Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory spelling an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: It is almost twenty twenty five, It is almost New Year's you guys, and time is just moving quick. So I'm gonna go back in time and welcome to another episode.
Speaker 3: Of Wait for It.
Speaker 4: This one is New Year's at the Manor.
Speaker 2: I got winded there, so typically Amy does these with me, but Amy is not here today, so Ruth Anne might jump in. You're bestowed the honor of asking me what it was like, and you might be shocked.
Speaker 3: I'm sure I will be.
Speaker 5: So we've heard a bunch about Christmas at the Manor, but I'm assuming New Year's at the man was quite a big to do as well. Am I right about that?
Speaker 4: You're wrong about that? Oh Y didn't see that one coming.
Speaker 2: So you know how I talk about traditions and feeling guilty if I can't do things that we've done past years with the kids. It comes from my parents, Like my mom was a believer in traditions. We always would look forward to that, and I feel like that's something that imprints on you throughout your life and it's something you carry on and it's a really beautiful thing.
Speaker 4: Traditions.
Speaker 2: So whereas we went all out growing up, well, my mom went all out for Christmas Eve party and then all out for the Christmas dinner we would have New Year's. I feel like this is just for my feelings and memories and perception of it. My dad kind of handled New Year's now, even though we talk about the manner.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go back to the house.
Speaker 2: I grew up in the money manner, right, so I feel like my mom did so much. You know, I always talk about she did all the shopping for my dad, thousands of gifts for everyone that worked with my dad, and then you know, she did all her family and this huge Christmas Eve party and then Christmas dinner and she still made everything happen for the kids at home, Like while doing all this, it just I'm sure.
Speaker 4: She was exhausted.
Speaker 2: So New Year's Eve was very small at our house, which no one would think, and we would have it. So I'm gonna go back to the house I grew up and like I said, and we would have it in what we would call our den, and we would have like our big screen TV there, which you know was the big box at the time, right one on the ground isn't that.
Speaker 4: Crazy how TV's used to like be a huge.
Speaker 2: Box and then once they became like you have your big screen, it was like a console. It like sat on the ground and went feet back and yeah, it's wild. There wasn't a flat screen. Then it didn't pull from the ceiling. Oh, my mom was ahead of her time. She had this screen that pulled from the ceiling. But she's always been ahead of her time.
Speaker 3: So how old are you? Give us the picture? How old are you? Is Randy Bourne?
Speaker 4: Yet, I'm just talking like general memories.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we would on Christmas Eve, my dad would take me shopping. So I'm just gonna talk about me now. So I was probably younger. My brother was little because he didn't go. And this is my memory of it. Let's say I'm like eight. Let's just go with that number because it's coming to my head. And we would go to Thrifties, which is in Beverly Hills, which is no longer Thrifties. It's like right, aid, right, but they still carry Thrifties ice cream, just saying, but Thrifties.
Speaker 4: It was like a Walgreens.
Speaker 2: Write a CBS back in the day, back in the damn soul. It was in Beverly Hills. We had a massive one and my dad we would go there every year and we would get like a fake little tree because we always had real trees and ginormous trees, even when I was little in the mini manner, and we would get like a fake little white Christmas tree and it would be the New Year's tree, and he would let me go around and pick like bulbs to decorate it with, and he would let me shop for like every family member. So basically it was like for him and he would like look away, and it would be for my mom and my brother once he got a little older, and our nanny and you know, anyone that worked at our house, like security or whatever. So I would go through and buy write aid products in a bag. And back then I was like really fascinated because I was a little Beverly Hills girl that we had really fancy stuff everywhere. And to me going to like a drug store, I hadn't seen stuff like that before.
Speaker 4: Does this sounding terrible? So I would be.
Speaker 2: You know, little bottles of shampoo and stuff like that. I was like, my mind was blown.
Speaker 4: This sounds awful.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it was like travel sized, like you know, toothpaste.
Speaker 4: I was like, what what is this?
Speaker 2: You know, the dollar shelf. I'm like, wait, what's a dollar Like? Oh yeah, see I wish he had turned and taught me that then actually, But anyway, I'm sure once I bought all these little like tiny little things and oh and I was fascinated with the little kids that would have like perfume.
Speaker 4: And back then it was like Jenne ta right, is that right?
Speaker 3: Or Charlie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember Charlie perfume, And they would make the little mini ones, I think, and I would, and it would.
