Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes Dale Jones February fourteenth and fifteenth, Then catch Lucas and Selnik February twenty first and twenty second, and don't miss club favorite Ian Bag February twenty seventh through March first. Comedy Up Broadway opened and downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best in stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five, nine, two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Up Broadway dot com.
Speaker 2: Bay Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: Welcome everyone, Kentucky Sports Radio, Tuesday, March the fourth. I'm Matt Jones here live in Lexington, Kentucky on an absolutely gorgeous day. Temperature is going to be up. I think a lot of this week, and it is started today, last home game of the year, and we are at the Chas Bar and grayl And I'm just gonna go ahead and tell you this is the last last home game. So if you don't come out for either lunch today or the show uh later, I think there's a very good chance you'll end up deported to Canada.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean, I'm not trying to like threaten people.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, like, I think it would be a good idea because I feel like you're gonna send us.
Speaker 5: To our fifty first date.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well it's not only important though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the people people getting the whole Canada thing has become like they booed the national anthem at the at Toronto.
Speaker 4: Pat McAfee got all upset. Everybody. You told me they booed Reed Shephard.
Speaker 6: And they can he's not Canadian. But yeah, they continue to boo Reach Shepherd at Reparina, which is shocking.
Speaker 4: That's amazing to me.
Speaker 6: When they just they show all the NBA guys kind up before the game, they're still booing read he still gets some booh wow.
Speaker 3: Clark's pumping shot fuld line eight five nine two twenty two eighty seven A vision Auto glass text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four in this dish sponsored by the t J Smith lowas called TJ will make them pay. We're here until noon, so come on out have lunch with us. The pregame show starts at four thirty right here, and then the game is at seven. It is senior night, it is Kentucky and LSU. It is a must win game. I think for Kentucky I to get a bye. I think if you win this, you probably have still a pretty good shot of getting a three or four seed in the NCAA Tournament, maybe avoiding a trip out to Seattle.
Speaker 4: Ryan a lot on the line tonight.
Speaker 3: Against an LSU team that isn't good, but it's had one or two games where they look good.
Speaker 4: Hopefully it's not tonight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they've only won was it three or four sec game?
Speaker 7: It seems like they've been in a lot of game till going down to the final minutes.
Speaker 3: Didn't they beat Did they beat Florida? They beat somebody good?
Speaker 4: Didn't they?
Speaker 6: They beat Arkansas because Damien Collins blocked him at the buzzer. They beat Oklahoma, and then they beat South Carolina.
Speaker 4: Okay, well never mind. So they are three horse teams. Yeah, well, I mean in theory, they could have beaten somebody good.
Speaker 6: They played Florida, Okay, well they didn't win, but it was it was.
Speaker 5: Several games they've played pretty close.
Speaker 2: They played ale Miss to two points.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's what I was thinking. Of is the old miss game.
Speaker 3: Well Am nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, Ryan Lemon and I we were we you and I were talking about White Lotus. People got mad when I talked about it a few weeks ago. They said that it was a spoiler alert. So we won't do that. Well, maybe I've considered going back to my TikTok to do my white Lotus theaters idea, but then I don't know how to do it, and you have to edit it, and you have to put in a floating head and Marios in Louisville today, So I can't do that.
Speaker 4: But what I can do? What are you lapping at? You're right?
Speaker 7: The floating head thing is becoming like the thing to do, like they do floating heads. You know are you're not on TikTok, No, but I see it on Instagram. They do it on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Oh here's the floating heads coming out in your world. Wait till it gets on Facebook. Shit, and then he'll really know about it.
Speaker 4: That's right, Yeah, that's right, once it gets there.
Speaker 3: Yesterday, So first of all, we're gonna make this and ask anything Tuesday, Okay, Since Wednesday, we're gonna be talking about the game. Ask anything Tuesday seven seven two seven seven four five two four on the text machine, or you can write whatever your question about UK sports. This is a good time to get the what really happened or about us If you want to ask that, that's fine. Yesterday the text machine blow up with two things. Probably seven hundred people wrote me and said do you see what Reed is doing against Oklahoma City? They were probably not the people that booed. And secondly, people talking about fairies. And those were the two things that I got the most of, including one man I wish I could find it said, I went home, told my wife about what you were talking about so we could laugh at it. And then she told me that after I go to sleep.
Speaker 4: She refilled.
Speaker 3: And I said, well, I'm sorry you had to find that out, Drew. Unfortunately, he said, thanks a lot, Matt, now that I know that.
Speaker 6: So you can learn more about your marriage just by tuning into KSR from ten to twelve. Find out about things about your significant others.
Speaker 3: There are things you don't know about your wife. Here's how you find it out. I tell you about your wives.
Speaker 5: Well, yesterday you meet that.
Speaker 4: Show, I tell you about your wives.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, yesterday you mentioned the Kentucky author who writes these books. Was it Kristin Lee or and then she tweets us she was. That's how I found out, is she tweeted this. I thought she tweeted after the show.
Speaker 4: No, No, she she tweeted me.
Speaker 7: Before that that that's kind of cool though, that it's that popular. She immediately the the one author you mentioned.
Speaker 3: Reason I knew about it. She tweeted during the show, and I thought it was interesting, so I said.
Speaker 7: It, and so she heard the topics. Somebody them must have maybe tagged her in it or something, and she she tweeted first, like she that's what started the whole conversation.
