Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys. This is Mick Shot screaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are.
Speaker 2: Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Nicky Spagnola Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna be sucked in here, so I'm not point to I almost started humming, I'm not gonna be sucked in.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: Yes, the Cowboys won the offseason, won the draft, and we're looking ahead at twenty twenty three, and I've got the schedule in front of me, and I've.
Speaker 4: Got w w w w ww. I got s seventeen ws on this schedule. It is a victory Monday already, that you're at the start.
Speaker 6: Does it make you laugh when after the schedule comes out the next day, everybody's got to go through and pin their wins and losses.
Speaker 4: What do you mean the next day it's the first thing I do.
Speaker 6: It's like you knew who they're playing, why didn't you just do it next three months ago?
Speaker 4: Now we know the order of all So that's going to make a difference.
Speaker 3: On how I think weeks of desperation.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, there's too much time on your.
Speaker 4: And at least one of us, I'm assuming, make it. You saw them on Saturday. I did, all right, at least one of them saw the New Cowboys. Yea, where were you guys Saturday? Well, I was at a for and under soccer game four and under. They're they're playing soccer at age four these well, actually, my grandson, James actually started.
Speaker 6: I thought you were going to call it, yeah, broadcast.
Speaker 3: Learning soccer.
Speaker 4: Actually, my grandson he started playing at age three. James started playing last year age three. This year, he finally got up the courage to go on the field at age four, and he was in the vicinity of the gold in his last game on Saturday morning and almost kicked the ball into the goal but didn't.
Speaker 3: Was the ball the ball was right, So age three he was on the team.
Speaker 4: He was on the team, but he didn't get out of his mama's lap on the field. So that's where I was on Saturday morning. I was there hoping that James would finally kick the soccer ball. So, but you had more important things to do.
Speaker 6: That's right. Watched twenty seven rookies and two tryout guys go on the field and do drills.
Speaker 3: Is any one of them a fullback? Yes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, yes, Hunter Loopke or lipke Lepke Looke Lipkey. He looks like he looks like a fullback.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But they didn't do it.
Speaker 4: Producer Supreme. Producer Supreme said something about him.
Speaker 3: What was that.
Speaker 6: No, he said, no helmets, helmet. It was a glorified no helmets and no head. Coach mm hmm had a back procedure, Mike McCarthy, which was good because towards the end of the season he was having trouble standing up there long enough to do his press conferences. So he had that ton. Yeah, and they had one full field because the remnants of the Academy Awards, the Country Awards.
Speaker 3: Still there on the field, right.
Speaker 6: That's a good thing it didn't rain because they couldn't gone inside.
Speaker 4: They're still taking that down today. There's a few more palates that are coming off that field, right.
Speaker 6: So it was a busy weekend out here or week out here at the start, including the release of the schedule.
Speaker 4: That's right. Cool, So we've got much to get to and this is a reality really sets in for these rookies today. Though, okay, they were. It was a rookie orientation over the weekend. And now they get to rubbed shoulders with the veterans.
Speaker 6: Right right, And that was the idea to kind of get them used to the drills they were going to do and kind of the order of things that go on. Now they'll continue the weight and conditioning, plus the coaches on the field with the veterans today already got started.
Speaker 7: So so okay, the scheduling and the off season. I do recall us having a you know, OT eight with just rookies.
Speaker 3: Right, I remember that.
Speaker 6: Uh No, it was a mini camp just rookies. Yeah, two days. It's the same thing, basically an orient Because you said Ota.
Speaker 3: It's the same thing.
Speaker 7: I'm talking about that now, you know what I'm trying to do, trying to compare that.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to figure out, you know, what do they do from here? Because I would call rookies going in first, they do. Rookies still go in first without the.
Speaker 6: Veterans Friday and Saturday.
Speaker 7: No, I mean training camp, No, no, no, no, yeah, I'm comparing all of that.
Speaker 4: When you go way back into the day the rookies would show up in thousand Oaks about fourth of July. I was right after the fourth of July, basically for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: Ever since we have rules now.
Speaker 4: And that's that's a great point because but even the rules have changed, even from five years ago, from two years ago they did with the new CBA, and this offseason goes very very quickly for those coaches. Every one of these days is so important for not only for the rookies, even starting right now out because of the limited amount of time that they can work with it with.
Speaker 6: And if I remember correctly, it goes even quicker for the Cowboys because I think they got fined a practice or two for working too hard.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, that's right, that's right to physically.
Speaker 3: Who snitched, who dropped a dime.
Speaker 6: I'm sure they have somebody in the NFL or nfl PA hovering overhead.
Speaker 3: Right because we would go in.
