Speaker 1: To be a number that represents listen. Streaming is so fair that it's dreaming is fast.
Speaker 2: Listen, Listen to me, this is the only job in the world where you can make the same amount as Drake.
Speaker 3: But are we supposed to be paid to plan yourself? Before?
Speaker 1: You built it on your back? Apple built it on our back. It's different. You built it on your back Apple, Spotify built it on hip hop's back.
Speaker 3: The way you stop them from stealing your kids? Feel right? I hear you. I need to let the I need to put the solution out to the world.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is how you stop them from stealing your kids.
Speaker 3: Feel on God? This good.
Speaker 2: Make the same amount as Drake. His stream and your streams the same amount of money. Only you think that no, his.
Speaker 3: Stream in your stream is worth the same amount of No, they've got good with the with the with the proper.
Speaker 1: Gandness rock Nation situation. When you asked about whole what what was the thinking? What was they saying?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: For me, I guess I'm so personal in my like career that I'm like, no, if Hold won a signy to his label, Hold will come talk to me about it.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me that the original deal had zero dollars, and they participated.
Speaker 3: Ink disc from that zero.
Speaker 1: That's nothing right in the grand scheme of things. But but I'm saying, and they had participation in the final They had financial participation in the in the benefits of the music.
Speaker 3: Right now, niggas want to move me to death exactly. Okay, Okay is up there and stuck that n when it's up there, Man, it's stuck there. Shut up, yo. Let's take a break from the show. This episode is brought to you.
Speaker 1: By Prize Picks, the number one daily fantasy sports app in North America.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said it, I meant it. It's on the floor. Get it.
Speaker 1: It's on the floid, Prize Picks. Get it. It's on the floid. Prize Picks. Let me explain something to you. They turned ten dollars into a thousand dollars a prize pick.
Speaker 3: You use my co iu TP and your new sign up.
Speaker 1: Man, guess what we shoot something to you, put something on the name not the game, and put something in your bank.
Speaker 2: You and me.
Speaker 1: Man, listen, pick up when I'm putting down. Man, this episode that brought to you by Prize Picks. All you gotta do is test your skills. You ran with Steph Curry. Put yours on Steph Curry, You ran with Lebron, Put yours on Lebron, You ran.
Speaker 3: With Sakoon Barkley. Put yours on. Yeah, that's how it go. Kine Clark, put yours on.
Speaker 1: Right, and if you support me this video, this episode is brought to you by Prize Picks.
Speaker 3: Do yourself a favor. Sign up right now prize picks dot com. You my code. Iut p ain't nothing bigger than this our plane. It's up there. Let's get back to the show. We stand for some It's a different thing. Bro. They can't trick me though.
Speaker 1: You know, I create the narrative, so I don't let them trick me with the narratives. I understand narrative tricking.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Brother, When you got your own infrastructure, you print your own paper. When they don't have to do nothing but go sit down and turn that mic on and talk about what's happening in life. Even you print your own paper, it's up to your discretion a lot. It's just not hungry, right, you know?
Speaker 3: Yo yo, yo yo. Welcome to It's Up There podcast.
Speaker 1: I am your active and attractive hosts for another episode of the Fastest going podcast on the market.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 1: I'm in the Bey today, Man, you dig when I'm saying I'm in the Bay. I decided to fly out to the Bay to get with my homeboy who I've been watching. I'm a fall who is a market maven? Who is someone that is a data bank, information broker? Come on today we're dealing with the young king Larussell.
Speaker 3: How you doing, bro.
Speaker 2: Man well, gratitude, Yeah, it's good to say information broker.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, so I see out here on your compound.
Speaker 1: Man, tim me a little bit about this, man, tim me a little bit about what inspired you to take this journey and put it in your own hands in a non traditional way that we've been talking about.
Speaker 2: Man, lack of resource ultimately, you know, it's like if you if you're from the region that you're from the Bay. We don't have labels, we don't have marketing agencies, we don't have a lot of PR firm, publicists. Just the infrastructure, you know, to make it as a musician isn't the same as a LA New York, Nashville, Miami. You know, like you can't just be walking down the street and running too an La read out here. It's just a different type of game, you know, so naturally you really have to build it if if you want to succeed at that level, you have to build it.
Speaker 1: That's facts you just told me you were dropping again. Talk to me about why you put so much music out and come on the ability to be free?
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I put so much out because I make so much. I love, and you know, it's like why not, Like why you put so much? Why not put so much out because loving it and fucking with it and it's paying you and taking care of your family and growing your community.
Speaker 3: Why would you stop?
Speaker 1: On the contrary, though, if people are not loving it, does that stop it?
Speaker 3: No? Because I love it?
Speaker 2: Right, Like what you love doesn't supersede what I love. You know, it's something to consider, but it doesn't supersede what I love.
Speaker 3: When I stop loving it, that's when I stop, and you still up head over heres.
Speaker 2: Man, that's like the one thing that doesn't feel conflicting, you know. It's like when I start rapping, when I when I start songs, I may when I hear beats, Like, that's the one thing I don't it don't just everything else kind of goes away. You know, I could get into that mode and escape. It's just it's the most liberating feeling.
Speaker 1: And the business model we just was talking about, when they insert rappers into like the record label or the record business, it kind of slows their run down.
Speaker 3: I think when we watched.
Speaker 1: Gucci Man back in the day, he would drop a lot the mixtape.
Speaker 3: Eraror it's like, this is how all these guys built these legendary fan bases. Oh, even the new niggas.
Speaker 2: It's the same like when yout when Kodak was coming in rod Wave, it was like you couldn't you couldn't get enough, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean that's why young boys still on the run.
Speaker 2: He owned because regardless of the quality of music he giving it exactly so like the people who fuck with him could always find a new reason to fuck with him.
Speaker 3: You never slow that motion up, do you.
Speaker 1: But in the same breath, right, if they're allowing if in my mind, I'm a creator and they're accepting almost anything got put out, does that skew my creative passion because it's like yo, they're accepting.
Speaker 3: It's like almost like McDonald's. Yo. They'll eat something called a mick double.
Speaker 2: It ain't even a Hamburger, no different, because like, as an artist, I should never be making my art based on.
Speaker 3: What you accept. You know.
Speaker 2: It's like, make the song you love as simple as that, I think you could still go for it. Like if you want to make pop songs, you can still do that, but make the ones you love, like really try to put your all into it. It should be I don't think it should be any fan consideration into making songs, you know, because it's like once you start trying to do something because somebody said this, and trying to do this because they said this, and trying to do this because they said this, it could really fuck up the pot.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It starts you start adding ingredients that that don't fit what you making, Like Nigga is home cooking. You know you can't. You can't.
Speaker 3: What is the thinking behind that? Though? Do you know the record labels thinking behind slowing down?
Speaker 1: Is that trying to squeeze every dollar out of that project or like, you know, I part.
Speaker 2: Of me don't think it's the labels anymore. I used to be like, it's the labels they slowing you down there in a way, And then I had a really great conversation with Dallas Martin right, and he was like, man, and we want niggas to drop. We just want niggas to drop dope shit. He like, sometimes we'll let a nigga drop some weak shit just because we don't want to be the one in the way of them dropping. But it's like, nigga, they you the labels want product to move, Like why would they want less.
Speaker 3: Product and you hot?
Speaker 1: Well, here's here's this though, because I think the labels have interest in the contract, the overall contract. So if I only have l Russell for three albums and he's on his second album and his next album is his exit album, I've.
