Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the closing bell on this stock movers report the company's making moves at the close of US trading with Carol Masser, Tim Stenebeck, Romain Bostik, and Katie Greifel.
Speaker 1: All Right, so that's a look the big picture there. From Katie, I'm going to go back to the S and P five hundred and Bailly, you've got two hundred and ninety nine names in the S and P five hundred higher here at the close, about two hundred and four to the downside, one unchanged.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're looking a little bit under the hood on a sector bisector basis, seeing some strength for communication services and financials as well as consumer discretionary, but the big drags information technology, and then also seeing some weakness across utilities and industrials. So an interesting bifurcated market.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, let's get to some individual gainers if I may. And I'm looking at the number three gainer in the S and P five hundred today, and it's the number two gainer in the Nasdaq one hundred. We are talking about meta platforms. This one at its highs Intra day up about eleven and a half percent, settling down though with just under a nine percent gain in the session. This has the company's developing plans for a cloud infrastructure business to sell access to AI computing power and models, competing with industry leaders such as Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud. So really leading into the hyperscaler mode, if you will. Company considering selling access to various AI models hosted on its existing AI infrastructure, as well as raw computing capacity as part of its meta compute initiatives. Some of this has to be as a result of the pressure on the company to basically justify all of the spend that it has done on building out some of their data centers. So now maybe kind of renting out, if you will, it's excess capacities. So an interesting one on this. We talked with our mandeep Seeing of Bloomberg Intelligence. He's like, is this a temporary thing? Is this something more substantial? So we'll look for some more clarity from the company on that one. Over to another mag seven I go got to talk about Microsoft coming off its worst month in years due to concerns about how the company will fare in a world marked by AI. The stock was down seventeen percent in the month of June, bouncing back a little bit here on the first trading day of July, up about three percent in today's session. Microsoft planning to announce thousands of layoffs as the company aims to increase spending on AI tech. John is expected to cut less than two and a half percent of its overall workforce of about two hundred and twenty thousand people. This according to people familiar with the matter. This was coming from Business Insider. They reported this late yesterday. So the stock bouncing back today and then Bailly, you were like, you're all over the place. You were on air with us in the two o'clock hour. We cut up with one of the co founders of one of the IPOs today bending spoons and IPO at the close up about forty percent in its first day of trading here and this come it's backers raising about one point sixty eight billion.
Speaker 4: Market value of I should pull it up. It was roughly about twenty one billion.
Speaker 3: Twenty six right now at least of the clothes, Carol, So pretty darn big move.
Speaker 1: Not too shabby, right, Although I feel like you and me and Tim we like we were trying to like press this guy one of the co.
Speaker 4: Founders, Luca Ferrari.
Speaker 1: Luca Ferrari, I'm like what the business model is and kind of where growth comes from going going forward, So a lot of questions. I'm already looking forward to its first earnings day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you and I both, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Bailey had great coverage on the Bloomberg terminal. Time to check out his stories there. Hey, I wanted to get to decliners and I kind of want to play off of what Carol said about meta platforms. Core We've share a study falling fourteen percent, so metasurging by you know, after our Bloomberg News team reported that they're getting into this new business. But it's Core Weave's turf, specifically considering signing access to various AI models hosted on its existing AI of infrastructure as well as so called raw computing capacity that would be part of its meta compute initiative. And that is what Core We've done.
Speaker 6: It does.
