Speaker 1: Also media. All right, I'm doing the intro.
Speaker 2: What are crackers and crack ats?
Speaker 1: Is that good? Perfect?
Speaker 2: Can we say that? I think?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Okay, do you have.
Speaker 1: A non binary cracks crack thems? I think.
Speaker 3: I think I'm definitionly not a cracker.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to use the word crack ats. Yeah, I understand it's not appropriate.
Speaker 3: That's reasonable.
Speaker 2: Welcome to ed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should just we should old. Sorry, James, So let's just keep doing it.
Speaker 2: Do the intro.
Speaker 1: This is it could happen.
Speaker 4: Here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what is happening in the White House, the crumbling of our world, and what this means to you. I am James Stout and I'm joined today by Robert Evans and Mia Wong and Sophie.
Speaker 1: Sophie is also here.
Speaker 4: And this episode we are covering the week of December eleventh to December seventeenth, a week before the week that is Christmas.
Speaker 1: That's right, baby. So I hope you've done your shopping. I hope you've got me a gift. Because I pay attention to which of our listeners do and do not buy me presents? Yeah, so do I you will never find me and you shouldn't try.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: And it's currently Honkkah, happy honkah.
Speaker 1: Happy hony, right, yes, oh yeah, happy honekah. All the holidays have a yeah, quasi Kwanza, have a solemn, dignified tet. All the holidays have a good one of them.
Speaker 5: Happy Winter Solstice, which is.
Speaker 1: Happy Solstice more unhappy Solstice. It's kind of a bittersweet holiday. Yeah, super Saturnalia. You know, it's a good one. So holidays are nice, but we're going to talk about some things that are less nice today. The government, Yes, the government, and specific parts of the Let's start with some headlines. Garthamis has obtained information about ICE being able to enter private parts of New York City shelters without a judicial warrant or being able to obtain private information about residents, despite both of these, in theory being prohibited by sanctuary city laws in New York. Right, thiss happened at least five times.
Speaker 4: The way Gothamis found this is by making a public records request for incident reports, which is a clever use of public record law nice one. The city has already aware of both jail and police officers violating these laws, and I think this is a good example of how people think of sanctuary city laws as inassailable, but in fact, sanctuary laws be the city, state, whatever jurisdiction, are very often violated, and it's good to see that being reported on more. Last week, we talked about Faustino Pablo Pablo, right, the guy who had been sent to Guatemala despite the fact that he had protections under the Convention against Torture for being returned there. The government has returned him to the US, which is good.
Speaker 1: That is a rare, good immigration story. It did really bum me out to see that, Like, there were dozens of articles on him being sent there, right, and I couldn't find anything any reporting on him being returned, which is kind of like, we should be happy for these people. We should.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't get many wins and we should take them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we should be happy that this guy is not being likely to be tortured.
Speaker 4: At least it is still possible for them to remove him to a third country, right, that is not outside the realm of possibility. But right now he's not in a place where a gidge A judicated he was likely to be tortured, and that is good.
Speaker 1: Good. And Trump has designated fentanel as a weapon of mass destruction, which is great. What are we doing here?
Speaker 6: Like, I.
Speaker 4: Am trained as a historian, and I probably should remind you that we have been down this road before with the weapons of mass destruction, and I hope this is not leading where it did last time, but I am very worried that it might.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's one of those things. I'm both We'll see, we'll know before this episode ends whether or not I'm wrong. Tucker Carlson stated recently that a source has told him the presidential announcement coming up is Trump declaring war, right that, like, we're doing a war with Venezuela full on, not just some like air strikes and stuff, just not to minimize a legal air strike in the sea or on Venezuela or soil. I don't know if I think that that's the likeliest thing. It just seems like such a huge jump. But also at this point there's a whole armada blocking off Venezuela from the rest of the world. And Trump put out a statement saying that their oil is our oil and belongs rightly to American companies. So very very very possible when we're about to go to war with them. I'm certainly not a I don't know what's gonna happen, y'all. I'm white knuckling it like everybody else. Yeah, that fucking sucks. I didn't know the thing about that oil.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: I'll read the exact quote to you, James. This is from a trump a Truth social post which has twelve point four thousand retruths and forty seven thousand likes. Venezuela is completely surrounded by the largest armada ever assembled in the history of South America. It will only get bigger, and the shock to then will be like nothing they have ever seen before until such time as they returned to the United States of America all of the oil, land, and other assets that they previously stole from US. The illegitimate Maduro regime is using oil from these stolen oil fields to finance themselves, drug terrorism, human trafficking, murder and kidnapping. For the theft of our assets and many other reasons including terrorism, drug smuggling, and human trafficking, the Venezuelan regime has been designated a foreign terrorist organization. Therefore, today I'm ordering a total and complete blockade of all sanctioned oil tankers going into and out of Venezuela. The illegal aliens and criminals that the Madeira regime has sent the United States during the weekend and Biden administration are being returned to Venezuela at a rapid pace. YadA, YadA, YadA. Yeah, all of our oil, land and other assets have to be returned to the United States, which, like he's talking about oil that American companies have had at points like contracts to exploit. Yeah, but he's phrasing it is like their land and oil is our land and oil.
Speaker 4: Which yeah, that's a very colonial way of phrasing like a contract.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: A lot of times, you know, I would be like, Okay, well, I don't know if war is the most reasonable thing to expect. When the president's posting shit like that, it's very reasonable to be like, I think we might go to war. I think he might be about to invade Venezuela. I don't know what's going to happen, but it's you're no longer being like a kooky conspiracy theorist to be like, well, maybe he's about to try to take over Venezuela, and maybe that is what's coming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't understand how in that instance they would continue to get Venezuela to accept people. It's the US is removing the sticking points that I see.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's found a third country, right that they've they've been very fond of finding third countries. I guess I should explain a little bit about oil leaving Venezuela, just so like people are aware of that.
