Speaker 1: On the Bechdelcast, the questions asked if movies have women and them, are all their discussions just boyfriends and husbands, or do they have individualism? It's the patriarchy, Zephyn bast start changing it with the Bechdel Cast.
Speaker 2: Jamie, I wish I could quit.
Speaker 3: You, Caitlyn, I wish I could. It's the only way. It feels like. I wish I could quit this podcast. But that's not even true. That's not even true. I'm thrilled to say I like my job.
Speaker 2: You know, I love it.
Speaker 3: I don't wish I could quit this podcast or you.
Speaker 2: That's what I meant to say. The other the alternative was Jamie Twist Jamie Nasty.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that is what a beautiful turn of phrase. Every time I hear it, it really gets me. It hits Welcome to the Bachdel Cast. My name is Jamie Nasty.
Speaker 2: My name is Caitlyn Nasty. Yeah, doesn't quite roll off the tongue as much. But this is our show where we examined movies through an intersectional feminist lens, using the Bechdel test simply as a jumping off point. Now, Jamie, what on earth is that?
Speaker 3: Well? It will be an interesting discussion. Today, we use the Bechdel test as a jumping off point for discussion. It was originally created by friend of the show guest of the show, queer cartoonist Alison Bechdel, who originally wrote or sort of invented the Bechdel Test sometimes called the Bechdel Wallace Test in her comics collection Likes to Watch Out For in the eighties nineteen eighty five, and was written in the context of we've talked about this recently how there were so few first not just women in movies that spoke to each other, but specifically queer women who spoke to each other. And the joke of the strip was that the characters would have to ship characters together because there were so infrequently canonical lesbian couples on screen. There's now many versions of it. It has sort of been adapted to a more mainstream, offied version of that. The version of the test that we use requires that two characters of a marginalized gender with names speak to each other about something other than a man for more than two lines of dialogue. But again, this is a jumping off point for discussion. Not every movie is going to pass it, and it really is a case to case basis if.
Speaker 2: Broke Back Mountain doesn't pass the Bechdel test, which who can say, We'll find out later.
Speaker 3: So I mean it reminds me of so much, Caitlin. I was wondering if you were thinking about this as well, or a couple of years ago, I think some bad faith actors weaponized the Bechdel test for Firegast Fire Island, and I'm like, get a life, get a life. You know what you're doing. Anyways, we'll talk about it, but but yes, that is what it is. And today we are covering at long last a movie that we have almost covered so many times, but it was never it either didn't win a poll or we didn't have quite the right guest and the stars of a line. We are covering Broke Back Mountain two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: We sure are, and our guest today is a professor of Communications in Film at Georgetown University. He's the author of books like Working Like a Homosexual, Gray Gardens and Queer Theory and Broke Back Mountain Relevant. Hello, it's Matthew Tinkham.
Speaker 3: Welcome, thank you.
Speaker 4: It is really lovely to be here with you talking about this film. And I already have a sense of whether I may fit with the Bechdel test or not. But I think it fails. It fails for really great reasons, which are the more compelling.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, I mean our listeners know this at this point. But sometimes I feel like it's like when people when people lie to Caitlin and I at parties about having listened to the show, They're like, right, it's the podcast where you figure out if something is passes the Bechdel test and therefore it's good or bad. And you're like, get a library card, and it takes us to two hours each episode to figure it out. I know, I was like, what do you think for saying anyways, yes, if this, I honestly I was so locked in that I was not particularly paying attention for the Bechtel test in this particular movie. But we'll talk I mean.
Speaker 2: Story of my life, yeah, every episode. But yeah, well we'll talk about that a little later. For now, Matthew, tell us about your relationship, your history with Broke Back Mountain.
Speaker 5: Sure, so, a little bit of backstory, literally, which is that the film Broke Back Mountain is based on a piece of short fiction by the writer Annie Koole and the original really short story It's not even a novella, was published in nineteen ninety seven in the New Yorker magazine, and.
Speaker 4: I remember just randomly sort of finding and reading it and being astonished at what an amazing piece of writing it was. And Prole was such an interesting figure. She's the famous, important, you know, novelist, and her attentions have been lots of places, but this seemed a kind of an anomalous, fascinating project for her to take on, which is in kind of really the space of about thirty pages of writing, he rethinks of the American West and the American Western in terms of same sex erotics between these two figures, these two men, and the still More and Jack Twist, and the story at the time, and all before the film was even sort of you know, sort of being developed, really sort of grabbed a lot of people as at attention, and for a number of reasons, one of which is they say, was she was rethinking how to write about the West. She's sometimes identified as a kind of environmental writer, and then she was aligning it with you know, the Western and this kind of you know, my mythological storytelling, especially in American you know, popular culture around these kinds of heroic figures, the cowboy in the Western, which was really interesting inasmuch as a as a you know, straight identified cisgender woman. What's going on with this project of taking on of all Western and doing it in this very careful, very sensitive and loving way, which is not to dismiss or insult these characters, these white working class men, and to think about a world in which some kind of uh sort of romantic and sexual and erotic possibilities sort of are thinkable, and that what's going on is I think that it's and this will get to I think our our our topic, which is, you know, I think it's a feminist project kind of coming in sideways towards thinking about masculinity and working class masculinity. And as we'll talk about in a moment when we get to the film, I mean their adaptations then that happened in the movie, that sort of build out from what supplied on the story in the Cruel's story. So I remember reading it in ninety seven, and this was when a sort of a particular body of scholarly, philosophical and political work that we now kind of call in broader fashion and queer theory was really a taking off. And so this was when I was writing my very first book, which was working like a homosexual and thinking about the larger queerness of American popular culture than even had been sort of recognized, and that people like and I discussed for work at length the Queer Brokeback Mountain book. Eve Sedgwick's sort of just amazingly important scholarship and writing was really becoming influential. So it felt as if Andy Prule was kind of doing over on the literary fiction side something that you Sedgwick was working over in kind of the literary and philosophical collary side. So that happened. The story was published in nineteen ninety seven, and then in the early two thousands, this rumor started circulating, which is that there's going to be a film adaptation of it. And as the details unfolded, it got more and more exciting, which was that the kind we needs, American filmmaker On Lee had signed up and was actually really the person who was pushing most most to see if this could be made into a film, and a little bit of that sort of knowledge about that on Lee is one of those directors that never makes the same kind of movie twice, so you know, he he did this idea of much like you know, Poule, who wouldn't be the first person you might identify with the Western wants to do this project, and it seems like there are all these question marks over you know, why and what's his interest. And we'll talk a little bit later when we unpacked the film in more detail, but so first it was on Lee, and then when the cast started to be sort of discussed, the then really sort of you know, hot emerging figures of Hate Ledger, John Jake, Kellen Hall, Michelle Williams, and Anne Hathaway for the sort of four main leads really said this is this is an important film. This is not just some kind of niche, little smaller production. And then the kind of jewel in the crown was going to be that the film is being adapted by Diana Ausena and Larry McMurtry, and especially Larry McMurtry so associated with these kind of colossal pieces of American popular culture about the West and the big project being a lonesome cowboy, and that in a certain sense everyone was wondering, what is Larry McMurtry doing, like basically working on a Western about as it was then called the Gay Cowboy Story and what's going to happen? And so there was a lot of excitement around the possibility of this film being made because the perception was, and I agree with the perception, there's never been a film of this budgeting or stature dealing with a Cauer erodics in the American corporate film, and that it was getting more and more interesting to think about this possibility. So when the film came out in two thousand and five, there was a lot of anticipation, and there was also a lot of sense of can this thing even work is going to be is going to be weird? Is it going to be sanitized? Level of nuance might have there's a certain brilliance that was attached to it. Then it turned out to be a really interesting work of art that took seriously its source material and understood the stature of what it was trying to do, which was to try to kind of assert a kind of different narrative of same sex erotics in the face of probably the genre that's most difficult and instance that's resistant to that of the genre being the Western. So I remember seeing the film and kind of out of the cinema being astonished, and then seeing it several times just sort of, you know, wanting to really understand what was going on. And then because of the film, and the film did, by the way, extraordinarily well. I mean it was I think produced for about fifteen million dollars and it earned a global sort of box office I think one hundred and eighty million, which just meant this thing was just going, yeah, like you know, it's a word, you know, this is this is a success. And what that theme to Harold at the moment was the idea that Hollywood was now able to take on her sexualities and not be weird or squeamish about them. So then just to follow open the last chapter, is that when I was asked by an editor named Todd McGowan, who's a faculty member at the University of Vermont, if I would like to write a book in a series he was editing. And the idea of his book was very similar to how you think about your podcast, which is pick a film and then find that as the doorway into a particular intellectual topic or area. And so Todd had asked me if I wanted to write on queer theory, and to think about a particular film that I thought that this would work with, and so I gave it a lot of thoughts, and I'll oh, I ultimately obviously arrived at broke Back Mountain as the films to write on. I thought about some others, and that included, you know, Todd Haynes's film Carol, the one car Why film in the mood for love. But Todd's sort of response was, and now I know he was right, not that I disagreed, was he was like, look, broke Back Mountain, we'll get people excited in a way that those other films wonderful as they are, they're they're smaller, they're they're more niche on kind of perception. Whereas this thing he won all these awards and won Best Director for ron Lee, won the Baftub for Best Film, and that for a reader who wasn't particularly sort of knowing how to approach it queer theory, the doorway of this film would be then an tindy imitation and entrance into thinking about what this body of work of queer theory is. So that's how the book came out of then that longer.
