Speaker 1: But I invited you hear I thought I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest to my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no, guests, your presences presents enough. I already had too much stuff.
Speaker 2: So how did you dare to surbey me?
Speaker 3: Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm Bridgard Wineger. We're in the backyard. The winds that were kind of too much earlier have calmed down. You might hear some brief light wind sounds, and I think that's nice, and I hope you do.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 3: I don't want to keep starting this podcast talking about the state of my car, but my horn has stopped working. It's just not I'm not able to beep or honk or do any of those things. And so just for the next few weeks, if you're at a green light, please go through the light, because I won't be able to beat you, and I could be behind you right now, just kind of suffering in silence. Please go through the intersection. Proceed with caution, but keep me in mind. Is there anything else I needed to talk about? I don't think, So let's get into the podcast. Today's guest is just fantastic it's Francesca Ramsey. Francesca, welcome to I said no gift.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Of course, how are you I'm doing?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm here.
Speaker 4: I'm doing I'm trying to be honest instead of just saying good when the reality is more complicated.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I feel like we're kind of all slowly becoming somewhat honest with each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, we don't know if Earth's getting a season two, so at this point you might as well just say how you feel.
Speaker 3: And if it does, the budget will be slash.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not a recurring I'm maybe a guest again bringing you back.
Speaker 2: I'm an under five.
Speaker 3: We're only bringing back the stars. This effects budget is reduced. Yeah, I mean that's very true. Yeah, I'm more honest with my feelings and also trying to just enjoy what I Yeah, crumbs I can grab.
Speaker 2: I'm here for it. I support you, I affirm you.
Speaker 3: Okay, you can go home. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 2: And this is great.
Speaker 3: This is the self affirmation minute. No, what's been going on? What are you enjoying right now?
Speaker 2: Ooh? What am I enjoying?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: I have a new podcast at wondery called Blackistry for Real, which has been taking up a ton of my time, and I got to meet my co host in person for the first time.
Speaker 3: We've been doing everything known each other.
Speaker 2: We've been doing everything remotely.
Speaker 4: We started working together end of last year, but we follow each other on social media, which it's that thing of like, I hope we're cool in person, and we had the best time together.
Speaker 3: I can go very wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I know we've had a good vibe consciously.
Speaker 4: He's on TikTok. He's super funny and really really smart and prolific. So when we work together on the show, we had a great time.
Speaker 2: But you never know. So yeah, we we have been spending this week hanging out. It's been really fun.
Speaker 3: Oh that's lovely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Meeting a person from I mean like there was that period during early pandemic when you were meeting people only over.
Speaker 2: Zoo oh yeah, like in writer's rooms and right, and then you.
Speaker 3: Meet them in person. It's always for me, so shocking the person You've always just imagine them so small. Oh yeah, and then it's like, oh, this is a fully realized being.
Speaker 2: It's like you meet your showrunner and they have a tail, Like, that's weird.
Speaker 3: That's happened to me every time.
Speaker 2: I didn't know. I didn't see it on zoom.
Speaker 3: Yeah that. I remember meeting Onalise for the first time and just being like, oh this, I feel like I've been talking to on Lisa's fan art and now here's like the like the live action version sort of any but yeah, what else we've got the wind? My car's shutting down? Car wise, how are you doing?
Speaker 4: Oh, I am in a very expensive Mini coop. Really was a smart idea to buy a new car before the strike.
Speaker 2: That was Thank you Universe. She's electric Boogie woogie.
Speaker 3: They have an electric Mini.
Speaker 2: I do have an electric Mini Coop. It's great.
Speaker 4: I can make a parking spot out of a no parking spot. That was the real reason that I got it.
Speaker 3: Well here in Los Angeles, anyone can make us parking spot out of any parking spot because I'll be somewhere and there will be like a compact car and there was a land Rover and I'm just like, okay, well interesting, And.
Speaker 2: I do not feel that level of confidence in my parking skill.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I like to know, you know, because I'm chronically early. I pleas give myself extra time for the hearings, and so I know that if there's a half a spot, I can make it work. And sometimes that half a spot is the reason that I am on time, if not.
Speaker 3: Really right right, I need a football field to park. I need at least one hundred yards. It's one hundred yards. Now, I'm like, I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 2: Football listeners are screaming we've lost the entire football contingency.
Speaker 3: I know that there are yards involved with football, and one hundred is a number that's more than one. It sounds, it sounds doable. That's three hundred feet, which I'm now thinking there's no way that on a Lisa is just looking at me, like you more. Yeah, it's a shame that we've got We no longer have football listeners. I've all left the pods.
Speaker 2: Well now we can talk shit left.
Speaker 3: Oh I hate this game. No, I as far as parking goes. When you do have time, are you the sort of person who shops around for a spot or who takes whatever's offered?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, I'm If I see what, I'm gonna take it. But if it looks like I can't, if it's too small, I will spin the block right right.
Speaker 2: You know, I am.
Speaker 4: Somebody who likes to weigh her options, but I'm very reasonable practical. I might make a list, I might weigh the pros and cons before.
Speaker 3: I taking a photo of each spot.
Speaker 2: Yes, making a pinterest.
Speaker 3: A mood board for parking. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is something I would do.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of someone who will just take absolutely whatever garbage is offered to me. As far as parking, I think because the first five years I lived in LA, I was street parking in mid city and also kind of illegally because I still hadn't changed my plates to LA plates and I wasn't given a placard or whatever, so I was frequently literally a half a mile away from my apartment. So now I'm like, oh, it's I don't know, one hundred yards away.
Speaker 2: I'm not one but two parking spots. Come over. You can park in my extra spot, Spot fifteen.
Speaker 3: It's all yours now is it tandem or side by side?
Speaker 2: Oh? Side by side? And there's a charger in the spot. So if you have an electric car, oh, I do, come on my extra spot. You will have to pay for it, but I welcome you.
Speaker 3: How is uh. I have an electric car as well, and I'm like, I always hear people being like, oh, I have what range anxiety or whatever. I don't feel that.
Speaker 4: I don't either, but I think, but that's also just a symptom my personality. I do not let my baby girl get below thirty percent.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course not.
Speaker 2: And I have and I.
Speaker 4: Have a charger in my spot, so I'm very spoiled versus people who have to go to a charger and sit and wait in line and you get there and the charge is broken, or people like steal your spot in line.
Speaker 3: Oh you're gonna say steal like an object from like a cat.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, I mean like people are sitting in line waiting and then like a tesla will starve up, just like take their spot.
Speaker 3: I only know things of TikTok, oh, TikTok.
Speaker 4: I see people in the charging line in their car on the phone being like.
Speaker 2: I'm so pissed up many effort to me hours, and I'm like, sucks to be you, not my story.
Speaker 3: That's such a bold move to steal a place in line of the.
Speaker 4: I mean you already have a tesla. We know your morals are lull. No, but it is bold, especially because you're gonna have just gonna be there.
Speaker 3: You're like, the person can now just walk up to you. You're not getting away.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're a confrontational person, it does. Yeah, it does seem like a.
Speaker 3: Huge risk, right, I mean, I guess if they were to do it in front of me, I would probably just sit there angrily and just boiling.
Speaker 2: What I mean, I don't know. I wouldn't confront them.
Speaker 4: I would just wait in my car, or I would just go home and charge in my parking spot, because that is a luxury that I have afforded.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I feel like I would probably whether I confront it or not, I would start crying.
Speaker 2: That's probably why I sure you in that response.
Speaker 3: And as far as people with Tesla's it's an interesting thing because obviously Elon Musk's reveal has been kind of slow.