Speaker 4: So like Robert read the truth something someone says in church, doesn't it? Yeah, yeah, here we are. So they're talking about like blockading sanctioned oil tankers. Not necessarily every tanker that enters Venezuela is sanctioned, Like I believe Chevron has some contracts with Chevron.
Speaker 1: Tankers should be cruising.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of chevroll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that shouldn't be an issue, right, they should be able to go back and forth. They're not sanctioned.
Speaker 4: It's the Venezuelan State Oil Company, which in English, I guess you would say pdvsavasavasay. Yeah, yeah, yeah, what Venezuela has done previously, And this is not by any means unique to Venezuela, but this is generally how many of these regimes that are kind kind of in the ambit of Venezuela. I'm talking about Iran and Russia here have avoided sanctions and sanctioned entities so far as by using what are called ghost ships.
Speaker 1: I will link to an explainer on this.
Speaker 4: What they will do is use the names and identify as the vessels that have been scrapped. They will change the flags of vessels, often to these small island nations, for whom allowing ships to use their flag as kind of a source of income. Right, And they will often use these to go out into international waters and then offload cargo, in this case oil.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So it just happens pretty frequently with Venezuelan vessels. That was one it was one such vessel called the Skipper that the US Coast Guard boarded I think last week as we're recording this. Yeah, sure, that is how Venezuela has previously been evading these sanctions, right, And Iran does this too.
Speaker 1: Russia does this too.
Speaker 4: They also do things like spoof their location or turn off their They have like a locate to beacon the ship they're supposed to use a transponder. Yeah, yeah, so this is fairly common practice. But Obviously, the way to stop that is a physical blockade, right, Like, that's not going to be possible if these if the US is effectively like inspecting ships leaving Venezuela, right or sort of keeping a very close eye on them, So that will end, and with that will end a very important source of income for the Maduta regime if they keep doing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, obviously one of the sort of issues we're trying to work out what is going to happen here, especially before whatever speech Trump is about to give, is that we're trying to figure out state policy from Trump posting. Right, Yeah, and there's a lot of this that is enormously incoherent. So Okay, the thing about designating the government of Venezuela as a foreign terrorist organization is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. And this was also unhinged. The closest thing we've ever really gotten to that, I guess was the IERGC. Yeah, and maybe you could go back and say the Khmer Rouge, but like, they weren't really a government by that point, so this is not This is not a designation that has ever been given to a government before. Right, it doesn't make any sense to give it to a government. It doesn't make sense to give to this government. I mean, you know, even if you're working with in the logic of counter terrorism, which is just you know, unhinged, murderous imperialism to begin with. But all of the reporting on this has been assuming that the blockade will be of you know, like of these specifically sanctioned oil tankers. However, come The thing about the Foreign Terrorist Organization designation is that it does things. And one of the things that that Foreign Terrorist Organization designation does is that if you do business with a with a foreign terrorist organization, you are now immediately on the line from material support of terrorism charges like chef run. So, yes, there are lots of countries like Facebook.
Speaker 1: Does this fine with the US military carrying out air strikes on Chevron executives and their property, Let's be clear about that. I would I would salute the red, white, and Blue if we dropped some hell fires on that C suite.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know.
Speaker 3: This is all very weird. My understanding of the FTO designation process is that, well, how it's supposed to work is that the President proposes it and then the Secretary of State and Sectuary of the Treasurer, I think have to improve it, and then there's a seven day period where Congress has it an opportunity to say no, and then it goes up. So right now we should be theoretically in the seven day window, but it's also really unclear what the illustration has actually been doing because again we're being governed by post.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like it's so it's not announced as an executive action on White House dot gov, and I think normally it goes there and then the seven day congressional period commences.
Speaker 1: Then it's not in the federal right to either. Right now, all we have is a truth.
Speaker 3: So like, yeah, and like and this is this is the problem is that this is this is sort of the Calvin Ball War in that they're using they're using the names of actual legal categories and things that have material effects in the world, but they're just posts. And I want to be very clear about this. Even just doing a blockade on these sanctioned vessels is an active war. Yeah, like that that's an that's very deliberately an active war. It is an active imperial aggression. It is morally wrong. It is also unbelievably illegal under the War Powers Act. And this this is this has actually gotten a response from Democrats in Congress. There's been a few measures. CBS is reporting this has been if there's been a few measures to stop the president from starting a war. Here, I'm going to quote CBS. A second measure from Democratic Rep. Jim mcgovernor in Massachusetts would remove the armed forces quote from hostilities with or against Venezuela that have not been authorized by Congress. McGovern's resolution could face the best chance of potential adoption since it has three gop CO sponsors. Rep's Marjory Taylor Green of Georgia, Thomas Massey of Kentucky, and Don Bacon of Nebraska. Bacon says he would also vote and f he or Meeks his measure. Bacon's taking a very weird line here of Keen's congressional approval, and also I support him doing this.
Speaker 1: So purely a procedural objection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a I want my board, but I want Congress to have a little shred of power.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think it's alcial work. Noting what exactly is going on here. I'm someone who's on the record as talking about how political economy in Latin America and American imperialism is usually slightly more complicated than they just want to resource, but they just want a resource here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one, this one really is yeah.
