Speaker 1: Sunday afternoon in Baltimore, the Oriols ended a ten game stretch of games against the two best teams not just in their division, but in the American League. The Rays, the Yankees, and the Rays. They played for the last ten games. They lose Sunday against the Rays three to one, taping the show after that game five and five stretch in that ten game run, and now sixty three and sixty eight for the season ed Welcome into Berdland territory with Steve Maluski, Brad Brock, Tim Barbelace. This is how mediocre the American League is.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 1: At the start of this ten game stretch, the Oriols were two out for the third wild card, trailing five teams, and so as of this morning, before this loss, they were one game out trailing three teams in going five and four. So you don't have to win a lot of games to gain ground in this media or race, but they did lose ten games off the calendar. How do you guys size up the whole stretch of the last ten games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think kind of going into it, you were hoping for six and four, and especially when they win the first three games of the ten, you're thinking, man, maybe if they go seven and three or something like that. But the five and five, I think you're still above water. You're still in the race, and you didn't go three and seven, you didn't go two and eight, So I think you kind of take the five and five. Yes, I think it's a little disappointing when you look at the winning the first three and then you finish kind of two and five in the last seven. But you know what, against the best teams in the American League five hundred, you're probably taken.
Speaker 4: You got to get your wins against everybody else.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of the way I look at it.
Speaker 5: It's sort of just been like the season, right, this roller coaster ride, and I think heading into this ten game stretch, I think you would take five and five going against two of the better teams in the American League.
Speaker 6: In the American League.
Speaker 5: But Brad, like you said, you know, expectations kind of changed and they ebb and flow throughout the season. So when you take the first three of the ten, yeah, you're getting greety and you're thinking, oh, it's got to be six wins at a minimum. Maybe you can go seven and three and really shock everybody. But it's just a lot of inconsistencies. And right now, you know, the O's kind of owned the Rays and the Yankees have kind of owned the Orioles, and it's just it ends up being a wash.
Speaker 6: It ends up being a five and five stretch.
Speaker 1: So today the storyline was familiar. Unfortunately for Shane Boz who has luck this year, it's just all bad. And today he's pitching a gem nothing, nothing to the six two outs, nobody on. He's rolling through six scoreless. When that ground balls hit to the left of Jackson Holiday was hit one hundred and eight, so yeah, that's some pace on it.
Speaker 2: It looked at a boll. Jackson didn't get it.
Speaker 1: That led to three runs being scored, and the Orioles on a day they get two hitch loose three to one. I say that was not routine. It was a little north of routine. But what did not take an exceptional play. I don't think they're going to score an air obviously, then Jackson's gonna probably tell us he should have had that ball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's kind of what it comes down to.
Speaker 3: It wasn't the easiest play, but you think a normal major or I would say, like above average major league infielders, they make that play, and I think Jackson would say he probably should have had it.
Speaker 4: But at the end of the day, when you're.
Speaker 3: Pitching, you're on the mound, it's one hit, you know, and then you just got to get out of the inning. It's a single into right field and not a huge deal. Shane would probably say, he's just got to get out of that inning, but unfortunately he just he's running into bad luck. Like you said, Steve, It's just blows my mind. It's one of those weird baseball anomalies where certain pitchers just do not get run support. And today he pitched well enough to get a win and they didn't score a run for him. And it's just kind of been the stretch he's had all year. The fact that he's four and fourteen on the season with how well he's been pitching just doesn't make any sense to me. And it's just kind of one of those weird baseball stats that I feel like happens to at least somebody on a team every single year, and Shane Boz it just happens to be him this year.
Speaker 5: It's like such an extreme guys, you know next year he's due for so much run support, right, people has to swing so bad in the right direction in twenty twenty seven for Shane Boz, but Madison, they kept flashing so many different graphics today when it comes to Shane Boz and his outings, and I was shocked by.
Speaker 6: All of them.
Speaker 5: In his last twelve starts, the Orioles have given them fifteen runs of support and the one that really jumped out to me, guys, they're two and nine when Shane Boz has a quality start two and nine, there's thirty one and nine when anyone else has a quality start on this staff.
Speaker 6: So it's bizarre.
Speaker 5: You know, he's given up the most unearned runs on the team, but he's been a bulldog and he's really I don't think he's really had it affect him in a negative way because he still goes out there every fifth, sixth day and you know what you're getting out of him. He's a bulldog and he gets gets you deep in games.
