Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex Barth and Lazarre.
Speaker 2: Hello, everybody nailed it, joined us always.
Speaker 1: Here is Evan Lazar and Alex Barr.
Speaker 2: Actually like Robert Solo, Okay, it's gonna leave that there.
Speaker 1: I I like him less this year than I have in the past, But this is actually one of the few guys that I generally don't like to take shots at.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, that that was crazy. That was crazy. But in in every you know, in your defense, Alex, I I took a lot of shots at Mike McCarthy last week, and I was dead wrong. Yeah, I was dead wrong about that. So we'll get into that. It's Evan Lazar Alex Barth with you for the next couple of hours here on Patriots Catch twenty two. We got some things to look back. We're gonna do a post mortem. We're gonna talk about the Dallas game. We're gonna do three up, three down, or it's a little bit of a different version of three up three this week, I should say, and I'll tell you why in a few minutes. And then we also have Nick Underhill calling in from NOLA Dot football. We haven't done this before a call in guess, but I wanted to have Nick Collin and get to know the Saints a little bit. He's the best on the Saints, and it is a team we don't see very often up here, so I thought it'd be good to get somebody on the inside down there that knows what's going on in New Orleans. So we're gonna talk some Saints with Nick and preview the Saints and do our key matchups. But I have a couple of things that I wanted to get off my chest here at the beginning of the show. And I should also say that, you know, I've been a little bit under the weather this week, as you know, Alex, and so hopefully my voice doesn't like crap out at some point in the next two hours. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. The first thing is that I want to talk about a couple of things with the Patriots offense and where we're headed here. Number one, I want to address people that have been saying the last couple of days since the debacle in Dallas, and it was an outright debacle. I was there in person, and it was not fun to Witness Live. I'm sure it wasn't fun for you guys watching it on TV. The people that have come out and said the Patriots should tank the rest of the season, And it's not like that big of a thing. I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here. But as somebody that is privileged to see a lot of the inner workings of the organization, Alex, you see plenty of it yourself as well. Yeah, this starts for the coaches and the players and the people within this building all the way back in the spring, right like you start with you know, OTAs and off season program and then rookie mini camp and mini camp, and like all the way back in April. Obviously the front office and personnel people they started at the combine and free agency and the drift. The people in these walls and in this building are not going to tank, right, Okay, Like, the amount of work that gets put into a football season for this organization is way too much to even put the word tank out there to these people. So I understand the bigger picture of why you tank, and I understand why fans think that they should at least be quiet tanking. Maybe not like full on like you know, throwing interceptions to lose the game type of thing, but they should be quiet tanking. And I get the premise, but I think it's a little bit. It's it's so much deeper than that. So to that point, you know, we're gonna talk about the J. C. Jackson trade and all that sort of thing, and I think that that speaks to it. I heard a lot of people that said that, you know, why even bother, why even bother making this trade. The bottom line is is that the Patriots are not going to tank. They're never gonna tank, and they I honestly don't think that they should ever tank. Now, there's a difference between full on tanking and what I just said, quiet tanking. Right, Like, you know, you're probably not gonna win a Super Bowl this year, right, they know that, But you're not gonna have a team that's gonna tank. It's just not gonna happen here. And I think it's you know, I don't want to use the word disrespectful, but it's just you got to think about all the work that gets put in and all the guys in the locker room and all the players on this team, and some of these guys too, like mind you or free agents at the end of the year, so there their livelihoods are at stake to put good film out there. No one's tanking in the Patriots, no one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think a lot of people don't understand how tanking works. Like you see people say all the time, why would the coach try this? If they're trying to tank, why would the players? Tanking happens from the general manager level up right there? In any context, quiet tank, obvious tank, where you're tank from the start of the year, where you're tanking starting in November. There is never any incentive for a coach and player to tank because even if the team the organization wants to lose games for the purpose of draft position the play, why would the players want that? Right They odds are if you're a tanking team, you're probably overhauling the roster. That means most of the players won't be around next year. They want to put good plays on tape so they can go elsewhere and still be on a team in the future, even if it's not that team. The same goes for coaches. They don't want to lose their jobs. They want to prove, whether it's to the organization they're working for and I'm just talking in generalities here, or another organization that they're still employable. The general manager is the lowest level where a tank comes from, because he may put together a team that he looks at it and says, this team will get me in the top five of the draft or whatever it may be. When the coach is the GM, that goes away. Right, So, if they're gonna tank at this point, it's not coming from Bill. Bill's trying to win games. There's zero incentive, believe it or not. And people go, oh, well, doesn't he want a better quarterback? No, there's no incentive for Bill Belichick to tank at this point.
Speaker 2: No. I mean, frankly, his job security right on the line a little bit.
Speaker 1: If they're picking in the top five, he might not be the one making that pick.
Speaker 2: And then what is the tech week I can talk about if you should be the one making that pick.
Speaker 1: And we'll probably get to that at some point down the road if it calls for it. So I is there anybody really between Bill and Robert? I guess would be my question. And Robert's not gonna tank, And I go back to people might roll their eyes at this, but I go back to, uh, you watch the last dance, right, she watched the last dance. It was in the first or second episode. It's Michael Jordan's rookie year and the Bulls they're not great yet. It's the last game of the year against the Knicks and they need to lose to have like a shot at the number one overall pick in the lottery or whatever it is. It's some sort of draft thing and it's like kind of big and they tell Michael Jordan like, hey, stop trying right, stop scoring. We need to lose this game. And he is furious. They have to pull him out of the game because he means, what do you mean draft position? This is a game that's being played right here, right now. I'm gonna win it. And I think that mentality, and this applies to more than tanking, but I think you see that mentality with a lot of the greats and sports I always had. I believe like Tom Brady has that mentality right, he wouldn't go into a season. There was some talk in twenty nineteen or at the end of his time in Tampa that, oh, he's just phoning it.
Speaker 3: In.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's a guy that had that capacity. I don't think that's something that would cross his mind. Yeah, I think the whole concept of tanking is something it's not even his Bill Belichick considering it.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's wired that way. Yeah, no, or he would believe in that.
Speaker 1: So you can put the tanking away right now. That's not gonna happen. That's not how they're they're wired. And again, I hate it. When what was it?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 1: It was the Texans and Colts last year? No Texans? And who is it the Texans beat in Week eighteen?
Speaker 2: I think I think it was the Cults.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so they beat the Colts and if they had lost that game, they would have had the number one overall pick, and we knew that going in and they won it, and people.
Speaker 2: Are like, you know what, idiots they ended up with?
Speaker 1: Right, so one, they might have ended up with a better quarterback, but too, where is the incentive for any of those players to go out there and play poorly? They don't care what the pick is. Most of them won't be back next year.
Speaker 2: Or part of the rebuilder whatever, or.
Speaker 1: If they already what they're gonna put the team in better position to draft their replacement, like tanking doesn't. The way we talk about tanking in the world of sports is not done logically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. So with that that said, you know, just turning the Patriot are going to talk a little bit of J. C. Jackson as well, and he was out of practice today with the Patriots on Thursday. But the other thing, like I kind of challenged fans in that respect to like move on from the tanking thing, like they're not that's not happening. They're not going to purposely try to lose games. They're not going to try to you know, think about that in that sense. So let's let's move on from that. But for the players for the Patriots, I I've watched quite a bit of things coming off this game, and everybody's got an opinion about what happened in Dallas, and understandably, that's that's the job, that's what we do. But from my own film study, and then I thought J. T. Os Sullivan did a great job with Mac Jones and in his quarterback breakdown as well. The thing that I kind of came away from it, and we're gonna get to Mac and I'm not trying to excuse Mac of his play because this was this was on mass his career. Yeah, Mac was was not good in this game. We know that. The one thing I would I would say quickly though, is that and this has been on my mind, I offensively, and I think that this started last year and a lot of us chalked it up to Patricia and like just not having belief in what the coaching staff. But this group of players doesn't have that excuse anymore, like they don't have the Patricia scapegoat anymore. And what I was really disappointed about in this game and then watching it back on film, is just the the lack of of a fight from this team, like the lack of like attention to detail and the lack of of I don't want to use the word effort because that's not fair, but just the lack of fight. And it comes down to a couple of different things. First of all, teams that can't run the ball. You walk around the locker room and like I'm gonna go on a little bit of ramp, but you walk around the locker room and you wear those damn T shirts that say tough teams cover kicks, tough teams also run the football. Yes, tough teams block and run the football and take it to the opponent and you know, take their will. Like all those old cliches that we hear in football, I subscribe to a lot of this. I know. I'm a spreadsheet guy. I love them.
Speaker 1: This is crazy. But you're advocating for smash mouth football.
Speaker 2: I am advocating for them to give an f right, Like, That's what I'm advocating for. So first of all, you you can't run the ball right, So that tells me, right then and there that that your physicality as an offense is at the door.
Speaker 1: I have a theory on that, but put a pin in that.
Speaker 2: Keep going. Second of all, I watched a clip, two different clips. First clip because the second one is even bigger deal to me. First clip was from the Raiders Chargers game, and they're both from the Raiders Chargers game, I should say, But the first one was Keenan Allen. Keenan Allen is in like a tight skull. I saw this was good, and he chips the end on his way out of the route and he decletes the guy. He sends him into orbit Pancakes and the Patriots routinely tried to chip Micah Parsons routinely with the backs, with the receivers, with the tight ends. Week If your job is to chip Micah Parsons, you chip Micah Parsons right like, that's Micah Parsons. That's number eleven. That guy's an absolute freak and he took over this game. He ruined your quarterback and all you did was give a little forearm shiver on the way by. Yeah, it's gonna gonna try to push him, like, gonna try to put a little shoulder shake into him right now. When you when your job is to to chip the best player on the other team on your way out, you know the old like offensive line guys would say, get a slab, Yeah, right, get a freaking slab of the guy. So that's number two. Number three the Chargers Raiders game again. Justin Herbert scrambles and gets absolutely laid out on the sideline by Jerry Tillery. Late hit, dirty play, all of it, like Drew Bledsoe esque laid out the entire Chargers sideline. Coaches, players, defensive players, the punter, guys without helmets on the practice squad, guys in workout clothes, on the sideline. The whole organization got up off the bench and stormed the castle, all of them, all of them. Jerry Tillery had to be pulled out of a pile of people and basically like rescued by his teammates because they were all out for blood. Not literally, like I'm exaggerating for the point, but like you know what I'm trying to say. And for two straight weeks, starting last week with the Sauce Gardner bs and then this week with Matt I don't care if you think that Mac Jones stinks. I don't care if you don't like Mac Jones as a person, as a teammate. That's your quarterback, Yeah, that's your quarterback. When he gets hit and guys are standing over him and guys are are you know, getting in his face and things like that, you gotta come clean house. You gotta, you have to. That's the sport. It's the same in hockey, right like like you know you take out for years with the If somebody comes after David Postronach on the Bruins and somebody lays out David Pastronach, do you think that there's gonna be no response response for that? Of course, there will be of course, like that's that's the sport, that's football, that's your quarterback. Like take some pride in it, you know, like they play up to a certain standard and it goes down to like the techniques and the fundamentals of it too. If you're if it's third and fifteen or third and fourteen, whatever that situation was, right, and you remember this one right before the sneak, it was a third and fourteen, third and fifteen. Don't run a thirteen yard route on third and fourteen, right, run a fourteen and a half yard route. Run the route past the sticks when you're coming out on fourth down and it's a big fourth down play, rub, get a rub, get a pick, get juju open, Like, don't just run in and lollygag off the line of scrimmage. This type of stuff has been going on for two years now with this team. Two years now they've been playing like this, And I didn't think that Bill O'Brien would stand for it. You know, he's not that type of coach. And you know his nickname is Tea Pot and like I feel like he was losing his mind over this kind of stuff. But this has become and you talk about the turnovers and you talk about all like this is this is ingrained in the DNA of the team at this point that they that this is how their offense plays. And you don't have the Patricia escapegoat anymore. He's not gonna he's not gonna shield it for you anymore. So we're coming after you now, like show some pride. That's all I got. So I'll say on that part first.
Speaker 1: There is this weird take this week that Matt Patricia somehow vindicated by what happens Sunday. Yeah, nobody was saying replace Matt Patricia one for one swap and everything will be fixed. Matt Patricia. Replacing him was the first step of the process. And I wrote out my ten step process for the off season back in January, and replacing Matt Patricia was step one. There was also adding wide receivers, adding tackles, things like that that they didn't do. On the quarterback thing, You're absolutely right, and people want to make that about Mac Jones. The guys won't stand up for Mac Jones. Again, it's a point of pride. It doesn't matter who your quarterback is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't matter if it's Mac Jones, Will Greer Bailey z Appy right, I don't care. It's not that that.
Speaker 1: Is you getting beat. That is just having some self respect, I think. Yeah, so I agree with a lot of what you said. I don't think that it's any sort of vindication for Patricia. I think it's players not showing up. The short of the sticks thing that's been a problem all year. It's been a problem for the most part with the same guy, yeah, ju Smith Schuster, but it's.
Speaker 2: Been a two year problem like this, these nutshells, you know, in this game, I thought a lot of and again, like we're going to get into Mac. I promise you that we're not trying to like make excuses for him. But in this particular game, there is a lot of things that were Patricia esk right. Guys running into each other, Guys not knowing the situation, Guys just not executing the route combinations the way that they're supposed to be executed. And this is the type of stuff. And I point at the coaching staff and Billy oh at this too, like this is what he was brought in here to clean up.