Speaker 3: No, like so it's only like like like Bolivia, for example, every everyone thinks that that that the whole coup Oblivia was about lithium and it yes, I'm very mad about this, it was not. If you look at the people of you look at Camato, if you look at people who were actually running that coup, they were all Bolivian agrobarons. Because a huge part of what was going on there was a rebellion by the sort of agro business like agricultural elite who joined with parts of like a reactionary every middle class.
Speaker 2: Okay, but this is not that.
Speaker 3: Venezuela has the world's largest oil preserves, but there were significant problems extracting the oil right. Many of these problems stem from the two thousand and two to two thousand and three opposition general strike. This is back after Hugo Chaves was elected. So in two thousand and two there was a coup against Chaves that failed and was sort of overturned famously. But later that year there was also a sort of opposition general strike that lasted from late two thousand and two to early two thousand and three, and a huge part of that general strike was oil workers specifically, and it was very specifically. One of the things about the structure of oil production is that there were a bunch of very very highly paid and highly skilled technical workers who are are very very loyal to the oil companies themselves and who are very loyal to who are sort of tend to be very right wing. These people went on strike and sort of got fired on mass. Oil production requires both a huge amount of heavy capital and a bunch of highly skilled workers, and if you don't have both of those things, then you can't do oil extraction. And this has sort of been a recurring problem for the entire time both sort of fugual Srofics and Majuro has been in office, is that they haven't had the capacity to actually extract a bunch of the oil, and also they've refused to turn the oil over to more American companies that have already been contracted.
Speaker 1: And it's also worth noting there's a lot of talk about like Venezuela having the world's largest reserves, and a lot of that is like them jinking the numbers by including a lot of like tire sands, that would be that no one's going to try to get extract fuel from because it's too expensive and too much of a pain in the ass.
Speaker 2: It's just not worth it anyway.
Speaker 4: And also that claims to reserves not actually part of Venezuela at this.
Speaker 1: Time, right right, Like we're not working with exact with accurate information.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's messy. And it's also worth noting that like the oil numbers, I mean, obviously all oil numbers are political, but the oil numbers here are extraordinarily political, because these are numbers that are basically used as a pitch by sort of like the opposition to try to get a US backed too. And it's also sort of word noting that the other thing that's happening here, and the reason this is all going to probably cause really significant economic problems and probably humanitarian disaster, both in Venezuela and probably also in Cuba, which extensively relies on Venezuelan oil to have their economy function, is that the Venezuelan economy has been really structured around oil in a way that they failed to transition out of multiple times. The first big one I've done in a different episode about this in the Neolipical List series a bunch of years ago. But you know, there was a whole bunch of delivery sabotage by American car companies over the attempt to build it car industry. There's a long sort of history of this. But it means that both of these countries' economies are desperately reliant on oil. And the more of this is just that is cut off, the more fucked it's going to get for just everyone in Venezuela.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And you can already see how much worse it's got from the time I went to Venezuela to to now. Like, they're very vulnerable to changes in crude oil prices, right, and that has, along with corruption in a government which doesn't really give a shit about the material welfare of these people, has already made things unsustainably hard for people in Venezuela, and that will only get worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I want to conclude, basically on a couple of things. Wonders that too, this is going to cause more waves of migration and refugees fleeing the country, both from potential realist military strikes and for the economic damage. There's been some moves in the international stage, with China and Mexico expressing support for the Venezuelan government. Shine Bomb in Mexico is offered to facilitate negotiations and media negotiations between the US and Venezuela. It's also kind of word noting that right before this whole thing, there was a giant Vanity Fair interview with Susie Wiles, who's Trump's chief of staff.
Speaker 1: Who oh boy, this.
Speaker 2: Is for Roysberry Dubbs this week Coller here.
Speaker 3: God said Trump quote wants to keep blowing up boats until Maduro Chris's uncle, which is one of the most hideous things I've ever heard. Yeah, it's gangsters, it's literally terrorism.
Speaker 2: It's it's a highway.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, it is in Australia structurally, unless you resign, we are going to keep killing civilians. But it's hatless taker ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. It's also a fundamental misunderstanding of how the regime operates.
Speaker 4: If that is the case. So because they don't care if their people kept dying.
Speaker 1: I have seen Venezuelan people die in the Darian gap, right because in part the government is incapable of providing for their material needs. They don't care like killing some other people with boats is not going to fundamentally change the way that government works, because there's any one way it can work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think there's the one last thing I want to say about this before we head out slash, before whatever giant update comes after the speech.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've got one after you finish here.
Speaker 3: One of the big problems here is if people in the administration really do believe this, they actually do think that you can knock off the governments with air strikes, and no you can't, No, you can't. They thought this about the Huthies too. It's wrong, It's never been right.
Speaker 2: It's hideous.
Speaker 1: We just finished doing like a five parter on bastards about like the nuclear doom state device that also dealt heavily with the work of that Italian Air Force General Duhey, who was the first guy in nineteen twenty one to be like, oh, you need are bombers. Nothing else is necessary in militaries. Now it's nothing but bombers from here. And if you have enough bombers, no one will ever attack you. And this logic has always been wrong. And it's also every new generation of like military leaders, especially in the air power field, are like all we need is air strikes. You don't need to send in ground. You can accomplish all of your goals, all of your power projection, just by bombing people or shooting missiles at them, And they're always wrong.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work. It's just not effective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, I think the Trump administration is somewhat I don't want to say high on its own supply. They had success in Syria with removing the territorial calipate, mostly using US air power. Right, it wasn't a big US that was the US part. There was still a shitload of Kurdish, yes.
Speaker 1: But it's the and yeah, eleven twelve thousand Kurdish people died to remove the Islamic extent. More have died since, right, Yeah, And also a shipload of Iraqi soldiers, a mix of Kurds and largely guys from in and around Baghdad.
