Speaker 1: What is up, Dolphins, And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Winfield, and on today's show, and then there were four divisional weekend in the books, thirty rather twenty eight teams eliminated for to go, Let's go ahead and recap those games and take our second dive into the offseason capsules, taking a look at what has become one of my favorite positions to look at this entire offseason, the tight ends from the Baptist Hell Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast Gaffe. Well, what a great weekend of football it was, even if you're rooting against the Buffalo Bills, like every single person listening to this podcast is. We'll get to that crazy three turnover Ravens performance here in just one second. But let's go ahead and kick it off chronologically here Chiefs and Texans. And what did we talk about last week in that Denver Buffalo game? Mistakes early on margins on special teams, the Texans allow a dynamic kickoff return for sixty seven yards, They force a fumble, cannot recover it, and the guy who forces the fumble takes his helmet off and throws it for a fifteen yard penalty, and they talked to him out for the game, and he seems to have no contrition or idea about him doing something wrong. And that's not even talking about him pushing his coach, which I think was done in a moment of celebration and excitement more so than frustration. But I think the coach was getting on him for being an idiot for throwing his helmet. But you're on the road against a fifteen win team, you're a double digit underdog or close to it, and you have a special team's gaff and a fifteen yard foul to put the ball at the plus thirteen yard when start the game. You're never gonna win those games like you are not gonna win games when you're that big of a dog to a team like that. The defense is sick though, right They allowed negative one yard and a field goal after that. And there's you know, the Texans against opposing quarterbacks this year. I mean the four picks on Herbert, the three picks on Tua. They held Josh Allen to nine for thirty, passing five picks on Jared Goff. That's kind of what they do to opposing quarterbacks. And you know, watching this game, I had perhaps a bit of an epiphany that even in those lopsided games, when it's not even a total washout, it comes down to like specific situations.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: There are so many plays in a game, it's gonna come down to the eight short yardage or critical red zone plays. And the Texans got backed up twice and they made stops. You know, getting six points they're compared to fourteen is going to keep you in every single football game that you can do that within. But they were also stopped in the red zone as well, and a great way to get those stops not just short yardage but also third down or rather not short yards jaw, but just third downs with pass rushers that can win against elite pass protection. Anderson with a third down sack and a tackle for loss on that first and goal play on the opening drive of the game. That's two drive altering play. You get off the edge, and what do I do but come back to Jalen Phillips, Bradley Chubb and Chop Robinson.
Speaker 2: I mean it has to be those guys.
Speaker 1: You're kind of locked into them, whether or not you believe in their ability to stay healthy or not, but it has to happen with those guys, and at the very least, at the very least, you have three guys that all can destroy one on one protection, they all can rush from interior positions. We'll see if they can stay healthy. We'll see if Chubb still has the fastball at this stage of his career. We'll see what two years of basically not playing football does for Jalen Phillips.
Speaker 2: And then chop I. You know, you have to have full confidence in him.
Speaker 1: But my point is you're not in a position if you're the Dolphins to make a splash at that spot.
Speaker 2: But luckily this is supposed to.
Speaker 1: Be the year, should be right where you finally have your full complement of rushers. And just look at the two sides, third and shorts to mediumish conversions like this is my biggest takeaway from the entire weekend. These were bang bang throws to Dalton Schultz, to Travis Kell. We'll see to Nico Collins and we'll get to this here later on as well. You gotta have size, man, You got to have size among your eligibles. Guys that can withstand cold weather or contacts from the defense and not drop the football right like it's tough to catch the ball on the cold weather. It's tough to catch the ball on the cold weather when you know you have a two hundred and twenty five pound safety bearing down on you or a two hundred and forty five pound linebacker, you also give yourself more opportunity to fit the ball into tight windows with height, with bigger catch radius, but just the toughness of contested catches, because all these big time plays in these games, for the most part, are like bang bang balls. There defense that arrives for the hit and I just picked your backer. Harken back to all the plays we had that were dropped or that we couldn't find those tight windows. That was a big takeaway from the weekend in general. Back to the game here, the Chiefs had a critical fourth down conversion with Mahomes in the pistol and they went downhill run to Isaiah Pacheco. Just seeing the ability to play downhill power football. I think that's one of Miami's adaptations I have to make this offseason, and you'll be able to tell if they're doing that based upon who they sign. Maybe a guy like Will Hernandez makes some sense if you want to get a little more physical inside the former Giants and Cardinals interior offensive linemen. And then on the Texans side, Stroud was running. Stroud's running was a big difference for them in this game. And that's not because they designed it that way. It's what the Chiefs wanted, right, And that's one area that you know, I don't want to see Tua add this weight back again, because you kind of have to have this stuff to win, Like if they're gonna blitz with man or man match on the back end and you get defenders backs to him. Once he could sense the pressure and get away from him, he could then burden them with his legs and it became a serious issue for the Chiefs defense at specific times in that game.
