Speaker 1: Good morning, Peepsa and welcome to ook F Daily with Meet your Girl Daniel Moody, recording from the Home Bunker. Folks, this week, we experienced yet another mass shooting.
Speaker 2: There were almost two dozen.
Speaker 1: Victims of a mass shooting incident that took place in Maine.
Speaker 2: Maine is a place that.
Speaker 1: Has none of the laws that are in place to keep their citizens safe because you know, hunting and apparently you need an AR fifteen for that. There have been so many times when I turn on my microphone to share the news of another mass shooting. I've been doing this show for so long, and I don't even think I could count, honestly, the amount of times that I've turned on this MI like to say the same things over and over and over and over and over again. We've become concredibly numb to these targeted acts of domestic terrorism. That's what they are. That's not how the media reports it. But my friend jaredy eight Sexon said in an interview that you guys will listen to later this week, that's what these acts of violence are like. We like to think about terrorism in the form of bombs, in the form of you know, people in fatigues and ground fighting. We don't talk about the experience and the exposure to largely a white, male dominated group of people who are the ones that are picking up AR fifteen's, you know, the pins that the House Republicans saw fit to switch out their American flags for because they pledge their allegiance to a weapon of mass destruction and violence. That these acts that happen largely from people who subscribe to right wing ideology, people who harbor racist, anti Semitic, anti black, anti woman, anti LATINX. Just the list goes on and on sentiments, those sentiments that are fed to them by elected politicians. Their former president twice impeached white supremacist leader Donald Trump, a cadre right two hundred and twenty two Republicans in the House and all of the Republicans in the Senate, as well as being backed by multi billionaires who subscribe to a theory of violence and domination, oppression and power and greed. And so, I don't know what else there is to say write about this country. Its addiction to violence, its desire to ignore its founding and the repercussions thereof, It's inability to have any type of reflection to make any pivots and changes from the way that quote unquote things have been done, to do them better, to do them safer.
Speaker 2: There's no desire.
Speaker 1: And you know, for years now, I've had the great pleasure of chatting with our in house doctor, doctor Jonathan Metzel, who has been and is one of these sounding voices major voices on gun reform, and in his new book though, which will be available and is available right now for pre order, so I urge you all to get a copy entitled what We've Become Living and Dying in a Country of Arms, Jonathan recognizes that maybe the way that gun reform advocates have been tackling this issue, maybe it's not working. Maybe we need a pivot, maybe we need a shift because there are so many, any more things at play than what meets the eye. That's what it means to be a good leader, to be able to look at what you've been doing and see whether or not it's been effective, and if it hasn't been effective to the extent that you have wanted it to be, then you have the courage to make a shift. You have the courage to say, let's try something else. That's not who America as a collective has ever been the masculine toxicity that is on display in our patriarchal society that hates women, the DNA of white supremacy that runs through the very soil and bodies of those people who call themselves Americans, because we refuse as a collective to address anything and march through life with the hubris and the ego that America alone can fix it. America is the best. America is number one, and the thing that we are number one in.
Speaker 2: Is got deaths.
Speaker 1: That's where we stand alone as a country. No one else has as bloody of an existence as America. Even right now as we watch war in real time, the deaths of thousands of fucking children that our own president doesn't even want to acknowledge why because then he would have to reckon with his fucking allegiance and the billions of dollars that have gone to perpetrate genocide. Because to recognize the lives lost of Palestinians, of Palestinian children, babies, would force a change in course and a change in action. So let's pretend. Let's continue with the lie, and then when when people don't take in the lie and ingest it with their own free will will force it down their throats. That's where we are. So this conversation that I have with Jonathan today talks about the need for pivot, talks about the need for a shift and why if we are to progress, we need to be examining our lives in the world through a place of expansion and not narrowness. Coming up next my conversation with our friend, our in house doctor, doctor Jonathan Metzel. Folks, you know that whenever I have the opportunity to speak with our friend, our in house doctor, doctor Jonathan Mepzil, I am always thrilled, And this week was so honored to be invited Jonathan, to speak in front of your class at Vanderbilt. I want to give you the opportunity to tell folks what this particular the topic of this particular class was and what you were hoping to get out of it.
