Speaker 1: This has shown me something podcast with Marriott Bonboy checking in and.
Speaker 2: We are live from the bracket.
Speaker 1: The tournament is upon us, sixty eight teams all dreaming of making it.
Speaker 3: To the final four, and we are right outside the JW Marriott here in Indianapolis, one.
Speaker 1: Of our favorite March Madness traditions, and.
Speaker 2: On this side of the hotel.
Speaker 3: This is quite literally the biggest bracket I've ever seen in my entire life.
Speaker 1: This bracket is forty seven thousand square feet and it covers eighteen floors here at the JW Marriott.
Speaker 3: It's made up of eight hundred different pieces, and by tip off of round one, it will have all sixty eight teams listed.
Speaker 1: As the results of the tournament unfold. The bracket is updated until a champion is crowned. Pictures don't do it justice. You got to come see it in person.
Speaker 3: We have an amazing show coming up and our guest is none other than Joel mcchale.
Speaker 4: Will be your guest. It's such a perfect design to tailgate. It is boats all best. Campbell's name was Mayhem. Yes, I'm in a lot of hotel duke basketball game with Ken Jeong.
Speaker 1: Let's come on our favorite game day stories. They don't always happen on the court. Sometimes they happen in the hotel lobby or over a pregame meal. And this March Madness, we have teamed up with Marriot Bomboy to share some of those memorable moments with you in a limited podcast series, Live from the Bracket. We're talking all things college hoops, travel and fandom with special guests and unforgettable experiences you can be a part of. Today, we are here at the Weston Hotel in Indianapolis. Western hotels and resorts are designed with your well being in mind. With more than two hundred destinations around the world, Weston makes it possible to keep up with your wellness routine while traveling, with signature amenities and offerings that help you move well, eat well, and sleep well. Western Hotels make travel an opportunity to enhance your well being, and with their iconic next generation Heavenly bed you can look forward to rest. Look at us prime examples how'd you sleep so good? As a good night sleep help you maintain your game day routine while on the road. Weston part of Mariatt Bonvoy were game day checks in.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 1: Hello everyone, come on now, Sophie, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: We are coming to you live from the Bracket in a new little beautiful studio built in the Weston in Indianapolis, in Indianapolis, home of me. But look how lovely is we have. We have NCAA trophies back there, the real ones.
Speaker 2: Let's not like, that's the real ones that they'll hold.
Speaker 1: So dial in.
Speaker 2: Can we also hit on that?
Speaker 3: Live from the Bracket is what we're doing with our podcast for March Madness with Mary bon Boy.
Speaker 1: Not only are we doing it with Mary bon Boy, it's a real thing that anyone can see with their own eyes from the whole state of Indiana. But the bracket looks great. It's massive.
Speaker 2: Wait can we I did not know this?
Speaker 3: So this is so cool because the bracket the eye looks tiny, but in real life it's like the size of west Like it is.
Speaker 1: It is a two six one. That being said, this is our first episode. And while we are here for our first episode in this beautiful Western our next guest will be Joel McHale and he'll be sitting right there next to Sophie. Not here yet, but we're excited.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's actually talk about this bracket.
Speaker 1: Sophie. As someone who's school did not make the Unstably tournament this year, I have no other choice but to channel my inner childhood and we'll be a Miszoo fan.
Speaker 2: Well, we barely made it. I was nervous.
Speaker 3: I wasn't thinking we were we were gonna make it. But I'm definitely right at Miszoo. Like, yeah, I love a good Cinderella store. And I'm not saying we're totally Cinderella story, but we're definitely underdogs. Yeah, and I'm I'm for it. I think we have I think we have some potential.
Speaker 1: Miszoom not a not a tournament team in my time, huh. They just I feel like every time as Us made the tournament, they choke, except for that year, Marcus didn't remember.
Speaker 2: Why did you even put that in the atmosphere.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just I'm just saying, like, if they're going to do something different, it would be good.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe we just needed your support finally to like bring the good vibes. They said, you said you're a vibe guy. Yeah, I'm mister vibes, So bring the good vibes.
Speaker 1: That's fine. Florida's a one seed obviously, Yeah, they've been good at basketball since we were little. Yeah, and Duke Duke. Yeah, but I just mean, you don't think of Florida as like a powerhouse basketball school, but they kind.
Speaker 4: Of have always been really good.
