Speaker 1: Like that's who. That's how I was athlete, and it fucked me up like big time. You know, Whereas I think people who can just be like it's in God's hands now, like I'm just out here. I'm just like an instrument for God, those are the people who end up on the super Bowl, because that's a much better way to think about how, you know, how you have to operate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that guy who took acid, he was like and like pissed a perfect game. Yeah, he just like, yeah, acid superpowers took over my body and it was perfect.
Speaker 1: He also walked like seventeen people.
Speaker 3: It was surely one of the worst best performances of all time. He hit like eight people. But when he was so bad, he was so bad that nobody could hit him.
Speaker 1: I mean he did win the game, and I has a no hitter but well Ark of Ohio and I said unintentionally.
Speaker 4: So that's one of my favorite stories of all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Doc Jellows, none of the greats. Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three, seventy six, Episode four of Ice Stay production of iHeart Radio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into america shared consciousness and it is Friday, February twenty first, twenty twenty five. How's everybody doing with a February?
Speaker 4: Do you just go full February February?
Speaker 1: February? I like make a slight nod to the first r even though I don't. I feel like it should be February.
Speaker 4: I used to just I used to separate, say February February.
Speaker 1: It's got a real rural juror thing to it.
Speaker 3: February Black History month, got the short end of every stick or the hardest fucking month to say. Nobody knows how to spell. People be misspelling February with regularity.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, January.
Speaker 5: Was all year. February went way too fast.
Speaker 1: We're flying were it was too quick. January felt like the rise up of the roller coaster. And now we're.
Speaker 4: Flying where we going to draw.
Speaker 1: And not just people in airplanes, they're falling out of the sky, but everybody feels that way. I feel like anyways, Uh, Friday clapping, Start clapping everybody and clap your feet. Starts a miracle ground that's beast to a miracle. My name is Jack O'Brien aka wood Rice.
Speaker 6: Spilled a my thighs on a kiddy ride Dan Wooter Rice spilled in a place that I could and high that was Waterloo Abba courtesy of Rezik on the discord.
Speaker 1: You know, you try to get vulnerable with your listeners one time two years ago, and they're still making fun of me for it. I came off a scary ride. We were talking about scary rides and just rides in general before we started recording. Came off a scary ride, noticed that there was wetness on my pants, and I absolutely certain I hadn't pissed my pants, but I don't know. I still have no explanation for where the wetness came from. So I just said that it was from wood Rice, that somebody had spilled on the ride before I got on.
Speaker 4: Somebody came and it tripped.
Speaker 1: Someone came, somebody who's freak is like, yeah, going upside down. They can't help themselves. I can't help it. Yeah, that's also a possibility. It was the Jersey Shore. So I think the equal equal odds that it was wood Rice. It's hairtel, Yeah, it's nothing, it's just hair gel. Mom here, jail. Yeah. When I went saw something about Mary with my mom, she turned to me at that point and said, what's he looking for? After he like jacks off and is looking for his load. He's looking for his load, Mom, he just jacked Anyways.
Speaker 3: It was the most unrealistic part of it. Let me tell you something. Let me tell you something. I know you got to introduce me. But we men feel what to come is.
Speaker 1: We feel it. We feel it.
Speaker 3: We feel like a second sense, we got a second say. Well, you know we come on ourselves.
Speaker 4: We feel it. We feel every drop that hits our stomach and chest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do feel like the hear he's crazy. There must be some part of the something about Mary Lore where he has something where he lost feeling in his ear at some point.
Speaker 3: When I saw that, when I was younger, I was like, that's funny that could happen. And as I got older, I was like, that is the most unrealistic shit I ever seen.
Speaker 5: I wish that this train of thought would just stop running down this track. But Jack, if your mom has never seen where it goes, do you have like eight hundred and sixty two siblings or I'm so so I don't want to be thinking about this either. I'm so sorry to your mom. This is not how I You know, Mom, if you're listening my mom, and you are any moms.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, never a drop waisted among the Irish Catholics. This is also not something I want to be saying right now. We are thrilled to be joined in our second seat by an award winning podcast host, writer, producer, comedian, actor, hosts the must see live comedy show, comedian Clash Nay, comedian Feud. Welcome back to this show. Today's guest co host Jackie's Neo.
Speaker 7: Know.
Speaker 3: We've been here from the set out confine, confining when I step out in these streets.
Speaker 4: These streets, the streets, What up, Negross? How we doing? Shout out? Shout out?
Speaker 3: Gross face killer on the discord, sending me a little AKA nobody sends me AKA is no more?
Speaker 4: And I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: And they should as shredded by h They should one of my favorite singers.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: And he's to come up with these things off the top of the dome. Now, yeah, my brain ain't as quick as it used to be.
Speaker 1: Four years ago. One of the best doing it in I Love Discord. Jaquith's thrilled to be joined in our third seat. Hell yeah by another one of our favorite all time guests on TDZ hilarious stand up comedian, comedy writer, actor, fashion icon, whose shirts are available at Guarantee Surance dot com. It's Caitlin Gil but I'm not well.
Speaker 5: I'm staylan Gil. I've got nothing else. But I thought that that was the loudest momff thing I can do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I yeah, little beaut but I'm not low And it's all right. I'm Caitlin Gill. You know. There, there you go, Caitlin. So wonderful to have you back. How have you been.
Speaker 5: Such a thrill to be here?
Speaker 4: I've been well.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: Listeners may recall from many many moons ago that I am. I live in a desert compound. I live out in the high desert in California on five acres of aggressive plants, and life is pretty nice out here. It's pretty good.
Speaker 4: What what what's the weather like in the desert.
Speaker 5: Right either too cold or too hot? And right now we are comfortably in between. We have a few weeks of weather where it feels easy to be outside. But that's just their to tempt it to betray you in coming times. In March and then in April, you can fry an egg on your hand outside of snows.
Speaker 4: It does in California.
