Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: It's a Wednesday here inside the SWBC podcast studio, home of your kickball champion Dallas Cowboys. This is Bill Jones along with Everson Walls and the legendary Mickey Spagnol.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 3: As Pittsburgh Steeler Week is underway. Officially, there is football gear on a football field and there will be football players out there in a matter of moments.
Speaker 4: It's going to be an immaculate game.
Speaker 3: Oh we're going all the way back to nineteen seventy two. Yeah, right, same day as the Tony Fritch behind the back on sidekick and the Rogers stabach Captain comeback win over the San Francisco forty nine.
Speaker 5: Ers more behind the Achilles.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, behind the behind the behind the heel, behind the heel, behind the hiel.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. That's what I remember today. That's what I remember from that day, My greatest day of watching football of my childhood was the Immaculate Reception followed by Captain comeback at San Francisco as the Cowboys rallied for a thirty to twenty eight win over the forty nine ers.
Speaker 4: So they asked Mike where was he when he saw the immaculate reception? Yep, growing up in Pittsburgh, growing up in Pittsburgh, watch it had home on his black and white TV, which we all did.
Speaker 5: Yes we did.
Speaker 3: Where were you We actually got a color television?
Speaker 2: WoT he hated to bring that up? You know, godly man, you talk about a guy with a silver spoon in his mouth.
Speaker 4: They can smell fresh cash.
Speaker 3: You know how, I remember, you know how I remember when we got a color television. It got installed, what delivered whatever?
Speaker 2: You mean the installed installations of the.
Speaker 3: Same that we turned it on and LBJ was making the his announcement that he was not running for president.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that would have been eight or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you got your TV and that I know, you've got a color TV. In the sixties, bro, Hey, did you go very very affluent?
Speaker 3: Herv the neighborhood?
Speaker 4: We still in the six we still.
Speaker 5: Had those words go together.
Speaker 4: We had one of those console things that there was a phonograph on one side and TV on the other, and the knob broke. I can't remember if it was the volume or the channel. Yeah, but we had one of those those turnkeys from the coffee can that fit into where the knob we're supposed.
Speaker 3: To go to turn it on.
Speaker 2: And yes, yes, and it was always the cheap plastic.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So it was probably the channel changer because the volume, you know, it has no no.
Speaker 3: Y'all had a channel changer. Well, yeah, it was on the TV. Physically, I had to get go and do it.
Speaker 5: I had Yeah, we had players.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I was put TV and every time you want to change, just get the plank.
Speaker 3: We not only had a color TV, but we had a Cowboy antenna too on top of them. My dad put He had all these wires and metal and stuff on top of our roof. And actually we had a there was a tornado that hit. That's when we can watch a Cowboy. That's good because.
Speaker 5: Tyler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we picked up that Tyler TV station. It was all snowy and everything, but still we could pick it out.
Speaker 2: And uh so that's why you wasn't tough enough to make it in basketball.
Speaker 5: You were a spoiled little.
Speaker 3: Kid making a basketball. I started from MacArthur Junior High.
Speaker 5: Junior High.
Speaker 3: We played we didn't play Burkner because y'all were four A. I mean y'all were three A and we were four A.
Speaker 2: Yeah when I got there, our first first first year in four A okay, seventeen.
Speaker 3: But we played. We played J. J. Pearce, the Baxter Boys over there.
Speaker 5: One of those guys ended up being a high jumper. I think we may have had this wide receiver ended up being the high jump. I went against him and he actually called the pass on One of them.
Speaker 3: Played basketball at Texas Tech.
Speaker 5: They got hops. Yeah, man, that's right, that's right. All right?
Speaker 4: Were you watching what reception?
Speaker 5: Yes? Yeah, I didn't like it, not at all. I didn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't like Pittsburgh by the way, mister pepper mister Peppermin's son played basketball at Lake Islets, Okay, and he became a a rock star.
Speaker 5: Is that's right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's an immaculate memory.
Speaker 3: Okay. Do you want to talk immaculate receptions? You want to talk about receiver? This team?
Speaker 5: Man, I am so this mister.
Speaker 3: Pepperman, you don't know who mister Pepper, You know who he is?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: Okay, we had got some breakheads a circus by the way.
