Speaker 1: On today's episode The Command Center Podcast, Fred Tanne, we are getting into it, man, we're talking about free agency. Who's available, bud Re signed early thoughts obviously, you know head coaching higher so far? What to do with that second overall pay lot? It feels like you got to go quarterback, but there's some other good players available there. And then we've got the bakeoff, yes, and Zach comes hard and someone ends up being a little bit salty.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the.
Speaker 1: Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Fred Smoot and San tanamaas guys. Yes, yes, yes, yes, good night at Hawkasse Sun.
Speaker 2: The Hawk is outside and it brow snow.
Speaker 1: Does I know, dude, it's been snowing. I think this podcast comes out a week from now. So is it still snowing? Who knows? But it's snowing right now. A winner is coming, Yeah, winner's coming, isn't It's crazy because it didn't stow at all last year, not even a little bit, and were not a lib but.
Speaker 3: The way it came down these plays. A couple of days I was going to this, had me left. I saw a white walker standing out in front of the store. Like I'm telling you like now it was and it was dusty, you know, it was like dusty where it flies around. And now it was like, all right, this this, this is real snow. Because you know, I did live in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: So you know, I'm saying, Minnesota, you've seen, you.
Speaker 4: Seen minutes thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: It don't take but sixty second to learn where you shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be it in the winter time.
Speaker 1: So I had a buddy who lived in Minnesota for a little bit. Yeah, and he said, if you didn't have the automatic car starter on your car and you walk out and it's like negative forty, like you just die.
Speaker 2: He didn't tell you the truth that we don't.
Speaker 3: You can't park outside like every garage, every house, no matter how ugly the house.
Speaker 2: Is, it's heated garage.
Speaker 3: Because if my pickup truck outside not listening to the Minnesota guys, tell me, don't leave you the here guyside. I went outside, tried to open it, froze shut. I can't pour water on it because it'll crack the winders. It's too cold, so you have to really wait on it to throw out and they could take days.
Speaker 1: I also heard that the uh it can get so cold they're the anti freeze or the no no, the electric starter sometimes doesn't work so you can't even start the car it's so coold.
Speaker 3: Well, if the MISSISISPPI really is freezing, so it's not moving anything else free.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I mean so basically, you mean tell me schools. Schools are not going to be in there. They are, They're gonna close down stores because.
Speaker 1: I mean like that. But that's the crazy about Minnesota is they're.
Speaker 4: Just why fully nothing.
Speaker 3: We still go out downtown like they did a good job of connecting all the buildings downtown so when it's blizzard outside you can just walk all hold downtown and.
Speaker 2: Just be cool and one woman stuff.
Speaker 3: So no, they are fully functional, very Canadian like in that way. Snow does not bother minneapolies between cities at all.
Speaker 1: And now you guys know that about Minnesota. Learn that from smirt and just and just reminder. We're brought to you by BE three sixty five. At Bet three six five, we don't do ordinary. We believe every sports should be epic. Right now, new customers can choose between two offers when they open an account at BET three sixty five. Use the QR code decide up deposit ten and choose between either first bet safety net offer by placing a bet up to one thousand. If you're qualifying. Bet loses, you receive a match refund in bonus bets or betting get offer and place a bet of five dollars or more and get one hundred and fiftyen bonus bets. Whatever the sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinary. A bet three six y five Official sports Betting Partner of the Washington Commander.
Speaker 3: Must be twenty one plus physically located in Virginia. Please gamble responsibly if you are someone you know has a gambling problem and won't say ipcar one hundred gambling.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, So now we're gonna kind of have a fun show today, kind of like a lot of games, a lot of team buildings, and the way we've programmed this show is the way the off season.
Speaker 4: Are going to go.
Speaker 1: So building through through free agency, excuse me, is our first segment, and we're going to take a look at some notable free agents on our team, whether we were resign them or not, and then we're gonna look around the league and kind of say, these are some pieces we think are interesting for needs that the team has. So just to get us started off, we have the most cap space the Washington Commanders in the NFL, with what is that number, six point two million, which is a big number if you're wondering in total cap space, and then sixty three point six in effective cap space, so a little bit different. But and then there's also the ability to free some of that up with restructures and cutting the veteran PA players. So let's look at the notable unrestricted free agents for this team. There are a lot of them, so I'm just gonna hit kind of some highlights. Okay, you got Curtis Samuel, you got Cam Croll, Kenda Fuller, Jacoby Brissett, and you've got Cornelius, Lucas, Khalek, Hudson, Cody Barton, and then there was one more. I wanted to hit all the defensive ends our free agents, except for the young.
Speaker 2: Guys w James hype and use it.
Speaker 1: So obviously there are some good football players on this list, guys that I think are important to re sign because you need to add depth. Right, is there anybody you're like, Man, Obviously we're not talking money on this show, but you're just saying it'd be important if we got this piece back or a guy to to kind of mimic this piece.
Speaker 2: Cam Currel.
Speaker 3: Cam Crollroll is the initial piece I see here did to be negotiations, Like, this is a real contract you're about to do. He's never made a ton of money in this league. This is gonna be his second contract. He's been playing at the Pro Bowl level for a couple of years. He's the guy that you had to really negotiate with on here. So Cam Curl would be that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I agree, Cam Crow. But also, just just for Devil's advocate argument's sake, Kyle Dugger from New England is also a free agent, say too.
Speaker 5: Also just with Cam Curll being up knowing that, yeah, he's a guy that we basically homegrown. But if you have another guy out there, yes, a free agent like Cam that's sitting a little higher, would you take a shot at that guy and you know, cut loose with your homegrown guy?
Speaker 4: Like how does that you know?