Speaker 5: Yes, so I'm outside of Joshua Tree Okay, yeah, yes, twenty nine palms if you were a zero in They.
Speaker 1: Talk about how people moved to New York because there's like these two glorious weeks on either end of like winter and summer, where it's just you know, spring and fall, and it's like the best time to be anywhere ever, and like that is shrunk down in the desert too. It's like fifteen seconds on some days as the sun sets, like a shadow sweeps across and it's like that was pleasant. Okay, there it goes.
Speaker 5: I went to humble Ce University, which I always now cal Humboldt, which has their orientation week in October, the one week when it is not raining out of there are fifty one other weeks of rain. They just really bring you up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's great, it's great to have you here. It is great to sound thank you.
Speaker 5: This is where horseshoe politics comes to life, where if you follow your pull out philosophy far enough, you wind up in the same place, which is apparently eyeing your neighbor warily through your fence.
Speaker 3: That's uh there, Yeah, yes, yeah, like mister Wilson on Home Improvement.
Speaker 5: Yeah, essentially, yeah, you never see each other, but you know that the other one's there.
Speaker 4: They're always there.
Speaker 1: Mister Wilson always hid his face for a reason. You know.
Speaker 5: About here too.
Speaker 1: On January.
Speaker 4: It's like, I ain't nobody don't know how I love.
Speaker 1: All he has to do is change his hat, his hat completely throw the FBI off as scent.
Speaker 3: I don't watch sitcoms that much anymore because they're not as popular as they used to be.
Speaker 4: Barely exists as they barely exist.
Speaker 3: But what a fun sitcom trope is that you have a character why the entire run, who never.
Speaker 4: Shows his face. That's such a funny trope. I love that so much.
Speaker 5: You know, he in the hour long dramas I'm a Murder, she wrote girl, and you never see Sheriff mort Metzger's wife and they can't, And I have created in my mind about who and what she is. Is long, I can write some extensive fan fiction of selling Clyde.
Speaker 1: Is his wife Wilson from his Wife Improvement.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm going to say there is a universe in which that is not far off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think his wife is the black lady from Tom and Jerry that we never saw her face, Okay, but we only saw her from the bottom down, which I know was done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, anything you wanted.
Speaker 4: Anything could be anything we wanted to be.
Speaker 1: Wilson. The actor who played Wilson was actually many actors that they just kept killing and replacing. Okay, you hear about Lassie, Like in the fifties, they're like last ye was actually a compositive fifteen different dogs because they kept throwing the dog actors down wells or whatever anyway, or Lassie, poor Lassie. Uh, it's great to have you both here. We're going to get to know you, Caitlin a little bit better in a moment. First, a couple of things we'll be talking about later on. People, and this is gonna this is gonna surprise you guys. People seem to be fleeing the United States. Wow, for some reason? What exactly? So we'll just look at that and wonder and just ask that, wait what huh? Specifically, scientists Germany is looking at the US as a new talent pool as science goes out of fashion among the ruling class in the in the US. So we'll talk about that and whether there are any historical precedents for that. Talk about Delta that they're making a generous offer. This episode brought to you by Delta. They're making a generous offer to those passengers who happened to be on that flight that belly flopped and then flipped over, but they all survived, so maybe they should just think about it as like an extra fun like people go, people pay to go on rides like that. I don't know what everybody's being so weird about, but anyways, they made an offer of thirty K to the passengers who almost died on that, Like, hey, what do you think. It's take it or leave it, no strings attached, So we'll talk about whether that's a good deal or not. All that will probably talk about Amazon taking over control of the James Bond franchise. But first, Caitlin, we do like that. Yeah, that's why I was asking you if you're a Bond fan in Okay, Amazon, Jeff Bezos, one of my favorite creative minds, Jeff Bezos, has taken over the James Bond Bezos Production Bezos Production. Caitlin, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are.
Speaker 5: So just last night I was I did a deep dive on the Children of the Bride cinematic universe. It is a made for television movie series, a vehicle for Rue mclanahy in which he marries scandalously a much younger man first portrayed by Patrick Duffy. But don't worry, none of the actors repeat in any of the series. There are a few. I mean, Christy McNichol was in every single season, but Children of the Bride spawned Baby of the Bride because Rue McClanahan has a very romantic honeymoon and winds up pregnant at the same time as her daughter. Christy McNichol, you who used to be a nun and then Mother of the Bride the third installment in the series, in which are unlucky and love daughter manages to marry a cop. It is a wild ride. Any fans of Mystery Scidence Suitor Who's three thousand who followed them to rift Tracks might know that it is also rifted by Bridgett and Mary Joe, some of my favorite riffers. But it is utterly absurd. It's madness. I love every single second of it cannot get.
Speaker 4: Enough ARTI's horror based or like science thriller.
Speaker 5: They're very hallmarks. So in a sense they are horfying and a little bit of a science fiction. But no, they're just they're just canned ridiculousness.
Speaker 1: Also there these are drama television film together.
Speaker 5: They're they're rom coms. Definitely.
Speaker 4: There's like a subbling.
Speaker 5: Dance party to to a very bad cover of I.
Speaker 4: Will Survive and Want.
Speaker 5: There's Uh, Christian mcnicholl falls for a bad boy biker who talks a lot.
Speaker 3: About was Miranda Cosgrove in one of these movies? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yes, I think, because Okay, so that's an actual mother of a bride that's in a real movie. So Miranda cos Grove, Rachel Harris, Chad Michael Murray are in an actual movie called Mother of the Bride. Uh, these are not these are not actual movies. Uh, these are absurd not not regular movies.
Speaker 1: And you can still find them, uh if yes.
Speaker 5: I don't know where else they would be searchable beyond the riff tracks universe, but that is where I found them, and that was where I watched them too many times extensively.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a wild move to start. Start the franchise with Children of the Bride, where the cheeky title is, uh, she's marrying someone so young it could be her son. That's the child of the Bride, and it's like, okay, that's kind of uncomfortable, but it's like an older lady and the man's just like younger. And then the sequel is Baby of Baby.