Speaker 5: Yo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh, I'm breaking news here from Mike Prescott.
Speaker 4: And Mike McCarthy confirmed that Brandon Cooks is a knee issue and he won't be available for this game this week. I didn't mention how long he was going to be out, but all he would allow is he had a knee issue. Or he didn't even allow that. But what's been reported is that he had a knee issue that was taken care of uh in New York after the game, and that it developed an infection afterwards. And we probably need more questions. It just came out late this morning.
Speaker 5: So did y'all know that he had New York?
Speaker 3: Did?
Speaker 5: No one knows? No one noticed that he was missing?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know that. We we took attendance on the plane ride.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying, it's amazing that that this can come out.
Speaker 3: That's right. How the reporters on that flight, How could you not account for all the players who flying back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they really tried to keep this sitting.
Speaker 3: They may not have had to fly back on the plane on a Thursday game. Could you not and have Friday off because you're off on the weekend.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's the reason that he stayed instead of having the procedure here at home.
Speaker 4: I can't answer that. Yeah, all I know is he had a procedure and it was He did allow that it was probably a continuation of end of training camp. He was missing some practices because he had a sore knee, so it sounded like they did maybe did something he would not confirmed. That's why Brandon got off to kind of a slow start in these first what four games. It's like he I don't I'm trying to remember what his numbers were these first four games, but they weren't as high as they were in training camp. With c d missing or well, that was the go to guy.
Speaker 3: I'll run down specifically his games. He had four catches for forty yards and a touchdown at Cleveland, two catches for nineteen yards against New Orleans, two catches for sixteen yards against Baltimore, and in this last game Thursday Night, one catch for sixteen yards, and he played forty six snaps against the Giants. CD had forty seven.
Speaker 4: Snaps nine total, so he had something bothering them, which makes.
Speaker 3: You wonder if he was planning with the mini by weekend to go ahead and.
Speaker 4: Get maybe cleaned up playing there as a complication, he's probably had a little bit of I'm just talking out loud, if they did a procedure like that, maybe a little bit of asus meniscus tear or something, or maybe something was floating around in there and you you scope it and within a week or so you're ready to And that's what I.
Speaker 5: Was going to say.
Speaker 2: They if it wouldn't have been infected gotten infected, then he and.
Speaker 3: Again this is all speculations. Yes, we have not heard anything. In fact, McCarthy said, I don't get into specifics of the players injuries. These specifics should be answered by the players or by the guys on mix shots. But he will not be.
Speaker 4: Well, we've got we've got a sports writing medical degree here, is that right?
Speaker 5: That's right?
Speaker 4: Yea master.
Speaker 3: So what do the Cowboys do at wide receiver? As we confirmed that Cooks is not playing against Pittsburgh this week?
Speaker 4: Oh, they're training for DeVante Adams.
Speaker 5: Of course.
Speaker 3: You're saying that tongue in cheek because.
Speaker 4: You just saw it on the TV screen.
Speaker 3: News that he had speculation because he.
Speaker 5: Is very rapid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is very unhappy when you talk to yourself on the sidelines.
Speaker 5: You look at the look on his face. You know he's arguing with himself.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, guys are happy when they go somewhere else and make money, right, and then when they don't win, they're unhappy. Well, the money in.
Speaker 2: That case, it was different. Uh, something happened with Carr. I don't know what happened, but if I recall their college teammates, right, there's no stake, So hell comes what's his name again, Adams?
Speaker 5: They have a house right next to each other. Is that was that true?
Speaker 2: He bought a house right next to Car and then something happened with Car. I forget what happened, but now Car has gone Yeah and so, but that's why they that's why he came there. He came there to play with his college teammate who was half of the decent.
Speaker 3: Seeing he's now has Gardner Minshew or Aidan O'Connell as his quarterbacks, then they've got a quarterback controversy of sorts going on out there right now, which means they don't have a quarterback. Well, cars in New Orleans, and another guy he has had much success with, Aaron Rodgers, is in New York with the Jets. Okay, so those would be too likely landing spots for him.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure when he signed this contract he assumed that Derek Carr was going to be there with him more than just one year, and so that affected not just his career his numbers talking about Adams, but also the direction of the team. And then you got rid of the running back as well, George Jones verywell, Josh Jacobs, and now you're stuck with what you have and I don't know what kind of.
