Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Chuck here. If you're wondering why you have suddenly ten new episodes in your feed, this is because we thought we might group things together and try a little playlist here for the summer and see how it went. And in this case, we're covering some of our movies or movies in general. And I am setting up our semi recent episode from Oh, I guess it's not that recent. It's from April twenty eleven on exploitation films and how they work. It was a really fun one to do. And if you love cinema and you love movies, and if you love exploitation movies especially, you're gonna love this episode. So please enjoy. Welcome to Stuff you should know from HowStuffWorks dot com.
Speaker 2: Hang on there, fella, Oh yes, I know what we're doing.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, get us going here.
Speaker 2: Well, Chuck, the other night you may have noticed. I know you did, because I watched you watch this just kind of creepy but not really. You and I were on TV, Yeah, on the Science Channel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did the little shorts and we're actually proud of how these turned out, which is a rarity for us when there's a camera.
Speaker 2: It is, so we have more shorts coming up on Science Channel. They're running Saturdays and Sundays until I think the first week of May or something, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, and now that they're all running between ten and ten thirty now supposedly during the shows I think on Saturdays, this is Oddities, which is an awesome and weird show it is, and then Sundays, which is Firefly, which is everyone loves Firefly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I actually consider it an honor to be played during Firefly. Yeah, me too, even though the cast of Firefly has no idea that this is going on because it's pre recorded.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Josh, So this what'sa day Thursday obviously, yeah, Saturday and Sunday night this weekend. Yeah, on the Science Channel. That is the Science Channel, it's part of the Discovery Networks between ten and ten already, set your little DVR and then look, they run during the commercial breaks, or.
Speaker 2: If you're not so fancy that you have a DVR, you can actually watch it as it happens.
Speaker 1: That's right. And we are able to run a few of these online. Now I'm not the ones that are on TV, but there are three funny ones if you know how to navigate to the video page of HowStuffWorks dot Com. Do that, or you can just type in how stuff Works video and to Google and it'll take you straight to the video page.
Speaker 2: You could also search stuff you should know, Colon large hadron collider, stuff you should know, Colon body farms and stuff you should know, Colon mirror, neurons on a search engine and it should take you right there.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And if it doesn't, you tell us and we will talk to those search engines.
Speaker 1: And if you just get to the video page, you can search stuff you should know in search videos and it'll bring up that in a couple of other little funny things we've done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's it. We just take like ten minutes onto this episode.
Speaker 1: I know. We appreciate your support. Who mine, No, oh, everyone that wants to watch these okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, so are you ready? Okay, hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh Clark, There's Charles W. Chuck Bryant. This is Stuff you should know the podcast and kind of a special edition. Frankly, I am a little excited, Chuck, I'm a little giddy.
Speaker 1: Shut your mouth.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, okay, sure, all right, this is this is our first ever movie centric podcast, right.
Speaker 1: Movie centric for sure. Yeah, we've mentioned movies of course all the time, but this one is like, this.
Speaker 2: Is all about movies. So this is by popular request to an extent. People want to see, like, they want to hear us talk about movies and just do a movie podcast. So we decided to focus on exploitation films. Right. This is also probably the first podcast that we're going to say, if you are a teacher of children in eighth grade or younger, and you're using this as a teaching tool, you might want to go to the one before this or the one after. We don't generally try to alienate audiences. We're not attempting to now. It's just a natural byproduct of the exploitation film.
Speaker 1: Can't talk about exploitation films without talking about some lurid subject matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't say exploitation without ploit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they weren't exploiting, just people being nice, right, niceploitation.
Speaker 2: So, Chuck, I went and saw a movie the other day called I Saw the Devil. It's a Korean movie. It's by the guy who did the Tale of Two Sisters.
Speaker 1: I think Oh, he said more violent than Old Boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the guy old Boy is one of the main characters. And I've seen old Boy. I've seen what's the other one he did, the vampire movie, Yeah, Thirst, So I think it's pretty good. It was okay, this one is it's the most violent thing I've ever seen in my life. It's the most graphically violent movie I've ever seen in my life. The only the only reason, like I was able to complete is because I'm like, this is it's a movie, I know, but I walked out of it like it's so over the top, it's so gory. It's clearly an exploitation film.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the problem is is, like, really, if you start to look around, John Hughes, films technically are exploitation films. The Breakfast Club is technically an exploitation film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a big wave of teen exploitation films, and we'll get to that, but yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: So one of the broader definitions of exploitation films is basically anything that's really like over the top, that is beyond reality, or that maybe focuses on people's fears, their sexuality and basically just kind of serves it up in a larger than life manner. That's one way of looking at exploitation films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're basically they're exploiting some of the seedier aspects of humanity most times.
Speaker 2: Sure, like murder or sex, like weird sex, that kind of thing, sexed.
Speaker 1: Sex, teenagers rebelling against parents.
