Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a.
Speaker 1: Brid egg Frida egg, the dreaded Frida Egg, Frida Egg, Frida Egg, Brian Egg, Frida Egg, Bride egg Lie.
Speaker 2: I'm about ready to run off the golf course game. Welcome back to the Friday Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnson, and today I am excited to talk about one of my favorite golf courses in the world, which also happens to be the twenty twenty six US Open host Shinnakak Hills, and I'm excited I haven't been joined by my colleague, my friend, employee number one, This staff member of Frida Egg UH, Garrett Morrison, who is UH is his own podcast, Designing Golf, which delves into the great subject of golf architecture every other week. I'm excited to chat with Garrett. It's been a little bit while since we've we've talked and it was great. We UH. We enjoyed media Day thanks to the us GA out there a couple of weeks ago, and UH it was Garrett's first time around the golf course, it was my I don't know what time. It was a few times and uh it was a blustery day. The course was fiery and uh, I you know, I think you know, for Garrett, he can speak for himself, but I think it was baptism by fire and it was, Uh it was. It was Shinnacock coming on all cylinders, which was fun to see. And we so we will dive into Shinnacock. Uh. This will be kind of the course preview portion of our Shinnecock coverage. I wanted to get it out early. We'll have a lot of coincide and coverage. Uh. Just last week, we we released our first piece of Shinnakok coverage, which was the Allgrasses Local Series, our series that documents turf operations. So it took a look at Shinnecock Hills, uh maintenance staff and crew in the you know, unique uh circumstances that they deal with being out on the east end of Long Island and preparing championship golf. So that uh that is coming. That came out. That's on our YouTube page. You can check that out in a couple in a in a couple of weeks, we'll have our formal UH YouTube video that that dives into the architecture of Shinnakok Hills. On top of that, Garrett, We'll be releasing a pod that is a lot about the history of Shinnakok Hills and the design UH that will be released next week, and then we will also have a written piece on Shinnakok Kill is a course profile that I'm touching up, and you know, it just depends on when my fingers decide they're way to finish that piece, but I would guess that's coming out this week or next week on the website. So hopefully, you know, by saying this, I will have committed myself to a deadline that my ADHD does not just bypass. And I have a firm deadline here, so I'm really excited. This is I think, you know, Irona makes surprise a lot of people, but Shinnakok has been kind of the bell of the twenty twenty six ball in terms of schedules. You kind of look at every year and there's some sensational years and next year obviously we have Pebble Beach in the old course as well as Frisco. But I think you look at next year and it's like, well, the old course, the opening of the old course is going to be it to me, just with the history, the recent history at Acock, some of the drama that tends to company golf on the East end of Long Island, and just the conditions that you can get some fantastic recent championships there. This is this is the one, especially from a TV perspective. Obviously, you know it's a hard place to get to for fans and they'll have great attendance. But from a TV perspective, this one is grab your popcorn and watch, like you know, listen. I'm never gonna be someone that's like, this is the best golf course in the world, because I think a golf course a lot like like restaurants in the sense and if somebody says, Andy, what's the best golf course in the world, much like if they asked me what the best restaurant was that I've ever had, I'd be like, well, what kind of restaurant are you talking about? What kind of food are you in the mood for? And that dictates what the best restaurant is for somebody. Like golf courses, I think like one of the big things with golf courses that people miss, and the list miss is like what is the best golf course for the day I want to play? And you know, I might not be in the mood to get my ass kicked by Shittacock Hills on a given day, but on a day that I want to go see how sharp I am, see what I got, see what's in the in the in the quiver, what what what arrows I have these days? You know, I think Shittacock to me is at the top of the of the pyramid of American you know, championship golf courses where I'm going to go out and I'm going to see what game, what my game brings today. I feel that way when I go play there, I I probably tend to play a lot of like I play most of my golf is work golf, but like it's like in a casual setting when I go to Chittacock, I tend to lock in. I say, I'm going to spend my time focusing on these shots and I'm going to attempt to hit shots that I don't normally always hit because I want to take on this golf course. And I think there's different things like you go to Cyprus and you lock in on the experience and the journey in the walk, and that's what makes that place so special. So to me, this idea of, oh, like, this is the best golf course in the world is such a futile exercise. But I would just say about Shinnacock Hills and why I'm so hyped up for this US Open is that Shinnecock Hills would be on the short list of my recommendations of If you were going to say, what's the best golf course in the world, and I say back, well, what are you in the mood for? What type of golf do you want to play? If you said I want to test my game and see what I got, I would probably be like, well, you should go play Shinnecock Hills. Not that it's that easy. We can't just book a reservation like that with golf, and I identify that. But you know, the idea and the goal of our coverage in the lead up of this this major championship will be to give you the idea as much as we possibly can what it is like to play there and what it is these challenges that the best players in the world are going to confront on a shot by shot and round by round basis, depending on the elements and how the golf course is set up. So that's my little monologue here before this, I didn't anticipate talking that long before we get to it. You know something that would be valuable to practice before you got to Shittacock. I'd be working on my putting. The greens there are there are some diabolical greens, there's some docile greens. But one of the things about the greens is they are very difficult because they're exposed, they sit up, there's wind, there's a lot of tilt in them, a lot of tilt in them, similar to ronom inc which we just saw. But one of the things you're going to see a lot of over the course of the US Open is a lot of six to eight footers for pars that guys have to make. And the way I get ready to make my six or eight footers for par when I'm at home, an easy way to just kill twenty minutes at a time, fifteen minutes, ten minutes, two minutes. You get yourself a perfect practice putting. Matt. What I love about this, and particularly for those short putts that are kind of make or break round putts, like the days that you just don't give them away, the days you don't miss the three to five footers, the days you make you know a lot of eight footers, those are the days you score well. And what I love about the Perfect Practice Putting Matt to me is it teaches me how to hit a perfect straight putt. It's got effectively what I would describe as a chalk line, which is the I think one of the best ways to practice putting. It's a line that allows you to look at how your stroke's interacting. I tend to be iput best when my stroke goes inside and then I'm able to release the putter inside on the takeaway. But I can see that because they have the line on the Perfect probably Practice Putting Mat and I'm just hitting straight putts. And one of the things that I noticed with the Perfect Practice Putting Mat, it's really smooth, It's really true. It like simulates what a putting green's like. It has the ball return, which makes it really easy to just sit and practice for ten minutes without having to move. But what I see with putting when I put my best is I see my lines and I think about if I hit a straight putt on this line, I'm gonna make it. And that's why I love about the time I spend on my Perfect Practice putting mat is it gets me ready to hit really challenging putts if I can visualize, this is my straight putt if I hit it at this spot. So the good news I have for you is that if you go to perfect Practice dot com, I can get you twenty percent off with the code SGS. You can also if you wanted to look at other things for Father's Day gifts, they have the chip shot, which is a really cool thing. It makes you, it helps you chip I'm excited. I'm moving a new place with a little bit more space to use the chip shot. I'm excited about that. But you can buy those all at perfect Practice dot com that are the perfect Father's Day gift, which is right around the corner. Or you know, if you don't want SGS for twenty percent off, you don't want to use that promo code, you want to go to Amazon or golf Galaxy. You can get those there too, and those you don't get SGS twenty or SGS for twenty percent off. So if you want twenty percent off. I'll say go to perfect practice dot com. If you want to get this like today when you're listening to this, go to your local golf galaxy and buy it. But anyways, these are great practice options and it would get your ready to play shitta cock or any hard course around you. If you just make a lot more short putts. I promise you you're going to get better at golf. Is proba The easiest way to get better at golf is to show up your short putting. All right, without further ado, let's talk to our friend Garrett Morrison. Garrett, welcome on, How are you doing?
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me Andy, I'm doing great. Ready to talk about shinnacock. We don't have to go to in depth on our media day round there. We like don't have to, don't We don't have to tell people what happened or how I played or anything like that. I mean, you alluded to it briefly in your little introductory spiel there, but I don't think people need to, you know, they're not interested in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think you got it on a top. That was a tough introduction to shinnacock. It was blown about twenty five miles an hour.