Speaker 3: Seen what labels try to prolong that.
Speaker 1: Process, to try to use it as some kind of negotiation power to say, yo, hold on, you can't drop that until we get to re sign, and they keep denying it.
Speaker 3: They don't say it flat out like that.
Speaker 2: I think that only is applicable to them if your shit ain't hitting.
Speaker 1: I think they did Young Boy like that on the way out of Atlantic. It's what they were allegedly saying, is that on his way out of Atlantic, they were trying to Kodak as well.
Speaker 3: I think that applies if your shit ain't hidden.
Speaker 2: If I come in and I'm righty rich and my first shit goes platinum diamond, you think I don't want a nigga to put out another one right after. I don't care if our contract for three years. If you're gonna give me more now, why would I wait three years later to get it? But if it ain't that, then it's like, we need to have you here until we get that again, you feel.
Speaker 1: Or it could be looked at as a loss for the label if they say we've just dumped. We made a lot of money, but we dumped two million dollars into getting your brand to a place where it's noticeable. It's a very recognizable brand. We're looking at a loan game. We don't want to just let this guy I walk out of the building. And if we seen we even seen fifty Cent play this trick with Young Buck when it was when he was trying to get out of that g on the contract. It's like, send an album in no sender, album in no. You're saying that you believe it's because the music.
Speaker 2: Listen right, I thought it was that too, And then the nigga was like nigga, we be trying to save niggas damn from putting out something we don't want you to fuck up?
Speaker 3: Yo? Could we hear it?
Speaker 2: Were the first niggas to hear, you know, because I thought it was what you were saying too, and sometimes it may be. But hearing that perspective from their side, it's like, I get that completely right. If you making me money, I'm never gonna slow you down. Yeah, But if I'm losing money, I'm gonna want the terms to aligning in the way that I set them.
Speaker 1: So what do you say in the NFL when you got a two thousand a year, two thousand yard Russia per year that they slapped the franchise tag on, Right, It's like.
Speaker 3: There's business.
Speaker 1: This ain't all about the money in the moment, like they're trying to they're trying to hold some of these generational talents and some of this, Like I don't know, man, it just almost feels like that that you don't think so loan Bro, you think they want lose money.
Speaker 3: Loan brouh.
Speaker 2: You hear how many things you gotta make scenario you gotta go through? Bro?
Speaker 3: You think it's pure money? Keep the money coming.
Speaker 1: So you think that the record sales are slowing down in a way, what the label is saying that ain't it.
Speaker 3: We're not putting that out. Listen, Bruno Marsh don't have these issues, Drake, don't have these issues. Why didn't niggas love to label so much?
Speaker 2: Because if you're making money, I'm gonna do whatever I'm supposed to do. The kid, I don't want to stop making money with you.
Speaker 3: Niggas.
Speaker 2: Start you making enough money them niggas be like, here, we'll give you an indie dishow so you can do your shit there as long as we get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the nigga is, you know.
Speaker 2: And and it really skewed my perspective because I got a lot of offers early that the office came without more insight from the offerer. And you know, for me, I guess I'm so personal in my career that I'm like, no, if hole want to sign me to his label, hope will come.
Speaker 3: Talk to me about it. Right like that, in my mind, I'm like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I got I was like, ho gonna be had to meet it and it was like no, and it was like we do he want to sign meet it? It's like all right right, that was my mind, so I couldn't even I couldn't grasp it happening in that fashion.
Speaker 3: And I'm with you on that.
Speaker 1: That's why a lot of this industry is smoking mirrors in that way where it's like, respect me enough to tailor this thing, respect me enough to consider everything that we've already been through, me traveling the world by myself building this thing.
Speaker 3: You dig what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like I get into some of these meetings because I've had means with everybody as well, and I'm just like, oh, y'all don't know, y'all, don't we gonna have an issue because y'all don't understand the product. You know what I'm saying, y'all look at the numbers, but the numbers is that way because I understand the product.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we can fuck those numbers. See. But that's the thing is.
Speaker 2: Like we we give them too much benefit of the doubt, uh not benefit of the doubt, Like we what matters to us doesn't matter to them. Right, the bank doesn't care what you use this loan for as long as you pay them back. But we be wanting them to care about the arts as much as us and it's like they're not artists, they're investors. Hearing that shit really like altered my perspective completely, and it was like, I start going through a bunch of situations I'll see online with artists who like, man, the labeled, the labeled did this, and I start just like you could you could find rational and everything when you fool when you hear full disclosure, it's just like, man, it's the nature of the beasts.
Speaker 3: That's the kind of business that is.
Speaker 2: So it's like, if you're gonna do any business in that business, just know it.
Speaker 3: Come with that type of energy. Like niggas. Them niggas there to make money.
Speaker 2: Some niggas care, but the niggas who cut the checks is there to make money.
Speaker 3: Real and they'll get put out if they don't make money. So they do have a parent.
Speaker 2: A nigga really can't bet on you because if you know, it's like, if it's gonna really take you five years, that's my boss looking at me for five years, Like nigga, when this nigga gonna start making money.
Speaker 3: Right, that's fucked up. But that's how it is.
Speaker 1: When you when you the Rock Nation situation, when you asked about whole What what was the thinking?
Speaker 3: What was they saying? Uh? She was just like, no, he's not gonna be there. You know. It was like.
Speaker 2: I guess, like I said, I was thinking too glamorous of it because of how I look at those things, you know, And I don't I don't think it was a malicious act.
Speaker 3: It's just like I don't know.
Speaker 1: And do you think that they do you think that they really appreciated what you've done? Like did the offer look like they appreciated the work you've put in, the money you've made, the sheets you can ship.
Speaker 2: I think at that time the offer was very reflective of whatever value I thought I had the end.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a bad offer.
Speaker 2: The original offer that came before the actual offer wasn't bad offer. And the parameters around it just felt funny to me at the time.
Speaker 3: You know, it was like.
Speaker 2: There was no money in the original contract. It was like a fifteen K discretionary fund. And then it's like, oh, yeah, come to the office, we coming here, like how do you feel about the deal? And I'm like there's no money and he was like, oh, it's a mistake, right, And he made a call and they sent in a new one, like it was immediate and it had money attached to it.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me that the original deal had zero dollars and they participate.
Speaker 3: Eighteen K discretionary fund.
Speaker 1: But that's nothing right in the grand scheme of things. But I'm saying, and they had participation in they had financial participation in the benefit of the music right with no investment, and they said it was a mistake.
Speaker 2: And then after you said it's a mistake, the other one came that had the money, and it just didn't sit right with me to where I could do it because it felt like, I don't know, that's a lot of money to make a mistake with. And even if it was a mistake, it made me start thinking like if I would have signed the one with no money, would you have told me it was a mistake. No, And once I I feel like that, it was hard to like it's really hard to do business after that. And it didn't, you know, like I said, it didn't come with no explanation up even even after like I did the interview with Math and were talking about it and it went viral, it didn't come with like a call of like, no, bro, this is why you know, like a I just feel like a genuine nigga would get your call if they was ever trying to sign you today shit and how you be a part of what they're doing. But it didn't come with a call, and I don't I don't think it's any genuine, but I just feel like nigger, I need a call.
Speaker 1: And you know, we respect whole, but hole is hell to a standard as well, Like he can't just do anything either, you know, and.
Speaker 3: But he can, he really can't.
Speaker 1: Why so because we can lose respect for hope, like we've lost respect.
