Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our.
Speaker 2: Two on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Ns Dan Patrick Show, and you can dial us up eight seven to seven three d P. Show spent a lot of time talking about the lottery victor Ie by Yama, who is expected to be a generational talent. You got Lakers and the Nuggets. That's game one coming up tonight. Started out as Lakers getting five and a half. It's now up to six according to Draft Kings Pole question for hour two is going to be what seat no Connor? Well?
Speaker 3: Dan the Joker ran away with the poll question from our one who will be him in Nuggets Lakers? Anthony Davis only had nine percent of the vote, and then other, which was the Jamal Murray Yeah six point seven, Okay, that's it. Other okay, Uh, Joker had sixty five percent of the vote.
Speaker 2: Though danger pretty good.
Speaker 3: Do you want to do one off the Aaron Judge thing we've been talking about?
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of specific, and I want to be fair to the situation because I may have misspoke last hour where I said, did did the announcer say Aaron Judge looked over to the dugout in a previous at bat or earlier in that at bat, and Aaron Judge hit a monstrous home run and it sounded do we have the home run? Marvin?
Speaker 4: What just a part of play the day?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Okay, do you want the Blue Jays call of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: He can do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Buck.
Speaker 5: So you and I looked at each other at the same moment, right when we saw this three pitches ago at.
Speaker 4: What is that? Where's he looking?
Speaker 5: Where's he looking?
Speaker 2: And he did it more than once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really really unusual. Then you and I both looked at each other way saw that.
Speaker 5: Like did you see what I saw? And you don't want to go, you know, throwing allegations around without knowing, but no.
Speaker 4: And he pumbled it.
Speaker 5: He hit it a country mile for his second home run of the night.
Speaker 2: The timing of it, so they're speculating, don't want to throw out any accusations saying anything, yes, and then all this sudden and he pummeled it. Annie pumbled it. But Aaron Judge afterwards said that the bench was chirping and it was bothering his concentration, and Aaron Boone had just been tossed out and he looked over almost I guess, with disgust at his teammates, like, guys, I'm trying to concentrate here. I don't know if he did it in previous advance, if he only did it at that at bat, you're aaron judge. If it's bothering you and you've looked over a couple of times, at what point does somebody in the dugout and go, hey, guys, let's stop. Stop. But he said he had a talk with his teammates after the game, so it wouldn't happen again. Just the coincidence of he's looking over looking what's and it's a side eye? Oh yeah, I would think if now you can't step out of the box now and you got you know, the pitch clock. But I mean, can you just go guy like guys or quiet or stop something? But it just is it just a coincidence that he's looking over side eye. It's not like he's even looking over. It's side eye. I would think if you look over, you're going like, guys, stop, side eye looks like you're trying to sneak something like what message are you sending? Hey, I'm giving you a side eye? What's that? Mean, and you're chirping and then all of a sudden, a couple of pitches later, you hit an absolute bomb. Yes, Mark, but I.
Speaker 6: Don't think he had time to do the you know, full head tilt, just a side eye, like what are they doing? He hits the home run like two seconds after he side eyes him. That's impressive to me, the fact that I can side eye and look right at the picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 7: The great thing is that they play again tonight, so it's not the last game of the series. You gotta have a storyline that goes to tonight as well. So all the press in the press box got winded this. So when they went down after the game and they asked both managers about it, the Blue Jays manager discussed He said, yeah, I saw it. It was kind of odd that the hitter would be looking in that direction. He's obviously looking in that direction for a reason, and we'll dive into that a little bit more tonight tomorrow to make sure we're not susceptible to anything. So he addressed it. He did not accuse him, but he said, hey, we're gonna we're gonna take a peek at this. They're probably gonna go back and watch film and see if it happened.
Speaker 2: Well, did anybody else do it? Did he do it in any other advent?
Speaker 7: I'm reading the stories in the Toronto newspaper and there's nothing about other players doing it.
Speaker 8: But they got this late.
Speaker 2: Well, if the picture's tipping his pitches, then, but it was a blowout. It was like six to nothing at the time. Of course it was yeah, when you tip your pitch in your set, Yeah, but did anybody else look over to the dugout?
Speaker 3: I mean, that to me is the most obvious thing in the world. If nobody else on the team was doing it, then there's nothing to I mean, I think it's funny that the manager sitting in the dugout noticed him looking over the opposite direction. How in the world could he have possibly noticed that from.
Speaker 4: Where they are.