Speaker 1: Well, so, and I'll remember back when we were going through the offensive coordinators and Bill O'Brien wasn't at the top of my list, and you got all annoyed with me. Do you remember that? Sure, I on Cliff kings parrience was before he went to Thailand or whatever, right Bangkok.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the thing with Bill O'Brien at Alabama, and you're seeing it again. Alabama's offense last year schematically made a lot of sense, but there were a lot of dumb penalties and it became very one dimensional early. Yeah, you're kind of seeing the same thing here.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean I've been on their run game the whole season.
Speaker 1: So it goes to my point about the run. You say they can't run the ball. I maybe how they haven't really tried.
Speaker 2: So I but it's not even like a to me that you go ahead they Okay, I get what you are saying.
Speaker 1: It's the two plays against Dallas. There's the third and one in the red zone in the first quarter. Yeah, where they throw the ball to Mi Kasiki. Mac makes a bad throw, Kasiki makes a bad play on the ball. They both screwed up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mack Kaziki. Bad plays by both of them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then you have the fourth and one in the second quarter, just over the fifty and the game I don't think there'd been one turnover yet. I'm pretty sure it's either a three to three game or a ten three game at this point, very much a football game. And look that tush push plays great. It's automatic. It's automatic for about a half a yard.
Speaker 2: It's also automatic for the Eagles. That's automatic for a lot of teams. A lot of teams are struggling with it though.
Speaker 1: Okay, but well, but here's I think part of the problem why a lot of teams aren't. Patriots are bad with this. It's automatic for half a yard. There's teams running it from like a yard and a half two yards out. I know this is college, but Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago they ran it from the three. That's not going to work. And I saw when they were lining up for that play. I turn to somebody, I said, and I'm talking about the Patriots. Now fourth in what was really yard and a half. I turned to somebody, say they're in the formation. I go, they this has to be a fake. They have to somehow fake the touch push here cause it's too long. The play doesn't get you that much yardage. And MATC gets half a yard, but they needed a yard and a half. And they've become think about how many third or fourth and ones have they gone right to the touch push this year? Yeah, like quickly to the lines, didn't even think about it. They've become too reliant on that play. And I go to those two plays, the third one, the fourth and one. There was a play last week against the Jets. I don't remember the exact scenario, but they had a third and short and they went to the toush push and it worked, but barely. They went to the touch push instead of handing the ball off. And it goes back to something we talked about last week. Even this team is built to be a run dominant team. Yeah, get under center, put one of your two hundred and fifty pound backs behind you, hand the ball off to him and let him go downhill. And I don't know whether they can't look they're not running the ball as well as they should, But the big picture of that is more about them not breaking big runs when it comes.
Speaker 2: To third and one.
Speaker 1: I don't need a twenty yard run fourth and one, I don't need a twenty yard run. I need a yard and a half. I need two yards, which say what you will about the running game. They don't have a lot of big plays. They don't have a ton of negative plays either. Why can't you on third and one or fourth and one getting the ey set with Pharaoh Brown or just put one back back there in a single back and hand the ball off into the B gap. Why is there such a reason forget doing it? If they do it and fail, we can change the conversation.
Speaker 2: Try it.
Speaker 1: They haven't even tried it, and it's mind blowing. And I'm not saying they lost the game on either of those those two plays. They lost the game because they turn a ball over three times and quit. But are for instance, the the now the third and one or the third and one in the red zone they kick a field goal on what was a very promising drive. If they get a touchdown there, they have an early lead. The fourth and one.
Speaker 2: His answer.
Speaker 1: The fourth and one, the defense actually holds the Cowboys punt. The punt pins the Patriots at the two, and the next play, Mac Jonalds just strip sacked essentially in the end zone. So it's it's a snowball effect. These things compound if you pick up those two first downs you're probably not in a spot where you're pressing later in the game and mac Jones gets panicked and receivers are trying to do too much and things like that. Bill O'Brien called that failed quarterback sneak a big moment in the game. He called it that on Tuesday. He's right, if you can't pick up third and one, And then when we talk about the Saints game, I want to get back into this. If you can't pick up third and one on the ground, especially for a team that wants to move the ball methodically.
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I mean I go back to twenty fifteen I think it was, and that game in Denver, they had like a third and one or fourth and one or something for a big spot in the game. And I remember coming off that game when they lost that. You know, Dante Scarnekio had said, if you like good football teams, good offenses, pick up third and one, right, Like, it's not even a question.
Speaker 1: But I they pick a third and one by just lining up, get a hat on a hat and win it the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, that was his point. I agree with you. Look, I've been I've been critical of the way that they've schemed up the running game all year, and I thought this game fell right into the same trap. First of all, just from like a gameplay a matchup standpoint. Dallas is a aggressive attack minded defense. They're a ballhowking defense, and they are an aggressive front. We saw that it come full of fruition, and that's why you lost by thirty five points. So running the ball right at that Dallas is not the way to run the ball against them. We talked about this with the Cardinals, Like the Cardinals outflanked them, they changed the point of attack. They use misdirection, they use motion, and they outflanked Dallas. That's how you run the ball against Dallas. You don't run the ball against Dallas by running gap like duo right after right right like, That's not how you do it, because they attack the line of scrimmage and they come downhill at you, and they get penetration in the backfield and they blow runs up that way. You have to outflank Dallas and they didn't even try to do that really very well. And schematically, this run game, I don't think it's using the personnel to the best of its ability either, because Frankly, their tight ends can't block. Hunter Henry and Mikasiki are not blocking tight ends. They can't block. So why are we using Hunter Henry and mi Kasiki at the point of attack? Like, why are we running to the y tight end in this offense? They can't hold up at the point of attack. Mike Kasiki, you know, coming into like a little motion and and leading up through the B gap to try to kick out a two hundred and fifty pound linebacker. He can't do it. That's he's not winning that matchup. So you have to, you know, find ways to use them on the backside of runs and run away from the tight ends and use them, you know, out on the perimeter against safeties in corners where they might actually be able to win that matchup. Kaziki and Henry, anytime they are blocking a defensive end or a linebacker, they're losing that matchup every time. And you can't do that anymore. You have to figure out some different ways that this run game right now is not creative. It's bland, and they have to figure out they don't trust it. This scheme it up.
Speaker 1: But I think what's even worse is they don't trust it, and I.
Speaker 2: Don't blame them for not trusting it, okay, because they can't block it. Like, they can't block it.
Speaker 1: This team can't run the ball.
Speaker 2: They're not going anywhere that we're on the same page on that. I mean, that's the whole thing. And that's why I'm saying that they need to figure out the best way to use their personnel. This is not the best way to run the football with this personnel. And the reason why they've had to run out thirteen personnel all the time with three tight ends is because they can't block. So they have to add Pharaoh Brown into the mix, and then they have to have some sort of passing threat, so they have to have the other two tight ends out there with him, because if it's like twelve with Pharaoh Brown, then your real hotel. Yeah, there's just not much to do there, and they need to figure out how to run the ball. Like if I had to sit here and say, I think we're both in agreement, you know, what's the way to fix this?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Like, what's the way to salvage it? I think is a better way of putting it than fix it. What's the way to salvage it? The way to salvage it is to get your offensive line in order and run the ball. And until they get more creative, until they get more imaginative in the run game, they're not going to be able to run the ball. They're just not because if they just try to hat on a hat come right at teams, they don't have the blockers to do it. And that's the bottom line.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a problem because that's how you pick up third and one, fourth and one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's probably why they don't trust their running game to do it.
Speaker 1: I would almost rather them go down swinging in that sense then keep going the tush push on fourth and two, which.
Speaker 2: I get what you're saying. I just I think if you're gonna go down swinging quote unquote, like you gotta be more creative with it. Okay, so let's start to get a jet sweep, can we get you know, some sort of disdirection can be you know, like there's just the point is is that you can't just especially against teams that have good fronts like Dallas does. The Saints have a good front two, but it's not quite as good as the teams they've played so far in the first month. I would say, maybe it's better than Miami's, but it's close in general. Like when you get to some of these games where you're not playing these ridiculously talented fronts, you know, against the Raiders for example in Vegas the week after this, like maybe those are our games that you can come right at those teams. Right in these games against the fronts that are that are better than your offensive line, which is a lot of teams at the moment, you have to be creative, like you can't just run right at them.
Speaker 1: So okay, that brings me to two personnel points.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow Douglas played eighteen snaps last week. A few wist of anybody but Time Montgomery, who we've also said, we want to see you more. But yeah, they ran the end around to tomorrow Douglas against the Jets. They did it in a key moment in the game. Where was that the other thing?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: All right, look, so you talk about getting the offensive line right, yep, and we can get into maybe Riley Reef coming back. But we were texting about this yesterday. It's our job to say, you know, kind of analyze this thing. And even if we're banging our head against the wall, I think it's time to bring this up. Evan, I said to you back in training camp, at what point do we have the con because best five, right, that's what you're talking about when you say get the offensive line in order, you're talking about getting figuring out your best five, getting the best five on the field.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I said to you back in training camp, and this was an honest question at the time. How long can they go before they seriously have to have the micro and WNU at right tackle conversation? You said about three or four weeks if it looks bad in three or four weeks, spot on one. Now, as I bring this up, do I think there's any chance it happens? No, because I think if they were gonna do it, they would have done it already. Yeah, but we're not doing our jobs. If we sit here and don't don't say that it should be an option, because, yeah, you put him out there. Riley Reef looked good at right guard this summer when they moved him in there, he did. I actually think if you went on whenu Reef Andrews whoever left guard, col Strange if he's healthy at Tonio Maffi's not, and then Trent Brown. That's not a bad line. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you they're great. But you you love to soccer. On this right you can cover up one spot. Yeah, if you're covering up left guard and that's your spot. And on Whenos holding down right tackle and Reef looks like he did at the summer and right guard, you might be okay.
Speaker 2: You can at least be able to like maybe run the ball a little bit better. Yes, Like Reef is not a great pass blocker at this point of his career because of his foot.
Speaker 1: Speed, but that's he mitigated at guard well. And he's also just like a tough guy, Like he's a hard nose, tough like road grading type of blocker.
Speaker 2: Maybe he can block a little bit. Yeah, look, I I think you absolutely have to have the on winning discussion. I thought Mafi was actually pretty good all things, which I think.
Speaker 1: Makes it even more of a talking pain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think Mafi's got to be in there. I would at this point if you're just going off of.
Speaker 1: So then if if Riley Reef isn't ready to put Mafiat right guard strange at.
Speaker 2: Left, if you're just going off of the film, that we've seen so far, and I'm not, you know, not to take the the film last year for Cold Strange out of it, take the fact that he was a first round pick out of it. If you just asked me to grade Cole Strange versus Antonio Mafi, I'm taking Mafi. I'm taking Mafi. Yeah, I think he's better. I would go Trent at right, Trent from left to right, Trent, Mafy Andrews. Probably figure out whatever you can. Reef, you know, probably if Ree's healthy, i'd and then and then tackle. If you don't, if Reef's not ready, then maybe Strange still plays left guard and Mafi plays right guard, and you would put you wouldn't put out there. No, okay, I think he's still better than so okay, and I think that, like there is something to be said for the fact of like pulling a first round pick a year ago, like a right fair enough.
Speaker 1: But but but the point being like, and and you know, I don't we don't need to do too much of this because for whatever reason, it's not going to happen. Yeah, but I still feel like we should bring it up because they probably should consider it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So that I didn't. I'm glad we we did this because I didn't want to, like, you know, everybody's leading with Mac in the quarterback situation before we get Nick on here, and like ten minutes or so, I do want to talk a little bit of Mac, And we're going to get to him, I'm sure, and studs and duds as well in the second hour of the show. But my whole thing with Mac is, uh, you know, first of all, the stuff that he put out there on Sunday is not not NFL caliber. No, he can't play that way and stay in the league and stay as a starter, I should say in the league, I am. You can make excuses for him in terms of the line. The offensive line right now Alex is dead last and pass blocking there's the thirty second ranked unit in pass blocking on in every metric. Yeah, they're the worst pass blocking line in the league. So you can make those excuses for him. You can make the excuses that he doesn't have a lot of firepower on the outside and skill positions and stuff like that. That's all valid and all true. That does an excuse doing what he did on Sunday. No, Like, you still have NFL guys around you. You still shouldn't be imploding like that. His second quarter was as bad of a football quarter as I've seen any quarterback play. I mean, bad play after bad play after. It wasn't just the turnovers like it was the other plays in that quarter that could have been turnovers or were just disaster plays as well. It's snowbottled him and he fell apart. I think the two biggest things that stand out that are you know, one is I'm willing to he corrects this week and it doesn't happen again, at least as badly as it did against Dallas.
Speaker 1: Is all the crazy like out of structure stuff across the body y, Yeah, like all.
Speaker 2: That decision making stuff that he did, you know, the back across the you know, the two throws across the field, Uh, the scrambling one on the right hand side where he basically threw it right to Dallas again and he just dropped the guy to drop the interception. Like those types of things. I don't think he's gonna do again.
