Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios. Podcasts. Radio news.
Speaker 2: This is what the build up is to a World Cup. It's all about the problems. Then once it starts it focused on the football. It'll hopefully be eventful and entertaining and live up to expectations. I think it's more off the field. There are concerns is it just going to be purely corporate? Are we pricing out real supporters?
Speaker 1: Gary Lineker, podcaster and media boss. Have you got a guarantee from Netflix that if you want to criticize President Trump on air on Netflix through the podcast, that's okay with them.
Speaker 2: I've not asked them that question. We're doing a show every single day, so there will be some days where we might need something to talk about. But I'm hoping we don't have to, but I fear we might have to.
Speaker 1: From Bloomberg Weekend, this is the Mishal Husain show. I'm Mishal Husain. I'm going to say right at the outset here that when you hear the word football in this episode, which you will a lot, I don't mean American football, but what you might know as soccer. I'm afraid I have to stick to football because that's the way it is in my DNA, and that's how it is for my guest too, Gary Lineker, who was a top goal scorer for England before he moved from competitive sport to sports broadcasting. He went on to have a long career with the BBC, ending in a rather public falling out which you will hear us discuss. But now his own podcast, The Rest Is Football, is on Netflix every day of this World Cup, so I wanted him to take us into the atmosphere of a big moment like this, a tournament hosted by three countries, the US and Mexico, the fact that the organizers gave President Trump a Peace Prize, and then there's the commercialization of the game. And I don't just mean this World Cup, but the game in general clubs across Europe. By the way, Gary Lineker is really more podcast boss than mere podcaster because his company, Goalhanger, is right at the forefront of the audio industry. So that comes up too. We grabbed some time in his diary before he headed off to New York, and when he walked into the studio there was a copy of his book on the table, a twenty ten World Cup diary. His reaction wasn't what I imagined. Here's what happened. Actually, may seriously you don't remember this, Oh you better have a quick flick through it yourself. I'm maybe quoting bits of it at you. It was your World Cup, your World Cup diary that year. I did wonder why there was only one, because clearly you've been at plenty of World Cup since then, So maybe this is you've.
Speaker 2: I have no memory of that. That's the first time I think I've ever seen that book, or even when it came out. I didn't know it even did come up. I have no memory that I did that.
Speaker 1: You say, well, you definitely got talked into it. You say as much of the introduction. So here we are thanks to all that Simon and Schuster, particularly in Chapman, who took me out for lunch and persuaded me that this was a good idea. Oh an idea.
Speaker 2: Clearly, if you've forgotten, that's what happens when you get older. You forget everything.
Speaker 1: You were fifteen. You were fifteen years younger when this came out. So no desire to add books to the to the media empire.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 1: I guess I'd love to start Gary by just getting your expectations and thoughts on this particular World Cup because you've seen many. I think your first as a player was nineteen eighty six. Research well that much. I should have the starters, but you've seen them from different angles, so set the scene for this one for us.
Speaker 2: Well, football wise, I think once it gets underway, it'll hopefully be eventful and entertaining and live up to expectations. I think it's more off the field there are concerns, but that's been the case of every World Cup that I think have covered and played in. It's hard to remember them that long ago. But if even in eighty six it was the height of Mexican cartels and all that it was in Mexico, So nineteen ninety we had huge hooligans and problem and actually tried to pull us out on was at one point. So it's been ever thus in some ways, you know, even in recent times, you've got Brazil twenty fourteen, huge demonstrations on the streets and they shouldn't be spending this amount of money on you know, stadiums when they could be helping the infrastructure of the country. Then we got twenty eighteen, just four years before Russia's in Lady Crimea, So there's a lot of hulla below about that. Four years onto Qatar, you're talking about GBTQ rights, you know, people dying in the building of the stadiums, you know. So I'm used to this. This is what the build up is to a World Cup. It's all about the problems. Then once it starts, it focused on the football. But you know, there's a distinct possibility at the moment that the host nation, or one of the three host nations, the main host nation obviously America, could be at war with you know, one of the teams that are in the tournament.
Speaker 1: As things stand, Iran are coming, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly, they are coming. So you know, we don't know from day to day what's going to happen. So yeah, this is a little bit different, but hopefully a little bit like I remember going in Russia and everything was cleaned up before they came, and a lot of the Russian people saying, this is the best it's ever been here, it's amazing, and so I'm hoping it'll be a little bit like that, and that I know, people like Ice are not taking fans off the streets. Well that's a.