Speaker 1: Look, Shinnacock was on top of me, the elements were on top of me, but most importantly, I was on top of myself. I did a lot of that to myself. And so you know, basically the media day round for me turned into I'm not gonna hold people up, going to do our little bits to the camera, uh, to to supplement our video, and we're going to kind of focus on that. But if I if I top it into the fescue, I'm I'm not going to be, you know, spending two minutes looking for it.
Speaker 2: I like how you did that? You know you you you know you just you just said. I wasn't there to play golf. I was there to make content.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah that was my responsibility, and yeah I could have done both, but I wasn't playing well enough to I wasn't I didn't have I didn't have things in order to do both.
Speaker 2: My takeaway is that if you didn't have the responsibilities of being you know, real uh a standout Friday golf uh uh, you know video personality on this on this video that we were shooting, you would have played great. That's what I'm taking away. But you know, it's hard to play good golf and work at the same time.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, you know, we we we have things tough here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So that was your first time around Shinnacock. Obviously, it's a course that I think you as a someone who's keen about golf history, the evolution of golf courses, the you know kind of how golf courses and architects, like, I know you had read and spent a lot of time looking at watching tournaments from Shinnacock, studying Shinnecock Hills before you got there. I wanted to start or start this kind of conversation pretty broad. I prepped a couple of things, but I was I was curious, let's talk about like three things each that just on the periphery stand out about Shinnacock. Whether this could be history, this could be design related, or it could be you know, just part of the place.
Speaker 1: Do you want to just go back and forth?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You start one.
Speaker 1: Each, Yeah cool. Yeah, I mean this was my first time seeing Shinnecock Hills in person. One of the great things that I got to do during media day was show up early in the morning and actually walk the golf course because at the same time that we were doing all the media day stuff. We were also putting together a video about the agronomy team at the club, which you mentioned. That's our All Grass Is Local video, which is out already. And so I actually did get to walk the course hole by hole in the early morning when the maintenance crew is out there, and that was a pretty magical experience. You know, I didn't didn't have to worry about my golf game or anything like that, just got to have to look at these golf holes and take some pictures and familiarize myself with the place, because you know, I felt like I knew this course from singing. I mean, I remember the nineteen ninety five US opened very well. That's right when I was starting to get into golf and when I was getting into watching golf. So I vividly remember watching that tournament and seeing this course and being like, whoa, you know, what is this place? Two thousand and four memorable tournament twenty eighteen as well. So I felt like I knew the course, but seeing it in person is a different thing. And that actually leads into my first remarkable thing or favorite thing about Shinnecak Hills. And that's just the simple fact that there are no gates around this golf course, and that a busy road just goes right through the middle of it, Tuckahoe Road. You know, at certain times of day it's actually kind of backed up through the golf course. And this might seem like just a silly thing, but we're talking about Shinnecock Hills here. You know, this is one of the most kind of aspirational and exclusive golf courses in the world. But you realize when you drive up to it that it's just kind of sitting there out in full view. It's almost like Cyprus Point, where you're driving along seventeen mile drive and you realize, oh, there's the thirteenth green just sitting there for anybody to look at. But at Shinnakok Hills it's even more so because you can there's this public road going right through the course. And it just reminds you that the roots of golf in America and on Long Island specifically, were really pretty casual. It's like, yeah, there may have been Vanderbilts who were founding these clubs, but really what was happening is that these guys were going out to find a good piece of land and then they were just playing golf on it, and Shinnacock Hills has retained that feeling by not being behind gates, by just being a place that you can kind of drive up to and that you can see very very well from a busy highway and then and then turning off to go on to Tuckahoe Road. And so just the fact that it's this this piece of land in this golf course are are just sitting there out in public view kind of charmed me and made me feel like this place has still a strong connection to its past.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's a great point, and it's it's you know, certain times a day traffic gets fierce late mid afternoon, it gets you know, they they I think that it's referred to out there as the trade parade is you know, everybody that works on these very nice houses out there that commute from the middle of the island go out there in the morning, going out it's bad in the afternoon, coming backs bad to the central part of the island. But you know, one of the neat things about that, what you pointed out, Garrett, is like, you know, if it's not the US Open week and the roads closed, like one of the other neat aspects of that is if you're just in the area, you could drive and you could you know, park, you could stop your car for a second, throw on your flashers, and the way the road interacts with the golf course, you've got like an awesome view of basically the whole course. So from like a perspective of like listen, like I'm a nut job, I'll never forget when I told my wife we were driving back from Marquette, Michigan, that I needed to pull over because there's a golf course that I've heard is pretty cool and I need to see it. And she's like, what do you mean? And I parked the car at the entrance and got out and sprinted around the golf course. I ran like probably like six or seven holes. It was super late, it was like six pm in the afternoon, and I just like ran around the golf course because I just wanted to see some of the stuff that people have told me about from my own eyes.
Speaker 1: Was for a lifetime of suffering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know that that had to be a red flag. But I ran around the golf course then got back of the car, like, you know, ten minutes later and we drove, we got back on the road and drove that was Pine Hill's. But I was like immediately like okay, I have to get here from a perspective of like, okay, this place you you're it's hard place to go see because of the exclusivity factor of it, but it's not a hard place to just get a look to really understand, you know, when you talk like in real life seeing the landform and you're almost it's almost like you're up with a drone where the road is and you can see how the vast majority of the golf course interacts with each other. And I think that's neat. You know. I'm not saying go there and paint a picture and pull your car over, but you could throw your flashers on, get out of your car, look like almost like a vista point over the ocean on a highway, you know, So very cool aspect of it. You know. One of the things that I know you you've hit on a lot that I appreciate about. Uh Shinnakok Kills is obviously one of the founding five clubs of the U. S g A. So it, along with Chicago Golf Club, the Country Club in Massachusetts, Saint Andrews Golf Club and the fifth because I'm on the spot and didn't write it down Newport Newport. There you go. I knew you you'd picked me.
Speaker 1: We did a good job there See. I wouldn't have been able to rattle off the first four like you did, but but I did have Newport.
Speaker 2: You know what. Inevitably, whenever I tried rattle off those five clubs, I always forget one, and.
Speaker 1: It's Defally Andrews. Probably, yeah, but that.
Speaker 2: Was the one to be because it's the the you know, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't do it for sure. It's not Yeah, it's not the it's it's less prominent than I mean, think about the prominence of the of the others. But yeah, Newport and Shinnacok kind of evolved in similar ways, had shared some personnel and and so there are some there are some links between those two courses.
Speaker 2: The thing I would say about Saint Andrews is I think that it's a lesson. It serves its purpose as a lesson to every other club in America that beware of who you let you know into your house to change things up. And I'll leave it at that. But anyways, it's a founding five member of the USBA, which means it's super old. And I think one of the neat things about about Hittcock is its design history. This golf course has been a lot of things through the years in the early years of of golf. So the original golf course was twelve holes, which was designed by Willie Davis. And this is just like rudimentary golf at this point. You know, this is eighteen ninety one, I believe is the year, and this is just like, hey, like if you look at Chicago Golf Club's early design from CEB McDonald, it's like super rudiment, Like it is not like there's no like they're just trying to like figure out what golf is and how it works in America.
Speaker 1: Right, This is how everybody was doing golf courses in the eighteen eighties and nineties, by the way, just very quick construction, rudimentary, as you say, without a clear idea of the kind of techniques or goals of inland golf course construction.
Speaker 2: So fast forward a few years and then Willy Dunn Junior comes in and this would be and I you know, I think you've researched this way more than me. But I would say this is a Victorian era of design at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would say the original Willie Davis course whatever that what I mean. We don't know like a huge amount about the specific iterations of the early courses at Shinnacock, but yeah, both both of them, I would say we're part of the Victorian era of design broadly. Willy Done certainly kind of classically Victorian.