Speaker 3: It's impossible for the Toronto manager to be sitting in the dugout and be like, hey, did he just look over at the Yankee dugout. That's a little weird. You could never see that from their vantage point.
Speaker 2: Don't you have monitors in the dugout?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, how much are you allowed to be watching TV? Screens while you're in the dugout.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know the setup that.
Speaker 3: I would guess that isn't that Part of what the estros got in trouble for was having screens of the broadcast set up.
Speaker 2: Now they had garbage cans, Yeah.
Speaker 3: They had that, But remember they had the video of them running into the and looking at the TV screen to I mean, I don't know, I don't know that you're allowed to watch the broadcast?
Speaker 8: Yes, is stealing signs even possible?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 7: Does every pitcher and ketcher use the PitchCom system where it's on their body and it's signaled or is that a choice?
Speaker 2: But that doesn't matter. You can tip your pitches, tip.
Speaker 8: Your pitches from like your location and your arm and things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't have anything to do with.
Speaker 8: Oh I thought it was about tipping. I thought this was about a sign stealing.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know how you could do that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's about the game.
Speaker 2: Tipping your pitches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's like how you hold the ball, Like every time you throw a curveball when the glove is in your when the ball is in the glove in your hand, you turn it a certain way. And that means that you know, Okay, now we know a curveball's coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This, this to me wasn't stealing a sign as much as it was. We're picking up on tendencies and you're saying something to Aaron Judge if that was the case. But if nobody else was doing it, then there's nothing here. If he did it in a previous hit bat, why would you just give Aaron Judge this information? Questions answers, we don't have them. Uh, let's see, so we got new pole question we're gonna go with. Do you want to do Aaron Judge?
Speaker 3: But I don't know, probably not. Maybe you want to just dive into the draft lottery? Sure, landing spots for for Victor?
Speaker 2: Are we doing what's best for the league for Victor wm Bayama with the have lottery coming up tonight.
Speaker 3: And do what's best for his development as a player.
Speaker 2: Of course, his marketing, his brand. Okay, if you said, where's the best are you going to have? How many can you put there? How many cities can you have? Five?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think if we do it on Dan Patrick dot com there's more options available.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we could blow it out, all right, Pistons, Rockets, Spurs. They have the best odds at fourteen percent, Hornets, Blazers, Magic Pacers, Wizards, Jazz, and I think the Dallas Mavericks are after that three percent. So what do you do? Which cities do we want to put in there? Do we put in? You know, the top three you have the best odds? I think Dallas would be the best place because I get him, I get him there with Luca, that'd be a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, as long as he doesn't want to ever shoot the ball.
Speaker 2: Well he could, he could, He can learn how to do other things while Lucas shot the ball. Yeah, that's the take of victory. He needs the ball in his hands.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, do you put Portland in there? Man? I love Portland with dang.
Speaker 3: Although a lot of people are talking about how you know, big men are sort of cursed there, that's true, Yeah, something worth thinking about. But Dang, I just feel like Dean deserves that.
Speaker 7: Oh so you're saying is if Portland got the pick tonight, Victory would get a bone spur immediately, like just immediately after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, what about the thunder?
Speaker 10: It further discourages tanking because they have a one point seven percent chance, and not too long ago they had some of the greatest players in their team and it didn't work out, and they all went in their separate ways, and now all of a sudden they get a new stud to try to bring the thunder back to some type of prominence or interest.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tod. What about the Chicago Bulls? Did they have similar odds when they got Derreck Rose. They're at one point eight percent, Oklahoma City at one point seven percent.
Speaker 3: How about we'll throw it up there, the most fun place for him to fun? You're you're kind of naming fun place places that you find fun fun. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that'll be fun fun. Yeah, let's have some fun.
Speaker 2: Was that applause there, Marvin?
Speaker 4: I was clapping for fun?
Speaker 2: Huh okay uh so eight seven to seven three DP show email addres Sdpadanpatrick dot Com Twitter handle the TP show Stars, Beat the Cracking or beat Cracking to one advanced to Thank you Marvin face Vegas there. I watched a lot of that game last night. And by the way, you can stream this show on Peacock. Streaming on Peacock. That was in the news yesterday. Peacock is going to get an NFL Playoff game. The NFL taking another big step into the world of streaming, putting one of its playoff games on Peacock. This is the first time that's ever happened. Now, it's going to be January thirteenth. It's an eight fifteen, eight thirty start, and so you've got primetime. It's the only place that you can see it. It's a one year deal and terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but the Wall Street Journal says it's one game for one hundred and ten million dollars, so you get, well, you have pregame and posts, so you get maybe seven six seven hours for one hundred and ten million dollars.
