Speaker 1: The Around the NFL Podcast is also sixty percent. Gee that's right.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another edition with you Around the NFL Podcast. I'm Greg Rosenthal. Alongside me here in a virtual room not quite filled with heroes, is Mark Sessler. I'm still in Japan. You're back in la We're making this happen, Mark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, this show has been a little bit different than others. I'd say right out of the gate because we're starting a little bit later, because what time is it there?
Speaker 1: It is seven thirty in the morning. Just had to kick my daughter Alis out of our shared bedroom for the for the vacation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like you in last house.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We try to typically, like we don't overplan shows days in advance. It's kind of like in these six or seven hours before you start a bunch of texting. And so I realized, you know, I had some pressing questions for Greg, and I realized, like, wait a minute, it's like two twelve am, and I'm probably blowing up his phone, and like we never really came indicated until about ten minutes.
Speaker 1: We did some plans. We got a nice show here considering I think actually the fact we had to plan a little bit. You're right. I think it's a sixteen hour difference, which is very confusing. I'm all the way into Friday morning, your Thursday afternoon, but we're pretty chunky here. We got news, some news. We haven't done a show in I think ten days. Something crazy. I was on the last show. It was a while ago, week and a half ago. Longest. We're quiet all year, and yet there isn't that much news. We've got Jordan Rodrieg who's coming in from the Athletic very shortly, who's going to talk about her great series, Play Callers, great podcast series. But she's got to stick around for our QB ranking. So this is a big show. Like the two QB index writers of the last two years, we've come together and we've combined and made a QB rankings, and then Jordan will just like tell us.
Speaker 4: Where we're wrong, just tear it apart.
Speaker 1: I hope, yes, she's cruel. Let's just bring her in instead of just talking about her've had her on many times before. She famously told us, and we all agree that Alan Robinson was going to have a monster year last year. You shouldn't have brought that up right before the show. But she also did a great job on some Monday night football recaps, and more importantly, you just did a bang up job on this podcast series about the Kyle Shanahan Coaching Tree, which you can check out on all your podcasts distributors. The play callers welcome Jordan.
Speaker 5: Guys. Thank you so much for having me. It's great to see you guys in our in our respective virtual rooms here. I think Mark and I are kind of winning here, Greg, but respect Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I see you. Yeah. It looks like I'm in a prison cellar or something like that. If you want to check us out on YouTube, youtally need to.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say asylum maybe, but.
Speaker 1: Well, on the other side of the room, it's all it's all filled up. We got pictures, we got we got things. But yeah, it's it's a little spartan here in Japan. I'm wrapping up three plus weeks here and I'll be back. We've got our NFL summit next week. We've got right back to regular shows pretty soon. But should we just jump into the news right away? I don't know.
Speaker 4: First of fifteen, yes, to talk about your block Park is sixty.
Speaker 1: But they get.
Speaker 4: Williams to the five.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could tell it's at seven thirty in the morning with that transition into the news, I'm coming out slow. Quentin Williams did not finish last season slow four years, ninety four million dollars on his extension. According to our guy, the Pell raiser, Tom Pelasero, he gets an extension. I'm glad this happened because virtually no news happened over the last week and a half. We picked the perfect time to go quiet. We've been around mark, but the Jets get an important piece of business done before training came.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think most people expected this to happen before camp. You know, there was a little bit of friction there after Jeffrey Simmons signed and there was just like, will the Jets do this? But this was one of the most dominant defensive players of the year a season ago, and I think one thing that I thought about with him was that the year before, in Robert Sala's defense, he had come off a foot injury and barely had any offseason. And so players talked about last training camp like Quinn Williams just looks different, he feels different, and you could feel something in the works and that's exactly what happened. And you know it was mid season when Baldy, our guy Baldi basically said, this is the most terror reaking player in the league right now. And Jordan, you know, when you have a dominant defensive tackle, it can change everything.
Speaker 5: Yes, I am familiar with the concept of a total star defensive tackle, but yeah, the one thing that's really cool is this always seemed like not only that it would happen. I mean, of course, you get through contract negotiations, since things come out in the news and then they you know, there's quietness and sometimes you think, oh, could this actually happen. But with Robert Sala, especially the way that he uses Quinn Williams and the impact that he has as an interior defender, especially within that scheme where you have to be able to do multiple things. You have to be able to play more than just single gap assignments, especially for what they're now doing with the coverages behind this front, in that front seven. It's just a no brainer to me, and it's always been a no brainer. And like I harken back to how endearing quinnin Williams kind of seems too. I mean, he's terrifying, but he seems a little you know that remember the sneeze and the bless you, thank you, you know that was such a wonderful moment, and where I think he just like locked into the hearts and minds of many, even outside of the fan base. And it's just to me, it's just it's just a rock star move. And having an interior defender like that, especially, you know, with what makes quarterbacks the most uncomfortable these days, I think it's absolutely crucial.
Speaker 1: He was so awesome last year and he gets I almost not confuse him in my mind, but there's a lot of similarities between him and Leonard Williams. Taking about the same spot in the draft. Both of them were like, hey, this may actually be the best player in the draft if you take out the quarterbacks or you know whatever, and similar ish career trajectories or maybe it didn't start quite as fast as you wanted. Then had a big season and the Jets let Leonard Williams go. I think Quentinn Williams is even better player. It's basically the exact same contract that Jeffrey Simmons got. We haven't seen all the details, but it looks almost identical in terms of the guarantees, the money. It's great. I love that, Jordan. This is one of the biggest weeks of your career. I'm not overstating that, right. I mean, you drop this major thing. You've gotta be frazzled. You've done a lot of media stuff and then we're just throwing you into and we're like, no, we're not going to talk about your show and just have a quick segment on that and have you on for that. We're gonna drop you into like seventy five minutes of deep defensive tackle with the Jets.
Speaker 4: Talk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but this is great though. Actually there is a tie because I did interview Robert Sola for this play Caller series, and you know, so the way that he talked about his scheme and the way that his scheme has changed, specifically what they started doing in San Francisco from twenty nineteen onward and then now with the Jets. You see him, and I know we're talking about d Lineman, but like you see him, he's playing more quarters, actual quarters, not just disguised cover three, but like actual quarters. Then he has played or deployed for his entire coaching career, and when you do that, the responsibilities of the defensive lineman, particularly some of those interior guys, changes the onus shifts on them to be able to do more things and disrupt in more types of ways. And again that's why I think this is part of why this is so crucial. It's a home run signing to me, and I think he's just a special, special player.
Speaker 3: And we'll get into your project after the news. But for Jets fans, you interview a host of individuals and you really get to know them, and Robert Sala I just came out so excited about who he is and how the arc of his career and just I don't know. I think like it's a good project, changes how you feel about people, and I think Jets fans would have a lot to learn about their head coach.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting. So Sala is gonna get the one two punch first play callers, that's the big deal. And then after that Hard Knocks, like the country is going to get to know Robert Sala. Well, it's a big summer for Sala. Hard Knocks will.
Speaker 5: Summer Sala who kind of like that summer Sala.
Speaker 1: So like it's gonna be jet I mean it's Jet Central. I know listeners to the show, like you guys talk about the Jets loot. Well, the Jets, we're the team of the offseason and they are going to continue to be. HBO is making them do Hard Knocks. That was officially announced since we last talked, and I'm excited. How could you not be excited. Let let's let's play a little clip Eric behind the Glass credit here to CBS News Bay Area. It's Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 6: One of the only things I like about Hard Knocks is the voice of God who narrates it, right Lee, I I hope I get to meet him. But look, you know, I understand the appeal with us. See, there's a lot of eyes on me, a lot of eyes on our team, lot of expectations for our squad. So they forced it down our throats and we have to deal with it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I mean, it's it is It stands out really is the only I think it's I'm glad it's them. We were texting about it a little bit yesterday a group of us, and like this was the most logical choice for high drama intrigue. The team that's changed the most this offseason because of Aaron Rodgers and maybe a version of Aaron Rodgers that changes the way we feel about him. But it is also an isolated instance of the team openly not wanting to do it and and they do have you know, full editing control over it. And I just wonder what that means for the project itself, because like, do you do hard boil Aaron Rodgers into some of those Assisians because you've got this great chemistry going with a guy who can be a little bit difficult. Does he want stuff going out there on HBO that he's not approving of?
Speaker 4: So is he part of that process?
Speaker 3: I just think it's a little bit different where team just come and lay it all there and they're happy to have the experience. And like Sola from on down just did not sound like he was he was hoping this wouldn't happen. That's an interesting dynamic.
Speaker 5: Well, it's pretty intrusive, you know. I mean, if you're if you're contending, or you think you're building now to contend, I wouldn't necessarily, I mean, I guess you could even say, like the old thing that we all hate to say all in right, I guess if you're built to legitimately contend. You want the coaching cliche of the main thing being the main thing, right, and so any extra stuff I can understand, I think from a coach or player perspective why that would feel intrusive. But at the same time, like I did think about when I saw this, you know, the Jets organization, their their media team and like their sort of PR media hybrid team, their their content team. They have like a full on studio there, and so I think there are gonna be a lot of people that take a little bit of that pressure off of the players, or it would I would assume so because of the way that they run that operation and the experience they have creating that type of content, just more so on a team level versus a national level. So I feel I feel like there's ways to help, you know, almost like protect from their being distractions or that feeling of intrusiveness.