Speaker 7: I think we were ten days without anyone, just rookies, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 4: Ten days.
Speaker 7: I know we're getting way ahead, But it was ten days without anyone, just just rookies. In the veterans, the wide receivers and the running backs and qbs would come in after ten not not the D line and the O line and all that, just a specialist.
Speaker 3: And then they come here, comes to the big guys.
Speaker 4: What would you do in May?
Speaker 3: May wouldn't do anything?
Speaker 4: Yeah, see that was that was the difference then, is that you.
Speaker 6: Have a mini camp.
Speaker 3: It's ot as it was mini camp.
Speaker 4: Back there, but it would be that would be like a three day mini camp.
Speaker 3: It would That's what it was, right, It was a three day mini camp.
Speaker 4: Rather than a which is basically a two month off season program that it's voluntary. And now you do have the three day mandatory mini camp to come.
Speaker 3: Everybody out of shape, Yeah, because we hadn't done anything. And that's why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why you pick.
Speaker 3: Train the camp to get in shape.
Speaker 7: You would go to camp most guys out of shape, and you get in shape in training camp.
Speaker 3: That's why it was so much barfing going on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well there used to be barfing going on in the rookie mini camp until they decided to pull back and not get out there and start playing eleven on eleven or seven on seven because they were getting so many injuries because guys weren't in shape even though they had just gone through the draft process. They were preparing for the combine the Underwear Olympics and workouts and they're traveling to pro days.
Speaker 7: And now BIB board did have an off season program for all of us laid out, but it was up to you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so well it's kind of up to them now, but you.
Speaker 3: Better be here. It's different, right volunteering now.
Speaker 6: Unless you're parties and you decide you want to work out in Austin instead of here.
Speaker 4: Well, the other part of it is there's a lot more money flowing around these days, and so you can have your own personal trainers, and.
Speaker 3: So I think they do. They have incentives to work out in some of them.
Speaker 7: Do y see they didn't give it down back then.
Speaker 6: Workout bonuses for guys that you think might be lazy.
Speaker 4: Interesting Yeah wow, But you just look at the calendar even now and they set up right now. And we talk about the n f L, p A and the and the CBA and the limited amount of time that coaches have to work with a lot of it's on the players, and you know, especially these teams that have new quarterbacks coming, like a Bryce Young, like a CJ. Stroud in Houston. The time is running short already for rookies to get acclimated and learn what it takes and to start learning a playbook and so forth. That's being implemented as we go along.
Speaker 7: And free agency much more prevalent now. Of course, back then you wouldn't have many guys changing teams at all.
Speaker 6: And if you look at it, by the middle of June, they're done until they go to training camp, and here is six weeks between. It seems counterproductive. Why don't you do this and then lead into training camp?
Speaker 4: They got to have vacation on a vacation, vacation, vacation.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 6: You sound like a player.
Speaker 4: Don't you think the coaches need a vacation.
Speaker 3: I think coaches really need a vacation.
Speaker 6: They should the vacations first and then lead into training camp.
Speaker 7: But they probably see that as too continuous, you know, I mean, it's stressful out.
Speaker 4: You got to get the hay in the barn. Here's the deal. If if you took a vacation now and then had the rookies everybody start reporting June fifteenth whatever, okay, May fifteenth, The June fifteenth is vacation time, and then you get everybody is the build up for training camp and so forth. The coaches are going to be they're not going to be taking a vacation now because you just got these players and you got to get these players up to speak. Now for the next month, you can at least mentally get them up to speed on everything. Now they know what they have to do. Now you're on your own for a month before training camp to stay in shape and learn this playbook.
Speaker 3: And so got split it up.
Speaker 4: And then the other part of it is the season is so long where if you started June fifteenth, then you're playing until hopefully it'll February fifteenth. So vacation, we don't get vacation.
Speaker 6: There's no lead out.
Speaker 4: So that's right, every day's of vacation.
Speaker 6: All right, So what did you think of the schedule?
Speaker 3: And alright, anything h New York Jets. Baby.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you what the disappointing thing was is the Cowboys three preseason games, and we were figuring they would play one away preseason game at Vegas, but it's a home game, so they're going to Seattle Way for the one.
Speaker 4: And for those who don't know the preseason schedule, Week one is Jacksonville at home. Week two at Seattle and then Week three Las Vegas at home.
Speaker 6: So that sounds like a little bit of travel because they're going to end up traveling here for the home game from training camp, going back out there, and then traveling to Seattle, and who knows if they go back to ox.
Speaker 4: Think they would come here.