Speaker 4: Yes, she sent me a message, yes, saying that she doesn't understand she was the one that sent it.
Speaker 3: She was listening, heard us talking about this, and then said, I do books like this, but for athletes.
Speaker 6: I thought it gave it away when you told us that the author tweeted you and then you reather tweets.
Speaker 4: That's a good hint, That's what I was saying.
Speaker 7: And she heard us talking about it, so she tweeted you once, you finally said during this during the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, yeah, I thought that was cool.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 3: Well, all right, so let's talk a little bit about getting ready for tonight. Mark Pope had his Goodbye Senior press conference. Let's go over some notes. First of all, Kerkrisa was not mentioned. Will not be going through senior day Saramony. Do you think that means something?
Speaker 4: I would hope it does.
Speaker 7: I'm hope it means that, you know, they're gonna maybe try to get a medical red shirt and keeping here.
Speaker 5: But of course there's nothing to say he can go and play someplace else or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. I think it means something. I don't know if it means staying here. I think it means he probably plans on playing another year of college basketball.
Speaker 4: Do you agree with that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Pope said, I took the guys out and who've exhausted their eligibility, leaving creases out of that group. So I think he'll be playing college basketball next year. I don't know that I expected in Lexington, but that's why he's not going through it today, and didn't have dinner with.
Speaker 3: Them, So he's gonna have uh, they're gonna have Butler.
Speaker 4: What is it? Butler? Olmanor Carr Williams is that the group Robinson.
Speaker 6: It would have been with Kerr would have have been the most ever with seven but six times a te.
Speaker 3: Six guys and you know, six guys who all have really in their year here contributed to the program. I think we went from not having a senior night or only having it with walk ons, to this will be like a real senior night, saying goodbye basically to the vasman majority of the team.
Speaker 5: You're right, the only guys that stayed here four years during the calary A lot of time we're just walking.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's only a handful. I mean, can you name the seniors that played all four years.
Speaker 4: For John cal Perry, Alex Poyters. There's one, Derrick Willis.
Speaker 5: There's two, Dominique Hawkins, there's three.
Speaker 4: Can you name the other?
Speaker 5: There's another one, John Hood john Hood?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, anybody else you can think of?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Four years, four years.
Speaker 5: It was a scholarship players scholarship.
Speaker 4: Alex Poyter's he mentioned him, Jared Poulsen count Well, he went back.
Speaker 3: He started as a walk on and ended up. So I'm not gonna I won't. I won't put him on there.
Speaker 5: Hmmm. No, I think I'm maybe.
Speaker 4: Are those the only four? That those may be the only four.
Speaker 3: I don't have the answer in my head, but that they might be, which is pretty amazing. There would only be four, uh in fifteen years teen years, but I I think that might be. And three of them are from Kentucky. So really it's just Alex Poyters.
Speaker 6: That was you know, yeah, we only there's one senior Day. It's like two years ago he had six. It was topping Oscar Wheeler Frederick. That was a big group. But other than that, we haven't really had that.
Speaker 3: Once the portal opened, we started getting a lot of those guys. But so let's go through some of these folks here. First of all, I always like to do this on Senior Day, kind of like what's your what's your memory of Let's start with Jackson Robinson, who Pope said burst into tears after the game against Oklahoma once he realized he couldn't play. That kind of made my heart flutter a little bit, they he said. Robinson knew as soon as he got to the bench that was it. He tried to hold it together during the game and then cried after it was over.
Speaker 4: What did you think of.
Speaker 7: That breaks my heart to hear that. Did she tells how much these guys really care. They're here one year, but they really care about this program and their teammates in the locker room. I hate to hear that. I mean, my biggest memory of him maybe the Gonzaga game. Yea played great Inack played great, have to move to point guard and played out stay after you know, Butler was out, Creasey gets hurt during the game, they moved Jackson over.
Speaker 5: One of his best games of the year.
Speaker 3: I mean that that to me will be his kind of legacy game. It canucky was that one, you know, I think I think he got like eighty five percent of where we wanted to go.
Speaker 4: Obviously if he wanted to play the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Didn't quite become a star star, but I still think consistently was our best score if when it happened when when he was going.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when he would get hot, you know, he'd pull up for him anywhere he'd go and runs, especially earlier the season. I know the competition wasn't the same in the non conference, but it felt like he had some games where he was just absolutely on fire and we were so excited to get a full year of him and unfortunately get robbed of vet Lamont.
Speaker 3: Butler obviously when he looked back to his whole career went to a Final four. But I think huge key to what happens for the rest of the time. Yeah, I mean ye team is a different team when he's not the one bringing the ball up.
Speaker 5: There's no doubt.
Speaker 7: And we saw the difference with the when he was out with makes when late game situations we needed him. That Texas game comes to mind. My best memory of him is gonna be the Louisville game, though right he was perfect.
Speaker 4: He has that Louisville game forever.
Speaker 3: He joins the list of guys who went off against Louisville over.
Speaker 6: The years ten for ten and six for six from and there's like one point shot of the record for points.
Speaker 4: In the Louisville game. That's pretty much You're not gonna find a better game than that.
Speaker 3: Kobe Brea, I think we if you're thinking about one game, you think of the Florida game. I just think of a guy that when he's open and going, I'm not sure how many guys have felt more money than him when he's open and and going, like you just go, well, that's a layup.
