Speaker 1: This podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth and today we're joined by Randall, Cal Nate, Sarah, Marge, Chili, Logan and Matt. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from Meat Eater's four verticals, which are Hunting, Fishing, conservation, at cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winner's choosing And for the stat of the week this week, we're looking at the number ten. That's how many points meet Cal and Chili beat Randall and Phil By at Bar Trivia last Friday with a final score of fifty four to forty four, Summer declaring it the greatest upset and.
Speaker 2: Bart the first game in which we defeated you.
Speaker 3: You're also leaving out the fact that the questions were awarding points in three and five point increments.
Speaker 1: It was a very weird game of tributa. What was the score on the first one?
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 5: I don't remember.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: I think we were competitive in that one, at least.
Speaker 5: I think if you were to just let the ai thing. Sum this up, you would still be the losers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're sore losers.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the trivia experience, Randall describe it for listeners.
Speaker 3: Well, it was interesting because we got there early, thinking that you'd need to get there early to get a table, and then at five till there was still no one there, and we thought maybe we just wasted a bunch of time and got a few beers in before we really needed to. And then it filled in and it was quite a rowdy bunch. There were Friday night at least a dozen teams, and the first round, the first set of questions, I thought, hey, we're off to a good start.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, you explained to me afterwards the category was general knowledge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like jeopardy.
Speaker 1: But then the questions had like multiple questions about Julius Caesar, and you're like, well he was doing a thing about war generals. In game two they had general knowledge again, but it was not about war generals.
Speaker 4: Well, I let me let me clarify it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: In that first game, I thought that was a clever category game, and then things went off the rails.
Speaker 1: It was bad. It was bad trivia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Molly Brown I will say it again, is the only good place to play trivia in city.
Speaker 5: I liked the fourteen dollars burger and a beer combo. Yes, that really like smashes it in the face of the rest of the Bozeman establishments. They serve a smash burger for twenty two dollars.
Speaker 3: There was also a twenty dollars There was a twenty dollars chips and queso and a picture of beer special.
Speaker 7: Now, but you're.
Speaker 8: Ordering food from Bar nine, let me remind.
Speaker 5: It was smash bad.
Speaker 4: I would rate the food actually.
Speaker 5: Better than a Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wasn't to impressed with the big buck hunter though, game that they got there.
Speaker 5: That's for people with handed What was the.
Speaker 6: Age demographic, because I know in the evenings it's usually.
Speaker 1: Like college kids up to like, I don't know, people in their forties. Yeah, we're squarely in the middle of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we're in the middle of it.
Speaker 5: And again the large percentage of the people in their forties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that the trivia was very flawed. Uh, the guy had his hands full. At one point the chance started breaking out about like that's not a cut, that's not.
Speaker 2: A controversial chance.
Speaker 1: Actually, I was going to leave that part out. But yes, the dude had a straight up wrong question. We're going to do trivia again, but it's not going to be on a Friday night.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the nice thing about that trivia is it starts at six, so for those of us who like to be in bed by nine, it was very accommodating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so me call and chili. We beat randalin phil There's a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's the takeaway.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Here's our Infrequently Asked Questions segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the medeater dot com with the subject line I FAQ. Devin Bartek says, where has Chester been? Chester moved, Chester moved to Wisconsin. He still works at meat Eater, So you're not gonna hear Chester on trivia very much coming up. But if you want some more Chester media to radio, we record that live on Thursdays. The audio version you can listen to on Fridays. We have a segment called Chetticut where Chester writes a nice little song to answer some listener's question where they're in a moral predicament about the outdoors. If you want more Chester. You can get more Chester there. It's one of my favorite segments we do. It's not every week, but once or twice a month. You're gonna get some chettik kit over there. We recently had a question about when we were filming Roast, if we could change one thing at Meat Eater, what would it be. Randall said he would make Chester move back to Montana. Yes, so we all miss Chester? Yes, all right, now we have some housekeeping to get to. During the med Eater trivia tournament, we had a question about waning and waxing moons. Waning refers to a moon phase that is decreasing in brightness, while waxing refers to a moon phase that is increasing in brightness. And you can tell if a moon is waning or waxing by looking at what side the light is on. It's got a few listeners to write in with an easy rhyme to help you remember which is which it goes wax on quote.
Speaker 5: Weighing off no light on right it's getting bright.
Speaker 1: This means if a partially lit moon is bright on its right side, then the moon is waxing or getting bigger than the following night. The moon will be brighter, growing each day until it's a full moon. And on the contrary, if the light is on the left side, then the moon is shrinking or waning. So again, light on right, it's getting bright.
Speaker 7: Is that a hemisphere thing or is that universal?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I just assume everyone listening is in the Northern Hemisphere. Sorry for our folks in Australia's New Zealand and the Southern Hemisphere. Oh yeah, yeah them too, So that doesn't apply to you. They're toilets flush backwards too.