Speaker 2: I don't think Stroud played poorly.
Speaker 1: I saw, you know, the same people that want to make every game about Tua and the Dolphins and compare it all back like playoff games are unique, They're tough.
Speaker 2: They just are staying on their own merit. Like Stroud played well.
Speaker 1: I don't care if he you know, led them to twelve points, whatever the argument was, Like he played well in this game. I wrote on my know it's Chiefs regression in twenty twenty five. Haha, you fool, It's not gonna happen. But like, they can't keep doing this, right, this has to be the year the voodoo magic runs out. Hopefully it doesn't run out this Sunday because we have They just have to be Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Come on. I don't think they will, but they have to.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm tired of mahome man, the whole stick of like flopping. Dude, grow up, Come on, Peter Pan that knock that stuff off. Lions and commanders. Holy moly, Jayden Daniels, this guy for real, his development from Asu to now, and how the legs pair with the ability to play the position. Like I talk all the time about how Tua's ability to read the defense out and progress through it can force defenders to cover areas of the field that he really has no intention of attacking, and it creates more space for underneath outlets and space underneath. Daniels does that but also has like nearly Lamar Jackson running ability. He's a better player. I mean, that's what are you gonna What else can you say about it? That was my biggest takeaway from the game and the other thing was the fourth down variants and the anatomy of a massive upset that the Commander's of this all year long. But if you're gonna go into a visiting teams or a home team's building, a number one seeds building who won fifteen games, and your nine point dogs, whatever it was, and you're gonna win, you're gonna have to convert on fourth down. This is a team that converted eighty percent of their fourth downs this year, which is what absolutely wild. They went four for five in this game and just found answers. They found ways to get it done. I also wrote down that Jamar Gibbs is what we think de von Achen is in terms of the vision and the creativity as a runner and the ability to hit small creases. That's there's a big difference in those two players right there. Also the commanders in this game and the line you heard Tom Bray talking about how the Lions have to get out of this aggressive man coverage. The commander has just had so many nice answers, whether it was man or zone or blitz. You know, the man beaters, the two man combos to get that horizontal separation. They're muddle huddles and quick break snaps were fun to watch. I kind of came away from that game hoping Mike McDaniel watched that game and said, oh, I can do more than like you know these extravagant twenty word play calls that take me down to the five second mark of the play clock. Like, there was a lot of variants and mixing up things they did offensively for the commanders in this game. I also hope he was watching for either side screen game. They both were fantastic. That McLaurin touchdown. The Lions drive before the Laporte touchdown was all screen game and they executed it beautifully. Also, I love what Jeremy Chin looks like. The commander's safety could be an awesome fit for this Antheony Weaver defense, provided Anthony does not leave he has his second interview in New Orleans. Don't take that job, coach, It's no quarterback. Your cap situation is screwed. You don't have a great draft pick, Like, come on, one more ride, get a better job next year.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: GoF reminds me a lot of Tua in some ways, like he'll play thirteen really good games of the course of a season. But he has four stinkers and maybe three two or three of those stinkers are in a huge spot, and that's gonna kill you, and it's gonna cause a bunch of conversations among fan bases.
Speaker 2: That's who those guys are at this stage of their career.
Speaker 1: It's kind of funny to see the Lions and really all the commentary on GoF over the You're like, oh, he's a rib, he's at quarterback.
Speaker 2: And now those same accounts are saying like, this.
Speaker 1: Is why the Rams got rid of golf, and man, maybe that's true, but I think it's funny the flip flopping we see on that And then Sunday, how about those football games on Sunday?
Speaker 2: My god, man Eagles and Rams.
Speaker 1: The playmakers were popping off in this game, and not even just the big name guys like DeMarcus Robinson taking the football away from people. You talk about the need to play in tight quarters and be tough and physical and take the ball away from the opposing player defense or offense or otherwise, like DeMarcus Robinson, AJ Brown, Dallas Goddard, Puka Nakua, Cooper Cup, all these guys making these big time plays and maybe it's more of a contested catch thing, but everything is just tighter against these good teams man, Like you saw it all throughout the weekend, whether or otherwise, you just see these bang bang plays that we've seen result in drops or dislodges, whatever it is for an incomplete pass. Also look at the safety play throughout the course of the weekend, or rather just DB's that can rotate, play multiple roles and love to come down and hit people. Chauncey Gardner, Johnson, Cam Kitchens, Cameron curl Reblankenship as a monster watching the game on in the night time with the with Kyle Hamilton and our Darius Washington, Like all these guys can play from depth and come hit you in the run game. It's fun to watch, and as that first game went along, it was tough to really garner takeaways when you consider the football or whether the footing and the elements impacting the passing game, the ability to separate or drive off the route was all impacted. And that goes way back to the level of diversity you have to have in your attack. Because the biggest plays we saw in the second half were those contested plays that touch that cup, like fifty yard catch on their go ahead touchdown drive. And also I have a friend back home who suggests that we should be playing all these games indoors, away from the elements. You're crazy. This reminds me of the tweets like you guys just don't like football, do you? This is football, man, adjust, adapt and deal with what comes at you and have different ways to win games. It's not seven on seven. That's not flag football. If they do that, I will that's gonna be the day you hear me start to be like, ah, this isn't the game that I used to that I grew up loving. Now all of this said, the rams as rush just finds wins man, I think we have that in our back pocket. Think the Dolphins can win that way. It doesn't matter who they're going up against. A really good Eagles front. These teams are just so much better all the teams we saw this weekend going at their backup players and playing around the absences they have, like or a guy like Oran Burks who just comes in and plays at a different level. Like, you have to have guys in backup roles. They're not just content to be in those backup roles like saw Duke Riley come off the bench this year and just do nothing right like it was bad oron Burks is like I want to make a name for myself.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go hit some people.