Speaker 2: But like, yeah, like a lot.
Speaker 4: Of and a bunch of Arab Syrians. And I don't feel like ethnically geeky this at all Assyrian people.
Speaker 1: No, But like a huge amount of the effort was guys I mean literally I was in bed with some of these guys a lot of Like the fighting tip was like literally dudes with fucking knives and hand grenades, clearing buildings in hand to hand comb Yeah, those are the people who faced danger, right, like, and that's what you need to Unfortunately, you can't do war with computers yet. Yeah, but yeah, I think that that might be where this this belief that and like the Marca Rubio lobby, right, the Florida Cubans who are invested in this kind of Trump corrollary to the Monroe doctrine right in the idea that they can roll back leftist regimes in uh like South and Central America.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I think that's where a lot of the pressure is coming from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of pressure, we are being pressured to go to ads.
Speaker 1: That's right, beautiful, and we're back. There's an update I just came across as we're doing this. We talked about how Tucker as an inside source saying that Trump's basically go out of Claire War. There's another article that just came out on Stitch Snitches by Gloria Shaw, citing a pro Trump host on Real America's Voice who characterized the upcoming Oval Office address as a pr thing meant basically as an acknowledgment that a lot of Trump's voters are frustrated that he keeps talking about like international issues like Venezuela, while everything is more expensive for them and they continue to lose their jobs and the economy is shit. To quote from that article, and this is them quoting a segment from that Real America's Voice podcast. The remarks came during a segment on The water Cooler with co host David Brody, who teas the nine pm Eastern address is an elevated effort to regain the narrative on affordability. The president is going to be in the Oval Office tonight nine pm Eastern, Brody said, big address to the nation. He's elevating this clearly, this is to regain the narrative and explain more about the affordability issue America and what this administration is doing. I think they're trying to seize this right off the top and make sure it doesn't get away from them. And the claims here is basically like this is Trump trying to steal a night march on the twenty twenty six election cycle and reset a lot of what people are talking about around affordability, Like this argument is that now he's basically acknowledging that it's been kind of a mistake to focus so much on his overseas policies, and he really needs to start promising that that golden age is actually going to come for his voters, which the numbers don't bear out right, Like almost no jobs have been added in the US since April. There's about seven hundred thousand more people unemployed now than there were in November of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Like things aren't yeah.
Speaker 1: Good, Inflation is still wild, Inflation is real bad food, and like the material things that we need are going up in price faster than general inflation. Like it's no good, and people like on his own side the thought. Jessica Tarlov, who's a Fox News host of The five Quote, tweeted a post about how like the hiring recession just with the golden age attached, which is like what Trump has been saying. You know, we're going to have a new golden age if you make me president. So like the fact that he hasn't done he hasn't followed through any of his promises to actually improve life for his voters or the economy is starting to hurt. And I guess I'm hopeful that that's what it is, rather than the Marines are about to be in Caracas, right, but I guess we'll see very soon. Yeah, great stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, talking of international stuff Trump is doing. Let's talk about the new travel ban. So this this travel band dropped yesterday was Tuesday. So it previously had this nineteen country travel band. Right, some of that was a complete bar to entry if sits into those countries or to new these entries. Some of it was a partial bar to immigrant visas, not to not to non immigrant visas.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: They have now expanded this to twenty more countries. So totally banned now from getting new visas to enter the USA a citizens of Burkina, Faso, Mahlei, Nicheere, South Sudan, and Syria, as well as a Palestinian authority. The Syria one is particularly wild because I'll share it justice to the White House. There are like individual case by case exceptions.
Speaker 1: Right. It's not that they wouldn't block al Shara, I'm sure, but like.
Speaker 4: It's interesting to look at the justifications that they use here. What they are basically saying, I'll just read a couple of them here to give you an example, right quote. At least one country lacks mechanisms in hospitals to ensure bursts are reported, and widespread corruption, combined with a general lack of vecking and poor record keeping, result in any non citizen being able to obtain any civil document from that country, particularly if that person is willing to pay a fee or engage an individual that specializes in assisting in such fraud. They go on to basically document failures in government bureaucracy that they talk about corruption.
Speaker 1: Right. They talk about places where birthy forgets are just written by hand. They talk about places where the government does not control all.
Speaker 4: The territory prevalence of crime, places which offer citizenship by investment without physical residents. They also talk about some of these countries not being willing to accept their nationals to the US deports and again visa overstair rates, right, which is what they spoke about last time. What is getting less reporting, or at least was this morning when I looked, was that they have removed exemptions which existed for the previous nineteen These include family member visas right, So that means that, for instance, someone who could themselves become a permanent resident or even a citizen, now cannot bring a family member, say a spouse, a sibling, etc. Across, even though those people were people sly vetted. And it appears some there is certain categories of SIVA exempt, but I believe not all SIVs, so that's especially immigrant visa right. The vast bulk of SIVs will be Afghan people who worked with the US military in Afghanistan. The nineteen countries who are now partially restricted are I'm just going to read them of Angola, Antigram, Barbuda, Benin, Kuttivois, Dominica, Gabon, the Gambia, Malawi, Mauritanian, Nigeria, senegauld Tanzania, Tonga, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. For some reason, the first five of these are underlined on the White House website. I don't know if some were copied and pisted them across with hyperlinks like.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm unable to work out why that they're not hyperlinked in the document, but there doesn't seem to be any explanation like this. There's no special set of sanctions for those, and they're just in alphabetical order. They actually reduced restrictions on Turkmenistan because quote suspension of entry into the United States of Nationals of Turkmenistan as non immigrants B one, B two, FM, and JVSS is lifted because some concerns remain. The entry into the United States of nationals to Turkmenistan as immigrants remain suspended. The last element of this that I want to cover is that it would appear to stop international adoptions from the listed countries, like all of those thirty nine listed countries, which is wild and like particularly unfortunate because I know, like people who who adopt children from outside the United States, like that is a process that takes years, and I can imagine it being horrifically traumatic.