Speaker 8: This is pretty radical.
Speaker 2: I think I need to renegotiate with Peacock here. So the eleven year contract that the NFL has with NBC that began this season, Peacock also gets an exclusive regular season game. Peacock is going to get the January twenty third Buffalo Bills Los Angeles Chargers game. That'll be in primetime. You're going to have Bengals Steelers precede that on NBC, and then the game after that will be on Peacock. That'll be Buffalo facing the Chargers. All right, download the app. You can watch this program for free.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paul, Yeah, this is the first ever exclusive live stream NFL playoff game. That's where you know, we say the future is now. It's where everything's head at a la carte, buying what you want, not getting what you don't.
Speaker 2: I guess NBC Sports Championship season. It's the Preakness Stakes that'll be coming up at four point thirty Eastern on NBC and Peacock Andrew and Washington leads us off this hour. We'll check in on the Lakers as they get ready to take on the Nuggets coming up tonight.
Speaker 11: Hey, Andrew, stay, Good morning, Dan and Dan. Thanks for all the Pacific Northwest love, which your Seattle Cracken sweatshirt and seatons. Plea for Portland to get Yama, that would be great. I do think that if when Byama comes to Portland, Dame will stay. But if they don't get a good draft pick, I think they'll be a push for him to go to a more suitor, like a winning franchise. So I thought yesterday, also, I was listening to the podcast. The title of the third hour podcast, did Nick Wrong? Dirty is that Losers legacies Nick Wright. So I don't know who's in charge of that one, but anyways, I did have a little thing. I'm going to stick with the trend the Lakers in six they split the regular season series between them and the Nuggets. They each won their home games, but no games after the trade deadline, when the Lakers really became the Lakers. So I do have a trivia.
Speaker 9: Question for the room.
Speaker 2: If you don't if you can, all right.
Speaker 11: All right, Lebron James now has won forty one playoff series, which is an NBA record. Which player did he pass for that record?
Speaker 2: Okay, so forty one playoff series?
Speaker 11: Yes, the Lebron James now owns that record. Which player did he pass to get the record?
Speaker 2: All right? Well, it wouldn't be somebody who played in the sixties or seventies because they wouldn't have played his many playoff seriess Lebron.
Speaker 8: Yes, manage nobly.
Speaker 11: No right era?
Speaker 2: All right? Marvin Derek Fisher bo, Yeah, thank you, thank you, Andrew, thank you, good job there.
Speaker 1: Mark.
Speaker 4: I don't have a life back to you.
Speaker 2: You do know your NBA and you know the history. You know you know some of the older players I like that.
Speaker 4: I like that Andrew gave him the blue.
Speaker 2: Uh Alex in Salt Lake City, Alex Hi Hi Hi.
Speaker 12: Five eight one six, longtime listener. I just wanted to call in and wish you, my boyfriend Carlton, and my dead dad a happy birthday, love the T shirts, and just thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you. It's very sweet of you. I don't know if we all share a birthday, but that's nice that she reached out to give me. And it's not going to be a week long birthday celebration. No no, no, no no, no tour season. Although I walked in and seatings eating carrot cake, my birthday carrot cake from yesterday, and I go, all right, I like that. I respect that starting the day right away with your veggies.
Speaker 8: For as eyesight, beta karting, you're fine.
Speaker 3: Thank you to had a bunch of my normal breakfast options fell through unfortunately, and I was like, hey, you know what, I went for a run this morning.
Speaker 8: Austome carrot cake.
Speaker 2: There's some times when you go to the refrigerator and certain foods look really good, and then certain times they don't look good, and you're going like, all right, I can have that, you know, one in the morning, I could have the chrerizo burrito from earlier today.