Speaker 5: Of the Bride, where Patrick Duffy is replaced by Ted Shackleford, so the husband switches. For the last two films, Ruth's husband is played by Ted Shackleford.
Speaker 1: New husband, new husband.
Speaker 4: We just.
Speaker 5: Uh huh oh yeah, just new actor. These are TV movies. There's no continuity here. In fact, the part of the premise is like that each movie starts with a voiceover for Rue being like, this is the house I raised my children and I was married. By the third movie, it's a totally different house, like that location was just already booked or something. And yes, I have watched it enough to know for short that it is not the same house from the first two movies. Patrick Duffery, Tuffy, Ted Shackelford switch. Anybody would notice, but you really have to be a connoisseur of the series to observe that that house is not at all the same as the one they've filmed the first to it.
Speaker 3: Are all these in the universe of the Steve Martin, Father of the Bride.
Speaker 5: Uh I would like to think that there is like a crossover here, and like I kind of want all the Hallmark movies to exist in the same universe. Like every ancillary character you see through a window is having a beat cute like they've been separated since high school and he's an executive and she's a baker or something, and they to save the rec center or whatever.
Speaker 1: If every movie is like the subjective experience of one of the characters in it, these are just movies in the same universe, but from the subjective experience of like a much stupider person from that family.
Speaker 5: These are from nineteen ninety, ninety one and ninety three.
Speaker 1: So like right around the time time, probably like trying to cash in on Father of the Bride.
Speaker 5: Maybe, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: It was early nineties. This might have maybe Father of the Bride was trying to cash in on.
Speaker 4: This maybe Father Yeah, Father Bride was ninety one.
Speaker 5: See this is why we deep dive. Now I need to look at the production teams and see what kind of crossover there was between writing production studios, Like who you know who tried to run with the Hallmark presence for Thiney Won for Father of the Bride could have been in production. I'm going to say that The Children of the Bride was made over about a week and a half. I'm gonna say Father of the Bride could have already been in production at the Maybe it's an arm again deep impact issue where you know, every studio just had to have one in one of the studios was Hallmark in this case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think from a historical perspective, it's probably like some of the younger listeners might not remember a time when like TV movies were a thing, And I do like that they were just bat worst movies made by TV for TV, and they I think they probably had something to do with why TV was so looked down on for so definitely like they were like, you know, for a long time, there was like, well, I'm a movie actor, I would never do TV, like until fairly recently, until you know, prestigeous stream became a thing in prestige.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think to go back to.
Speaker 1: That these were the reason because they were like, we've seen what movies that you try to make look like you guys, Yeah, they're really great. They're terrible.
Speaker 5: It's so much fun.
Speaker 1: Caitlin, what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 5: Uh, something I think is underrated. This one's serious. Don't worry. My overrated will be ridiculous. City council meetings. Okay, So I live in a small town. Although it has a huge military base and an entrance to a national park, there's about four people that consistently attend city council meetings. Cannot recommend it highly enough. Most important politics are local. I bet where you live you can go just two city council meetings even and uh feel like you might be able to make an impact in your immediate environment. Even if you're in Los Angeles, I mean, I'm on the West Coast, pick a big city. Wherever you are, your city council is probably very busy, but there's always all kinds of commissions and boards, and they'll have to have public meetings so you can go and observe what's actually happening on the ground level. So your local politics are very accessible and I highly recommend jumping in with both feet. Kind of fascinating. So it feels like a good thing to do, right and it has a direct political impact on your community. That's cool. But also you can just like live for the drama. Like if you want to bring yes some hot Instagram tea into real life, you can definitely witness it in real time. But using Roberts strolls of order, it is fascinating, So go for the impact. Go because it feels like the right thing to do, but like, stay for the drama because worth worth it.
Speaker 4: I love it to you.
Speaker 1: So you go to these and do you participate or you just.
Speaker 5: Kind of do yes, So expect all yell more about this later. But I do still make T shirts. You can go check those out if you want to. Although I switching the screen printing so slowly, but surely they'll get even better. But what I actually do out here all the time is astronomy tours. Every time I come on, I've started a new business. I feel like I'm pushing MLMs, but I swear I'm not idea jo Astronomy Adventures is my own love thing. So I started a business out here. I have telescopes. I take them in the national park and show off stars and stuff.
Speaker 4: I might hit you up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come on out.
Speaker 1: Oh man, is it child safe?
Speaker 5: Six it up is a good idea. A younger than six has no idea. They're on a planet. Once I hit six and above, they're like exiting dinosaur phase, entering space phase. So that's kind of a cool one. Not to catch it is the exact opposite of a comedy show, where like children actually bring a wonderful energy that catches among the adults, and it's like beneficial. Do not bring your children to comedy shows.
Speaker 1: My children.
Speaker 3: They give great feedback, great notes I bring my babies to. I don't even have babies. I just find a baby bring them.
Speaker 5: That sounds really cool.
Speaker 3: But also to the city council point, it is it is something that I think, uh, we especially because you know, federal and big politics gets most of the media attention. And I'm not saying unrightfully so, but I do feel like we often hear like how important local politics are, but it's very easy to not follow through with the importance of them. So I think it's dope to like, actually here, going to your city council meeting and like pushing that and like talking about that, And you know, in LA, I feel like we definitely have gotten a little bit better with local politics and things like that. But yeah, I think it's a great thing.
Speaker 4: That's so dope.
Speaker 5: At least City Council is going to be packed, it's going to feel big. But LA has a billion commissions and committees and entities that have others. So follow the threads of whatever you're curious about. If you like are planning, there's a planning commission. If you like arts, there's an arts commission. There's always something to kind of go weasel in on. But I do own a tiny business and a tiny town, and there are a lot of reasons why it makes sense for me to try to meet people and get involved. But I found it quite rewarding in a time when it is very easy to feel powerless, finding the things that help you feel like you're have some momentum, you're moving forward, like you can actually have an impact on what's happening around you is grounding. Feels good.
