Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This he's Talking Cowboys, springing live from.
Speaker 3: The Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at.
Speaker 1: The Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Six seconds, got kitsont touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: It's a same with your chapter Friday here on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the s WBC studios.
Speaker 2: Welcome in, everybody. We've got the full cast and crew ready to rock. Patrick no, Cy Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah standback, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeoman's glad you're with us. Everybody, glad you are with us.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 6: Uh big matchup this week.
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 2: I was a little gnatin here this is happening in this studio. I thought this was a sterild place. The whenever it comes to the Week three matchup with the Baltimore Ravens, We've got some stuff to break down.
Speaker 1: We're going to break down some Mike Zimmer.
Speaker 2: Tape we're gonna break down what base packages and sub packages there are going into a week like this where you can try and slow down the rating. MVP of Lamar and Jackson, how's everybody doing?
Speaker 1: You doing good? I'm swells? Well yeah, no, it's I woke up. It's a good start. Just started. I was I did not. I didn't you know what. I love my oats. You guys know that. But I have to filter my oats based upon my current diet restrictions. I have to be very selective of when I want to partake in the oats. But it's the future of oats bright absolutely, Yeah, yeah, the future source four Quaker so that the future is bright with oats. I believe them.
Speaker 2: We got tweeted at by Quaker Oats the other day yesterday official oatmeal sponsor Trusted.
Speaker 1: I started using a Quake R code. I wonder if they're going to start start.
Speaker 6: Marketing to pick that one out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean credit too bad. We trademarked it, we did.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's possible.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I tried to trademark Quaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was already somehow.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: You said you had some gifts for us. I do have that right now. All right, So you guys remember how we I put out there the design Yes, opportunity. Okay, there was a one one applicant by the name of Andre White. So far, so far, so far. By the name of Andre White. He goes by Design Cowboy. The design Cowboy say, he's the unofficial designer for Talking Cowboys. That's okay. I like the energy, I like the aura, so I drove I have You're not the yellow band. I keep everything in house, right Yeah. I turned to my family for if I need any resources, right, So, I'm always gonna go to my inner circle first and then I go outside. So my boy has a print design company, so I drove about an hour out to go grab these shirts. Could easily grab him anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but once in my boy big ape, how much that costs on the Tesla charge is free.
Speaker 1: He's actually he's actually friends with my really close friends with my old teammate Patrick Crayton. He designed something, so I went and got it printed. You guys ready for this unveiling. Let's do it. Let's do it. Cook up shot here coock up. Notice. Notice he said I had a receding hairline, so hair is not he said, I asked the one dreads my hairline is right there. I don't I don't really know, George. It's okay. We're here for that. We're here for to take he said. My son Rufe is opening up. But you know what I did. I did just turn forty. But this design is fire. That's great for those who are listening. For those that are listening, these are like animated characters. It says talking cowboy log. Yes, you see what it says in the middle.
Speaker 6: Quicker in the back Chris.
Speaker 1: So everybody shout out, shout out to our unofficial Cowboy fire sponsor. See what size of we got here? That's your medium medium where my guy? Yeah, I got Chris Beamer.
Speaker 6: It looks like he got you like mid laugh.
Speaker 1: Josh, that's what it is.
Speaker 8: Oh no, he's got you mid laugh, which was perfect.
Speaker 7: It's an animate smile.
Speaker 1: Goodness.
Speaker 9: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love that. Love that. Thanks for Thanks d wife for for for they Thanks thanks big A for the for the print. Yeah, Golded both Boys is official. Now this is a nice shirt to go. It is soft, soft, very nice. I really didn't do you wrong with and you know what when he submitted, I asked, I said, hey, bro, where's my hairline?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 1: You know I'm gonna tell you what His response was. I asked him directly, It's okay, I'm here for this, he said, I said this. I said I'm ball headed, though. He said sun Ruth's starting to open up. Fam. Oh, this is nothing, he doubled down. He's still in the business. This is a convertible top that. I don't know what to say. This is Isaiah, not Jesse. I'm Isaiah. It just shot fire. It's okay, Min's right here. But yes, it's all good. I'm grateful. Twenty four hours to reply, there's no reply, so there, so we're official our first shirt. So if you guys again, we'll put it out there for anybody else who wants to take on the challenge of taking on mister d the unofficial Talking Cowboys designer. You guys are more to submit another one and we'll get more shirts made. We're gonna make it happen. Making that happen.
Speaker 2: I think there may be some that are headed our way at some point because the address I'm with it.
Speaker 1: There may be some.
Speaker 2: I haven't received them yet, so if you've sent them, I haven't gotten them yet. I'll check the text line. We will gladly wear them. We are all about the apparel. We're all about rocking the people who support us. So if y'all support us, we will support y'all. If the Cowboys win on Sunday, y'all want to wear these Mondays.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: It's not like I don't want to make it like a thing where it's like we're laughing after a loss. Victory Monday, victory Monday. I like, all right, let's get into some news and notes, Pat, what's going on around the cow Boys?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 11: So first let's start with the more concerning one, which will be the continued absence of Mozzie Smith in practice. Mizzie Smith did not participate yesterday either, yesterday being Thursday, with that back tightness. So we talked about the depth concerns at defensive tackle. You did get Carlos Watkins in here. He practiced on yesterday, but he's gonna have to ramp up quickly. Jordan Phillips to ir, what does that defensive tackle situation look like?
Speaker 9: We shall see you?
Speaker 1: Are you ready? I thought you a question? What's Carlos Watkins? Wait? I know he's cap doing some player, but he's not a tweet one. Yeah, now I know where you're going with him. So on the UH, we will go from that extreme and then we'll work.
