Speaker 1: Welcome to jag Zam. I'm kind Annie Stephens, Brian Sexton, and John Oser are with me today as we recapped Week one heartbreaking loss for the Jaguars in Miami as they lose on a game winning field goal by the Dolphins as time expired. But should it have ever gotten to that point? We're gonna start out with big thing number one that melt down in Miami. Things We're all going the Jaguars way in the first half, then a fumble in the second half and the momentum completely shifted.
Speaker 2: Just let's just when you know, I mean, what do you want to lose? You want to go and look at the film, you want to be pissed off. And I feel like each and every week we got ahead a mindset, I get want to know, and I feel like we just have to just flush it, you know, be critical of what happened on film, and next week I tackle with from mindset. You know, it's a whole new week, NFL. It's one week at a time. You know, we can't let this carry on in this week because it's not going to let us be out besto. And now we had to flush this and have to get better and be.
Speaker 3: Better for my teammate Brian.
Speaker 1: So much about that loss yesterday was frustrating to watch from a fans perspective.
Speaker 3: I'm sure for the players as well.
Speaker 1: But last year their problem was letting this carry over week after week after week. How do they not do that this time?
Speaker 4: Well, listen, I heard things from Travis there, from Trevor. It's what I harped on all offseason. They were one and four in the big games last year, and I thought yesterday was a big game. They've got to get over this hump. And I don't know whether it's beating Cleveland or beating Buffalo, They've got to win one of these games at the end where it's close, because right now it doesn't appear that is in their makeup. Trevor Lawrence talked about it in the post game yesterday what his expectations are. Listen, you had the fumble and then the explosive play. Don't forget Parker Washington fumbled on the kickoff after touchdown, and if it wasn't for incredible effort to get it either get it back, I mean, it could have been even worse. So it's a great reminder that in this league it is one game at a time, one play at a time, because everything can change, as it did when that fumble got punched out.
Speaker 5: Look, there's plenty to take away from this game positive. The offensive line played better, the defense I thought I played really well. There were moments. The problem is in the last five, six, seven games eighting back to last season, it's a team that it gets close and doesn't win. In the NFL. Who cares about the moments, Who cares about the improvement? You gotta win. So I'm with Brian, with everybody. This is a big week to show that this isn't who you are. The theme in the post game yesterday was hey, it's only one game, it's one to seventeen. Well, you can't have it be two seventeen and in three seventeen. You got to fix this. You got to get it right. Cleveland's a tough spot, but that's the task this week. The veterans have to step up.
Speaker 3: Umber two for us going to be offensive.
Speaker 1: The offense was clicking all cylinders seemingly in the first half, but it was the tail of two halves in the second half. It seemed to be a huge issue for the offense and they couldn't get anything going.
Speaker 6: No, it was trying to stay on the field, and you know it really just wanted to stay on the field, execute the play, stay on the field first and ten they stopped us me to play and then you know it turned into a good situation because you know they ended up missing the field goal there, so, but no, just I just wanted to stay on the field.
Speaker 1: John, You were in the locker room post game a lot of those players, so they didn't feel like the Dolphins did anything different. It felt like they built. They beat themselves. The Jaguars felt like they beat themselves. What happened in the second half.
Speaker 5: Of the offense, Well, this is one of those games where there's going to be a disconnect between how the coaches see it and how the fans and the media see it. Meaning when the coaches look at this, they're gonna say, look, the running game was working, we were close on the running game. We stuck with the running game, and we just couldn't convert third downs. And that's all right. Jay War's only got fifty plays. When you only get fifty plays, it's hard to get a lot going offensively. It's hard to throw and run as much as you want there's gonna be a lot of complaints and angst about Trevor only throwing two times in the fourth quarter. They didn't have the ball that much. They kept going three and out. When you don't convert third down, Brian, it makes the whole offense look clunky, because it is. I think they're gonna think they were close. I think they're gonna like the good things, but you got to convert third down.