Speaker 1: That was a big takeaway I had in that game as well, and then Bills and Ravens. Everything about Lamar's game is heightened by his ability to run, and you see the way defenders are always thinking about it, Like, but the way the Bills played him. If he's like incredibly comfortable knowing his answers against man or zone, he's gonna bull you off the field. And I wrote this after the second turnover, like he was playing lights out outside of those two atrocious plays, But that turn never really came. I thought it would in this game, but Buffalo was blitzing every other play and had simp pressure on every snap, and Matt Mulona was such a force multiplier for the way they can use him. I just love the way he runs to the football, Like there was that catch down the field by I think it was Bateman when he hurt him. Excuse me where he came back and was spying Lamar and then hit Bateman and just really really good football player who plays with a certain desire, and watching this game reminds me that we just like were really really good last year, but we went eleven and two against everybody else and zero to five against Baltimore, Buffalo and KC. But each of those teams and what you can learn from this requires you to play basically a perfect game, and if you're going to play for a Super Bowl, you probably have to beat at least two of them, right, And never mind playing perfect, Miami just has to find a way to play on par in terms of the mistakes and self inflicted wounds in those games. Baltimore lost that game last night because of mistakes. Can Miami get to a game like this, yes, but can they like not shut down all operation and become a shell of themselves. That's what they have to figure out. Big game good opponent recipe is you have to be discipline, physical, and situationally sound because is going to come down to how many penalties, how you can run off the football and beat teams up, and how you can essentially win those critical third and shorts or fourth downs or red zone moments. And in this one, it was the team that just made the mistakes right, all those Ravens turnovers, even the critical penalty on the kick return on the final drive.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Take a break right there, come back into the tight end capsule here on the Draft Time Podcast. That's next Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 2: We will get back into.
Speaker 1: The rest of the league on Friday and pick the conference championship games and get you all ready for what we can learn from the final four in the National Football League. But for now, back on the topic at hand, as we take a look at the tight end position here for your twenty twenty four Miami Dolphins and what could be ahead for that room, for that group in this offense in twenty twenty five. Let's go ahead and kick it off with a Dolphins internal capsule, and in general, we just witnessed what I would call the best Dolphins tie end room. Since I don't know before my time, I guess the first year that came to mind was two thousand and eight with Fossano and David Martin, but combined they didn't even have John hu Smith numbers together. Now, their run game impact was substantial in that wildcat season. Then You've got Randy McMichael's great seasons, but really his best year was two thousand and four and that didn't really scratch what John new Smith did this year and there was basically no depth behind him. Still, there is so much room despite that big jump for the Dolphins group this year, for growth in twenty twenty five, and I think tight End two was replacement level and tight End three was below that. So I think there's plenty of space to grow here in this tight end room, but it has to get better beyond John new Smith. Julian has to be more consistent, and I think you have to move on from number eighty one, and the person you add needs at minimum to challenge Julian's role as the number two or really what it is is the top why tight end because John U versus Julian and Durham play basically different positions, So I don't think Durham did enough to challenge Julian in that role this year, and I think we can do better than that in twenty twenty five. And oh, by the way, I'm including alec Ingold in this group since he and John Whu were listed at the same position on the depth chart. And really the fullback is more in tune technically speaking with a tight ends than he is with the running backs. Sound good, all right? So players off the top? Number nine, John new Smith, what more can you say? One of the most obvious free agent hits that I can remember for this team, watching his Falcons tape and seeing what he did there, getting to know him around the building, his approach, his leadership, the weight that his voice carries, not just in what he says, but the bass that kind of makes you listen to what he's saying at all times. I think you saw that all come to a head on three catches on a game winning drive that kept our season alive in that thrilling ot winner against the Jets back in December. He's got strong hands. He makes tough catches look routine, something we just don't really have otherwise on the roster, Like most of the guys that make their plays are pretty open when they make those catches and don't do a lot to fend off, you know, contested aspects. I think Waddle does a good job of that, but for the most part, it's kind of Johnny and then everybody else. He has a veteran understanding of space and how to pace his routes accordingly, big, big run after the catch threat as always. I just cannot say enough about John new Smith, and when I think he provides this team, I am stoked to get him back for a second year in this offense and just hit the ground running.