Speaker 1: And there's no like massive lobbying interests. I bet you can like buy a politician for like seven fifty. Oh it's so you can buy one.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's wild how much the smaller the town, the more important it is that you go to these meetings right, and the more direct your impacts can be. And you know, I live in a very conservative place. I know for sure that my city council will split ideologically, but the way people are just happy to see you there. You know, I know that people who voted against my entrances interests a human being are holding a door open for me, being like, thank you something you're gonna get you with your existence, and yet please speak for three minutes. I'm begging you you can. It's an interesting when you disagree on a national level, you still need to figure out if you're going to put lights on that stop sign, like together. So I don't condone in any respect working directly with fascists, but figuring out if you're going to get lights on that stop sign is an interesting way to meet people in your community, in a way to just find some kind of dialogue back and forth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if they're going to start doing fascism at a local level.
Speaker 6: Better gotta be there more blad ladies.
Speaker 5: Carrying leathermen that are in the room. The less likely that is to happen.
Speaker 1: So let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll hear you're overrated, and we'll get into some news. We'll be ready.
Speaker 5: Don't worry, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And we're back and Caitlin gil we do like to ask our guest, what is something that you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: Stop putting so much stuff on French fries. They send the bone as a delicious side. They do not TV. So this is the West Coast problem that I feel like exists everywhere. But if you've gone to an In and Out Burger, you are aware that you can order an animal fry, which is all the animal style stuff on fries that includes cheese, grilled onions, the sauce. I feel like pickles are incorporated somehow.
Speaker 7: Please stop, get the burger, eat the friesllyf there was like a Windy's In and Out Universe crossover and you said, here's a baked potato and there's lots of good stuff on it.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 5: Interested, Please tell tell me more about this product. Fries are fried, fried is crispy?
Speaker 1: Do not?
Speaker 5: And I know in and Out fries or devicess in and of themselves, they are not the crispiest of fries. Which is why it's even more important that you do not throw a bunch of stuff on top of them, dip the fry and the ketchup, minimize the contact time with anything liquid in nature, and then consume the fry.
Speaker 4: I do like a dip fry. I don't like.
Speaker 3: I don't like, I don't I hate ketchup. I do barbecue, sauce, Cheese, you gotta. I don't mind cheese on the fry.
Speaker 5: But I'm not right about this, Like, if you disagree with me, you're not wrong. I just I personally feel like fries should be preserved in their holy state.
Speaker 3: Please so Victor, Victor asks the question, I'll ask his question, and I'll ask my question. One he asks his poutine too much?
Speaker 5: Has never wanting to offend a Canadian. I'm gonna say that, no, it isn't. You can so much.
Speaker 4: You could say yes. He doesn't have a microphone, so he can't say that.
Speaker 1: I would never do this, But.
Speaker 5: My perfect poutine would be like a little gravy warmer and and kurds on the side to assemble it myself. It's just what I want.
Speaker 3: No correct is wrong about food.
Speaker 5: I also feel like Patina's the big flat steak fries, which is a whole different conversation.
Speaker 3: I get you now now for like them of the fry, I get that, Like, no, listen, just give me the fry, But what about season what about uh huh yeah?
Speaker 5: Secretly at all the best fries are the weird, like the ones that come frozen with the crack tu like seasoning on the outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cuts good.
Speaker 3: But there's about the ones that look like they got like they're the orange, like they need to go to the dermatology.
Speaker 5: But you yes, yeah, that's an excellent fry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like I'm trying to think of who has fries like that? Like, uh, do you remember like maybe not. I was gonna say, do you remember like Checkers or Rallies fries?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Ye, yeah.
Speaker 4: Have like some of the fries have some of that. Yeah, some of that a little bit too. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeahs all right, So as long as we get listen, I'm with you. As long as we get seasoning on the fries, all the extra shit shouldn't.
Speaker 5: It's very fair that you ask. Our reputation regarding seasoning is deserved of very use it extensively in my own cooking.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, all right, but I've been mayonnaise is way too spicy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you gotta try water Man.
Speaker 5: Fries.
Speaker 4: Water fries.
Speaker 5: You just spoke something in the existence on TikTok that.
Speaker 1: Out. I do. I do love poutine. I think I do generally disagree with this take. I will say that every time I've had cheese on fries, the cheese congeals to like it never quite works out the way I'm hoping for it too.
Speaker 4: You gotta be good ches. It gotta be the good cheese.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got.
Speaker 5: To be the good bad cheese. It's got to be like melted Nato container cheese.
Speaker 1: That's I mean, it needs to be the unnatural color of Yeah.
Speaker 4: Portillo the best cheese fries. But but it's dip. You dip them. Now, they give you a cup of cheese and you dip your fries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure. I'm sure Chicago has this down to us science.
Speaker 5: No, here's where the hippocrisy comes in. Many excellent taco trucks offer the loaded fries with all the taco fae the burrito items on the fries, don't. I'm not into it. But give me a California brito with fries in it. I'm on board.
Speaker 4: Yes, put no, got you?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: So you like spits? They do their Euros with fries.
Speaker 5: I'm into it. I can get this.
Speaker 4: I'm on board with which is very good. I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do think they need to be crispy fries though, right like you can't.
Speaker 5: Yes, and the Christmas is going to dissipate the longer you enjoy them. It's the real first bite phenomenon.
Speaker 1: That structurally challenges me to eat it as fast as possible.