Speaker 2: So Victorian is like you know, it would be I use this as myself, It would kind of be like the way a five year old might design golf holes which are like bunkers. You have to carry right bunkers right and left because like anything off center needs to be penalized. So this golf course hosts the first championships at Shittakok Hills, which included the US Open in eighteen ninety six in the US and that year. So anyways, then you fast forward and you know National Golf Links has been built, you know, in Sebe McDonald's rummaging around the area, and they bring in Sebe McDonald and Seth Rayner to redesign the golf course and they bring their style of early Golden Age golf architecture to Shinnecock Hills. So we've now hit on, you know, the very beginning basic golf design, the Victorian era of design. And then the final person that comes in is William Flynn in the in the nineteen twenties and like he's not as known, the late nineteen twenties, really they acquire some new land and they go out and build the Shinnecock Hills that we know today. And this is would be the late period of the Golden Age of golf design as we describe it, which ended at roughly the you know, there were some courses that were built after the Great Depression that would still fall in this, but pretty much halted at the Great Depression, and this, you know, I would make an argument would be the most refined era of golf design until really where we're at today. Now. Obviously people might take, you know, might say that I'm crazy for that comparison, and obviously I understand. Nobody ever thinks in the moment they're doing things wrong. You know, RTJ and all of the golf writers during that period thought that was the best era of design. So but this is widely where so many you know, the Golden Age in general, so many of the best golf courses in the world are are are built then. But this late Golden Age period, I think is just you know, it's when Mackenzie is building Ciper's point, Perry Maxwell is building golf courses all over the country. William Flynn, who's way way underregarded, which is insane because he built Shinnecock Hills, which is arguably one of the best courses in the world. He's he's cooking with gas.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: George Thomas is building Thomas courses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of his best work in the late twenties.
Speaker 2: So you did this period was just a you know, it was just a cornycopia of great golf courses being built. And what's neat about Shittacock is that this club kind of embraced each era and updated the golf course and you get this representation of this late Golden Age golf course that is spectacular.
Speaker 1: And then they froze it in time in nineteen thirty one, which also happened to turn out to be smart, right, They didn't then keep following the changing trends of golf architecture through the fifties and sixties and eighties and nineties. Instead they said, we did a good job here. Bill Flynn knew what he was doing, and we're gonna basically preserve that golf course. Yeah, they added some trees, they went a little bit too green in some in some ways in the turf presentation, but that stuff was relatively easy to dial back. They never rebuilt their greens, They never really changed the core of the golf course that William Flynn built in nineteen thirty one. Yeah, I think you nailed it. And this is something that we're going to talk about in depth on the Designing Golf episode that I'm putting together about Shinnacock. But Shinnecock Hills really tells the story of American golf course design through its first forty years and the point that it got to this late Golden Age naturalism is so great, and it was so smart to get to that point and then to say we're done, because I'm not sure the golf course design really ever got better than what this group of architects was doing in the United States in the late nineteen twenties. At that point, they had fully absorbed the lessons of Harry Colt. They had figured out how to build natural seeming golf courses, golf courses that appeared to just be responding to the land but actually had intricate strategic ideas in them. And William Flynn was a master of that. Alistair mackenzie obviously a master of that, and I think a lot about Perry Maxwell's late nineteen thirties mid to late nineteen thirties work as well. I think Prairie Dunes and Old Town Club and Southern Hills also represent this kind of fully developed Golden Age strategic golf. Natural golf in Shinnecock Hills is one of the best examples of that. So I think that's yeah, you laid it laid it out really well there. Do you want to hear my second thing? Yeah, I love how Shinnecock Hills builds through the round. I think it's basically a perfectly sequenced routing. And since this course is responding to the land, that is the primary feeling that you get from Shinnecock Hills. This is a golf course that is about this piece of land rather than about the design ideas of William Flann or whoever else. It makes sense that the main narrative of the round is how dramatic the landforms are. So you start in a portion of the property that's kind of close to National Golf Links and is similar in many ways to that part of National Golf Links with the kind of broad slopes. Right, this is it's kind of its own section of the property. Really, one, two, and three. They all go out along a boundary of the property, slightly turning as they go along, so you get slightly new scenarios with the wind. But the land is not flat there by any means. But it's also not kind of chaotically heaving, which is what you see in other parts of the property. It is it is these broad, long slopes that are again similar to what you see in the nearby section of National Golf Links. Then with the fourth hole, you enter into a pretty flat section of the property. Right The land is I mean, it's good in the sense that it's sandy and that there's some nice tumble to it, especially in the fifth fairway, but it's not dramatic at all. It is really pretty quiet from the fourth hole basically through the eighth hole. Then you get to the ninth hole and you play into this big ridge that the clubhouse sits on. And the ninth hole is a preview of the coming attractions. On the back nine, the fairway is spectacularly tumbling. The green is perched way up on the top of the ridge. The topography of that hole is absolutely incredible, and that continues through holes ten eleven. It quiets down a little bit on twelve to twelve still has that kind of roller coaster feel to it. Thirteen as a tee perched way up on a dune. Fourteen plays along the side of the big dune ridge. Fifteen plays from on top of it down. When you look back from fifteen green up at the tea, you're like, whoa, we just descended a long way down this ridge. Then you're back in the lowlands, right, But sixteen occupies probably the most interesting section of that lowlands part of the property is it has some really nice movement to it. Seventeen and then eighteen plays back into the big ridge, so you know, it's a perfectly structured story about this piece of land. We start on the quieter stuff, and we gradually build to the most dramatic stuff in kind of the middle to late middle parts of the round, and then we go back to the quieter section for a brief period before the end, and then we finish with the good stuff again. So I think the routing is perfect. Then it's kind of kind of odd that on some early routing maps that then were actually reversed. It's not clear to me that they ever really committed to playing the course in that way. But it's kind of like Augusta National, where you're like, it's obvious that the back nine should be the back nine, but maybe it wasn't totally obvious to them from the beginning of the design process. Well, the ravenines are now though, it's it's perfect.
Speaker 2: Well, your reason the back dine became the back dine was because of frost delays. Yeah, and Augusta and.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly right, ten ten Green was unplayable, so they're like, all right, I guess we'd better reverse them. And and because we can't have these amazing holes on the back nine now, like instead of playing them in the first three holes of the day.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the uh, the thing I think that I I would I would say that if they had started with ten as one, there would have been a revolt because ten is the hardest one of the things I've for the US open. It's Thursday morning. I have a park myself on the tenth hole and just watch the garnage.
Speaker 1: And it's like a scorable hole because it's you know, it's maybe not that long for the you can make a birdie. These guys can make birdie here. But it's so disorienting, Like it's the way its relationship to the land is so awkward in a good way, uh, just like it's so blind from the tea. We really don't know where you're playing, and it's you know, there are a lot of places in the fairway where it's blind to the green and the green is so perched up. It's ugh, yeah, I mean it's it's a point. It would be a horrible first hole of the day. Like the guys who have to who have to tee off there, that is really if they put Patrick Red there, you know, Lady j is going to be would be rightfully furious.
Speaker 2: I've I've heard everything I've heard. They're turning over a new page. The past is the past, and it's time for us to move forward and noting.
Speaker 1: Maybe we got to test that happened. Maybe the USG has got to test that by starting starting pee on the tenth.
Speaker 2: Hole, right pins and a early tea time off ten on Thursday. You know, we would know that that they're they're plotting against some you know. Uh. The the one thing I would say about the flip nine if they ever flipped the not if they had the ninth flip nine would be an absolute insane last hole.
Speaker 1: It's a yeah, well it's an epic last hole. It's a you know, and and it makes sense as the last hole because the green is like right right under the clubhouse. And so maybe that's kind of what what Flynn was thinking in that early routing plan. But in every other respect, it it doesn't make sense to have have the round plate in that sequence.
Speaker 2: Not just ten at the start, but having to hit eleven the shot on eleven. I'm we're going to go into the into holes later, but hitting this shot on eleven as your as your second, your second.
Speaker 1: Your first, like the iron off the tee of the day.
Speaker 2: Have fun Like if you get off start on ten, you hit a couple shaky shots so that you can go to eleven. Eleven's your next shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an insane way to start the round. Like I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: I do think like that there's like an element of golf which is kind of like an interesting thing to think about with design, is like where people's confidence is shakiest, and a golf round is the beginning without a doubt. No matter what happens. You have more your head is filled with more doubt early in the round than at any other point in the round.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I would say, actually that starting on today's first hole, does I mean, it's not. It's not the hardest hole in the world for these guys. It can turn into one if you go over the back of the green, obviously.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: The first hole the day elevated tea with the wind off the left, I mean, that's kind of a that's kind of a horrible scenario for a lot of us, right, Yeah, you know, with win just ripping in to accentuate a slice and a hole that is set on a left to right diagonal. Oof. Yeah, I mean it's it's it is not the it's not like a gentle handshake kind of scenario. It's like you better you better have your ball striking in order from the very first shot of the round.