Speaker 3: So it's a new class we're teaching. This is actually the first semester and the title of the class is Guns in America, which is not as straightboard a topic as you might think. The kind of argument of the class is the way you define guns in America depends on the framework that you use to understand what the issue is or what the problem is. And so every week we're doing roughly a general topic. So we did guns and Politics, guns and Medicine, guns in the Law. We had one a week of guns and Crime, and we had a couple of officers from the Vanderbilt Police Force come in, and yesterday was Guns and the Media. And it was kind of typical of how we've been doing this in that if you, you know, if you look at guns in the media through for example, mainstream corporate media or something like that, you'll the question we ask is like when when do guns show up? And it's very often stories after mass shootings, understandably, and stories like the Supreme Court case we're having come up, but not much else beyond that for understandable reasons. But that's kind of what drives those markets. But if you look at other forms of media and expression, you do not only see that there are other ways of talking about guns, but that the issues and the voices are really different. And so guns and podcasts, for example, you can talk about guns and culture, guns and communities of color. So you were amazing and engaging and so present. It was just Honestly, I was just like, man, this is wonderful. You're so good because you were on zoom, but it was like you were with us in the room there. It was so nice. So we had you, and then we had Dwayne Bray who's from ESPN who actually writes about It's interesting he's with ESPN, but he writes about violence and communities of color, not linked to sports. And his main argument was we put we like, why are we putting this on the backs of athletes like Lebron James and Chris Paul and stuff like that when the issue is really every day that we lose if it's just athletes, and really this is a big, a bigger societal issue. And so it was interesting because he was rejecting like people said, shouldn't athletes be involved in social justice and he said, well yes and no, because if it's just them, it's just window dressing. And he also said it often is just black athletes that are speaking out and when did Tom Brady speak out about it? And stuff like that. So it was really it was quite interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that what I thought of his initial opening I thought was really good. And it's a question I think that we ask often of artists and athletes, people with really big platforms, you know, to automatically we assume that they should be activists. And I think that being an activists should be a choice and not just a part of your profession because you happen to, you know, have millions of followers. And I think that we've seen that happen for better or for worse, when people are not informed, right, and they're and they're using their platforms and they have and they garner all this attention and then those that that are But I think to his point, you know, just recently, and I think you and I were having this conversation, I might have been having it with somebody else, you know. The n h the n h L, which is largely all white, majority white players in the in the Hockey League, recently had passed a policy that was going to disallow the players from being able to use the tape for their hockey sticks during their practices and the games. To show their allegiance to the LGBTQ community. There was going to be like they were going to change the policy and disallow them from using the tape, and several of the NHL players said, yeah, no, I'll take the fine. And so because of that, they were just this week reverse that policy and allowed the players to do what they've been doing for the last ten years and so to show their allegiance and support to the LGBTQ community. So it is really important conversation to have, and I'm glad that you brought that to your students, and I was glad that I had the opportunity to give my perspective on, you know, on guns and the media and how we shift narrative.
Speaker 3: And it was I mean, let me just say about that, you know, I like what, for example, what's her name, Travis Kelsey's girlfriend is doing, which is she's not going She's not telling people to make up their minds. She's like getting people to register to vote and stuff. So tying it into actually real world stuff, I think is great because there are a lot of politicians, a lot of there are a lot of media people. I mean, there are a lot of entertainers who like, we probably don't want to know what they think, you know, we just want to enjoy it. But I like what she does too, because it's like register to vote. I'm not telling you who to vote for. I'm just saying register to vote, which I think is really really powerful. But you know, you were so good about talking about the voices that were left out of mainstream media and the perspectives of communities of color. I mean, we have a lot of football players in the class, and they all came up and they were like, Oh my god, I'm so glad, I'm so glad you said that, because nobody talks about like what it's like in our neighborhoods and stuff like that. That's not a story people ever hear. And so so yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, It's been an interesting class because people come into a class like this thinking and we do a little bit of it, teaching them, you know, public health and research and all that kind of stuff, but it's really more like, how can you talk in a more complicated way about something that seems really polarized and obvious. People think they come to this knowing exactly position, and we try to kind of say, look, it's a little more complicated than that, so let's let's look under the hood a little bit. And then and then the last part of the classes we have them go out in the world and do activism projects. But we have a lot of students who own guns, a lot of students to carry guns for protection. You know, Tennessee is a place where there are a lot of guns. So it's not inherently a pro or anti gun class. It's really like, let's figure out, like what what this.
Speaker 1: All means, which is why I thought it was really great, you know, getting some of the questions and you know about and the nuance that the media lacks, because my assumption was just that that it wasn't just a you know, a liberal class with no guns and no gun ownership that you know, and that that's the beauty, you know, Jonathan, of your writing and the analysis that you do in the conversations that you have. And so I do want to switch gears to talk about what is coming up around your newest book, your latest book that won't drop until January. But you know, you're receiving some pushback from offering a pivot to a new path, and I think that that is I think I want you to share what's happening. Remind people of the title of the book, and are they able to pre order, because if so, folks, you should, but tell us what's happening right now?