Speaker 5: Moves they were making.
Speaker 4: His guaranteed money, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'll take the money, but you still can't win. Money doesn't make you win.
Speaker 3: It's almost like in college football. You get four games into the season, and the rules in college are that you can play four games and if you play beyond four games, then it counts as a year for you. You can play in four games and it can not play the rest of the season and it can be a red shirt year for you. So there are actually now, especially with the nil and transfer portal, there are guys that the team gets off to a one in three start the first four games, and they're Okay, I'm out of here. I'm going in the transfer portal appreciate.
Speaker 4: So this is this is a okay, well.
Speaker 3: It happened in Vegas with the quarterback. Now you go out there with u NLV.
Speaker 4: This is a good example of when you get an injury like they did with the defensive ends, everybody wants to bring up, well, who are you going to trade for? Right now you get this injury? Had you traded already for somebody? Now do you trade for this injury?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: You can't keep trading every time somebody gets an injury when it was not yeah, and that's and and if it's not season ending now this doesn't sound like it's season ending. It may be ending during the byewig, who knows. But you can't just keep overreacting. And then everybody says, well, you got this amount of money under the salary cap. Well, one of the reasons they created that money it was not for this year. It was to carry over for next year when they're really going to be up against the salary cap. And then when you explain that to somebody, they'll go, well, I can't worry about next year. I'm worried about this year. I'm all in.
Speaker 5: No, we were all in last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, Now everybody's mad because we were all in and that way out.
Speaker 4: So you can't just keep every time you get an injury, say okay, I got to go trade for somebody, and so yeah, yeah, uh, the Jalens have to step up, Jalen Tober, Jalen Brooks, Cavante Turpin and then I would imagine Floor Noy.
Speaker 3: Uh we got we have confirmation on how you say his name floor Flo Floy.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, Illinois.
Speaker 4: Which is easier not to That's what it is in the media.
Speaker 3: Guy, That's what it is in the media guide. But and I had meant to, and I had left training camp and could not talk to him face to face to ask him because there was much talk. Is it Floor no Oy? Is it? Then? So preseason games, I was using what the Cowboys media department has in the media guide Illinois, and Babel Offenburg since then has asked him face to face and it is Flinoy.
Speaker 4: So we asked Amani how to say his name?
Speaker 3: Also, by the way, after the and what did he say?
Speaker 4: Just what it sounds like.
Speaker 3: Oh, ruwarre.
Speaker 5: That's not how he said it.
Speaker 4: Well, a little fit faster, I did it phonetically.
Speaker 5: Ship it sounded better than that.
Speaker 4: Well that's what it is.
Speaker 5: Oh No, that's o war that's what you said. That's why I said no.
Speaker 3: This last time he said, oh you.
Speaker 4: You know when he said we got confirmation, I thought he had confirmation that floor. NOI was going to be active on No.
Speaker 3: We don't know how to say his name. That's all was activated.
Speaker 4: So anyway, when it when it, when it rains at poor us, when when injuries hit.
Speaker 5: Going on the broad playing against Pittsburgh, and.
Speaker 3: I still like the Cowboys wide receivers right wide receiver depth better than the Steelers wide.
Speaker 5: Receiver, no doubt.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely So when you look at the situation like this, you have no but to depend on something that you're not accustomed to.
Speaker 5: That's running game and defense.
Speaker 4: Well, if you could run block, then you can depend on the running game. And we'll see if they've gotten better about that, because this offense needs to improve, and there's no you know, everybody's concerned about the defense. That has been concerned about the defense, and rightfully so. After giving up all those points in those second and third games. But the offense certainly isn't offsetting any of the defensive problems, and they need to be able to step up. So we'll see if they've made progress or not.
Speaker 2: They're going to have to change the game plan. You can't come out with the same type of.
Speaker 5: Rhythm.
Speaker 2: You know, we're used to coming back there as soon as Dak's back leg hit with throwing passes. With throwing passes, We've got to really change our mindset when it comes to this game. We just don't have the same people in place. You've got a lot of young guys out there, so it's gonna it's gonna take a little adjustment and and all of that's going to have to fall on the veterans and including your quarterback.
