Speaker 1: Wind Down with Janet Kramer and I'm Heart Radio Podcast.
Speaker 2: This week's Thursday Therapy, we have doctor Roshini Rajan and I'm so excited to get her on because she is a doctor. She graduated from Harvard and New York University. She is a GI doctor and we're going to talk about gut renovation and just all the things.
Speaker 3: Let's get her on.
Speaker 1: Hi, how do I found I don't have my mic?
Speaker 3: Are you like a beginner at this or what?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: I will tell you this. I was in this huge board meeting and I'm like, I'm sorry, I have to jump off for Berkeley and I'm like, I'm sorry to drop off for ten minutes to talk.
Speaker 5: About coal and health.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say him runs.
Speaker 2: Well, that's this is what I'm so excited about. And we're keeping all of this in because I feel like there's this big stigma around even saying the word, you know, danna.
Speaker 1: We have to change it, Like I know, let's tell you they vomited, but they don't want to say the H word. They're like immind or like I have blood pouring out of my body and they won't say I have the hemorrhoid.
Speaker 2: I know it's it's insane. Do we have the doctor in the waiting room because we have to get her on. Okay, So I'm so excited to have Doctor Doctor, the Doctor Rage on the podcast because well, first of all, I didn't know that you're you're Tula, Like that's company.
Speaker 6: I'm the founder of Tula.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love Tula.
Speaker 7: I love to hear that.
Speaker 2: I genuinely it's one of those. So I saw it obviously on Instagram. I saw some influencers promoting it, and I'm like, all right, you know it's probably just because they're promoting it, right, And so I'm like, well, I genuinely want to try it because I started to look into it because now that I'm forty, I'm like, all right, I really need to just be mindful of what I'm putting on my skin. I didn't realize there's so much hidden stuff in things, and I'm obsessed with it. I love, I love Tula. So I just got so excited. So thank you for creating such a beautiful skincare line that's clean, that just it feels good. It's targeting things that I need for my skin, even at forty, So I appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Oh, I am so happy to hear that I'm looking at your skin right now and you're gorgeous, and your skinned is gorgeous. I'm happy to be associated with it in any way. I actually started Tula when i was forty two. I'm now fifty two, so it's been a ten year journey and it's yeah, it's been amazing and it you know, people might when they hear that I'm a gaster intrologist a couple of minutes, wonder how do we make the connection with skin, and guess.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's yeah. I was like wait a minute, because I was like, that's what I was. You know, obviously gas how do you say that? Because I was a big word trow entrologist.
Speaker 7: But we could also say GI doc.
Speaker 3: That's also very okay, at GI doc. There we go.
Speaker 2: So, I you know, I was like, oh, this is great. You know, she's graduated from Harvard, she's a GI doctor in a power of you know, probatics and all the things. And I'm you know, got, I'm like great, great, And I'm like, wait, what I was like, launch your skincare brand, Tula. I'm like, that's what I I was like. So I'm just how do you go from GI to Tula?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so Tula is actually a probiotic based skincare line. So I was always and still am, you know, obsessed with gut health and specifically the microbiome and the power of probiotics. And this was again about ten years ago, thinking of starting a new brand and really the first entrepreneurial thing I had ever done, and I actually started thinking about different ways that I could bring probiotics more to the market. This is just when people were starting to learn about it, and I was at the age in my early you know, at that time, in my early forties, starting to think more about my own skin. I'd been doing a lot of TV as a wellness contributor, wearing all that heavy makeup and just thinking about, you know how, what's the best way to protect your skin? And I looked into the relationship between probiotic extracts and the skin and how applying them topically have like the most amazing skin benefits, and nobody was talking about it in the skincare world. So I was like, this is a real opportunity in a way to really reach women and talk about the microbiome. But at a point where we're all thinking about our skin of course and skin health, and so we were really the first brand to talk about probatics in the skin. And I mean, so many people now who use Toola don't even think about the probatic angle, but that is.