Speaker 4: Listen, you score that one touchdown and then all of this is, well, we can clean this up. However, in the fourth quarter they had twelve yards right, and then when they got the ball back, with the game tied at seventeen, with four to twenty two to play at their own thirty yard line, an opportunity take the forur minute offense, go down the field right, no game on the running play, sack sack, loss of ten yards. I mean, that's the part that you just chew on mentally. How with everything on the line right where you want to be. It's a one score game, right, It's a one score league. Most of the games are decided in the fourth quarter by less than eight points. You're right where you need to be and you can't get first down, you can't move the ball at all. That's the part where I'm scratching my head this morning, saying, how is this team unable to do anything, especially giving up back to back sacks. That's the part that for this week I'm gonna be asking that question.
Speaker 1: Our final big thing is gonna be empty tank. The defense was out there a lot of un Peterson alluded to in the second half. The offense couldn't stay on the field, so the defense was out there quite.
Speaker 3: Some amount of time. Before the game.
Speaker 1: You told me they were gonna hold them to two touchdowns, I would have said that I will give him a good shot.
Speaker 5: John.
Speaker 1: It was frustrating at times to watch, but the defense was great out there for most of the game, which just at the end when they've been out there so long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it kind of goes back to the fifty plays offensively. The only that many plays offensively the defense is on the field a lot more. I'm kind of like Brian on this one too. After the fumble, it took on sort of this air of inevitability about what was going to happen. To me. I think it was because you felt like the defense had done what it could. It had given a yeoman's effort the whole thing, and then once Tyreek hit the big play, you just kind of felt like the offense wasn't gonna get going, and then there wasn't quite enough left to stop the field goal drives. You know, it's such a game of circumstance. Had the fumble night happen, you're playing downhill the rest of the way. Defensively, it felt like they were on even footing the rest of the way, and the Dolphins were able to wear them down.
Speaker 4: Listen, you hold the Dolphins to seventeen points until the final play of the game. I mean, that's a win. This is the number one offense in football last year, number two in scoring, and you saw how Mike McDaniel did it on that final drive where they needed thirty one yards to set up the game winning field goal. He was swinging it outside to side and forcing the Jaguars defense, which had been on the field for most of the game, to run and chase I Chan and a lot of those guys that are so difficult to catch. In the first quarter, the Daguars defense, with what too ten left to play, gave up the thirty one yards and they just couldn't hold off the Dolphins anymore. But other than that little stretch there, and I really was excited about what I saw, and I'm sure Ryan Nielsen is too.
Speaker 3: Stay with us here on Jagzam.
Speaker 1: Coming back, we're gonna look at the tape from yesterday's game in Miami.
Speaker 3: Move the Move, the Freight, Move the Freight.
Speaker 1: Magellan Transport voted the coolest office space in Jacksonville. You can apply on line at www dot Magellanlogistics dot com. Also register your furry friend for the Jaguars Official Four Legged Fan Club for Pets, presented by Forevervet's Animal Hospital. Your pet will receive access to exclusive merchandise, events and sweepstakes throughout the twenty twenty four season to the Jaguars dot Com slash promotion slash four Legged Fan Club to sign up today, Welcome back into Jagzam.
Speaker 3: We did a little venue change for.
Speaker 1: You guys today as we take things over to the podcast studio. It's really I mean, I'm not gonna call out John, but John didn't want to come sit down in his favorite chair, so.
Speaker 5: Well, we did what the Jaguars have to do this week to do adversity. Something changed we moved on. So this is the tone center for the week.
Speaker 3: Right the way we go through the rest of the week, we'll set the tone for sure, sets the tone.
Speaker 5: Doug needs to mention this in the meeting.
Speaker 3: Let's stay the course and provide a good example.
Speaker 1: So let's go over some of the highlights from yesterday first, because the first half there were a lot of highlights that we saw, and we saw a lot of good play from the defense early on as well.