Speaker 7: He has forced defenses to concentrate on him so much it's kind of helped everybody else because they're doing everything they can to prevent him from getting a look. Jay Bill is still causing the best shooter in college basketball right now. He did the other night, So Andrew.
Speaker 3: Carr, I think you go back to like what like the Duke game and as his big one, and and you know he's had.
Speaker 4: To deal with back stuff all year.
Speaker 3: But I think I think his big he's gonna have some big moments still to come because I think he's he's starting to get like we saw in that Duke game.
Speaker 4: In those early games in the year.
Speaker 6: Gonzaga too, I think he scored the bucket and regulation to help get its overtime, both the biggest wins of the season. He was a key part in the second half comeback. I mean, just same with Robinson. I wonder if he had a year of him healthy, what you could have seen.
Speaker 3: Out of car Yeah, I totally agree with that. Ansley Almanor standing in the corner hitting threes?
Speaker 4: Is that? Is that what you're Ansley Almanole.
Speaker 6: I don't know a player that's appreciated being in Kentucky more than Ansley almanor including guys that are from here and grew up with posters on their walls. That guy, any moment you look at him, he's smiling. When he gets to do interviews, all he wants to talk about is how much he loves being at Kentucky. I'll remember him just for his appreciation and that you did you thought he was gonna be the eleventh Man?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean is I'm always associating with Mario because I was sitting next to Mario at that day Pro Day and I was like, that dude's not playing here and he was like, yes he is.
Speaker 4: I was like, no, he's not. I said he's not, and then he's done it. And I have a theory on that.
Speaker 6: I think he was sandbagging on pro Day to show them that how much better he'd get throughout the year.
Speaker 3: I'll say this about appreciation. You know, one of the things I think the cow guys all appreciated being here more than our fans sort of realized the vast majority of not all of them, but most of them. But there certainly was sense amongst our fan base that these one and done guys are just here, they just leave. A lot of it was Cal would just say it. I mean Cal would say all the time, like they're here for the NBA, they're here for me. And it's sometimes made Kentucky fans feel like unappreciated. Annsley really this whole group, but Annsley Olmanor in particular sort of reaffirmed to people, Hey, the name on the front matters, and it matters more than you realize. And having a group of guys, and I think this is true of all six of these seniors who really felt like they had reached a goal. Just being here, I think really made the fans feel better. It wasn't a step to another goal. It was a very important goal in and of itself.
Speaker 7: I think as fans, we're only here for one short season. It drew us closer to these guys because of that, because we could tell his love of wanting to put on that uniform.
Speaker 5: We now appreciate except those guys I think even more.
Speaker 3: And then finally a Marii Williams. I'm not sure very many players have gotten better in the year the then Mario Willims. I think at the end of the year he could be frustrating, dribble too much, don't put his hands up on offense and rebounding. And in the last ten games he's been he's been awesome. I mean, he's been absolutely awesome. Difference between he's on the floor when he's not is exponentially different. He's a very unique player. I mean, you can see why Pope liked him. Those passes, his ability to run the offense from the top of the key.
Speaker 4: Really have enjoyed him.
Speaker 3: In the last ten games, I mean, he's gone from a player that, if I'm being honest, was maybe the most frustrating player to me early to get him back in we need to come back.
Speaker 6: When we got to interview all the players last June, I immediately knew and Mario Willims was my favorite. I didn't expect him to be as good as he is. I thought he might be the fourth or fifth best player. They played a lot of good defense.
Speaker 4: But I've been.
Speaker 6: Rooting that guy since, for that guy, since the moment he got on campus. And to see what he turned into with the fourth triple double in history and all these other crazy stats, with his per forty minute stats and things like that, it's been amazing to watch. I think he's not done yet. I think big things coming for him too.
Speaker 7: I hate to think what this team would be without Amario Williams. I mean, he's been the MVP of the SEC season so far, and he's, like Drew said, I think he's still got some big games to come and in in March.
Speaker 3: And Mark Pope and Oway seemed to suggest he's gonna look at the draft but still would come back, and it sounded like would come back here. I mean, I think if he comes back, it will be here. I think he'll end up back here because I'm not sure the draft will give him a response that would get him in the first round. Probably can make more money here next year than he can make in the pros. But I do want to say, with these six guys, you know, there might still be a special March run to come.
Speaker 4: But I do really appreciate all of these guys. This was a team.
Speaker 3: Thrown together, and you know, they've brought a different kind of special excitement back to the Kentucky teams. And we haven't had dudes like this. We might have had one on the team every year, but to have a whole roster, I just a really app for this group. I think fans will look back fondly at them kind of no matter what happens, don't you.
Speaker 7: I think there's no doubt that's We said this early on that this may be Mark Post's most important recruiting class. He has it during his entire career here for getting the program back to where the fans were excited again about watching the team develop.
Speaker 3: He also said that he talked about who was coming back, and then he said we have He said we have three freshmen four now, and he emphasized four now, which makes us think he probably still thinks he can get Nate Ament. And then he said, we're going to go get a couple of superstar transfers. He didn't just say players, he said superstar. That's good because we're gonna need him. But I thought that was an important comment.