Speaker 1: I'll say, if I was the coaching staff, I'd tell him I'd pull him if I saw one of those week, I would say, we'd rather you eat a twenty yard sack. We need to see that you're not going to be doing that because that's not NFL quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the thing I'm most concerned about, and this isn't toil. Like you know, people they always get on me for taking victory laps and things like that. I'm really not trying to do that. But in week one, you remember, Yeah, I came out and I said that I didn't think mac Jones played that great against the Eagles, and I broke down all of the like minut shows to why with his footwork and things like that, that I was concerned about how he played against Philadelphia despite the stat line, and I got attacked. Alex I got attacked. People were coming after me for it. They were like, what are you talking about? You don't know ball? You threw for three hundred yards through for three dds, YadA, YadA, YadA. I have seen mac Jones' footwork be crappy all season long. He has not been right with his feet all year long. He's thrown off his back foot, he's fading out of pockets, he's bailing out of pockets. He's not you know, his feet aren't pointed in the hallway right, you created the hallway of where you're going with the football. His feet aren't pointed in the right directions. His feet are an utterly gross mess right now. I don't think it was as bad in the first three games as it was on so of course it wasn't. But what my concern was is that I was starting to see these signs of his footwork falling apart, and I think the main thing that you have to look at is to me, the main thing is is that he can't survive this level playing like that. Yeah, his footwork can't be inconsistent like that. He can't, you know, be have happy feet in the pocket and you know, just be I don't even know what the word is, just unsettled in the pocket. He can't be those things because he doesn't have the arm talent to make up for it. And so what I saw against Philadelphia was you know, throws that were short into the sideline, throws over the middle of that needed more zip on them, and they were some of these were completed, yeah, but they were leaving yards on the field because they weren't completed as well as they could have been. And this game, it was all of that turned up to a life.
Speaker 1: I think you could see his decision making his mechanics fall apart in real time. He completely imploded. And look, it wasn't you kind of said to begin there wasn't going great around and the line was playing poorly. The receivers you're playing poorly. Your first round quarterback, your job is to elevate that group. Your job is say get behind me. We're going to clean this up. And it starts at me. And Mac has said that, like verbally, he said it at press conferences. Son was not a good example of that. They followed the body language of their quarterback through and through. Yeah, And it's just you could tell he You hear players talk a lot about, you know, how do you come back from a deficit. You can't make it all up in one play. You can't chase it all in one play. And that's what it felt like he was trying to do that whole game. He was trying to race it a fourteen, twenty twenty eight whatever it was point deficit in a single play on every single snap, and he's wheeling off his back foot and look, I thought early to get he was running around a lot. And that goes to the offensive line. I thought early early in that game, and I talked about how the first drive was promising. He did a good job of kind of moving around but still playing within himself. As soon as they missed that fourth and one, right that play with the fumble, Buddy, you got to know where you are on the field, Yeah, you gotta, and to be running around with the ball back there like the Mike Vick animation and mad No. Four which isn't real. He can't run around with the ball like that for real. And to do it on your own goal line, that's just trying to do too much. And I think from that point on, and that's why I go back to that play call, they failed that, and I think as a quarterback, as other offensive players. And this isn't to excuse Mac, but this is just to kind of prove that point. I would bet truth serum, you asked, Mac, did you panic after you didn't get that fourth down? I would bet he said. Yet he would say yes, and I think other players would say yes. And you could see it because that moment is where it wasn't even it was before the turnover. People pointed that turnover and say, oh, he turned the ball over once and fell apart. No, he fell apart when they didn't get the quarterback sneak. And I think some of that is probably, well, if we can't get this, we're in big trouble, and now I have to do things I don't usually do, and Mac, there's a reason you don't usually do them, it's because he can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maybe I also think that in some ways, and in both of the turnovers actually kind of in the first half speak to this, he hit the throw to pop Douglas out of structure, and then I think he thought, oh, I pulled it off one time, right, And then on the second interception on the pick six, he hit that throat hit earlier, and I wonder if he had like a false sense of security of like, oh, well, maybe I can pull these off today, you know. I think it's both.
Speaker 1: I think it's a sense of panic that leads him to make these those plays and then they happen to hit and then it's like, let me go back to that.
Speaker 2: So I think the biggest thing though, in terms of moving forward and the best thing that I could say like for Mac and the best advice that I hope the coaching staff and Bill O'Brien and Evan Rostein and those guys are giving him is relocating in the pocket? Is your best friend? Yeah, you he's not. He's not a mobile quarterback. He's not a mobile quarterback. He shouldn't be trying to get outside the pocket. He shouldn't be trying to scramble. He shouldn't be trying to create out of structure. He needs to play, like he said yesterday, he needs to play within the scheme, right, within the framework of the offense. So what what I've always had reservations about with Mac and like canns about with the way that he plays, is that he doesn't have that Brady pocket movement gene where he can move and like short bursts in the pocket. So if your left guard is getting beat, and I'm not like picking on Mafi, I'm just using it as an example, maybe the right tackle would have been a better example in this case. If your right tackle is getting beat, but the other four fifths of the line have created a pocket, you have to be able to maneuver to find the air space right like right, Just take a little step to the left and a little step up and do it quickly and then reset your feet and make a throw. He doesn't. He he has two things. He either bails on the pocket or he throws off his back foot and just stands there and take it and takes the hit. And he's got to learn because of the fact that he needs to throw from that sturdy base and that sturdy platform with his feet set, he's got to learn how to make those Brady Jedi like movements in the pocket and have that sense of the pressure and where is the clean air space and where are are am I protected? And where am I not protected? Because bailing on the pocket can't be an option for him because he's not gonna create yards with his legs, And throwing off his back foot can't be an option for him because he's not gonna be able to put enough mustard on the throws to.
Speaker 1: Make the well, no quarterright period, no quarterbacktually thrown off their back foot. That's like Patrick Mahomes can throw off his back Again, we've established this.
Speaker 2: He's not as good as Patrick. I'm not saying that. I'm saying that like those types of guys can do that type of stuff. He's got to learn how to work within what he's his skill set is and if he doesn't need like move off his spots a little bit. Sometimes. You know, there's one play where Michaeh Parsons yet he comes up the middle and he's and he's coming through, but David Andrews gets just enough of him to like knock Parsons off his track just a little bit, and all Mack has to do is step to his right, reset and make a throw, and instead he just lets Parsons hit him right. And so that those little things like the maneuvering of the pocket and finding the clean air and you know, resetting your base and you know, a little quick move to the left and reset, those are the types of things that pocket quarterbacks need to master. If you're gonna be a really good pocket quarterback, and especially one that doesn't have a big arm, you have to be able to reset your base and make throws like that where you're not you're not scrambling, you're just moving like an inch here inch there in the pocket. If he can't figure out how to do that, then this is how it's gonna look like, not as bad as it is on Sunday, but like for the first month of this season, this is how it's gonna look, he's made some good throws staring down the barrel right like guys are coming at him, and he's made some good throws. But he's got to figure out how to make those little subtle movements in the pocket. I haven't really seen him do that at this level, at a high level regularly. I haven't really seen him have that type of pocket movement. And he's got to figure out how to do that because he's got to throw with his feet set. He has to throw on time and with his feet set, So you have to figure out ways to work around that. I don't think you know, And I thought Billy Oh said it perfectly when he said it was uncharacteristic of him to make some of the decisions that he made in that game. Spot on. It was there. No one's like thinking that Mac Jones gonna throw across the field and throw pick sixes like he did on Sunday all the time. It was and characteristic of him. But the little throws here and there that he missed in that game were because of his footwork and his pocket movement. Yeah, all right, we're gonna get Nick underhill here on the line in the second. So I don't want to get too much off on anything else. But I think the other couple of things in this game that were obviously troubling were the injuries. But the Patriots did make a trade for J. C. Jackson, Yes, and I did want to get to that. And I think the trade for j. C. Jackson, we went over the whole tanking thing and things like that, So I understand that, you know, some people want to don't see the point of trading for J. C. Jackson, But who's out of practice today? And I really like this move. I think that they had to do something to remain competitive on defense, and this move puts it there. And we'll get to that in a second, though, because I don't want to leave Nick on hold for too long. So let's talk a little bit of Saints. Let's let's transition to the Saints, and we got Nick Underhill from NOLA dot Football here on the line. Nick, how's it going, man? Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Hey doing well?
Speaker 2: How you guys doing good? Good? So I think the you know, the first question that I had for you, Nick is actually, you know, I always find it interesting how other teams viewed the Patriots, right, Like, how do you look at the Patriots right now in the state that they're in, and we just, you know, kind of bashed them for the last forty five minutes of our show after Sunday's game. But what is what is like the conversations down in New Orleans right now about this game on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, there's always the Patriots mystique, and I'm sure that's kind of imished a little bit more for people that are closer to the team, but I think from a distance there's still there's still that, you know, there's still the reference for what they are and what they were and who Bill Belichick is and all that stuff. But I mean, look, I mean they're they're kind of in a rough spot on offense, and I mean I think that's acknowledged, But so were the Saints. You know, they're kind of like weirdly parallel right now, where there's just these like totally atrocious offenses. I think the thing that maybe gives the Saints a little bit more hope than probably what the Patriots have is that you look around and there's actually talented players that you assume will eventually get things going a little bit. But you know, I don't think they're taking the Patriots lately at all, even though they're catching them at a time when they're pretty banged up and they just lost their two best players and all that stuff. But I mean, Belichick's still Belichick. Man. That name carries cachet probably further away than it does that right now, but it's definitely still there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wanted to ask you about the offense too, because you just said I think the one difference as I've looked at the Saints is that they got Chris Alave. You know, Calvin al Alvin Kamara's coming back or Shahid, right, I am saying I always mess that name up for some reason, but he's an explosive player, and Michael Thomas is back. Like That's the one thing that you could say about New Orleans to me is that they do have some weapons down there. And what's been the problem with the offense though, because here in New England obviously it's not quite that you can't really sit here and say, well, they could get it together because they have Chris Alave, you know, if you catch my drift.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I think it's three things. I mean, their their offensive line was was absolutely brutal, the first two maybe three weeks of the season, I think you could say, I mean that they weren't blocking anyone, like they were losing one on ones. They kind of got it together this week, so I think that there's tigns of hope, and you should assume that they're going to eventually get it together because I mean, you go across the board and they got three first round picks started in the second round pick start, and a first round pick on the bench. I mean, they should be good at uh at blocking out. There's just been so much resource spent there. And Doug Maroon's the coach. I mean, he's a former head coach in the league twice. I mean, so they have the players that have the coaching. I think last week we saw a corner turned, and I'm inclined to believe it just based on some of that stuff. You know. The other thing is that I think Derek Carr's kind of underwhelmed a little bit. You know, obviously he's just kind of like a like a league average quarterback, but I think he's probably been a little bit subpar so far. Lack of chemistry, some slow decisions, just not really what you expected to see. To start the season, and then the last thing is is and look, I'm not someone that ever comes after coaching really like I just never really feel comfortable doing it. It's it's always feels like like a half day criticism. But their play calling I think has been legitimately atrocious to the point like where you can see stuff happening in real time and just kind of you're scratching your head at the things they're doing, just in terms of like how they're attacking certain coverages, how they're using their personnel. Like it's just there's a lot of nonsensical things happening right now. I did an interview with Alvin Kamara yesterday. He didn't like directly call it out, but if you read between the lines, like it was seven minutes of saying like, hey, like we got to be better at play calling. So it's definitely a thing that they're looking at. Dennis Allen spoke on it this week that that, you know, Pete Carmichael Junior needs to do a better job beyondsive coordinator. So I mean, it's it's definitely not coming together as expected, but you know, as you said, I think the players are there for it to eventually turn around. It should turn around, and if it doesn't, I mean, I really do think this is a situation where, you know, if it's if it's the same, they play the Patriots this week, Houston next week. If you don't see improvement over the next two weeks, you know, I could see a change occurrent here.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 1: I got to ask you about Derek Carr, and I know you know how tough it can sometimes be to follow the storylines of other teams when you're trying to cover a game. So last week, so first of all, so Derek Carr sprained the AC joint his right children. This is like the same injury that you know Jimmy Garoppolo quarterbacks have missed time with right Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's frayed the ac joint. He didn't practice like the whole week last week, came back on Friday through, looked okay, went in the game, and I mean there were a couple of throws where I thought he definitely looked like he was injured a little bit. I mean, he tried to go down the field to Alave once underthrew him, tried to go down to Alave again, under throw them again, like they were just like a handful of things they were trying to attack to the flats. It was really really ugly. I mean that their top two tight ends were out of the game, and when you're trying to run screens behind Jimmy Graham, I mean, it's just probably not gonna work. So I mean that that's kind of where they were at with it, and it was just kind of a really ugly looking game. You know, he's looked okay this week in practice, we're we see like it slightly more than you guys do out of these sessions. Like we see like the first fifteen minutes you see routes on air and then like there's there's sometimes like a little bit of like a red zone period that you get to see, so like there's a little bit more of a sampling, and he's looked okay. You know, I think he's gonna be He's gonna start obviously this week. You know, I do think it is it is an issue though, like it but they're shooting it up and he's playing through it. And you know, he did throw a ball like fifty yards through the air last week. Again it was a little under thrown, but like he's not super limited that he is a little bit limited.