Speaker 3: But one of the things that impressed me the most was Brian Thomas Junior.
Speaker 1: We've been talking about him, what we expected from him, John, You've been talking about how you actually have some expectations for a rookie for once, but he more than exceeded what I was expecting to see from him.
Speaker 3: Right out of the gate. Getting this pass interference call.
Speaker 1: Against Dalen Ramsey and then chirping at him after shows me a little something about what we're going to see from.
Speaker 3: Him going forward.
Speaker 5: Well, I think he knows he belongs and you don't really see this from Thomas Junior when he speaks to the media, you don't see around the building. But when it came time to compete, when the lights came on. I don't get the feeling that he was necessarily looking for that. I think Jalen was probably talking earlier, be my guess, and BTJ made a play, But Brian. I think what impressed me most about Brian Thomas Junior was, you know, nothing looked overly difficult, and it didn't look like he was playing above himself. He just looked like he was playing and it looked like there's going to be things that come easy to him that don't come easy to most NFL receivers.
Speaker 4: He totally belongs. I mean his game translated from LSU to the pros immediately, like so many of the LSU receivers have over time. The thing I loved the most about this play is that Ramsey had to tackle him right.
Speaker 3: I mean, Ramsey knew and he still almost caught it beat.
Speaker 4: I get he had the hamstring, but Thomas is the exact opposite of Ramsey. If Ramsey had been a good guy in the locker room and a jerk on the field, everybody would have loved him. But he was a jerk on both. Thomas is a guy who is absolutely a great guy in the locker room, and I love that he turned and chirked right at Ramsey and you know he beat him on the other touchdown too. I mean, it's just what a great day for Brian tom Junior. Which she could celebrate it more, but coming in here today, he's not going to be.
Speaker 5: Able to yeah and think about this with him. He uh, this is the first game and he was huge on all three touchdown drives he had. On the field goal drive, I think he had a catch early. He If you know anything about wide receiver play in the NFL first game, you're operating at about a ten percent capacity of what you can be. This kid has a chance to be a star and to be, you know, Goboard one of the best receivers this franchise has ever seen. If yesterday's any is any indicator, well, it.
Speaker 4: Was Fred Taylor in our radio post game yesterday that made the comparison to Jimmy Smith. Now he didn't compare him directly. What he said was, I don't know that I've seen a receiver as big and talented as fast in Jacksonville since the guy who worried you too. Yeah, let him grow into that. But I'll say this, there are a lot of people who are concerned that Evan Ingram only got one catch yesterday for five yards. Hold tight. That's not going to hold because defenses are going to have to adjust to the size and speed of Brian Thomas Junior, and everything's going to get easier for those other guys.
Speaker 1: It's taking advantage of when you do get the ball though. We'll touch on that a little bit later on. But that PI call set up this touchdown from ETN. The running game was looking good early Tanks specifically as well. From what we saw, he was just running right through the center. They were setting up holes for him and he was going for it, and then they got away from it later, But John reimpressed with what the running game did early.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was and I think they stuck with it. And again a lot of my complaints in the inbox were about that they got away from Trevor in the fourth quarter at I didn't feel that the stats showed that more than I felt it. But the reason for that is they had success. They were four point nine a carry. That carried over to the second half where they said we're having success with this, we can't get away from it, and then it's sort of bit him a couple of times late. I mean, you know that success when you're sticking with it and you don't get it, then all of a sudden you're off the field fast, right. So I get why the coaches stayed with the run too, and I think over the course of time, sticking with it will have benefits. It didn't benefit him in the fourth quarter on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Doug said last week, the best defense against Miami's offense is the Jaguars offense staying on the field. And they knew they were more physical front than Miami, and they pushed them around up front. And when you had a lead and you didn't have to play from behind and you didn't have to throw the ball over the field on a hot day, man lean on those guys and get it done. I didn't have a problem with the play calling, and I'll touch on that when we get into our hot takes, but they just weren't as good in the second half at running the ball. Miami made plays.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Let's look at that second touchdown drive from the Jaguars, big catch by Christian Kirk to set things up, and then Brian Thomas Junior as well.