Speaker 1: And again we have to also acknowledge that this is a really hard conversation to have because we don't know who the defensive coordinators. Yeah, like we're just trying to identify talent, and so just talent talent. Cam might really fit a certain defensive scheme at a high level, not fit another one. And then the defensive coordinator that come is, you know, comes in has a conversation with Adam Peters and says, you know, I don't really see the value here, and then they go to different directions. So that's why this conversation is so hard. But I think to Fred's point.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, no, he's that guy.
Speaker 1: Cam's a very talented football player. I think the one thing that kind of falls a little bit short is, you know, he tackles always in the right spot. Never been a guy that makes a ton of interception son a big place. Ye yeah, And that's the thing.
Speaker 3: And when you bring up a Cole Dugger, a guy that goes out there and make plays an anti one in Winfield.
Speaker 1: Junior, you love you. He's also a free agent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just saying, so you just see it. Who's stealing is higher.
Speaker 3: And when we're talking about the safety market, it doesn't vary much.
Speaker 2: Like a like a wide receiver.
Speaker 3: A ConA market the fifth corner in the number one corner, I'm not making exactly the same, but I think in the safety position it varies.
Speaker 2: I only buy a couple of dollars, so I have to say.
Speaker 3: I want to keep a homegrown guy like Cam Curroll, but it'll be hard for me not wanting to put anto One Winfield Junior right beside him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think Antoine Winfield Junior is interesting too because he did play that nickel roll in college. She'll give you some flexibility and again, a defensive coordinator. I don't know who it's going to be, obviously, but they come in here they say that flexibility is more important, or we really want Cam to be our buffalo nickel linebacker, and Cam would fit that role great. He did a great job with that early in his career. So that's an interesting one. Kendall Fuller is interesting to me too, a guy that you know. Last year, I was kind of ready to say, hey, it's ready to move on from him. But he had an excellent year this year, played really good football, and I kind of feel like, if if the numbers right, you know, why not, why not bring it? Bring the old veteran back and stuff he's got.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean he's one of those guys.
Speaker 5: I mean when he's a veteran and you know the number probably not going to be too crazy like him, so you always want to keep that piece around. He was solid last year, and you can look at you having young talent.
Speaker 4: And sometime a young talent don't pan.
Speaker 5: Out as planned as yeah, as planned, or as soon as you want it to.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: He's one of those guys I would say, I will hope that at least he comes back to two of the other guys, if you know, worst case, he.
Speaker 2: A universal piece.
Speaker 3: He one of these guys that make every roster on all thirty two teams on his league. He's gonna to make it with his character, his talent. So he's one of those guys you won't in the locker room he wanted to bits, I'd be like, like, you say, listen, negotiate a way for you to stay here.
Speaker 2: Let's find a way for you to stay here.
Speaker 3: And I can't promise you to start and drab, but I promise you will play. But I need you to be more than just a play. I need you to be a teacher. I need you to be an anchor.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So those are interesting, and obviously I think it's important to point out that there is no middle linebacker at the moment on this team, right there's no middle linebacker. There's really no edge depth. So you look at a guy like Cody Barton, who I thought played better near the end of the maybe you bring him back because you know Jami and Davis I think had a good year, but coming off the injury where he's at. And then obviously there's guys like Casey Twohill and James Smith Williams. And I think that's again a position where like the GM isn't a really UH is in a really interesting spot with those guys specifically, What are your thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I just think you got to have depth at the pass rush, especially when you don't have your anchor guys.
Speaker 2: But like you said, you got a clear dick right there. And I think two.
Speaker 3: Heel is a guy that I look in and say, hey, I might want to bring this guy back, James Smith william I might want to, like I want.
Speaker 1: To have some a death piece.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to have some guys on this team if he bought it, like he want of those guys that didn't play a lot because he was hurt this year, but he can play inside. He can play outside. Like you said, we probably got three D line for d sign for the whole year. Yeah, So now I need I need regulatory depth. And some of these guys I want to keep because they were part of this team and they do know E werebody.
Speaker 1: In this life. And I think the other reason, just to point this out real quick, is we talk about Casey and James, is the edge rusher depth in this year's draft class is not great, But there are a couple of free agents that are really high naming and I just wanted to go through a couple of those real quick. You got Josh Allen, Josh, He's he's been fantastic. Danelle Hunter is another guy that's sent a great job. Bryce Huff, Brian Burns, Brian Burns. Yes, those are the guys, and obviously Chase Young's another guy. So there are some pieces in free agency that you could look to acquire again to supplement some of the lack of talent in the draft to edge. Right, But I think that's something that needs to be considered here, Right. Do we need to get those guys like Casey and James back just as a safety net? Yeah, in case we can't get a big free agent and the team can't get a free agent. Okay, and there's not a ton of he's Isn't he a defensive.
Speaker 2: Tactic I've been saying, but he plays, Yeah, he can.
Speaker 1: Tell a bit of both. But again, and then scheme dependent too, like one of these guys.
Speaker 5: I was trying to say, you know all about scheme lives too, because we don't know going forward what we're going to be defensive. Yeah, you know what I mean. So hopefully we don't change too much because then you have the guys here that's our staples, like true Hill and James Hyphen. Then you can say, okay, we at least worst case in there, we can bring those guys.
Speaker 4: But but you will hopefully hope that we.
Speaker 5: Can land one of these guys out here in for agency because we saw what things was like when we didn't have those I guess you can say stars.
Speaker 4: At that position.
Speaker 3: And we also was afoord three defense base wise, and now what do we flip to a three four? Now we don't need as many defensive line we need more linebackers. And this win I think the college Hudson's in world and the rest of those guys come into the folk. Then you look at a guy like Brian Burns from Carolina and say, you know what, you could play rushian four three.
