Speaker 1: This is Tom rowlans Reese and you're listening to Switched on the podcast brought to you by Bloomberg and ef Mexico is one of the world's most strategically positioned economies. As the second largest economy in Latin America and a critical link in North American supply chains, the country's energy transition has implications well beyond its borders. That importance comes at a pivotal moment. The new administration is opening the door to greater private investment in the power sector after years of subdued activity, while broader reforms aim to accelerate the deployment of clean energy, storage and grid infrastructure. At the same time, negotiations over the US Mexico Canada Agreement, shifting trade relationships, and Mexico's reliance on imported US natural gas are reshaping the country's strategic options. The result is a country balancing competing priorities, attracting investment while navigating geopolitical pressure, expanding clean energy while strengthening energy security, and building on its position as a manufacturing hub for technologies ranging from electric vehicles to transformers. So why does Mexico mats out to the energy transition now and what opportunities are emerging as the country reshapes its energy system. On today's show, I'm joined by member BNF Latin America team associates Stefan Moti, and together we review findings from his note Mexico Transition Factbook twenty twenty six. NF clients can find this and related research by heading to BNF go on the Bloomberg terminal or BNEF dot com. If we'd like to learn more about how BNIF approaches strategy research on the energy transition, including developments in commodity markets, trends across different sectors, and the cross cutting technology shaping in the future, can find more information on BNF dot com. And if you'd like to speak with the member of our team about becoming a client, email us at Sales dot BNF at Bloomberg dot net. But for now, let's unpack the opportunities and trade offs shaping Mexico's energy future. Stephab, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So perhaps a good starting point is just to really establish actually that we shouldn't be overlooking Mexico and its role in the energy transition or its potential role in the energy transition. Could you just explain to us, you know why you're doing research on Mexico, why Mexico is important for us to be talking about.
Speaker 2: Great Tom, good morning, Great to be here with you. So to start off, let's say Mexico is the second largest economy in Latin America, so it's not just one more country. It's got a consumer market of over one hundred and thirty million people. It's heavily integrated into North American supply chains. It's a key provider to the United States of items like electric vehicles and transformers, among others. It's key to Trump's geopolitical strategies of this fortress North America concept. It's called a lot of interest from Chinese investors, but also from European investors. You know, long story short, it's an attractive economy and the timing is essential. Right, Mexico has come through a few years of relatively slow investment to now a moment where it's enacting numerous reforms, specifically in the energy sector, and kind of peaking investor interest once again. You know, things are expected to turn around. Despite the general economic numbers not being fantastic right now, the outlook itself is becoming much better based on the outreach that the government is currently undertaking with the private sector. So again we have scale and we have timing.
Speaker 1: This is interesting, I mean what you mentioned, I mean, as you mentioned, scale is a big part of it, but it's also sudden you mentioned is actually the kind of significant positioning of Mexico both as yeah, like it's big, so it has emissions, it has a market, it matters, but it also supplies a lot of equipment and is an investment opportunity. And I think the thing that was really interesting is so much of what we've been talking about when we're talking about the kind of the global energy transition is the increased fragmentation of the world, and particularly along a sort of a US China axis if you want to call it that, with maybe Europe floating around looking for its own significance. And here we described Mexico, which correct me if I'm wrong, has a server of history of non alignment or relative non alignment. All three of those kind of blocks are looking to be involved in Mexico and be involved in the energy transition in Mexico in different ways. It's not a fair way of stating it. And you know what's some of the nuances to that dynamic.