Speaker 3: Kirk had a rough day, but he did have a great catch here over the middle that kind of set things up.
Speaker 1: This is what you want to see when you can establish the run open things up, and whether it's Tim or Gave Davis had a couple of big plays over the middle as well. That's the offense we want to see from them being a little bit more dynamic. Brian, how do they continue to tap into this as the season goes forward?
Speaker 4: Lisen? You keep the running game going, and that means, by the way, consistent into the second half, be successful running the bowl and bringing those safeties up. I think Tang Pigsby is a great one two punch, and I have that physicality at the line of scrimmage. Bring the safeties up with what you got with Kirk and Ingram and Brian Thomas Junior. This will come. You've got to be able to be efficient and effective in the running game when you want to run. If they are his play action will work and it will work Wonderfulay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I said the top of the show. It's a tough game to analyze because you saw things like that that you liked, you know, I feel better about the running game yesterday, Yeah, than I think I did at any point last season.
Speaker 3: I'm going with you there.
Speaker 5: I don't remember every game, but they felt like they were getting things they wanted to do. Tank was running with power.
Speaker 3: You sort of know that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: The only concern I have is Travis Dtan is such a burst runner that if he's not getting as many carries as he did, does he have as many chances it bursts. But I think that'll work itself out. You feel good about that, You feel good about the weapons. You know, if they'd gotten the win, you'd be doing cartwheels because you said all these things that you like. They just have to get a win to sort of stay afloat and wait for these things to sort of develop around them, because you feel like it's there, but you can't.
Speaker 4: What you're sake losing.
Speaker 5: It's one game, but you can't keep losing and keep saying it's there.
Speaker 4: But what you're saying is the old age, old truism in the NFL, And it's never as bad as you think it is. It feels bad because the fumble and the explosive play and that first down series that didn't go anywhere, but when you go back and look at it, you win on Sunday against Cleveland. You're feeling pretty good some of the things that you've seen in the first two weeks. Yeah, and being one and one, because remember in September with the schedule with three or four on the road, you come out two and two, You're in a good spot.
Speaker 3: We should say.
Speaker 1: On the back end of that drive with the touchdown with Brian Thomas Junior, do you want to say that throw from Trevor was excellent Brian Thomas Junior to have the body awareness to go up and get first of all, when Trevor lagoes the football, he wasn't even in the end zone yet it's all the way in the back of the end zone, gets it and the toe tap it in. I'm just excited to see their growth together going forward because they're already in sync, which we've seen sometimes takes Trevor a longer time to get on sync with newer receivers, and he's already there seemingly with Brian Thomas Junior. Also, want to give a shout out to another rookie, Kim Little coming on for how about your first kick fifty three yards?
Speaker 3: Not bad?
Speaker 4: You know that was the longest kick in Jaguar's history, right the fifty three yard field goal until year twenty until twenty ten, so like fifteen maybe, until Josh Goby kicked the fifty nine yarder, fifty three was the standard. And he steps up and meets the standard with his first NFL kick.
Speaker 3: And the leg on it could have been been further.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I was watching that and I'm not going to say I was scared for the kid, but you're thinking, Okay, he's had this great preseason. In training camp, the sort of lingering question was, well can he do it in the games? And you pull for the kid because you know he's a Jaguar players, he's like a likable kid, and you're just like, okay, can he do it now? And then when he did it, you're like, well, of course he didn't. He's been doing it the whole time. He doesn't seem to get affected by stuff, and he now he looks like a really good long term solution at that spot.
