Speaker 1: Coach joining this right now. Bobby Miranda on the show for the first time and you can catch them on ESPN lot's College Baseball analysis. Tons of experience in the D one game coach. Great to have you on the show, first of all, and we're gonna do like some sections here, we'll get to some coaching questions, but I do want to start with MLB in the World Series and some of what we have communicated about off the show. So how you doing. Great to have you on, and why don't you introduce to the world some of the math that you use to analyze the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first off, hats on backwards.
Speaker 3: Come on, I'm old school as they come, So no problem there whatsoever.
Speaker 2: It got yelled at a lot about that.
Speaker 3: Now I got to cover one thing really quick with aj born and bred white Sox fan from shown, Yes, m Nordhagen, Bart Johnson, Yeah, Kenny Henderson, Chet Lemon, Juice, you know, all the guys.
Speaker 2: So nice, big time.
Speaker 4: So just you know, it's about damn time we got more white Sox fans. We always have these clubs people on here. It's about time we got some white Sox level on the show.
Speaker 3: Things are looking at and then the next thing I just want to mention I was gonna say. The next thing is, hey, I'm old school metrics, stats, all this analytics stuff. I get it. It's not robots playing the game. It's humans. It's about toughness. It's about you know, just executing and being overlooked. That's what the Jays are all about, I think so far kind of being underestimated and overlooked.
Speaker 2: But what we're going to talk about is marrying the two.
Speaker 3: You know, everyone talks about OPS, you know, offensively, and then the last year or so they're starting to talk about OPS aloud on the defensive side, maybe individually by pitchers. We want to marry both defense and offense and show that differential. And it's been just fascinating to see at the college game the last three years and now at the MLB level in the playoffs right now. You know, if the Dodgers win, it will be eleven of twelve where the OPS differential is correct. Offense first defense, the difference between those two, how you do if the Blue Jays win, we'll talk about why here in a set. So that's kind of in a nutshell.
Speaker 2: I want to see what you.
Speaker 1: Guys call Okay, so dive in deeper here, So tell me, tell me about OPS differential and how it's playing out in the current postseason. And then also you can mention how it has played out in college baseball right now. And I've forgotten real granular for people obviously if you're watching the show regularly, Yeah, you know on base plus slugging percentage, And this is not adjusted, right, This is just the plain old on base plus slugging percentage, both in terms of offense and in terms of run prevention, right.
Speaker 3: And it's one sixty two, So the inventory matters more head to head is more accurate. So what I've looked at in the college game, you look at the SEC. So in the SEC the last three years, LSU national champions in twenty five, Tennessee twenty four, LSU twenty three, they're all one or two in the SEC and OPS differential, they win a national championship. In the big leagues twenty two, the Astros, twenty three, the Rangers, twenty four of the Dodgers all top four, one, two and four in the big leagues in OPS differential.
Speaker 2: So not just like how.
Speaker 3: Much we slug, it's what we do on both sides of the ball from a defensive standpoint, and what you're thinking about there. You're like, well, that's just all about pitching, and this is for you Eric and AJ. It's about the catching too. I think that's where the Blue Jays. It's kind of underrated what Kirk does. The way he receives, he's I think he's number two in the league in receiving by stat cast blocking he's number one.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't give up nineties. He doesn't get people in scoring position. And then it's the defensive athletes. Started sharing this with some of these coaches, you know, I called j Johnson at LSU, Oak at Virginia, Mississippi State, slash Link Charit at Florida State. I started throwing this stuff out there and they're like, wow, man, this is cool. You know, wait a second, this has to do with our athletes. So if you have like Freddie Freeman on the corner, you have Kirk behind the plate, you have many Machada at third or maybe Clement who's a UVA player at third, and then you got guys in the outfield that are deers running around. You're taking away slug and so when you take away slug that's the secret sauce, and I feel that's what's happened with the Blue Jays. Think about it. You've added Schurezer, You've added Bieber. That's two say young pitchers, and then a prodigy, you know that, Rocky Savage.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: See you add those three guys. Basically at the end of the season, it's a totally different story. They go from you know, eighth in the league in OPS differential and now they're, you know, getting ready to be one game away from a possible championship against the number two ranked OPS differential team, the Dodgers. And the other thing that I would say is that the Blue Jays took out the number one OPS differential the only one that was messed up in the playoffs with this, and that was the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Yankees were number one of the big leagues in this in this metric.