Speaker 2: But now it makes sense. I'm like wow, because I'm like, yeah, it's like because I use the that serum has that, I'm like, yeah, probatic.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I didn't even think like correlating that as the same that I take every day for my gut exactly.
Speaker 7: It's all you know, inside out, a lot of the same ingredients great for your internal health, also amazing topically apply to your skin. And that's also relates to my newest venture which I just launched, which is also about good health, which I'm sure we'll talk about. But yeah that's me.
Speaker 2: Okay, well thank you for that. Everyone get Toula. It's great skincare.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Side note, we have another guest on, Amy Sugarman. She's the producer of so many podcasts like wind Down. I mean, gosh, do you want to do you want to.
Speaker 3: Give your list any of all the things that you produce.
Speaker 5: It's too boring.
Speaker 4: But doctor Roger and I go way back, and I love her and so when.
Speaker 6: We will tell you what.
Speaker 5: We were texting about.
Speaker 4: But Jane and I were about a topic because we're friends and we were together, and then in me realize we had to get you on to talk about.
Speaker 2: So it's the word that I feel like, I know, it's the word that I feel like no one can say. And even as so I just had a four month old. I just had a baby four months ago, right, so it was my thank you so much. It was my first experience. I didn't have this with my first two at all. Did not experience this. I'm I'm not ready to say the word yet. And so but I had a really, really, really bad journey with it because during my pregnancy and I I mean, I love my fancy more than anything in this world, I couldn't tell him, you know. One day I finally broke down because I was in so much pain that but I was, I was like, if you never want to look me in the eyes again, and you know, if you think I'm the most disgusting person, like, I get it, I understand. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I.
Speaker 2: Told my best friend Catherine, But besides that even in the hospital after I gave birth, I'm like, can.
Speaker 3: I have something that will help the pain?
Speaker 2: And so and I again when and then again, I barely spoke the word because I'm like, to me, I'm like, it's disgusting.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So then Amy texts me because I just and this is what I love about Amy, And she's just like, we'll just say it, right. So we're texting and she's like, sorry, dealing with the hemorrhoid right now.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I'm like, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, girl, that's been my past like ten months, like it's been awful, Like it's so and I'm like, and.
Speaker 3: Nobody talks about it, Like I had to.
Speaker 2: Hide my hemorrhoid cream from my fiance so we didn't see it in the bathroom.
Speaker 7: I know. Yeah, it's there's such an unfortunately negative connotation to the whole topic. But I have to tell you as a GI doctor who does call and oskar bees like all the time, so I see inside people's call it and even if they don't realize their hemorrhids, they have hemorrhoids, I can see if they have them. They are so extremely common, and especially in women who've had children, we can we'll talk about the science about why it happens, but so that like, really no one should feel embarrassed because chances are the person you're talking to has also experienced it, or you know, at least half of them have. So like I do, I do get you like that hemorrhoid cream is not the thing you want leaving outside in your bathroom. It's all like a beautiful candle or no.
Speaker 2: And also like, don't come in the shower. I'm trying to push up a hemorrhoid, you know what I mean, Like it's not the sexiest thing. You know what I mean, Like I'm like, God, I don't think this thing back up, you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: I know, and definitely can be uncomfortable, So we can we'll talk about what to do about the discomfort or the pain or the symptoms, but just the notion of having it. I do hope people walk away like learn or you know, at least believing in some sense that it's really common and you really shouldn't be you should be like Amy, talk about it, text about.
Speaker 2: It all right, So Amy, tell us your hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoid Journey is hemorrhoids season as Easton says.
Speaker 5: It's colon Hope a month.
Speaker 4: So what happened was, I'll tell the whole I can tell you all the gory details, but I decided that I was like because I did, I was so embarrassed.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to call my doctor.
Speaker 4: And that was actually the biggest mistake I made that I waited like five days before I called my doctor, and had I called her the day, I would be way quicker evolving the prompt.
Speaker 5: So of course I text Jenna and then you know, don't hold back with Jana.
