Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert.
Speaker 3: Lamb and I am Joe McCormick, and we're back with our crab Bag twenty twenty six series. This is a kind of chef salad of all things crab.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We were just out for a week in between when we recorded the last couple of crab episodes, and this one's a rob Did anything krabby happen to you in the past week.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see. Put me on the spot here. I spent my time in Arizona, so I didn't really see any actual crabs. But I did go to the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, and I did see some musical instruments that were shaped like crabs, which makes sense for a number of reasons. The big one that we're going to keep coming back to in this series. It's just that crabs are fascinating, just their basic body shape, their movements. We can't get enough of them, and we want to reproduce their bodies in our art and in our tools.
Speaker 3: This is interesting. I didn't know this would connect to a major theme of today's episode, which is ye crab inspired technology. So in the previous two episodes of this series we talked about, first the sixteenth century legend of the miracle crab, associated with the Catholic missionary figure Saint Francis Xavier. This was a crab said to have carried a lost crucifix out out of the ocean, aloft in its claws and back to its original owner, the Saint Francis Xavior I just mentioned. We talked a bit about the loose connection between that story and a real species known as the crucifix crab, getting a bit into the question of it's what this crab's cross shaped markings are probably four biologically speaking. This led in the second episode we did into a broader discussion of object carrying behavior in crabs, something that actually does happen quite a bit in nature. Different forms of object carrying in different crab lineages, none of them really matched what we find in the miracle story. The crabs that carry things usually do so on their backs or with their back legs, rather than in their primary clause. The main exception to this generalization is the boxer crab, which does carry things in its main clause, but those things tend to be living anemonies, which they use for feeding in defense, not inanimate objects. We also talked about a type of burrowing crab lineage known as the frog crabs. This includes the species Ranina ranina, and these crabs have gone through an unusual evolutionary pattern you might call decarsonization or uncrabification, becoming less like their crab cousins and a bit more like their lobster shaped ands, with a front to back elongated body. They don't regain the long, muscular lobster swimming tail, but they do have a longer body and a tendency to move forward and backward rather than side to side and rob correct me if I'm wrong. I think the idea was this is this elongation front to back of the body is probably related to the frog crabs tendency to be backwards burrowing species.
Speaker 2: That is the reason for it. Yeah. Yeah, It just goes to show once more, with evolution the card is always subject to change.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah. And there really is no forward or backward in evolution. There's just all different directions. It's like space, there's no upper down. We also talked briefly about some older reports of a very interesting crab shaped beast in the sorcery traditions of the London people of Zambia. This creature is known as the Nkala, which was described as being a four foot wide crab with two heads, one head front and one head back and some characteristics of a hippopotamus. I think at least one of the heads is said to be like that of a hippopotamus, and this creature was said to attack a person by eating their shadow. Very interesting. We also talked a bit about the phenomenon of seeing faces in crab bodies, and of course we talked about crab inspired wrestling acts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very briefly, very briefly.
Speaker 3: And so we're back today to talk crabs once again. So Rob, if you don't mind, I'm going to kick things off today by talking about a weird connection between a type of crab, not necessarily a true crab, not a bracky urine crab, but a crab by common convention as an idea for biomimicry, a sort of steampunk crab machine.
Speaker 2: Crab war machines. Right. I think this will be exciting for a lot of our listeners because in some areas areas of science fiction particularly sci fi warfare such as your Warhammer forty thousands. You end up you end up with a lot of crab based designs for big or small stalking machines or some sort of mechs that end up looking like crabs, because again, we just were so fascinated with a design, and when we start imagining fantastic machines of war, we think of the crab because it looks like a little machine of war to optize.
Speaker 3: It looks dangerous, it looks like it means business, and it's yeah, something that maybe one should be afraid of. Something about arthropods generally, and I would say especially crabs, especially you know, decapod crustaceans. It has more of a kind of mechanical joint and piston kind of feeling about it than say mammals or reptiles or birds do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, the exoskeleton lends itself well to comparisons to our armor technology, to our tool technology, and then much later on to our automatons in our robots. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're gonna let slip the crabs of war and go all the way back to the year eighteen sixty four and talk about an obscure crab inspired proposal for this great mechanism of belligerents called the King Crab Warship. So the text that I want to talk about is a letter appearing in the January thirtieth, eighteen sixty four edition of thus Scientific Americans back when it had the in the Scientific American. This is the ancestor to the publication still called Scientific American today, though in the nineteenth century it was a somewhat different publication. It was a weekly newspaper at the time that was focused less on pure science and more on technology, with a lot of news about recent patents and design improvements for machines.
Speaker 2: Some more industry centric.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah. And so this letter in Scientific American comes from a correspondent called c DK, known by initials CDKA in Frankfort, Pennsylvania. CDK begins this letter with a long wind up about how all of the best architectural and mechanical designs are actually prefigured by objects in the natural world, writing quote, perfection is only to be found amongst the numerous specimens of the handiwork of the Great Creator, which he has placed so lavishly around us for our use and instruction, and which we should make the proper application of the lessons which are continually placed before us.