Speaker 3: So who would you like to get increased snaps at wide receiver? Which of those guys we're talking the Tolbert's been getting, uh, I mean he got so he's part of the big three you're tag So now you're talking Jalen Brooks, Ryan Flinoy, Cavante Turpin.
Speaker 5: I want that's that's my answer to you got you gotta get him open. You gotta get him open.
Speaker 3: He's got receiving skills.
Speaker 4: He does, and more so than they've taken advantage of because when he and and not that it's the same level of play. I get it. But when he was in the USFL and he won Offensive Player of the Year award, it wasn't for his returns. It was he was a receiver. I don't know how many games they played, ten games, maybe regular seasons, he had forty some receptions.
Speaker 3: And a great example is the Baltimore game he had because they were playing from behind. Against Baltimore, he had eighteen snaps on offense. That's the probably the most he's had on offense. We had nineteen against New Orleans too. Both games they were playing from behind, so they were right nickel and four receiver sets a lot and uh so that's why he got more opportunities. He had three catches for fifty one yards and a touchdown against Baltimore.
Speaker 4: And Mike pointed out when he was asked about Turpin that he said he can play all four spots. Very proud that he can play off for a spot. I think he's grown a ton since he got here. As a wide vision.
Speaker 3: He was like that at TCU. I mean, he was a bar right as a wide receiver, not just as a return game.
Speaker 2: So it'd be something we can He's singing, hats on. You still have CD, you still have of Turping. You're gonna need.
Speaker 3: It, and then you can be stronger well. And then if Turpin gets increased snaps and he develops more as an NFL a wide receiver, then you're even better when Cooks gets healthy and gets back.
Speaker 2: Now, one thing you have to remember, this is a Pittsburgh defense that knows how to take people out. They know how to eliminate you from the game plan. I don't know how their DB's are gonna play, but if I'm playing against someone like Turpin, I'm just saying, if I'm the one of the dbs from Pittsburgh, I'm gonna get up and press this guy. I'm gonna make sure I take away all the timing that the quarterback thinks he's gonna have.
Speaker 4: Can't press him in the slot, can you?
Speaker 5: Why not?
Speaker 4: Because he's going to get a free release.
Speaker 5: It's not free. Now if you're pressing, you can't. I can. Why can't I press against the slot.
Speaker 4: Because he's not going to be on the line of scrimmage?
Speaker 5: Oh you can steal jack him up. Okay, yeah, you can still jack him up. Now, good, good, good on your part.
Speaker 2: It gives him a bit of a disadvantage, but not necessarily that much to where it gives him, you know, free rain, I would not give it. That's not the case. It will not be free ring that that I can tell you. It will be a little bit more of a relief because now I'm not here with him. He has this much space, so he better use it. He better use it. And he's gotta get off the line screamings fast because we are a timing and a rhythm passing offense.
Speaker 4: Well, he should get two steps for give me two steps.
Speaker 5: Two steps.
Speaker 4: There's something wrong about give me two steps.
Speaker 2: They're gonna they're gonna need it because this game plan is I don't think it's gonna be the exciting game plan that we're accustomed to. I think we're gonna have to dial it down play a much more conservative a game.
Speaker 3: Pittsburgh has a Cavante Turpin type who's their slot corner rookie out of West Virginia five nine pound beanie Bishop Wow. It could be the matchup of the year. Is the Cap versus Beanie Bishop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they better worried about CD Lamb.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well see that's the thing. If they worried about CD Lamb, that's great. So then Turpin gets the one on one.
Speaker 3: You might like, you're putting CD in the slot against five nine pound Benie Bishop.
Speaker 5: I don't think they're going to do that. I don't think they're going to do that.
Speaker 4: Well he moves around.
Speaker 2: Well, well see we can create that type of matchup, right, we can create that, We can determine that.
Speaker 4: And then you get turping on the outside running.
Speaker 2: Now, now you have to make sure that all your wide receivers have their game playing down because you have players that, thank god, have gotten some numbers, have gotten some plays in throughout these first four games.
Speaker 5: Thank god.
