Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound On podcast. Catch us live weekdays at one Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, and the Bloomberg Business App, or listen on demand wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: The White House threatens to veto the Republican Israeli Aid bill, as the CBO now says that bill will add to the nation's deficit. Welcome to the fastest show in politics, as we get a first look at the fine print in the Speaker's plan on Israel, even as the President takes his own approach, including money for Ukraine for the border. We'll be joined ahead by Bill Hoagland at the Bipartisan Policy Center with analysis from our signature panel. They're with us on this FED day. Rick Davis and Genie Shanzano weighing in as well on the latest from Washington and Israel. And Welcome to the Wednesday edition of Bloomberg Sound On. I'm Joe Matthew in Washington, where, of course it's going to be all about the FED, certainly here on Bloomberg starting in about a half hour's time, when we'll bring you our special coverage of the FED meeting. The announcement and the news conference. But we have breaking news on Israel that I want to start with today, and I'm glad you're with us here on the radio, on the satellite, and on YouTube. You can always find us on YouTube by searching Bloomberg Global News. The cameras are lit with the headline on the terminal. Biden says some Americans will depart Gaza today. We're just hearing this now from the White House, as the President says American citizens will exit Gaza today and the US expects more departures tomorrow and over the coming days. He also said save passage has been secured for wounded Palestinians and for foreign nationals to exit Gaza. And this is the type of headline that some of his critics in his own Democratic Party have been looking to see, with much more news coming out of Israel and Washington. Here, the Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson, is having lunch today with the Senate Republican Conference. Interesting as we turn to the matter of funding, and this is something we're going to talk about in a moment with Bill Hoagland. We brought this to you yesterday. Speaker of the House wants to split Israel funding from the rest of the supplemental package that the President has put forward, And if you listen to this show, you could probably tell us by now yourself that was going to include Ukraine, the border in Taiwan. Not so, says the speaker who's going to bring that bill to the floor tomorrow. It looks like and it is also expected to fail, so lawmakers are weighing in now. Republicans say this is a way of keeping the governments from spending too much money that we heard from the CBO when we learn it's actually going to add to the deficit. And Senator Ben Cardon of Maryland, who's now chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, says, GOP is playing games with the money.
Speaker 3: We need to keep this together because it represents the priorities that need to be done. Now, there are supplemental appropriations which were not planned for in the normal appropriation process. There's no need for offsets, and we got to get this dumb without the political parsianship we see in the House.
Speaker 2: Now that's the chair. The Republican Senator from Wyoming John Barrasso, also on that committee, says, no, this is the way it should be done, and more specifically, pay for it by defunding the IRS.
Speaker 4: I support defunding the IRS taking that money out of that as a source of payment for the money to Israel. I want to make sure Israel has what they need to fight the war they need to fight.
Speaker 2: So there you have it from both sides of the aisle. According to the Treasury Department, If that matters to you, those thousands of IRS employees will not be targeting small businesses and regular Americans. In fact, we heard from the IRS Commissionery yesterday said these offsets would end up costing ninety billion dollars in fact, because of less scrutiny on tax evasion at the highest levels of wealth. So much for armed agents knocking down your door. This is where we start with. Bill Hogan, Senior vice president of the Bipartisan Policy Center, spent many years working on Capitol Hill. Knows how the sausage is made and might be helpful here with a reality check. Bill two questions your thought number one on just putting Israel funding alone on the floor, knowing that it likely doesn't have support, but too paying for it with IRS funding, calling it an offset when it's actually going to cost more maybe you can help me rationalize this.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for having me, Joe. Again, this is an area where we seems that Republicans like to go to, and that is reducing the IRS budget. We've been here, if you recall back in the spring, when we were dealing with the debt limit, increasing the debt limit, finding offsets. Historically, the scoring on this particular issue has always been that if you have additional money that you provide for the IRS to to carry out their responsibilities, does result in an increase in revenues collected. And so I'm an old CBO or, so I'll be a little biased here, but I think the CBO is right that if you're cutting fourteen billion dollars out of the IRS budget, then you shouldn't expect them the revenues that were anticipated to come in. So I think this is an unfortunate situation. Literally, as we speak here right now, Joe, the Senate is voting on a Center Rand Paul amendment to the Senate Appropriation Bill to reduce the IRS funding and it's going to fail. So I think we'll get over this. And as you mentioned in your comments earlier, I think the House does not have the votes to use the IRS as an offset. This is an emergency. In the past, when we've had emergencies, yes, we don't usually offset let's say disaster spending. And I think this is a critical emergency that I'd like to see it offset, but i'd like to see it offset with real spending reductions as opposed to the IRS budget.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll see if that happens. I'm assuming that we won't get that far with this legislation, But does the Senate lead the way here then? Bill they're looking at a combined appropriations bill that would include the money for Ukraine that I know turns off a lot of House Republicans.