Speaker 1: Right, listening to Aaron Rodgers huge eye roll, I don't necessarily believe that he feels like, oh no, a huge spot for Aaron Rodgers in this moment of my life. I'm really disappointed about that. Isn't really that big of a distraction. It's always been produced by NFL Films, just owned by the NFL. The teams have always had some measure of control. Some teams seem to don't really care. The Cowboys, for instance, when they've done it, seemed to like when they did all or nothing, they just they just let it fly. And some others you can tell are pretty tightly controlled. And we can say the Jets didn't want it. I mean, the Jets are Woody Johnson, their owner, and I believe he wanted it, and so that's the Jets. I don't this the whole thing of like the the NFL films is making them do it. No, the Jets. At some level the Jets had to agree to do it, and that's ownership. And I buy that that Robert Salad doesn't want to do it, and the coach. Some of the players, I'm sure have mixed feelings or whatever. It's a lot of extra attention, But I.
Speaker 3: Don't Aaron Rodt, don't you think that probably ninety three percent of players would would run to do this project. I think it's just a coaching angle, if anything, where there's like, yes, it could it could be. I mean, I think back to the Hugh Jackson experience, where Hard Knocks totally unmasked him as a weird leader, a weird dynamic with his own coaching Sephal League. That's when things can go south. I don't think that happens with this coaching staff at all.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: I think it makes you look better if if you've got your stuff together. Sometimes it makes fairly incompetent organizations look better. I watched the Arizona Cardinals in season Hard Knocks, and like you would know that they were a total house on fire watching that thing, they looked fine. They actually were pretty likable Vance Joseph and JJ Watt. So I'm excited though that there's gonna be like a lot to go through. I hope uh Dan's doing that Hard Knocks podcast. Do we know that yet? I guess it should?
Speaker 4: I believe you, No, I think they.
Speaker 3: I walked in on a meeting where I think that was being discussed. I don't know if I was supposed to be at that meeting.
Speaker 5: But from Mark Sessler, okay, well, because yeah they did.
Speaker 1: Him and Colleen did a bang up job last year, and now it's the gen Z. You gotta do it all right. We're going to go through some very short news before getting to the rest of the show, because we got a meety show. We'll start just with running backs. I'll throw these two out together. Alvin Kamara pleaded no contest to a mis demeanor charge that was stemming from that alleged assault he had in Las Vegas last year. It was it's now a misdemeanor. He settled out of court in a civil case. The NFL can now move forward with ever any punishment they want. Seems like this was the best possible outcome for Kamara. And then I'm also going to throw out there that Saquon Barkley is coming close to this franchise tag deadline to sign long term contract, and ESPN's Diana Rassini mentioned week one could be in jeopardy. Why why don't you pick one of those two, Jordan and tell me what you think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I actually I covered Sakwon Barkley in college, so I'll pick I'll pick Sekwon Barkley here. Yeah, I mean, obviously this is a part of it, right, Things get tenser and tenser as the deadline approaches. You know, I I really I remember the show you guys did several weeks ago about running backs, the history of like running backs, holding out and what could actually mean to to your career.
Speaker 1: I just always try to butter us up. Say, and you listen to some recent show I do.
Speaker 6: I love you.
Speaker 5: I love this show. You guys, don't you have no idea? Like it's a I listened. I've listened to every episode.
Speaker 1: Is glowing right now. I mean I haven't seen Margan a couple of weeks, and he's his summer glowing is just getting better and better. So you should.
Speaker 4: I just I believe that that she does listen.
Speaker 3: I think there's enough proof and enough ever, this is a trusty reporter, so I'll take her out a word.
Speaker 1: Right, you you definitely listen a lot because you know that we especially me in repped you in the middle of your point. Sorry about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I handle it so well, you know, like because because I'm ready for it. Yeah. I actually have a little timer that I reset every single time. Greg. But but yeah, no, I think you know, there's it's hard to know who has more leverage here. Obviously that offense is so so so dynamic with him in it. It can be so much more multiple with him in it. You know, thread of the run, even an adequate to above average run game is so significant to how other teams will defend you. But this is kind of part of it, right, I mean, I I think we're just going to keep Some of these tensions will spill out a little bit, or I don't even want to call it tensions, because this is just a part of the negotiation process. You'll hear little drips and drabs start to leak out from from really well established and trustworthy you know, national reporters, and you know I don't. For me, I'm not obviously on the ground reporting on this sitchuation, but I think it is a complicated conversation. You think about where running back contracts are right now, where the quote unquote life span of a career of a running back is right now. But you also think, hey, if you think your team might be better than you maybe than they were, or you think your team might be ready to try to really make something happen here or start to put something together, and Brian Dable really coach that group up last year, and if you think there's a chance you could keep that momentum rolling, Oftentimes organizations will maybe forsake some of that market logic. We saw the Rams do it like over and over and over again in their quest to win a Super Bowl, and sometimes the market logic gets a little bit forsaken if it means, you know, you think you can keep that forward progress rolling and really build a team that can at least contend in the postseason.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think.
Speaker 3: People also saw the Cowboys do it with Ezekiel Elliott, which is a bit of a cautionary tale on that front. I mean, there's only two running backs right now making over fourteen million a year, and one of them is Christian McCaffrey, who is an absolute difference maker when he's available, and the other is Alvin Kamara, who probably will not be available for a big chunk of this to start the season because what happened with him is on video, and I do wonder I'm eyeing to see how long with the end of how they handle that, how long a suspension might be. I mean, this is someone they knocked a group. He and his he and his cadre knocked a man unconscious and broke his like orbital bone, and it's on video, so I don't know. I mean, we've had we've had a string of suspensions where in the past couple years where you just don't know what the NFL is gonna do. I would I would guess it would be something like six weeks. Greg, I don't know what you'd think, but it just seems like when there's a video attached, it grows in severity. It's hard to shake those images. And I don't know it's big for the Saints. They're lucky that he's not the only running back that could start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they drafted one in the in the third round, kind of a through down type of back. We'll see. I have no idea what the suspension will be for him, and I don't believe for a second that Sakoon Barkley would meet miss week one. I tend to think Kamara's suspension won't be that long, but we've learned guessing suspensions is almost impossible. Let's wrap it up with a couple random stories. I thought it was interesting the Germany Games. Not a huge surprise, but there was something like there were hundreds of thousands of people waiting to buy those tickets and it's sold out in an instant. I am really excited for those Germany games. This here. Don't know if there's a chance we would be going. I hope we could go to either London or Germany. We'd be happy to do either. It would be great. Germany is my dad's homeland. But we'll see. And then finally, Mark, you wanted this story, and I love it when you dive deep into the news, the important stuff and want something mentioned. So I will let you take the floor on the huge news that Sam Darnald was living in George Kittle's poolhouse. I believe for a short time when he when he joined the team and started OTAs and I believe he was on pardon my take, and talked about that there was some supernatural energies he was he was picking up in that poolhouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he basically described, you know, I think it is like a new player in town staying in Kittle's pool house for a stretch of time, and that uh one.
Speaker 4: I'll read his quote here.
Speaker 3: He said, I've never had anything like this happened to me before one evening during his stay, he woke up around three in the morning and briefly felt as though he just could he was paralyzed, he could not move, and he said the next night the same thing happened where he was you know, frozen in place, and he kept focusing on this thing in the in the corner of the room, and he sort of described it as the eerie sense of like an apparition. And I don't know, like I've always viewed Sam Darnald as a perfectly nice personality, but a rather milk toast persona. This is a new fold to his experiences in life, and like, you know, they tried to press them to make it a little more wacky than it was. But my whole thing is like, where is George Kittle on this? Like you've got a pool house that apparently has a ghost in it. I just like to dig in more on the whole situation.
Speaker 5: My first thought was like, oh, man, I'm kind of worried. Is he's describing a panic attack? Like I felt like as a human, like a little con I mean, you know you maybe sometime you have a panic attack. You can't breathe, you can't move, maybe you see things. You know, I'm like, oh that was My first reaction was like, oh, buddy, you know that stinks. But then I then my second thought was, is George Kittle pranking him? This is my This is my second thought, you know, welcome welcome to the team. Here's the ghost in my pool house.
Speaker 1: Well, it doesn't doesn't sound like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, well that feels logical though, knowing what we know of him, I will say one.
Speaker 1: Time I got to hire a ghost, though. I mean, that's complicated, that's tough.
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's black market stuff. I when I was in high school, I went to this totally absurd uh summertime because I was like in student council and it was like they sent some of us to this thing called Boys State. Okay, where you go and you do like a mock government. And my friend and I were like, we're not doing We're not doing the mock government thing. They had like an attache like daily newspaper, and so we joined this newspaper with no literally no boss or oversights.
Speaker 4: So we were five kids.
Speaker 3: Living like in a dorm room cranking out these absurd daily papers. I'll only mention this because.
Speaker 1: About what what was the topic of the papers?
Speaker 3: We just well we vaguely covered like this forming student government.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: We we broke into some of the rooms and took like government documents. We created our own sports page, and there was no internet, So, like I wrote a story that Dan Marino had been traded to the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 4: And then you just watch like the lunch room.
Speaker 3: Start to catch fire, as this false rumor has been spreading around this entire thing, and know that you got people on their payphones calling their dads and stuff, and was just all blowny.
Speaker 4: But like.
Speaker 3: At night, we were totally unsupervised, and this was on this campus in Connecticut, and we walked we saw like up in the sort of an attic area, this one building, this green light, and we were like, what's going on up there? So a couple of us, because could have been a good story, we walked up these stairs to the top of this building and it was a locked door. But as we got closer and closer, three or four of us, like our bodies completely froze. We couldn't move for like minutes, and then finally like wet snapped out of it and everyone ran out of there, and we couldn't talk about it for like the next day or two. So something when I read this thing from Sam Darnald's, like, I have one experience in my life where I was like I can't explain what happened. It was like frozen panic and it wasn't like just me, It was like three or four of us were left totally inoperable for like the next hour or so.