Speaker 5: So what do what your haircut cost? Looks like a fancy haircut.
Speaker 1: I go buy a haircut about ones every two months. I don't know what it costs. Been going to the same lady pretty much since I moved here. Wow, four corners Montana. What's your haircut cost?
Speaker 5: Yes? Yeah, just time, buddy.
Speaker 1: Now the shelby and extra today is a four. So our winners should get eight correct answers and with that we're onto meat Eater Trivia, play the drop pill. Look, I need to know what I stay underwind everything?
Speaker 4: How's that?
Speaker 1: Just tend to win everything?
Speaker 7: Does anyone get the pre race pee feeling?
Speaker 4: Can you wait until the.
Speaker 1: Question one?
Speaker 5: Thank you real. We've all heard the drop.
Speaker 1: The topic is gear. This will be multiple choice. Which of these pellet sizes is biggest? Is it triple B, F, double AT or T? And double lot is written out number zero zero? So which of these pellet sizes is biggest? Triple B, F, double OT or T.
Speaker 4: Cal.
Speaker 2: You're probably one of those monsters who skips the credits when you watch TV shows, aren't you.
Speaker 5: It's part of the tone setting. It's important.
Speaker 1: Bill, what's your favorite favorite credit?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a great question, I got that.
Speaker 8: Snatch.
Speaker 1: You're not familiar with that one.
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Which of these pellet sizes is biggest? Triple B, F, double lot, T is? Everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Marge saying triple B, Logan, Matt Randall, Chili, Sarah, Nate and Cal say double ot. They got it. The correct answer is double ot. That's number zero zero. Triple B is point one point eight inches in diameter, T is point two inches, F is point two two inches, and double lot is point three three inches. Double Lot is buckshot and one of the biggest pellets produced, behind only triple OT and the rare quadruple. At question two, the topic is conservation. This next great question is via Nicholas Johnson. What does CREP stand for? That's c r e P? The topic is conservation. What does CREP stand for? Calin Randall quick to answer this one. No, not Randall, just Cal. Cal is quick to answer this one. What does c r e P stand for? Randall? You know this one?
Speaker 4: I'm working on it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Cal, Do you know this one with certainty?
Speaker 5: Mm? No, no, not with certainty.
Speaker 1: What does c r e P stand for? We could have a zero percenter here? On question two?
Speaker 4: Mmm?
Speaker 1: How many letters do you think you have? Randall?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: One at the moment, Okay, I've heard, I've I've heard this acronym before.
Speaker 4: I'm digging around in the depths of my mind for what it might be.
Speaker 1: Logan, How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 5: Not good?
Speaker 1: Not good? What does CREP stand for? Or Cal? How many letters do you think you have right so far? Out of the four?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I can tell you how many I have wrong?
Speaker 9: Though?
Speaker 1: Okay? What does c R e P stand for? Fild TV show credits? What's come to mind so far?
Speaker 5: FA?
Speaker 2: I love the mad Men because the music is kind of like an anachronistic to the rest of the show, but it fits really really well.
Speaker 1: It fits super well. It also set it up for I think at the end of the series, don Draper to kill himself and he never does, so I felt like I thought that was a little easter egg and he was. He was going to jump out a skyscraper window at the end, but he doesn't.
Speaker 2: I really like the credits for Did anyone ever watched BoJack Horseman?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, oh yeah.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 2: The song was catchy, but also they was one of those opening credits says where things would change slightly and everything depending on what was happening.
Speaker 1: In the story. Oh that's fun, so you can go back.
Speaker 2: And look for some easter eggs and stuff like.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 10: I recently watched the credits on. One of my friends did some animation for the show called common Side Effects. It's like a new show and it's looking awesome, cool anything HBO.
Speaker 1: I think Succession also had a great session Game of Thrones. Of course, that one also had a changing credits.
Speaker 5: Oh I got so bored with Game of Thrones.
Speaker 6: I man, I missed your saying TV. I was referencing a movie. Oh, so Snatch, and we studied that in grad school.
Speaker 5: Snatch is fantastic.
Speaker 8: Yeah, if you haven't seen it, you should watch that.
Speaker 5: Walk Stock and Two Smoking Barrels also very good.