Speaker 6: The word superstar really jumped out to me because I agree. I mean, as much as I like some of the guys he's gonna have back, he's gonna have to recruit over a lot of them to build what he needs. We've seen this year what he's missing. I think O Way is his number one must retain. But other than that, I think any of the guys could get recruited over stars is.
Speaker 4: A big comment. So that was interesting.
Speaker 3: If I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, take a break, it's Ask Anything Tuesday here at ks Bars, Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Working back at this Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: If I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, text machine seven seven two seven to seven four five two five four ask anything uh Tuesday? One person right, Jordan writes Matt. It's Jordan from North Carolina. What's the rarest piece of sports memorabilia that each of you own? I don't think I've ever said this on here. I own a pair of shoes that one of the UK players was wearing when they beat Louisville in the Final four.
Speaker 4: In twenty twelve. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say which one because I don't think they wanted me to publicize that. They they sold them to me. But uh, but after they finished here, I bought, uh they would they would. They didn't want to get part with the National Championship shoes. But I have the beat Louisville in the Final four shoes. So that's you got.
Speaker 5: Some kind of rare shoes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but not like I mean other people that this is something nobody else has this particular thing.
Speaker 4: What about you?
Speaker 5: Uh? You know.
Speaker 7: I've got part of the floor that the old Phantom Hickory High School Milond High School in Indiana. I got it framed with their team picture. I got a piece of the old Island High School real it's the real floor from the old Milan High School they took the movie Hoosiers from.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's very cool. You drew.
Speaker 6: You got something I'm trying to get, like a unique piece. I mean I have a squirt can Son by Katina Powell that's pretty unique. Mostly yeah, it's upstairs. Got it during the very.
Speaker 2: Those out there.
Speaker 6: I have a lot of good autographs, big names, got a couple of Jordan's like Joe Dimajo, Babe Ruth, but nothing like a piece that not many people have something of.
Speaker 3: One person writes Matt, don't be talking about Benedict Shephard. Me and my family are not Reed fans until you apologize. I mean, I am amazed how much that stuck. To be honest with you, I really am. I mean I thought it would be like a little thing, but it really I think if we had.
Speaker 4: Won, I think people would have gotten. But the fact we lost, I think makes it to where it just it just stuck.
Speaker 7: And I honestly think if he had worn a Kentucky shirt and Arkansas shorts, it wouldn't be near a big deal.
Speaker 3: The problem was it was reversed. I agree with you. I think if it had been the other way, people wouldn't have liked it. But at least because they were able to put out the picture shed and it's at Arkansas on top.
Speaker 2: That's right, yeah, you know, And it's just like one, you know, small little change that could have made a big difference.
Speaker 4: Don't know why it different can make a big difference.
Speaker 3: I mean, people will get over it, but it's lingered longer than I thought it would.
Speaker 4: To be honest with your who's up first, Mike, Mike, what you got?
Speaker 8: You all kind of tested on what I want to talk about earlier? About the roster next year. I think this year I kind of thought maybe they had an elite eight running them the way the roster was constructed. But the guys they're losing. None of those guys coming backer in my as kid as the guys we're losing. So and I you say, somebody's looking for a couple of superstars. I sure hope so, because I actually thought he might have some tenth seasons to have to send some people white Garrison start.
Speaker 4: He might.
Speaker 3: I think that's genuinely possible. I appreciate the call. I mean, first of all, O way coming back is big. Yes, if you get our way back, you're getting what was our most consistent scorebacks. That would be big, you know. I do think though, and I think Jasper Johnson is the level of freshman that's gonna come in and be really good. Okay, the other two guys I think will contribute. I don't know that they're starters right off the bat.
Speaker 4: Do you think No.
Speaker 6: I think he's gotta go out and get just about everything. But oh way, I think you gotta. I mean, I like Brandon Garrison, but I don't think you can go in next year with just Marino and Garrison. I think if you can find a good center that kind of matches what Amari does a little bit, you gotta have that. You gotta have a point, Guarden. I mean, the freshman will be decent, but you can't just go in thinking that they're gonna be it. You gotta go out and get some guys that you know, And I don't.
Speaker 3: Think he has to go get a whole roster, but I think he's gotta go get four or five guys and they all have to play like that. Like I mean, in some ways, it's gonna be the same thing he did this year, except he's gonna have an AH way and he's gonna have built some depth, hopefully through these freshmen coming through.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I think he wants to build the roster the way Danny Hurley does at Yukon, which one or two superstars freshmen coming through the program, go get me three or four transfers. I think that's what he wants to do. But that's a two or three year process.
Speaker 4: Probably.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's looking at He's probably got to think in his mind, I gotta go get four starters. I don't know if Garrison's gonna be one of those comedy thinks that he's gotta think that point thinking away.
Speaker 3: Is the only guy on the team that I'm certain could start the same year. Now, maybe some of the other guys work their way into starting, but he's the only one I think is certain can start.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's gonna be his mindset.
Speaker 7: I gotta go in this portal and dead, you know, get my roster ready with four dish starters, look for each position, and go get that guy that will help us most.
Speaker 4: You think we get a foreigner.
Speaker 3: More?
Speaker 4: That sounded a lot more sort.
Speaker 3: Of maga than I wanted to do. You think we get a foreigner my fault? Do you think we get a European or a player from another international player?
Speaker 4: Be better than saying a foreigner.
Speaker 6: I mean there's been some mentions of guys, like there's two different Italian big men whose names have been thrown out. With the way Pope plays in the European game, it wouldn't surprise me if he had added someone.