Speaker 4: That's before up the challenge worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah. McDonald's fries being I think the number one thing that goes bad with time. Oh yeah, God, they're so good straight out of the friar though. All right, speaking of out of the friar, I don't know. I can't. I can't make this transition work into the roasting into the roasting pan. We seem to be seeing the early signs. According to the New Republic, the people, nay scientists, even are planning to flee the United States to greener pastures. They they noted, and I don't know why they picked this historical detail out, but I'm just gonna read from this report, or I'll read from the New Republic summarizing report in Der Spiegel, the German news magazine, reported that the Max Planck Society, one of the world's top scientific research institutions, is experiencing an uptick in applications from American scientists. It's president said the society regards the US as a quote new talent pool at a time when the Trump administration seeks to cut billions in funding to the National Institutes of Health. There's a deep historical irony in these recent developments. During the Third Reich, it was the max Planck Society, then known as the Kaiser Wilhelm Society that lost its best and brightest to the US and other countries, including Albert Einstein. Huh, I don't know, just a random just a random historical anecdote there, I guess, yeah, just.
Speaker 5: A coincidence, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: But there's also, you know, there's this spike in searches for dual citizenship. Law firms that specialize in people seeking dual citizenship by dissent are like being flooded with people reaching out. But we're also seeing immigrants from Africa, Venezuela and the Middle East. We're apprehended fleeing to Canada from the United States, which I think we're going to probably see more and more of I'm very luckily taking a long look at Mexico. But yeah, I just think American exceptionalism is going to have a difficult time making sense of what the new normal is going to be in these in these next years, and that like they have to be worried about Americans fleeing. I mean, they're they're solving Trump's problem for you know, he's so worried about overpopulation or underpopular or whatever. He his justification is first, well, it's.
Speaker 5: A little bit of both, right, it's over some populations, under some populations.
Speaker 4: See, yeah, he's worried that we're getting less white.
Speaker 3: Oh, really worried about And then you know, but yeah, this is this is interesting. I I you know, I'm thirty eight now, and you know, for most of my adult life, I've never considered like living anywhere else outside of the country. But over the past like five years, as I've traveled a lot more outside of the country, and then this country has always been terrible. I'm very happy that white people are starting to see how terrible this country has been for a millennia. It feels like but like, but the feasibility of what we were told when we were younger, that like you can only have the best life in America. And because I'm like, racism is gonna be anywhere I go. But if I can like go somewhere where like some things are better than how they are being presented here, Like it's becoming more of an option. And it's just like and I think a lot of people are feeling that way. You know, it's you know, the planet is fucked. But the thing that is annoying is we seem to have people on this part of the world, in this country that our hell bent on making life worse for so many people, just from like a class standpoint, like yeah, and you know, and that's when that's when things really start to when you start to fuck with people's money, then that's when they start to realize how bad things are. But like it's getting pretty bad. Whereas to the point where it's like, yo, man, we can't even get health insurance, we can't even get like this, that and that. I was in Japan last year and like their trains ran, their buses and trains ran to the time that it's saying on Google Map, we can't even get on time public transportation in America, Like, I didn't even know that was possible. And I grew up in Chicago, where we had a lot of public transportation. I didn't even know it was possible for a bus to be at the bus stop at eight forty five. When they said it was gonna be there a forty five, I just was like, Oh, traffic dictates that's not the case. But for some reason other places I figured this out, like it's oh, it is so crazy, and we're going to see a lot more people leave. I think because this dream that we've been like given that things are going to be the best that they could possibly be here has been flawed for many years, and people are starting to see that a lot more, especially we have racists and Nazis in office.
Speaker 1: Basically, yeah, I think that, you know, safety and opportunities like seem to be the two things that people are going to respond to. And I feel like people probably starting to feel much less safe as planes are falling out of the sky and various parts of the infrastructure breakdown. And but I think the opportunity that the thing America has always preded itself on as being the land of opportunities, but as the entire infrastructure is being vandalized by the president, and you know, just all opportunities are being funneled up where to people who are already billionaires. I think will probably start to see people, you know, act the way you would expect them to to that filt.
Speaker 5: We've missed so many historical contexts and clues in this country, Like it's fun to remember that, like the rationalization for fascism was at least the trains run on time, Like that was the minimum bar that fascist leaders had to hit in order to keep its populous calm, because at least they could get to their terrible jobs that did not give them enough to sustain themselves without an awful commute, Like that was the minimum bar, and somehow we can't we can't even hit that, Like you know, fascist leaders rise and fall, and the trains still run on time. In democracies, it doesn't that wasn't them. What type of system you have doesn't determine how good your public transportation is. It's the commitment you make. It's a very it's amazing to me how badly we've failed for decades to provide for people's basic needs. It's just a lot easier to see when the leader is so scary, the rhetoric has dropped out of the office that's supposed to make you feel good about where we were working together to live toward a greater future. Used to be something that you'd hear from the pulpit of the presidency, and now it's like the mass deportations. Now it definitely changes. The tone has changed, and now the glisten has gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I used to hit potholes in the street when Obama was in office, I used to be I was like, this is.
Speaker 5: An opportunity, an opportunity proof.
Speaker 3: Now I'm like, man, fuck this country.
Speaker 5: It's also very ironic that it's the Plank Institute that is, or the Plunk Society that is seeing an uptaken interest from American scientists. The telescope, there's there's a Great Observatory Capital g Capital. There's a telescope in space that did its work in the earlier oughts, But there's a telescope in Plank that was meant to image the cosmic microwave background to the CMB, which is like the biggest evidence we have to support the theory of the Big Bang. There's it's essentially looking at the microwave radiation that fills all space. It's a fascinating image. It looks like a trapper keeper the It's just funny that the society that's reporting, like essentially saying they're seeing more interest from American scientist is the one that actually supports one of the most controversial theories to the theocracy that is looking to take root in America. Like, not a surprise that the people who actually believe in the evidence presented by scientists about the start of our universe are like, maybe I should go Maybe I'm gonna end up. I'm gonna go look at this institute.
Speaker 1: That actually is following science. Yes, yeah, I mean every successful like scientific endeavor like that is good marketing for you know. It's like, well, look what they're doing over there. Meanwhile, like NASA did that really cool thing where they altered the trajectory of that comment. Yes, Dike made sure. Yeah, And now like Elon Musk is like, we that didn't happen. We have no defense against a city killing asteroids. It's just it's like they're going out of their way to just make it a worse place for scientists, which feels like a bad strategy for theaters of a country.