Speaker 3: For a lot of the great right, you know, we can, we can change whole perception to the world.
Speaker 1: Right if if if, if a lot enough people are going through things that are unfavorable and unfair and unwarranted. You know, he's not above, he's not above reproaching.
Speaker 2: Them, right and that And that's actually exactly how I felt, you know. I was just like, if you're too big in your journey to come higher at someone that you want to sign to your infrastructure, bring into your system. It's not a system all necessary want to be in because I want somebody who cares enough to be like, bro, I really fuck with you and I want you to come here and here's why.
Speaker 3: But I also get it.
Speaker 2: It's like it's a business venture that he has that he's empowered other people to run.
Speaker 3: So I understand it, Like.
Speaker 1: I get the lining on the back of his legacy, right, and we say Rocknation, we say jay Z right, you know.
Speaker 3: And and even when you sign.
Speaker 1: The rock Nation, when you go abroader, you go somewhere you say, I'm signing to jay Z.
Speaker 3: Now do bsiness with jay Z right, I'm signed the hall. This is the saying, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's like I think even him, I'm sure he respects their responsibility comes with it.
Speaker 2: But you know, also it made me think like is he is he trying to go in the route of like where it's a death Jam or in Atlantic, because if you signed to death Jam, you know, say I'm signed to Russell Simmons in the whole come from us.
Speaker 3: So it's different. It's like it's like it's like your child or something, you know, whole come out of this game. Family family, like family.
Speaker 1: You got rich off this off us like this nigga, I sold that ship, you sold. I listened to you. We wrapped the balls, you wrapped we come.
Speaker 2: Up under this the same unbrought, you know, and this is why I got so much grace. I just need a call because I also like, though that is all true, we still not really entitled to anything, of course, because sometimes you know, when my fans, I have to remember that me giving anything I gave is enough because I never had to give anything right. So that's that's where like I understand the human and the whole ordeal.
Speaker 3: It's just like, let's have a conversation.
Speaker 1: Still, I still think, and that's that's the honest truth, man, because don't owe no nigga nothing right.
Speaker 3: So that's that's more right, Like that's the truth, man. But at the end of the day, it's like.
Speaker 1: Bruh, we talking about it's a lot of young men, men coming out of dolls.
Speaker 2: Like I'm a young black independent nigga building infrastructure out of Valao.
Speaker 3: You know. I think that there's a certain.
Speaker 2: There's a due diligence for ogs, you know, in every lane to just be pathed to the niggas who like, like my whole team is like I seen splash and it's like, no, this nigga's one of them. You got that due diligence. You know, to Bro, that's culture exactly.
Speaker 1: And I and I know hope is tapped in because I've seen whole with the tax stones of the world. It's like that don't get on your radar unless you tapped into the streets and I culture for real, So you can't on one end see what happens, is right, That's what be the problem. Right, It's like, yo, Bro, we gotta make sure that we consistent in our messaging, in our approach, especially when we at the highest level, the highest we and you held to the highest regard.
Speaker 3: So I have I couldn't sign with Recknation without Meetinghole.
Speaker 2: So see that's that's how I felt, and that that's exactly what.
Speaker 3: It what it was.
Speaker 2: It just didn't Yeah, like I feel like I shouldn't have even got a deal without meaning, Like I shouldn't have even got an offer without meeting whole.
Speaker 3: Like it was just so yeah, I don't know when.
Speaker 1: You when you started on this journey, who inspired it?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: The culture I've always I've just been immersed in coaching my entire life. Like after we've done on the so we got a culture on there, and it's just like movies from my past that I grew up came like I was just immersing culture. And when you get to a point in your life where you realize there's people behind those things, Like somebody had to sit and make those and they had cameras and they had a crew, and you realized, like, these are human acts. Nigga, I'm on everything. I'm on everything. I could get some tool. Yes, if you could do it. I mean I could do that exact same thing, and I could get some too. I don't want it no other way, man.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: And let me ask you this too, what is your feeling about record labels? Like what do you feel about the music business and or record labels.
Speaker 2: I've had a period of my life where I was against, a period where I was neutral, and I think now I'm in a period where I'm four if it's aligning to where we could, Like if a nigga like me that make the kind of music I make and has the mind I have and making the impact I'm making independently can find a partner that has all the resource and infrastructure that wants to do great business, have a great deal and make a lot of money together and allow me to do everything I'm already doing just bigger. I think that is the greatest thing that can happen to culture. The right parties get together and it's like this should be at the top, this should be propelled because it's like we have those discussions in debates and propel shit that ain't even positive, like it only has a negative footprint to it, and we like, let's rally together and put this. We're gonna make sure everybody he sees this. So if we do that with a nigga, that that you feel like, nigga, I'll fly to the Bay to go from somewhere.
Speaker 3: I fuck.
Speaker 2: If we feel like that, it's only a wins, it's one of the biggest wins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's for sure. And that's we're gonna get to that too, because I do like that. You know.
Speaker 1: I had a conversation with D One, a kind of rough conversation because D One, in my opinion, seems his brand seems a bit more and I got a lot of love for D One. When I speak about D One, I don't want people because some weird way they got it.
Speaker 3: Well, when you critique d One, you critique.
Speaker 1: In God like you like you're going against Jesus Christ or something, not him in itself, but like because of he, because he's staying for the word of God that he that that be careful.
Speaker 3: When you you critique him.
Speaker 1: But I'm a righteous man, right, so I think those tough conversations I'm comfortable having. But I think his brain is a bit more disconnected.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It's positive, but it seems like it's a little more disconnected yours.
Speaker 3: It's positive, but it's still loss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that I think that I want to take a little time and applag that, Like that's a beautiful thing to not glorify.
Speaker 3: The killing of the culture but be killing the culture. Yeah, you know what I mean. So I want to big you up for that, bro, Like.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that that shit mattered to me, Like because I know how how easy conscious can become corny and become unreceived. Yes, right, because it's like once people are associated where it's like you man, sometimes, if you told me Jesus walked on water, it made me feel like, well, I can never be Jesus and niggas don't walk on water.
Speaker 3: But if you told me he.
Speaker 2: Sat and meditated and took care of his people and then you know, like, but it's like that quick depiction sometimes, like if you come off too righteous and it's never a you thing, it's just the people receiving it, Like you can never be too righteous, I can only receive you as too righteous, right, So depending on where the people had a lot of niggas that just write it off. But I'm still it took me a long time to find a median between preachy and just human.
Speaker 3: Right, because my thing was with d One.
Speaker 1: I was telling him, Yo, you're critiquing rappers, bro, And so when you critique rappers, if you have a solution, give the solution to the world. That's what all the great creatives are doing. I'm not telling no particular person to howlt me. I'm gonna give my game to the culture and show up on your desk. It's gonna show up on your desk, dog, because I'm giving the solutions to the world. I respect the universe enough to believe that this a penetrating hit the people that need to hit.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes I remember I was writing the Fuck the Industry freestyle. It was originally called fuck Double Sael Freestyle, right, and T was like, why so narrow and then, and I was like, you're right the industry, you know. And sometimes I feel like his critique and Rick Ross and meat meal, it was still relevant.
Speaker 3: It was just narrow you know. It's like it's like we could it.
Speaker 2: It's a lot bigger, but he narrowed in for that moment, but it was still relative.
Speaker 3: Like he has a valid point.
Speaker 2: Like when you grown man and you telling niggas to kill naves, lies, don't perpetuate that.
