Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Pass Podcast. It is Friday, December eighth, and the Ravens were repairing to play the La Rams on Sunday at M and T Banks Stadium. Head coach Sean Horriball I met with the media today and talked about that game coming up this weekend.
Speaker 2: It was a great day for the guys practicing, which I appreciate as a coach. They were high energy and sharp, and we're gonna need to be because we're playing a very good team in some tough conditions on Sunday. But we're looking forward to it and looking forward to our fans being out there and being raucous. It's a good word, right, you know how to spell that one?
Speaker 3: Jamison?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, what questions you have?
Speaker 3: How is Lamar feeling today?
Speaker 2: He was feeling good, full life, full life. He looked good out there and he was back and he's recovered.
Speaker 4: So Odell was not out there here just at that day or.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that was my day.
Speaker 2: Given the day to day, he had two two really good days of practice.
Speaker 1: More of miss five games each and the past your season down to stretch the poor Ruxuries that having back this year for that stretch run they.
Speaker 4: Get keeps run the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, December football is so important. It's a it's advent, you know, the advent we are. We are seeking something, an advent and we're definitely seeking something from a football perspective in December. So that's what we're after right now. I know you like that one. We just kind of say, yeah, that works, that works. But uh, but we want to be at our best, you know, and obviously having Lamar and and all the guys where they're at right now ready to go is something that we're excited about. But we've got something, some things to accomplish, and it starts, uh, but just playing our best football from day to day and from game to game.
Speaker 3: Marcus Williams, feeling better more on hum Free, said he's ready to go. How difficult are kind of.
Speaker 2: The decisions that come even on game day just with having all those guys.
Speaker 3: Ready to play.
Speaker 4: All the guys have contributed at this point, but now you you know, you have to make a secrets in the secretary.
Speaker 2: No question. I mean, there's gonna be healthy scratches. You know, we haven't had too many healthy scratches this year, so there'll be some healthy scratches. And that's not an indication obviously of how well guys can contribute for us, because they've contributed already so well. So it's just gonna be kind of strategic based on what we're faced with, and you know what gives us the best chance to deal with whatever we have to deal with during the game personnel wise.
Speaker 5: This is sort of an Hubball Friday question brought what's the sort of other science behind how do you pair guys up in the locker room? How do you how do you do the neighbor of the.
Speaker 3: Science of it.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of science that goes into that, however you want to describe it.
Speaker 3: I'm a big science guy.
Speaker 2: You know, remember the Saturday Night Live skit when they were busting Tom Brady for not being a science computer. Yeah, that that line right there. Yeah, like a science computer would. Uh, it's it's just it's just a field thing. I work with Megan mcgloughlin on it because she's in charge of the locker room, uh lockers and who gets them and stuff. So we just kind of work together on it and just just move guys around as we go. It's really it's really you could put anybody next to anybody in this team. I mean, that's really what it blows down to. And we do like to mix it up. We don't put them by position, we don't put them by jersey number. We put them by uh, you know, life, just move them around. And I think it helps. I think it helps guys get to know different guys, which is a good thing. Do you have like a little chart that you have everybody we have we're organized yeh, science computer stuff, Yeah, exactly, charts, charts, things like.
Speaker 5: That, giving you a chuckle inside, just the idea of these two guys together.
Speaker 3: You don't have to specify with Lots are the ones.
Speaker 2: That nobody has ever said. I've never had a complaint, nobody's ever chuckled, nobody's ever said anything to me about it. Everybody just just goes and grabs their stuff. Wherever the name is over their locker, that's where they go. That's how that's And we appreciate.
Speaker 4: That players have any say or like based on senuity or anything.
Speaker 1: Case you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, usually the guys who've been here the longest get the best spots. You know, I am conscious of that. I know which I know what the you know, the good spots are you know the good lots. Yeah, they get the bigger lots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's done.