Speaker 1: Three four, probably as better as a fourth three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you bring the guy in the Niahna. He's older, but.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, like you's got some ability.
Speaker 3: He got you, like he can rush the pass. So yeah, most definitely this is what you're gonna have to look at.
Speaker 1: And again you would prioritize that because there's not you know, there's a lot too from UCLA. There's the two kids from.
Speaker 2: Chop Chop Robinson.
Speaker 1: I get a friend first round guy, but a small, undersized.
Speaker 2: Guy Dallas from Alabama Dallas.
Speaker 1: And then the other guy's name is escaping me at the moment from Alabama. Both both those those are kind of the four top edge rushers in the draft, and I have a feeling they're going to go quick, quickly, and then we go early and then they're not all global scheme fits. I think it's the other thing that's tough about that group, right, So I think I think you want to see the Tannis point. You want to make sure you have a stud and it looks like the best way to get that taken care of is free through free agency.
Speaker 3: Right, Josh Hadden to be the guy that I covet like, you always got to have a guy that you cover. Yeah, he would be out of this group of past rushers. I love Brian Burns. I think he can make plays, but Josh Allen, I think can dictate game.
Speaker 1: Definitely grew up a lot this year. And I think, you know, looking at Peters and the things he prioritized in San Francisco. Yeah, obviously paying joe and Bosa, paying Joey Bosa, making sure they always have talent across that defensive line is a big thing, just about where you find it. Another reason we talked about Kendall Fuller, and I defer to Fred here on this is not a uber deep cornerback draft. It's not, so you got to make sure you get the pieces where you can get them. I think that's why those free agent names are so so valuable because it's not a deep free agent class and there's not a ton of guys in the draft, So you got to make sure you have your pieces when the chair settle. You know what I'm saying, Tanna, the.
Speaker 5: Jerry's believe you, and then we have so many other spot bots feel yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean you.
Speaker 5: Can look at this whole sheet and be like, who, we need a guy from every position?
Speaker 2: I go get these one guy for your position.
Speaker 5: You need you well, I mean you have to make your team up like this is. I remember coming into the league, and the league was one of those things at the time we came in in two thousand and one where the veterans filled the team.
Speaker 4: So free agency was always bigger than the draft.
Speaker 5: You're gonna draft that first round of because he's going to be somebody that's gonna help us.
Speaker 2: They don't guarantee he gonna start.
Speaker 4: You're not saying that he's gonna play that now.
Speaker 5: Now now you're talking about teen years later, first round as a playing now, second round as I playing now, third round, even seventh rounds.
Speaker 4: It's a different league.
Speaker 5: So now you know, teams who need those first round or that kind of caliber of young player, they go get him in a draft.
Speaker 4: But I think we need we both.
Speaker 5: We got to build our team up with some veterans and then go out there and pick pick one in the drafts.
Speaker 1: I mean, all teams need free agency. It's just about the level of what you're going to employ that and I'm just we're just identifying areas. I think that defensive line not great in the draft. For agents, there are some names right corner not great in the draft free agency. You gotta make a move, right it's I think that's where you look. And that's why Kendall Fuller might be back with the team. You know, some people say Curtis Samuel is even what are you gonna do a receiver? This is one of the at least in the top very deep fifteen receivers. They're all sick. Like it was. I was watching film getting ready for the Senior Bowl and I was like, no way, this kid is the seventh guy, and you go watch it the seventh guy guy, Yes he is.
Speaker 5: It's like twenty of them football year round. Yeah, seven on seven is at an all time high. You're gonna see way more receivers than you see anything else, like twenty.
Speaker 2: Deep in wide receiver.
Speaker 3: And I'm not one of them guys that like one thing about Curtis Samney.
Speaker 2: I think he had a hell of a year.
Speaker 3: But the only reason I can't bring him back because of him gonna not because of the money. Because him. Johann and Terror are too similar, Like I need I need the six four guy to catch bad pass.
Speaker 2: I need to him to the group. I need the burner need to add to.
Speaker 1: This also scheme dependent to scheme dependent. But I think when you look at like look at the playoff game last week, right, there was a ton of guys, you know, look at Detroit, different skill sets, look at Houston, different skill sets, Bay.
Speaker 2: Mike, Mike Evans, and then they got the short guy, like you got the head.
Speaker 3: Diversity in it room, Like that's the only way to make us as dbs respect y'all because if y'all got three guys and they all like Tanna, my playing for Tanna works on him and works on him.
Speaker 1: Also, Yeah, And I think that that's what you saw is that you know, obviously they have Detroit specifically, they got a bunch of studs. You know, you were you were talking about this before. We're talking about the Detroit game. Amara Saint Brown is the guy you expect, but the guy early is Reynolds making the plays. And then eventually Amanas Saint Brown comes and then Williams, the kid from Alabama, Jameson william makes it right and it all kind of shows up when you can maximize those playmakers. That's super important. So that's something I don't think you need to hit on offensive lines really deep this year. So I think Cornelia Slucas is excellent. I think if you can resign him, you probably try to. But again, there's a lot of pieces in the draft this year, so kind of a fun, uh fun offseason program, I guess, you know, kind of coupling the free agency with the draft. Now to me what I yes, And just a reminder, we're about to you buy at three six five. At Bet three six five, we don't do ordinary. We believe every sport should be epic. That's why we offer an NFL early payout offer. Get your straight bets paid out or parlay selections marked as winner when your team goes up by seventeen points, regardless of whether the opponent comes back to win the game. Our NFL Early payout offer is it over fifty two times this season. Use the QR code to sign up and see for yourself why it's never ordinary. Bet three six five official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 5: Must be twenty one and older and physically located in Virginia. Please gamble responsibly if you or someone you know has a gambling problem and wants hip, call one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: All right, So now I'm really excited for this segment because the free agent one is fun. Yep, it's hard to know. I think that's the hardest one to know, given the fact when I'm at coaching place. But this one is fun because it's like, what do we do? What is the value of the second overall pick? Yeah, so who wants to start it off?