Speaker 3: The you do have a due diligence. It's like, yeah, you can.
Speaker 2: I was at Unsad Guru cap and he was like, you know, everybody look at freedom as like the ability to do what you can. And he's like, just because you can't say something doesn't always mean you should say it or can't do it, you know. Like he was just asking niggas to be more conscious and valuable of their output. And I don't think that's that's out of reason, but it's also niggas don't have to you know.
Speaker 3: But here's here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Right, My thing was, it was all way good until you said I want to meet with y'all to have them that's my part.
Speaker 3: So you think it's like a nigga trying to get in the circle.
Speaker 1: What I need dinner with some nigga rapping about killing and I'm righteous, I'm the Christian man.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell y'all how to fix that. I don't even want. I don't need to come, because the solution is for the kids. You know, though I don't know. I think that's valid because I think.
Speaker 2: Like he's He's saying, I want to open the door for conversations. Well, I can explain to you why I feel this way, because.
Speaker 1: You to the world if I meet Meal, like if I tell you now, but niggas receive it differently through the Internet than through conversation like this, Like we we able to holler differently right here than anything I could put on the internet.
Speaker 2: Even if something happening I went on innet and I'm like little Nigga was at my.
Speaker 3: House, it would never be the conversation that we can have like this.
Speaker 1: Yes, but this is an overarching point that you're making. Again, why so narrow? So my thing was there's no there's no need for you to meet with meet Meal and Jim Jonpes. My thing is this if I say, yo, I heard they still in kids. Sophiels I don't need a line of niggas that own kids feels outside my house.
Speaker 3: I need to get on my platform and say the way you stop them from stealing your kids? Right I hear? I need to let them. I need to put the solution out to the world.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is how you stop him from stealing your kids?
Speaker 3: Of feel Oh God, this nigga good? You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it's the self serving aspect that makes you come off as oh, no, get in the circle. Yeah, have dinner for what, get a solution to the world. It's more than just them three doing it. It's a culture of it. At that time, a couple of those guys didn't even have music out. Then then Joe Budden come on on the list and it's like, y'all can't well. He told me, I can't wait to meet Joe Budden and hug Joe Budden. And I'm saying for what. I ain't saying that. I ain't saying that you want for being righteous. I'm saying that what.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that is the feeling though behind.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to meet holding huggm. It's different, bro.
Speaker 1: Hold them pulled into this culture in a different way than Joe Budden. D One ain't got no d one ain't got no right. What you pulling from Joe Budden? That that I ain't respectfully like I'm saying that a rapper, a Christian rapper, though a Christian rapper, that is saying meet me a Jim Jones.
Speaker 3: Rick Ross, y'all need not.
Speaker 2: But you know, you know, though he's not a Christian rapper, he's a human, that's right. And I know and that is the base of that interaction when you when you put rolls and titles over it and he's the rappers and it's the rapper, it kind of no no, because what happened was he the one inserted the fact that, yo, I'm feeding the kids and doing this for the kids, and y'all are destroying the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: So he brought them dudes.
Speaker 1: This wasn't talking about bro And I'm saying, if the industry has the problem, if you have mice in your house, you did, I know.
Speaker 2: But I think I think also maybe we're going to narrow. Maybe it wasn't even like it was only Rick Ross and meat Meal because they had just.
Speaker 3: Dropped the name was on the promo run at the time.
Speaker 2: Right, If it was somebody else on the promo run at the time, it probably would have ended up being there. Maybe it wasn't as narrow as them, but as narrow as the moment, and we're just making it them, you know.
Speaker 1: Still the solution is the same, right if your point is that, Yo, the kids are listening.
Speaker 3: The kids are listening.
Speaker 1: Were talking about meat mealing rick Ross, that sould and let's put real numbers out there. Sixty six k the first week. Man, we got people selling two three hundred thousand of that kind of lineage, of that kind of climate, that dancing in that rain. That again, putting that solution out They still in kids of feels this is how you stop it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I'm telling y'all that, Yo, this affected the kids, and I think y'all need to alter that.
Speaker 3: I think there's a way to do that.
Speaker 1: And I'm saying that it was okay until you said, in my opinion, I want to have dinner.
Speaker 3: Right, What changed your mind about record labels? What? What was that switch? It's been gradual.
Speaker 2: The bigger I've been getting, the better meetings and conversations I get to have because my leverage is higher versus early on. So now it's like I get to sit with a tune g or get to see with a Dallas, or get to sit with this guy who's evp here and this is you know, and the conversation is different at that level. And it's just been gradual, like because I've been getting to talk to these niggas and as humans, right, you know, like like like it's not just business. Sometimes it's just like a human bill like nor from Death Jam. It's like adult human like nigga beyond the bid like whether the business work or not?
Speaker 3: Here though humans.
Speaker 2: So when you meet the humans behind it and they explain it with their perspective, and it's not just an outside perspective because you knocking on the window and you think you know what's going on, it just it alters it a lot. And when you when I started realizing that the only thing that can happen to me is what I allowed.
Speaker 3: To happen to me as far as business exactly. So what changed with the conversations though, Like, was it is it points? What what is a good deal look like to you? Is it splits? Is it points? Is it? Is it? What change?
Speaker 2: What the conversation was me asking more questions about everything I used to wonder about that I thought was a thing with the niggas, Like why y'all slowing niggas down? I asked that question, all the questions that niggas be like what about the streaming?
Speaker 3: Why how that should be powered? What be happening?
Speaker 2: When I asked all the questions and the answers I got was just like as simple as you would think it is. And when you got somebody that just tell you truthfully what they experiencing, Like a nigga who worked there telling you and a nigga who got the offer who you never seen with the label and shits telling you, it's two different things.
Speaker 3: You feel me, there's different information based.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yes, yes, yes, And that's why it's always and that's why we have a responsibility to over communicate, bro, because we are in those rooms where we don't know the next time somebody will be independent with the infrastructure you got this able to have those kind of meanings we don't know, especially from this area, right, Like you don't.
Speaker 3: Know niggas never bring it back. I'd be bringing it back.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh no, they said, Like I'm one of the few niggas who've you've gotten to see through documentation perspective change and share why it's changing and shared.
Speaker 3: Now, this is real, This isn't you feel me?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Niggas don't share the information? Right? Is it? Because they ain't got it?
Speaker 1: It's are we watching them hanging? Might be watching them hang?
Speaker 3: Bro were clapping while they hang? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Because these dudes, again, the black culture has a very a very high interest in like perception.
Speaker 3: You can do a lot if people just perceive you as winning.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of these guys don't even know what they're making or spending a year.
Speaker 3: As long as they can look the same to the audience.
Speaker 1: They don't care if they five albums in debt, sixty million in debt with the labe. As long as I can still take the private have the rolls, Royce, take the pictures doing this, that and the third. I'm willing to sacrifice the actual reality for the perception, right.
Speaker 3: And you can't knock a nigga for that. You can't.
Speaker 2: You really can't, damn. Because if if a nigga want to know and don't know, that's one thing. But if a nigga don't want to know and don't want to know. I can't have no problem with that. Facts you don't want to know, you're trying to tell a nigga who don't want to know. That's like trying to teach the nigga math who like, nigga, I'm telling you, I'm looking at you and telling you, nigga, I don't give a fuck about that, and you like, but nigga, you need to know this, and it's like that'll that never works.
Speaker 3: That never works. What drives that though?
Speaker 1: Maybe is it because I have a hard time believing they don't want to know.
Speaker 3: I think it's the why they don't want to know.