Speaker 2: Yes, so people were there a lot of people who I know that were like, I'm so embarrassed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're kind of draft with this man's car. But then yesterday I drove I was driving down the road and I saw someone in a Tesla truck and my.
Speaker 4: Certainly, you know one of those weird looking ones. They're strange looking and they're like, good their safety hazard, aren't they? They have like very low visibility.
Speaker 3: They must be. It does not look like it was designed to be actually usable.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of like when everyone was driving those those tanks. Well remember that, like when we were in like the war. They were they were like war tanks. What were those cars? They were like, oh my god, what are those things called.
Speaker 4: They're not range rivers, I forget what they're called. But they were like these giant tank looking cars.
Speaker 2: Hummers, Carmer. Everyone had a Hummer and it was like I have a like a yellow Hummer, Like no one needs a yellow, Like, first of all, you're a war criminal. Second of all, a yellow, I know.
Speaker 3: You really want people to be looking at you, right, And.
Speaker 2: They were like he like raised off the crow with these giant wheels and hugely gassed. I was like, that's what those.
Speaker 3: Tesla trucks remind me completely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The hummer is are very like early thousands.
Speaker 2: They really went out of fashion. No one drives them anymore.
Speaker 3: Way out of fashion. And when you see one of those now you're like if I don't know what's happening there's a glitch.
Speaker 2: No, that's having a flag in your bio, like I'm driving on the other side of the road. Where were you January sixth?
Speaker 3: Truly, it's like, because you are that's a WARV. Yeah, yeah, you are prepared to attack. It's a certain type. Yeah, and that's a more and more specific type of person. I think they tried to do an electric version of that, and their.
Speaker 2: Mic like an oxymoron.
Speaker 3: Right, that's such a like the brain of that person's Like, I do care about the environment, but I also am happy to crush someone in a compact. Oh that's so, I don't understand exactly what Alisha's kind of looking.
Speaker 2: There is an electric car currently, funny, but no one's buying them.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen one.
Speaker 4: You would see them in LA if anyone had them, because a lot of people have electrics here.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Interesting, I wonder they probably sold about four. It just feels like a bad move. It's like we were all we all think it's a bad car. Why are you trying to revive it?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It was genuinely so ugly, and I knew I really wanted all I wanted a small car when I first got to La, but the electric Benny didn't exist and there was no electric charger in my spot, so I knew it wasn't smart.
Speaker 2: But I just like a compact cars.
Speaker 3: It's so much zippier.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm playing Mario Kart.
Speaker 3: I'm on Rainbow Road.
Speaker 2: Make a Rainbow Road reference.
Speaker 3: Is the Mini Cooper kind of your dream car?
Speaker 4: I also love a Fiat, but they don't make the one that I like, The old one, the five thousand model, they don't make anymore. Now they have a Fiat that looks like a Mini suv, which is.
Speaker 3: Like, what's the fun small car? Electric?
Speaker 2: But they did the same thing with the Mini where they started making like a larger Mini. It's like, bitch, it's called a Mini.
Speaker 3: We come to you for a reason.
Speaker 4: We literally this is false advertising. I do not want an suv sized Mini. Similarly with the Fiat. Uh, it's so cute. I love it, but they don't don't make it.
Speaker 3: Any wow And is that the j LO version was she was like their spokesperson for a while. I do not remember that she was dancing on the top of the Fiat. She was driving the Fiat and was like, we know you're not driving the Fiat Jelo.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, we know she's not singing, so like, you know, the brand is strong. Is she doing is improvising? She's miming, she's playing an improv game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do. The little Fiat is a cute little car. You see him around pretty I see that.
Speaker 2: I feel like they're see them all the time in LA. Similarly with the Mini. As soon as I got one, I was like, holy shit, everyone has this car.
Speaker 3: It's because it's a convenient, stylish car. It is. Did you have a dream cars like a teen?
Speaker 2: Ooh? I really loved Volkswagen Jeta, the boxy ones, and I had a Jetta in college, but it was like the model that was like a rounded square, right, you know, they started kind of changing and now they look like a regular sedan, which which is annoying.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I loved the boxy version. Yeah. I love those old boxy Volkswagens. There's my friend drove Volkswagen Fox H which, first of all, what a name for.
Speaker 2: A car, amazing, amazing.
Speaker 3: Why haven't they revived that? I don't know, forget the Hummer, bring back an electric Fox.
Speaker 2: I had a Vulvo. I had a Volvo for a second, and I love the chairs that like the seats that are like the adult Yes, but they're like leather with like a little stitching on them.
Speaker 3: Right, they're so like swanky, so stylish. I wonder what the gas mileage on that sort of car?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: Mine was old and always have problems.
Speaker 3: Right, I'll see those around la occasion. I assume the person driving those cares about global warming.
Speaker 2: But do you think that they are like supposedly like very good on gas.
Speaker 3: As far as a gas car, remember, it's very much a car that when an indie filmmaker is trying to make their movie look interesting, that's the what the person will be driving. It's like there are other cars that we can put they can tell us what.
Speaker 4: The character is at this exactly when you buy the car. Wes Anderson is in the gloves department.
Speaker 3: He's at the dealership.
Speaker 2: You get in.
Speaker 3: Immediately we're hearing xylophone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think my current dream car and it has been since probably I was fifteen. Is are you familiar with the Subaru Brat? I don't think again, what a name for a car a Brat Brata Brat that it's kind of like a miniature. Do you know what an El Camino in. Yeah, it's like a small version of that. Oh okay, so fun. Yeah, and they would have seats in the bed of the you know, it's like a little truck. Oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can like go to like a drive in movie.
Speaker 3: Isn't that a great is?
Speaker 2: Really? I feel like that fits your aesthetic. It's very sporty. Okay, I appreciate hearing you don't understand football, but you give sporty, you give sporty space.
Speaker 3: I'll take sporty spice. I'll take sporting spices. Put me in a tank top and a pair of like track pants and I'm right there. What's sporty Spice's real name?
Speaker 2: Oh? Melanie something with the C Melanie C. Because there was a Melanie Bee. Melanie was scary Spice.
Speaker 3: Did we know any of their last names at the time? Emma Button, Jerry Hallowell.
Speaker 2: Jerry Yes, Jerry Hallowell. And Victoria Beckham? Oh was she Beckham when she started?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I don't think she wasn't he wasn't in the picture.
Speaker 2: I don't know who she was.
Speaker 3: Gents, and probably.
Speaker 4: Multiple football references are happening, But we talk about the Europe we can do both football.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, I feel like the names were kind of a slow roller. I feel like I knew Melby and Melci first.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what Melb's the B is for.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was Beckham. Maybe there's some drama there, I think so. But then yeah, halliwell was like the first. Is that even how we say her last name?
Speaker 2: No one, no one knows.
Speaker 3: I think she was the first to kind of be a solo star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she tried, she tried. She was one of the first one to leave.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, she was the first. She We blame her sure for a lot of things.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have lots of notes. If we really want to get.
Speaker 3: Into it, I would love to get into it.
Speaker 4: What the vocals were not strong? And I feel confident in saying that because it was true.
Speaker 2: They just weren't. Yeah, like to the music.
Speaker 3: It was very fun music. But I don't think that there was any of them was a great vocalist, right.
Speaker 4: I think Melanie c has a pretty good voice, Okay, she does. She tried to do some like dancy tracks.
Speaker 3: Right where she's kind of like vamping over them.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, exactly. She's she's okay, I mean, yeah, I think her voice is probably the strongest out of all of that, Okay, and I would say POSH is the weakest.
Speaker 3: Posh. Interesting, Okay, it feels like they were one of the few groups. Well now this isn't gonna be true, but I feel like other girl and boy bands, like there would be one person who was able to escape.