Speaker 2: That's not a great question, Tom, and I think it's a correct framing. Mexico has historically followed, you know, a political strategy and international political strategy of non alignment. However, it can't really shake off the fact that, you know, it is right just south of the United States, right, it has this very powerful neighbor that often casts a shadow on it in that sense. You know, Mexico, especially in the nineties, you know, with the first NAFTA agreement, the North American Free Trade Agreement, decided that you know's its future was in this capitalist block was oriented towards the United States, and it really did a lot of work in both opening its own market, which has historically been relatively open, but also integrating supply chains. Right, so you do have the Makiladas, those assembly factory models near the border with the United States. You have you know, lots of road and rail connections, and you have markets that are just really very very integrated. In the assembly process of car parts are going back and forth from the back and forth from one side of the border to the other multiple times before you have a finished vehicle. So in that sense, Mexico is kind of tied to the United States and is therefore sometimes subject to the whims of whoever is occupying the White House in Washington currently. Of course, this happens to be someone that's not so open to a Chinese presence in Latin America. As you know, this has pushed to look for alternatives to this dependence on the United States. So I think that's, you know, one of one of the big variables that we have here in that framing. You're, of course, as you said, it's kind of floating around looking for its own space. It's though historically always had a role to play in Latin America, whether it's kind of for linguistic or cultural reasons. But Spanish companies have always been present and active in Latin America. But anyway, Claudasheim Schambaum has had a more let's say, diplomatic approach to anyone who would like to invest in Mexico that would include Chinese players as well. We've seen Chinese players make in roads in evs, but then, for example, we had the United States pressure in Mexico to impose tariffs on Chinese evs. So again that shows the limits to the kinds of investment that can be attracted to the kind of presence that Chinese players can have in Mexico right now.
Speaker 1: So it seems like it's a unique cocktail of delicate considerations, both in terms of the domestic politics and the international positioning of Mexico. And so you've mentioned timing is a key thing of why we're talking about Mexico right now. So let's expand on that. So why are we at such a pivotal moment in Mexico as it relates to the energy transition.
Speaker 2: I'll mention two things related to timing. The first is just building off what we were just talking about the geopolitical aspects. So their United States Mexico Canada agreement is being renegotiated. Is supposed to be the first top level meeting for the renegotiation of the USMCA, right, And part of the reason why Mexico's Mexico's options are kind of limited when it comes to attracting Chinese investment is that it depends on a favorable renegotiation to be able to keep its long term plans the way they are. Trump has already indicated before that he intends to not renew the deal. That would mean that the deal goes into a kind of limbo, which requires annual renegotiations, so kicking the can down the road model rather than having a full framework. However, what that limbo will look like really does depend on how these negotiations go. It's a little hard for now to forecast how that's going to look. But the timing of that renegotiation means that Mexico's options in the short term are really limited in terms of looking for those alternatives. That's why it was kind of forced to accept that tariff hike on Chinese Chinese ev imports for example. Now, on the other side, we have good timing related to the energy sector reforms, so the fact that we're opening up a whole array of opportunities in the energy sector. So these reforms, they began in late twenty twenty four when Claudia Scheimaum became president, with constitutional reforms because this was a very closed sector historically, with a very heavy role for Mexico's state owned enterprises, both the utility cf which I already mentioned and Petronios Mexicanos better known as PEMICS, the national oil company. So the whole energy sector was basically built around these two companies. Now, after the constitutional reforms, we have a slight reduction in how strict the rules around them are. Not a disappearance. It's not not that these two companies are suddenly giving up their leading roles in the oil and gas and power markets. But we do have space opening up for private investment that was previously much more limited. So, based on these reforms, cf now has to have fifty four percent minimum share of power injected into the Mexican grid. However, you now have this forty six percent, which you can say is open for investment. It's more or less the share that was actually currently practiced in the market. However, since we do have forecasts for growth with these reforms, we have investment plans, we have these permitting processes being opened up for a private investment. We have a new mixed investment scheme whereby private developers partner with CFE on new clean power put we have the possibility of this the whole pie growing, including or maybe especially that forty six percent growing, because there will be some flexibility into how we define what CFI capacity is versus private capacity. So in that mixed investment scheme, for example, CFI will have a fifty four percent share of these projects, but that might be only on paper. The way the contracts might work, there will be a long term ppa and a guaranteed rate of return, after which the ownership of the project will revert to CFI. So this is a completely new paradigm from Mexico and it opens up a bunch of opportunities in solar, wind and maybe especially storage, which basically doesn't exist in the country now. It's a very minimal, minimal capacity that's currently operating, but that in the medium term even should be growing quite quickly. Part of the reason why is that storage will now be mandatory with new solar and wind assets. So the share that they're talking about is about thirty percent of storage capacity will be mandatory. So if you have a you know, one hundred megawatt solar plan, you need to include thirty megawatts of storage minimum three hours, So we're talking about ninety megawat hours of storage for a project of that size for example.