Speaker 2: It's different right that that that is a factor, but it doesn't override the fact that they don't want to know until you could teach them and then they get them.
Speaker 3: That was to a point where they want to know. But I hold culture, saw TLC, I hold culture.
Speaker 2: But we didn't. But we didn't, damn but we didn't. Niggas found out.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It was like even when niggas found out, like when they did, they announcement like this is what's happening. The niggas who getting announced to is like we don't know where, understand none of it. Like half the time we be discussing deals in terms and we really like until I got into it, I was like, damn, my perspective was so skewed because I ain't no shit.
Speaker 3: But still had a mean perspective because it's still.
Speaker 2: And you're something to nigga, You standing on call when you when your perspective in your opinion ain't based off experience like true knowledge. Nigga was there and I touched it and I seen it. You standing on the cloud. Nigga, that house ain't built on nothing. That house ain't built nothing but opinion.
Speaker 1: And knowing his participation, I tell people, knowing his participation, and there ain't no way like people be saying, I know what I'm talking about, knowing his participation and if you ain't participated, you gotta stay away from that word, right.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: That nobody You didn't play, You didn't play like a nigga's perspective on what happens in the league and white players do what they do who didn't play. It's like, Nigga, you could tell that at twenty four hour fitness, you don't need to go educate the.
Speaker 3: World where it's off.
Speaker 1: And that's why in media it gets confusing, right, because some guys are black people, but they're not cultured people. So you will have a black person speaking on a little russell coming out the bay or a rapper, and they not understand what they've been through, what they're talking about, what they even looking.
Speaker 3: At, but sharing their opinion as it's a fact.
Speaker 1: Right, and because they shut a skin color, don't nobody look into the background of.
Speaker 3: It, like, yo, you play kickball? Did you grow up?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Did y'all like play hide and seek in the neighborhood? And line, are you a real person?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You won off with real experience right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Or respectfully did you?
Speaker 1: Cause if that's the case, not saying you don't have a place in the culture, but let it be known that you're speaking from that perspective because it's blurring the lines.
Speaker 3: People are don't people are not understanding, right.
Speaker 2: You have to say that you're telling the story from the outside of the house. Yes, you gotta be at this what was going on from the front door. It was closed, but this is what I heard from the front door. You gotta say, this is what I heard from the front door. You feel me, and that's what niggas is leaving out right, which is why the information come back the way it does, and you will have niggas like I hate labels. I don't ever want to stun like Nigga, I was so independent to sometimes I feel like to a fault because if I was more open minded to it and I didn't have a perspective of the fu heyse that I could have bended a great situation like I've been able to do a lot of nation, you know, like I would have been able to accomplish that earlier. But the knowledge based like you feel me, you don't know until you know, and you don't really know until you go touch it, feel it, see it, smell it, and and when you do that, you understand that all all all possibilities exist. These niggas is trash some of them, and they cheat and they lie, and the niggas be stealing money and laundering that exists like in the world. And then it's some of these niggas here who like Nigga that I love this shit. This is all I do. I like to put out here. I like to make money off this shit because just what we make the best right and that exists too. Just like in the world, it don't change when it gets into a building. A label is literally just a building with the surround with the world in. Like you put the world in one building and then you build a building over it, and all the niggas that was in that little group right there is at the label. You got all different kind of niggas up in this motherfucker, you know.
Speaker 3: But now there is a power structure of the label too.
Speaker 1: It's good to have people in position that's decision makers that understand culture because even a lot of times they have people in position who oh yeah, no, you work for Atlantic, you understand culture, but you ain't got no power. You powerless, you know what I mean, Like your vote even really counting the building when I'm talking about for real skin and them be the best niggas.
Speaker 2: Would be the good niggas and be like, man, if you in this place, I'll be here, man, you feel me, Like yes.
Speaker 1: He's just like I know, man, I know I'd have gave it to you. Your folks is they don't know man, like I gotta go.
Speaker 3: To the problem.
Speaker 2: They're not empowering the niggas who are those niggas even, you know what's crazy.
Speaker 3: I met a few niggas who like.
Speaker 2: People will be like, oh no, he one of them he liked, and then you meet him and it's like, it makes me I got a question your perception of what one of them niggas is now because it's like.
Speaker 3: No, he not even say yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing about this game, man, I think so like when we talk about rock Nation, all of these guys that come from REP they have a supreme understanding of branding, so they know what you can get done just off character, just off you know, just.
Speaker 3: Off a jay Z character or a Diddy character.
Speaker 1: These kind of guys that did so much in this game, bird Man or just some of these names carries so much weight that you can sign to them, never meet them and run around saying their name, and you will feel like something.
Speaker 3: And I'm saying, how can you do? That's craziness to me? Oh God, right to me though, right to give you a.
Speaker 2: Because because of how we run our lives, you feel me because I feel the same, Like, no matter how big it is, if I'm bringing you into the system, I gotta meet you, yes, because it's my system and you might fuck my shit up because I didn't meet you. You feel me, But unless you, I don't know, I don't know right because because how we how we perceive it isn't the way that it's being perceived massively right, and there's no right or wrong, like everybody is to each its own.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's that the rappers don't want to don't want the information, or is it that they don't want to wait on the cake to bake?
Speaker 3: Right? It's because sometimes I.
Speaker 1: Think it's the it's the the impatient because they want to hurry up and shine.
Speaker 2: I think it's both. I don't think they don't not want the information. I think they just don't consider it, like they just don't care, Like it's like that's just not even a thing that's crossing their mind, you know, especially niggas like you won't drugs and you sit there and you move like there's a lot of things you don't considering them. States like when I when I smoke too much weed, it's ship I stop considering that I should consider. So imagine if it's beyond that and you fucking around with bitches and like like you're just your mind is already distracted. Enough with everything and your paper coming here here. It's easy. It's easy to like nigga, you ain't need you ain't even ask no questions. Nigga like, I got a whole life, I'm tending to sow it. You know, in that state, you're not even really thinking about all that shit.
Speaker 1: Because I think about like some of these guys that get in the label system, it's like they leave with nothing and the label squeeze all the money they.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's ever true. I don't think that's ever true. I ain't see a nigga leave a label with nothing.
Speaker 3: Nothing is relative though, right Listen.
Speaker 2: Niggas who go to labels don't make no hit, but the labels still somehow figure out a way to make sure we know they exist. Even when they leave, they leave with that little russell like I'm in a v and I put up a thing that say, make me an offer. I'm here, I'll come with whatever, put your shit in. Any one of them niggas could do that and his money rolling in the only way you leave with You can't leave with nothing. If a nigga gave you all the notariety of like a name where people want to hire you and book you. See, they can't give you the amount of money that's gonna mount to that.
Speaker 1: That to me is the smoke screen when I say leave with nothing. See, I'm watching Kanye and I'm watching how he's moving around. I remember a long time ago when Kanye was beefing with Adidas. I heard him say something. He said, ma'am, not only Kanye, there's a guy in the conservative market of doing what I do named Steven Crowder, large guy worth two three hundred mellion with this micaerophone.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You may not never know him, but he living that conservative market. Say something wild stuff of intellectual people. But they just wild folks. But I heard Kanye tell Adidas, hey, yo, I'm moving around with three million emails.
Speaker 3: And that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: I mean when I say leave with something, I'm saying information analytics.
Speaker 3: That brand shit.
