Speaker 1: I have my notes, and I am ready.
Speaker 2: You have copious notes.
Speaker 1: Copious notes, doing copious today. I actually really wait a second. Let's start it off, right, BKA, give.
Speaker 3: Us the you have notes for season one, episode nine, The Witches Back, Yeah, give us the Rundown air December sixteenth, nineteen ninety eight. A three hundred year old warlock has been trapped inside a locket for centuries, and now he seeks revenge. Little does he know an ancient ancestors back to help the Hallywell sisters defeat him. Meanwhile, Rex and Hannah are plotting against Prue, and Piper's lust for Leo is getting stronger.
Speaker 1: Love that Park, I just threw open my mouth.
Speaker 3: I kind of want to take two at that, but I like the ending, Jesus Yeah. Directed by Richard Denault. Now, this guest stars some great talent. Billy Worth as Matthew Tate, Tyler Layton is the OG, Melinda Warren. Obviously we have Neil Roberts and Leigh Allen Baker returning.
Speaker 1: But you know, some great guest stars in this Fay was a guest star in this episode as well. You're still in the guest star tab.
Speaker 3: Right right, But yeah, I figured you'd get that because of Piper's lust for Leo part.
Speaker 1: Right, right, I just want to make yeah, a lot of lust, a lot of well let me start, bry can I jump right in? Guys. I loved this episode. I thought it was great. Like I remember the first time I watched, I was like, yeah, that's pretty cool. Now I'm watching this going man, this was special and I think a lot of it has to do obviously with the performances across the board. There was not a single week link in this episode. The guest stars were just on fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's a lightness to it because the guest stars for me, are so good and they so carry it that Like, I feel lighter watching this episode just because I know they're going to do so well and they do, and I mean, Billy Worth is Billy Worth be Tyler is so good. And it's also that it's the origin story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that.
Speaker 2: Really does it and we get to go back to the seventeenth century, because why not.
Speaker 1: Sixteen ninety two Salem. But yeah, you're right, Tyler is amazing. She is so good and grounded and that's the thing, and that Billy is so good, like in different hands different actors. This could go awry real quick. And I feel like this was so excellently played and just enough humor and lightness, like you said, while still balancing and having like the weight of this origin story about how you guys came to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. And it's not often that the shows, the episodes would open on guest stars, so this is a there. But they're just so good. I think it didn't make the spelling formula nervous because these two are just so good and they had so much chemistry right off the.
Speaker 1: Bat, good looking. Can we just address this right away? Billy and Tyler are like, like, I'm shipping this as a couple immediately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know why they can't get along, but girl, we've all been there. We all want to put them in the thing and so he never gets out and you know, pain and sorrow forever. We've all been there. I mean, at least I have.
Speaker 3: I mean, they did get along and he broke her heart right, same old story.
Speaker 1: Like she said, All the heat a tale as old as time.
Speaker 2: Too much heat. There's a fine line between love and heat, very.
Speaker 1: Fine body heat.
Speaker 2: Shout out another movie you couldn't make today.
Speaker 1: Wait, but wasn't that what they ended up renting a couple episodes ago. Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, today they'd be like, that's a relationship.
Speaker 1: Wait, this isn't nine and a half weeks. Don't confused, body heat with nine and a half weeks.
Speaker 2: No, don't talk about nine and a half weeks. You cannot touch nine and a half weeks for me. Do you know what are you joking? I've been waiting for the right get your such a fetus. Wow, I've been waiting for the right gal to watch nine and a half weeks. You could watch it alone, that's.
Speaker 1: I don't want to watch it with someone. Yeah, vanilla scented candle. Maybe you made a nice dinners a Palowell vanilla scented candle. Perhaps, sure? Why not?
Speaker 2: We digress? So then we go cut forward three hundred years to the auction house and Rex tells Prue, of all people, to catalog the locket.