Speaker 8: Both the credits and both of those are phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Does everyone have an answer for what does cr EP stand for? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Marge without a C or an R saying environmental protection, Logan says construction research, environmental protection, Conservation research environmental protection, Matt crop restoration, Blank, Randall Conservation Reserve Easement Program, CHILI Conservation Recreation Engagement Program, SARAH Crop Restoration Easement Program, NATE Conservative Responsible Environmental Protection, cal Conservation Reserve Easement Program. The correct answer is Conservation Reserve Enhancement. Nobody got it right. We had a few folks with three out of four letters. The Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program or CREP is an offshoot of the Conservation Reserve Program or CRP. Both programs address similar things, which is creating habitat with native vegetation. The biggest difference is CREP takes a more localized approach using federal and non federal funding. CRAP usually has more incentive based contracts as well. Question three, the topic is fishing in what state is the Sultan Sea? In what state is the Sultan Sea? Matt quick to answer, Matt, you have this one right, okay, nodding his head, Yes.
Speaker 4: But I'm from there.
Speaker 1: Oh well, oh really, there's an enormous hint if you know anything about Matt Miller. Does anybody in here know anything about Matt Miller? That is Matt Randall. You have this one right.
Speaker 4: Matt's little admission there. It gives me an added boost of confidence.
Speaker 1: Okay, you do have this one right. Did Matt's hint help out any of the folks in the room.
Speaker 7: My dad says the same thing about where he's from.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not what I know about Matt.
Speaker 8: It gave me a decent guest.
Speaker 1: People from in what state?
Speaker 4: Where you're from?
Speaker 1: Salt in se Kentucky?
Speaker 4: Kentucky it is.
Speaker 1: It's got that classy, classy Kentucky shame. It's everybody ready, I don't know Logan, an office neighbor with Mats. He doesn't even know what state he's from. Yeah, it's true, Chili, Do you have an answer?
Speaker 7: No? No, yeah, no, I don't know I'm gonna be.
Speaker 1: Real, go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Marge saying California. Logan says Florida, Matt says California, Randalls says Arizona. Chili without an answer, Sarah and Nate and Cal say California. The correct answer it's Matt's home state, California.
Speaker 4: MAT's got family in Arizona.
Speaker 9: Thought was entirely based on your comment there.
Speaker 1: I just want you to know that, Oh. The Salt and Sea is located about one hundred miles east of San Diego. During the nineteen sixties, it was considered one of the state's most productive fisheries, producing more poundage of fish per acre than any other lake in California. About half a million anglers each year would flock there to catch corn, corvina, croaker, sargo, and tilapia. But the sea has become too salty in the last twenty five years, with game fish populations almost nonexistent today, So it used to be a phenomenal fishery and now nobody fishes there. Question for the topic is hunting, and this next great question is via Samuel hay NFL Hall of Famer Jared Allen grabbed headlines in two thousand and nine when he used this weapon to kill an Elk.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 1: NFL Hall of Famer Jared Allen grabbed headlines in two thousand and nine when he used this weapon to kill an elk. Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: Believe so?
Speaker 1: Do you remember when this happened? Uh?
Speaker 4: Vaguely, I remember Jared Allen and.
Speaker 1: Marge miss Vikings fan over here. Yeah, doesn't have an answer quite yet.
Speaker 5: He's gonna ask what team.
Speaker 7: I've watched this video but a dozen times. It's epic.
Speaker 1: NFL Hall of Famer Jared Allen grabbed headlines in two thousand and nine when he used this weapon to kill an Elk.
Speaker 7: You gotta be specific with the weapon or just be like category.
Speaker 1: Yes, you need to be specific.
Speaker 4: Not stupid, I would say.
Speaker 3: I I wrote down Arizona, and then when Matt said he doesn't tell people he's from there, I thought it's probably California.
Speaker 7: Then you should have wrote down.
Speaker 3: But I didn't change my answer because I thought that would be disingenuous.
Speaker 9: That was my line of thinking as well.
Speaker 1: I only hear people say that about California.
Speaker 2: Are you from the Sultan Sea area. Now, no, okay, I'm from Orange County.
Speaker 4: You do have family in Arizona though, right, I do. Yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: Again. Round question for the topic is hunting NFL Hall of Famer Jared all And grabbed headlines in two thousand and nine when he used this weapon to kill an elk.
Speaker 2: Because if you in GTA five, the Sultan Sea is like an area you can go to and it's mostly just like youth heads and trailers. It's GTA. I'm sure it's a it's a blanket stereotype, but I'm very curious about what it's like.
Speaker 1: Is it called the Sultan Sea.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's like a slightly off name, like like the GTA series does, really not too far off the real thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, yep to everybody, ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Marge saying a crossbow. Logan says spear, Met says spear, Randal spear, Chili says handgun, forty four, mag Sarah says shotgun, Nate says spear, Kal says spear. The correct answer is a spear. Alan filmed that hunt for Tim Wells's show Relentless pursuit. He was on a high fenced game preserve in Illinois and speared the out from a tree stand while it ate from a bait pile. The kill was covered by The New York Times and Bleacher Report, with Alan saying quote, he's addicted to spear hunting. I don't know how you become addicted to spear hunting, but that those were the words he used. Question five, the topic is cooking. This next great question is vera Jared Eliah.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's like a Pavlovian response, like he hears the corn come out of the feeder.