Speaker 4: Nobody was able to successfully. I mean, I would say that Victoria Beckham has the most successful solo career, but not as a singer.
Speaker 3: Right exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they all tried. Jerry really tried. She had them. She had a talk about look at me, look at me at and something something aint. Can you see? That's that's all I remember.
Speaker 3: And the song was the song was not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody, nobody. I think Baby Tribe.
Speaker 3: Oh, Baby's still alive.
Speaker 4: She is, she is, she looks great, she's she's keeping true to the baby name. She's looking youthful.
Speaker 3: Oh good for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah and natural. Yeah nobody else really Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like Victoria probably like out of singing or otherwise, it is probably the most successful nomad. Like she's she's super successful any worldwide name.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, through her hobby, but also through her fashion line, which is like it's a risk for musicians and entertainers to go into fashion. But I think she's done a really good job.
Speaker 3: Like her stuff is cute, it's expensive, Yeah, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I feel like she's influenced the naming of children. Doesn't one of her kids have a name? Like she's got like a Brooklyn nexton or something. Yeah, she's got Brooklyn Yeah, uh huh. So good for her. I don't even know where I'm going with this, but yeah, I mean, God, bless the Spice girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: And I do believe Jerry ended up in politics. I don't know what.
Speaker 4: She's doing, but I feel like the last time I saw I will say I saw a conspiracy theory that Jerry and.
Speaker 2: And Scary. Jerry and Scary were in a lesbian relationship.
Speaker 4: Oh and they were kind of reviewing music video and seeing what was going on, and supposedly that was the real reason that the group broke up, what the spices were spicing it was, there was stuff going I want.
Speaker 3: To believe it. I want to believe, so do I. And when you say they were reviewing music.
Speaker 2: Like the people on TikTok were looking at videos and you can see that there's like tension. You know, they break down the you know, the body language analysis and all that stuff. I don't know if any of it's legit, but I want to believe.
Speaker 3: I need to get into this. Why don't those two come out and tell us. I mean, that's paying attention for a few minutes.
Speaker 2: That is that would sustain a tour?
Speaker 3: No, absolutely, it does, at least a six city tour.
Speaker 4: And listen, millennials, elder millennials. We don't have a ton of money, but we are like the world is crumbling around us and we want to relive our youth. And so like if you go on tour, you don't we know the vocals are going to be there. We just want to see you, so we will show up exactly.
Speaker 3: They did try to come together for a minute, right. I feel like they have tried a few times. I don't like to do that.
Speaker 2: They have, and I don't think it's just it just has never really worked out.
Speaker 3: You don't want to try a few times. You do it once and if it doesn't work, then hang up the I guess the platform, the platforms, the platform flip flops.
Speaker 4: We were definitely wearing platform Neapolitan nepatol and and one of.
Speaker 2: Those ice cream that has the three. Of course, that's what those flip flops looked like. They had like a line of pink in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love a Neapolitan color scheme.
Speaker 2: Yes, very a brown light pink and a creek. Oh yes, I.
Speaker 3: Would get into a flip flop with that. I'm stomping around in some of that.
Speaker 2: I'm into that. Or like a manicure that has that color.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, I like that. Yeah, I like the ice cream. I haven't had it in a long time, so I can't speak from recent experience, but you get a freak it still holds up. You can't really can really go there, right, Those.
Speaker 2: Those are those staple flavors. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if you can like order that at a nice cream place anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I have no idea. It's a question worth asking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the good old days when you could order a Neapolitan.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, speaking of questions that need to be asked, I have something to ask you.
Speaker 2: Yes please.
Speaker 3: I was obviously excited to have you here today. I thought we'll have a nice time. We'll get into whatever we want to talk about. No feelings will be hurt. No rules will be broken, no boundaries will be pushed.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: The podcast is called I said No Gifts. Yes, so I was a little surprised when you kind of appeared in my backyard. Yes, holding what from where I'm sitting appears to be a gift.
Speaker 2: One thing about me, I'm gonna bring a gift.
Speaker 4: I love a gift. Gifting is my love language, it really is, Is that true. I have a gift drawer. This came from the gift drawer.
Speaker 3: A gift drawer.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: My policy is we are out and about and you see something cute and you think this will make a great gift, but I have no one to give it to buy it anyway, buy too, put it in the gift drawer, and then you will never show up empty handed.
Speaker 2: Wow, And every single person will be like, oh my god, you brought a gift to my housewarming, to my divorce party, to my you know, cake cutting ceremony or whatever.
Speaker 3: There's a kid cutting that's kind of a brisks.
Speaker 4: I mean exactly exactly. So you show up with a gift and you look, you know, like a great guest and very thoughtful.
Speaker 2: Little do they know you have gifts year round.
Speaker 3: Interesting, that's a that's not that's not something I could do. Oh yescause I can't buy something for myself. I see something that I need for myself, I can't buy it let alone.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't just like browse at you know, oh brows and when you see something use you just don't buy.
Speaker 3: You just rest leave the store and they think, oh no, I just I buy two. See that's a hell things.
Speaker 2: I also have like a list of.
Speaker 4: Gift places on my phone, like when someone gives me a gift, like plants dot com. Oh, you can send someone like a succulent just like very nice.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 4: There's a site that I found that will like engrave glasses for you, so like, you know, if you have an anniversary or a funny saying that you have with a friend, you can have it engraved on a glass.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a nice on a goblin?
Speaker 2: Even that a few times? What else do I have on there?
Speaker 4: I have also of like random things, and it's truly like I go somewhere or someone sends me something and I'm like, I want to remember this site, so I'm gonna put on my little gift.
Speaker 3: That's very smart, that's very in control of your life.
Speaker 4: I am like so type A, and it really comes from the fact that I have very little control over like other parts of my life right right, That's where I really like latch on.
Speaker 3: I wonder what type I even am. I don't know if there's a category for how I'm doing things wrong, because I feel like I do have some Type A tendencies, but not the ones that are good or not the ones that lead to success.
Speaker 4: Some people might say that Type A tendencies are bad because I know for some some people, like I love a calendar invite and I'm chronically early, and my friends are like, this is you send the calendar invite before we get off the phone, and I'm like, yes, I need it. I need it on the calendar. So like, certain aspects of it can be annoying, but at least you can be counted on literally you n if. I always tell people if I'm late, start a podcast about my disappearance.
Speaker 2: I'm dead in a dish somewhere. I'm not late.
Speaker 4: If I'm late, you will hear from me. But if you don't hear from me, something happened. I am chronically I'm like a premature baby.
Speaker 3: See this that used to be me until the pandemic, and I've like slowly lost control of being put I'm always now like panicking on my way to a place, just freaking out.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's fine in La. Everybody's fifteen minutes late here, which is horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't annoy with behavior.
Speaker 4: Now, and especially as someone who's chronically ear, it's really taken a lot for me to like get over the fact that everyone's late because I'm always early, and then like nothing starts for thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: Right, you're now a half hour early. It's not fair to you. You're the only victim in this situation. I know it, truly, I've known that pain a lot. Well, look, the gift is here. Yes, we're recording a podcast. Should I open it here on the show?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, let's and can I also just tell you, of course I did make the wrapping paper?
Speaker 3: You made it?
Speaker 2: Did? I did?
Speaker 3: Well? I'm gonna take a picture of a pre we gotta get a close up of this.
Speaker 4: I took a printmaking class, what and I carved these little star stamps out of little linoleum blocks, and I rolled a giant thing of craft paper, and I keep a roll of stamped craft.