Speaker 4: We go there and then like every other girlfriend and I would say, ninety percent of the girlfriend's that I told, yeah, I had the same issue, right, I mean you think of it kind of like a weird boy thing too, Like I always was like I pictured like my dad, you know, but it was like right, women and I then I did a deep dive and learned external internal. Yeah that and actually ninety percent or more go away on their own, which because I started to get so anxious about it too, like is this forever so right?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 4: My external which okay, Anna, sounds like it was internal. I had.
Speaker 2: I had, like had everyone you could imagine, like I'm like, do I gotta strangulate this bitch, like what's going on?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Like I'm good in all of it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, And I had a friend of a friend who actually also had one and went to the emergency room, was like in so much pain and they're like, yeah, there's we can't really do anything. So I've got questions, jama if I.
Speaker 3: Go take it over you have.
Speaker 4: The first question is do most go away on their own with like home treatments or cortizone or I am the proud owner of a what I call it a toilet bath the.
Speaker 7: Yeah it sits bath, yep, yep, yeah yeah. Well let me just you know, for those of you who don't know what an hemorrhoid is, let's let's just define our term for terms for one second. So we all have little veins in that rectal area, like that's normal, That's how we get blood flow and blood drainage and all that. But when those veins become swollen or in gorge, that is what a hemorrhoid is. It's literally a swollen vein. And why does it happen? You know, when there's pressure in that area, and that could be due to pregnancy, obviously carrying a baby and the weight puts pressure on those veins. Giving birth, you know, vaginal delivery, You're a getting a lot of pressure there for that those hours that you're pushing. But it could be you know, weight training, so bearing down and that can you know, being on a bike, so the whole soul cycle. I see a lot of people getting them when they get really into cycling and that kind of thing. Sitting for a long period, you're on a plane for a long time, a long car ride, so all of those things can increase pressure. But I would say that probably the most common cause is constipation. So the more you're straining and your colon is straining, you're putting pressure on those veins. That can cause hemorrhoids to form. And so some of the most simple things you can do are very effective, like increasing your fiber. That's first and foremost. You know, more fiber in your diet, a fiber supplement. Unfortunately, over ninety percent of Americans are not getting the recommended like twenty five to thirty grams of fiber a day, so it's no wonder that a lot of people are getting hemorrhoids. So that's the first thing I recommend which goes along with what I just launched a fiber company called Yateay, and we really want everyone to be getting that optimal fiber because fiber is great not just for hemorrhoids, but poland health overall, cholesterol, blood pressure, you know all these great things. So fiber is really important. Drinking more water is really important for hemorrhoids. We recommend that. And then, like you were saying, Amy, these topical treatments, those could be ointments, it could be suppositories that you actually insert in a lot of them do contain hydrocortisone, so like a little steroid ointment, which absolutely can help shrink and decrease the inflammation, as well as soaking in warm water. And so while you can do a tub, you can sit your tub three times a day for ten to fifteen minutes. That's obviously not very convenient. So then what's recommended is getting what you're talking about, the Sitz bath or it's like a plastic basically bowl that you attached to your toilet you can put a little warm water.
Speaker 4: It's so crazy. It's so crazy that my friend, so as I started to tell more people what was happening, I not name the friend. But she's literally text me from Amazon, you have to get this, and I would like immediately know I'm not doing that.
Speaker 3: Was it like a dog bowl? Is that like that you put your button?
Speaker 4: Well, Jane, it's literally a dog bull that goes into your toilet and you like sit your butt in it with maybe like epsom salt, and I'm like, I can't do it. But this thing was so bad that I was basically like I'll do anything.
Speaker 5: No, my god, I have to tell you. This is the like life change.
Speaker 2: It's like a Nettie Pop for your a Nettie Pop for your butthole or your butt.
Speaker 7: Exactly because that warm water, it not only soothes the you know, the hemorrhoid that's inflamed and painful, but it actually relaxes the muscles, which makes it easier for that hemorrhoid to go back in. You know, you were talking about pushing it in in the shower. Actually that's why it works better in the shower because things are warm and more relaxed, so it's easier to push it in. But but yeah, they work. They definitely work.
