Speaker 1: Dear let you know USA listener.
Speaker 2: Before we start, you should know that if you want to listen to this episode, add free. Just join Plus and you can join for as little as seven dollars a month. Joining also gets you behind the scenes access and yes, some cheese may so click the link in the episode description and after you do that, then click play.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the.
Speaker 2: Show, Dear listener, I hope you enjoyed the holiday with your loved ones. It's such a special time, but you know, many people simply can't do that, people like Mary Estrada, for example, and that's because Mary's husband, Robert, is in prison. And it's often women like Mary who carry the burden of taking care of their incarcerated loved ones. Since we first aired this story in twenty twenty three, Mary has suffered another loss.
Speaker 3: And I just got telling her, I'm here, Mom's here, How Mom's going to fix it? And I couldn't fix it.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you more about that and how Mary's doing today at the end of our show. From Fudro Media, It's Latino USA II Mariegnosa Today Mary's Journey, an intimate look at the financial and emotional burden that women carry when they have the loved one behind bars. One in four people in the United States have a family member behind bars, and those carrying this financial and emotional weight are disproportionately women who are not white.
Speaker 4: Good morning, How are you mat her thirty? That's fine.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't tell how early in the morning it is. By the way Mary Estrada looks, she has a perfect blowout with some waves framing her round, delicately made up face.
Speaker 3: It is cold, yeah, very cold.
Speaker 1: I can hardly see her dark eyes under the extra large eyelash extensions.
Speaker 3: So today is Sunday. It is six forty one in the morning. We're in Pomona, California, leaving my house to go visit my husband in San Diego at R. J. Donovan Prison.
Speaker 1: Mary is fifty seven years old and she's been with Robert Estrada since they were teenagers. She started visiting her husband in prison some forty years ago. Robert has been in and out of prison all of his adult life. This is what most weekends look like for Mary. On Saturdays, she gets on a video call with Robert. On Sundays, she drives one hundred and thirty five miles each way to see him in prison.
Speaker 3: So this is my ritual when I go see my husband, sect to get about three o'clock in the morning, just to make sure you get their own time. If there's no traffic, because I'm drive fast, I get there about I would say an hour and twenty minutes. But if I go with the speed limit, I'll get there in two hours. So today I'll go with the speed limit.
Speaker 1: Robert is currently being held at Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility in San Diego, where he's serving a forty two year sentence involving the use of a gun during a robbery and voluntary manslaughter. We won't get into details about his case because that's not what this story is about. It isn't about the harsh experience of being incarcerated either, and we're not trying to undermine their reality or compare it with that of their partners outside. Robert has served eleven years so far, and he's expected to stay in prison until at least thirty seven. Mary is wearing what she calls her prison clothes. Dress code is very strict for prison visitors. The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, or CDCR, advises to dress conservatively and modestly, which means no short skirts, no tight pants, no blue jeans or hair extensions. Mary wears an airy white dress with some embroidered flowers below the knee and a black V shaped sweater. On her chest hangs a silver crucifix. Her nails are extra long and Barbie pink with glitter butterflies on her ring fingers.
Speaker 3: Nails look great, Oh thank you. I took them off for like about two weeks and I couldn't even type. And I told my husband. I just said, oh, you're working on a car again. He calls my hands mechandicts when I don't have nails on. But yeah, I have to have my nails on. I think I'm a diva. I mean, you can't lose yourself to this life. It's like you still have to get up and get ready.
Speaker 1: After many years working as an accountant for private companies, Mary recently started working for the County of Los Angeles. She hasn't told her colleagues that Robert is in prison yet. For Mary, being able to take care of Robert was always above any job requirement.
Speaker 3: I've always told them during my interviews, I need to take phone calls when it comes in. There's no way can I miss those phone calls. And I have to take certain days off. And if you guys can't meet that, please let me know now, and I won't take the job.
Speaker 1: Mary says she turned down at least two jobs for that reason. Starty from the se Justice Group, a nonprofit supporting women with incarcerated loved ones, found that nearly half of the women who are taking care of someone in prison changed their personal plans and careers to support their loved ones needs. Many of them end up working more hours or switching jobs so that they can pick up their calls or visit them often. So tell me what are we looking at?
Speaker 3: So we're looking at my photo album.
Speaker 1: On the glass table in Pomona, where Mary lives with her sister and her dog. There are three fat photo albums.
Speaker 3: And these are pictures YouTube in the prison. Yes, and the visits. Oh my god, there's so much, so many.