Speaker 2: You and Joey having Jerry back on the field, and great to have Jerry back. It's he's good to see him out there. It's always fun when Jerry rolls into town, you know. So, uh and actually you're picking his brain a little bit. He watches us, you know, and uh, Jack, Well he was out there in the middle of things.
Speaker 3: I saw that. So it looks like coaching.
Speaker 2: No, I think that's it's part of It's definitely his who he is.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: He gave me some good, good, good philosophy this morning, so I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Did you check out the trophies on your way in and and have any thoughts on your way back the soccer trophies.
Speaker 2: Well, the soccer trophies, Uh I did. They're really big trophies, got bigger than ours. Our Lombardi Trophy is not that big.
Speaker 3: You know that, But I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know that the value is necessarily in size of the trophy. Although what they accomplished was pretty incredible, right, and you know, to to to win across the board like that like a Grand Slam kind of soccer. Right, So I'm kind of getting more into soccer now. We've we've had a chance to meet some people in the in the business the other football and uh, it's it's really cool. It's a cool sport. So uh, Plus I'm a big fan of the show, you know, Ted Lasso.
Speaker 4: So John, we're gonna hear from Josh Bines in a moment for to have a player like that, I mean, he came in as an undrafted rookie, was here, helped you win a Super Bowl, left and then came back. But what's it like to to kind of, you know, see his career and follow up from Afar and then him to come back and retire as a Raven?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, you know, Josh Bienes is announcing his retirement as a Raven today. His whole family's here, His beautiful family's here with his with his amazing wife and kids, and they'll be walking around here right now. Look at look at this family, and and he's got a couple of sons of probably be looking at Michigan here. In a couple of years, Ozzie was trying to recruit for Alabama already Josh said, absolutely not because where did Josh go to school? Auburn, Right War Eagle. So, but to me it's kind of jo is a person, player, man who epitomizes the opportunity that football represents. Okay, the true meritocracy that we like to talk about in football, that no matter where you come from, no matter where you've been, your background, whatever it is, how heralded you are or you are not, how much you've talked about, whatever it might be, the content of your character, your talent, your work effort, effort, your ability just to find a way to get the job done and produce and whatever the job may be. To me, that's what Josh Bines represents. As you said, undrafted free agent. Probably people probably weren't betting on him to make the team even way back then. Twelve seasons later twelve as starter almost every game for twelve seasons, productive starter, making tackles, setting records for tackles, all the things he did. And then not just that past the football stuff which you have to do, you have to produce, but the locker room, the leadership, the mentorship, the example that he's such for the guys by the type of a family man he's a father, husband that he is. I think guys look at that and it makes a difference.
Speaker 3: And I know that.
Speaker 2: I know he's been there for guys just to talk to and make a difference in their lives. So that's what a hall of famer is to me, you know, A hall of famer, Yeah, he's he's that kind of a player that deserves that kind of recognition in terms of being all the accolades that hes accomplish as a football player, but a hall of famer in life, you know, and relationships. So the beauty of football to me is someone like that. And uh So, without any further ado, Josh Mines.
Speaker 6: I hang on, thats y all. I'm kind of it's kind of surreal. It hits you kind of kind of quick. I'm not an emotional person, but like I just like har say, I just really appreciate every single thing in this league has done for me. I'm just gonna start by just saying I appreciate, uh my parents first and foremost my wife. Parents were to support throughout this whole entire process of being playing football from since I was seven years old to now, and it's just it's just been it's been a journey, and while I had something written down and all this other stuff, but it just kind of went out the window and you get up here and I'm not even emotional, so I'm like, I'm about to cry, but but I'd just like to, you know, just think, you know, my Arbumn University first War Eagle. I know we came up shruggers out down, but we'll come back to her about it. Just forgive me opportunity, a kid out of for ladder deal, just trying to figure out, you know, what I wanted to do with my life then, and to take up opportunity for me to give me opportunity obviously to meet my wife, who also went to Auburn as well.
Speaker 3: So that's been a huge thing.