Speaker 4: Jared, he wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He had said something about like when he plays football, he gets to unleash all his aggressiveness by us sacking a quarterback, but when he's hunting, he gets to unleash that unleash that aggressiveness by spearing an elk. Very familiar. Yeah, yeah, Question five cooking.
Speaker 5: I'd have to know how many sacks he got in one sea is on and where you'd be like, Okay, this is his aggressiveness per sack.
Speaker 1: This five letter word is defined as quote a piece of tough fibrous tissue uniting muscle to bone or bone to bone This five letter word is defined as a piece of tough fibrous tissue uniting muscle to bone or bone to bone. Matt, you have this one right as well.
Speaker 7: I'm confident.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to the Sultan Sea?
Speaker 5: I have?
Speaker 1: What were you doing at the Sultan Sea.
Speaker 5: Driving right past it?
Speaker 7: Okay, it's very salty.
Speaker 8: Used to be called the Sultan's Sink.
Speaker 2: If you look up fifties fifties videos, it was portrayed at some awesome water ski, super nice resort, and it's like completely run down.
Speaker 6: Now, Yeah, wasn't that like the Colorado used to form that it would like switch off, like every decade there'd be like one instance where build up sediment. Maybe I don't know what flood California, and then it would build up sediment again, I go into the Gulf.
Speaker 8: I'm reading the Emerald Mile right now.
Speaker 1: You would know more than me. But I feel like those C type areas rarely have something flowing into them. They'd rather just.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it would have happened like once a decade. It happened for a little bit, and then the sediment would build up and it would be like woop, going back.
Speaker 1: Well, the Colorado does jump into the Gulf of California right there, so it'd have to flow right extra.
Speaker 8: You're probably right March before all the dams got put in.
Speaker 1: This five letter word is defined as a piece of tough, fibrous tissue uniting muscle to bone or bone to bone. Sarah, do you have this one right?
Speaker 8: I think so?
Speaker 1: Okay, you met look confident. Marge. Do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: I think?
Speaker 8: I think so?
Speaker 1: Cal? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: Your last time we had spell this word with this amount of letters. I just wrote the word that I wanted it to be with that amount of It's a spelling error, and I feel like I'm on the track you might have spelled.
Speaker 1: Okay, is everybody ready? Ye, go ahead and reveal your answers. We've gotten Marge and Logan and Matt saying sinew, Randa without an answer, Chili without an answer. Sarah says sinew, Nate says fasca. Cal says fascia. The correct answer is sinew. That's si. Similar to tendons and ligaments, sinu is connective tissue that stabilizes and aids in movement. The biggest sources of it are around the backstrap and lower legs. On animals. It is sometimes used by survivalists as cordage bill. We're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update, brutal.
Speaker 2: Here we are last place. We have Chili with one point. Maggie and Randall Williams have two points. Logan's Sarah, Nate and Coal are all tied up with three points. And in first place it's Matt Miller. He's got four points.
Speaker 7: Right, Matt, not gonna get cocky?
Speaker 4: No, not one.
Speaker 1: Question six, the topic is conservation. This land management technique involves partially cutting through a tree and laying it on the ground to create horizontal structure.
Speaker 5: Oh, I know somebody who hates this.
Speaker 1: Who is it, Doug Durrant? This land management technique involves partially cutting through a tree and laying it on the ground to create horizontal structure. Cal the only player to come up with an answer so far, or Nate.
Speaker 4: Nate.
Speaker 1: Nate also has an answer.
Speaker 7: All these whitetail haters getting what's do Nate?
Speaker 1: Where's your dad from? Who feels great shame about his home state California?
Speaker 7: Okay, he was like born there, lived there for like a month, and then moved to Texas.
Speaker 1: So he tells people, Thank Texan. Indeed, this land management technique involves partially cutting through a tree and laying it on the ground to create horizontal structure. Nate and Cow maybe the only ones who get this one right, Randall, do you have an answer yet?
Speaker 4: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: Tough day for Randal it is, but he's been on a hot streak lately.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think maybe we shook his confidence on Friday night at Bark.
Speaker 4: We're too close to the sun here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 10: Making me question your crossword scores, Randall.
Speaker 3: Well, you know my crossword scores because you're sitting in the office opposite for me.
Speaker 4: You can't fake that.
Speaker 5: Speed Spencer told me watching Randall at Trivia Friday night, it was like watching like somebody who goes to the rock climbing gym five days a week and then goes out on real rock. I was like, that is brutal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is brutal.
Speaker 1: It's almost as though I didn't actually say that.
Speaker 5: I don't think his own game as as a sham.
Speaker 7: Logan.