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I think you can look at some of our short yardage failures and see nine getting his face crossed by an edge that blows up the play, probably too frequently. I think you can look at a lot of the blocking work and say that's not good enough, but that's never really been his game. He's good enough in that area that allows you to maintain flexibility and diversify your groupings with his baseline level of work in the run game and the screen game as a blocker. So it's like good enough, but we can do better. But we're certainly happy to have him on the field because of the versatility he features as a pass catcher and being just good enough in that area of his game. Now elsewhere number eighty nine Julian Hill on the roster. You have to be an expert at that role because he got five hundred and fifteen snaps this year and just nineteen targets. He's a six offensive lineman, right, that's what he is. That the Rams had this with Ben Skronic for a long time. The Chiefs do some of this with their offense. I know it's a different system, but they do some of that with their offense. The Niners have players in their offense that do similar roles as well, like Jawan Jennings before he kind of had a breakout two years ago, was essentially a plus blocker in their system. I think Julian is one of, if not the most undervalued players on the roster. And please don't misconstrue what I'm saying there. I'm not trying to tell you that he's one of these great players that's a massive needle mover. But we get a lot of casual comments like why is Julian Hill on my team? And usually it's because of like a penalty he commits or a landmark that was not well defined that he didn't get to a block in time. And he gets the brunt of the prustration from fans that, let's be real, don't know the scheme and what's called for and just see the game on the broadcast, and you know, mimic what they hear from a broadcaster like I've made my thoughts about his struggles being tied back to the scheme plenty known, but he also has plenty of misses that he has in his own right. So I just think there's a massive disconnect about what his job is and what this offense calls for. With what his tape shows you and how the fans treat him. There is a lot of good tape and how he scrapes and approaches those blocks on the perimeter. We talk about that rap block all the time and jet motion come across the edge and kick out that force defender. He's as physically imposing as they come. He's durable for us in a role that really asks a lot of him, not just from a physicality standpoint, but a processing standpoint. He's very, very crucial in that regard. There are just so many decisions that he has to make with moving and changing landmarks as a blocker, especially coming around that corner on those rap motions to kick out that force defender. If you pull up our big runs, chances are eighty nine was making a key block at the point. Now, I'm not going to gloss over the shortcomings. We don't do that on the show. I feel like there's a little bit of a frenetic energy with this player that really shows up when he's an intended target in the passing game, like he's not calm and poise. He kind of fights the football that way. He's fumbled the ball twice on twenty eight career targets and even fewer catches obviously, and there are some drops where he doesn't put the football away. You had to fumble down on the goal line this year in the Arizona game. I think you can see that frenetic energy sometimes when he's put in a snap decision post snap as a blocker, like, oh, they snapped it a gap early. Now my landmark and my emotion kind of change who I'm supposed to go pick up off the edge. I hope that can chill out with a third year in the offense, but I think ideally he's your tight end three with potential to become a quality two or a good backup to your why tight end. It's kind of how I viewed Julian, But for a guy that makes minimum, these are the kind of players that you want on the bottom of your roster.
Speaker 2: He has a role he's cheap.
Speaker 1: He helps keep your books clear up top number eighty one, Durham Smyth. This has been one of the stranger players for me to evaluate year over year. I was so done with the production we got in twenty twenty one, thought it was better in a new system in twenty twenty two, best in twenty three, and then in twenty four I thought was just an abject disaster, just like really really bad tape. Week in and week out, we saw his snaplow decrease, and I tend to think there's writing on the wall with how that goes. Like.
Speaker 2: I don't have a lot more to add.