Speaker 4: Game?
Speaker 1: That you should smoo kiper served office the draft expert.
Speaker 2: At what you got?
Speaker 1: So value of the value of the second olfact if you're picking it to what how do you see that pick in your draft expertise?
Speaker 3: The only one thing more valuable is one like if you can't move but one more pick up that tells you everything where you're cornering the market of the draft. The whole thing of the draft is trying to get the better the best players out the draft. A chance to get the best player out the draft where we're in a situation where we can grab the best player in the draft. So if you got Caleb number one, we have a chance to get him. If you have Marvin Harrison, number one, we have chance to get him.
Speaker 2: So whoever you value and if.
Speaker 3: You're looking at us, and I think what you don't want to ever do is be back this high draft. The only way you don't draft this high again is to win. You have to win with these picks. So if you get a cornerstone, if because if you did, how you're probably gonna go quarterback if you're gonna get that guy.
Speaker 2: And if you get that guy, you won't here game for fifteen years hopefully. All right, So distant we ago.
Speaker 5: So I guess when we say getting getting that guy, then we'll have to question us getting Chase at two because obviously we're back here.
Speaker 1: So we didn't get I'm so glad you brought that up because this is one thing about that second overall pick that I think people need to understand. There is a projection with all of those picks, even if it's the second guy in the draft.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, cayleb Williams watch watched him of his film last weekend, watched three or four games. Awesome. He's not in rhythm, he's not in time. Is there a chance that he falls on his face in the NFL?
Speaker 2: Absolutely chance, All of them you know, like.
Speaker 1: Drake May for example, Yeah, he's got some things we were talking about, the throwing the football, Brandon Daniels, Right, dude, is Jayalen Jane Downs? Yes, excellent, Like looks like as close as tomorrow as Lamar as I've seen in a couple of years, right, dicing up Alabama, dicing up Florida. There is a chance that he gets the NFL and it just doesn't want.
Speaker 2: It don't work.
Speaker 1: So that's one thing where I see two and again you got to make the pick, because I think last year is also a great example.
Speaker 2: One ain't guaranteed.
Speaker 1: Even Texas, the Houston Texans had a high from what I understand, had a higher evaluation on Bryce Young. Yeah, but they were picking second, so they took CJ. Stroud, the next best quarterback available, and that guy becomes the better pro. And that's again people don't know. And so when I look at this, one of the things that I always think about with a draft piece this high is trading out of this spot because, like we talked about, this roster's got a lot of space in it, right, a lot of holes in it, and you need to fill it with good players. And what trading back would do as I think back to that last year, right when the Bears traded up to one from nine, Right, they gave up DJ Moore and three first round draft picks Carolina Panthers. The Carolina Panthers did it right, So think about what that does for building a team that's a starting stud wide receiver plus three other supposedly studs. Obviously you got to hit on it. So that's one thing that I get drawn to with This helps mitigate some of your risks.
Speaker 3: Right, what about the fact that we do have multiple second rounds and multiple third Do that make you want to stick at two because I do have that much draft capital?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean what you think, I think you can't go wrong.
Speaker 4: I mean you can add more to that. I mean, I look at it like this.
Speaker 5: When you have as many quarterbacks that we have coming out this year, it's gonna get to the point that the week before someone's slot gonna change, Someone's going to movie.
Speaker 4: Down, he gonna go.
Speaker 5: And depending on what our scheme is, that's gonna change too. That's gonna change who's going to be greater than the others. So maybe Jayalen Dames might be the guy who we want to get. Do you say, okay, am I going to pick him at number two? Or would like go down and get him where I think he's going to be. I don't think he's making past three.
Speaker 1: And no, I feel I'm just.
Speaker 5: Saying like so, I think there's a lot of that stuff gonna, you know, shape itself out later wrong, down the line.
Speaker 4: But right now, it's a great question. It's a great argument to have.
Speaker 2: You know, I think, who do you fall in love to me?
Speaker 3: Who do the head coach in the GM say this is the stewart for next ten years in the league?
Speaker 2: Like who do they say? His game? Everything about him?
Speaker 3: Because you gotta realize they still got to do the interviews, they still got you know, private workout. They gotta be like cause you know, as fast as you fall in love with a player, you can you can fall out.
Speaker 2: Of love with one good meeting. Like, no, this guy ain't for us, He ain't not for us. So they're go to thee where do you value that guy?
Speaker 3: Because if you're trade out of two, let's just say you trade down to seven, you're talking about collecting maybe.
Speaker 2: Two two's a year and a two next year, plus they won you.
Speaker 1: Probably get a one. You probably get two ones and maybe a second for that kind of move, because again, you're what you're what you're giving that other team as an opportunity to get that franchise quarterback. So what is the valuable what is what is the value of franchise quarterback one in draft capital? I think it's about three ones, and so that's what you'd be getting now, you get two probably the following year, right like the Bears do this year. That gives you some flexibility to move up down. Let's say you like the draft class next year better. But I always I always think, like when you look at the turnaround in Philly, one of the things that drove that turnaround that got them to the super Bowl last year, yah, is they had that trade. I forget who it was with, but they traded back. They got a whole bunch of first round draft capital. They got a whole bunch of studs in there, right, and the roster flipped and almost it always like offseason.
Speaker 2: And taking jen Hurst in the second room. Yeah yeah, and he had a quarterback.
