Speaker 1: This is the Ben and Ashley I Almost Famous podcast with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Almost Says Podcast. It's been here with you today on the pod, and today I'm connecting with someone across the pond who we all got to know back on Colton season of the Bachelor and again during her time on Bachelor in Paradise season six. Now she's living her best life over in the UK. It's Katie Morton. Hello Katie, Hi, it has been a while since we've gotten to talk.
Speaker 3: I know, honestly, how are you? I know we're gonna ask how I am, et cetera about how are you?
Speaker 2: You know, Katie, I am in a really fun season of life and I cannot express to you how different it really is. It's like, you know, two years ago, a good day would mint I got a workout in and I worked and then I had some time to like read or chill and then hang out. Yeah, those things still exist, not as frequently, and a good day has enhanced with like this morning, before I did this, my wife had a meeting and Whennie and I went out bug hunting in our yard for like an hour and a half, and that was incredible, Like let me tell you, there is no greater joy than seeing like a little kid get excited about something crawling on the ground and that you're excited with them. So life looks different, but it's so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I keep hearing that it's like having kids opened your eyes to seeing life in a new again. Mm hm, like a whole new way, and you're re experiencing life from a completely different perspective. And I feel like that's one thing I'm really excited about and sounds just so magical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's an excitement to life that I think just like comes off on YouTube because they're excited about everything, and you're now excited about everything. And so many people had so many different things to me to say to me about having kids. Right some were like super jacked about it and said, hey, this is the coolest thing ever. Others were like, oh, there goes your golf game, and it's yeah, it's one hundred percent good. Like there are like things that I wish I didn't have to do, like my knees hurt from squatting a thousand times a day. But I think the perspective is when you are in the right place for it, there's no greater gift.
Speaker 3: I think the good probably always the bad.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even tell you. I was trying to think when I said it, like, what is something bad that I have to that Jess and I have to do now? And I can't really even think of anything bad. There's like unfortunate things like I still don't love cleaning a diaper, but you do it and it's not that bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of like I don't like not that this is a comparison, but like I don't like doing the dishes.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. It's very like it's like.
Speaker 3: It's a part of life, like you have to do it. It's not making my life worse.
Speaker 2: It's not making my life.
Speaker 3: It's making my life better in the sense I'm not living in filth. Yeah, obviously it's completely not the same as having a baby, but there's so many things in life that it's going to be like, yeah, I don't like that, but I have to do it.
Speaker 2: Yes, Katie, you were entering into something I would my only advice to you would be to say, buckle up, it's going to be an incredible ride.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, and you can do it.
Speaker 2: So, Hey, you're living in the UK, now, obviously we just got in with the World Cup over here in the States and England finished the highest day finished since their win in nineteen sixty six. What's the vibe like there, Because I know there were high expectations.
Speaker 3: Right, there was high hopes. I'm not sure if the expectations were as high as the hopes were to be completely honest. Also, British people are super known for like sweeping things under the rug. So as soon as we did not win, it was very much like, oh, anyway, it was very much as if it didn't happen for a lot of people. The next day, it didn't feel like the vibes were low. I thought vibes were going to be low. It was oh, we aren't talking about it really, okay. Yeah, And so it was more like as soon as we lost, everyone that I was around was like, oh, well, Spain's gonna win basically, and so yeah, the vibe was very high though going into the game, people were hoping and praying because they were basically going to make Monday Bank holiday if England won. And yeah, so there's lots of pride, but also at the same time England's I'm sure there's groups of people in England that are like sore losers. But I feel like there's other pockets of England that just pretend nothing ever happened, and I was in whatever pocket that was.
Speaker 2: Are you? I mean, I don't even know if this is a fair question ask. You don't even have to answer it. But if USA played England right now in the World Cup Finals, who are you cheering for?
Speaker 3: USA?
Speaker 4: Okay, but honestly, Norway the USA, Ya's USA, But it would mainly be for funsies to go against everybody I know here.
Speaker 3: But also I have a lot of American friends here, so we'd all kind of band together.
Speaker 2: The move to the UK happened, I believe in like twenty twenty two, correct, So it's been give or take four years. Yeah, what's been the hardest part?