Speaker 1: I just think that you have to get a lot better at that position, and especially for the cost that you're paying for what became a twenty snap per game type of player. Tanner Connor number eighty There's not a lot to get into here. I like his skill set, but he can't stay healthy, right. It's if you can't stay healthy, how can you develop? How can you get the practice reps? How can you get game reps. He's under contract at twenty twenty five, and I guess we'll have a chance to get through camp and stay healthy. But if you can't do it, then there's there's no point investing time into this number thirty alec Ingold, all the things I said about John news Smith in terms of his leadership and the value offered, you know the way that way applies tenfold with alec Ingold, our Walter Payton Mann of the Year nominee, a voice of reason and stability and locker room. And then there's the work on the field, a punishing blocker who assumes countless roles, contributes on special teams, and hell, he missed the Rams and Raiders game before returning for the Patriots game, where he played just a few snaps, so it was like three games where he didn't get a lot of playing time or any playing time. And we had sixty seven, eighty two and sixty five rushing yards in those games when he came back, or rather when we were without him, and that reduced version of him. But the five games prior to him missing one oh six, one ninety three, one eighty eight, one fifty and one forty nine, so he's a pretty big key of your running game. I did think this was his worst year as a Dolphin on tape, and then we pivot to what this room needs. I think a true why will unlock this offense in a way that I don't think any other position can contribute to the offense. And the spoiler, if we got a Rob Gronkowski type or a George Kittle type, not there are skills necessarily that would be awesome, but someone that can do all the true why stuff but also be a stud in the Tyler Warren, then we can really really get going. And I wrote my note spoiler, I think that's Tyler Warren. I do like some other tight ends. We'll get into that here on the next segment. But man, if we can get better off the edge in the wide zone scheme, someone that can fold back inside and down block and be amenable to a man scheme, that alone, that mere presence would be a huge boon. And to reiterate, if that player can be a true receiving threat, then buddy, we are cooking with gas, especially in what I anticipate will be a post Tyreek Hill world. I've made no secret that I think this team's best course of action is to move off that player. And people will think that you need to get an equally talented wide receiver, but I think for a team that runs as much twelve personnel and as few eleven personnel as we do lowis in the entire league. We can get that from the tight end position, and if it's Warren, you just basically become a full time twelve personnel team, which inhibits you to run the football better. I think Waddle is a great twelve personnel receiver the league. Washington becomes kind of a you know, ancillary role, and you can go find a number two like a in the free agent market or even the draft to make him like your fourth or fifth option in the passing game.
Speaker 2: Like you can make it work.
Speaker 1: Think about a team that has like Waddle with Nick Westbrook Akina, and then john Us Smith, Tyler Warren, and then like Diami Brown with Malik Washington and you know, Devon a Chan and Jalen Wright. I love that group of eligibles. But this team desperately, desperately needs better play at the why position more than anything else on the offense and more than anything on the entire team besides safety play. For my money, let's go ahead and get a quick break right there, come back and do a long segment taking a look at the off season that was the internals. We're gonna take a look at free agency and the draft class at the tight end position. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield right to you, Ba, I don't know. We've done the internal review. Now it's time to look outward. And I feel like I laid out pretty clearly. But just for re To's sake, we aren't even in the business of an f for my money in free agency. Maybe a developmental late round pick, but I think that's even more in the territory of UDFA and try to find a Tanner Connor type who can maybe actually stay on the field and see the field.
Speaker 2: So this is purely.
Speaker 1: Going to be wise in the free agent process, which automatically excludes Mike Gasicki. And you guys know how I feel about that player who got his first four yards of yak in his career in that Pittsburgh game Week eighteen, Harris and Bryant, Tyler, Conklin, Kyle Granson, even a possible cut candidate like Evan Ingram or Noah fan who I loved last year for us before Johnny who became available. So prepare yourself because this class is bad, like, for instance, you know. Moley Cox was a guy that I put in my mock off season back in like twenty eighteen or something like that. I watched fifteen snaps of his and I didn't like one of them. Slow, takes forever to break down his route, drops his head into blocks, doesn't drive with a line scrimmage, has no real plan, and password protection hard hard pass. So I got into the tape and you're gonna laugh at the names I'm gonna give you here, but John Bates. First thing you notice from the Washington commanders is the technique does a great job of playing from his base up through the punch, properly spaced base of power where he generates that from that he holsters until it's time to go, really good hand placement as a blocker. He seems to get off the snap late often, which is strange, but I'm not sure you know why that's the case. They use him on a lot of the stuff that we do here on outside zone that escort screen. Now that said, I've seen him miss a handful of blocks in space. He's so much better suited to play inside, which kind of creates a tell when you have him out there, which this offense is allergic to that but not allowed to write home about. Is a pass catcher limited radius nowhere after catch, compounded by no shape at the top of his route.
Speaker 2: Now the most attractive part.
Speaker 1: I think that he really helps your short yardage game when you get down around the goal line. He can straight out bully some safeties and even smaller backers all the way out of the play by himself. And what do I keep saying? We struggle blocking the edge more than anywhere else. A player like this could help you fix that. And it's the type of guy that you're gonna, you know, possibly sign for a tight end three role for like three hundred snaps. Like it's not some crazy investment. I could see the Dolphins getting a player like this and then using the draft to see how it plays out to provide competition for you know, a Julian Hill and have this guy be like, you're tight end three or maybe elevated tight end two because of depth and injury concern So I think that this is like a Durham Smith type replacement up next zach Ertz would be a bigger investment than that. What a marvelous guy is at age thirty three, still doing it and doesn't take more than a few reps on tape to see why.
Speaker 2: He just gets it.