Speaker 2: Oh so like a religious biomimicry.
Speaker 3: Okay, very much the tone of this letter, and also something that we'll get more into this in a few minutes, but kind of seem to be in the air at the time. Other examples given by the author include the architectural principle of the arch and how CDK claims this can be observed in the bones of the human skeleton. Also the roots of the oak tree, which CDK says show us the best way to lay the foundations of lighthouses and towers. And then also fossil shells, which show us how to build impenetrable fortifications. A CDK says, quote, and now, when the public mind and the minds of inventors are run wild over the changed system of warfare inaugurated with heavy guns and shot proof vessels, let us see what nature will do for us. She furnishes a model of an engine of war, which, if made of suitable size, could destroy any vessel now afloat, in spite of iron plates, big guns, and almost anything else. I allude to the species of crab l Cyclops, the king crab or horse hoof found on the coast of New Jersey. Now I look this up to make sure I was getting right what kind of animal he is talking about here. I think this has to be a reference to the Atlantic horseshoe crab, which is now known not as l cyclops but by the scientific name Lemulus polyphemus. It was previously known as Lemulus cyclops in some by some people in the past. Of course, Polyphemus is the name of the famous Cyclops from Greek mythology, appearing in the Odyssey. So this is the proposal make a king crab warship inspired by the flawless natural design of the Atlantic horseshoe crab. So before we go on with the letter and the proposal, I think maybe we should do a quick segment on the horseshoe crab, or as CDK calls it, the horse hoof.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the horseshoe crab. To be clear, it's certainly fair game for this podcast series that we're calling it a crab. But we do have to stress again the horseshoe crabs they're not true crabs. They're not even crustaceans. Their arthropod calliserates more closely related to iraqnts, but they're famously weird. If you've had the chance to see one in the wild, you know how bizarre they are, or even if you've just seen the shell, it's phenomenal.
Speaker 3: We've done whole episodes on them in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think we've talked about their biomedical applications before, which we'll allude to in passing here. But yeah, they're also pretty famous because they're notable living fossils, having existed in the world largely unchanged for at least two hundred million years and existed for something like four hundred and forty five million years. I've also seen three hundred million years thrown out there. Only four living species remain today any way you slice it. Yeah, they've been around for hundreds of millions of years, and they are like a snapshot of the past.
Speaker 3: My general understanding is that they're thought to go back to the Ordovisian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, horseshoe crabs have a pretty iconic appearance. They have this broad front shell, this cephalo thorax shell, so it's like the head thorax commind shell with wide spaced eyes. You see them on either side little dimples, and it ends up kind of giving you the look and feel of a helm. You know, we can't help but to compare it to our technology. This portion tapers back to the posterior portion of the shell and then to a spike like tail underneath the protection of their exoskeleton. The exoskeleton is going to be sand colored in juveniles and then this signature brownish green and most adults. Underneath this shell they boast five pairs of jointed legs. And then they spend most of their time rooting around through the sediment for worms and moths. And they can survive outside of the water for extended periods of time, even if their gills stay moist, and they can swim upside down in the water really cool. They do have to crawl up on the sandy beaches to mate and to lay eggs, and this is where most people are going to encounter.
Speaker 3: Them, and it makes sense, especially if we're talking about the Atlantic horseshoe crab that CDK says, you will have encountered these creatures on the shores of New Jersey.
Speaker 2: That's right. We'll get back to their range in just a second. But but yeah, that is, that is, that is where you will find them. My wife's grandmother had a story about encountering horseshoe crebs on the beaches of the Great Outer Banks where according to this tale, and I don't know to what extent this might have been embellished a little bit over the years, as family stories tend to, but she came across these horseshoe crabs on the beach and she thought that they were stuck, that they'd been like washed up, and so she tried to help them out by throwing them all back in the water, and then found out much later on that she'd unwittingly disturbed their mating loops. Yep, but that spike like tail I think is definitely part. Again, the front portion of the horseshoe crab looks like an armored helm, and then we have this what looks like a vicious looking spike in the back. Yeah, this is the the telson, and the telson takes different forms in different arthropods. If you've ever shelled shrimp before, you've encountered a much shorter telson spike amid the fantails. The stinger of a scorpion is technically a telson. Now, the horseshoe crab does have a fearsome looking telson, but this is not a weapon. It is not something it uses to stab self defensively at things messing with it and so forth. It is most The most observable function of this for humans is that it is a self riding tool. If they are flipped on their backs on the beach, you know, exposing their unprotected side, they can use it to flip back over the way they want to be. They will get flipped over in the surf as they're coming out or going back in. It is also useful as a rudder for swimming when in the water. And since the telson, like other parts of their bodies, have photoreceptors on them, it also wouldn't be out of line to think of this as a sensory appendage.