Speaker 1: To have it suddenly cut off like this. But consciously, unconsciously, that is what this.
Speaker 4: UH executive action appears to do, So that is not great. It seems that the United States is using this as a kind of cudgel right to encourage those countries to It's kind of a quid pro quote they get what they want they got from Turkmenistan apparently then that they will remove some of those restrictions. Otherwise they will continue them. So, yeah, that's not great. So Judge Hannah Dougan's trial began this week. Do you can if you're not familiar. She's not the judge in New Mexico who was accused of providing firearms to somebody who was not a permanent resident or citizen. She is a judge who is accused of allowing a migrant man named mister Flores Luise to leave her court room from a door that is not the usual door. That door led to a private corridor. In that private corridor, there was one exit to a public area and also a door to a fire escape. Mister Flora's ruiz took the exit to the public area. He then took a lift down I think to the ground floor with an ICE officer. He then attempted to run away when Ice officers attempted to detain him when he left the lift, he was caught and detained. So we learned quite a lot in this and it's just been interesting to follow.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: First of all, we see that several of the people who were taking part in the apprehension were reassigned FBI agents. This is increasingly common, right, like all branches of the federal law enforcement have had some of their capacity redirected to doing this, right, to doing like this. This guy I believe had misdemeanors the agents for using signal to communicate. They had a group chat called frozen water. Obviously Jesus Christ. Yeah, really funny. The FBI agent conceded in crust examination that's not a NAP approved by the FBI, but according to one the DHS apparently does approve it, according to a CBP agent who has crossed damon there, which obviously creates an issue for the retention of records right because signal, if you're not familiar, auto deletes things after a period of time that users can configure. It also appears that when one of these DHS agents and to the courthouse, court security officers told him that he needed an escort, but then he appears.
Speaker 1: To have proceeded without worn. In a text of colleagues, as DHS employees said, quote, this is gonna be a pain in the dick. H So that's that. Yeah, what happens, it seems like is Judge Dougan sent them to the Chief Judge because it didn't have a judicial warrant. It's had an administrative warrant.
Speaker 4: Right, another judge testified against Judge Dugan, a judge called Judge Severa. So Judge Severa was with Judge Dugan when they confronted the agents. Judge Jugan wore her judicial robes when confronting them, which apparently is not usual. It's not usual to wear them out.
Speaker 1: Of the courtroom, and Judge Severa seemed to disapprove of that, and then she said, quote, Judge Dugan could quote have been more diplomatic, and then she said, quote judges shouldn't be helping defendants evade arrest. At the same time, Judge Dugan's defense lawyer asked her if she had warned her sister of the ice presence, which she had, and it appears to her sister had a hearing at the courthouse the next day, which Judge Severa said she was not aware of. So there's like a lot still to be unpacked here, right, this is just the first day. This could go on past Christmas and into the new year, and it probably will. But there's been some pretty good reporting on this from a substack called all Rise Media, and I will keep checking in on this and we'll report it on it again after the New Year.
Speaker 6: Hello, this is Garrison Davis reporting from Tokyo. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the regular Executive Disorder Group recording due to being halfway around the globe, so I'm recording my section solo. This past week saw two devastating mass shootings back to back. On Saturday afternoon, a masks sho entered an economics class at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, and opened fire with a concealed handgun, killing two people injuring nine others, all students. About thirty minutes after the shooting started, the university police announced a suspect was in custody. Twenty minutes later, they retracted that statement. Then university police reported shots fired in another section of campus, which they also later retracted. President Trump posted on truth Social quote, I've been briefed on the shooting that took place at Brown University in Rhode Island. The FBI is on the scene, the suspect is in custody. God bless the victims and the families of the victims. Quote. This too was untrue, as the university released a statement about an hour later clarifying that the shooter was not in custody and that over four hundred officers were on the scene to assist in the investigation. The next morning, Providence Mayor Brett Smiley announced that a new person of interest was detained. The Providence Police chief told NBC that they were confident that the suspect was the shooter. Major news outlets later named this individual, though later that evening this quote unquote person of interest was released, with the Rhode Island Attorney General saying that the evidence quote now points in a different direction quote. The shooter currently remains unidentified and at large. On Sunday night in Sydney, Australia, a father and son, Sajid and Navid Akram, coordinated a targeted attack against Jewish people attending a Hanukkah event on Bondi Beach. Fifteen people were killed in the shooting. Victims include a ten year old girl and a Holocaust survivor. Twenty four victims remain hospitalized. A bystander named Ahmed al Ahmed, a son of Syrian refugees, charged one of the gunman and wrestled his gun away. Ahmed was later shot multiple times, but survived and has been labeled a hero by the Australian Prime Minister. Police say that a vehicle used by the gunman contained homemade Islamic state flags and improvised explosive devices. The men were not part of an official terror cell, though the Prime Minister says that they were motivated by Islamic state extremist ideology. Counter Terrorism officials believed the shooters received quote unquote military style training in the Philippines a month before the attack. On Tuesday, self styled online investigators in right wing social media content Mills falsely identified the Brown University shooter as an LGBTQ Palestinian studying at the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, citing gate analysis based on surveillance footage of the unidentified suspect released by police. The university removed this queer Palestinian student's online profile file in an effort to prevent doxing, though this itself was used by the online smerror campaign as evidence of guilt. Brown University later published this statement quote in the aftermath of the shooting, We've seen a harmful doxing activity directed towards at least one member of the Brown University community. It's important to make clear that targeting individuals could do a revocable harm. Accusations, speculation, and conspiracies were seeing on social media and in some news reports are irresponsible, harmful, and in some cases dangerous for the safety of individuals in our community. It is not unusual as a safety measure to take steps to protect an individual's safety when this kind of activity happens, including in regard to their online presence. As law enforcement officials stated clearly on Tuesday afternoon, if this individual's name had any relevance to the current investigation, they would be actively looking for this individual and providing information publicly. On a final note, after the holiday break, we will be reporting on the indictment against four alleged members of the Turtle Island Liberation Front in California regarding a New Year's Eve bombing plot.