Speaker 3: All right, we're just getting started on mixed shots. So much more to get to when we come back in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages for the pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 5: You want to stay at the.
Speaker 2: Team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports tools, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 8: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Scott slides for the first down.
Speaker 8: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 3: Throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 8: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 9: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated Colster cankoler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. Yetti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 4: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 10: What are you doing here?
Speaker 3: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less fillings.
Speaker 3: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 4: Hell mindset.
Speaker 5: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm rashine legal guy. Celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 1: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point two grams carbs for twelve ounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer. Demicted shots.
Speaker 2: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or be the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine visit dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Okay, uh, that was a great read there.
Speaker 4: Ever, so there was just the pinnict gallery in the background.
Speaker 3: Where did that come from?
Speaker 5: I don't know who it was. I don't know.
Speaker 3: We do have Nate in Frisco who says, aluminum foil antenna ears on top of the TV.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what I was watching it on on a black and white There you go, all right, what rabbit ears?
Speaker 3: Very good? Where would you like to go here? Or did you find your depth chart that you're looking for?
Speaker 4: Feversly, I may have printed it out wrong because I had so much stuff in here.
Speaker 3: It's this is old school. This is an old school Pittsburgh Steeler press release where you've got it all printed out and have it on your computer.
Speaker 5: A lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: I can use it with that.
Speaker 3: Cowboys the same way over there, right, Okay, he prints out everything stats to.
Speaker 4: We probably ought to talk about the guy we thought they were going to sign yesterday. Yes, that you uncovered. That's right, by the way, Remember you said, oh, I'm I here that they're gonna No.
Speaker 3: I said, that's who I think they should sign. After my scouting efforts, and I looked over every practice squad in the league, and I decided, you know what, the edge rusher that I want is the guy that's a year former fifth round draft pick of Washington who's on the Cincinnati practice practice squad.
Speaker 4: K J.
Speaker 2: Henry, didn't you didn't influence anyone?
Speaker 5: I hope. I'm not saying that.
Speaker 2: I mean they already hit it there and I think you probably read it before you came.
Speaker 3: In, might have read it on Twitter that gonna side.
Speaker 4: They He spent uh five years at Clemson. He was had a red shirt year, a COVID year there. Uh, but he he was a get this. He was a two time academic All American defensive end. And he finished at Clemson with his bachelor's and master's degree. Wow, how about that made them five years pay off for got something and still still five years.
Speaker 3: While still sounds like a Brent Venables recruit, right.
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 4: And he went to Clemson. He was His other two choices were Alabama and Georgia, and he chose Clemson.
Speaker 3: His degrees in sports communication in December twenty twenty and his master's degree in athletic leadership December twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: What is athletic leadership?
Speaker 3: You thought they.
Speaker 4: Got a program for that.
Speaker 3: Maybe you get a master's if your name team captain at Clemson and you get a master's in athletic leadership.
Speaker 4: Well so at Washington. He played in ten games last year, had three starts, okay, nineteen tackles, a second and a half, four tackles for losses, a couple quarterback hits. He played against the Cowboys thirty one snaps the first time, one tackle, and in the last game, I guess they're playing everybody, right, he had forty eight snaps, one tackle.
Speaker 5: Damn. It's hard to get a tackle, I guess. Damn. I was hoping you were going to say, oh, for this game, one tackle, just.
Speaker 4: Trying to see how much he played against the tackle, I mean against the Cowboys if they had you know, game intimate game team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 4: And then uh, he got released on the final cut, and then the Bengals picked him up. He played two games. I think it looked like it was just special teams. Uh and uh. And then he got demoted to the practice squad, so we'll see.
Speaker 3: Son of what son of a coach? Too?
Speaker 5: Was my next what's his what's his downside?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know his stats to me on downside, but he's got all this this mental capacity going.
Speaker 7: He's you know in college well, as Bill pointed out, yes, what's.
Speaker 5: His prob what does he not do?
Speaker 4: He was a five star recruit too, too, fifty one. He weighed two fifty one at the combine and ran a four six forty, So he's got some athletic ability.
Speaker 5: Just a little light in the bulk, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: He was somewhat optunity a run starter stopper more than a pass rusher. I think that was his deal coming out. But the analysis was in the draft that you know, a guy that potentially could work into being a starter. So maybe he's a guy that needs some some time. He was a team captain too, by the way.