Speaker 1: Good It's a good question, right, because there is that sense that it's possible that these you know, international gatherings of fans to watch. This is a place that I could be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and some reports that you know, some players are not getting visas. Hopefully it'll all will be okay for the World Cup. So I'm looking forward to actually the football started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is the atmosphere that surrounds it. And there are other elements, for example, Journey and Fantino, FIFA's close friendship with Donald Trump. Do you think that has gone beyond the norm when a country is about to host the World Cup and the way that FIFA has to interact with that whose nation, I find it.
Speaker 2: Very peculiar and very odd. Actually I think we call him Sikofantino. Now I think that's new. But yeah, I think the whole thing, you know, the Peace Prize and all that sort of nonsense, and so it's it's a concern, you know, and other things like that. You know, the pricing of the tickets is astronomical compared with previous World Cups, and obviously you know, FIFA must be involved in the ticket pricing, et cetera. And they're supposed to be a non for profit organized you know. They they've got billions in the bank and it's supposed to go straight back into the sport. Hopefully it does. But the ticket pricing seems off the chart. It's going to be really, really expensive. And one of the great joys of a World Cup seeing all the Brazilian fans and the Argentinian fans and the African fans and you know, people of Senegal and and even from Europe, you know, the dots or turning up in you know, in Orange and et cetera. Are we going to see that? I don't know. Is it just going to be purely corporate? Are we pricing out real supporters? So there are a lot of concerns going into the World Cup. Illiterate what I said before. This has often been the case and once it, once it gets going, it's okay.
Speaker 1: So fingers crossed Jenny and Fantino and Donald Trump. The Peace Prize, which you mentioned, I want to just like fill in the blanks a bit for anyone who didn't follow that at the time. For me, well, the basics was that not long after Donald Trump did not win the Nobel Prize, it was announced that he was going to win a FIFA Peace Prize.
Speaker 2: It was the most peculiar. I just don't understand why. I think it was partly eager.
Speaker 1: Who's ego into Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: He wanted to do something, and you know, obviously he seems to be cozy up very much to the President of the United States, you know, fair enough, but I thought that was a step too far. I mean, who's going to win it? For a years time?
Speaker 1: Someone at the time he said that Donald Trump deserved to win this prize, but there was clearly a kind of lack of transparency around what the criteria were.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know what the criteria was.
Speaker 1: Is this these questions that you can ask on air on the podcast because the rest of his football is going to be on Netflix every day through the World Cup, do you envisage talking about this kind of thing?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I would think so. Yeah. I don't think there'll be any doubt that we can talk about whatever. That's the beautiful podcast you're doing one now you can go where you want.
Speaker 1: But it's new, isn't it Netflix putting a podcast like yours on and I just wondered that there's going to be a different vibe or even different understanding with them.
Speaker 2: Netflix have said to us the reason that they wanted our podcast to give them a part of the World Cup that they didn't have four years ago because they liked the way it was. So we'll have a lot of fun. We'll talk a lot about football, but will naturally discuss, you know, if ordinary fans can't get in, or if there's any issues going on outside. We're doing a show every single day, so there will be some days, well we might need something to talk about, but I'm hoping we don't have to, but I fear we might have to.
Speaker 1: But have you have have you got a guarantee from Netflix that if you want to criticize President Trump on Netflix through the podcast, that's okay with them because the American media is in a funny place overall.
Speaker 2: On that topic, Well, I've not asked them that question, but I suspect that it'll be okay.
Speaker 1: This is the backdrop to the tournament, Well it is.
Speaker 2: At the moment, but it was the same I remember with Putin in twenty eighteen. But once the tournament started, there's so many as four football matches a day, so hopefully there won't be any issues to talk about.