Speaker 3: The transition wasn't too hard. It was more figuring out like visas all the time, constantly having to either try and get like a student. I had to get a student visa at one point and did my masters, not even to really do my masters, but because I really liked it here, I was like, I gotta find a way. I just wanted to experience it, and I completely understand why you can't just move to a country and then just live there. But I really wanted to, so I was like, I'm going to do what it takes. So I just wanted to have experience. A lot of people come over on work visas and with social media and stuff, it's just you can't go to work visa Like that's not a thing. So I went back to school and that was It was the visa stuff that was hard. But other than that, I also had like gone through a breakup when I first came over. Oh, and that was really hard but fine, Like it actually was really nice because it kind of like introduced me to England and then I really liked it, so it was a silver lining.
Speaker 2: So would you go back to get your master's on business business? Okay?
Speaker 3: I did business admin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I don't know this. I don't remember this part of your story. I do. I think remember a breakup, but you are now married. So you moved to the UK, I guess in my mind.
Speaker 3: Dating someone that was from England and we lived We were dating for a well over year and a half before moving to England and his job was an Englis and so we moved here and then I was just like, this is not my forever person. Okay, I mean it was just clear for me. I just like saw it so clearly. And then I saw my life so clearly, and then I was like, this isn't my forever person, but dang it, I really like it here. So obviously I was meant to come here for a reason. And at first I was like, am I just being stubborn just because I've done all this work? I just don't want to go home now? But I really liked it. I was like, I feel some sense of peace here that I didn't quite feel when I lived in La And I'm sure I could have done something easier, like moved to Colorado felt sense of peace there, but it just so happened that I found a community really quickly here and found that sense of peace. So I just decided to like send it.
Speaker 2: And then you met Nick, which is your now husband, while kind of in the in between over there.
Speaker 3: While I was when I was just about to finish school. Okay, I met Nick and on Hinge.
Speaker 2: It or not good for you.
Speaker 3: Everyone's like meeting on Hinge Tuesdays, but we met on Hinge and I was dating just generally at that time. It was the summer two years ago, and we just kind of kept hanging out forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was ard of one of those things. It wasn't like, oh my god, we just fill madly in love. It was just like we just kept wanting to hang out with each other and didn't stop. Yeah, and then now we're worried.
Speaker 2: Now you're married, and on June eighteenth, Katie, you announced that you're expecting. Uh, do you too know the gender of the baby?
Speaker 3: Yes, we do. It's a boy.
Speaker 2: It's a boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about boy?
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel so good. It's crazy because for many many years I was like, I'm going to be a boy mom. There's just like I feel that I'm a boy mom. I don't know why I said that, because like a girl would be great. And the week leading up to finding out the gender, I was like, actually, maybe I want a girl, like I know how to do girl things. Like I take it back, like maybe it's a girl. Maybe a girl, And I was like, what about dance, you know? And I was like, but I always said I would be a boy mom. And then we found out it's a boy, and I was over the moon. I was gonna be happy either way.
Speaker 2: Sure, Oh I don't think. I think when that questions asked, I don't think there is a a better or worse. I do find it interesting, though, because if I was honest with myself, I would say, yeah, I was always going to be a girl, dad, like a hundred percent you were.
Speaker 3: You really were always going to be a girl dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like there was zero dow. I mean, I don't know. One day, maybe a little boy squeaks in there. But I always knew that I was built, you know, to get stickers put on my face, and you know, like you could have.
Speaker 3: A boy and you will be so great and it would make so much sense whatever. But you were going to be a girl dad. It was no question. And that's literally how I have felt if like, that's how I've always kind of felt, like I'm probably going to be a boy mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure, like I just like.
Speaker 5: That's who I am.
Speaker 2: What about Nick?