Speaker 1: Angles, leverage, when to shoot, the hands, good base to operate from, very crafty route runner. They run a variety of things in Washington, whether it's flexed out in eleven personnel, which is one back, one tight end, heavy, thirteen personnel, three tight ends. In the field, he's out there, chip releasing, running deep over routes, reaching the nine technique on wide runs, taking the point on Dax greens. He's got exceptional hands. He catches everything, and I think his veteran presence was very, very valuable for a Washington team that was not expected to get as far as they got this year. He's the kind of guy that I would break the mold for here. He's on the wrong side of thirty, but I think he's the right kind of old guy in terms of his approach, his professionalism, and he brings people along with him. That Washington tight end room is very good, and I think his impact was noticeable there, both on the aforementioned baits and the rookie ben Soonat. I bet they bring back Ertz and let Bates walk to elevate Sonata. So we'll see their conclusion here basically asking for a whole new tight end room down the line. But I think he's a good one year guy that gives you a ton of talent, experience, and a dog in the tight end room. He can still play, probably cost you a little bit too much, though. Johnny munt is up next alphabetically difficult to find a better fit in terms of his ability to play with the technique and fundamentals of an outside zone tight end. He understands the importance of attacking the angle, attaching the shoulder, keeping the outside arm free, and running your man off the ball through placement and drive more so than pure strength, which is such a If you come watch a Dolphins practice, watch the O line in individual drills. In the way they run off their blocks, it's not hands striking. It's like, drop your shoulder and run this guy off and keep your hands free for the next block you're gonna get to. He cut off Aiden Hutchinson as a backside edge and put him on the turf for a huge cutback lane in their first game against Detroit back in the regular season. If he gets to his landmarks and if guys are trying to one gap or take themselves out of the play. He understands that leverage to let them and then trap them at that point. I think there's something there. As a route runner, he gets off the football with urgency and can stack a safety. You know, we saw him do it to Dane Belton for the Giants on opening Day and was open for a long touchdown, but Sam Darnold didn't pull the trigger. He's got the contact balance to thwart re routes and contact before the ball arrives. Things again that I think we lack. He started with Sean McVay, then went to Minnesota for Kevin O'Connell. Miami next stop. I think he makes a lot of sense here to sign him and go into the draft with the intentions of taking one, and depending on where you get one, whether it's Warren or Helm, he becomes tight end three, or if it's like Jackson Hawes later on, then he has a shot to be tight end two while said player develops.
Speaker 2: Conclusion here best.
Speaker 1: Scheme fit in the entire free agent class who can come in and contribute from day one with his play style. Contract here probably inflated a bit compared to other potential suitors outside of the system tight end two candidate at outstanding tight End three and has the y makeup to pair with Johny Smith. Last on my list of four players here is Tommy Tremble. There's not a lot of wiggle at the top of the route. The tree is very limited to me to design action like, I don't think he's gonna take a one on one route and be a matchup. He takes poor angles and technique of attack as the attached why in the running game he stops his feet upon contact at the second level and his hands get extended out over his feet, which causes a lot of reps to that look like they're holding.
Speaker 2: But it's not.
Speaker 1: Just depends if they call it, but there is some good footwork and technique on blocks of the point of attack. He was able to reach a wide nine in Nolan Smith on a successful wide zone running in the game against Philly. He's also an interesting option as the flat leak peel type of passing option off play action, which is design scheme type of passing attacks offers some athletic ability with the ball in his hand.
Speaker 2: This is a player that Kyle Krabs likes. I don't see it.
Speaker 1: He's a flawed player who pigeonholes you a little bit when he's on the field. Combos is the second level or a non starter, though we typically have our tight ends either at the point of attack on the forced defender or in space on defensive backs. He's a tight end three option, possibly tight end two in a thin room, and really more of a backup to John New to me than a true why tight end. The way I rank these guys trembles fourth, I got Baits third, Ertz as second, and Johnny Munt my top guy there. So not great, but luckily the draft class is full of guys that I think are outstanding fits here. And let's go ahead and start with the college All Star Games. And again the work is far from done here on this position group. But we go into this Senior Bowl roster with mister Van Wilder, Elijah road Arroyo from Miami like a nine year college player, Gavin Bartholomew from Pittsburgh, Jake britting Stool from Clemson, CJ. Deprie from Alabama, Harold Fanning Junior Bowling Green, Terrence Ferguson at Oregon, Jackson Hawes at Georgia Tech, Gunner Helm from Texas, Maliky Motava from UCLA, and Mason Taylor from LSU at the Shrine Bowl, Eli Stowers from Vanderbilt, Rivaldo Fairweather from Auburn that sounds like a key and peel name, Arondez Gadsden the second from Syracuse, Jalen Conyers from Texas Tech, Luke Latchie from Iowa, Carter Runyon from Towson, and Ben Eurosik from Georgia. How I stack them today? I have six players that I have gone through and this is basically the top part of the draft class.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do hopefully into April and maybe even March.