Speaker 1: That brand shit is powerful when you've got the information to back it. The brand ain't worth nothing without the information. It's the car without the motor. It's literally worth nothing. Like being famous, Like you got people that's doing interviews for five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: This famous Listen if all this got took from me and all I had was me. I'd get it all back. You got the information, though you ain't just got the brand. See what happens on the label where y'all would just where we at today, a nigga could get dropped out of labeled today and go on YouTube and find all the information and start back flooding and he.
Speaker 3: Backed, Yeah, come new like you when.
Speaker 2: You sign yourself up for something that's like damn, you gotta take your accountability running over your case and come new, go go, get to go, start building new, because the longer you relic.
Speaker 3: Over that is like, bro, you're wasting.
Speaker 2: You could have been came new and niggas would have been back on that ship. You would have wiped that out, you feel me? But they bro, them niggas never leave you disabled, which is the crazy thing. Like where I made it to now on my journey, it's like when you coming out, it's niggas who we ain't hurting him and ching he's still getting.
Speaker 3: Booked, that's labeled doing ching.
Speaker 2: He still he ain't if them niggas ain't backing him no more. Wa ain't hurt nothing from.
Speaker 3: He that's his name. He was in that system.
Speaker 1: That's true, nigga, he's still getting booked off since back then.
Speaker 2: You mean, like you feel me like what they when you give a nigga that like that's literally you either give a nigga a fish or you give him a fishing pole in the information that had a fish. But even if you don't give him the information that had a fish, but you gave him a fishing pole, a nigga gonna figure out how to catch a fucking fish if you want a fish and they never leave you without.
Speaker 3: A fishing pole. You mean your name is you the nigga who they cat you next to? That more niggas movies? But see you sign over that song?
Speaker 1: So again, like you said, he doesn't own the song, but he owned the brand.
Speaker 3: He own hisself.
Speaker 2: Fuck that song. Go make a hundred mole. The fuck you niggas fighting over. Once you fighting over, go make no bread. They gave you all this shit to make your bread. Go make more bread like you can't.
Speaker 3: It's just.
Speaker 2: Uh, I forgot what book it was in. But one of the laws was like stay out of court, like you don't want to get caught in that whole in this situation back back and that ship slow in your You could have already been back on top where you want to be. But some niggas is like, you know, you know you needed the niggas, so now you gotta make it like they for it ain't half nigga you like because you needed the niggas, Nigga, you could go do that. You know, sometimes them giving you your freedom is the best thing. They don't cut niggas who make the money.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a fact.
Speaker 2: You don't cut the niggas putting up points like nigga.
Speaker 3: You don't see a nigga scoring and get into it.
Speaker 1: And there is a place where you can where y'all cannot reach terms with someone that's just making money because now I see the power in the money I'm making and so now I'm not gonna you won't give me a favorable deal, So we don't do.
Speaker 3: You think that you don't always get you the terms.
Speaker 2: You want to know if that's still true, because when you bringing it in, they give you deals that make the coach be like, how the fuck you get they got that? You think that them type of deals exist, but niggas ain't getting them if they bringing it in.
Speaker 3: Their tailor make the deal.
Speaker 1: If you gets to a certain level like a drake, you only have those issues when it's like you may not even be performing at the level that's like, bro, what can we do with it?
Speaker 2: Like I've literally seen some of these label rosters and I'm like, why the fuck did y'all do? Why did y'all even?
Speaker 3: What made y'all deed?
Speaker 2: You feel me like there's a certain amount of work you're supposed to have to do just to even get into the league.
Speaker 3: But it's not the same with music.
Speaker 2: But it's like them the only niggas that's coming out, and it's like, man, I couldn't get back this nigga nahs.
Speaker 3: Like you feel me?
Speaker 2: The niggas they gonna put that ship out and get back to it right.
Speaker 1: And you know something else, I think that happens and you I want to get your perspective on it.
Speaker 3: It's like when you go into that system and the label.
Speaker 1: Puts those marketing dollars in place, and you become bigger than life. I think some of those guys tend to have from this show Shatto too, where it's like I don't want to come out with the real numbers because.
Speaker 3: Y'all used to seeing me do one fifty.
Speaker 1: So now when I know I gotta come out and I know it ain't gonna do one fifty, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They so caught up in that versus like that South Avatine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because one time Roll said I sell a million ten times instead of selling going diamond like fifty. So he had already switched his perspective to know, I ain't gonna go dime, but I can do a million ten times, which is equivalent is diamond.
Speaker 3: And I think her guys get caught up in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean right, And it takes it takes that perspective. Like everything, every excuse, obstacle and reason you didn't make it, it's going to exist. Yeah, It's like uh te t say, like any if any any little inconvenience can turn you around, then you didn't want it that bad, right, And those is always exist. Nigga's always gonna be something in the road, right, It's always gonna.
Speaker 3: Be something in the road.
Speaker 2: And you can use the as a reason you stop driving or a reason you got bigger tires.
Speaker 3: That's deep. That's dope. Huh, that's dope.
Speaker 1: Tell me your feelings on the stream and what's your feelings on streaming.
Speaker 2: I think it is a systemic tool and it's also an independent tool. I think streaming is free game for everyone. Like if you could build your catalog enough to where people are streaming it and that brings you you in your paper, you won the game. You may never need to sign unless you want to be a star, you know, Like that's the only difference is like independence, I think you can still be a star because I feel like I'm getting to that point, but for so long, Like you know, you could go straight into the majors and be a star even without an album, like independently, you can't be a star without no oubl Right, you go major, you cannot have album and you could be a star, like niggas can start building you and working you to a point where Nigga's like, you could be a star without any of this shit you used to have to.
Speaker 1: Be but but for your music, all the work you've put in, you know, all the time you put in. You you had no say so in what you are being paid for a stream?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just set a price.
Speaker 1: Do the market value after setting the price with the labels.
Speaker 2: I'm not mad at it because I used to make zero dollars at first.
Speaker 3: But once that shit that, I don't think that's a good reason to say.
Speaker 2: So listen, they pay me a fraction of a cent, right, and listen cause I was I used to be like, fuck these niggas, I ain't out of the same shit, and now I'm like, bro, no.
Speaker 3: I think these let's healthy conversation.
Speaker 2: If I built a platform, right, and this platform generates this much money a month through music, and people pay me ten dollars every single month, they pay me ten dollars because I built this infrastructure for them to consume the music that they stream from you.
Speaker 3: When they stream the music, I pay you, right.
Speaker 2: So if they pay me ten dollars and this month I made a billion dollars off my infrastructure and off your music, and they only played Joe song one hundred times out of all that money that was made from all these different artists, what percentage of that should you get?
Speaker 3: Whatever it adds up to, it'll be a fraction of a fucking cent.
Speaker 2: If I made ten billion dollars and you you contributed this much, what percentage would that be?
Speaker 3: It's like nigga when you do the math. But there's a number. Though.
Speaker 1: See here's the thing, right, because Universal them went into the to that room with a number that spoke to market share to say, yo, we own we got Drake, we got this, we got all these different catalogs, and yeah, you're making money. But it's like if you're selling kool aid, but I got the sugar. You know what I'm saying. They coming to you for kool aid, but not build a kool aid. They ain't just coming to you for any old song. You get the audience there by having these certain artists there now, but hold on. This speaks to how I know this is because when Apple and all of them first started, they were giving them exclusive deals to try to build that audience over there, and Spotify was like, yo, just come out here for two days and then go everywhere.
Speaker 3: But they was trying to pillage the audience. So what do you say to? What do you say to?