Speaker 1: One thing that's kind of interesting hearing you say this, and this is I'm saying this is someone who's based in the US and a lot of Therefore, my worldview on the power sector is shaped by the US, even if I'm not from there. And in the US, the big thing that is a headache, well, well one of many big headaches, but one of them is the planning and regulatory forms. From what you're saying, it sounds like in Mexico with these reforms, what has proved to be a really difficult problem to solve politically In the US, with these reforms, Mexico seems to have like breezed through and just been all right, that doesn't seem to be a problem. And I was just wondering, is that because your starting point has been something that's so centralized, you know, with one state utility and so you don't have a thousand stakeholders getting in the way, Or is it that actually maybe these those challenges will exist, but we haven't encountered them yet, you know, with long cues to get connected to the grid. I mean, do you do you have a view on how effective these reforms will be.
Speaker 2: That's actually a better framing, Tom, I'd say, when you use the word breeze through, or use of the phraseer breezed through, but the truth is that it's still an ongoing process. I began the explanation there by speaking about the constitutional reform. But the truth is that again, that was October twenty twenty four and we're now in July twenty twenty six, and there are still things that are that are taking shape. However, most of the main laws and regulations that had to be published after the constitutional reforms have been published. It's taken you know, about a year and a half to get through that. But the truth is there's still some details missing, i'd say, especially when it comes to some of the storage regulations. But let's go through it a little so so the listeners can have a bit of an idea of what came after the constitution reform. So there was a new power sector law, which you know, had all the general orientations there. There was a new law governing the National Energy Commission c and E, which is the new regulatory agency. It is still a pretty centralized agency. I think that point Tom, I think was correct. It makes it a little easier when you know you can cut through a lot of those stakeholders when it is you know, one main utility that's controlling most of the generation expansion, you can open space for other players a little more easily. However, you know, CNE because it's so centralized. It's also kind of opaque, so decision making is not that clear, but there is a law governing how they're supposed to make decisions, so that does help. They published permitting rules for self generation projects, so they're also you know, looking at those smaller capacities. They got permitting rules for generation and storage set. They published also their kind of binding planning law, which you know, basically force them to publish a power sector development plan known as PLADESI in Spanish. This document basically has planning through twenty thirty nine, you know, how generation will expand how transmission will expand what they have to do. Also in terms of distribution, how they're looking at at you know, gas pipelines, like it's kind of all in there. So you start having this this kind of roadmap of how the sector, how this market, how this industry is going to be organized. However, you know, I mentioned just now transmission and distribution, and it's important to mention that these are the biggest bottlenecks, you know, because you mentioned you know, connection cues and things like that. Those bottlenecks depend on having a grid that can handle all of that new generation capacity. That's being planned, right, And so when you look at the Mexican grid, Mexicans like to say that their problem is not just generation, it's actually transmission. That they have about one hundred gigawatts of generation capacity installed but only about fifty five gigawatts of transmission capacity. So you can see how this is the main problem here. That opens some possibilities for you know, some small scale a solar for example, for microgrids, you know, for basically, you know, anything that allows you to work around around that transmission grid. CFI does have a grid investment plan. It's also in a sense trying to outsource some transmission investments, some upgrades to transmission lines and substations, to renewable project developers, to the private sector. However, CFI has illegally mandated monopoly. This did not change in the reforms on transmission and distribution. So it's trying to find some worker ounds. And it's also got the storage mandate that should help with some of those bottlenecks and specific nodes. However, that that does remain you know, a big challenge, right and I mentioned in terms of the regulations, there's still some details missing, especially for storage. So right now we're seeing permits come through. The government opened two separate permitting processes for private projects and for mixed investment projects. These are still ongoing. In the first round of the private project scheme, they were able to assign about forty two percent of the capacity they were going for. I think this was still early days back in October of last year when they opened that first process, and I think private players were still adopting a wait and see approach at the time, so they really didn't put their full force behind that.