Speaker 6: And U and I appreciate Auburn for that, and I appreciate Harps and Ozzy and Eric, you know, forgive me opportunity twenty eleven, give me opportunity to come here as a Raven. It wasn't easy at all, you know, as Harbor said, it just you know, gave me some.
Speaker 3: Gave me gave me a little a little welcome to the league moment for my rookie year.
Speaker 6: But it also propelled me to go every everywhere else and take that same knowledge and ability and take that to Detroit. And obviously I thank Detroit forgive me opportunity. I know, way in Baltimore I was sorry, but they can give me opportunities. I don't know if I'd have been here. Thank you for Arizona forgive me opportunity as well. I'm gonna say this very small thank you such and for just one time, just you know, because if they wouldn't get an opportunity, wouldn't have came back here in twenty one as well. So you know, just thank you for every single person get opportunity. And I just like to thank definitely my wife, like to for twelve years. I don't know how she did. And being home with the kids is fall and seeing how they run around and being able to coach my oldest son come here. Yeah I know you don't like the camera and they shot like me sometimes, but being able to you know, coach his team, my other my other son team as well, and just that part has been really good this fall. And I I appreciate every single thing this game has taught me and brought me, and I just I can't be more grateful, but also, like I said, the Ravens like this is a class one organization. They it's just it's just, it's just I appreciate every single thing this organization brings and teaches me.
Speaker 3: And and uh MNA, get this little one right here. Come you're mad, feel left out.
Speaker 6: And be able to welcome like you still see it family like family first organization, and that's what this organization about. And I appreciate every single thing this game is done for me and my family. And like I said, I don't really have too much to say, but I love this game love and I'm I'm glad. Twelve years has been. It's been a ride, ups and downs and all. And I appreciate everybody's morning. Okay, they taught me moments I can teach my boys to grow up and be one day. And and just like I said, this Ravens is what it epitomizes. Every single day, God's just gonna come out of nowhere. They gonna do what they need to do and be successful. Every single person that's come from the Ravens hath always been successful somewhere.
Speaker 3: Every it happens all the time.
Speaker 6: Why and it starts with the head man over there, and that's just where it starts at. It starts from an organization from top down, from every every single person, from Ozzy Eric, I mean, from the whole entire staff, and I appreciate every single thing they've done for me and my family and to be here and thank you for twelve years and I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Talk to John before about said you make a great coach.
Speaker 1: Do you anticipate coaching?
Speaker 3: Is that what you want to do in your next I'm not gonna see a lot to you.
Speaker 6: I feel like I've been doing some more of that even last season, helping out just like even when I wasn't playing with Rocann and PQ and just like trying to get the guys just to you know, ready for like games and stuff like that. Because I'm really I'm a selfless person. I feel like one of us win, we all win, and that's been That's just that's just my mindset. And I've also coached my son's eighth grade football team this year, helping with the defense and had them doing some things this year. So I feel like that has been something I've been wanting to do for a while. I know a lot of guys get to my age probably get a little scared of that, but I'm I'm fine with that. Played twelve years, but I'm looking forward to the opportunity to get into coaching and being able to hopefully pour their knowledge to other guys and hopefully they have successful careers as well.
Speaker 3: God you got here there. You know, what do you remember thinking about.
Speaker 4: Your roster dances and about how difficult it was going to be the stick when you look at ray Lewis being on the field.
Speaker 3: And just this team's tradition and at that position. Oh yeah, it was definitely. I knew it was. It was definitely gonna be hard to make the team.
Speaker 6: But I think I think I have to think guys like down All LB Jamille McLain, Album McClellan, Brianbadejo for those guys I wouldn't brandan Oh my lord, I must say, Brian Brandon, I Ambidejo, those guys for just like taking me under the wing and teaching me how to play the game, and they all undrafted linebackers and how to make it and how to you know, pretty much a vibe.
Speaker 3: And it was hard.
Speaker 6: It was rough, you know, rookie year coming into organization like this and where the expectation is at at its highest and you appreciate that because it makes again the best out of you every single time.