Speaker 4: It was like on sale.
Speaker 2: It was left over from Christmas, and it would be like, you know, a little box or a little wreath, and like you could get like sample little perfumes in there and the cream and everything. I think I would get it for my mom, and I'm sure she was just like, oh my god. First of all, my mom didn't like perfumes or sense. She wore one perfume growing up called Joy, which once I became an adult, I wore Joy because it's what my mom wore. But she did not like it would give her allergies in migraines. If like you sprayed random perfumes and random like fragrances, and they were very potent. She always like politely thanks me, but I'm sure she was like, oh my gosh, I don't blame her, but anyway, and then I'd come home, so we'd have.
Speaker 4: Like a bag of like random little travel.
Speaker 2: Size things and little perfumes. I'm sure it was like one hundred dollars each person. You know, it wasn't listen. Shopping has always been my blood, so always in my DNA, so I could shop anywhere, and I think I learned at.
Speaker 4: A young age. I would come home with the foot massager.
Speaker 2: You plug it in and put your feet in and it vibrates and you know, illuminates the water with the lights and like.
Speaker 3: Like as seen on TV.
Speaker 2: Ding ding, ding ding as seen on TV products. But back in the day, Oh my gosh, Oh yeah, I like loved it. But like he loved taking me and we would get stuff and they had a toy aisle with off brand barbies and like you know, the three dollars barbies the stuffies. Yeah, And I would get that from my brother and stuff and just would have so much fun doing it. He would always do it personally with me, and I remember out in the parking lot, we'd be walking in, fans would be like stopping him. And that's one of my first memories of realizing, oh, my dad's someone famous.
Speaker 4: Was it was six actually going to.
Speaker 2: Thrifties and while through that parking lot, him holding my hand and we were going in. He didn't drive, so a driver dropped us off, but we would walk in. He didn't have security with him or anything. It was just me and him back then and fans coming over and getting his autograph. And I was like, oh, hm, my dad's somebody. So now that I'm thinking about it, sorry talking out loud.
Speaker 3: Would he explain it to you? Or like, would you ask or no?
Speaker 4: I never asked.
Speaker 2: Interesting, No, I never asked that is interesting. Yeah, I'm just I've always been an observer and I would just take notes and I was.
Speaker 4: Like, hmm, okay, noted.
Speaker 2: So Christmas Eve, my mom would have like the big catered caviar shrimp towers, you know, like all the massive stuff. Christmas Dinner was like, oh my god, next level, like the turkey, the honey baked tam a million ties.
Speaker 4: Like yeah.
Speaker 2: So in all our traditions that we had, and then New Year's Eve.
Speaker 4: We would just have like burgers. It was just very low key.
Speaker 2: We would get the confetti, not the confetti, it's like the stacked one and you peel them off and you just throw them and it goes comes.
Speaker 6: Out like streamers, kind of streamers ish, and you would get it in like a kit and it would be like the plastic party hats and be like in silver.
Speaker 4: The glitter would all fall off.
Speaker 2: Right, and you would have the not a kazoo, it would be the thing you just wun around and be like.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: You would have poppers, but they'd be the little like it looked like a little bottle of champagne.
Speaker 4: You pull the string and be like would come out. So all of that stuff. So he would let me get that too, and.
Speaker 2: I would decorate our den and our big screen TV and we would watch the ball drop and do all that.
Speaker 3: Did you guys get dressed up?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: So it was totally casual.
Speaker 4: Totally casual.
Speaker 2: I mean we always dress like it'd be fun like, oh, you know, we're like black and silver and like metallic, like something cute.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't like a formal thing, were you Oh.
Speaker 2: My dad would be in his sweatsuit right with his pipe and it was like literally just that.
Speaker 1: So the staff at the house they were bought for the holiday, or was there somebody there like cooking?
Speaker 3: Was there a chefs there making burgers?
Speaker 2: So when we were younger, younger, we would get like take out and bring it in and do that.
Speaker 4: And my parents.
Speaker 2: I feel like, would have like, you know, a bottle of champagne and we'd have a bottle of Martinelli sparkling cider and put him in the plastic like champagne cups. Right, Yeah, And we would do all that and it was really fun. And yeah, that's my memory of New Year's Eve was always super low key. Now cuts you, I know what you're alluding to. At this point, I'm allowed to have friends over.