Speaker 1: So and just to kind of tighten that, you just talked about the play calling, Like I'm looking at it. Twenty three pass completions for one hundred and twenty seven yards, right, you just said he could throw a ball down the field. But is this something you believe that to any extent they have to call around right now?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just the last game was crazy. He threw thirty seven passes an average three point four yards a completion. Like I've never seen anything like that in like my entire it was. It was unbelievable to watch. It was just look, I mean it's a little bit like I think they got a coach around it a little bit to an extent. But I mean there's just also things like if you go break down this film, like you want to rip out your hair a little bit, like they're doing things like there's just nothing over the middle like at all, Like they're just like attacking to the outside, like you're going against like cover two middle of the fields open. There's there's not even routes like going up the middle of the field, Like you aren't even bluffing how you should be attacking some of these coverages, like you know, cover three, Like there's that hole behind the linebacker in the safety, like you should have people running routes through there, Like there's no routes going through there. So it's it's play calling, and I think cars just not executed well. Like he's been terrible in the red zone, which is which has been you know, kind of the story of his whole career. That was the thing coming out of Vegas that that you know, he just wasn't good in the red zone. I think there are three for twelve this year in the red zone. It's not been good. You know. Some of the throws down there have been like a little bit panicky. Sometimes he's holding the ball a little bit too long. On the play he got injured on, I think he was like trusting his blocking maybe, so I don't totally fault him, but if you go back and look at it, it's like, damn, you could have got rid of that ball and maybe avoided a hit. Uh. You know. So there's just a few things where where it's just sometimes a little bit slow, sometimes a little bit of a lack of chemistry. But I don't think they're doing enough to help them, Like with the play call, and I mean there's the spacing on some of their their routes, like they just it doesn't make sense. It's sloppy. You got people ended up in the same place on the field. There was an incompletion at the end of the Green Bay game. Jamis was a quarterback, but you have Chris A. Love and Mike Thomas ended up in the exact same spot. And like, these are things that that we used to see, like Sean Payton just like hammering them to the point that it was like ridiculous about just the proper spacing on splits, Like he would respit like reset somebody like and tell them to move over six inches. And he was right though, Like it's what needed to happen for the play to work right, for the time to work right, for everybody done up in the right places. And like, I just think like some of those like super hard details have gone to the wayside a little bit, you know, with Carmenical taken over and it's it's a little bit of it's just kind of like a little bit of everything underwhelming. But I think all it takes is one week and it could click. But the thing with Carmichael is last year it was underwhelming. This year it's underwhelming. Like you're just kind of starting to get to the point where it's like maybe this is just who he is and it's not going to get significantly better.
Speaker 2: That sounds kind of familiar. Yeah, the spacing and things like that was definitely eerily similar. I was like, that's, you know, that's how the Patriots were for twenty years, and that hasn't been how it's been for you know, two or three now. I want to move over to the defense, though, because that is for both teams, really the strength of their team. I wanted to talk about the secondary in New Orleans though. You know, obviously we know Lattimore, we know Honey Badger, Tyron Matthew, but some of these other guys like Isaac Gideam and some of these other players are starting to step up for them and they've been a really good pass defense. What have you seen from those guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so A Lottimore has been I think he's probably playing the best he's played in his career. Mike Evans got him place last week, so I mean that's usually a matchup to a Lottimore wins. He he definitely lost that one. And then Evans got hurt. But he's been really good. He's proud, like the thak with Latimer is like throughout his career, like he hasn't been like a good practicer. He wasn't serious of practice. I don't think, you know. And that's changed over the last couple of years. There's a maturation to his game and he looks really really good so far this year. And Tyron Matthew I think is playing better this year than he did last year as well, Like coming into the season last year that he had something going on in his personal life. He left her in camp, he came back. It just kind of took it a little while to settle in and get going, build chemistry and all that. Once it clicked, it clicked though, and he was good the second half of the year. But he's looked really good to start the season. The other stafety Marcus May he's serving a suspension. He'll be out this week. His backup Jordan Howden, was out last week. That's a rookie fits round pack. He's been pretty solid. He should be back this week, but he's playing through yet hand surgery, so his hand will probably be club so I don't know. Turnover potential is probably pretty low at that spot. The other qurnerback you mentioned Aasak Yeadham. He started the last two weeks. There was an injury to Pulsing a Deevo Pussing and Debos should be back and playing in that spot. The atom has been awesome, so it's gonna be interesting to see. Like Devo's a very physical corner, but he can definitely be exploited. Uh, he likes to He's kind of like gravy. There's a lot of p I penalties, so that that's you know, something that that could potentially be exploited. Double moves is something that I would run a lot about him. And then the guy in the slot, Alante Taylor. So much energy, so much passion, tons of talent, tons of upside, unbelievable athleticism, plays out of control sometimes and you know sometimes in the run game there's there's mistackles. He's new to the slot this year, definitely still learning it. And you know there's ups and there's downs. When he flashes like he flashes like nobody else, and when he gets beat, he gets beat like nobody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and two other just you know more veteran guys on that defense. First of all, I'm glad that Tomrio Davis is finally starting to get some national attention as one of the time linebackers in the NFL. He's the type of guy that I think could really ruin this game for the Patriots the way you know, how aggressive he is and things like that. You know, what is what has been, you know, the key to his ascension though, to getting on more of like a national stage, if you will.
Speaker 3: It's surprising me that people are just kind of paying attention to him. And it's funny. He was like, I think a second team All Pro and had never made the Pro Bowl yet because like fans just never heard about it. I don't understand it. He's been incredible though, and you know, it's funny that people are catching up to him now because like he was, he was probably better two years ago. Like he's just he he had this like back half of his career here that was just it's just been unbelievable. And you know, he's getting a little bit older, but he's just so smart and so anticipatory that it doesn't it doesn't matter. Like he's seems like he's still improving a little bit like in that aspect. But he's he's just great at everything. He's incredibly sound. He's he's solid and coverage, they can use him as a blitzer. They like to use them as blitzer. He's really good at that. He's just he's just such a cerebral player. And you know, he's he's the guy calling stuff out before it happens all the time. Like he's just he's he's just really really good, really really sound. You don't really see him make too many mistakes. He missed the tackle against Green Bay, but I mean it's like one mistake that that, you know, the whole season. He's just such a good player, and yeah, he deserves all the recognition. It's it's too bad, man, Like if he was a few years younger, Like he's someone that could potentially have like a Hall of Fame case, but he just got off to such a slow start with the Jets, and it took him a little while to kind of like he's talked a lot about like like how how he had to learn out of the study and all this stuff, and like once he finally figured it all out, like he became like a truly truly incredible player, one of the best linebackers in the league, no doubt.
Speaker 2: So it's funny.
Speaker 1: I actually wanted to ask you about another linebacker. Pete Warner was a guy me and Evan both really liked coming out of the draft a couple of years ago. And it seems like he's kind of started to hit his stride this year. What have you seen from him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, another one. Really good, really good, Like his range is awesome. Me, he's really good in coverage. He kind of makes every single tackle. He's just he's all over the place. Not not like a flashy player, but just kind of, you know, very like you know, you'll look up and all of a sudden he has, you know, twelve tackles in the game. It's like, damn, Like he's just he's just really really good, really sounds, you know, And yeah, I think he keeps getting better. And he's someone too that that's starting to be us a little bit more. As a blitzer. They'd like to use their linebackers like in these blitz packages a lot. Like on third downs, they played three down defensive lineman and they go to their dime package and they send the fourth Usually it's usually a linebacker you don't know where it's coming from. Though, Kayden ellis they got it that went to Atlanta last offseason, was kind of the primary blitzer last year, so like Werner and Davis has been sparingly using it a little bit this year. But that that's something that I expect to see ramp up a little bit and Werner's Werner's been getting a little bit more action in those types of looks too.
Speaker 1: All right, one moreph you, nick I got I gotta get a special teams question in here. Rashid shi Heat's been you mentioned him on, but he's been one of the best returners in football already, has to punt this year. We've seen the Patriots special team struggle at times this year, like where's the threat with him? And is he a guy that they could make an impact in that area this week?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, every time he gets the ball. I mean, he's definitely a threat. I mean he's just great vision, just just sees the field really well and incredibly explosive gets down the field. I'm surprised to hear that's Patriots special teams are struggling because that's usually like the calling card for them. But yeah, she is, she has been. He's a great returner, definitely a threat every single time. I try to keep the ball away from him if I could. You know, it's funny because like the Saints are one of those teams too, like Patriots that put a lot in special teams. They got J. C. Gray the gunner. He's kind of Verry Slater ish, like a difference maker the Patriot or the Saints. Hunter has been pretty bad. There's not a lot of consistency there, so that that's something that if the Patriots need to get right, they might have an opportunity there at some point. But yeah, he's definitely something that can break.
Speaker 2: The game open, all right, Nick, So last one, I promise that just what is your pick in this game? And like, if you're the Patriots, I would say, is a better question to phrase this? How would you attack this this Saints defense in particular, I think the offense against the Patriots defense doesn't worries fans as much up here as going against that Saints defense. How would you attack the Saints defense if you were the Patriots.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, my pick, my only pick that I feel good about is the under forty points. I mean, I don't know if these teams are going to score twenty points. It might be a race to seventeen. If I had to pick one team, I hate to make the Homer pick here, but I mean I would probably go with the Saints just because I think they have a little bit more offensive talent and it's just kind of like maybe maybe last week was a wake up call, you know, attacking this defense. They're down to safety, you know. I would try to get vertical on whatever side of the field Jordan Howden's on and just kind of see where that's at. I would attack the slot because, like I said, I think Alante Taylor is someone that can be you know, he he gave up like ten catches a couple of weeks ago, I think against Carolina. So that's that's one place i'd try to go with it. I'd run double move to the debo and eventually you're gonna get a key I down the field and get a free play. Like so, there's just a handful of things that I think you can do against their secondary and just try to try to see where the soft spots are. The one thing I definitely wouldn't do is throw the ball at a lot of more. It's just tough, but look, they're gonna disguise their coverages. So I mean Mac needs to be you know, I I've only looked a little bit. It seems like he's had some trouble with teams that do that well. And that's one of the things that that this defense does really really well. They'll hold their look until the very last second and they'll make you know, they'll give you a quarters look and it'll turn into cover three and you know, if you aren't reading that like through the snap like you're gonna make a mistake. So they just need to be very very aware of what their safeties are doing and what coverage is there.
Speaker 2: And absolutely awesome and I guess we'll see you on Sunday. Yeah, yes, sir, well awesome. Thanks next, safe travels. Thanks for calling in. I think you too. So yeah, I think that's a great point about what he brings up. And as we kind of segue here a little bit and more more of the Saints about Dennis Allen's defense, you know, watching them against the Bucks and uh this season so far, you got to look at you know, their their stats of like coverages that they use and and rushes that they they they throw the kitchen sink at a quarterback right like there, they spend the dial, they play one high two high man zone, they play a lot of a lot of man to man coverage, which we know the Patriots have had trouble with. And then their third down package is very patriot like. Well they'll put you know, five six guys up on the line of scrimmage and they only send four, but you don't know which four are coming, so you have to decipher all of that post snap. That's a great point by by Nick there about that's that's some of the stuff that I just laid out, you know, the disguising, the pressure man to man like that, that's the kryptonite for the Patriots offense so far. So the under as he as he said, is is a good pick here. Let's let's clear some of these phone calls out and a lot of people have been waiting on hold for a long time, and we appreciate that, and then we'll we'll get into some of the other things we wanted to discuss. But Christian is in start with Patty actually has been on hold longer. What's up, Patty?
Speaker 5: If you're still there, Hey, you guys will see me on Sunday too. I'll be at the stadium like that. Oh right, they You know what, though, I don't know what to expect.
Speaker 3: I really don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I bet, I bet the delete stadiums are not the left. But I've been to fox for us in the game seven of these times, guys in my life, and the only time they've ever lost was back in ninety five when they played the Brontos. And know anything about John Elway, he never lost the paper or for the Bengals in his career. And you know, part of me likes to think that I'd like to keep micro Buck Street going, you know, just selfishly and egoistically. But part of me thinks that, like, damn, maybe with all this, you know, with all of our cornerbacks hurt. I know, we just picked up JC, But like all the top of the run guys out of this game and all the potential firepower that the Saints have, I might, I might see another thirty seven to three games. Because that was the final score to that Broncos game. I hope that I do have a little bit of faith that Matt's going to pull his head out of his rear end and hopefully play a decent game.
Speaker 3: Hopefully play with instructure.
Speaker 4: But I'll tell you what the defense I'm with the lot to dot on with obviously the Dallas and the other two Vielins is not being on the field.
Speaker 3: It really worries me.
Speaker 4: Guys, give me some hope, Alex, give me some hope.