Speaker 11: The middle and come back paus to the to the right side. Jalen Brooks showed up on the injury report with an ankle issue. He was limited though, but that's something to keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: UH.
Speaker 11: If he is unable to go, then maybe it's the Ryan Flinoy Legacy game. We'll see how that plays out.
Speaker 12: UH.
Speaker 11: Treyvon Diggs and Seede Lamb out on Wednesday with a foot and ankle, respectively. They both returned to practice on Yesterday limited capacity, but they're in good spirits. Might McCarthy says they're good to go. Seede Lamb says he's good to go, Treyvon Diggs is moving well. I don't have any concerns for either one of those guys. And then the best possible news is that Jake Ferguson continues to trend toward taking the field against the Ravens on Sunday. But not but and the added positive is whilst we are concerned about the depth at defensive tackle, suddenly tight end is pouring over with depth because John Stevens Junior practice again on yesterday basis limited basis, but he has a chance of making his NFL debut against the Ravens, so you might have a lot of tight end talent going on against the Ravens. Everyone else who was you know, had a veteran rest day like Brandon Cook's Eric Kendricks. Those guys returned to practice in a full capacity. Marshall kneeling, he continues to be full that CAF issue is not bothering him at all. And Tyrres Sweet he returned to practice on Thursday, but he was out for personal reason on Wednesday, not injury related.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 11: A little bit of the bad as far as worried about Masie Smith in that defensive tackle situation, and a lot of the good being that Jake Ferguson and John Stevens might be there for your firepower at tight end.
Speaker 7: I got an answer for you.
Speaker 13: Weigh in that over three hundred and five pounds, Carlos Watkins.
Speaker 9: I like that was crisp right.
Speaker 6: I hope that's right, Like I would love for that to be the case.
Speaker 1: I find it hard to believe. I think he's a little, a little slim.
Speaker 2: He looks he looks like a d end whenever you're watching him in pats, and that's not a bad thing.
Speaker 1: I mean it looks like where he looked like he's the same size as like a Marshall Neeland.
Speaker 2: Maybe a little bit bigger, a tiny bit bigger, but not far off.
Speaker 1: Got you, Yeah, not far off. I have a bold prediction. I have a bowld prediction. Quick. I believe this was probably is not that bold. But I think that R Flow Ryan Bryan flooy u r Flow but Flinoy flinnoyloid French. I said his name multiple. I don't know if it's actually I'm not sure if I ever got it right, So I apologize in advance, not flower in retrospect. I guess. So I think I think R Flow is going to make his appearance, his first appearance. I also think that we will see Dalvin Cook appearance. So I think both of those guys, both of those guys get elevated. I'm almost My gut says yes. My gut says yes. My gut says that Dalvin Cook gets at least six carries. And I think that that flow gets in there into rotation as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, there was a push notification this morning. I don't know this by by any stretch. I think it was Bleacher report or something that said the Cowboys are one of four teams that are shopping for wide receiver help outside of their own facility.
Speaker 1: Whatever it may be.
Speaker 2: Flinoy could be that wide receiver help that if he steps up and has some success.
Speaker 7: We talked about it too.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean I don't As far as free agents go, the only one that I know that comes to mind is Michael Thomas. But but yeah, just no, Yeah, I don't think that the speed is there anymore. It's tough man at this point in the season. Who's who's really out there right now? I'm also curious, So do you have Ryan Bluldnoye that you have not seen?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Flow, but you have one name that is not on your roster that for the second consecutive year, I think we all can agree that the receiver position had the best training camp. Last year was Jalen Brooks. This year was who tyer? Billy Johnson? Billy Johnson? And where's he at practice squad?
Speaker 9: Not even free?
Speaker 1: He is he a free as free He's sitting at the crib so this was the issue that Jalen Brooks had last year. Jalen Brooks had the best training camp out of anybody, but his continuity was with number four, who is a k A QB one in the preseason when those three games appeared, QB one's not playing, right, he wasn't playing, so he didn't have anybody that he was in sync with right no, no, no, R and B group. He was receiving the pop no disrespect, So he lost his opportunity in terms of being able to really display what he's capable of.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: Obviously, he did enough to be able to come back this year in the capacity and earnest spot in the preseason this year, but again he's just now starting to get the opportunity to play in the games. Okay, I'm not sure that they're necessarily satisfied with what he's provided them offensively to date. I think he's done as expected, but I think his biggest contributions are on special teams. He's been doing a heck of a job of getting down the field, especially on the punt team, but once he gets down there, he's pretty lost. Right, So he's like, I'm the fast guy who can run by everybody, But when I get down there, I don't know where to go and what to do once I get down. Yeah, anybody who's fast can do that, right, So yeah, Talladega knit style. So I think they're looking for a more of an impact player there. Again, Tyrone Billy Johnson comes into training camp this year. He has the same issue that Jalen Brooks had. He with him and him and QB one were on point all through training camp. And then he gets to the preseason and who's playing QB three. QB three is playing right, So what happens He doesn't have a good preseason showing. So if you're going to turn to somebody, in my opinion, and you're gonna look for some help, give him an opportunity to come back and and conjoin again with showing forces with QB one again because I think that he's a very viable option. From what we saw at training camp was from that was against our own defense, that was against a RAMS defense. I liked what I saw out of him. I liked his swag, I liked his confidence. But when he played with other quarterbacks, it wasn't there because he didn't have a relationship with those guys.