Speaker 1: I am an underdog guy for the tournament obviously, So like if a Duke or U and C play, I want I always want him out. I just we've talked about this so much, but how Inil's kind of changed what the tournament is. It's just harder to get a little school to the top when everyone's gone there after a good sophomore season.
Speaker 2: Wait, that is so true.
Speaker 3: So it's really if you win your conference is how kind of smallerish schools would get in.
Speaker 1: That is how you get in. But like I think teams used to make runs because they had seniors and juniors who were probably under recruited out of high school. Yeah, and then went to these mid major schools and like developed or grew or whatever in college and then had a good two or three guys with them. And now if someone say some dude's like six foot his senior of high school grows to like six three, like he's going to get stolen if he has a good freshman or sophomore year going to get stolen. Like, it's just a very different landscape, and I think it is objectively much more challenging for small schools to like build the team and develop a team that can make a tournament.
Speaker 2: Oh no, those are great perspective.
Speaker 1: In the spirit of how things have changed with college sports. And we were talking about it earlier, but like now these teams in the Big Ten are in California and they have to fly all over the country NonStop, like even in the regular season, So like maybe teams are more prepared for the weird travel.
Speaker 3: No, I feel like they're more prepared. I mean, and a lot of these people are used to the commercial flights.
Speaker 2: Now, staying at hotels.
Speaker 3: They're a routine, so it's not like it's anything crazy. I do think time zones, if you're not used to it could hit a little different, But if you're used to it, then it's not really a thing. I think Mazoo got lucky because they are playing in Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: It was two hours away from Columbia.
Speaker 1: You should give a PSA to Miszoo fans to show.
Speaker 3: Down to Saint Louis thousand percent, And I think they naturally will. They had a heavy fan base this year, so I think they're going to be just fine.
Speaker 1: Who are they playing Miami?
Speaker 3: Oh oh, and some tea on that so see what Young was actually an assistant coach for Mazoo under gates like his whole career, and now he's he's either the head coach of Miami or an assistant. So that's gonna be there's like some family family ties up in there.
Speaker 1: That's nice. Yeah, and we're also we mentioned this before, but how the women's tournament first two rounds are home games, so you you earn to play in your own gym with your own fans, whereas men's bracket, you don't get that opportunity if you're a top what would be an eight top eight seed? Has it always been that way ever since I've watched the women's tournament, they all there have been home games because Montana se obviously we're always like a fourteen or something and we always traveled for men it always I don't think that they've ever played home games. No, because they make such a big deal out of this city, like on Selection Sunday, the cities and like the regions are such a big part of these teams get chosen. So that's definitely been a thing forever. But it's fun. I like, at someone who loves geography, I like Selection Sunday to see what cities get to host and like what teams are probably going to a city that they've never played in before, like a part of the country that they don't get to play in. And if you're a player, it's probably fun if you played in the SEC your whole life and you get to go to like Seattle. Can I say.
Speaker 3: Something though, I think from experience being I went to four and CAA tournaments all four years, which is flex No, I'm not flexing.
Speaker 1: You can flex now.
Speaker 3: I don't want to flex. I'm just saying it's experience. This is like I'm saying, this is some validation. No, I will say, you would think that it would be cool to like go to a new state, new city, kind of new region ish area, and it almost is not like you kind of want in the in the tournament. You want experience matters. Records all go out the window, doesn't matter. Rankings go out the window. And so I think the only thing that really helps is when maybe you've been there before, you've played there before, you.
Speaker 1: Have some Oh yeah, that's what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I sucked out saying this word familiar familiar familiarity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you sophism.
Speaker 3: But I truly do think that that matters. And so my junior year we got sent out to Stanford and like that was the gym is different, the vibes are different on the West coast, like weird. We played a tournament in Phoenix one time and it's just like it's just different and weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So like if it was SEC team or in uh that kind of part of the nation, Like it was like, Okay, this is like my bread and butter, this is my home so pros and cons there well.
Speaker 1: And you're also again women's bracket. Your first two rounds, you're playing in the team you're playing's home environment, so like they're objectively more familiar and they have a home field home court advantage that teams in the first and second round in the instrument don't have.
Speaker 3: Wait, I also have another advantage. It could be an advantage or disadvantage in the tournament. SEC is known for like being the most athletic and like most physical, and so you get used to that type of.
Speaker 2: Play where you play at back in the day when I was.