Speaker 1: We'll get into some Day three prospects and guys to keep an eye on with what I expect to be a bustling Day three slew of draft picks for your Miami Dolphins, especially as we go along here and maybe get some more draft picks for players that we move off of what we shall see. How I stack them today? You know this by now. Number one's Tyler Warren from Penn State. To go brock Bauers Tyler Warren and back to back years is kind of silly. This is more of a T. J. Hawkinson style of player. But I like them both the same. Everything you lacked is an offense. Everything I think we want to change and become. I think you can do it through Tyler Warren. You know the concept of no tight ends in the first round. To me, that illustrates a lack of understanding of what this offense does and wants to be. And you can tell me, well, I don't want the offense to be that anymore, but it's what this It's the most prominent system in the National Football League. And he would button up a lot of the issues that I think are blamed on other players because of preconceived notions and confirming priors. If you struggle with crackbacks on the outside in your run game, boom, fix it with flex seal. Boom, Billy Mays. Here, Tyler Warren is flex seal. You need him to drive down on a Sam Becker for counter on inside zone. Boom, flex seal. You can put your boat in the ocean. Now, whatever the hell he does. You need a short yard conversion, throw it to him and let him go get that forward lean. We all saw that play in the Orange Bowl where he trucked over Exavier Watts, who Kyle Krabs has as the tenth player in his draft board this year. He brings an element of physicalities to his game. He gives you size in the red zone and on the perimeter against those cover two honey hole shots. I think the knock you'll see on him relates to his movement skills. But damn it, man, he is such a polished route runner. He hit this crossing route against Notre Dame where he stacked his way up the stem. A little bit of lean into the defender then looks like a push off, but it's not, and it generates like three yards of separation. Then he runs the pass down. He catches everything. I think he can be back your up back in twenty one personnel like your full back, which could save you a roster spot. You know you're attached why in balanced and unbalanced twelve personnel formations With he and John new Smith, he can flex out in eleven personnel. The only thing that he's not going to do is a vertical against a cornerback. He's on a blazer in that way. But that's the trade off you accept when you get a player who is dominant at the point of attack off the edge, which again, is the biggest need this offense has. I project him as a top fifteen pick this year. Number two is Gunner Helm from Texas. I think he's the next first rounder in line at this position. As far as what Miami looks for at tight end, six foot five, two hundred and fifty pounds, seam busting speed, physicality at the point of attack, some room to grow with his blocking technique and fundamentals.
Speaker 2: It's all there. Man.
Speaker 1: They would use him as a six man in protection and not just have him chip and release, but give him an actual matchup against an edge rusher, and he would erase that. He's also a blitz eraser, not just in that way, but he can also sneak into the vacancy and become a problem with the football in his hands.
Speaker 2: After the catch.
Speaker 1: They run him across the field on leak, they dump it to him, on glances off rpo looks, they run wide zone to his side, they screen it to him. He's so impressive, man, talk about a contested catch guy too. You can go to him with tight k He's going to survive hits in contact. But I just keep coming back to the fact that I think he's ready to contribute today as an inline blocker in addition to all the passing game prowess he provides.
Speaker 2: And I've made no bones, but.
Speaker 1: The fact that I think that that with the receiving skill set he offers, gosh, it makes you a flexible offense with what you can do and what you can get to. And again, I don't even think he's a finished product by any stretch here.
Speaker 2: I think if you took this guy, it would beam.
Speaker 1: You would beam at his upside to just work on things you can prove with with time on task like ham placement and pad level shoot. They kept him in for a primary blocker until this year. Then he goes off for sixty seven, eighty six, and seven like former basketball player, great arm, length to high point, the football, strong at the catchpoint, huge, huge fan of his game. I project him as a first round pick. Number three is Colston Lovelin from Michigan. I saw a great tweet by Daniel Jeremiah who urged draft fans to focus more on the evaluation than the ranking. Since draft experts don't have an actual team they're picking for, they're just grating guys arbitrarily. And it made me think of Colston Lovelin, who I think could be tight end one for a lot of teams on their board because he is the best f in the entire class. But that is the position that John news Smith plays. He is electric off the line of scrimmage. He gets into the secondary and forces the middle of the field coverage to declare itself quickly because they have to run with him or match or declare their leverage. I think we're going to see players like this, and Warren and Helm for that matter, have more and more of an impact with the current model of NFL defenses. For all that space inside and how they can create all the inverted two, all the Tampa two that teams are running, it can take teams out of those looks, which is what kind of kills our offense.
Speaker 2: Quite frankly.