Speaker 3: Okay, but yeah, that is interesting because CDK, I think is going to allude to the idea that the telson is a weapon. I don't know we can It's kind of hard to tell exactly what he's saying in some parts of this, but I think he thinks it might be a weapon. But yeah, interesting to think that it is. Actually it is a lever primarily for riding the body, and I think also maybe used for steering when swimming in the water.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like a rudder for swimming in the water. Yeah. Now, one thing that it's coming back to the range. It is interesting to note that the four species of horseshoe crabs in the world today, they do enjoy a wide range, but that range does not include the Mediterranean. It's found along the North American Atlantic coast and in Asia. So if you look at ancient ridings, you won't find anything about them. And say, plenty of the elder or related European and Mediterranean sources out of antiquity Plenty, for instance, does discuss a horse crab that is said to be quite fast, as fast as a horse, But this is not a horseshoe crab. I think sometimes people assume that it's the horseshoe crab, but it's not. Obviously, horseshoe crabs were known to the peoples of ancient Asia and the Americas, and they certainly did observe them and had their own names for them. So the Algonquin people of North America knew them as sikinox. The Japanese referred to them as kabutagani or helmet crabs. Coming back to that, you know, and there seemed to be some Chinese traditions linking the horseshoe crabs or the I think they're called the whole to marital fidelity, apparently based on sightings of them mating, if I'm to understanding correctly, there's this idea that it's like you would always see them together. They're two together, and they're together always, which of course isn't actually the case, but you know, it's based on observations that people had, and therefore it becomes the symbol of sticking together for the long term.
Speaker 3: Like nice to imagine that you're seeing the same ones together over and over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, and it's you know, it's it's essentially a made up story for us, but you know, it's based on observations of the horseshoe crab. I also found it kind of interesting to note that despite the horseshoe crab being quite important in modern medicine for biomedical testing, their blood contains an important clotting agent that reactsively to biotoxins. I think this is something we talked about in an old episode. But despite this, they apparently have little to no presence in traditional Chinese medicine, So I found that kind of kind of interesting. But yeah, coming back to their design, you can if you look up pictures of the horseshoe crab, they do look like weird little biotanks. So I think it makes sense that someone might look to nature and say, okay, who has the best battle armor? What is the best sort of armored shell that could exist over some sort of mechanism, And it makes sense that you might consider the horseshoe crab an option.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think this highlights something interesting, which is that biomimicry is a real principle in engineering and design, but there's kind of sophisticated biomemicry and then superficial biomemicry. And there is a tendency often to just go by what like, something that looks fearsome would therefore be a good war machine. But that's not always the case, because something that is useful, say at a certain scale with the chemistry and you know, the ecology of a small animal might be very effective at that scale for that animal, but does not scale up or you know, doesn't work with the kinds of materials we would use to make a warship or you know, or conflicts with ways that we would need to control a vehicle or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Another area to highlight would be flight, where a lot of you know, there are a lot of things to learn about flight from looking at evolved biological methods of flight in different animals, but there are also a lot of just rough missteps and like, well, okay, these look like wings, these feel like wings. Let's have a run off the top of this barn and see.
Speaker 3: Or actually, I think a great comparison here is a lot of inventors assuming that technological flight would involve the flapping of wings like we see in basic basically every flying organism in birds and insects and stuff. But then we learned that actually flapping is not a very efficient way to you know, degenerate thrust and to for a machine to fly. It's better to have other methods of generating forward thrust and having fixed wings.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A lot of the best examples of biomimicry that we've discussed on the show before they come down to subtle interactions, things that are happening at like a material level, or things that are happening, you know, specific aerodynamic problems that occur and so forth, as opposed to like bigger situations like all right, if you're if you're gonna be tough in the animal world, let's translate that into being tough on the battle.
Speaker 3: Thing, all right. So to come back to this letter, CDK here says that an engine of war modeled on the Horseshoe Crab could quote destroy any vessel now afloat. How do they claim this is going to happen? Well, the letter reads, quote this creature is provided with almost everything requisite for a first class RAM ship. And to this I would invite the attention of scientific men and naval constructors. I will not enter into a scientific description of the animal in detail, but I will simply state its most prominent features for the purpose specified. And this part did have me wondering for a second. Are they saying that they won't give a detailed description for the sake of brevity, or because like the enemy might be reading. You know, if certain Crab facts reach the enemy, they could make the King Crab warship. First, I think it's the former, but I was tempted to think the latter.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I'm excited to find out how something shaped like a large horseshoe crab is going to ram things.
Speaker 3: Well, let's read the rest of the letter. CDK goes on quote in shape, it is like a turtle, covered with a thick shell or armor, and armed with a sharp stylet or prow. Now that's a little confusing because maybe I don't know my naval terminology right, but I would think prow usually goes at the front of a ship. And the style it I think would be referring to the telson, right, which is the tail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean that's the sharp part of the horseshoe crab. It's hard, and you know, I can't imagine it ramming anything by going backwards. And I also can't imagine it really being a ramming vessel if it's moving forward.
