Speaker 1: I want it to be true, but it's not. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm one more thing.
Speaker 3: So I got a couple of examples here of growing up and responsibilities as a youth that are at cross purposes. So I don't know what I think about it this year, so interested in your all's experience. So my thirteen year old right now is really big on cooking himself breakfast in the morning, something he kind of picked up in boy Scouts from doing it. It can't but he's been frying himself up eggs and bacon for breakfast every morning. And he did it the first time, yes, stay, And I asked him how I went, and he said, well, I overcooked the bacon a little bit and there was an egg shell in my eggs. And I said first time. I said, that's the way it turns out for everybody. I said, so that it'll be fine, said the right direction. But the idea being in theory, and this is all in theory, as I will point out that you know, you learn to do stuf for yourself and that will blah blah blah something when you're older blah blah blah. And I think often about how like I had never done any laundry in my life until I left my home as an eighteen year old. My mom did all my laundry, all our laundry as a mom my whole life, and.
Speaker 1: Cooking too. I never cooked anything. I ever did any laundry.
Speaker 3: And the story I hear from people is, you know, you won't know how to take care of themselves. I figured out how to do laundry in like five minutes when I got to college, and I was fine. So I'm not sure, I mean, other than it would have helped my mom to not have to do it, I'm not sure it hurt.
Speaker 1: Me any in any way that I didn't.
Speaker 4: Do it really, other than that first time or two, Like the cooking eggs thing, you're exactly right, Yeah, I remember that. Oh oh, you gotta be more careful when you crack the eggs or you get a little bit in there, and by like a plate of eggs.
Speaker 3: Number two, I was up to speed right before I go to my second example, That is it kind of counter purposes to this.
Speaker 1: What was your experience, Katie? Did you do some stuff for yourself as a kid? Uh?
Speaker 5: Not really, I mean my mom did the laundry and cooked for us.
Speaker 1: And all that stuff.
Speaker 5: And I really only learned how to cook when I started working at Trader Joe's and I was the demo girl that made the samples and that didn't know.
Speaker 3: That's interesting that the three of us had that similar experience, because I hear a lot from people and then they'll go off and they won't know how to do anything themselves. And I always think, yeah, but I picked up those things like immediately. I mean again, you could make the argument that my mom didn't need to work that hard. She could have had me doing it. But from a life lessons standpoint, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't actually I think there's a value to it.
Speaker 2: Probably probably is.
Speaker 1: So okay.
Speaker 3: But here's the other one, the other example I have that I this is why I started with.
Speaker 1: I don't want this to be true, but it is.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 3: The flip side of that is I worked a lot. I started working when I was like twelve, mown lawns, and then I started working in feed lots when I was fourteen, and I worked a lot. I worked forty hour weeks or longer in the summers. For four summers. I got up at five o'clock in the morning. I did weekends through the school year, I worked a lot, and I would like to believe that I learned some sort of work ethic in blah blah blah blah blah. But I have plenty of examples of rich kids who never did a liquor. I worked all through college to full time job all the way through college. I have plenty of examples of friends who never worked a lick in high school or a moment in college, and then they got jobs and they busted ass and they're successful and they were fine. They just worked less than I did in their lives, which sounds like a plus to me. Again, I would like to be able to brag about work ethic and lessons I learned.
Speaker 2: But I'm not sure it's true.
Speaker 1: I would like it to be true, but I'm just not sure it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was okay with the bargain that if you want stuff, you need to earn money.
Speaker 2: And buy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: The other I say I was doing it for entirely selfish reasons. It's not principled ones.
Speaker 3: Well, no doubt, that's the main That was the entire reason. I'd asked my dad, did you talk to them today? Did you talk them today? When I was wanting to get a job, I wanted money, which I made and then I bought a motorcycle. But my friends who had their stuff given to them, I would love it if they turned out to be drug addict derelics who nevermounted anything. But they didn't. They're incredibly successful, hardworking people who went off into life and did well. So I don't know what to do with those stories.
Speaker 5: If they came from a well off family, they probably saw how hard their parents worked could.
Speaker 3: Be, could be maybe I caught that second generation, the old saw that is shirt sleeves to shirt sleeves in three generations or work works do work boots and three genders. You have the generation that made the money and then their kids saw dad make the money, work hard. But that next generation there's ruin that blow.
Speaker 4: I've never known anything but affluence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that could be. Maybe I just saw that second round with my friends when I was young. So I don't know. I don't know what I think about either.
Speaker 3: One of those things that I went off and learned how to do laundry and cook an egg pretty quickly, and my life was fine, which you still can't grill, But did I benefit anything from working all the I don't know.
Speaker 4: You should ask your dad about the grilling technique. Then you could be a full man. Yeah, card carrying man.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah.
Speaker 4: I got married young, so I'd never have to learn any of that stuff.