Speaker 2: History, incredible thank you for outlining all of that, A rich history, a broke backstory.
Speaker 3: If you wrote nice, nice, thank you, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Jamie.
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 2: What's your history with this movie?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I will be far less articulate and say, although I had seen this movie once before in college, I believe is when I first saw it. I didn't see it when it came out, But I think it was because I was in seventh grade and this was a grown up movie, so I was still saying about our kids movies. But I do remember I read the short story before I saw the movie. I don't remember why. I think I just read it because it was at the library. It must have just been. I used to be all about the front table at the library, and so I read a collection, the Collection of Annie Pool Stories that this the Propac Mountain appears in, which has the word wyoming in the title. Anyways, she's an incredible writer. The short story is. I reread it last week and it's still so beautiful. It is like so overwhelming and inspiring. How much emotion and story and interiority she fits into so little space. I have no idea. It's like a magic trick, but it's really a really beautiful short story. And then I saw the movie once and it may be so sad that I didn't return to it for years because it was making me feel too much. But I first sat in a film history class, and this would have been in college in the early twenty tens, so still fairly new at that time. And yeah, I'm very excited to talk about it today. I had another thought, but it has left to me, so leave it at that. I'm very excited to talk more about it. And it was really a pleasure to revisit both the Oh. I was thinking, if either of you remember this. I looked for this story. I remember very strongly it was a radio story. Maybe it was this American life story. I'm not quite sure, but there was a story I heard years ago about a superfan of Broke Back Mountain who was a gay man who had read it when it first came out and then had really like it was a whole radio story about his history with the short story and then later the film and just like how much it had affected him. And I don't know, I just if anyone remembers hearing that radio story and it is able to find it. For me, I remember that story and this particular person's connection to the material almost as strongly as I remember the story itself. So just shouting that possible piece of loss media out as well, Caitlyn, what about you.
Speaker 2: I saw this movie around the time it came out. I was in college at the time. I don't think I saw it in theaters, but it would have probably been within a year of it coming out for the great Caitlin movie Binge, which I always say was of two thousand and five, but it really started in two thousand and four and lasted into like two thousand and seven eight. So I saw it then and it was like, I mean, we'll talk about this movie's cultural legacy, of course, and then culture's response to it when it came out, but I just remember, in addition to the film itself, all of the jokes, spoofs, references that were made in pop culture for years afterward, and so that was just like a part of the zeitgeist at the time. And then I rewatched the film and read this short story for the first time when I was in grad school because I took a film adaptation class and shout out to my master's degree in screenwriting from Boston University that I hate to bring up and never mention, but this is one of the films that we studied, one of the adaptations that we read the source material for and then studied the adaptation, and so I got pretty like in depth with that from an adaptation standpoint. But then I hadn't seen it since then. So it's been a number of years since I've watched the film, and I was excited to revisit it. I forgot how just wrenching. The final scene is just cry and crying, crying, But yeah, I'm excited to discuss it. Yeah, So let's take a quick break and then we'll come back for the recap, and we're back, broke back.
Speaker 3: Broke back. Yeah, and if you don't like that joke, buckle in because it's gonna keep happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately. So we'll provide a content warning at the top here for violence against women and anti queer violence. We meet Ennis del Mar played by Heath Ledger and Jack Twist played by Jake Gyllenholl. They show up in Signal, Wyoming looking for work. A sheep rancher named a Geary played by.
Speaker 3: Rand Jump Scare. Truly, I did not remember him completely forgot Randy Quaid was in this The Quaid lineage should be studied, and.
Speaker 2: Not by me and not by us.
Speaker 3: Someone should do that, truly.
Speaker 2: So he hires these two men to camp on a place called broke Back Mountain for the summer to look after his flock of sheep. Jack and Ennis get acquainted with each other. They settle into the daily life of tending to the sheep. They're camping, they're eating beans, They're dealing with bears and coyotes. Jack has to travel several miles to the sheep grazing area each day, and after a while he says, you know, I spend too much time commuting. We should both sleep here at the camp together. Wink, and Enis maybe doesn't get the hint, or maybe he simply ignores it, because he says, oh, I don't mind switching with you. I'll go off and look after the sheep.
Speaker 3: So they kind of switch rolls.
Speaker 2: After more time, Jack gets Ennis to open up a little bit because he's a very like stoic, quiet reserved man, and they start becoming friends. And then one night, Enis gets too drunk to head back to where the sheep are, so he has to stay at the campsite, and Jack offers to let him sleep in the tent with him, and eventually Ennis agrees, and after a short time, Jack makes a move. Ennis is taken aback and he pushes Jack off at first, but after a few moments the tides turn and they start having sex. The next morning, Jack tries to be like hey boo, but Ennis leaves in a hurry. It's awkward. A bit later, they both deny being queer, and so we're not sure if anything is going to happen again because Enis makes a reference to this being sort of like a one off thing. But then one day Ennis goes into Jack's tent and they start kissing and snuggling and it's very tender and intimate. Then one day the boss man a Geary, sees them in the distance. They're kind of like rough housing with their shirts off, and he gets the sense of what is going on between them, and then a short time later he tells Jack and Ennis to bring the sheep back down from the mountain a month earlier than they were expecting. Basically, he's like firing them, but before they go, Ennis and Jack start sort of like playfully rough housing again, but then it gets too rough. Perhaps they resent having to leave each other, and Ennis ends up with a bloody nose and he bleeds on Jack's shirt and will put it and maybe his own shirt.
Speaker 4: Is like it.
Speaker 3: There's such a this I forgot what a like master class on like masculinity. This movie is.
Speaker 2: Repression, yes, yeah, yeah, And also Chekhov's shirts will put a pin in those. He is always talking about that. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. So things get physical. They're punching each other. The repression is palpable. They're about to part ways, and it seems like they'll never see each other again. After Jack leaves, Ennis has a panic attack or you know, he's vomiting or dry heaving. Clearly he's in emotional turmoil. We cut to enis getting married to Alma Alma a character played by Michelle Williams, and then a few years pass they've had a couple daughters.
Speaker 3: I always love that they have Almah junior. You dont's see that very often? More shout out.
Speaker 2: More junior girls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I liked that.
Speaker 2: Then meanwhile Jack goes back to Ageary asking for work. Ageary says no, the subtext being like, I'm not hiring you again because I'm homophobic. So then Jack goes to Texas to try to get some rodeo work, and there he meets a woman named Loreen played by Anne Hathaway.
Speaker 3: Who I learned auditioned for this movie while on break from Princess Diaries Too, which I just find delightful. She came in a ball gown and yeah, it's like, wow, what a what a story? Yeah, Princess Diaries Too, I'll say it not the cinematic masterpiece that brother bag Matton is, right, Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: So Jack and Loreene get married. Cut to they've had a baby. So a few years have passed, and in that time, Ennis and Alma are doing their best to raise their little girls. They're trying to make ends meet. But and we'll talk about class as it relates to this movie, and generally they're struggling and it seems like their marriage isn't that great. Then, out of the blue, one day, Ennis gets a postcard from Jack inviting him to get together with Jack and hang out, and Ennis lies and tells Alma that they were fishing button ease. They reunite after four years of not seeing each other. They make out a little bit right in front of Ennis's house, which Alma sees, and she's shocked and upset, but plays it off like everything is fine. Ennis and Jack spend the night together. Then they go on a quote unquote fishing trip in which they never actually fish, but Jack and he'll do this throughout the story, but he suggests that they try to make a life with one another. He suggests that they buy and work on a ranch together, but Ennis doesn't see how that's possible. He says, we can't abandon our wife and kids, and if people find out we're together, we might be killed, And then Ennis tells a story from his childhood to this effect. We can talk more about that later, but so the plan becomes for them to meet up every once in a while in the privacy of the middle of no where on Brokeback Mountain. Sometime later, Ennis and Alma get divorced. Jack hears about the divorce and drives up to Wyoming to see Enis, thinking that maybe this means they can finally start a life together. Jack is such a romantic no oh quick, But this is the one weekend of the month that Enis gets to see his daughters, so he sends Jack away and Jack is so disappointed and he's crying on his way back home. It's again so heart wrenching. He goes to a town in Mexico by the border to go cruising, and he picks up a man to be with for the night. It seems like he does this somewhat regularly. Then it's Thanksgiving time. We see two separate scenes, one with Jack and his family and in laws, and then another scene with Enis, his daughters, Alma and her new husband, and both scenes are quite tense. We can also talk more about those later if we would like. And then Ennis meets a woman named Cassie played by Linda Cardellini. Also did not remember if he's in this movie now.