Speaker 3: Maybe we're not understanding something about this. Maybe something is getting lost in the description here. But CDK goes on quote, the back of it is brought down wedge shape, which will enable it to have considerable speed through the wall. Its propelling power is placed underneath so that its feet or paddles are hid and are not liable to be injured. It has apparatus to lower and raise itself in the water around the bow, and it is armed with a row of smaller spikes which would be sure to strike anything met in its path through the water. A vessel constructed to contain in itself the above mentioned principles, with the addition of a telescopic smoke stack and pilot house, and perhaps a revolving prow, would be really formidable. Manned with a pilot engineer and fireman, it could attack any vessel with impunity, being submerged when in action and showing nothing but the smoke stack. It could approach a vessel without being seen. With its great speed and weight. It could strike a blow with the force of a dozen swamp angels. A swamp angel here referring to a type of heavy artillery that was used in the bombardment of Charleston.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was imagining something entirely different, but yeah, thing, yeah, yeah, we're kind of like, yeah, some swamp angels are just like literal angels from the swamp covered and some sort of Spanish moss.
Speaker 3: Mermaids or sirens of the swamp with some algae. Anyway, CDK says, thus utterly demolishing its opponent. If attacked and surrounded by boats, it could rise to the surface, spin around, and scatter its assailants like chips. In fact, under almost any circumstances, I can see in a monster king crab admirable means for protection and defense. Signed CDK.
Speaker 2: Frankford, Pa, Wow, Well, I love the kaiju sized day dreaming involved in this scenario, and I don't know some of it, I can, I can get. I mean, certainly you can admit that if all of these things were possible on a machine level, it could be effective. And it is you know, he observes that. Okay, you know, essentially the legs and underbelly the mechanisms propelling the horseshoe crab are protected by the shell. True, And so I guess you could you could make some sort of an argument for some sort of a big shell like that covering the machinery that propels a ship through the water. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, it kind of makes me wonder if CDK had been reading a lot about ancient Mediterranean combat with the try rems, which did function, and there were still ramming attacks in naval tactics at the time of the Civil War. We can talk about that in it. But you know, the age of the Tryrem, you would have very much a ramming focused naval combat where you know, a ship is trying to build up speed to ram an opponent ship broadside. But then another type of attack that you would get with the Tryrem would be these ships trying to come up against another ship and shear off its ores to you know, make it to prevent it from moving. So so yeah, maybe that makes me think maybe he's got similar things in mind, like you got to protect the oars or the legs he specifies can be either one. The ship could have oars or legs. What how would it have legs? I'm a little a little confused confused there, maybe like you know, many poles sticking out the bottom like a pole barge that goes along.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now it is interesting to think though that if he is invoking, you know, the ideas of the Trireem and so forth, he would be reproducing a pattern we see quite a lot in human thought, and that is when we try to imagine the future of warfare, we often extrapolate things off of the past warfare and not really on the present nature of warfare. So he would not be alone in making that air.
Speaker 3: So we'll come back to the specific naval details. But I do want to, of course mention that despite the compelling pitch, this was never built. The King Crab Warship was never realized. I went looking to see if I could find anything else about this letter, like any you know, notice from historians or attempts to put it in context. But I really couldn't find anything like that. So I think the King Crab proposal remains a just weird, barely noticed, obscure little curiosity. It's just a strange little letter hanging out there in history that never really went anywhere.
Speaker 2: Oh it's kind of a shame because you can really catch cdk's excitement here, and you know, I would have hoped he would at least found one other human out there in the world that he could share this with.
Speaker 3: I really suspect CDK was talking about this a lot. Yeah, I think it came up. I think it came up at dinner. I think it came up at work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think there was a lot of this talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was probably a significant other that was like, you know, you should write to Scientific American about this insteads just continuing to tell me about it. I think someone there might be excited to hear from you.
Speaker 3: But this actually leads me to the broader context I wanted to put this in. So I was reading, I was trying to find context for this letter, and like I said, didn't really find anything. But I did, through that quest, end up reading about an interesting phenomenon taking place during the Civil War, of which this seems to be one example, which was a kind of frenzied period of amateur inventors scrambling to talk to anyone who would listen about their designs for stupendous machines that would win the war. So one source that was really useful here is a history book that I found online. You can read the full text online called Lincoln and the Tools of War, originally published in nineteen fifty six by University of Illinois Press by the Pulitzer Prize winning American historian Robert V. Bruce. Now I haven't read the whole book, but I read a couple of chapters that discussed the sort of patent fever that accompanied Lincoln's presidency and the outbreak of the US Civil War, where many aspiring amateur inventors did not seem to be aware of the proper channels to get their designs noticed, such as contacting the Army depart Department of Ordinance. So they would just try to get in touch directly with the President. And the strange thing is, in a lot of cases, Lincoln would hear them out. Bruce writes, quote, scarcely had parade torches gutted out, campaign songs died away, and votes been counted in the election which made Abraham Lincoln sixteenth President of the United States. When inventors began writing the successful candidate, and he gives an example of one such early letter, quote, it looks like war. I have invented a machine which will fire five hundred bullets simultaneously. Write me if you wish me to explain it to you. And then Bruce adds that Lincoln jotted a note for his secretary, John Nikolay across the top of this letter which just said, need not answer this. But Bruce has a whole chapter in this book called Patent Nonsense, which is focused on the sheer volume of invention proposals, on what Bruce calls cranks and dreamers that Lincoln waded through during and before the war. I'll just mention a few examples. There was a general craze at this time from multiple sources and with different designs for steam powered guns as opposed to gunpowder powdered guns. Sounds like an interesting idea, but the problem was that they were usually not an improvement on existing technology. I think it was a case of a solution in search of a problem here, where like you know, you had all this like great new innovations in steam powered machinery, and people are thinking, we can make this make a better gun. But from what I was reading, the models that were actually built and tested were unreliable and produced less muzzle velocity than gunpowder. So actually gunpowder was already better. It was just people trying to, I think, take one thing they knew and combine it with a use case where it didn't actually work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we're real steampunk inner here though, Well, yes's the supply steam to everything.