Speaker 4: And by the way, what they get the ball with one four to begin that drive and it's an answer to the Dolphins and it pushed the lead. You want to be excited about something that was a really important, effective drive for the offense, don't forget that they ended the first half with that statement field goal and that drive and that wasn't something that they did last year.
Speaker 1: And think about where they were able to do because they would go for it on four thousand times and then trust kicks that one.
Speaker 5: Right, sort of playing to your point, really impressive. What ninety six yard drive in the first half of ninety four and then they get the stop or yeah, they got the stop. The Dolphins got to the twenty six Trayvon got the sack in the second half, they get the stop and then they go down and go ninety six yards in about three seconds for the fumble.
Speaker 3: They did some really.
Speaker 5: Impressive things, and yet this league is so difficult because you do impressive things and of things and then one play changes it. And to me, unfortunately for Travis, yesterday really was just about one play.
Speaker 4: To me, well, listen, if you go and look at the numbers a red zone trip with a turnover and no points, I mean you lose ninety six percent of the time when you have one of those in the National Football League.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at the play fumble by Etn basically as he's going into the end zone and then that other touchdown going the other way, John, can you remember us swing that quick?
Speaker 3: It was just it was seconds.
Speaker 5: It felt like I can't because mainly because of what of what I just said a second ago, it might take me a second to get to this point. They had done so much, so well. The big stop at the big moment with a Trayvon sack was a big play because the Dolphins had been at the twenty six. I mean they were getting points. All of a sudden, you sat Mimi's momentum, you don't get points, and then they have a great punt, and then you have a great drive, like a big time drive, and you feel like for ten minutes, you feel like they are taking control of this game. They're gonna hang in an impressive tone setting victory. He's going in with a great blocked run, a good run, and then in a second and a half of the guy Kay was sitting next to him, and I know she heard me, Guy, I said, are you kidding me? Not at Travis, fumbling like at Travis, but just O goodness and then this and you're like, h of course, in thirty years, I'm sure I've seen something.
Speaker 3: Like it, but it was striking.
Speaker 5: What momentum change it was.
Speaker 4: And we had Fred on radio and he talked about this look, when you're in the tight red zone like they were, you got to know that someone's coming for the ball. You have not outrun anyone someone is near you because everyone is compacted and you've got to cover that up. It was a bad It was a bad decision on Travis to not put both hands on the ball and be willing to accept not getting into the end zone because you understood the football situation that you were in. Somebody was coming for it. And by the way, Javon Holland happens to be one of the better safeties in the AFC. That was a great play that he made, but you could have prevented it by understanding someone's coming for me. I can see the end zone. Cover it up. And that's what the coaches are going to be talking about.
Speaker 1: And it's the little things, because that's what's been coming back to bite them, right. It's simple things like that, Yes, I understand you're seeing green grass. You're like, oh, I'm going in for the score. But you have to like in a situation awareness, knowing where you are on the phae all those things where you are in downs. It's easier said than done, but it has to be hammered into them.
Speaker 5: I'll say this for Travis. He did great work last year fixing the quote. Fumbling two, I expect because I think he's a tough kid. I expect him to bounce back from this. I don't expect this to be a trend. Backs fumble. Sometimes they fumble it in opportunity times. I don't think any great back has ever gone his career without fumbling. It was a great place, So I think this is a one off because he had it fixed last year and did a great job fixing it. So sometimes circumstances conspire to really hurt a kid, and I think that's what happened to Travis.
Speaker 4: And the defense had a chance to make a play right Cisco was out a position against Tyrick Hill, so I mean, it's just not to put it all on Cisco, but you have a chance you could have stopped him. And still with four twenty two left to play, you had the ball first, intending your own thirty. So the offense had another chance to get it done and they didn't. Ye was a terrible play. Credit to Travis for standing in the locker room after the game. There are plenty of players that should but don't, and he should and he did so credit to him for standing there. And I like that Trevor, which, of course, Trevor's gonna handle this right way. He didn't put it all on anybody at all. I mean, he said we could have done more.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: I like that part of it.