Speaker 1: And so there are other quarterbacks, right, there's Pennix, there's bone Nicks, There's Joe Milton from Tennessee good football players, right, and maybe you've fall in love with one of those guys that you could trade back with. But again, I think that's the thing is what if you think the guy is the guy, like the Freend's point, if you think it's a franchise guy, I think it's that dude. There's no there's no price tag on ye. Like if you think he's the next Andrew Luck or the next Trevor Lawrence or whatever it is, like you.
Speaker 3: Andrew look right, yeah, damn right, DNA you got realized that was Andrew Luck in RG three one and two, one and two, like it happened. We see his one and two all the time, Peyton Manning, Ryan Lee. We seed his one two back and forth. Sometime too better than one. Sometime one lives up to it. Sometime we find a guy in the fourth that's better than both of them.
Speaker 2: So it's end up.
Speaker 3: It's draft to me, is the ultimate lottery. Yeah, Like you could think you want.
Speaker 2: Until you look u about the next day and all your money got Draft.
Speaker 4: Taking the dice, Yeah, it is. That's what it is.
Speaker 1: It is taking the dice and you can do all the evaluation you want. Coaches have to be in place. We talked about how important that is, making sure they can develop, because if I, if I, if I get a guy at two and I think like that. That was one of the issues with Chase when he was here, right, Sam Mills, you know, say what you want about him. They didn't connect, right. No, he never develops, never had great teaches. He That is something people forget about. You need that infrastructure for that player to develop.
Speaker 5: Prime example, and some of the some of the things is about circumstances. You might get a quarterback in this draft and whether he goes in the top two but goes to a team that's going to use him, you know, in the wrong way.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna give you an example.
Speaker 5: We have a veteran quarterback in this league that people hopped on all year along Josh Allen. Josh Allen with Dorsey, my ex cottage quarterback. Dix was getting off, but they lost a lot of games. You do a lot of interceptions. You take Dorsey out the picture, you put in Brady. He's not getting off no more. Now the running back is getting off. He's a pro bowler, and now they winning games. So it's all about the circumstances and how that guy's being used. So a lot of times, like we look at last year's draft, you say the kid that went to Carolina.
Speaker 2: Was everyone he's the wrong.
Speaker 5: No, he hasn't had anybody, so you can't really just says he's wrong pick. But they quick to right you out because you're not being as successful as the next guy, but not looking at the circumstances.
Speaker 2: So that's what.
Speaker 3: It's like, looking at our circumstances when we draft the quarterback there how he has to play? Like something about this. You got Joe Burrow who came right off the porch ready to go. Well, Jordan Love was in that draft, Like Jordan look, his first his first time to start his fourth year in the league and he is now he's ready. If y'all forced him to play his first two years, he probably won't even be in the league right now. So you staying it right circumstances where I have to only look at it from the lenses we got it's gonna our circumstances.
Speaker 2: We have to get the.
Speaker 3: Most quarterback with the most starting ready quarterback in the draft.
Speaker 2: This is what we want.
Speaker 5: And with and with that being saying, we must make this team out to be what we talked about, getting those veterans in him that's going to be able to lead because he's not going to be able to come in here.
Speaker 2: No, he won't be able to rewrite what we got going on.
Speaker 5: Because it's a whole lot of stuff that you got to change and correct wrong bingo.
Speaker 1: And I think that's why, especially with a quarterback, getting that coach is so important. Like we can't, I cannot overstate how important Bobby Sloan is for CJ. Strouds. Definitely like that you talked about early on how they struggle a little bit offensively, but once they found their rhythm. Once Bobby found his rhythm, you insulate that quarterback position. Obviously he's got to make plays that credit twisted, but insulate, deleverage him, give an opportunity be successful. So I think that's like something that fans innerstanding. Just because we picked somebody at two, don't promise, or let's we trade him to one, still don't matter. It still don't matter. Like all those guys, like you know, we're talking about this more in depth as we go along, but they all have their works. It's not like there's a guy where it's perfect. This guy is ready to go. And even when the guys ready to go, even Andrew Luck, there's some questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he still was. He still was holding to balls too long sometime. But it also now that we think about it, I love what Houston is doing.
Speaker 3: But as good great as what they're doing, it gotta be scary in the back of CJ scroud head because easiest two weeks from that he can have a new coordinator, so it could be somewhere else. And that's what makes me want to get an offensive guy because he never leaves.
Speaker 5: It's his successful if that he give that offense, that that quarterback.
Speaker 4: That team that time to grow with it for him him coming.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm a defensive guy, so I love propping defensive guys up. But that's the only knock and having a defensive head coach.
Speaker 2: If you have a very.
Speaker 3: Successful offense, you won't have that coordinator alone. And I think you don't think CJ crowd as much as we love in him right now, if he gets in another offense in two months, does he take a step back.
Speaker 5: But it's only but you know, it's so crazy going back to it. I just talked about why is football like that now? It's been coaches that have been on the same staff forever, T one three manas you know what I mean, super Bowls them done, Pat turnover, Yeah, and it's like quick now I want him. He's he's ready to come leave up right now. But back in the day, it wasn't life.
Speaker 2: They had to do it for ten twelve year they had.
Speaker 4: To prove them.
Speaker 5: So wonder why we getting the turnaround? Like we are six coaches. You're not giving these coaches enough time to really develop or to even be successful enough where they was at before, you thinking that they can come over here and rewrite your stuff. So it's you know, it's the same way with players, Like you said, it's a micro wavee society.
Speaker 4: Man, they want it now, right now.
Speaker 1: So the other thing that we talk about mitigating risk, and I think that's something we talked about the quarterback and that was really good conversation. Great points for everybody is the player with the least amount of risk in the draft is Marvin Harrison. Like he might not be the best receiver, but he projects. I've never seen a guy that projects more easily to the NFL.