Speaker 6: First, straight here and show up after you're gone four and a half weeks. You show up at five o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 4: And we don't have the exact dates yet. They haven't been set on the preseason schedule. It just goes by weeks, and so you can play anywhere between a Thursday and a Sunday in one of the preseason weeks.
Speaker 6: Hey, maybe they get a break on game two, they play the Jets here and Aaron Rodgers he won't be acclimated to his new team already.
Speaker 4: But do you ask the question what stood out more than anything? It's for the first six on the road and in the middle of the schedule you get five of seven at home and then you close with three out of four on the road.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, but you know it's kind of equitable. You get those that stretch of home games and obviously you got to play away games and they got to play one more extra road game right this year on the seventeen game schedule, because.
Speaker 4: The NFC teams are playing at the AFC teams on that seventeenth game.
Speaker 6: Right here, and what stuck out to me is the three game stretch where you got to play home against Philadelphia, at Buffalo, and at Miami. That's going to be a tough grind. And then even coming home against Detroit, who's which is a much improved team.
Speaker 4: So much improved that they get the Marquee game staff. The seasons come a long way, Dan Campbell before the game, that's what hard knocks will do for you.
Speaker 6: But that that three game stretch Philadelphia, Buffalo, Miami with at Buffalo and at Miami, that's a pretty that right there, to me, is going to determine what happens with this team.
Speaker 7: I'm just looking at different matchups that would be exciting, and you know what goes with it, the two row games October eighth, October sixteenth, San Francisco and Chargers.
Speaker 3: I think early on that will let us know where we are.
Speaker 6: And it's not only they're both away games meaning long trips. Right The fortunate thing is the going back for the Chargers game. It's a Monday night game, so you get an extra day and the bye to recover. And then yeah, and the buye is in a good spot after what's six games, but it's really after nine games with the three preseason games. So yeah, I just thought when you look at it, it's fair. Uh. The good thing is they're not you know, I know the games at Carolina, Uh, the Sunday before Thanksgiving, but that's not that long of a flight.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: And then you play the next two Thursday nights at home Washington Seattle, where there's been previous years they've played a night game in New York. It seemed like on Sunday, come back and play on Thanksgiving and then go on the road again on the following Thursday. And so at least they gave them somewhat of a break there. Plus the Thursday game obviously it's a night game, so it's a night game. And then they get the long break and play another night game at Philadelphia. So five primetime games along with Thanksgiving.
Speaker 7: NFC East the back part of the season, second part of the season, a lot of home games for the NFC East that'll keep us in contention in case we start having some issues because we're on the road doing the first part of the season at Philly, first at New York. We don't get an NFC East home game until the Giants. Am I looking at this right?
Speaker 3: That's right?
Speaker 4: November twelfth, November twelfth the Giants, November twenty third, Washington, and then December tenth Philadelphia. You know, when you look at the schedule though, and compare it with the Eagles schedule and with all of your division rivals, there's only three games on the schedule that differ essentially from your rivals in the division. And because the NFC East is playing the AFC East and the NFC West this year, so everybody's playing those teams, and so for the Cowboys those three games that are different from the Eagles. The Cowboys, because they were the second place team in their division, will play at the Chargers at Carolina, and a home against Detroit, while you look at Philadelphia and they play at Kansas City, the first place team from the AFC West. Cowboys got the Chargers at Minnesota, the first place team in the NFC I'm sorry, they play Tampa Bay, which is the first place team from the NFC South. While the Cowboys get Carolina, and they get Minnesota, the first place team from the NFC North, while the Cowboys get Detroit.
Speaker 6: So, which is why when it comes to strength of schedule, Philly has the heart artist. They're playing their strength to schedule. They're playing teams with a five point fifty six winning percentage from last year. Miami second, the Cowboys, New England and the Giants are tied for third most at five forty nine. So yeah, and the reason why the Cowboys schedule looks so tough, Number one, they got to play within their division and everybody in the at six games against teams with at least eight wins. Right, remember last year it was the exact opposite.
Speaker 4: It's such an easy schedule because they get to play the right exactly. Yeah, that's right. In a year from now, we might be sitting there going, well, they got the easiest schedule because they're getting to play.
Speaker 6: Then, yeah and so, and also playing the AFC East, which includes Buffalo and Miami obviously the Jets. So what I what I what I UH saw was of the top nine strength of schedules, six of those teams are or No. Eight of the teams belong in the NFC East or the a f C East because number one, they got to play each other. Their division was pretty good last year it was and uh, and then they got to play against each other again.
Speaker 7: Look at right before Christmas, you're at Buffalo and at Miami back to back.
Speaker 3: I mean, these are these are some really intriguing.
Speaker 7: Matchups, and not just the one game matchup, but you're looking at stretches of intriguing matchups.