Speaker 5: Well, I think we're probably headed toward a situation Joe here in about two and a half weeks when we're up against another possibility of a government shutdown and the current Continuing Resolution runs out. I think all this is going to get bunched up as it relates to that next Continuing resolution around the middle of November, where we'll probably have a situation where we will have both the funding for Ukraine and I think Israel, but also most importantly, as we keep remembering that the President's request does also include about to a similar amount about fourteen billion dollars, the same amount for Israel for border security here in the United States, for new border patrol agents, new immigration judges and asylum officers and custom officers. So I think where we're headed here is a combination getting up against that deadline in November the seventeenth, when we'll see this coming to a head once again. I think, yes, I think the Senate's going to play a pretty big role here in terms of what they send over the House. I think this is going to be a major test for the new Speaker, and it could lead to here we go again. It could lead to a potential shutdown. But I hope that we can get over this and we can find a solution where we have both the funding that we need here on the domestic side of the equation or our border security, as well as some disaster response. We keep forgetting that the President not only had a request for Israel and Ukraine and border, but he also had something for about a fifty five billion dollars for disaster relief. We still have FEMA problems, we still have such issues, are sorting with the issues around the child Care Stabilization Fund. So we have a we have a lot, they have a lot to do in a very short amount of time.
Speaker 2: I want you to picture this as we understand. The Speaker of the House is attending the Senate Republican lunch today, CNN reporting, who was flanked by Senators Rick Scott and Ted budd on the way in and did not answer questions. Does this sound like a meet and greet to you or a real conversation about what you and I are talking about?
Speaker 5: Well, we always have the policy lunches, and I'm not there. I can't say exactly what's going on. But no, I think they have I think the news A lot of senators who do not know the news speaker have not have not met him.
Speaker 1: This is an.
Speaker 5: Opportunity at least to have an initial reaction, But I think they will get down. They'll have to get down to some substant discussions very quickly about where the Senate's headed and where the Speaker wants to go, and what they'll be able to work out between the two two chambers going forward. Once again, I have to believe this is going to come down to no surprise coming from the Bi Parson Policy Center, that you're going to have to find a solution here that includes both Democrats and Republicans. At the end of the day, that may cause again problems for the new Speaker, as it did for mister McCarthy, but this is too important of an issue not to find some quick Biparson solutions providing the aid that Israel needs, that Ukraine needs, and our borders need.
Speaker 2: We're talking with Bill Hogland at the Bipartisan Policy Center and you mentioned you mentioned the word that I might not have brought up otherwise, and that's shut down. But it's important to note what's not going to make headlines today, Bill, and that is the House Rules Committee taking up Transportation and Housing Bill, an Interior Environment spending bill, along with the supplemental budget request, and I know the Senate is taking up minibus today. There are actually professionals who should be taken seriously who are working behind the scenes to do the real work of the legislature. The question is can they get anything done in time? Do you think this new speaker makes the idea of a shot down more or less likely?
Speaker 5: Well, I think the Speaker had made it very clear and part of his mode of selection process was to agree that they would the House would pass what we call the twelve regular appropriation bills, and as you say, Joe, they have passed. They still have seven bills to do, the Outstanding and Transportation, Legislative Branch, Financial Securities, Interior, and Agriculture. They still have to do those individual bills. And that's what they're doing in the House, and I think that's what the Speaker said he would do he'd passed those bills individually. Difficulty is going to be that, of course, that's fine, but we have a United States Senate that's also trying to get its twelve bills done and it has not passed any of them yet, and that's why they're bundling their bills into three package, three packages of three, and they'll end up, i think, probably trying to try. They'll have to go to conference and work this out. This is all going to come down once again to another continuing resolution. I don't think there's any question that we're going to have to have a continuing resolution. I think the Senator has made that clear. I think even the House Speaker expects they'll have to have a continuing resolution. And the question will be will be that at as it was back on October, the first, will that be at the current level which caused mister McCarthy some problems. But I see they are working their best just to do the basic funding that they have to do for the current fiscal year that we're in, fiscal year twenty four that began here a month ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always great to spend time with you, Bill. Do you think the motion to vacate will be beefed up at all? They're going to raise the threshold on this or is it going to stay the same way it is looming over this speaker?