Speaker 5: I hear all of that, but then I keep hearing freaking.
Speaker 4: Tackle that was against the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Just saying that not just the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: The last game Cowboy offense.
Speaker 5: I hear all this stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering, what what is what is holding him back?
Speaker 4: That's all I want, well, there's a reason why he was on.
Speaker 5: The practice So yes see, that's why I'm headed.
Speaker 2: That was gonna be my last statement, but I want you to I wanted something otherwise.
Speaker 4: As I said yesterday, I wanted to point out that that was because Doren Armstrong and Dante Fowler were there ahead of him at defensive end.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we'll see, we will.
Speaker 4: But at least that's a body that's prepared to play, right. Yeah, he doesn't have to come here and ramp up.
Speaker 5: We can. We can walk him down for one tackle. We can get him. We can get that it.
Speaker 4: Had nineteen last year. That's almost won a game.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you have his snap account?
Speaker 5: I don't. I don't think it. Let's get off of this. Let's go somewhere.
Speaker 3: I had picture cowboy. Is he actually going to play against Pittsburgh?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 4: I bet he does.
Speaker 3: Okay, So who you who you lining up to replace DeMarcus Lawrence and.
Speaker 4: Michael Parsons Kneelan to start Goldsten, and then I'm rotating in Carl Lawson, who hopefully is in good enough shape and ready to play football after barely playing last year, uh and not going to training camp with anybody.
Speaker 3: He was with the Cowboys, But he.
Speaker 4: Was with the Cowboys at the end of training camp after they had a workout and let him go home and then came back.
Speaker 3: So you think he should get in shape and come back, You said, what they you think they told.
Speaker 4: Him, Well, that's why he ended up on the.
Speaker 3: Practice was a financial issue.
Speaker 4: He I think initially there was he was looking for more money and then when no more money showed up and it was like, okay, well I'll go back there and sign. So at least the guy has played in the league, right.
Speaker 3: I don't know he's played. He's played quite a while in the league too, having success in the league to seven years. Carl Lawson's the guy you're counting one right.
Speaker 4: Now to get by for them really step, Yeah, he's.
Speaker 3: He's the guy that's going to have increased snaps.
Speaker 5: I hope they're in shape.
Speaker 2: I hope they they've been practicing well, because they are going to get a heavy dose of the black and gold coming straight at him trying to run down hill.
Speaker 5: What's the running backs name for the Pittsburgh Steelers, Harris.
Speaker 3: Naji, Harrison nag They got Cordero Patterson as well, who's banged up a little bit.
Speaker 5: Right now, and thank god.
Speaker 3: But he did play last game. He just didn't and he hadn't ever May snapped so far. That's the other thing. As far as how big he was, Oh yeah, he's he's been a wide receiver and then late in his career a return man, a pro five time Pro bowler as a return man. In fact, it's not a coincidence that the Steelers signed him on the same day the NFL changed the kickoff rules to the dynamic kickoff. That means literally, that was the first signing in the league after it was announced that they approved the kickoff rules. Is Pittsburgh signed Corderial Patters?
Speaker 5: That's smart? Move Smarth move, that's right.
Speaker 4: So he's he's only averaging three point four Harry, is that Harris or Harris Fields is at three to eight so and lost and played twenty two snaps in this last game.
Speaker 2: So, but that that just lets you know their mindset. Three point plus yours. That's good enough for them.
Speaker 3: That good Is that good enough for us?
Speaker 2: Nope, it is not good enough because our defense hadn't shown that they can give us more chances.
Speaker 3: Well, what they're doing on their defense.
Speaker 5: Defense. They're playing to their defense.
Speaker 3: The reason they lost their last game really is because their defense didn't play like they played the first three games. Agay, from the from the start of the season. You watched the opening drive of the game. Yeah, so Anthony Richardson comes out firing. He threw a laser over the middle that somehow was caught in traffic for about thirty five yards, and then even on their next drive, they just they ran it right at the Steelers.
Speaker 5: Very unusual. Yeah, very unusual.