Speaker 1: Mary was born in the Philippines, but she grew up in Los Angeles. She went to high school with Robert's sister. Robert is two years younger than Mary. They were both teenagers when they started dating, but they would break up and get back together often.
Speaker 3: I was a troubled child, rebellious. I didn't complete high school. I was molested, and it just took a lot out of me.
Speaker 1: Mary started drinking when she was twelve years old. At the same age, a family member introduced her to drugs. She smoked PCP or angel dust. She also did cocaine, acid snorted heroin. She spent two nights in jail for the first time at the age of eighteen for stealing clothes at them all.
Speaker 3: I think with the drugs, I just buried my pain in there, and every time I thought of my childhood, it just, you know, it ripped me apart, and it still does.
Speaker 1: Robert's childhood wasn't easy either. He grew up in the San Fernando Valley, a majority Latino area. His mother is Mexican, his father is Italian Mexican.
Speaker 3: His mother, she had custody of him, but she wasn't nurturing. His father introduced him to drugs at the age of ten. So my husband was like a throwaway kid, and he just he grew up in the streets just doing drugs. So everybody could tell me, why are you with him, He's bad news. Leave him. I didn't see that in him. I saw a kind gentleman.
Speaker 1: Robert joined a gang, he started selling drugs, doing carjack strawberries. When he was eighteen, he went to prison for the first time as an adult. He ended up in solitary confinement for about a week, so they couldn't talk, and Mary missed him. She says that's the moment she realized she was in love with him. I've never not had a boyfriend, and with him, it was just so different. There was a connection that I can't even explain. It's like this guy took my heart.
Speaker 3: I knew that I was going to be with him for the rest of my life, whether he was out here or in there.
Speaker 1: Mary started spending most of her weekends as an adult visiting Robert in prison. She would go wherever he was being held, like Sacramento, which was a nine hour drive for Mary.
Speaker 4: What would your family.
Speaker 3: Or your friends say that I was stupid for doing this journey, for visiting him. They said that I could do better, But he can't control what your heart feels, and this is who my heart wanted.
Speaker 1: Mary's family would organize trips every once in a while to Hawaii to Memphis to visit Graceland Elvis's house, but Mary refused to join them.
Speaker 3: Because I didn't want to leave my husband behind. He can't go, So if he can't go, then why am I going to go. I'm not gonna have fun. I'm just gonna think about him. So I'd rather be here with him where I could visit him. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Speaker 1: Mary was working three jobs at the time, and she would juggle her schedules around so that she could leave early.
Speaker 3: It was always on his schedule. It was about him. And you know what, ninety nine percent of the prison community with the wives and the girlfriends, are the same way. We have to get those phone calls, we have to get those appointments, we have to see them.
Speaker 1: Flipping through the albums, I see a photo where Mary and Robert are kissing.
Speaker 3: Oh that one. Yeah, that's when kissing was allowed and now they don't allow it. It's not here's one of us. Here's one of us making out. Oh who uses that word? God, it was so long. This is in nineteen ninety two, November ninety two. That's his writing, his nice penmanship. This when I was pregnant.
Speaker 1: Mary had her daughter Samantha at twenty five years old, and she gave birth on her own. California is one of only four states that still allow conjugal visits. For Samantha, growing up while her dad was in prison was tough. All she remembers is going to visit him there.
Speaker 3: She because you stole my childhood away from me, and I felt bad. I felt bad. She didn't have a relationship with her dad for a long time. She hated him. She wouldn't speak to him because of what he's put me through.
Speaker 1: The year nineteen ninety six was a turning point for Mary. She spent four months in jail on drug charges. Mary felt the only way she could work on herself and get sober was to leave Robert, who was still using drugs. They were apart for ten years, then in two thousand and six, she visited him in prison and decided to get back together. Things got better over time with Samantha as well. She has three children, and Mary says they visit Robert in prison when they're in California.
Speaker 3: Everybody tells me it's you put your life on hold, and it's still on hold. When are you gonna live? But this is living for me. I can't see my life without him. Speak of the devil.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm talking to Mary in her home. She gets one of those phone calls that puts everything on hold. Hello, you have from Robert and Mary chat about the problems with the food sold by the prison cafe. Families could only buy their fresh foods for their overnight visits also known as family visits. From one bender.
Speaker 4: You can't be.
Speaker 2: I'm taking great Here.
Speaker 3: We go.
Speaker 1: Married team tap with several other women to complain about the food vender. They say he was selling them rotten and expired food. They also point out that his prices are higher than at regular source.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Robert tells Mary that the news about the food complaints have spread inside Donovan as well.
Speaker 3: Okay good.