Speaker 3: Another thing that inventors were going wild for at the time of the Civil War was the double cannon or the fork This what Bruce calls it is the quote forked cannon firing chain shot.
Speaker 2: Rob.
Speaker 3: I think this has somehow come up on the show before, but I don't remember what episode that was.
Speaker 2: Well, let's keep going and maybe it'll maybe I'll remember.
Speaker 3: This was an extremely popular suggestion, with seemingly dozens of different inventors all writing to Lincoln about this fearful design, imagining that they were each the first to think of it. To summarize the basic idea, I'll read from Bruce here quote from two diverging cannon joined at the breach were to be fired two projectiles linked by a chain. As the two shots spread apart, the chain between them was supposed to snap taut and cut a terrible swathe through the rebel ranks. One guy from Connecticut wrote Lincoln not once, not twice, but five times about the double cannon idea. But this is a great example of you know, when everybody is having the same great idea and nobody's actually using it, there's usually a good reason. And the reason in this case is it had been tried multiple times in the past. It did not usually work as intended, in part because you couldn't in part because you couldn't get the two cannons to fire at exactly the same time or with the same initial velocity, so you know it would go you would go off target or you would get kind of malfunctions. The Confederates actually built one of these and tested it in Athens, Georgia, and I've read there are competing accounts of what happened here. Bruce mentions this story that when they fired it, one of the guns fired before the other one, and the chain whipped back around the unfired barrel and killed most of the artillery crew. From what I was reading that that is a I think that is now the less subscribed to account of what actually happened. A more subscribe to account that I was reading instead says that both barrels fired, but the contraption could not be aimed effectively and the chain snapped, so both balls and chain flew off target, accidentally smashing a chimney and killing a cow in a nearby field.
Speaker 2: Hmm. Wow. It's certainly a brutal idea for a weapon, and I cannot help but wonder how much of it is thinking about what the technology can do to improve the nature of warfare, and how much of it is just kind of like almost a reflection on just how nasty and brutal modern warfare had become, and just sort of like turning that back on technology and maybe in an almost subconscious way, thinking well, how could what else can we do in the spirit of how awful warfare is at this present moment.
Speaker 3: This one does feel to me less like the steam powered gun idea. Feels like somebody is somewhat familiar with steam technology and steam mechanisms and they're just trying to apply it to a different domain. They're like, oh, now there's a need for new war technology. Can we apply steam to that? Yeah, this one, the double cannon, feels more like the way people would dream up like horror movie scripts, like you know, like you're writing, you know, saw scripts, trying to think up new grizzly ideas of things that could happen to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: One last example here from the dreamers category, Lincoln got a bunch of letters from a machinist named Edward Tippett who kept writing to him about designs for a mighty battle balloon, which we laugh at, but that will come back to that. That's actually not a bad idea in principle, and Lincoln did use a form of balloons.
Speaker 2: But nobody ever called them battle balloons. No.