Speaker 1: I'd say it.
Speaker 2: Would be disappointing if it wasn't like the first time that we had private projects actually being proposed and getting permitted in a long time. So forty two percent can be considered low compared to other countries, but it's still pretty good for Mexico. The CNE listened to what the private players had to say about that first process and they opened the second one late May of this year, and they've since extended the deadline trying to signed the remaining capacity for private projects. The mixed investment scheme was a completely different story because of what I mentioned before, the long term PPAs and other support that CFE was going to provide. Even though there wasn't going to provide any direct capital for these developments. That was oversubscribed by almost six hundred percent, so there was a lot more interest in the mixed investment scheme projects, and those that process closed in June when they assigned about seven point four gigaatts of generation capacity, so not even including the storage component, So that was a far more successful process.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like, you know, we talked about some of the challenges, and you know, and you've detailed actually how some of those challenges are being addressed. And I think that it's important not just to get bogged down in the challenges. I know, I was the one who asked the question, because this is a really big opportunity that's opening up in Mexico that you know a few years ago didn't exist. So can we just put for our listener's just a number on that, you know, whether it's in gigs or if it's in dollars, How big an opportunity is this for you know, energy transition technologies.
Speaker 2: It's a great question tom our own being a forecast, looking at that twenty thirty horizon, we're looking at nearly thirty five gigawatts of new capacity, including solar, wind and storage coming online. This includes small scale solar, so this would be decentralized investment, let's say, which would account for about fifteen gigawatts of that. So we're looking at almost twenty gigawatts of utility scale capacity coming online. And in terms of the investment, so the scale of investment opportunity is sixty three billion through twenty thirty five. Basically, what we're talking about here is if every agent in the market took cost based decisions, took economic decisions, went for the most affordable, most cost effective technologies, we would have sixty three billion being invested in Mexico through twenty thirty five. And that number comes from BNF's new Energy outlook right, our economic transition scenario. It's a scenario of course, that is focused on these market based decisions and doesn't assume any additional policy support.
Speaker 1: Or policy breaks either. We should say its suemes perfect economic policy. So there's a really big opportunity here for solar storage with the energy transition technologies that we typically talk about in the power grid in the energy sector. I want to return to something that we were talking about at the beginning, and it's the sort of where Mexico sits in this great power relationship, and I was really interested. I didn't realize this what you were saying about the US and President Trump using the USMCA as leverage to impose conditions on Mexico in terms of putting the tariffs on Chinese evs.
Speaker 2: Right, that's correct.
Speaker 1: So when I think of this opportunity that is solar and batteries and wind, and in particular solar and batteries, the bulk of them hugely dominated by Chinese supply chains. And then I also think about what's it's displacing. You know, the Mexican power sector, as far as I understand, is quite heavily relyant on natural gas right now, and a lot of that comes from the US. So we have this dynamic. If I may sort of, you know, maybe speak beyond my level of expertise, but it seems to me that this transition is implicitly dependent on technologies coming from China reducing energy dependence on the US. And we have seen the US government is not shy about imposing constraints on Mexico to in its sort of ability to import things from China. So is that a risk here in that dynamic that at some point there are conditions that kind of get in the way of this transition that's heavy reliant on CIRN batteries that are coming from China.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair, Tom. Basically what happened with EVS was exactly that that leverage was used based on this renegotiation to kind of force Mexico to put those tariffs on. And they're heavy terrriffs. They were paying I think maybe fifteen to twenty percent and now they're paying fifty percent. Right, this affects all kinds of Chinese cars. I think in this case, the United States was kind of worried that Mexico could eventually be a backdoor to the United States. How realistic a threat that was is debatable, However, the fact that that leverage was used is quite clear. Now. I do think that there are some limits to, you know, how hard the United States wants to squeeze Mexico, because there is some bilateral benefit to having those integrated supply chains and a complete decoupling would not be in either.
Speaker 1: Of Yeah, it's interest, right, the US benefits from the USMCA as well, Let's not forget that.