Speaker 2: When I got the invitation of this podcast, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, this is my podcast, I'm the target audience a gift and they were like, it has to be wrapped, and like the way was this? Kept telling me and it has to be wrapped, And I was like, Oh, it's going to be fucking wrapped.
Speaker 2: You think I'm showing up with an unwrapped Uh. Yes, I made this incredible.
Speaker 3: I would have like, I mean this looks so professional.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I got really into it. I took the class.
Speaker 4: I took one in college, but then I took one, uh like maybe two years ago. There's this really cute queer art studio called Nova Arts in Atwater Village. It's run by two queer women who went to college together. And yeah, I took this class and it was just so cool.
Speaker 2: It got so into it, and so.
Speaker 4: I've been I save like all of my takeout bags and I stamp them and I keep them in the gift drawer.
Speaker 3: So crafty, uh huh.
Speaker 2: I have little cards and I just.
Speaker 3: And so, now can you make these stamps at home?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So it's like a little linoleum block and it come. You buy these little carving tools that are all different sizes. You draw whatever you want on the on the block, and it's very therapeutic because you can't be on your phone both hands and you have to really pay attention because the tools are sharp, you know, so you have to really sit there and be very methodical, and you know, put a little music on.
Speaker 2: Smoke a little weak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so what else have you made? So my signature shape is this, like little a little rainbow. I put those on everything.
Speaker 2: Stars.
Speaker 4: I love circles, I love shapes. I love like zig zag lines. I like things that you can like layer on top of each other.
Speaker 3: So that's so great. Yeah, wow, And the class, what what does it mean? You took the class?
Speaker 4: So it's it was a print making class. So there were different types of print making techniques. So this was called lino print, which is like the linoleum print. We also did like a type setting class. They have like an old printing press. It was like a test press, meaning like before you actually put the newspaper together, you did like a little test version. So there's like little blocks with different letters on them. You have to put them backwards in this thing. Oh and then you like roll it with ink and you put a piece of paper on it, and then you roll this giant brick on top of it. We also did a Reezograph, which is like a giant printer, but it prints one color at a time. So if you draw a picture and it's got red, green, and blue, you have to draw all the blue areas first and then print it, and then you draw all the red areas and then you print it, and then you draw all the wow, yellow areas.
Speaker 2: And then it's so so cool. What other ones did we do? Yeah, that was it, and then we just like did little projects and it was six weeks and it was like, sounds incredible. It's so cool. They have like figure drawing, they have all sorts of stuff there.
Speaker 4: And I really especially again because I'm so type A and because I love control and I lack control. I love being able to like use my creative talents for something where I'm like, I know there's a process here, it's a beginning, middle and edg no notes. You don't get so different from let's get out of Zoom, no bitch stamp. So like, for me, like making art is a way to like work through my anxiety but also to just like feel accomplished and creative and not you know, like maybe you feel this way too, but like when you turn your creative passions into a job, it can kind of like suck the fun out of it. And so like I have no interest in like monetizing this, Like this is just such a fun thing that I do, and I love the feeling of sharing something with someone that's very personal of course, and how excited they like.
Speaker 3: Like this, I'm incredible. I'm taking an app. I don't even need to open the thing at this point, Like this was enough. Yeah, I mean that is that's baking?
Speaker 1: Is that for me?
Speaker 3: Like I know that if I do this correctly, there will be a result and I'll know what it's going to be.
Speaker 2: And giving it to people and they're like this tastes really good.
Speaker 3: I just recently started giving them away. I've been very selfish and now I'm finally kind of shining.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love it.
Speaker 3: It's so nice to give people a cookie and have them actually enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Yes, And you also get to go you want a cookie and then you give them one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, or to withhold Yeah, another powerful stance. Okay, let me open this, Yeah, please do did we even just did I even say, it's like a brown rap with like these wonderful little white stars with It's great. There will be pictures on the Instagram. Yeah, calm down, okay, let's I love brown wrapping papers. Aye.
Speaker 2: Something about it feels sad, oh like yeah, and like artsy.
Speaker 3: And oh I know I'm opening it. It looks like you've given me something good, like something that's actually joy. Yeah, this is actually a useful thing. Well, I mean I don't exactly know what it is yet, but it's called massage soap and it's eucalyptus and mint. What is massage?
Speaker 4: So it's a soap that has like little rivets on it so that when you rub it on yourself like all ease you but also like gives you a little massage.
Speaker 3: Oh this is wonderful. Where did this come from? Uh?
Speaker 2: Came from World Market, which is where I get a lot of my gifts.
Speaker 3: Great gift zone.
Speaker 2: They've got a gift zone for the goal. It's everything is in there, even.
Speaker 3: The food sections.
Speaker 2: It got little snacks, they've got little markers, they've got baretts, they've got earrings, they've got candles, they have little eye.
Speaker 3: Masks, baskets, Flore's they have.
Speaker 4: They have so much cute artwork and stuff. It's like really affordable and like, and I also have points. I love a place that I have points. So a lot of these gifts they come on points.
Speaker 3: How many points do you think you have? I don't know, but if you.
Speaker 4: If I am in the checkout and they're like, would you like to sign up for the rewards for I say yes, take my data, take my data, give me those points. If I get an email that's like, you have to use your points today, I'm like, great, getting in.
Speaker 2: The mini coup let's go got into my head, spin them points up.
Speaker 3: I love a points program.
Speaker 2: Me too, or like a it's your birthday, so now you get off. I don't care what it is. I'm like, I guess I'm buying a house ten percent off an Eagle Rock for your birthday. Totally.
Speaker 3: I will go to any place more often if it has a points system.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, I mean it's it's genius. It's great incentive.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's an incredible incentive. I feel like I'm being rewarded, although it's probably absolutely bare minimum. Yeah, it's a scam. When you get it, it's such a nice little bonus you feel like you're the king of the place for the three minutes you're there.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I recently got some a free chicken sandwhich, and I was over the moon.
Speaker 2: I was over the moon.
Speaker 3: I was like I had won a million dollars.
Speaker 4: I would love a free chicken sandwich. If anyone is listening a p lease go to my website, check out the po box and send.
Speaker 3: Me a freaking why that you can sandwich in a box?
Speaker 2: Now, Yes, that's how I like it.
Speaker 3: I love a bath product. I love a shower product.
Speaker 2: Those are listeners. Bath products. You can't go wrong. They are not gendered. Everybody needs to take a bath.
Speaker 3: Everyone loves to experiment in the bath and shower.
Speaker 2: Everybody wants to smell goods. Yeah, of course, so nice.
Speaker 3: Are you the sort of person when you're like a house guest at somebody's place that you'll like get into their stuff and use their different products?
Speaker 4: Ooh, I'm not, But I will say the last time that I went and visited, I was like staying at my aunt uncle's place, and in their guest room they had like stocked up toothbrushes and toothpas like like in like little wrappers for guests.
Speaker 3: This is rich people behavior. It was.
Speaker 2: I was like, I did not know y'all got it like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great to see.
Speaker 2: It was amazing. That is the type of person that I want to be.
Speaker 4: Oh when you code it when you're visiting and you're like, oh, I forgot to bring slippers and they're like, here's some.
Speaker 2: There's a bunch of slippers in this drawer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is top shelf behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was really really cute.
Speaker 2: But I don't I normally I'm not I'm not someone that pokes around.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm getting in there. I'm putting on the using I'm like, my hair doesn't need to be washed, but this looks expensive and we're gonna give it a try.
Speaker 4: You're like, is this your mom's ashes? Guess I'm putting.