Speaker 4: So I don't know who knows.
Speaker 5: That ghost was pretty pissed about the rumor you started. Yeah, it's like I'm gonna get this guy.
Speaker 1: The ghost of was powerful.
Speaker 5: I don't know just dolphinspan.
Speaker 1: He was that powerful. I love that connection. I have not heard that story Mark, and I wonder how often do you think about that story?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Probably like once a once a day.
Speaker 5: If you guys had a ghost, would you like, would you be like, hey, man or a lady or whoever you know, take your space. It's fine mutual respect, like your saying I'll do my thing, or would you try to do something about it. I feel like I'm the first one I would. I would just be like, you do your thing. You know you were probably here first, so you go for it. Please don't hurt me. Other than that, like all good, all you drop on conversations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think as long as it's thing isn't like suddenly you walk out in the kitchen and like every drawer is open and like plates are shattered over the keep your playfulness. Let's just cohab it together. We can try to make.
Speaker 5: This wark roommates.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The breaking news here really is that now Sam Donald is more interesting to Mark Sessler for the twenty twenty three seasons, I think to all of us.
Speaker 5: I really don't want to tee this up. I'm so sorry, you guys can kick me off the show. Is Sam Donald like now literally seeing ghosts? M of course, I'm so sorry, kick me off the show.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry? How did we miss that?
Speaker 1: How did we miss that? All right, let's take a quick break and we will come back talking play collars and some QB rankings. If there's one coach in the NFL that can can stop Sam Donald, can help Sam Donald from seeing ghosts, it's your boy, Jordan Kyle Shanahan, who you know, isn't the total subject of your new podcast, Play Guards, but does kind of start with him. And like I mentioned at the top of the show, everyone should check it out wherever you get your podcasts. It's a limited series podcast. It's fantastic. It's about the Shanahan coaching tree and their influence on the NFL. But before we talk about it for a few minutes, let's listen to a little clip here from Kyle himself.
Speaker 5: Kyle threw himself into football, whether hanging on too Mike Shanahan's every word, crossing paths in Denver with the Broncos teenage ball boy named Mike McDaniel by the way, or preparing for the college game that first sent him to Duke and then to Texas.
Speaker 7: That's why I was able to earn a scholarship, not because I was naturally that good. I was an okay high school player, but I knew how to work in the standard of how to work. And it was because I saw it as life and death. I saw it as now, that's what I do. Even though I went to college to play football, which probably isn't the best thing to tell everybody, but it was for me, and that's what I saw in my mind. I was playing football. All I would do is work out because I wanted to be a receiver. I remember when I transferred to Texas and we had finals during our bull practices. Were all supposed to miss the practice because we had a final, and I was the only one who was redshirting because I transferred there. I've been waiting for this scrimmage and I had a final on that day and I just showed up to the scrimmage and everyone was trying to make me leave, saying I'll fail the class. And I had to argue with everyone there, like, I know I'll fail the class, and that's a decision I'm making right now. I'm not missing this practice. And even though I had like I had a c in there, all it turned into en f because I would not miss the practice. And it wasn't that I was trying to show the coaches how committed I was. It was just how one track my mind was.
Speaker 1: So that's a clip from Play Callers, and it goes deep, like what what did you come out of this thinking about Kyle specifically and how the other guys kind of look at him.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's their identities, not just in football, but like amongst each other. Is something that explore. It is explored through the course of the series because they all had this massive impact on each other, these four in particular, and you know, you do get questions, you know, why did you pick these four? Why are these because they were all together in Houston, some of them in Atlanta and then also in Washington, and they really the way that they worked with each other and also fought with each other under Kyle, who was all of their boss at one point, which shapes the dynamic. Henceforth, then it formed these evolutions and these ripple effects that sort of moving and shaping the league and changing faster and faster and faster. And that was really one of my main takeaways is after you know, I left the interview, I was like, Okay, I get it in terms of why they're all of the dynamics were what they were, and how they debated with each other and how they argued, but in a way that created ideas, and that functional competition that sometimes could veer toward the dysfunctional, that really helped bring forth these ideas because everyone was competing to get call on his call sheet, whether it was you know, Matt Lafleur, Mike mc Mike, me Daniel or Sean McVay. The entire goal was to get calls on his call sheet, which when you start the foundation of your friendship or your you know, colleague relationship or you know that that way, that automatically sets quite a tone for whatever happens to you as a group moving forward.
Speaker 3: I just I think anyone, no matter how drenched you are in the NFL would learn so much from this, and it really is about the nature of their personalities, and like that's just a great example the the I you know, I get the concept of like coaches want to be heard and they want to have input, but the obsessive nature of trying to have your imprint on a game plan and beyond that, like even to create a play from scratch. You had a great example that if like someone went to Kyle Shanahan with an idea, it was like he would mercilessly take you through the task of trying to undo that play concept like this is why it won't work. You tell me why it will work. And it's just like he seems like I thought your obsession with this project helped explain their obsession. Like there was just this drum beat throughout it, and I do becous it was just like you. I mean, I could tell that you enjoyed talking to them and in reverse too. There's not a lot of football projects out there that really remind me of this. I mean, I think it's the perfect blend of like I could tell you, you know, you put you of a lot of what it must I would wonder. I want to know how you wrote sort of the script around the interviews because so much work went into that. I binged it today and like all these different voices who had shared experiences found a way to tell new stories every time, and like, I will just give one little thing that I could not that I found gripping because we all remember RG three's rookie year and you went through with Kyle and others like the and Mike McDaniel's obviously just incredible. You find out that he's not just good at the mic, like there's just this nature tone where like they all these cons confidence about what they do. But with RG three that they sat him down before his rookie year, and Greg, you'll remember this that like we went into week one having no idea what that offense is going to look.
Speaker 4: Like they kept it a secret. They tried so hard.
Speaker 3: Not to have anyone whisper about it, and they work so closely with RG three that they went through every single one of his bailor snaps and then they were like, bang, wait a minute, to use him correctly and to totally cap you know, get defenses bewildered from the start. It's like we're just going to implement the pistol, which now it's like all these teams started to do that after, but it's like they completely showed up as a terrorizing mystery from week one and it was like that's the beauty of Kyle Shanahan and his staff, and they were so competitive about it.
Speaker 4: So I just like, I have a little more to go.
Speaker 3: It went to it, but I think like, if you're a listener, you'll keep doing the thing where you go back fifteen seconds or back thirty seconds, because I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, wait, what did he just say? Like, there's just it's in a.
Speaker 3: Good way, very dense. You put so much work into it, and I think it's one of the most incredible projects foot that I've ever experienced.
Speaker 4: So congratulations, Oh thank you, Mark.
Speaker 5: That's so nice of you to say, yeah, this is the work that went into it. Of course it's not about that. It's about who these people are and what they said. But the reporting process, I mean, it's it's a year of like deep dive reporting and research, and it's not just talking to the voices that you hear, which you know are of course these four, but also Robert Salah, Brandon Staley, people, personnel, people, across the league, Rgi Thie, Andrew Whitworth, you know, coaches and analysts, and Steve Weish is great in it also, And you know it's not it wasn't just that. It's also talking to people around these people and talking to people on background, and hours and hours and hours of study because I had this theory and this hypothesis that because I'd seen Uh being a beat writer, I think afforded me this gift of looking at this story in a specific way and I being on the ground watching all of these things the Rams have done for the last you know, five six seven years. There were certain moments in their timeline where there were inflection points and very clear pivots. It was like the head coach was showing his work, not just of what he was trying to do and how he was trying to evolve his own system forward. But I'm not talking about like the moves even. I'm talking about schematically out there on the field watching at practice, and you could see those inflection points and they were they were. It was also as his identity as a coach was forming. And the series goes into that with all of these guys. Because I went into this with this theory that I approached them all with, over many, many many requests to actually, hey, can we sit down and talk. You know, I approach them with this theory like I think that you are like living your football life, and you are living your football for a lot in real time. And I think what is different about this generation of coaches specifically, is they are showing their work. They are showing the why of what they're doing, because it is so twisted up with who they are as people, for better and for worse, that they can't help but resemble their offenses and vice versa. You see it in every single one of these coaches, and that's something that I think makes them really unique. And it also it exposes them in a way where and I don't say that in a negative way. I mean like it just they're right, They're right there out in front of you. And I think that was part of the reason why they were so comfortable talking about some of these things that you won't hear them normally talk about, or any coach normally talk about, because they understand that this is this is what the bargain that they have made in order to constantly be on the front of those innovation loops that they try to create and then outrun their own creations.
Speaker 3: I do want to ask, because like, you go deep with so many them, you got to know them, Like which one of these coaches is like and I say this in a nice way, which which one is just the biggest psycho?
Speaker 4: Because I mean, they.
Speaker 3: All seem to me so insanely, you know, wedded to this process.