Speaker 3: There a PAC twelve team and they're like super high IQ not physical, like very like and it is.
Speaker 1: It's difficult, just like different game styles totally.
Speaker 3: But it's different like can they match your physicality? Can you out q their IQ like it is?
Speaker 2: It's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: That's the beauty to me in like the tournament and just getting to play schools that you don't normally get to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like honestly SEC even in like the men's they're big and so there's a lot of post play where other conferences it's a lot of threes and layups.
Speaker 2: So it's like just the different style. That's kind of why I love marsh.
Speaker 3: Mannis though, just because you kind of get to see every team's bread and butter. Yeah, and if you can defend it or if you can play offense against it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did you ever play against any like super teams? You never played Yukon probably in the tournament, but did you play I guess you played in South Carolina and College South.
Speaker 3: They won it like pretty much every year when I was in college. I think we played Texas, who was ranked three or four that was super good Stanford when we were out there, Like we played a lot of good teams.
Speaker 1: I like to say one thing I liked about and again this is like this small school part of me. But getting to see the girls who I saw in the training room every day, and like these girls are still baller obviously, Yeah, get like get to see them play a national TV and like a super big moment. Obviously we didn't like go on any runs or anything, but it's still like the girls, you know, getting to watch them play on a stage that they don't always get to and like show the world like that they can ball. It was always fun to get to see, like my friends do that whenever because our one is actually actually super good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can we go into that real quick. This is a little sentimental.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is like.
Speaker 3: A big thank you, I would say, But we talk about the athletes always traveling across the nation to different states.
Speaker 2: Dude, yeah, thank you to the parents.
Speaker 3: Like the parents invest they travel, they work, and like their stuff hasn't paid for, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And so in like the they're going to say like training staff, coaches like TGA's.
Speaker 2: Mega fans, like that is a big deal.
Speaker 3: That I don't think they get enough credit and they don't get their flowers, but I do. When you were just talking about that, it really did like hit home. Like our parents or your guardians are people who just love you. They invest in a lot of time too. So when you make it to the Big Dance and you get to go to a new region, you get to do something different.
Speaker 1: So do they you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And like they worked just as hard for us to get there as we did. And so I hope that parents and guardians and fans embrace this march as much as the actual athletes, because this is a big deal for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't know the next time your team will go, So go to the game.
Speaker 3: Hey yeah, some people get spoiled, some pe will get spoil get spoiled, but also some people get jaded.
Speaker 1: I'll say my mom and my brother went to I think it was like maybe Omaha when MISSOI remember when Zoo was a two seed and lost to like Baskets basketball.
Speaker 3: George Mason or I don't think it's George Mason, but was it George Mason?
Speaker 1: Can we get it? Can we get a producer? Google? They were two seed and lost in the first round, but my mom and brother went. Yes, but my mom and brother were like, why would we ever go to a March Madness game again? Because they they they tried it and got just their hearts. Yeah, which is why.
Speaker 2: But how cool that you get to experience all the emotions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why sports are beautiful.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 1: A sneaky part with March Madness, but also any tournament is teams either playing before or after other teams and kind of like being in the same gym, and you get fans who were rooting for other fan bases because you're just in the same arena. Did you ever play before or after and have to like watch a team that you were going to play next?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I want to shout out in Mazoonation because everywhere we went everyone said that we had some of the nicest fans, Like our hospitality was amazing. And that's not just women's basketball. It was football, it was baseball, it was soccer, volleyball, Like, we just have some nice fans. You're like, you know, you go to other tailgates and whatnot, and you're trying to hang out and people like booh, but we are very welcoming and so I love that. But I will say I think especially on the women's side, we're just we just have to be like kind of a tighter knit community, you know, like.
Speaker 2: We got to help each other out a little bit.
Speaker 3: And so you would play and like even my my parents and my family, they would watch teams before us and be like, I really liked that player. I really like how that coach interacted with her players and coach the game, or you know.
Speaker 1: Just the culture of the team.
Speaker 3: And so you definitely create fans and like, especially if you lose, it's kind of hard to like.
Speaker 2: But you also, you know, give credit where it's toe.
Speaker 3: But for me as a player, I don't know if I necessarily was like, oh, that team was really nicer, I really want them.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, screw that team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're more like the other I'm.
Speaker 3: Too competitive, yeah, you know, but not in the I'm not like I hope you guys lose all that type stuff.