Speaker 5: Game changer. Just don't worry about it. Order it on Amazon.
Speaker 4: It's literally fifteen bucks, Like it's not expensive and it is a game changer. So I will tell you what my doctor told me. So okay, mine's external.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I before I first of all the fact that my doctor had to just like look up my.
Speaker 6: Butt, I was like laughing.
Speaker 4: I decided to lean into the whole mess of it. So what she explained it because I kept telling her there's a grape with a frozen pea next to it, like that was when I was like, I can see it and I can feel it. It's sort of a squishy grape with a frozen p So what she explained to me is like think of like Juinna. You blow up a balloon, right, and you tie the knot of the balloon. So what it was explaining is the frozen pea is the knot, and it's like basically a blood clot. The squishy grape is not going to fully go down until the knot comes out. Okay, slowly, but surely, the frozen pee is getting smaller. I also thought like, I'm gonna go to bed tonight and wake up tomorrow and this thing will be gone.
Speaker 3: No, this thing is staying at the course.
Speaker 5: Slowly going away.
Speaker 2: And it's so uncomfortable and what you it sounds like what you had was a clot within the hemorrhoid.
Speaker 7: We call it a thrombo temorroid, and those definitely can be way more painful. I mean to the point where some people can't even sit down they're so painful. And when it first happens, that's when you if you did go to an emergency room, like on the first day, there is a way they could actually it sounds painful, but it's really not like make a tiny little cut and just take out the clot. But if you wait, it's kind of too late and then they can't do that procedure. You just need to wait it out, which is kind of what it sounds like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's look, I'm happy to tell everybody.
Speaker 4: The pain does sort of subside after For me, it was like a week and I can sit, but it was just like bugging me. I literally was like, I'm walking around with a grape in my bottom. What's going on?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: It's still there, but I'm living my life like it's not painful, but it's just so slow that had I not gone to the doctor and done all this research, I would be kind of panicked.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like I think.
Speaker 4: My message is like we got to talk about our butts and just the doctor right away.
Speaker 7: And the other thing because you mentioned it, I definitely want to say, like this is colon cancer Awareness month. It is so important to not assume that what you have is a hemorrhoid. Even if your friend says it sounds like my hemorrhoid, you know it could be, but go go get it checked out, because we can't take anything for granted these days, like young people are getting colon cancer. If there is something new and worrisome, a lump or a bump in that area, especially if there's any blood associated with it. While again it could be something very benign like a hemorrhoid, you want to make sure it's not something more serious like a colon.
Speaker 4: Can well, and I did not have blood. I don't know why I'm like saying all of this is.
Speaker 3: That I for sure did, so now I'm like, maybe do I have cancer?
Speaker 7: So bleeding is very common from hemorrhoids, but anytime someone has blood, you should always be checked out. And you said you're forty. If you haven't had a colonoscopy, you should if you've had rectal bleeding.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, really, a colonoscopy? What is that? Like?
Speaker 2: A like I've never obviously is that I've had a colonic. Okay, I really love a colonic. Clonics Like, I remember my first clonic. I was like, wow, I've got a flat te me today.
Speaker 7: So, colonoscopy is a test that we do to screen for colon cancer. It's now recommended that every single person starting at age forty five should get it. Used to be fifty. Now forty five because we are seeing colon cancer and younger people, but we recommend it earlier for people that have any kind of bleeding or other symptoms. What it actually means is the day before, you drink a laxat of solution to kind of clear everything out, and you do feel actually quite flat and clear. Then you go into your doctor's office or you might go to a hospital. They put a little I V in your arm, you get anesthesia so you will be totally asleep for the duration of the test, which is usually fifteen to thirty minutes, and then during that time, a doctor like me is inserting a very skinny, flexible tube in the rectum. We look all through your colon also known as your large intestine. And if we see anything abnormal, like a polyp, which is a little growth that grows out of the line of your colon, we can just remove it, just cut it out during the procedure so that that polyp doesn't have a chance to grow into something bigger, like a colon cancer. So that's the way you can actually prevent colon cancer from even starting. And of course if we see something like a colon cancer, it's always best to diagnose it early. It has a very high survival rate when diagnosed early. And that's that's it. You wake up right after, within a few minutes, and you go home with your friend or loved one, and you can do whatever you want the rest of the day, just no driving.