Speaker 5: I think they all have those qualities in different ways. No, and I mean it kindly obviously, like but but it they all have this certain type of obsessiveness. But it was also like fingerprints, right, everything, every strain of that obsessiveness differed from each and everyone. Like after I got done talking to Kyle Shanahan, I first of all thought maybe, like I might be murdered, like midted, but like I get like the answer, he's really really intense, but it but that's but it's but then you think, like you know, sometimes you'd sit with Mike week Daniel and you'd be just like blown away by why is this guy being so candid, Like why is he so comfortable talking about where he gets ideas? He I've never heard a coach that early in his career, first second year third year, fifth year head coaches are so like careful with how they talk about football to not give anything away because they always they feel like they're on the back foot because they have to catch up to everybody else. And Mike instead was like, let me tell you the time I dreamed up a left handed fake boot for Tua, like and it went eighty yards for a touchdown, like sick man, cool, I'll take it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then and you sit there and you think like you're almost frozen, like, you know, thinking why in the heck is this person telling me this? But then you realize it's just how they live. They they it's how they process out loud. And then on the other hand, like when I talk to Kyle, like I got a very different sense from him than a lot of the other guys because you get this like long haul trucker feel where it's like, you know he is. There's a darkness to what coaches do, especially coaches who are at the forefront of new ideas and trying to be the ones who are competing to not just win games, but to have a legacy that says they helped shape the game, which is where I think, even maybe more so than wins and losses. What a lot of these coaches want is to have been known in their careers as somebody who impacted the sports timeline. And there's a darkness to that because, like I said, you're creating these loops of innovation, and the second you created one answer to one problem, it will never work the same again. You are hunted by everyone else. You're constantly sprinting trying to outrun the thing that you created, and if it catches you, you might lose years, like we saw with Sean McVay and the Patriots, and like you might and Mike McDaniel says it it took years off his life, like you know, like it's there's a darkness to it. But then you have these certain people. You have people who are grappling with it, which Sean McVay very much did through twenty twenty two, grappling with what that means and what a life of that will mean. You have people who are very comfortable living there. And I know everyone makes the joke about Kyle Shanahan's like dark quotes about we don't know if anyone's going to be alive, you know, from what was it a couple of years ago, but there was this sense.
Speaker 1: Of he was born in the darkness.
Speaker 5: You have to like it's the goth NFL coach, right, No, but like you have to you have to exist there and get comfortable existing there, almost to a point where it is how your brain works versus something that you can that you step in and out of and of of any of them. Really, it felt like he was the one. And that's why I started joking He's the long haul trucker, because it felt like he was the one who was so comfortable existing in that space where you're constantly at conflict with yourself and you're constantly being strained like a rubber band. You want to test it and see how far you can stretch it before it snaps, even though you know it will hurt like hell if it snaps. And I think that that's something that was super interesting and a theory I had had because you know, it just seemed like that was how it would be. And then going and doing like sort of an archaeological dig and trying to figure all of this out, like I said, through a year of reporting it just was. It ended up being an incredibly fascinating experience.
Speaker 1: I mean, Kyle is a product of his father, and you know, his father's up you know, for Hall of Fame consideration and everything, and it's just so interesting to me that he is. He is the continuation because to me, Mike Shanahan is a Hall of Famer because he changed the NFL. And I actually think Kyle and this whole generation almost should be taken into consideration with Mike because if you're around for the Mike Shannan days, even in the J. Cutler era, even in the post l Way era, like he was the one that was ahead of the rest of the league in terms of the schemes, and except there his his guys weren't having that success, but everyone knew he was the guy, and there there was a darkness to him in a serious way, and I think it, I think it messed up his career. There's a great book called A Few Seconds of Panic, which is weirdly one of the best football books I've ever read by this this guy who like sat in as a kicker in the Broncos training camp. But I recommend people read it, and it gave a great behind the scenes of like how tortured sort of Shanahan was. And and I just think Kyle like learned everything from his father like that and then continued it. And it's just like a dynasty in terms of how they've changed the NFL. But Kyle, I think something he did better was treat the people underneath him better and gave them agency. And you see that, and you see that in the confidence of McDaniel, who's who's earlier in his career and maybe not doesn't have the bruises that that Kyle has. And it's awesome. Everyone should check it out. I sometimes think, like I loved those old books by Paul Zimmerman, The Thinking Guide Man to Football, and those are all a lot of that is about scheme, and it's about the evolution of scheme, and it has coaches speaking very openly about scheme and players and you really learn a lot. And that was the type of stuff I really loved. I know Chris Westling, our great friend, really loved those books because it's how we learned about football. And sometimes you think, man, I wish those types of books were being written now, and and your project kind of get me thinking like this is the new version of that, Like maybe those books aren't exactly being written now. I hope I hope they will be. You'd read a great one, Jordan, But like this podcast series is a version of that, of sort of moving the medium forward.
Speaker 3: So you know, Greg, this is this happens to us sometimes, and like typically if we're in the studio, you look over at my laptop. But the note that I had here in purple is this is a bomb drop that made me think of Ze I mean, like exactly, it's it's his. It's like, there just aren't that many things out there like this. And so it's also the perfect time of year as we're getting back if you're a fan, that's you know, coming off your vacations, like you're getting back into this, Like it's not a refresher, it's just like a super deep I've into an unexpected lake of knowledge, and like it's the right time to do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I could, I just wanted to share one thing too. You know, first of all, that's thank you. I'm as you could see, I'm very getting very red over here. YouTube watchers will all right, we'll bring you down asking your Desmond takes. What did what did Mark say?
Speaker 1: Arthur?
Speaker 5: It's going to FedEx some weirdness into the Falcons offense.
Speaker 1: That was a good one.
Speaker 5: I see, I told you I listened to the show. You do I religiously than I do.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: So those books that that you talked about, like they're an example of having access to ideas and democracy in football, like making ideas available to everybody and making giving people access to what it is really like and throughout the entire course of the series. And I'm sure you guys can I can speak to this as well. There's all these examples and they see they seem like, really, they're really interesting stories. It's why I put them in there, as they're fascinating stories. But I also put them in there because it illustrates what happens when you have access from a young age in your coaching career for a variety of reasons, or what can happen when you are Kyle Shanahan and you are sitting in you know, Tampa Bay and you're lurking in defensive meetings some of the greatest defensive coaches that have ever walked among us. And then also you're logging plays, you know, on one of those giant old square computers, right, and you're logging plays out of the NFL's largest playbook at that time that nobody has access to because the Internet isn't the internet we know today, and you know, PDFs don't exist of this thing, and you know, people aren't going out and clinicing it and things like that. And so you see these examples, and then he's training other coaches, training you know, Sean McVay, he's training Matt lafleur, he's training Mike McDaniel in what those ideas are and what that knowledge is. And so one of the things that I really wanted to do was show that while also reminding people that you know, not everybody has access to those ideas, and you know, this is this is a project where I wanted people to feel like they were being let in, that they could see and hear and feel what people in these positions are talking about as football changes, as football evolves, as ideas happen, because when more people have access to those ideas, they turn those into opportunities, they turn those into change. And I think that that is something that I really wanted people to feel, was like, you aren't on the outside looking in with this project. You are You're sitting in the chair with me. You are right there with me listening to some truly unhinged rants at times, but also some really really smart, really interesting, really really cool football stuff. How it happens, how it's made, how it works, why it works, and how it shapes people, and also how it shapes the identity of the sport that we love.
Speaker 1: So everyone check that out, Play callers, let's take a quick break again, play callers, Jordan, we're not we're not done with you yet. That we're gonna talk QB rankings, and we'll do that right after the break. All right, and we are back. Mark, we've done the QB Index the last two years. You did it, true that I did it two years ago, did it some years previous. A great friend Chris Uh did it for a few years as well. And I thought, you know, before we get training camps started, we're a little less than two weeks away some of those Hall of Fame teams I think show up next week. Let's get these QB rankings down from the guys who know me and you. We're the experts. So we we put our rankings together, Jordan, and we combined them. But it turns out we didn't really need to because Mark and I were more similar on these rankings and we didn't know what each other picked. We're seeing this after the fact. We combined our rankings to make a one around the NFL official quarterback ranking entering the twenty three season, and it was shocking how few players we disagreed on, like twenty five plus of them twenty eight of them almost were within one or two spots. It is very strange there's only a couple we disagreed, but that's fine. That means that we were in agreement on where everything's standing. I'm going to go back to front and I'm going to do it in tiers, so we don't, you know, have a two and a half hour show. So let's start from thirty two to twenty eight, I believe. And we did include rookies in our rankings. None of the rookies are right here, so these are kind of the guys who have been in the league. But we're not really feeling coming into the year. We had a tie in last with Colt McCoy in Desmond Ridder. We had Sam Howell at thirtieth, we had Baker Mayfield at twenty ninth, and we had Jordan Love at twenty eighth. So those five teams, you're going into the season. I mean, Cardinals fans don't need to be told this, but the other ones might be a little disappointed that they're going into the season with about as low expectations at quarterback at a time when I feel like there's higher expectations in a deeper group of quarterbacks, Mark than ever who stuck out to you the most out of that group. I mean, I think for me, it's just sort of a lot of incomplete, like we just don't know what Desmond Ridder is beyond a very small sample size.
Speaker 3: Same with Howell you know Love. It's like guys where it's like this, the where they end up on this list, you know, a year from now could be very different. I think I think of like even last season doing QBNX, and just as an aside, Greg, it's not that different than me trying to bring this project to Kyle Shanahan because you started qb Index and so I'm like, you know, wondering all day long, like what will Gregg's results be compared to mine? And is this going to be another disaster? So I'm kind of happy to see how close we were, but you know, got like last year justin fields, when Imember doing this in September, hovered at like thirty through thirty two for a big chunk of time and then completely grew into something else. And so I think these are just guys where it's like we've got some rookies coming up next, we just don't know, we don't know, and like that. But there's no evidence that it's like, wait a minute, Desmond Ridders blowing my mind from what I saw either, So you're down at the near bottom of the list.