Speaker 2: Baby, Thanks for the call. Patty is always and have fun at the game, I hopefully. I don't think the Patriots are gonna lose this game and a blowout. But I thought what Nick also said about that this Saints offense, I think it's different from the Patriots offense, even though they're their production is very similar and that being not good. I think the difference is is that the Saints have some pieces offensively, they just haven't really pointed to all the pieces in the right direction. And Derek Carr, I think it's Brady made it look so easy that you know, some people forget Derek Carr was in Vegas, I guess now, but with the Raiders for like a decade and then he has to come to a completely new system, a completely new area, like move coast to coast and like there's a transition period there. But when you look at the Saints roster offensively, they have some first round picks on their offensive line. They have Chris Olava on the outside, who's a great receiver and still is playing well, even though the Saints offense as a whole isn't. Alvin Kamara is back now after his suspension. There's just there's more pieces on that side of the ball. So my fear of this game is that is that the Saints are going to finally figure it out a little bit offensively and they're going to get some things rolling on that side of the ball. And I don't think the Patriots, even against New Orleans, they don't have the firepower that New Orleans has. If this ends up being a game that does get into let's say the twenties versus a game that we're all picking, which would be like a rock fight in the teams, right. I think with car too, there's the thing about his shoulder, Like you mentioned that he's got to come in, he's got to learn new offense, and now he's struggling to throw the ball. He can't throw the ball deep, which is something they probably wanted to do. Yeah, So yeah, he actually is a most of his career, he's been a pretty good deep ball thrower. Yeah, like that's not you know, he doesn't have this big cannon in terms of like driving the ball into tight windows. At the intermediate level, I've never really thought of him as like a great anticipatory passer over the middle of the field. But deep balls, he's usually been pretty good at that. And h and yeah, I guess at that shoulder. He's zero for five on deep passes last last week.
Speaker 1: So that that's what I'm interested in with this game, is just that. Because Bill even said earlier this week, like, yeah, you know, good deep ball team, you got to be ready for it. Yeah, is that something they can do? I I would you have a quarterback with a with a bad shoulder injury. Most guys don't play through. I would make him put as much as he can on every pass. And like like Nick said, he's trying to throw the ball deep to chrys Olave last week, he goes fifty yards but it comes up short.
Speaker 2: That's that J C.
Speaker 1: Jackson's you know here in Bells, when he hears that, that's his play.
Speaker 2: So the underthrown deep ball interception, right, let's.
Speaker 1: Well, because he's good at as he can recognize. For let's get the guy with the bad throwing shoulder to throw the ball deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that that's definitely what the Bucks tried to do. The Bucks played a lot. They played eighty four percent of their downs in zone coverage, and like sixty percent of it was split safety zone. So they just absolutely begged Derek Carr to throw it deep into their two deep zones. And he tried a couple of times and failed, and the rest of the game was all checkdowns. Right, he threw like a I think it was a record like fourteen passes behind the line of scrimmage or something like that.
Speaker 1: It's a wit Nick was saying, it's a weird game if you look at the breakdown of But I also.
Speaker 2: Don't think that that was necessarily because the Raiders were calling a bunch of screens because Derek Carr couldn't throw the ball because of his shoulder. I think that that's just what was open from the Bucks perspective, and the Bucks were just trying to get him to check it down, and he was taking the check downs and taking the check downs, and the Bucks did a good job of rallying to the football. This is a you know, you mentioned Shaheed Chris Olave, like, those guys can get up the field. They can get up the field and create on vertical routes and create opportunities to throw the ball deep. And the Bucks just they played soft zone, they played off coverage, they played two deep shells, and they just said the only way that you're beating us is if you matriculate down the field. And that's I mean, that's football nowadays in general, like that's how everybody's playing it. But I thought that was very telling from Tampa Bay. All right, Christian is in La. What's up? Christian?
Speaker 3: Hey, you guys.
Speaker 6: You two things And I kind of part the little bit on the LST Show, but I know you guys have to really go quickly on the of the shows that you can't really.
Speaker 3: Take it too. But I just wanted to touch on it again. And did I have a Mac Jones something that I saw in Mac.
Speaker 6: Jones that I would like to point out to see if you guys see it too or don't see it. First things first, and thanks for taking my call, guys. I appreciate the show and love love talking to you guys.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right on, So first things first, I say this as being sort of a five win team, and that's sort of to me the high market if we don't have our defense anymore and just the offense just really is trying to figure yourself out in this league, trying to figure yourself out means you're not gonna win very many games. You may get it together for a couple of games and see some bright spots and what could be coming up, but you're not gonna win very many games. So for me, we're going into the next into this draft like top seven, right, top ten pick, we already have that that that why can't we and mostly you get a second round pick at some point in second round, why couldn't we take our third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh round pick and package them to like a team like San Francisco that's not going to be trying to really build an impact player next draft. They're looking for more depth and stuff like that, and wind up with a great first rounder, someone maybe in the bottom of the first round that we'd get from five picks from something else, and a good second round of three impact players to change the culture, change the team really quickly. Could you kind of dig into this philosophy of that, But then the thing about mac Jones is and I know it's not fair to compare anything to Tom Brady at all, so I'm not really doing that, but it seemed like Brady had this sort of succession of football intelligence where the first quarter he would throw some things out there and sort of try something. The second quarter he would see how those things are really affecting and working the defense. The third quarter he would know what the defense is going to do, and then the first quarter he would light you up. It doesn't seem like mac Jones has that level of football intelligence to make that progression has the game unfold.
Speaker 3: Thank you, guys, pick up the air. I appreciate you guys so much.
Speaker 2: No problem, Thanks for the call, Christian, We appreciate it. So the draft thing, uh, definitely more of like an offseason deep dive. I was trying to keep that. So basically what he's saying is, why don't you just take your your ten draft picks that you have, Yeah, and consolidated to three, but you're getting three top fifty picks out, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like that?
Speaker 2: That's I think basically the argument.
Speaker 1: Because one one is I think a lot of teams don't just want a bunch of late draft picks because you've got to roster all those guys. And the flip side of it is, to a certain extent, you need a certain number of guys on your roster that are on rookie contracts because if you have to fill too many spots with free agents, it's it's going to kill your cap.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, it's it's not the NBA. You can't do that.
Speaker 1: The NFL draft is much more nuanced. Yeah, look the NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he called in with Pu to PU and we we did have to kind of quickly talk about it because we had to get the picks. We had to hurry, right, But the biggest thing was is you know, yeah, like I love the idea. If the Patriots are picking you know, like to use his example, they're picking seventh, which means they're picking what thirty eight or thirty nine in the second round. If they want to jump back into the first round at the end of the first round instead of picking at the beginning of the second round because they really like a guy on Night one, then I'm all for that. But they're gonna have to trade from future drafts to make right.
Speaker 1: You can't nobody's so he basically wants to trade what three, four, five, six, and seven for a low one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, nobody's gonna do that. That's just Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you could do that, every team would do it. That's pretty much why. The second point, the reason Tom Brady was able to do that is because he had the margin Freerr, because he knew if he got down ten fourteen points early on, yeah, he was good enough to quickly score and he could fall back on what he does best, MACS. Most quarterbacks don't operate within that margin Forrer. Yeah, so that was a uniquely Brady thing. Like Mahomes can do it, Rogers did that a little bit, Peyton did it. That's an elite, elite, elite quarterback kind of thing to I would also sort of just use the first half of the game like a preseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, totally. And I would also just say that like with Brady Brady, it wasn't the cut corners, but like Brady didn't have to worry about every little thing, right, you know, Like Brady didn't have to worry about, Okay, where are my eyes on this play? Where are my footwork on this play? Because all that type of stuff was just innate to him. Like he just it just came to He had done it so many times and he did it at such a high level that it just kind of came to him naturally. Of my footwork, my cadence, my eye, my eyes, where are they where it's my read? Was the intent of this play? Like all the things that Mack was talking about yesterday, right, All that type of stuff was natural to Tom Brady, so he could go to that next level of deciphering defense and deciphering how the game is declaring and how they are they defending us? And how are they defending me and all these type like Dad type of nuance of the game. I don't know if mac has Is necessarily has the k ability to graduate to that, because he's still worried about wearing my feet and wearing my eyes on this play right right, and what are we doing before we even get to the defense. It's like what are we doing first? And then we get to that. Brady knew what we were doing all the time, right, like he had already mastered that piece of the equation. So it's tough. It's tough to then, you know, play the chess match and do all that stuff when you're still not confident in yourself in what you're trying to do. Before we get to the rest of the phone calls, I do want to talk about J C. Jackson before we start to lose people here in the second hour. The Patriots made a trade yesterday, obviously for J C. Jackson, and I also subscribe to a lot of the positivity that's come out about this trade on a money side of things, in a trade, you know, capital side of things, they basically gave up nothing to get him. He was gonna get cut by the Chargers. They basically gave up nothing to get him. And I think watching his film yesterday and as we're you know, when the trade officially gets announced, he was out at practice. I think it actually literally just got announced as I just did it. Yes, so the trade is official now for J C. Jackson. But I think the biggest thing is is when I watched his film against the Chargers, I thought the Chargers fundamentally misunderstood the player and a player that they were getting. And I know you'll you'll jump right on this, Alex, because you hate Brandon Stance. He's a bad coach, so this is right up your alley. I felt like the Chargers thought that they were getting this revous Gilmore lockdown corner right that when they played Miami in Week one, they could just line him up across from Tyree Killer Jalen Waddle and be like, Jac's got got number ten. You know, we're all set there. And that's never been the type of player that j C. Jackson is.
Speaker 3: J C.
Speaker 2: Jackson's a boomer bust corner. He's a ballhawk, He's you know, he's a lot you know for people that I don't know why you wouldn't have watched Jacy Jackson, but you know, it's a lot like in the conversation that we have talked about with Jack Jones, right like, that's the type of corner that he is. He's a boomer bust guy. He's a ballhawk, whatever you want to call it. And when you start to look at the film, I thought that he looks like JC and you look at the coverage stats and last year was a disaster for him. For the five games he played before the knee injury was a disaster. But he was, you know, transitioning to a new scheme, a new coast, all that kind of stuff that I was talking about with Derek Carr. I think applies here this year when you start to look at some of the coverage metrics, his metrics were starting to level back off to what he was closer to twenty twenty one. You know, similar completion rate into his coverage, similar success rate. Had an interception in Miami and then also gave up ninety nine yards, right, like, that's that's j C. Jackson, And I think the doll the Chargers, excuse me, just had this this this belief that they were getting this lockdown number one corner and in reality, the player that he was against Miami ninety nine yards, but an interception, that's all. That's who he's been. When he's elevated to that number one spot, when he was playing behind Stefan Gilmour and and you know those guys, that's a little bit different. But when he was the Patriots pseudo number one corner and what was at twenty one or twenty or twenty one, yeah, twenty one, that that was who he was. And so I think in some ways there there's Dad and you know there's a couple of the plays he gave up against Miami. Gives up a big explosive to Jalen Wattle trying to play him out of the slot, like not his game, right, Like Jan Waller runs a little quick slant on him and gets open and gains like thirty five yards. He gave up an explosive on Ti to Tyreek Hill on one of those motion routes. Everybody gives up explosives to Tyreek Kill on the motion routes. That's why they run the motion routes is because they're impossible to cover. And then he gave up the touchdown over the top to Tyreek Hill where he didn't have safety help, right, Like, how you're not putting State, You're putting him in press man with inside leverage against Tyreek Hill and he doesn't have safety help over the top, what do you expect to happen? He got burned, Like that's exactly what was going to happen. So in a lot of ways, I'm optimistic about this trade helping the Patriots because one, they just needed corners, like they just needed playable corners and running a mere speed and Sean Wade and Miles Brian out there the rest of the season was not an option and they needed to be better than that. So they get a guy that can keep them competitive on defense. They get a guy that they can turn the ball over some on defense. I had two takeaways in the first four games of the year, so maybe he gets some of those. Mister iron, T's right, and I like the player, and you know who he is. You know he's not anything special.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wonder where he's at physically coming off that knee injury. Yeah, And I think he had even said that he wasn't completely healthy.
Speaker 2: Look, they need a corner. They didn't give up much.
Speaker 1: If they want to keep him, they can just restructure his contract and keep him down the road. So if that all makes sense, it's not a negative move. I don't know that he saves everything.
Speaker 2: I don't think that. You know, he's a one for one, So I is he gonna play as well as Hi Gonzalez was playing. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Christian Zola was playing an incredibly high level, and when you also lose Matthew Judahan, it's a big ask for him to come in and basically have the defense pick up where they left off.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 1: We'll see where he's at physically. I have nothing against the move, but I don't know that it's this over the top automatic success that some people are making it out to be. It they were desperate for a corner, and they went out and got one, and it made it easier to facilitate that they knew the guy. I wonder, and there's been some reporting to kind of suggest this if he was gonna end up here one way or the other once he got cut and the injuries just kind of created a situation where they couldn't wait for him to get cut. And I said that, and people pushed back on me, like, oh, no, it's a smart move because if you got cut, he might not have come back here. I don't know how big the market was going to be for him. I also, for a number of reasons, I think he has to look at it and be like, this is the place I belong in. Oh, this is a huge win for him. Yeah you can get where I was massive win for him. Yeah, if I'm him, I'm a static, But you know what, we'll see.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: I'm optimistic, but I'm caustiously optimistic. I don't know that it's I still have my serious concerns about this defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not sitting here saying either that, like season back on because they love j C. Jackson. But I do think that their defense is now going to remain competitive, Like is it gonna be as good as it was going to be? Obviously not, but I think they'll still be competitive.
Speaker 1: On Well, this is where I'm like, because he has a bad knee, Like is he healthy? How much can you count on him to just go out there? And I wonder about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I Also there's this I'm not saying this is a concern. I'm just saying it. You can take it as a positive, you can take it as a negative. This is just an observation I have. Trey Flowers looks like he's gonna be one of the guys that gets activated j C. Jackson's back. Is there a level of them, you know, Bill, where things aren't going well? Just trying to lean on familiarity.