Speaker 2: If the bleeding has stopped, though, is it is it okay? Because now if there's no bleeding, now I'm like, now, I'm like, oh God, get checked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would.
Speaker 7: Say it's like for you to not panic. It is most likely okay. However, colon cancers can also bleed intermittently, and I don't think you have colon cancer by any means, but like any kind of blood in a four year old, we always would say go get checked.
Speaker 5: To be able.
Speaker 7: Better to be safe than sorry.
Speaker 5: I have two questions.
Speaker 4: Number one, I have like one hundred questions, but I'll try and NA what ful of guard? So I'm terrified of the colonoscopy. I will do it one day, but I'm like baby stepping my way to it.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 7: So coll of guard is a stool test that a text for little mutations of your DNA that could be associated with polyps or cancers, and it is an alternative screening test to a colonoscopy. However, it's still not as accurate as a colonoscopy, so it can miss polyps or even cancers in some cases. Although it's pretty good for cancers, it also can do the opposite. It can give you a false positive. So I've had a lot of patients who've come to get a colonoscopy because they did a call of guard it was positive, and then we do the colonoscity it's totally normal. So I would say it's definitely not as good or you know, equivalent. If there is a compelling reason why someone can't have a colonoscopy for you know, they're two medically ill, or they have an issue, you know, problems with anesthesia. That is an option, and I definitely would prefer that to do nothing to you know, someone have no screening, but I would say at this point it's still better to get the full colonoscopy.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: So then that's my second question, which I know everyone listening is to be like, you're crazy, but I have like phobia of anesthesia.
Speaker 3: Oh I love it. I'm like, I get to have a nap, peace out.
Speaker 5: Zen.
Speaker 3: I love it, but.
Speaker 5: I get it.
Speaker 7: And I see a lot of patients who because maybe they've never had anthesia and they don't want it and they're very nervous. The kind of anesthesia that we use for colonoscopies is very short acting, which means it gets out of your bloodstream very quickly, which is great because if you want, if for God forbids, something were to happen and you want to like stop that anesthetic effect, you can do it pretty quickly during the procedure you're on and it'll be out of your bloodstream. You're also obviously being heavily monitored. You know your heart rate, your oxygen, you're breathing, all blood pressure, so you know you're doing it with an antithesiologist. Who's you know, trained to make sure everything is safe. And I think the most important thing is it's it's a very short time that you're under So, like I said, most kolonaska bees are like fifteen to thirty minutes. That's a very short period of time to be under anesthesia. You're still breathing on your own. This isn't general anesthesia like if you're a major surgery. But I am going to tell you one other thing, which is in a lot of countries, they do Pulenosco bees without anesthesia.
Speaker 5: Doctor.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you could elect to have it without it. And I probably have one patient every couple of weeks who for whatever reason, either they have a heart condition and they really shouldn't get anesthesia, or they just they're like you, they don't want anesthesia, and we do it without it. And the kolonascob for the most part, is not painful. There are a few twists and turns, so I would say cumulatively, out of fifteen minutes, there's probably like two minutes that are more painful, but they're short lived. Now, I can't predict that with everyone. If you happen to be someone who had a really twisty colon which no one would know until you had your calasm. You know, you could be that unportrait person where it's a little bit more painful.
Speaker 5: But it's you.
Speaker 7: Usually not a big deal. So if you're someone who's really scared about the anesthesia, that's definitely an option.
Speaker 2: I'm like at the dentist earlier today and I'm like, can I go down? Can you put me down? Like I'd like to opt for the like they're just getting a cavity. No, no, I know, like knock me out. I'm good.
Speaker 3: I'd like to take a nap, thank you.
Speaker 7: I mean, I've had two colonoscopes and I've had antistasia for both and I was very very happy with the experience.