Speaker 1: Now does Rex like? So are we to believe that Rex instantly knows what this locket is, the history of it, and he's hoping that it unlock something.
Speaker 3: Thinks so because he gives it a little jiggle right at that moment, like he's trying to he was messing with it and placed it. It seemed it seemed like a little hint at the top there.
Speaker 2: Correct higgles the big boy. Hey, big boy, Hey.
Speaker 1: Big boy. I'm writing that, by the way, this next weekend. Thanks big boy.
Speaker 2: So he jumps out of the locket because it as soon as it touches a hallow Well, which is actually a Warren. So it's the Warren Witches, which I like, like somebody married a hollow Well and that's why we're hollow Well.
Speaker 1: Now, I like Warren better is the last name.
Speaker 2: Warren Witches has a ring to it.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, Piper Warren.
Speaker 2: So she touches it that lets him escape, which was just a glitch in the matrix because that should not have been a thing.
Speaker 1: And he has that awareness correct immediately, like oh you're you're you're a descendant obviously of where we're at of Melinda Warren. Like he's not he's right, He's it's not like he's there's new discoveries for him. He's like he's picking up right where he left off.
Speaker 2: No, because only one of us could let him out, which i'd flitch in the matrix. It's not okay if somebody wasn't watching their potions, so he jumps out. He steals Prue's power by copying it copy and paste, and then tries to kill her with an office chair, which there's a lot of attempted murder by chairs in this episode that I do take umbridge with. But I'm gonna let it slide, and let it slide for the sake of the rest of the episode.
Speaker 1: I caught both of those. I was like, wow, you know, Prue did it again. Testament to Shannon like she's being attacked by an orange colored office chair, and it plays right that in hands of any less skilled of an actor, it looks ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I would have made it way too comical and it would not have worked.
Speaker 1: But it plays. And he, like you said, he busts through the window and he floats down to the ground, steals a loaf of bread, takes it that that has to be improv right.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was. It looked like a true was it bread?
Speaker 1: I don't know, that was like a breadstick.
Speaker 2: He's Billy Worth. He can do whatever he wants.
Speaker 1: But that's what I'm saying, Billy Worth is such a g that I feel like he came down, he's walking by, He's like, this is boring. Oh, I'm gonna grab this off the table. I'm gonna take a bite of it.
Speaker 2: Big daddy g He's such a savage. You know what's great is that since our first incantation of the podcast, I've got to hang out with him a couple of times since. And he's super shy and he so he's he's nervous to come on the podcast. But he's such a lovely, a highly spiritual man, and he really had a great time doing the show.
Speaker 1: Well you can tell, Like again, he does it so beautifully. He has a little bit of humor. He's not taking it. He's taking it seriously, but not to the point where it's it feels Casper van Deen Starship Troopers serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know he's having fun and you know you can you can tell. And that's what's great about Neil and Billy in this episode is that they're definitely having fun. And you know, Tyler is just a consummate professional and it just it works and it's great. It doesn't work for me is all the plumbing that Leo is fixing around the house.
Speaker 1: All the plumbing I've only just begun with the plumbing. Jesus, what, it's an old house. There's kids listening. It's not an old house. It's a young house. It's an old house.
Speaker 2: You're gonna lay some pipe?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? But really, uh are you? I thought you were just like a wood restorer. I'm a handyman, handy man as a jack of all trades. Yeah, what don't you do?
Speaker 3: She says in this episode, I say something about the hand some Shakespeare thing.
Speaker 2: That's because you were alive then.
Speaker 1: But whatever, Hey, probably too much. She might have been my charge. Also at this point, I would like to point out there's a baby is definitely wearing another sweater set. We need a sweater set counter in like this corn right here with a like a ding bing bing bing bing. Please if you watch Dauncing with the Stars, I can say this, and Karina will probably say the same thing. I don't think that we had great dancing chemistry. Then you need to be listening to sex lies and spray tet My partner.
Speaker 4: Ardam, he was so intense that made me really nervous.