Speaker 1: Mary is the one leading this movement, as she calls it. Advocacy is a big part of Mary's life. She manages several Facebook groups for families of the incarcerated in California, and two of them are dedicated to R. J. Donovan, the San Diego prison. Mary says there are more than three hundred and thirty people in the Donovan group and they're all well.
Speaker 3: That has to change as well, because the food is rotten in there, and then like when you guys have power outages, those machines go down, so all that melted ice cream is still sitting there, and then we're purchasing it. Why do you think I never eat the ice cream? I tell you to stop eating it.
Speaker 1: Mary created a food committee with six other women from her Facebook group. They reached out to the Department of Corrections and other agencies to complain about the vendor and ask if he was authorized to sell fresh food to families, among other issues. It's not the first time Mary's being vocal about the problems at Donovan. She's organized protests in front of the prison and talked to the media about Donovan's mismanagement during the pandemic. She has served as a family representative at the prison, and she speaks regularly with see the headquarters, and all of that affects Robert too. But Robert is very proud of Mary and her advocacy for the families. He says Mary is the only good thing that's ever happened to him, and that men at Donovan want their wives to be more like Mary, the way she's always there for him and fighting to make things better. Last Christmas Robert painted a portrait of Mary as a gift for her. In the painting, Mary wears a white hat with a blue ribbon that reads masterpiece.
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry because I know that this also puts you, like in a position. I'm not trying to get anybody in trouble. I just want what's right.
Speaker 1: You had six.
Speaker 3: I love you, all right, Yeah, I'm fine.
Speaker 5: Dark at the picture.
Speaker 3: Shut up with you in your stupid picture. I know, I think I love you. I love you, God, bless you, bye, honey God. I hate that prison always something. I'm sorry. I just get so passionate about it. You can call it puppy love. But he is my true love. He's my best friend. Even though he's in there, I can depend on him for anything. He's my backbone. He really is. I'm gonna get try.
Speaker 2: Coming up on Latino, USA, we continue our journey with Mary to our J. Donovan Correctional facility, and along the way we meet another woman who's learning the ropes of being married to someone in prison. Stay with us, hey, we're back. Before the break. We began our journey to accompany Mary Estrada in one of her visits to R. J. Donovan that's the prison in San Diego where her husband, Robert is being held. Mary's been visiting and taking care of Robert in prison for forty years. Latino USA Senior producer Marta Martinez is back in the car with Mary.
Speaker 3: And we're going to join them now.
Speaker 1: Next to her car seat, Mary has a tiny plastic purse full of meds and doctor's notes. One of those notes, for example, states that she needs a special diet which allows her to bring her own food for family visits. Several women from Mary's Facebook group have doctor's notes too.
Speaker 3: How cones of heart failure six seven months ago. I went to go visit him and I felt really off. So when I got to my visit, my husband was worried because I kept dozing off. Then I ended up my visit earlier, but I couldn't even drive out, So when I went to the doctor, it showed that I had a mild heart attack.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Having a loved one in prison damagist women's emotional and physical health. According to a study by the sy Justice Group, more than ninety percent of the way whose partners are incarcerated reported feeling anxiety, depression, migraines, insomnia, fatigue, and all of that can lead to more serious conditions in the long term too.
Speaker 3: I tell everybody this journey is not easy. Evaluate or reevaluate your lives before you do this journey, because there's no going back. It's time consuming, it's expensive.
Speaker 1: Mary says she makes seventy thousand dollars a year. It took her years to get out of debt keeping up with the costs of supporting Robert. A third of families who have a loved one in prison go into debt when they support them financially, according to a report of the Elebaker Center for Human Rights, a nonprofit group that focuses on organizing black, brown and low income people.
Speaker 3: He goes full store, it's two forty a month.
Speaker 1: Every month, Mary puts two hundred and forty dollars in Robert's commissary account so that he can buy additional food like soups, tortillas, packaged meat, to keys, and hygiene products. Mary says food serve that the prison is not enough and it's often unhealthy. No fresh fruits or vegetables, sometimes even expired or rotten. So many incarcerated people rely on commissary food for their diets. Mary worries about Robert sayet a lot because she says he has stage four cirrhosis and stage three kidney failure.
Speaker 3: I buy his quarterly packages.
Speaker 1: Families can send care packages whenever they want. They can only do that every three months, but there's a catch. These packages can only be bought through third party vendors authorized by the prison. Through them, families are allowed to buy essentials like pre good foods and hygien products, but also clothes, electronics, and even wedding rings. But the items in these catalogs are often more expensive than they would be at a regular supermarket, sometimes even double like the pre cooked Spanish rise Robert Blakesweet, Mary and other women told me they spend between two hundred and four hundred dollars on each quarterly package.