Speaker 3: And you know, if truth be told, if that chocolate cake that's really what I wanted, but the one that was on top of the carrot cake, and I was like, Wow, that feels a little bit more respectful, healthy, play, a little more selfish.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have the chocolate cake for lunch. You're having definitely you're having the carrot cake for breaf. Yes, thank you, Todd. All right, we'll check in with the Lakers. Coming up next. More phone calls as well. We're back after this Dan Patrick show. Panini America the official trading cards of this program. We invite you to check out their brand new NFT platform at NFT dot Paniniamerica dot net. One of a kind digital cards available in packs or Panini's public auctions on the site. You got the hottest Rookies', biggest superstars, the old time greats. These are the official products, the official products of the NFL, NBA, UFC, FIFA World Cup, and collegiate sports and you can share your cards in the public gallery that they have challenges for you to complete to earn exclusivele Word cards and make sure you check out the newly released NFL PRISM. You can get La Liga packs. They have all the favorite Panini brands now available as NFTs, Panini NFT platform, unique one of a kind VIP experiences, Panini NFT trading cards giving you the opportunity to pull autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts, even one of one NFTs from every pack. Visit NFT dot Paniniamerica dot net the official trading cards and NFTs of The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Lakers in Denver tonight over under for Lebron is twenty five and a half according to DraftKings, twenty seven and a half for the Joker, and twenty four and a half for Jamal Murray, which we tend to look at Lebron and Joker when you need to obviously look at Ad but also Jamal Murray. As far as team's success in this series. Dan wiki good to have him back on Lakers beat reporter for the La Times covers the NBA. If I told you three months ago, Dan, this is what we would be talking about, you would have said what.
Speaker 1: I would have said, Daniel, A crazy person, Yeah, that this is you have maybe had some sort of head injury or something like that, that this would not have been. It's funny. I ran into Thomas Bryant yesterday Denver practice, and you know, he requested a trade from the Lakers around the trade deadline. Ended up in Denver, and you know, he asked me how I was doing, and I said, I'm still surprised that I'm here, and he, you know, the two of us kind of had a big laugh about that, because, you know, the storyline for the Lakers from most of the season wasn't like can this team become a contender? It was like can this team get into the Plane Tournament?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like I spent a lot of time this year running sort of tiebreakers for twelfth place at most of the plays. And you know, it happened pretty quickly where you know, the team just started winning three or four games all the time, you know, and just kind of all right, they're not twelfth anymore. Now they're tenth, And now they're not tenth anymore, and now they're they could maybe be fifth, and you know, they ended up in seventh place, but they were playing really good basketball, and they've been healthy, and they you know, they've been the best defense in the NBA since the trade deadline. They've been the best defense, you know, in the league in the playoffs. At this point, I probably should stop being surprised. I don't know that I fully have embraced that part of it. Yet I still think that, you know, it's kind of wild that my season professionally is still going. I wasn't. I thought i'd be in Chicago for the draft combined to see where Lee Minyam ended up. I didn't think i'd be in Denver, But I'm in Denver.
Speaker 2: Why is it Lebron the GM failed, but then Rob Polenka, the GM saved the season. So Lebron doesn't get any credit. He gets blamed, but he didn't get any credit for what happened at the trade deadline. Is is that a fair fair approach to this story?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think so. I mean, I think there was a fair amount of sort of hand washing of the GM duties post Westbrook that like, that was a trade that nobody really wanted credit for pretty quickly, and so a lot of people kind of step back from the table, and I think, you know, Lebron's role as a decision maker, and this wasn't you know, go get me D'Angel Russell. It was more like, let's fix this. I want to fix this. And you know, it wasn't totally clear what the Lakers were going to do. They ended up, you know, the first shot was kind of trading for Ruy Hashimura and it was like, okay, well, maybe they're going to be aggressive, and you know, we got down to it and then they got they take part in this big, massive trade with Russell Westbrook where they bring in what at the time was three starters for them, Luke Beasley since moved to the bench, and they completely revamped their roster and you know, they totally changed their season. I think Dan, I think they were six games under five hundred on the day of the trade deadline, and you know, they lost that Milwaukee they only had like seven players, and then they beat the Warriors in Golden State the following day. And it has been kind of off of the races since then.