Speaker 4: See, I think European big men would be exactly what he perfect.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like they like that is for his offense, like British, like that's you, that's European. I mean, they're not in the EU anymore, but it's still so maybe we maybe we just constantly occur yeah curs from Estonia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so maybe he's a quoting he recruits the whole globe. Yeah, global traveler.
Speaker 3: But I think we might go get a guy who's there, maybe even because you know, now you can get dudes that play Pro Bowl. That's right, right, Like that whole in his cancer situation wouldn't happen now now you're allowed to just get a guy like that.
Speaker 7: I think that he'll put a lot of emphasis on that, getting a good five that'll play his style of basketball for his offense, and they'll do. I'm sure they're already scouting guys right now trying to figure out who that guy's gonna be.
Speaker 3: One person rights, Matt, I hope r UP is extra allowed for these guys. I haven't watched this much UK basketball since the Fox Monks season. It's been really fun. I think there's a lot of that out there. I think there are a group of fans that have watched more of this team than they've watched of a team probably since COVID. I think this team has, even though they haven't been like through the roof grat they have kind of reignited this fan base. And if you think about it, Beaten Duke, beaten Tennessee twice, beating Gonzaga, beating Florida Louisville. The only real down is if we had beaten Arkansas. But if you had beaten Arkansas. You probably would say he checked off every regular season box that I.
Speaker 4: Think a lot of us would have hoped he would have done. So.
Speaker 3: If I'm nine two eight h twenty two eighty seven, Ask Anything Tuesday, We'll take a break, be right back KOSR.
Speaker 9: TJ.
Speaker 4: Smith personal injury attorney called TJ. He'll make them.
Speaker 2: Pay now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 1: Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: Welcome back Tucky Sports Radio. Here at Kosbar. Pregame show starts at four point thirty tonight. If you come in the game, I'd say, get here and enjoy it. Text machine on Ask Anything Wednesday or Tuesday, one person writes, Matt, I just told my wife you were on Bill Maher with Katie Kirk and Kelly and Conway, and she didn't believe me. Then I dug up the picture. What was that like?
Speaker 4: Behind the scenes? Surreal? The entire experience was absolutely ridiculous. I couldn't.
Speaker 3: It was the season premiere of Bill Maher. The guest list was Katie Kurk, Kelly and Conway and me, and of course no one there knew who I was. It was because of COVID. It was during COVID, so like there was no one in the studio, like everyone was working from home. So like you got there and there was maybe three people there when we met. They had me and Bill maher are exing me, Me and Katie Kirk and Kelly and Conway like all in dressing rooms next to each other. We all like hung out in the same dressing room. Katie and Kelly knew each other, so they were talking. I kind of felt left out, but then they brought me into the conversation. I was like, hey, everybuddy, well, you know, you know, it was like it was like two weeks after January sixth, so that was gonna be the topic. I just was thinking, please, don't say anything stupid. Then Katie Kirk called my mom yep, because I said, my mom really likes you, and she does, and she said, well, let's call her.
Speaker 4: So we just called my mom.
Speaker 3: Kelly and Conway was you know, said that I looked like one of her old boyfriends, which I thought was kind of strange. But they were both very nice to me, and the the whole thing was weird. I've said this before that I don't know that I'll ever have a more surreal moment in my life than sitting backstage. Bill Maher is about to get to his monologue. It's just me and Katie Kirk next to each other, just sitting there, and all of a sudden that HBO thing comes on and it was likestatic yeah, and I went, I can't I can't believe I'm about to do this. I'm about to go on stage with Katie Kirk on HBO. This is the craziest thing in the world.
Speaker 7: My two big takeaways from that was one the Katie Kurk called your mom, and two Bill Mark kept trying to disagree with you and trip you up, and you held your ground against him.
Speaker 5: I thought that was good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like, no, don't you think you could overpower me? Bill Martin.
Speaker 3: When it was over, though, he said, you did great, we'll have you on again real soon. And then I still haven't been on it, but nevertheless it was he may made me feel good going on. But the COVID protocols were so strong back then. You had to get COVID tested twice the day before the taping and the day of the tape.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: So it was a whole It was a whole, big shabag put us up in a really nice hotel though.
Speaker 4: That was good.
Speaker 7: Well, we were all proud of you that night. That was kind of cool to gather around and watch you up there on that big stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it taped like two or three hours for it aired, So those two or three hours are really nerve wracking.
Speaker 4: Like I was just going on, what's this going to be?
Speaker 5: Like, you know, but you and Kate Katie now get together and go bowling or anything?
Speaker 4: Bowling?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, like what friends do you guys?
Speaker 4: Kind of?
Speaker 3: I don't know that she considers me great friends. She gave that I have her number, but like we've never like what we're going to.
Speaker 6: Talk about, Like, Hey, Katie, what's up next time we need to break a tie in a food bracket or something?
Speaker 4: You should call it? Now, that's a good idea, I did.
Speaker 3: I think I did text her and ask her to be in the NFL Celebrity League and she didn't respond, So I know, so that's the way it goes. Who's up next, Adam, Adam? Go ahead, Adam.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 10: I hate it for Jackson Robinson not being able to finish out the year, but also just hate it for the fan base, for me, it's it's like all the what if injuries in Kentucky basketball history. I'm thirty nine, so you know, my biggest ones are obviously Derek Anderson, Keith Bogan's Rodney death, Alex Boyterous. What are your all kind of biggest what if injuries?