Speaker 13: But to be fair, in training hip, You're absolutely right, he was on point with four. But when you get into the preseason game, granted, he doesn't have the chemistry that he does with with with Trey Lance, but I didn't see him really getting open. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he was really getting open.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I don't disagree with you. I don't disagree with you. But again, I don't want to say that. You have to take care of your business individually as a player, right, and you have the position yourself to be no matter who your quarterback is. But there is I will say this, right, this is a I don't even know. I can't really put my finger on it. But there's something about playing with your guy, you know what I mean. There's something about playing with your guy and the confidence that you have and getting the CD from Cooper Rush versus CD from Den Prescott. That's two entirely different players. Yes, completely, Yeah, So, I mean I don't want to it's not an excuse, but it is just totally it is a real justification, right, So I would like to see him having it. Don't know, everybody's gonna be like, oh no, we need a bigger name than that. You need a big receiver, You need a big you need a big receiver. They don't have a big receiver.
Speaker 11: Big athletic attacks the the catch with physicality and violence. That's Royn Flinoy, And I think that the challenges Well, I'll say this, I'm not ready to write off Jalen Brooks because I saw that, Yes, he's had two great training camps. He actually was able to translate last year's training camp into some positive reps when the Cowboys needed they had some issues at that position. So I still think there's a good ceiling on him. That being said, it's a numbers game as far as who's active, right, because you're so we got Ceedee Lamb, Brandon Cooks, Jalen Tobert's going to be active, Cavante Turpin.
Speaker 1: Who's your five? Right? So number five?
Speaker 11: I wouldn't mind seeing Flinoy as number five this week. So you can start seeing what the young man can do. Can he start building on the trajectory that he had in the preseason because every preseason game he had he just went up, up, up, and that was with QB three, Yeah, right, who had some accuracy issues. What does he look like with QB one who doesn't have those types of accuracy issues. So I'm not writing off Jalen Brooks at all, but I will say if it is a game where he's not one hundred percent Jalen Brooks, I mean by all means, put Ryan.
Speaker 9: Flnoy in, then let's see what you can do. Yeah, let's see what you got there.
Speaker 1: I like him.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take our first break because when we come back, I want to dive into these packag base packages and sub packages of Mike Zimmer. We kind of talked about it earlier in the week. We teased to it going into Friday. I wanted to get Isaiah's representation in his thought process whenever it comes to Mike Zimmer's system and how it does differ from what we had seen in the past, and what to look for on Sunday whenever Lamarn Jackson and the Ravens come to town. More talking cowboys, continuing with our brand new T shirt like that convertible and right after.
Speaker 1: This and Josh like brothers.
Speaker 8: Thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah.
Speaker 14: Savannah Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 8: At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 3: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See atd dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 2: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee. Today, the champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field.
Speaker 10: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 15: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school. An inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does and is here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com. Bank of America and a member after I see equal Credit opportunity lender.
Speaker 8: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back here on Talking Cowboys brought to you by a Black Rifle Coffee Company. This portion of the show is also brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys, trusted since eighteen seventy seven. I still love the hand of God that is holding this Quaker Oats bowl, that is representing Chris in the.
Speaker 6: Backs, in the in the in the middle of this.
Speaker 1: Look at this. This is incredible. Look at it.
Speaker 6: It's a hand holding the Quaker.
Speaker 1: Oats bowl, Chris in the bag. I love it.
Speaker 2: Chris is the hands of God that are keeping Missing on track. That's what it really stroll all right. Uh, before we get into Mike zimmer, I had a question on the text line from the two three one from one twenty three am the.
Speaker 11: Fact that he's thinking about talking cowboys at one twenty three it golded.
Speaker 6: Goat it got it, Gody, he asked question.
Speaker 2: And since we're early in the season, I want to I want to just explain it real quick. What is the thing that you do at the end of your podcast with your arms? And it's the Bushwhacker, right, Bushwacker A little from w W E w W f WW wrestling ode to the Bushwhackers. Uh, the Bushwacker brothers, right, yeah, okay, And I'm.
Speaker 6: Not a wrestling guy, so I just go along with it.
Speaker 11: To the bushwhackers and rest in peace. But it's also a shout out to Rob Phillips.
Speaker 1: Roppy Baby, Roppie Island.
Speaker 9: I love it. RP, who actually the starter.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he was the author of it on this podcast, and I was able to join in with you guys when he when it really had taken hold and Rob PI and I jumped off real quick because he's a wrestling nerd. I'm a wrestling nerd, So once I saw him doing that, I was like, ha ha, yeah, I want to.
Speaker 2: The one time that it was going to be tough because we've always had at least one wrestling nerd on the show. Usually it was Rob and and then heck my heck, my love's wrestling too, and you've got you've got Patrick on there, you've got Josh.
Speaker 6: But last year whenever we had not only do we.
Speaker 9: Have THEODA, yeah, that's he was almost.
Speaker 6: On the crying out for wrestling.
Speaker 2: So like we that was the those struggles, like trying to continue that tradition until we felt those last year.
Speaker 1: Rope. Yeah, so that's what we do.
Speaker 2: It's an ode to Rob p Island, to Rob Phillips, the Goat and then we've got some wrestling undertones to it as well, but it's just we've done it since what twenty twenty one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man shots out to whom?
Speaker 13: Then for Summerson, I didn't I didn't see the correlation.
Speaker 7: I didn't even know.
Speaker 1: I'm very disappointing.
Speaker 7: I didn't ay to be. I didn't need to be a.
Speaker 2: Very disappointed disappointed you too, Fire, So we weren't able to connect the dots there, but we're going to connect the dots to what some fans are are questioning whenever it comes to Mike zimmers defense sick.
Speaker 1: There you go transition, Pat.