Speaker 5: The reality very much is there was an inevitable feel after that funnel. Oh yeah, maybe I'm just a cynical old hack, but that's what you felt like. But the Dolphins were on their own twenty. There's no rule that says they have to score in nine seconds.
Speaker 3: No, certainly not nine seconds.
Speaker 4: It's preposterous.
Speaker 3: We touched on.
Speaker 1: They did have the ball back several times after that that they sell the lead at this point. Kirk's third down drop. There were two balls that Kirk probably normally we see him catch, and I don't know if that's just because he missed a little bit of time at the end of the season, if some you know, he was hurt and didn't play the back half of last season, if it's just rust or what it was, but those are balls he catches.
Speaker 4: Nor I will say this in his behalf on the one that he dropped. Couldn't pull in this one right here, If if you go back and look, Trevor throws off of his back foot trying to step and avoid being hit. Watch here, you see that's not him planting. That's getting rid of the ball a little bit quickly. I'm not sure that's as much a drop as it is. The throw was off and he couldn't adjust to it no matter what is he five to ten?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the other one was at He would probably tell you, because Christian's the stand up guy, he would probably tell you he probably left his feet a bit early. But I think he left his feet a bit early because the throw came out quicker than you expect it was. You know, it would have been a great play. It's the kind of play Christian expects himself to make. The one in the first half to me was it was a bigger because it was a drop and you know, again you go back to moments of situations. One play can make what is a one play feel like a trend, if that makes sense. Yeah, so when they had those drops on third down, it gets it keeps you from getting third down, so you feel like, oh, they played awful, Trader only pay awful on the Christian Kirk drop. They should have been on the field more and gotten probably gotten points. But it is such a situational league that when you lose one play like that, that one fumble, it's not like college where the defense is automatically gonna get a stop. You're gonna get a short field and go score. Missing that situation means everything in this league.
Speaker 1: Let's look at the Jags final drive, that three and out that then led to the field goal, because you're still up at this point. If you can i mean sorry, it's tied at this point, but if you can go get yourself in a field goal range, put the pressure back on Miami. But at no point had they gotten anything going to that point, and it was just like you were saying, John, it felt like inevitable at that point that it was just gonna basically be given to Miami. But it was just so frustrating because also I felt like they got away from Tank a little bit. I'd have to look at the specific numbers, but I know when they did go back to Tank, then it was kind of like, and I guess that's what you get with running backs because they're kind of in the zone that you take them out, you put them back in.
Speaker 3: They don't have the momentum anymore.
Speaker 5: But it's gonna be to watch. It's gonna be sort of a balance to watch, because, look, you don't want to have Travis not involved the offense. You don't want to have Tank not involved with the offense. Well, guess what, it's basically a one back offense. So you're gonna you're gonna have to play with that a little bit. And then as soon as one play gets blown up, everybody's gonna be like, well, they should been playing the other guy, of course. So it's gonna be a little bit of what we're talking about. The offensive line, I thought blocked really well in the run game, played very well, and if you take the totality of the game, you feel like, hey, this group made some strides. Anton Harrison me had a tough game. But beyond that, I thought a lot of good things. And yet in the NFL, when you give up two secs on the last drive and then can't get it going in.
Speaker 4: The fourth quarter, that's the only one's gonna remember.
Speaker 5: Yeah, said they're going to remember probably the fourth quarter, Yeah, which they should because that's winning time for man.
Speaker 1: That's it all right, Stay with us here. We're gonna do some hot takes when we come back after the break. And Jags fans, if you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, check out zipchaer dot com to browse all the customizable options. Zif Chair is furniture for fans for jagxam also brought to you by Firehouse Subs. As we get ready to bring you our hot takes from Firehouse Subs today, Brian, I know you alluded to yours a little bit earlier, but what's your bet take for us after week one?
Speaker 3: Who cares?