Speaker 3: He didn't carry either way. He's one of three boys, so the chances of having a boy were higher. Yeah, let's be honest. He didn't carry their way. But he did look a little like for two seconds sad, he goes, I thought it was going to be a girl. All yeah, like you could just tell like he was like, I actually thought I was going to be a girl. And the way he looked like was just like I'm excited it's a boy. But man, that would have been also very cool. And I guess it's not like a gender disappointment thing you do like mourn for two seconds, like your life could go one way or another, not that it's side stone, but for a couple of seconds you're like you see it the years.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think I would imagine, if we speak for him, if you grew up with all boys, there is an excitement to the new of like a girl, possibility of hey, the boy would be great, but I've done this boy thing for a long time surrounded by boys, Like having another like little girl would be exciting. It would be different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he did say like it would be a little me and like when he's talked about it, he'd be like, is it be a little you like attitude and all. Yeah, but his best friend has a girl, and I think his best friend's really softened up having a girl. So I think he really has enjoyed seeing his friend kind of change in that way. Yeah, So I think that's kind of what was behind it. But he's going to be a great yeah either.
Speaker 2: Way, Yeah, one hundred percent. No, they definitely do make me softer. The obviously, my wife is pregnant right now. I this is our second go around. I've seen the different stages of pregnancy all miraculous and wonderful, and I'm so glad I don't have to do it. But you know, you opened up in the past about being diagnosed with narcolepsy, and I don't think that's like com I mean, you've talked about it publicly, but I was before we got on. I wanted to make sure that that was true and that you didn't mind talking about it. I know that being pregnant makes you very tired, uh, and your energies are sucked. I'm assuming and you tell me, I'm just this is my question is does narcolepsy make it worse? Is there like a like what's happening in your body now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So, I mean, of course I can't quite compare because I don't know without it. But my first trimester, like a lot of women, I was so wiped, but I did have it felt so uncontrollable with narcolepsy. I feel like I've felt times where I felt it being more like narcolepsy, and then I felt it being more like something I'm not experienced, and that's where I was like, there seems to be a difference here between when it's a narcaliptic situation and when it's pregnancy or aka the thing I've not experienced yet, because narcolepsy feels like I'm like weak to my core, like my muscles are melting into the bed type of thing, and pregnancy just felt like like head tired, like I just had to just get to sleep. And there were times when it felt like both and I couldn't quite determine either way. I was sleeping all the time. And now, because narcolepsy's kind of also characterized by not getting RESTful sleep, it's really hard to decipher, Like, Okay, I know as people get bigger, their sleep isn't as RESTful as well, So like is this narclepsy is it pregnancy? What I can say is I'm feeling really lucky because I had to get off of my narcollepsy medication in order to do this pregnancy because there could be a lot of bad side effects et cetera. And so I was really nervous that it could take me out more than it has, and I feel like I'm very well managed. But I have slept more during the day than I normally ever would. But I'm like, also, other other pregnant people are too. I will say, though, I think it's really beneficial for me, as someone who's narcleptic and pregnant to not have a traditional nine to five. I think that that would be a different story, and I think that I would be not as effective for whoever my employer was, because I can tell I like space out more. I'm just like I can get really slow in conversation and my processing times are slower, and I'm just tired from I mean nine am until until so I have spouts of energy and I try and do everything in the morning and then in the afternoons. I like, see how I'm feeling, but I really can't tell because other women are saying they're super tired when they're pregnant.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, I don't know, it sounds like a blessing. Then like that you can't tell, Like it sounds like it's the best case scenario, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because I have narcolepsy with cataplexy, which is like technically the falling over, but I don't fall over sleeping. I follow over with big emotions like laughing. I will like my knees will go weak and I'll like fall on the floor, like I'll like drop to my knees like laughing, And that is part of narcolepsy. But it doesn't look like it. It just looks like I'm dramatic.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't want to like derail us here from the big moment of you bringing life into this world. But narcolepsy is very fascinating to me because obviously I'm only familiar with uh well, I'm most familiar with like the movie scenes where somebody's driving and all of a sudden they're.
Speaker 3: Like or like rat race, like with mister p.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Is that how it is or is it different?
Speaker 3: No, it's not. It's it constantly is like misdiagnosed as depression or ADHD or like. It takes people eight to ten years typically to get diagnosed with narcolepsy because it's hides itself as so many other things because technically it's excessive daytime sleepiness, but oh so many things can cause excessive day time sleepiness, like how late you stay up, how much you're on your phone, how stressed you are, Like there's a million things, so it's hard for people. And I just had a family history of seizures, which is why they tested me for seizures and found out I had narcolepsy. But I mean, anytime I cry, I have to take a nap afterwards because I can't keep my eyes open. If I'm laughing like way too hard, way too much, I'm like too weak to stand up. So that's part of the cataplexy thing. But I'm not falling over falling asleep. And I kind of describe it as like a toddler, like I get hyper or cranky right before I need a nap.