Speaker 2: I know we had talked about it earlier, but base package sub package, just for the casual football fan, outline what the difference is between the two.
Speaker 11: So what I want to do is, because I have some numbers and trends here, I would like the former NFL player to go ahead and break down the bases and subs, and then what I would do is I'll follow up on irs and I'll give people some trends as far as what the Cowboys have done through the first two weeks and what Mike Zimmer typically does over the course of the season. Yeah, in the most simplistic form, Right, you have your base defense, meaning that you have four down linemen for this particular defense, four down linemen, three linebackers, two corners, two safeties. That's usually your your defense of personnel that you come out with. When you start talking.
Speaker 1: About your sub packages, now you're talking about matching the personnel of the opposing team. So obviously, if you come in with two tight ends or one tight end, then I'm going to probably stay with my base, right, my four down my three linebackers. If I come in with three receivers, it's probably most of the time it's not a good idea to stay with your four down linemen and three linebackers. You might want to go down to two linebackers and bring in an additional cornerback. So now you have two linebackers, three cornerbacks, two safeties, right, So then if what would that be called for the fans out there, that's the Nickel package, right. So then once you go to dime, okay, dime, now you're bringing in four cornerbacks, and then you have two safeties over the top typically, and you can even go from there right and go to five. There's a whole bunch of stuff that you can do. You can make whatever you want, right. But pretty much what we're getting at is most teams, most defensive coordinators sit in the box, right, Usually relatively difficult for defensive coordinators sit on the field. It's a different perspective unless they're just veterans okay, and they just understand the game. But most reason why most starting defensive coordinators sit in the box because they can see the personnel groupings that are coming in off the field. So when a play finishes, immediately the office of coordinator yells out eleven personnel eleven or whatever the name of it is. Right, So immediately the players know, all right, I'm going in to get a tight end out. I'm the receiver, I'm the third receiver, tight end, you come out. That's what it is. Now the defensive coordinator is looking on the sideline. He's like, okay, that's what they're coming in with. All right, now, I'm changing nickel nickel nickel, and they go in with their substitutions. So they're matching personnels to put them in the best situation possible to be able to handle whatever it is going to be presented on that play. Coach Zimra, as you'll get into doesn't necessarily always do that. Okay, they'll they'll come out with three receivers and most of the time if they go to four, he'll change. But if they go to three receivers, most defensive coordinators would go to Nickel. Yes, some defensive coordinators like, you know what, No, my system is my system. We're staying base, meaning that I'm gonna take one of my three linebackers now and just walk him out and have him just try to disrupt what your what you're what your slot receiver is now doing.
Speaker 7: Akaa Baltimore.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, So that is it in its most simplistic form. Some coaches, most coaches match personnel groupings based upon what's coming in. Some coaches don't because they're just that confident in their scheme. They are.
Speaker 11: And the thing is is that we're talking two sides of the coin between week one and week two. As far as how Zimmer called this game, each one of those games got some trends here. I was doing some some of my homework because yeah, science so versus the Browns, the Cowboys ran so like like I said, I said, so Nickel could be four three three four depending on what the base is supposed to be. Three man, three down man front, four down man front. Whatever the case, however, nickel could be seen as a subpackage unless it's run the majority of the time. The Cowboys ran Nickel against the Browns eighty nine percent of the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eight, That made nickel their base in that game.
Speaker 11: They ran their base in that game only eleven percent and zero of the Snaps had a four down man front.
Speaker 9: No, four to three.
Speaker 11: Okay, So these so the base was most pure.
Speaker 2: If you look at what they want to do as a defense, it's probably classified as multiple.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean that's because that's there's gonna be some some mundy, some money boarders as far as four to three?
Speaker 1: Correct? Whoever has down like that?
Speaker 7: And was that a Bill Belichick sort of.
Speaker 13: Ideal back whenever the Patriots were going seventeen and zher like. I think I feel like he was dates back even further than that, further than that, Okay.
Speaker 2: I might be mistaken. I'm based off of where I was looking at you because you played for Belichick. Yeah, I think that comes from that parcel except from the parcels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got it, there you go, now, so keep that in mind.
Speaker 11: So they ran nickel eighty nine percent against the Browns, based only eleven percent against the Browns.
Speaker 9: And this quite literally flips.
Speaker 1: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 9: These numbers are real. First's the Saints.
Speaker 11: They ran nickel eleven percent of the time and they ran base eighty nine percent.
Speaker 1: Of the time. So that like an actual complete flip.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and they got cooked for it.
Speaker 1: They got cooked. And just remind the people, let's go back a year, right, this this defense, a personnel grouping was founded on the basis of a nickel defense. So this personnel that you have is nickel. And we have this conversation when we were looking at defensive coordinators, I said, you don't currently have the personnel to run the defense that Mike Zimmer likes to run, both up front and in the second. Right, So now we start talking about the game that so far right, the work that we have to look at, the game in which you were the most impactful defensively. You ran the personnel groupings that from the roster from last year. Now when you try to say, okay, now I'm gonna do my system, my three linebackers, my four down guys, what happened?
Speaker 9: They got cooked? But in number support that as well.
Speaker 11: Thus far through the first two games, bass Package Split said, well, in the base, they're allowing seven point two yards per per play. Okay, in the nickel they're only allowing three point seven yards per play.
Speaker 9: This is a nickel personnel, yep.