Speaker 1: With Cheryl buck Eda didn't wear a lot of clothes, No, she was, she did.
Speaker 2: She did see her ankles Warm.
Speaker 3: Get the behind the scenes of what goes down on and off the dance floor.
Speaker 4: Dancing with the Stars breeds body image issues for women.
Speaker 2: The thinner you are, the more attention you end up getting on that show.
Speaker 5: Injuries, my phone rings, Hey Christian, Hey, yeah, I saw you dancing with the Stars. I saw what happened to your arm, and I have the perfect guy to fix it.
Speaker 1: Honestly, got to the player.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm just trying to survive again. I'm just trying to like make it out out of this season.
Speaker 1: Ego, she wanted to kill me. It was real bad insecurity on the show.
Speaker 2: It was like everyone was talking about my weight and it affected my confidence so much for like years to come and betrayals.
Speaker 1: Because of that one betrayal, I knew this is probably my last season. Listen to Sex Lies and Spray Tans with Ceryl Burke. New episodes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Speaker 4: My name is Cheryl Burke, and I approved this message.
Speaker 1: So you know, obviously you're there. You're fixing some stuff Baggy Pam and all this leads me to think, is he breaking things on purpose when you guys aren't looking so he can come back and fix something later.
Speaker 2: I think so, I think he's creating problems. I've had contractors like that before. It doesn't have to be mystical.
Speaker 1: No, this is a true thing, dude, this happened. Duh. Oh see you want to admit it. You guys go upstairs and he goes, I'll break the sink and then I'll break the downstairs back. You know, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: During this actual time, I was working Big Dave, you know Big Dave Holly.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we were doing it. Story.
Speaker 3: We were doing this roofing job and we had to tear off the roof, put down some plywood, redo the roof. This job took. We spent weeks up there. These guys milked it, and now I was just I was just kind of laboring, you know, carrying wood, hammering stuff. And we'd get up there and these guys were so lazy and trying to get another day's worth of work. They'd be like, all right, listen, we'ning come back from lunch. Just we're just move We would just move stuff around because a lady was in the house.
Speaker 2: That's what we do.
Speaker 3: We'd be hammering stuff, picking things up, putting things down, creating little trash piles that didn't even need to exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just move a pile around and people think work is done.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was kind of appalled at it, like okay, but yeah, I guess we can get another.
Speaker 1: Day or two out of this. It was. It was a little dirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I need my own contracting license.
Speaker 1: This is a giant red flag for Leo.
Speaker 2: For another one. Well, well, the first thing, Piper tries to ask him out again, as if I've never asked anybody out?
Speaker 1: That was my next question. You you, Ale, Holly, have never asked a guy like you never seen someone from across the bar or a restaurant and gone, I want to go out with him and just walk been that bold and walked up like you want to get a drink with merk? You want to buy me a drink or something?
Speaker 2: No? No, never, Well I've been married my.
Speaker 1: Entire life, so that's true.
Speaker 2: There is that, But no, when I wasn't. When I wasn't married, I Shannon was my wing man. She'd just go get him.
Speaker 4: B K.
Speaker 1: Have you has a girl ever asked you own? I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how'd that go?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: You know, as a guy, we're like, oh my gosh, of course you know, and so not your pick.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's it's just we're just look at it. Look oh my god, girl. I'm like, oh, I'll buy you dinner.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: It's definitely happened. I don't know if those were always they didn't. They didn't end well, shocker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lea's lane pipe papers trying to pipe down, pipe up. I don't even know what she's trying to do in this episode, the sweater SAIDs in the Khaki A two distracting.
Speaker 1: Yep, agreed. Then we're we're on Rex and Hannah, right, mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Because Andy hashtag angry Andy.
Speaker 1: This is where airbag Andy was born. Yes, bitter Andy, angry Andy. That's to have an a.
Speaker 3: I like that scene though with with him and Dorian, and I thought it was Dorian was strong and don't jump, was sorry sorry.