Speaker 2: He was ready for the NFL last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're just like he's big, he's fast, he runs good routes. Is he the most Is he the best guyt of his breaks? No? Is he the is he the best that all these categories?
Speaker 2: No strong hands, but across.
Speaker 1: The board, pretty consistent.
Speaker 3: High football IQ, second generation football is everything there.
Speaker 2: Nothing ever looks too big for him.
Speaker 3: And I think he ready for the spotlight because he don't look star Holme like so some you know, some receivers I think people want to stay away from because they be like, oh, very talented, but oh this dude, you can turn into a demon.
Speaker 2: I don't see that with Mama Harrison.
Speaker 4: He'd been there before.
Speaker 2: He's been there before, he's been around his pop so long old boy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so again like Joe Alt is another guy that's very very consistent. Joe Alt, Yeah, I say, ah, but again there's there's I think I think for Shaw, who is probably a more talented football.
Speaker 2: Player I knew from Penna State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Alt is like it's like right, it's a right down the middle fast you know what I'm saying. It's like you're getting on base with a double one.
Speaker 3: So we've seen before, like not the Dame gives us this guy everything every three here they give us six six.
Speaker 1: I can move with the wins super consistent. Again, Yeah, there are guys that have higher upsides, but his floor is here so too. Because you talked about this Tanna like we went. I think you know with Chase, it's like, oh, this is the surefire thing. Do you think you do that? Do you think you skip on quarterback? You have to take quarterback with two I.
Speaker 3: Think with everything new going, you have to. I think you got to you for it's I.
Speaker 5: Think you've writ down this road before and you see what it did to you. You know what I mean because because think about we have a quarterback then he didn't do it, So I think you have to.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the most about it's the most valuable position in all of sports for.
Speaker 5: A change, and that's the only way your franchise is going to be what it's trying to be a quarterback.
Speaker 2: And think about it.
Speaker 3: In your division. The Giants don't have a quarterback. Eagles to say that quarterback.
Speaker 1: There, but even that is look like look at the coordinator change there. That's a great example and is he is he going to be the answer? Moving forward.
Speaker 2: I think he was beat up.
Speaker 1: I think it's stematically though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was beat up and dank Priscott Hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so do you is a guy in this draft that gives you that answer. We're going to talk about this way more as the off season go on. We've got senior ball coming up, We've got the Combine coming up, and we will be giving you updates on that throughout, so make sure you stay tuned for that. But now got something very special. This is the Bakeoff. It's presented by Northwest Federal Credit Union, the official credit union of the Washington Commanders. Stop searching, go Northwest, check out NWFCU dot org slash Washington to see how it how it is to join WHOA, how easy it is to join a mister word there, and how Northwest can help make your money work for you. Stop by a branch or is it MWFCU dot org slash Washington today. All right, man, I'm pretty freaking fire up about this. And so we have a bakeoff. So this is what the fourth Bakeoff event, and we per fan requests are doing this blind right line test, right, so we don't know who cooked what cookies.
Speaker 2: They called me the cooking mine, cooking mine, yeah, mine, man.
Speaker 3: They called me there an ashburner when I come driving Ice Street, letting cooking at the one, the cooking mine.
Speaker 1: So here we go. So what so what are we baking today? Guys? Uh?
Speaker 2: Fred?
Speaker 1: What are we backing?
Speaker 2: We make chocolate chip cookies today?
Speaker 1: You know, I can, y'all can already tell who's I can already tell you it is one.
Speaker 3: Always about hooks and another one that's about taste.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is correct. So chocolate chip cookies. What are the recipes? Boys? Will we do? So real?
Speaker 2: Scheff did not share one is agreed.
Speaker 3: I don't think he has, okay, of course he said he got some cinnamon from Madagascar.
Speaker 1: Don't tell me, don't tell me. Okay. So we're gonna start with which are starting with that one? Friend? Since he's no, but we're not. We're not supposed to know. We don't. I'm supposed to know.
Speaker 4: Don't show me which one is?
Speaker 2: So the lieu.
Speaker 1: Of this one, the big one whatever, the big one, the big one.
Speaker 2: Okay, we start there, the big one, all right? That tape that takes the hind of vanilla in there? Something put vanilla in the chocolate chip cookies.
Speaker 1: Who don't tell me, who don't spread?
Speaker 4: It's over now, I already know. Any one told me who's on?
Speaker 1: That's pretty Good's a good cookie, A lot of chocolate.
Speaker 2: That we'll get diabetes from.
Speaker 1: It's good. So that was the thick cookie, which I think I would anticipate is probably Zach, just because just because of how it looks like Zach with these big chocolate everything. If you're watching on YouTube, this is this is one, this is the other. This feels very Fred to me.
Speaker 2: Put the least effort.
Speaker 1: But all of your bakes so far have been just solid. They look normal, taste good, very straightforward.
Speaker 2: My appetite.
Speaker 6: I will say, Fred, you're you're better than I thought you'd be.
Speaker 4: Maddamn good cookie?
Speaker 1: Did he all right?
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I can never. I can never not like structures. Good friend.
Speaker 2: They have to taste. Tell me what you take.
Speaker 1: You have to take both good cookies? They are both? What is that? What is that? Then there?
Speaker 4: What's you know?
Speaker 1: My palates?
Speaker 2: Y'all don't understand Logan cannot taste. I smell, so I tried to.