Speaker 3: They wipe them out and then you see a championship after that happened in college when LSU wiped out Wake Forrest in twenty twenty three. That was Paul Skin's Red Louder game in Omaha, and boom, LSU goes on to win the national championship. Same thing last year, LSU wiped out Arkansas, number one in the country. In this differential boom, LSU goes on to win the national championship. So you take off the king, and then these teams have a tendency to go get hot and make a statement.
Speaker 5: How small is too small a sample size? Cause in college I mean I think, really the big you're really going to small?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the big league, the big league stuff is small. Because I just started doing it. I called True Media, I call her guy the ESPNA, said hey, can you give me the playoff teams? And he did, and I kept texting Scott.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is crazy.
Speaker 3: We were one hundred percent in the wild card and then you know one, you know, one messed up in the next round, the divisional round, you know, then one hundred percent and then just kept going. In college baseball, it's all series. It's not just the game, it's the series. So the Super Regionals have been like thirteen of sixteen in twenty three and twenty four as far as being accurate, So yeah, I mean, it's a small sample size as far as years, but the accuracy has been almost at ninety percent as far as series winners.
Speaker 5: That's pretty good.
Speaker 4: David's wait, it's more telling than run differential because Scott loves run differential.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't run differential. Run to Scott loves like Scott text me, it's lazy. It's lazy.
Speaker 2: Scott loves it. He loves it. I don't.
Speaker 4: I just find it funny to make you angry when I say that you like it.
Speaker 1: So it's a lazy stat it is. But so this is less lazy.
Speaker 4: This is less lazy, and it's it's interesting that this is so. Why don't team just build it? Why doesn't every team build their program around this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why don't they? Yeah, build your build. I guarantee your front offices.
Speaker 3: And I think Vegas is doing this right now to create odds or something. But I called all these guys, Jay Johnson, Brian O'Connor, Slosh Link, Jared Sully, uh, you know, just everybody, and they're like, Tony, I'll give you a funny Tony story. So Tony's going into a regional at Clemson. This is three years ago, and I said, Tony, I said that you're gonna win the regional. You know, and I love those guys at Clemson, but you will win the regional because of this, you know, when I'm throwing the numbers out of him. He goes and shows it to his staff and texts me back and goes. He goes, I don't know what you're talking about, but he goes, I showed it to everybody. It made us confident that we were highed in this than they were, and sure enough that it played out. Brian O'Connor was playing duke two years ago to go to Omaha on a Super and Brian was really into this. And Brian goes, hey, we lost the first game, but if you're right, this will play out. I watched the game on TV on a Monday. They went to game three in a Super. Twenty minutes after the game. He shoots me a text. He goes, ops differential, Man, It's there's something to this. It played out because they lost the first game, that won the next two, and it's.
Speaker 2: All about traffic creating traffic. It's old school.
Speaker 3: There's nothing about this that is like launchangle or all this other bs.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's this is old school baseball. Do you take your walk, do you make contact? You know, do you get on base? Do you slug? And do you prevent that stuff on the defensive side. And I feel like for years and I didn't do this as a coach. I just came up with this after I got into broadcasting. I said, I got to know these teams better. How can I do it? Looked at the twenty two Old Miss team that they won the national championship and they were zeroed out in the SEC. When you're zero, okay, that means you're going to Vegas as like a slot machine. You're giving up what you get offensively, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: All right? So I said, how did you make that run, Mike?
Speaker 3: And he goes, we just eliminated all of our pitchers that we're getting it done.
Speaker 2: We threw four or five guys total, made a.
Speaker 3: Run to the national championship and they were slugging number one in the country that year. They were giving up slug too. Eliminated that and started winning at a high level. And this is what like, all these teams are doing pretty much at a ninety percent clip.