Speaker 1: No, I went and watched Desmond Ridders games. Is as good a time to give my reviews. And look, I know there's there's like a push. I've seen it from Dan Orlovsky, for instance, Ben Solac, former guests of the of the Pod, who's seeing some good things in Ritter and China, hype them up going into the season. I watched those games, and I didn't see it. I did see that he got a little better every week. One thing he did was he prevented his probably standout trait was like he didn't make many bad decisions. That's pretty good. I mean, that's something, But he also didn't show you anything else that felt plus that like there was no other trait certainly wasn't his playmaking or his running his creativity that was that was almost a little disappointing. It's not his arm, it's not his accuracy. So I just look at the NFL now, it's like, not making a mistake isn't enough to be your greatest asset, And maybe he'll be there mentally where he can get It just feels like the floor is low. So I had him, did I have him dead last going into the year, because I think I mean, I had Colt McCoy last, but I had Ridder next, because at least with Howell and Baker, I guess who I had thirtieth. You had him twenty eighth. You had him a little higher than me. Like, I just feel like there's a little more of a ceiling there where Ridder's hoping I feel like to be early career Alex Smith.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, well, I think that being neutral, like you're saying not making a mistake, so that makes you sort of like put you in that neutral zone as a player where you're not fluctuating highly up or down. I think that maybe would outrank people who have a history of making lots of mistakes, right.
Speaker 1: Right right If he can continue that way, he would be better than Baker for instance.
Speaker 5: Yeah and so, But but I also think that, like I did not participate in this, I'm just here to judge so and to try to nitpick in various ways, but or agree with everything you guys say. That'd probably be easier. But you know that the thing that I think about with specifically, again, not to bring it back with a shameless plug, but Arthur Smith is one of the branches out of this in a very different way. He's got his own fingerprints on it in terms of various other people that he's worked on, of the system, and and a lot of what sometimes you see and Kyle Shanahan does this a little bit too, But sometimes you see this gravitation of offensive coaches who try to make their run game their quarterback quote unquote, or make the run game the thing that is most going to threaten or make the run games the thing that has the most multiplicity in it, and have somebody who can, you know, again, not set them back, not make mistakes. And you find sometimes in the earliest iterations of what this is, you find sometimes that that can raise the floor of the entire team. So when you know Obviously I didn't participate in this exercise, but I almost wonder how much like Fit and Roll plays into this because normally we think about quarterbacks, we think, no, they have to be judged in a vacuum, because they are the guy, so they should be judge in a vacuum. And I think in most cases that is true, but in some cases, with some offenses, in some systems, I almost wonder if part to whole is a little bit more of a rational way to judge. And then I also agree a lot of incompletes. Right. I wish it was like we love lists, right, because we're the NFL is an ordered sport. We like numbers and you know, wins and losses and you know, and we also like listing things, especially this time you're but I think, like I wish it was like sixteen and then a big pool, you know, yeah, and this listen.
Speaker 1: We'll get to the rookies next, or just kind of like whatever, how we're all just guessing with Howell and Jordan Love. Although Jordan Love I find more interesting than most. I feel like I feel like his floor and ceiling are crazy. I do think his ceiling is way higher than people think and I just think he's been a fascinating player when he's been on the field in the preseason and in the regular season in that he makes more insane throws per throw than just about anyone and he makes crazy decisions too. So I am interested, Jordan, Like you know, with Lafloor, it's a great It's a big moment for Lafloor because it's a totally different quarterback. It's a totally different test, and it's a test of Lafloor, like what he's really got Can he really coach like a a a fourth year player and love but who as actually older than almost everyone he's throwing to.
Speaker 5: Yeah. One thing that was really cool about reporting this project was entering that building as they were transitioning into a new era because you could really feel it. I can't really describe what it felt like, but everyone was searching, seeking, So you know, Matt Lafleur is really open in one of the episodes about what teams he's watching, like he flat out talks about it and where he's getting ideas from and who he's like wanting to potentially steal plays from, like they all, you know, everyone in the league does, but specifically how he's thinking about that. And I think there's there's a lot that has been said and discussed about the compromise that went into running an offense with you know, Aaron Rodgers Hall of Fame quarterback and what that meant, and especially someone who was very particular about the things that he wanted to do versus what the system asked for and how to change those types of things. And but I think even with a quarterback with way less experience and you know is who is so much less of a known talent, it's Jordan love Is, there's still compromise that comes into it. You're still trying to help your quarterback feel successful in the system that you are running and in the plays that he is calling. And so that's just going to look different. But it's not like compromise goes away, because I think that's something that Matt Lafleur really learned, not just with Aaron Rodgers, but he talks about it with Matt Ryan too, of how you learn how to work with what feels right and feels comfortable for the guy that you have throwing the ball and calling you know, the play to the other ten people in the huddle. Where player in specifically and what Matt Laflora does, player often wins over scheme, whereas in a lot of other iterations of this offense, scheme always just dominates player or had in the past. And so I think that's what I'm most interested in, and I think it's like it's going to be an evolving thing. I don't know if we could say what the offense would look like right now, because you know, mattla Fleur got to La with Sean McVay, and they thought they were going to come out and run all twelve personnel in twenty seventeen, and then they got through half of OTA's and decided they didn't like that plan, and then they scrapped it and then changed the entire plan around to as that hugely high deployment of eleven personnel that we see today. So I think he can pull from his experiences and his quote unquote is roots in that regard, because this is going to be something that does change as the season goes, and even as training camp goes, they're probably going to just try stuff at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a weird fit. I mean, love to me fits that offense even less naturally than Aaron Rodgers certainly does. I don't see it. Jordan Love like with just like doing quick get you know, getting the ball out of his hands quickly all the time. That's not necess earliest strength. Let's go to the weirdest section on the group and probably have the least to talk about Mark here, which is just like rookies and Russell Wilson. I don't know how Russell Wilson got stuck down here, partly because you ranked him twenty seventh. I had him twenty second. I at least saw like I could see Russell Wilson. And it's not just because Sean Payton's air, but I can see Russell Wilson being closer to league average this year. And so this is where we just stuck the rookies because we kind of didn't know where to put him. We had him in order Bryce Young we had twenty fourth overall, Wilson is twenty fifth, Anthony Richardson is twenty sixth, and Stroud is twenty seventh. We pretty much had the same order in terms of rookies, Young, Richardson, Stroud in terms of this year. And that's what we're judging on, by the way, is this year. We're not talking about five years, I'm not talking about three years. We're just like, who would you want this year? And Russell Wilson stuck with a bunch of rookies. It's a pretty big change.
Speaker 3: I mean, Russell Wilson was not at any point during the last time we saw him the twenty second best quarterback in the league. So I think that's what makes the exercise a little bit tough, Like.
Speaker 1: Right, you're trying to reset it and saying where you think you'll be this year? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: But to Jordan's point, like it would make me think differently about Desmond Ritter as the worst quarterback in the league because he's set up to thrive in an offense that's going to literally physically destroy people. So I don't know that that's sort of the challenge here. But for me, Wilson, I'm fine with him being at twenty seven. He's a little inflated here for my liking rookies at CBA, I initially just had rookies like in their own category and just did twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah I would I probably would have preferred that too, and Wilson would make sense at the top of that last tier. We just talked about. So it's fine.
Speaker 5: I would love to see if you guys would draw this out like on actual sheets of paper or like a dry erase board or something, because you'd have like order and structure and then this giant like mass of names and then like Russell Wilson over here out wide on an island, or and like someone else over here, Like I would just I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, Urry Eric has it color coding on a Google spreadsheet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we should share that with people.
Speaker 3: But like doing this last year for the first time, there was like strange Mondays in October. I'm like, there's fourteen quarterbacks that all sort of are just the same level of value to their team. I mean, you got out of the top yes, twelve thirteen, and it becomes a murky, murky complex swamp.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I love doing this though, because otherwise, now that you know I'm not doing QBNDX, you just don't do it. And just to see where the names are and I'm thinking about where they were in previous years. I think it's a helpful exercise because the next group I'm going to include like a lot of the guy and this is a big group, and to me, it's sort of the Dalton line and below and a big group of them, and I'm going to go all the way up to sixteen because I now I'm gonna make this one shorter. We'll make it a mini group. We'll go Derek Carr at nineteen. We got Jimmy G at twenty Mac Jones, who I think Mark, maybe my enthusiasm for has rubbed off on you or vice versa. I don't know. I think collectively we probably have him higher in this exercise than most would. Kenny Pickett's at twenty two, and then Brock Purdy is at twenty three. Let's start with Purdy because that actually was a player. I believe we disagreed on the most. You had him nineteenth, so you had a much closer Adulton line. I had him twenty seventh. I tried to take him out of that system, and I just tried to think of these other guys, Mac Jones for instance, Derek Carr for instance, some of these guys Jimmy G. Which maybe is an awkward comparison because you could say pretty outplayed Jimmy G last year, and think like if I put him in San Francisco's system, Like who do I want more and Purty maybe I'm just a hater lost out on that exercise for me to most of these guys. So I had a much lower you had him nineteenth. I'm fine with him landing where he did, which was twenty third, but he's at the bottom of this tier. That's with car Jimmy g Mac Pickett and Purty.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's certainly another wait and see. And I have been pro Purty the entire time, probably possibly too much. And that's another one where it's hard for me to separate, like who is this player versus everything I've just learned about, you know, in years prior in today about Kyle Shanahan. It's like I could trust Kyle Shanahan to like turn like Natalie Portman into a functional signal caller. So it's like, I really, I really like think that we need to see more from Brock Purty, and we need to see more from defenses that have learned a lot about him over the course of an offseason. But show me the game where he didn't thrive. I mean, if that's who he is, it's like I kind of don't really care because I don't have any evidence that he is a much lesser quarterback. I mean, he's not going to destroy you with his athleticism, but talk about the great decision making. I mean I hear I listen to how his own teammates talk about him, and that kind of sold me too, because it's like this, some of these guys, they come out of nowhere. That's just the way it is, and like it can be system, but they also you know, he came out of the books like as one of the smartest college quarterbacks of his class, and it showed in the fire in the for a team that like could have fallen off a cliff, we didn't know what would happen, and he completely shown that.