Speaker 3: And Mike Tomlin talked about it in this press conference yesterday. He was not happy with the way his defense came out and started that game. Now they got better after a what but and he's like, that's the point of emphasis for them, and he feels good about the fact that the who the opponent is this week and it's Sunday night football, and his defense will be ready to play from the start.
Speaker 5: Talking about the Colts, that's the running back Taylor, I mean, that's what they do.
Speaker 3: They run the ball Taylor.
Speaker 4: Taylor had eighty eight yards. They ended up thirty two carries for one hundred and thirty three yards.
Speaker 5: That's what they do. We're not as efficient as running the ball as.
Speaker 4: They are, and and Flacco completed sixteen of twenty six for one sixty eight two touchdowns. He had a one to five quarterback rating.
Speaker 5: By that's when the quarterback hurt. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Richardson heard his hip on the on that second series.
Speaker 5: Of the game.
Speaker 4: And Pittman wide receiver Michael Pittman six catches for one hundred and thirteen yeards.
Speaker 3: One of them was that first.
Speaker 5: Play of the game. He's no, he's amazing. Yeah, he's their seedon.
Speaker 4: Two yarder average eighteen eight catch.
Speaker 2: Just like you said, the better they better worry about c D and we should play off of that. They better worry about CD.
Speaker 4: Well, they'll worry about c D by putting pressure on Dak Prescott.
Speaker 3: And wait trying Cowboys better worry about t J.
Speaker 5: Watt. Yeah, oh, come on, of course, come on.
Speaker 3: That means Cameron Hayward upfront on their defense too.
Speaker 5: Who's going against what?
Speaker 3: Wherever he was he's don't you think well? And against the Colts early in that game. I haven't looked at the entire game, but early in the game he was lining up on the left side left defensive then so.
Speaker 5: Still but.
Speaker 4: I bet they move them.
Speaker 3: I'll watch the rest of the game later today.
Speaker 4: That means more snaps for lip Key got you gotta chip them. You got to make sure that he doesn't get free.
Speaker 5: I think I think that's going to be our m O.
Speaker 3: Garnell Washington. You know, you know Darnell Washington. He's the big tight end for Pittsburgh, who's basically I loved him in the draft out of Georgia board number zero at Georgia Everson I remember, you know, Brock Bowers was their tight end and I remember watching for the first time watching Georgia on going who is number zero? I fell in love with Darnell Washington and he wound up being a third round pick and he had a knee issue and a lot of teams had him red flag because of that, but the Steelers took it and he hadn't missed any time and that he's actually caught a touchdown pass in one of their games this year. They're finally starting to use him a little bit in the past game. But he is basically a sixth offensive lineman on the field, and he'll play thirty or forty snaps and he adds to their run game as a basically a third offensive time. He's that big, he's six seven, he was I think he was too seventy at the combine. But he's athletic, he's built like he's Marcedes Lewis. Yeah, you know, Marcedes Lewis has played twenty years in this league. I forgot about it and he's still in the league. Places for Chicago now, and but that's who. That's who I and Marcedes Lewis was a first round, late first round draft pick at Jacksonville, and that's who I thought Darnell Washington is if the stays out.
Speaker 4: So the Colts figured out how to stop t J. Watt. He had two assisted tackles. That's it. I didn't do such a good job with Cam Hayward. Hayward had six tackles, one sack, one tackle for a loss, three quarterback hits.
Speaker 3: He's a big reason that Najee Harris had what thirteen carries for nineteen yards in that game.
Speaker 4: Do what now?
Speaker 3: You're talking about Cam Hayward.
Speaker 4: Right, had that big game steeped the right tackle?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that was a very confusing.
Speaker 2: What you've been drinking my coffeeh You've been drinking my coffee bild, guys, not the reason.
Speaker 3: A break. We'll be back with more.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramp and cold. That's where Yetti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yet Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yettie dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even us pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you.
Speaker 4: Wincot slides for the first down.
Speaker 8: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 9: Perfect throw My goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 8: Visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 2: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today to mixed shots, step up your game day look with the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Nike Zoom Pegasus running shoes discover the ultimate comfort with its responsive, cushioning and breathable mesh. Visit a pro shop near you or log on to shop dot Dallascowboys dot Com, a fanatics experience to score yours today.