Speaker 1: Do you know Randall's home stage. We're gonna ask you about your neighbors and where they're from. Yeah, Randall is also Logan's office neighbor, No, he doesn't know.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's so easy.
Speaker 4: Where was I born?
Speaker 7: Cincinnati?
Speaker 4: Where was I born? You don't know that.
Speaker 3: No one knows that except for the federal government and my parents.
Speaker 1: This land management technique involves partially cutting through a tree and laying it on the ground to create horizontal structure. Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Marge, who drew us a nice little tree? Logan says felling. Matt says habitat engineering randall without an answer. Chile says cross cut, Sarah says cross sawing. Nate and col say hinge cutting. They got it. The correct answer is hinge cutting. Hinge cutting will keep the tree alive, creating cover and brows at ground level. It's a land management technique that's become popular in the last decade among deer hunters, but the practice also benefits rabbits and ground nesting birds. For more on this practice, check out Wired to Hunt's article called how to improve any bedding area.
Speaker 4: Dude, some day trading there?
Speaker 7: Oh no, I'm just figuring out where you were born.
Speaker 1: Order question seven. The topic is wildlife. This double crested water bird is known for quote wing spreading, a standing technique it uses to dry its feathers. This double crested water bird is known for wing spreading, a standing technique it uses to dry its feathers. Nate with a quick answer, who also has his cell phone out?
Speaker 7: I'm doing a public good.
Speaker 1: You're trying to find out where Randall was born? Huh? Starting to think he was born out of the country.
Speaker 4: Nope, nope, I'm still eligible for Does it start with it with T? No? The town or state? We can?
Speaker 7: I give you the county, sure, Hamilton, No, that's Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Again. In question seven, no.
Speaker 4: Where I went to school?
Speaker 2: May, I'll remind you that you are tied for first place right now? Do you you actually want to play the game?
Speaker 7: This is my new strategy is not being completely emotionally invested.
Speaker 1: But you feel good about your answer on this one? Mary, okay, cal you look like you have it. Shot one? Okay, Randall? Do have this one? Right? No? No, how about you, Matt.
Speaker 4: Although Nate's hint about almost shooting one is interesting.
Speaker 1: That's not.
Speaker 7: This similar repercussion.
Speaker 1: Double crested water bird is known for wing spreading, a standing technique it uses to dry its feathers. It's everybody ready, Sure, go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Marge without an answer. Logan says sandhill crane. Matt says swan Randal, Pelican chili without an answer. Sarah Merganser, Nate and Cal say cormorant. They got it. The correct answer is cormorant. The double crested cormorant is the most numerous and wide spread of the six North American cormorant species. They spend a lot of time in water, but because they don't have waterproof feathers, they also spend a lot of time drying. They accomplish it this by standing like Ninja's with their wings extended outward. Could you picture a cormorant?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 7: Randall?
Speaker 1: What those are? Nate? How did you almost kill yourself a cormoran? I bet they taste real bad.
Speaker 7: I'll give you a short vert. You can't shoot them in Georgia, which is where I try to learn how to duck hunt.
Speaker 1: I don't know where you could shoot a cormorant.
Speaker 5: Well, I think definitely pretty much every state has depredation permits cormorants for those private fish.
Speaker 7: Ponds and So I was kicking around trying to jump puddle ducks and saw ninja.
Speaker 5: Like bird sitting there.
Speaker 7: I thought that'd be pretty easy to shoot, and then I thought so I didn't looked it up.
Speaker 4: The boy that sure doesn't look like a duck.
Speaker 1: Question eight. The topic is hunting. This seven letter word refers to the series of short, loud grunts that a bowl elk often produces at the end of a bugle. We'll get a scoreboard update from Fill the engineer after this. This seven letter word refers to the series of short, loud grunts that a bull elk often produces at the end of a bugle.
Speaker 10: I was gonna trash talk you, Nate, if you're a white tail comment earlier.
Speaker 7: Laid on me. I want it.
Speaker 1: Do you have this one right, Nate?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: Do you have this one right? Matt?
Speaker 5: I'm not not confident.
Speaker 1: Okay. Do you have a seven letter word?
Speaker 5: It's seven letters, okay.
Speaker 1: Seven letter word refers to the series of short, loud grunts that a bull elk often produces at the end of a bugle.
Speaker 7: Are you really not going to say whatever you're going to say?
Speaker 10: Oh no, I couldn't think of a good trash talk. Oh, I was just hoping someone else might have something along those lines.
Speaker 5: It's the thought that counts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Logan, let's test your other office neighbor trivia. Where's Californ from?
Speaker 5: Dude?
Speaker 1: Uh uh man?
Speaker 5: A mystery? It's okay?
Speaker 2: What does cal talk about a lot?
Speaker 1: Marge had to write it down for Logan. Where's Brody from? Brody is also your office neighbor?