Speaker 2: Above all else. Yeah, I think that that's definitely fair. But I don't critique him for the familiarity in season, okay, because it's really hard to get out. I don't say it's a critique.
Speaker 1: I posed a question like I was talking to somebody earlier today, right like Kyle van Noy signed with the Ravens two weeks ago because they had some injuries. Let's say that doesn't happen. Are we talking about Kyle van Noy here right now? With Matthew Judon going out?
Speaker 2: Like, I just think it's different when you talk about in season because it's so hard to get a guy up and running again.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it is a critique. I'm just saying it is an observation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think that this comes out a lot about Bill in the retreads, but it sometimes bothers me with the retreads when they do it in the off season, Like it's like, do you really need to bring back this guy in the off season when there's other guys available that might be better. But in season you're in a situation where you just need to get guys that can play for you on Sunday. And since JC Jackson knows the system and he knows the defense, if he's healthy, he's going to be active on So it's more for me with that.
Speaker 1: The concern here is you talk about how he plays.
Speaker 2: He has to be explosive.
Speaker 1: He has to be able to, you know, t step plan his foot in the ground, make cuts, make up for lost ground. Yeah, does he have that kind of pop in his lower body coming off that knee injury.
Speaker 2: It's a fair it's a fair wonder, it's a fair ass. Uh, last thing on on JC, and then we'll we'll move on j C. Jonathan Jones, and let's say Miles Brian probably in the slot you could do worse.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that the secondary and twenty twenty one basically it was right because they didn't have Steph that year they traded him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's basically I think in terms of talent level, you're basically in the same spot that you were in twenty one and twenty five.
Speaker 1: So Jeff, how this I think this happened while we were on here, reported that Jack Jones is probably another, you know, two weeks away. I think if you can get about two weeks, I don't want to say that like put words in Jeff's mouth that it's definitive. But let's say, let's see, let's just say Halloween as and I think that was the number the date given when he first went on IR. Mike Reese has reported something along those lines as well. Let's say it's Halloween. If you can get to a point where your corn are Jack Jones and j C. Jackson on the boundary and you move John Jones back into the slot. And I don't know if they will or not, but like, if your top three corners are Jack Jones, John Jones and j C. Jackson, who's going in? Like are they gonna bench one of those three guys from Ales Bryant? Maybe they might bench Jack Jones from Miles Brant. But the point being, like jac Jackson, Jack Jones on the boundary, John Jones on.
Speaker 2: The slot, that's legit. It's not a legit secondary.
Speaker 1: You could do a lot worse and with and like we can get ahead because I see people in the in the chat talking about this, and I've gotten questions about this. You know, next year is it Christian Gonzalez and j C? Is the outside corners?
Speaker 2: Like that? Yeah, that could be really fun. Let's see what.
Speaker 1: Jaz Jackson looks like before we start doing that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, it could be a lot worse. And I think, especially with a coach like Belichick, Like I still give Bill the maximizing the talent on the defensive side of the ball. I still think he does that at a high level. And so I think if you look at how they'll you JC, how they'll use John Jones, Like those guys will be playing to their strengths and playing in roles that they belong in and things like that. And it's basically the secondary talent wise that they had the last two years. Like obviously we were all hoping they were gonna take that next step with Christian Gonzales being that true number one Gilmour type corner. Unfortunately gets hurt. It's a bummer, but I think you at least you know, last year they were still a pretty good defense. Like they weren't a great defense, but they were a good defense, and I think they'll be a good defense still. If JC is ready to go, all right, let's do a three up, three down real quick, and uh, we'll get into this and then we'll take some of these calls and we'll rap with some more on the Saints. So I did a little differently this week because of obvious reasons the result of the game. Yeah, and I have two up in three and four down, so I took I only did two. Let's start with the positives though. Okay, Uh, best player in the game for the Patriots I thought was Detrick Wise. Okay, Dietrich Wise really good this game. Five pressure sack, another TfL on the run game. I thought he was disruptive. I thought he read blocks extremely well. I thought he worked well on the on the games or the stunts up front. I think Dietrich Wise, you know, he's not Matthew Junoni. He's not a game wrecker. He's not a Tuesday player, as we like to call him. But he's a guy that I think teams know of and is starting to get a little bit of a positive reputation around the league in terms of being someone you gotta worry about. He's a really well rounded player all of a sudden, you know, I think he's one of those rare guys that comes in and in like year six or year seven of his NFL career kind of takes that next step to being extremely well rounded. And he's much more violent with his hands in the run game and getting off blocks, and his block anticipation has really improved, and his leveraging has really improved. I've been impressed with him all year, but I thought this game he was particularly really well, really good. Excuse me, yeah, I'll go.
Speaker 1: I'll go with Hunter Henry. I know he didn't love his game, his blocking, but he keeps making catches.
Speaker 2: And he's the only guy that makes good like one handed little bit like I'll say that catches, I guess is the way to say.
Speaker 1: We kind of talked about the compete level in that game, right, Hunter Henry showed up and in a game like that, guy showing up to me gets him on the uplist. You're entering this really interesting spot with Hunter Henry because if they again I said the thing before, I don't believe they're gonna fall on tank, but if they end up on a spot where they're sellers at the deadline, which I don't think they will be, but let's say they get there, Yeah, you're gonna be able to get something for Hunter Henry. Yeah, because he keeps making plays. And honestly, the Cowboys are a team I look at they're like, can you get a third round pick, maybe second round pick with a pick slot for Hunter Henry?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And and I know you hate to hear this because you know he's one of one of your guys. Yeah, Kendrick Porn, Kendrick Porn, Yeah, Kendrick Poorn too, But I Kendrick Porne to me is gonna be the guy that if they're truly out of it at the deadline, you know, yeah, three and eight or something, whatever the deadline is in terms of records.
Speaker 1: Well, look, his one, his contracts up at the end of the year. He's not coming back. I would love to see him go somewhere and win. You know how I feel about Kendrick Bourne if gets it. You know, I've come to terms with the fact that he won't be a Patriot next year when we're the other right, But Hunter Henry and Cowboys need a tight end. And again I think you get something for him. You want me to give my second up, yep. Miles Bryant, all right, you're gonna a lot of people are gonna roll their eyes on this. And by the way, I see people saying in the chat getting annoyed at me for saying Bill Belichick might bench Jack Jones from Miles Bryant. He did that last year. So there's history of that. That that the CD Lamb touchdown. That's just such a bad Again, it's not like there's a ton of ops to choose from in this game, right Evan, And it's a bad spot for him. It's just a bad He shouldn't be out there. This goes to my whole point about Miles Bryant. Miles Bryant's a solid rotational football player if you use him correctly, having him one on one, ceedee Lamb on the outside.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I look at the two fumblesy forced, and he made some competitive tackles stepping up the line of screwmage.
Speaker 2: She continues to do.
Speaker 1: There's sort of slim pickings. You only picked two ups.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna get on you. I'm not yelling at so. He yelled at me a little bit for it yesterday.
Speaker 1: But it's slim pickings. There were some isolated players, and I was like, all right again, it's that thing.
Speaker 2: He showed up.
Speaker 1: I thought, at the very least, Miles Bryant showed up in a game like that. There aren't that many guys you can say that about.
Speaker 2: All Right, my second up, and then we're gonna go. Do you have three? I I do have three. Okay, you're you're nicer than me. Okay, well one of them is it's literally just one place. Second was good in this game. Uh made four stops against the run, three pressures and on the quarterback. I I understand that there's like a bigger philosophical problem with Jelani Tevai in terms of like Bill likes that type of guy because he just does his job. It's like it's the usage thing. Yeah, I get that, But I actually think that Jelanie Deviz turned into a pretty solid player for them, and I think that he's gonna play a lot now that Judon's not here. So just just prepare yourself for the fact that forty eight is going to be out there a ton on this defense. I'm not saying that he should be over Keon White, don't get on me, but I'm just telling you that in this game, this was probably one of the better games I saw Jelye Tevi play. He was really he was disruptive in this game, beat a couple really really well done in terms of shedding blocks in the run game. In this game, deflected a pass that he almost picked off at the line of scrimmage, got the sack on the goal line where he was unblocked, but he made the play. So I was impressed by Tavai in this game, and he was already playing a lot before Judon got hurt. He had a sixty six percent snap usage. I think in the first four games of the season, so he has his own role. Like this isn't like Julyn Devia is replacing Matthew Judon and he wasn't playing before. This just means that Julya DEVIAI is going to play a little bit more on the edge. I would say the defense versus off the ball. But I thought he was really good in this game. So that those are my two. I gave him both on the defense because the offense is deserved anything. I don't know why, Jeannie to Van Dietrich quiet, I don't know. I didn't pick any any defensive ones because it's just.
Speaker 1: The whole recap of the game. I'm just focused on the offense and what happened. My third one was to Mario Douglas. I, yeah, he wasn't good on the punt returns, but that that move was awesome up the sideline, that kind of cut and spin.
Speaker 2: Two dynamic for the Patriots. Yeah, for that move, he's on the lip he does.
Speaker 1: I think you were actually the one who tweeted about him on the punt returns, and he needs to do a better job getting up field. So credit to you for talking about special teams.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you were spot on. Can't be moving laterally, you gotta just start getting.
Speaker 2: Up the field. But it's something that Troy Brown has always said to us when we talked to him, is like the key of being a good punt returner is getting vertical on. You gotta be aggressive. You got to take it to him. Yeah. I would just say with Douglas, we mentioned head on the Saints a couple of times. He's he's a little bit bigger than Douglas is. He's like six feet onet eighty. Obviously Douglas is not that tall, but there that's the type of player if she has a big game on Sunday for New Orleans, Like, that's what you, as a Patriots fan hope that Pop Douglas is going to become like he's one of those just jitterbug, game breaking, bursty guys. All right, let's get let's get to the DUTs. Yeah, this is uh, this is gonna be fun. All right, So we have four duds for me. Okay, four, I'm gonna guess we have a lot of overlap. Number one is Mac Jones. I mean Mac Jones gotta be number one. I mentioned a lot about it already, So I'm not gonna like continue to beat the dead horse about the footwork and the decision making. All of it was bad. Second quarter, all of it was bad. I think the biggest thing with Mac in terms of getting him back on track, Uh, they need to get him back to obviously playing within himself and playing within the system and then and then taking some of the layups. Like so the things that irked me the most about this game from Mac was like some of the crossers to Devonte Parker that he missed, Like just these shallows, right, these shallow crossers over the middle of the field, and it's like throw it, throw it, throw it, throw it, throw it, sack or throw it, throw it, throw it, throw it late almost intercepted, right, Like those are the types of throws that like he's got to make. You know a lot of people have been talking about the Kasiki one in the end zone. Devonte Parker is the read on that play. Devonte Parker is wide open, like five yards in front over the ball, you know, running a little shallow drag over the ball in Mac Jones. All Mac Jones got to do is put it on him and he's just gonna turn off field and walk into the end zone right, and he doesn't completely skips the read, just doesn't see it, just completely ignores it. They he's got to do much better job of seeing the fields, like all the footwork stuff, the decision making stuff. I'm willing to bet that it will be better than that on Sunday with the Saints. But the reads and seeing the field and stuff that's not Mac like Mac usually sees the field pretty well. It was disaster. It was bad. Yeah, he wasn't good. He was bad. He was bad in this game. He was bad.
Speaker 1: And there was no oh, well, you know this part of his game was fine, or that part of his game was fine.
Speaker 2: The complete thing.
Speaker 1: After the first drive, the complete thing fell apart. So I had him as my number one down, all.
Speaker 2: Right, number two down. And this is a speaks to what we're talking about the offensive line beginning of the show. Vaderian low like Vadarian Lowe is not an NFL tackle. I'm sorry. He started three games this year. He has given up twenty two pressures? Is it that many? In three games? He's given up seventeen over the last two games, seventeen. It's a lot at right tackle. Eight last week nine this week, it's no contest, right like, especially if you're going up against a good edge rusher like Micah Parsons. I'll give a Darian Low this. He gets his hands on you, initially, he just can't stay with it, right like, once he okay, I'll get my punch, I'll get my hands on you. But as soon as you start running the arc, I'm like, you're you're past me, right and that it just it's not it's not sustainable, it's not playable. They gotta do something at right tackle, like it's it's it's Vaderian. Low's not the answer. They got to do something at right tackle. Whether it's Riley Reeve win City, so even like getting an opportunity out there, I don't know, but like they have to look elsewhere right tackle. He has been a disaster.
Speaker 1: So I just had the entire offensive line. Yeah, and it's yeah, so is probably the worst Low Low is probably worst of all them. But they in the run game in the past game, it didn't matter. They couldn't get a freaking push. And I know that Dallas front is good, but I mean, was there one snap where they won off the ball. They're few and far between, if any. And again, the inability to move the ball in short yard situations, things like that has to be better, has to be better the entire group. We've picked on their offensive line a lot this year. I think that wasn't well. I was gonna say, like, it's not that they've played a bunch of great games. I think that was their worst game of the year.
Speaker 2: And I don't think it was close.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the right side, especially my set, and it's it's not sorry, And it's not even like you can say, oh, you know, they played a good front in Dallas, so of course it was their worst game. They played Philly in Miami. In the Jets, they've played four good fronts.
Speaker 2: Dallas might.
Speaker 1: Dallas might be the worst front day faced. It's not in the top half because Philly's better and the Jets are better. Yeah, them in Miami can nit pick that. But this was, pound for pound, one of their easier games of the year, and it was their worst performance of the year.