Speaker 1: Hell like Portman who went to Harvard, I mean Portman, that's would come in. I think I think she would fit in the system. I think she'd be mobile. I think she'd be a huge injury risk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she would be an injury.
Speaker 1: I don't think she would hold up to the week to week you know, hits that she would take in the NFL. But I'd like to see her back there. I I now look at this and I'm rethinking Jimmy G. Like Jimmy G's twentieth Purty's twenty third. I do believe in Jimmy G having a better season this year with Josh McDaniels, and people give him credit. I don't. I always thought he was slightly awkward fit for Kyle Shanahan, Like looking at those two and what you know, Jordan, Jimmy G, Purty in the rest of this group, but especially you know, coming off with what you just learned in San Francisco, Like, how do you think they look at those two guys? How do you think they look at Purty? Like would they think we have them way too low? Well?
Speaker 5: I just think you again, if we're pitching a play for the call, sheit here and we're expecting an argument and every which way and every turn, I think that you'd be getting asked like what basis are you evaluating the players and are they the same? Because you can remove party from Shanahan's system for the ranking, but you're also talking about Garoppolo and McDaniel's working together, right, So that's where I kind of I start to see a art like, wonder a little bit about you.
Speaker 1: I'm removing them, I'm removing them. I think Jimmy G is a little more scheme, maybe independent than people would give them credit for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And honestly, what's kind of cool about this year with some of the movement that happened last year, is we're going to see, right, We're going to see really who a lot of people are. Some of these quarterbacks who have kind of been in that like murky swampy zone. We're going to kind of see like if they can differentiate themselves and how they can and what specifically that collaboration will will look like with their coordinators and with you know, the people that are they're designing these systems with. Because you know, I think people knock the quote unquote the system quarterback, and I don't think that's always fair because I always feel like you should be designing an offense that supports your quarterback and makes them feel comfortable and free. Maybe you don't want to get carried away with like telling him exactly where to throw it, which totally blows up in your face when defenses rotate after the snap, but like, what you probably want to do is make sure that quarterback can play fast and free and understands what he's seeing and can feel that flow and get into that rhythm. And so you know, I just think like, it's okay if you're a system quarterback.
Speaker 1: Right, every I mean quarterback, every quarterback is a system quarterback or should want to be a system quarterback. Like your ability to fit within a system is a trait. And so maybe we add pretty a little bit low.
Speaker 5: I'm excited an episode where Greg is openly doubting his decisions.
Speaker 1: I like macover Pickett eat it. Steelers fans, we'll see, though, we'll see. I think they're similar ish type players and talent. I think Saints fans and their media definitely see Derek Carr as better than the nineteenth best quarterback in the league, and if he can play well right off the bat with the Saints, like he'll prove it. He he has been someone in the history of QB Index that has bounced up and down more than just about anyone. Two seasons where he looked top ten ish, a couple of seasons where he was not top twenty ish. I don't totally trust him, and that's why he's there. Let's have a mini tier which is right below the Dalton line, which would be Tannehill goff In, Daniel Jones. They are sixteen seventeen in eighteen, we are the last men standing on Tannehill island mark to have him that high. I think I heard Mina Kimes' podcast on QBS and they I mean, I can't even remember. I don't even know if they got to Tannehill like he was buried, like he was buried there. But we I still like to think of him, and I think he's a system quarterback. If you put him on a lot of teams, I think he would upgrade a lot of situations. And so for this year and this year only, I still think he has something left in him, and I gave him just an edge over goff In Daniel Jones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think, like with Tannehill.
Speaker 3: Again, like the human side of it, like the way he plays his rugged, fiery nature and just sort of I think what he's done with his own career. I do still believe in him. The Titans. The Titans potentially do not at this point. So that's a concern. They've seen more of him than I have.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: But for me, like I think, I don't know, they're.
Speaker 1: Paying him a lot of money, they kept him around. I think they know that they're better with it, you know what I mean, Like I'm with you they successor, but they would like to upgrade. But I think they also like real lies. There's a decent chance the next guy won't be better than Tannehill, certainly not from a few years ago.
Speaker 3: I love to hear what Jordan has to say about golf because I think last year, like Goff kind of gave the middle finger to everyone that's ripped on golf for the last half decade. He was sensational. It's like, but then I'm like, I think that you get stuck. Is is that Jared Goff? Or was that that offense? And like, do I trust Jared Goff based on the career wide sample size, but like players develop and grow, and like he he he was really just pretty immaculate for quarters at a time, And I think that was one where it's like I had to separate what I think of him from what is actually happening on tape right here. So I think it's from where he sits. There could be some Lions fans to say, you guys are ignoring too much about his most recent body of work.
Speaker 1: He could be ahead of Tannehill or Cousins or maybe Fields. I could I could see that argument.
Speaker 5: I think this year will tell us definitively. I don't think any other year except for the one that's coming, will tell us what we need to know about Jared Goff because the the you know, his rookie season obviously was terrible for a variety of reasons. Then seventeen eighteen were phenomenal again for a variety of reasons, not excluding his arm talent, not excluding the way that he can run those boots and all of that and operate the system. And you know, nineteen twenty were regression years again for a lot of different reasons. And then you know, having consistency, stability, getting confidence, developing, growing, becoming an older adult, like all of those things took place and are taking place in Detroit and also working with somebody who you know, one thing I don't think we talk enough about is the rotating, constant rotating of offensive coordinators that Jared had in LA because that's really the person you're working with the most, and that's changing all the time, and so are the expectations of the head coach as you get closer and closer to contention. And it's not a knock on anybody, it's just the paces didn't match at a certain point. That's okay, right, that's all right. But in Detroit, his pace of how he's developing is also matching the growth of the team and the further in contention of the team and the threat that the team presents against the rest of the league. It's they're growing at the same time, and it's there's a continuity there that I think is really really important and really valuable with Ben Johnson, you know, I hear great things about Ben Johnson, obviously, and I do think that this year, this coming year will tell us what we do need to know about Jared Goff, probably more so than any other year previously or any other assumption we have made or have not made about Jared Goff previously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my guess is he finishes QB Index higher than seventeen. I just think he's set up and he I think, like Cousins, there's sort of a misconception with Gough that he's just always the same in the middle, and it's like his highs are pretty high. I actually saw this tweet. I forget which rams say. It was how that game we went to Mark the Thursday night or against Minnesota by Jared Goff was like the highest ranked by some analytical measure start in rams history by any quarterback, and so that always colors it for me. We saw like we saw him at his very best. That was when he was absolutely peaking, and his his best is like really good and really really like talented in terms of his arm, and he reminds me of Cousin's in that way. Cousins like is as streaky a quarterback as there's been in the QB Index over the last decade, where he'll play top five for about six straight weeks and then he'll stink for about six straight weeks and you don't know what you have. And Goff seasons have been a little bit like that. But I think he'll end up higher. Okay, now let's go ahead.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Greg, I don't want to catch you off. I'm so sorry, but no. One last point. One less point on Goff that I think is really important that we need to reframe in that regard is like a lot of the time, especially when a team it became quite clear that a team could be for Super Bowl much quicker than anybody thought back in seventeen eighteen and then onward beyond in those years beyond when the paces didn't line up. There was all of this talk about what is his ceiling? Can he ever rereach his ceiling? And I don't think there's enough conversation, whether it was internally or externally, about how can we raise his floor instead of what can we rereach or rEFInd or rediscover what a ceiling could be. Raising the floor actually became so much more important in his overall development and trajectory. And I think that's what Detroit did in terms of reframing that entire conversation is Hey, let's stop worrying so much about the ceiling right now, because we're not a team that needs to worry about the ceiling right now, which again it's a fair worry in other buildings that were built contenders. But Detroit sits there and says, let's think about how we can actually raise the floor of what he's capable of doing, and the ceiling takes care of itself at that point.
Speaker 1: Well, he's also I just looked at our list one to thirty two. He's probably the least most will starter in the NFL. There's just not there's not. It's crazy to think that because he's actually worked on his mobility, he's like a little better than he used to be. It might. The other contender is probably Stafford, who you don't think of as like totally immobile, but at this point he's had injuries and doesn't move well. And that's just how the NFL is gone. Like there used to be twelve Jared goffs Now he might be the thirty second most athletics starting quarterback. Just you know something to consider that that does hurt your ceiling. So the next group has some incredible athletes.
Speaker 3: That's a big win for Cole McCoy. By the way, your previous statement there so.
Speaker 1: Well, I actually do. I think col McCoy moves better even I think.
Speaker 3: He I don't know if he I'm not even sure he's going to be ready to start, but like there was a period where he ran pretty well.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure it's I think.
Speaker 1: He probably moves better right now than Jared Goff. He's got it, yeah.
Speaker 5: I think, so can we test it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Kirk Cousins is up there on the like lack of mobility, but he's a little better, I would say that than Goff. He's at fifteen, little low. But where did you have him, Dan Mark?
Speaker 2: Rather?