Speaker 2: But you were diagnosed as a teenager. But then, how long the world did you do the Bachelor? I don't know. I mean I think there's like way medicine, Okay, I was gonna say Paradise feels like it would be a consistent emotional rollercoaster of needing to sleep.
Speaker 3: Oh it was. It was like Paradise was I obviously was on medicine, but at the same time, like your medicine's only supposed to you're supposed to still sleep a good night's sleep, yeah, and then take medicine and you're not doing that. So there was this cry scene that I remember with what Wills and I.
Speaker 2: Will blubbering Wills, Okay.
Speaker 3: I was blubbering. I just remember. I was like, my brain was malfunctioning. I was not computing. I was crying. I felt so tired. I was like, I just want to go to bed and I don't want to deal with strong emotions right now. And I had no choice, and I don't even know what came out of my mouth. It wasn't English, it was. But yeah, I think there were definitely moments on Paradise where I think there's a couple of scenes where I'm doing this and it looks like I'm crying, but I'm like, I just want to go to bed. Yeah, So yeah, it was hard.
Speaker 2: I bet Okay, switching back gears here, I just want to send you a word of support of Hey, yeah, pregnancy is not easy on anybody. It's a big deal. It's a wild thing. It's crazy when you start to think too much about it. And you've got a lot of people probably listening to this that are just sending their thoughts of support as you continue through it. It's worth it, it is, Yeah, And I hope that you get like a really good sleeper, Like I hope that for you. I hope this little guy comes down and he's like, I'm gonna give mom good night's rest. Yeah, but it also flies by. I mean goodness, it's like three months and all of a sudden, like sleeping gets better for most, not all.
Speaker 3: And there's something to be said about adrenaline. Adrenaline will carry you far and like, yeah, like it's not like because with narcolepsy, like I'm still totally affected by adrenaline, and so if I feel like it's like I need to do this as like or death, like adrenaline will kick it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's it's uh, it's it's a wild time that I don't even hardly remember. And it wasn't that long ago for me that the first you just kind of do it and then you know, all of a sudden, you have a little kid walking around. I am curious though, You've done a lot of interesting things in your life. Obviously, as we mentioned Nick, you've gotten married. He sounds great. You've mentioned his excitement in becoming a dad, but you also moved to the UK has what's the wildest UK slang that you can't quite get used to or that makes you giggle every time you hear it?
Speaker 3: Wildness UK slang? Oh my plate teacher called me popit this morning?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: She's like, you are right, popit? Or like she said something like pop it. That's just like darling, but it's very like an East London vibe. But she's said it was such a thick accent. So if anyone ever calls me popit, I giggle because it just feels so.
Speaker 2: British does yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like you get pop it and she does a little thing the whole you all right, you're are you all right? People say you are right that that means like how are you, but they actually don't expect a response. And I used to say I'm okay and you and that's not really what they're looking for. It's you all right, and then you say you are right and then it's done.
Speaker 2: Oh so you respond with the same thing they just said, like no one.
Speaker 3: Cares okay, it's like you're right, yeah, you're right, and then you're done. And then that's it's like, hey, hey, so that I was very confused in the beginning, and I was answering very robotically and caught off guard because I'd be like, I'm fine, yeah, like I'm okay. So that I guess popa is one I can think of off the top of my head because it's just like cute and funny.
Speaker 2: The uh, well, I think that is cute and funny. Have you noticed yourself developing an accent?