Speaker 1: Keep just for the record, I can smell.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: There was a period of my life where I couldn't smell. I got a surgery. I can smell, but I don't. The nuance of tasting is not very high. Let's just say that, right, Yeah, Okay, we get what I'm saying. Chocolate. Yeah, so chocolate, So I got it. So what it's like, what is this? I can tell it's a chocolate chip cookie. But when it's like, do you taste the hint of lavender in there? No? I don't. I don't taste subtle. I don't know, so peop don't know. What about the cooking? He's a cooked monster? So what do we got?
Speaker 4: Tanne, I like both of them. Gotta give the fred really, I gotta give Wow.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna tell you why to one that has always it tastes good. It never not tastes good. It's something about fred at the end. Now why I say Freddy cooking andself?
Speaker 4: Man, yes, your.
Speaker 3: Mama, somebody he gave me a five a five hour hentt.
Speaker 4: It's something at the end of it.
Speaker 6: Just damn you know that the love you've you've never really you really enjoy anything I've ever made?
Speaker 1: Yes, just.
Speaker 2: Eat punking.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 2: He enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: That's true, he did you.
Speaker 5: That's out of all people. I'm piggy this guy. So I'm gonna be picky with food. And for me to say it's good, that's mean I'm enjoying it. But then when I got to say, like I said, if I close my eyes and.
Speaker 6: Taste, so I had a boy of yours, is like I hate a bout of mine? All right, fine, I think in fairness, you need to see.
Speaker 2: You to see what say it? What he said, it's the end.
Speaker 4: It's the apple taste.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's anying different.
Speaker 6: I Mine tastes way better.
Speaker 2: Of course you would think that you're the competition. I'm sorry, I just ate yours and just ate mine.
Speaker 3: I spit yours in my pocket and I'm meaning mine at Okay, have you.
Speaker 1: Taste some Fred's? Is good? I do? I think I like Zach's better, though, man, let me go on more time.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what if I'm gonna lose.
Speaker 1: So the man that can't taste that, the man can't take needed to get a where's in turn? Caroline, She's gonna come in see. I try to be I know, I'm trying to be impartial here because that's one that's the thing. It's it's a chocolate chip cookie. It's like, it's not only so much you can do. I will eat the ones one of those, like the famous amous, like those are good.
Speaker 6: I like chocolate crunchy. I like soft cookies.
Speaker 1: But you know what I'm saying, like a tard soft chocolate chip.
Speaker 4: I mean, what kind of chocolate did this that?
Speaker 6: It's uh, bacon chocolate, semi sweet bacon chop.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why I like it. It's like dark chocolate kind of.
Speaker 6: It's got a little bit more like cocoa.
Speaker 4: I do like.
Speaker 1: I prefer that taste.
Speaker 6: It's not overpowers.
Speaker 2: He needs ammonia.
Speaker 6: So the big difference between mine and his is that I use brown butter.
Speaker 2: Brown, but you don't even know what color.
Speaker 6: But I you, okay, you didn't do that.
Speaker 2: All right, we don't have no one. I'm going to break off a piece and her taste it what cookies?
Speaker 1: Right? So so we have a tie, and it's close. So Tannas said fred I said Zach.
Speaker 2: I take the dude with the taste, but as they weark this is who I take.
Speaker 1: But we brought it in turned Caroline, our fantasy football experts to break the tie. There's no microphone there's no microphone for us. We're gonna have to switch it up. Jason's going to get the cookies right now, he's mixing them up. She's got her eyes closed. Where's Jason. He's coming out here at some point. La hey man, all right, so here you go. Here's the moment of truth. Jason's walking the cookie over. He's placing half a cookie in her hand. There is no discerning.
Speaker 6: Let's just wait.
Speaker 1: Let's just wait. They said cookie, al right, dook, you taste all right, shoeing, Let's see what we got here.
Speaker 4: I won't say nothing yet.
Speaker 1: His eyes are still closed. Very committed to this flying test, which we probably should have done, given that.
Speaker 2: Unless's going for the second bite.
Speaker 1: Kind of kind of a little like, really, this is a lot. We'll see. Let's chocolate chip cookie please?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Water, yeah, let her wash down down that cookie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, clean that palate.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the first cookie. Do you need to give us your notes now, Carolina, or do you want to wait?
Speaker 4: No, wait till she she tasted the other one.
Speaker 1: She's got it, okay, gogging it that clear that out.
Speaker 2: I want it out. I don't want nothing.
Speaker 3: I want no hits on the other one.
Speaker 1: Oh, all right, she's chewing again, cookie too.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Very contemplative here, very deliberate, lots of choose like that guy on Instagram who's always chewing the food. Yeah, gotta get over the taste buds. Two bites. Those were those were willing bites.
Speaker 2: It was a lid bit.
Speaker 1: Oh. Now we've asked for the other, for the other cookie back want she wanted a cooking day. You're gonna taste it one more time.
Speaker 2: It's getting deep.
Speaker 1: It's getting deep. We're in it. We're in the cut now, guys smelling this ain't back.
Speaker 6: This is about taste liked.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. You want what I mean? This is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, her eyes, her eyes are so closed, by the way, Oh, because you saw them, that's right, she said. Her eyes are so closed because she knows what they look like.
Speaker 2: You know, they left hand cook it every time.
Speaker 4: That one upset.
Speaker 1: So so Caroline, you have a mic. But what what why why did you go with the right hand the right hand cookie a little better, a little better?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right, Fred.
Speaker 1: So let me say this. You made a good cookie, a little thin, and I think.
Speaker 2: This taste, she said, this is a little thing went right back.
Speaker 6: Oh cook it, I mean obviously, So I don't.
Speaker 2: Think you want to me.
Speaker 1: I think I like, I like to cook you a little bit better. Oh wait, you on the grind, my goda.
Speaker 6: Just like you.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's where I'm from. We got a ten second rule that.