Speaker 2: Mike Brown did a wonderful job in Sacramento. But I thought, Yep, Darvin Ham quietly did a spectacular job with this roster. And he's always struck me as a guy who's not asking for credit. He's not a notice me guy, flamboyant in any way. He's just you're gonna come in. You're gonna play the way I want you to play, and that means you play defense and you play tough. Why hasn't Darvin Ham maybe gotten his flowers? As the kids like to say, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The kids do like to say that. Dan, I can tell you I'm very much in touch with the with the lingo out there. I think a couple things I think, you know. He was actually pretty routinely criticized at times throughout the season among Laker fans for things like lack of adjustments and games. I think John Moran had a twenty six point quarter or something like that against the Lake and they could never really turn the faucet off. But I think a lot of what Darvin's done incredibly well has been more spiritual. It's been more He's a consistent, positive person. Consistency is the thing I remember when I spoke to Mike Budenholzer when he got hired. That was the thing that that he stressed to me most was that, pardon me, when Darwinham got hired with the Lakers, well, as Bud said, like, you see this guy and you're like, there's no way he can be this way every day, and then you're with him for six years and you're like, oh my god, he's this way every day. And you know, he's tough, but he's caring. He's someone you like, wouldn't want to challenge, but at the same time, he's someone who will you know, will give you a big hug and embrace you when you need to be embraced. And he kind of walks that line. And it's funny.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 1: There was a running joke early in the season because Darbin ha said something like, you know, this isn't about w's and els, it's about wisdoms and lessons, And the joke among Laker fans and some of the writers was like, it looks like we're headed to like a fifty lesson season, maybe thirty two wisdoms and and you know, but it's funny. As he said it the other day, and it didn't. It didn't hit the same way. It was like, oh, yeah, you know, like this is a team that's been through a ton, and they play like a team that has been through a ton.
Speaker 2: Well, he's leading the league in wisdom.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, they've worked their way into more wisdom than less It looked like for sure it was gonna be way more lessons and no, and they've they've built i think, a really strong identity and they've taken on toughest in defense, which are certainly the traits that he used to become a success in the NBA. In a lot of ways, that's the biggest mark of a successful coaches, like does your team look like you?
Speaker 2: Dan Wiki is covering the Lakers in Denver for the LA Times, also covers the NBA. How good is Denver?
Speaker 1: They've been the best team in the West since early December. And you know, I think a lot of us in the media, and I was probably guilty of this at times, to have been kind of trying to invent ways for them to not be the best team in the West, where it seemed like, oh, who's gonna knock them off? Is Memphis more dangerous? Is it going to be Phoenix, Like, certainly it's going to be Phoenix. After the trade deadline, it always seemed like there was sort of an invention of a team that like that. There wasn't a lot of faith in Denver quite frankly, because they've they've been this kind of team before. They've been this kind of team before, by the way, even in previous iterations. You know where they're just like they win at altitude in the regular season, it's a horrible place to play, and you know they're that's probably good for five or six wins, and then come playoff time that that tends to level up. They've been the most consistent team in this league since December, minus a late season low. They've got a star, like a star star Capitol letters in Nicola Jokic, Jamal Murray has worked his way back into pre acl form, and they have size on the wings, and they have an incredible offense in day but pretty good defense. Like it makes really good sense Dan that they are in this position. That being said, like I still think there are people out there that are like kind of like, okay, well, like now let's see, let's test them now, Like beating Phoenix wasn't enough of a mark on their season wasn't enough to kind of validate this group. But to me, I look at Denver and I see it. I see a team certainly capable of winning the championship.
Speaker 2: Lakers will win. If I think.
Speaker 1: If Anthony Davis is better than Nicola Jokic on both ends of the floor, I think that's the biggest thing. Is Like, obviously we know how Nicola can impact the him offensively, Canady have sort of jokic ish games defensively where you just kind of watch it. And I what I mean by that is there was a game early this year, Dan where Nicolio could shot five times against the Lakers and he was by far the best player on the court, and you just felt it watching it. It was crazy to see him sort of marrying at his way through a basketball game eighties, done that on defense at in this series. Yet I really did it in the first round, got stretched a little bit more against the Warriors, but I think kind of, you know, when it came time to close him out, was you know, just to get a master on that side of the ball. If he can do that against the Denver team that that quite frankly doesn't shoot a ton of threes that wants to kind of challenge inside. If he can be that kind of an impact player, I think the Lakers can win the series.
Speaker 2: What should we know about Victor Wanbayama? Is he a generational talent?
Speaker 1: You should know that when you sit down to watch him, you will wonder how this is all possible. I saw him in Las Vegas this preseason when when he kind of came over with his French team to play the G League. I Knight and I remember watching him just kind of moving warm ups and you're just like you want to like almost adjust that your eyes, like the TV screen to be like the no, the ratios are off here, like this is not normal to see somebody who is this big, Like when I saw him stand next to Rudy Gobert, and I mean, he is bigger than Rudy go Bear. But then you watch him dribble and shoot and it's like like he looks like Kevin Durant and you wonder how anybody is ever going to stop him. He is skinny. He is very skinny, but you you know, and uh, the track record of players with that body type in the NBA as has generally come with injuries but talent wise, size wise, whoever wins that lottery tonight is going to have the next ten years of their franchise and maybe even more changed if he can stay healthy like he it's conceivable he is one of the best players in the league very fast.