Speaker 3: Rubbing it in my hands. This is exfoliating.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm getting in there, and then at home, I'm doing the same thing. I'm trying new things all the time.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And part of it is also I'm like, well this soap is on sale this week. Oh no, of course I'm trying a noose, no soap. No.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not one who like experiments, like I don't have like this particular brand of a soap or something. But like whatever sunscreen I'm using, like I'm a diehard. I want to use that product till like the day that I die. I'm in mourning if I can't use it anymore. But raman Is, the supermodel, had a makeup line and she decided to stop doing it in the middle of the pandemic. I was on eBay buying old bottles of Iman because I was like, I cannot transition to a different foundation.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, you're so used to it. At that point I stopped her.
Speaker 4: I don't I'm guessing it was the pandemic. But she didn't even like make an announcement or anything. Like just the website went down. You couldn't find the stuff in the stores anymore. So I was like scouring eBay and like the Internet, try to find old bottles or just buy things in bulk.
Speaker 3: It's not like Iman is brewing it up in her basement.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't know what happened. I am on. I know you're listening, of course, side of my damn. Let me know.
Speaker 4: What else I will say for daily scun sunscreen. I love Supergoop. Super Goop not to be confused with Goop. This is a Goop products, not a product. Every time I mentioned people go who, I'm like, no, no, it's okay. We are not giving one of Pultro any more coins. This is a different company. I love some super goog okay, because you know, sometimes like sunscreen is like chalky.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, not this. It just goes right on.
Speaker 2: I mean, smooth looking.
Speaker 3: I need you need like an opaque bubble over me. Basically, get you some daily supero.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, it's a game changer.
Speaker 3: I've been, you know, steadily upping my sunscreen usage to the you know, basically the point that I'm putting it on before.
Speaker 2: Bed, Yes, every single day. You cannot wear too much sunscreen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just go for it. So this is a good recommendation. I like a like a moisturizing sunscreen.
Speaker 2: That's what this is. You put it on like after you get out of the shower, before you start your day.
Speaker 3: This is incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's wonderful.
Speaker 3: Have you read about like the Korean sunscreen market.
Speaker 2: Now, whatever the Korean folks are doing when it comes to skincare, they got it a lot.
Speaker 3: They've really time.
Speaker 4: I see somebody and I'm like you have the face of a toddler. They're like, I am using such and such Korean skincare, but they have like all the good stuff.
Speaker 3: And I believe with the sunscreen, it's almost like a legal thing, like I guess like in the US, like whatever they're using in Korea has not been approved by the FDA or whatever, and so they're just so far in band.
Speaker 4: We're too busy banning TikTok, right, y'all? Can I have silky smooth skin and TikTok well?
Speaker 3: An interesting? Interestingly, TikTok and Korean sunscreen are basically sisters. I mean, I feel like it's all over. I mean, yeah, I don't I'm not even on TikTok, and I know people are constantly talking about Korean sunscreen on tiptokh I mean.
Speaker 2: What I love about I mean, and not to like turn this into like a pro TikTok screed, but I love that if you like something like the algorithm like learns you and gives.
Speaker 4: You more stuff, which is like really nice. It kind of like helps you navigate the rabbit holes in that way. But yeah, the skincare girlies are serious over there.
Speaker 3: I mean, speaking of the algorithm and TikTok. I'm never on it, and I opened it last night and the first thing I'm presented with is Donald Trump talking to a child. It's like, oh, I immediately.
Speaker 2: Show brain want you have to hold it and click? Not interested?
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't know there was a no.
Speaker 2: If you watched it for too long, it'll think that you liked it.
Speaker 3: I mean, does a track that you immediately closed the app? I think it does.
Speaker 2: The wrecking everything it's listening right now.
Speaker 3: It probably is. It is TikTok reach Out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The banning, it's like not but they're not quite banning it right. They're like demanding the sell part of the company. Yeah.
Speaker 4: They were like, we're worried you're spying on us ps, Facebook and Instagram.
Speaker 2: Y'all are good, We're okay, but y'all we want an America. If you go to spy on us, you must look like us. I don't really feel you know, a little xenophobia sprinkled in there. Y'all can't spy on us. We want this needs to be.
Speaker 3: A Homesta, be a sucker Berg approved.
Speaker 4: Yes, literally everything is listening to you. So they're trying to cloak it in this you know, like national security thing, but I don't believe it.
Speaker 3: So what's going to happen?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I feel like it could go away.
Speaker 4: They they gave them a deadline, and I said, you have to sell to an American company, which also feels very scammy, right, Like, we're worried about national security. But if you just pick Selldom the company to an American company, will be okay with it? Again, we want to We're okay with American spying on our citizens, not anybody else.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can't, I can't. I can't get a wrangle on if it's gonna happen or not.
Speaker 3: Right, I feel like there's just no way that happens.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, every single time I think I have an understanding of how the world works, some crazy shit happens, you know what I mean, Just something happens where I'm like that was a to be a thing and then it was so who knows?
Speaker 3: Then have you taken any skincare or like soap recommendations from TikTok?
Speaker 2: I haven't. I you know, I've been blessed. The melanin has really been good to me.
Speaker 3: I've always.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I always tell people if I start hawking skincare, you know, I'm down bad. The finances are in the trash because this is all natural. And I'm even going, guys, you should buy this product.
Speaker 2: I'm lying to you. No one has helped me get the skin. This is from birth.
Speaker 3: Oh you're so lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I've always had really clear skin, and so I'm very much of the mind, like I don't want to mess with it. I put on sunscreen the recommendation of a dear friend, mecup artist, who was like, this is what you should be doing every day to preserve what you have. I try to drink a lot of water.
Speaker 2: Sure, and that's it. I'm a less is more type of girl, Like what's.
Speaker 3: Your like, do you wash your face? Do anything?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I just take my makeup off every night and I put my sunscreen up, my daily sunscreen on. I do a little I cream, you know, newly forty the bags are giving Chanel, you know, giving, let's see behind the counter.
Speaker 3: So I do put a little I cream on, but that I could get into I cream.
Speaker 2: I'm really into Keel's avocado I cream. I did.
Speaker 4: I got the recommendation from a friend, But I did like watch some videos to see like people's suggestions. You want, supposedly with the I cream, you want something that's like a little sticky to like help fill in the ridges. You don't want it to be too like liquidy. I don't mean these are not technical liquity sticky. It's medical. Yeah, So you need something that like I guess it like gives your face like buoyancy or something.
Speaker 3: So I put that on and I do think it helps.
Speaker 2: I mean, you look great, thank you.
Speaker 3: How long you've been doing the I cream?
Speaker 4: I'm I want to say, like about a year? Okay, Yeah, I just woke up one day and I was like, what is going on? And my skin is changing? Yeah, so that's really it. And I'm I I just like, I want to look like myself.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't want want to turn into a monster.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't want somebody to like, you know, the rare time I bring somebody home, we wake up in the bed and they're like, who the fuck is that?
Speaker 2: I don't want that.
Speaker 3: I want to look like myself purely, you just the best version of yourself.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't want to have to take like a sledgehammer to my skin to like get all the ship off at night.
Speaker 3: You know, very light and easy and neutral, minimal. Why wouldn't ye? That just seems so nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we were definitely in a moment where the like heavy contour. It was like almost drag makeup, locked out brow that almost had like a gradient.
Speaker 1: On what was it?
Speaker 4: The gradient brow very interesting brow work and cut crease so it was like shadow. But then there was like a line of like a different color eyeshadow. It was very interesting. I never went through that phase.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, how uh how much browse change? Actually? There be like a history book on brows.
Speaker 2: We had a sperm brown.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course we should.
Speaker 2: Have a history book on browsing brows and only called just browsing.