Speaker 6: Oh and one other note on that the NFC East was the only division without a team with a losing record.
Speaker 3: Then least you mean eight eight and one Washington. Okay.
Speaker 4: Producer Supreme has asked me to look up the Seattle's schedule prior to the Thursday night game against the Cowboys, which you pointed out. The Thursday, November thirtieth, Cowboys host Seattle. The week the games leading up to that for Seattle, the previous week they play Thanksgiving at home against San Francisco. That's the Thanksgiving night game, Okay, And the previous Sunday they play at the Rams, and prior to that at home against Washington.
Speaker 3: Why are we looking at that.
Speaker 6: Well, because they're doing the You were talking, Mickey that sometimes the NFL schedule us on the road, come home.
Speaker 3: Does that make the road and then on the road again. So that's what they have.
Speaker 4: So the week before Thanksgiving, Seattle plays at the Rams, comes home a three to twenty five game at home against San Francisco, and then they go on the road to Dallas. You know, I don't look at it the Thursday. I think it's really good for the Cowboys that they've got the Thursday game after the Thursday game because.
Speaker 6: And not have to break up another week.
Speaker 4: And then they get you know, for years the league thought that the Cowboys had an advantage by having the mini bye week the weekend after Thanksgiving. Well you just you just move it back a week and that they get the mini buy the more the longer stretch before their final stretch of the season. I think it'll benefit them going into playing a home game against Philadelphia December tenth, that they got some extra time before playing Philadelphia December tenth at home.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, absolutely, Yeah, that's uh. That helps out. But you still got to play the three games in twelve.
Speaker 7: Days tougher how you break it down, three games and twelve days.
Speaker 4: But everybody in the league's got to do that, right because everybody's got to play a Thursday game at some point, and now they're you know, they're two Thursday games for so and the Cowboys have been doing it for several years now getting two Thursday games. But it's good that they've always put it back to back.
Speaker 6: So night, September tenth, so you got Giants to open the season.
Speaker 4: I got seventeen and oh, okay, every year I have seventeen and oh or sixteen and oh prior to that.
Speaker 8: And then the wheels come off, and then a Super Bowl and a Super Bowls come off way before seen b.
Speaker 4: I do like the opener against Aaron Rodgers and the Jets.
Speaker 7: Do I love the home opener? Yeah, it's always good to have some excitement. I mean, it's not just the matchups, but you know the stuff that goes on off the field.
Speaker 4: And how about even the season opening weekend. The Cowboys play the Giants in the Sunday night game, and then on Monday night, same stadium, Aaron Rodgers and the Jets host the Buffalo Bills. So you can actually, Mickey stay over and scout the next opponent, the Aaron Rodgers or the Jets. If you want.
Speaker 3: You could take New York for a week, so the Jets will have a short week going into the camp.
Speaker 4: That's right. So there you go.
Speaker 3: You want to take a positive of that.
Speaker 6: Uh huh, poor Jets and Aaron.
Speaker 4: The other thing on this is him in the back rooms here at the Star in Frisco. How much are they focused?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 4: Now that's the that's what happens when the schedule comes out. Now you know your first few games of the season, and you can actually start preparing for Aaron Rodgers and the Jets knowing that okay, second game of the year, you can study as much Aaron Rodgers rather than if it were the seventh and seenth game of the year or the sixteenth game of the year. You know, you can pretty much.
Speaker 6: Expect that they So.
Speaker 7: You know, you look at these three these games. New York is looking to make some money for those two weeks. Especially Cowboys come to town. You've got just of course it's there for the year. And then Buffaloes comes down the first two weeks.
Speaker 4: First two days, first two days.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, but that gonna make some money that weekend.
Speaker 4: That's by design. Yeah, all right, we continue and we got to get mixed shots on what happened on Saturday morning here at the Star in Frisco, and we come back.
Speaker 9: I'm Duk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot Com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For crypto pros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than four twenty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at Mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the.
Speaker 3: Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 7: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 6: Hey honey, can we talk?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 4: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 3: Have you wrote this way a long time? No?
Speaker 10: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 6: If you feel that way, I think you should try it.
Speaker 4: Babe.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 6: I mean you're amazing too, dude.
Speaker 9: Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 6: To mixed shots. Kpe Post Roofing and Waterproofing crowd partner of the Dallas Cowboys from corporate homes to your home. Have your roof checked by choice, not by chance. Call now and we're gonna memorize this phone number two one four two two five four eight six oh kpostcompany dot Com.
Speaker 4: All right, very good. That was almost as good as you read last Monday. Yeah, when you didn't have the script in front of him, you did it by memory.