Speaker 10: I don't know?
Speaker 1: No, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania again. Question eight. This seven letter word refers to the series of short, loud grunts. But where was r often? Is everybody ready? Go ahead? And your answers Marge without an answer, Logan says, chuckle, Matt chuckle, Randall chuckle, Chili. Without an answer, We've got Sarah, Nate and count saying chuckle. They got it. The correct answer is chuckle. When it comes to chuckles and grunts, Jason Phelps says he typically likes to mimic the bull he's calling to, So if that bull is chuckling and grunting, then he'll chuckle and grunt as well. But if it's not, then he won't. Here is Dirk Durham from Phelps explaining the difference between a grunt and a chuckle.
Speaker 11: So the grunts are kind of a more drawn out type of noise, whereas the chuckle is a more rapid, a little faster tempo type noise. So here's the grunts and now here's the chuckles.
Speaker 4: So he do that without moving his mouth.
Speaker 1: Had a video freeze for a second. We're on question nine. But before we do that, let's get a scoreboard update from Phil Jesus, don't even say it.
Speaker 7: Tell us who's out of the running.
Speaker 2: Chili, Maggie Randall are all out of the game, but Logan and Sarah have four points, Matt has five, and tied up in first place are Internate and Ryan Callahan.
Speaker 4: Wow the benefits, Now.
Speaker 7: That's very good.
Speaker 1: Question nine. The topic is natural history. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Evan Engelbreck for sending this great question. Evan is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win the listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat Eater dot com. This nineteen ninety eight comedy follows Chris Farley and Matthew Perry was even born as they raised lyrics Clark to the Pacific Ocean.
Speaker 7: Don't know it though, this is one of my top ten favorite movies.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to say something. The first time I ever visited my wife's parents, I've never actually seen this movie, but I heard it was funny from one of my friends. So I was like, Hey, let's all sit down and watch this. This really good, funny movie.
Speaker 1: I've heard about with your wife's parents. Yeah, this movie, let's get top ten.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, it's so funny.
Speaker 1: This nineteen ninety eight comedy follows Chris Farley and Matthew Perry as they race Lewis and Clark to the Pacific Ocean.
Speaker 5: But this was Farley's last movie, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: We'll get to that In the flavor text. Randal and Nate look confident. Excuse me, Randall and Matt.
Speaker 4: Here, you guys, you're gonna have three way tie here if you don't wow.
Speaker 1: Remind our players and our listeners. I think we're on a three month drought or overtime, so today could be the day.
Speaker 4: That's exciting.
Speaker 2: That's that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I'm gonna have to look at these questions again to make sure they're still accurate. I've been sitting on them for such a long period.
Speaker 10: Spencer, how much time per day do you think you can spend thinking about trivia like all these like random stats that you come up with. Is this just like spinning around your head?
Speaker 1: You too much?
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 1: The job seeps into the rest of my life.
Speaker 9: Is it like a running note sap on the phone scenario?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Yeah, A lot of trivia gets written while I'm like eating supper, driving down the road and something occurs to me, and then it winds up in my phone. From my phone, it goes to a Google doc, and from the Google doc it might make it into a script. So that's just phase one of winding up as being a question. This nineteen ninety eight comedy follows Chris Farley and Matthew Perry as they race Lewis and Clark to the Pacific Ocean. This is question nine. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 5: Matt?
Speaker 1: Do you know where Logan is? From your office? Neighbor Logan?
Speaker 5: Oh, Man, you told me this when I first started, which has been a little bit colorado maybe nice.
Speaker 10: This makes me feel so much.
Speaker 1: You certainly know, o Man, I.
Speaker 10: Got you Logan where you're from go ahead, Chicago.
Speaker 9: Well, no, you're not from Chicago. You're from Chicago. Like I tell people I'm from Chicago. I was gonna ask I'm from Chicago. But if I'm talking to people like Logan, we're from the Chicago land area.
Speaker 1: Specific. Okay, so what would be the specific answer?
Speaker 6: Pala Time, Yeah, you knew everybody Joliet from that.
Speaker 1: Illis Metropolis Schomberg.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 4: I don't know much about the.
Speaker 1: Suburbs cal Do you give up? Do you think you've seen this movie?
Speaker 5: High school?
Speaker 1: This was made for Ryan Callahan. Actually, go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Marge saying without a paddle, Logan says Tommy Boy. Matt and Randall say almost here, Chili and Sarah without an answer, Natesa's blazing saddles cow without an answer. The correct answer is almost heroes. Matt and Randall got that one right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I should feel real proud of yourself.
Speaker 1: The film was a flop, receiving a five critics score from Rotten Tomatoes. The site says it has an exceptionally poor laughs to jokes, Ratio calling it quote a sorry swan song for the talented Chris Farley. It was the last leading role Farley had, with the movie coming out five months after his death.