Speaker 5: Oh I don't wait.
Speaker 2: Can we can we switch a little bit to gut health because I've been on this since having the baby and my levels have been like super off. And I was meeting with this one doctor who he's more of a gosh well the holistic doctor, but you know, I was telling him that. I was like, yeah, I have soft wore with anxiety. He's like, you know that comes from your gut, most of it. And I'm like no, no, no, Like I had PTSD when I was like nineteen. I'm like, that's when my anxiety started. And he's like, Okay, He's like, maybe, yes, for sure, like you might have some like PTSD trauma stuff. He's like, but most of the anxiety you're probably actually feeling your body is all GOT related.
Speaker 3: And I'm like.
Speaker 2: Really and so yeah, I mean I had no idea. And so since then, I've you know, I've changed. I'm now you know, taking supplements, doing making sure because I did. I wasn't on a daily probatic I wasn't doing certain things for my stomach again at forty, so, you know, I'm just kind of like learning this all on. I feel like gut health is like the new word that everyone's like talking about gut health and everything on socials, and so I'm I'm really like eyes open to everything now and like trying to understand, all right, what is what is the best thing that I can be taking to help my gut you know. So I'm I did a food sensitivity test, so I'm not eating things that I'm you know, you know, that are going to hurt me there. And I'm also like curious, like what else can I do? Like I'm curious to know about more about your fiber stuff, but also like what is the best probatic to take that you take? What is something else too to make sure that I can continue to have a healthy gut and that gut lining so that I'm I'm able to function, you know, have more energy and everything else and not have that anxiety that that can happen when you have that in your you know, bad things in your stomach.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a great question. Obviously, the topic that I'm most passionate about is gut health, and I think it's really interesting. As we have just talked about everyone's talking about gut health. They're learning more and more about it. I think, you know, when I started TULA, gut skin was like this new topic which now is actually becoming more mainstream. And I think gut mind is the next frontier that people are just starting to learn about. And it's so incredibly important because we now know that the gut and the brain are so interconnected. In fact, they call the gut the second brain because we have neurotransmitters in our gut. You know, we have nerves and neurons that are signaling between our brain and our gut at all times. You know consciously and subconsciously. So a couple of examples I like to say, because everyone's experienced them. If you've ever had butterflies in your stomach, or if you've ever been nervous because you have a big presentation and you feel like you need to run to the bathroom with diarrhea, like, those are clear examples of your mind and your gut interacting right. And the reverse is true when your gut lining is inflamed or it's off, or it's imbalanced, you know, the microbiomes imbalance that actually we now know can lead to mood changes, anxiety, even depression. And there's there's actually now a whole field called nutritional psychiatry because we know that what we put into our bodies and how we feed our gut really kind of an impact on our mood and our brain and on all of those things. So and sleep is another huge part of that. So that's why you know, Yay Today is the company I just started, which we are really focusing on gut mine. I feel like you can't focus on gut health without taking into account that the mind piece, which is why we put magnesium for the sleep in the mind benefits. And then to answer your question about what should you be doing for your gut, I still think that, you know, a healthy mix of prebiotics and probiotic fiber is the best way to kind of have a broad support for your gut because when it comes to choosing specific probatic strains, and I think probatics are great, and at TULA we have some probatics which I take daily, But you know, it's hard. I think think the science is still figuring out specifically which strains of bacteria are good for which people. Whereas when you take prebiotics and those are like the fertilizer for all your good bacteria, then you know you're supporting all the beneficial bacteria. You know, it's like giving sort of fish food to all the little fish as opposed to trying to pick which fish. You know, in particular, should I be having an arm in my body. So that's why I think everyone should be increasing their fiber, both in their diet and supplementing if they can't get that in their diet, which most of us can't. It's a lot of fiber we're supposed to be getting every day. And then taking care of the mind piece, which I think magnesium is a great ingredient to make sure you get a good night's sleep, but also things like the mindfulness training, the deep breathing, the meditation, those not only help you mentally, but can help calm your butt, your your buttet your button.