Speaker 6: We sort of free lance.
Speaker 3: That was horrible that we should know that by all.
Speaker 6: You guys, I know we just read it. We don't think about it, right.
Speaker 4: Okay, So on Saturday morning, the Cowboys had a open practice for the media to come watch these rookies. By the way, we should point out on Saturday night Big Game, Bob and the Yes Arlington Renegade wanted XFL champions the four and six beat that team from Washington. Yeah, and Dallas continues its mastery over those teams.
Speaker 6: From Washington and beat Houston Wade Phillips next playoff game, the Big Game.
Speaker 4: Bob, Sure can he knew how to trade for a quarterback? That's right? Well, Louise Perez out of Texas A and M Commerce. Does he signed with anyone.
Speaker 6: Yet unless he did it today? I hadn't seen that he had. Ben Denucci signed with Denver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Denver Bronco Broncos. Wow.
Speaker 6: Really he turned in his XFL season into at least a tryout workout with Jennifer.
Speaker 4: I'm doing searches on Luis Perez, the MVP, who, by the way, was the Harlan Hill Trophy winner at Texas A and m COMMERCE, leading them national championship in about twenty sixteen, or this guy man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I coached him at this art game. Yes.
Speaker 6: Well, he's been around to several leagues and you know, off seasons with NFL teams, and.
Speaker 4: He was not with this Arlington Renegades team as the season started. He was with Vegas, the Vegas Vipers, and then the the very shrewd Bob Stoops picked him up and they let him do a championship.
Speaker 6: He had a pretty good championship game too, stats were good.
Speaker 4: And of the game against Wade Phillips defense too. He did not throw a pick through three touchdown passes in each of those games. It was aiightman like from.
Speaker 8: Now as bringing down the bitch, please jes Well in nineteen ninety two and he had nine touchdown passes and only one pick in the postseason.
Speaker 6: His only downside is I think he's twenty eight, so I don't know if teams will take a chance on a twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Year old quarterbacks. Probably until that thirty eight this shouldn't be a problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but at this point he's trying to be the third quarterback.
Speaker 4: Propably, so I'd take a look at him.
Speaker 3: No, you wouldn't know. You would, You wouldn't. I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: There's also another player on their team, Willie Taylor, a defensive player who might be their top defensive player, and he was draft eligible, went undrafted. He started his career at Washington State and he wound up at Eastern Kentucky, and he decided instead of doing preparing for the draft and doing that stuff, he decided to go ahead and play in the XFL this spring. And I would imagine he is getting signed pretty quickly here.
Speaker 6: So what do you guys want to know? Fire away? See if I have answers for you for the mini who quarterback we got to we got to meet that some of the draft choices on Friday. We had open locker room and then they didn't really have a workout. The quarterback was one. Where's my list here? Matthew Matthew McKay from Elon an undrafted rookie on a tryout, right, So yeah, he was. I saw somebody taking snaps on Friday when they were above the weight room, and I was like, well, maybe they just made somebody who played high school football as a quarterback take some snaps. But they brought him had two guys in his on tryout basis. But they really didn't do you know, they didn't do much.
Speaker 4: The reason I asked that the Cowboys just have three quarterbacks on the roster, right, yes, and so do they need to add a fourth quarterback just to get through for in our developmental guy to maybe a practice squad guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but if they thought that was a priority, they would have brought somebody in more than a try out, right, So.
Speaker 4: So they haven't found one that they liked it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that says, okay, we're gonna you know, I'm not gonna say waist snaps on, but you know, get.
Speaker 3: Very crude throughout your career of go ahead and say, you know, I don't.
Speaker 6: Try to be nice now the camp body, right, all right? You mentioned uh there were no kickers there.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: Tristan Viscayano uh is on this roster. Fossil talked at great length about kickers uh, And I thought his key thing was when somebody said, so, what are you looking at at kicker and he said, right now, Tris and anybody on Earth that's not on another team right now. So it's wide open. He pointed out. He goes, there's no secret that there's you know, three veterans out there that people know, Mason Crosby, Robbie Gould and Ryan suck Up. Part of the problem with some of these guys is their kickoffs. Like gool you would need a kickoff guy, And that was something that I think got overlooked of how well Brett Maher did the whole season long, not only was still out there too. And by the way, his name David, you didn't mention him, no, no, no, no, Fossil. Fossil basically said anything's open at this point. And if you think about what he did this year, now he kicked in twenty two games if we count preseason. If the Cowboys and make the playoffs, think about this and the season he had. Somebody would have paid him and maybe the Cowboys three million dollars a year, right, And unfortunately he had the one game at Tampa Bay, and that kind of clouded his entire.