Speaker 3: I think the biggest what f injury in my lifetime. I appreciate the call is Keith Bogans because I think if Keith Bogans doesn't get hurt in two thousand and three, I.
Speaker 4: Think we win that national championship. Probably. I think we were the best team that year.
Speaker 3: You know, not having Willy in twenty fourteen, might have heard him in the championship game. But to be honest, they kind of found their rhythm even after Willie got hurt. So you know, I don't know that that would have made a huge difference obviously the Poythrus, but we should have beaten him anyway, like you know, we should have beaten Wisconsin regardless. But so I always think of the Bogans when and Derek Anderson again, they made it to the championship game, right, So I don't know that that cost him.
Speaker 4: The Bogans one in my opinion.
Speaker 7: We beat Marquette with Keith Bogue, and Bogans was hurt, but Tubby was so loyal to him, he went ahead and tried to play him as much as possible. And he was just having a hard time keeping up with Dwayne Wade. But Tubby was loved him so much he wanted to give him that chance to win the game.
Speaker 3: And he deserved that. You didserve serve the chance he had been He was awesome that year. Yeah, so that's the one for me.
Speaker 7: You have one, Well, Derek Anderson, there's all that conspiracy theory and you know, mystery behind that because he allegedly, you know, practiced that day and had a full practice and was perfectly fine. Everybody says, even he has said, I could have played and I Patino didn't play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one doesn't bother me as much because he was legitimately hurt.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and I think you know what about you?
Speaker 6: The Poythers one sticks out. Nobody could guard Sam Decker, I mean, and everybody thinks of Devin Booker now wanted to play more in that game. But Booker couldn't guard anybody in that game. And I think I think the outcome is different if Porthous is in to play defense.
Speaker 3: With all that said, I think the most devastating injury in UK history is Neurlin's noel. Yeah, because I mean Neurlin's noel. We went from a team that was maybe a Sweet sixteen team to missing the tournament, losing to Robert Morris. I mean that was Nerlin's Noel's injury probably affected the team as much as any in history.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's no doubt because that team would have definitely been a team that could have done some damage in my arch.
Speaker 5: You know, if you go way back, even back. Jason Parker, big stud.
Speaker 7: Wow, that's a good Blue He's knee out in the locker room before coming out for the Blue White game.
Speaker 5: Oh it was their midnight madness?
Speaker 4: Is that right? Yes? Now he was good too. Remember the game he had at North Carolina. He was awesome. He was awesome?
Speaker 11: Was that?
Speaker 4: People? For That's a dude? You forget? Who's next? Richard? Richard?
Speaker 12: Go ahead, Richard, Yes, with what we got coming back, who do you think will start it to point for us next year?
Speaker 8: Matt someone not.
Speaker 4: On the team, someone not currently on the team.
Speaker 12: Her comes back, he won't start at the point no.
Speaker 3: Not if you want to win a national championship. I like Kerr, like I like Travis Perry. Maybe Travis Perry can start as a junior or senior on a team that can win the national championship. But if you want to be a contender next year, the point guard is not on the team right now in my opinion.
Speaker 8: Okay, that's all I wonder.
Speaker 4: I appreciate.
Speaker 6: I agree with that pletely agree. Gotta go out and get a good one. If that means Cursey's the riding on the wall. Sorry, I wish we would have had him this year, but he's gotta go out and get a good point guard that can defend, for one, because with freshmen and Kerr, there's no defense. But also I think gotta be a leader and maybe one of the superstars you mentioned last night.
Speaker 3: I think you got you know, if if Away comes back, you've got a two guard that can play. If Chandler keeps improving in Perry, that gives you some good depth with guards.
Speaker 4: I think Trent Noah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's a starter, but I think he can still He could get to a point where he plays a lot of minutes next year.
Speaker 4: But I think you.
Speaker 3: I think there's a really good chance you gotta go get I think Jasper Johnson starts, so I think you gotta go get three starters next year. You gotta get three starters and a bench player in my opinion, in the port.
Speaker 7: And they looked at the transfer portal last year and they pinpointed Lamont Butler and went all out after him. That was the one guy. They'll probably do the same thing. They'll see who's available, find the guy they already know. They probably do already know.
Speaker 3: My guess is they already know. You know, I keep being told there's a kid from Kentucky that'll end up on the roster next what. I was watching the game last night, the Atlantic Sun Tournament has already started. I'm sure all of you had it on, and uh Queen's North Carolina was playing Florida Gulf Coast and one of the two.
Speaker 4: Teams I heard the announcers say had a guard from Eddieville. Cost is that Riddick?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: He played with Uh.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah from Eddyville Kentucky was like yeah, and he was. He was one of their better players. I'm not as a freshman. Yeah, he's not the guy. I'm saying he's gonna get then I know who they who everyone thinks they're gonna go get.
Speaker 4: It's not him. But it was just interesting to hear that there was a good another kid.
Speaker 3: I mean, how about Eddieville having two guys, uh, you know, playing Division one back.
Speaker 6: If he didn't grow up share in a back court with Travis Perry, I think his name would be a lot more known around here.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they were a very good team last season. He was a big part of it.
Speaker 4: Dolly Parton's husband died.