Speaker 2: Sure, like a weird science. Have you ever been to a party where a couch shot out of the chimney and into the pond? I mean, it's a pretty nice party. I don't think it's ever really happened, you know. So that's the vast definition of exploitation. But you and I are kind of qualified to teach a cinema class at like maybe a low level community college at this point after the amount of research we've done in this sure, and we found that academically there's a there's a much more distinct definition for exploitation, and it's seemingly interchangeable term grindhouse.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, what's the Is there a definition definition?
Speaker 2: It's more like a timeframe. Okay, So from like nineteen nineteen when they really first started making movies to I think nineteen sixty nineteen fifty nine when the Hayes Act went away, that was exploitation, and then after that it became Grindhouse. Okay, gotcha, it's my understanding. Okay, so let's do this all right.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the old joke. Was that in the awesome documentary American Grindhouse, which documents this this era of filmmaking. Yeah, the old joke, one of the guys says, is that exploitation films began five minutes after the camera was invented, the motion picture camera.
Speaker 2: Because the guy was like the directors like to his girlfriend, hey, would you mind taking your clothes off or the camera exactly?
Speaker 1: So it says something about the human condition that you invent the film camera, and the first moving images were often lurid Edison's film. It showed clips of like decapitations and violence and guys fighting, yeah, and knit naked women as film tests. So it's just that says a lot about people, like, all right, now we know how to capture things, so let's capture sex and violence right first.
Speaker 2: Right, And although that really kind of jibed with public tastes, or at least public fascination, it didn't jibe with the prevailing standards. They agreed upon standards, right.
Speaker 1: Right, I think he said nineteen nineteen. But the first exploitation film was nineteen thirteen. Oh, okay, Trafficking Souls or While New York Sleeps, right, and that, like you said, exploitation often plays into fears. That played into the fear at the time of the white slave trade. Budget of fifty seven grand and gross four hundred and fifty thousand dollars, which nineteen thirteen. It's a lot of dough.
Speaker 2: That is a ton of though, And.
Speaker 1: That was Universal Pictures and they went, hey, going on to something here.
Speaker 2: Right after that was released the Hayes Code. Will Hayes was the Postmaster General and Presbyterian elder and he was making one hundred grand a year during the depression.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable, right.
Speaker 2: He basically said, like, look, we need we need to apply some moral standards to filmmaking. There's decapitation, there's naked breast, there's white slavery, Like we need to pure this up, right.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, there wasn't nudity yet like those early test films. There were, but nudity. We'll get to that later, okay, But yes, that's what Hayes tried to do. And like prohibition didn't exactly quell drinking, the Hayes Code actually sort of gave rise to the exploitation movement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like just like prohibition, just like marijuana prohibition, just like well any drug prohibition. Anytime you say you can't do this, you can't have something that you want, the somebody else is going to operate in a black market. A black market's going to bring up simple economics. Yeah, and that's exactly what happened, and that's where exploitation cinema came up. It's like, you can't get this from Hollywood because Hollywood has to play by the rules. But my production studio is my model t and let's go make this movie. Give me some money. I'm going to film a child being born close up and put it in the movies.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can do that. You can make your movies all day long, but if they're never exhibited, then what good are you doing or not? Like they were trying to do some good, but you're not making any scratch. So the forty thieves they talk about in the documentary were these filmmakers and exhibitors basically that traveled around like carnies, setting up these sort of gorilla film screenings and some places sort of out of the way where they can't get caught. And that was for the first time, you know, they were taking films outside of the main stream.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Different. Sometimes they weren't even theaters. They would show them like VFW halls if you want to go see Birth of a Baby films. Apparently they were popular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a whole genre, early genre of exploitation.
Speaker 1: Well, and so was early on a lot of the film centered around like how to wear a condom in these sex hygiene films.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there was no information about that out there, and so exploitation filmmakers, whether disingenuously or genuinely, were ending their stuff like this is a public service. People need to know this, right and making movies about it. But also and people were going on that excuse as well, like well, I need to know about this, But at the same time, it's like I want to see this the craziest thing I'll ever see in my life exactly, you know, on screen.
Speaker 1: Or they argued a lot of times that they were cautionary tales. If they were about drugs or violence, they would say, hey, this could happen to you. Yeah, so you should educate yourself. But what they really want to do is get.
Speaker 2: Their movie scene and make some money exactly.
Speaker 1: Paramount decision of nineteen forty eight. This is pretty big. This Supreme Court voted that movie studios could no longer own their own movie theaters. At the time, you know, there would be like the Paramount Theater in Hollywood from the Paramount Film production Company. They would show their movies. Supreme Court said no more, and all of a sudden, exploitation films became a little bit more legit because the Hayes Code kind of fell apart. Yeah, and this is post World War two, so.
Speaker 2: People had seen a lot of death recently, well a lot.
Speaker 1: Of death, and then they thought ladies in suggestive roles were good for morale. And there was a little bit of loosening on the sex thing a little bit post World War two.
Speaker 2: Enough that led to another subgenre of exploitation film, the nwdest colony film, which were pawned off as documentaries. A lot well most of these were pawned off as document documentaries, which legitimized them, but really it was maybe it actually was film that a news camp. Probably not. Mostly there were actors and actresses just engaged in archery naked or long walks naked.