Speaker 2: I just hate to lose. You know.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite tournament memories ever when I worked at Bleacher Report, h remember Saint St. Peter's. This was just a tiny, tiny, tiny school in New Jersey, and they beat Kentucky, someone else big and then they beat Purdue. They made the Elite eight. I was on the floor with like a credential for the scheme, and they probably had like one section of fans, but the whole like the other teams in that city were like UCLA, You and c and Purdue.
Speaker 3: I don't think just that arena, but I think the whole nation became a fan of that.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, Like I love that. But yeah, part of the reason I probably all those fans are rooting for them is because they thought that it's an easier out when they got to play them. Yeah, go lost. I just remembering there. I mean, like none of these people in here are actual fans of this school, but they are so into this game and like rooting for the underdog and that that's an experience you wouldn't get on TV. No, that's like you have to be under the roof and like see it all come to life and feel that energy and that was dope. I actually can't believe it took me this long to bring that up, but that was like such a cool game to.
Speaker 2: Be at Loyola.
Speaker 3: When the nun became like totally March truly does sport in general, but I think there's just more on the line of March brings so many emotions and like you know, as the as the bracket is just starting, yeah, there's a lot of happy smiles, laughter, but also tears start happening. You just work so fricking hard every year, and like everyone's team truly has a journey in a special and has ups and downs. There's so many good things that happen in a season, regardless of the team.
Speaker 2: And so when it's over, I cried every.
Speaker 3: Single time, Yeah, because I'm just like, like you're you're just like you're exhausted, You're you're sad, You're you just want it so bad. But then I've also been on the other end on State yeah day no, no no.
Speaker 1: But it's also for Piece rock Bridgehi.
Speaker 3: But I will say, like I when we want it all to you still cry, Like that's just like emotion, just like your hard work is just huh regardless if you want are lost and it is sad.
Speaker 1: But that's why supports you are beautiful. Yeah, you can't appreciate sunshine without rain, okay.
Speaker 2: Or a blizzard outside in Indianapolis.
Speaker 1: Okay, Sophie, we are going to play hotel power rankings like this. Here's how it works. We're looking at a list of fifty travel related experiences in ranking our top five in order. You and I know each other well enough now that we know we like different things facts. You know what I mean. It's just some people something's hit harder than others. Like a hotel wall that hits so hard for my day.
Speaker 2: I have never heard of that.
Speaker 1: It's so hard for my day.
Speaker 2: I never heard of that.
Speaker 1: And like I know a pool with no one else in it that's going to be in your top five thousand, you know. Okay, so my top five. Here we go, coming in at number five, opening the blackout curtains to a great view. I think it's so it really brings your spirits up. It could be could it be a mountain side? Could it be the Las Vegas Strip? It just sets the tone.
Speaker 3: Think about it, like when you have a good view, you appreciate it and it makes you feel like you're a part of that city.
Speaker 2: Thousand percent.
Speaker 1: You know, number four O West in Heavenly Bed. The reason I don't have eyebags today is because they just slept on one three hotel Jim. I think when you're on the road a lot. Sometimes the only thing you can do to feel better is move around, move your bod inclined walker, pump some iron and renovated. Yeah, matters love powerful hotel shower. I don't think it's my number two. I don't know. We talk about it enough as a society, how important water pressure is to having a good day. And that can be a good overhead. It really sets the tone. Get clean and you feel fresh.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: And my number one, as you would expect, AC a perfectly cold ac after a hot day. I need it, I need it, I need it. So that's mine.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to start with number five, and it was pool with nobody else in it, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I would like to say when you're out there by yourself and you can just like be in your thoughts, sun is beaming on you, the water temperature probably feels so nice e specs on a hot day. But I do appreciate when other people are at the pool too. I do like to people watch, I do like to talk, but you know, after a busy day, sometimes you just want to be alone in your thoughts. Getting a tan number four, perfectly cold AC after hot day love really?
Speaker 1: Okay, God, I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't sleep when it's hot in my room. Oh, I definitely cannot do that.
Speaker 1: Wait, I'm glad to know that about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always saw you liked being hot at all times, and I thought it was kind of weird. You know that'd be horrible, Okay, I appreciate that. Horrible.