Speaker 2: Darryl was the voice of reason. Yeah that was for angry Andy.
Speaker 1: Which leads me to leave that ultimately, Daryl, like when when we asked Darryl Akay Dorian, you know, when did you know? He's like I always knew. But also it's weird because I guess we are going to the Andy bit. Right now, Andy, Like the whole show starts with Andy being hot on the trail of like witches and the occult and these murders around this, and then there's this constant, constant let's say red Herring that is in his life by the form of the love of his life, by the form of Prue, right, and all these like mystical things are constantly happening. But like he's hammering at home in the first few episodes, and then he doesn't really seem to talk about it, like at this stage in the in the evolution of his character.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's just angry Andy. So we go back to the house and Prue gives us the bad news, and Phoebe has her first premonition from the past. So it's a post emission, right, premonition, because premonition is pre post omission. It's mission.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's real, but I like it. I just made it up, a memory amminition cooking.
Speaker 2: So she gets to see the past and she sees Melinda put him in the locket, which clearly my sisters being who they are, they let him out. But if you're going to let a demon out, let it be Billy Worth.
Speaker 1: Agreed, he's cooking, cooking.
Speaker 2: So his character, Matthew Yep is going around town killing all the Hallowells.
Speaker 1: Well, he realizes, sorry, let's go back for one second. He realizes from Prue that in Melinda when during the sixteen ninety two Melinda basically had all the powers concentrated with her. But now when he touches or when he has that thing with Prue and he kind of grabs her, he's hoping that she's kind of the all in one package in real life. Yes, is Prue Hallowell? No, so she realized He so he has to go around looking for other Hallowells because he believes that they are the key to kind of having this like holy Trinity, the you know, the power three power. So he, like you said, he's going through the white pages killing every Hallowell in the city essentially.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, And I noticed in that in her office scene where he like grabs her. I was like, oh, I don't think she's really having such a bad time right there. And it's just because I knew, oh, you knew it was going on behind scenes. But yeah, there's everybody's like, yeah, no, twist my arm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Billy probably had a real tough time shooting this episode, just everyone just fawning over him. Is he tall too? Yep? Yeah, it's all and handsome, all dark and handsome. Great hair, too, great hair forever more. He doesn't need it mustache to prove nothing right, So okay? Uh. And it's at this point when Phoebe has this idea right to to kind of like let's or who actually has the idea?
Speaker 2: Well, Andy comes to stalk or Andy comes to the door. And this is actually one of my favorite parts of the episode is when Phebe goes, where's your warrant? Yeah, because this is when we really know the tides returning for Andy. He's on his way out right.
Speaker 1: But after that, right, like like who has the idea to conjure or like bring back what they don't know is Melinda?
Speaker 2: But well she Phoebe sees Melinda in her postmonition insight, I've seen this and you call blood to blood and we have our blood ceremony?
Speaker 1: Was that about as close to practical magic as it gets? I suppose I haven't seen that movie either.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you're so uninformed.
Speaker 1: I know, but it felt like you three around like I don't know if we've had a scene like this where you guys are kind of like, this felt like a different way of doing things up to this point, Like you guys had a really cool dynamic around the cauldron, and I I love that scene with you three. I love the blood how you were kind of like you played it so beautifully HMC like, it just felt so real and grounded. You guys were amazing, honestly, and then also look like again, you guys were having so much fun.
Speaker 2: And we get Melinda, who you know is our origin story and she's just Tyler is just such a lovely actress. Then we get to see her discover all the things like zippers and and she gets to discover Leo. H weird. Speaking of chemistry.
Speaker 1: I actually clocked that as well. A lot of the like, you know, bonding over Shakespeare and what have you.
Speaker 2: Flirty, flirty, flirty, there's a lot of flirts in this episode.
Speaker 1: She was cute.