Speaker 5: Listen, I'm an oh Senate staffer or not a House staffer. I can't really comment on the rules of the procedures in the House that much. But I have to believe, having spent what twenty one days or so and the chaos over in the House, that they do not want to go through that again. And I think that to the extent that the new Speaker can at least get his twelve individual appropriation bills done and out of the way. He's met at first. He's got over a first hurdle here that allows him to not face the possibility of another emotion to vacate. I just don't believe they want to go through that again. And I could be wrong, but I think that they have a speaker now, they want to work with that new speaker, and we'll continue to work on this. I want of them to remain optimistic that we will get through this difficult time. There are major issues that have to be addressed here, and I hope that we can find a common ground between the House and Senator over the next at least thirty or forty days.
Speaker 2: Bill Hoaglan, Bipartisan Policy Centers, Senior Vice President, one of our next door neighbors. Almost here in downtown Washington. Great to see you, Bill as we assemble our panel today. Rick Davis and Jeanie Shanzano are back together Bloomberg Politics contributors. Ricky sounds kind of like, you don't ask me about what's going on in that crazy house. I'm a creature of the Senate. But in this case, the Senate's going to loom large over this process. And I wonder if that's why the speaker is at that GOP luncheon today. What do you think they're talking about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look, this is a normal courtesy that would be granted to any new speaker. It doesn't have much of a footprint up on the Senate side, and obviously the things that he is doing right now today are having a prety dramatic impact on the Senate agenda. You know, even just bifurcating the supplemental bills with trying to take an independent vote on Israel is upsetting the Republican majority or the minority in the Senate. And so I think it was probably like, hey, we need to get him up here and make sure we set our agendas together. So half introduction, half agenda setting, but frankly, because of the time that we have available, probably later than it should have happened, but obviously an important meeting.
Speaker 2: When's he going to sit down in the Oval office?
Speaker 1: Jeni?
Speaker 7: You hope it is soon. You know, he just hasn't had the opportunity to meet everybody, including the president, even though he is second in line to the presidency. So there should be a meeting and there should be real conversation. You know, he's only been on the job for a week, so it is going to take some time to get up to speed. But those personal introductions are critically important, as is his staffing. You know, the man hasn't even had a chance. He's starting to staff up, but that is a huge challenge.
Speaker 2: Been a hiring spree in the last twenty four hours. We can talk about that. We just heard from him on the CBO score. That's next. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound on podcast. Catch the program live weekdays at one Eastern on Bloomberg Radio, the tune in app, Bloomberg dot Com, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station. Just say Alexa, play Bloomberg. Eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: We just heard from the Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson, for the first time on this new CBO score on the standalone Israel funding bill. This is the one that the CBO said would add almost twenty seven billion dollars to the budget deficit, remembering that it would be paid for by taking money from the IRS. And this is where we're getting some discord here. Fourteen point three billion dollars and cuts to IRS funding that was part of the Inflation Reduction Act. Now, the White House already says that it's going to veto this thing if it reaches the President's desk, which apparently it's not because I don't know the votes in the House. The Senate doesn't like it, and the Speaker says, I guess pay no attention to the fine print. Heerio, you'd be careful, everybody careful.
Speaker 7: Were you surprised by the CBO's courser.
Speaker 6: Not surprise at all.
Speaker 1: Only in Washington, when you cut spending do they call it a are you along in?
Speaker 2: Only in Washington, when you cut spending do they call it an increase in the deficit. Let's assemble our panel for their take. Genie Schanzano and Rick Davis are with us. The math is difficult to argue with here, Rick, am I missing something?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think the political overlay to this right American public here is that the Speaker is trying to cut funding. Maybe a little of that seeps into oh, by the way, it's the irs, and virtually none of that will go to OH.
Speaker 2: The CBO says that'll increase the deficit.
Speaker 6: I mean, like CBO doesn't have a mouthpiece like the speaker does.
Speaker 2: But then there's reality, right, Genie.
Speaker 7: That's right, And we talked about this yesterday, and so only somebody trying to play political games, and not very effectively, by the way, would try to pull the wool over people's eyes and pretend that they didn't realize that cutting this money to the IRS would actually decrease revenue and increase the deficit. It is a pay for it that doesn't pay for anything. We do need to pay for our spending, but you have to do it in a fiscally responsible and even somebody I don't know, in maybe third grade math, can figure out that when you cut IRS enforcement, you diminish our ability to collect money that the government needs to keep funded. And so Mike Johnson should know that. I am terribly concerned if he doesn't realize that. But I think he realized it, and he's trying to play political games and the politics aside. All thinking people realize this is the reality. It doesn't take a math genius. This has nothing to do with Washington. This is to do with Mike Johnson trying to play political games. Fiscally responsible people don't do this. Just look at Tom Massey, a very conservative guy, who said this is not fiscally responsible. It will add to the deficit. Even Marjorie Taylor Green said the same thing. So you know, he's got to go back to the table on this. Let's find some real cuts for the new speaker so he can move ahead.