Speaker 1: There could be no sex.
Speaker 2: Still that was still no taboo, but it was just like naked pretty people right at a newdist colony, which is interesting because you're not a nudist, so come learn about them exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: After that, through the history we had things like the teen like you said, the teen Rebellion of the fifties with the rebel thought of Cause and Blackboard Jungle and movies like that all of a sudden were targeted specifically at teens, which was new, and then drive in theaters were built so teenagers could see movies where their parents weren't going to be. Apparently the adults didn't go to drive ins a lot at first. Oh yeah, it's all kids.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: So they showed exploitation films and then later the beach films, which were marketed as it's silly, it's Frankie avalon, but they were decidedly weird and overtly sexual sometimes.
Speaker 2: And then chuck, if you'll notice, we're kind of progressing along in this chronological order, and each thing is kind of being built on the last.
Speaker 1: It was very much a step process, right.
Speaker 2: And apparently that was kind of the form that exploitation filmmaking followed until nineteen sixty it was just it was centered around drugs, violence, sex, and in a lot of ways they were presented as documentaries. They might not have a plot, and basically it was one person would make some film and it would just break all the rules, and then a bunch of other people would make similar films, right and the same. That was the way it went. And then in the nineteen sixties things just started to go every which way, all sorts of directions. Right, So nudity nudy films were a long standing thread of exploitation films and then they probably reached their pinnacle with Russ Myers, right, King of the Nudies is what he's called.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was the first guy to He's significant because he was the first director to have films featuring nudity that actually were dramatic narratives and had plots and characters, and they weren't classified as documentaries anymore. And then the Roughies came along and they offered up violence for the not first time, but big time for the first time. Right, And that has a lot to do with the fact that there was the sixties and Kennedy was shot and the United States was just becoming increasingly violent.
Speaker 2: America lost its innocence. Yeah, and the other thing that really happened in the nineteen sixties was the Hayes Coote officially won away, was replaced by the MPAA and the I guess the long standing prohibition on Hollywood producing exploitation films was it was lessened decreased, and so studios were like, oh, we can make money over here too, Well, let's start making exploitation films right, And this is where grindhouse was born. So my cinema professor definition of grindhouse is big budget, studio backed exploitation films. Okay, okay, yeah, that's that's mine.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be a quiz question later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll go with that. Actually, back up one second. We got to mention Herschel Gordon Lewis. He was a director who had a Codre. I can't remember the other guys named you. Anyway, he was a co director and he was one of these exploitation guys that was getting frustrated because there weren't a lot of places to show your movie. So it was a pretty crowded marketplace. So he said, what's the one taboo that like people will pay to see that you're allowed to show in theaters, but that studios won't make. And it was Gore. Oh yeah, he was the first guy to start showing really disgusting bloody scenes in his movie uh, blood Feast, Blood Feast, Yeah, which actually was three years after Psycho, and Psycho also did a lot for the mainstream ushering in of sure, a little bit of Gore in that, but well there's like a.
Speaker 2: Shot of blood following Janet Lee's murder, you know, which is I imagine it's pretty graphic for Hollywood, and that's what you think of You're like, oh, those stupid sixties, but that's you know, there were so naive like that was controversial, not really though, Like if you stepped just slightly outside of Hollywood, you ran into things like Blood Feast, right, or you know Last House on the Left. Yes, well that's nineteen seventy two, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wes Craven. So that was important because all of a sudden, a drugs started, well three things. Political themes started popping up, right, sexual freedom, the youth generation. Drugs started popping up in movies for the first time, drug use, well not for the first time, we'll talk about reefer madness. Yeah, but teenagers were depicted as victims of violence for the first time, like Last House on the Left I believe is kind of regarded as the first teen slasher film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wes Craven, it was almost a snuff film. It was almost regarded like that.
Speaker 1: It's pretty hardcore.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it definitely blood Feasts definitely allowed Last House on the Left to come around, but it also probably more directly formed the foundation for slasher exploitation like Friday the Thirteenth or Nightmare on Elm Street. Absolutely, My Bloody Valentine's another big one. Crazy great, yeah, crazy. Oh yeah, that was an original, right, there's a remake now.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, yeah, remakes. So that brings us We're in the seventies, politically charged movies brought race into the to the mix, and all of a sudden, we had black exploitation or black exploitation movement starting exploiting the civil rights movement basically. But the cool thing about black exploitation films is for the first time you had African Americans as heroes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and not heroes in a typical sense, not even anti heroes, but heroes that were like They didn't ride into town on a white horse or wearing a white hat. They very clearly wore black hats. If need be, like they would engage in crime, they would murder people, if nimbi they were. They were basically like the face of black America coming out of the Civil Rights are like, we're ticked off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and we're gonna stick it to the white man to get to the man, and we're gonna do it in these movies.
Speaker 2: Chuck, I know the movie you're about to mention. Let's this is it.
