Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Former House majority leader Eric Canter joins us now currently of Molus, and I want to start on the economy and all of these deals that we see going on. I mean, is this just an incredibly robust deals pipeline on the heels of benign economy and wide open capital markets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're right. I mean, I know, Molas. You know, our bankers are really busy as we come into the very end of the year running through the tape, and so there's a lot of dialogue. We're in the business of advising on transactions. Transactions are a tool for companies to accelerate growth, to figure out how to better position, to gain efficiencies, and as you say, there are accommodative capital markets right now too, and so we are seeing just a lot of dialogue, a lot of activity, and I think a general optimism as we come to the new year.
Speaker 2: What's interesting is in markets right now you're seeing a bit of skepticism pushback broadcom perfect example of that. We also saw that with Oracle, investors are saying you need to pay up a little bit more. As vice chair of Molus, so you're seeing that pushback in any way shape or form, or deals just coming out of the woodwork in ways that keep even your associates really busy, you know.
Speaker 3: I think if you look at the if you look at the strategic sort of universe, I mean, they are and have always had a list of where they're heading in terms of targets and the kind of deals they want to do. And certainly in the sponsor world, there are other sort of forces at work. You know, the need to recycle capital, you know, assets that may need to be to go into a continuation fund them. There are all types of different tools available for clients, investors' sponsors, strategics, and as you say, I think overall the framework in the environment is more constructive now, certainly Washington, when people look to the regulatory impact, we have sort of come out from under this very very negative regulatory outlook that we had in the prior administration.
Speaker 1: Talk a bit more about that. So when you're talking to executives about that regulatory environment, how would you describe it? I mean, we see some of these agencies where there's not a full panoply of commissioners. For instance, we heard it from the Treasury sectory. There's be some new corporate tax policies coming here into effect in the coming weeks. How much of it is still in cod or clear for you at this point of where it's headed regulatorily.
Speaker 3: You know, I think with this president and this administration, and I think there is just sort of an acceptance that you're never really going to know for certain anything because of the way that you know, the rapidity that things are about in Washington, the way that President Trump sort of approaches, you know, the power he's got in the position very unique. But I think on the whole, it's a much more constructive regulatory environment, and you just don't have this overhang that you had in the prior Biden administration, where you know, there was really an anti business sentiment and if you just remember that we'd select eons ago. But with the likes of Lena Kahn and Jonathan Canner, they were sitting in these spots in the head of the anti trust regulators and they really definitionally said, if you are bigger, that is bad, and therefore we're not really inclined to allow you to do it. Whereas this administration, it's not like it was under the Bush administration, but it's certainly much more constructive than they like to do deals.
Speaker 1: As you've watched that parade of executives going through the Oval Office, some of whom are giving up equity stakes to the US government. What are you thinking, as a lifelong Republican this kind of new new breed of Trump Republicanism that involves again, it's not derogism, but it's sort of like the state is having a heavier hand in the way that these.
Speaker 3: Pals are not. I know, David, I still remain a limited government, free market Republican and conservative. So it's obviously something very new to me to see that the government wants to take a stake in a business and or a toll if it's an export. That is something that is obviously and I think for the majority of the members that are in the Congress now, it is something that's very new. But I do think it's much more in keeping with what President Trump is about and what his career has been about about deal making. And I think if you look at sort of the Intel situation and what happened there, it was more of a response to the disdain that the White House had for the Chip Sack and just giving away moneies and instead say, hey, we need to do something for the taxpayers. Now, where I have an issue is the governance rights. You know that is you know, it's not as if the federal government has not stepped in before. I mean, you and I were down there when the Great Financial Crisis happened and a lot of bailouts. You look at the airline industry, you look at the GSCs. I mean, there's a lot of history. But the difference this Before there was always sort of a path and a known path to an excess and now not so clear.
Speaker 2: Well, this is sort of the concern is that right now, if you're putting an empersistent deal making, deregulation and potentially job owning the FED to cut rates more aggressively at a time that the economy is still chugging along, at what point are you setting up the risk of that kind of scenario once again in twenty twenty seven or twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, I think this president has been very consistent his message of growth and he wants growth, and that is the way, and that is where sort of the more traditional sort of conservative Republican can come along with the agenda, because it is we've always been about real growth comes from the private sector. And if you look at where the administration has been taking stakes, it's really in these industries that are critical to the national security. It is about AI related, it is about the rare earth's minerals. It is all about how do we go and continue to take the lead in these critical sectors Visa China and other bad actors.
Speaker 2: How do you think this administration is done with respect to messaging around affordability? This is something that has been dogging the administration quite a bit. Now we're talking about dolls and Christmas presents, but there's this issue of people aren't feeling great even though the economy is chugging around. What do you think, What do you think the Congress should be doing? How do you think the president should be messaging this? Well?
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting after the off year elections, one of which was in my state of Virginia, and the party didn't farewell, President was fairly nimble and ten days later turning around and taking the steps he did in lifting the tariffs on two hundred food items and which directly impact people when they go into the grocery store to look to prepare for the holiday meals, including not just the things that we don't grow here, but like beef right in Brazilian beef, And there's a real inflationary pressure in the beef industry in this country. And I think the administration took the steps necessary to provide the relief. So I think you're going to see a lot more accommodation in terms of that as we head into the new year. And look, the President's also this is something also very novel, David, back to your original point about the kinds of things that administration's doing. He's talking about a dividend from the tariffs. I mean, but that is something directly related to the issue, Lisa, that you bring up, and that is how is a presence supposed to bring down prices when we're in a free market.
Speaker 1: Don't have a whole lot of time left, but I want to ask you about the prospects of the fiscal stimulus in the new year from the tax bill. I mean that the President talks about so much, maybe he hasn't been focused enough sort of on the potential benefits of that for ordinary Americans. How do you see that's laying out in the year head.
Speaker 3: Look on what's going on with AI and with cap ax necessary to bring about this infrastructure, not just in the data center piece and all that, but on the power end of things. I mean, there is a tremendous tailwind we're going to experience from the ability to completely you know, write off the expense upfront. So you know, I do think, and I think most economists will say, there will be an uptick in terms of what that will do to increase people's willingness to go and put capital.
Speaker 2: To work by share. Eric Canter of Molus and Company, also the former House majority leader, thank you so much for being with us this morning.
Speaker 3: Hollow