Speaker 3: It does, especially since like Elon Musk has gotten his entire fortune stealing from scientists. Yeah, yeah, what.
Speaker 1: Are you talking about. He's our greatest scientist, right, he's he's iron Man.
Speaker 5: Well directly from taxpayers funding bizarre science and a form of defense contracts.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, I do just want to mention, because we were talking about trains running on time. The one piece of good news that we have seen in the past months in this on this show was New York Times New York City's congestion pricing, where they created a toll that was going to cost people money for driving in cities. It was a thing that like we had seen really turn some urban landscapes around, turn other cities around. They put it in place at the beginning of this year, and people are like, I can actually hear the birds in New York again, like the you can actually get from one place to another. The buses started running on time for the first time that anybody could remember, and Trump is I called it at the time. I was like, I don't think the capitalists are going to want to see this succeed, Like, I don't think they'll let this succeed because it's too clear to just like plainly evident that like, oh, when you have laws that actually are just made on behalf of the people who live there instead of on like with the you know, oversight of corporate interests, people's lives improve in just these like tiny ways that are like some somewhat noticeable. Anyways, Trump is basically trying to cancel that program. New York City's fighting back, but yeah, it's uh, yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Pays to be the king, you know, to be the king apparently.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's openly calling himself.
Speaker 5: And trump coin. So I'm not really sure how that's gonna work out.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's gonna work out good if they have anything to say about it. Let's take a quick break. We'll be right back. And we're back. And so again, you know, people pay money to go to amusement parks. Delta gave people a free thrill of a lifetime with a passenger playing that belly flopped on landing it so hard that it flipped over onto its back. And nobody died, thank god, miraculously. And and I don't know why we're even still talking about this. Nobody died. We're good here, we died.
Speaker 4: They're all amazing.
Speaker 1: They're offering passengers thirty thousand dollars with quote no strings attached. The lawyers are being like, you should talk to an attorney before you accept that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't don't accept you can get more.
Speaker 5: They said that the taking the thirty thousand doesn't affect any lawsuit in the future, but I do not believe. Yeah, I still would have a lawyer review that fine print.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got to review that fine print before you take that money.
Speaker 3: For sure, because if you give me thirty thousand dollars and I can still sue you for five billion, Yeah, sure, got it right, give me money, I'm still gonna take you for everything you got.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: This is why I'm learning things about playing, Like there are things about planes that we all knew, Like they fly, they rise, they land, they can say.
Speaker 4: Lee explode in the air, they could crash.
Speaker 3: I didn't know a plane could flip over on Denzel movie flight. I should have, but see even then he was coming from I did. I don't know how I will say this. Maybe I don't know how the plane flipped over. Do we know how the plane flipped over? Was it in the air and then it landed on his on his landing.
Speaker 1: Belly flopped onto the ground and so hard that it just flipped over onto his side. And I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't know a plane could do that.
Speaker 1: I did get like, Delta, we should be thanking Delta. That was like great freestyle plane landing. They're showing us new things in the art of plane gymnastics.
Speaker 5: I'm early for a tweet I enjoyed, but I gotta give credit to samu Obay that he tweeted. He posted that you know what else did you expect? Other and a landing at a weird angle from an airline called Delta.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good.
Speaker 4: True's I would have told you? Would you would you? Would?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 4: Would?
Speaker 7: You?
Speaker 4: Like? Would you hold out.
Speaker 3: For more than thirty thousand because some people are like that's not enough And I'm like, if I can still SUEX.
Speaker 5: Still, it would pay for the attorney. I mean, we get to a better attorney. I suppose it's a weird like getting ahead of it in this way seems very odd to me. It's a strange number to choose, like, at least it's not thirty thousand miles. Like I don't know, I don't, I don't Their liability here is probably a little bit vague, Like I feel like the offer is because they know that a lawsuit would not be successful. Because tickets weep, I also have fine print in which the airline's basically like if we kill you, oopsies, there's not you know, the the contract you make when you buy a ticket from an airplane, you know, or an airplane. You buy a ticket from the airplane you go up to the air airplane gives you. From an airline, I have a feeling is pretty layered, but you know, it's one of those things. I just clicked the terms and conditions and buy. I had not beld the fine print on my airline on my tickets either. Although I haven't flown much because I'm six one, two forty, I'm not trying to fly coach anymore unless you're I can't. I would have been wedged into that seat seat belter not I would have been hanging upside down and nothing would have need to restrain me. I couldn't get out either way, so the people next to me. That's the one moment if I was in the middle seat that the two people next to me would have been so glad. I could have just extended my arms, and we all would have been significantly safer.
Speaker 1: I got you, guys, I got you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, safe, y'all.
Speaker 1: It is I man.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, I'm not scared. I've never been scared to fly ever. And I don't know what it will be like the next time I get on an airplane. Well, I guess I was just on a plane three weeks ago.
Speaker 8: But it's going to be it's going to be exciting, just gonna be like it's gonna be like Goliath, you know, at six at Magic Mountain. That's it's gonna be. Like I would take this thirty Here's the thing. I would take the thousand. Obviously I would read the fine print and everything like that.
Speaker 3: But if they were offering thirty thousand, you know that they really could be offering like sixty thousand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they they don't offer.
Speaker 3: They gonna start with half of what they probably they can offer a million, but they gonna start with like the lowest fucking offer that they could possibly give for what they deem is like their fault in the situation.