Speaker 3: And the San Francisco game was kind of.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was the first time, a little bit shaky. But if you looked at the regular season, he was twenty nine of thirty two on field goals and two of the misses were from fifty nine and one from forty six. He was fifty to fifty three on extra points, and if I remember, I think one of them might have gotten blocked. So at nine of eleven on fifty plus field goal attempts.
Speaker 7: So here's my thing. Was there any game that we could say or two games, I'd say two and not just one game. Can we say two games where he lost the game for us with his inability to make field goals or extra points.
Speaker 6: Well, they overcame the extra points against Tampa Bay in the playoffs. Yes, San Francisco one got blocked, right, but it was it was really bad, and then he made another one, by the way, So no, I don't think he ended up losing. They were going to lose that Washington game and there was a little struggle there. And if we remember Tampa Bay, remember before when I came back, I told you the field was lumpy. Yeah, and he got I think he got psyched out on it when he was walking around on it. But other than that, I asked, and he's still out there, and from what I can tell is he really hasn't had a workout anywhere. He's back in Nebraska with his family.
Speaker 7: I just asked it because your stats, the stats that you just called out, they were amazing. And that's we could look at it as you know, optimistic versus pessimistic, Right, are we so optimistic about what he's done previously to And it was a stretch of games. It wasn't just like a spot.
Speaker 6: Here and then he didn't miss.
Speaker 7: This was a stretch of games. I'm talking about the incompetence. This is stretch of games where what the hell is going on right right now? This is when you want to start doing this?
Speaker 3: And he is.
Speaker 7: They've lost all confidence, I believe, lost all confidence in him in the locker room.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that if they're going to have a kickoff, I mean, do you at least give him that opportunity.
Speaker 7: I think he deserves a lot more than what he's getting now. But it's difficult to make a case for him right and that is the dilemma.
Speaker 3: He was amazing throughout the regular finish.
Speaker 6: The finished the regular season making ten of ten field goals and a.
Speaker 7: Couple of those botes they had. He had some a couple of field goals that will really clutch for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, during the season.
Speaker 6: So but you know, they did they they liked the guys they got drafted in the this year, but they went in the third and fourth round. They were thinking, well, they knew if they didn't do it in the third or fourth they weren't going to get either one of them.
Speaker 4: Clearly other teams liked them too.
Speaker 6: Yes, Uh, Ryland was the one they liked the most, and I think he went in the fourth round. The kid from Michigan went in the third round. Ryland was from Maryland. Uh, they were hoping, they were hoping fifth or sixth, but that wasn't gonna happen. So now, you know, you look at what's going on in the USFL, the XFL. I think what they they're thinking is if you bring in a veteran, you know what you're getting, right, You've seen it. The guy's got some history in the NFL. But again, you know those guys probably are waiting till somebody gets desperate. So Viscayano has not been terrible in the NFL. He just hasn't really gotten much of an opportunity. Uh So he's going to get an opportunity, and they're gonna have to you know, Judge, can they because they brought him in here before, you know, can they go with this? Or is there somebody else out there that.
Speaker 7: If he would have continued with the same consistency throughout the playoffs end of the season, throughout the playoffs, we wouldn't really be looking at Mayes.
Speaker 6: Oh no, they would have paid him three million a year. Think about that.
Speaker 7: I still think we're in good position with a kicker. I still like him. You know, I wouldn't mind going into the season with him. I feel very confident in that. How does he feel the question? Has anyone interviewed them and talked to him?
Speaker 6: I haven't seen anything. So and then it's a matter of you know, when you bring him, are you holding your breath?
Speaker 7: And that's the thing. No one feels confident about him right now. Yeah, as good a season as he had, and that's just the dilemma. We should feel better about him and we don't.
Speaker 6: And you would have a new deep snapper this year. The holder would still be the same the hold.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So anyway, that was a big part of Fossil's discussion when he did his interview.
Speaker 4: That's watching a lot of USFL games, watch everything, right.
Speaker 6: And uh and then he you know, two of his best guys Gifford and who was the other guy, Noah Brown no longer here, So he's got some openings on. I know, people don't, you know, worry about special teams, but one of the guys that I think you can put a circle around is Overshawn. They look at him, is maybe a really good special teams player and then how do you say it? Bill lip Key Hunter Lepke. He's a do everything dude. Pretty interesting guy because when I was talking to him, I go, so full back. You didn't grow up wanting to be a fullback, right? And he was a running back quarterback in high school and he got to North Dakota State and they said, hey, why don't we try this? But not only he wasn't just a lead blocker. He ran the football from a tailback position at North Carolina State, North Dakota State, North Dakota I'm sorry and yeah in his career and he good hands. They threw the ball to him, and I also double checked with him and it was like, so, did they really snap it to you in wild card? He goes, absolutely, they did. So he was kind of one of these do everything guys. And when I mentioned I mentioned special teams, he goes, oh, yeah, all four. So that's another spot that they've got to be able to fill.