Speaker 3: And then you have to pay for the phone calls. Before it was just straight collect calls, so when he was in County jail, a fifteen minute phone call would be like almost twenty five dollars for me.
Speaker 1: Phone calls are one of the biggest money drains for families in California. At the start of twenty twenty three, phone calls became free of charge for people incarcerated in state prisons. Before then, families were paying an estimated sixty eight million a year in prison phone calls. California is only one of four states in the country which have made state prison calls free. The Prison Policy Initiative, a nonprofit research group, estimated that families across the US spend nearly three billion dollars yes with a B every year in commissary fees and phone calls. And then of course Mary has to pay for the gas to go visit Robert every weekend, and the food she'll get from the vending machine there because they aren't allowed to bring their own food. A hamburger, for example, is eight.
Speaker 3: Dollars, So on an average a month, I would spend maybe like a little over fifteen hundred, plus I have to pay what I have here, so it's been hard.
Speaker 1: Mary lives with her sister. They own the house in Pomona, so she doesn't have to pay rent, but she still has to pay for her own expenses, her car, her dog, all of that, making seventy thousand dollars a year. For a long time, Mary also took care of their daughter, Samantha. Seventy percent of women who have incarcerated loved ones are the only breadwinners in their families.
Speaker 3: And there were times where I couldn't go because I didn't have any money, and he would just tell me, I don't have to eat, just come and see me because I want to see you. So we would do that.
Speaker 1: If that wasn't enough. In the majority of cases, it's women who end up paying for their loved ones restitution.
Speaker 3: Restituition is no joke.
Speaker 1: Restitution is the money convicted people have to pay back for the damage they caused, both to the victims and to the state. The way California collects that money is that they take fifty percent of the money family's food in the incarcerated person's account, like the money they use for the prison store or commissary.
Speaker 3: So I would have to put five hundred dollars every three weeks for him to get full store. So a lot of the families couldn't afford that. That's highway robbery. It took me, I want to say, six years to pay off his restitution.
Speaker 1: Robert's restitution was ten thousand dollars. The average dead families end up with for court related fines and fees is close to fourteen thousand dollars. Mary would often max out her credit cards without telling Robert.
Speaker 3: But all the money that I put into my husband from the age of eighteen till now, I'd be a multi millionaire.
Speaker 1: Family visits are another expensive piece of the relationship puzzle, but also one of the most coveted because it's the only time spouses can be together with their family members for two days and nights without supervision. Mary says she usually spends more than five hundred dollars on a family visit, the food, the gas, and she has them every three months or so.
Speaker 3: But what are we going to do? Because we want to be there and the families will pay that price.
Speaker 1: Less than an hour after starting our drive south, we take an exit into another suburban area.
Speaker 3: We're also on the way to pick up my carpooler who is also going to RG Donovan. Her name's Yvette.
Speaker 1: Yvette Carrion is also a member of Mary's Facebook group and one of the youngest wives in it. She's thirty five years old.
Speaker 3: She is I hae it.
Speaker 1: She's a second generation Latina. Her family is from the Mexican state of Sinaloa.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I'm trying there's new growndy marys, so you know, just in case. Okay, Well it's wireless, but it has the pastic clips around the straps.
Speaker 4: Yes, will it set off teller?
Speaker 5: No, A lot of girls wear on home.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As soon as she gets in the car. This is the first thing Yvette asks Mary about her bra.
Speaker 3: Okay, that dress code at the prison is it's crazy. You have to be with their guidelines.
Speaker 4: Like you can't wear regular bra no because of the wires, yep, and the buckles. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I hadn't realized how intimately prison rules these women's lives down to their underwear.
Speaker 5: It's still grady you to say. I feel like they treat us the way like they treat them. They don't view us any differently. We're like inmates on time out.
Speaker 1: We reached out to the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation about this. In a statement, they said that they recommend visitors to arrive at least one hour early for processing. That's when anyone who enters the facility is searched for potential contraband. Prison officials say it is a necessary step to ensure the safety of incarcerated individuals and that they follow the same rules at each prison.
Speaker 4: I need to be married.
Speaker 5: Do you remember the first time I see Mary, she was pissed off sitting in that lobby, and I was just like what I was looking at her?
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, dang, she really is me.