Speaker 1: His ability to get on defenders quickly and then have a real burst at the top of the route and the body control that equates this massive catch radius all lead me to thinking he's going to become this best friend of whichever quarterback he plays for the next level. He's going to test better than all the other tight ends and his production twenty two way through the first round quarterback was a glimpse of what he can be as a feature element of the passing offense. Fourteen and a half yards per catch that year down to ten and a half this year, and there are misthrows all over that tape. He lined up in line consistently and was asked to do a lot of the nitty griddy work at that position is called upon to do. But I don't think that's his calling card at the next level. I think pad level, hand placement, leg drive, that will all be stuff he has to polish up at the pro level. But there's no reason he can't be an Evan Ingram type of player. Projected range top fifty pick for me, he probably goes in the first round. Quite frankly, I know I've got a lot of first rounds here already, but I think that someone's gonna have miss tightened one on their big board. Number four is the name that you know, Mason Taylor. This class was loaded, dude. The bloodlines have to get you excited about this player. And the thing I liked about a prospect whose whole life has been one of preparation for the league is they typically have little nuance to their game that you don't get from other players, the way Taylor can attack blind spots, the way he sets up his routes with different releases, but also the physicality to take the real estate that he feels he's entitled to. You want to get past a team that thinks they can throw your timing off with press and reroutes. Insert a player like this who will beat you up at every level of the route and maybe get him out of that coverage. He's been a go to target in big spots in big games. That game winner against Bama two years ago, trusted hands presence in the red zone short yardage. He presents a matchup problem for most guys that he sees because there's also the wiggle of a Hall of Fame pass rusher and the blood lines there too. He's fluid, strong, detailed. He catches everything he runs over dbs after the catch. He played almost a fifty to fifty split of attached versus slot alignments. There are just two reasons I think he's not quite in the first round. More polish as a drive blocker and more complex run scheme like we run, and the fact that this class is just loaded.
Speaker 2: Other years.
Speaker 1: He's probably a top thirty pick. I project him in the second round. Number five is Jackson Hawes from Georgia Tech. This is the best true whine in the entire class. You can see the fit in a Shanahan style offense, the control he plays with as he sifts his way through traffic on counter tray on GT lead onto his assignment, the way he does all that stuff and split flow rat blocks. It's special combination blocks reaching the wide nine and outside zone heading up the point in the screen game, all those rap blocks we run off the edge. He has a wealth of experience doing all of that. They'll jet motion him from the slot and pull another player backside and leave them both with fluctuating landmarks post snap and assignments, and he just plays so composed he finds his target, squares him up, and drives him the hell out of the play. You can set your watch to it. There is legit teach tape of all those types of blocks I mentioned, which are Brett and butter on our offense. My favorite being his kickout lead on a strong side toss against Miami where he gets the outflanked force defender reaches him and drives him out of bounce and the beck cuts off of that block for a touchdown, where he falls behind my top fours in the passing game, a little bit tight, doesn't move very well well, not a lot of pass game production there. He's not going to destroy tacklers with the ball in his hands. That's why I think he's a top the day three pick. And I say that remembering that this is an offense that had Julian Hill on the field for five hundred and fourteen snaps, fourth most amongst our eligibles, and we only threw him nineteen targets. You do not have to touch the football to be a problem in this offense. He's an early day pick three for me. Number six is a Rondez Gatz in the second from Syracuse speaking of NFL blood lines, and if you remember that famous catch that Pops had against the Jets, go watch his boy make a catch against BC this year. Unreal highlight reel of one handed snags, concentration, body control, all the things that Pops did well. Now, he was a receiver slash converted tight end at Syracuse, but I think that I haven't seen a single draftnick that thinks he'll play receiver. He's just not cut for that position. I include myself in that he can condense inside as a big slot and f type that can create mismatches and possibly be assolved some of the stuff we talked about with Mason Taylor. Now they did kick him, they did not kick him inside in the running game almost at all. So that's a total projection for him at the next level, which takes a lot of time to get I think, especially in this offense, and why I would say there's a bit of a drop off for him after my top five players at the position. Outstanding fifty to fifty ball catcher and high point skills and strong hands. He's not explosive off the line or with the ball in his hands. I think he's probably a twenty twenty six player if you draft him twenty twenty five projected Day three pick. All right, there you go. Tight end capsule done. I want to do running backs by Wednesday, but we're going to keep this fluid and just get to it as the work gets done. In the meantime, you all please be sure subscribe, rate, review the show, leave us that rating and review.
Speaker 2: Why do I keep the look down on?
Speaker 1: Follow me on social at Winkfield, NFL. The team at Miami Dolphins. Check out Seth and Juice on the Fish Tank podcast. The Shawn Wooden episode was great. Check out the YouTube channel for Dolphins, HQ, media availabilities and so much more, and last, butt not least, Miami Dolphins dot com.
Speaker 2: Until next time, fins up Caroline and Cameron.
Speaker 1: Daddy, He's coming, hope,