Speaker 3: Final few minutes of mixed shots for a Wednesday And the breaking news in case you missed it, is that Brandon Cooks is out this week, has a knee issue. So the Cowboys are gonna need some receivers to step up against the Steelers on Sunday Night Football this week and make you anything else. So we needn't need to know. Out of Mike McCarthy's press conference today.
Speaker 4: Well let me look and see if there's anything of note here. He said, Caitlin Carson is slated to go at practice. They're going to see just where he's at if they start his would he get twenty one days coming off ir? So I think they're going to kind of judge where he's at it his rehab to see if it's time to start his clock ticking. So that would certainly help out. And it looked like Bland is getting closer to how close I confuse Carson Carson. They're looking to see if he can practice. Bland is getting close to starting his twenty one day coming off of IR.
Speaker 3: So what we're looking at with Bland is is there a chance he could play before the bye week? It's my question, My.
Speaker 4: Question would My answer probably would be depending on how much he does once they start him, because usually the way they treat guys coming off IR is you practice one week and if you get through one week, then you practice the next week and you probably release you to play. So he's got to have two weeks of practice before they normally look.
Speaker 3: My next question is the twenty one day window. Okay, obviously the if if let's say he activated him, they activated him to day and started his twenty one day window. Yeah, well, you got this week and the Detroit week. That's two weeks, basically fourteen days of your window. Does your bye week count in the in the count against those days?
Speaker 4: I believe it does, So it wouldn't be smart to do it until next week because there's no way he'll play. I mean if he has to practice two weeks before he plays, I mean, if he started today, would he be ready for the Detroit game. I don't know. Then you got the buy it seems like you would use the buye. So if Carson's ready to go, that helps out. Although so when when when everybody asks about elevating Dalvin Cook, they're gonna have to elevate a defensive end and they're gonna have to elevate a cornerback. You only get two, right, so those are the necessities right now to fill out those two spots.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 4: So Bland he said he's working towards that, meaning returning to practice, So it doesn't sound like he's returning to practice. And think about it. You don't practice during the bye week. And what exactly is the injury for Carson? I'm talking no, Bland was a fractured fifth meta Tarsel Carson was a shoulder, so they did surgery on it. And the reason you do surgery on it is because it helps facilitate faster recovery from the broken bone or fractured bone.
Speaker 3: Every team in the league is going through this stuff, including the Steelers. I mean they've got injuries on their offensive line when you and they've got injuries elsewhere too, or second running back Jalen Warren I mentioned Patterson as well, but I mean, just look across the border, crawl across the league. Everybody's dealing with injuries of some sort and major injuries.
Speaker 4: Oh and about Henry McCarthy said that they the personnel department had their eye on him for a while. So probably you go back and look at what you thought of him about the draft, and.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, they probably liked him in the draft, and yeah he was fifth round, fifth round Washington, and then you keep an eye on him, and especially in the case of Washington, they this year with a changing coaching staff. Then you've got you sign a couple of free agents and Armstrong and Dante Fowler from here and it becomes a money game and you're trying to get him to the practice squad and so he gets an opportunity to see what he can do here. Yeah, and the Cowboys have had an obvious need, even going back to I think they had a need even before Sam Williams got hurt. I mean, did they replace both Dorn's Armstrong and Dante Fowler and free agency that would be a nor. So they were lacking in depth to begin with.
Speaker 4: That's why it was really important that Sam Williams played well because that was going to allow them to use Micaeh. Parsons more at linebacker.
Speaker 3: And then when he went just why Parsons got down to two forty yeah, exactly his college.
Speaker 4: Weight, and that never materialized. It was materializing in training camp until Sam Williams got hurt.
Speaker 3: Well, good, this will give up Mica an opportunity to put on more weight. It can be more like a defensive end, which is well, well, no joking, but no, no, no no.
Speaker 4: And tomorrow we're going to do a deep dive into Mazzie Smith.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I like that.
Speaker 4: Who is emerging?
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 4: We'll see if it continues.
Speaker 3: Okay, I do like that. All right, very good, so we will. It'll be Mozzie Thursday on Mixed Shots tomorrow at high noon, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 4: Hey,