Speaker 1: But if there is, of course we will, And how do you feel about it being this long stretch, longer tournament than usual, bigger tournament than usual, the fact that there's going to be forty eight teams this time, because I've heard people say Infantino himself that means it's more inclusive, teams are making their World Cup debut, and other people saying it's a money grab, it just shouldn't be that big.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's a bit of both. There is part of me that says there are players and countries that will have an opportunity to play in a World Cup which they would never have been able to do. That's a real positive. The number of games that the players are going to be asked to play in tough conditions will be really difficult demanding players. At some point they've got to give somewhere. With footballers, they played too many games and it's just the fill in the calendar. There's no break at all. So in this World Cup, it's not the fact that you've got more teams necessary, but the way they've structured it is that we now have a round of thirty two. So after the group stages, where pretty much it's pretty much impossible for any really good team not to get through to the knockout stage. But I actually quite like an extra round in that sense because there's more drama, there's more jeopardy. Because the group stages, I think frankly then never you'll get the odd upset, but generally the best teams will go through, and I think that would be the same. I think a lot of the interest in the group stages will be the smaller nations playing for the first time. Got us out and contries like that, and Jordan and there are a lot of others, and I think that'll be special. But I think the World Cup will really start once she gets to the last th two.
Speaker 1: But also the logistics, the distances involved, and the borders, because you are talking about a World Cup over three countries much Canada, Yeah, exactly, so I'm not sure that's happened before.
Speaker 2: We've had two South Korea in Japan shared it, and the next one will be three as well, and to Morocco, Spain and Portugal. I mean, it's predominantly in the States.
Speaker 1: Certainly the finals in the States.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of way more matches in the States, but America's a very, very large country, but they've had a World Cup there before, so that travel is not too problematical. But yeah, logistically it will be difficult for both the teams, the players and people covering it as well well.
Speaker 1: Exactly so for you, people in the UK will know you for being the voice on the BBC of football over such a long time. You're now going to have this global audience and you're going to cover it for the duration wherever the tournament goes. How different an experience is it going to be for you?
Speaker 2: It will be quite different, although we've got I think we've got a sort of smidgeon of the experience in Berlin and the Euros two years ago. But obviously this is a much higher end production because not only is it a podcast, it's also going to be, you know, a TV show that goes out sort of as live. Will be recording most of the shows in the evening, so it's it's a lot of work, slightly daunting, but incredibly exciting. There's a lot of planning. We've been planning for a long time. We've got loads of great guests which I can't say yet, but you know, our bass studio is right above Times Square. I'm really genuinely, it's something different from me as well. Obviously I've covered lord knows how many World Cups for everyone since ninety four and played in the two previous ones, so I've covered them all. But this will be different. Obviously we don't have the football, We're not showing any of the games, but the BBC and IT they have the rights to show the matches. Such as the nature of the World Cup and the way the rights are sold, and they're sold to inter dual countries obviously all around the world where they buy the rights, I can't see the World Cup. Who knows. The way the world is changing, the way television is changing, whether one entity, whether it be a you know, Netflix or Amazon or whoever, could buy the whole World Cup rights to show everywhere. But it'll be lighthearted, it will be fun and sometimes it'll be serious.
Speaker 1: You know what it reminds me of hearing you talk about it is when you did the Olympics in twenty twelve, because you and I were both part of the BBC lineup, not together at different points in the day. But I think that was a moment for you where you were going beyond football for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd done golf and I also worked on I worked on the Olympics in was it ninety was the one in Atlanta? Was it ninety six? And that was kind of my first role and I that was an interesting experience because I wasn't ready really but I had the night shift anyway, No I was watching, but that's good place Olympic. I was doing the primetime show and it was and it was I mean, I had to do some studying for that.
Speaker 1: I mean because I remember the book they gave us. They gave us like a massive farm like that for the World Cup every time you've seen it before the football, and I never really read.
Speaker 2: I know football, I know the players. I watched million games a year, but with the Olympics, I had to do so much research into not necessary the people involved in them, but actually how the sports worked, because you can't go on a show like that and not know you stuff. But it was quite funny because I'd go in early, we'd watch the games all day and we were doing really well, really successful. And what happened is because we I think the prime we did seven o'clock till ten o'clock and we'd get guests in someone who won the gold medal that day, or you know, the early days, it was someone who won a medal. Then it became so successful it was who won gold medals. And we were in there one night and I had nine separate interviews and you didn't really know who we're going to get until late on because some people are pulled out and cancer. Somebody wo win a gold medal, and they brushed them into the studio and I remember i'd four lads were brought in sat next to me and we got about thirty seconds to go, and the floor manager, Chris, I looked at them and I went to help help he and he went, I don't know. And as I was introducing them, they were telling me their names in their ear and it was like what they do? Meanwhile they want a gold medal.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile they're completely starstruck because they're sitting on the looking at you.