Speaker 3: No, I don't have an accent. I don't think, but I do say different words. I say quite quite a lot. I say quite You're like that's quite nice. I say stuff like that, but I don't have an accent. I actually ran into an American this weekend who was while you were in the Cotswaltz and she said, are you guys from America? The whole table was except for Nick and we were like yeah, And I was like, are you obviously from here? And she's like, no, I'm from America and I was like, you're British. Her accent was so and I was like, people always ask me that question, do you find yourself developing an accent? I'm like, no, how could you kind of thing? She can she did, She's been here for two years, so I was like, Okay, I guess it's not going to happen for me. Like my accent is how I sound, but I think some people are maybe more susceptible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could find myself. I mean honestly, I think I would be one. When I go down and spend months in Honduras, like I'll I'll be starting to like speak the speak the language here, the language, understand the language use similar like slang in terms that they use in the Yeah, in the in the region that I'm in, And then I get back here and I'm a month back in the States and I don't have any of it left. Like I don't know. I'm a weird one like that. I'm very susceptible to the environment I'm in. I think, well, I say.
Speaker 3: The words and some of the slang, but there's a difference between completely having the accent m yeah, and sounding like you are from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was susceptible to mocking when I first got here on accident. Really not mocking, but like kind of because if someone had a really strong accent, I would almost do it back.
Speaker 2: Sure that happened, Yeah, that may I'm glad you said it makes sense like you would. It's almost like watching a movie and like quoting the line back when it's like somebody British on the movie and you're like that, that's like a really cool way they said that, and then you say it back to them and then like what do you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's like oh, sorry, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey Katie. As we close up here, it's so good to catch up with you. I you know, there's a lot of reasons why I want to have you on the talk. One of the biggest is, obviously, you know, the celebration of a marriage and life coming into the world. What are you and Nick, if you can speak for him, most excited about when it comes to being parents or most nervous about. Does the nerves outweigh the excitement right now? And that's okay if it does.
Speaker 3: I think in the beginning it did, because it all felt like, oh, okay, so we're okay, so I'm pregnant, and so it felt very like, Okay, this is big, this is a big deal, because up until then it's very conceptual, like it's so much like a concept, like I couldn't quite make it reel in my head, I think what we're most I'm most nervous about, naturally is just the labor day, the day of giving birth. I think what we're most excited about is probably also the day of giving birth simultaneously. But also I'm excited to see us both change, like in the way that our hearts will both expand because I think we're both filled with a lot of love, and I'm excited to kind of just like fall in love with something so much. I feel like that's my biggest excitement, is like I get something to fall in love with that's all ours.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, there's many a night where we'll be laying in bed as a family and jess what it can mean and say, can you believe she's ours? And you just can't. It's it's impossible. And that first day is is a wild experience for you and Nick and everybody involved. And then it is just filled with the most the coolest thing ever. And that's what I want to share is it's you. You are going to be great. It's gonna rocket, It's gonna be an incredible ride here of a life full of love. Let me tell you that that is one thing I can promise you is love is not the issue. Uh, there's so much love that comes in. It's the greatest thing ever. And so I'm pumped for you. I'm excited for the two of you to do this together. And I'm also excited for that first moment where you because I do it with my wife, I know she does with me. Like when you see Nick step into that dad role and you're watching this person that you love love on this other thing that you love, and goodness, the world will never be the same. Yeah, it just changes everything. It's the best crazy Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's really crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy for you.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. I'm happy for you. It's a it's a it's a good thing to celebrate. Uh, it's it's a fun chapter in life that you're You said it perfectly, like it's all conceptual. And I was the most nervous person internally leading up to having a child, Like, wait, do I really think I can do this? Do I really want to do this? Was a question?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how am I? That was my questions in the first trimester. And now I'm more of like, it's already happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then once it happens you're like, oh, yeah, like this is all this is the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been like whoa, oh my god, Okay, do I actually want to be a parent? Well okay, well no I'm gonna so.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's very much like.
Speaker 2: And then you and then you are and then you don't question anything. Yeah, more than if you know how to do it and you'll figure it out along the way. Nobody does perfectly. So Katie, pumped for you, will be following your journey. When's the due date?
Speaker 3: End of November? November Thanksgiving baby, there you go.
Speaker 2: The holiday babies, We're we're doing to end of December. So well, if you need anything to the end of December. Yeah, holiday babies, Yeah, they're just I just don't want them to have to share a birthday with a holiday. That's my one hope, selfish hope for them. Katie. Congrats, keep being you, thanks for jumping on today, and we wish you the best in the months ahead.
Speaker 3: Thanks Ben, this has been great. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Follow the Ben and Ashley I Almost Famous podcasts on iHeartRadio or subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts.