Speaker 1: Betting on a game. No moment's gonna tell us not be. We're here just drinking beer, making that noise.
Speaker 2: Baby, I'm hanging.
Speaker 3: With the fellows, Blessing with the boys.
Speaker 4: Bro there it is, welcome to another episode of Busting with the Boys. I'm your host, Will Compton, the boy Taylor out in Canada. We got the boys in the back, Mitch Jack g We're gonna have an incredible episode this evening, this morning, this afternoon, whenever you're tuning in and watching it, if you're tuning in and watching it on YouTube, don't forget to subscribe. If you're listening on the way to work, if you're listening in those in those headphones right now, make sure to subscribe on basically anywhere you get your podcast. That's how that's how you can support the boys. That's how we keep this thing going. Before we get into everything, because we got a launcher list of some house some house cleaning, housekeeping, whatever we want to call it. But this episode is presented by the one, the only, the Chevy Silverado. And if you see me looking up right now, we've done a little we've done some upgrading in here. We got the uh, we got the monitor raised at a higher level. Now it's on a nice little swivel so we don't have to battle with that. What else happened my my little microphone arm The boys got this thing lower so that way it's not in our face. But we're we're doing some big things. But it's all because of the Chevy Silverado. Silverado Summer. Think of all the possibilities with the Chevy Silverado for moff road adventures, to do yourself projects and hardcore work. The Silverado has the capability and technology to make this summer your best one yet. With nine different Silverado models to choose from and engines that range from the Turbomax to the six point two V eight in that Duramax diesel, you can count on the Chevy power and performance to get anything done anywhere, anytime, anyplace, against any.
Speaker 1: Against any competition.
Speaker 4: Like many of you, we've been hitting the road a lot lately and it seems like everywhere we go there's an army Silverado's and Silverado owners. So shout out to you all game recognize this game, which brings us before we get in head to Chevy dot com to check out the Chevy Silverado and all the Chevy trucks, the official truck of Busting with the Boys, speaking of being on the road in our Chevy and seeing chevyes nationwide. We are going to be our fall tailgate tours coming up. We're actually going to once we dial in these last couple stops that we're trying to figure out, which we could use your guys's help on. If you're watching right now, leave a comment comments section harass us on Twitter and social media, we're gonna be posting where we should go for our final stops, for our final couple stops.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do six stops this year.
Speaker 4: Obviously one's gonna be the Bust and Bolt, so you know nothing but Chevy Silverado owners out in the Great City of Nebraska. But let us know where we need to go because we'll be hitting the road. It's gonna be a good guys. It's gonna be a fucking fun season. It feels, honestly, the vibe at Busting with the Boys HQ probably the last week or so now, like leading up into it, you can feel kind of the urgency that's coming, the excitement with football season, but also the stress that I know you guys are feeling way more than myself, Like I'm like, fuck, we gotta do all these different things. We're gonna be doing, busting with the boys. Bet the Bus is coming back. Bet the Bus will be out this I think we're gonna roll with this Friday. Based on some things that we have to do this week. We're gonna record on Thursday that'll come out Friday. Bet the Bus is coming back. We got another show in the works that's gonna be getting announced soon. Then also doing the Pro Football Football show out at Barstol Chicago. We'll beting Barstol Chicago on Fridays, and then our fall tailgate tours on the weekend, six different weekends this year. And I know, from my perspective, it's like, man, we got a lot of shit coming up, especially September. We're traveling every weekend at September. But I know for you guys, it's like there's a lot of shit going on. There's a lot of shit happened. There's a lot of shit happening. Some big meetings, one big meeting tomorrow that you hopefully will help alleviate some stress from the boys.
Speaker 1: But it feels like we're more like as excited as everybody is.
Speaker 4: We're also trying to get our head above water a little bit before the season's even gotten started.
Speaker 1: Do you guys have anything you would have been on earth?
Speaker 5: I mean, how much time do you have?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you hit it pretty spot on. We got a big fall ahead. I think once we get into like the first weekend, maybe second weekend, I'm hopeful that most of this stress will kind of fall away. But you don't really know until you're in the thick of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, right, it's the positive is externally, it's a great problem to have, right, a lot of decisions, it's a lot of workflow stuff that it's like, Okay, we really need to dial in some workflow, some streamlining, some things, because there's just a lot on the docket that could get easily lost in the cracks if everybody's out on top of their shit and then everybody's trying to pass the bag on whose faults were, and there's a lot of there's a lot of cooks in the kitchen at times. But as as good as those problems can be externally, if the internal isn't handled with all of that, it can create some internal conflict at times. And I'm not saying like, you know, bad conflict, just you want everybody in a good, high vibe mood when you when we're around each other on these tours, because we're going to be around each other a lot, and just like you know, delivering everywhere we go, everything we do. But I digress. I don't know what that came from. We were talking about, oh with the Fall Tailgate Tour. The Fall tail Gate Tour, I mean last year we had a really good tour.
Speaker 1: We hit.
Speaker 4: Michigan, South Carolina, Tennessee, Notre Dame, where else because we hit another.
Speaker 5: One Austin, but that was spring.
Speaker 4: Oh we in Nebraska. Yeah, early in the year we hit in Nebraska, Georgia.
Speaker 5: Southern No, northwestern.
Speaker 4: North Dakota was it North Dakota State? Oh that's right, that's right. Nail bider. Tweeze went out. Tweeze went out on in the President's suite. By the way, Ted Carter left, he's now going to Ohio State. He was the president that Nebraska bought in decorated background and military background like a a motherfucker you that the vibe was high at Nebraska. I mean he was part of bringing in Matt Rule coach spot. You know, I don't know right now, Like that was something over the weekend that I was seeing. I'm trying to Yeah, that's new news. Ted Carter left and he's going to Ohio State. I don't know if it's to be president, oh I'll state landed a good one from everything I've heard about. Uh, Ted Carter like he's he's that dude. So that's that's actually a low key big loss for Nebraska. That's a big loss going into the year with Nebraska. It seemed like he was out of nowhere because we extended him past twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 6: You're right here drinking the rule aid though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel great about where Nebraska's at. Not great in a way that like I'm calling that we're gonna fucking take the big tim By air lane and see, I will praise.
Speaker 1: I will shout from the mountain top all year long with that.
Speaker 4: You guys know, I'm not going to waiver when it comes to my pride and fandom of the boys in the red and scarlet?
Speaker 1: What is that scarlet?
Speaker 5: The red scarlet is red scarlet.
Speaker 4: Scarlet, the scarlet, red and white.
Speaker 5: I thought we were red and.
Speaker 1: White bleep that we gotta edit that part out either way.
Speaker 4: Either way, I am, I'm horny for some Husker football. The the Cobs are husted for this for this Thursday against Minnesota.
Speaker 5: Should we go through and uh we do a little prediction for Nebraska schedule and see where we fall.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I think the time is right. Yeah, not now, when you know what I mean. The over under on Nebraska on the sports the sport books is what six and a half?
Speaker 1: The over under six and a half?
Speaker 6: I think I think it's six and a half. But six is a bowl game.
Speaker 1: Six is a bowl game. But you guys, half, we're talking at least seven games.
Speaker 8: You guys are the the like one of two only Power five teams that have not made a bowl game in the past like ten years, fifteen years.
Speaker 1: I think that changes this year.
Speaker 4: As a matter of fact, I think I'll go as far as like I think I'm gonna put it a grand on the over, thousand dollars on the.
Speaker 5: Over, and you'll got Thursday Night Lights this.
Speaker 4: Week, Thursday Night Lights, Thursday Night Lights from week zero to Thursday unbeaten in week zero, however, we get to essentially kick off the the college football landscape for real, like some of them, you know, preseason games happened over the weekend. But all right, we got the Nebraska schedule pulled up for US Nebraska versus Minnesota. Okay, over, you're we're going over six and a half Nebraska Minnesota. I think we start off with a win. And I'm only smiling. I'm only smiling because I know it's like I here he goes will again. But I think we start off the season strong. I've been watching that little documentary series, that little docu series that Nebraska has been putting out, and it does. It fires me up. I know we got cats that aren't afraid to work, and that's what you need. And you got coach Rule preaching the good message. Like I think you wanna, you wanna start rewriting the chapters of Nebraska, and I think it starts this Thursday against Minnesota.
Speaker 8: So a win against Minnesota, you are a seven, seven and a half point underdog.
Speaker 4: That's so yeah, that's okay. We're always the underdog, like until we win games, we need to be the underdog. By the way, if you wanna the spread at seven and a half, take plus seven and a half spoiler alert for about the bus take those points. Nebraska Colorado. I think Nebraska beats Colorado at Colorado. I think the stadium is gonna be filled with red. I think Colorado's over under on the ears, like what three and a half games, not a lot of promise. I believe in Dion. I believe in coach Sanders. I think he's gonna get that program heading in the right direction. There's been a lot of change just in his first year with the roster and everything else. I just don't think they'll quite be ready yet, and they're definitely not gonna be ready for the big red machine coming into Colorado.
Speaker 1: Week three against Northern Illinois.
Speaker 4: That's a win. That's our first home game, the excitement night game. That's the first that's the first home game after starting off two and oh with the rule as field to the tip top. That's a win against Northern Illinois. Then you got Louisiana Tech, and that's gonna be one of those games where you're three and oh and you're sitting there in the meetings the night before a game and telling these boys respect the fucking game, don't sleep on these teams. We're not good enough. We're not gonna be good enough this year to show up and win. You gotta respect the game because if not, they'll be celebrating on your fucking field.
Speaker 1: We'll be four and oh going into the bust And Bowl.
Speaker 4: Here's why I'll go ahead and say we will drop a game because I can't be naiven think we're gonna go undefeated this year. A part of me does think we got a shot. However, I'm gonna say we drop a game to Michigan. I do think it'll be a tough fuck game. I think it's a game where fans are gonna be proud of the team that is forming in that stadium, a memorial stadium, to where it's like, hey, we might have lost this game and we might not win them all this year, but we're fucking trending in the right direction. That's what I believe with the state of Nebraska this year. So we're gonna be four and oh after Michigan.
Speaker 5: Will that be the first game that Hardball comes back from suspension or.
Speaker 1: Now he actually gets to come back in week four?
Speaker 4: Now, I think it went from a four game suspension to now three game Yeah, and listen, Michigan's gonna be a good football team. That's gonna be one of the horses we need going into maybe the college football Playoff for the Big Ten, it's gonna be them. I think Penn State's gonna be really fucking tough this year. I think Ohio State's gonna be really good this year. Big Ten is gonna have some tough football. Now moving on to Nebraska, Illinois at Illinois got some boys. I'm gonna say, we lose two in a row, you guys want some fucking realism out of the boy this year. You guys want some hey reel it in there you go. I think Illinois is a sleeper team, like a dark horse there. They build their team off run game and defense, so you build the trenches. They got Bilma. I like Bilma. I think he knows how to build programs and I think he's he's trending in the.
Speaker 1: Right direction with Illinois. I think Illinois.
Speaker 4: We might drop a second game at Illinois and it's gonna suck. It's gonna hurt, like it is going to hurt, especially when you start off four to zero and lose a tight game to Michigan at home. You still got like we might be ranked at that point going into Illinois, and we could fucking lose again to Illinois to where it's like, Okay, reset expectations, Northwestern, put your perche mass on and dry hump those boys.
Speaker 1: We're taking that one for all they got.
Speaker 4: You go into Purdue at Nebraska, We're gonna be Purdue. So right there, what are we? Six and two? Six and two at Michigan State. Michigan State could be a tough team by then, who knows I'm going to say. I'm gonna say we beat Michigan State. That's what I'm kind of going back and forth because I look at the rest of the schedule. Well, people got to understand when we're talking about drinking the rule aid and look at this promising. We got a promising, We got a schedule we can win. We gotta winnable schedule. We gotta win the first two All that matters this week first two games. Obviously, you can't see past what you got in front of you, what you got in front of your faces. But those first two weeks matter the fucking most because we start off four and oh, like we're gonna beat Michigan State, Maryland at Nebraska, Maryland sucks. Nebraska's gonna win that one. Nebraska Wisconsin. I'll go ahead, I'll go ahead, lay this sword down on that one. Wisconsin is a tough team. They've always haunted my nightmares. There's no leg for me to stand on when talking ill of Wisconsin. Uh, nothing but respect for that program and the billion yards they've rushed on us in the years past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 9: That's always tough, tough, tough to relive.
Speaker 4: Iowa Nebraska, the battle for the border. I think we finally get up on Iowa. And when I say finally get up, we beat their ass.
Speaker 1: Last year. We beat them.
Speaker 4: We were a whip dog going into the end of the year, nothing to play for, and we still turn around and whooped this team. And we're going to control the border again for two games in a row, two years in a row. George Kittle and the boys are gonna have to bend the knee to Willie c and the Huskers that we just went what.
Speaker 1: Eight and three? That's not out of the question?
Speaker 4: Is that out of the question? And where where do you guys think I could be wrong on that schedule?
Speaker 6: I mean, it depends where Michigan State is.
Speaker 8: But also the fact that you guys are seven and a half point underdogs Thursday did worry something.
Speaker 6: But Jeff Simms, your quarterback is a dog.
Speaker 1: I've heard good things about him.
Speaker 8: He is an athlete, he's a bit. He's transferred from Georgia Tech. He's an athlete, he's a cat. You want to get off the bus first, for sure.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: You know, if I think I'm wrong anywhere, you look at you look at this week against Minnesota and you look at Michigan State. Those are gonna be dogfights, right like. But that's that's the beauty of the game. And that's why I'm still gonna swing the sword for the boys in red and white.
Speaker 9: When I said red and scarlet, yeah, oh shit, yeah, Colorado's gonna get Colorado's gonna.
Speaker 1: Get drug a couple weeks in a row. Yeah.
Speaker 4: He Garrett was just saying, uh, Colorado starts off with TCU, and TCU is a jug or not.
Speaker 1: But I do.
Speaker 4: I think the battle on the Big ten this year is gonna come down in the Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State.
Speaker 1: Penn State's got a good squad and.
Speaker 4: You cannot sleep on them athletes. They got at Ohio State. I mean Marvin Harrison junior. Everything has come out of him is like he's like the best wide receiver since what Calvin Johnson.
Speaker 6: The biggest question is gonna be in the O High States quarterback.
Speaker 1: Throw it fucking deep.
Speaker 6: Just throw it up to Marvin.
Speaker 8: I mean, you got you got Marvin, you got a Mecha Buca, Julian Fleming, and probably some other freshman that's a dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things too, Like I don't know how the others are, but Marvin Harrison being as fast as he is, it's kind of like that Deshaun Jackson's like when we be on washing and throw it in practicing and they're throwing deep to DeShawn, It's like you almost underthrow them. It's like you can't throw it far enough, Like they're gonna go get the motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Just bombs over bag dad, dude, throw it up and pray.
Speaker 4: Yeah, uh but that'll be it'll it'll be a fun year. I'm stoked at football is back. Like you can just feel the excitement college football, Like it's like pro football, the NFL, Fantasy football.
Speaker 1: Everybody's like getting dialed.
Speaker 4: In for you know, their picks and it feels more transactional.
Speaker 1: In the NFL, everybody's excited, everybody loves the NFL.
Speaker 4: But in college you just feel the purity of the game a lot more like just that spirit that everybody has fighting for their squads.
Speaker 1: It's Tennessee gonna be a player again this year.
Speaker 5: I fucking hope.
Speaker 1: So, man, do you think so?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, absolutely. I mean we hypel is the best coach we've had in a decades, So I'm I'm really excited to see the squad. We got Virginia in Nashville this week home opener. Shout out Chris Long, He's my enemy for sixty minutes on Saturday. But I think, uh, I think we're gonna come out and beat the.
Speaker 1: Ship out of them. So they're gonna be here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in Nashville at Nissan Stage.
Speaker 1: I'm saying green light pod.
Speaker 5: Chris, Oh yeah yeah. Doctor Fax hit me up. It's like we need to all link up, and I was like you, I'm putting it on the left.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I think Tennessee it's gotta be It's gotta be fun to be a Tennessee vall right now, just because it's you just got the feeling of being back, you know what I.
Speaker 5: Mean a few years where it was in a way almost embarrassing to be a Tennessee fan.
Speaker 1: It just wasn't fun.
Speaker 5: It was it was a job more than than a vacation. And we're starting to feel good about it. I think the East is still going to be pretty tough. Georgie is always going to be good. But if we can sneak one past Georgia, I think we have a really positive season in our future.
Speaker 1: So we'll see.
Speaker 5: But did you say who you got winning the Big Ten?
Speaker 1: I hate to comment on that because I went to Nebraska.
Speaker 5: Let's let's take Nebraska out of it. Anyone else, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I think it'll be uh, I think it'll be Ohio, Stander, Penn State.
Speaker 1: And I know that's a shot.
Speaker 4: It's like, you hate to say that because you know, the boys gonna feel like that's just a shot at Michigan.
Speaker 1: It's not a shot at Michigan.
Speaker 4: I just think that they've tasted, they've tasted the last couple of years, and they just they're just not that ball club as far as that e Arcelotta level. That's a wild again, that's wild to say. I need a temper that back like they're a great football team.
Speaker 1: They're just not. I don't.
Speaker 4: I think Ohio State and Penn State are going to be the teams to beat in the Big Ten this year.
Speaker 8: When we were there to that Michigan golf trip, they they seemed like they had some ship to them, Like they should.
Speaker 4: They They've been to the Collgetball Playoff the last two years. They should have a lot of excitement. But what I'm saying is like they are, they're feeling that, they're feeling that we're we're superior to Ohio State. And I think they've gotten a couple of games on them, and here's where I think it gets. It gets leveled out. And also, I think people aren't talking about Penn State. I think people are talking about Penn State, but not in such a way that they're willing to say that Michigan and Ohio State are below them, I guess, and I think Michigan Penn State will be good.
Speaker 3: I think Michigan's in that situation of anything that goes wrong is going to weigh more because of the two previous years. Because it's almost now, they're at the point where it is expected. So if you do have a shitty game against you know, Nebraska, Nebraska or I don't know what their schedule looks like, but they're every play is gonna feel more intense. Yeah, just they're in that situation now that sucks for them, but I think they're good enough. But it will come down to just composure and whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, well said, have you heard of what he's just been like? I just don't know if they're that clumb Have you heard what Harball's doing the first four games for coaches? Who's gonna be the interim I don't quote me on this, but I think I heard that for the first game, whoever it is is going to coach the first half, and then someone else is going to coach the second half, and then for the second game, it's gonna be the same thing, but two different people.
Speaker 2: That sounds chaotic.
Speaker 1: It does sound chaotic, but.
Speaker 4: It could be a play too to get some of these coaches who might be in situations for a better job. He's given them exposure, right whether or not however the operation flows, because maybe the operation will be the same, but it just a different face in that title, so that way they can use it or getting a better job. That's just me trying to play like, yeah, why would they do that? That could be like the positive spin on, Hey, let's get some of these guys more exposure, because anytime my head coach is like stepping down, they want that guy who should be a head coach next or somewhere else they try and throw so like you know, it's like when Raves goes down in the assistant head coaches like Aukerman and all you know runs the show or is the face that stands there. That would be my guess. Outside of that's an awful that's a wild thing to do. But I don't think they'll like the game plan won't change. Game plan wise, it won't change. I think the same people are still going to be calling the plays. It's just given the exposure to those guys who could be put themselves in a spot to elevate the next offseason, which is honestly, that is cool.
Speaker 2: Do you have any predictions for the SEC?
Speaker 1: Prediction for the SEC can you bring up so M Vanderbilt at the top one and o s at one and oh, you know, out of the East. Out of the East, it's gonna be out of Georgia and Tennessee.
Speaker 4: There's two on each side. Yeah, the the SEC East is gonna be Georgia and Tennessee. And I think I don't want to give him this, but I think South Carolina could be on the outside looking in in a couple of situations throughout the season, like this is a pivotal game for the season. I think South Carolina can be in those spots.
Speaker 5: They got a big home opener this weekend versus North Carolina. Not saying that North Carolina is going to be some like tough juggernaut, but that's a huge rivalry.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, I was gonna say, yeah, and they're a high powered offense. It's gonna make a rain with the Heisman candidate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and what's the same juice juice?
Speaker 4: Well, he's nasty, he is nasty. He's cool too, rattlers last year. You just hope that I don't know, you do get a good vibe from that staff and when we were out there at South Carolina. Uh so, I'm kind of kind of got that bias or rooting for him. But the SEC West, I think it is. I mean, it's it's clearly out of l s.
Speaker 1: U and Bama.
Speaker 4: I don't think anybody really has an outside chance of competing with those two.
Speaker 1: At all.
Speaker 4: And I don't know the schedules of Bama and l s U right now, but do they play the big dogs of.
Speaker 1: The East during the season.
Speaker 4: That would be the only way that they get in any type of dilemmas if they lose those tough games. But it's not gonna be because of who's in, who's on who's in their division. I think, yeah, l s you will be tough, and I do. I think who comes out of it is gonna be uh yeah, yeah, LSU and Georgia's who I'll say is in the championship. LSU, Georgia, I know, But again LSU, Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 1: SEC is a fucking toss up, man. You got some dogs in there. Hey, listen.
Speaker 3: LSU made it to the SEC Championship with three losses last year, and one of those being to Tennessee by like a hundred. So think about that, like, you can have three losses on the West or East.
Speaker 2: And maybe get in if you beat just the other.
Speaker 1: Person at the right time.
Speaker 4: You see, Yeah, at the right time of the year, because that's where a lot of that SEC bias comes in too.
Speaker 3: With making it in the College who will playoff. Yeah, I'm just to start projecting. Yeah, it's okay. We got weeks for that. I know, I know we got weeks for that. So I yeah, I guess I think it'll be out of LSU and Georgia. You think it'll be two and two, two Big ten teams, two SEC teams in the playoff though, because.
Speaker 4: I think the USC USC has a chance to cut to be that team in the pack. So if they don't drop any games that they shouldn't drop.
Speaker 1: I know they do.
Speaker 4: I know they always choke, but it's still it's still set up for them to get in there. They have the easiest path out of all these conferences and teams, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So if they make it, it's two SEC teams one Big ten team in USC.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, I don't know. I think again, it all depends on where their records are.
Speaker 3: It's the last year of four and the next year goes to twelve. Fuck, that's me sick, because.
Speaker 4: I think you're gonna get it was kind of similar with the Big Ten last year. You're gonna get a one loss, two loss two Big Ten teams over a three loss out side the team to get in.
Speaker 1: Before they come over to that conference.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So I mean I feel like USC is gonna be trying to.
Speaker 4: Hey, yeah, you can't sleep on like you can't sleep on the Big twelve. We're really sleeping on the Big twelve right now.
Speaker 6: But I mean, you had you had TCU last year.
Speaker 8: But they we saw, we all saw what happened in the National Championship.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But man if if Texas puts it together, like they're a team who can I mean they got Quinn who can roll. Yeah, they're a team who can roll.
Speaker 6: If Quen you wers arch Manning.
Speaker 4: Yeah you got you got a lot happening with Texas to where they're you know, they're probably getting bigger as far as physically like to compete with those Juggernauts in the SEC.
Speaker 1: It'll be it'll be fun. Man See.
Speaker 4: I think Texas will come out of the Big twelve. USC in the Pac twelve.
Speaker 6: Morgan does have bo Nicks.
Speaker 4: It's like six Nebraska's gonna come out of the Big ten and Georgia is gonna come out of the SEC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know one of my you know what it is, I haven't done enough.
Speaker 4: I haven't got into it enough with the SEC because honestly, I want to say Tennessee, like that's who I would want to.
Speaker 1: Tennessee.
Speaker 5: But Zuoka Joe, baby, do not sleep on the Zuoka Joe. He's dolled in. He's gotten a lot better over the last three years, a lot better.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be hard to beat Georgia.
Speaker 5: That's why I'm that. And we have to go to Tuscal loose this year and play Alabama, which is gonna be a really tough road game.
Speaker 4: USC Texas, Nebraska, Georgia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because we played at LSU last year. So uh yeah, do what I'm doing an AD or?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can hit an AD. Let's get into an ad. Read boys, can you feel the weather breaking just a little bit? Last week it was ninety eight degrees right now, we're sitting at a cool eighty degrees. It's almost that time of year. Football seasons right around the corner. Huskers Minnesota. This Thursday, tune in, Big Red is going to mop the floor with the Gophers, and Paramount Plus is once again your home to this to stream the NFL.
Speaker 1: I surprise you that again. God knows.
Speaker 4: They will immediately text Jack and say, we want to focus on the NFL. Let's sit it ad. We interrupt this episode to bring you Paramount Plus. Paramount Plus is once again. You're home to stream the NFL on CBS all season long. Your Paramount Plus account gives you an all access pass twenty four to seven to NFL content all week long with CBS Sports, HQ, Fantasy Football Today, NFL Slime Time, and much more. Stream Paramount Plus on any device at home or on the go and follow the road to Las Vegas as Josh Allen and all the big all the big swingers in the in the AFC try to take down the King, Patrick Mahomes and the defending Kansas City Chiefs, which they will. We'll watch all your local games live every Sunday, starting at just two dollars and fifty cents per month for twelve months. Visit paramount plus dot com slash NFL to start your free trial today. The offer ends on September twentieth, so get your annual plan today. Terms and conditions to apply. Stream the NFL on CBS live on Paramount Plus. Let's get into our shout out, no free shout out. Let's get this thing roll because I didn't even know I haven't even let let the people know.
Speaker 1: Like Josh McDaniels. He said, out with the.
Speaker 4: Boys, the head coach for the Silver and Black, the Las Vegas Raiders. We had a really fun interview, a good thirty thirty five minute interview, sit down with him. An awesome story about Coach Rabel him back in the day when he was kind of running being like a ga in that ga spot running cards, and how Vrabel would handle himself at practice.
Speaker 1: But really cool interview.
Speaker 4: I think Raider fans are really gonna like hearingim from because he definitely has this this persona out there that we'll get into. But before we do, do some shout out. No free shoutout, Mitch if you want to, if you don't mind, brother kick us off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll start off.
Speaker 8: My shout out no free shout out this week stems from last week we went to the Barstool Awards. Everybody had to be dressed to the nines. So where my shout out comes in is when we were walking to the venue where it was at and you hear that dress shoe like click, like you guys are just walking and you hear like you hear like you're wearing different shots and I wearing sneakers, like you can hear your shoes. Yeah, that sound when you're just walking with your boys and like just dressed up to the tent, like to the nines and just feeling good, looking good, like we were just walking like this is like kind of dope, like we look we look good, we feel good, and we're about to go play good. So it's like so that my shout out is wearing dress sues and that sound that they make when you're with your boys.
Speaker 1: Do you have a photo yourself from that night?
Speaker 6: I do not.
Speaker 1: Damn. I would love for you to throw that in there because it's I have.
Speaker 8: I were the same outfit to a wedding, So I could like throw that in there with your clip.
Speaker 6: All right, I'm ill. Yeah, I got you.
Speaker 4: When you're dressed to the nines and he's got the he's just got a collar shirt on. I feel what you're saying, though, that is a it is a vibe you almost don't know how to You almost don't know how to carry yourself. You're like, yo, lokey, like we're a beast right now, but you can't act like a beast, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Boys? Clean up nice?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Jack, what do you got? Oh? What did I do?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Uh?
Speaker 5: Mine is a pretty simple one in Live My shadow, No free shadout goes to when you are low on gas, you roll up to the gas station, put the card in and you know, like the three premeditated clicks you do on the gas nozzle trying to get the gas to come out, and then it finally clicks and you feel that way to the gas coming on. Is anyone like you knowing dark? It's it's that that weight poll It's like, I we're finally fucking here and you feel it just fucking streamlining into the tank. You run in the store, you grab yourself a water or something. You you chill on your phone, whatever. But yeah, it's that subtle little weight that you feel on the handle. Just grab You're like, all right, no more work, We're just letting it do its thing. So that's my shout out this week.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay man.
Speaker 3: It could also be like horrible feeling because of how much money's about to go in just like click like no, but my shout out and if you shout out is gonna go to has to do with this time of year. Football is back, but it's when you open your said app where you check your scores and all that stuff, and you hit score and you have your favorite teams, and then when you see your college and NFL team finally on the same screen together, it's just that feeling of holy shit, football's back, Like there's that low go again for the next however many weeks it is eighteen weeks, six months. Man, it's an incredible feeling, like, yeah, Alabama plays sometsu sorry to the Blue Raiders, but I saw that a pop up and it just gives you juice. Hopefully this week's the fastest week of all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude.
Speaker 4: It is like and then you know your TV asks you like, who are your favorite teams that you want to gear up for you? Like, I thought I picked you guys already, but I'm excited to do this again. But it had like the best teams on it, and then they didn't have like Nebraska on there, and I'm thinking, all right, yeah, just pick the conference Big ten. Hell yeah, my shout out, no free shot. It is gonna go to there's the conversation we have right before the Podjack. It's like when you know that the external world and Monday is trying to do everything it can to kill your vibe and hurt your attitude and give you a bad start to the week. Just the second you lapped, you lapse and give in and fucking say something like all these motherfuckers, that type of like clench. But in that moment, you also grab yourself and you know, Yo, it's Monday, and I woke up with some good juice, some good energy, and nobody's gonna bring my shit down. And you you fortify mentally and you push through knowing that you're gonna crush the fucking week no.
Speaker 1: Matter no matter what roadblock comes your way.
Speaker 4: Now, Tuesday hasn't happened yet, neither has Wednesday, but Monday you gotta set the tone. And when you defeat the enemy on Monday, you can defeat the enemy the rest of the week. And that's my shot, I know.
Speaker 5: For your shout out, Hell yeah, almost as good as the gas on.
Speaker 4: The flow of gas. Hey, what that you gave me a pet peeve. Let's get into our pet peeves. I'll go ahead and kick off the pet peeve of the week. My pet peeve for the week is when you do get that gas flowing and you set it on that little you set it on that little click or whatever it is, and you walk away, and right when you're about to get in your vehicle, and minds you, your boy's in a nice Chevy Selverado.
Speaker 1: Now I'm climbing up in that truck.
Speaker 4: And you just hear click, like it just loses it, and you're thinking, what the fuck is going on? And then you set it on the lower one. It's like, Okay, I'll take a little bit more time. Yeah, I'll scrow the apps a little bit more. Maybe I'll find something better I want to listen to and just vibe or say, maybe I'll call that friend that I need to call back right now. And so you got to set it on the lower one. But then you start hearing it click again. And sometimes I think to myself, this the gas pumps. It used to have this problem, and for whatever reason, they're having them now. But my pet peeve, back to the pet peeve of the week, is when you set that thing up.
Speaker 1: What do you call that? God damn it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you set that click and it locks and it's just flowing, and you walk away and right as you're about to get in your truck, and you just hear that click, and you got to stop ass cracks sitting on the outside part of your seat, and you gotta slide back off just to turn around and go set that thing back up again, and you hold it just to see what's going on, and then it clicks in your hand. You're thinking, all right now, I gotta set this thing at the low end and write it out. But anyway, that's my pet peep.
Speaker 5: That's love that.
Speaker 1: Who wants to go next? Gee, Mitch Jack?
Speaker 4: Anybody keep this vibe going?
Speaker 1: Biba complaining.
Speaker 3: My pet peeve of the week is it's something simple and it's super easy to get around. But when someone sends you a text message of an address and it's not hyperlinked with the line underneath it, what are we doing? I don't know why it happens that way. I don't know if it's from you know, like an Android to iPhone thing. I don't know why it happens. But why is it happening? Like, we gotta figure that out. Every time you send an address, it just should have the link to it.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, I agree, I agree. That's then you got a copy paste. Come on, yeah, it's a good pet beef.
Speaker 2: I got a lot of shit going on.
Speaker 1: Ta me a little bit of time your own chet box delete the rest. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's my pet beef.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Apple.
Speaker 5: I also feel like this is something parents do, but when someone sends you a screenshot of an address, it's like, hey, it is actually easier to just link this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jack's like, goddamn it, Dad.
Speaker 5: I'll get next. My pet peeve of the week is people who are shitty to service workers, specifically like restaurant employees. People who think they're above like the law and just because they're paying for like a twenty dollars entre at a fucking Chili's that they can yell at some poorness a woman who's just like trying to make enough money to send your kid to daycare. It's like, be better, Like it's not like the end of the world if someone like forgets your ranch or they mess up in order, and there maybe is a time or two in your life when serving this is so bad that it warrants some kind of response. And I get that, but I feel like, at all costs, it is like always better to just be understanding and like not like be like what are they going through? Maybe they're having a bad day, maybe some's going on in their world, but like they're doing their best. And the service industry, if you've ever been a bartender or a server or a cook, it is a brutal industry to work in. So it like fucking grinds my gears when people take the smallest things in a restaurant and take that as an opportunity to go in on some poor whatever man, woman, child, And I just fucking hate that. It's an immediate like red flag to me where I'm like, Okay, you clearly are not the person I thought you were, and it immediately lowers my standards for them, like almost forever. So if you're ever eating out with me and you're shitty to a service worker, I'm gonna think badly of you, probably for the rest to my life. But yeah, let's just treat our service workers better. What happened over the weekend, and that that was just in my phone, It actually happened to something that felt that happened this summer. And I'm not gonna mention the guy because one of my really good friends, but he was kind of drunk and unfortunately the waitress it took thirty minutes to get our drinks at first, and then it took another like fifteen to get a server back to take our order, and then he like went off on her, and like one of our friends who's not very vocal snapped on him and I was like, that's what I'm talking about, and then it kind of was all resolved. The lady she hopped to it. Our food came out super fast. So yeah, this doesn't something that just happened this weekend, but it's something that I will stand by very heavily. We have to treat our service workers better. They don't. They're not paid like incredibly well, and at the end of the day, it's like, dude, it's you know, just another meal. We're gonna get it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean that's a good one. That's a good one. I'm glad like you were able to vocalize that. I felt like it's something that's been in the basement for a minute now.
Speaker 1: It was. Yeah.
Speaker 8: My pet peeve of the week is it's kind of it comes down to situational awareness. Essentially, if you walk into the bathroom and it's wide open, like nobody's at the jurnals, nobody's in the stall, and you decide to go into the stall to pee, and then somebody else comes in behind you and like they have to poop, but you're in there peeing in the stall when the urinals are wide open, Like what are you doing? The stall unless the bathroom is packed, is meant for pooping and when So when I like it happened, like a week or two ago, I walked.
Speaker 4: All the stalls were taken, but none of the yurnals.
Speaker 8: Most of the time, it's just like two jeurnals and a stall. So like it's you walk in, somebody's in the stall, there's nobody in the urnals and you can just hear them peeing, and it's like, bro, I have to poop, Like use the urinal if you just got a pee, Like just have that awareness that like, hey, somebody might have to might have to come in and poop after me or poop while like I mean in here, so like use the urinal it like, and you're just sitting there waiting and like somebody somebody will walk in and be like, oh, like I'm like not waiting for this because some assholes in here peeing when it should be used for pooping.
Speaker 6: My pet peeve is when people pee installs. People pee installs when there's open urinals.
Speaker 4: Listen, I was trying to navigate through that a little bit. But I'll get on board with you. If you're not going.
Speaker 1: Into the stall to sit and pee, you shouldn't be in there, right.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying he's saying that they're standing, somebody sits in p's like, you know, there's at least you're sitting in peeing.
Speaker 6: Right at least it's kind of looks like you're pooping.
Speaker 4: Right, But if you're it's like, who is anybody to say that? Because anytime you poop, you're probably pooping MP.
Speaker 6: Yeah. But like if you're just strictly going into the jurinal or to.
Speaker 1: Be in the in the in a stall that grind your gears. Stop doing that.
Speaker 4: If everybody out there, do not fucking do that, especially when you know Mitch is in the building.
Speaker 6: Because I got it, like, you gotta go, you gotta go, you.
Speaker 1: Gotta take it down.
Speaker 6: So that's my pet peeve.
Speaker 1: I can I can get on board with that, brother.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So if you guys are watching right now, I'll go ahead and drop comments pet peeves.
Speaker 1: What else do we have here?
Speaker 4: Do we want to get into dude wipe, shittiest moment, teared talk, twisted question. Do we have a twisted question? We get into the interview, should we hit some twisted question in the in the in the theme, no, we gotta hit that was. What else are we gonna the twisted question? Here's what we'll do. We're gonna do the twisted question because the light in the theme, in the good vibes of college football being back, we do have a twisted question? Is brought to you by the twisted Kings of twisted tea. Perfect for pool parties, perfect for tailgates. Like listen at the end of the day. If you're not at the tailgates watch parties, you're hosting a party at your house and you don't have a fridge or cooler full of twisted teas, you're.
Speaker 1: Doing it wrong. You are doing it wrong this football season.
Speaker 4: If you don't have a twisted ta in your hand, grab a refreshing twist the tea. Today, they're essentially everywhere, But this twisted question comes to us. I want to say, Garrett was brainstorming this boy, and it's essentially would you rather go to the college football If would you rather your team go to the college football playoff four years in a row, or win one national championship. Now, are we saying, go to the national championship four years in a row and lose, or you lose, or you win one national title and you're let's just say, you don't sniff the top ten the other three years. All right, So would you rather go to the college Would you rather go to the national championship four years in a row and lose or win one national championship and not sniff the top ten the other three years?
Speaker 2: You mean to start?
Speaker 1: Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you mean to speak from experience? I'd rather take the one we got Crimson time. I'd rather take the one just because for that one year you can talk endless shit. You know, it's like your one time to kind of just be like, you can't say shit to me the other years.
Speaker 1: Like and you got it forever.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, yeah, you got it forever.
Speaker 3: But if you have the other, if you're going and losing the other years, you have like shut the fuck up. So I would pick one. What about as a player?
Speaker 4: As a player, one, Mitch, what about you?
Speaker 8: There is something kind of to be said about the consistency of making it back four years in a row, but then you always have that you guys choked or yeah, but like it's and to be like to keep that and like to wear that for like essentially.
Speaker 6: The rest of your life.
Speaker 8: It's something that's super super tough. But also if you win just one, they could say it was like a fluke. So like, I think I would have to go national championship four years because for four year consecutive years you were the second best team in the in the country. Yeah, second best sucks, but it's like maybe you win, maybe you lose one of those games by like a field goal, maybe you lose like some weird play. But to be able to go back to four games four years in a row, I think there's something to be said about it.
Speaker 1: You're on the you're on the boat with four years in a row.
Speaker 5: I think, so, yeah, Jack, this is the easiest answer ever. You win one national championship, who gives a fuck if you're second place four years in a row. Like just like what Mitchell's saying, You're you're just you're not even a good team at that point. You're just good at choking. You're like you're just Michigan that's all you are. You're making it there, but you're not. You're making it the game. No, but, but our original thing was college football playoff and Michigan is two more years away from being this exact example because they are making it two years in a row and then choking horrendously. So would you rather have one ring or have four years of stories of how you almost were a champion? It just seems so easy in my opinion. The only thing I can think of to argue for the four years is that if you're making it to the Natty every year, you are most likely beating all of your rivals, and that to me is something to stand on. But at the end of the day, if my rival has made it to the National Championship four years in a row and loss, I don't give a fuck. If you beat me, you lost too, Like we're all losers. There's only one winner at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a spin zone you always have to put yourself in, true, but.
Speaker 5: I still would want to have one ring in three average years, then to go to the College Football Championship four years and then be just like emotionally damaged goods for the rest of my life because you were that. Imagine being a senior like in the locker room getting the hype speech and be like we've been here three times already, Yeah we haven't done it, but.
Speaker 1: This is the year.
Speaker 5: And then you walk back in as a senior like, well we didn't do it again. And then you go to the NFL as a college kid and all the scouts are like, man, he's a great quarterback. He can do this and that, but he cannot close when the moment counts. So your draft stocks already drop it. When that Natty is a senior while they're three average years, is like, hey, they battled through, you know, grit and grind, they made it through. There win your freshman year, Like what if you that's true? This is where we get into like a hairy like.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, low key yeah.
Speaker 5: If you win as a freshman and then go average three years, you might as well just not even try for the pros. I guess I don't know, but I still stand on I would love to have one Natty because in twenty years, when like no one gives a fuck about you anymore, and it's like your grandson's the one, like throwing out twelve leg parlays on the college football Championship. You can still have that ring on your fist, or you can have four war stories about how you got a silver medal every year in your college career.
Speaker 1: You're wearing or you're wearing four conference championship rings on your hand.
Speaker 5: Crew, Yeah, that is that is true for you.
Speaker 4: Bring you you you pull very good points cause I low key was in the boat of the four years in a row. Oh but the way you just spoke right there almost, I mean, you might just want to win one because you are You're like you're cemented in history forever.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nat, However, in the moment.
Speaker 4: As a player, if you because look at the end of the day, if I say four years, like I haven't, I've never won the big champion. I've never won a big championship, never won state, never won you know, obviously, not a national championship, not a conference championship in Nebraska. In the NFL, we just want to you know, a handful of division titles, but nothing of substance in the playoffs. So I don't know what that sweet nectar tastes like. I know what it's like to be defeated, and it is like when you feel like you fall short of expectation, which ut only every other team feels that way at the end of the year. If you lose the big one, right, if you lose the super Bowl, you work so hard to get there, only to lose is probably the worst pain.
Speaker 1: That you can have, and you don't want to feel that.
Speaker 4: You'd rather just win once and then maybe, you know, maybe be average the other three years. But also think if you're a player and you're winning those three years, yeah, you do lose, and when you're talking on a high level of like being number two and choking, but those moments of beating your rivals every year, winning your conference championship every year, like being the standard year in and year out around the town, around the city, and the expectation obviously is so massive to where it is like all this choke job of a team just couldn't get over the humpings. Like the Bills in the early nineties of the NFL, it went to like three Super Bowls and lost them all, right, which they still had a documentary about it, so you would still probably get an untold story about that time. That generation of going four times and losing four Natties in a row. But in those moments with the boys, all four years of being at the top, just not quite getting there.
Speaker 5: I just feel like in that moment in year three and four, the people who support you the most are the people who are gonna be affected by it. Like you're beating your rivals is awesome. But if if you've been with this team and you're on year four and you've lost the Natty three years in a row, you're like, yeah, we're doing great, we're beating whoever, but we're we're gonna lose in the Natty, and it's like then you just you're left sad every year. And to me, it almost is like a Joe Burrow situation. Like I know he wasn't LSU, he came from OSHU, but he won that one Natty and is cemented as like now one of LSU's greatest ever. Yeah, I mean that one season, That's what I'm saying though, And like now he's like LSU royalty for one year. If he If you, let's.
Speaker 4: Say something, you can always like get with the boys and talk about like we fucking.
Speaker 5: We we put together a hard nosed football team.
Speaker 4: Man, if we just if we could have done something the other and it's like some one gives a fuck about that anymore.
Speaker 1: That stuff's forgotten. But we got that one.
Speaker 4: You're right, I think I gotta go one national title. You swayed me. You swayed me, and thank you for that. Thank you, thank you for that.
Speaker 8: What if like, like we said, you win it your freshman or sophomore year and then your junior senior season is just like, yeah, you had that taste.
Speaker 6: The big Oh.
Speaker 1: So what I was also going to say is so I had two answers.
Speaker 4: As a fan, I think I want to win it one time, no matter what, because you have the bragging rights, and then forever you can pull from that year. Right, It's like you get to pull from that one year in all of your spin zones that you have to create. But talking strictly as a player is where Jack swayed me, because I was kind of like, man, you go four years in a row. You're playing with arguably the best team in the nation, four years in a row as a college athlete, and you're part of arguably the best defense of that generation. I know, in my instance, like you're on the bigger and better things. But in that moment of having that one championship. And now to your point, if you do it and you don't really put a whole lot into the if you're not out there on the field pouring into that national championship, you're gonna be one of those guys trying to like hold that standard. And ultimately, no matter what you end up said, but at least you get to be a guy that goes out still going to the Natty every year because you are holding that standard. Man, You're right, Like, it's just every situation you could put, you put yourself in a different chair, and I feel like the answer could be the same in a lot of scenarios. Because if you win your freshman year and you're on the sideline throwing the towel, but you're a player, it's like, yeah, you get to claim the national title, but you're almost claiming it more as like with your boys that aren't on the team as a fan and talking about to people you don't know, versus when you're sitting in around the table with the guys and the players, you almost just shy away from being in the conversation because you know you didn't do it, You didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, interesting, Hey, this is a good little question. I got a little question with that. It might be too early for this answer, but would you rather hoist the old crystal football or.
Speaker 2: The new National Championship Trophy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, crystal Ball would be I.
Speaker 3: Think that one's just iconic, and that's why I think it might be too early with this one. Yeah, they just haven't gone when you think back at the coach or player lifting it up, all the cameras going off, and it reflecting off of it, Like some of those are the most badass, like memorable things.
Speaker 4: That's how you know how good BAM is because I'm just picturing save and hoisting the Crystal ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, LSU though too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 2: But I think that Crystal Ball trophy was is the one.
Speaker 1: Yeah what is it? There? You go?
Speaker 6: Gie?
Speaker 1: Yeah like that too? God? College football? Man? Sick college football? So back man?
Speaker 4: Oh shit, Like do we get into uh should we do our tier talk? Tier talk or shittiest moment? Let's do tier talk. We interrupt this episode to bring you the Pig with Pig Rye Whiskey. Our tiar Talk is brought to us by Whistle Pig the Best Rye Whiskey on the on the planet. Sitting up here are three bottles. Their most popular their age six year Rye whiskey, which is what they're most known for that flies off the shelves everywhere at your local retailer.
Speaker 1: Is their age six year great drink.
Speaker 4: Their most sought after is their ten year age whistle Pig rye whiskey. This is phenomenal. I think this tenure is my number two only to their age twelve year but a great bottle nonetheless. And then whistle Pig got a got a got an itch to make a bourbon, to get in the bourbon game. The one brand they wanted to do it with. There's a couple brands. You got KFC Radio, but also Busting with the Boys. They trusted Busting with the Boys to pick out their bourbon and put it in a bottle and slap their known credible historic logo on it and sell it when you go to any local retailer they're gonna have.
Speaker 1: As for the Busting with the Boys, whistle.
Speaker 4: Pig bourbon, you can get it at any retailer that sells whistle Pig whiskey, and it should be there and it should have a sticker on it.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to get into our tier talk.
Speaker 4: And we know how everybody gets the floor solo when it's their turn to talk. A way to do this could be like, hey, this is the talking stick. You gotta hold the bottle of whistle pig whiskey. Is there a name we can call it? Outside a talking stick, talking bottle? That's big as bighead thinking right there, Mitch. So when you're talking and you're holding the talking bottle, yeah, working title, then it's your time to talk. But let's get into our tier talk, our tear talk. This week is going to be best things, going back to school, best things, going back to school, high school, I'm thinking high school days, best things going back to school?
Speaker 5: In general? Is a high school?
Speaker 1: Is it college? High school? So we say high school, should say college.
Speaker 5: Is our demo though high schoolers, but everybody, nobody has.
Speaker 4: Everybody's got that nostalgia, right, I think you done?
Speaker 1: It was different? It was different.
Speaker 4: Whatever I mean in football is always like pretty straightforward when you're going into your first week of school in college.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but mine's like a bit different because you were probably at Nebraska all summer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: Either way back when you're explaining what, Yeah, you go back to school, back to school, whatever you want to do, it's your own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's your own.
Speaker 6: Ge.
Speaker 4: Whoever wants to start it off back there, because I ain't doing it, make sure make sure you hold that uh that whistle pig whiskey bottle, loud and proud.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 8: I haven't done any research, all right, My my tier three, going back to school is just getting back in that and getting back in.
Speaker 6: Like a solid routine. I guess you can.
Speaker 8: It can kind of go both high school or college, but like you you have that like I'm like a schedule person.
Speaker 6: Like you have that schedule.
Speaker 8: You know where you're supposed to be at what times, for how long, and what you're supposed to be doing after that, and like so on and so forth. So having having that schedule and that routine is is big for me. My tier two this is gonna be more college related. But when you go back and you move in to like your apartment or your dorm or wherever you're at with your roommates, and like the four of you were just or however many of you were just back together, it's like that camaraderie and the hype of like the first week and that first weekend out is just unmatched because you're just you're back with the boys, who knows how long it's been since you've seen them last, and you just get to like you're just back and it's like we're here to run this thing and do it again.
Speaker 6: And then my tier one.
Speaker 8: Kind of obvious once once you're back for school, football's back. And if you're playing football, that first Friday night game, Saturday game, that entire week, you were just laser focused in the meetings, in your workouts and your practice. You're just like, oh, this first team is fucked, Like I am so locked in right now you couldn't like nothing's going to take me off of this. And for us, our first game was a rivalry game. It was called Battle for the stag At and it's like, so you win a trophy every time we've beat we played live coming, we beat them like fifteen years in a row. So it's not much of a robberie game, uh subtle flex, but that first game, it's like, you know, it's hype. You know it's gonna be crazy. Everybody from the school is gonna be there, especially in high school Friday night first Friday night of the game, the stamps are going to be packed. You have that expectation of the year. Tier one football being back and playing in that first game.
Speaker 6: Brought to you by.
Speaker 1: Whisping Yeah Jack, make sure to hold it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was probably more important if I'm just holding it, I guess, But if you're going to share your tier talk, make sure you're holding it so that way they can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can get.
Speaker 4: Recap recap on a recap again, what was your three on you? I got lost in the I got lost in your eyes when you start talking Friday Friday football, because that was that's my Yeah.
Speaker 6: Three was getting in a room scene.
Speaker 8: Two was being back in like your apartment, are doing with your with the boys, and then one football.
Speaker 1: Those are good.
Speaker 5: My tier talk for back to school. The best things about going back to school, honorable mention, is going to be figuring out which of your boys are in your new classes. You show up on that first day, usually a half day, and you're like pretty excited to be there walking to a class. All of a sudden, you see one of your guys. You're like, Okay, it's about to go down this semester, this whole year or whatever may be. So that's always fun, especially because I hated school, so like the first week of school was like Okay, I don't know have to actually do much, but I get to enjoy being here and then you like give like depressed.
Speaker 1: You're like, fuck, I hate cool.
Speaker 5: Yer three, Uh, back to school fits. I love showing up off a new pair of sneakers or a new sweatshirt or maybe my senior year, we had a thing where we all got like children's backpacks basically like Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles. We all kind of had like our own little thing. It's kind of like a tradition at our high school. So like that was fun to kind of show up and show off you have like absolutely nothing in the backpack. You might have a football or like one pencil and like a crumpled up piece of paper, but it's all about the backpack. So yeah, just back to school fits in general. My Tier two is girls is seeing those girls who may be blossomed over the summer, or one that you remember from the fall or from September. And I said, with the spring and coming back and being like yeah, I mean time is really doing you a favor right now, Like you're looking good. Maybe we have Spanish together, maybe we have a class or two together, and that's nice. And my tier one obviously it's the boys. It's being back with all the fellas, but specifically in high school, it's like that first few weeks in lunch when because for us at Brentwood, there were four separate lunch periods that would be like thirty five minutes each, so you didn't know if you were in a specific lunch with certain people, and then you find out day one, like who's gonna be your lunch crew? So that's always nice to kind of like establish the order, the hierarchy, like are you gonna be getting dogged at lunch this year? Are you gonna be the dog? So I always love being back with the fellas, back at lunch, you know, kind of stirring up some trouble.
Speaker 1: So that that is that's my tiar talk.
Speaker 3: The lunch one's a good one. At lunch one is nice. I didn't think about that. My tier talk for going back to school. I think the honorable mention is gonna be the first year you're going back to school and you have your driver's license in high school, something about that, like you just feel it's probably like junior year for some people, maybe sophomore year. But when you can roll into the parking lot by yourself for the first time, I think that's a hype feeling.
Speaker 2: My Tier three is gonna be.
Speaker 3: You've spent the whole summer and even the year prior figuring out who your new roommates are gonna be, and when you get moved in, like Mitchell saying, that first week is unmatched with back with like your roommates, it's just it's unmatched.
Speaker 2: Tier two.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna agree on the seeing who's in your class, like seeing your dogs, then also seeing like what girls you have in your class, and knowing if you got like a legit chill teacher or not. You know, no matter what greade it is, high school or college, like you know day one if it's going to be hell or not. So that's tier two. Tier one.
Speaker 2: Is that first hangover in college.
Speaker 3: I think, kind of tying it in with three, but going out you feel invincible and then you wake up and you're probably going right back at it on that Saturday or whatever it is. So I think that that first one is that first party. It's yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: It's my word. That's my word. We did forget to do words, Taylor, You want to pass that one up? Boys? Those were those are good tier talks, yep, my tier talk. M hm. Honorable mention is going to be.
Speaker 4: Getting the teachers you want, whether it's the spring before or leading up to and you're trying to select those teachers, and and the vets ahead of you know, they've they've let you in on some background like hey, so and so is tough, so and so's easy, so and so it's cool, Like you want to be in those classes where you might get a little bit more leeway, you know what I mean? Or like to Garrett's point, how tight is it gonna be in here? Like are we going to be surviving? That's gonna be my honorable mention. I really wanted to say that lunch table one because that lunch table one is all time. My tier three is going to be how you were saying when you get your license in that first time going back, My tier three is gonna be I don't know how you guys did it, but we got to. You know, you get to select your parking spot like first come, first serve type of mentality so when you're older, the seniors going into senior year would camp at the school for that first day you could sign up because you're trying to get that first row. So it was like a cool thing in North County that would take place and happen. I just remember that year, like you have your license, you're getting your chuck. He just got this gto and he would bang fucking like Mike Jones. And those were just the days, Manu. But getting your parking spot when you have your license and everything else and preparing the summer, like preparing how you're gonna go about it with the boys.
Speaker 1: Myke.
Speaker 4: Tier two is gonna be getting in the classrooms with your with your boys, like with your friends, Like you just know it's gonna be up all all semester.
Speaker 1: And if you get in those classes.
Speaker 4: The best is when you get in those classes and again like fourth period, knowing that fourth period is gonna go into lunch, so you're running from your class with your boys to the lunch room.
Speaker 1: You just know, like yeah running, bro, Yeah we were run.
Speaker 4: But get getting getting in classes with your boys, and my Tier one, there's nothing like Friday night lights, Dude.
Speaker 1: The first week of Friday Night Lights.
Speaker 4: You're like, my hands are sweating thinking about it, like the upper classman.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: That's whether it's pressure, attention, or like, hey, you know, I can't wait you you're just getting out there for the first time, or when you're being a scene and you're telling a young guy, you're trying to tell the guys like this is fucking it.
Speaker 1: This is the year. We're gonna remember this forever.
Speaker 4: Fresh off watching Friday Night Lights or something like that.
Speaker 6: Might have a girl wearing your jersey down the hall, might.
Speaker 4: Have a girl wearing your jersey, your letterman's jacket, just all of it. The spirit of Friday Night Lights in the air. The band is like playing in my head right now, and you just feel like we're about to just transition into some high school football scene at any moment from busting with the boys. But it's Friday Night Lights. That's my tier one. And that concludes my whistle, big whiskey, your talk.
Speaker 1: Fuck, we bow our heads and pray to the football gods.
Speaker 4: Now, all right, we're gonna kick off to the We're gonna kick off to the Josh McDaniel coach McDaniel's interview here surely This was a fun conversation. We got to sit down with him. You know, he's got the it's almost like he's angled as this uptight coach and everything else, the way he handles this business from being a Patriots head, being a Patriots guy and everything else and low Ki. I was nervous going into interview him because I just didn't know how it would be. I didn't know what kind of questions we could get, how deep we could get into questions, Because you want to ask about the Raiders, you want to ask about We got to ask about him becoming the Colt's head coach a few years ago and then backing out what he's learned since being the head coach of the bronco We got again. I mentioned the coach Frabel, the fun stories with coach Frabel. He talks very highly. For a moment, I really tried stopping him. He really talked highly about Max Crosby and how how well positioned their roster is going into the season because they are gonna win the AFC West.
Speaker 1: What else did we hit on with him?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you asked him what it's like cutting people?
Speaker 4: Yeah, cutting people? What it's like cutting people? How hard that is? Now, or how hard that is being a head coach, what it's like having Randy Moss's his cheat code.
Speaker 1: We got to get into some good Patriot stories.
Speaker 4: I got to ask him about like a movie scene, like how he motivates guys and shit like that. But I was nervous because I'm texting. I'm like texting with my boys who are on the team, and I'm like, hey, what are some things I can get in with Coach McDaniel's about to get the guard down? And they basically just said, man, I don't know, we had a shitty day at practice today, so it could be tough, and that just like kind of heightened the nerves. But man, he was awesome, Like he was cutting it up with the boys. He was telling stories like we had a lot of fun. I think you guys are going to enjoy this. But yeah, we got to get into we got to get into cutting guys and what that's like as a head coach cutting guys, which can lead into we can talk about our shittiest moment. In light of the preseason ending. It is Tuesday, Oh gotcha? It is Tuesday, which means this is the final day four cuts. So a lot of guys are getting released today. Today's like grim Reaper, right, Like, you either get called. You either get called ahead of time and you get brought in. And as we get into the shittiest moment, the shittiest moment getting cut is brought to us by Dude Wipes. Stop using toilet paper, drop the TP, and pick up Dude wipes. The wet extra large flushable wipe that clears instead of smears wiping wet. Wiping wet just cleans better than wiping dry. Get confidently clean with Dude wipes that gets all the crap out of the toilet and all the crap out of your colon and doesn't leave any paper behind. You can pick up due wipes on Amazon or Walmart, and Target shouldn't wide. So yeah, the shittiest moment of getting cut, it's like guys get cut in different ways. You either walk into the building and there's a fleet of these guys ready to just pick you off at any moment. I was texting with a buddy of mine the other day, which led me to that tweet, Like, imagine having to wait four days because they the Titans just concluded their third preseason game on Thursday, or Friday and I'm texting my Hey, so, how do you think it's gonna shake up?
Speaker 1: How do you feel It's like, oh, we'll find out on Tuesday.
Speaker 4: They gotta wait four days, and you got to practice those four days leading up to it. Imagine knowing that I'm on the bubble, I might get cut and you still got to practice. You know, the way the coach is treating you like I'm not making this team. I didn't really get a whole lot of burning the third preseason game and my boy was telling me they cut you now, guys coming off the practice field like they just grab you, like as you're coming off the practice field.
Speaker 1: So the shittiest moment of being cut mine was my rookie.
Speaker 4: Year, when it's like there was like a dark horse shot of making the Washington Redskins and you're literally up the entire like you just don't sleep well. You're trying to message assistant coaches that you feel like you had some kind of rapport with to be like, hey, what are you hearing? Like are they gonna keep five here? They're gonna where is it? Look like I'm stacking up? But you know, you just have no clue and you're so nervous, your anxiety is so high. And the next morning I woke up and there was an area code that called seven oh three I believe I think it was. And you get this area code and you're just like fuck man, cause you're just hoping nobody calls. It's like six six thirty in the morning. I'm texting my boys who are on the team, like, man, that just got called. So I'm thinking, maybe you're out of a maybe you're out of it because you haven't been called yet. Sure enough, a phone call seven o three area code comes across my phone and it's like, hey, good news and bad news. Good news is we want to bring you back on the practice squad. Bad news is we're gonna cut you and make sure you get your playbook, bring your iPad in and everything else because we kind of got to go through the process. You get in this van and you're just going over with the boys. You get cut, and then you go in and the grim Reapers are standing there like on the railing and they're like, hey, come back with me this way. They kind of take you through the ringer where you meet with the head coach, you meet with the position coach everybody else just to pack your bags and get cut.
Speaker 1: But dude, getting cut sucks, man, Like it sucks.
Speaker 4: It's almost like when you know you're a bubble guy too, and there's a lot of not expectation, but everybody's excited for you. Like it's like if you guys are my boys and you guys are in, like I'm sure it's like this with dobs and stuff, Like when he was ever trying to make a roster anybody else, it's like your boys are checking in, like hey, what are you hearing?
Speaker 1: Because you know you're on the bubble and everybody's rooting for you.
Speaker 4: So everybody back home when you're like, oh, I'm getting cut, you just feel like you're letting everybody down and like fuck man, like they all believe that could do it. I believe that could do it. And you don't get to play. You don't get to like you know, you don't get to go out on Sundays if you come back on practice squad. You don't play on the weekends, or you don't participate in traveling. Now you do, but back then you didn't get to and that was like the that was the shitty. That was one of the shittiest moments. So getting cut shit moment. It sucks. Get cut, Te's and piece of the boys going through today. It's you never know, you don't know what to tell a guy. You don't know if a guy like he did perform bad and he did get cut. But one moment you're there right next to somebody, and the next moment you're gone, and it's such like you don't know, you you'll probably never see him again. There's so many guys that got cut. And even when I'd get cut and like when I got cut from the Saints, there's just guys you'll literally probably never see again that you put sweat equity into to make a roster, to make a difference to guys who celebrating preseason and everybody's like, let's say it for the game, Like what are these guys celebrating to win for? And say, yo, these guys fucking put everything into trying to show out and have some success on the field, only to taste it a little bit celebrate and then those guys still might get cut. So getting cut sucks. That is the shittiest moment. Brought to us by dude. Wife's Yeah, you just it's tough man and a guy who might deserve to be on the roster, but it is a numbers game and it's like, oh, he's getting cut, and you know he should be on the squad, but unfortunately you need to carry an extra receiver, an extra dB that kind of trims down that list for him. You're just like, man, he deserves it over that guy who just got on the team, and it sucks.
Speaker 6: Dude.
Speaker 1: You tap them up, you hug him.
Speaker 4: You're just say, man, you just hope they keep going because you're like, hey, you're still in a good spot. I know it doesn't seem that way because everybody wants to fame. Everybody wants to be on that opening day roster. Then when you're on the opening day roster, everybody wants to be a starter on offense or defense. Then not you want to be a big role on special team. So you feel somewhat secure that you might not get cut. But man, it's tough sled when those cuts happen, and it's just like a tough part of the business. But that's the shittiest moment by dude wipes. Let's get into this episode with Josh McDaniels Man Episode two hundred whatever, two hundred and thirty nine, Josh McDaniel's Raider Nation.
Speaker 1: You know the love we have that.
Speaker 4: Busting has for you, guys, that I have for you guys. We're winning the AFC West this year. You guys are gonna love this interview with Josh McDaniels. But without further Ado head Coach Josh McDaniels, big hugs, tiny kisses, makes your leave comments. We interrupt this episode to bring you the exclusive ticketing partner of Barstools Sports and Bust Them with the Boys. Created by fans for fans, Game Time the ticketing app that makes it easier than ever to score last minute deals on tickets to sporting events, concerts, and shows, and they guarantee the lowest possible prices. Guys, this needs to be a staple in your app store. From your app store in your phone. It better be an iPhone because Android suck. But this needs to be a staple app on your phone because football season is here and you need to score last minute deals on your favorite local football games and it's possible with the game Time app. The biggest last minute price drops can be found on the seats you thought you could never buy. Skip the hassle and enjoy the moment. Download the game Time app or go to the website in your email and redeem code busting for twenty dollars off your first purchase.
Speaker 1: Terms apply.
Speaker 4: Download the game Time app or go to game time dot co game time dot co into your email. Oh that's for the description league, I'm thinking Jesus Christ. Download the game Time app or go to the website any your email and redeem code, busting twenty dollars off your first purchase.
Speaker 1: Terms apply back to the episode. Are you rolling all right? So story, so we're talking about Zigs already. Josh mcdizzel.
Speaker 10: H Josh mcdizzell just walked in here, a head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders, and he goes, so you were big Ziggler was your high school guidance counselor.
Speaker 1: And I was like yeah, And he's like, you must have been fucked up. Yes, I was, that's right. But you were asking his age.
Speaker 10: I don't know what his age was when he first was a high school guidance counselor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he know, he was the he was roomed with them. I roomed with them in college.
Speaker 10: He was doing tight end and uh special teams, and he was one of those dudes where was like lip been yelling.
Speaker 1: He was a yeller man. He got after it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: We uh, we lived a little bit of a different lifestyle in college and I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was a little bit more straight laced and he was not that he was. It was we've been. We've been kind of like peas and carrots since I met him. He actually hosted him on his recruiting visit when he came to to care because I was one year older than him, and I could tell right away, I'm like this guy he was looking for he was looking for some fun. What was what was your recruiting went to the horse track?
Speaker 1: I think we did. I don't know if that's the w.
Speaker 10: Yeah, But then I also I feel like everything is legal now do whatever you want.
Speaker 7: We had, uh, we kind of hit it off and then we ended up playing. The two of us end up playing the like we did line changes at receiver. He and I were always in the game together and he was he was exactly as you would imagine, you know, hand under the face mask. And I was trying to create some kind of man, yes, yeah, type of guy. You want that fun. I've never been around him and not had fun.
Speaker 10: He was a guy too that like you got him a job. Essentially, that's how he got out of being being guidance conslor correct.
Speaker 7: I mean he we had kind of obviously stayed in touch because we were good friends, and then you know, he had done a number of things since we graduated.
Speaker 1: And then when I got out.
Speaker 7: There to Denver, we you know, kind of had a connection and I just said, are you happy doing what you're doing? Are you interested in getting in football because we were looking for some younger like guys to make their way in the scouting side, and he expressed interest, came out and he's done everything on his own since then.
Speaker 1: But uh, yeah, we we we.
Speaker 7: Stayed in touch and that was out of the door, open business about relationships.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so he must not have been he must not have been happy being your guidance counsel.
Speaker 1: No, he was not.
Speaker 10: I don't think he was at that point. He might have been doing something a little bit different.
Speaker 7: Well, he talks about law and order. He did like a cameo on law and order. He was guid and did he really I did not know that he got to find that man about that, I think in his introductory press conference.
Speaker 1: So he's He's done a lot of things.
Speaker 10: Dude, truly is incredible. He's like the reason why I was even eligible for college. Yeah, we talked about that on the show with him, man like he literally out a one point six GPA, like I failed everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 7: He you know, he he he talks about his experience with that a lot, you know. And obviously we we have a you know, ninety man roster now, and everybody comes from different backgrounds and.
Speaker 1: All the rest of it.
Speaker 7: So his his, I would say, his expertise in that area has definitely come into play.
Speaker 1: He talks about it often.
Speaker 7: And you know, when we have guys coming from you know, different places, you know, we have to treat him different, you know what I mean, and handled hand handled different guys differently.
Speaker 10: He seems like a guy's guy for sure. Being in the situation you are now like ninety man roster in a couple of weeks, aren't have to make some some big time cut. You're never cut a lot of fat off the bone? Yeah, So like, how what does that process cut me?
Speaker 1: Right now? Yeah?
Speaker 7: It's uh, you know, i I've actually kind of in my head, softened it a little bit in terms of the because of the seven team an practice squad, yeah, or sixteen plus you know we have an international player. It doesn't feel like you're losing half your team, you know. I mean, you're gonna end up eventually cutting let's call it twenty you know, from the ninety. But it doesn't make it any easier those days. Think, you know what I mean. If you're a human being and you have a heart at all, which Dave and I do, it's just difficult to you know, you work all year with these guys all training camp, they pour it out on the field and give you everything they got.
Speaker 1: Then you know it's not quite good enough.
Speaker 4: So those are tough days, especially for the guys who got to be like the fringe guys, right, and then it does just become a numbers game where it's like you you can be on this.
Speaker 1: Squad, yeah, but we just have to go yeah, I mean.
Speaker 7: And the goal for every coach and general manager I'm assuming is, you know, to create as much competition at every spot that you can, so you want those decisions to be difficult. They're not difficult, and your team's not very good. You know what I mean. So, you know, I hope we have a lot of difficult decisions. There's a lot of competition on our team right now, and you know, when those days come, that'll, like I said, it won't be fun.
Speaker 1: You coach Rabe. I didn't.
Speaker 7: I was on the defensive side for three years, and I didn't coach Mike specifically, but I was there when I think I picked him up at the airport, you know, because I was like that guy on the totem pole back then. Yeah, and and then kind of working my way through the defensive staff. But I was around him for those three years and one, two and three and got to be around the you know, the anomaly that is Mike Rabel. So he's uh was on the fringe. He on the fringe of the roster. No, not when I was there. Not when I was there, he you were, no, but he was that guy who was you know, he was he always You were much happier that he was on your team, you know, than not on your team because he wasn't.
Speaker 1: He thought he was just the biggest asshole ever, you know what I mean. But he was our asshole. You was your coach. You sometimes feels like he might be the biggest asshole ever. I'm sure that that could be the case.
Speaker 10: The first year of twenty eighteen, his first year with the Titans, it was like, who the fuck is this? Why is he treating everybody like this? Yeah, but he's done a.
Speaker 1: Lot of growing. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Years later, we had him on recently and we got the you could just tell how nervous we were.
Speaker 1: He kind of suck one of.
Speaker 10: Us on the team anymore, and you would think, Okay, now we can separate and move on.
Speaker 1: But no, head coach five, Yeah, I would.
Speaker 4: I think he could cut you right now and you're like, you know what, You're off the podcast?
Speaker 1: How that happened?
Speaker 5: Dude.
Speaker 7: He's never going to lose that though, because you know, he had he had such a good career as a player.
Speaker 1: He carries that, he'll.
Speaker 7: Carries that kind He had that kind of confidence as a player, you know. I mean there's nobody that he pissed off more than Brady, you know, because he would play scout team all the time, and so like he would do with our defensive reps, and then what he would do is whoever was playing like safety, you know, on the scout team, he would go in the huddle and go get out of here, and he would throw the guy out of the huddle, and then he would play safety, and of course he would never do what the cards said to do, which pissed Brady off to.
Speaker 1: No end, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: It's like, well that he's not going to do that, Mike, and then he would go you know, like those two had legendary battles going back and forth and all the rest of it. But Mike was Mike was always the agitator, you know what I mean. That was part of his stick.
Speaker 10: Billy b was okay with him going in and fucking up a scout rep.
Speaker 1: Oh he didn't he he didn't really know. He didn't care.
Speaker 7: Again, he just you know, his thing was always like, well you got to read it out, you know what I mean, if the safety is not where he's supposed to be, and then somewhere else, you know what I mean. So yeah, it was kind of a he he didn't really mind that.
Speaker 10: Now you seem like a like the Patriot It sounds like so contradictory to what you hear his players. You just hear like the Patriot way, the Patriot way. It's like the hardest practices two a days are just they wish they could have him back. So back to so to hear that Mike was, oh yeah, just fucking around a little bit, yep, and mess with it. Seems like very out of Bill Belichick.
Speaker 7: But Mike, but but but when Mike was out there doing his thing, it was always the way you would want it to be, you know what I mean. And so you know, he we it was both ways. You know, certain guys got a little bit more leeway yeah, yea than others as it always is. Yeah, No, those were the guys we had back then. It was such an old school team, you know, Bruce K. Harrison, Rabel, ty Law McGuinness, like they just kind of, you know, they kind of like handle their own locker room, you know what I mean. Like it was just the way it was, and went out to practice and they kind of held the standard.
Speaker 4: There's a legendary tale of Mike Rabel saying that he would cut his peace off to win a Super Bowl, so that in twenty nineteen something like that, they went to the championship and then he said, no, I actually won't to do it, and then they you guys lost.
Speaker 1: We lost to the kids. If he would have just held on to it said he would actually not cut.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I guess what the segue is here is what are you willing to do to win a Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: I want to work hard.
Speaker 7: I might give a finger or something like that. I'm not not doing that. That's not happening for you.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 1: What now?
Speaker 4: Now being with the Raiders, what do you feel like you've learned since your first stin with Denver as a head coach and now getting another opportunity with the by you.
Speaker 1: Kind of do it your own way.
Speaker 7: And I think when I left the first time, you know, there was such a I didn't have a lot of wisdom about how to do it other than what I had seen.
Speaker 1: And what I had seen was great.
Speaker 7: But you just can't go somewhere and just replicate that immediately.
Speaker 1: That's impossible, you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: And I was trying to do things that I had witnessed, but it just really that doesn't necessarily fit, especially when you're thirty two, you know. So I made a lot of mistakes myself and really hadn't. The time that was really important for me was when I was done in Denver in ten and then taken you know the number of years that I did to kind of go back through and say, Okay, you know, this is how I handled that, this is what I would do now, and just really kind of look at it and say, Okay, I know what I have to do the next time, if I ever get one, if I'm blessed to have a shot at it, and it just got to be authentic, and it's got to be you. And I have a different personality than Bill and you know, than Mike and everybody else, and so you just got to be yourself. And I've learned how to do that more. I'm much more at ease just you know, distributing things to the guys that are around me. Have a great support staff and they handle all their stuff. The coaching staff does a great job, and I try to manage the team from the head coach position through my own spirit and you know how I interact with them every day. So I'm happy with what we're trying to do. I'm at peace with it, and I know it's authentic.
Speaker 4: When when you look back, who are some like some coaches or mentors or people like when you are looking back at the situations by I, you can go this way or guys that you just picked their brain and was kind of like they're with you when you were trying to figure out the next step, when that next opportunity would come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was.
Speaker 7: A lot of people that, you know, you had an opportunity to kind of like, you know, see as you were going. And I remember Tony Dungee spent a lot of time. I haven't talked to Tony in a while in that regard, but Tony spent a lot of time talking to me, you know when I was in Saint Louis right after the Denver situation, just about you know, looking inside yourself and evaluate everything you did, you know, I mean a z you know what I mean, and try to figure out like is that really what you want to do the next time or not?
Speaker 1: You know. And there's many.
Speaker 7: Other people that were that were great during that process, including Bill, you know, because I asked but you know, I asked Bill some things and he understood the scenario. You know, you got to be you and be yourself and do what you believe in, but do it your way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll tell you what he brought up. Journalists he brought Yeah, he brought up Tony Dungee he had. He has a phenomenal book. I forget what it's called, but I did read in college, and he had a lot of seems like he'd be a good mentor to sit with and.
Speaker 1: Talking about all that kind of stuff. He did a great job of giving me some advice. What happened with the Colts? You're about to go to the Colts?
Speaker 4: The rumor is, which is obviously people know of the rumors of like, oh, he went back to New England because he's just going to be the coaching waiting when Bill leaves and all that.
Speaker 1: Like I like everybody know that that's not That's a.
Speaker 10: Two part question though, like what happened with the Colts? And were you the coach in waiting?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: Uh, the second part. No, that was never part of any conversation that I was a part of.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: It just you know, that process, as we all know, is a little bit different. You know, when you're done with the season and then you go into that interview process, and it's so quick, especially when you're still playing, and you don't get as much time to really devote to that whole thing as you really want, you know, And so I interviewed with a few teams.
Speaker 1: That year while we were in the playoffs.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 1: I think it was during our buye.
Speaker 7: I think we had to buy and you know, you're you're trying to battle, you know, balance that with you know, getting ready to play a really important, most important game of your season, you know, and ultimately try to compete for a championship, and so, you know, it just I just felt like as I kind of closed the loop there we went to Minneapolis for the Super Bowl, you know, it was still kind of going through that process in my own mind, just at the end of the day, didn't feel like it was the right decision, you know. And I know the timing was awkward, awful, you know, but I didn't want to do that to anybody either. That was something that I regret in that regard. But I didn't feel like just because the timing was bad, I should go ahead and make a bad decision that I thought wasn't good for me or them, you know what I mean. And so, you know, unfortunately it played out the way it did. I think we're probably fortunate, like Frank went there and did a great job obviously, and you know, I stayed where I was and tried to continue growing and overcome that as best I can.
Speaker 4: It's like you're yeah, it sounds like it's like you're in the interview process. You're excited. Yeah, you're gonna get another opportunity. I'm not saying that there's anything bad that goes on in Indianapolis, but no, you get time to do more due diligence whatever may be, and whatever loosens don't get tied up.
Speaker 1: You're, ah, this kind of sucks. I gotta kind of go back.
Speaker 4: But it seems like this was the better opportunity to go back to New England.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 7: It was the right decision for me. Again, like I said, I don't, I don't. I don't think that it was the easy decision. Yeah, you know, I certainly took my share of flack, deservedly so for the timing of it. And I regret that, you know what I mean, because I have a great deal of respect for Christmaster or say, you know, the people that I met through that process were great to me.
Speaker 10: So again, that was that was on me. You obviously that happened. And then now you're here the Raiders. What what are you looking at that roster?
Speaker 6: Brother?
Speaker 1: You guys are fucking stacked missing one you're missing one piece.
Speaker 10: You're missing all right, three special teamer.
Speaker 7: But what do you guys waiting to nowadays? Look at you? Huh, look at you?
Speaker 10: See the arms coming out as we can do a little work on this room. If you need a question, there's enough room in here too. We'll work in a phone book.
Speaker 7: The I think Dave's done a good job of really, you know, when you can't when you come to a new place, you're trying to figure out, you know, who's there that fits your vision of how you want to play. That isn't an easy process to go through. And every time there's a change, there's ultimately potential changes that are going to take place on the roster of the staff, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Because it's just not the right fit.
Speaker 7: For how you want how you see defense or offense or special teams. And so so you know, we've we've had an opportunity to do such over eighteen or nineteen months here, We've changed over a decent chunk of the roster, you know, and that happens every team, But I think we've added competition at most of the spots that we wanted to try to do that in and right now. We're having a competitive camp. Today was a competitive practice, you know, and you know we're going to keep trying to push that as much as we can. But I think what we've done is we've added some younger players and some players from outside that we feel like have a chance to fit us really well, and now we're trying to blown them together.
Speaker 1: How awesome is wearing the silver and black awesome? It is the coolest colors. It is. Remember to Vegas time.
Speaker 7: I saw the uniform last year when we came out for pregium warm ups, you know, in the Hall of Fame game. I'm like, this is that uniform that I've thought about.
Speaker 1: Like for years and years and years.
Speaker 7: You saw these Hall of Fame players wearn't it, and you're like, this is a bad uniform.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 10: I think we did a Tier talk, which is one of our segments on the show, and it was like, that is cool jerseys across the board, the best.
Speaker 1: Uniform it is.
Speaker 7: Everybody kind of like the silver helmet, the black jerseys.
Speaker 1: Just it's just think a little darker visor every now and then.
Speaker 10: Anything different this year because I know there's.
Speaker 1: A lot of the with the helmets, like our uniform. Yeah, no, nothing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, ours hasn't changed radically from what it was. I think what we're seeing now is a lot of the teams that have like gone through changes are now like trying to like bring back the retro version of what they're wearing.
Speaker 1: We we have the same one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Basically Raiders should ultimately like open up his leaves where like the single bar helmets, just bring bring the tape your fingers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I saw Fredva Litni Coffe the other day at our our preseason game and we were talking about that because, I mean, back then it was that was he was wearing that stuff, that was it sick and you know, all that stuff was in vogue.
Speaker 4: So we interrupt this episode to talk to you about the Bust and Bowl.
Speaker 1: Nebraska verse Michigan.
Speaker 4: It is a trophy game, and with the trophy game, we needed a scent that embodied the trophy game. We partnered with Duke Cannon on creating a scent that embodies this trophy game the Bust and Bowl, called the Trophy Game. It was created with support from the Bust with the Boys team and it's now available in Thick body Wash and The Big Ass Brick of soap. The idea was hashed at the bust And Bowl with the Duke Cannon team, and we wanted to bring a scent that celebrates college football and all of its greatest rivalries your trophy game. It has notes of smoked leather and amber and smells like collegiate bragging rights, not your randomly assigned freshman roommate. Thick, high viscosity body wash that is formulated to build to work effectively on your body and not spew down the shower drain. The big ass brick of soap is three times bigger than the common bar soap that you used that needs to be in the trash, and it's triple milled for superior quality and made with natural oils. Find the new Duke cannonscent at Duke Cannon dot Com slash Trophy Game. And again, this soap, this scent was picked by the nostrils in the noses of yours truly, myself and Taylowan, So we can't wait to hear what you guys hear about it. But it is at Duke Cannon dot com slash Trophy Game. Back to the episode What Coach, What Coach on the staff has brings out the comedic relief into Rob Ryan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, no doubt.
Speaker 7: We mike him like religiously when it's like we feel like we were bored, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's like they always kind of like, who do you want to mike?
Speaker 7: Put it on Rob because he says shit like all the time, whether it's about himself, you know, the defense, you know the period we're going to. He just it's really it's like a running commentary. And then you know, you show snippets of that to the to the fellas and they get a kick out of it.
Speaker 1: What is a go ahead?
Speaker 10: I was gonna say, let's talk about joint practices for a second. We're obviously not in Las Vegas right now. Yep, you feel very strong with the joint practices are the thing to do in camp.
Speaker 7: I think that depends on who you're talking about. Like, to me, we look at it. If the team that we could do it with, that the schedule comes out that we have to play in the preseason makes sense for us to do it against, then we go ahead and do it for us. The two teams that you know we've chosen to do it with this year made a lot of sense for ourselves. You know, we play teams that definitely feature this style of defense that LA uses right now, Stay and the Chargers. You know, there's some other people that we're going to play this year that have the same kind of defense. We don't see that defense in training camp from our own team, So it just if it didn't fit structurally like that, I'm not sure that we would want to do it. But I felt like the competition against San Francisco, the style that they play, I thought that was really quality work for us to kind of get going in the preseason and then to have the opportunity to do that with with Sean and La it makes a lot of sense for us, just for a multitude of reasons, you know. And they're obviously a well coached, first class organization. So this is a good day, you know, not always good for us on the field, but it was a good day.
Speaker 1: It's a blood bath, it's a there's you always get the attention the rise.
Speaker 4: I'm sure with coaches too, but it's like you just feel that we're about to joint practice, like is there a fight gonna break out?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I feel like coach is always like the general like watching the war go down. They feel good about their strategy. Hopefully their men just produce.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're always fight, but you also muster up enough to be like, don't get fucking bullied.
Speaker 1: You got to go to the line. You gotta go to the line.
Speaker 7: The line you're as kicked and everybody's pissed about it. And then if you go over the line, then you're pissed about it because that's not while we're here. So we we I mean we, I don't know. We were staying behind the line a little bit, maybe at the beginning of the day. Then we got up to the line and then it kind of we crossed it a little bit, and then we got it back behind the line.
Speaker 4: So are you just is it kind of like a you go up in my maybe like nudge Max, like get over the line.
Speaker 1: A little bit. No, I don't have to nudge Max at all.
Speaker 7: I have to if I have to do anything, I have to pull Max behind the line again. So he kind of starts practice over the line and then you just kind of try to see if you can rear him in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been hearing that he's like an assassin out there.