Speaker 1: No, I think he's a real pro. He had that one jam look bad for him. He gets a double play, rolls that and just has never said one discouraging word about the clubhouse the offense, and it wouldn't get him anywhere. It's a team game there there sometime along the wayne in his career, maybe not this year, he's gonna give up six and they're gonna score eight. You know, that's that's gonna happen too. But Brad, what is what do you think is the mindset of Boz when this lack of offense keeps happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think it's a it's a start to start thing. But I think in the back of his mind he probably is thinking, I got to go out there and give up no runs.
Speaker 4: You know, that's the best way.
Speaker 3: To possibly get a win is give up none and hopefully we score one and I'll have a shot at a win. But I really like to comment Jim Palmer me today. He just said, you know, it's not really working out for Shane this year, but pitching in these tight games like he has all year long is going to really help him further on down his career road.
Speaker 4: And I think pitching in these types of games really helps you win.
Speaker 3: You need to have a big start in a close game, two to one game, three to two game. He's made pitches like this all season long, where the offense hasn't been scoring, he's had to keep the other teams offense down, so unfortunately, I mean, who knows, maybe the next month get he gets on a roll here and the offense scores some runs. His overall record is not going to look great, but I think moving forward into next year and the seasons after that, he's going to look back at this season and really think about all the big time pitches he's had to make throughout the year, and I think it's only going to help him be a better pitcher further on down the road.
Speaker 5: No, I completely agree where it's just every single inning he's in, it's high leverage because the game is just up for perhaps because he's not given up much, especially over this last seventeen eighteen start stretch, and obviously the Orioles just haven't been scoring in many runs. It's a great point by Jim Palmer, you know, just he will be better having gone through this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this guy was back today. We'll touch on it a little later in the show, The Return of the Mountain. Felix Bautista pitched at double A today. We'll tell you more about that. It didn't go great, but he was back in the game. That was the most important thing, and he was healthy and throwing for double a chesapeak. Today we'll touch on that, and we got some offensive stats to give you in a minute.
Speaker 2: And also I want.
Speaker 1: To tell you about the fact that the Orioles did something for one hundred and twenty one straight games that they did not do on Sunday against Tampa. Will note that in a minute on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 7: Hey, for those of you that are on your phone's very often, or even if you don't use it much, you should check out your wireless bill and make sure that it is treating you well. In summertime. You're feeling good, right, aj, But are you spending too much on your wireless bill? And should mintmobile get involved?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 8: Some of them has two college aged kids got They're always on their phone, whether it's they're checking their snap, they're checking their DMS, they're checking their Twitter. I need fifteen dollars a month because I need unlimited quality coverage that Mintmobile provides.
Speaker 7: They get that new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill to fifteen dollars a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 7: No catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required availability, speed and coverage barriers CEE mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 1: So the Oriols lose Sunday to Tampa Bay three to one, they go two and four. On the home stand, they are sixty three and sixty eight for the season, thirty one game to go. They would need to win nineteen to have a winning season nineteen and twelve or better. The caveat here is they might not need that many to get in the playoffs. That crazy it is in American league where you may not have to have a winning season to get in this year. But I teased that stat guys. The Oriols going going into today had gone one hundred and twenty one straight games, drawing at least one walk since April sixth, and they did not have a walk today. In this three to one loss. You only had two hits, which, by the way, Colton Towser was two for three. Everybody else was over for twenty seven in that strange including Pete Alonzo, who's fourteen game hitting streak ended. But look at this that this one is disappointing to me. Go back to that Tampa Bay series at the trop they scored twenty six runs in four games, eleven for thirty three runners in scoring position. Last six games Yankees and Rays, they scored fourteen runs and they went two for twenty nine. Describes the Oriole season in a nutshell. Ten games against good teams, great for some of them and miserable for the rest, and almost never a middle ground for these guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's I think the most the most shocking thing is that there isn't the middle ground ever. I feel it's been extremes almost all year. It's been really really good or really really poor, and it's just just odd that they can't seem to like just keep the momentum, like we've talked about at nauseam on this show is just keeping the momentum going. It's just been really hard for them to keep positive, you know, gameplay going throughout the season, whether it was the pitching, whether it was a hitting, they can't seem to line them up. And then you look at this, I mean, twenty six runs in those four games in Tampa and then eleven for thirty three and then the two for twenty nine at home, runners in scoring position. I mean, that's that's really tough to win games when you're not getting runners in when they're at second base, and that's I mean, why you go to four or two and six or sorry, two and four at home in this homestand and kind of why they got that five and five record the last ten games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it just perfectly illustrates why it's been so difficult for this team to go on sustained runs because they're just not able to have any type of consistency. You know that they only have one win streak over four games, and that was the seven game winning streak, So they're gonna have to go on a run here at some point to get into this final wildcard spot. But it's just disappointing because I remember doing the show last Sunday where the Orioles took the first three against the Rays, and you're buying into this offense, and even losing last Monday against the Rays, that the offense still scored and you know, Cano gave it up late. But I was buying the turnaround because it just seemed like, for the first time in a while, there were multiple guys going at the same time.