Speaker 2: Well, you know she is a GI doctor. Later she's got that butt on the mind.
Speaker 7: People with irrible beowel, which you know, we see a lot. I see a lot in my practice. We actually you often treat with either my mindfulness or yoga, but also with antidepressants because we know the same neuro transmitters are kind of wreaking havoc on the gut the same way they can when they're out of balance in your brain with things like anxiety and depression. So they're very interconnected. And I think we're just learning, you know, more and more about the science behind how they affect each other. But it's really important to take care of that two way conversation.
Speaker 2: Is there something though that you're like, and I totally hear you. But if you're like, so, I haven't been eating cheese because I heard cheese is really bad for your gut, Like is that true? Is my you know, I've cut back on on on wine I don't drink nearly as much wine, more so because I'm just exhausted. But I followed doctor Aman and I talked to him a lot, so I'm like, you know, I'm just being more mindful of like again, you know, controlling the mind, the gut, all my body. But you know, is there something where you're like that is an absolute no?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And I know for him, he always says the alcohol, which I'm like, well, you know, I did have one last week, and yeah, it is what it is. But like I also didn't get mad at myself for it. But you know, but if you're like, don't eat cheese, like not good for your gut, or like what is it where like or is it the process like so that you can start, Yeah, you know, I would definitely.
Speaker 7: Say processed foods are the worst, and within that category, things like hole cuts and processed meats are the absolute worst for your gut. So those are things that really do avoid. Now I'm not saying once in a blue moon you have some pepperoni or you know, nice protrudover something, it's the end of the world. But I definitely don't think that should be a regular part of anyone's diet because wa, wait a minute, sorry, that so like lunch meat, yes, correct, I have one every.
Speaker 2: Day, But it's like the turkey applegates is that okay?
Speaker 7: So if it's turkey, it's usually okay, But just see what they're putting in it, Like specifically, you want to avoid things that have nitrates in them.
Speaker 3: Nitrates, Oh it's nitrate free.
Speaker 7: Okay, then it should be fine. That is the ingredient that's the troublesome one with those. Alcohol is not great. I do think, you know, once in a while there's absolutely no reason to be guilty about having some alcohol, but regularly drinking alcohol is pretty toxic to your gut. I would say dairy and cheese, it really depends on the person. I don't think per se it's blanketly bad for everyone. But of course a lot of people are intolerant to dairy to lactose, so if you are one of those people, then obviously you're gonna feel allows you when you have it. But to me, it's really the processed meats and red meat in general, even if it's not processed, is something to really keep to a minimum for overall health, honestly, but specifically for gut health.
Speaker 6: As well, And I'm kind of like the once a week or once a month.
Speaker 7: For which one for process met.
Speaker 6: It's like, read meat, well, yeah, red meat, I would.
Speaker 7: Say for red meat, I would say more like once every couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Oh shoot man, Yeah, okay, yeah, if you.
Speaker 7: Really want to be optimally got healthy, yes, once every couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: I know, I think cheese can be kind of tricky.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it really depends on the person. I think cheese has protein, Like cheese is not necessarily horrible, but for some people it can really cause them to have a lot of bloating or diarrhea. And you know, often.
Speaker 4: Vegetables like if I look at broccoli, it's diarrhea time. Like I there's certain vegetables I'm like, no.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, vegetables in general tend to have a lot of fiber, which is good, but there are certain vegetables which are notorious for producing more more gas. You know, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, russell sprouts, you know, these are some of them. And these are all really healthy, but they can definitely have that gas issue. So you know, sometimes cooking them makes it a little bit easier to tolerate taking them with some digestive enzymes or you know, if you're someone who finds those particular ones very troublesome, then you know, obviously you can avoid them. There are many other vegetables to get, you know, good nutrients and vitamins.
Speaker 2: What's your thought on what? So I've been taking this thing that my doctor, but I honestly I shouldn't. I should do more research. I don't even know what it is, but I put it in my shakes for my gut. It's called anulin.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you can.