Speaker 1: But you're now in the manor, you know, all in the mini manor, still in the mini manner?
Speaker 2: Got it, still in the mini Manor. I feel like it was our final year in the mini manner or we had one more. Yeah anyway, same room, same setup. I was allowed to have friends over. So I have two girlfriends that were sleeping over. My brother was ten, I think he had a friend sleeping over, and my parents and I think a couple of my you know, I always say, my kids called my best friends uncle or aunts.
Speaker 4: I grew up with that tradition.
Speaker 2: So a couple of their, like real close best friends, we would call uncle and aunt like they would come over and hang with my parents.
Speaker 4: Super low key, But there was a chef that worked for us.
Speaker 2: And I've talked about this in my books, and I think I've talked about an OMG, but there was a chef that worked for us, and super cute grew up in La surfer boy turned chefs, gone to culinary school and was kind of working his way up and came to, you know, be a personal chef at my parents' house. And we would have this like flirtation because all my girlfriends would come over and be like, oh.
Speaker 4: My god, he's so cute.
Speaker 2: And we'd be like, oh giggling and be like, oh my god, should we just walk through the kitchen like flirt you know how girls are.
Speaker 4: And my friends would be.
Speaker 2: Like, I think he's flirting back with you, and I was like, oh my god, no, like that can't be and yeah, sure enough, he was starting back with me and oh yeah yeah. And I would do in the breakfast room with the mini manner. I would do my homework, and so I would like study there. I had my homework and I would leave it out and I would like then go up to my room, be on the phone with my friends, and late night i'd come down to study or the next morning I'd be looking through my homework and my tray binder and he would have written like little notes to me.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it was it like a one way street. I was like, whoa, what is happening?
Speaker 3: So wait, what kind of notes? What did he say?
Speaker 4: I don't even remember. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: It was just cute boy notes, but like not too flirtatious, but like something.
Speaker 4: I mean, he took a big leap of faith that I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be like mom the chefs. I was writing love notes in my yeah, in my binder.
Speaker 4: Help you know? Wow?
Speaker 3: Wow? Is right?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, we had enough interactions that it was.
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, we're totally flirting with each other.
Speaker 1: How long had he been there before the flirting started in the notes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he was like not concealing that. He was looking at me, like you know, and looking me up and down and like always like doing his stuff and like looking over if I was in the kitchen, like getting snacks with my friends and after school and he was cooking dinner. It was like letting me know, I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing here. But we would have a little bancer and you know, even then, even though I was like kind of shy, like I was still funny and like still like, you know, we would have cute panter in the kitchen anyway, So off the kitchen is the laundry room. And on this particular New Year's Eve, my friends and I were hanging in the den. I had dressed up so like I was wearing I don't know what was in then. I think it was like a cute little like leather like black mini skirt.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I don't know what was in then I know.
Speaker 2: Exactly what I was wearing, a little leather black mini skirt and and like a chiffon black blouse with like a little like brawl and underneath, oh my god, and my hair was kind of big then oof. It was very Donna esque and I think I had like my Doc Martins on or whatever. And we had gotten into the champagne because my parents were like, Okay, you know, you guys are here, you can have one glass of champagne with us, so we each got our half a glass like whatever. And of course when you're that young, you're like ooh, like anyway, little liquid courage. Here's what I think probably happened. My parents were like, you can have like a little thing, so we could do with cheers, and then when they weren't looking, we were like grab everyone's glass, like down it, you know, like the thing teens do, right, like, oh, someone put.
Speaker 4: Their wine glass down, drink it.
Speaker 2: So a little liquid courage. And my friends were like, go in there. You have to go in and talk to him. So I basically went in there and wait.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, you're in the den. I need details. Your parents are in the den. Okay, they're in the den.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It wasn't night like he was home by midnight.
Speaker 2: This was like probably nine o'clock and he was making food for us and cooking, and then he was cleaning up so before when he was cooking. I'm not sure how this transpired. I can't remember, but somehow he had said like when I'm done, like meet me back in the laundry room. Yeah, very subtle, I'm sure it was, but I don't remember how it came across or like, oh my god, are you gonna hang out with me? Like it's New Year's and my friends were probably like you should hang out with her, and he was like, okay, well I have to clean up everything, like you know, his stuff was in the laundry room, like that's where everyone would go like that worked in the house, like you would have your like not cupboards, but like so your locker kind of but not a locker. It was like a family laundryroom. But you would go back there and and like he would take off his chef's jacket and like his apron and like put it away and like you know, put his clothes on his jacket's leather jacket. He was like really cool, had a pickup truck, rode a motorcycle, you know, very like bad boy like I like.