Speaker 2: My second thing that I'll play off you with the routing. One of my favorite aspects of William Flynn. And I don't know if this was a formal nickname or if it was just dubbed this by Wayne Morrison, the great William Flynn historian who will be featured heavily in our preview video. But he he he wrote a book about William Flynn and he called him the nature Faker. And William Flynn was notorious for building these natural golf holes really like really putting an emphasis on using the ground as a hazard. And one of my other big favorite things about about William Flynn was that he believed that golf should be a physical test as well as you know, test of skill, a test of you know, overcoming elements all this stuff. He believed that it should be a physical test. And one of the things I love about Shinnecock Hills is the physicality of the golf course. The I mean, when you play Shitnacock Hills and you get done with a round, you you feel it. Your body feels it, your mind feels it, and you are tired because you are battling all these elements. But most notably it's this epic property, as you alluded to just when you were talking about the routing, and the story tells it's an epic property, but it's got a lot of elevation change. And and like he is, he was not afraid to build holes like the ninth where you are just climbing up this massive hill. You know it is it's got to be you know, fifty six defeat of elevation, uh maybe forty five to sixty feet of elevation on that single hole. And this idea of physicality, I think is a is a is an important piece of golf. And when you talk about the US Open, it is, you know, one of the hardest tests of golf year and year out. Shinnacock obviously elevates it probably to the top of the bucket of testing golf courses. But if you add in just the physical demands of midsummer days where it's hot, you're expending a ton of mental energy. And then the physical you know, challenges of hot days, big big walk and the sheer amount of time that guys are gonna be out there, They're gonna be five and a half hours rounds. This place takes a toll on you over the course of a week. And I think that's a great ingredient of the golf and the overall philosophy of the golf course. Like you're not out at Shittacock for a nice day walk in the park round. You are are participating in a sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And that really culminates with that walk from fourteen green to fifteen t. I'd like to actually look at some early routing plans and see where fifteen t maybe originally was. Maybe maybe it was a little closer to fourteen green, because it's kind of it's kind of not a great green to tea transition. If we're if we're being fair here, but if you're if you're seeing the round as a physical test, that physical test really comes to a head when you have to walk from the fourteenth green straight up a hill to the fifteenth tee. It's just like a final a final kick in the nuts and a very tough stretch of golf. And I remember standing up there, getting up there and then talking to cameras down below about the elevated tea's and getting a couple of sentences in and realizing I was out of breath. It's like I'm losing I can't I can't finish this right now. Yeah, Like I need to I need to take a moment to recover. So, yeah, it's it's Burley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is Burley. It is a uh that's why it's it's literally playing playing four tournament rounds there under the conditions of the US Open. I think, like, you know, like I'm not going to make any illusions of like my career getting to any point, but I used to play a lot of state ams, and the the repetition of playing for you know, our state Am format was thirty six holes the last day, but you know, even going into the the third the third day, you know, with the tea times, the way they work where your afternoon morning like you are, you are fatigued, and a lot of it's mental, you know, with tournament golf, but this, this place is not. They just don't. They don't play golf courses like this. And I know all these guys work out a ton, but there is a taxing element to to certain golf courses and this is one of them. And like you you're gonna see, like like it's challenging to just like maintain your golf swing physically for the four days, and especially at a place where the razor's edge is so.
Speaker 1: So narrow, Yeah, because then you have to hit these these tough, high leverage shots right if you if you if you don't get all the way through your swing and and you block it out to the right, then at Chinnacok you're you're going to be in some tall grass. So it's uh, yeah, it's physically physically unforgiving for sure. So my third thing, and this is kind of going back to the nature Faker nickname, which I believe William Flynn gave himself. So is is a little like a little like King James.
Speaker 2: Here and may I don't know if I like the nature fake or nickname anymore.
Speaker 1: I think he called himself that. I don't know. People can fact check me out there, but that's that's what at least what I had in my head. The thing about it. We've talked about this a little bit, so Alvey brief but unshowy naturalness is kind of for me the key term in describing what Shinnacok Hills feels like. It is not ostentatious about its architecture, about what it's doing strategically, about its greatness. It is very lay of the land, humble. It doesn't show you anything in bright lights, the strategic elements, and the key landforms you have to discover as you go along, because everything just appears to be sitting on the land, hugging that dune land. And I would say, of the American courses in its tier, and it really it's pretty easy to talk about which American golf courses are are in the tier of Shinnecock Hills, it's a small group, right, It's Pine Valley, It's Augusta National, Cypress Point, it's Oakmont, maybe it's you know, maybe you put National in that group, Marion. You wouldn't go much farther than that sand Hills for for some modern representation. I think among those courses, putting aside sand Hills, that Shinnecock is probably the least flashy. And I don't necessarily mean flashy in a negative way, Like you know, I'm not saying Cypress Point is is all flash and no substance or anything like that. But if you compare it to Shinnocock Hills, Shinnecock Hills is much quieter, I think, right that the bunkers are just kind of gouged out of the landforms, and you know, the greens, except for a few on the front nine are very much blended into the landscape and and don't seem to be standing up out of the landscape. Again, you know, seven is an exception here, but unshowing naturalness is really Shinnecock Hills's mode of operating. And I appreciate that so much because it's you know, it's it's not a course that is constantly arguing with you that it's great. It just is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I think that that there's like an unshowing there's a lot of like ritzy aspects of Shinnakok location based, you know, member.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's make no mistake, this is one of the most exclusive clubs in the country. It's not easy to play there where I think you and I are very cognizant of that.
Speaker 2: But like the the other aspect of it is like the clubhouse is what the clubhouse, This great Stanford White clubhouse design clubhouse, it's you see it all over the way. Is an iconic structure in the golf and in the golf world. There's no ac in it, you know, like there's like they're really basic.
Speaker 1: It really does feel preserved, like you know, there are all these old clubhouses in golf, but when you walk into them, it's like, oh, this is modern, but you walk into the Shinnacock Hills Clubhouse, you're like, oh, well, this could kind of blow over and you know, in a strong wind.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, I feel like Shinnacock and uh in Chicago golf are kind of like that together in the sense of like the way they just kind of the golf is just like presented and it's they know, there's like a confidence of like how good it is. And this kind of goes to the clubhouse too, where it's like it doesn't we don't need all the bells and whistles. We know what we got is awesome, and we just let it. Let it be it, you know. And I think that's like the one of the things I love about it too, is just like like they know what they know the course and the club. The course understands what the club understands what the course is, and there's there's never been an attempt to make the course like something that it isn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And this extends as you're as you're implying to conditioning agronomy, right, the grasses at Shinnecock Hills are old weathered, seasoned grasses. The fairways are not a mono stand. The greens are are poa but sort of like Oakmont. It's it's Shinnecock po I mean, this is like, you know, its own version of poe Anua and uh so, yeah. It extends to the conditioning, to where where the maintenance crew is not trying to do anything to show you that this is one of the greatest golf courses in the world. It's just letting the land be the land and the turf be the turf, and and yeah, that's that's just that. That's something I really crave out of golf courses because so many places have gone the modern high tech route at this point. In those respects, Shinnacock has resisted that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they it's it's it's it's a course that feels old, which is rare. You know. I think like you could look at other courses in the same breath as it, and very few of them feel the way that Shinnakock feels. And maybe some people don't like the old nature of it. My final thing just about the broad you know, kind of aspects of history, aspects of Shinnacock. It goes to the history is a little bit of on the design and a little bit of of Shinnacock. Like they were very progressive about women and golf in an era that wasn't progressive. They had female members from like basically the start of the club, which most clubs then did not. They hosted the nineteen hundred US Women's Amateur, which you know, it's cool that they have a US Women's Open coming back there for the first time and ever I think is the first ever US Women's Open in the coming years. But like the idea that women were an integral part of this club from the beginning, but you see it in the design. What I think is fascinating is like this is arguably the hardest golf course in the world for the best men golfers in the world. But if you took a low trajectory player, someone that doesn't have a lot of speed, maybe it's in an older, older person or a female golfer. You know, it's neighbor famous neighbor. National Golf Links is renowned for being this fun place to play. It's way more fun to play than Shinnakok because, like you know, there's a lot of these features, these bulls and you know, it's a little bit more friendly. It doesn't reject as much stuff. Now, if you took a low trajectory player, they would tell you Shinnacock is more playable than National Golf Links. So you have these two iconic golf courses right next to each other, and the interesting aspect of Shinnecock Hills. And this is not meant to be a slight at National Golf Links, but Shinnecock Hills achieves this high bar of being more playable for you know, someone who can't hit the ball more than one hundred and eighty yards. Let's just say then the next door neighbor, while also being the sternest test of men's high level men's golf in America. And to me, that is spectacular.