Speaker 1: We're back and we have some news that's going to be really sad for everybody here and it could happen here and just all of you listening, which is friend of the pod. Dan Bongino is stepping down from his work as Deputy director of the FBI. I think it's been a nice vacation for him, but you know, American needs him in his much more important role. Whatever podcast he was doing before he got brought in to the deputy director of the FBI. You know, look, if he was podcasting right now, they would have caught the mass shooter at Brown.
Speaker 2: I think we can all agree.
Speaker 1: On that he to putcosting his way through it. Either that or just him not being at the FBI would have made the do their job.
Speaker 3: Look what we're learning from this is that you can never escape the podcasting minds. No matter where else you try to go, they will drag you back down.
Speaker 1: Oh look, if you make me director of the FBI, I promise to stop podcasting and start being the most corrupt director of the FBI we've ever had.
Speaker 3: That's a tough challenge.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm I think, I'm I'm in a task prepared to work at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: I wanted to talk a little bit about an executive order that our beloved President put out very recently. Some of you may be aware of this, but on December eleventh, twenty I mean this year, twenty twenty five, Trump released yet another executive order, this one titled Ensuring a National Policy Framework for Artificial Intelligence, and basically, in this and Trump stated that like, the reason he's doing this is because it's absolutely critical to the US's future that we be at the top of the game when it comes to AI, that we be global leaders in this burgeoning new field. He states in the EO, these efforts have already delivered tremendous benefits to the American people and led to trillions of dollars of investments across the country. Certainly haven't, but we were made in the earliest days of the technological revolution and in a race with adversaries for supremacy within it. Trump stated in an interview that he expects AI to be fifty to sixty percent of the US economy in the near future, which is nuts.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's just because everything else will just go to complete shit.
Speaker 1: You know. The reality is that like AI is not even close to being that value in terms of like what the economy produces, but nearly all of our growth is related and like it is tied right now to data center investments. So Trump absolutely needs AI because without it the country is very obviously in a recession. Like this is the only thing propping up the image of the as not being in the shitter. Now, what does this EO actually do well. The goal of this the statement is that it is the policy of the United States to sustain and enhance the United States is global AI dominance through a minimally burden some national policy framework for AI. This EO will establish an AI Litigation Task Force. Within thirty days of this order going out, the Attorney General is supposed to establish this task force whose responsibility is to challenge state AI laws that are inconsistent with the policy set forward above. Right that we need to be globally dominant in AI. Right, So this task force is supposed to go out and find state laws that it believes are like an onerous burden on the development of this technology. Going along with this, within ninety days of the order, the Secretary of Commerce is supposed to do an evaluation of all state AI laws in order to point out which ones this task force should go after. And then the stick that this EO establishes is that if this task force decides that like a state AI EYE law is in violation of our need to be dominant in AI, we can restrict state funding to things like the broadband Equity Access and Deployment program. Right. Basically, they'll cut off federal funding for like broadband access, in order to punish states that try to restrict or in any way shape or form, govern what people can use what companies can use AI for. And the primary thing this is all about, I know, we all think about the stuff that like most people have more direct experience with, which is like all the slop flooding the Internet, the disinformation that's continuing to cook the brains of a lot of our peers and elders, and just the fact that like it's making certain industries full of hardworking people a lot harder to exist because companies are just trying to replace quality work with absolute like slop trash. Yeah, but really, what this is about, and the primary focus of most of these state level laws regulating AI is the housing market.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: There's a good article in Politico about this, written by Cassandra Dumay, but she notes that per a National Conference of State Legislatures analysis in July, there were more than forty pending bills across the United States related to just AI in the housing sector, and most of these bills are attempting to stop landlords from using different AI programs to coordinate pricing. Basically, there are a couple of different programs, the most prominent, which is called Real Page, And what they do is landlords join these programs and they share information on like what their different properties cost, and then the AI knows what everybody is charging and can suggest that they charge higher prices right now. The way that this is supposed to work is that you, as a landlord, look out at what's publicly available about the prices of your competitors and look at like what your customers are currently willing to bear, and then try to set your prices and future price increases based on that. What Real Page is doing is a legal collusion, right, This is price fixing. It's just the AI is doing the actual active price fixing. The landlords are just sharing their data and paying a fee to the service. And so a bunch of states have tried to stop this because this objectively makes the housing crisis worse. I know, there's some annoying assholes who come out and be like, you shouldn't talk about anything but in increasing the supply of housing, and like that's that's idiot shit, Yes, we need to increase the supply of housing. This objectively hurts people. These programs subjectively increase the price of print, they do damage. We should be mitigating or making it impossible for businesses like this to exist. Anyone who disagrees is just being a dummy. New York passed law in October that banned the use of AI algorithms to allow landlords to do price fixing. There's a similar bill in the Massachusetts legislation's making its way forward right now. And this is fundamentally what a lot of the opposition to like state level AI regulation is about is that the landlord ward's basically uh, think that this is a great way to make a shitload of money, and tech companies like and we can continue. We got to make a shitload of money selling them the tools to do this, and states are trying to push back on this, and like, that's fundamentally what a lot of the impetus buying this executive order is is an attempt to stop people from making this even more harmful. There is some like in this that political article they quote from Kevin Donnelly, who's the executive director of the Real Estate Technology and Transformation Center, and he talks about like, well, actually, we're currently using AI to identify buildable lots and promote sustainable constructions so that we can actually like reduce some of the cost of housing. And all of these bills, could you know, undermine our ability to impure people's Like yeah, it's just fucking go like literally jump off a bridge, man, Fuck you. Yeah, no, we know that's not how it works. We have data on this, Yo, this isn't theoretical.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anytime a landlord, anytime a landlord says anything or to real estate developer that says anything that suggests the thing they want to do is lower rent they are lying. You can tell because they don't fucking lower rents unless like a global pandemic happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that's a honey of this works. And this has been controversial. Trump, before putting out the EO, tried to encourage the passage of a bill through Congress that would have done the same thing as the EO right, and would have actually had like more force of law behind it, basically making it illegal for states to have their own laws regulating AI. That didn't pass because even Republicans don't really like that idea. For one thing, states' rights is still supposed to be a pretty big.