Speaker 3: You've got a book deal, you've got an events, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 3: I love going into a Keels store, have you ever? Of course I never purchased anything like going in there. It feels a little doctory. Yes, they've got the sometimes the coat on.
Speaker 4: Yes, it feels very science y. They have like good hand creams and stuff. They have good products.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've had some samples a little pricey, but yeah, right, right, and I like the ones occasionally will go in and they'll be like, can we wash your hands? Can we do this sort of thing for you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I'm all about that.
Speaker 4: Oh I got I haven't been in kiels And forever then nobody asked to wash my hands. But I maybe I should go back.
Speaker 3: Incredible experience. There was a I was in Palm Strings with my boyfriend last year or something, and it wasn't a Keels. It was some off brand place. We went in and they offered to wash our hands. And I think that the woman who washed our hands probably she was very much I don't think she works. I think she was on her way that night to dying. Oh no, like this person's on the edge. Oh this person is got something's going on.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that does see what I mean, something must have been going on if like her dying wish was I want to wash a stranger's hands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a very like I just came from the back room doing meth feel. But of course I still allow the hand washing. It's a free wash. I'm going to take it. But r ip ultimately yeah, yeah, I mean it was a bleak feel. Not it was not the Keels experience. Certainly they had not checked this person's background when they hired her. They did not all her referrals. Her references. Well, I'm excited to try this. I mean it's interesting also to give a soap you've never tried to someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I feel like you can't go wrong with soap, like young with have one job as long as it lathers and cleans. I think it's why. It smells good.
Speaker 3: It smells good, it looks like a good product.
Speaker 2: And this is, you know, this is above average soap. This is you know, teacher's pet soap. It's like I'm a clean new animal, a massagy.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I feel like that does it's drop? Yeah, this is not like a bar of dial no bar of Irish spring.
Speaker 2: The same as when you give a candle. You don't have to have used the candle.
Speaker 4: You just give it a sniff and you're like, this seems good, and you get and it comes in like a pretty little dish or something and you're like, great.
Speaker 3: Here we go. Yeah, I wonder I'm gonna open and just see what the bar actually, yes, please do. It looks like a fun little toy almost almost looks like a leg giant lego.
Speaker 2: Piece or something exactly. I mean, I don't know if those things actually will massage.
Speaker 3: You know, it's already doing it.
Speaker 2: Cheery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I love this and I can smell it. It smells smells really nice.
Speaker 4: Eucalyptus and mint i mint and aromatic accords balance with earthy petrullly.
Speaker 2: Oh fuck Patrulli.
Speaker 3: Sorry, why do you say so? It's giving lilith fair.
Speaker 2: I feel like patually, you know, I associate patually with people who were using that instead of showering.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, where.
Speaker 2: It was like patrually mixed with like funk.
Speaker 3: We're getting a musk. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I did have a Petrulli.
Speaker 4: Phace for like two seconds in high school. But it's so overpowering. It's you really need it in moderation, but it doesn't.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not getting that from this is not This is not because I'm very sense bad smell. Actually that's probably not true. I actually feel like I'm kind of smell blind, but I'm not getting a bad smell.
Speaker 2: Well you it sounds like an flick show was in your future. Smell is blind.
Speaker 3: It's just pods trying to smell things through a wall.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my god, straight to series.
Speaker 3: I guess it would be a mesh thing and you're trying to smell what's on the other side.
Speaker 4: I will say that one time, when I was like home from college and like needed money, I signed up for this like bad breath survey where it was like they give you different mouthwashes and then you blow into a tube and someone has to smell yours on.
Speaker 2: The other side.
Speaker 3: Who was getting paid in this situation?
Speaker 2: I got paid. I think I got like one hundred bucks. You had to use this mouthwash.
Speaker 4: They had like different mouthwashes and like you had to use a certain mouthwash for a week, and then they had people they were testing to see I don't know the strength of them, and it was like through a little like a little a breathy glory hole. I guess you just blow into a little tube.
Speaker 3: This is mortifying, I know during that week where you like, I'm really going to go for it eating wise, No, I.
Speaker 2: Was that was a poor college student. I was just needed the money. Wow.
Speaker 3: I wonder who was on the other side.
Speaker 2: Of that show. That's the show? Who who is willingly signing up or it's just like a wall that goes out into the street and people are walking by, like, what the fuck was that smell?
Speaker 3: I think that's a sewer.
Speaker 2: Great to me.
Speaker 3: On the other side, did you feel like the wash was working?
Speaker 2: I guess so, I mean it it All it was supposed to do was like make your breath mintier. I guess I don't know. It worked for me. I listen, I got my hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: That's all that mattered to that exactly at that moment in time. Yeah, I feel like there are mouthwashers when I'm like, oh, yeah, this is probably disintegrating my teeth right now. It's working so well, then there are others like that's mint lemonade. Yeah, so there is a yeah, I wonder did you.
Speaker 2: Ever have a listarine moment? That stuff is nasty?
Speaker 3: Oh, like a moment I think probably when I had braces. Oh yeah, that makes They would like recommend you.
Speaker 5: Don't like the alcohol ones no listine taste. Yeah, it tastes like alcohol.
Speaker 3: I mean, but that's you know, it's working. It's destroying everything in your mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, not my vibe.
Speaker 3: I need basically paint thinner.
Speaker 2: Then you need the streine.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm not doing mouthwash at all.
Speaker 2: And it was also like brown, Like you couldn't give us a cuter color.
Speaker 3: Telling me there's a brown listerine. What are we talking about? You're talking about like raw whiskey.
Speaker 4: There's like a green Listerine. I think that was like part of the rebrand. The original listine was like a copper ish color. It looked like alcohol. It looked like a brown liquor.
Speaker 3: It was wow looking. That is very interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like I associate that with like my dad's house. Oh, use this gross stuff.
Speaker 3: Wow, that sounds awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was bad.
Speaker 3: That sounds very just like fifties hospital.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly the vibe.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I've I think I've been on the Listenerine train since they went green. Yes, okay, green or blue. Occasionally. I think they'll do a white. Yeah, but brown, I mean whoever was in charge of that at the time.
Speaker 2: No, it just didn't make any sense, felt like something you should be pouring into your car.
Speaker 3: It's a really thin oil. Well, I'm very excited to try this soap and let it just take control of my shower time. I was recently thinking of do you ever go to the Korean.
Speaker 2: Spah I've only been once, but I loved it.
Speaker 3: You go to we Spaw.
Speaker 2: It wasn't we Spa. It was like a it was a women's Korean Spas birthday.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah it was.
Speaker 4: It was really nice and I was really proud of myself because you had to be like fully naked and it's not it's not really my situation. I run past the mirror, you know, like that's how I get into the shower. And my friends were just like, can you believe it?
Speaker 2: We're all here naked, And I was like, guys, we can't talk about it. I did it, and I'm glad that I made Like I made this happen.
Speaker 3: What a moment of growth.
Speaker 4: We cannot acknowledge that we're all sitting here tits out, just shooting the breeze.
Speaker 2: It was so weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it took a ton of courage for me to do it the first time I could. There's no way I would be able to go with friends. I have to go alone and just be like, of course you're still naked in a room full of Yeah, but if you know the people right, I wouldn't be able to hold a normal conversation. Oh.
Speaker 2: They were just yickdy yackety.
Speaker 3: Some people are so lucky to just be that good in their own skin.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, not me, not me at all. My brain is just like Ariola, Ariola Arial.
Speaker 3: I'm so uncomfortable. But yeah, I've got I've basically gotten used to it. And they have like a body scrub that's incredible, that feels very every few years, like, oh, this is something I should do. I feel like we talked about this very early on in the podcast, and there were people get that were getting on and reviewing, Like these snobs are talking about the spot like it's thirty dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I mean listen, if it's not your thing, it's not your thing. But I'm of the mind that you should treat yourself. It's like a do it for your birthday, do it anniversary, just do something cute.