Speaker 2: Maybe Leo thought he could go back to the seventeenth century with Melinda. Listen, Maybe she needed a white light or too. Maybe you failed her.
Speaker 1: Actually, maybe I was her white lighter.
Speaker 2: That would explain a lot.
Speaker 4: Hey, everyone, Amy Robach here along with TJ. Holmes, and we have a very exciting announcement to make to all of you.
Speaker 1: We are expanding.
Speaker 7: We are now going to be coming to you Monday through Friday for a new part of our Amy and TJ franchise, if you will, the Morning Run. We're going to help listeners navigate the busy news cycle and the historic political season that the country is facing. And we're going to do this now each and every day.
Speaker 4: Wow, we have a news franchise now. I like the way you put that. We're going to be covering all the latest news headlines for all of you. We'll have entertainment updates, and we'll even give some perspective on the current events that are happening right now. And this, by the way, is in addition to our already established bi weekly podcasts that we hope you guys are tuning into as well, with more in depth conversations and interviews. So we're going to be with you Monday through Friday with Morning Run. Listen to Morning Run on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or where ever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 2: And then Hannah gets her time with Matthew.
Speaker 1: Rex and Hannah tracked down Matthew Tait, and they realized like, and now we kind of start to see like a bigger master plan happening, which is, hey, we kind of we brought you here to help us kind of take out the you know, the Charmed ones essentially, and so they have now recruited him and they're kind of giving him a little bit of a makeover.
Speaker 2: Now close to he needs his pretty woman moment.
Speaker 1: He did, you know?
Speaker 2: There was there was one point in this episode where I was like, wow, that's kind of a Phoebe cleavage shot. And then I was like, wait a minute, it's okay because we make Billy get naked too.
Speaker 1: Correct And Billy's just there with his shirt off, and he's like, look, if you like looking, why are you stopping yourself? Like aware that you know even now, even then he knows what he was working with.
Speaker 2: Apparently he said the pants were too tight.
Speaker 1: I mean those were tight jeans.
Speaker 3: Kawhan Hannah was hilarious though, are they supposed to be tight? And She's like yes, she was great.
Speaker 1: She made me laugh. It was fantastic. And then Rex walks in with a great line what the devil?
Speaker 2: He probably improved that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, don't leave shirtless Billy Worth with your gal my guy, no guy, bad move guy, bad planning. So he's having his pretty woman moment. We're now back at the Hollywell House where basically Melinda is telling you guys about the history how you came to be, which is really cool because I think everyone loves an origin story. I know I do, But yeah, I think that's a that becomes a great jumping off point because now Melinda's kind of in on this and trying to help you guys figure out how to because it's really it ultimately feels like this is her battle, not so much yours, because right would we we go as far as to say.
Speaker 2: That absolutely, but you know, like I said, generational curses are tough to break, and you know, the ladies in their achilles heel, you may say, is kind of the guys. A lot of them turned out to be.
Speaker 1: Demons, handsome men, but.
Speaker 2: Not Airbag Andy.
Speaker 1: No, not Airbag Andy. Thought he would have been one. So Melinda basically pitches this idea for like, we have to we have to set up another curse, and you need to get a bunch of these ingredients to to kind of create this potion that she can ultimately throw at Matthew and trap him forever. And one of them, unfortunately, happens to be a spotted owl's feather, which in nineteen ninety eight spotted owls or are they stink now?
Speaker 2: I hope not?
Speaker 1: That would be sad. Well, in nineteen ninety eight they were endangered, and so Prue goes off on a mission to grab one of these things from like a natural history museum while you two, I don't know, this was a bad move on your end. Why did you go to quake?
Speaker 2: Why would you spices?
Speaker 1: Oh, spices. You couldn't have door dashed that shit. Now that didn't exist then nineteen ninety eight, Well, how about calling a friend going hey, I'm sick. Can you call a witch.
Speaker 2: Friend and be like, hey, do you have the ingredients to this potion?