Speaker 3: He could be another different Yeah, it'd be good.
Speaker 4: His stats at North Dakota State, would you like his career stats or his last season at Altago? Last last season and ten games played, he had ninety eight carries for six hundred and twenty one yards and nine touchdowns, averaging six point three yards of carry. He had fourteen receptions for one hundred and ninety six yards and four touchdowns.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but look at his career.
Speaker 4: Career career touchdowns he had thirty three. He had twenty four rushing and nine receiving touchdowns in his career at North Dakota State.
Speaker 6: So interesting, and he's like one of these guys that will basically do whatever they ask.
Speaker 4: Right, how big is he? He's listed as six to one and one quarter inch tall, two hundred and thirty four pounds. That's what he was at the combine Can he become that big, burly fullback in this.
Speaker 6: Six one thirty six game was what They've got him listed here, And I don't know if at this point he's the guy that's going to go and dig it out, but he knows what to do. He also played tight end for him too.
Speaker 3: By the way, that's six' one.
Speaker 4: He's not playing tighty end.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, yeah, good, no, but he can.
Speaker 6: I'm saying he can line up outside if you if he's in as a full bank package. Yeah, yeah, so interesting interesting guy. Tell The other guy that was pretty interesting to me was Isaiah land Fam you they had him listed as a defensive end, but he if you think about this, when I saw his size, he's six four two fifteen, what does that sound like?
Speaker 3: Wow, he sounds like a linebacker.
Speaker 6: That's where Yeah. And so he said they had him as edge and line back actor. Uh and and maybe he's the next you know, most j Rod.
Speaker 7: Curse most edges they can't cover one on one. Yeah, and that he's going to have to cover one on one as a lineback.
Speaker 6: But as he was the FCS twenty twenty one Defensive Player of.
Speaker 4: The Year, he won the Buchanada A ward.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so best defense kind of go to college, that's okay, don't.
Speaker 3: State university.
Speaker 6: But anyway, I thought that was that was a rhetorical question, right, And they had a lot of guys that it's kind of working multiple places, like the Awesome Richards, the tackle in the fifth round.
Speaker 3: What's his name?
Speaker 6: Awesome?
Speaker 4: It's not a C, Yes, I am, but it's pronounced awesome.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 6: He was a tackle at North Carolina. He was working at guard. The fourth round pick, Junior Fijoko was a defensive end but in a three four at San Jose State. But he said that they are looking at me as an edge and three techniques.
Speaker 3: The steal of the draft for the Cowboys. Cornerback, Oh, Eric Scott, Yes, did you talk to him?
Speaker 6: I missed his interview because I was talking with Brian Schottenheimer at the time, and but I you know, I read about him, and you know he may be and he looked good out there. I mean he's six ' to one playing corner. The other guy that's interesting is Miles.
Speaker 3: Tom Wait, let me find it.
Speaker 6: Miles Brooks, Okay, cornerback Louisiana Tech. He spent his first three years at steven F Austin. Uh, they really like him six Uh interesting fact I found out about him. So he's from Fluggerville, Deuce Vaughan, Round Rock. They had ended up playing against each other in high school, but as a fresh when they were starting their freshman years in high school, Chris Vaughan the Cowboys. Scott Dews's dad started coaching a seven on seven team in Austin. They didn't have a seven on seventeen when Deuce was going into high school and he started coaching one and he had those two guys on his team. So just a little that is interesting.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, you've got one more break, and then I want to hear about Mickey's conversation with Brian Shott when we come back here.
Speaker 3: On mix Shots.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: I'm Douk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away. Put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 3: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 9: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trust it by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 4: Hey Cowboys fans, ready to spice up your next watch party, Bring Yo Kiero guacamole and be the game day hero. Yo kiro means I want and we know you want. Great, fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices, it will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertsons or tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero, Yo Kiero Guacamole.
Speaker 7: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team Hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel to book your travel package today.
Speaker 6: To mixed shots. Register now for the twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboy Youth Camps, presented by a visual line. Athletes ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at at and T Stadium or Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players, and dance camps are taught by the current Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. Use code Camp twenty three to get twenty five dollars off registration. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash camps. Are you teaching? Are you teaching camps?
Speaker 7: I'm not teaching camps, and I'm gonna have to start reading taking over the readings pretty bad.