Speaker 2: But you know, I do it.
Speaker 1: I do remember for the same because I was on in the morning, so very far away from primetime. But I also remember at one point taekwondo coming on and realizing there was a moment where I had to talk over the live pictures of taekwondo and frantically trying to look up the relevance and that book. I can tell you that now there was buried somewhere in that file. But I also remember once the speaking of the medal winners, the brilliant women rowers came on, who had done all the rowers did really well, And I was talking to Catherine Granger, who's now very.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah they were, I mean, they were very much into mad but they came.
Speaker 2: Your interview is much better.
Speaker 1: They came on, and at one point I very very foolishly said to Catherine Granger that I had once rode at university. And when my husband heard me say this, he was like, that was the most embarrassing question you ever asked. That is like saying to Gary Lineker, I once played football.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: If it's embarrassing, And I thought, yeah it was. It was nothing like that, but it was a very long time ago. But it was a very lame thing to bring up. So but yeah, medal winners, it's fantastic, it's their moment. It was not a fed how dare you?
Speaker 2: It's not a head.
Speaker 1: But I wasn't very good, as probably you can expect. I do want to ask you about the trend with funding and investment in English clubs over the last two decades. Because you've seen this, it's not just the individual wealthy owners, it's now the sovereign wealth funds and private equity and asset managers of all kinds. What is the impact do you think of this on the game.
Speaker 2: It does concern me, I think, particularly once we went down the line of sovereign states. But that train has left the station, so it's difficult. It's an odd one. I mean, most of our football club's are owned by Americans. Premier League teams are owned by Americans, you know, billionaires, which is odd considering it's not their sport.
Speaker 1: Really becoming more their sport though you can well see that in demand for growing for tickets, the interest is growing.
Speaker 2: It's funny that American friends and they going, do you think we've got a good chance? Some kind zero chance? They went, what do you mean, so you've got zero chance?
Speaker 1: Sorry, any Americans, someone has to break it to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's better to know, because it's the hope that destroys you.
Speaker 1: We've learned that, we've learned that they're young in footballing terms. Yeah, but there is an Americanism around the around the World Cup. Isn't there that there's dynamic pricing, probably trying to make the whole model more like American football or American sports more widely.
Speaker 2: That's concerning I think. I mean I mentioned it earlier, but the ticket price, ticket pricing, just if you're pricing out real fans completely, that's not going to be the same World Cup. So let's see what transpires. But it's a serious concern for me.
Speaker 1: And going back to the English Premier League clubs, is the impact of money of that kind and from those quarters flowing in that players start to be treated more as commodities or was that always the case.
Speaker 2: Well, it's better than it used to be. The players that actually have quite a bit of control now on things and obviously earned huge amounts huge, huge salaries. But when I was playing, you know, you're basically a piece of meat. You could be sold anywhere, and they basically threatened you that you you're planning the reserves if you don't go. So they actually have more power than they used to and obviously a lot more money, so you know, it's probably gone a bit out of control in some ways. But it's football's big business now, huge business.
Speaker 1: I do wonder if doing the work up on Netflix means something to you personally, because when you finally left the BBC, did you think that that kind of spotlight wouldn't be on you anymore? I mean, you're doing the rest is Football and your media boss now, but does it mean something to you to be in demand for Well?
Speaker 2: I knew you'll be covering this World Cup, didn't know quite how. I knew we'd do the podcast. I think our intention was to go out anyway, so I knew i'd be covering it. But the Netflix thing obviously is really exciting, which I wouldn't have been able to do. I feel really chuffed actually in a way. I mean, obviously I was with the BBC a long time, and you know, I think it was like a long marriage. In the end, we just kind of got fed up with each other, so so I had, you know, I left, and at that point I was going to host the World Cup for them. That was going to be my kind of last Turrah. But I've ended up now doing it for Netflix now being New York and the BBC inexplicably based in Salford for the World Cup, which I don't understand. And if I'd have been the main presenter. I would have been banging doors down.
Speaker 1: About that Greater Manchester essentially at the BBC Sports Base, not sending the anchors to the World Cup year.