Speaker 2: No, okay. Number three charging ports everywhere.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: Come on, think about this if you if you do not have one next to your bed or in the bathroom that's convenient at the desktop, like, not having a charging port where you need it is frustrating because then you're like sitting in a weird spot you want to be laying in bed Like that's I think that's a lost.
Speaker 1: I was going to push back on you, but I'm not gonna.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want I don't. I agree you explained it in a way that kind of flipped me in real time.
Speaker 3: Number two powerful hotel shower. I absolutely love that, but I'm going to add on to it. I prefer when there's a door on the shower because I like my showers like steamy hot.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be cold, and like having to be under the hot water because it's cold. So that's that's kind of a must on mine.
Speaker 1: Are you going to sneak in good products help love a good champoo Kendash body wash, Yes, so you don't have.
Speaker 3: To use that, and like take up space when you are traveling, so that is a must. And then my number one a massive king bed. Oh all by yourself.
Speaker 1: So if you walk into a room and there's two queens.
Speaker 2: I can do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And honestly, if I have two queen beds, then I'm going to put my luggage on one of them, sleep on the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And like if I'm traveling with like Lindsay, my sister or someone, we actually sleep in the same queen bed, we do a luggage bed and like we sleep in the other one.
Speaker 2: But you know, nothing's like a.
Speaker 3: Good cozy king bed with good pillows, a good like sheet cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a must.
Speaker 1: More aligned you and I than I thought we'd be. Actually, that's fine.
Speaker 3: A good bathroobe that's on there. I almost put that in my top five.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, we are so excited to have Joel McHale on the podcast. We're gonna talk to him about his love for Washington, sports, love traveling with family, places he's always wanted to go that he's never been to. And this is timed up perfectly with the March madness excitement. People are chriss crossing all over the country to go watch their favorite team. So let's talk to Joel about it.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, welcome to the Bond the Marriotte Bunvoy Show Me Something podcast. I will be your guest.
Speaker 1: Well, oh, then she just did it for us the NCAA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are for some reason way back here.
Speaker 2: I'll kiss this one.
Speaker 1: I did it all right. Well no, it's just a beautiful set. Now it's even more pretty. But do you prefer to go by actor, comedian, host, former U dub football player.
Speaker 4: If you could include that every time you introduce me, I will, that would be great, all of them.
Speaker 1: But in all seriousness, thank you for coming.
Speaker 4: It was great to run across the frozen tundrum that became Indianapolis in the last two days.
Speaker 1: In honor of our two extra guests. These trophies real quick. It is one of the most anticipated events of the year.
Speaker 4: As we all know, it's so many teams to keep tract of. Yeah, so I love that first moment. Like this weekend, it's one of my favorite weekends because it's just happening all the time everywhere. You can't walk outside your house, but they're like, what's happening over there, Oh, there's a NCAA Tournament's happening in your neighbor's house right now. It's great because it's just it's such a perfect design to get it all making sure there's all sorts of teams that are screwed out of yeah being there and some shouldn't be there all that round.
Speaker 1: No, I think the perfect design comment actually is a beautiful way to put it, because it is like the original, pure, single elimination big tournament in all of sports that now college football is kind of trying to like work their way into it, but like everything is always changed, March madness pure.
Speaker 3: But I think that's why people look forward to it because they know exactly what they're going to get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like also it's a disaster at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. What's got your attention coming out of selection Sunday Men's or women's vibes Cities.
Speaker 3: I think I'm clearly a big SEC fan, and I feel like we on the men's side have a ton of teams that are going to be in it.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Zoo, I'm surprised we got in, but we got in. Come on, maybe cinerlar story a little bit. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Women's side, I feel like it's a little different because if your sixteen seed is barely ever going to be anything higher than like an eight, I don't know, And.
Speaker 2: So I don't know about the women. I don't know who I want to win there.
Speaker 4: But let's just go within the University of Washington's Dogs Go Dogs.
Speaker 2: Is that who you have one in it?
Speaker 4: Yes, we've actually.
Speaker 1: Been talking a lot about how being loyal.
Speaker 4: Know how important being was if we're paid, if my school is in it, then yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that you were a tight end, like you played college ball like football.
Speaker 4: I have constantly tell people, but yeah, because not us, because people.
Speaker 2: Don't know tight end is like you're a big boy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I didn't play. I was awesome at practicing and making the defense feel terrific about how they were doing. I would just burst out crying and we're like, why would you do that?
Speaker 1: That hurts so much.