Speaker 3: He'd been married. I think his name was Carl. They had been married. How about this.
Speaker 4: For sixty years. Wow, here's what I'm always fascinated with.
Speaker 3: For Dolly Parton to be what she has been, like an icon like for many years, like a sex symbol, like someone everybody likes.
Speaker 4: No one knew anything about her husband, Nope, Like somehow he ended up completely.
Speaker 3: Anonymous and she liked it like that.
Speaker 4: That's pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: And it for sixty years to have someone as famous as her and you have no idea who her husband is, isn't that weird?
Speaker 6: It isn't something about his name being Carl. I just picture a guy that's sitting on his porch waiting for Dolly to come home from her concert, just a very low key as he was. I don't even know what he looked like. But it's just such a weird dynamic that must have been with her being one of the most famous people that exists and Carl's just hanging out at home.
Speaker 4: Wait, do you have in your mind what Carl looks like.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say he's about you don't know. No, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't either.
Speaker 3: I have and I'm a huge Dolly Parton fan, and I have no idea what he looks like.
Speaker 4: None.
Speaker 3: I just find that fascinating that you could have someone that famous.
Speaker 4: Married for sixty years and also that dude. That dude had to be a pretty confident dude. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: To sit there and have your wife be Dolly Parton doing Dolly Parton things and be like, she's coming home to Carl, That's just what's happening.
Speaker 4: When all is said and done.
Speaker 3: She may think Johnny Carson's hot, but she's coming home to Carl.
Speaker 7: Carl definitely has to have the right personality. You're right to be that kind of guy and be that confident.
Speaker 3: Yet you think you could have been married for sixty years anonymously to Dolly Parton.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're too jealous. What about you? Mine wouldn't have been jealousy.
Speaker 6: I'd want to be a part of it all, Like i'd want to be by yeah, because she's doing so much fun stuff.
Speaker 4: I'd be right by her side the whole way.
Speaker 3: I don't get jealous. I wouldn't be jealous. I'd be like you, though, I'd be like, I want to go to some stuff, like why do you take me here? Like you went to the Oscars? Why do I have to sit at home? I'm carl, I still got needs. I gotta go out and farm o farm out here. I can't go on the last And I feel.
Speaker 4: Like you could maybe do it. You're the one person I could see kind of be in the background for dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm with you, guys, though, I would want to be on the red carpet, and you know, like we're doing all the cool things that she gets to do, like living vicariously through her life.
Speaker 4: Seems fine.
Speaker 5: Maybe that's why they worked.
Speaker 4: I'm sure that's why they were.
Speaker 3: You can't have You couldn't have a personality like Dolly's.
Speaker 4: With the male personality like that, they'd kill each other.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he'd always want to be in the spotlight.
Speaker 4: What are Carl could do it?
Speaker 5: Carl's okay, sitting on the front porch, whidling stick.
Speaker 4: You think that's what he does. Sits there and he whittles. You think that's his job.
Speaker 5: He does, maybe turn a little butter.
Speaker 4: You think he's turning. Butter could be You think they make. You think they have they have to make.
Speaker 5: Their home, maybe make some chairs while he's back there.
Speaker 4: In the so you think it's like you think Dolly's husband lives in Barrie.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't be shocked, all right.
Speaker 4: There can only be one.
Speaker 3: Since October of rest in piece to Carl October of twenty ten. Plays for quality smoke meats in Central Kentucky is Red State Barbecue ribs, chicken, pork, brisket, sausage, smoked and flash fried chicken wings. If you want barbecue, Red State's the best. In Lexington, they got egg barbecue, egg rolls, Nacho's beer, cheese, baked beans. It's all there. Quality smoke beat. Since twenty ten, it's Red State Barbecue, your trusted name in the barbecue business. They started literally the same month that we started.
Speaker 4: This radio show.
Speaker 5: What's it really?
Speaker 3: October twenty ten, and that's when they started as well. We'll take a break and be right back.
Speaker 4: This is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Working back. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Some breaking news here. Shannon Running Non a basketball player. Clara Strack name SEC defensive player of the year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Nice, Well she blocked the school record for blocks and uh probably it led the SEC and blocks.
Speaker 5: I'm sure, so good for her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's she was great, She's been great.
Speaker 3: The last couple of games, Kentucky's sort of position be a four seed in the SEC tournament. Their game, by the way, will be two thirty on Friday. We will air it here.
Speaker 4: The UK women two thirty on Friday in the SEC tournament. So that's exciting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they got the top four season, they get it. They get a double by also go bye.
Speaker 4: Yes, so they get a double. Buy are you have?
Speaker 3: The new men's bracketology just came out hot off the presses off the Kentucky.
Speaker 4: They're a three seed. Okay, playing in Denver. I don't hate that. It's a bit of a drive. We enjoyed Denver Shannon loves craft.
Speaker 3: Shannon Shannon gets caught in this hotel room with smoke everywhere.
Speaker 4: What's the other way.
Speaker 6: I refuse to believe that they don't do this for attention. They have Kentucky opening up with Utah Valley Mark Pope's formersol where he never won a tournament game that people like to mention. From there, you could play either Indiana or Saint Mary's.
Speaker 4: Okay, Auburn's the one. I'm alright with that. I would totally take that. Draw. Two would be Iowa State. Love it, give me that draw, sign me up for that draw. And where's the regional Atlanta? Atlanta? I mean like South.