Speaker 1: So because most people are gonna look at that and say, well, you're bigger in base. Yes, you are bigger in base, but if your personnel is smaller in stature, you might as well be faster. Yeah, if we're gonna be if we're gonna be smaller, we might as well be faster. Right, And that was the DQA, right, I mean, you were gonna use our lessis were we're smaller. Marky's bells faster than you're than your guard. So he's gonna run around your guys. Yeah right, Like that's what that's what he did right now. Sometimes if they get up on us, we're screwed, right, But if the offensive linemen get up on your smaller linebackers, you're screwed too. Yeah, right, So you might as well have the ability to dip, dive, dodge, dip and dive, so versus taking head off.
Speaker 11: And also what's interesting about Mike Zimmers. He doesn't like to swing too far to the other side and take additional linebackers off of the field unnecessarily, well, unnecessarily subjective, but in his eyes, unnecessarily. He hasn't run a single rep of dime coverage through two games, not a single one.
Speaker 9: Wow, and dime being one linebacker. Zimmer is not feeling that.
Speaker 1: Regardless of how athletic that linebacker may not happening, it's not happening with Mike Zimmer, so dime. So if Dime's not happening, you can count quarters out and quarters being the maximum amount of defensive backs that you can have at the expense of your linebackers. So, I mean, it seems like this is trending toward that.
Speaker 11: And this what's going to be interesting for Mike Zimmer because I look back at his years in Cincinnati as defensive coordinator. I looked at the twenty seventeen season with the Minnesota Vikings, which is when they went deep into the playoffs, and he ran a good bit of bass. So now comes the situation where how is he going to adapt to a nickel personnel, But he's trying to run his system over four to three A lot of time to figure it out, obviously with a seventeen game season plus hopefully the playoffs, but as sooner the better, and as we enter Week three against the Ravens, you don't know which version of Mike Zimmer is going to show up. As far as is he going to run full nickel? Is he going to run full base? I would advise just going back to full nickel, especially against a mobile quarterback in Lamar. It worked against de Sean put it back in.
Speaker 2: That was gonna be my question, what would you do? Would you play nickel dime? I think at this point is out of the question. Which is interesting because if you look back to dan Quinn last year, Dallas ran sixty percent of their snaps out of dime, which means of course extra DB's less linebackers.
Speaker 1: A lot of that was the average around the league.
Speaker 9: There was no one above twenty five percent at dime, and the.
Speaker 11: Average even lower, no one about twenty one was above twenty five percent.
Speaker 2: Part of that was because had sixty didn't have the linebackers, you had them pretty much.
Speaker 7: What percentage was nickel last week?
Speaker 1: Last week Nichol was eighty No No eleven percent.
Speaker 13: Last week eleven percent. And that's why you saw the dip in uh snaps for tomorrow.
Speaker 9: That is where the Marveo overshown comes into play. Bass versus sub.
Speaker 11: He's not been getting a lot of burning base if any, but he's getting a ton of it and like Nicholas sub packages right, So goes back.
Speaker 1: To my point.
Speaker 11: You want a spy, you want to use him as a spy, then you have to keep him on the field. And if he's not in your base, then it's going to be a lot of sub in order to keep him on the field.
Speaker 7: And the direct quote was not necessarily spy, but something like.
Speaker 11: It from him, something like that, something like something like it. And then Mike Zimmer said, yeah, it could be over.
Speaker 1: Shown or it could be Michael Parsons because that guy's pretty fast in the athletics.
Speaker 11: So one of the two, the Cowboys will have an eye on the March. They'll have an eye on that guy.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: So you would go Nickel Nickel on why why no demo and bass? Why not?
Speaker 11: Their explanation And I explain this on Twitter based on what I was told by Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 9: Don't shoot the messenger because.
Speaker 1: This is relaying, this is not me agreeing.
Speaker 11: But their explanation is because he's coming off with a torn a cl he missed the back end of the preseason and training camp with the hamstring injury, so particularly the latter took him off of the field wherein they could put him in those base package reps. So instead it was Mary's leofile getting the majority of the base package reps. So for me, that should mean that as more practices occur, you should see the marvel overshown in more base packages as the season goes along. This week is not the week for that because I don't want to see a lot of base packages, right, I want to see the nickels in the subs because you got to keep Lamar Jackson contained.
Speaker 1: So that's the explanation.
Speaker 11: Do I agree, No, But solution from that should be more practices, should be more base packages as the time goes on.
Speaker 1: What if what if Baltimore comes out and decides is to come downhill? Do you want your bass or do you want your nickel? Do you have the size for the base? Doesn't matter exactly, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 11: No, seriously, that's point right. Let's say you Let's say you want to commit to a four to three because it's it's Dereck Henry. He's coming downhill. We just start at the top of this episode with concerns that the defensive tackle position, and we saw how out, so it doesn't matter without at that point the scheme is defeated by the personnel, by the size of or like thereof, you know what I mean, So you might as well go with your speed and focus more on containing Lamar Jackson while tasking the guys up front to do.
Speaker 1: You know what they just just for perspective, if the Dallas Cowboys nose tackle, right, if you had a nose nose tackle, right's nose tackles are usually the terminology just used for three four defense. But nose tackle or one technique, however you want to call it, is three hundred pounds, right, yeah, Dallas on average on average, right, three hundred pounds, right. Mazi's like two ninety probably, and then we got Osa probably to eighty five to ninety, right, so we're around the three hundred mark. Is not a one tack though, he's not. He's not, but I mean, but he's kind of all you gets. You got car so Jordan, I mean, you got Jordan Phillips. You got lynnfel Joseph right, those guys about.
Speaker 9: Three Carlos Wadi Watt might Carlos.
Speaker 1: I don't think Carlos three hundred. Haven't seen him the So this is three or five. So think about so Dallas is Dallas's interior defensive lineman average is about three hundred, okay, yeah, and they're starting is three hundred, maybe three or five. At the beginning of camp, the Baltimore Ravens first point of contact on the defensive line is three hundred and fifty five pounds.