Speaker 3: You're finding nice Korean spot that's very affordable.
Speaker 4: There's also the places they have them here, but I really got into them in New York where they just do a foot massage and it's like twenty five bucks for a thirty minute foot massage.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds amazing.
Speaker 2: Love foot massage.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I mean the closest I've gotten is a pedicure, but.
Speaker 4: No, I'm going full foot. It's wonderful because you can sit on your phone while you're doing it. Of course, it's like when you're getting a massage on your back. You're like face down. You just sit in a chair. They put a little hot.
Speaker 2: Towel on your foot, they crack your toes, they like do a little punching thing. Oh, it's great.
Speaker 3: I might have to get a recommendation. I would love to get my foot massage.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Happy Feet in Brooklyn. Great name.
Speaker 3: Was that before or after the Penguin movie?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They're a season desist income a lawsuit on from one side. That is the name of the Penguin movie, right, Happy Feet. Yeah, there may have even been a Happy Feet too.
Speaker 2: Yeah there was.
Speaker 3: I mean at least there's like a tie in there, like a merchandising tie. And they could have, you know, had the penguins on their posters or no.
Speaker 2: They hadn't said I had a foot with a smile on it. It was a very scary.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't like the idea of a foot having a face, but I also don't think of a penguin having a foot. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: I think about having a little little what is that?
Speaker 2: This is a beak the bird like fins?
Speaker 3: Flippers?
Speaker 4: Yeah, flippers that close on, Elise, what do you think Yeah, a happy flipper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, happy flipper. When I think of feet, I think of toes, and I'm picturing a penguin with human feet. No. No, that's a freak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gross.
Speaker 3: It's a freak creature. Okay, well incredible, I've got my soap. I think it's time to play a game. Oh, let's do it on Elise Today's gift Master. Okay, I'm becoming such a good person in this podcast. I need a number between one and ten from you. Okay, I have to do some light calculating to get our game pieces right now. You can recommend, promote, do whatever you want with a microphone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should listen to Black History for real. I also have another podcast called let Me Fix It. You should listen to that one too. You should slide in my DMS if you work for super Goop.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is how we play gift mester. I can name three gifts, three things you can give away, and I'm named three celebrities. You'll tell me which celebrity you would give which gifts and why? Okay, Okay, the gifts were giving away today are number one A distant husband, number two a fairy tale ending, and number three a box of oranges. Okay, the celebrities will be giving them to our number one Pedro Pascal. Number two Shane Shaleen Woodley. M hmm, yeah, I think that's the only way to pronounce it. I don't know. I'm struggling with Shaleen Woodley and number three Rupert Murdoch. Interesting mix of people, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Very interesting. I would give.
Speaker 4: I would give a Shileen Woodley a happy ending or fair tale ending because she was in a bunch of those movies where she was like it was like Divergent.
Speaker 2: She was running, she was scared.
Speaker 3: She's also get she's a Divergent.
Speaker 2: She was, you know, running for her life. She was also in that movie, or she was on that show on HBO where from a Big Little Lies Big. She seems like she's always going through something. You know, she's gets to have a single mom who works two jobs. She's trying to raise her kid take him to an expensive school.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting move for her in that show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she definitely looked way too young to be somebody's mom. But you know whatever, suspending this belief. Moved into an expensive neighborhood. She deserves a fairy tale ending. And then I'm gonna say, Pedro Pascal a distant husband.
Speaker 3: Oh I like the sound of this.
Speaker 2: You know he's a zaddie. He deserves a distant husband.
Speaker 3: Kind of a husband that can occasionally they get in touch with each other and reconnect.
Speaker 4: But and a husband that's fine being in the background, because Pedro is going to be the star.
Speaker 2: He's shiny.
Speaker 3: He needs to be yes exactly.
Speaker 4: He needs a husband that is social distancing at all times and six feet behind him.
Speaker 3: Just resents everything about him.
Speaker 4: And then Rupert Murdoch, I'm going to give the Oranges because you need to get your vitamins when you in prison, you need, you know, even though you've been locked up for taking advantage of the American public.
Speaker 2: Right, shouldn't he be in jail.
Speaker 3: I mean, he should have been in jail a long time.
Speaker 2: So a lot of illegal, bad things. He's really screwed up our ar media.
Speaker 3: He's the kind of person who's like, jail's not enough, no, simply daily and so.
Speaker 2: Like Oranges, will be like the small, the small gift of his day. He'll have a hard time. He'll come back to his cell and he will eat some oranges.
Speaker 3: That's very general, rest of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to give back.
Speaker 3: I hope that the oranges are at least out of season for Ruper.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, I could do that too, because you know, there's a big gap between an out of season and in season orange. H probably my favorite and least favorite fruit really when it's in season and there's nothing better to me than an orange, Okay, but when it's out of seasons, like, why does this even exist? I was sold this product?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 3: And within the orange family, I love a blood orange.
Speaker 2: I'm into a cutie right now.
Speaker 3: Oh I love a little I love the smell when you're peeling an orange.
Speaker 4: It's also just the time that they're like pocket size. You can like throw them in your purse and you're out somewhere You're like, anybody want a CUTI And everyone's like, there's a cutty.
Speaker 2: Like it's just so. They're so fun, They're delightful. I'm a mango girl.
Speaker 3: I love a mango.
Speaker 2: Love South Florida girl, Mango all day.
Speaker 3: Do mango grow in South Florida?
Speaker 2: They sure do. I don't think they're there naturally, they're They're like the bbl of Florida fruit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, manmade ripe mango delicious.
Speaker 2: Oh so good. You can like smell it through the rind.
Speaker 3: Now are you just eating them just mango? Are you putting with something?
Speaker 2: I am a mango salsa aficionado. Interesting, love a mango salsa. My trick is to add a little minced ginger to.
Speaker 3: Chutney territory.
Speaker 4: It's a little yes, it gives it a little kick, a little bite, a little punch. Conventually, I love a mango SAUCEA put it on like a fish, throw it in with a salad.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, this is fancy.
Speaker 2: I love a sweeten to meat. That's my that is my go too.
Speaker 3: That's a yeah. Sweet meat is delicious and you have to go sweet meat.
Speaker 2: That's how you have to say it when you order it at a restaurant. Try it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nice savory with a little dash of color of your hots. I love it. Do you like a mango sticky rice? Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't think I've had that now? Is that?
Speaker 3: Is it a thaie restaurant?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I love thie. Oh you have to have this. It's like I think it's kind of probably I'll speak for Thailand. It's the official dessert of Thailand.
Speaker 2: I do you like a sticky rice? I don't think I've had a mango sticky ri.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a nice sticky rice, the mango. Then they pour like like a milk, condensed milk over it. Phenomenal thing.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I mean, as far as desserts go, I have to have chocolate in them. But that's one that I give up pass.
Speaker 2: Not a big chocolate person.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't like to hear this.
Speaker 2: I don't hate it, it's just never my first choice.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's your what's your first choice? Then?
Speaker 4: I honestly I love like a cobbler. I love a high I love a fruit with a scoop of ice cream.
Speaker 3: Oh on it, that's what I want.
Speaker 2: Like, I want that over cake.
Speaker 4: I want like something about the fruity and like the shell and the crust and all that stuff is really I love.
Speaker 3: That cobbler phenomenal. But my favorite cobbler is a BlackBerry cobbler with you ice cream. Oh you know, talk about ice cream. It but served to me. I think for the first time in two thousand and seven, and I had never tasted anything as good as this combination. Interesting.