Speaker 6: It wasn't just Pete, for example.
Speaker 5: But it's just kind of reverted over the past handful of games since that point. You know, it's been good seeing Beavers swing it well. He had three straight games with a home run, having that walk off. I mean, he's mister walkoff guys, four walk offs already in his young career. Sam had a big moment yesterday. But there's gotta be more to the party. It can't just be Pete Alonzo.
Speaker 1: It was interesting Saturday night interviewing Abernas after the game, and of course he batted with a man on what this man on second for Dylan and no oubts.
Speaker 6: Right, he was a leadoff hitter, yes, tent okay, yep.
Speaker 1: So he says to him, you can bun him over, but I trust you to hit away like he's you know, you're you do what you want to do. I think that's a lot of trust in the young player who still is technically a rookie, and he's certainly swinging it maybe by the way, which the Birdman territory bump for Dylan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, coming about delay since we have on the show.
Speaker 1: Guy now can't get him out, especially in the clutch, and I think that really bodes well for his future, don't.
Speaker 2: You, guys.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not predicting starting the eight hundred ops all Star appearances, but I think he can be a solid hitter. And if you're coming through in those spots, I think eventually you're gonna start coming through in a lot of spots throughout nine innings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: I think it's it can only builde well for his future and for his career when he's got all the tools and if you can throw the clutch tool and they're also I mean, you have a player that's like he may, like you said, maybe not a superstar or maybe not an All Star, but a very very consistent major league player when you're getting runners in when they're on second base, and I think he does a really good job with that. And like we said, we've talked about his defense, we've talked about his base running. Obviously has the power, He's got it all there. And I think you know that when you have the managers kind of blessing, like he said, still in his rookie season, that shows a lot. And I think that letting him swing away there against one of the better relievers in all the American League in the tenth inning on Saturday shows a lot. And I think it shows that his future is going to be right here in Birdland.
Speaker 2: Such a smart hitter.
Speaker 6: And see we've said that this is someone that's still a rookie. He hasn't played that many games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he hasn't played many games yet, and and to have this many walk offs, and and look, he has all the tools. He's a really athletic player, and when he's going well, he's going to give you a professional at bat. But you know, Craig albern has clearly has the trust of him. And I think he even said during one of his walkoffs, slow heartbeat is what he called Dylan Beavers.
Speaker 6: And look, this.
Speaker 5: Is kind of the land of opportunity in terms of next year for this outfield, because there's probably not a position group on this team that's more in flux. So if you're Dylan Beavers, if you're anyone in that outfield, you have a nice thirty game runway here where you can make an impression on Michael ISAs in this front office and say, hey, you know I deserve to be in the opening day starting lineup in this outfield in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Beavers is such a smart player he's talking about you know, I wanted him to bring the ball up, but I knew I had to react to the change up, so I was gonna make sure he didn't get a high fastball by me, and I could also adjust to the change up, which he did get a change up. I believe that bitch he drilled off the wall to win the game. So he's such a cerebral player. I saw that on the farm man deep thinker. Somehow he's able to take all that deep thinking and turn it into a play where he can hit ninety six. You know, he don't have a lot of time to think there when that's happening. And I like what Dustin Lynn said about today the Oriols hitting coach.
Speaker 2: He said he's got a high floor.
Speaker 1: By that, he said, this a really good contact hitter, really good strike zone. In other words, the bottom he could be is here, but the top could be up here. And you know, we know he's going to be certain level good. We're just waiting to see what level that finds itself at.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that's a great way to describe him.
Speaker 3: I think he, like you said, his cerebral hitter, but he's got the tools to back up his approach. And I think that's when you know, very good players come out or guys that have the thinking but can I mean, like you said, you're trying to react to ninety seven at the top of the zone, but you're able to drop the head on the change up.
Speaker 4: But there's only.