Speaker 3: Okay, So my book is called What We've Become, Living and Dying in a Country of Arms, and it's a book about the Nashville waffle House mass shooting and tells the story of a very powerful, racially charged mass shooting that happened here in twenty eighteen. A naked white man went into a waffle house that was full of happy, partying young adults of color and shot killed four people and shot five others. And I really followed the case from before to during and after. And as I followed the case, I realize that the things I've been advocating for through my whole career, background checks, red flag laws, assault weapons bands, they're important. But I also become very critical, not just because they wouldn't have solved, they wouldn't have stopped this crime. But the reason they wouldn't have stopped the crime wasn't because of whether or not the policies were in effect. It was because the policies that I advocated for have no bigger theory of race, of political power, of all these things. And so the argument of the book I've been wrote it down in advance of what we were saying. My main argument is that civilian known guns cement conservative and racial power. It's not just a health issue, it's a political one, and the public health frame by itself cannot fully grasp or address that. I show the limitations of our approach that's facing public health, even though I support it, but I think we need broader strategies that are political and racial in nature going forward. To be clear, I really support everything I've done, but I also think we need to be much more politically and socially involved. And I just think that in a way, and I just show I trace the history in a way of the gun control movement, which I'm a part of, but I show how guns are metaphors for cementing power and if you don't have a theory of power to push back on that, like people armed civilians as a way to maintain racial hierarchies. They maintain they have civilian guns to make inevitable certain conservative policies, to have power over the judiciary, over the electorate. So even though I think guns are a public health issue, I also think that just calling it a public health issue, that frame I show historically was too small in a way. What I show is the story of the Nashville shooting was a story about whiteness and about gun power in the South, and about how the policies that would have stopped the shooting were never going to happen because of the hold that the NRA had on the courts. And so it's a story about judges, it's a story about race, it's a story about who codes as a as a criminal and who codes as a patriot and all these things. And so I'm getting a lot of pushback because I'm now being called just in early reads a sellout to liberalism in a way, because I'm not like there's you know, and I understand right, I'm part of the movement too. I think calling guns a public health issue is certainly important. But what I argue is that doctors and public health by themselves don't have the expertise for how do you change society, which has to do with understanding judges and power and all these other factors.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I, you know, when you brought this up up when I was speaking with the class, like, I was kind of shocked at the fact that you are receiving pushback from recognizing that.
Speaker 2: A pivot needs to be made.
Speaker 1: It's as if the movement leaders are just like, let's keep banging our heads against the wall doing the same thing and not getting any new results.
Speaker 2: And that's the definition of insanity.
Speaker 1: And so I'm like, you know, it doesn't to me, and you you know, answer this question.
Speaker 2: It doesn't to me.
Speaker 1: Sound like you're saying let's abandon this where we've been. It's saying we need a both. And the issue is bigger than just saying that guns are a public health issue. There are so many other factors that are contributing to this larger epidemic of gun violence, and so how do how do we tackle that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like, is it to me? Are you offering a both? And and why is that scene as problematic?
Speaker 3: Well, after the book comes out, I will be I will talk in detail about some of the pushback I've been getting. And I understand like we've built a new I mean, the gun control movement i'll call it, that is two decades old, and people feel really invested. But there also are some players that are just really invested in having a very particular narrative. And I'm not saying we should throw everything out. I'm saying, right, let's look at what the public health frame that surrounds gun safety. Let's look at that what the strengths of that frame are. But also it's important to look at what is what are the blind spots, because the blind spots are considerable and they're impactful. And I said, like, for example, without a theory of whiteness, you're not going to be able to talk to the majority of the people who own guns in places like Tennessee and stuff like that. In a way, So, so we have theories of health, but I think the pandemic made pretty clear that if we just assume that health is self evident, we get in trouble because health for a lot of people has to do with government and regulation and control and the opposite of freedom. And so I just argue that in a way, what happened in the pandemic was really it didn't come out of nowhere. It was actually a reflection of the tensions that had been building in the gun debate for twenty years, where public health was seen as the enemy of the people. And so I argue that, like, let's just look at how we got there. But I think the issue is I mean, I obviously stand by what I wrote, I stand by also dying of whiteness, but dying of whiteness. It was me, obviously writing to liberals saying, let me explain the other side to you, whereas here I'm writing to liberals, but I'm saying we need to look at ourselves a little bit right. And you know I'm not alone in this. There are people like David Hope, for example, is starting in a great new organization that's tied entirely to electoral politics. The Lancet had a big piece come out the other day that said that a health model is not enough, that we need to look at all these structural factors. In the end of my book, I say we need to focus on making communities safer. It can't just be about like regulating guns. I understand why those are the arguments we have, but what does it mean to invest in communities. There's all this research that putting in street lights and making more parks and more bike lanes, all those things actually reduce crime, and so we actually have to invest in communities. And I also explain why communities of color are potentially distrustful of the gun safety movement because the policies that they advocate. I'll give you an example, like red flag laws. You actually have to call the cops on your relative pretty much to get them to come take the gun and do an assessment background chat. You're asking people to enter their name into a database that prings people with a history of incarceration and arrest and so all these things are kind of you know, you understand, if you're like a person of color with a rest record, you're not going to want to buy a gun.