Speaker 3: Much less Anna Ferris, David Harbor. Yeah, Kate Mara, you're just like, so what a cast famous people bit parts going on?
Speaker 2: So Ns meets Cassie and they start romantically seeing each other, but he seems to be keeping her at arm's length. Meanwhile, Jack and Loreene make friends with another couple. This is the David Harbor and Anna Faris pair, and it seems like this guy, Randall and Jack something might be happening there. It seems like Randall is interested in Jack, he suggests they go camping together. We never fully know what might transpire there, but there's something happening there. Then we see a couple more of Ennis and Jack's trips. Again, Jack longs to see Enis more frequently. He wants to build a life together. Ennis thinks he's being unrealistic about that being a possibility. They argue, we get the famous line of Jack saying, I wish I knew how to quit you. You know, they're breaking down, crying, and this is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation, to quote the movie again. Ennis returns home and sometime later he receives a returned postcard in the mail that he had sent to Jack, saying that the recipient is deceased. So Ennis calls Jack's house to see what's going on, and Loreene tells him that Jack died after a tire changing mishap on the side of the road, But we see a flashback of either what really happened or what Ennis speculates might be what really happened, which is that Jack was beaten to death by a group of men who presumably found out that he was queer. Loreene tells Ennis that Jack wanted his ashes to be spread on his favorite place, broke Back Mountain. So Ennis goes to Jack's parents to retrieve the ashes and carry out his dying wishes. After a tense interaction with Jack's parents, especially his mean old son of a bitch of a father, Ennis goes into Jack's childhood bedroom, where he finds those two shirts, one belonging to Jack and one belonging to Ennis. They're tucked into each other. Yep. Yeah, the idea being that Jack kept these as a memento of their relationship, and you're just like crying, crying, crying. Ennis clutches the shirts. He's fraught with emotion, and then he returns home. His daughter, Alma Junior played by Kate Maara. Now she's I think late teen's early twenties. She pays her dad a visit to invite him to her wedding, and at first he's like, a heatero wedding. I don't think I can do that, but then he's like, it's my daughter, I'll be there. And then after she leaves, he discovers that she left her sweater behind accidentally, so he goes to put it in his closet where we get a reveal that he has hung up the shirt that he took from Jack's parents' house, along with a photograph of broke Back Mountain cry the end. So that's the story. Let's take a quick break and we'll come back to discuss, and we're broke back and we're broken after that.
Speaker 3: That was our last break. So you don't need to hear it again, Okay, there is so so much to talk about. I get emotional even hearing the plot described to me, Matthew, is there anywhere that you would like to jump off guest privilege?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, thank you for that description, and it always really helps to kind of see the narrative arc of this thing. And one of the things that's you remarkable about this film, and I'm interested, you know, in your experience, Caitlin in terms of, you know, studying in terms of adaptation from this piece of fiction writing into cinema, is that a lot of what this film is about is about language lessness. It's about silences and misunderstanding and attribution and never clarity. And so one of the things that is so significant about it and one of the things I do in the books, I locate sort of rules locating of it in the early nineteen sixties, right at this moment in which it seems kind of in hindsight, we know that there's an incipient new kind of politicization of sexuality coming, both in terms of second wave feminism but also in terms of the then what we're called gay in the lesbian liberatory politics, and that this is kind of the threshold moment in which what we see is a world in which there is no language per se to talk about sexuality and desire and it's effect on all of these institutions, most importantly the family. And so you know, the Western, especially as a genre, which is full of these you know, magnificent landscapes that are sort of empty of language and can be kind of builled in right in a way with these figures, but to themselves, they don't have any way to describe what's happening to them. And so much of the film's sort of then drama in folds over the fact that there are these you know, really sad you know this is I think you and you've both said it. You know, it's like this film really just never it's a deep emotion sort of impact never really dissipates I mean, as many times as I see the film, I always think like it's going to get easier, and it doesn't, because that languagelessness thing is about this kind of ache of wishing that these characters could find some way of telling each other what's going on. And that's both between the two figures of Nice and Jack, but it's also within their marriages, and that the fact that their marriages are these frames that sit around sort of their bond with these two women, Alma and Marine who And this is one of the things I really respect about of the films kind of building out of their characters because they're not huge in the source material, but that they are understood, even though they had a lot less sort of development as characters, but they're understood with a great deal of compassion as to their situation and they are not made into villains of Jack, and this is desire for each other in fact, I think, especially you know Alma's confusion over what is essentially excluding her from any understanding what's going on with with her husband and the next husband, and the Michelle Williams character or performance is just really beautiful in terms of her anger and fear and her sense of you know. And this is the thing about the class politics of the movie as well, which is that, you know, there's this thing about the fact that with Ennis and her no longer together as a kind of viable heterosexual couple with children, this jeopardizes her as a woman, and you know that this is about her livelihood, and on the one hand, that's you know, about a certain kind of homophobic sort of inheritance that she probably has as a woman of that historical moment. But it's also about the fact that what the film wants to do in a certain sense depict as this kind of utopian sexuality of Jack and Ennis up on the mountain, you know, in social life, puts her and her daughter's you know, into into financial jeopardy. And I think it's very subtle and sympathetic you know, around that. But you know, just to close the point on that this this ache of language, the sort of loss of language or not having language, and that the only sort of ever approach that you see in the film is you know, between Edison and Jack, the I ain't no queer, I ain't either sort of you know thing is about the fact that you know, you really want, like Stonewall, to happen. It's that these men need, like you know, something to come into their world for them to be able to describe it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I thank you for I mean, you have literally written the book on it. But it's just it's it's really helpful hearing it framed that way. This was the first time that in conversation with this movie, I did, you know, I guess like just research alongside of like, well what history like, I you know, it's specifically in Wyoming where they are, where this is such a rural area, and that how much class figures into this movie in a way that I feel like isn't as talked about, but there was a wonderful friend of the show, Matt Boehm, made a really thoughtful video about that as well of specifically speaking to your point, Matthew, why this story is set when it's set and where it's set, which is all very intentional, where it's like on the cusp of a step forward for visibility but also still a time of incredible danger. And that's not to say that that has changed meaningfully enough, but just to root it in this specific moment that you just are like so desperate for something to change, for there to be some cultural conversation that could just make Ennis feel comfortable in envisioning a life for himself that he's just so unable to and and to really sit in. And obviously the Heath Ledger performance is incredible, like where you really feel not just how his internalized homophobia is corrosive, but just how homophobia is corrosive to everyone. Everyone in this story is touched by it in one way or another, and it's done so devastatingly but not but still somehow not whacking you over the head with anything. It's so personal to every character, right, Yeah, I really was able to appreciate the historic moment it was set in at this time, and like part of the tragedy is that they are so close to possibly being able to envision a different kind of life together.
Speaker 4: And then Jack is that's right, which is the you know the one of the distinctions between them as characters is that Jack can envision something and says this, you know, talk about you one of the few people in the film who seems to be you know, bordering onto a language which to think about a different possibility. You know, this idea he has like you know, look, we could we could live together, well, we could both be in the place together. And you know, he has that sort of idea, and I think the Gillenhall performance has this exuberance around it. And then by contrasts and before he died, you know, Keith Ledger said that one of the things that on Lee and he talked about was how to sort of have us as this character. And it's in Ledger's beautiful performance who like words just like he has to he can't get them out. He's punched over and the way the Ledger uses his mouth to have almost like you know, it's like a struggle. It aches for him to have to to speak that you know, that language just doesn't come to him. And that's why, you know, and this is when I teach the film. I always ask my students in the conversation. You know, the film concludes with this assertion from endos you know Jack I swear, And I asked my students, think, what's the second half of that sentence that we always wonder, like, what is it that he is swearing? What is he making a vow around? And because we know anas we know that he himself is you know, it could take forever for him to finally figure out the second half of that sentence totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, we get the impression throughout the movie that Ennis is so haunted by an image he saw as a boy. One of two flashbacks in the movie both show anti queer violence, where the first one is Ennis describing something he saw as a boy, something that his father deliberately showed him as like a cautionary tale, because he tells his story about how there were two men who lived together and that everyone in the community, you know, presumed that they were in a romantic relationship, and then one of the men was murdered, and Ennis's father shows Ennis as a I don't know, eight nine ten year old boy the body of the murdered man, something that clearly affected him for life, and Ennis even speculates like, it might have been my dad who murdered this man. I'm not sure. And we also get the impression that no justice whatsoever was was done for the victim.