Speaker 1: There's a book from early aughts, maybe even late nineties, called I Think the Corporation that like covers this whole idea that has recently become more and more kind of a focus among people criticizing the US that like, corporations have legal rights as human beings and they're forced to act as psychopaths buy their bylaws because they can't take into account like whether they can't have something in their laws, or they could, but they don't have something in there, like bylaws that is like, well, if it comes to like something where we're endangering a life, then obviously we do everything in our power to not endanger that life. Instead they you know, there's been studies into like car companies and other companies that have to make those calculations of Okay, like we just found out that there's this defect on this car that is already being manufactured. We could stop the manufacturing and fix it. That would cost us three hundred million dollars, or we could let it go out, probably going to kill three to five people, and the lawsuits that those people sue us with are going to be five percent sound of that, And so we owe it to our shareholders to you know, make the financially responsible decision that kills the people like they're they're doing the trolley problem and being like fuck them kids.
Speaker 5: Essentially, almost like you need a government to regulate who's going to switch to the trolley and they can actually just instead of just letting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this book was like his book was saying this in like before Citizens United, you know, and now he has Citizens United, which made it so that like corporations are the only thing that really has any power to operate and only thing that really has any government representation.
Speaker 5: I don't know, maybe teflon in my blood just makes it less sticky, right, maybe a solid favor by making it so that literally you can't find a control sample to test the effects of teflon in our body because literally everyone they've ever tested has it. Maybe microplastics in my blin brain. Just give me tiny little plastic thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a ballpit up there, you know. Yeah, my thoughts again, planes, plane flights are not getting more dangerous, They're getting more fun and more fun. And that's ours are getting more like a bullpit. So just I don't know what everybody's complaining about.
Speaker 4: I hope that's how it happens.
Speaker 5: This is how you're the frog in the water that's slowly boiling. Well, you're just like, well, I have to fly. I'll just be excited about it. Right, Well, I'll just have slick blood. Well, I'm going to have a ballpit break. That's fine.
Speaker 1: I'm going on the next flight that I take. I'm going to raise my hands at the beginning of the flight like I'm on a roller coaster and not break them down until the end of the flight.
Speaker 3: You're land until you land, and the whole time you're just whoo.
Speaker 5: Put some of those crashing socks on your arms. That's gonna mess up your blood club.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 5: I'm so forty three.
Speaker 3: All these plain things are happening, uh like under the Trump administration, and you know, all the fine rings in the fa.
Speaker 1: FAA and everything like that.
Speaker 3: Like I hope, like I would this is the this is the petty I would be as a Democrat. I would like star running my presidential campaign now and like take over the MAGA and it's just like make aviation great again, and like just like that's what MAGA would be.
Speaker 1: There's so many ways that That's what's so mind boggling is there are so many tangible ways that people that they're you know, greed and oligarchy are affecting people's lives and the fact that like the Democrats can't get a coherent message around it is wild. Yet we'll say yet, yeah, it feels like, yes, this, this should be There should be many opportunities. This feels like the first most tangible horrifying way that we're seeing is blindly firing and you know, just government at random as just like you know, power play without without literally any planning.
Speaker 5: Cute. Yeah, waving a rule book at somebody who's long since passed on playing by any rules. It's not working and they just can't put it down. Timothy Snyder wrote, there's a author Timothy Snyder. Book is on Tyranny. Excellent, very fast read. But the section that keeps jumping into my head over and over again is don't capitulate until you have to, Like there's not you don't have to obey the rules until they are ruled. Don't get ahead of yourself, you know, because some weirdo signs an executive order that says it's the Gulf of America. That's not a law. That isn't a change. You actually don't have to relabel a map to respect that order. An order isn't you don't need to you don't need to do that. The firing strike me that same way that there's like states aren't stepping up to fill the gap that these federal firings are leaving behind. And I understand the intricacies between state and federal government, but we're past that now. The Tenth Amendment is a little bit elastic, and at this point it has been stretched to a place where like what's expected of from citizens of their government to provide the federal government is no longer providing things like safe aviation. So if a state needs to step in and say, actually, our airports do need to be fully staffed, then they need to do like you have an.
Speaker 1: Opportunity you could do that. Yeah, yeah, you don't.
Speaker 5: Have to pretend that this is a rule you have to follow, but we do. Democrats are definitely what are we supposed to do?
Speaker 1: That's what Hikeem Jefferies is, well, what do we do? It's like so many things, so many things?
Speaker 4: Motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Caitlin, Yes, it's been such a pleasure having it.
Speaker 5: It's always a treat.
Speaker 1: It's always such a treat for us. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 5: I'm on Instagram? As Kaitlyn is tall. But the follow I would love the most is at Jtree Astronomy. Our website is Jtree astronomy dot com. If you ever find yourself in the high desert, come and look at stars. Self important, yes, but science communication has never been so important. It's a great way to feel more connected to the universe around you, but also a tiny rebellion every time you take in new scientific information and share it with others. So if it's been a while since you've been able to look up and see the stars, I cannot recommend that perspective highly enough in these interesting times, I know I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 1: So do we have a celestial event coming up, like something with planet's lining up in Oh?
Speaker 5: No, yes, yes we do. The planets are always in a cool enlightenment. The Solar system is very tidy. The Sun sits in the middle, and all the planets orbit the Sun on a flat plane. We call that plane the ecliptic. So from the Earth we get a cool view where the Sun, Moon, and all the planets actually pass our view along the same line, the line we call the ecliptic. Right now, it's not that all the planets are in a line, as in one right after the other. In their orbits, they all find themselves on the same side of star. So yes, there's a whole bunch of planets out right after sunset. Saturn is kind of slipping out of the view sunsets getting a little later. Saturn appears pretty low in the western sky, so you get a few minutes of a blurry sat through a Saturn through a telescope. But Venus, Jupiter, Mars are all very easily visible. Mercury is about to join the party. Uranus and Neptune are overhead, but you definitely need a telescope for those. I have a digital scope that does a pretty cool job with Neptune, but even through a conventional scope, Neptune looks like a cool blue dot. But yes, all the planets are easy to see right after sunset. Right now, all the planet Pluto is too cool to be a planet. You'd think what makes a planet would be a hard and fast rule.
Speaker 4: It is it.
