Speaker 1: Deja d s q charmey. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what that was, God bless you.
Speaker 3: That was a Spanish probably obliterated Spanish.
Speaker 1: Spanish speakers are like, no, it wasn't okay. I will explain in moments.
Speaker 2: So I just saw this from the Babylon be thought it was funny. China retaliates against tariffs by putting worse fortunes in the cookies. Boy, my kids and I get a kick out of the fortunes and being angry about the fact that's not a fortune. They usually aren't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a statement of facts. Yeah, hard work will lead to success.
Speaker 1: That's not a fortune. This is an advice cookie cause.
Speaker 4: You're getting in at Panda Express.
Speaker 2: That's part of it.
Speaker 1: Part of it.
Speaker 3: Cut rate fortune cookies, please, I haven't been fortunes for years. It's as if cookies can't foretell the future anymore. Hell So, the Spanish phrase I unleashed deja desq charmi or something like that means stop listening to me.
Speaker 1: And here is why I said that.
Speaker 3: I had the opportunity to be among Spanish speakers, fairly close to them as they are conversing in Spanish.
Speaker 2: What an interesting thing to say. I had the opportunity to be among Spanish.
Speaker 3: Speakers speakers, that's correct. Look you there are some gals speaking Spanish next to me.
Speaker 1: Would be another way to put that.
Speaker 3: Less fancy anyway, And I was curious what they were talking about because it was quite animated.
Speaker 2: They're probably talking about you. Did you hear did you hear el gordo?
Speaker 1: Over and over?
Speaker 3: I heard Caliente more than one? So yes, is a hot burrito?
Speaker 1: That one?
Speaker 3: And so I turned on Google Translate. You did what they're talking?
Speaker 1: Is that cool? Is that eavesdropping?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I was within earshot. They knew it, they could see me.
Speaker 3: There was absolutely no expectation of privacy other than I don't think the fat gringo speaks Spanish.
Speaker 1: Let's talk.
Speaker 2: If you're close enough to people that are speaking English and they're talking loudly, you're not doing anything wrong.
Speaker 1: But if judge you mcjudge lady.
Speaker 2: If it's in a different language and I turn on the translator, I feel like I've crossed some sort of line. But I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I see it as educational.
Speaker 5: And see I'm not a hypocrite because the amount of times I've thought about doing that while I'm getting my nails done.
Speaker 2: Oh unmatched, Wow, that'd be a good yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So it was funny because I thought, Okay, I gotta be real cool about this, you know, make sure I'm not what I'm doing here.
Speaker 1: But then I thought, well, wait a minute, they're they're right there talking.
Speaker 3: If they were speaking English, I would know every nuance of their.
Speaker 2: Conversation, and they don't know that you can't speak Spanish, right, Probably a decent guess, but yeah, I must expect.
Speaker 3: I wonder is there a thing where, in a situation like that, the Spanish speaker will throw something out then glance over to see if you show any recognition.
Speaker 1: I would do people do that.
Speaker 2: I would just say something like, I don't know what you would say, but.
Speaker 1: I'm about to lift up my shirt and show you my breasts.
Speaker 2: Reaction. Yeah, okay, we can keep talking, we can say whatever we want about this idiot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I don't seriously, does it seem untowar?
Speaker 2: I think it does, but I if intellectually I don't think it is. I'm untoward. It feels like you put up yes listening device in their luggage or something, or you follow them home, it feels it.
Speaker 5: But the point you made with their having the conversation right there, Yeah, no, who knows that you don't speak Espaniel?
Speaker 3: Right, that's so funny that all of us reacted in exactly the same way.
Speaker 1: Oh you did, well, wait a minute.
Speaker 2: Like you're hiding in the closet their bedroom or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so do they say anything good or well?
Speaker 3: See, that's the frustrating thing other than you know, like fragments of sentences, because you know, unless you're gonna put the phone right up to them, it's it doesn't pick up that well. So no, it was just you know, the sort of inane, not terribly interesting conversations most people.
Speaker 1: Have all the time.
Speaker 2: That's a funny idea satisfying I got to remember that.
Speaker 5: See I saw a video of a guy doing this, and I guess he had his phone on loud and when you use the Google Translate, I guess it reads it back to you what they were saying.
Speaker 4: So all of a sudden it started.
Speaker 2: It was busted, busted hearing somebody that's within earshot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, good point.