Speaker 5: And then I finally introduced myself to her, and then we just started talking more and then carpulling together. I appreciate Mary because I would be so lost with this whole journey because there's a lot of things we don't know, not even tell my husband sometimes, like like, I'm gonna ask Mary, and he's like, you always ask Mary.
Speaker 4: I'm like, well, yeah, she knows a lot. I'm like new to all this.
Speaker 1: Yvette and Jonathan went to high school together, but back then they were just friends. Jonathan went to prison and when he was eighteen. He's been in there for twenty years. Yvette had four children with another partner, then separated. She reconnected with Jonathan and they started talking on the phone more and more often. Four years ago, she started visiting him in prison.
Speaker 5: I never came to visit anyone in prison. I ended up coming with him, and then I fall in love with my husband and we got married.
Speaker 1: Yvette says she spends close to one thousand dollars a month to support Jonathan. She's also a full time mom to four children under the age of nineteen, and she's finishing her bachelor's degree in social work. She recently started a new job as a social worker working with children.
Speaker 4: That's one thing, he said.
Speaker 5: He never wants to get in the way of my career, and he loves that I care about kids the way I do, he says, that's one thing he admires about me.
Speaker 1: Yvette hasn't told many of her colleagues that her husband is in prison.
Speaker 5: Not everyone knows because right when I started, I felt like I was judged right away, just by the way I look my makeup.
Speaker 1: If it has several tattoos on her arms and her chest. On the base of her right thumb there's a rose and growing from its petals up to her knuckles, it says Jonathan.
Speaker 5: I don't want them to feel like me be married to him is gonna get in the way of my job, because I see how they talk about parents that are incarcerated.
Speaker 4: It's like they just look down on them.
Speaker 1: If it actually sees her experience as something that makes her better at her job, because she can see both sides in a situation.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like you have a double life.
Speaker 3: It is a double life. We have this life and then we have our outside life. And especially with work, you don't want to bring that out because you don't know what they're gonna say or think. It's like a big secret.
Speaker 4: People.
Speaker 3: They need to stop labeling others. Just like with us. We are educated and I'm happy with what I have. I may not make a lot of money, but I've accomplished a lot.
Speaker 1: Mary isn't afraid to face it. Institution like the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation or CDCR. There are more than one hundred thousand people incarcerated in California, the highest number in the country after Texas.
Speaker 3: Like with these women, I push them. I always thought, exercise your Amendment rights. If you're not sure of it, look it up. Don't let them deter you from doing what you think is right. That's what advocacy is. If you feel that they're in the wrong, call them out on it. But before you call them out on it, make sure you have.
Speaker 4: Proof, you have facts.
Speaker 3: This journey's not easy, and especially when you're new to it, because you're blindsided by a lot of stuff, and you want that one person that does know it to help you.
Speaker 4: And that's Mary for a lot of us.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Because sometimes your regular friends are family, they don't really understand, so it's hard to talk to them when you're going through something and you need to because a lot of times you're just going to be judgmental and say negative things that you don't really want to hear. So it's helpful to have a friend that's another prison wife because they understand what you're going through.
Speaker 1: Yvette is also part of the food committee that Mary created from her Facebook group. Remember the complaints the women had about the vendor, who they say was selling them rotten food for their family visits and had no option but to buy from him. It's been over a month at this point since they started mobilizing around it. The women flagged over thirty complaints that families had been posting in the Facebook group over the last year and a half and sent them to CDCR. The women also called the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration and found out that the vendor didn't have a seller's permit.
Speaker 3: Now he can't sell to the families anymore. Because he doesn't have a seller's permit and he's only contracted to sell to the staff.
Speaker 1: We've tried to figure out who's responsible for vetting and approving the food vendor, but it's complicated. There are several state agencies and intermediaries involved. In this case, it was the Department of Rehabilitation, which is different from the Department of Corrections, who hired the food vendor to run Donovan's cafe. We were able to look at an agreement with the food vendor signed in two thousand and seven, where their signatures from both the Department of Rehabilitation and the Department of Corrections. We reached out to the food vendor for comment, but he referred us to the Department of Corrections or CDCR for any questions. We reached out to CDCR to ask who authorized the food vendor to sell fresh food to the families for their overnight visits, but they didn't provide any specific answers. They did confirm that the vendor has not provided any services to the incarcerated population or visitors since February twenty twenty three, that's the month when I accompanied Mary to the prison. In any case, it wasn't until the women investigated on on their own and found out that the vendor wasn't allowed to sell fresh food to families for their overnight visits. That state agencies finally took action.
Speaker 3: So this is the exit to get off to go to the prison.