Speaker 1: Who? Right?
Speaker 5: I mean?
Speaker 4: Play calling was not the issue yesterday, and I get that some people wanted to see more passes, but we just explained that they were up by ten points in the third quarter. They wanted to run the ball short in the game and get off the field because their defense was doing a great job and they wanted to have it rested because they knew it was coming. In the fourth quarter big passes by the Dolphins on their attempt to come back. So I have no issue with their strategy. There not a play calling issue, So let's go right to it. Fourth down and one right on that all important series, although it didn't turn out to be that important because they missed the field goal. That's a bread and butter play. If you go back and watch that play last year, in the year before, that is a Travis etn Staple running over the left tackle and if Oba doesn't blow the play up, which he did, man, there is all kinds of room and they look like heroes there and they've stopped the bleeding of momentum. And that's why Doug went for it there. But that's it. I'll give you the best one. You go to look for highlight, go watch the end of the twenty two game in Houston where Travis went for sixty seven yards for the touchdown. It really blew that game wide open. That was the same play. It's not a play calling issue. It's execution. Whoever Obo was supposed to block didn't. Whoever was supposed to block, Oh, Bud didn't do it.
Speaker 1: I come bag at you with this. Then this is the offensive line they wanted. They said they're healthy. Is this the offensive line that's going to be able to execute?
Speaker 3: The point was in.
Speaker 4: That's not a play calling issue. Then that's personnel is with you, And that wasn't my hot take. My hot take was it's an execution issue, not a play calling issue. Look, I was not impressed with the offensive line in the second half yesterday. They didn't run it as well as they did in the first half, and they give up two sacks on that final drive where they were tied. So I'm not going to defend them at all. But there were so many people that called the radio show yesterday who wanted to go right back to it's Price Taylor's fault. You know they're going forward on fourth down. No, Press Taylor doesn't decide to go for it on fourth down. No, that's a dog doesn't want that. No, No, that's a Doug Peterson call. So they look at their call sheet and say, what's our best play? What can we count on? And they can generally count on that bread and butter play from Travis etn Go watch it. It's an off tackle left run. It's one of their favorites with him. But whoever was supposed to block ninety one missed terribly. That is not Press Taylor's fault or Doug Peterson's fault. Whoever called the place's fault. It's an execution ball.
Speaker 5: It's always coaching in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Oh except as a player's league.
Speaker 5: Right, So I agree that the call was fine. There there's a lot of people saying today, well, why does Doug go for in that situation?
Speaker 4: That's a fair question.
Speaker 3: Doug's always been that guy though.
Speaker 5: That's what he's going to do. I mean, if you don't want that, then then you don't want him because that's who he's going to be and he's not changing anytime soon. Mine was at exactly what the take was. Oh, time to be telling you now, that was time for tough. And what I mean by this is this. They went out in the off season and every free agent they got was a veteran, savvy guy who'd been there before. H Eric Armstead, Darnel Savage. Well, and I'm not criticizing these guys, but every free agent they got gave Davis Minch Morris was a veteran who had been on playoff team. Well week one, Now, guess what you're facing some adversity, that element meaning let's just figure out a way to go win, get this fixed, get it right. Being NFL tough late fourth quarter team that's what they need. Now it's in the next couple of weeks we're going to see if that approach worked.