Speaker 3: It's still this was a time in Wyoming specifically, but also in so many states where it wasn't just that homophobic hate crimes weren't, you know, explicitly against the law, but that the law would sometimes encourage them, you know, by how it wasn't just that gay rights weren't codified, said anti gay legislation was the state of the law. So right, So that's the nature of the first flashback, and it's clear the impact it has had on Na. It has led to repression. It has led him to believe that if he and Jack live the life together that Jack wants them to live, one or both of them will probably be killed. And then the second flashback we get is of either the real event of what happened or Ennis's speculation of what might have happened regarding Jack's death, which might have been another homophobic hate crime. Either way, Jack dies, which means Ennis will never see him again and any future that they might have had together no longer exists. And so the movie ends in tragedy. And that got me thinking about queer cinema of the time and then even in years that follow and how so much of it ends in tragedy. And I was thinking about how it seems like a hetero mainstream audience tends to be more comfortable with queer love stories that do end in tragedy than not. Because again, this was such a hugely successful film both box office and critical. We've shifted away from that a bit, but I couldn't help but think about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a really important question for this film in terms of the implications of it. You know, we could come at it from you know, a couple of directions, one of which we need to say. What it's trying to describe is the sort of deep suffering of sort of queer people, you know, like queer phobic society, and that you know, there are no miraculous or heroic outcomes in the face of such monumental violence and exclusion. So in a certain sense, it tells the truth about that historical sort of moment. And on the flip side, does you know, does the film in a certain sense? I don't necessarily agree with his reading, but I respect it sort of in a certain sense, and join with a long tradition of pathetic queer people who all what Lee, never can have any kind of sort of life. You know that, you know, it's like adult they all die or kill themselves kind of, you know, frame everyone's doomed exactly.
Speaker 3: I guess I wonder well, I'm curious what you think, Matthia, because we've recently also covered I mean, We've covered a lot of queer cinema on the show over the years, but it is like this clear pattern of it's It's not even something that I hold against the movie specifically. I think it more is just as an industry, like the film industry, tends to elevate and promote and award tragic stories versus stories that center queer joy or even just has queer characters that doesn't end in abject tragedy, like we just covered Desert Hearts, a movie that definitely, you know, it's also rooted in the past, addresses all of the homophobic elements that existed in that moment in time, but doesn't end in abject tragedy, is made by and written by a queer woman. And these are both tremendously great movies as far as I'm concerned, But one movie gets the mainstream approval, and it's the one that is more centered on tragedy. So I don't view Yeah, I agree with you, I don't view it as a fault of Broke Back Mountain. I think it's just more the pattern of what gets uplifted and sort of put into mainstream cannon and why a movie like Desert Heart sort of remains more obscure. I guess I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well this gets at the heart of you know what you know. Earlier I was describing as the anticipation of the film coming out in two thousand and five and leading up to, you know, its appearance, was an excitement over the idea that you know, a large scale, well funded, sort you know, with star and mass appeal film was now possible. And then in a certain sense of kind of all moments or say, but does it applicate the pattern of the pathetic queer you get again, only with maybe a bigger budget and more stories, you know, star power, And then you kind of ask yourself as like, oh, is that a progressive politics or is that just you know, the same one with like, you know, more movie stars. And then a sort of larger framing historical issue around is that the American corporate film just doesn't have a great track record of any kind of you know, queer positive sort of long term you know practice, and that we can we can love the film work back Mountain and sort of say it's nuanced and subtle and his complexity in all the ways that it does, and then kind of go, but it's like one movie you know that happens on a very rare occasion, and this seems to be, you know, in a certain sense, a larger indictment of the what i'll call the conservatism of the American corporate film.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it did not seem like this was an easy movie to not I mean, first of all, just make much less make well where this was my first time sort of digging more into the production history that I'd love to talk about with both of you. Matt Boma also talks about this in his video, and also I think he was in high school or college when the film came out, and sort of his experience of being frustrated with the film's popularity and also feeling quite defensive of it, especially when I think most famously it was you know, Crash one Best Picture over Broke Back Mountain, which I think now everyone can say makes absolutely no sense, and even at the time most people were like, this feels homophobic for Crash to be winning an oscar like this, Like, if you've seen it, it has no it barely has a right to exist as far as I've concerned. But in any case, just to get a little bit into the production history of this movie, there is so much, so everyone feel free to jump in. But this started with Diana O'sana reading the story and immediately saying like, I want to adapt this. I want this to be a film. Annie Poole, who I think, like many great short story writers, is somewhat prickly, was like, it can't be a movie. Sorry, just like, girl, take the check. But you know, she has her dignity and I respect her for that. But in terms of and we've talked about this quite a bit, when it comes to any marginalized identity being represented in a Hollywood film, really that there is so much internal pushback. There is a pressure to change material. There are actors who are quote unquote not comfortable portraying a queer character. Oh yeah, in as few words as possible. I mean. Gus Van Sant was on board to direct this movie for some time and encountered enough frustration and pushback that he ended up leaving the project and ended up making Milk, which is a movie I have not seen actually, but would be an interesting discussion. I hate Sean Penn. I don't know what do we do with that.
Speaker 2: It's complicated.
Speaker 3: But anyways, just going through the list of actors, all of whom are still famous and working, who were considered or approached for the roles of Jack and Ennis, and how many, many many of them were quote unquote not comfortable or just responded in an overtly homophobic way to the suggestion. I think the most famous examples are Matt Damon, who said, Gus, he's saying this is when Gus van Sant was still the attached director. He said, Gus, I did a gay movie referencing the talented mister Ripley than a cowboy movie all the pretty horses. I can't follow it up with a gay cowboy movie. Really awesome response. There was also Mark Wahlberg who one as well, it feels almost absurd to approach in this context, but they tried. He have course responded in the way that Mark Wahlberg would respond. He said he was quote creeped out unquote by the script, which again Mark Wahlberg wouldn't know a good script if it like you know, so anyways, that it took some time to find, uh, I mean, the right writer found the material almost immediately. But in terms of building the rest of the team in a way that was respectful and reverent of the material took quite a long time, and it had everything to do and I feel like as a direct may of the homophobia of the time for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as you pointed out, Jamie Gus van Sandt eventually like abandoned the project because he had such a hard time casting it. So he dropped out. And then other directors were approached, including queer directors like Jewel Schumacher and Pedro Almodovar. Schmacher Broke Back Mountain would have been the mountain have had nipples like what would have happened in dul Schumacher Broke Back.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. Three amazing I mean, including only three amazing directors, three wildly different versions of this story. You'll beginning absolutely, I.
Speaker 4: Didn't didn't know about Pedro alma Jovar. I mean, that's just kind of mind boggling to contemplate the It's almost like, you know, because you know, he's a famous director of women, right, so it would have been maybe emphasis would have been if it's my version of the Almodovar Broke Back Mountain, it's all Alman Loreene and then the two.
Speaker 3: Men background, right, so and only ends up taking the role who I we've covered one other only. I mean, obviously I've seen a lot of his movies, but I think the only other only movie we've covered on the show is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I believe so. Yeah, but he had directed movies with queer characters before in the Wedding Banquet, but it is kind of a fascinating run of movies Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hulk, Broke Back Mountain. That is range sense of sensibility, sentence, sensibility before that, yes, but going from Hulk to Broke Back Mountain is kind of incredible, right.
Speaker 2: Well, he was kind of he was in the middle of debating retiring from the film industry. He's like, I made a few movies that were exhausting, and I want to quit. And he had been approached to direct Broke Back Mountain, and initially he was like, I'm so tired. But then he reconsidered and he decided to give it a go, and he tried to get financing, which was, as you can imagine, a struggle at first. People were not interested in financing a film like this typically, But then he eventually met a producer who had a partnership with Focused Features and they stepped in to finance the film and Onley was attached as a director. There were more castings, but then Heath Ledger and Jake Jillenhall were both really enthusiastic about the script and their characters, and they were cast. Obviously, it has been criticized the casting of two straight actors to portray these characters, and that is fair. That was far more common at the time. We have seen more of a shift in casting queer actors to play queer characters, but for a very long time, it was the standard to cast SIS had actors to play queer characters.