Speaker 4: I was very large.
Speaker 1: At the time, growing up in Washington. Did you ever consider any other school?
Speaker 4: I applied to Santa Clara because they had an acting program in Santa Clara in the tournament for the first time in thirty years. Proud Canadian and he So I applied to a few schools on the West coast, nowhere else and like the University of San Francisco they used to have a really great basketball program and now they're back. But it was just growing up was like you dub or yeah or and I just kind of was like, that's where I want to go. And I was recruited to row at you Dub.
Speaker 3: Out of all like the colleges, campuses and fan bases that you've either played in front of or visited, what is one that you think people should add to their travel list.
Speaker 4: The University of Washington that you really have you it is the most beautiful setting for a game. The tailgate is boats boats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sale gate.
Speaker 4: So you yeah, sale gate ups.
Speaker 1: It's pretty crazy And.
Speaker 4: If you all show you the photos, it's I did not know that I do.
Speaker 1: I would like to give you Dub a shout out in the sense I think a lot of major universities that are in big cities don't actually get very good fandom just because there's so much other stuff going on. But the University of Washington in Seattle, I feel like, despite being in a map said metropolitan area with so much else going on, still gets much, much, much love.
Speaker 3: I love that those things in our ways we can't know, we can't, but it's.
Speaker 4: Through Where is Sophie? Oh, right through the window? You know, I get it get I like the first.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is yes, this is that horrifies me.
Speaker 4: Look yeah, people over there.
Speaker 1: Going, oh god, this is good. This is good.
Speaker 4: We've come to the point in your podcast where we have to return the trophies to their beloved table. Yeah, we did it.
Speaker 1: This is good.
Speaker 3: How far would you travel for your team to go watch in person?
Speaker 2: Front row popcorn?
Speaker 1: Yeah you dubbed Final four? Would you go?
Speaker 4: How far go to Mars?
Speaker 2: Would you really?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Great?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll travel endlessly.
Speaker 4: Yeah I do. I am gone. I have all the miles and uh no, if if you dub was in the Final four, I would go.
Speaker 1: Were you as you go? When they played Michigan in Houston.
Speaker 4: I did not. I was working at the time, so I couldn't get out of work. There's been a number of things like that where I'm like.
Speaker 1: Oh, but your job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like with animal Control when it's going we're doing sixteen narrow days and it's so I'll zip down to Seattle for maybe at night, but it's exhausting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in your lifetime, what's the deepest the Huskies have made it in the tournament?
Speaker 4: In my lifetime? That left shrimp got them to the elite eight.
Speaker 2: Clearly, you travel a lot.
Speaker 4: I do a lot of travel, which is great.
Speaker 3: Hotels, planes, no buses, trains, walking trains, RVs.
Speaker 1: Bike, swimming, trains.
Speaker 4: Can you usually stay on the train, canoe. Yes, I'm in a lot of hotels and a lot of it's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you host the SPS, which is like around.
Speaker 4: I hosted the SP's. That was super fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that's a big deal.
Speaker 4: That was extremely nerve wracking and wonderful. And so when you walked out, you see you see all the it's like some weird wax museum of your favorite athletes, and you're like, oh, everybody's here, and as you know, they really want that's super competitive. They're they're pissed if they're not winning. What city was that in? Los Angeles? That was in l a Yeah, that was a good That was a good one.
Speaker 1: When you're traveling on the road and obviously we all know how exhausting that that can be. Do you feel like, because you're traveling in a city that you don't always get to spend time in that you're you owe the city a little night out to go to a restaurant, go like find a drink somewhere and kind of experience it.
Speaker 4: Or you feel like I owe the city the city?
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love like the second I got here from looking at coffee shops and eater and I'm like, what's what's happening here? And I went for a walk last night.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: I almost froze to death. It was I was almost lost. Yes, they would have just never seen it.
Speaker 1: Were you tour bussing or you fly?
Speaker 4: I fly, I'm not like for chser level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're not just a commute like you do so much other stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't tell us what you're doing. Do you have like three great shows like like what are you doing right now?
Speaker 2: For? Sorry?
Speaker 4: What the heck? Cream seven just came out? What's your role?
Speaker 1: Are you abowing to tell us?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It came out two weeks ago, so that cat's out of the back. Okay, I play a cat in the back?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 4: Uh? No, I played Campbell's husband. But you're watching Animal Control, right, guys? Absolutely on Fox and you work with three animals. We do Netflix, Hulu is.