Speaker 2: I mean, the commentation wud be there and the co commentators obviously, and you know they may if England go really well, they may go out to the semi or the final or something. I suppose. But yeah, I just I wouldn't. I wouldn't have been happy. So for me, it's it's turned out. It's turned out really well and I'm still talking about football.
Speaker 1: So that long marriage with the BBC. Do you regret the way it came to an end?
Speaker 2: I regret, Yeah, I think it was unfortunate. You know, just to explain that, there's an Instagram post that was was talking about the Israeli issue, iism, et cetera, and then I missed it. But there was a little rat emoji on the post that I put on my story and no one noticed for about seventeen hours and then then somebody did, and then it you know, I apologize because apparently it has you know, connotations around you know, Jewish tropes, and that's not something I would ever do. And I would never imagine for a minute that any kind of human being should be compared with the rat. So it was really unfortunate. I apologize, I thought, and then I apologized again. Thought that should probably be enough, but it wasn't. And in the end I just thought, oh, come on, let's just end this. You know, we're not getting on very well at the moment. I don't think anybody anybody thought that I did that deliberately. I mean, I am stupid, but I'm not that stupid, so I don't think anyone really did. So I regret the manner of that, and it was you know, it's unfortunate, and if it upset anyone, I remain sorry to this day. But it was certainly not deliberate.
Speaker 1: And in that period that time, after the first few hours, what's happening, Like there's a flurry of phone calls to you, to your agent, Like what was the experience actually, Like I was.
Speaker 2: Actually just going down to Bournemouth to do an interview for the podcast and I was in I was in the car, my son was driving, and the phone went and it was my agent. You said, We've just had a call from the Beeb and they said, there's there's you posted something with a rat emoji that is supposedly a Jewish trope, and I went, no, I haven't it went he says, I've just looked there is one on there? Went really, So then I checked and I just went out. So I thought, oh, this is not good, so immediately deleted it and this should an apology and then it went obviously up and above and it looked like it's gonna be all right for a few days. But actually now maybe it was for the best, not the way it happened, but the freedom. And it's just like you weight the world's off your shoulders and not treading on eggshells anymore when you were. It's very difficult at the BBC the last few years, the way the goalposts have moved as well. I know in using Current Affairs, you've always had that thing where you've got to be really careful and you've got to be evenly balanced, and but that never applied to anyone outside news and Current Affairs until they decided to move the goal post. And I'd already been on social media a few years and I have you know, I have views, I have views, And then suddenly they said, well you can't have any views anymore. So and I just thought, well, well, no, there's nothing in my contract about that.
Speaker 1: And do you think that is because of the power of the right leaning press. I wonder if you'd had strong views for Brexit or you know, for strong policies against immigration or that kind of thing, whether you think you would ever have gotten into the same kind because there was because there was a whole lot of things before this, before Gaza, that certain papers were going before.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you know, and basically there have always been humanitarian issues. I mean, I gave my opinion on I just told people I was voting not to leave, to stay, to remain. That was and it nearly forgot the word nice ten years. Yeah, so and that was it. I never told anyone else what to do. But that was probably the first time I'd ever aired any kind of political views. And then subsequently it's always been humanitarian issues. And I think that's different to politics, or well, politics is in everything. So you know when they say, you know, just stick to your football and stay out of politics, well there's a lot of politics in football as well, so you can you can't have it always, but yeah, it was it was a difficult time. We kind of grew a little bit apart. If I'd have been even said anything sort of islamophobic or seemingly that way, I don't think it would be treated in the same way, particularly by some of the newspapers who seem pretty obsessed.
Speaker 1: See, in the time since your media business, Goalhanger has got more and more successful, even in the even in this year since you've fully left the BBC, and it had a record breaking year last year, and amongst the stable are podcast like the rest is politics, And I just wondered if there's anything that you see slightly differently now, like could you imagine as Goalhanger presumably continues to grow ever having rules for your host that go any way towards what you had the BBC.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, we don't. We're not cursed with that at the BBC are cursed. I mean, it's very, very difficult because people will always see bias, but generally the bias is their own, so you can't win, you know. I love the BBC. I think it's it's still an amazing institution. It's got its issues, got its problems, and some of them are right at the top at the moment, and if you know, if you want impartiality, it has to start the top, and it's not right there at the moment. I don't believe that's my personal view. But when we come to goal hanger, it's completely up to them what they talk about. We've got posts that know their stuff and sometimes they'll have strong views and they don't have to be balanced all the time, cause I think it's really important that it should be just the truth. Obviously, you don't want to put out there things that lead people astray, and you've got to be kind of careful with that. But we never ever tell them what to say.