Speaker 2: Where's the best place for him? If you're if you're Adam Silver, where's the commissioner want Victor won bay Yama to go?
Speaker 1: I mean, not bias stand I'm from Chicago. I think it's always great if there are great players in Chicago, and that would be fun.
Speaker 2: Certainly they got you know, they have that chance.
Speaker 1: They won the Derrick Rose Draft. Yeah, with that chance, I think Portland is a really interesting one, and I think Toronto is a really interesting one. But oh and Charlotte, by the way, it would be fun to watch him in the metal ball play as well. But but you know, Portland, I think, you know, if you add him like they that could give that sort of late kind of chapter Damian Lillard push that he hasn't really had, and it would provide a bridge for them as they moved. It's a great basketball city ideally, Look, Adam Silver would say, like they'd probably start all their home games at four thirty, so people in New York could watch them, you know what I mean, there would be maybe some element of that, But but I think like that that's a place certainly.
Speaker 2: I think I think Portland would take that that They'll start the games at four thirty, and yeah.
Speaker 1: They would make that great. They would make they would make that. Yeah, and luckily Portland has never had any bad.
Speaker 2: Lub's never happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah now, but yeah, I mean and look, and I'd also love to watch Greg Popovich Cochian too. I think that would also be fast.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you again, Dan.
Speaker 1: Thanks Dan a Christian, Happy belated birthday.
Speaker 2: Thank you bu enjoy that carecake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a vegetable, so it does.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, it is a vegetable plain ice tonight.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: That's Dan Wiki. It covers the LA Time for the Lakers, for the LA Times, very fun, had a good sense humor. There a couple of phone calls in here, Matthew and San Antonio. Him Matthew, Hi.
Speaker 13: Dan, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 9: Sure.
Speaker 13: So, I've been in San Antonio about eighteen years and last year I've never seen the town say apathetic. And it was a fiftieth the year in San Antonio for this team they've had to ye, they've won it twice with David Robinson and Tim Duncan. He would change the format. You know, the town really wants to get around this player. And when they've already panted Mr Ols of Wimby here in San Antonio, so hopefully to get him, so I you know, putting it out there, you know, to get good karma for San Antonio to get another generational player. I think it would be great.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't think people would be happy if San Antonio got another great big man. You know, they got David Robinson then lucked into Tim Duncan, and then if you would get Wim Bayama. And you know I've said this before, Greg Popovich first Battle Hall of Fame coach, great coach, but he doesn't get anywhere near the criticism that Bill Belichick gets. And when Belichick has an average year, a losing season, people are quick to criticize pop hasn't had a good season in a while.
Speaker 7: There, Yeah, PAULI, careful, now we're not going to get Popovich to call into the show.
Speaker 2: Pauli goes, Hey, Todd, why don't you reach out to the Spurs s if we can get Greg Popovich, and Fritzy's response was.
Speaker 10: If we get him, we'll be one for eighty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I said, all right, well, you know, take a shot.
Speaker 8: Are we all for a Papa? I think we're going back to the last place I think we had him on.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we did. I all I know is when I the Spurs won the Western Conference Finals years ago, when I was covering them, and I tried to get Popovich to take credit and he didn't even want to be on camera. This is after at the ceremony and he's like, no, it's all about the players. And then I remember seeing him out in South Beach during a NBA Playoffs finals something and he couldn't have been nicer and chattier. And I'm like, what's going on here? And I'm with John Barry and he goes, no, Pop's a great guy. He just not going to be a great guy publicly, and I go, okay, fine, yep, yeah, mar So.