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're I will I mean, I will say this as a as a as as a black woman that doesn't not have an arrest record in any issues, let me tell you something that, like, I'm not interested in entering my name into anybody's database. I'm not interested in doing, you know, in calling the cops. There there have been issues like in my neighborhood, which is largely white, and I, you know, choose not to call the cops if I don't have to, because I don't want to be the cause of violence, right. And so I think that you were the way that you are examining this and understanding and I kind of want to get back to what you said around a theory of whiteness. I think it's difficult to even express the ideas around a theory of whiteness when we are still trying to convince people that racism and white privilege and all of these other things actually exist. And so, Jonathan, you know, what do you see as like the biggest barrier to developing a strategy or expanding a strategy that you said is twenty years old.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know what I argue is we're using an old playbook, which is based on the assumption that, of course everybody's going to get vaccinated. You know, that's kind of the assumption everybody's going to work together for these seemingly universal aims. But I think we need a new public health that's much more engaged. I mean, this is already happening. I'm not the only person saying this, to be clear, but much more engaged with building building communal infrastructure that awards people collaborating with each other on local level. So that's kind of for me where the money is. And also doing what David is doing now, which is building political groups that can combat they can kind of speak to people on the ground and combat you know, being pro gun and pro n is a form of white identity. I'm not saying that in any way critically. Actually, I'm saying that that's just kind of a fact. And so if you say, like, hey, I'm a conservative American, but I actually think gun safety is a good thing, you're a trader to your side in a way. And so how do we combat that. It's not by trying to talk people out of what they're doing. It's kind of like figuring out what they're figuring out what drives them, and then answering that with things not that are important to me, but are important to them. And so I'm arguing that, you know, local investment, infrastructure. The whole last part of the book is about how can we create what I call a structural competency gun safety, This idea that basically it's kind of extrapolating from that idea of like more street lights and more parks reduced reduced gun crime. It's not about mandating individual behavior, which I think is important, But it's just that that model, as we saw on the pandemic, is going to be inherently polarizing just given the way our country is.
Speaker 1: And I mean, and you can't really have a conversation about more street lights and parks when you're not when you're not talking about why certain areas look the way that they do right and saying that you know why it's cities and governments invest in certain areas or we attribute everything back to your your the taxes, right, and so if you're if you're wealthier and you have a higher income, that is the basis of everything. And what and what we need as a society is to move away from that center and say, what is the basics that we all need regard list of how much money individually or community wide folks are bringing in, right that it benefits the whole. If we have communities that are walkable, that have clean air, that are safe with street lights, and are well tended to, that benefits the whole.
Speaker 3: And what I say is I just ask readers. Was framing guns as a public health issue? Which I support in many ways? Again I'm going to be giving disclaimers until the cows come home, I guess, But was framing guns as a political a public health issue? It was a moral argument, a data argument, an academic argument, and a mobilizing argument for a lot of people. But did it lead to us having the kind of power that impacted being able to mobilize the kind of resources you're talking about which then let us create street lights and parks and things like that. You actually have to win elections. You have to know how power works. So that I just feel like the coalition we built was not going to do that. We were always going to be, in effect a protest movement because we had no counterbalance to the to the n RA, which wasn't the case. Like with cigarettes and seat belts and all the other public health campaigns we've fought, we've actually brought corporate America to its knees in a way. But guns were a really different issue again because of the politics of race in America, and so the playbook we used for cigarettes was never going to work for guns. Yeah, and but but again we'll see how this goes.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I'm really honest in this book. I'm critiquing myself and even my own prior research, right, and so but I just feel like I started to write the book and I just thought like I can either write a book that I know is just going to be another book. I don't know. I just I really thought a lot about this, and I really thought like I just need to be really honest here, and it it feels risky. I don't know how it's going to turn out, but well, we'll see. But after it's published, I'll tell you that I've had some pretty crazy interactions already, have people saying I was selling out my own side, and that's not my goal. I'm trying to help my own side.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, Jonathan, you know that we're always here for you.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 3: But answer to your question, it's it's on Amazon already, what we've become, and and and also I'll be having a lot of events. In fact, maybe we could do a live event in New York if you want, because I'll be there right if it comes there, so cool.
Speaker 1: Would love to all right, friend, folks, pick up Jonathan. Pre order Jonathan's new book before it comes it comes to the shelves to make sure that you get your copy, and we will continue this conversation like we do every week. Appreciate you, my friend.
Speaker 3: Take care.
Speaker 1: That is it for me today, Dear friends on will g F as always Power to the people and to all the people.
Speaker 2: Power, get woke and stay woke as fuck.