Speaker 1: I found a loophole. A loophole, yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: Not true.
Speaker 4: Although our current washing machine, which I have used occasionally, is I think you could climb in it and go to the moon in it if you needed to. It's got so many settings and dials and digital readouts and everything. I mean, it's an incredibly sophisticated piece of machinery that allegedly saves water and stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure the clothes are any cleaner.
Speaker 3: I think what they like about that is if something you can't possibly fix it yourself, you have.
Speaker 1: To yea need to buy any machine or call somebody different fix.
Speaker 2: Oh the other place, the brain is five hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: The other thing, you were the one who said you have to like do updates on your washing machine right right?
Speaker 1: Software up software update, Hell firm is very annoying.
Speaker 3: Oh. The other example I was gonna use is and I don't want this to be true either, I've known lots of people that that that work starting at a young age, and they got to adulthood and their layabouts they.
Speaker 1: Just don't benefit to it. So I don't know. I think it might have more to do with your personality.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, well, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: I was just going to say, having raised three kids to adulthood, I have two who absolutely have the entrepreneurial spirit. I want to make money, I want to be independent, blah blah blah, and then one who just doesn't give a damn about money, having grown up with significantly more money than than I did, for instance, and among my siblings and I, there is definitely a difference in our ambition, specifically financial ambition. I just I don't I don't know how much correlation there is between you know, you busted your ass as a kid, worked part time after school, bl blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I just don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know me well, I for instance, you know, as long as we're telling stories, gladys to tune.
Speaker 2: Up to harp, would you, babe? If the woman is ninety.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just I think she probably appreciates it, she appreciates hearing that she is still an attractive woman.
Speaker 1: Right exactly the Gams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh please, yeah, like Betty Grable. Anyway, how was I gonna say? Oh, I would.
Speaker 4: Go to I would get up very early, go to jazz band before school and do school, then go to baseball practice or golf practice. Get home from I'm sorry, get back to school from there, go directly to my job, work till nine forty five ten o'clock at night, and then do my homework. What homework I did at night, get barely enough school, a sleep, rather rinse, repeat, do.
Speaker 2: It again the next day.
Speaker 4: And I am one of the laziest people I have ever met.
Speaker 2: From a man who craves leisure.
Speaker 3: I've often wondered that too, because I had a similar schedule. If you just have so much of those you know, I don't know, widget energy, how are.
Speaker 1: You measure that in your life? Right? I spend it all young, I used it all up.
Speaker 2: British thermal units or whatever it is. Yeah, I wonder, So.
Speaker 4: You hit your peak and then it was all downhill?
Speaker 1: Just use I peaked at night, Oh my, go getting I used up at like nineteen and then what are you gonna do after that?
Speaker 2: You know? What serious note.
Speaker 4: And I've mentioned this on the air before. My late sainted mother once said to me, I was probably fifteen years old or something like that. She said, Joe, you are a mystery to me. If you care about something, you work harder and longer than anybody.
Speaker 2: I've ever known.
Speaker 4: And if you don't care about something, you can't be troubled to put out the least effort.
Speaker 2: And I thought, you know that's true.
Speaker 4: That's true, and so I don't think it's an accident that I've found a fair level of success we have, And Jack, I know you can relate to this through a career where we have a deadline every single day. Every single day, it's either do the work and show up prepared or be humiliated. That's really the only thing that can get me going. If there's some big sales report that has to be done next Wednesday, guess what I'm doing next Tuesday night.
Speaker 2: And that's the beauty of this career.
Speaker 4: Up and show you got the goods or be embarrassed every single day.
Speaker 2: It's why it works for me.
Speaker 1: Driven by humiliation. The Armstrong and Getty show.
Speaker 3: Michael, you didn't weigh in on that, did you do laundry or anything when you were a kid, or did your mom do it all?
Speaker 1: Mom did it all. I learned how to do it, and I got older, and I'm going to take you to catch on to the whole laundry thing. Not too bad. That's maybe twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: It's not rocket science. So I don't know. I hear that regularly from people. Then they'll go out in the world. Yeah, they want how to do anything, all right.
Speaker 4: You know what I wish I had a picture of, speaking of college, is the legendary closet monster where you just wear everything you have and.
Speaker 2: All of your clothes are dirty down to like one.
Speaker 4: Sock with a hole in it, and the rest of it, and everything you own is dirty piled up in the closet.
Speaker 2: The closet monster. We used to call it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's not like you go off to you know, whatever you do after you get out of high school, and you're just wearing soiled clothes for years at a time, you don't even.
Speaker 4: Imagine, and you just crunching on eggshells every day. I'm sure which part of the egg No.
Speaker 1: I never cooked eggs as a child.
Speaker 4: You know, if you don't like these smart washing machines, Go old fashioned, Find a nearby creek, put your clothes in there, and just start scrubbing. Well, I guess that's it.