Speaker 3: It was pretty normalized up until like even in the last when did Carol come out? I mean that was the last time I remember really seeing that conversation, and I know we discussed it when we talked about Carol and the show years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there are some examples even after that, especially of SIS actors playing trans characters, because that was a conversation that was still being regularly had up and till like the late twenty tens, maybe even into the twenty twenties. Yeah. And then the last thing I want to say about the like you know, production and development and casting and stuff like that was the marketing of this film. I don't know much about it, but the one thing that I did make note of is that the poster for this film was heavily influenced by Titanic nineteen ninety seven. And then when you do a side by side comparison, you're like, oh.
Speaker 3: That's actually so true. Wow, Wow, two tragic love stories.
Speaker 2: Yep, wow.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. And now once you see it, you cannot unsee it.
Speaker 2: You simply cannot. I'd love to go back to talking about the wives. Yes, Matthew, you you talk about this in your book, about how Alma and Loreene's labor make it possible for their husbands to go off on all of these fishing trips, and how their labor is pretty wildly underappreciated by their husbands. Again, I forgot how much class and labor plays into this story, as does some misogyny of the characters. I'm thinking about a scene where Enis is supposed to be taking care of his two small daughters, but he drops them off at Alma's workplace at the grocery store while she is working because he has to tend to something with his job and He's like, well, my thing is more important. So woman, you take care of the children even though you're working. Also, I have to go do my work. That scene really struck me. There's another scene where Ennis and Alma are screaming at each other because she had agreed to pick up another shift at work because they need the money because he's always running off to go on fishing trips, and Enis is furious. He wants her to stay home and serve dinner, but she defiantly leaves, saying like, I need to work to help support this family. So just a few moments that I didn't really clock the first time I watched this movie. And then also, I think the first time I watched this movie, I remember thinking, I confess that I viewed Alma not as a villain necessarily, but as an obstacle or kind of like a foil to Ennis and Jack's relationship. I was sort of like, leave him alone, let him be in love with Jack. Twist, because there's that scene where she confronts him after Thanksgiving dinner. She says like, you know, I thought you were going fishing, but then you never brought back any fish. And then I looked in your fishing box and all the equipment had never been used, and then he reacts with violence because she has clocked the situation accurately. I remember thinking at the time, I was like, oh, like, she's a foil to this relationship. Watching it this time around, I was way more empathetic to her character because all she's asking for is like honesty and transparency in their marriage, which she had done throughout, which she was never able to get. So I'm like, oh, of course, Like I absolutely understand her frustration, but then you also understand why Ennis is withholding information. Yes, he is cheating on her in a monogamous relationship, but he can't be honest about his sexuality in a time and place such as this, or at least there's great risk associated with him being honest about it. But either way, I was way more empathetic to Almah's circumstances on this watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you know, one of the things that you know it has to be sort of seen as implied but not explicitly are articulate them in the film, you know, sort of works in subtle ways in this regard is that classes in here, and there's very sort of you know, important ways both Jack and Ennis, you know, sort of are but the very bottom of the sort of ranking of social prestige around labor, you know. And and famously, you know, the film is called the gay Cowboy Movie. And then you know, one of the things remarkable about it, and this is very much in the pool story and the film. They're not even cowboys. They can care of sheep, you know, I mean, they're.
Speaker 6: Sometimes and it doesn't even have I mean the landscape is that to be of the sort of West, but the sort of prestige of them being these kind of cowboy figures, you know, in a certain sense is diminished.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, the West is now no longer the space of cowboys. It's the space of a certain kind of you know, grunt labor that's not particularly glamorous or dignified. So there's that with class. But then to come to the topic of the women, I think the class ordinances get even more explicit, which is that you know, Alma works in the in the supermarket, trying to make ends meet around this sort of occasional labor that Enna seems to do. And then Loreene, you know, is attached to uh sort of her father's business and it's a successful business. And the film really and I love the way that the film builds out from what little there is in the short sort of fiction. But Lorene's this really interesting figure. You know, she's she's in the rodeo, she knows how to dance, She's really all got a social life, and she is making this business happen. And that in a certain sense, Jack has married up in that particular sort of organization of a social prestige. And there comes a point in which she's kind of not really all that worried about what he's up to on the fishing trips because she has her own life in a way that Alma is still reliant on, you know, on ns is sort of unreliable as he seems to be. And then you know the other thing, and I want to come back a little bit too. What you were talking about a moment ago, Kaylin, in terms of the fantasy statements is in this film, and this is very cinematic. This is where I think the film really sort of can handle because it's on the visual sort of score here. And this is description of the shock of violence of the murdered figures from his childhood and implication that his father is a participant in this film level, whether he is the murderer or simply, you know, sort of showing his child that this kind of violence is possible and to be respected perversely. And then the second fantasy, which I think is just really an amazing piece of filmmaking, of the conversation between Ennis and Loreene, who you know, in narratively, if you kind of piece it out, you figure out this is the first time they've actually ever had to talk to each other, and the class ordinances get even more sort of complicated. And part of it is that the beauty of the editing and that sequence, the heartbreaking editing, is both of them know what each other thinks of the other because of the figure of Jack, who is gone, and both of them are creating this conversation, the last sort of you know, conversation about Jack, this thing on the telephone, about the meaning of it or the circumstances of Jack's death, on Loreen saying well, the official explanation we will agree upon is there was an accident on the roadside. And then this sort of you know, then momentary fantasy of you he was murdered. This was a scene of queer violence, and that this is you know, in a certain sense, getting into Ennis's head, but also understanding you know, and the context of what's going on in sort of Ennis's mind through this conversation, you know, with Loreen. And I think that that is has a has a kind of class to mention to it, which is I think that there's a way that he kind of realizes that Loreene lives in a world of sort of you know, wealth and material comfort in a way that you know he never will, and that the strange connection through Jack, you know, is about him realizing Jack had that life of living with someone that he Jack had proposed to Ennis. Jack had that with Loreene fraud as it might have been, because you know, her family's not ideal by any means, but that that comfort was there, that wealth was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anne Hathaway's performance in that scene is also so stunning to me because there are a couple of moments where when Ennis makes a reference to his relationship with Jack and it's all very you know, like codd where it's like, oh, yeah, we met that time on broke Back Mountain summer of sixty three, where we just hearted sheep and nothing else, and it's implied that she knows exactly what that means and what happened there, and you see her give a little like.
Speaker 3: Like a whimper.
Speaker 2: She's like suppressing crying because she knows who Ennis is to Jack. And then she does it again a second time when he makes another reference to him and Jack's connection without being explicit about who they actually were to each other, but just saying something about their friendship, and she whimpers again, and it's just like, oh that, like that performance just it blew me away.
Speaker 3: It gets back to what you're saying about you about like the conversations without words that happen at so many points like that, what can't be expressed by the characters that is like physically seeping out in their performances is like it's just it's unreal. Yeah. I think I also sort of did not remember how crucial class is to the whole story, but also specifically the women's stories. On the reread of the short story. Yeah, there's there's not too much on the page about them, and I really appreciated how it felt like they were. These characters were built out, first of all in like a very sympathetic and grounded way, but also in a way that really distinguishes them from one another, even though obviously they have so much in common. Was weirdly thinking about how if you flip it and then move the timeline ahead just fifty years, it's Grace and Frankie. That's another story though, But that Alma and Loreene, they both have their own distinct personalities, but that Loreene in some ways, you know, has the financial ability to move on in a way that Alma never does, and in a way that I think women in this place at this time would have been more beholden to a marriage. There's always going to be the stigma that comes with divorce, you know, really at any time, but certainly in the sixties and seventies. But that Loreen, we know she has the ability to move on financially, she has the support where Alma you know, sort of needs to. And it's lovely that it seems like she moves into a relationship that is positive for her. I mean, and on this rewatch, the second you see the grocery store manager, you know, be okay with all the glass being knocked down, You're like, there's the guy. It's like such a well directed moment. He has a little crush on her. Yeah, it was like, oh, yeah, your boss doesn't mind if you broke the whole store, whole inventory. Yeah, he's interested, but I I it does make me happy for her to some extent, But it also means, you know, like Alma's not living at a time or within a socioeconomic class where she can really consider being fully independent, where Loreene sort of has more leeway, and and seeing how class affects obviously Jack and Ennis as well. And moment that stuck out to me on this viewing was after Loreene has their baby, how immediately dismissive her parents are of Jack. They're calling him rodeo and hyperfixating on Loreene and the baby. It is so clear that he is incidental to them, He is not important. Oh yeah, and just sort of watching all of these like tiny fractures and structures being built in trying to, you know, sort of keep this relationship at least functioning. It's done very subtly, but if you're looking for it, it is like so crucial to the story.