Speaker 2: Part of the party.
Speaker 1: But for another thing, there's like a lot of things that conservatives are really unhappy with in terms of AI. For example, it keeps exposing children to pornography and other things that kids shouldn't be exposed to. For another thing, there's a lot of American jobs that are going to be lost as a result of or potentially could be lost as a result of the AI slop automation of a bunch of industries. And so there's even a significant amount of resistance among Republicans this, which is why the bill didn't pass, right, and Trump when he announced this EO basically sat down with like a chunk of the conservatives who are more critical of this, and I think basically bullied them into getting on board and saying no, he promised us this won't restrict state levels to like improve safety for children. Right, there's absolutely like no guarantee of that, Like you just have David Sacks, it was Trump's top AI advisor saying no, no, none of this is about trying to stop state laws to make kids savor. It's just trying to stop state laws that will make rent less expensive. Yeah, there's Marjorie Taylor Green's come out against this. She's basically said that you know this is a violation of states, right, it's bullshit. Steve Bannon is in the same place he had a good quote I found in an article by The Hill. After two humiliating face plants on a must pass legis now we attempt an entirely unenforceable EO tech bros doing upmost to turn potus megabase away from him while they line their pockets, which is essentially accurate. Yeah, he's wrong, wrong about that. So all this is like pretty annoying and fucked up. We'll see what actually becomes of this. I tend to agree with Bannon that it's pretty much unenforceable. Like the lawsuit, the court battles that will come from this is just going to be expensive and time consuming. But I actually don't think this is going to work the way they want. This is this is Trump making it very clear that he has bought and paid for by the tech s end that he understands that he is hanging on by a thread in terms of popularity. One of the only things stopping it from getting stopping the situation from getting worse is that AI spending on data centers and ship is propping up the image of the economy, Right, that's what this is all about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this and this is something where he can simultaneously shore shore up is tech based and shore up his landlord base, yeah, which.
Speaker 1: Are like, yeah, it's great, two kinds of guys to like Donald Trump. Yeah, I guess there's an end here where I could. I wanted to make a note about something also related to AI, which is that there's an incredibly stupid article in Vox that came out this week. In that case, like literally the title is like, America, you've made it very clear that you hate AI, But what if it's the only way to restart the idea machine?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this this dipshit Colonnist's argument is that like, well, we're not running out of ideas and AI, like human beings can't come up with ideas enough to create growth at the level that the economy needs to be growing and in order to take humanity into the future, really, AI is the only way to generate more new ideas. And I wanted to look at, like what is this based off of? And I think I figured out what like the fundamental source of all of this shit is, which is back in twenty seventeen, there was a research which paper put out by the National Bureau of Economic Research by Nicholas Bloom, Charles Jones, John Van Reenan, and Michael Webb. The kind of summary of that article reads as follows. In many growth models, economic growth arises from people creating ideas, and then the long run growth rate is the product of two terms, the effective number of researchers and their research productivity. We present a wide range of evidence for various industries, products, and firms showing that research effort is rising substantially while research productivity is declining sharply. Right, So basically, we're we have more people doing research, and we're spending more money on research, but that research is translating into economic gains at a lower level than ever before, right to the point where we're not going to be able to continue to make economic gains like we used to be unless something changes. And if you're kind of paying attention to this, you might notice that that study, which is the underpinning of that Vox article and all of these claims that we need AI for ideas, really is not actually making an argument that people aren't having more ideas. It's making an argument that it is harder to profit from ideas than it used to be right now. That is fundamentally different from people not having ideas for one thing, it's reducing an idea to something that delivers a return for venture capitalists. Yeah right, that's all an idea is in. This is something that makes money, and a lot of great ideas like the post office don't generate a direct profit. And obviously it's a net benefit to the economy that we have a post office, but the post office runs at a loss, right, which is why you have state funding for certain things, because they're just not going to be the kind of ideas that like a bunch of Silicon Valley investors want to throw money into.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: The other part of the issue here is just a very practical one, which is that a lot of the ideas, the great ideas last century that were like most correlated with massive gains and productivity, stuff like the introduction of vaccines on a wide scale, indoor plumbing and electricity on a wide scale phones. There's not ideas like that that are like that big and that much of a game changer left, right, the low hanging fruits, it's the low hanging fruit has been picked. There's not another the telephone waiting out there. We already did that. It was the smartphone. There's not another indoor plumbing, right, There's not something that's going to be as much of a sea change for the economy and for the quality of human life as those ideas, because those were really big things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like like maybe maybe you could put us something like actually cleaning the air that we breathe.