Speaker 3: The letters from this guy also contained a lot of theological warnings and obscure references to the Bible. So just some quotes from his letters. You must have my balloon to put down all four and foes. I again warn you against secret enemies. Watch well, and you will find the golden wedge and the Achan too. Bruce thinks the Achen here is a reference to a story in Joshua chapter seven, where an Israelite named Achan is punished for stealing spoils of war after the fall of Jericho. I couldn't piece together all of the elements of this, but finally later this letter says, I say, you cannot conquer without my navigating balloon. That said. In this book, Bruce describes how Lincoln had a real appetite for hearing from inventors. Like it wasn't just like all these people are bombarding him with ideas and annoying him. Even though a lot of these ideas turned out to be useless or impractical, some of them are just outright crankery. Lincoln kept hearing inventors out, he would read their letters, he would invite them to the White House to give demonstrations, and Bruce gives several reasons for this. One is Lincoln's firm belief that technological advantage could help win the war, so he thought that new inventions would be critical for overall victory. The second thing is Lincoln's personal interest in all things mechanical. He was a bit of an engineering nerd, and in fact was the only US president to actually have taken out a patent himself. He patented a device that was used to lift riverboats over shoals and sandbars, like had these inflatable bellows on the side, so if your riverboat runs in the shallows, you can inflate the bellows and get over them. And then also there's something that kind of comes through in this chapter, which is Lincoln having a bit of a tolerance and sometimes even an affectionate amusement at pitches that turned out to be dead end fantasies I would say, like the King Crab, though there is no evidence Lincoln ever encountered or considered the King Crab warship idea. But I do want to emphasize that Lincoln's tolerance dealing with nonsense from amateur inventors was not just because he found it amusing. There's a bit of amusement you can read between the lines here, But the main thrust, at least according to Bruce, is that he was desperate to win the war as fast as possible and thought, to some degree correctly, that new inventions would bring about that end, and there are some examples where that proved correct. One commonly cited example is the Spencer repeating rifle, which is a seven shot lever action rifle that Lincoln tried out at the White House after meeting its inventor, Christopher Spencer, in eighteen sixty three. Lincoln was very impressed, and he advocated its use by the Union Army, even overruling some initial resistance from the Department of Ordnance leadership, and it is thought by some historians that this rifle made a big difference. It significantly increased the firing rate of the Union cavalry and gave them a distinct advantage on the battlefield. Another example, I told you I'd come back to balloons, despite the fact that Tippetts you cannot conquer without my balloon. Pitch went nowhere. Lincoln actually did personally push for the Union to use hot air balloons for aerial reconnaissance, and this was after he was impressed by a demonstration from an inventor and aeronaut named Thaddeus Lowe in eighteen sixty one, during at least one of these demonstrations. I don't know how many there were, There might have just been one, but at one of these demonstrations, Lowe famously sent Lincoln a telegraph via wire from hundreds of feet up in the air describing what he could see from above. You can easily imagine how that would be incredibly important in gathering intelligence at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And of course airships and balloons would continue to be very important in warfare, you know, over the decades to come.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, So how does this come back to the King Crab and naval designs? Well, As I said, the exact design of the King Crab warship was never used, but the basic idea of a submersible or semi submersible ship that would attack by ramming was actually used in the US Civil War. Maybe a lot of people don't know this, but there were several basically submarines or semi submersible ships. Several of these were used by the Confederacy. Though there ramming attack was not like the trirems of the ancient Mediterranean, which would again those would ram each other broadside with a kind with an you know, a kind of thing sticking out of the front of the ship I think usually called a ram. The ramming attacks of Civil War submersibles involved hitting enemy vessels with a mounted torpedo. So imagine it's just a big spike with explosives on the end. I think this is sometimes called a torpedo spar.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also this is just this is the age of the ironclad ships as well, so right, yeah, you know very much. The idea of what if a ship had an exoskeleton, how effective would that be?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Very I mean again, you can imagine to what extent that was or was not inspired by crabs or Arthur buds generally, I don't know, but yeah, plating putting iron plating around a ship that that was also not just submersibles, but you know, but top floating ships. That was used in the Civil War as well. The Union Army actually did develop some submersible technology, so they developed a forty seven foot long iron submersible with an animal name. Though it was not called the King Crab, it was called the USS Alligator. Launched in eighteen sixty two, It was based on an earlier design by a French inventor named Brutus de Villeroi, and in its final form, the Alligator was powered by a small propeller at the stern, not by legs or ores like the King Crab describes. But though actually an earlier version of the USS Alligator design did have oars, it was powered by ores operated by the crew from inside. But it turns out ores don't worked very well for underwater vessels. I mean, they can kind of work, but propellers are more efficient in underwater vessels, so the propeller was added swapped out for the oars. The propeller was rotated by a hand powered crank operated by the crew inside. Air was supplied by tubes that were attached to floats that went to the surface, and there was an air pump, so these floats would follow along with the ship at the surface and allow gas exchange. Something about that feels tenuous and scary. I guess all of this does, because it, you know, eighteen sixty submersible. Apparently, light was provided by glass plates at the top of the hull, and the Alligator was put into service for a brief time, and the US Navy had various plans for it, like they talked about potentially using it to attack bridges or blockade runner ships. But before it could do very much, it was lost at sea off the coast of North Carolina during bad weather in eighteen sixty three, So exactly a King Crab in design, but sharing some characteristics with the proposal, though of course this had already been built at the time this letter came into Scientific American.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also just kind of an interesting snapshot of marine warfare to come.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I'll say final verdict from me, the King Crab warship. Maybe not a practical design, but I admire the spirit the actual Atlantic horseshoe crab. Very good design. Thumbs up, thumbs up. Evolution.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, you know we mentioned how in one of the previous episodes we did talk about crabs and demonology to a certain extent. I want to come back to that again, at least in a limited fashion, before getting into another more prominent topic. But yeah, I was looking around and I found a source from eighteen seventies, so another older source here. This was titled The Folklore of China by Nicholas Bellfield. I'm sorry, Nicholas Bellfield Denny's, and it regarded this one little snippet, one little place in the book concerned crabs and exorcisms among the people in the southeastern Chinese province of Fujin. According to the author, shortly before a child's birth, priests would attempt to scare away demons that might harm the child during birth. So I'm just going to read a snippet from this again, again stressing that this isn't an older text, and I couldn't find much. I couldn't find anything about this. It's more contemporary. But according to this text quote, ten or twenty pieces of a kind of grass, cut up about an inch long, and several likenesses of the crab cut out of common paper are put into censor and burned, or sometimes several live crabs, after being used in this ceremony are taken and turned into the street by way of frightening or propitiating the spirits. The reason why crabs are used is that the name of one of these demons sounds like that of crab in the local dialect.