Speaker 6: All right? Those new ones are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I get ready.
Speaker 4: Final couple of minutes here of mixed shots and some news quarterback news around the league. Matt Ryan no longer on the market.
Speaker 6: He was retired.
Speaker 4: He's going to CBS, going to CBS as a gig.
Speaker 6: Coming after your job.
Speaker 4: He's like a doctor, didn't he Doctor Ryan?
Speaker 3: Doctor? Iyan? Soap up with that?
Speaker 6: Okay, you're ready for my cliff.
Speaker 4: There was there was a quarterback. There was a quarterback in this league, last name Ryan, who was a doctor? Okay, okay, I'll have that at the end of the show for you, Mickey. In the meantime, that's a little trivia question. Who is the who is the quarterback in this league? Who was a doctor? But you go ahead, Mickey and say what you're going to say first.
Speaker 6: All right, quick few notes here. Dan Quinn cleared up this deal about Parsons being a full time defensive end just because he said he wanted to put on some more weight at the home run derby, and basically he was putting on another five or seven pounds. He said a muscle. Dan Quinn said he's a pass rushing linebacker, so they're not making a position change there. Scoon Maker, scoon Maker tight end. He didn't do much. I think he's still recovering from a shoulder repair. But I was told that he is a pretty good blocker, and Brian Schottenheimer said he can control the SA gap, meaning at the end of the line of scrimmage in the run game that he can block. And he also said he watches tape of one Jason Witten, so at least he's good head on his shoulders. Right, Let's see what else I got here real quick, I said Isaiah Lamb. We did lucky, oh Darien Thompson, he's an assistant coach now helping out and he was working with Overshewan on his linebacker drops working pretty hard too. And the surgery that Tony Pollard.
Speaker 3: Had, remember we're getting an update.
Speaker 6: He fractured the ale fibula, but it was up high, which they didn't do anything. That'll just take care of itself. But the ligament danes damage he had was between the tibia and the phibia, and what he had instead of them going in and using screws. Now they call it a tight rope surgery where they go in and basically tie the ligaments from the front and back together and they don't have to go back in and take out the screws. I was told. And it's the same surgery that Tua had when he sprained his ankle.
Speaker 8: So that sounds like more of a sprain, yeah, but it's it was like two ligaments and so at the tip of the bottom tip.
Speaker 6: So that's when he faster, faster recovery. He don't need a second surgeon, okay.
Speaker 3: And he's a healthy doing.
Speaker 6: He was out there doing rehab. I mean not during the mini camp, but he's been out there rehabbing. And oh and Terrence Steele basically said that they told him his recovery is being a lot faster than most guys and it just listening to him, it didn't sound like they mentioned anything about playing guard to him. So for now May fifteen, he's a tackle.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Now, would you like to know the answer to my triper?
Speaker 6: I was trying to hurry so we had time for that.
Speaker 4: All right. You don't have any ian.
Speaker 3: Very important.
Speaker 4: You have no idea who I'm talking about. A doctor name Ryan who played quarterback in the National Football League Falcons. Nope, he played for the Cleveland Browns. He lost a playoff game to your Dallas Cowboys. Oh, fifty two to fourteen in nineteen sixty seven. Christmas Eve, nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 3: He's got it.
Speaker 6: He's got it, Bill, it's one.
Speaker 4: A doctor name Ryan who played quarterback in the National Football He.
Speaker 3: Was ten years younger.
Speaker 4: He would have just Oh, Mickey used to be able to get this.
Speaker 6: I know it.
Speaker 4: He making sure on this. Okay, you want me to tell your heads?
Speaker 6: Put me out, Doctor Frank Ryan. Ryan.
Speaker 4: Frank Ryan, who by the way, was born in Fort Worth, Texas, with to Pascal High School. He earned his doctorate in mathematics at Rice University. No, but he was a doctor, doctor Frank Ryan. I remember the great Frank Blieber calling him Doctor Frank Ryan. Quarterback in the Cleveland Browns against the Cowboys. And it was a great Cowboys victory. It was very good, fifty two to fourteen in nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 6: And now you know to the hospital and the rest and that of the story that got him to the NFL Championship game against green Bay.
Speaker 4: And you didn't have to bring that up. Oh sorry, yes, but it did. And that was the Ice Bowl, Yes, it was the following week. Okay, so there you go.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, greatest, So.
Speaker 4: Hopefully Matt Ryan will have the same post NFL career that Frank Ryan.
Speaker 8: Greatest, Greatest, I can't remember that greatest in a septed in the end zone at the end of the game.
Speaker 4: By the way, Okay, we'll have more on that when we convene again next Monday for another edition of mix Shots, Oh Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.