Speaker 1: There's some commonalities with Pinehurst number two.
Speaker 2: Here where open front appro Yeah.
Speaker 1: Lots of short grass, firm so you can kind of bounce your ball along the fairway as long as you're not as long as you're not getting off corridor on either of those courses Pinehurst number two or Shinnacock Hills, you're probably going to be in pretty good shape. And it's yeah, I mean, it's an the formula is there like we know what to do, no cross hazards, you know, all that kind of stuff. It's there are courses where the biggest trouble you can get into is when you hit it too far on the wrong line, or you make too aggressive of a decision and you go after it. But you're not going to get in much trouble just dinking and along the ground. Yeah, yeah, so yeah, And that's another thing that evolved. I mean, if we see Shinnecock as a representation of the evolution of American golf architecture that evolved in the thinking about golf course design from the eighteen nineties to the nineteen twenties, where the thinking early on was we want to punish the dinked shot the most. That is the worst shot, therefore it should receive the worst punishment. Well, by the time William Flynn comes along and designs today's Shinnecock Hills, the prevailing philosophy, or at least the smartest philosophy among the best architects, was that you don't worry about punishing those shots because there's no point. You know, people who play that way or are going to have it, you know, presumably they're they're not gonna set the course record anyway, and so we might as well focus on challenging the really good shot. And that's what both number two in Shinnacock do so well.
Speaker 2: All Right, we got the three things done. Before we get into more in depth on the golf course, Let's take a quick break for our partners on audio devices on YouTube, will keep rolling. What makes Hinnacock so beguiling to the world's best players.
Speaker 1: It's obviously a combination of factors. But the way I would sum it up sum it up is that everything about this place keeps a good player off kilter. So it's the elements. It's the firmness of the turf, the soils combined with the turf presentation. It's the exposure to the elements. When we were playing at Chinnakok, a number of times you were kind of looking around the surrounding area and saying, I think this is the highest point, right. I think there's no place immediately around the golf course that is higher than where you are on like thirteen T And that means that you catch the full brunt of the wind at Shinnacock, especially on the back nine. It's the volatility of the golf course, the fact that it can change so much from the beginning of the round to the end of the round. The course can turn on the kind of slightest provocation from dryness and wind. All of a sudden, you go from a course that might be relatively docile to a great player to a course that absolutely doesn't give you anything, and the greens are browning out and every shot is battling the wind. And I think all of those kind of natural characteristics of Shinnacock that keep good players off kilter are matched with design elements that also keep good players off kilter. So nothing at Shinnacock is straightforward. Nothing is linear. It's always diagonal. You always have to match line with speed, both on your putts and on your full shots. You can't just bash it straight down a whole corridor and say, you know, it's okay if this goes two hundred and seventy five yards. Are three hundred and twenty five yards as long as I stay on this line. No, you have to be more specific about the distance that you're hitting your shots and the line that you're taking to hit that distance. The greens are always kind of tilted or angled, or doing something that is unexpected or destabilizing, and so you know, I think it's a course where everything about it is is slightly askew, and it just makes good players uncomfortable because they can't settle into a groove.
Speaker 2: There's definitely an element of where you play safe repeatedly puts you then in a very difficult next position because of angle and orientation of greens, even when you're in the fairway, but if you're on the wrong side, you know, inevitably that shot gets more challenging. And with the firmness and the wind, like you know, sometimes you get in these positions where it's like, okay, I need to shade, you know, especially with modern golf strategy, I need to shade over here the aspect of shinnakok. That is, you know, when you do that, you then put yourself where the degree of the next shot is inherently way more difficult. And it's like, Okay, I took the easy route here, but you don't. It's not you know, I think like you know, I I I believe a lot in the course management strategies that are employed by by PGA tour players on most weeks, but I think what the greatest golf courses do is that they they are outliers and they don't necessarily always fit exactly the way the data sets say that they fit because TPC Craig Ranch is not Shinnecock Hills and most of the data comes from golf courses of the ilk of TPC Craig Ranch that instructs players how to play. Now, I'm not saying like hug lines and do that, but it's just the sheer understanding of when I when I take the easy route, I'm now presented with a shot that is decimal points more difficult on the back end of it. So you know, there is a real cause and effect there. And I think like one of the things that you you brushed on the elements and and you live in the Pacific Northwest. I used to live out out there, buddy, of Iya.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know. I don't know if I'm going to let that go by San Francisco, Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm trying to sneak it by you. But I met more on the coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, I get what. Yeah, San Francisco weather is not too dissimilar from from Oregon. Weather just we get more rain up here.
Speaker 2: So I you know, my first year there, buddy of mine, I was like, I just can't believe these rainstorms out here that you get where it just torrentially range three days straight and you're just like, it's like kind of a ridiculous proposition for somebody who didn't who had never really experienced that. And a buddy of mine was like, well, that's what happens when there's nothing stopping weather for five thousand miles, you know, is you get these huge storms.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The ocean is a source of volatility, right, it is, and that's and that's where that's the that's the foundation of golf, right you know Scottish people, that is golf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you look at Shittacock, it is this is golf when when a golf course is ninety miles out into an ocean and there's nothing around it that slows anything down because of the way it sits up, and it just is you're exposed. You're out in the in the ocean, and the golf course is just so that aspect of it is so different than everything else that these guys generally play. You know, I think it's always interesting the tournament. The tournament, the PGA to our hosts in bermudas always actually a really fun watch because it's golf in ocean and like sure enough, like you get these crazy weather days where the guys are just hitting like punch shots like last year. Shinnacock brings that to a US Open, which is the sternest test of golf. And it's this very refined, championship style golf course that is just it has the soils in terms of what we're saying is sand which creates bouncy environment, also a porous environment that dries really quickly. So you get the sand, you get the turf dialed in, you get the wind, and then you get the natural undulation of the golf course and they combine with that golf course design just create this beast that is that like every shot has an implication as you were you said, like he puts you off kilter. The only way to make your next shot in you know, golf, a lot of times, you know, it's like setting up your next shot, similar to pool or stuff. The only way to get yourself an on kilter shot shot is to do something uncomfortable. Now, yeah, sometimes.
Speaker 1: You can or the lie. You have to earn those things.
Speaker 2: And sometimes you can get those. You can achieve those by missing, by taking a safe target line and missing, and you achieve that. But at Shittacock, if you answer the question, the very hard question they're asking off the t, you set yourself up for a much e easier road in the issue with golf in the way that you know, not the issue, but just the natural thinking of golf in generally speaking, the better the golfer, and this is I think what a lot of you know, uh, recreational players don't understand. The better the golfer, the more conservative the golfer is because they understand they run into Bertie's and they if they just do things that avoid bogies, you are going to play good rounds at Shinnacock. When you play very conservatively, you end up with a lot of high degree stressful situations from perfect lies that lead to eventual bogies. So it is a that's where I think this golf course, you know, it just has it presents and Augusta does this to a certain extent where if you're just in certain spots, you cannot go anywhere near whole locations at shittacock. It is just because of the elements of the wind. You're just presented with this all day long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's really informative to look at how brooks Kopka played the course in twenty eighteen. You know, his Sunday round is available shot by shot on YouTube. I rewatched it recently, and the thing that struck me was how many irons he hit off the tee. He was just bludgeoning that Nike driving iron that he had in the bag for a long time. You just muscling that thing out into the fair way. And yeah, he was hitting it as long as a lot of guys hit their drivers, which I mean, it's a major advantage when you can do that, but that was his primary tactic. He really didn't hit that many drivers, at least not as many drivers as you would expect brooks Kepka to hit, but he obviously saw an advantage in clubbing down to that driving iron and just being able to determine a little more finally where he was in in the fairway. And uh, and that's that that's the advantage that I think one of the us opened because in other respects, you know, his final round was just kind of okay, mostly he missed some pot seat. You know, he wasn't lights out or anything like that, but he just had that incremental advantage every time he hit that driving iron and it found the fairway and and he was in a position that other guys, uh, you know, had to get to by by hitting driver and uh and that's uh, you know, that's that's kind of a formula at at Chinnacock for success. So I would yeah, I mean, I'm I did choose John Ron for that John Ron for the PGA Championship. So people maybe should listen to my listen to my prognostications and and my touts and my you know whatever else. You know. I mean, maybe I'm maybe I'm gambling boy who knows, uh.