Speaker 2: So I had Mike on win Who as as my second down or third down. I guess I had so many of them Mike on win Who in this game. First of all, the penalties obviously are killer yea, three penalties. Any offensive lineman gets called for three penalties, you're going to be on the down list. But I also just think that he doesn't look right coming off the ball. You know Mike on Wen who is a people moving guard and he come usually comes off the ball with aggression, with a mentality. I just haven't really seen that at all from him. I thought he was okay in pass pro for the most part, but in the run game, they need him to be a much bigger impact, Like he needs to be an impact blocker for them in the run game, and he just really hasn't been consistently. I don't know if it's the ankle. I don't know if it's the lack of training camp and this is basically his training camp and he's trying to ramp it up in season or whatever. But going into the year like that, that's your guy, right, Like, that's the guy that you can you're saying is your best offensive lineman. He has not played like that and he needs to play better.
Speaker 1: Think do you think there's any element of there's too much on his plate because of what's happening at right tackle and maybe he's starting to push it in overcompensate a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, and that's I think an even bigger reason why they need to move on from Vederian Low and try some other people there. You know, it was put out today by I think Jordan Schultz had the report about Layol Collins being he's healthy and clear to physical independent physical. Obviously it's from the ACL and the MCL. Like the fact that Leon Collins is not online one right now is shocking to me. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: I don't think Leo Collins is the ultimate fix.
Speaker 2: Everybody thinks he's thirty years old. He just shredded his knees. He's got to be better than this. He's got to be better.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying he's not worth a flyer, but it wouldn't surprise me if in three weeks we're saying, all right, they tried Layo Collins, he didn't work.
Speaker 2: Now what he's got to be better when they have, and maybe even Riley Reef is better than what they have.
Speaker 1: So Riley, I think they're gonna try Riley ree first before Collins.
Speaker 2: That's fair, all right? What do you got how many interre we We're three, all right?
Speaker 1: So I had mac Jones I said, the offensive line, okay, the offensive coaching staff. That team was not ready schematically, that team was not ready emotionally. H the in game decisions I already kind of went on about that about the short yarded situation in the first half were bad.
Speaker 2: It was it was just all bad. It was all bad.
Speaker 1: It was a team that did not look prepared from a coaching point of view, and you got to look at the coaches and say, what exactly was the plan this week? I had Bill Bellich and so sorry, I wanted to add one more thing to that. Again, I think they should have run the ball traditionally more and I think we both agree on that. And then there was that court Sunday morning from Ian rapport that Zeke was going to get starter type reps and all that. He touched the ball nine times and most of those are when the game was out of reach. Again, third and one in the red zone. This is Zeke's game, it's his homecoming. You don't think he's a little extra jacked up. You can't give them the ball on an HB dive like what they should have come in. The Cardinals ran. The Cardinals ran for two hundred and twenty two yards on the Cowboys a week before, and there was zero interest in getting under center and just plowing ahead with the football. Why why why? And I know you you kind of explained before. You can't traditionally run on the Boys because they do this, you know what, I think at a cert as much as we like to talk about the breakdown between the two teams, I think there is something to be said, you know, not for the entire game, but there's something to be said for you know what, for get what they do.
Speaker 2: We do this, well, so we're going to try to do it. But the problem is in the run game right now is what do they do well? Well, they don't pass the ball? Well, no, But I'm not talking about the offense as a hole because there are things in the passing game that I could point to and say, you know, these couple of O'Brien's staple contracts. They would say, well, the player, I would say, ran, Well, they can't.
Speaker 1: You can't be so afraid of it to the fact that you don't even try it, Okay, and maybe it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: And you brought this up in the beginning of the show. Yeah, and we only have twenty minutes left. So this is probably a much bigger topic to unpack. But I had somebody reach out to me that I don't want to I don't know if he wants this out there, so I'm not going to use his name. It's not anybody like in the organization of Alabama. It's just somebody that covers Alabama football. And he kind of said, like, this is what you see, Like this is what I was trying to tell you as somebody who watched Alabama football last year. He doesn't run the ball, you know, he doesn't traditionally run the football. And I said that I thought that he would up here when they hired Bill O'Brien. I thought that he would because Bill would make him like Big Bill, not Bill O'Brien, like Bill Belichick would make him. And uh, and that hasn't necessarily been the case, you know. They they've they kind of use like the bad starts as an excuse, like, all we were playing from behind and we had to throw our way back in. You get down by two touchdowns, you don't just completely abandon Also, but also this game, even if you want, even if that is their philosophy that if we're down two scores, we're not gonna We're not gonna run the ball, even if that is their philosophy, it is I forget was it three nothing or nothing nothing on that third and one? I think it was three nothing, three nothing, three nothing, So Cowboys already kick a field goal. It's three nothing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You should not be abandoning the rundown three nothing in the fourth quarter. You should not a half to ten to three yeah, in the second quarter. That is not a spot where you're giving up on the run game. This was not oh we were too far behind so we couldn't run the ball.
Speaker 2: That's not what this was. It's fair. And do you want to do.
Speaker 1: Saints key matchups or we're not gonna have time. I think we're gonna have time, okay, because there's a number moving forwards that I want to bring up in relation to this. We can do what we talked about this, okay, So really quickly, I had Bill Belichick on my down list, So I think it's along the same lines. I agree with you wholeheardly about some of the play calling. Offensively, one last thing about the play calling. They only called two screens two screen passes the entire game against the front that was eating their offensive line alive, Like you would think that trying to you know, get invite Parsons and those guys to come up front and you'll come downhill and then maybe just pop a screen over their heads to Mandre or Zeke would have worked like maybe once, Like I'm not saying it's gonna work a ton, but like maybe you hit one play like they did against Philadelphia, right like they hit that one screen. So I was shocked about the lack of screen passes in this game. Just really quickly on Bill.
Speaker 2: This to me is is a running theme with Bill that is getting me maybe even as as much concerned about it as the the personnel stuff that we talk about with Build a GM yep, build a game planner, and build the game coach like the week coach the game coach. And when it say week I mean like the week of the game. Are we sure that he's still got the fastball on that too? Are we sure? I tried telling you this after week one because week run I thought he coached. They coached well against Philly, especially defensively, they were they were really buttoned up on all the quarterback run stuff, the r R PO game, like all they had that buttoned up. But at the same time, they had all off season to plan that that.
Speaker 1: Game plan and the end game coaching in that game was not good, right, But the game planning, Like, that's what I'm more concerned about, because that's real, right, Like, that's you, that's the chess master behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Is the game planning stuff. That's what we were. Best game planner nobody you'd rather have. He has now gotten out coached in two of the last three weeks. He got out coached by Mike McDaniel. Mike McDaniel really out coached him in that game, and then he got really out coached by Mike McCarthy and Dan Quinn on Sunday, but especially McCarthy. Yeah, you know, McCarthy came out and I don't think that they were ready for Dak to sling it like that. You know, Dak and the gun, three eleven personnel, three wide receivers, spread the field, where's twenty six, where's twenty seven on the defense, like that we're attacking these guys. I think they thought that like I thought, and I hand up like I thought the same thing. I thought that the Cowboys are going to put the ball under center. They were going to run the football like they always do. I thought that too. They didn't. They came out throwing eighteen passes in the first four drives of this game from Dallas. They went right down the field on the opening drive on six passes, right like, just Dak and the gun spread the field, throw the football, and the Patriots had no answers for it. I think people, the offense is clearly the issue with this team right now, so I'm not trying to point fingers at the defense. The Cowboys had five drives of over ten plays in this game. They had five drives over seventy yards. They had five drives over ten plays. I think people look at the final score and are like, well, technically, the defense only gave up twenty four points. Like, that's not that bad, right. They didn't stop the Cowboys on their first drive of the game. Where you mentioned that the Cowboys kicked that field goal, Dak and Tony Pollard ran into each other. Right, That's the only reason why the run didn't work is because they ran into each other. On the play. The offense screwed up. They held them in the red zone. They had some good stuff in the red zone, but for the most part, Dallas drove the ball in this game at will. They drove the ball at will. And I get that the Patriots were short handed in the second theary, I get Christian Gonzalez got hurt at the end of the first quarter. The first quarter was the same even with Gonzales out there. So at this point, you know, this kind of comes back to like Bill and the job security and all that kind of stuff. We know that he's on the hot seat because of his personnel decisions, rightfully, so right and if he's not a great game planner anymore, Like that's the that's the Belichick mistique that Nick was talking about when we were talking to him about the Saints, is the Belichick mystique of game planning and taking away your best thing and like, you know, really out coaching you. And think, if he can't do that anymore, then I present the question to mister Craft of what what does he bring to the table? He doesn't the roster is not good, the game plan and then game coaching isn't necessarily good. What is he bringing to the table. And if Bill's gonna like rest on his laurels and figure something out for the rest of the season. They've got to get back to out coaching teams again. Yeah, because they don't have the talent to make up for it. That's that's why he makes the big bucks. That that's why he's here. So I was really frustrated by by the fact that, you know, you mentioned all all great points about the offensive coaching and the things that they didn't do offensively. Defensively, I thought that they were pretty much non competitive as well, except in the red zone.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, I didn't even look at the defense from this gameout was just so fag It's like offense. I couldn't take my eyes off such a train wreck.
Speaker 2: It was, well, it was all a train wreck. Yeah, that's what I'm trying to tell you. All right, all right, let's move on. Let's let's clear the phone lines. Then we'll do key matchups that quickly. All right, Ties in Seattle, let's up, Tie.
Speaker 7: Hey, how are you guys? First time caller. I want to say thanks for every thing you do. And when Juju came into Juju came to the team, was pretty excited for him. I feel like he's kind of been a bus sent, you know. He he just doesn't get open, get a separation like we need, and just two other points I'll take off the air. I was watching some film about from the Cowboys game. Uh, Matt's steetwork is just regretting. It's horrible. Uh he's he's not playing his foot and that threw that throw he made across the numbers. You know, it's high school level mistakes. You know it was big on Mac. But again, you know every week he's just like he's regressing. Even that pick six, he immediately left the pocket. I mean it was closing in but he still had time in there. And then a touchdown throw that one definitely win over top. He you know, looked off his number one and number two option immediately he had that throw in the middle there. You know, it's it's after the fact and when he went quarterback, but it's just you know, it's time NFL level quarterbacking. And then last just kind of curious why it feels like when I watched the past games, compared to other games, they're just so slow looking on the field of their motions, their plays. There's just really no urgency there as far as get the ball and go compared to some of these other new offenses in the league, and again I'll take off fair thanks for everything and.
Speaker 8: Have a good day.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the call, Tye. Yeah, I mean we broke down the footwork stuff with Mac and that's definitely you know your spot on here, definitely seeing the right things there and things like that. In terms of the motion and stuff like that. This was on my mind too, because some of the stuff that they're like trying to hit is just too slow. Like it's just it doesn't all of it does doesn't move fasten. Yeah, Right, And we've talked about teams speed on offense and it being a concern. I think one of the biggest reasons why they're so slow on offense is because of how many tight ends they're playing. And they're playing two or three tight ends like all the time, right, you know, like they're playing two or three either twelve personnel thirteen personnel, like something like eighty five percent of the game in some of these games. I get why they're doing it. They're doing it because they need to figure out a way to block, right, So they're trying to put more blockers on the field to try to figure it out.
Speaker 3: But the the.
Speaker 2: Outcome is is, like Mike Kasiki is like running a deep over Mikeasiki is not you know, he's a fast tight end, I suppose, but he's not like a deep over special runner right like he's It's not like that shouldn't be him. You know, that's a right you're trying to win on and trying to you know, generate an explosive off of and you have a six foot six, two hundred and fifty pounds tight end running it right, So it just is too slow. It just doesn't work like that. So they've got to figure out a way to run the ball. We know that, but I don't necessarily know if the heavy packages is doing them any favors because they can't throw out of it. So maybe eleven personnel is the way to go to get more receivers on the field. This kind of goes to, you know, everybody's point about Pop Douglas, like you're only playing an eighteen snaps, Like some of these routes like that need to hit quicker, need to be by run by faster people like Pop Douglas, like a Kendrick Bourne, like Taekwon if he ever gets his butt back on the field, right like, you know, those are the types of guys that need to be running those types of routes. All right, Roman is in our Justin, Sorry, go in order here. Justin's in Houston. What's up Justin?
Speaker 8: Hey guys, how's it going?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 8: Hey man time probably one time listeners. So I got two things I want to say. I was curious that you guys think build a Spelli checkle that would be relieved of his GM duty to pass that along with somebody kind of like the Nike stereo type of thing. I think me personally, the game that's kind of just passed them by. I mean you go back to whenever cole Strains was drafted. Sean McVay was on Live TV saying they had a fourth round grade on the guy. And I got a one more thing I want to say, Evan. I know hindsight is twenty twenty, but what do you personally.
Speaker 3: See in juju?