Speaker 1: Because it has to be a number, it has to be it has to be a number that represents listen.
Speaker 3: Streaming is so fair, Its streaming is fast. Listen, Listen to me.
Speaker 2: This is the only job in the world where you can make the same amount as Drake.
Speaker 1: His stream and your stream is the same amount of money. Only you think that no read in.
Speaker 3: Your stream is worth the same amount of No, they've got good with the with the with the proper gandness. Drake gets more. I think Drake.
Speaker 1: I think drake deal for streaming services are different from an overarching perspective.
Speaker 3: I think it's represented. Go ahead, listen, go ahead, let's talk. Let's take drake out. You make the same amount as money. If you made us on the.
Speaker 2: Day and uploaded it to toon cord disro kid, you would make the same amount per stream that chance the rapper makes.
Speaker 3: Yes, how does that work?
Speaker 2: You don't go to no fucking job and make the same amount as the nigga who already did it and accomplished it. But here it's like everybody getting the same amounts. If you do more, you feel me. So it's like whereas.
Speaker 1: Because everybody getting fucked, it ain't because this is no hell of a thing or that is there?
Speaker 3: See they listening. No one can explain how.
Speaker 2: And I used to be on the same side until I started building infrastructure and building things that's of use to people utilization, and like what am I supposed to get for building all this?
Speaker 3: And then after I pay, after.
Speaker 2: I get that and I give you yours, what is your percentage supposed to be?
Speaker 3: Like? How much are we supposed to be paid to plan yourself?
Speaker 1: Because you built it on your back? Apple built it on our back. It's different. You built it on your back Apple. Spotify built it on hip hop's back. They were giving exclusive deals only to hip hop YEP saying hey, we need the audience here, bro.
Speaker 3: But how much am I supposed to pay you for that?
Speaker 1: I think that it should be more than a fraction of a cent, you know what I'm saying. What I'm saying, I can't give you a number because I know that it gets work right when you get into even the terms and deals of contracts, when you get it to the point point once you're say, oh man, this done got slippery.
Speaker 3: I like whole numbers and one. But you know what's crazy is like.
Speaker 2: That's how deep the math get when the math gets that big. Like to us, the math don't get that deep because our math don't get that big. But I look at Kanye when you when you in a when it's billions and trillions, the math get it goes all the way down.
Speaker 1: To Kanye say they do that to trick you. Kanye say, Yo, I'm in here. I'm in here with Adidas. They're doing this to trick you. All this don't got to beat all these numbers and fudging them.
Speaker 3: All of this is a game.
Speaker 1: So I'm saying I can only trust the people that, like we said, has participated. I'm watching and listening and reading the books and grabbing information.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing. None of us have full insight.
Speaker 2: So we're just highly opinionated, right and until we get a nigga who's in there, Daniel Eck from Spotify and a nigga like me and you and this from Apple and we like have this type of conversation.
Speaker 3: We lost.
Speaker 1: But again, I want to practice what I preach in the same way I said with D One, I want to just give it to the world and hopefully penetrate somewhere.
Speaker 3: They had to come they call us in Yo. Man, that conversation was so dec see.
Speaker 2: But sometimes it's like like with D One, when you go straight to the world, Sometimes a nigga take that.
Speaker 3: It's like, bro, I don't even want to talk to you.
Speaker 2: And that's how Ross and them Tree they start calling them buckethead and you tell me he.
Speaker 3: Called them personally.
Speaker 1: We're talking about an infrastructure in which we participate in at a high level. And we got children were leaving this game too. We got young black men were leaving his game too.
Speaker 2: And I'm no, I really think I don't even think they're closed off to the conversation.
Speaker 3: I think the conversation just hasn't it hasn't came in. I remember it was talking.
Speaker 2: Earlier how that shit how it gets to a nigga in terms if the nigga want to do it or not. So it's like, I don't like nigga's out of scope, out of reach. I think it's in the very near future. It's just like you need certain people to have that conversation, and you need someone. I was watching Clarence avon doc and he said they was in this big ass meeting and all the labels and shit, and they said who is clans representing? And they was like, Clarence is here for everybody. He's representing and everyone because he's he's the niggas Like, Bro, I'm not for this, I'm not against this. I don't feel like you fucking me. I don't feel like I'm fucking you. I'm asking from a point of neutrality, and until we can get there, it's just not gonna be a conversation that can be made because they not gonna sit there with a nigga yelling talking about nigga. But they ain't gonna do it, you feel me. They want to have a real conversation like.
Speaker 3: We're having though.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying that you gotta be able to, like we spoke on earlier, there's only a few people in the space period they can even have these.
Speaker 2: And I was just about it, so I was gonna ask you, and what rapper do you think? Who would you nominate to be able to have that conversation publicly where we could all get a grander understanding of.
Speaker 1: That You someone from Spotify, someone from Apple, another rapper.
Speaker 3: Let's think. Let's think you feel me. I got maybe, but I don't. I mean, I don't who y'all got anybody? Any rappers y'all think, I don't know.
Speaker 2: For it to have the impact in these is like, it has to be somebody directly impacted who feel how we feel. If the other nigga, if a nigga just like nigga, I'm happy. I was making zero Now I make billions. Bro, I don't know what's going on. Like I say, some niggas don't care, and you can't knock them for not care.
Speaker 1: Now here's my thing, right. Also, look at the end of the year wrap up, they don't post what it makes the label. They post for the artists to post the label. Don the label. See something's happening, man, there's something going on with these numbers. And I guarantee you that, especially for the one percenters like the Drakes, the Kanye's, they can like really see their audience in a way where it's like even you somebody that can see the impact of their audience, like put a post up there, shit shot men offer and clear another thirty grand in the city or something. You know what I'm saying. Those guys have a responsibility to dig a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, you know, just to see dig around. But that's our entitlement.
Speaker 1: How when we because it's Peyton, you can't place responsibility on another man.
Speaker 3: What responsibilities?
Speaker 2: Like you said, they have a responsibility to do whatever we expect of them. Because I'll be on both ends. I'll be like, nigga, you you have to, But they don't.
Speaker 1: Bro, And that and I'm talking about so so you don't think that, you don't think that, for the sake of preserving our culture that the people should feel like, Yo, I'm in the top of this game. I need to seek some You think we feel entitled, we're asking for that.
Speaker 3: We are entitled asking for it, and.
Speaker 2: So no, you have to you really, man, the only way to combat it is to build a culture that you don't have to question that about, you know, because it's like we've empowered questionable people who have questionable actions and we're like, why ain't you doing nothing?
Speaker 3: It's like, is this the nigga you expect them to do it? This one? This is a guy we broh them niggas. Ain't them niggas? Them niggas. Ain't them niggas. You're looking at a black nigga and you're like, why you're not speaking Spanish?
Speaker 2: Stop playing them niggas. Ain't them niggas. It takes certain kind of niggas that had them conversations.
Speaker 3: And to do them things. That's them revolutionary actions. A million plays thirty five hundred dollars, that's deep, right, But would you rather have a million plays than zero dollars?
Speaker 1: That should be impossible. How is that possible? There's no way to have a million plays.
Speaker 3: See, this is what they created.
Speaker 2: They created a line of revenue before niggas would pirate the music and I just play it on my computer the same way Spotify is.
Speaker 3: Right, I just pirate it down and play. You never got paid, that's a point.
Speaker 2: Now they made a way for you to get paid when it was already happening.
Speaker 3: It was already happening.