Speaker 2: Golf might be one of the preeminent gambling podcasts.
Speaker 1: Might be he might be supplanting shotguns start coming up here, guys, you better watch out.
Speaker 2: I think, like, yeah, I think a hole, uh you know, to the to the point of what we're talking about here, a hole that represents this well that like I saw on media day, really play out for me. It was playing into the wind, and the wind was off the left was the was the sixth hole, which is a longer, longer part for and I wanted to get into some like individual holes, and I think this might might be a good jumping off point here as well. So the sixth hole is a really it's on you know, some of the flatter land at at Shinnacok it's more docile land. But it's got a really unique t shot where it's half of it's blind. You can see the left half of the fairway. Uh, the right half of the fairway is over the sand dune and you have the sandy waste that cuts in and like you know, you don't want to be over there, So your natural inclination is always to play to the left, to the fairway that you can see, and particularly depending on how the wind is. But this green, the way it orients, the green accepts shots really well from the right side of the fairway. Yeah, And because of this hole's length and just the way it fits in, you're gonna be hitting a lot of mid mid irons into this green depending on the wind and and you know, irons of somewhat consequence. If you're from the right side, the green is pretty big and it's a pretty big target. Now if you play safe to the left, all of a sudden you're hitting across this green axis and there's a you know, there's you know, people always talk about false fronts. They this I would call a false edge is on the right side of the green, and that false edge then comes into it when you're playing directionally across the axis of the green, which is from the safe side of the fairway. This you have to carry a bar bunker from that left side, and then the right side of the green falls off. If you're playing from the right side, the green is open in the front. The false edge is yeah there, it's on the right, but you don't have to navigate the bunker. So it presents the situation where like, yeah, the t shot is really uncomfortable to push right, but if I don't do that and I play safe, then I get the really uncomfortable second shot to navigate. So it's putting you constantly in this position of like yeah, I can play safe, but almost every time that you play safe, you are then given a shot. And they do this really with like simplistic slope, and it's similar like ironomic. I think everybody had this like awakening with the greens of like Wow, slope is really effective in particular firm slope and what Shinnacock always does to you, and in a great example of this as the sixth hole, is that firm slope, angles and angles in the green create all the hazards you need to make a very interesting hole. And like, yeah, you can make birdie, you can make par from the left, but it's much more difficult than if you if you place a ball on the right.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think that when you're trying to unlock the strategic angles at Shinnecock Hills, understand those and how they relate to the green designs. Don't look at what's in front of the green, although that is interesting in itself, I think what's more relevant at Shinnecock Hills is what's behind the greens, where the big punitive runoffs are. And basically, the advantageous angle is where you're not hitting in to that big runoff or ledge that is in your line. Right, the advantageous angle is where you can play a shot that isn't traveling toward that feature. So if you just stand behind Shinnecock's greens and kind of look at where's the worst place to be, where's the most severe drop off here, then you can kind of line up from that drop off to what the disadvantageous part of the fairway is. And on the sixth hole, if you line up that drop off, you're going to be pointing at that left side of the fairway, which is the only visible portion of the fairway from the tee. So if you want to avoid that, then you have to play out to the right where there's all this, you know, as you mentioned, all this sandy waste area and it's blind, so classic strategic stuff. But for me at Shinnecock it's less about I mean, the internal contours of the greens are there, but it's not like Augusta National, you know, it's mostly like broad slopes and tilts that are relevant where so much of the action is on Shinnecock Hills greens is on the exterior and especially in the back of the green. That for me is really what determines so many of the strategic angles. And it's the same case on the fifth hole right. For me, the fifth and sixth holes are connoisseur's corner at Shinnakok Hills.
Speaker 2: Before we get to five, something I want to point out and you brought up Brooks the way he played Shinnacock. Just an interesting ancdote with what you just said about like stand behind the green, look at the features. The twenty twenty three US Open at la CC, he had just won oak Hill and a reporter asked him about how does he break down a golf course? How does he figure out how to play a golf course? You know what he said, I stand on the back to the green and I work it out from there. The greens. You know, I don't have the exact quote up, but he effectively said, the greens tell me exactly where I want to be to approach the green, To approach the green, you know, he and he I think he went on to say something along the lines of like, at these really hard golf courses, angles really are important to like playing well. And you know this is contrary to a lot of statistfic statisticians.
Speaker 1: I mean that the data boys were down bad with that quote. I mean that was.
Speaker 2: But here it is at the at the time, you know, the you know, the guy that had just rantled off five majors in a really quick clip at some of the toughest golf courses in the world. Including Shittacok, like he gave a lens into how he how he understood these golf courses and it succeeded and ended up on top. And it's understanding from the back the back of the hole like when you and on shinnakock'screens. It's very simple, but it's just incredibly hard to achieve what they're asking you because you have to do something uncomfortable from the start of the hole.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, yeah, And you know, as far as holes to notice are concerned at Shinnakawk, I think that you know, you'll also see these dynamics that we're talking about on the tenth hole, which is probably going to get a lot of coverage on the telecast. You know, blind t shot and you basically have the choice to play up to a high section of the fair way where you have a chance to see the green, or you blast it through and you end up in this huge hollow in front of the green so that your approach is shorter, but you're hitting up blind to this kind of perched green. It's a very very difficult wedge from down there, and it's it's like, yeah, it's a tough decision, I think, but I think most guys are going to end up in that hollow because that's what they're trained to do.
Speaker 2: At this point, the we'll get to connoisseur's corner. I don't want to ruin your counter sit ye corner here. But the one thing about the tenth that's interesting and subtle about that decision. You know, we just we talked about the firmness, we talked about the wind, we talked about the you know, the the precision you need to attack these greens. And like, the interesting trade off with ten is if you stay up high, you have that longer shot in you can see it, and what you do is you retain a high angle of attack, a high angle of of of descent into the into the green, so stopping power. One of the aspects of when you go down low is you're sure you're hitting a wedge and you're closer, but you're trading that for because you're coming from so far below the green, you're you're you lose some of the typical stops the power of the wedge because the descent into the green is lessened by the elevated nature of it. So what happens is it's this tiny target that you have to hit in your shot skips with the wedge more than the traditional wedge that comes in and stops, so you're gonna get more skip. So it's also this trade off of the functional depth of the green. Actually when you get closer, gets narrower, and it's a fascinating trade off. Like I personally will always take the wedge from down low because I'm just like frankly, not very good with mid irons anymore.
Speaker 1: It's a tough shot from up above.