Speaker 3: Certain players that have the tools that are able to do that. He's one of those players, and I think the thinking side of things can help take him to that next level.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I really like that quote from Dustin Lynn because I think when you look at Beaver's and again this is still a small sample size for his MLB career, he definitely has the makings of a player that can last in this league. Now is he going to be a superstar. We shall see. I don't think we know Dylan Beaver's ceiling at this point, and you know he's continuing to grow as a major league player. But I am with Dustin Lynn. I think he does have a high floor in this in MLB.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, Dylan defense could use some improvement.
Speaker 2: He might agree with us.
Speaker 1: Even on the farm, the reports I got and what little I saw was better than what we've seen in the major league. So I'm not sure what drills or work or facility he can go to the winner. We hear oftentimes about hitting and bat speed and all that, But what helps you get better on d better jumps, better read so forth. That's something I think Dylan, and he being such a driven kid, no doubt we'll look at that too and say, maybe that is something I got to spend some time on this winner. So there's more to come in his scheme, I think, is what we're all saying. Yeah, and that's kind of exciting for him and the Orioles. So there are sixty three and sixty eight after the loss today, when we come back, let's talk about Samuel Basil. A couple of guns to second base, today man that hose was good. And Felix Bautista, he's got a pretty good arm on his own, and he pitched.
Speaker 2: Today a little bit in DOUBLEA.
Speaker 1: We'll check in on those two young Orioles next.
Speaker 7: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. It's all in a setting that works for your family, and K twelve has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals.
Speaker 6: For the future.
Speaker 7: K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support. Hey, we've heard Todd father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling and it's really helped them for a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K twelve Powered Schools can help unlock your child's full potential. En Roll online today at K twelve dot com. Slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul K twelve dot com slash fowl.
Speaker 1: Well, I was in really Friday to do some interviews. I wasn't there today, but the big man was. Felix Bautista got to start in the SpongeBob jersey in the miners today for the double A Chesapeake Bay Sox as they played a really good Richmond Flying Squirrels team. His final line, You're not gonna like it birdland the third of an inning, one hit, three runs, three walks, no strikeouts. He gave up two steals as well when he was on the mound. Twenty two pitches, just ten strikes and so, guys, the results weren't great. The fact he was pitching for the first time since July twentieth, twenty twenty five was And I just got to believe the Orioles after two major surgeries Tommy John and then last August. Thing now was Labram. This is gonna be ultra conservative.
Speaker 2: They can't.
Speaker 1: They just can't rush this guy. He means too much in their future. After all this work to get to this point. You don't just bliss him through the final five or ten yards.
Speaker 3: No, definitely not. And I think the biggest thing is just he's healthy. As long as he's out there, he's pitching, results mean absolutely nothing, and it's it's tough when you're trying to come back to the major leagues. You're rehabbing, and you're in the minor leagues and they know the guy. He's on the major league roster and he's just rehabbing, and things are just different when you're out there. I've always seen guys go out and just that it just doesn't look right, and then they get called up and all of a sudden, they're back to the guy you see on TV. So it's a weird thing. But my biggest thing is just how he feels tomorrow. And I think that's all the ools are worried about it. Obviously, you want to see him throw a little bit more strikes, but he's back out on a mound pitching and throwing. Steve said ninety five ninety seven, that's to me, that's what you want to see. And just see how he feels the day after he pitches. That's the biggest thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just think expectations need to be tempered when it comes to Felix Batista. I don't think it's fair to him, you know, to expect Peak Mountain coming off those type of third uries. And I think I said this last episode guys, when he went that torn labram and rotator cuff surgery, I thought he was done. I did not expect to see Felix Baaltist to pitch again.
Speaker 6: So I think he deserves so much credit.
Speaker 5: I think the Orioles medical staff, everyone involved with his rehab deserves a ton of credit. The fact that he is even pitching blows me away. And I know that. I think he told the beat guys, Steve, you know he's gonna move to Norfolk, I believe, on Tuesday.
Speaker 6: But this is gonna be a progression.
Speaker 5: You know, this isn't gonna be a situation where Felix is getting called up next week. You know, it's it's gonna be a process to get him back right.
Speaker 1: Norfolk is playing at Durham starting Tuesday night, so he'll make that trip a little south at Durham Athletic Park and pitch there. Speaking of my minor leaguers, I love I gotta give you this stat. Look at this. Since June nineteenth, w A Chesapeake has the best team ERA all of Minor league baseball, and dating to the end of July, their starters have a double A best two fifty nine ERA more strikeouts than innings, and Friday, I interviewed their three top one hundred pitchers.
Speaker 2: That was really cool.