Speaker 4: There's gotta be a term for a movie that once all the leads are dead, you know?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Like that strikes me when I watch certain like I guess old movies. Yeah, there's well the old movies like Bad Bad Santa. There's like a scene with Bernie Mack and what's.
Speaker 1: His name, Billy Bob Thornton.
Speaker 4: Who is it? Phil? Thing of event?
Speaker 9: Your favorite movie, Matt has a n.
Speaker 7: I want to know if we had.
Speaker 1: I think this maybe needs to be a future movie club so I have an excuse to watch it then. Otherwise, this one, it's one of those movies.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know the last time you've seen it, Matt, but like if you watched it as a kid, it's probably I mean, you probably love it. So this movie I have on DVD just so I can watch it in our camper.
Speaker 5: You could have lied.
Speaker 2: I was trying to give you the benefits.
Speaker 1: Lots of Chris, I think, all right, here's a correct answer. Review one was Double Hot Pellet to Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program three, California, four, spear five, sinew six, hinge cutting seven, cormorant eight, chuckle nine almost heroes.
Speaker 7: Phil.
Speaker 1: Let's get a scoreboard update before we do Question ten.
Speaker 3: John Ritter, Oh yeah, uh, it is a three way tie for first.
Speaker 2: Now Matt, Nate, and col I'll have six points and then they are the only ones still in the running for the win.
Speaker 1: Question ten, the topic is fishing. Great question is John Paul lushes. This fish goes by nicknames such as mudpike, No, it's fine, cypress trout, and swamp bass. This fish goes by nicknames such as mudpike, cypress trout, and swamp bass. We have a three way tie right now with Nate Cal and is it Randall or Matt? It's Matt, Matt, Matt joking Nate and Cal three way tie for question ten. This fish goes by nicknames such as mudpike, cypress trout, and swamp bass. And our three players in the lead do not yet have an answer. Three ways high could happen?
Speaker 10: No one write an answer down that's tied?
Speaker 1: Do it you want.
Speaker 7: M Yes, That's what I'll do. Out of love for the game.
Speaker 1: This fish want mudpike, cypress trout, and swamp bass.
Speaker 4: I feel liberated here.
Speaker 1: Do you have this one right? Randall?
Speaker 4: No, I don't care.
Speaker 1: Nate, do you have an answer?
Speaker 7: No, dude, I was doing so well because there were so few fishing questions, and like the old number ten.
Speaker 1: Cypress trout, Well, there are four verticals. That's right. They're bound to show up somewhere in eate, right when you most expect it fishing.
Speaker 9: Indeed, like in a trivia game about all fours, that's right.
Speaker 1: Do you guys give up?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 1: M mmm, Randall, do you have a do you think you have a chance at this one? I have a chance, Okay, Cal, do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's everybody ready.
Speaker 5: But I have a guess.
Speaker 1: Nate doing someth e racing, Yeah, I don't like. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Marge saying snakehead. Logan says musky, Matt says ling, Randall says speckled trout, Chili says catfish, Sarah says catfish, Nate says tarpin, cal crossed out, red drum put snakehead. The correct answer is both in nobody that one I knew.
Speaker 5: I was like, it's probably not snake.
Speaker 1: Looks like as the last remaining member of their entire genius. They are some of the oldest freshwater fish on Earth, with fossils dating back to the Jurassic era. Other than those nicknames, they have dogfish, cottonfish, grinners, beaver fish, blackfish, and mudfish as monikers.
Speaker 5: Great teeth on them.
Speaker 1: All Right, we're going to overtime playing the drop Phil.
Speaker 7: How they just cut it at if you ain't first your laughs and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 4: I never liked it, they fill cough Man.
Speaker 1: Well, I haven't just reminded. U was just reminded of how long it's been since I've heard that. The tie breaking question is a numerical question. Whoever is closest will be declared the winner. The tie breaking topic is public lands. How many national parks does the National Park Service manage? These are the national parks like Yellowstone and none of the none of the other things that have designations that are managed by the Park Service. We're talking about national parks here. How many does the National Parks Service manage? Not just in Montana? And everyone should come up with an answer, because if somebody gets it right on the nose me Peter will add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game. Nate with such a quick answer, you'd almost think that he knows this one.
Speaker 7: I know that this is the only number I'll come up with.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 7: My wife got this water bottle with all of these little sticks, small or big.
Speaker 1: Okay, and she.
Speaker 7: Threw out a number the other day about how many more she had to go.
Speaker 1: Mmm, okay, don't give us any more.
Speaker 4: That's fascinating.
Speaker 1: How many national context does That's all.
Speaker 7: I'll wait, no clue, no more clues.