Speaker 1: Wow, you had him fifteenth item, thirteenth, Fields is there at fourteen, Deshaun Watson, who I think we just collectively didn't know what to do with at thirteen, and then Stafford at twelve. This is a fascinating group. Let's start with Stafford mark because it's funny I doing this. I just thought, like, Stafford's been at twelve, He's been between ten and twelve and QB index for most of the last decade. He actually is, weirdly one of the most consistent quarterbacks, like that he had his twenty twenty one. He's had other pop up seasons, but for the most part, that's like where he sets in. So even though he's hurt or he was hurt, I just like was like, I'm not comfortable putting him any higher than that. But it seems weird because if he's healthy, I would expect him to be in that area.
Speaker 3: Right, And I've had him at fourteenth and wasn't comfortable putting him any lower.
Speaker 4: I'm willing to kind of write on him twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like last year on so many levels, due to an insane string of injuries and offensive line that was non functional, you know, I kind of just write it off because we've been watching Stafford for over a decade plus and I just feel like I know who he is and I put him at fourteen. I'm totally comfortable with that. I guess I find Stafford, you know in Jordan. I'm sure you know you see some of this too, But it's like the Stafford era is in a strange point right now because the team has these stars and then this got probably the most amount of young players league wide, and it's like, where is Stafford in this? And I've always just wondered, like, if the trade deadline comes up and someone desperately needed a quarterback, do the Rams move on from him?
Speaker 4: Or or is the commitment on both sides all the way in.
Speaker 3: I just I feel like last year was really weird with Stafford, and I never feel like I got the full read on what was going on with this injury situation.
Speaker 4: McVay spoke about it in weird ways, so I don't know. It seems to me like a quarterback in an awkward place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think he gets an incomplete. He's another one of those incomplete grades, so he has such a you know, body of work. To this point, for me, it's like, again, you know, not to sound like a broken record, but like it's the ceiling floor question, over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: But he's looked good this offseason, right or different? What do you say?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean to me, he like, here's what I hope this isn't just like get aggregated out or whatever. But like he he looks like his himself, whereas last year he did not because he wasn't throwing and he was on a pitch count and it was stressful, and he very clearly just like freaking hated not throwing because probably in previous years he probably just would have not like said anything about what.
Speaker 1: Was rodrig Stafford looks like himself hates throwing.
Speaker 4: Do not aggregate that.
Speaker 1: People out there, I don't think you have to worry. I think you're good.
Speaker 5: So but I do think that he I think he does look like he does look more like the Stafford who came in, you know, other than a slight setback with his thumb and training camp right when he came in. He looks like that guy. The example I use is like they are obviously onboarding a very young defense greg. I think it was very apt the terminology used to describe kind of like what the rams are doing on defense for the sake of keeping an offense that can maybe shoot a bunch of three point shots and then just you know, kind of shield their eyes if something, you know, things go poorly on defense, you just want to try to outscore. There are going to be some bumps along the way, obviously with that group, but in practice, you have to install concepts and you're trying to build confidence and develop a very young group, and so you're encouraging defensive players to make plays and a lot of times it's happening against you know, you're especially encouraging the younger guys on the second and third teams to try to really make plays. And yeah, it's spring workouts, so you don't really know anything. But there are times when there will be a sequence of plays that the DBS have made against like the second team or the third team, and Matthew Stafford will just sort of very calmly walk on the field, no expression on his face and just deal three four touchdowns in a row and red zone drills and then just walk off the field. And like that was what we saw a lot of in twenty twenty one, that sort of like cool, casual like murder vibes that like we didn't we saw that, and then you started seeing that over and over and over again as the Rams went on the run that they did and to me, so to me, I'm like, okay, it's I don't know specifically what will happen. You have to be concerned obviously at his age, with his history about injuries, with any quarterback, especially the one with ones with his injury history as he's had, and like he's an incomplete grade from last season as well. But at the same time, like it's he's more Staffordy right now than I felt he's been for quite some time. And it's palpable on the field.
Speaker 1: Bring back the murder vibes. I like that, although him.
Speaker 5: Darkly chaotic Matthew Stafford, I think is what we we called it, darkly chaotic Matthew.
Speaker 1: Stafford, Like he needs that line to play better as much as any quarterback. Watson, Like it's just impossible. We've talked Watson, I feel like a lot this offseason is just the almost the biggest question mark, X factor whatever you want to call it. With this season. I wasn't comfortable putting him any higher than I had him fourteenth, Mark Adham thirteenth. He's just like, how do you judge a guy who's was always a top seven or eight? I would say talent player who came back in last year was truly terrible, didn't get better, didn't look like a fit in that offense, and then measure that with like, okay, the time off who knows, so he we're just putting him somewhere in between fields is kind of like Jalen Hurts, I think going into last year, where like the running floor is just so high. He hasn't shown as much as Hurts though going into year three as a passer, So we'll see. We don't have him too high the next tier. Let's just put Gino into a in a tier. What a world that Gino and Tua That Gino is tenth on this list and I didn't even have to like cheat to get him higher. We're entering a season where Gino is looked at as the tenth best quarterback in the league. I had too higher.
Speaker 4: That actually both had him at ten.
Speaker 3: I thought that you I didn't know where you were gonna go with that. One.
Speaker 1: I think is just eleven. I'm wrong nine for Tua.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but for Gino.
Speaker 3: We both had him at ten, but I think, Ta, You're not gonna please half the country with whatever you do with Tua. And like I had him at nine, and I mean a lot of that is based off of, you know, talk about scheme and all this other business like durability.
Speaker 4: Can he last a season? Uh?
Speaker 3: But he was a I thought by in many metrics, like a top six or seven guy last year and in others even higher. And it's just like do I lean on metrics or the fact that for some lingering reason, and this is just maybe you know, watching quarterbacks your whole life and football your whole life, it's like I just don't really trust the Tua experience.
Speaker 4: I just don't.
Speaker 3: And I mean, but that's you know, but watching him play, like he answered a lot of questions last year, and I think it was like, you know, all off season was like does he have the arm strength?
Speaker 5: Does he?
Speaker 4: I mean with the weapons around him?
Speaker 3: He looked sensational at times, and I yet I still am just like the Dolphins themselves spent years kind of looking beyond. I think Mike McDaniel seems to have backed up his own words of faith in him. He could have gone in another direction, and from the jump he said, I'm much He believed in Ta and milk the most at him. So it's like quarterback coach combination is about as good as it gets.
Speaker 1: Tua will should improve health. It's hard to like bake into these rankings, like if Tua is healthy, I would assume he finishes in the top ten. And yet if I had to put money on if Gino or Tua finishes the year in the top ten, I would put it on Gino just because I feel like there's just such a great possibility that Tua is hurt too much to get at the end of the season. But in terms of just his skill set and how he fits and his timing if he's on the field, I don't have a lot of doubts into him. My only doubt is like, okay, where can he keep growing? And can Gino keep growing too, because look, he hasn't played a lot of football, but man, he throws a pretty ball. Let's go to the next group. We're getting juicy here. Let's go to the back half of the top ten. It's Lamar at six, it's Aaron Rodgers at seven. We were in perfect agreement. We each had him at seven. It's Trevor Lawrence at eight. It's maybe a slightly lower on our list, I would guess that than some others. And then we have Dak Prescott at nine. Jordan again, let's let's say it again, Lamar six, Rogers seven, Lawrence eight, Prescott nine. Like, which which one of those is most surprising? Or would you have the most problem with They want you to get me.
Speaker 5: I mean I don't really. That's the thing is, you could make a case for all of.
Speaker 1: That, right, Like it seems stands out on those.
Speaker 5: Well, what stands out is that it seems logical to me. I mean you could obviously argue technicalities and probably personal biases come in via whichever fan base you're a part of, and I would One thing is I I think, you know, so I covered Carolina when Trevor Lawrence was coming up through Clemson and then during the recruiting and all of that stuff, and I just remember how exciting it was that what he could do and how he could transcend. And I think for me, it's like, that's one of the things I'm most curious about overall in the subject of quarterbacks is how can you take that next step. You know, locally and in terms of the team, they all know what or they believe they know what he is capable of. But how do you then take that into Okay, every single year, there's not even a question. You're not even debating. This guy is star is transcending and rising into that league wide face that you kind of really want your franchise quarterback to be. And certainly somebody who's perennial in the top ten, if not the top six, you really want somebody to consistently put that body of work. And it's hard to judge him because you know, the last year happened. You know, I don't know what the hell you're going to do with that situation with Meyer if you're any any player a little on the quarterback, But I would like to see who he can become, what he can become, because you know, I've not been around a lot of prospects who's the expectation was quite as high as it was around him when he was when he was playing college football.
Speaker 3: I would say one thing with him, like, I'm willing to break last season into segments, and his final you know, six regular season games showed such incredible growth. He was immaculate. I have no problem thinking that by the end of the season he could be locked in as a top five type quarterback because I mean, it's you're talking about a different type of player, because what do you do with Lamar Jackson and Aaron Rodgers is arguably you know, if you look at last year alone and what we've seen most recently, it wasn't as bad as some people thought.
Speaker 4: But like, is he just Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 3: And so we're kind of plugging him into this spot here, Like I struggle with that one a little bit. Of those three, Trevor Lawrence is the most ascendant, and I think we've just barely even seen what you know to your floor ceiling thing. Like my mind goes back to the primetime game against the Jets the terrible weather, where like he used his legs in a way he just grew that way as a player, made incredible decisions and just carried the team on his back. And he's six ft six, he's like the perfect size, like he's got there's no weakness to his game and it was essentially his rookie season. So I just I mean, this is the guy along with Fields, and it's like I don't know where we're going to be at the end of the season. It could be a lot higher than people would think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a spicy take.