Speaker 2: It's a tough shot. But for these guys like I do think that there's an element of the descent that makes that shot a bit more predictable. I do expect most people to play down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they will, but you know, notable. Again, Brooks' final round, he played up top. He took he took the longer shot from the higher section of the fairway. So I mean the guy won the US Open, so maybe maybe he was onto something. Who knows. So yeah, I mean ten or eleven remarkable holes on the some of the best land on the property. I think those will get a lot of attention because they're such severe shots. Those approaches are so you know, the margins are so fine, there and eleven in particular is going to be very entertaining for watching on TV. So that's the you know, that's where a lot of attention is going to focus. But as I said, I do think five and six are are kind of connoisseur's corner down there. You know, this is where this is where the nerds are going to be really happy. And you know six we've already gone in depth with. There are similar dynamics on five where you have these big runoffs behind the green that then kind of determine strategy back to the te You know, five is screaming downwind and it's not that long of a part. So this is going to play as a as a as a glorified par four essentially, but it's gonna be a little bit like those par fives at Augusta National where yeah, almost everybody is gonna be able to reach in two, but the shots that you have to be able to hit in order to avoid disaster are tough shots. So you know, five is a double fairway hole. It would be a little bit cooler, you know, if everybody didn't just play to the left fairway, which they will. You know, back in the day, it would have been a legitimate choice. You can play it conservatively out to the right fairway, play it as a three shot hole, or go to the left fairway and have a chance of reaching in two. Well, today there's really no reason to play out to the right fairway for the pros, and so everybody's going to go to the left fairway. Kind of a bummer, but they can't move the tee back much more, and technology is what it is, but you still have that factor of the wind, and then the green is just wild. It is pushed up. It has this false front bunker on the right side and these huge runoffs behind. Back in nineteen ninety five, Tom Kite actually chipped from one runoff to another on this green. So it is very severe and those shots from behind the green are very very tough. But if you get in a certain spot on the left side of the fairway for your approach, and in the fairway runs out pretty quickly over there, you might end up in the rough. But if you manage to find the fairway on the left side from that angle, there's this little spine behind the green that's not bad to be on. So if you go long from that angle, there's a little bit of forgiveness. You're not going to go down into one of these deep hollows behind the green. There's this one spot where you might be saved a little bit, and the chip isn't nearly as hard, and you can only access that angle if you're on the left side of the fairway over there. If you're on the right, much much tougher shot to reach the green in two. But then if you look in front of the green, there's this nice little funneling contour along the left side, and so if you're conservative from the right side and you kind of play into this little kicker slope that feeds in from the left side, there's a little bit of forgiveness there as well. It's really only when you go for the pin on your second shot from a you know, from not the most advantageous spot, that the fifth hole is really going to get on top of you. And since it's playing so directly downwind, it's going to be awfully taught tough to stop your ball on the green. Right the balls are going to be running through the green here, a lot of balls are going to end up in those swales behind, and it's not easy from back there.
Speaker 2: It's not easy. The one saving grace is if it is humbing down, you've got the wind to help you on the way back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, you're tripping back into it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think like one of the things that green represents those like kind of like how Flynn used greens at Shinnecock. It's you know, there aren't that many greens that on first look will stop you in your tracks at Shinnacock, the way some greens at Augusta National will. The fifth green stops you in your tracks. You are like wow. But it also is at like one of the most docile pieces of the property where it's very like, you know, you kind of go through this stretch four, five, six, seven, eight, that's probably the stretch of the the most adventurous greens, but also the intersection of probably the quietest part portion of the land. And then the rest of the round really from eight on is ramped up by really the you know, the the topography of the golf courts. In these natural green sites, now, like there are some really cool greens, like seventeen is a really neat green that's on flat land in there. So I'm not I'm speaking more in you know, generalities. But this stretch of golf, as you dubbed it, Connoisseur's Corner. The one issue with Connoisseur's Corner, which actually is is fitting. You know, there's not a lot there's not gonna be a lot of people at Connoisseur's Corner. It's also hard to watch. It feels like it's like an indie film, you know. Yeah, yeah, you're gonna there's a big barrier to entry, get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody's kind of mumbling their dialogue and sometimes a little hard to hard to tell what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Connoisseur's Corner. I'd love to be like, this is where you should park and watch golf. I actually I don't think it's the best vantage point because of the green, but it'd be hard to be close enough to like be able to see it. Maybe I like it maybe just short life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, behind six green you can of get up and see the six hole. I think that's a good spot. But yeah, but you're right, I mean that's part of what's tough about those shots, especially the T shots. You're you're down low, you know, you're really flush with the ground on those T shots, and you're looking out and you're like, hey, you ain't see anything. You know, it's very it's very linksy in that portion of the property where the blindness comes not from having like a big thing in front of you. The blindness comes from just the fact that you're down low.
Speaker 2: There's there's some clever holes that I just quickly like to highlight that. Like we've talked a lot about, Like, you know, I think the most of the course works as like real strategic architecture. Play close to the bunker and you get the reward. There are a couple holes there's one on each side in particular that I've kind of learned over time that like it's actually the opposite of what you naturally think to do to me. Two holes that you know, eight is I think eight's going to be like kind of like the hipster cat nip hole cat nipole of the of the where like every every people are gonna you know, the hipster like katrarian you know viewpoint, And I guess i'd be katrarian saying that that fellow Katrarians are gonna come for this hole. So I want to just be on the record of saying it's probably gonna jump the shark a little bit this week. It's a nice hole, but it's not like one of the most spectacular holes. The eighth hole is a really cool mid length par four. It's a shorter par four, and the way the green operates is really neat. There's this like big front and right knob in your natural inclination. There's a faraway bunker up up the right side. Is to push it close to the faraway bunker, get the best angle. You actually want to play to the outside of the dog like on on eight, and that's gonna get you the access to the green, which is it's just a clever difference, like if that pins front right, there's you cannot get You're gonna have a hard time holding the green from the right side of the faraway The other one that kind of fits that bill a little bit, that is lost in a stretch like a really I think this one is probably the one that gets paid attention to the least in this epic closing stretch of the back nine is the fifteenth. The fifteenth is this mid length you tee off from a high ridge and this mid length par four that like kind of curves around this landform. There's like a big ridge in the fairway and it jogs to the right around it, and there's some bunkers in front of the green. The green subtly pitches away. I think this is like the tricky thing about this hole is the green. Really like you, it takes a couple of times before you realize, like how unreceptive that green is. Your natural inclination on this hole is just, oh, I'm just gonna bash it up there and get But the play is to just give yourself full spin control into this green. And like the play is that, like just play it out left and short.
Speaker 1: And it is not really a huge factor on fifteen. I wouldn't say the green isn't like preferring one or the other. It is, as you say, mostly about the fact that it's kind of guarded in front, which itself is unusual at Shinnecock Hills. You don't see really that many bunkers right in front of greens, but there are in fifteen. And then the fact that it pitches away from there.
Speaker 2: And it often plays down wind, so like it just like becomes a very tricky golf shot if you don't have full control of your ball. So fair way and actually full wedge there to me, like what I think those two holes I think are interesting in the sense of like they go against like the misconception or the common perceptions of golf where I'm fascinated to watch people play fifteen. If the wind strong enough, like some of these guys might get like twenty yards away. Is that going to play out? Like with how talented these guys are, Like are they going to push it up? Does that yield the you know? Or do they keep it back to keep the spin on the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's funny you're talking about holes where the strategy that you would expect is actually reversed.
Speaker 2: Thirteen.
Speaker 1: That happens as well, where the advantageous angle is the outside of the dog leg. And this is just another element of Shinnecock Hills that is a little bit off kilter. Nothing is consistent at Shinnacock, and I think it would be disappointing if every dog leg hole preferred the inside of the dog leg, because that would be a kind of form of orientation or consistency at Shinnecock. But that's not what this place is about. It's about always keeping you off balance, and so it's appropriate that there are a couple of holes where you know, you really kind of want to play to the outside of the dog leg or just kind of play to the most generous portion of the fairway as opposed to gaining any particular kind of advantage by by taking a risk.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That's that's Shinnakock thrown through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's amazing. What other holes do you have? Any holes that you want to spotlight? I didn't really plan on doing eight and fifteen, but I got I got there.