Speaker 8: I know what most guys talk up great over to Kobe, but I nenver saw it. I mean, the guys can't even break a thousand yards and home still at home, and that often anybody ex healthy. But yeah, that's it for me.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks for the call, Justin. We appreciate it. Uh, look, I missed on Juju. I'm not going to try to sugarcoat that. I thought that Juju is going to be much better than this. I think what I saw with Juju is a really good catch and run player. But the problem is is that for Kansas City, at least last year, they found a ways to get him into catch and run opportunities and the Patriots just haven't really been able to do that and haven't been able to get him loose and get him moving. He's not a jitterbug. He's not Pop Douglas, right, so he's not gonna shake out of tackles. He has to be able to run with the football, you know. Hit him on a slant and watch him run, Hit him on a dig and watch him run with it. Like those are the types of routes that he ran in Kansas City that he was effective on and they just haven't gotten the loose. And this is something that really Alex, We're on like three different coordinators that like can't get these catch and run players the ball in space. I don't think. I think McDaniel's really struggled with it with nickil Harry and with Johnny Smith. I think Patricia obviously struggled it with it last year again with John hu And I get that people can point to it and say, oh, well, those players just stink, right, like it's just on the personnel, and it's on the player, John who.
Speaker 1: Has more receiving yards than anybody on the Patriots this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's the number two.
Speaker 1: Well when you talk about the Falcons usage of.
Speaker 2: The would trade for Kyle Pitts, right, yeah, anyways, but you know now they're doing it again with Juju is not a separator. Juju doesn't separate on his own. He's not like a one on one winner, Like, that's not Juju Smith Schuster's game. They gotta, you know, they gotta get him off the line of screamage. They gotta run him on rubs on like you know, again, zone coverage. He's much better, Like, find ways to get him out into some space where he can run with the football. I'm not saying that that's gonna turn him into a thousand yard receiver, but that's what he was at his best. Right He's running those types of routes and they just haven't really gotten gotten that. But I was totally wrong about Juju and Jacoby Myers. I'll admit that Roman's in Chicago. What's up Roman?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: We left. I didn't even leave Roman on hold for that long. No one, you know, some of the other people are waiting for like over an hour.
Speaker 1: When you call somebody's name and then you backtrack on it, people hang you.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. Oh oh, they're never gonna get it to me. So it was on the screen in a different order. All right. Anyways, let's do key matchups really quickly. All right, my first key matchup in this game. Maybe we'll have some overlap which will help. But Darian low against Cameron Jordan, this is to me. When the Patriots have the ball, this is the game. Yeah, if they're gonna leave a Darian Lowe at right tackle Cameron Jordan, that's where he lines up. That's where he rushes over. Cameron Jordan might as well be twenty six years old. Like that's the way. He doesn't play like a thirty four times it's wild. He's agent like fine wine him and tomorrow Davis. This this is a absolute mismatch, a monster mismatch. On the same plane, I would say is like not necessarily Mike A. Parsons because I don't think Cameron Jordan's in that category of elite. But like John Franklin Myers, who also ate up Vederian Low two weeks ago, this is a this is a big you know, warning warning, right like for me with the Patriots in this matchup.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think the toughest part too with Cameron Jordan is that he's a great run player as well, Like he can rush the passer, but he does it both at a high level. So the running the ball at him and pass blocking him for with Vederian Low is gonna be an issue for this team on Sunday. So, yeah, that that's my number one matchup. That's that's one that everybody should have circle.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll go with on the other side of the ball, the Patriots, because look, if the Patriots are gonna win this game, they're gonna do it eventsively.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Just the Patriots front seven against Alvin Kamara.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have that one too.
Speaker 1: The Saints ran forty three plays last week, yeah, which is low, but they ran forty three plays. Twenty five of those, yeah, were to Alvin Kamara. Fourteen targets, thirteen of them catches, eleven carries. Yeah, and that was his first week back after missing three weeks. Yeah, say what you know about Mike Thomas lave. I think Derek Carrs shoulder probably factors into this. Alvin Kamara is the game for the Saints offense. And I asked Lawrence Guy about him earlier today and I was like, oh, you should like the way he cuts, and like, they're clearly impressed with this guy.
Speaker 2: It's hard not to.
Speaker 1: Lawrence Guy called him rare. His ability to cut back rare. He's slippery. You gotta swarm to the football gang tackling. They cannot be missing tackles this week. They cannot be missing tackles, especially against Alvin Kamara because more often than not, again, twenty five or forty three plays, that's way more than half. This is the guy the Saints are counting on to win them in the game.
Speaker 2: You gotta be able to shut him down. Yeah, he's he's a problem. Last week. You only had eleven carries in this first game back. All of them were outside zone run all even so they're they're an outside zone team. He loves you, like you said, the cutbacks and things like that. That's his game. He's impossible to tackle. His contact balance and his ability to break tackles has been his calling cards since day one. He's great like that. I would say also in the passing game, like you almost have to treat him as a wide receiver in the passing game, So like Juwan Bentley and Jeelani Tavai cannot be isolated on Alvin Kamara on Sunday, Like you have to treat him like, yeah, a Marde Mapu, Kyle Duggar, maybe even Jalen Mills, Like you have to have somebody that's the cover guy covering Alvin Kamara when they flex him out or in the passing game, he's a problem. And with Derek Carr's shoulder, you know that's the guy that the ball is gonna funnel through. Right now, It's not gonna be a lobby, I don't think necessarily, because a lobby is a vertical guy that needs to get the ball deep. I think a Kamara is gonna be a big part of their game plan.
Speaker 1: Again, so I would kind of add to this because the way I write it now for ninety eight five, I do like think things to watch for instead of key matchups within this, the defense has to start making plays.
Speaker 2: And I know you, I think you tweeted about this this week and it was a good point. People got mad at me. You were right, don't blame the defense.
Speaker 1: Especially now. The defense can't just stop by the way. This is something the Saints defense does incredibly well. Yeah, this Saints defense, they're not out there to stop the offense. They're out there to make plays in their own right, whether it's tackles for loss, a sacks, forcing turnovers, things like that. The Patriots defense needs to have that mentality this week, not just tackling Alvin Kamara, but getting to them in the backfield, not just knocking passes down, but picking them off when you get to the ballcarrier, right, because they got to be swarm tackling. First guy, hold them up, second guy, punch it out. It's got to be things like that this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look I said this on Twitter, and I joke like about people coming after me, but they did come after me about it, and I thought it was a good take. My whole point was is that we can disagree with the head coach here the philosophical idea of winning the game on defense. We all agree that that's not how the game has played anymore. That's not how you can win anymore at a high level. We all agree, But the bottom line is that they came into the season expecting their defense to be dominant, and when you're a dominant defense, you turn the ball over. It's not just about points per game. It's not just about points per game. The Patriots have had great defenses in terms of points per game that have given up a ton of yards, and our ben don't break and then are good in the red zone and good situationally, so they don't give up, you know, forty points a game. They only give up eighteen. This defense was not built for that. This defense was built to take the ball away. And I think a couple of different things that I've noticed about the way that they play right now. First of all, you gotta play Kyle Duggart close to the ball. Kyle Duggar's got to be close to the ball. Whatever you have to do with Devin mccorty's role, like whatever whoever has to play post safety to make that happen. You gotta try to make that happen because playing him twelve yards off the ball at this snap every single time is taking away his superpower, which is playmaking around the football. He's got to be around the ball because he has to be producing the turnovers he was producing last year, and he's not doing that right now because he's playing so deep off the line of scrimmage. So a guy like Kyle Duggart needs to be close to the ball. You get JC back, hopefully mister Iront comes up with his signature a right, and maybe Jack Jones comes back at some point, and the ball hawks a little bit as well. But in general, you weren't I'm sorry, in the modern NFL, you are not a good defense. If you have two takeaways in four games, you just aren't.
Speaker 1: In a lot of errors, I don't even think that's a modern thing, a lot of errors. You're not a committee, it's like, especially in this era, because like that, that's how defense impacts the game more than anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a back and forth, right, Like the offense is gonna land some punches and you have to land some punches. They they have to turn the ball over more than they have. Yeah, and that's the I couldn't agree more with that. All Right, my last one here, this one's going you know me, I gotta go interior offensive. Okay Hurst, their right guard against Christian Barmore. This is the weak point of their offensive line right now. And of course I'm blanking on his freaking first name like an idiot. But Christian Barmore without I'll get it in here in this I'll keep talking. Christian Barmore without Matthew Judon becomes your second best pass rusher, right, Joshu Jay is your best pass rusher, and Christian Barmore becomes your second best. It's James Hurst, James.
Speaker 1: Hurst, Okay, all right, because and andrews Pete is out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so James Hurst is their right guard. I think he's like something like sixty second among seventy guards in pass blocking grade right now in PFF right, so like he can't pass block very well. And your one two punch now in the pass rush becomes josh U j and Christian Barmore. So I think they really need to get some interior pressure. Watching that film last week against the Bucks Vita Vea just eight Hurst alive was in the backfield for a lot of that game. So I need to see that that old rookie season Christian bar Moore. I know we all want to see kef. I was gonna say, can we put Keon White in there as well. But it's gonna is gonna get a lot more attention now, like is gonna be the judon of this defense in pass for situations. Now they have to get some interior pressure. They have to get some secondary rushers, and Christian Barmore has got to lead that. Okay, So I only gave one.
Speaker 1: One of them was just Rashichi heat kickoffs. Contain him the last one. This is the number I've been teasing all game, Evan, the Patriots third down offense against the Saints third down defense. And again when you get third and short, yeah, run the ball.
Speaker 2: They're not going to listen. Just to mess with you.
Speaker 1: The Saints have faced seventeen third and shorts this year, so we're going yards to go three or less? All right, nearly an even split on those plays. They faced eight runs nine passes.
Speaker 2: Yep. Okay.
Speaker 1: When Tames throw the ball against the Saints on third and short, yes, I can't tell if you're making fun of me, you're extra.
Speaker 2: I have it on a table here. Do you want to see it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I just want to keep going. When which is when we need a whiteboard?
Speaker 1: Right, when teams throw the ball against the Saints on third and short. Yes, they are converting a first down thirty three percent of the time.
Speaker 2: It's not good.
Speaker 1: When they run the ball against the Saints on third and short sixty two percent of the time is good. That's better than the league average. The other ones worse. Run third and short, third and one hand the ball off. I feel like in the blind side, run the damn ball. And yes, the runs and include quarterback sneaks. No, no quarterback sneak, no handing it off out of the shotgun. No put zeke, put remandree back there, put Pharaoh Brown in front of him. In Sandra Bullock, run the damn ball, I think that's right.
Speaker 2: Did that start with Marshaun Lynch? I don't know, but that that's I always think it was Sandra Bullock.
Speaker 1: On third the Saints good against the pass, bad against the run on third and short the ball and there's no sample sized thing there same number of plays.
Speaker 2: I want run the ball. I want them to. I want them to make. You know, they made these like tough guys cover kick t shirts. Can we just run, like, make a T shirt that actually matters and it says run the damn ball. Tough teams run the ball on third and one. Yeah, that's a better T shirt.
Speaker 1: Tough teams run the ball on third and one.
Speaker 2: All right, very last thing here, then we gotta wrap really quickly. Just don't don't get yourself caught with your pants down when Taysom Hill comes in the game at quarter pot. Yeah, like, it's not a it's not like this huge thing but that we need to break down for thirty minutes. Don't worry marine, but the big the biggest thing is just looked at the clock. Don't be surprised, Like, don't be surprised when they try to run like QB power with Taysom Hill and all of a sudden, it's you know, it's the Wildcat Dolphins game with Ronnie Brown, right, Like, just don't don't take it lightly and don't be surprised by it. The Patriots have a plan against it. They'll be fine, but they will put Taysom Hill at quarterbacks some in this game and have them run wildcat Like that's going to happen. It happened, They did it last week, They're gonna do it again this week, and they're gonna try to hit the Patriots. I'm sure on some of the things that have given them problems, you know, like power and counter with Lamar and justin fields last year. I'm sure they're gonna try to do some of those things and test it and see if the Patriots are ready for it. So just don't get yourself caught in a place where you're like, oh, right, Taysom Hill and then he's got, like, you know, a ridiculous game on his hands. This game is gonna be offense is gonna be at a premium for both of these teams. I think, you know, the Saints their quarterbacks banged up, and they haven't been a good offense so far. The Patriots haven't been a good offense because of their own reasons. And you know, this should be eighteen fifteen, seventeen fourteen type of game, and you don't want Taysom Hill to be the difference in that for New Orleans. Like one drive that Taysom Hill comes out and runs the ball down the field. So just be ready for that. Do you like the Patriots in this game on Sunday? You're taking the Patriots because they're at home? Yeah, I do, But I don't feel great about it. I mean neither I've taken the Patriots too, but listening to Nick Hunter Hill, I am a little bit concerned about the fact that the Saints probably have more offensive firepower that they just haven't really been using correctly. So I hope they don't. Hope this isn't the week that they figure it out. But that's gonna do it here. Thanks for listening, Thanks for watching. Leave those comments, leave those reviews. We like them all, even the ones that are negative, So keep leaving those. Rate us on you know, Apple podcasts or whatever, and we will be back next week to preview the Raiders, talk about this game against the Saints, and then pack to Vegas. I go Alex back, You're gonna see the Vegles. This is the fourth time I will be in Las Vegas in the calendar year, and for most men that's like, hell yeah, let's go to Vegas. For me, I am done with the desert, but I'll be there next week, so there we go. See you guys. Then, thank you for downloading this podcast.
Speaker 3: Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: Like the show, please rate and review us.
Speaker 3: Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners
Speaker 6: Can find US be sure to check patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.