Speaker 2: And then a scene that follows that between Jack and his father in law is the Thanksgiving scene where they're basically doing a dick measuring contest about who has more power in this situation where the father in law is like, oh, your boys should watch football if you want him to be a man when he grows up, and Jack is just like, fuck you, this is my house, my rules. Loreene spent a lot of time and effort preparing this meal, so we're gonna appreciate it without being distracted by a football game. And eventually, I mean, you could argue that like Jack exercises his enough masculinity over the situation that he defeats the other like masculine boy man of the scene and masculine boy man awesome, thank you. I will be saying that every day from now on. But because I mean, a lot has been written about this movie in its relation to the setting, the genre of Western, the implications of masculinity therein where including you, Matthew, you know in your book you talk about how like, you know, the rugged, stoic cowboy character that is the center of the Western genre and is like, you know, the embodiment of the masculine ideal for what a man is quote unquote supposed to be, especially an American man, has been present throughout cinema history. But also there have been homo erotic undertones present within this genre, but that Broke Back Mountain was one of the first films to bring that homo eroticism to text rather than subtext.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Now, one of the things that's remarkable about how this film is trying to work on its topic of this particular version of white American masculinity in this genre of the Western, is that the Western, which paradoxically only becomes a kind of afterculture genre right at the moment in which the idea that the Western has about the West has concluded. The American frontier has in a certain sense been enclosed, and so the expansive, utopian sort of idea of it around eighteen ninety to nineteen hundred is the demise of actual cowboys as these kinds of sort of you know, mythical figures. But then the Western takes off many critics, and especially James Hompkins, whose wonderful book West of Everything is really worth finding, The Western takes off, especially just by coincidence or maybe not, but because cinema is taking off at the exact same moment, and so the Western becomes this very kind of American project to in a certain sense keep this narrative going, even though the historical circumstances of the actual West have concluded. The center of that genre is this particular idea of a man of a cisgender man. And what makes this person the hero that they might be, And it's that thing that you know, we were talking about, you know, earlier, what makes him heroic is that he doesn't need language. He stands outside of society and he doesn't need human sort of language. And then the second part, and this is where the homo erotics come into it, is but at the same time, this fantasy of the American West is populated largely by men, and that sort of women are seen as sort of associated with civilization and all of the kinds of obnoxious encroachments on male freedom. And this comes up again and again in Western films. And so one of the things that's remarkable about Broke Back Mountain is it takes all the pre existing ingredients of the Western and then it tweaks them enough for us to see them in a different light. And it's this thing about you know, on the one hand, you know, I'll make the assertion that we want Jack to succeed in a certain sense because there's a certain kind of openness to experience that he has, and he's you know, adventurous in a way that Ennis is not. But the real hero in a conventional sense of the Western is ns who doesn't like language and has no use for society and kind of just kind of just does what he wants. And then you know, the irony is it's like, is Ennis really any kind of hero? You know? You know, he he turns down the new possibility of a shared life with someone he seems to care about, which is this idea that Jack has that they'll go off and live together. And so the film puts you in this awkward position of trying to, on the one hand, know that you should identify with Ms as this kind of American hero, and on the other hand see him as really really disappointing as any kind of role model for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that acting out these masculine tropes really only brings suffering to the history. Yeah, And that where we leave him at the end is just like in the most tortured place, and we don't really know, I mean, and we're not meant to know is he ever going to move through or past this? It seems like I mean, we'd end with a shirt in the closet, So, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I once had a friend say to me, it's like, well, you know, Jack is gone, but and it's actually still has something left of his life. And this friend said, I have a fantasy that he just gets the hell out of there finally and he moves to San Francisco.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: I want him, yes, but I do also then when I can double back on something you mentioned earlier, which is that, you know, this sort of erotics between these two men is so much about repression, but repression as something that produces something else, and the sort of first parting scene when they leave the mountain results and them having this you know, this this fist fight. They attack each other, and there's this idea it's like, do they not know how to you know, embrace or say something of mere kindness to each other? And the answer is no, they have no language except for for physical you know, violence, and that you know, the thing about it is that that repression is productive of violence in this particular version of masculinity in a way that you know, what we want to see is that it could be repression could be productive of a new kind of sexuality and a new kind of shared life that the film is just kind of glimpsing at that doesn't sort of open the possibility to which is the way I think, you know, you end up having a heartbroken over and over again by watching this movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just they don't have the tools they need to be able to communicate with each other. Another seed that out to me with especially like with regards to how masculinity is. Like I think it's like another scene where Ennis is doing what he thinks is necessary and it causes discomfort. It's the scene where they're at the fireworks at Alma and Ennis bringing the girls to see fireworks. There are some drunk guys doing drunk n PC dialogue behind them, being like that guy you know probably it doesn't even like them.
Speaker 2: They're being very wildly misogynistic, and.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean they're they're being assholes, no doubt about it. But Ennis almost provokes a fight with them in front of his family, which clearly is distressing and upsetting to everyone. And it's I think just another example of Ennis, you know, doing what he thinks quote unquote a masculine Western guy should do. He's doing the cowboys. He's defending his family, don't talk about my wife that way, all that stuff. He's defending his own masculinity, which we know he is constantly calling into question, but it doesn't produce the victorious moment we're trained to sort of expect from there. It's not like a hero beating down a bully. It's just this. It's this tense, uncomfortable moment that Alma doesn't seem particularly happy about. It breaks the kids out, and even Ennis, I don't know. This is just my like I guess interpretation of the performance, but even in that moment, it doesn't feel like the character is even sure of what he's doing. It just feels like, this, this is what I'm supposed to do. And that's you know, at the core of so much of NS. His behavior is like performing masculinity because he thinks that that's what he's supposed to do and that it's what will keep him and his family safe, even though it is just a corrosive force. And we learn why that is from the flashback with his dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love to talk about the cultural impact of the movie, especially at the time and the media landscape, and just like the cultural landscape that this came out in, because I mean, this movie is largely considered a pretty pivotal moment in queer cinema in the sense that it centers a queer love story that entered the mainstream. It was critically acclaimed, and it was a huge box office success. There were not a lot of examples of a movie that fit those criteria prior to Brokeback Mountain, and so it paved the way for more representation of queer characters and queer love stories on screen. It started to normalize that as a narrative vehicle, at least stories that feature white, CIS queer characters. But yeah, I just I you know, the general cultural landscape at the time in two thousand and five, I mean, this was in the middle of George W. Bush's presidency, where like homophobia was part of his platform, This was an era where in the media mostly queer representation was obscenely homophobic jokes in raunchy comedies. The best you might get would be a trophy character like you know, a gay best friend or you know, the hairdresser or something like that in a film, very stereotypical roles, and society at large was just like was very homophobic, and so this movie coming out and being the success that it was, like represents a cultural shift or you know, kind of a turning point. But also there was a lot of conservative backlash to this movie. There was a lot of jokes made at this movie's expense. Many of them were extremely not tasteful and were punching down.
Speaker 3: And Heath Ledger, I mean to the point where Heath Ledger there's like an anecdote that resurvices about him every so often that he refused to appear on any like awards broadcast during the promotion cycle for this movie that featured homophobic jokes. He like would not appear. I mean, he I think refused to present at the two thousand and six Oscars for this reason because he caught win that there was going to be a homophobic joke at broke Back's expense in the opening. So yeah, you know, shout out to him there. But it's again like this, even when there was this massive moment for queer cinema breaking into the mainstream, the movie and its fans then had to deal with how America always spoke about queer people after that, and with you know, it's like relatively little pushback, which is why that heat Ledger anecdote stands out well.
Speaker 4: I think in terms of the you know, the sort of sense of the impact of the film, both in the moment of its appearance and then kind of in the long life that it's had, you know, twenty years later. Well, one of the things I become ever more sort of aware of is that the sort of culture of cinema in the past two decades has changed so much inasmuch as we live in such a mosaic media environment now that the idea of a big movie like this kind of grabbing the attention of lots of people simultaneously, you know, seems almost impossible. I say almost because then I think about something like Barbie, which is whole other podcast episode, but.
Speaker 2: It's much less common than like monoculture doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 4: Really, No, that's right, And so you know, it's hard to in a certain sense remind ourselves that you know that this was in a cinema culture of you know, going to the cinem This is where you know, you had to wait six months before something came out on DVD in order to do a home viewing, and you know that there was an event of going to see a movie like this at the theater, and then you know, word of mouth built, and then there became this kind of endless kind of you know, and I do say, I mean, I think it built out a more nuanced popular audience's ability to talk about a film like this without immediately just resorting to homophobic tropes. I mean, those are available, but I think that it also opened up a lot of people's sort of imagination to sort of say, this is a really interesting film. It doesn't hand me the tools just simply you know, insult these people, especially these two men, which I think, you know, really means a lot in its moment. And then the other thing is that you know, you'd mentioned that, you know, it was nominated but didn't win, in this case, the Academy Award for Picture that year. Crash one Crash has not gone on to have anywhere near those the sort of monument mental stature that Broke Back Mountain has, I mean, not at.