Speaker 9: It's a lot of a lot of beef, a lot of beef, and the.
Speaker 1: Next man overs three hundred and forty pounds. I wonder what that. So when you guys are thinking about and we talked about this a little bit yesterday, right when you start talking about the ability to stop the run, it starts with those interior guys, and it has less to do with ability unless you are freaking Aaron Donald.
Speaker 7: Yes, right, he is the except exception.
Speaker 1: And Aaron Donald was to ninety right, but he was a explosive and quick to ninety right, and that's the only reason why he didn't get mood off the ball and solid, solid built. Yeah, built four tough. So understand the difference in the scheme in what you're trying to do and what you're allowed to do based upon your personnel. It has nothing to do with these guys' abilities. I'm not taking a shot at that. I'm just saying that in the game of football in the trenches, size matters. Tyler Biades wasn't big enough. He wasn't big enough to an initiate to run the ground game that you wanted. I didn't say anything about talent. I said his size dictated his ability. And the same thing goes for this style of defense that he's trying to instill, and we're going to find out a lot about it. We had one shot of it in Cleveland, right, versus two out of three guys a two out of five guys on office line were backups, right, but they took care of business. Dallas did that I'm talking about, and then last week we got disrespected right. New Orleans just moved us off the ball. Right, So we have a sample size of good. We have a sample sizes really bad. You're about to find out at the core who you have on defense. On a defensive front, regardless of personnel. How effective can this defense be with this personnel. You're going to find out really quick when those guys decided to put their hand in the ground.
Speaker 11: And also be careful with the four to three in this in this coming off of the Saints game, because if you look at the Saints game, go back and look at some of the more explosive plays they were in that base four to three yep, right, So that fifty seven yard catch and run from Alvin Kamara, that was a four to three. Okay, that's seventy yarder from Rashid Shahid that was a four to three, right, So learn.
Speaker 1: In a big part and I want people to understand this if you go back and watch the film. Okay, when we talk about base and we talk about nickel and diamond, all these things. When you're in a base package, okay, and you have three linebackers sitting behind those four defensive linemen. Even if you have an eleven personnel, which is three receivers, and you have a slot receiver, most of the time, almost every time, you're never going to take your outside linebacker and walk him all the way over the top of your slot. He's literally usually going to be on an inside shade, which means if I'm running the ball to that side outside the pocket, right outside the tackle box, you don't have leverage. As a defense. You don't as a defensive defensive unit. You don't have any leverage. If my right tackle or tight end on that side can get and hook the defensive end. Your next man over that has leverage is the linebacker or that linebackers out leveraged by who by a receiver. And if you have a receiving unit that's willing to get in there and get dirty, now you're now walling that line linebacker in. Now, the next man that can make a play is either your corner who has a man that could block him to which is an outside receiver, or if he takes care of his job, your next man that could do anything is your safety. And I saw it over and over and over again last week by staying in base that they were out leveraged and always were getting sealed, getting sealed by the by the tackles, getting sealed by the guards, receiling, and then as you walked all the way outside to the defense outside the box, the linebacker was getting blocked by the receivers. The next man was getting blocked by receiver, and then the safety was coming down and he was getting cracked on by a receiver. Everybody was out leveraged. Go back and watch it. It was a lot of crack. But what we call crackback blocks always the receivers coming down and blocking you in because you're already inside of me inside and said inside my on alignment.
Speaker 7: Just fundamentally defeated.
Speaker 1: Just from an alignment bases alone, I come out as as even if I'm running a bubble screen. If I'm come out and and I see you as your linebacker is the furthest man outside the tackle box, and I see my receivers outside of him, another receiver out there, and I see a cornerback. If everybody does their job, we win. Ye, just off a leverage of moment. Anybody who watched the game last night, watched the Jets game. Aaron Rodgers did it all night long. Aaron Rodgers did it all night. There's plenty of times where he came up there and was like, that's what y'all gonna do? Cool? Here you go take the ball. Adam Lazaris scored on it. Yep, you want to play eight ten yards off. Cool, here you go, this is not even to play. But guess what, he's gonna get the ball, because right now, my guys could beat my guy could beat your guy one on one, and I'm gonna give him the ball immediately, and then your guy has to make a perfect play.
Speaker 2: And that's how they ended up winning twenty four to three last exactly. And that's how the Cowboys could possibly win this week. Possibly we're talk about against the Baltimore Ravens, but will we actually pick them to win this week?
Speaker 1: Our Pickham segment, give.
Speaker 6: Us a call eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven.
Speaker 2: First one on the phone line gets to be our fan representative this week and try and follow up what we've had from Mike and New York.
Speaker 6: Nebby as well.
Speaker 2: We've got plenty of representation that gets that color line back down a little bit, sorry, buddy.
Speaker 6: Eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. Our Picktum segment is next.
Speaker 1: That's right there.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 14: Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G.
Speaker 8: Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 3: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. Se atd dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 16: It's the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash cows with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 12: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer Life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 1: Would you, dear.
Speaker 6: Doctor, My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 12: But what's the right gift that says thanks for beinging the soldier to cry out. Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 2: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store.
Speaker 6: And pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee. Today to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This segment of the show is brought to you by in fizz Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Glad you're with us here on a sale with your chest for writing. It is time for our Pickham segment.
Speaker 1: And it's time to update the Pickham standing. Let's update them.
Speaker 6: Chris Beam is the one that is now handling all of our.