Speaker 1: Well? Maybe we semon and nutmeg. We don't know what the other.
Speaker 2: Ingredients were complicated than that, and it was varied.
Speaker 1: Listen, as long as you have an answer for why you just didn't order in, why you felt the need to both go out.
Speaker 2: Hey, I didn't lose my power there. She did.
Speaker 1: Well that the problem with Phoebe's power is like he just has to grab her and she's going to have a premonition. It's a little too easy. It's like, like that's an obvious one, Like you were the key to this. If he had your powers, it would have been game over.
Speaker 2: But yep, looking for Piper, it's all right with me.
Speaker 1: So that happens at quake when you guys go get your spices and ingredients. He gets Phoebe's thing, but then bounces instead of kind of tries to get yours too, because he decides he gets the premonition that he's going to be killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got to go find the feather, and Prue's got the feather.
Speaker 1: He's got to go find the feather.
Speaker 2: But Andy's trying to incarcerate his ex girlfriend because she doesn't like him anymore.
Speaker 1: Right now, this scene I absolutely love outside the Natural History Museum, like they finally kind of captured what San Francisco is like in December, cold and kind of foggy, and the way it was lit, and it just it felt really cool. It felt big in a way. And so Prue sneaks out of this museum and there's Andy to kind of arrest her. Really, I think that's more sexual frustration than actual like he's not really upset that she's breaking out of the Natural History Museum.
Speaker 2: I think he's a low key psycho.
Speaker 1: He wants answers, he wants the truth. She gave him the truth and he couldn't handle it.
Speaker 2: He could not handle the truth. And it's that story truth And it happens. Like I said, we've all been there.
Speaker 1: Right, And so they're having this kind of like this little bit of a charged conversation in the car and he is asking for her the truth, but we already know from the episode before that the truth is out there and it hurts, and apparently he can't handle it. So she sets off the airbag and escapes before he can.
Speaker 2: Arrest her, as one does.
Speaker 1: I've used the air bag get away multiple times.
Speaker 2: So then we get to go to the house. Back to the house and Piper gets to have her cuddly moment with Billy Worth.
Speaker 1: Yeah we have all.
Speaker 2: The ingredients, Yeah you do, and he goes back in the box where he belongs.
Speaker 1: The end.
Speaker 2: There's so many axes that I would love to do that too forever more. Oh that's a totally different episode too, But anyway, what was really striking to me, and also My favorite per moment was this ending where we ask why can't you stay? Because we all loved I mean you can see in our faces we all loved working with her, and like the moment is so real just because we so enjoyed having that fourth musketeer there and she's just so great at what she does and I could just keep talking about her, so but I'm not going to. We're going to wrap it up. And she says, it's this is not my time, this is your time, and it's just it's so lovely that I'll look I'll look away from the flying chairs. Look away, look away. They threw a chair at Billy, Like, don't do that to that homie.
Speaker 1: You know, I agree there.
Speaker 2: Some knives at him or something.
Speaker 1: He's way cooler than getting a chair thrown out, which helps him, Like that's what throws him off. A knife or something would have cool.
Speaker 2: See, this is why they made me a producer later though.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, he's way he's worth more than a chair.
Speaker 2: Throw Absolutely, we're going to ignore that. Yeah, Era race delete delete.
Speaker 1: My favorite prove moment in this episode, I think it wasn't it was she was actually pretty light. I think in this episode it was, but I really liked her. I like that scene in the car with airbag Andy. I just think, like you can tell she's starting to be fed up again, like and you know this. It just it played well for me, and I just liked that again, the look. Maybe I'm just kind of taken by the look of it, and also the fact that he gets humbled by an airbag, which was pretty great.
Speaker 2: Very nostalgic. I like it. It is good. We love everybody in that episode. Hopefully we'll get some of them to come and talk and play with us.
Speaker 1: So thank you, guys, Thank you guys. Appreciate it, Appreciate you. See you next time.