Speaker 5: We also saw Nevius fall double digits today, another neocloud provider also check out shares of Caterpillar. Speaking of AI plays, Yes, Caterpillar has went an AI play down six point nine percent just today. Michael Burry you know him from the Big Short for his bets against the US housing market ahead of the two thousand and eight financial crisis. He said in a late in a post late on Tuesday on Substack that he shorted Caterpillar shares for the first time. He also shorted Nvidia Applied Materials I share, Semiconductor ETF TESLA, saying that the socks itself is a pure form of overvaluation in an index. Okay, Caterpillar shares down today by six point nine percent, And finally, let's get into retail. And with Walmart shares falling today by close to four percent, it closed at its lowest intra day going back to November of twenty twenty five, or actually lowest closed now since November of twenty twenty five. Down for six days in a row, the longest string of down days since October thirty. First Cleveland Research issue to report that says that quarter quarter day trends have slowed. Separately, Jeffrey's US consumer strategist wrote that, well, he's unsure if it's the bottom for Walmart shares. He has no idea when new money will step in. Given the drop today and the twenty percent decline from the peak. He said he would not be shocked if Walmart executives are discussing is there something we should do or say this week or next given the violence in the move lower dounklast of twenty percent from those June highs.
Speaker 6: Right, let's take a quick look at the bond market. We did hear from FRED chairman Kevin Worsh speaking in CenTra earlier today saying that inflation risks are down, not making too much of an impact in the market overall. You can see we're talking about basis point moves in either direction. We know we have that big jobs report coming on tomorrow, a rare Thursday jobs report, So maybe lying in wait for that, But I just I really want to talk about Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, yeah, there's the jobs report, that's important, but you know it's really important. Well, is Taylor Swift? Are they getting married? Really at the garden?
Speaker 4: I don't know it. I feel like no, I can't believe.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's a.
Speaker 4: Major major distraction. I yeah, maybe that's true. Thing obvious, right, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I hope it's a red herring. If it's a red herring, they put a lot of planning, a lot of logistics, but.
Speaker 4: She's good with this kind of stuff. She is distracting.
Speaker 6: So The New York Times has reported that there's a plan gathering of one hundred people at Madison Square Garden on July second, which is tomorrow, followed by a second event for about a thousand guests on July third. So it hasn't actually been confirmed that this is the wedding.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't you wouldn't you just like do maybe a concert or a party and then.
Speaker 4: I think she's going to do a concert.
Speaker 5: And then and then maybe get all your guests on on some planes or something and bring them to Rhode Island.
Speaker 1: Will you go to watch out where she has a beautiful estate up on the hills overlooking the ocean.
Speaker 4: That would That's what I'm hoping happy.
Speaker 5: What do you think?
Speaker 6: I just I can't believe that she.
Speaker 3: Would do it. I think it's a headfake. But I also want to give Travis some love. I feel like all we do is call it Taylor's wedding. There have to be two people to be.
Speaker 2: Part of it.
Speaker 4: Baily, you've been married, don't you know? The wedding is all about married married, you are married. Sorry, sorry, sorry, it's only about the bride.
Speaker 3: My first wife is a big fan of God.
Speaker 4: My girlfriend wife.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 4: We'll see though.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's kind of exciting because we're going to find out in the next few days what exactly is happening here.
Speaker 3: But it just seems I think the best part is, Katie, you want to talk about it, but you're like, I cannot wait to not be in Manhattan. I know, to find out.
Speaker 6: I know that's the thing. Getting out of the city is the thing to do. It's funny actually in New York City, Mayor Zora and Mandani has been asked multiple times about this. He's used those occasions decide step the question and just encourage everyone to stay cool during the heat wave as that heat dome descends upon us.
Speaker 4: All I'm just gonna say she's known for her Fourth of July parties. I know she's kind of like reading up to it.
Speaker 6: And you know, again we're just talking about July second, July third, So maybe the wedding really is on July fourth. Maybe she isn't really getting married at MSG that would be insane.
Speaker 1: Well, I know, is you got to get it done before the next football season starts.
Speaker 4: When did we start training?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 4: Why would you look at me? I know this is not although you've been all in on stat.
Speaker 3: Bailey's got some time, he's got some time to before, he's got a report for camp.
Speaker 4: You got to do a honeymoon, but you don't have honeymoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well, I hope you and your first wife are okay.
Speaker 2: This stock mover's report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.