Speaker 7: Help with as a prebiotic and really help kind of exactly what I said. So probiotics are good healthy bacteria. Prebiotics are anything that helps foster the growth of good bacteria. So you think of it as like food for probiotics or fertilizer. So innulin is a great prebiotic. So he's kind of doing what I told you. Like, the more you do the probiotics, then you know you're you're fostering the growth of all of your healthy bacteria.
Speaker 2: Okay, And what is the website for your fiber? Because I'm trying, I think I might be putting it in wrong, and because I want to get some right.
Speaker 7: Now, myyday dot.
Speaker 3: Com, myyday dot com.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, so this is the first nightly gut mind supplement, so we want to do it at night so that you get the magnesium to help with sleep. There's a whole science around sleep and gut health. So I wrote a book which I think you may know about, called Gut Renovation right here. It just came out recently, and it's all about how the gut microbiome really affects every aspect of our health. And I called it gut Renovation because it's really about, you know, I do a little metaphor where every room is every chapter is a room. So the bedroom is about how sleep affects your gut and vice versa. The home gym is about exercising your gut, but the sleep, the bedroom chapter is all about such great research showing that imbalances in your gut microbiome can lead to insomnia, poor quality sleep, and the reverse is true if you're not sleeping well, that can actually cause the bad bactery to overgrow and in your gut and the good bacteriy to become diminished. So there's a really interesting and important relationship between the two and that's why I wanted to include the magnesium in the A day supplement so that I'm ensuring like you're going to have a great night's sleep, which then sets you up for that regular morning bellet movement, great gut health, and you're ready to like start your day on the right foot.
Speaker 4: Is there a food with magnesium if I don't want to take a supplement? Is there like something I could put in my diet that.
Speaker 5: There are nuts?
Speaker 7: There are a lot of nuts have magnesium. I think pumpkin seeds are a good source of magnesium as well. It's some of that easy to get. I mean, you will get some in your diet. I just think for there are a lot of people that are magnesium deficient that don't realize it. But yes, you can absolutely get it in your diet.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm adding to Kart right now. My question is do I have this? Do I drink this on an empty stomach or no?
Speaker 7: It doesn't have to be in an empty stomach, but we recommend it right before bed or soon before bed because you are going to get sleepy. Like the first time I took it, and I'm a pretty light sleeper, and then my son came into my room and I had fell hold to sleep at like eight o'clock because I took it to and like I never I've always wake up with someone walks into my room, and this time I did it, so so yeah, it's just meant to be taken before bed. But it doesn't need to be an empty stomach at all.
Speaker 2: Okay, boom ordered, we're doing this all right, Well, thank you so much for coming on. I feel like this is very informative. We've talked, you know about the taboo hemorrhoids. Amy is just chilling with their little blueberries right now. You know, it's just and it's all good. You guys go get your call in checked. I'm gonna go get mine checked.
Speaker 5: Oh good before we hang up.
Speaker 4: When you sneezed or coughed when you add the hemorrhoid, did you feel it in the.
Speaker 2: Hemorrhoids listen, I felt it with every second breath like, I mean, it was awful. It was literally the worst. I mean I would cry in the shower so many times. Oh but it's better, is awful? Yeah, it's totally like, yeah, it's totally better now good good.
Speaker 6: Send us your hemorrhid questions like we can do it totally.
Speaker 7: There's so much about hemorrhids or just gut health in general, like trust, There's a lot, a lot to talk about, so I would love to go back. But thank you, ladies. I met d R doctor Roshnie Roj on Instagram and everywhere else and of course myyaday dot com, and I would love to I hope you do get your colonoscopy in honor of colon Cancer Awareness Month and let us know how it goes, because you'll definitely inspire a lot of other young women to do the same.
Speaker 2: Awesome. Well, thank you guys so much. First, yeah, I wanted to do that, Amy, thanks for coming on. Thanks, thank you for being vulnerable and gus so much.
Speaker 4: There's nobody in the world I trust more to text about my hemorrhoid than you.
Speaker 3: I feel very honored. Thank you. Okay, thanks guys. All right, Sea, I talked to you soon.