Speaker 2: We know we're in trouble when Genie is quoting Marjorie Taylor Greenrick, I don't know what you want to do with that, but I will point you to the Republican Accountability Project, Rick Davis, what do you think of It's a six figure ad campaign to shame Speaker Johnson over his efforts to overturn the twenty twenty election. This is another part of, of course, the narrative in his first full week on the job, that we're hearing a lot more about the amicus brief that he wrote that would have brought from the state of Texas these results to the Supreme Court. Here's just a taste of this ad. It's gonna be running in primetime on Fox News.
Speaker 8: Republican Mike Johnson just became Speaker of the House, but he's the last person who should be leading Congress. After Donald Trump lost the elections, Johnson started pushing Trump's big lie, pressuring the Supreme Court to overturn the will of voters in four states.
Speaker 2: And if they go on to call him a danger to our democracy. Rick, I could keep this thing running, but I'm sure we'll all begin and dated by the ad. If we're watching cable news, who's this resonating with? You mentioned the lack of a megaphone at the CBO. Will this get into the right living rooms? Will it make it? Then?
Speaker 6: I don't get into some I mean they've obviously targeted the right states, you know, Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin. I mean, that's where the fight's going to be for a presidential election. And by the way, all of a sudden, we have a new speaker who nobody's ever heard of, which means they don't hate him yet. You know, voters hated Nancy Pelosi, voters hated you know McCarthy. Voters hate our leaders because they have to go through all this kind of negative campaign advertising. And here's this guy Johnson no one has ever heard of. They haven't learned to hate him yet. So this is step one and teaching people to hate, you know, Speaker Johnson. It's critically critically important that the Democrats are able to demonize Republican leadership, and.
Speaker 2: Mitch McConnell's kind of hard to argue with he's doing a lot of.
Speaker 6: Business with Democrats these days, so they're gonna have to find someone to be the target. Johnson's time in the barrel is now.
Speaker 2: His time in the barrel? Genie. How long is it going to last?
Speaker 7: You know, I think it will, it will last. I have long thought that it's really really tough to demonize the new speaker because his personality doesn't really play with that. You know, it was far easier for the Republicans to demonize Nancy Pelosi than it's going to be to demonize somebody like Mike Johnson. His personality is, quite frankly, a lot more like somebody like our former president, a former vice president, rather Mike Pence. And I think that's going to make it tough now or is he going to go through vetting? Are people going to look back at what he's done? All of that is fair game. All of the things that he has said, he hasn't been vetted as most speakers would be, and so a lot of this is new. But I think unless he changes his tone in a distinct way, that demon demonization is going to be hard. But I do think anybody who plays a role in trying to say the twenty twenty election was stolen. That is fair game to say, look, folks, this is who is leading this party. Do you feel safe putting your trust in this party to run the House? I think that's fair game. He's the one who led the charge quietly as he did.
Speaker 2: Well. When you go big picture, Rick, and you look at that Bloomberg poll that we've talked a lot about with Morning Consult, looking at these seven swing states that are critical, some of which will have that ad running in them, the economy ends up being the number one issue. And is this why no one seems to be dwelling on twenty twenty. Yeah, I think twenty twenty is well.
Speaker 6: The only person who's dwelling on twenty twenty is is Donald Trump. And the Democrats couldn't be happier about that. That's what they want point. But everybody else is like moving on and Democrats are using a lot of the issues to their success from twenty twenty. We see it in advertisings everywhere here in Virginia for the legislative elections that are next week. Abortion, abortion, abortion right. I mean it was Republicans are going to take away your rights, and so we know where they're headed, and Republicans are talking about the economy, so you know, money's on the economy, and that's where I think the twenty twenty four election will be prosecuted at. That's why Biden's going to Wisconsin to talk about the economy and bringing jobs to rural America, you know, trying to get some of those blue collar jobs back. So you see it playing out in real time. But I would say, you know, shoot your bullets on you know, Speaker Johnson in a presidential targeted.
Speaker 2: State doesn't make much sense. If they think it's going to be Trump, they ought to be shooting at him. How about that. Rick Davis and Geenie Shan say, No, great conversation on what is truly the fastest show in politics today, because we've got a Federal Reserve announcement coming up here, and I want to thank you both for great insights. As always, our signature panel Bloomberg Politics contributors Rick Davis and Genie Shann say, No, I'm Joe Matthew in Washington, where tomorrow it's going to be inflation, inflation inflation, right. Thanks for listening to the Sound on podcast. Make sure to subscribe if you haven't already at Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts, and you can find us live every weekday from Washington, DC at one pm Eastern Time at Bloomberg dot com