Speaker 3: You keep the faith in me, You my man, You're my favorite man.
Speaker 1: Can so Yes. That was a landmark film for a lot of reasons. One because it grows four million bucks and it made the major studio say, hey, you know what the black hero is marketable?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you haven't said the title yet.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, you gotta say it right too.
Speaker 1: Melvin Van Peebles film Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song.
Speaker 2: Nice, That was well done. That was nineteen seventy one. Men Van Peebles, whose last name may sound familiar. He's the father of Mario van Peebles. For your younger cats listening to this one.
Speaker 1: Cats all right, age actually younger cats because he's kind of like, okay, so cats A, yeah, that's Mario Van Peebles's dad, you know, New Jack City. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So Melvin Van Peebles made this movie. He produced it, he raised the money for it, he wrote it, he directed it, he starred in it. And it was the beginning of the blaxploitation subgenre, which is one of the most important genres of any American cinema absolutely ever, absolutely, and so considering how important that subgenre is, this quote from Time Magazine's film critic Richard Corliss should really hit home. Sweet Sweet Back is quote, without question or competition, the most influential movie by a black filmmaker. So this is a really big deal, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: And it was. It was just quickly on the plot. It was about a black man who was a jiggielow.
Speaker 2: Who, which is a male prostitute for you younger cats.
Speaker 1: And he had a deal worked out with the cops where he was he said, you know, you can arrest me as much as you want, release me right after fill your quota. It's all good. And then one day, while the arrest is going down, the cops attack a black panther, and Sweet Sweet Back kills one of the cops and then just says he just goes on a rampage against the white man after that.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: So you've got prostitution, tons and tons of nudity and sex, lots of violence, and other crimes all wrapped up into a black power theme.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And then to top it all off, you have what is arguably a child sex scene starring Mario van People's melvivv People's son at I think age six, having sex as Sweet Sweetback. It's his first sexual encounter with an older person. And in the cult podcast, if he became a cult leader, he would have taken a younger bride. Remember, Oh yeah, that's right. So if you're interested in that movie and you can't get enough of Sweet sweetbacks bad Ass song, you could also check out bad Ass exclamation Point, which is Mario van Peebles's biopic about his father making that movie. That's right.
Speaker 1: And I have not seen that, but I wanted to at the time, and it just sort of subp at the cracks.
Speaker 2: There's always Netflix, baby, that's right.
Speaker 1: And what happened with Sweet Sweetback was that, like I said, that told the studios, hey, that we can market this, and so they got a little more mainstream with movies like Superfly, which were a little safer shaft shaft movies at wide audiences would enjoy as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ones that didn't scare the man exactly like Scheft's a good guy. He doesn't take any guff from the man, but the people he's not taking guff from, or the cops, who he's really on the same side. Ass that's right. So chuck exploitation obviously huge. It affected everything from you know, Menace to Society to Black Ela. All of that came from Sweet Sweet Back. And we mentioned the guy who directed this next movie, Russ Myers. This is pro probably a seminole work. Let's listen to this clip from the trailer.
Speaker 3: You walk, Ladies and gentlemen, Gold Gold for a wild, wild ride with the Watusi cats. But beware, the sweetest kittens have the sharpest claw. By your own safety.
Speaker 5: See faster pussy.
Speaker 3: Cats kill, kill, wild women, wild wheels. Race the fastest pussy cats and they'll be Jill to sober woman Fulton, wild and cooked.
Speaker 5: You're placing yourself on this kid, then hanging itself for nothing by.
Speaker 2: Nothing, got nothing to do with the money.
Speaker 4: Jis the money.
Speaker 1: Jack and Jill. They make a mafia look like Brownie. They make the mafia look like Brownie.
Speaker 2: That's right. That says quite a bit about them. So this that was faster pussy Cat Kill Kill in nineteen sixty five Russ Meers basically women exploitation film NUDI film. Remember Russ Meyers was King of the nudies. He made twenty six movies. But this is probably at the very least is his best known, if not like his masterpiece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he hatched a slew of I mean not that he wasn't legit, he was, but what mainstream people would call legit filmmakers were came up through the russ Meyer film camp basically. Yeah, so it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and russ Meyer also a little known fact. Another movie that's mentioned in this article. There's an article on the site, by the way, called ten Noteworthy exploitation Films that this is based on, Yeah, written by you, Yeah, which I showly recommend going to read because it has a lot of extra stuff we're not going to cover in this one, Yeah, or at least extra movies. But russ Meyer directed a movie called Beyond the Valley of the Dolls two right, which was the bastard son of the legitimate film that Beyond Valley of Dolls is a jiggle fest written by none other than Roger Ebert's right, yeah, the movie Roger Ebert ever wrote, Yeah, he had a Yeah, it was a very brief career. But that's it. That's an illustrious one. Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So if you're going to talk about the plot, a faster pussy cat kill kill, And I say that because there's three exclamation.
Speaker 2: Points and a comma exclamation point kill.