Speaker 2: But the truth is, yeah, that Mexico still has that heavy reliance on US gas. Today, gas is responsible for a little over two thirds of power generation in Mexico, and over seventy percent of the gas that Mexico consumes is important from the United States. So that is an additional source of leverage that's important there. And so of course I think diversifying Mexico's generation sources is also part of a national security strategy there. You know, it's not beneficial to have that level of dependence. Even though sometimes it's hard to escape it, and that American gas right across the border, coming in from Texas, for example, is very cheap, it's still, you know, generating a dependency that does make Mexico vulnerable. Now, in terms of the other components that Mexico needs for that energy transition, we could talk about batteries specifically, or wind turbines or solar panels. That has not, at least publicly come to the fore that it's become a bargaining chip. So Mexico did not increase teriffs any of those components, and it will probably resist pressure from the United States to do so because it's not like the United States is in any way offering alternatives. In terms of evs, there is a lot of domestic manufacturing in Mexico from American companies, but those evs are mostly going to the United States right there. It's a manufacturing base that is export oriented, right, so those American evs manufactured in Mexico are not being sold in Mexico. Right. Tesla has some market share there, minimal market share, but last year, based on our estimates, Chinese automakers had about ninety percent of the Mexican market. So we can say that there would be an alternative for American companies to sell some of these products, maybe competitively, even in Mexico with those tariffs. Now. I don't know if we can say the same for those other clean power components.
Speaker 1: But you could argue that natural gas is the alternative to those clean power components, and that is something that the US is offering.
Speaker 2: It is it is U and Mexico does have in the short term pipeline of gas powered plans of combined cycle gas plants that will be built out and should increase Mexican consumption of US natural gas. However, you know, you can't get much higher than those seventy percent in our outlook. The twenty thirty Mexico Gas Market Outlook, we have that dependency reaching eighty percent by twenty thirty, but again much higher than that.
Speaker 1: So what's that eighty percent? Is that eighty percent.
Speaker 2: Of eighty percent of the natural gas that Mexico will consume.
Speaker 1: For will come from the US? Yeah, got it, that's.
Speaker 2: In our in our Mexico Gas Market outlook twenty thirty. But again, yeah, it's it's there's already a very high level of dependency. I don't think Mexico wants set to go too much higher, right, and I think it will probably resist calls for tariffs and other components, especially when there are no great alternatives being offered from the United States.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about electric vehicles. I know we've been talking mostly about power generation, we've talked about evs in relation to these tariffs. How big is electric vehicle market in Mexico and how quickly is it growing?
Speaker 2: So it is big by Latin American standards. It's the second largest market in Latin America and it's growing quite fast. So we had Mexico break the barrier of one hundred thousand electric vehicles electric passenger vehicles here, including battery electric and plug in hybrid vehicles sold in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: And when were these tariffs introduced? Is this before or after the tariffs?
Speaker 2: So this was before the tariffs, so that was in twenty twenty five that we had those sales, and the tariffs kicked in on January first, twenty twenty six. However, we do not expect this momentum to stop or even necessarily slow in twenty twenty six. We know that based on import data, we know that imports accelerated towards the end of twenty twenty five, so before the tariff's kicked in. That means that a lot of those Chinese brands have stopped in having ventory in Mexico, and so we expect that at least until you know Q three, any price hikes will be minimal. And going forward, we've seen the you know, power prices in Mexico have increased. That has also increased the demand for evs. You know, new more affordable, more competitive models have also been introduced so far this year. So you know, we don't see this kind of reverting this tide or even reducing the market share for Chinese automakers in the country. Being a little more exact, we had almost one hundred and ten thousand units sold in twenty five that represented a little more than seven percent of all car sales in Mexico last year. By this year we see that increasing too close to ten percent actually, and the outlook going forward is really quite aggressive. Our most recent electric vehicle outlook, the long term Electric Vehicle Outlook, has that share reaching over seventeen percent by twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: And do we think a significant number of these metric vehicles, particularly with these tariffs in place, will be ones manufactured in Mexico, Whether it's by US companies or domestic companies, that.