Speaker 1: Yes, like, but again that's not profitable in a direct way, no, right, like you, Yeah, that's an idea that would have a change that big, but there's not a profit incentive for.
Speaker 2: It, right.
Speaker 1: We privatize the air, rob it right, Yeah, breathing fucking air. Yeah, and there's a lot I again, I find this, this whole discussion pattern, Like it's an example of the fact that like, people like this fucking box article who I don't feel like deserves to be named to this, have been using CHATGBT so much that they're no longer thinking. They're not really sentient in a meaning full way, right, Like when you write something like that, it's because your brain has been completely fucking cooked. I did find a good article, ironically, from twenty seventeen from Vox EU that is titled ideas aren't running out that they are getting more expensive to find, which is making a lot of the claims that like I've made, which is that, or that I've been bringing up so far in this which is that it's not that there's a lack of ideas, that it costs more money to do stuff like that now like the costs because everything's so much more complex. Idea the big ideas we're looking at, artist simple is indoor plumbing. They require a lot more computing power, they require a lot more people working on them. Right, Like we've plucked the low hanging fruit, and it ends with a paragraph I find kind of valuable here, returning to the oil metaphor, we are digging deeper into a trickier part of the rock.
Speaker 2: Of course, we could be.
Speaker 1: Wrong, and humanity may have just been shipping away to a particularly hard point that will soon give way, creating decades of cheap ideas. This is the hope of those who emphasize the revolutionary power of artificial intelligence and the singularity and accumulation of technology that triggers runaway growth at some point in the future. Although we all enjoy science fiction, history books are usually a safer guide to the future. In this case, history suggests that large increases in research effort are need to offset its declining productivity. And again, if you want to have the big ideas and the Star Trek future that all of these billionaires like Elon Musk pretend they want, what you actually have to do is be willing to put a lot of money into research and development without any promise of a profit. Your motivation can't be well, now we have to get a two hundred percent rate of return in our investments. Right, it has to be well, this would improve people's lives and make life more sustainable, right, like finding solutions to a lot of problems with climate and cleaning the air, Like dealing with lack of access to clean water, lack of access to basic basic medical care. These are not things where doing them means that your company gets an immediate profit and evaluation in the tens of billions of dollars.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's just not the way providing life saving aid to people works. But the net value to the global economy would be massive if, for example, kids weren't going without food and access to clean water and had better access to education, and thus we're able to go into fields where they become researchers and generate ideas that eventually turn into profit. Right, Like, these AI fucks aren't talking about ideas, They're talking about cracking the human mind, right, That's what they want to do. It's a good way to put it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think that there's another thing we're saying here too. On there's a different, greater argument about this where he makes an argument that I think is also very compelling that part of the decline in the rate of technological change has been the extent to which everyone who was trying to do this stuff is just increasingly dealing with more and more layers of bureaucracy instead of actually doing the thing they're trying to do. And then, you know, this is a huge problem in academia where it's like, okay, so you have you know, you're teaching in academia, but you're also spending like a quarter of your time trying to get another job. You're spending another quarter of your time dealing with all of the unhinged whatever like accounting bullshit that your fucking supervisors have like or like like university management has like put upon you. And this is and this is something that's also true for government researchers, where there's just like this, you know, there's been this incredible increase in sort of the amount of bureaucracy they have to jomp through it like largely because of the right and because of all of the like weird shit they do, where like they hate government fundings. They're like, ah, everyone has to like justify their funding literally every ten seconds. And I think I think, like that's that's one of the other angles of this, and it's something that's only gonna get worse because this administration is just fucking annihilating the entire basis of American science.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's killing it.
Speaker 3: The damage that they've done to the pipeline of people that would produce these researchers right with with ways that a suddenly like American science post docs just there's no money for it. There's no money for grad students. They're killing all of the pathways that would do this, and then they're going, oh, the only solution is the fucking tech boondoggle we've created to the problems that we created. I just annihilating the capacity to do science.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. It sucks.
Speaker 3: I hate them.
Speaker 1: If you want to email us. You can do so.
Speaker 4: It is cool Zone tips at proton dot me. If you want it to be encrypted, you should use a proton mataddress as well.
Speaker 1: They're free. All right, guys, I think that's that's the podcast listeners, haters, lovers.
Speaker 6: It's our lasted of the year.
Speaker 1: It's our last da the year. Well, I don't know, we'll see if those pills come in, but yeah.
Speaker 6: But I hate you.
Speaker 5: Happy holidays, everybody, put a trans girl on your couch.
Speaker 6: Put a trans girl on your couch, love it?
Speaker 1: Or a bed I mean yeah, yeah, mattress one of those like chairs that leans back to where it's like basically flat. Yeah, not a lazy instance, sure, a lot of options in neutral lazy to Yeah.
Speaker 2: An inflatable mattress, why not? Yeah?
Speaker 1: When yeah? To bed a water bedded strong enough because they are heavy. Yeah, generally you're not allowed to have them.
Speaker 5: But yes, anyways, we reported the news.
Speaker 1: Arguably, we reported the news.
Speaker 5: It could happen. Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources where it could happen here listened directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.