Speaker 1: Numbers, so that way you can't blame me for winning again. Just so you know, I've won it twice and you've blamed me again. And so he's the one that's running the numbers.
Speaker 6: Chris, I missed who was the leader in the clubhouse.
Speaker 2: That would be.
Speaker 6: Patrick No c Walker.
Speaker 1: She has ten points, yeah, ten wins. What's the regy? Four losses? Four losses? Yes, ten wins, four losses. Kyle is nine and five.
Speaker 6: Okay, Josh is nine and five, the fans are nine and five.
Speaker 1: There you go, and stand back is nine and three. How many losses do I have?
Speaker 6: You've got three loss three losses?
Speaker 1: I mean, who has the least amount of losses? Who who has the most wins?
Speaker 6: But this is this is part of the news segment that we're segment.
Speaker 1: We've got to get your dog. You got to get your dog. Right, they're building a system against me.
Speaker 6: Of all people you should know about dogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at least amount of losses, Huskies, same amount of that's all the same.
Speaker 2: If you want to get your dog right this week, then maybe we can talk about it a little bit.
Speaker 1: We got this. Let's welcome in.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, let's welcome in our fan representative this week. It's Brian and Colorado.
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 17: Brian, Hey, good morning.
Speaker 10: Up.
Speaker 17: Funny, you guys are talking about dogs. I have a mobile dog watching business, so I know more about dogs than anybody.
Speaker 1: Well, let you start it out.
Speaker 2: Then here's our possible dogs and the way that we do this if you get it right, it's twos wins two year total as the year goes on, and it's all teams that are underdogged by at least a touchdown six points or more.
Speaker 16: So.
Speaker 2: Possible dogs this week the Broncos, the Giants, the Panthers, Dolphins, Rams, Jaguars, Commanders.
Speaker 1: Those are the teams. I'll run through it one more time.
Speaker 2: Broncos, Giants, Panthers, Dolphins, Rams, Jags and then the Commanders. Brian will let you start it off. Since you know of all about these dogs, who or is your dog going into the week.
Speaker 17: Oh yeah, Well I was thinking Commanders at first, because I don't think the Bengals should be favored seven and a half over anybody. But I think I gotta go with the Rams here. Both teams are beat up and I think it'll be a field goal game.
Speaker 1: So give me the Rams, all righty, what do you think, Isaiah? I don't even know who they're playing is, so I come back around to oh yeah, okay, so I can go back through that. I need to start just putting the matchups together, all right.
Speaker 2: It is the Broncos playing the Buccaneers, the Giants and Browns, Panthers and Raiders, Dolphins and Seahawks, forty nine Ers and Rams, Commanders and Bengals.
Speaker 1: So those are the those are the teams.
Speaker 6: I'll go ahead and pick one. I think this is going to be an interesting one.
Speaker 2: The Raiders are coming off of a hot win last week against the team that the Cowboys are playing this week, in the Baltimore Ravens. They made a switch at quarterback. Andy Dalton, the red Rifle is now the starter in Carolina. Give me the Panthers as my dog this week. I feel a little crazy doing it because their favorite. They're underdogs by seven points. But give me Carolina with a passion win over Las Vegas this week.
Speaker 1: Definitely crazy.
Speaker 13: I'm going with the Jags over the Bills this week Monday Night football. I want to see Trevor Lawrence do his thing.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 11: You know what, This is going to be crazy, but something just feels right about it. I'm going Rams over forty nine Ers, even though the Rams have issues with their top two receivers injury wise in their own in two. They're in Los Angeles and McVeigh always gets his guys ready for the forty nine ers.
Speaker 7: You think forty nine's gonna drop two in a row?
Speaker 1: I said it was crazy, all right, Isaiah, we need you to hear Canners. Let's go Commanders, all right.
Speaker 2: Texans at Vikings, big time matchup between two teams that are undefeated.
Speaker 1: Josh, we'll let you start.
Speaker 6: Ooh Texans Texans.
Speaker 1: Where they play at Minnesota. MM I'm taking Sam Donald, gim me Houston, c J Stroud, baby got the Neil Hunter.
Speaker 6: Brian.
Speaker 17: As much as I'd like to see an upset in this one, I think that Texans will win by a field goal or so would this be.
Speaker 6: An upset Eagles at the Saints. Would the Saints be the team as the upsetter or maybe?
Speaker 1: I don't know. What do you think? I'm going Saints, going Saints. I'm going New Orleans too. They impressed me last week.
Speaker 7: Saints for sure.
Speaker 9: It's actually going to cook that second.
Speaker 17: Brian, I agree, shegls going down.
Speaker 6: Yes, go take that.
Speaker 2: Philly Packers at Titans, the Malik Willis revenge game, going back to Tennessee, the team that drafted him but never played him, and they traded him to Green Bays all of a sudden the starter because of the injury to Jordan Love.
Speaker 6: Brian, will let you start it off.
Speaker 17: See to win both both of their first two games, and they've let me down. So I'm gonna go third times to charm here tantaseem.
Speaker 1: Tennessee at home, Isaiah, I like the Packers. I think Jordan Lov comes back this week. Well, Malik Willis is the quarterback here as he back. I think he's he's there saying he might come back.
Speaker 7: Trending back.
Speaker 2: I wanted to be the Malik Willis revenge game. Either way, I think the Packers win nice. I'm going I hope Tony Pollard has a really good game here. I'm going with the Titans with or without Jordan.
Speaker 11: With Jordan, love them taking the Packers, but without Joan, love them taking the Packers because of the floor.
Speaker 2: Ah Shanahan Tree, Yeah, someone hurts Chargers at Steelers, Chargers at the Steelers.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take mister.