Speaker 2: I my first choice would be a peach love a peach.
Speaker 3: C classic classic cobbler.
Speaker 2: Like a blueberry, but peach is crimalist.
Speaker 3: I don't think an apple cobbler does it for me. No, I need to bury a peach. That kind of thing works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, Apple is not giving what needs to be given.
Speaker 3: Then it's kind of like a bad apple pie. Yeah, and even of an apple pie has got to be like not my first trio. Yeah, that's got to be going at one thousand miles an hour to get my attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same.
Speaker 3: Well whatever, Okay, well, you played the game very well. Thank you very well, and it's now time to head into the final segment of the podcast, which is called I Said No Emails. People write into I Said No Gifts at gmail dot com. Every one of them is just kind of begging for answers. They want me to solve all of their problems, and I do because I'm incredible and would you help me?
Speaker 2: Yes, of course.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's get into it here. This is Dear Bridger and disreputable guest, my partner and I are about to celebrate our tenth anniversary. Congratulations, and while we aren't big gift givers with one another, this occasion feels significant enough to merit one. I've racked my brain for romantic gift ideas to little success, but I have kept returning to the fact that I would love to replace our ratty old bed linens, which we've had since we started dating. My question to you is this, would it be horribly mundane and or self serving to gift something like bed linens for an anniversary? Appreciate your wisdom and deepest apologies for the intrusion. Sean in New York. Okay, Sean, congrats on the tenth anniversary.
Speaker 4: I do think an anniversary gift is a chance to gift something that both of you will use because you're celebrating your love.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I think sheets are not a fun gift. What are you a mom getting ready to for like the kid to go off to college? Like, that's not a sexy gift. But I come up a lot their edible sheets.
Speaker 2: That's not sexy.
Speaker 3: I like the idea of edible sheets. You have the stickiest mattress in the world.
Speaker 2: Also, you haven't had new sheets in ten years.
Speaker 3: There's something wrong in this Relationshipah, these are two filthy people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gross, I think. I mean not to you know, retread. But a spa thing is like, oh interesting, that's like sexy, like a couple's massage, you know, like you guys have to spend time together in a towel or a bathrobe looking at each other all you know, misty eyed. I think that's a good a good anniversary gift.
Speaker 3: That's a nice gift. That's or nice or what.
Speaker 2: Hobbies is your partner into?
Speaker 4: Right, like not saying this is what it is, but it's like this is when you buy someone like new golf clubs or something.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting. Now I want you to read the distant husband. It's time to start.
Speaker 4: Well, just like helping them level up and you're showing that you like, you know, appreciate their hobbies and you like listen to what they're excited about.
Speaker 2: Right, that's what you have to do. Ask TikTok. TikTok's been listening. They'll tell you what's again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure there's a like tenth anniversary TikTok.
Speaker 2: Would you tell them to Tom saying.
Speaker 3: Get the sheets? Really, I think sheets can be sexy. I think there's an inherent sexiness to a sheet, and also just coming from a place of Oh, I need a huge excuse to spend any money. Tenth anniversary. Okay, I can spend seventy dollars now on sheets.
Speaker 4: No, get a massade for seventy dollars. Do not buy seventy dollars sheet.
Speaker 3: There's seventy dollars go to bed for sheets. I just think that's expensive.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, twenty five dollars. You're not wearing the sheets out. They don't have ninestones on them, like what what happened?
Speaker 2: No, if you want if you first of all you need new sheets, no, we can agree on that, go buy new sheets. But not as an anniversary gift. We were together ten years sheets absolutely not.
Speaker 3: No, So you're saying by the sheets the next day? Yeah, by wait, get the points together.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Wait for a holiday, a Labor Day sale something like that, like those exist, I'm sure, but not as an anniversary give.
Speaker 3: We do love a labor day, President's Day ye, bedding sale, Yes, buying them before those? You're not thinking.
Speaker 2: Democracy is hanging in the ballast, But not these saving.
Speaker 3: Exactly why else have one of those holidays, if not to get a decent discount on a mattress or shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly. I wait for all of those holidays to make purchases. Not an anniversary or go to like a fancy restaurant and like, you know, do that, which is like kind of stereotypical, but you're not going to go wrong with like you know, getting a reservation at a coveted place and telling them as your anniversary and then bringing out, you know, a candle and a sparkler and you know, making the thing up a table.
Speaker 3: The in New York, where should they go?
Speaker 2: Ooh, I really loved I don't think the standard exists, but I loved the rooftop at the Standard.
Speaker 3: A rooftop anniversary meal. That sounds nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it was like this enclosed glass thing so you could see all around the same it's called the boom Boom room. Oh, it was so cool and like it was like gold. I don't yeah, I don't think it's there anymore, but yeah, go to something like a hotel that has a restaurant. I feel like are always nice because you get like beautiful views and you can get like a nicer, higher end meal.
Speaker 3: That's fine, right, and then maybe like the waiter brings out the dessert and you've hidden new sheets in the dessert. That feels right.
Speaker 2: Your sheets are just covered in chocolate syrup.
Speaker 3: I just had an anniversary dinner in New York and went to don Angie. Have you heard of this place?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Incredible? Okay? Well, Italian food, Okay, I mean I just couldn't believe what I was eating.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 4: Italian is safe for an anniversary. You don't want to take You don't want to do something like out of your comforts.
Speaker 3: Right, you need to You need a nice, secure cuisine that you both appreciate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like, don't go to some like weird fusion restaurant. Right, do not do fusion on an anniversary. That's for a Wednesday night? Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's risky experimental, but yeah, I think an anniversary dinner at either the Boom Boom Room or don Angie. The sheets are stepped into a piece of cheesecake if.
Speaker 4: You if you insist on getting the sheets, put it together in like a little basket situation, so it's like sheets and like a little lavender sashchete to go under your pillow or like that little spray that you spray that like helps you go to sleep.
Speaker 3: You know, like what's that sounds like something you would use on a spot.
Speaker 4: It's like a little spray that has someone lavender you sprayed on your pillows is how you go to sleep.
Speaker 2: And maybe put some like little slippers in there, like give them a little robes, smatching robes that are initialed and embroidered, you know what I mean. Like it's not sheets.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, I'm giving you the full pack at home, like right, love package.
Speaker 3: Now that makes more sense. You hide what you need within a package.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And maybe you put some little candies or.
Speaker 3: You know, a little Jordan almond for example. That feels like a good gift. Candies, a basket of cuties. Oh you're eating cuties in bed? Yes, incredible, Yes, orange rinds everywhere.
Speaker 2: I love this for you.
Speaker 3: We've answered Sehn's question beyond perfectly. We've saved the relationship and Sean don't write back in Uh incredible. I'm so excited to try my news. So I've had such a wonderful time time. Oh, thank you for having me, thank you for being here and listener. The podcast is now screeching to a halt. The wind didn't get in the way. I don't even know if you've got to hear the wind. That's not my fault. Get going, I love you, goodbye, I said, no gifts is an exactly right production. It's produced by our dear friend Annalise Nelson, and it's beautifully mixed by Ben Holliday. And we couldn't do it without our guest booker, Patrick Kottner. The theme song, of course, could only come from miracle worker Amy Mann. You must follow the show on Instagram at I said no gifts. I don't want to hear any excuses. That's where you get to see pictures of all these gorgeous gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see pictures of the gifts?
Speaker 2: Hello? Invit did you hear fun a man?
Speaker 1: Myself perfectly clear? But you're a guess, Tom. You gotta come to me empty And I said, no gifts. Your presences presence enough. I'm already too much, So how do you dare to survey me