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 5: Is this a safe space for spicy task?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think. Okay, here's the major caveat major caveat right is if Tua can stay healthy. If Tua can stay healthy, I do think that in the rankings he rises up and replaces one of these quarterbacks in this tier that you that you have named.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, I think if he's healthy, he's a decent MVP candidate, like a dark Corse MVP candidate, just because the numbers will be undeniable. I'm with you, Lawrence, I just want to see more. You mentioned the end of the season. He can do everything. It just was hard for me to put him ahead of Rogers and Jackson. You think of like upside, it's like, well, those are you know, three of the last five MVPs, Rogers and Jackson. I don't expect Aaron Rodgers to be an MVP again, but I really didn't think his play fell off that much. He needs protection, certainly, but I think that's true of you know, just about any quarterback. And I just didn't think his play fell off that much. And we've seen their highs, and you could say that about Jalen Hurts too, But Jalen Hurts, we've seen the progression year two to year three. He has at one extra year than Lawrence, and his highs were frankly just way higher than Lawrence's and longer and more sustained. So I didn't think it was unfair. I think a lot of places actually would have Lawrence top five already. We do not have him there. We do have justin Herbert in the top five. I had him And this was probably our biggest disagreement in the top of the list. Where did I think I had him three? I had him over Burrow? You had him lower, And so it ended up averaging out that Herbert ended up fifth overall. Burrow our Hurts is fourth, Burrow third, Josh Allen number two, and then we each had Patrick Mahomes number one. I'm looking for Herbert. You had him fifth, I had him third. You also had Josh Allen fourth. I had him second. So I don't know mark like out of those two, I'm a little surprised you had you had Josh Allen as low as fourth.
Speaker 3: Well that's because I had hurt second, and I just came out of last season convinced that he was just a smidge and behind Mahomes for MVP, and like, to me, just his growth tells me like, we just have not seen the final destination, so we won me over as number two. I think Josh Allen is like this unmistakable, incredible, irreplaceable physical specimen that only one team in the league has an option to use.
Speaker 4: So there's no knock on him.
Speaker 3: I think with these guys like I kind of think that Burrow was, it's just more consistent than Josh Allen. When Josh Allen has he's big red zone issues last year, so I want to see what happens with that. But there's no kind of knock on anyone in this top five. I can see why we'd have some variants, but any one of them could wind up as an MVP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I and I loved Hurts, and I still going into the season trying to take everything out of it, would rather have Josh Allen or Joe Burrow or Justin Herbert. And I took Herbert even over Burrow, and that's where it gets tricky. But I just think he can. He can do everything. There's nothing in how he plays that makes me worried about how like, oh, he hasn't done it in the playoffs. I'm not worried about that. I know how that playoff game went. It was not one of his best games. It wasn't one of Trevor Lawrence's best games either for a while, but it was not one of Justin Herbert's best games. But I'm not worried about that at all. He's shown up in big spots, and so I feel like if I was just drafting a team, I would take Herbert even over Burrow slightly, even though Burrow like comes up with the answers. He's gonna be the guy that maybe is ranked slightly too low because he just figures things out throughout his career. But physically I want Alan and Herbert ahead of him two three, and then I had Hurts five because those guys have just done it a little higher and more consistently.
Speaker 3: Then. But as you know, like that's I will tell you one little trick with this assignment last year was like they would tweet out a graphic of your top ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the little trinkets attached to this exercise is that if like Jalen Hurts is injured for two weeks, he is not in your time, he's off the list. You have to put his replacement, so that guy invariably is in the twenties or late twenties, And you know early on the graphic would go out without that little part of it being the case, like even a little line the bottom like injured players not shown. And you've got like all of Philadelphia and parts of Pennsylvania flaming you on Twitter for the next three days. And it's just like I just turned off Twitter for like nineteen straight months doing this exercise.
Speaker 1: I feel like, Yeah, the twenty twenty two seasons took years off Sean mcvay's life. I feel like just those responses to your top ten list, based on how many times Mark has brought it up, took years off your life. But you've got them back this summer.
Speaker 4: Mark, I've gained them back.
Speaker 1: What have you do in the last couple of weeks, by the way, you know we haven't have I been doing? Yeah? Yeah, you went on a sea cruise again, right, yeah? Ben?
Speaker 3: I went to Big Bear, you know, taking the spending time with the kids, just trying to mix it all in together. But something's unreportable, something's reportable.
Speaker 5: On you guys's point, Like I just wanted on the record saying I want every fan base to be happy, right, I want everyone to be happy and successful, right.
Speaker 1: Right, Also because I used to I used to want that for thirty one teams and the team in Washington, I wouldn't. And now with the changing of the guard, I'm changing my guard too.
Speaker 5: I was referring to your commanders, your top five. Now I'm not going to be like harshly debated and.
Speaker 1: No, I get it, I get it, But I'm saying I I agreed. I always didn't. I didn't want people to be angry except for Washington fans just because of their owner. And now now we don't even have to worry about that. I don't think anyone will be mad too mad about this. Maybe Burrough fans, but he's third overall, even though I had him fourth, So I think everyone, I think everyone would be happy with this.
Speaker 5: I don't think that this takes away I certainly don't mean it to take away from the talent and ability of everybody that you have ranked in various rankings between the two of you. I do think that if I'm like an offensive coordinator, head coach, or game planner, whoever, I'm thinking about how if I have a player like Jalen Hurts, nothing is impossible, Like nothing is off the table in terms of what you can try and how you can do design your plan. And so obviously we're either deciding we're going to grade quarterbacks in a vacuum where we're deciding we're gonna rank quarterbacks as as a part to the whole. Either way, if you're looking at at that from that lens, for me, it's like I see Jalen Hurts and I think to myself, like, there is nothing. There is nothing that you There's no idea that you can't bring to the table in that building because of what he can do and how he presents as a threat in so many different ways, and the multiplicity that he presents not just as a running quarterback but as a throwing quarterback. Like I'm saying specifically, within each category, there's multiplicity and how he can run the football and how he can execute the run game, and there's also multiplicity and how he can throw the football, and conceptually how diverse those types of things can get because of his abilities as a passer as well, and you get the sense from him that, like he does believe anything is possible for him. So I think when you're like thinking about ideas and game planning things like that, you know, I don't I honestly, frank, you don't know where I would put him. He would certainly be top five for me, But I'm not doing the rankings you guys are. But I just think, like that's something that I always think about when I think about quarterbacks and and how how you build things around them. Is like you have a blank canvas and every single marker on the planet in every que that has ever existed with a player like Jalen Hurts, and you can create things that people can't stop because they probably have not seen them before, or their throwbacks from an ancient era, or they're pulling from you know, because you just because you can, and why not If you can, you should, right.
Speaker 1: And if he could play how he did in the Super Bowl, and he can, we've seen it, like, then he can win the MVP, then he can be number two. I have a hard time putting anyone, uh, Like Mohams is such an obvious one that at Heast, like people think of him as like not that athletic in a weird way, it's like he's incredibly he's incredibly athletic, Like he's he's not Jalen Hurts running, but he provides a lot of value running, by the way, and obviously his legs, you know, set up those stores. I guess that's why I would put Hurts below those guys though, because and it maybe as my old bias, because I think he's one of the greatest running quarterbacks of all time already, like he was, He's not gonna be able to run that much, but he's such a great runner and you can build a run game around him. He didn't show as consistency his ability to get through all of his reads, anticipation, touch, sort of timing on the mid level throws as consistently as Burrow or Herbert or Alan. Yet he was getting there, and he did it in the Super Bowl, which is the biggest spot ever. But he didn't do it the two rounds before, and so those things are so consistent week to week that I guess I'm a little biased and still think like if he shows me that this year, then then he's even another life.
Speaker 3: Well, also, I would just consider his growth process over one season, because you know, we're an off season removed from them flatlining against the Tampa Buccaneers and wondering does he is he essentially on a one year tryout to keep this job, and it's like no one in the league grew as much as he did, and I thought he was one of the more interesting players to write about a week to week. We're like, you know, and we don't even talk about Mahomes that much, but it's like Mahomes sometimes you just want to be like Patrick Mahomes of course number one, but there is a lot of nuance to his game. Last year, we're like, on an injured lower body. What he did with his feet I thought was the biggest growth, one of the biggest areas that he grew because he was just an absolute damage machine on the Guslay the Super Bowl. Absolutely, And I mean but that's like it was like, He's hard to find an area like where did what's different about Patrick Mahomes this year and the year before. It's like that was one specific area, but Hurts his growth was in every single aspect of his game.
Speaker 4: And I don't think that growth is over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wouldn't change you. Guys's number one at all, obviously, Like there's no there's no question.
Speaker 4: That's how you interesting, that's how you get the clicks.
Speaker 3: Though, if you suddenly swap him out with you know, filling the blank dude from the Northeast, like, people start to go crazy.
Speaker 1: Let's put Dak. Let's put Dak at number one. Where do we have him nine? He's thirty. By the way, that makes me feel old. We're gonna be old if this podcast continues any longer. This is a banger. It's a lot.
Speaker 5: I should tell you, guys, my leg is asleep.
Speaker 1: That's one of the longest ones we've ever done. It's fine. We haven't done a show in a long time. We may be overstuffed the rundown. It's okay, Jordan. You were fantastic. Your series, The play Callers is fantastic. We will be back Mark next week. A couple of shows. Got a Monday show on the books, Dan, we'll be back for that. One from New York. Will still be remote. I'll be back in LA and we are getting close to training camp. Thank you, Jordan.
Speaker 5: Thanks guys for having me. Seriously, as you know, huge fan really really appreciate you guys having me on. Just a delight, thank you.
Speaker 1: We'll have you on again soon. For Mark Sessler, poor Eric behind the glass. For Joan Rod read either