Speaker 2: Really remains to be seen, and it really depends on the strategy that those legacy automakers might adopt. In the past, we've had companies like Bid, like Chang'an announce their intention of building factories in Mexico, but all of those decisions were kind of put on hold given the USMCA negotiation, because we know for a fact that the Mexican government would not be willing to fast track any of those investments from Chinese companies in Mexico while the USMCA renegotiations are ongoing. So again this is it's a matter of leverage. We saw the tariffs, We also saw those delays in those plans. Right Bide announced straight up that they were kind of suspending those plans for the time being. That said, there's an old Nissan factory, an old factory in Mexico, and there are some Chinese bidders for those factories. But it's very, very unlikely that we'll get any announcements of approvals from the authorities, even the state authorities in Mexico. We should see the federal government putting some pressure on them while those USMC and renegotiations are ongoing.
Speaker 1: Stepping back a moment, is it the picture I'm getting here? Is I mean taking out, you know, all of the kind of geopolitical nuances and the delicate type rope that it seems Mexico has to walk both relations to its neighbors and the global bigger picture. It seems like a lot of what has really changed is President Shane Baum has in effect opened up the market. But these different reforms sort of decentralized decision making power and therefore created opportunities not necessarily explicitly pushing energy transition technologies, but it's just more like opening up a market like that leads to those and kind of market reforms tend to be sort of quite sticky that they're difficult to reverse if someone else comes along with a different idea. But the one thing that I was reading about that does seem to be explicitly pushing the energy transition. I would love to just with the time we have here a bit more about this is a carbon market that's actually pretty huge, if that's if that's coming, So tell us a little bit more about what the plans are there and what the what the sort of the outlook is there.
Speaker 2: So before I'll push back a little on that most.
Speaker 1: From my characterization, yes, yeah, go on.
Speaker 2: Now, I would say that the reforms they do centralized decision making, would they.
Speaker 1: I was going to say they decentralized decision making, is what I meant to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they actually centralized decision making, but they decentralized project execution. So the planning is still very centralized. As I said, Mexico does have this binding planning framework for generation expansion, but it opens it specifically opens space for private projects and for these mixed investment projects. So that's where I would push back A good clarific, and it specifically defines the technologies. Right, So in both of these processes, it's all renewables and.
Speaker 1: Storage, got it, Okay, So it is I'm wrong to say that it's not prescriptive. It is actually a little bit prescriptive exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So for example, when they opened this process for fast track permitting for private projects, they said exactly where those projects had to be, what technology they had to have, what capacity they were looking for, how much a grid reinforcement investment was going to be necessary. So they were very kind of deliberate about the projects they wanted. So it is very energy transition focused. These reforms do look to push an energy transition, and that kind of stems from Claudia Shambaum's background, right. She is a climate scientist, that's what she's done in her career in the past. So despite being the handpicked successor of a very pro fossil fuel president, her take on the energy transition is completely different. And so I think we shouldn't lose track of the fact that, yeah, things do change when governments change or when presidents change, even though they're from the same political movement. And also never underestimate Latin America's capacity to do a complete one eighty when the government switches. That's something that we can see very clearly, not so much in Mexico, which tends to have more political continuity, but more so in South America. But getting to the carbon markets, that's definitely an aspect where it's also a very deliberate intention to push for the energy transition. So Mexico has had these clean energy certificates over ten years. I think it was twenty fourteen fifteen when this system was launched. However, it was always weak in enforcement and it was also semi mandatory. It didn't catch on. I think that's the point that the carbon market in Mexico didn't catch on. Now, with Claudisheimun having this completely different take on the energy transition, she's trying again and the ideas to relaunch it make it a little easier to qualify for those carbon credits, and you know, we're reading some more incentives to participate actively in the market. The details of how this is going to take shape are not yet clear. There is a challenge. However, part of let's say the downside of making it easier to participate in the market is that the quality of those of those credits could be called into question, So that's something that we're going to be keeping an eye on. The target is twenty twenty six for the relaunch of the market, but the details are still scarce.
Speaker 1: And just to be clear, we're talking about a cap and trade system here, is that right.