Speaker 1: I talked to Anthony Ions and Joseph Jerwan and Caden Hunter. These are three aces they've got down Bowie, They've got guy. They got guy named Sebastian Gongora pitch well today who no one ever talks about, is not in the top thirty. A lefty they got, so they they got a stud rotation. It's fun to watch. They're probably gonna come up a little bit short of the playoffs, but those guys are pushing each.
Speaker 2: Other, Brad.
Speaker 1: When I talk to them, they're they're really a team within a team and growing and developing together.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's great having those three guys, like you said, and then having the other guys trying to compete with them. It's it creates healthy competition between guys on the team, and when you're in the minor leagues, it's it's kind of hard to understand that when you get to the big leagues, you're you're not your own entity. You're still with but you still have your career that gets kind of brought to the forefront once you're in the major leagues. But it's great having guys that you play with that are major league quality players and you get to see on a daily basis and you're pushing each other to put up good results, and I think that can only help these guys get better. When I was coming up in the minor leagues, I think we had I want to say it was twenty or twenty one guys from my low A team made it to the major leagues at some point. And when you're playing around that much talent on an everyday basis, it really pushes you to want to be considered one of those guys. And I think when you have three guys in a rotation like that, it's kind of like, Okay, you did this yesterday, I'm going to go out there tomorrow and do better, and that's healthy. I think it's great to have that, and I think those guys can only push each other to get better.
Speaker 6: It's exciting.
Speaker 5: You know, we've been talking about just how this farm system is really jumped up, you know, Baseball America had them fifteenth and now they're fifth in the span of a month, you know, just the influx of talent through the draft obviously at the trade deadline, and Steve had a chance to talk to Anthony Iinson immediately the day after his last.
Speaker 6: Start where he went seven innings.
Speaker 5: It was the first time in his professional career up until this point that he completed six innings. He completed seven, and just what a great kid, like, what a great guy.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: We asked him about what is it like having that type of start, and he was saying, look, we didn't win the game, so really I don't even view it that way.
Speaker 6: It just gave all the right answers.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure the others Steve really any of the times that were at Chesapeake, can we interview these guys. They're all just really, really good dudes. But it's a very talented system right now, particularly with the arms.
Speaker 1: They pitched three knights in a row, these three aces, if you will, I'm kind of nominating him. Is that Joe wat Tuesday night gives up one run, Hunter, Wednesday night gives up one run, Ions and Thursday night gives up one run.
Speaker 2: They were really good.
Speaker 1: Three knights in a row, and that's I guess they're lined up to pitch back to back to back. Here final few weeks for the Bassics, Let's talk about Samuel Basio gunning out runners at second Next.
Speaker 9: Big morning show Vinnie and Haiti three Deep live on YouTube Monday through Friday six till six, Search one oh five seven Fan Baltimore and never miss a moment of coverage on the teams you love.
Speaker 1: Give somemorial credit here player development. That was telling me for years, guys, not days or months, but years, Samuel Basio will catch in the big leagues, while I had scouts from around baseball telling me he would not. He's too big. It's not gonna work out for him catching in the big leagues. Pop time per stat gass Pasio's at one point nine to two, Rutchman's at one point nine to five, Nirvaia's is one point nine seven. And we saw that on display today.
Speaker 2: It looked good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's got an absolute cannon back there, and I think that there's nothing you love more as a pitcher and basically not having a worry about the guy at first base because you know you have a catcher that could throw him out at second, so you don't have to be as we know Shane boz Is, he's a little deliberate to the plate, so he's not the quickest. And having Pasada back there, knowing he's got a canon, gives you a little bit of you know, in the back of your mind. Okay, I don't have to be super quick to the plate. I can really stay in my mechanics and worry about the pitch I'm trying to make.
Speaker 4: And Sammy just does a great job.
Speaker 3: I feel like we've talked about this before, but I just feel like he is he does.
Speaker 4: Not look like a rookie anymore behind the plate.
Speaker 3: He really controls the game. He's got the pitcher's emotions under control. He calls a great game. And then when you throw guys out like he did today, your pitchers absolutely love throwing to you. So it's a great, great thing to see and great to see him back healthy throwing guys out behind the plate.
Speaker 5: And the second one was to strike him out, throw him out, so to get a double play there, that's massive, you know, helping to keep you in the game.
Speaker 6: And I always.