Speaker 4: And then would leave.
Speaker 2: So he was probably like when I'm back there, like I'm off, so if you want to, like you know, meet me back there or something, which for me was very what's the movie, Like I'll meet you like the Eiffel Tower, Will.
Speaker 4: He be there? Will he not be there?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Anyway, it was like, oh, I'll meet you there, So I was like counting down like, he's off at nine, I have to meet him back there.
Speaker 4: I was like panic.
Speaker 2: My friends were like you got this, you know, pumping me up pregame. Anyway, long story short, I went back there and I was like, what if he's just lefting my But he's not going to be there. He's just like, oh, silly young girl. Of course she's going to come meet me back there, and like whatever, I'm off, I'm leaving. But he didn't leave, and he was there and he was like dressed in his normal clothes and he looked so hot. And anyway, he kissed me against the washing machine. Whoa yeah, And I was like, oh my god, that is crazy. I just quite literally kissed our family chef against the washing machine on New Year's Eve.
Speaker 4: It was iconic. That imagine.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine if your mother walked in?
Speaker 4: Oh my poor mom. I stressed her out so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, so wait, so I mean you have your kiss and then he leaves and you just go back to the den and you're like happy here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was like a good kiss too, It was like a full on kiss. I was very Donna Martin at that age, so I wasn't experienced like kissing a lot of boys or doing anything else. So I mean I had kissed screech On Saved by the Bell. I think I had kissed like one boy in real life, and then like he was like the third, like second real boy I had kissed. Anyway, my friends were dying. They were like, you are the coolest chick ever. Like, imagine the stories I had when I went back to school after winter break. Oh my god, I went.
Speaker 4: Back ruling the roost.
Speaker 2: So there's going to be a part two to this, you guys, because welcome to teen girls. I passed notes and talked a little too much to girls, and they were like, oh my.
Speaker 4: God, what what happened?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you kissed the cute chef in your parents' house and this got back and there's a whole story what happened. Oh yeah, that's her Part two. Chef Boyard has got nothing on me. Let me tell you, no chefs will be hurt in the making of this story. But all I'm gonna say is I ran into him fifteen years ago. No way, way, okay, anyway, So that's my New Year's story.
Speaker 3: That was a very very happy New Year for you.
Speaker 2: I know, I've never had a good one since. Oh my gosh, I have never had a good New Year since.
Speaker 3: New Year's is super overrated. So the fact that you have this iconic, crazy story, well, it's just.
Speaker 2: That every teenage girl's dream. The older boy he's.
Speaker 4: Flirting with you.
Speaker 2: It's that one summer, except it was this one winter and You're like, he'll never like me.
Speaker 4: I'm so awkward. Why would you think I'm cute? He could have any girl, and then like he likes you. It was just every like movie. It was every John Hughes movie wrapped in.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, it's like sixteen Candles.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he was my Jake Ryan Yep, yes, oh.
Speaker 4: No, I'm acting like my grind.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but anyway, so I'll have one of what she had who was me on that New Year's Eve? Because I've never had a good one since, and I would love good New Year's That's all I'm saying. But now it's all about the kids, and until they're older, I feel like I'm not going to be like, you know, having the romantic, fun New Years. But yeah, so that was New Year's at the Mini Manor. They're actually sorry, now I'm going to break everyone's heart. I don't think we ever had New Year's at the Manor. Like, once we got to the Manor, we went out for New Year's Eve because I was, you know, my late teens and then my early twenties, and my brother was with his friends and we kind of just went out, so we didn't even have any manner New Year's Eve.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Okay, guys.
Speaker 2: On that note, Wow, may you find your chef to kiss against a washing machine in twenty twenty five. Wow, so many wishes for all of you. No, honestly, as we go into this new year, let's take the pressure off. I always make New Year's resolutions that I don't hold myself accountable for. Let's just say, going into the new year, this is our year, Like it's a time to do a restart, a refresh, a reboot, and a brig and glow up. So let's make this one iconic. I love you guys, Be safe and see you in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Love you,