Speaker 3: All sub zero. I feel like it's honestly most famous for the fact that it like could have stole so many you know, oscars from superior movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I attribute that to basically and I'll be a little bit mean spirited here, but basically kind of go to the kind of the white male liberal politics in the Academy was basically sort of like more invested in idea of race politics that were available in Crash than they were in the more nuanced and subtle and actually radical politic that a film like Broke Back Mountain, which offers ambiguity and subtlety and you know, all of this complexity that I think have only more so built Broke Back Mountain's sense of importance in the kind of cinematic culture.
Speaker 3: No, we definitely needed the movie that was written and directed by a since canceled scientologist that was that was the movie that should have So it's so wild to look that gud.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But you know, there's a funny thing about this film that really is always fascinating me, which is that in China and the PRC, Broke Back Mountain came out at the moment in which the gray market cinema sort of economy was developing around book like copies of non Chinese films come back disc on the DVD, and this was a hugely important film in China for the distribution illegal because the government prohibited it because of its perceived on tolerance of dissident sexualities. But that reports and I trust them largely because some of my students from China said, oh yeah, like my mom love Broke Back Mountain and we had a copy of it, you know, at home. That because you could buy these things in you know, like I say, the gray market economy, and that part of the appeal of Broke Back Mountain is that it is literally a global piece of filmmaking in as much as audiences in lots of different places that I still don't know enough about did things with in order to sort of embrace this film. And it's, like I say, it's interesting ambiguity and complexity, and what my sense of the kind of one of the reading formations along Chinese audiences was that the film is an allegory about conformism and individuality, and that it's about asking what price does a person pay in order not to have a life that they want to lead credit in independence, and that this sort of resonates very strongly with audiences in that context. And I love that that sense of yeah, this is a subtle work of art that can handle a lot of sort of multiple interpretations and never resolve them in a way that Let's be honest, I don't think Crash really holds up that well.
Speaker 3: No, I haven't seen it, but I can't imagine it. You don't need to, Okay, Okay, it doesn't seem worth worth the squeeze I I was. I also, I didn't do enough of a deep dive on it. But I think that yeah, Onlee's connection to the material and how this was received because only is Taiwanese. He has said many times that even though you know, he's made movies that take place in England and in this case, I mean, it's hard to find a more white American working class setting than where we are, but that all of his movies are connected to Taiwan and to who he is, and that is how he chooses the stories that he adapts. I would be curious to hear how Hulk ties in there, But that's not the conversation for today. But but that when when he you know, won an Oscar, that the way that even on Li has talked about in China is very particular and heavily censored. Where he was celebrated in China for being like like, look at this Oscar winning director, with the caveat that all references to both Taiwan and Queerness were removed from his acceptance speech. I don't know how long of an acceptance speech that leaves you with. I think it just sort of leaves you with a sentence but thank you bye, right, hello, and it's a lovely speech. But I wanted to mention that as well, that you know, Onley has had a really fascinating life and career that we don't really have the bandwith to talk about in its entirety in this episode. But the international reception of this movie is not just in connection to the theme, but in connection to the director.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whate thing. I'll also say I can just add on in terms of this topic of the genre of itself, is that one of the brilliant things that Onley did not only him, but he recruited a great cinematographer, on Diego on piare Troll to photograph this film, and that one of the things that you know, it's so fascinating about this movie is that it is usually ravishing in terms of its sense of the American weft. You know, there's this way you know that's been talked about, is that the landscape is one of the characters in the movie, and the landscape is in that face of in the in the context of the lack of language among the sort of you know, human actors, that the world is expressing something about what's going on. You know, it has this kind of presence, and that the Pietro photographs these in a sort of lush I mean, they're just magnificent. You just you want to sort of stop the image of the like, you know, just look at it in terms of its beauty. And that he does this in multiple layers of both distance photography and the opening shot across them towards the mountain range kind of this sort of you know, place of longing and yearning that we'll learn about, and then up close when you have these beautiful sort of senses of the landscape is the layers of trees and green an animals, and that that's really necessary in order to not just have this become this very claustrophobic domestic drama, but really why these characters want to go to, you know, the natural world is to escape this enclosure inside you know, those households that do feel very very enclosed. And then there's trope of especially Ennu's like looking out of windows trying to find his escape, you know, to to those vistas. That's really important. And I think if if that hadn't been achieved in this film, in terms of that sense of the visual presence of the landscape as an expression of something about the erotic, I don't think the film would have been quite as sort of a thing that it does. That it turned into.
Speaker 3: It's so beautiful. I love how he uses like I don't know, it's hard to think of a movie that more like intentionally uses distance and close like. It's just it's gorgeous. And as with a lot of great movies about America, it is shot in Canada, which I always find delightful. You're just like that, right as far as movies are concerned, New York is Vancouver, Wyoming is Alberta. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Does anyone have any other thoughts about the film?
Speaker 4: The last thing I'll say, in terms of just shout outs for all you know the talent involved, is that this also does this very you know, it takes a budget to do this in any kind of filmmaking anymore. Which is it has its scored, It has this gorgeous score that wants actually you know, the Guestago Santo Alalo score which won many awards. Rightly so, because part of this thing that we're describing in terms of this just you know, emotional intensity is because of that lack of lack of language that you know we've been talking about gets articulated musically, and that that score is basically booming, you know, with these emotions at these moments of heartbreak or rapture. And again, much like the Piatro cinematography, you know, if you were to take that score away, it'd be a really interesting experiment to kind of go emotionally what happens to this film? What happens to this story?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and that we've talked about this so many times on this show. But this is yet another example of the film industry in Hollywood specifically insisting that there isn't an audience for this movie because it's about marginalized people. And how many I mean this add this to the list of examples that has wildly proven this wrong. God, I mean, how many this movie made its budget back like fifteen times or something like that. And we hear that every time there's a movie that is too centered around women too, centered around people of color. I mean, that's the whole story around the production of Black Panther and so many other movies that are extremely successful and well regarded. And it's because these are movies that actually got you know, reasonable budgets and marketing campaigns. It's the you know, you don't need us to tell you. If you're listening to the show, you probably agree, but that it's so infrequent that movies that center marginalized people in any way receive the support that they deserve. And when they do receive that support, and sometimes when they don't, they find their audience because the audience is very much there, and.
Speaker 2: Even when they do extremely well at the box office, like Broke Back Mountain did, Hollywood will still be like that was a fluke, that was an accident. We can't make any movies like that.
Speaker 4: Again, it always seems to be an anomaly, right, Who know that this might at sixteen? Right? I think?
Speaker 3: Well, even speaking to your point with Barbie Matthew, it's like the takeaway from there is we need to make more movies around toy is not that people are interested in a diverse cast of women, right right, right?
Speaker 2: I mean also worth noting that after the accolades that Broke Back Mountain received, the next queer centered story to receive a major Academy award was in twenty seventeen, when Moonlight won for Best Picture. So over a decade had passed before and there was any like Academy Award attention for a queer story, And in.
Speaker 3: That context, it really even It turns the fake out for Best Picture even more charged. If La La Land was about to once again take the oscar from that's right, I know.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like, oh no, another crash moments.
Speaker 3: And thankfully it did not go that way. But oh, Caitlin, I remember we were together that night. Never forget where you were. Oh my gosh, we were at your friend from grad schools apartment.
Speaker 2: What a night that was, truly.
Speaker 3: Anyways, and you know, does Moonlight win without the success of Broke Back Mountain proving that queer stories you deserve the backing of studios, I don't know. It seems like Broke Back Mountain definitely has a massive place in the history of American core cinema. Yeah, and that's a I think. You know, Onley unquestionably has made a gorgeous movie here, And I did notice this is the first time I'd really gotten into the production history. How many queer directors almost directed this movie and then didn't. And well, nothing takes anything away from angle. I think that that is kind of a shame that there were at least two very famous queer directors who really wanted to make this movie and were not able to get to the finish line with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, does this movie pass the Bechdel test? I don't say no.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's a scene in which two women talk to each.
Speaker 3: Other, thinks So I think that this is rectified by Grayson Frankie eventually, Grayce and Frankie is about Alma and Loreene moving in together in a world war, Jack and Ennis get together and then they form a beautiful, fun family.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Yes, But similar to the discussion that was happening around Fire Ireland a few years ago, the Bechdel test is not It's not relevant here, and it doesn't need to be applied to every movie, especially when it's a movie that's doing so much else.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think it kind of to some degree, and only our dear friend Alison Bechdel could tell us for sure. But to say that this movie is any less wonderful because it doesn't pass the Bechdel Test flies in the face of the part of the Bechdel Test that people are less aware of, which is that it began as a commentary on how there is no queer representation in movies. So it's I think, kind of antithetical. You know, it doesn't pass the mainstream version, but I think in some senses, you know, spiritually, it holds true to the reason that the joke existed in the first place, which is that there was almost never queer characters that were actually canonically queer on screen.