Speaker 1: Can still be eight. But what did you what else you put in heat? Is there like cinnamon or something?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 6: No, no cinnamon.
Speaker 1: It's like there's something in here.
Speaker 6: I like it's so it's it's in the brown butter.
Speaker 1: It but that's what it is.
Speaker 6: Cook like, So what you're tasting is the brown bits that from the butter. So it separates the milk fast and turns them into solids.
Speaker 2: There's that's why mine tastes different.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I told him.
Speaker 6: First off, to get going to get your vote.
Speaker 5: I want you to get and I want you to I want you to get my boat. I want you I feel I give you my boat way since you have n't.
Speaker 1: What did you think, Jason? Jason, he can't be in the can't be in the race though, so he got just hypothetically, what was it? So Jason kept being it, you know, because he because he because Fred gives him so much crap all the time.
Speaker 6: Well, it doesn't matter. It's already three two two on.
Speaker 1: I win so slight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you like thick cookies and I got some salt. Mmm.
Speaker 1: I think that's what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who old sot you ain't supposed to taste it?
Speaker 1: No you are. Yeah, but it was so I will say that was There was a slightly more rugging.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ain't.
Speaker 5: I ain't gonna allow him to call Famous Aimings up and tell him that Fred can cook his new batchel of cookies.
Speaker 4: Man, it was famous.
Speaker 3: Don't get win off of pure taste. He didn't go off for who was the think. He didn't go off for who had the most chocolate. Y'all gotta realized Zach put miniature chocolate bar.
Speaker 2: Cookies. I use regular chocolate chip.
Speaker 5: But like I told you that it was good, it was just it was just something about it afterwards.
Speaker 1: This again, and this is I think a personal thing. But like this reminds me of cookies, Like my mom used to make something about the texture of it, like it's just it.
Speaker 2: Do you remind me of my mother that she wouldn't don't raise the whole.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying, like it's it's it's a little bit personal. They're really good there, really well made, both of them. Like what I eat both? Absolutely, yeah, of course, but you know it's Zachna, zach know you.
Speaker 3: Look like listen, this is who voted for you. Caroline, who was just homey esus in turn came in here she ate three cookies. Then a guy that can't smell nor taste.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, the crisch hearing you used to win would not look gookie.
Speaker 5: Okay, so so so should we take it to the office, and we are gonna take it to that have.
Speaker 6: A friend, just take this l you.
Speaker 2: Recipes you had, it's good.
Speaker 1: You like the buttery. You like the buttery.
Speaker 5: It's the buttery, you.
Speaker 6: Pick your ceiling, and you never stocking so much.
Speaker 4: That cookie was good.
Speaker 2: I can't know what I've had to deal with.
Speaker 1: It gave you that like the last little bite I got after the buttery.
Speaker 2: That's the first your yours need milk, milk.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I I like zax is good though. Yeah, man, the whole sentiment here, gosh, like, I'm so why am I smelling the wrong?
Speaker 3: Why am I smelling it fragrance, like sixteen times.
Speaker 4: We rock with you.
Speaker 5: So I'm you know, I'm happy that got that one man, we rock with that. But you know, I had to pick.
Speaker 4: I had to pick.
Speaker 1: But let's review real quick. So pumpkin pie Fred one, yeah, I everything.
Speaker 6: So we had we had a tie the first one.
Speaker 1: First one that was actually really good, and I liked that. Both those really good.
Speaker 6: He beat me on the when we switched sweet. It was close on the seven up cake.
Speaker 1: Dude, that was a good seven up cake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I also about it.
Speaker 1: But oh he did, We didn't.
Speaker 2: That was there's no extra point.
Speaker 1: So what I've learned from this Fred cannot play basketball, but Fred can bake. Like nobody's business.
Speaker 6: Except for my business.
Speaker 1: But Zach, But when we started this, I think you entered with an expectation, like me, that Fred could not cook and he was just talking. But Fred is an amazing cook, and so we knew you could cook because you'd always bring bake goods to the office. But so if you guys don't know Fred, Fred says he's good at everything. So it's hard to distill like what is true and what is incorrect. So I think I think this is a win for everybody, really is what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I mean, Fred is a competent baker.
Speaker 3: He'sould a guy that gotta lose your record because would this guy, right, he's the cowboys. What the cowboys do right here? They go twelve and five in the regular season, show up in the playhouse and get blue out.
Speaker 6: But this is the game we're playing right now.
Speaker 2: And I just beat you for the first for the first and I don't think you're really beat me.
Speaker 1: And again, this is one of those This is one of those things where we go back to the office and I bet you it's like half and half.
Speaker 2: I bet you bancts in office. It's gonna be seventy to thirty me.
Speaker 1: We'll report that on the next show. By that all right, So let's gonna do it. Congratulations exactly. Oh yeah, congratulations friend. I think it's the chocolate. Man, I don't know. I don't even know what I'm tasting here go. Thank you guys so much for joining the show. Please make sure you take it.
Speaker 2: Taste this. How could you be a point of taste it?
Speaker 1: Cat, I'm here, I'm hosting the show, so that so there we are, all right, Thanks so much for joining in and please do it next week, cred.
Speaker 5: We are brought to you by Bet three six five. At bet three sixty five, we don't do ordinary. We believe every sport should be epic. That's why we offer an endgame experience which covers over seventy eight sports and seven hundred and eighty live streams two ninety million customers worldwide. Our online betting brand is powered by a world class proprietary product and over seven thousand employees across the globe.
Speaker 4: Whatever sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinary.
Speaker 5: At bet three sixty five, the official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders must be twenty one plus and physically located in Virginia.
Speaker 4: Please gamble responsibly.
Speaker 5: If you or someone know has a gambling problem and wants helped, call one eight hundred Gambler.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.