Speaker 1: On the left side of the freeway. There are two big Amazon warehouses behind them, some impressive dark green mountains contrast with the dry planes were driving on.
Speaker 3: So it's super close.
Speaker 1: To the border.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Donovan is literally an exit away from the border.
Speaker 1: A group of concrete cubes emerges on the yellow plane, all circled with barbed wire. They're all two stories high, their windows long and unnecessarily narrow, like slacks on a wood floor.
Speaker 3: It just seems like I've been driving all day.
Speaker 1: Two hours after leaving Pomona, we have arrived at RJ. Donovan Correctional Facility in San Diego. We're inside the car approaching the entrance cabin where a guard is standing. Recording isn't allowed on the premises.
Speaker 4: You had to put your microphone. Yeah, this is r.
Speaker 2: Coming up on Latino USA. We find out how Mary and Yvette's visits with their husbands went, and during that visit, women get some unexpected news from the prison. Stay with us, Hey, we're back. Before the break, we were in the car driving with Mary Estrada and Yvette Carrion on their way to RJ. Donovan. That's the prison in San Diego where their husbands are incarcerated. We also learned about how Mary, Yvette and other women mobilized to complain about the food vendor who was serving for the family visits. They say this person was selling them rotten food. But will California's Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation take any action in response? Latino Usay senior producer Marta Martinez is going to pick up the story from here.
Speaker 1: It's almost nine am when we passed by the entrance. Five women and one child are lined up waiting to get in for their visits. Donovan didn't allow me to go inside the prison because I wasn't an approved visitor and recording audio isn't allowed inside the prison anyway, So I waited for Mary and Divette at a nearby cafe. Okay, more than four hours later, past one thirty pm, I jump back into Mary's car and just to hear about how their visits went. Maybe like there definitely know, but Mary is already on a call with the women from the Food Committee. While Mary and Yvette were inside visiting their husbands, Archie Donovan issued a new food menu for family visits.
Speaker 3: Yeah like you got its stop Yeah, all orange juice like those of beverages.
Speaker 1: Since the previous vendor can't sell food to families anymore because the women's complaints revealed that he didn't have a permit. Now Donovan has come up with a new menu, a very limited one.
Speaker 5: Or they had like frozen bags with chicken tenders and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: The new menu only has five items families can purchase for their two days days. Bananas a twenty five cents apiece, apples at fifty cents each, greenmel peppers at fifty cents apiece, bag salad for five dollars, and eggs six dollars for a dozen. That's all the fresh food families can eat for two days.
Speaker 3: We need to sit down with Donovan to discuss the prices and also the selections. And we can't throw out a lot of stuff out there because they're going to reject it.
Speaker 1: It's clear who the leader is. Mary jokes about how much officers at Donovan love her.
Speaker 5: I love you because you're here.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad that you guys were working while we weren't visiting.
Speaker 4: You guys are easy all the time. It never ends, it's.
Speaker 1: Always The women are very upset about the new food menu and how limited it is. Mary worries about the families who don't have doctor's notes like she does, and who now might have fewer fresh food options than they did before. This is an unexpected consequence of their advocacy. But Mary, he still thinks they did the right thing by exposing the vendor. They've been fighting for what they think is right to be treated with dignity, and now maybe some families will have it worse, or we'll get more doctor's notes. It seems that whatever the women are fighting to improve at Donovan, the outcome is never what they envisioned. So they pick up the next fight with a prison system that punishes them too. And it's exhausting.
Speaker 3: So tell me America did the visico this morning was hard and processing because they delayed me forty minutes. But other than that, after I got to the visiting yard, it was good. After seeing my husband, we talked about our family visit. What I was going to order for our food, and then we talked about our grandkids and how he wants to see them. I said, in the summer and they'll come. And then we talked about Yvette and her husband and that was about it.
Speaker 4: So you bet, can you tell me about how you're.
Speaker 5: In the beginning, it was bad because I waited for an hour for him to come out, and then when he did, I was just so upset. So I wasted another like twenty thirty minutes just be mad at him and arguing with him instead of enjoying my visit. What happened He decided to wait last minute to take a shower, And I think I need to be more understanding because he does really have ocdu when it comes to his hygiene. Sometimes I just feel like he just doesn't value my effort in my time sometimes, like I get it he cares about his looks and all that, but at the same time, we only get limited hours to be together during visits, so I just feel like they shouldn't be wasted, and I feel like sometimes he just takes that for granted, and I think that's pretty selfish.
Speaker 4: And yes I did when they be saying.
Speaker 5: That I need to be more understanding that he can't control everything, and he's always reminding me that he's in prison and there's rules. They don't get to just do whatever they want when they want.