Speaker 5: It's actually a little bit more rubbery. But the one thing they kind of stick to is that if you are a planet, your orbit around your star is clear, You're essentially made of all the stuff that would have been in that path. Pluto is out there in a whole parade of objects are also ordering the Sun, objects that catch all for like literally everything again lex he is an object, and asteroid is an object, and this as asteroids. There's a whole bunch of like almost planets of stuff that was trying to become a planet, but various forces already formed in the Solar System kind of stopped that from happening. Pluto was orbiting with like thousands of other objects stuff. So Pluto's too popular to be a planet. We're just like eight with like a few hundred moons or whatever whatever. Pluto's out there with like thousands. It's got an entourage. It's just like the boss in its neighborhood, and billions of miles away from the Sun. The Sun looks like a dot. It looks like a big dot, but it's just a dot. Like our party is just not that important to Pluto. We're like eight like minutes from the sun. They're like light hours from the Sun. There, they got their own thing.
Speaker 1: I love it. I gotta come in.
Speaker 4: I got to come to one of these tours.
Speaker 5: I yell about science a lot. That's what I've been up to online. So if you want to see both me yelling about science, you can check that out to Jay Tree Astronomy or at Caitlin is Tall on the instagrams.
Speaker 1: I'm off the X.
Speaker 5: I've been off of Twitter since he did the let that sink in move. I dipped out at that point. Was I love a good pun, but let that sink in? With Elon carrying to sink his interest?
Speaker 1: He did when he just took over. Yeah, it was my.
Speaker 5: Knew the end for me. So I have not been doing much there and I'm forty four next week. So TikTok is I should be arrested if I tried to hang out on TikTok unless you're already established as a huge viral presence. I have two that's for the children, let them play. That's me hanging out alone on a playground. That's not appropriate somehow.
Speaker 1: Caitlyn is there work a media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 4: See there is?
Speaker 5: I see a lot from el Cordova, who I know. It's very popular on the YouTube and the TikTok's as well. I catch the work over on the instagram. Very fun comedian, scientist, musician. If you want to get started the way I did. Just smash El Cordova Planet Party into your keyboard and a very fun video of the planets all gathering together. There's several of them will pop up. I like the style, like the I like the humor, like the I like the sketches. They're quite funny. Nice and Samuel Bay who I mentioned earlier, very funny, always there, Jaquis.
Speaker 1: Where can people find you as their worker media you've been.
Speaker 4: Enjoying, Oh, Jack O'Brien, you can find me.
Speaker 1: In the streets, baby, I knew it.
Speaker 3: You knew it, you knew where you can find me. You can also find me at Jaqui's Neil.
Speaker 4: I do have some works in media. I got a couple.
Speaker 3: Things I'll plug for the fans right after I got two. I got two so as we know, because I know, I know everybody knows. The creator of Nutella, Francesco Rivela, has died on Valentine's Day at the age of ninety seven, right damn. And then somebody at thank you, But it's taking no time or now it's gonna come and give it, give it a couple more months. Somebody quote tweeted that no I wanted to ask him why the end was black in the Nutella sign and it's black and the rest of it is, which cracked me up.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: If we got any Severance fans out there, and I am a fan of Severance, uh, there is a hat that is being made that is making the rounds online that says your audi gets no bitches.
Speaker 4: That cracks me up.
Speaker 3: If you don't know what Severance is or don't watch it, that means absolutely nothing to you. But if you watch Severance and you know what that means, that's very fucking funny. Uh So those were making me laugh. Comedian Clash is this weekend if anybody, if anybody wants to check it out where it's a allisioned theater in Los Angeles. But I feel like, you know, I want, I want to see what the zegang really talking about because I feel like we I promote like the shows and you know, I don't know what the zeit gang is actually showing up. So I want, I want, I want, I want you all to prove me wrong. If you are not in la We got Jason Alexander and Lauren lafkuz Do in the show this month, wow, and we got a live stream going so you can live stream, you can watch it live, or you can watch it up to seven days after the live event, so you do not have to watch it live. But is this Sunday, six thirty pm Pacific Standard time. It's gonna be a fun show.
Speaker 1: Check it out.
Speaker 3: Also check out dropout TV. I'm gonna be showing up quite a bit over the next few months. We're going into production for something pretty cool and I think that is gonna be something that you might want to check out.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, hell yeah, amazing. You can find me on Twitter at jack Underscore Brian and on Blue Sky at jack Obi and then number one workI Media. I've been enjoying. Jamie Loftus tweeted the week I moved to La, my unhinged roommate pointed at Griffith Observatory and said, that's Eddie Murphy's house. And I believed it for seven years. There's something about that because I did, like know that Eddie Murphy had like an amazing house the Hills. I think I would have also believed that for a long time. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeigeist. We're at d daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage and a website, Dailyzeikeist dot com. You can go to the episode wherever you're listening to this, check out the description of the show. We'll tell you what the show's about. It also show you the footnotes, which is where we link off to the sources of the information we talked about in today's episode. We also look off to a song that we think you might enjoy. With Miles out, we usually like to ask super producer Justin Connor, what is a song that you think the listeners might enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's this Chicago based rapper named Black Sam that I've been feeling lately. He's got this slow, churning cerebral style. It's pretty mellow, but very interesting. I've shared a few tracks with Miles the other day and we were saying, it always sounds like this guy's just got done smoking a blunt, so eviould really help you ease to the weekend.
Speaker 4: So this is Kogo by Black Sam.
Speaker 2: The a's r v's instead of a's and his name, and you can find that song in the footnotes footnotes.
Speaker 1: The Daily Zeitgeist is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 9: For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio, Wrap, Apple Podcast, or.
Speaker 1: Wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's going to do it for us.
Speaker 4: This week we have a.
Speaker 9: Weekly Zeitgeist episode which is just the highlights from this week's episode, dropping tomorrow, and then we are back on Monday to tell you what was trending over the weekend and we will talk to you all then.
Speaker 1: Thank you Jackith, thank you Caitlin. Talk to you guys on Monday. By