Speaker 1: Nate might be wearing his Lucky sweaters today.
Speaker 7: Which I will wear every time I come to trivia from that's unfortunate.
Speaker 1: They changed the mood of the room when Nate logged in uh and he had to all of a sudden defend his out.
Speaker 2: He looks like Chris Evans and knives out thank you.
Speaker 7: Did not that I'm living in the glory days, but this was an integral part of my wardrobe in high school, which resulted in Best Dress twenty fifteen.
Speaker 3: Did you or did someone knit that for you?
Speaker 7: I bought it at Ross dress for last Yeah, Nate, can you still take it back?
Speaker 1: I think I've passed the window won best dress in high school?
Speaker 2: Like, I'm not being sarcastic when I say you look good man, thank you? You know, also jumping on his back.
Speaker 7: A little America Monday action as well.
Speaker 1: Oh wow wa.
Speaker 8: Randall and Chili said to say you actually dressed nice?
Speaker 5: Yeah you good?
Speaker 4: Said we don't dress, which drops fir mar.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, Margins show up in a bear costume from time to time.
Speaker 4: I compliment your fashion all the time. So what does that say about you?
Speaker 8: Well, you guys were just hating on somebody.
Speaker 7: How many times have you just gotten roasted walking into a room with a nice outfit?
Speaker 1: On the times Very.
Speaker 5: Said I've liked your jumpers and stuff, and then you throw gear from here.
Speaker 1: On OUTA has a culture where if you're not wearing a meat eater shirt, you look like a weirdo.
Speaker 5: It's true.
Speaker 1: So you want to my friend. If you want to see Nate's nice and potentially lucky sweater, head over to YouTube.
Speaker 3: For me, personally, dressing nice feels like putting a bunch of shitty accessories.
Speaker 4: On an old car, like polishing a turt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly all right, does everyone have an answer?
Speaker 4: Got anymore?
Speaker 1: It's the National Parks again. We're down to Cal Nate, and my scoreboard tells me, Matt and Nate go ahead and reveal your answers. We've got Marge saying forty seven. Logan says one hundred and fifteen. Randall says sixty one. Chili didn't write down an answer. He doesn't want to show us. Sarah says fifty two. Cal says forty eight. Remaining players, we have Nate with sixty eight Cal forty eight and Matt eleven.
Speaker 2: I feel like actual mission.
Speaker 1: Somebody in the room is two off of the correct answer.
Speaker 6: It's me.
Speaker 4: It's probably not.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is sixty three. Giving Nate the victory. He was five off of the real number. Randall was two off, but he was not Friday. There are sixty one parks in the States, one in American Samoa, and one in the Virgin Islands. In total, the National Park Services Service manages four hundred and thirty one sites that consist battlefields, monument, scenic trails, and more So, sixty three was the right answer, Nate, You've never done this part before? Where is your dollar donation.
Speaker 7: Matt's hint, and my wife's water bottle forgetting me here. There you go, Rosscress for less thank you.
Speaker 8: Ross can't take you.
Speaker 7: I wasn't prepared for this for obvious reasons. So I'm gonna punt this to Cal about the thing that you were talking about earlier.
Speaker 1: Col was educating us on a corner crossing verdict that just had been a mere hours ago.
Speaker 5: The corner crossing verb, the.
Speaker 1: Corner crossing verdict? What do you have to tell us? And then Nate will make his donation after that.
Speaker 5: Oh, this like best thing since sliced bread. So uh, one of the highest courts in all the land just said that corner crossing is illegal, and in fact it's never Sorry, corner crossing is legal and it has never been illegal.
Speaker 1: Mmm. And he in.
Speaker 5: His judgmenty, he goes back to the land itself. So that's it's a great, great ruling for folks who like, you know, American freedom.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sure, we'll get more from that on Cal's podcast. Now, Cal, who were some of the organizations that were a big part of making that happen? So you give Nate some inspiration for his donation.
Speaker 5: Oh, Wyoming Bha, I would think, would be widely regarded as like the whistleblower organization of the case that kicked off this lawsuit.
Speaker 1: So Nate will ask again, where do you want your five hundred dollars to go?
Speaker 7: Wyoming Bha.
Speaker 1: Wyoming Bha had a good choice, appropriate choice. Well done, Nate, well earned victory.
Speaker 4: I thought this was going to come sooner, but it finally. Is it as sweet as you'd imagine?
Speaker 7: Yep? I think I'm gonna go out and buy a crumble cookie to celebrate good good for you.
Speaker 1: And now next week I have an exciting announcement on that episode. I'm happy to tell you about a new project. So join us next week for more meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always went. Yes, Spencer from South Dakota.
Speaker 10: He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones.
Speaker 4: He lays them questions.
Speaker 7: Down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks.
Speaker 5: It is an avid amateur lock