Speaker 2: But now we get paid a stream of revenue that never existed. Like I think the parameters could always grow. But let's be grateful for that, right, and we should always tweet it. Okay, now we see what this is. Let's do this better because we see what this is. I didn't know what it was at first because we didn't understand it. Now we get it. Can we tweak it a bit, But we gotta start with being grateful first because that money didn't exist.
Speaker 3: But see, I'm a.
Speaker 1: Data man and I'm moving data, right, I'm really a tech company masked as a podcast. Right, So I'm looking at data and I'm knowing what I'm getting for my data. I just told you my audio numbers. I'm telling you show numbers. So I'm saying, hold on, man, like a million plays, give me thirty five hundred dollars. It's like I ain't saying that a million people on the platform you get thirty five hundred. I'm saying that on your platform, a million people hit this thing.
Speaker 3: See, but.
Speaker 2: It's a variable like that number. Everyone tosses this. A million plays, thirty five men pays for me. If you go on any DSP in your streaming account, you'll see different amounts for a million plays. Because it has to do with territory, it has to do with platform, it has to do with so a premium streamer, it has.
Speaker 3: It's so many factors.
Speaker 2: Sometimes a million plays its way more than thirty five hundred, And any nigga who really.
Speaker 3: Do it know that. I'm a nigga who got a million plays.
Speaker 2: I know it. So it's like, bro, it's not thirty five. Sometimes it can be thirty five hundred. It depends on the quality of your million.
Speaker 3: What is it looking like?
Speaker 2: Are you streaming international? Are you streaming all of that plays into a factor and the data is there. You can download the CSV of every stream and where it's coming from and what the rate is. Yes, like it exists, that that thing is not and like I said, I don't I'm not taking from it. I think I always think I deserve more money, but like I say, this shit didn't exist. Them niggas given us revenue if they took streaming away, niggas to be matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but see that's what I'm saying. I have a hard time with that because again the numbers just so skewed for me.
Speaker 3: But I'm great, we don't know the numbers.
Speaker 1: But see me, I ain't even dancing in that because my million plays is a lot of money.
Speaker 3: You see what I'm saying. Imagine if where you get your million plays was removed, I will be pissed.
Speaker 2: And you're saying, you hear what you're saying right now, You're a million right now is a lot of money, so you might not even be thinking about how much it actually.
Speaker 3: Is, you feel me.
Speaker 2: And that's how it started with Spotify's like nigga, we're getting this, Nigga that start thinking that, like you might, your million might be more than you getting.
Speaker 3: But you continue as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, I know the ben they gotta get something from it, So I get they got to get something, but I also know that a fish sy debait not the hook, you know what I'm saying. So I know that a person don't know what's really going on, you know what I'm saying. So you you don't even see what's my thing is. I'm knowing that I'm uploading hours though. That's why my million plays look different. Though a rap song is three four minutes, I upload two hours at a time. So that million, that retention does something totally different to the play, right, you know what I mean? So that's a totally different thing. But it's just concerning that the thirty five hundred and the million just seems skewed.
Speaker 3: But are grateful, of course. But I don't know if it's skewed because I don't know what the number should be. So it's like for me, it's like what the.
Speaker 1: I don't if you make you don't know what a million people clicking something is worth more than thirty five hundred.
Speaker 3: I can guarantee you that. How do you know that? Do you tell you too what your what your view is worth? No?
Speaker 2: Right, they determine that because they have a metric that you don't have to determine that. It's like we don't we don't know what the fuck is supposed to be. I don't know what I'm supposed to be getting from them. You feel me like, I truly don't. And that was my thing with my argument. I was standing on clouds because if you're getting that office and you like, they like, well what do you want? Well, I don't know what it's like. We don't even know what we're supposed to be getting, but they're giving us something. So my thing is like, we start with gratitude and we get to grow that conversation because I really don't know what the fuck were we supposed to be getting.
Speaker 3: For a stream, I don't know what that shit is worth.
Speaker 2: If you make ten billion dollars and this nigga only contributed three three nigga, they only stream Joe shit three times out of this ten billion, what percent I'm supposed to get that nigga?
Speaker 3: That number will be so fucking got they got it yet?
Speaker 1: And see so that's where they That's again, that's the bait in the hook thing, because that's the argument they're gonna use on the people that don't got no. Some people would even argue that Spotify or someone uploaded a bunch of audio to Spotify to skew those.
Speaker 3: Numbers just to they said they're over.
Speaker 1: There's some certain amount of millions of songs on Spotify under two plays or something like that.
Speaker 3: Like a thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some shit like that under a thousand. So there has to be a metric that under the market share value. Y'all get this much. But there's a different conversation for somebody moving twenty thousand people that are on a Tuesday fifty thousand people that are on a Wednesday. That's what I'm saying. And again I think there's some respect. Dude, there's some tailor maids.
Speaker 3: You know what's crazy.
Speaker 2: There are different conversations for those people. That's when you start. If you do distro, kid tune Core, some of the like more starter district. I don't want to call them starter because they got fit in the game, but there their starter. In terms of like industry, the royalty rate is lower because you're in a starter sector. Then you can move up to certain discows like a video command, SIFF audio.
Speaker 3: Slid the rate is a bit higher. Like there were Merlin, the rate is a bit different.
Speaker 2: The royalty gets highed good and then if you go into the universal the system who do actual business with them, the.
Speaker 3: Rate is higher, so that that does happen. As you grow, you're.
Speaker 2: Able to scale up in forms. But like I say, there's still no we still know no finite number.
Speaker 3: We don't you know, like what can you do with a What can you do with a million people?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 3: You know what you do with listen? A million streams don't mean you got a million.
Speaker 2: Let's get and I'm playing a playlist and your shit just come on and playlist and I'm jumping rope.
Speaker 3: I ain't changing, I'm just listening. You ain't got me as no fan, nigga, You ain't winning me over. That's a passive listen.
Speaker 2: If I came here to listen to Drake and they play your ship and I'm just.
Speaker 3: Nigga, you don't have a fan, you gotta listen and we don't like.
Speaker 1: Those are two different things totally, and so that's the thing I'm saying though.
Speaker 3: But we also are playing numbers game. So what if we go ten percent? So if we say there's a million plays, can we get one hundred thousand? Can we get this eighty thousand? It's one.
Speaker 2: I literally built the metric when I was early on I was trying to tour with the Homies, and I was trying to base off streamings, Like we'd have a certain amount of listeners in the city, and I'd be like, oh, we could do that amount of people, and then literally one percent of that half of one percent that really shows up in physical form. It's like, it's two hundred thousand people there, You're not going to bring out two hundred thousand if you'll probably bring out one percent. So I start building my touring data based on one to five percent. So anytime I go to a market, I know what size Vinyard need to book. So when you start looking at that, it's like you got a million streams, you may have got been one percent of that, right, a million streams. One percent of that may be a fan that's only ten thousand people. One percent may be a fan that's ten thousand people.
Speaker 3: You feel me. But look what you could do with ten thousand people. You can make more than thirty last hundred after Nigga, that's extra.
Speaker 2: So since you have ten thousand people, now I'm giving you thirty five hundred for this million, and you got ten thousand people, you can monetize.
Speaker 3: Go make your money I get it. Yeah, you get it.
Speaker 1: What do you think about Kanye West going number one independent? That's one of the first times, that is the first time we've seen someone actually go number one.
Speaker 3: As an independent act. What do you think about his business and what he's doing.