Speaker 1: Is it three exclamation points?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought it was a common then too. All right, either way, that's a lot of punctuation for a film title, right, And it was about three bisexual go go dancers. They go on a crime spree out in the desert, and what do they do? They end up killing a man and or no, they kill the man and a couple keep the girl.
Speaker 2: They basically empower herme on with it by murdering her boyfriend, and she ends up on the crime spree with them.
Speaker 1: And they basically end up going to an isolated house with a wheelchair bound old man and his son's.
Speaker 2: Who's a lech? They're all leches, these women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they don't know that these women are tough, no tough ladies.
Speaker 2: And the men and his son. The man and his sons apparently or allegedly have a large amount of cash stashed in this house. So it's kind of like a standoff of gall to see who will come out on top.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know who comes out on top. Yeah, And this film was noteworthy for one big reason was that there's a lot of dualism towards gender. So on one hand, he's exploiting these women and apparently got women in their first trimester of pregnancy, so they were more voluptuous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not in this film, but in his other folks he would hire. I can't remember the lady's name, but the star of Festor pussy Cat Kill Kill was in other Russ Meyers films, gotcha, and he made sure that she was like well into her third first trimester to enhance her natural bustiness.
Speaker 1: That's right, yeah, her bosom if you will. But the script, like I said, it was dualism because while he did that, it also empowered women because the women in his films bowed to no man. No, they were the champs. They were they were heroines really for the first time.
Speaker 2: They were objectified very clearly. But at the same time, if you follow the script and really look at their characters, then yeah, they're powerful women.
Speaker 1: And this kind of kicked off a big slew of women exploitation films, exploitation films, the women in prison.
Speaker 2: Movies, yes, which we lads sisters very.
Speaker 1: Big at the time. Women were lead actors for the first time, they were aggressors for the first time, still nude often while they were doing this stuff.
Speaker 2: Spawned the television show The Facts of Life.
Speaker 1: But the interesting thing is they found that these movies appealed to men and women because men would go see it for obvious reasons. Women would go see it because it was empowering and they didn't mind, you know, looking at the naked ladies because women are much more grown up, sure than men are. Yeah, but josh, the seventies also got a little schlocky, which in a sense was true to the exploitation model, Like they really went over the top. No more political statements, no more advancing of women's gender or African marins Americans. It just got really shlocky and outrageous at that point.
Speaker 2: Well, what happened starting in the sixth really took hold in the seventies, and then from that point on was exploitation cinema, early on showing a live birth, nudest camps. These are all geared toward adults in the sixties, and then later on big time in the seventies, the audience became almost exclusively teenagers, like those driving teenagers or well teenagers anywhere, who cares, but the audience was teenagers, and the cast started to become teenagers, so it had a little more of a bent on what teenagers were having to deal with, like bullying, like the kid in this next clip right, which is I have to say, one of my favorite movies from way way back.
Speaker 1: Here we go with Toxic Avenger.
Speaker 5: Yeah, meet little Melvin. He's a ninety pound weekly. Everyone hated Melvin. Yeah, I'm gonna take this mop and shove it down your throat, me teased him.
Speaker 3: I want to do it with you, podkay.
Speaker 5: They taunted him. They tormented him until he had a horrifying accident and fell into a bat of nuclear waste, transforming little Melting into a hideously deformed creature of superhuman size and strength. The movement became the Toxic Avenger.
Speaker 1: So Josh. The Toxic Avenger movie was unique in that its film production company, Trauma, is very popular in their own right.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen surf Nazis Must Die?
Speaker 1: I haven't, but I know about you Trauma. I mean, they are master self promoters and marketeers.
Speaker 2: They were one of the first production companies to have a website, like a really comprehensive website. You should go on their website, their whole catalog. It's really just well done. It's schlocky, but it's well done, right.
Speaker 1: And Toxic Avenger follows a story of a ninety eight pound weekling who was picked on released the same year's Ghostbusters. Do you notice that nineteen eighty four?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was it occurred at zero year.
Speaker 1: It's the year zero. Yeah, we'll just put the null set represent that. And this kid gets pushed out of a window into a vat of toxic sludge.
Speaker 2: Which that's beyond bullying.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I mean, this is basically it's a more twisted version of modern problems. The Chevy Chase film from a couple of years earlier.
Speaker 2: Okay, I haven't seen that one.
Speaker 1: Oh you never saw a modern problem. No, it's very silly, but he got toxic sledge dumped on him and had special powers.
Speaker 2: From years earlier, prior after.
Speaker 1: What Win was the movie? Yeah, it was two years before Toxic Avenger, But Toxic Avenger took it into a gore special effects way that modern Problems never did.
Speaker 2: So the janitor Melvin I believe his name is, becomes toxified, it becomes toxic, the tox Avenger who beats the tar out of people at the health club where he was abused and mutated and has tons of sex as the Toxic Avenger because his newfound manhood is just irresistible to women. And one of the things that's noteworthy about the Toxic Avenger is that they actually tried to make decent effects. Yeah, it wasn't just it wasn't horrible. I guess you could say.