Speaker 3: And so that was tough.
Speaker 6: Obviously I didn't make the roster, obviously, but uh do but uh when I did get a chance to get a call back, I got a call Because this is crazy.
Speaker 3: I don't think I anybody told this story.
Speaker 6: So when I got I had just interviewed for a job down and for a lot of deal as an academic visor, and I still had on my suit and everything, and Izzy called me, literally just I walked in the door, called me and I was like hello, Hello. He's like, it's Izzy with Ravens. I was like, okay, it's like you want to come back to be.
Speaker 3: With the Ravens.
Speaker 6: I was like, like, I said you sure if I think I said first, and I was like yeah.
Speaker 3: He was like yeah. So I was like, well, I just got there with a job interview. It's like, you ain't gonta do the work out and nothing. Just come on, you bring you back now. Kids.
Speaker 6: You know, I started crying because and then you know, all the time, I was just twenty whatever was twenty one, twenty two at the time.
Speaker 3: Trying to figure out, Okay, what's my next face?
Speaker 6: Football is over at the time, and to go from that to you know, obviously playing twelve years is just is insane. And I gotta give thank you for Ozzie for that phone call.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you, Josh.
Speaker 4: You played twelve years, but so many people will remember you from making the final tackle in the Super Bowl and just reflect little on that moment. And at that point, could you have ever thought that you play another ten.
Speaker 1: Years after that?
Speaker 4: Just you knowing you were still trying to establish yourself.
Speaker 3: At that point, Yeah, I agree with that. And so that year started off.
Speaker 6: Most of you guys know, I broke my back in training camp that year and when the second day, I believe a pads or something like that, freak accident practice and and that year was just like I was uncertain. My wife I call her, she was crying because I was in the hospital. Didn't know what was going on and everything. And now I give you now, I was kind of like skeptical, like I don't I don't know if this might be my season, year, career might be over with this back issue, and I'm young, still trying to you know, establish myself.
Speaker 3: In this league. But I got to give guys like Jerry Rosberg.
Speaker 6: And coach harbl like I said, and just you know, giving me opportunity and knowing that, okay, he's gonna come back and contribute in some form of fashion for this team. And uh and obviously I ended up coming back and playing games and end up starting games. We got a lot of guys hurt and given opportunities. And I think just about those opportunities I've had, I've always you know, make success of them. It never matter whenever they came. I didn't I don't know when they was gonna come. But when those opportunities did come, I was like, I'm gonna be ready. And when my name is Carl was always ready to go. And knowing that I was able to handle it. And uh And obviously that year, what better way to seal from the start of the year to you know, uncertainty, to you know, win the Super Bowl and making the last Tacosa.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's crazy, what's up? So we.
Speaker 5: Jerry said, we could run all the time off, but we almost did. Ye taking the safe you see, you was gonna be kicked off after that. You know, what was your thoughts, what was said in the huddle? What was your thoughts minding up and going down on that place.
Speaker 6: We always just like, look, we're gonna make sure we keep this ball all in front of us. I think we all only know if we was all like sprinting all in that, because we just wanted to make sure like we gonna get him down no matter what. And I think if I'm not stick out, Remember I went inside a little bit, then I came back outside and he was just you know right there. I forout who missed the tackle was a Jimmy. It was somebody. It was Jimmy, my guy, al Rodnie All, Ronnie, my god, Jimmy Smith missed the tackle, right. Appreciate you just missing the tackle, you know, and then I know being right there to.
Speaker 3: See that, to make that tackle.
Speaker 6: So you know, it's just it's surreal, crazy moment and we need another one, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Anybody else, now, thank you all for having me. I appreciate y'all. Thank you se me.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast. The game on Sunday is at one o'clock. You can watch it on Fox and if you want tickets to this game. You can get those by visiting Baltimore Ravens dot com, slash tickets, or on seat geek. Thanks for listening. We'll see you again on Sunday for this game. Big game coming up against the Rams.