Speaker 3: There is no presumption of privacy because you speak a fer in tongue. The Supreme Court said that in Gringo Versus Non Gringo any eighteen fifty three.
Speaker 2: Anybody who's listening to this podcast who this applies to email us or textus, because I'd be interesting interested. I'm not interesting. I would be interested if if you speak Spanish or Russian or whatever your main language is, if you get used to the idea, if you kind of get like accustomed to the idea of we can kind of talk in secret here out loud, I'll about you do.
Speaker 1: I would, yes.
Speaker 3: And I've known various folks who are fluent in a fur and tongue who have come across those situations where the people assumed that he didn't understand them, And at least in a couple of occasions, folks have said, I pipe right up, and I said, you know, oh, I'm pretty fluent in Russian.
Speaker 1: For instance. So anyway, and everybody's eyes got big.
Speaker 5: My mom speaks, oh, I always screw this up. It's either Mandarin or Cantonese, one of the two. And she she used to just respond to them in their tongue, and they'd all.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, oh no, if she understands.
Speaker 3: Us, yeah, hm, you know, I you can't do that as an English speaker in most of the world. No No reminded of the gal on the train platform in Munich. I said, excuse me, do you speaking English? And she said, of course? Like boy, I don't know, take me for an idiot. Depends on where you were, though.
Speaker 2: I mean my story I've told many times of being stuck in Moscow trying to get on a train that I thought.
Speaker 1: Would be easy.
Speaker 2: I spent hours trying to find anyone that would speaking, could spend English, and could help me get on that train. And I just got lucky with one dude, or I'd still be there.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Wow, Well, and there are parts of the UNI at states you can't find a single English speaker, Southern California, for instance.
Speaker 2: So true dead Katie. Do you want to tell your gym story before we wrap her up today?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah, I went this was This was dumb.
Speaker 5: But yesterday I went to the gym and I was waiting for this nice young woman to get off of one of the leg machines.
Speaker 2: Do you do you stand there and do you ask?
Speaker 4: I don't, I don't know. See that's that's where this is going. So I saw her.
Speaker 5: She was sitting there and I was like, all right, I'll just I'll go to do something else and wait for her to again.
Speaker 2: That's what I usually do.
Speaker 5: I hit five machines, three sets of twelve on each machine.
Speaker 4: She did not budge.
Speaker 2: Was she looking at her phone? Was she actually exercising?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she did, like she did like one set of ten and then would scroll for like three minutes. And then the best part was she did two sets on this machine.
Speaker 4: Because I watched her sit down, that was it. Two sets of ten.
Speaker 5: At the end of it, she got up and she took a picture right next to the machine.
Speaker 4: And I told my mom about this. She's like, why didn't you just say something.
Speaker 5: I was like, I didn't have the energy to do that.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But the gym I go to, they've got signs everywhere it says no looking at your phone in the gym, and I think it's just for that reason. And it's tough, I mean, and cause you could think I'm gonna take a quick glance at my phone in between sets because you're resting in between sets. Well, we all know how that works. You take a quick look at your phone and oh, there's a text from so and so, and then they say something and you got to text. Next thing, you know, several minutes have gone by.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I done some.
Speaker 3: Presses to get your triceps going, then punched you in the head. That's the only way to settle that violence.
Speaker 2: That is the hardest thing in the gym right now. People sitting on the machines looking at their phone. You have that problem, Michael.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I also have the problem with people having conversations. There's a woman that she literally just talks as she's doing her exercise, just like I'm talking now, And so I told him, baba as so everybody can listen.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't work it not hard enough. She can talk that.
Speaker 6: Easy, right, Yeah, that's but she does.
Speaker 2: Come on. My gym has got the This happened yesterday. They got a fan in the corner and they have it cranked up so freaking loud to try to cool it off in there. I can't hear.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I can't hear what I'm listening to on my little headphones, and I always want to turn down. But it's got a big sign next to it says don't touch the fan.
Speaker 1: Jet engine.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a jet engine in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like your gym has a lot of signs.
Speaker 2: It does. It has got the most signs in a very very very progressive area of America and a specifically progressive area of the city in America, even for that town, and yes, many many signs. Did they require a mask, No, thank god, I bet they did for a long time. Though. I'll bet that gym required a mask for three full years. I'd be surprised they didn't.
Speaker 1: Occupatae detus propios asuntos mind your own business in Spanish. There you go, Now you're ready to go, Lloyd Bueno.
Speaker 6: Well, I guess that's it.