Speaker 1: Well for the time, you know, it wasn't bad.
Speaker 2: No, there, they remained bad, and they probably were kind of bad even back then. But for for for Grindhouse films, yeah they were, they were great, right, And uh, it's also noteworthy because it came out of Trauma Productions or Trouma Studios, and it led to a whole line of Toxic Avenger movies and schlock in general, which is basically like some crazy, horrible thing has happened, but we're not going to dwell too much on that. Let's see what let's let's see where the action takes us exactly. So like Bad Taste, Peter Jackson's first film Right is a great example of schlock that came out of Toxic Avenger.
Speaker 1: And he had the film that followed, Peter Jackson Dead Alive, which was at one point supposedly the gorrist film ever made. Really, although it sounds like your new Korean movie has surpassed that, Yeah, I think it probably has.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that Alive's seen Bad Taste and Bad Taste it was horribly gory, but I think this has it beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I bet you if anything. I mean, I haven't seen the one you're talking about. But is it more realistic gore?
Speaker 2: Yeah, with bad it's like these are aliens that are having their heads blown off. So it definitely takes you at least a degree away from caring this is happening to human beings. In I saw The Devil, so it definitely is driven home a little more well.
Speaker 1: And the violence that even the gore back then, it was so over the top, right out of Fangor magazine.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, dude, Fangory is still around, is it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I figured it was.
Speaker 2: I'm glad it is. We follow it on our Twitter feed.
Speaker 1: Oh we do. Yep, like a head'll explode in scanners and you know, it's not disturbing because it's so clearly over the top. But these new movies are much more disturbing.
Speaker 2: If you ask me, I agree wholeheartedly because they're more realistic. Yeah. So, carrying on with Chucks and my Cisco and eber Act. This is the second to last movie in our little list today, and this one's from way back from the thirties. So let's talk about reefer madness.
Speaker 4: These high school boys and girls are having a hop at the local soda fountain. Innocently they dance, innocent of a new and deadly menace lurking behind closed doors. Matrijuana the Burning Weed when it's roots in Hell or watchcase if you want to be you will meet Bill, who wants to pride and his strong will as he takes the first step toward and slave undre.
Speaker 1: So that was the excellent reafer Madness, which was an exploitation drug exploitation film and very much a cautionary tale. It even shaped the drug culture and how people looked at drugs. Is you know marijuana at the time, Is this really evil thing that can make you crazy and kill people?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And actually, in very much the vein of early exploitation films, it was produced and distributed as a public service, like the alternate title for it was Tell Your Children, And the whole thing set in a pta meeting where this guy is relating the story, and it's a story about lost lives, about murder, about guilt and paranoia, and all of it is fed and based on rampant drug use, which is really just a lot of pot smoking which can turn you into a fiend. And it's apparently the director his name is Dwayne Esper. He did other exploitation films from the thirties like Sex Madness, Psychotic Connections, and he made a name for himself basically taking these things that may have originally been written as a public service and making them so outlandish that he exploited the people who were making these movies and created this legacy of like just insanely over the top exploitation films from the thirties.
Speaker 1: Well, and ironically, Reefer Madness years later, would become not so much an anti drug propaganda film how should I say this, but a film that college students would sit around and watch while partaking and laughing at this whole thing. Yeah, and a cult film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it puts drugs so far out there that if you, despite all the warnings, take drugs anyway and you realize that you don't turn into a fiend and murder somebody, you uh, refer Madness basically dares you to go further. So it's kind of an it's the opposite. It has the opposite effect of what I think its original intent was before Duanne Osberg got its hands on it. And as a side note, I had trouble deciding between Reefer Madness and another nineteen thirties film by a guy named Todd Browning called Freaks.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well that was that was huge because it was the first big exploitation film pre Hayes Code and.
Speaker 2: Last, Yeah and last, and it was it was an MGM film. Yeah, and it's widely considered a masterpiece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it looks great. It's it's not it was well done.
Speaker 2: It's a huge it's a it's a revenge movie, which is a very common theme in exploitation films. Yeah, especially violent ones. But it's it featured Browning dared to have real freaks. I guess if you're yes, circus side show freaks, yeah star in this. Uh, and they basically exact their revenge on people who've misstreat them. And I have not seen it really Yeah, yeah, I want to. I hear it's just awesome. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: It ended his career though, unfortunately. Yeah, and he was a popular filmmaker at the time.
Speaker 2: Well, hats off to him for staying true to his art. Chuck just took his hat off.
Speaker 1: Don the old cap.
Speaker 2: All right, Chuck, here's the last one that we've got a clip for which I think everybody will notice or recognize without even a word. There's not even a word in this clip, and you will understand what's going on. So here we go.
Speaker 1: So, Josh, those are the unmistakable sounds of fist of fury of mister one, mister Bruce.