Speaker 1: We've covered most of the ones that that I wanted to touch on. I think, you know, every hole is good at Shinnakok. That's the thing about this whole. Well, I mean, I have some critiques of seven, but it's a memorable, you know, version of of Aridan. But yeah, it's it's kind you're not running the ball up there. It's not like a yeah, it's it's really an aerial exercise. And when the green gets i mean, the green is is so fast in relation to the slope there that that it kind of I think mutes the complexity the potential complexity of the whole. But that aside, you know, Shinnacock is a remarkably consistently great course, Like every hole is is really really good, and so we could talk about pretty much any hole, but we've covered most of the ones. I think ten and eleven are going to be the stars of the telecast. Five and six are going to be the fun ones for kind of geeking out. And then you know, I wrote down eighteen here just because I mean, it's a great golf hole. The reverse camera fair way leading to a green that I think is really beautifully sighted, Like it's a great green site, and the green is so well blended into it's it's just gorgeous and kind of a bit of a natural amphitheater effect around the green, and so it so it kind of feels appropriate for the ending of a championship. But what's that I've been rewatching old tournaments at Shinnecock. I've been kind of rewatching the old US Opens. Eighteen is always interesting at the end of the tournament. Eighteen has consistently produced memorable moments, memorable plays at the end of the US Open for the winner. So in nineteen eighty six, Ray Floyd played an immaculate round at Shinnacock. He was just like, it's got to be one of the greatest rounds in major championship history what Raymond Floyd did at Shinnacock that day, and he played eighteen absolutely perfectly, amazing drive, kind of cutting the corner, taking the high side of the reverse camber, amazing iron and just it was representative of his full round. In a really satisfying summation of his tournament. Nineteen ninety five, Corey Paven just hits a poofball out to the right like they had us. You know, usually at these media days they have you hit a famous shot right, so you know the Tiger putt on eighteen at Tory or the Jack Nicholas one iron on seventeen at Pebble. They they of course marked the spot where Corey Pavin hit his forward from and and looking at that spot you almost laugh. It's like, really, that's where that's where he ended up. But yeah, everybody remembers that. Everybody remembers that forward. It's a it's a great moment in championship golf history. Then in two thousand and four, Ratief Goosen plays the hole pretty well but kind of trickles a little bit off the fairway and his and his iron, you know, flew on him a little bit and went through the green. And when you're behind the hole on eighteen at Shinnecowk Hills, you're in trouble. And so he had a very tense moment where he had to hit this very delicate lag putt and then he had a four footer to finish, and the history of Ratief Goosen and four footers at major championships, we know is a little bit fraught. And then finally Brooks Koepka kind of made a mess of eighteen and twenty eighteen. He ended up kind of back left of the green and had to hit a really amazing chip in order to recover from that. I believe he ended up bogeying the hole, but it would have been it would have been really tense if he had had to par the hole. So I think eighteen has a way of really administering an interesting final test to the winner of the tournament, and I would expect that to be the case again this year.
Speaker 2: It's you know that what you were talking about reminding me of one other really big theme I think that will play out is you know, you talked about how being above the hole is such a tough spot to be on eighteen pretty much every green out there because of the slope, and then sometimes how the wind can also impact it. The wind just in gener role because of the greens are so exposed impacts putting a lot similar to what we saw at Ironomnk last week, or you know, is something that's going to be a factor with putting. But being above the hole, you know, it kind of plays to the same theme we're talking about. If you can put from below the hole at Shinnacock, it you could really rack up birdies because they are fairly simple uphill putts where you can you can you can really putt aggressively, and but to get to there is often the hardest shot. Like you have really achieved great greatness when you have these uphill putts at Shinnacock, because they are very hard to earn.
Speaker 1: You got to control your ball on the ground right well, you have to control it's so hard to do.
Speaker 2: You generally have to take on an edge to get them, like a false front or a and undulation in particular. You know, it's just the it's just a hard place to get uphill putts and the the safe shots to always yield these insanely delicate downhill or side hill putts where you're putting you're giving so much break and it's you know, it's you're trying to drop it in the high side on a on a dying putt, or you're putting downhill and you're really like in the back of your head thinking about, oh, like I really have to be careful of not leaving myself six feet coming back, which inevitably is a bad mindset to putt from. But like this, this it goes to that that play is again if you take on the risk, if you take which is hard to do over and over again, which is where like I think, like shitnacock is such a key. The key thing to shittacock is just managing your game and understanding like when are the opportunities where I can I can nudge a little bit more risk in and when are the opportunities where I have to back off and I'm going to have to grind my way to par But like understanding that delicate balance, because you cannot go out there and go you know, aggressive all day long. You have to you have to pick your spots of where you decide to take on the risk because if you don't take on any risk all day you're going to shoot a seventy four. But if you if you pick your few spots where you are willing to do it, that's how you achieve, and you shoot the scores and you can make I think the thing about Shinnakok overall thematically is it is extraordinarily hard as a golf course. But I've always found it very I wouldn't call it easy, but it's very achievable to make like five six birdies like it is. That is an achievable thing you play Shinnacock is to make birdies. If you hit great shots like you get really great opportunities. It is not one of those golf courses that like throttles down scoring. You know what we saw at aronom Ink of what we saw like complaints from players or not complaints, I would say critique. This is not a complaint. What Rory said about the variance and kind of holding, Shittacock's the opposite. You're going to see a wide range of scores at Shinnecock.
Speaker 1: Hills, especially if the elements show up. You know, I think if it's placid out there, we could see some low scoring. And I've gotten to a point where I fear the discourse. Yeah, I think I think we've gotten to a bad spot in the discussion of championship golf courses and set up. You know, Shinnecock Hills is a great golf course, but if if the elements don't show up, if the course is a little bit soft, if the USGA is a little bit shy of you know what happened in twenty eighteen or two thousand and four where you know, the competitors were complaining that they lost the golf course. They if they go a bit conservative and we don't get a lot of wind and dryness, then some guys could go low. And then we're just going to be hearing all week about how we hyped up Shinnecock Hills and it turns out that it sucks. And I'm just sort of like pre exhausted by that. I mean, this is is such a great golf course, and you know, for me, that's not attached to whatever scored a part it produces in the US Open or any particular week that the best players happen to show up there. We know what what Shinnakok can do when when it's windy and dry. We know that that's that hasn't changed. But you never know what you're going to get at any golf course, but especially at Shinnacok Hills. And so if anybody's listening this far into the pot, you're probably with us on a lot of this stuff anyway. But I just am begging people to chill begging, begging, begging people to chill out and just try to enjoy seeing golf on one of the world's greatest golf courses. And and I'll try my best to restrain myself from getting too deep in the muck with with people I disagree with on on US Open Week myself.
Speaker 2: But it's just the vocal minority, Garrett most I know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we we all tend to amplify in our minds. Uh, some of these, some of these voices on social media that may not represent the the general opinion or view of a golf course. But I have become gun shy over the past couple of years. You know, there are still people who who come at me for saying that LACC was a great golf course. Guess what, I'm still LACC is one of the greatest golf courses in the world.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 1: I don't care what you thought of that US Open, like it clearly is. And and at this point they're they're th who are stating in his fact that that it's not a good golf course. And I'm like, We've just kind of got insane with this stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to the posts of the pinsheet round one of someone someone who's never been to Shinnacock looking at a US Open pinsheet, which inevitably is going to have all tucked pretty much like a lot of tuck pins. It's just the inevitability. That's what pro gomf.
Speaker 1: They have to do nowig golf course for these guys, make no mistake, Like the.
Speaker 2: Pins are gonna be tough, and they're gonna say John Bodhammer chose violence today. But but anyways, that's that's the fun. I don't know. I think you just got a smile. I was. I was just enjoying. I just enjoy that the golf courses are getting talked about a lot.
Speaker 1: And you know, to an extent, I do too, And and I I sort of riding out the wave of the the aernomic discourse online was was at times very fun and I'm glad that people are kind of paying attention to this subject that I've personally been obsessed with for thirty years. But man, I feel like we're creeping up to an edge where it's not going to be fun anymore, and I hope it just I hope it stays fun because Shinnacock is so good and it's it's just such a such a boon for golf fans when a big tournament goes here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, this was great. I really can't wait for Shinnecock Hills. I'm excited for all of our coverage, and Garrett, thanks for putting in a lot of work on the coverage that we're going to be putting out the next couple of weeks. I hope everybody tunes into the YouTube's, your podcast, and our website will be humming with a lot of golf course architecture stuff around Shinnecock Hills. William Flynn and yeah, I can't wait for this week or not this week, a couple of weeks when Shinnecock Hills is on display. So thanks Garrett, and big thanks to PJ Clark for editing and producing today's podcast. PJ, We're all invading your island. You know we're talking about golf on Long Island, so thank you for listening. We'll be back next week with a new episode of the Friday Golf Podcast.