Speaker 1: Or there's no do you suggest how about doing such and such period in history or person on leading. All the rest is following. You're a media boss, now.
Speaker 2: Well I am. Yeah, I know, but I don't feel like one. It's been a crazy ride, it really has.
Speaker 1: It is a form of power, and you are a very politically aware, a student engaged person. Do you relish having that power?
Speaker 2: Don't? I don't see it like that. I'd relish what we're giving to people and the amount of enjoyment that people are getting from our podcasts, and I'd find that really really inspiring.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to think how almost full circle it is. So Golhanger started in the kind of meat you thought would be in sports documentaries, and then then who knew that audio would have this incredible growth. But now all audio is visualized going back again.
Speaker 2: It's time of full cycle in a way. But still at the majority of our our listeners, or well they are listeners because.
Speaker 1: Just the members, do you now the old business model is all about the members.
Speaker 2: Partly because you know, you never know with advertising stuff. So yeah, we've got a lot of members clubs and each most of the podcast not done one for football yet. I think we hopefully launched that after the World Cup. Possibly we've had a bit on a hands lately last Yeah, yeah, it's it's yeah. Business wise, it's mad. I mean, it's incredibly successful, and you know, we just we're just kind of creatives. We don't really know what we're doing, but we've blagged it.
Speaker 1: Well, you've kickstarted or played a huge role in the growth of an entire industry in which I'm hoping that there's room for the younger, newer entrance, not younger in age new entries.
Speaker 2: Definitely younger in age, definitely well that's it. There's plenty of room. It's not like you've got a television schedule, is it. We've got IV against BBC and you go, oh there we're up again. Strictly, we've got no chance. With the podcasting. You just do it in you know, just particularly from the audible side of things. You just you can do it on the dog walk or I do it when I'm cooking, and all the time I have to keep up to date with all that podcast.
Speaker 1: But one more question on this, which is I do wonder what if it ends up eating the news business journalism. What if already loads of people will form their worldview from the rest is politics and the rest is history, and they'll be they might well be turning straight to opinion rather than getting their news elsewhere. It's the creator economy. What happens if it destroys journalism in its traditional sense, I think.
Speaker 2: Not highly unlikely. I think journalism will always be there. It might move slightly, but I think it's hard to imagine that. I mean, there's so much news going on. I don't think you could.
Speaker 1: The money is probably on your side rather than no, I'm not putting money into news.
Speaker 2: Not so much. I don't know. I mean, television is changing, obviously, it's shifting a little bit more towards streaming, but it's still you know, it's still alive. It's still live and kicking, and there's a lot of you know, people still listen to radio and get their news in different ways. You know, there's still a large percentage of people have not discovered podcasts yet either, so particularly the elderly like me, like may I've got my bus passed now and I think so so. But I you know, I got into it early, thankfully, when I was in my mid fifties, not my mid sixties.
Speaker 1: I can't let you go without asking you about England. England, not the country, the team, the men's team, because this year it's sixty years since at a senior level the men first one sixty years have heard since they last won a major tournament. And I'm just keen to understand from you why you think that is, Like, how can we have this immense disconnect between that length of time without a major title and true where football is so alive, which has got one of the most successful domestic leads in the world.
Speaker 2: While there are a number of reasons we want to work up in sixty six when it was in our own country. It's the only time it's been here, and that does give you an advantage. But since then a lot of reasons. One, our development of young players was appalling up until probably fifteen years ago, and it started to change. You know, it's all we used to play on full sized pitches. No one and the rest of the world could understand it. We us played little kids of like eight, nine, ten, eleven on full sized pitches. So what you do then you get the kid that was the biggest and strongest at the back that could well it, and we never really learned to play. That has changed so and that is the reason now where are actually competitive in tournaments these days, because we are producing a lot more talent. We have had spells where we've produced talented players, but we've never been tactically clever because we weren't brought up the right way. These are the reasons that I think in recent years we've been knocking on the door. You know, we've got what we've done. We've got two finals, semi final and quarter final, and we've been really really close, as close as you can get with the penalty shootout. So you know that is because we are producing better players again now and we can compete, but it's worth pointing out it's very, very very difficult to win a World Cup. There are a lot of great football in nations and that you end up having to play. I mean the last World Cup. You know, I thought we were the better team against France, but we lost. You know, I played in nineteen ninety. I thought we were the better team in the semi final and we lost on penalties. So it's it's tiny margins. But if you keep banging on the door like England are doing. And I'm not overly confident for this particular World Cup, but fancies in the Euros in two years time because it's in the UK and Ireland, so they'll have half a chance.