Speaker 5: Back to Trevor Rodgers guys like he just opes about talking pitching two Stamwell Bisio and his era pitching sam compared to everyone else is night and day. And also we got to give him a hat tip. This is someone that does not shrink in big time moments. And obviously he was inserted as a pinch hitter on Saturday, hit that huge two run homer to tie the ballgame. Guys in high leverage spots this year, Samuel Basillo is hitting three seventeen. He's got a nine to thirty six OPS in high leverage situations. So the bigger the moment, the brighter he shined.
Speaker 1: And Matson put up a stat today well over nine hundred OPS in the Ale East. Yeah, a lot of those pitchers.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And the other thing I'll say today about the caught stealing, the pitcher's got to give him.
Speaker 2: A chance and they and they did. Yeah, Tampa Bay.
Speaker 1: Is first in the American League in steals. This is a team that's good at it knows how to do it succeeds a lot, and he got him twice today. It goes back to what Adlee told me earlier in the year. And I'm not sure if there's apply to sand probably does. Adley was really working hard at throwing right to the bag because he skipped a lot of throws, remember early And I asked him, are.
Speaker 2: You doing that on purposes?
Speaker 1: There's some analytics, it says, balance it maybe, and he goes no, He goes, I'm trying to if I air or want to air low rather than high, we got a better chance than way up here.
Speaker 2: Bring the tag down and sometimes you come up short. But sometimes you throw right to the bag like he did today.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think a lot of times too, when if you're going for accuracy more than arm strength, I feel like aker throws throw runners out more than the strong throw. You know, you obviously can have both together and the guys out by a mile. But a lot of times if you're accurate and you give a nice throw right to the bag, I feel like you give a better chance there than rocketing in.
Speaker 4: And like you said, see being high to the left to the right. But if you're on the bag, I.
Speaker 3: Just feel like your chances go up of getting a good getting the base on round. I know that sounds pretty simple, but it's a lot harder, especially behind the play when you're trying to do everything so quick to throw it to a perfect spot. But Sam, he's been doing a great job. I feel like a lot of his throws this year have been right on the money, right on the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's captain obvious, but you can have you can have a gun, but if you're throwing it into the outfield, what does it do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you definitely want the accurate throw for sure. I mean, whether it's on a hop or ideally right in him, it goes right into the tag. But Sam Stam's got a gun and it's accurate.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So here we are again, Berdland five games under, still within two games of the wild card.
Speaker 6: At the end of the night.
Speaker 1: Might be one and a half too, We're not sure, pending the other results. We know the Oriels have lost. It's crazy this road trip coming up certain Tuesday night Saint Louis. They're at wildcard contender in the National League, but Enancy Athletics in Colorado they're at the bottom of baseball in their respective leagues. So there is a chance to make some hay in nine games coming up.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to give a shout out to Tyler O'Neill. He's going back to play the team he came up with the Cardinals. But his game last night was incredible. That diving catch, save the running the ninth and he threw out a base running a third base there for the first out.
Speaker 4: So you know, who knows.
Speaker 3: Maybe going back sometimes when you go back to face your former team, you can have a big series. But he's been he's been doing a great job in the outfield, and I feel like it's been overlooked a little bit this year. But that game on Saturday, he almost single handedly won with those couple of plays, and he's just been regardless of how he's been hitting, I feel like he's really put it all out there on the line in the outfield and it's been I think a great, you know, example to the younger players too that if your best not there, you still have to play the field and give your all and make these plays. And he's had a lot of diving, really nice plays this season. I just had to say that before the show.
Speaker 6: Was no, absolutely, no, he I'm with you, Brad.
Speaker 5: I mean that that catch in the ninth inning where it looks like a bloop and that would have scored a run, the Rays would have went ahead.
Speaker 6: Absolutely he was massive for him. But guys, I feel like we said this so many times this year.
Speaker 2: They gotta go.
Speaker 5: Six and three, like they gotta like a six and three, a seven and two. This is all out in front of them. The A's and the Rockies are two of the worst teams in the majors. The Cardinals, they just flew a four to one lead, I think, to the Phillies in today's game. Yes, I understand they're fighting for a wild card themselves, but it's not like they're a team of world beaters that you gotta find a way to at a minimum go six and three in this stretch.
Speaker 4: Absolutely you do.
Speaker 1: If the Oils can go seventeen and seven, which is their record against the three Al division leaders, which is crazy, you got to reel off some wins against teams at art is good and this is the great chance to do that. So fans keep subscribing, keep following us on YouTube and our podcast networks, and really appreciate it. Well over one thousand subscribers now and charging one word and upward and thanks for watching today. We'll see you the next time on Birdland Territory
Speaker 6: St