Speaker 1: There a person's job that like has to fly in and they're in charge of how you interact.
Speaker 4: With They're locally based in Vancouver and they have a lot of exotic and non exotic animals. The only time I was really scared was when I got on top of a It's a young camel named Mayhem from Calgary. The cambell's name was Mayhem, and I was like, why isn't camel named Mayhem? Yeah, no saddle And they're like, hey, if he takes off, just hold on. But just to know he's having a good time.
Speaker 1: You ran to Calgary. I have rocks.
Speaker 4: Calgary is great. Calgary rocks really good French food in Calgary because all those French we are up there.
Speaker 1: Has a lot of French influence. They do more than we do.
Speaker 4: I would agree. They got an entire part of their country that speaks French.
Speaker 1: Do you have time to travel internationally?
Speaker 4: I tried to as i'd love to, and sometimes for work it is overseas, which is great. But I'm just about to take the family on Saturday to Japan, the best. I've been there once and I was like, I got to get back here as soon as I came.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's such a cliche to talk about how cool Japan is, but it is so awesome. What's your schedule, Like, what are you guys hitting?
Speaker 4: We're doing Tokyo, yeah, five days, and then Kyoto for another five and we're going to Mount Fuji, so we're doing a lot of tourist things. But I'm like, great, we haven't seen it before, so let's go. Yeah, that's the best trip you'd ever take. I'm very excited. I'm going to eat like its career.
Speaker 1: And then read real quick. You're born in Rome, Born in Rome. What were your parents doing? I don't know.
Speaker 4: They were My dad was everyone's like were they in the military and the CIA? No, my dad was the dean of students at Loyola University Rome Center, which is part of chic Loyal in Chicago and uh, and then my mom was a student at Loyal University of Room Center because she her dad, my grandfather got a job with the un regulating fish populations around the world. Let that sink in.
Speaker 1: Yes, So do you feel a tie to Italy?
Speaker 4: Very loosely, but I I really like when I'm there, I get I tear up and get emotional. And then my aunt and uncle and cousins still live there. They moved out of Rome to Tuscany, but uh so they yeah, they're Then then a bunch of my cousins live in uh London, and then the others live in Nairobi. So it's all they're all over the place. Mikhail is Irish, don't know, yes, so okay, and then the other side of me is Norwegian.
Speaker 3: Wait do you love actually because you get to travel all over the place seriously, and that's like super cool.
Speaker 4: I travel almost every weekend. I mean you grab me, you know. But it's yeah, of our schedules partly routine, and so once if you get to the hotel and they're like, which like a complimentary beverage, and I was like, yes, it.
Speaker 1: Is hard when travels a part of your career, it makes it hard to always enjoy it. But when you when everything's set up for you and it's nice and it's perfect it's dreamy.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna say, what is like your dream vacation spot. Are you more of a beach person? Are you more of a snow I'm not.
Speaker 4: Kidding being here in Indiana, I'm not kidding when I say this. In any like, I've been going pretty it's been pretty exhausting last few day. So I got here and I it was great, went out for dinner and then I slept all night, which and it was I was like, oh, you're well rested. It so it was like a night. I was like, oh, this is like a vacation. Yeah, and went to the gym. It was great. So they like when I get those one day like those one days, I'm like, ah, recuperated.
Speaker 3: So your dream vacation is not necessarily a location, it's if you get rest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how about you.
Speaker 3: So this is where we differ and we joke about this all the time. I'm more like, I need a beach sun.
Speaker 2: I need it.
Speaker 3: I need that type of vibe, maybe margarite in my hand. And so I'm very much like a water boat pool person.
Speaker 4: So right now, if you're walking out.
Speaker 3: I got Fiji, Bora, Turks and Caicos even just like a simple Florida, anywhere with a beach and like sun Ryan get a tan say less.
Speaker 2: That's my my dream because.
Speaker 1: You have bucket list places that you haven't been that you want to go, but then you also have places that were such a good experience you are itching to go back.
Speaker 2: But I like it.
Speaker 1: I just like being in like a fun city where there's energy and people and you meet people from other places. Cape down to that because on my list right now, I would love to do that. But I the older I've gotten, the more I've appreciated hotels because I used to always try to crash with a friend or you just forget how nice it is to have your bed made for you somebodys or like have stuff put away.