Speaker 3: Now wait a minute, I'm a little confused here. Based on the description, are the crabs the thing that are the things that are being exercised to protect the mother and the child, or are the crabs doing the protecting.
Speaker 2: If I'm understanding this correctly, I think it's the idea that there's just the idea of the crab is a counter to the demon, because the demon's name sounds like crab. Okay, well, it's almost like a mocking. I'm again I don't completely understand it, but given that it's crab based exorcism, I had to at least mention it.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. But so in one form you would burn an effigy of the crab, but in another form you would release the crabs too into the streets, swarm the street in front of your house to provide protection, or scare the spirits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess again. I couldn't find much in the way of recent sources on this, outside of some some crab statues being sold online as Finchwei exorcism animals, though I believe that in general, within fin Schwei and elsewhere in Chinese culture, crabs are primarily symbols of wealth and advancement, and in fact, if you look around, they are sometimes depicted as holding aloft a coin or another treasure in a very similar fashion to what we discussed previously with the crab holding up the crucifix or some sort of a you know, a Buddhist treasure.
Speaker 3: Wow, so you've got an image in the outline here of a crab holding up a coin. This, this is a Chinese artifact here, Yes, okay, the posture is exactly the same as that a seventeenth century or maybe it was eighteenth century, I don't remember. The silver sculpture of the crab holding the crucifix. I, you know, could just be coincidence, But I wonder if one is inspired by the other. Could the Catholic crab imagery have been inspired by traditional China imagery.
Speaker 2: It seems possible or certainly that both of these images are speaking to a longer tradition of having a crab hold up some sort of a treasure. Yeah. And then also more common within Chinese iconography is the image of the crab setting upon a bed of coins, almost like a dragon in its layer. I think one thing I think we touched on this as well. But one thing to keep in mind is that when we look at a crab's there is the observation of what a crab does with its body, certainly, but there We also can't help but to imagine what would we do. What would a human do with a crab's body if we could, we would do things like hold coins, grab coins and hold them aloft, that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the become an arthropods symbol of your own greed yep, cliff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So for more answers on this, I was fortunate enough to find a full paper from Frontiers and Marine Science than twenty twenty five by Yan and Zang titled the Connotation of Chinese Crab Culture a Comprehensive Review from the perspectives of Literature, Art and diet. So this paper is pretty fun. It's a great breakdown of crab culture. That's the term they use in China across numerous dynasties, so covering a huge stretch of time. And they stress that of course you can't ignore the fact that crabs are delicious, and then on top of them just being delicious, they hold not only this practical value but also significant theoretical value. Again, we can't help but look at the crab and imagine things related to the crab. What would we do if we were a crab? What does the crab say about us? And so forth. So they quote numerous bits of old Chinese poetry, and a lot of these are first and foremost talking about how delicious crab meat is, but then in doing so also talking about how novel the creature are to look at. I'm gonna read this is a This is a snippet from the paper that quote the quote. The quotes a poem as well. They say, Zoo Way, a famous writer and painter in the Ming dynasty, once wrote a poem which reads as follows. In the village alongside rivers, the crabs are plump. When the rice is ripe, the two kilipet of the crabs stand up like a halbard in the green mud of the paddy field. If you turn them over, you see a round and bulging navel like dong Zou's belly button. And that's the end of the poem. But then the authors continue while praising the fatness of crab meat. This poem also uses metaphor to satirize Dongzhou, a tyrannical trader. Naturally, this kind of direct metaphor with the appearance characteristics of crab is slightly shallow. But they go on to decite other poems as well, where there is like the main point tends to be man crab meat is so delicious, or there's more than one where it's like crab meat and wine. What a great comba.
Speaker 3: This makes me think about how the I mean this might be obvious, but about how the connotations of comparing a person to a particular animal or not culturally universal, So like comparing a person to a dog or a pig in one culture might have very different connotations than in another culture. And I have basically no cultural context for comparing a person to a crab? What does that mean at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I have yet. This would be a great opportunity for listeners out there, but I can't think of any examples where that I've ever heard where a person is directly compared to a crab in a favorable way. Now, again, we are discussing, and we'll be discussing a prime example of a crab as a positive totem, as a as a as an icon of good luck. And that's one thing. But in terms of saying, hey, you're being a crab, or you are like a crab, or that person is like a crab, I don't know if I've ever heard it with a real with a with a strong positive framing to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I don't know how to take the crab's navel is like this tyrannical trader's belly button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it sounds like they're mocking a someone who's considered a batty in an enemy. Yeah. But they they also cite a legend. The authors here side a legend regarding the first consumption of crab. There's talk about how well crabs are fearsome, So the first people to eat the crab meat, they had to have been warriors. They had have been mighty, because who would think to do this? Who would think to rise up against the crabs? But they cited a legend regarding the originator of eating crabs, and they say that it was said to have been a flood manager named Baja working for the legendary engineer you the Great, who we've talked about on the show before, very much a cultural hero, you know, someone who steals the or acquires the supernatural soil to aid in flood management. And then one of his essentially underlings is the first to boil a crab, smell the aroma and say this just seems pretty good. And then eat it and then pass that wisdom on to people as well. So I guess maybe the idea here is that, like, you know, realizing you can eat crabs is almost kind of like a great cultural achievement on par with flood management.