Speaker 2: Harpball me should Jim Harball on the road against the Steelers, who are two and oh right now, I'm taking Zeus, taking Zeus.
Speaker 7: I'm going with the Steelers. I'm going with Steelers on this one. I want to see, I want to see.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm taking charges on this one.
Speaker 6: Chargers, Brian, Steelers d is no.
Speaker 17: Joke, and I think they'll be able to shut down dobbyin So give me the Steelers at home.
Speaker 1: Russell Wills against his job back this week. Chiefs at the Falcons. This is a fun, sneaky one. I mean Matt Ryan and company or two and oh they're at home? Could you could you know? No, nobody Chiefs And I'm gonna take Patty Patty Ice. You can't bet against them, Brian.
Speaker 17: I like, I like the Falcons there. They are riding high off off of Monday night, but I think they get it done. Chiefs just lost the chick out, so I think they'll have a down week.
Speaker 2: Give it good for you differ these picks a little bit, so we're all going Chiefs all right here? Here's the one. Yeah, except except for Brian. He'll get the chance to start us off. Ravens at Cowboys. Week three of the NFL season is here. It's only the seventh time these two teams have met. The Cowboys are one and five against Baltimore all time. Their last win, though, did come at AT and T Stadium back in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 6: Brian from Colorado, Who you got in this one?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 17: Eric Kendricks has a boutback game. McCarthy comes back to his census on the on the running rotation, running back rotation, and rain Dakota Prescott proved who the real MVP should have been last year thirteen twenty seven to twenty three. Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Here we go, Eh. I like that.
Speaker 6: That's a sprinkled in little drop right there.
Speaker 1: Well done, dat. You appreciate the call.
Speaker 2: As always, Here we go, Thanks for listening, Thanks for calling and being involved. Brian in Colorado with a great pick. I'm gonna let Isaiac go last? Yeah, who you got with.
Speaker 1: The wire shirt on?
Speaker 13: With the wire shirt on? This is Baltimore we're talking about, but we are Omar.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, and a man has to have a code.
Speaker 13: However, we know the fate of Omar and the wire. I'm going I hate this Baltimore thirty one Cowboys twenty seven monster, I hate it.
Speaker 11: Okay, So I had to score right last last week. Team slipped wrong team. But you know, going into the season, I had them defeating the Saints and losing to Baltimore. But now they flipped it on me because this team doesn't lose to in a row twelve and two, and we're also talking about two in a row in the regular season at home. I think Cowboys offense bounce back. I think the secondary with the Ravens are going to be absolutely overmatched. If the Cowboys don't try to establish the run, they can torch this secondary. Not predicting the forty predicting the forty burger. But give me thirty to ten Cowboys take to win.
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 11: So like I said, thirty to twenty, I was like, oh man, wow, score win thirty to twenty Cowboys win, but ten I liked.
Speaker 2: The score that Brian and Colorado gave twenty seven to twenty three. I think that's about what this game is going to be because I think Dallas isn't going to be be gashed in this game, but they are going to struggle to slow down Lamar and Jackson when it matters most. I think it comes down to a late drive. Give me Baltimore to win it. Twenty seven twenty three.
Speaker 6: I just need to see more.
Speaker 2: I need to see more my question marks around this team going into the year where the defensive tackle position in the run game, and neither one of those I'm confident in going into Week.
Speaker 1: Three more than I was last week. Passed the ball. Now, this is North Texas, Baby Burt in the game tomorrow. So twenty seven to thirteen, No, twenty seven, Let's go twenty seven to sixteen, twenty seven sixteen the Cowboys. Most Cowboys carry a six shooter, right the Cowboys? Of what he used? Three of the those bullets through the first eight quarters of the game. I mean, they only have three bullets left. And I don't know how if you guys, I don't know if you guys know about about Ravens, but there's some pretty persistent birds, and there's some big freaking birds. They're like supersized crows. What do they sound like? I don't know, but I know that Ravens I'm doing that. I'm not doing that. There's a lot of ravens over there. They have they have a raven and Derrek, Henry have a raven and Lamar Jackson. They have a U a freaking za Flowers, and then they have a whole nother batchup them on defense. So I think that there's too many birds for the three left the three shots that are left in the six shoot of the of the Dallas Cowboys. So I got to go with the Baltimore Ravens on this one.
Speaker 2: M This might be the first time that we've had like three different people pick against the Cowboys in one occasion.
Speaker 6: We usually do pick Dallas. Dallas is a good football team.
Speaker 1: I just don't tell you.
Speaker 11: I think the Ravens game if they had one against the Saints like I thought they would if but they lost against the Saints in the fashion in which they did, and you got to come out kicking some ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Dallas has lost two games at home, Yeah, last two, the last two at home, which so three. But what's the braven, what's the greater probability Dallas losing three games at home starting.
Speaker 11: Three, because you could argue that both are extremely unlikely, because both are extremely unlikely.
Speaker 1: But one of them's gotta give. Cowboys take it.
Speaker 6: That does it for us.
Speaker 2: This week, you're talking cowboys. Hope you have some fun with us throughout. We'll be back on Monday, Monday, Winter lose to break it all down. I don't need a second mic. Come Monday, we'll break it all down. It'll be a victory Monday, and we're gonna have these Uh, we're gonna have these great, great shirts to take a look of court to you three.
Speaker 7: I hope I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: I hope I am too.
Speaker 6: That doesn't for us.
Speaker 2: For Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah's stand back, Chris Beam in the hand of God in the back.
Speaker 1: I'm Kyle. I gonna say so on go Cowboys, We'll see you on Monday.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboy is put forth for dire