Speaker 9: I'm tight with the Mirrorbduela, and he's like, Bro, Max is like the hardest worker I've ever been around.
Speaker 1: You talk about Max a little bit. Yeah, he's rare. You know. This is twenty three years for me.
Speaker 7: So I've had a handful of guys that are like this, but not many, you know, where it's just every single day he can muster up the urgency, the energy, the desire, the effort, the competitive nature, just every single rep, every single day, Like you never have to worry if his car's are in a parking lot at five point thirty because it's already there in the morning. And he does everything possible to help himself be the best player he can be help our team. And he's also learning I think this is really a cool phase for him. He's learning how to also transfer that to others, you know. And it's one thing to be able to do it on your own, it's another thing to try to infect the rest of your teammates with it and then get as many of those guys to do that as as you can. So we're we're seeing that right in front of our eyes. He's developing into that kind of a leader, and he's he's an incredible person.
Speaker 1: And he's a really good football player. He's definitely a guy you want your tea every single day.
Speaker 7: Yeah, everything, you don't again, you don't ever have to worry about his level, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 7: And really what he's trying to do is get everybody to try to play up to that every day. And that's only a good thing. Yeah, I know. And he was kind of scrawny when he came out, and you know, and he just again he's just the toughness.
Speaker 1: It's hard to measure toughness.
Speaker 7: You know, you got the combine and you can say his height and his weight and it's forty and all that. But relative to his effort is toughness, his motor, his love for football and all that. I mean, it's impossible to measure all that. What about playing sound defense? Does he play a lot of that? He does now? But you know, that's a great question because you know, when you have a guy, when you have a guy like that, you build your defense around people like that. And so to try to take him and say, hey, just do this and don't be as good as you could be because it fits something on the whiteboard, I don't really know what, you know, what's the point of that. Yeah, when you have a guy like it's like saying, hey, Randy Moss, here's what I want you to do. You'll run some curls and some short routes because that's what we do well. When you have Randy, you you go deep and you draw different routes that are different for him, and then you build the rest of the offense around him. I'd say the same thing about Max with defenses. Okay, in order for him to be as great as he can be, which would help our team, then we got to build the rest of it around him. So hey, if we want to give him a little freedom to go inside or outside, that's fine as long as the rest of them know about it. And that's what we're trying to do. As we go into our second year here, we know him a lot more. Now, we know who we have around him. Build it around that, and just you know, we'll see how it all turns out.
Speaker 4: Mad Max, don't hear this and think you can just go fucking run. That's exactly what he does.
Speaker 7: Though, No, no, no, he we we've built it such that he has some freedom, which he should, Like I said, if he doesn't have freedom, I'm I'm caging an animal that doesn't need to be caged, you know what I mean, And just let him.
Speaker 1: Let's let him go ahead and do his thing.
Speaker 7: Sometimes he has to be disciplined in that regard and other times he can do himself.
Speaker 1: Imagine being Max watching this right now. That's that then.
Speaker 6: Max.
Speaker 10: Is guy that he reminds me of the way you talk about is JJ Watt, because JJ was a dude that same thing ever played sound defense. If you were to put up a chart and be like, you have the C gap in the situation, he's not going to be.
Speaker 1: A couple of times.
Speaker 10: That's why you'd also see you have like fifty TFLs like the Patriots who played super sound break that sixty yard touchdown because he would take the B gap when he should at the sea gap.
Speaker 1: That linebacker it wasn't covering that.
Speaker 7: And I think again, as long as he's doing it within the scope of the defense, again, that's the responsibility of the staff around him and all the rest of it. But like, there wasn't there wasn't too many guys that I disliked playing more against than JJ Watt, no question, you know what I mean. Because it's like, yeah, he might not have been doing what he was supposed to do, but he was still a pain in the ass. The same thing with Aaron Donald. It's like, you know, I think they're both disciplined, you know enough, and then they're so talented that they just you know, they want to go behind the block and make the tackle.
Speaker 1: They want to go ahead and rip through it.
Speaker 7: They want to go ahead and call the game on second down when it wasn't called in the you know what I mean, Like, they just do things and they have a different ability to do it.
Speaker 10: Did you have anything I was going to add to that, Like predictability in an offense looking at a defense is what it's predictable. It's the grazing in the world. When you have a guy that's going to play the sea gap the whole time. You can run fit him except how you want. You can do play actions exactly how you want to. There's not a better feeling in the world, agreed. When you get guys like Max, guys like TJ, guys like JJ Aaron Donald, there is a level of anxiety that goes through your body.
Speaker 1: As an offensive line. I'm sure we were like, fuck man, these guys, I can't run off the ball the way I want to. I can't you.
Speaker 7: Play you play you play less, you play less, you're a little hesitant, you're at a level of.
Speaker 1: Chest, you know.
Speaker 10: I have to get into other than just hey, we don't want to do whoever's better, he's gonna win.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 10: It's like what fastballs he throwing? Do I need to do something different this time? And you get in this like dance with this individual.
Speaker 7: Where the scheming part of it, once you get to the regular season, I would say, has some element of factors into the equation, you know, because like with JJ, I used to hate running away from JJ because you run away from him, he didn't matter if he cut the if he beat the tackle across his face, or went behind the tackle and then ran it down from behind. It just was it was an impossibility to get him blocked. And so then schematically you go at him and it's like, so all my all our runs this week in this category are all right, We're not going left on those because we can't. We can't make them work, you know what I mean. So I think that that's where the coach has to help sometimes in terms of how do we avoid this being a big problem. I mean, we deal with it every day in practice, you know, so pain in the ass. Like Patrick, which plays is max in for okay one through six. All right, so we got a screen, we have a draw, you know what I mean. It's like we can't just hey, run inside zone at him and go why didn't it work.
Speaker 1: Enough to make it? It's not good, it's not a good look. I don't like to do that a lot in training camp. But for those guys.
Speaker 7: Richard Seymour was another guy that when we practice against him, was like, if you don't take that into account, your practice is going to be a mess.
Speaker 1: And so you actually are quote unquote.
Speaker 7: Game planning your own practice against your own defense, which you don't really love to do. You just want to test your rules and shit like that. But these guys require you to do such. So it's a good problem. It's a great problem if you're the coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the guy on the other side too, Chandler Jones.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we're on the street as my man's looking looking lean, looking ready, looking speedy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and we just got Tyree out there too today, so he's we're trying to add that depth there. You know, Chan has been such a great leader for us, and you know, it was really productive in a running game last year and did a good job, you know, with with what we did. And we're trying to look for all those guys to kind of help us do a little bit more in the pass Rush and I'm excited about the group right now as it stands.
Speaker 1: We interrupt this episode to bring you Peloton Listen.
Speaker 4: Working out is tough, working out consistently and finding a program that sticks even tougher. You probably know that Peloton as the people who make bikes, but they also make the Peloton tread, the Peloton Rower, and even the Peloton App, which you can now access for free. It's got classes like yoga, strength training, hit cardio, and boxing that can be done wherever, whenever, perfect to bring with you during the summer months when you're out and about staying a living the hotel life.
Speaker 1: Wherever you may be. The Peloton app has a workout for you.
Speaker 4: They don't feel like regular workout classes, and they feel like entertainment. They're fun, exhilarating, laugh out loud, hilarious people say and make you want to come back to them over and over and over. Peloton's classes are designed to fit in your life wherever, whenever, whether you have five minutes or twenty minutes, there.
Speaker 1: Is a workout for you.
Speaker 4: You can shrink, train, run, walk, row, or choose from one of the other twelve plus disciplines and eighty five plus classes that depend on your needs. Ready to give it a try, Get started and download the free Peloton app today. Peloton App is available through free tier or paid subscription. Paid memberships start at just twelve dollars and yet ninety nine cents per month. Back to the episode you brought up Randy Moss earlier, when you're coaching somebody like Randy, is it like kind of like you have like a cheet code going on during that year?
Speaker 7: I mean, it's Rob Gronkowski Moss. You know some of these guys that you you know, it just it's tough to DeVante today. You know, it's tough to cover them with a single player, you know. And so the one thing you learn over time is, you know, Okay, if they take him away, what do you need to do to still be productive without taking him out of the game yourself. Yeah, you know what I mean, because yeah, they can play Cover two and roll to him.
Speaker 1: Well, you got it.
Speaker 7: You can't just say, all right, well, Randy's not going to catch any passes today. You still have to work to try to figure out how to do that, you know, when they're trying to take it away. So there's a little bit of a chess match involved with that. But if they give you single coverage against some of those guys, it doesn't have to be real hard. With the quarterback, it's like, look, if they roll to the middle of the field and that guy's over there one on one, you know, like, I don't really care what the rest of the play is, like the ball should go over there. And so there's only a few guys that you can say that about. But when you have one of them, it's it feels good.
Speaker 10: It's such a complex game, simplifying it that way helps so much more.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the quarterback's got so many things going on his head and protections and where's the front who's blitz and all the rest of his stuff, and he sees this guy go to the middle and he's like, great, it's on this one on one.
Speaker 1: That's what you try to do. How fun was it coaching Gronk? Awesome?
Speaker 7: He was you know, tough, physical practice, really hard, smart. You could do so many different things with him. He worked hard in practice every day. He tried to get better at the little things he blocked, you know what I mean, Like he's the first guy out there and it's nine on seven, and like you know, he yeah, he's like, hey, bring it behind me, you know what I mean. Like, you know, there's not a lot of tight ends that are doing that, you know what I mean. So he was a complete tight end. And those guys are as you guys know, they're less and less. It's hard to find them, you know what I mean, where you know they can factor in the running game, factor in the passing game, factor on third down, factor in the red zone. And this guy not only was he all that, but he was also great fun to be around, and it was you know, it was really fun to coach.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 7: He was an elite bro. There's no question he was an elite bro walking.
Speaker 10: You're right, Like, there's not a whole lot of tight ends that do that very much. No, which I feel like there's two the top two tight ends are Kelsey and Kittle, Right, And we're kind of talking about if you're building a team, Yeah, who.
Speaker 7: You want either one of them, they're different. Answer, that's right, because I know I run the battle. Yeah I do, but I always I don't want to get Kelsey.
Speaker 1: No, I mean they're both. They're both.
Speaker 7: It's almost impossible to I mean, we double teamed Kelsey the entire game last year and he had four touchdowns.
Speaker 10: Yeah, wasn't He had like twenty four yards.
Speaker 7: They said, hey, we're not going to let him touch the ball, and then he found a way to touch it anyway in the most critical play of the game in the red zone, you know, which was you know, it was disappointing, but it was also it was a there's a great player being a great player. You know, we took him away for I mean fifty nine minutes of the game. He didn't do a whole lot, but there it is down there in the score.
Speaker 4: That last year, Like you brought up the fifty nine minutes of the game, like it felt like the boys always played solid until that fourth quarter, until later in the game, and just so player to the matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we we have to we have to get better at that.
Speaker 7: That's not just a that's a that's everybody you know, coaching playing situational awareness. We had leads and we got to learn how to close, you know what I mean. It's like being ahead in a boxing match and instead of being content and saying, hey, let's just win it on points, you know what I mean, let's go knock.
Speaker 1: The guy out, you know.
Speaker 7: And so, you know, if we get in that situation again this year, hopefully we'll have a better idea of what we need to do to keep playing the way we're playing, because that's how we got the lead, and so we just didn't. We didn't quite establish that last year, and that's that's my fault. So we have to do a better job, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Last one favorite movie, favorite movie?
Speaker 7: Oh boy, I like there it is.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, give one more coach favorite movie heat.
Speaker 7: Uh with Al Pacino, Robert de Niro, h Tombstone like Tombstone a movie?
Speaker 1: Uh and a few good men. That's a fucking is Do you ever pull the Tombstone?
Speaker 4: I know, do you ever pulled the Tombstone clip where he talks about like bitch slapping the dude in the bar like as like a motivating inspired haven't done it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good idea. I love that. But hey, whoever the video gets the video. Guys man that there.
Speaker 6: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate you coming on together. You guys show. Thank you, appreciate appreciate it. That was awesome.