Speaker 3: But then he.
Speaker 5: Apologized, and then I apologized, and we finished our visit really good. I'm just sitting there and talking about our upcoming family visit.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna work on being.
Speaker 5: More understanding and patient because I know sometimes I could be impatient as well.
Speaker 1: It's hard for me to understand these women's unwavering commitment. I tell them, I don't think a lot of people could do it. They're also very open about their frustrations with their husbands, yet here they are most weekends.
Speaker 4: It's a big commitment. Yeah, it is very good. So why keep doing that? Why keep coming? Why keep taking care of him? Because I love him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm in love with him, so I don't mind doing it. We can't help we and yes, like our loved ones, had made mistakes, but people do change, and not everyone in those walls are bad people. They're human, just like us, and everyone makes mistakes.
Speaker 1: Mary hents me a photo she took with Robert in the morning during her visit. When she gets home, Mary's gonna place the photo in one of her many albums that is also part of her ritual. Both Mary and Davette are already planning and saving for the family visit next month. They'll be spending two days and two nights inside Donovan Prison, on the other side of the barbed wire. I tell them that in a way, even when they're out here, it's like they're in prison too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, believe me. When I fight with my husband, oh my god, I tell him, you think you're the fucking only one doing this journey. I said, I'm the one incarcerated with the financial burdens. You have it easy. And he gets all quiet because he knows it's true.
Speaker 1: Evening, so traffic is getting heavier on the never ending freeway. Mary decides to take a shortcut and drives through some secondary roads and then about an hour later we arrive at the wall or parking lot to drop off your bed.
Speaker 3: See, and your car is still hear you be and Mary, we gotta like really to protest because yes.
Speaker 5: They're annoying already. Bananas and pepper and eggs.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, be careful.
Speaker 3: You see we left in the dark and we're coming back in the dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty crazy. As the sky turns dark and the traffic gets heavier, the freeway becomes a strip of dancing white and red lights. Mary's face melts into the night as she drives, and then it gets illuminated again by the phone screen hanging below the rear mirror. The faces of three women appear on the screen. It's another impromptu meeting of the food committee.
Speaker 5: What menu, diarrhea, eggs and lettuce.
Speaker 1: The conversation makes the long journey back home more palatable. The questions for Mary keep coming, but so do the laughs, and there's also a sense of community. They're not doing this journey alone. Mary has found her calling. Mary says she's very proud of the women in her committee. It's the best committee she's ever had. The women are smart and.
Speaker 3: Fears Virginia, Jen Jasmine, Lisa, Yvette, Wanica. You know, they're all strong and they believe in the fighting, and that's what I need. I can't fight for everybody. They have to fight for themselves and for their loved ones. And it's hard to come across women that are one hundred percent and the prison life. The majority of the visitors are women. Then I had a conversation with my husband about that two weeks ago, and I told him I've had to put my life on hold all these years, so when is it going to be my chain to live? And his answer to me was, well, you knew what you were getting yourself into, which was a cheap shot. And I told him, you know, I don't have to be here. I choose to be here because I love you. But let's not get it twisted. Keep pushing me and you can do your journey by yourself. This is all I really know is how to be a prison wife, how to advocate for your rights. But as to having another relationship, I wouldn't even know how to deal with that, and I don't want to.
Speaker 1: At the end of the cul a Sac, we finally see Mary's house with its well kept long It's almost seven pm. It's been more than twelve hours since we started disturbed.
Speaker 3: Oh it's good to be home. Yeah I made it.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh thank god.
Speaker 1: Once Mary gets inside, she's going to have to make more calls, answer more messages from her Facebook group, and then hopefully Robert will call to say good night. Luckily, tomorrow is President's Day, so she'll be able to rest a bit, but most weekends she won't be able to do that. She'll just go straight back to work, back to her other life.
Speaker 2: That was Mary's story as we aired it back in twenty twenty three. But our producer Marta recently caught up with Mary because well, she's been through a lot over the past couple of years, and there's some dramatic updates.
Speaker 1: Here's Martha again. Mary, it's so good to see you.
Speaker 3: Same here, really very very good to see you, and you look super beautiful. Oh thank you. That's very sweet.
Speaker 1: But I do notice that you've lost quite a lot of weight.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I've lost seventy three pounds to be exact.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. So yeah, can you tell us what happened.