Speaker 3: Yeah see, I've never been one to like crash with people, but I because of how much we travel, I appreciate. I become a hotel snob. I appreciate a really really nice hotel.
Speaker 4: I feel like a kid because I'm like, oh I get to relax.
Speaker 1: Yeah wait, how do you travel?
Speaker 3: Like what are your esentils and things that you're just like, Okay, I don't need that, like when you're packing, when you're doing that.
Speaker 4: Oh ear plugs. I'm asked for the flight ear plugs. Oh yeah, your plugs are like headphones ear plug and some sort of tablet.
Speaker 1: Shows to watch movies, shows.
Speaker 4: And play video tennis. Really yeah, I play big of a tennis fan. You were big tennis fan, and I play eight bit football as well.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite tennis van you in the world.
Speaker 4: I mean, Indian Wells is one of the best. Looks beautiful, it's so great, and there's courts everywhere. They let you play if you want. There's a sushi I mean like they have great food. But I got to go to the French Open.
Speaker 2: And have you been to the Australian Open.
Speaker 1: I've never heard.
Speaker 4: That's that's the I would love to. I got to.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a bucket list maybe, especially if you're a big tennis fan.
Speaker 2: There is awesome.
Speaker 4: Yes, I would, And it's ruckus. As I was saying, New York is wonderfully ruckous, beautiful facility, hard to go.
Speaker 2: I'm the only one who's left out. I think I need to make that a bucket list for me.
Speaker 4: It's great, really and it's yeah and uh, but the French is right in Paris, so you can it's and it's just there and it's not big, and you're like, oh, this is where the French are open happens?
Speaker 1: What are their sports? Like, Okay, you're a tennis guy, so all those championships are kind of their own spectacles. You've done the Super Bowl, yep. Anything that you haven't done that you like really want to do.
Speaker 4: I'd like to go to a Duke basketball game with Ken Jong. See yeah, yeah, he's a huge and so like to see. Now Ken's going to get a compliment, but he's like the king of Duke and so he goes to those games. And so I was like, Ken, someday we get to go this sea. We are pretty best decently we've when we met on community, we fell in love.
Speaker 2: Really is he.
Speaker 4: Expect him to be yes? And I'm saying that measured because Ken is also a doctor.
Speaker 3: Imagine if he was Duke's team doc.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it would be you.
Speaker 2: I would go to do just for that.
Speaker 4: We just get injured and just be like, oh my elbow dream.
Speaker 2: Sporting Okay, I'm kind of weird.
Speaker 3: I want to go to I don't even know what it's called, but I want to go to like the best surfing competition in the world.
Speaker 4: I don't know, because you would get everything you want. You would get the beach, the beach, and then there would be a sporting.
Speaker 3: Sport like I just and it's just like a sport that you don't necessarily get to see on TV as much or like it's not as accessible to people, and I think that would just be super cool.
Speaker 4: I mean that's yeah, I'm on I'm on board with that.
Speaker 2: What about you.
Speaker 1: I'm one of the Kentucky Derby for the first time this year and that's I surprise you haven't bet. No, I got to put a lot into this outfit. I get you.
Speaker 4: I know I'm to go like this. No, no, we're not you you need like a three piece suit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I'll be ready.
Speaker 4: We love to come with you. Thank you for the invite.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 4: See you there. I would like to go to a professional bowling match, which I've never been to.
Speaker 1: Professional darts is like I.
Speaker 4: Would love to go to a professional dart out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's wild. So that's next for us. Three.
Speaker 4: Do you guys play darts? No, I mean I'll do it at the bar like I got into darts big time in college.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joel, thank you for being Thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Guys, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Before we go, we got to tell you all about the amazing sweeps we got going.
Speaker 2: Marriott.
Speaker 3: Bonboy is giving away a pair of tickets to twenty twenty six and twenty twenty seven Final four to enterfer a chance to win head to at show me Something on Instagram and comment on Live from the Bracket post related to the sweepstakes. Be sure to include the hashtag Live from the Bracket in our caption to be eligible. Full details in the episode description Don't miss It Nope. Purchase necessary. Open to legal residents of the fifty US States or DC who are at least eighteen years old as of the date of entry ins April fifteenth, twenty twenty six. Rules at Rules dot dja dot com slash Live from the Bracket