Speaker 1: But I do wonder whether you think there is a link to domestic football, because is it the case that the saying for your country isn't regarded by the clubs as that important and the players are not necessarily there to train with the team and their teammates to the extent they should be.
Speaker 2: No, it's not that the players absolutely have a massive desire to play for their country. It's the biggest honor you can get they're desperate to play for clubs like it, no, but they don't like it in Italy, either in France or Spain or Argentina or Brazil. You know, you know, it's something that clubs have to do. They have to let their players go for the national team a few times a year. The one thing that is hard for us is that our league is incredibly competitive and incredibly physical. Not as physical as it used to be, but it's still very physical and we play a lot of football and we don't really help ourselves in terms of World Cups, et cetera. I know a lot of the players from around the world are in our league as well now, but it is it is tough for them going out, but they've got a bit of time. And I think the fact that England don't play until about a week into the tournament is all quite helpful because I think I've spoken to Thomas Tuckle and he's going to give them a good break week's holiday or so and I think that will recharge the batteries. And you never know it's going to happen one I just want it to happen before I die.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because your own experiences at the World Cup. They were life changing, right in nineteen eighty six as a goal scorer, and then in nineteen ninety you wouldn't have had your broadcasting career without being so prominent and so loved as a player for England.
Speaker 2: You know, you get those letters and I'm sure you get them the same or used to be letters. Now it's messages, et cetera, just saying how do I get into broadcasting? How do to get And I always say the same thing. I said, you know, try local radio, hospital radio, newspapers, local newspapers, or score loads of goals for England. I took the latter, but it's not quite not so easy, but it is true, and I know that would have happened. I mean ninety six, sorry eighty six, God is forty years ago, not thirty eighty six changed everything for me. I mean I'd gone five six games with that goal. We lost our opening game against Portugal, we drew against Morocco. We needed to win, and one game changed my life, really poland hat trick after that too, more against Paraguay and the goal no one remembers in the hand of God game but I want a golden boot and I moved to Barcelona off the back of everything suddenly different. And that's what World Cups can do.
Speaker 1: I wonder who'll be the Gary Lineker of this of this World Cup on the on the field, there'll be someone who might well have a similar life changes English. You you've got a new you've got a new groove with new groove, I mean a new professional professional groove as in with with the rest of is football game to Netflix. So do you think you've got a lot more World Cups in you?
Speaker 2: I just hope I've got a few more years. And what do they say, I use a football in cliche. We'll take one World Cup at a time, I hope. So I just want to see his win more that that sinner. That's always what I've wanted to wanted to see. I was five years old when we went in sixty six and I have no memory of that, zero memory, So that would be nice. But I hopefully there's a bit of laughing the ard dog. Yeah, will you sort of keep.
Speaker 1: In the rest of his football game until that I can see you, like in twenty years time, still doing it in case England when and you can be there to talk about.
Speaker 2: It twenty years time, maybe who knows. I don't know. Maybe Alan and Micah have something to say about that.
Speaker 1: Gary Lineker, thank you so much, my pleasure, and that's how the conversation ended. We did turn to FIFA afterwards and asked if they'd like to comment on Gary saying Gianni Infantino is cozying up to Donald Trump. They declined, but they directed us to an interview where Infantino described what he called his friendship with the President and on World Cup ticket prices. FIFA say they are focused on ensuring fair access and so to the team this week. The producers are Jessica Beck and Chris Martlew with guest booking by Elan Bird, and the video producers were Andy Hayward and Megan Olsen. Social media is by Alex Morgan. Audio mixing was by Richard Ward. Jennifer Sealy is our production assistant and our music is by Bart Warshaw. The executive producer is Louisa Lewis and at Bloomberg Weekend thanks to Brendan Francis Newnam and our executive editor Katherine Bell. Until next time, goodbye.