Speaker 4: The word that I want to use, and I'm kind of a performance nerd. I kind of like to figure out what it is that makes people achieve. Right, I've seen it for thirty years in here, the words resilience. The Jaguars were not a resilient team in the fourth quarter yesterday. They were not a resilient team at the end of last season. Maybe you put your finger in the dyke in the first game and you just kind of slow it. But by the second game, and you better fix it. You better become a resilient team because bad things happen through the course of a sixty minute game. You're going to need that grit, that resilience, and this team hasn't shown enough of it. Resilience is my word this week.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna build off John's I know we talk about it a lot and we make fun of it a lot, because every game is a must win game in the NFL. But it's a must win game and the home opener on Sunday because for me to come out, it's not the loss against Miami I think that I was fifty to fifty on that and when going into things. But you need to be able to be resilient, as you're saying, and you have to be able to build it from game to game. When you feel momentum shift in a game, it's hard immediately to make those changes and get back on track. That's something you build up over time. And having confidence in yourself and having this week to set up get ready to take on a team that also played poorly in Week one, you should have the utmost confidence in the world in front of your hometown when you had troubles at home last year. You need to come in and play strong and get a win. Turn this around for yourself because then you're going out on Monday Night football. That's not an easy matchup. We've talked about the beginning of the season being tough. If you go oh to three oh and four, like there's that's not where.
Speaker 3: We need to be at. I would love to win.
Speaker 4: I would love to channel my inner Ryan Nielsen. When I asked him about Opening Day after practice on Wednesday last week, he said, Brian, he said, there are seventeen of these, this is just one of them. However, having watched the way that they melted after the fumble, and I don't forget by the way that Parker Washington fumbled on the kickoff after Tyreek's touchdown and by the grace of his effort, got back there and got it back. So I'm with you, I don't know that this is a resilient team yet and can overcome losing on Sunday and be ready for Monday Night football.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you guys have hit on it. Sunday will show a lot about the resilience of this team, and I feel like they have a chance to be pretty good. But good teams in the NFL have to win the kind of games they lost yesterday.
Speaker 1: And it's learning that and learning that little things matter even when you think they don't matter.
Speaker 3: And I think that's a learned habit.
Speaker 1: So for me, that's why I'm taking the time from week to week to be like, Okay, I understand things happen in the moment.
Speaker 3: All that went down, big momentum shift. We all felt it.
Speaker 1: Now you need to regroup. Now you need to be resilient, as you're saying, and not let this get away from you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, Like I said, I would have loved to disagree with you, but I couldn't do.
Speaker 3: It's a very excellent point. Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I love a compliment this early on a Monday, Jaguars fans on Tuesday, that's tomorrow, September tenth, from five to six, you can head over to Publics located in Neptune Beach brand it's your neck of the woods. Ross Madison, cam Little Assio, Tomeo Tyler Lacy of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Speaker 3: Is going to be making an appearance there as we get ready for that home opener against the Browns I mentioned.
Speaker 1: That's the Public's located at six thirty Atlantic Boulevard in Neptune Beach Tomorrow from five to six for a meet and greet with all of those guys at Publics where shopping is a pleasure and the home opener is going to be brought to you by EverBank this week. Advantage you make the most of your money at EverBank dot com. Slash Jaguars don't want to be entirely well as me, and we're talking about the home opener with the Browns. Had a pretty rough go in week one two, so hopefully all things even You figure things out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they'll be ready and they will They'll be just as desperate as a jag. So it's a big game for both and her lose is gonna be in a big hole.
Speaker 4: Well, and listen, Anton Harrison really struggled yesterday, And I would have never said that he was going to because I thought he had a terrific camp when he was healthy. He gets Miles Garrett the grim Reaper, right, and when you go back and look, since twenty seventeen, he has eighty eight and a half sacks, second only to TJ. Watt, but more importantly, he has at least fourteen sacks in three consecutive seasons. The guy is an absolute beast. Anton is going to have to step it up this week. He's going to have to rebound, be resilient and find a way to block Miles Garrett.
Speaker 5: I but he does, then he's too good a player, not tie.
Speaker 3: You see him do him last year.
Speaker 1: I mean he was thrown right into the fire there against Chris Jones I think in the first then week two.
Speaker 3: So he's done it. He's gone up against good ones. We know he can do it, So bounce back this week.
Speaker 1: Hopefully we'll see that we'll be back with you later in this week as we really dive into that matchup against the Rounds. Thanks for joining us, see you back here on Wednesday.