Speaker 3: Honestly, you couldn't ask for a better draw for Kentucky than that. Play in Denver, play Utah Valley State, then either Saint Mary's or Indiana. You should be able to beat those teams. If you don't, well, then you didn't need to move on. Then go to Atlanta. We'd have a million people play in Iowa State. And if we did play Auburn in the Elite eight, that would be they could sell out the Georgia Dome for that game if we did that, so I would totally take that as a draw.
Speaker 5: I would absolutely take that draw.
Speaker 6: Who was who's the four? Who could we try to root to beat all? Purdue and Clemson are up.
Speaker 3: There maybet scenario that one dude that looks like me could go score about forty.
Speaker 4: That guy versus Broom not really a great but you never know. That dude has a way.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is about that dude, but that dude has away. He did it against Duke, he did it against us. There's something about that dude. That's a dude. If he's in the portal, I wouldn't mind having that dude.
Speaker 4: He's the street. He's a weird guy. I actually love this draw, even with Auburn being there.
Speaker 5: Whatever.
Speaker 4: If you get that far, that's yeah.
Speaker 5: That that dude killed us.
Speaker 7: And he looks like he can't jump, he's not athletic, can't run, and yet he had like what twenty rebounds against That's the.
Speaker 3: Thing about him. It's not like he's just a three point shooter. He gets rebounds and he's not even that tall, Like I.
Speaker 4: Don't understand how he does it. He's amazing.
Speaker 6: Tennessee's the one in Lexington in this bracket. So we'd have to put up with valls fans in our city. But that's all right, then come here and out.
Speaker 4: I'll yell at him. Who's next, Randy? Randy? Go ahead, Randy?
Speaker 9: Hey, guys, how's it going doing good?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 3: By the way, if we did that, Shannon, that would mean another trip across Kansas for you, so.
Speaker 4: You should excited around it. I don't think we can go ahead, Randy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: For me, the last six years been extremely taxing to watch UK basketball. So Mark Pope, I wasn't sold on him at first. Actually I got sold on him at his press conference. Introductory press conference was just two days.
Speaker 4: After he was hired.
Speaker 3: I mean, you say you weren't. So it was just two days. It was forty eight hours.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well I wasn't sure, but when he started talking, I was sold. I said, he's the gay. Yeah, but they have brought joy, brought the joy back to Kentucky basketball. For me, it has not been been enjoyable the last six years, and the joy even in the losses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally agree with that. I appreciate the call. I mean, the joy has been there's no doubt that that's been a big part of Pope's success. And now you know, you get a year like this, Now, next year is gonna be a little different.
Speaker 4: There's gonna be a lot more pressure on him. There's gonna be a lot it's gonna be different.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna be joyous unless you do have some success.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the crowds at Upperena are indicative of that. What the collor we're talking about. I think the crowds here for the pregame show are indicative of that. The fans are excited about the program again, we know they got the program back.
Speaker 3: Well, even just little things like I'll give you an example of watch parties. The last few years, when we would do a road weeknight game watch party, there'd be twenty people here, Like people just wouldn't come out to watch the team. Now we had a nine o'clock Oklahoma game and we had a lot of people here. Last year there would have been three people here for a nine o'clock Oklahoma go Just the way people are excited to watch the team. It's just dramatically different from the last few years. There's next, Tyler, Tyler, go ahead, Tyler.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I've got one comment, one question. A comment is I hate to add Robinson out but I still believe with what we've got left Pope and this team to go together around. And my question is, I noticed that the women were black. Why do the men never work black? Because I think for.
Speaker 4: We worn black a few times.
Speaker 11: I don't remember it, but the.
Speaker 3: Women have done you know, the men have done it. I appreciate the call. I mean, the women with Forren pink right like the the men get a lot. It's a lot more scrutiny, Drew, I think when they try to do something different with the uniform. So I think the men men's teams that they're probably more hesitant to make big changes.
Speaker 4: But we've worn black before. It feels like we always lost.
Speaker 6: When we did it, but we have done it had n't been that long. I remember in Oscar wearing black. I don't remember the exact game or which of his teams, maybe the one with Casey Wallace for some reason, I have a memory of him wearing the black uniform. So it's only been a couple years since they've tried it. I think you're right though about the alternate jerseys. That doesn't seem to go well when they wear those.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a large section of our fan base that does not want them to wear anything but blue and white.
Speaker 4: For the guys, that is it. I don't like that.
Speaker 3: Take it like once twice a year do something crazy like wacky.
Speaker 4: Come on.
Speaker 6: I like they went back to the throwbacks last year. They had the ninety threes. They were wore those once this year, but I wish they'd work in more of that. They so many good old uniforms.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: What I mean, listen, this is not like. This is not you know, science class, this is not opera. It's supposed to be fun. Let's go out.
Speaker 4: Let's have some crazy jets on the georg So I thought we were gonna have those. Yeah, I thought we were gonna do the jeans, the denim.
Speaker 7: They got to wait next year on the anniversary of the championship team probably well.
Speaker 3: Either way, I'm I'm for it. I was at the when the women seem more pink. I'm not saying the guys teams should wear pink, but it was cool.
Speaker 4: It was just different. There's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 3: We will take a break come back our number two eight five, nine eighty sevens KSR