Speaker 5: When you mentioned all those names, one of the names you mentioned was Tony Vattello. Yes, this transition, what's his transition going to be like to the big leagues? And is he the is he the new poster child. Because of this doesn't work, all college coaches cooked. If this does work, we're going to see an influx like the minor league solve. Everybody that makes a good PowerPoint presentation all of a sudden becomes a minor league coordinator of a position.
Speaker 2: So correct, Where's Tony at with this? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I agree with you, Eric, I mean, and I've heard you guys talk about this already, and it is. It is fascinating, right, He's the pioneer. But the guy that I trust is Buster. And I heard you say this a few like a week ago or whatever. You know, we recruited Buster out of high school to go to Georgia Tech when I was there off from full ride. He turns down with the Florida State. What an unbelievable kid, unbelievable person, super smart. This guy knows what he's doing. I trust him. Tony, on the other hand, I will tell you straight up. You know he rubbed some people the wrong way at times. Whatever with me. I've known since he was twenty three out on the road, and I absolutely love the guy. He has been super consistent since he was twenty three. You know, I was a Power five coach for a long time in the ACC. Then I went to be a mid major head coach. Still treated me the same no matter what uniform I was wearing. His team came to Western Carolina and played us in Kullowey, which a lot of guys will not do at that level. I just feel like he's a guy that people can get behind, and he's a guys guy. I mean, he's in there in the fight with you. How that translates to one sixty two. I've never played in the big leagues. You guys have that's going to be the thing. But my boy, Murph, I think is the reason this is happening. I think Murph broke that glass ceiling. You know, obviously he was in the minor leagues for a while, he bench coached all that stuff, but he his foundation was a college coach. And I feel like there's a lot of guys out there if this does work, that could be quality candidates to do. You know, the copycat league will go after it, right because you know, like a.
Speaker 2: Tim Corbin or someone like that.
Speaker 3: You know, Slash at Texas, Jay Johnson at LSU would be stand Danny Hall from back. You know, he's a retired, but boy, you know these are quality, quality basement baseball men.
Speaker 4: Well, so you can't hire Slash because he might leave in the middle and say, wait no, you might have done that a timer soon for maybe for Texas A and M fans and TCU fans. But I'm just I mean, he's had a history of not You can't.
Speaker 2: Really do that in the big leagues, for sure. You can't just them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can't really just do that.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of pressure on Tony. If it works, if the league, we'll have Tony Vytello's. If it doesn't, we might never see it again.
Speaker 2: Sure, coach MO.
Speaker 1: Great to have you on, man, Thanks for the time, Thanks for telling everyone how much. Now I got to look for this pythagora and theorem, which it's not.
Speaker 2: You can't find it.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that you know, I wanted on every stat sheet at the end of the sheet that ought to have OPS allowed by that picture and ops allowed by the staff, and then OPS obviously is on the offensive side, and then the differential ought to be there. We ought to know that differential of hey, where are these teams live? I mean, just one more thing, aj Our White Sox had the worst differential. Let me find it. Our White Sox last year.
Speaker 5: I mean the worst.
Speaker 4: Wait, twenty or twenty four, that was twenty four. And by the way, they also lost the most games of all time, so I mean that's a big examples. Right, here's the difference there are ops difference offices.
Speaker 5: How many games they lost last.
Speaker 3: Year, That's right, it's amazing the wins and losses, how they match up to ops on the on the allowed side, that secret sauce, and how that difference is the standings.
Speaker 2: We're not even talking about wins and losses in college and in the big leagues. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: And so for that not to be out there, and even I'm embarrassed and saw all these other coaches they've never even heard of it.
Speaker 2: When I started talking to them about it.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about the top guys in college and we're all sitting there like, why weren't we thinking about this all along?
Speaker 2: And it's just it's like the forest through the trees, it's right there in.
Speaker 3: Front of our face, and uh, I mean, it's pretty obvious what's going on.
Speaker 1: So anyways, your parential trash lazy coach Moller the man, thanks for joining us. Great to have you on.
Speaker 2: Thank you rock Man, You guys crush it.