Speaker 2: Lee, Bruce Lee kicking bottom. This first movie, Yeah, which was originally titled, well, it's still title I think in Asia The Big Boss, and in America it is it's titled Fists of Fury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was on the other night. Okay, Well I saw part of it. Oh yeah, yeah, I didn't realize it was his first one, though I would have tuned in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was first of what five five major films, right, And basically it's the story of a martial arts student who's investigating the murder of his teacher, and it began the martial arts exploitation sub genre, which.
Speaker 1: Later would become just martial arts films. Right or was it still considered exploitation.
Speaker 2: It's all the same, Okay, they're one and the same. Anything that even remotely resembles a Bruce Lee movie, specifically The Big Boss or any of them, is martial arts exploitation technically, because again we arrive at that one definition. It's over the top. Bruce Lee's taking on scores of anonymous thugs for two hours, one after the other, for two hours, just beating the tar out of all these people without tiring. Really, everybody's kind of waiting their turn politely in a circle around him, and he has to beat everybody right, and then he works his way up and it's over the top. So it is exploitation. But it led to other films like Samurai exploitation. Remember American Ninja. Remember the whole ninja film thing that came out in the mid eighties. Uh uh, that's from Bruce Lee's that's Bruce Lee's doing well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you go to these at the time when I was first going to New York many years ago, that would be you know, you got a Times Square and this is still when Time Square was kind of gross, and that would be just the martial Arts movie store where it was all that stuff, mane, like thousands of movies about ninja's and samuraiz and martial artists and very big. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was inspired by American Ninja to become a ninja. Remember I entered a ninja training with Tommy Roper, who had like more throwing stars than any kid I've ever known.
Speaker 1: What did you have? Like one throwing star?
Speaker 2: I borrowed his. Okay, I was not allowed to have throwing stars on my own.
Speaker 1: Oh I wasn't either, Yeah, Baptist, No, No, that was very violent.
Speaker 2: No numb chuck, not even thought that transcends like religious background. It's like, you're a good parent, you shouldn't let your kid have a throwing star.
Speaker 1: It's a good point. And as you point in the article, this actually led to another subgenre, which was Bruce Lee lookalike movies. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he made five movies and then died at age thirty two. Yeah, and nineteen seventy three. So Big Boss released in nineteen seventy one, he dies two years later. Everybody's like, no, so let's find some guys that look like him, which is really kind of stereotypical and racist for the West. But Bruce Leeve l I or le ee or l E or just l E. Well, Bruce l I or Bruce el E. I don't think there was ever like Bruce l e I.
Speaker 1: G H.
Speaker 2: I don't think it ever got that far. But I mean they released dozens of Bruce Lee and I just made air quote films.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Bruce Lee created the martial arts exploitation genre and subgenre, and he inadvertently created the Bruce Lee exploitation subgenre of the martial arts exploitation subgenre.
Speaker 1: By dying young, Yeah and being very popular. Yeah, And which one was the one he had Kareem Mental Jabbarian Enter the Dragon. Yeah. Yeah, if you've never seen a like seven foot plus guy to martial arts, you should check that out.
Speaker 2: And if you can't get enough Bruce Lee and you have a good sense of humor, check out Kentucky Fried movie made by one Jerry's Rucker, who we met in Los Angeles recently and who used an exploitive to me. He did it was one of the high points of my life, it is. But yeah, Kentucky Fry movie awesome.
Speaker 1: Actually, when we met Jerry Zucker, we told him that our little speech we were given that night was one of the highlights of our career thus far. And he says, well, it doesn't say much about your career, does it? Like the first thing to do does?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Something funny and we just like kind of fawned over the man.
Speaker 1: We should mention briefly and it's in the article, but just as a teaser. The late seventies we got Nazi exploitation movies, Nazi exploitation as a subgenre, yeah, And one of the major players there movie wise was Ilsa she Wolf of the SS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which led to Ilsa Siberian Tigris and Ilsa harm keeper of the oil sheeks. Really, there's a whole sex violence franchise, Dominatrix franchise, that was based out of the Nazi exploitation film.
Speaker 1: You know, one could argue that qt mister Tarantino has made nothing but exploitation films. Yeah, since pulp fiction, because the kill bills were definitely martial arts exploitation. The Jackie Brown was a riff on black exploitation. Sure, death Proof obviously that was what they were trying to do there.
Speaker 2: Death Proof is Carsploitation, which follows in the tradition of Vanishing Point, which was released the same year, is basically it's rival to the the founder, the founding movie of carsploitation, Two Lane Black Top, right, which movie. Yeah, if you want to start an argument with an exploitation film, buff tell him Vanishing Point was the beginning of carsploitation. They'll get mad at you.
Speaker 1: And then finally Tarantina with The Inglorious Bastards, which is clearly a riff on the Nazi exploitation films.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Beaten nazis the Death of the Baseball Bat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about as over the top and lurt as it's awesome. Yeah. So, and then Machete. I hated it. But Robert Rodriguez it's terrible.
Speaker 1: And of course he was the other half of the Rodriguez was the other half with his Planet Terra of the Grindhouse double feature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and.
Speaker 1: Machete was born from one of the little fake trailers they made in that movie.
Speaker 2: Oh is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was one of the fake movie previews.
Speaker 2: It is even as far as like a purposefully B movie not good. No, well, Death Proof was okay, but I didn't like Planetear that much. Yeah, and then Chuck. Well, first of all, before we get to today, we also have to give a shout out to Porno's Porno came out of the exploitation film genre.
Speaker 1: And it arguably had a lot to do with killing the X or pushing it into the mainstream, because once you had the movie Deep Throat and all of a sudden, pornography was on the screen, it's like, you can't do an exploitation film about it anymore. If there's the real deal going on, it loses all its power. And then a little movie called Jaws came along, and all of a sudden, a quote unquote B movie style movie made gobs and gobs of money, and that put a little bit of mainstream respectability on the map all of a sudden, And so one might argue, Josh that movies like Jaws and Pornography kind of shoved exploitation films even though they still exist. They're sort of mainstream movies now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, yeah, I guess another word for grindhouse these days is blockbuster. Jaws was the first blockbuster movie, summer blockbuster, and now you have to have summer blockbusters, and they're always over the top and exploitive of viewers tastes.
Speaker 1: And not only Tarantino, those other filmmakers out that are trying to capture that seventies vibe with overt exploitation films again, shot that way, shot on thirty five or I'm sorry, yeah, sixteen millimeter film, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, Chuck, I say, our message to everybody is number one, go on to the site, read ten noteworthy exploitation films. Number two if that interests you. Like, even the ten noteworthy exploitation films they chose don't cover even I think a third of the exploitation subgenres. So there'll probably be another article forthcoming at some point if there is. We'll let you know and then go watch some exploitation movies and enjoy them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, watch the documentary American Grindhouse too, if you're into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great one. It's free on Hulu. Actually there's ads, but Hulu dot com has American Grindhouse for free. It is not safe for work now, in no way, shape or form. I was watching it at work and I was like, WHOA, Okay, really, yeah, if you are watching it at work, tab browsing is what you want to be doing, right, and keep your your finger over the mouse and keep the cursor over the other tab right and stay sharp.
Speaker 1: Or in our case, you can just say it's research. But you can't do that. If you're an accountant in JP Morgan.
Speaker 2: You're just a cicico, a weirdo, that weird guy in accounting. So look up ten noteworthy exploitation films. You can type that into the handy search bar at HowStuffWorks dot com. And now, at long last, it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 1: Joshua's I'm gonna call this It's a small world after all. Dear guys, I'm a longtime fan from Minnesota and enjoy spreading stuff you should know goodness wherever I go. My co workers at a local coffee shop know me for the trivia and information I abound in. But if forget tell you what that he says he abounds in, I guess he's proficient in. Okay, did he misuse that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It sounds hilarious.
Speaker 1: It does after giving credit where credit is due, which means us several of them decided to subscribe your podcast. Listening to the podcast has also given me an advantage at work for thinking of the coffee shop's daily trivia question, which saves people ten cents on their drink if I know it. After relstening to how legos work, I set the trivia question for which company produces the most tires on a yearly basis? Abridge stone be goodyear see Lego Bricks. You know the answer, John. Most people were surprised and pleased to find out it was Lego Bricks, reminding me of about the little playsets that their kids enjoy. This is where it gets weird. One of the customers read the trivia question, looked at me and said, it's a Puonsi scheme.
Speaker 2: Nice, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: And the best Italian accent he could muster. Everyone else gave him an odd look. I started laughing. He apologized and then say and said he just heard it on a podcast. He had just listened to Legos follow up by Ponzi Schemes. Long story short, we were both pleased to find out that we were both fans. We are now on a first name basis, eager to discuss the most recent episodes. So these dudes in Minneapolis.
Speaker 2: Daniel, that's awesome, thanks Daniel.
Speaker 1: And his friend now his new friend.
Speaker 2: His unnamed friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't name him.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't know him. He made him at camp.
Speaker 1: That's right, band camp.
Speaker 2: Thanks Daniel, that's really awesome. Wow, that's really cool. Let us know if you tweet those daily facts for your coffeehouse, because we will start following you. Indeed, that'd be very cool if you want to follow us. We have our own Twitter feed. Seriously, it's called s Y s K Podcast one word ten thousand strong plus Yeah, we're on uh no, we're up to like eleven and change.
Speaker 1: That's plus ten.
Speaker 2: That's true. We're also on Facebook, Facebook, dot com, slash stuff. You should know. Yep, we have a Kiva team, right, we're trying to get to half a million dollars. That's right, that's Kiva dot org, slash team slash stuff you should know, And then you can always send us a good old fashioned email. We want to know what your favorite exploitation film of all time is. You can send that in an email to Stuff podcast at HowStuffWorks dot com.
Speaker 1: For more on this and thousands of other topics, visit HowStuffWorks dot com. To learn more about the podcast, click on the podcast icon in the upper right corner of our homepage. The house Stuffworks iPhone app has arrived.
Speaker 2: Download it today on iTunes