Speaker 2: So, right, you could interpret the Bechdel test as is there explicit queer representation on screen totally of characters that we don't have to ship together, in which case, yes, Broke Back Mountain does pass the Bechdel test.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, again I'm going to start doing this on the show, like if you do a cursory. I mean, the amount of fan fiction written about Jack and Ennis is just overwhelming, overwhelming, to the point where I think at one point Annie Poole a little grumpily was like, people need to stop writing to me about what they think should have happened, okayo, fair enough, but also evil love it of evil one, you know, I think it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: And then that brings us to our nipple scale, where we rate the movie on a scale of zero to five nipples. Examining it through an intersectional feminist lens, it is tough. But because the movie examines masculinity in the prison therein and its effect on people, and the repression that it leads to and the torment that that repression leads to, and the fact that it was a significant milestone in queer cinema. Is it a perfect film, Perhaps not, but it did do so much to pave the way for more inclusive and just more representation in general. Does it focus on CIS white characters, Yes, but that wouldn't be as much of an issue if there were plenty of other movies that centered a diverse array of identities within the queer community. But even today, there aren't that many options, and certainly not in mainstream cinema. You really have to dig for them usually. But because of the cultural impact this movie did have on queer cinema and American cinema in general, I'll give it.
Speaker 3: Like three and a half or four nipples.
Speaker 2: Does that sound nuts to your decision? That's so true your decision. I'm gonna do three and a half. I'll give them to I'll distribute them between only the screenwriters and any proul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'll go. I'll go three and a half or four. I can't really decide, and so I'm going to not to decide. But I think, you know, speaking to your point, Klyn, that the frustrations that I totally understand people may have with this movie, I think aren't necessarily criticisms of them, or to me, aren't criticisms as much of the movie as of what Hollywood is willing to finance and elevate versus what it is. Not sure, I think that this story, I appreciate that it is very it seems very intentionally written. Where, when and who it's about. Going back to the original short story, that this movie is entrenched in the white working class masculinity of this place and this time that is not incidental to the story, and that Annie Poole is commenting on it, and I think to some extent the movie is commenting on it pretty extensively, less so on whiteness. We are sort of presented with a white actor void, I think, as we are in many movies, but most of these elements are pretty thoroughly commented on. I think that especially in the moment that this movie was released, the fact that it was as difficult as it was to get a movie with a queer couple at its center released, it almost feels like the movie how I hope I'm articulating this correctly, that often when seeing marginalized identity represented, it's starting at almost the most easy difficulty level to do so, which is having famous white actors do it and almost ideally prove that these are stories that people are eager to hear.
Speaker 2: It's like a proof of concept almost, which sucks because it's again this is a criticism of Hollywood, of like that we're so often told, well, there's no interest in anything except action movies starring.
Speaker 3: White CIS guys, right, like overgeneralizing there, but that any marginalized story has such a significant barrier to even being produced or seen that I think that that is why we often see famous CIS, white straight actors at the center of stories, and that ideally they're used as a successful template for more diverse stories to be told. I'm not saying that that is necessarily what happens, but I do sort of see Broke Back as a building block in more diverse queer cinema going mainstream in the years that followed. I hope that makes sense. Yeah, totally outside of I think, yeah, incredible in its cultural impact, and it's just a beautiful movie. It's so, so, so beautiful, and I think for two thousand and five for a movie to be so faithfully adapted and also expanded on, I love the ways that the movie expands on the source material really skillfully. Yeah, really beautifully in a way that I think works great for our show because it a lot of it expands on giving the women more interiority and sympathy.
Speaker 7: Then there's like a space for in the original story.
Speaker 3: So I just it is beautiful. I guess I'm gonna I'm going to go three point seventy five because I'm feeling indecisive, and I will I will distribute it between on Leigh Larry McMurtrie, Diana Osana, and Annie Proul.
Speaker 2: Matthew, how about you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think in terms of getting it, you know, some kind of assessment around it being intersectionally, you know, having an intersectional feminism. I think what I would say is it's it comes at it kind of sideways in terms of having a kind of feminist critique that relates to other kinds of ideas. And we've talked about, you know, in terms of how it's racialized without sort of announcing that that's what it's working on. It has a class politics without necessarily announcing that that that's what it's you know, working on. And you know, there's this there's this way that I think about it in terms of an intersectional feminism, which is that one of the things I think is interesting about the film is that it's historical. It says, you know, nineteen sixty three to whatever nineteen sixty aid, but it's not nostalgic at all or any of that. And that that's one of the centerpieces of a lot of what I will call sort of reactionary popular culture. It's always like a you know, because that's part of the current conservative political formation, starting with Reaganism, that you know, in the present moment with trump Ism, it's let's go back to the past when it was better. This film does not do that at all, day right, And so part of it's what I would say sort of relationship to feminism is that, especially in relation to the women characters, that second wave feminism is literally just about to sort of emerged as a public discourse in nineteen sixty three, and it's so needed. It's sort of the film's not nostalgia. It's about the constraints around these women and the fact that a feminist political project that's about to emerge, and you know, with understandings that it's largely a white middle class of feminism and in the first iteration of the second wave, but that nevertheless that you know that it's about thinking about new kinds of possibilities for the lives of women, and that you know, the pathos of just takes a you know, Alma's situation is that she is left high and dry by some sort of disappearing on their marriage, and that you know, she has to take the initiative and basically sort of like figure out what's going to happen next because he he won't and that you know, in the utopian world, it would be like sort of like why must Alma be reliant on anyone to have the life that she would like to have to lead or Loreen. For that matter, she does rely on her father, who's you know, no role model of patriarchy, you know in you know particular you know fight at Thanksgiving God. So I think you know, yes, I'm with you. I'd say around three nipples would allow me to sort of say, I think that it's sort of inadvertent feminism still is a kind of intersectional feminism of sorts.
Speaker 2: Totally easly, Matthew, thank you so much for joining us. This has been such a wonderful conversation.
Speaker 4: Truly, Oh my pleasure. This has been a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Come back anytime, Yeah, truly, Yeah, bring another favorite.
Speaker 4: Well, if you haven't talked about Grey Gardens, I'm always up for that. I have.
Speaker 3: Somehow done that yet, So please come back.
Speaker 4: Sure, and I can do a plug in fact in regards to that, which is that a new edition of the Greg Gardens book has just come out from the British Film Institute. They asked me to update it. The first version came out in twenty twelve and they're doing a reissue of some of their top titles and so they asked me if I would revise it, and so I did. And largely what I do is put the new version that just came out in the context of drag culture and thinking about Grey Gardens, Is this like having this presence film in sort of drag performativity now, which it didn't as much in twenty twelve?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, please come back for Grey Gardens. That would be a blast.
Speaker 4: Yes, please, I would love that anytime.
Speaker 3: Wonderful.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you'd like to plug in addition to note that's it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just look for Grey Gardens and it has a beautiful new cover of the I mean covers. Yeah, what's the big deal. When the first version came out it was okay, And then for the re issue they said, would you like redesign? If you go google it, you can see the beautiful and elegant vision with little Edie on the cover. And I think it's much more loving and respectful of her than the first edition was.
Speaker 3: I remember the first edition clear, yeah, vividly. Oh this is wonderful.
Speaker 2: And let this be a lesson that sometimes you can judge a book by its cover.
Speaker 3: People do, whether whether we like it or not. Unfortunately, Yeah, oh this is so wonderful. Thank you so much again for joining us, Matthew, my pleasure.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You can support us by joining our Patreon aka Matreon. It's five dollars a month that gets you access to two bonus episodes every single month, plus access to the back catalog of over two hundred bonus episodes, all for five dollars a month at patreon dot com slash Bechdel Cast and with that, shall we It's.
Speaker 3: Always hard to do a send off in a movie that ends tragically.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we just have to say we quit each other?
Speaker 3: And ye, shall we quit this?
Speaker 2: I wish I could quit this episode.
Speaker 3: By bye. The Bechdel Cast is a production of iHeartMedia, hosted and produced by Me Jamie Loftus and.
Speaker 2: Me Caitlyn Durrante. The podcast is also produced by Sophie Lichtermann and.
Speaker 7: Edited by Caitlyn Durrante. Ever heard of them? That's me and our logo and merch and all of our artwork in fact are designed by Jamie Loftis, Ever heard of her?
Speaker 3: Oh my God? And our theme song, by the way, was composed by Mike Kaplan.
Speaker 2: With vocals by Katherine Voskrasinski.
Speaker 3: Iconic and a special thanks to the one and only Aristotle Ascevero.
Speaker 2: For more information about the podcast, please visit linktree Slash Bechdel Cast