Speaker 6: This might be true about Bill Belichick. Find him out in South Beach, go hang out with him. I'm sure he's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Like everyone says, well, you know they say that about Roger Goodell. You would love him. You know, I'll buy Pop some nice wine, and you know, maybe we do the interview at dinner. That would be fun. I mean, if I can sit down and become friends with Patrick Ewing, I think that we could probably have We could break bread with Greg Popovich. I get Pop and I get Belichick together, and we'll bring in pat Riley as well. Because I went to Dan Levitard's wedding and I swear this is true. I'm standing at the bar. Well that you know is true. I'm standing at the bar. I'm with my wife, and I saw pat Riley and his wife and I go, this, this isn't gonna go well. She goes, why, I go, I don't know. I don't think he likes media. And I had a run in with him when he was coaching the Knicks, and so I sort of turned earned to my wife and Ryle's comes up. He goes, Dan, how are you? And I was like, I had my hand on my beer. He put his hand out and he had his championship ring on or one of them, and then I shook his hand, introduced me to his wife. I introduced him to my wife. We'd started chatting, and you know, it lasted about you know, seven minutes, and then he leaves because he has to go to an event he wanted to show up for Dan Lebttard. My wife goes, he was very nice. I go and then I look like the jerk because I'm going on, this isn't gonna go well. And now she did you think that she thinks that I'm the problem with pat Riley, not pat Riley Me. Yeah, pum.
Speaker 7: Is it possible other people don't spend decades thinking about incidents from the past.
Speaker 8: I'm just throwing that out there.
Speaker 2: Okay. My wife brought this up, that there's a condition, yes, that people have that they can't let go of the smallest things like something. It bothers to me this to this day. I missed a layup against Carlisle that I would have scored thirty, so I scored twenty eight and I had a layup and I missed the lamp. Still bothers me to this day. My wife goes, why, I go, I don't know why. But there's a condition. Yeh See.
Speaker 3: Is it possible that your wife assumed it was your fault?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Because she knows you, yes, and knows like she didn't. She coin the you know, not everybody gets your sense of humor?
Speaker 2: Yes, at least at least once a week. My wife will say not everybody gets your sense of humor because when I go, yeah, I said this, and you know, they got mad or they said this, they didn't left, And then she'd be not everybody gets your sense.
Speaker 3: Of humor if they didn't think that was funny. Yeah, I know I'm horrendously insulting.
Speaker 7: Yes, Matt Lower, do you women clo oh, but that was funny?
Speaker 2: Line?
Speaker 8: Had you met Matt Lower before?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: Okay, See that's the hook. Matt Lower is a pretty well known guy. You're a pretty well known guy. You got to have some light pleasantries then question his fashion.
Speaker 2: You know, I wanted to break the ice. I wanted to let him know that you're, you know, big deal on Today's show and I'm kind of a big deal on Sports Center and our world's collided on a putting green as he gets out of a limo and had these crazy looking shorts on. We were playing in a charity golf event, and we were with a bunch of people on the putting green and all of a sudden, Matt Lower comes down from his limo and I go, do they sell men's clothes? Where you got those shorts? And everybody was laughing, but Matt soft yeah. It is like, come on, Matt, who's laughing now?
Speaker 9: Me?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Probably you yeah, thank you, Todd. How about we take a break? All right? Everybody ready to take a break? All right? Pray. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 14: Hey, I'm Doug Gottlieb. The podcast is called All Ball. We usually talk all basketball all the time, but it's more about the stories about what made these people love their sport and all the interesting interactions along the way. We talked to coaches, we talked to players, We tell you stories. You download it, you listen to it.
Speaker 4: I think you'll like it.
Speaker 14: Listen to All Ball with Doug Gottlieb on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Just got a birthday gift from the Cincinnati Reds Daylight but these are the new uniforms, and if you're watching on Peacock, they are gorgeous. They are really really sharp new uniforms for the Cincinnati Renz. But thank you for sending me my personalized jersey there. Love it all right, Mike and Ohio, Hey Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 11: Dan?
Speaker 2: Happy belated Thank you Mike.
Speaker 9: So, yesterday was the forty second anniversary of Lenny Barker's perfect game for the Cleveland India. Okay, I got a little trivia question for you. What player has been on the losing end of three perfect What player participated in three perfect games and was on the losing end all.
Speaker 2: Of all three?
Speaker 9: Yes? Okay, going one player in major league history that's been on the losing end.
Speaker 2: What decade are we talking about? Is this the eighties?
Speaker 9: I would yeah, in the eighties? Okay, it went into the nineties.
Speaker 2: All right. Did he become a manager? No?
Speaker 9: But a bench coach?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, a bench coach took part in three perfect games and he was part of the losing team in all three games. Hmmm, well known player.
Speaker 9: I would think Marv would know who he is.
Speaker 2: Marv would know.
Speaker 4: Okay, ellis Burks.
Speaker 9: No, I guess yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: Todd, you got one. You're mister eighties. Kevin Elster, I don't know I known that. Okay, Well, he said he's a bench coach.