Speaker 3: This just reminds me. I'm having a hazy memory of another Chinese folk character we've talked about on the show before who is famous for figuring out what foods are good to eat.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're thinking of Shinong the Oh yeah, yeah. The legend goes, you know, tried every orb, basically tried all these different poisons, even in order to determine what is good and what is usable and so forth.
Speaker 3: Okay, but here we have the seafood focused version of that, or at least not trying all of them, but at least trying the crab.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It looks a little scary at first, but it is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And apparently there's a there's a park in Kunshan City in China that is that is named for this figure, and it has a number of different statues of crabs. This is mentioned in the article, and they include some photographs which I reproduce for you here. Joe in our notes. Uh, and you can see there's one that has a child, either a large child or well, either a small child or a large crab. But there is a it is a large statue of a crab with a child on its back.
Speaker 3: Adorable.
Speaker 2: And then there here is another giant heap of coins and a crab is on top of that pile of coins, again like a like a Western dragon.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So uh the crab has this recurring association with with riches and abundance.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, And so I dug into that a little bit to term to determine like where does that come from? And uh, Basically the crab wealth connection comes down to some of the crab's symbolic characteristics and also another classic Chinese homophone, you know, words that sound the same but have unrelated meanings. So the shell of a crab is ja, which also means if it would mean if I was one hundred percent pronouncing it correctly, and I am probably not, But it means number one with or you know, top performing, but with special connotations regarding the old Imperial examination ranking system.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, number one, best of the best.
Speaker 2: Right right, So the crab shell and also you know, ranking number one in something. These ideas are closely ranked symbolically linked via language, and then you have some other things in play too. So the crab has an auspicious number of legs eight and it's there also is this idea that it's sideways walking has business success connotations concerning easy money or side fortunes.
Speaker 3: This is that like making money on the side or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like hinkai, I think, And I think sometimes that has very negative connotations, like you're running a scam or it's ill gotten gains. But I think depending on how it's used, it can also mean things that are that are certainly legal and above board, but are also kind of like a matter of luck, you know, coming down to good fortune in business, things outside of your control. And I guess lateral movement. And then yeah, and then the big one too is that this comes back to what we were saying earlier. Just crab claws look like things that could hold onto coins. They could grab coins and then hold on to them. And also coming down to just the nature of the crab, knowing that you know, a crab can be a little fighty if cornered the flighty or fighty there, they can be a little intimidating. They can appear to stand their ground, so we can imagine them saying, no, that's my coin and I'm not going to let it go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can see all of that. And I don't know, this might have gone past me. But if we didn't clarify, why is it that, in addition to having the tequila or that the two claws, it has eight legs? Why would eight be auspicious that generally the number eight is thought of as lucky in Chinese culture? Correct?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So it's like all these things kind of coming together with the crab, and I think again also just the huge factor that crabs are amusing to look at. If the crab wasn't so entertaining in and out itself, we wouldn't heap on all of these ideas.
Speaker 3: Well, Rob, I think we need to wrap up part three of the crab Bag there, but this has been yet another enjoyable and enlightening episode. So, folks at home, I hope you will join us for crab Bag number four on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in the meantime, go ahead and write in. We'd love to hear. I'd love to hear from anyone out there who can speak more to the crab as a symbol of business, luck and good fortune in Chinese cultures. Yeah, if you have some personal examples or observations of that right in, send your photos. We would love to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Also, if there is some really significant way that crabs feature in your culture, something interesting about crabs where you live that we haven't talked about yet, send it on our way let us know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what is your favorite sci fi crab based war machine? Also fair game and I know some of you will write in about that for sure. Just a reminder to everyone out there that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes in Tuesdays and Thursdays, short form episodes on Wednesdays and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on weird House Cinema. Stuff to blil Your Mind has been around for years and years. At this point, we are new to Netflix, however, so there are only so many episodes that you'll find in a visual form on Netflix. The rest are going to be in audio form wherever you get your audio podcasts, and you can find pretty extensive archive there.
Speaker 3: That's right, and it's the same show. By the way, just in case people are wondering, the version that we're putting out on Netflix is just the video version of the audio podcast that we release at the same time in audio feed. So yeah, if you have a found us in one on one platform and you want to check us out on the other, go for it. Absolutely huge, thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.