Speaker 2: A cap and trade system, But I think the baseline setting is where the huge question mark is. It's how are they going to define that starting point, especially since you know we're covering very different different industries. If we look at the carbon market evolution over the last couple of years, we've seen a lot of credits starting to come from manufacturing and fewer than from kind of land use and agriculture. So again, the additionality of these credits depends on the baseline setting, and if the baseline setting is weak, then the quality of these offsets will be called into question.
Speaker 1: Right. My question though, is if it's a cap and trade system. I realized that offsets can be involved in a cap and trade system, but presumably a lot of those reductions would be just through the capped industries consuming less, you know, basically emitting less, which is a reasonably robust form of carbon reduction. It's kind of exciting if Mexico has a carbon market and if it sticks, just because you know, thinking about this in the North American context, we have a carbon market in California. It's linked to the carbon market in Quebec. It's just been linked to the carbon market in Washington State. So it's sort of like there you see the seeds of a North American carbon market growing. And then if Mexico enters the picture and the carbon market proves to be robust and stable, you could see speculatively, I don't know, you're the expert on Mexico. Maybe this is ridiculous. Maybe that gets linked as well, and suddenly then the whole thing has a momentum. In Mexico would obviously be significantly the largest player in that scale. Could you ever see that happening, because that would be hugely influential, not just on Mexico but on the region as a whole.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, certainly, it would certainly be influential. I think it's probably more for the medium or long term. I think considering the fact that Mexico.
Speaker 1: That's you, that's your polite way of saying, that's not going to have that's a very ridiculous notion.
Speaker 2: The likelihood is low for the time being. If it does stake, if there is you know, a political will behind it. Let's give like some examples of companies that are already you know, leading, and this is very surprising I think to a lot of people that Mexican companies lead in decurbanization in cement and steel. For example, semex is one of the world leaders that has some of the most ambitious targets for emissions reductions. Right. You know, Mexico has about ninety seven percent of its steel capacity coming from electric arc furnaces, so it's not burning coal to make steel. You know, these are are things are quite impressive for a Latin American market, but even you know, by global standards here.
Speaker 1: So Mexico has everything to gain from trying to bring about a global decarbonization of industry because that's a game in which it is already one nil. Up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd say, but yeah, for the time being, though, again, you need the political will, you need the buying from you know, from companies from the private sector. You need continuity, right, I think that's that's something that's that's going to be necessary. If it took ten years for the previous iteration to stick, and it didn't, and now you're having this revamp. If this time, you know, with a climate scientist at the HELM there in Mexico, it actually does take hold, and whoever the next president is keeps working at it, then who knows. Maybe it is possible to integrate with other markets. But one step at a time, time.
Speaker 1: One step at a time, and you know, it's it's good to dream, but like maybe bring it back closer to the immediate reality. This has been fascinating because, you know, just going back to the very start of this conversation, Mexico because it has scale, because its supply chains are so integrated into North America. So we talk about how much the US can influence Mexico, but Mexico also has influence and maybe hasn't been a major player in the sort of the global climate conversation, but very much could enter the chat in a very significant way because of that scale. And so it's kind of exciting learning about everything we've been talking about today. It's a very multifaceted question. This is sort of this moment that we're at in Mexico, and like you say, there was a way of doing things in the last ten years. Now there's a bit of a reset. Let's see what the next ten years brings. But Stefan like, thank you. This has been really fascinating conversation for me.
Speaker 2: It's been I've been very happy to talk to you, Tom. Anything you need about Latin America. We've got a whole team for it. So here we are. Don't hesitate to reach out, and thanks for your time.
Speaker 1: Today's episode of Switched On was produced by Cam Gray with production assistance from Kamala Shelling. Bloomberg NEIF is a service provided by Bloomberg Finance LP and its affiliates. This recording does not constitute, nor should it be construed as investment a vice, investment recommendations, or a recommendation as to an investment or other strategy.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg a NEIF should not be considered as information sufficient upon which to base an investment decision.
Speaker 1: Neither Bloomberg Finance LP nor any of its affiliates makes any representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this recording, and any liability as a result of this recording is expressly disclaimed.