Speaker 7: He was, yea Robbie Thompson the San Francisco Giants. No, I'm Marv was a Giants fan.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you big hit? Forty second anniversary of Lenny Barker's perfect game.
Speaker 2: Uh, Toby Harra.
Speaker 9: He played for the Indians. He wasn't above to lose that.
Speaker 2: Why are you yelling at me? I'm sorry, all right, give me the answer.
Speaker 9: Andre Griffa of the Toronto Blue Jays and twice but he played for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mike.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I gotta tell you him. Not one hundred percent sure that was worth the time.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm wrong, Yeah, Lack. You know, we had a build up, we had a runway, and I don't think it ever took off longer than a perfect Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, I didn't even know that guy existed. I did not.
Speaker 6: Marvin wouldn't know that guy. Oh what, I I have no idea who that guy is.
Speaker 2: I thought he was gonna say. Andre Dawson's going Okay, ild Hawk. All right, Uh Jonathan in California. Hi, Jonathan, w's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 15: Happy belated mine world last Monday. And I found out me and t Swift share a birthday. That was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I saw Hustle that was my delated best over the weekend. And my best disc was the Lakers and Hustle was great and you were great in it as well. And again me and Adam worked on Spanglish together. And I still get my residual checks from other stuff as well for a couple of cents every now and then. I wanted to talk about Aaron Judge briefly. I am not a Yankee apologist. I'm a hardcore Dodger Blue fan, but stepping out of the batter's box is not worth the risk nowadays with the pitch clock, and you see what guys like Sures are do and play mind games and stuff. I could see why maybe a side eye is all he can do in that situation, not apologizing for it, but now we're all going to be leaning in its extra hard on his next at best.
Speaker 2: But you know what the reason why this happened is the Bluejays announcers. And thanks for the phone call. They made it a story because now you can notice that there's a side eye to the yankee dugout and what is he looking at? What is he looking for? And then they said he had done it previously, not previous at bats. I think just that at bat and maybe he was bothered by his teammates who were still chirping at the umpires because Aaron Boone got tossed down. I'm going to give Judge the benefit of the doubt there. Did anybody else benefit from this? Did anybody else? Were they getting somebody tipping their pitches? That's what I'd want to know. And it felt like Buck Martinez has been around probably you know, fifty years with baseball and a former catcher, and he brought it up. And then Dan Shulman as well the Blue Jays announcers like, don't want to, you know, have any accusations while we have accusations. Yeah, pulling.
Speaker 7: If you're Aaron Judge, you have a little fun with it tonight because you're the king right now with your batting titles all that.
Speaker 2: Do you look over do you get in that.
Speaker 7: Batter's box and do a full head turn and look at a big eyes to your dugout and then turn back to the pitcher and just getting everyone's head about it.
Speaker 8: They're basically accused stuff.
Speaker 2: You could be in the batter's box and you could look over and go, you know, shake your head or you know stuff. Tonight I'd get in there and I would be like side eye and then I would smile at my guys. Although you just got to make sure that Toronto pitcher has a sense of humor too, and he might not. Yes, ton and the catcher.
Speaker 10: If Judge strikes out right in front of you, do you make a little comment as it's walking back to the doug.
Speaker 4: Oh you didn't see what do you wanted to see?
Speaker 6: This particularly beat?
Speaker 10: Get a little comment to them, Howard andre Griffith, Yeah, thank you, Tom andre Griffith.
Speaker 4: Yeah, perfect games, losing end.
Speaker 2: Thank you to You know what will make it all better? Coming up next hour when Todd does his Sports Center tease that that'll bring the audience back, that'll do it. What are the results so far from the poll question an hour to see new Connor?
Speaker 10: Damn.
Speaker 3: We were asking the audience with the best landing spot for Victor Wimbinyama. Okay, yeah, right now, thirty nine percent are guessing other, which I think really means mind team because.
Speaker 2: Some people are thrown off. The Lakers are the best spots, like did the Lakers aren't?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 7: What was the answer to that guy's long winded trivia question again, Andre Griffith.
Speaker 8: Andre Griffith.
Speaker 7: That'd be great, but unfortunately his name was Alfredo Griffin, not Andre Griffith. So he had everything right except for the answer.
Speaker 2: Alfredo Griffin the Blue Jays shortstop.
Speaker 8: That's correct, an actual, an actual person.
Speaker 2: So you had that build up and he's still got the name wrong.
Speaker 4: That's Dre Griffith.
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't a perfect call.