Speaker 3: My daughter, Samantha, she was going through a lot, she got divorced. You met this guy. He was physically abusing her and probably abusing her. But then I had said to her, what is it going to take for you to leave him? He's going to kill you, right, So her boyfriend took her away for the weekend Chattanooga, and I guess they started doing drugs and she overdosed on Pentanol, I'm so sorry. Thank you.
Speaker 1: You got to see Samantha at the hospital.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. The minute got to the hospital and I saw her laying there and she was connected to the tubes. I just like, I don't remember if I fell to my knees, but I know that I was crying and I was telling her to wake up. And then she opened up her eyes and was just like looking at me. But I knew it wasn't her. It was just a reflex, but just to see her brown eyes open, and I just got telling her, I'm here, Mom's here, My Mom's going to fix it. And I couldn't fix it, Marta. I couldn't fix it.
Speaker 1: You can't do everything. Mary, You couldn't do anything about it. No, Samantha was your only.
Speaker 3: Daughter, My only daughter, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the daughter you had with Robert. What was it like for Robert.
Speaker 3: The day that it happened. I couldn't tell him. I was on the phone with him, and it was the hardest thing for me to even bring up. And I waited till the next morning because I had to like tell him in a soft way so he wouldn't, you know, go off and get in trouble. And so The next morning, he called me and he was just like, what's wrong? And I told him, I said, Samantha passed away, and he saw, what do you mean she passed away? And telling him, I kept breaking down. It was so hard, Marda, so hard. Yeah, so he cries a lot. I just feel like I'm I just walk around here like chicken without a head. Hmmm. I don't have a will to live, but I have to live. So I have my grandkids.
Speaker 1: So is that what gives you hope?
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially Cassie, the oldest one, because Samantha is me and Cassie is Samantha, so she's she's like this little diva and she cracks me up because I always ask her, I said, why do you call me girl? And she goes, because you're my girl.
Speaker 1: I hope you and Robert at least can comfort each other and you still have your family visits, right.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah. As a matter of fact, I got a phone call from a prison wife. If she's a mother, she has family visits a Thursday, and she has cancer. So the new family visiting coordinator told her that she cannot bring her doctor's note. That's not allowed anymore. And I said, she can't implement that. So I swore up and down that I was not going to do a movement, and I'm getting ready to do a movement.
Speaker 1: Look at that. Why am I not surprised? And not only that, you are also part of this class action lawsuit against some of the guards at Richard J. Donovan Prison. You and other people who were visiting family members, were required to undergo an inclothed search. Yes, without any real, quote unquote reasonable suspicion that you would commit any kind of illegal action like smuggling things into the prison. And you won. We won. In twenty twenty four, you reached a settlement agreement. Yeah, and the defendants will have to pay a total amount of three point five million dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a big win too. It was a very big win. And I don't want to sound greedy, but it came at the right time because I was able to have her cremate it and brought home to me. I mean, last year I almost filed for bankruptcy and then this came in at the right time. And it's like every day last year I was crying, like I can't take this baby, Why do I have to suffer? I guess I was having a pity party and he saw you better stop. That's not my wife.
Speaker 1: I feel like you just can't help it. You're always going to be fighting for something, Mary, I think so.
Speaker 3: I think I was put on this earth for that. But we'll see.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Mary for your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you, You're very welcome. Take care.
Speaker 2: This episode was produced by Marta Martinez. It was edited by Daisy Contreras. It was mixed by Stephanie Lebau and Julia Caruso. In fact checking for this episode by Monica Morales. Garcia. Fernanda Echavari is our managing editor. The Latino USA team also includes Roxanna Guire, Jessica Elis, Rebecca, Bara Rinaldo, Leanos Junior, Luis Luna Doloriman Marquez, Jugeta Martinelli, Balo Marperez, jj Carube, Annelo Reuez, and Nancy Truquillo. Pemile Ramirez and I are executive producers. I'm Your Host Marie no Josa. Latino USA is part of Iheart's Michael Duda podcast Network. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomes and Arlene Santana. Join us again on our next episode and in the meantime, look for us and look for me on all kinds of social media, especially on Instagram and Dear listener, if you want to avoid skipping through the ads, join Futuro Plus.
Speaker 3: You'll be able to.
Speaker 2: Listen ad free, you'll get bonus episodes, lots of cool cheesemath, and you'll be supporting Futuro, which we know you love.
Speaker 3: Yes Yes.
Speaker 1: Latino USA is made possible in part by Public Welfare Foundation, catalyzing transformative approaches to justice that are community led, restorative, and racially just. California Endowment building a strong state by improving the health of all Californians, and funding for Latino
Speaker 5: USA is Coverage of a culture of health is made possible in part by a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation