Speaker 1: Warning, This podcast contains spoilers for the first three episodes of the Disney Plus series Willow, plus the original nineteen eighty eight film of the same name. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and welcome to x Revision The Crooked podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. In this episode, in the previously on, we will be discussing the trailer for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Folks, I'm sure Rosie and I will have a lot of thoughts about this trailer. Then we will be discussing the latest trailer for the HBO Max series The Last of Us, And in the airlock we'll be discussing the Disney Plus series Willow, which of course is a sequel to the nineteen eighty eight George Lucas production of Willow, a movie that holds a special place in the heart of my co host. She's the number one comics historian, the number one Willow lover, the number one Eternal's lover. That's right, folks, It's the great, the powerful Rosie Marks.
Speaker 2: Rosie. Hey, I feel so happy to be somebody who just loves so many things that's true. I am the number. I love Willow so much. I'm really excited to talk about that show. We're actually talking about lots of things that I love this week, as we do every week. I guess how you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm doing well. I gotta say I'm enjoying the Willow Show. I think the tone is really unique.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like anything else. It's very unexpected at like dropping in December as well. Yeah, you're just like, oh, this is like okay, this show exists and it's totally different from anything else that's going on.
Speaker 1: Well, the sense you get quite strongly is that Disney is like, we have very low expectations for what anybody's reaction to this, So, you know, gravy as far as they're concerned. I'm sure. I did have one thing I wanted to raise because it was a I had a conversation recently with some friends that were that were in London, and uh, we were talking about slang English slang, and I had to. I had to because I am I have eternally been mystified by Geezer, which I think if you heard in American English, you'd hear geezer. That Geezer and you'd think that old man.
Speaker 2: That's definitely how it is in American note in England, the geezers like a guy and he's in the pub and he's watching the football and he's drinking a pint of beer and he's just like a geezer. He's like out on the town causing some problems, Like he's a gezer. But it is also just a gender term for somebody who's a guy. It's kind of that weird space like that it has connotations around like football and like lad culture and drinking, but it is you can also just be like a gezer.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's like any like adult slash middle aged guy who acts like a lad.
Speaker 2: I would say, no, no, no. So it's like it's one of those really weird things that I find, Like you find this a lot in English language in general, but also like this is one of my favorite topics. I will literally explain any English, especially London specifics like no, the thing that's really interesting is like somebody can be having a conversation and use the term gezer like you would use mate. Like you can be like at the pub and be like you're right gezer, Like it's just like a way that you're just speaking to someone, but it also means like if you think about the word gezer, it definitely I feel like one of the reasons it's probably came up is to do with like the World Cup. I feel like it's like a football culture word as well. So the idea of a geezer as somebody who like goes to the pub, drinks a pine, like might be getting a bit rowdy, like acting up, but it's definitely not I would say, like adult can be from you can be a gezer and be like eighteen to like seventy, you know, like, oh, however old, like I.
Speaker 1: Don't think it's a term of age specific, it's a term of endearment also, right, Like it's not a negative and you can describe to me as not a negative.
Speaker 2: County if you're using it, I would say it's one of those interesting things where in the communities where you would use it, it's not negative. But outside of it, like if you were posh, you could look down on like a geezer, like somebody acting like a gezer or whatever. But like in the community, if you're in the pub, that's not that's not negative.
Speaker 1: That's just about geeze like if I'm friends with someone and I refer to them as my gee as.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've called yeah, I know you could. I would say the easiest universe us or word to in that sense would be like mate. So if you're like, oh mate or a geez that's normal. Anyone can do that. You can do it almost like and in that way, it's kind of one of those interesting ones like guy, we're in the UK. That can also almost when you use it in that phrase, become genderless. You're just like a geez a mate. So yeah, that's a that's a good one. Oh Jason, bring more of these to me. I love to explain slash. I miss it.
Speaker 1: So it's it's like bloke.
Speaker 2: Then bloke is a more interesting thing because I don't you wouldn't be like a my bloke, you know. Bloke is more like that is a bloke that is like a descriptive word about a man somebody can behave in a blow key way though, so which is like again is that kind of matcho specific vibe? But also bloke is just literally a synonym for man. So England's annoying like that, like not just in slang, but also in all English language words. Every word has like five meanings.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for that catch up Rosie special. Thanks to everyone who came out to our La Comic Con panel. That was so great to meet you. It was so great to talk to you. It was so much fun to be there. That is just an environment where Rosie and I feel very, very nash at home. You'll be able to hear that episode in a couple of weeks where we'll cover the Guardians of the Galaxy holiday special plus the recent Guardians of the Galaxy Volume three trailer, plus have a discussion with some good friends about the state of the MCU up next. Previously on First and previously on Folks. He's back. I know Harrison Ford is eighty's the days as like seven planes over the last ten years. But if you've been wondering where is Harrison Ford on my big screen ever since his run in the final Star Wars trilogy, I need more Harrison Ford. When will he come back? When will he bring Indiana Jones back to the screen. The answer is June thirtieth, twenty twenty three, with the fifth installment of the Indiana Jones franchise. Indiana Jones in the Dial of Destiny, directed by James man Goold, you might remember from Logan and the equally excellent Three Tender Yuma. This movie is star sing Harrison Ford, of course, Phoebe waller Bridge and Tonio banderis uh and my immediate takeaway from this trailers when it looks fun yes and two they just took Harrison Ford's head and digitally put it on like some guy's body. Yeah, for many of the many of not all of the scenes.
Speaker 2: So my understanding is that what they The thing that excited me the most about this trailer was I didn't know John rees Davis was going to be in it, love it, but they had John rees Davis's voice, and he's one of my favorite Indiana Jones like ensemble characters, so I was I was good. I was happy about that. But my understanding is there is a large part of the movie, the opening. Don't quote me on that, but that I believe what I've read that is set earlier on where they decided to digitally d Harrison Ford, which, by the way, I just don't understand because casting a younger Indiana Jones led us to one of the best ever Indiana Jones casting of all Fimes River Phoenix as Indiana Jones. This is wonderful in the opening sequence is so good, and to me, I think this is a missed opportunity to just have like some cool younger guy playing Indiana Jones. Don't know why they love to d age people, but I believe that the opening sequence will be younger Indiana Jones, like ten years before the movie's meant to be set, and then we'll be in to old Indiana Jones. So basically it's Irish man Indiana Jones.
Speaker 1: Here is the synopsis. In nineteen sixty nine American Archaeologists and adventure Indiana Jones lives against the backdrop of the Space Race. Jones is uneasy over the fact that the US government has recruited former Nazi Is to help beat the Soviet Union in the competition to make It to Space aka the Real Life Project.
Speaker 2: Say, that's actually incredibly true to one of the American history that everybody.
Speaker 1: States, absolutely did.
Speaker 2: Jones standing up against that rible choice.
Speaker 1: Vernon Brahm, the architect of the American rocketry program, was famously one of the pioneers of the V two rocket system that the Nazis used to bombard London and other targets in the British Isles during during that conflict known as World War Two. Uh So that is the premise Indiana Jones in the in the Swing and sixties. I can't wait. I will say again, it's the only thing that is that throws me. And it's specifically the horse scene. I was talking about this Chris. It's just like they just took his head and they put it on a different Dude's body looks literally it's unsettling.
Speaker 2: It's unsettling, and he is it looks like in that scene, which is some kind of parade scene about the space race, I think he's being chased down by Boyd Holbrook, who's the Australian actor who plays the Reaver, who played the lead reaver in Logan. So there's a nice little little Logan casting easter egg there. But yeah, I'm not a big fan of the d ag will be interesting. I guess Phoebe waller Bridge plays his god daughter, so there's not going to be like a muth esque secret Child.
Speaker 1: Fingers cross redcon the recon shil above.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, you'll have a you know, he'll have a Simpsons esque Oh no, Mark had to go back to his own planet and he's up in the sky, you know. Yeah, Mads Michaelson playing a Nazi. I mean, I always want to see Indiana Jones beating up Nazis. It's what he does best. It's what he's he's the best at, and I think we need as many movies about people beating up Nazis as possible. I love Harrison Fordham, glad he's getting that money. I'm excited to see him being cranky on the inevitable cranky press tour as he deserves to be. Yeah, I mean, what are they dialing? I don't know. That's what I need to know. What's the dial of destiny? Who's getting dialed?
Speaker 1: My Indiana Jones do just as you mentioned, he beats up Nazis. Sometimes he just shoots them straight in Nazis. The The other thing that he is best in the world at is stealing the precious cultural artifacts of some other people. Yeah, and taking it to some random museum in Illinois.
Speaker 2: I mean, or just like a really weird warehouse, like a giant warehouse. So something about Indiana Jones Raiders are the lost art. Arguably, if he had not been in the movie absolutely nothing different would have happened. That's the one time when his intrinsic behavior of stealing things for the government is not great temple of doom. He does, he saves, he saves people. You know what. The movie has a lot of problems, but gave us KiHa Kwan. And also, you know what, at least that time he's stealing for the right people. They probably need him to steal it, but you know what, and then and then.
Speaker 1: The last crusade, I mean it is potentially immortal after jagging from the cup of Christ.
Speaker 2: By the way, let's lean into that here.
Speaker 1: Had a dalliance with a Nazi, so problematic figure, a problematic I'm excited for this movie. I'm a big fan of the Nina Jones. Even though I do think that he is a thief. He is absolutely agreed.
Speaker 2: He is a thief. I long a criminal. I long for the time that we get that. You know, it doesn't have to be Indiana Jones, but a long time people were fan casting Oscar iSER in an Indiana Jones style role where he would essentially steal things back from the museums and give them back to people and repatriot like stolen objects I would love to see a pulpy Indiana Jones esque story like that on the big screen. We don't need to name Indiana Jones, though sometimes that does make it easier to get that stuff made. But I think there's a space for that, because you're right, he's a thief.
Speaker 1: Up next, The Last of Us the latest Last of Us trailer, I would imagine this is probably the last official Last of Us trailer. The show will premiere January fifteenth of twenty twenty three on HBO Max, starring Patro Pascal as Joel, Bella Ramsey as Ellie, Gabrielle Luna as Tommy, and a Torvas tests And of course, this is an adaptation of the you know, the.
Speaker 2: Hit yeah cultural phenomena.
Speaker 1: Game The Last of Us the game of the same name very and this looks great. This looks really good. This, I mean captured the kind of vibe of the video games that kind of like very tense, dark, I hate to say gritty, but also but also a kind of story with a real emotional core of relationship between an older guy Joel and a young woman Ellie who you know, this develops into a father daughter relationship. I'm excited to see this A big fan of the video games, and yeah, it looks excited to watch the show looks great.
Speaker 2: I think that one of the things that they really capture in this trailer is that the hard thing to recreate from the game is this mix of like this really intimate character based story that feels very personal that you're going along as you play the game, and the huge scope of the apocalypse that they're going through. And this trailer really got that for me. There's a couple of character beats. You get Ellie kind of having this inappropriate humor moment that feels really true to the game, and then you get the hints of the clickers and it looks Yeah, it looks great. I also kind of, I guess, because so much happened this year, I missed how many unreal cast members this show has until recently when they started releasing like everyone is just like a killer bit of casting with the unreal amount of star power. So I'm very excited. And it had a very outrageous slowed down version of Take on Me by Aha, which definitely works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're not you know, like a creepy version of a pop song always works. It's never not worked in a trailer also, as we go into this again. This show will premiere mid January twenty twenty three. One of our plans for the future has to do a dive into the story of the video game. Yeah, definitely give us the video game as we're talking about the show, so that should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're really excited to delve into that because it's something that we both really just love and to be able to talk about that and the show is a really exciting possibility.
Speaker 1: Up next, Willa Crooking and Duolingo's newest podcast, Radio Lingo, investigates all the ways that language shapes our world and how the world shapes our language. Each episode explore a different way language plays a role in our life, from swearing to subtitles and everything in between. Listening to the first four episodes right now and subscribe to Radio Lingo wherever you get your podcast. New episodes drop every Tuesday. X ray Vision is brought to you by z Biotics. The holidays are a lot, a lot of food, a lot of drinks, and one too many awkward family moments. Z Biotics gives me one less thing to worry about, how those holiday drinks will affect my mornings. Z Biotics pre alcohol probiotic is the world's first genetically engineered probiotic. It was invented by PhD scientists to tackle rough mornings after drinking. Here is how it works. When you drink alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in your gut. It is this byproduct, not dehydration as is commonly considered that's to blame for your rough next day. Z Biotics produces an enzyme to break this buy product down. It's designed to work like your liver, but in your gut where you need it most. Just remember to drink z biotics before drinking alcohol. Drink responsible, and get a good night's sleep to feel your best tomorrow. Give zbiotics a try for yourself. Go to zbiotics dot com slash x ray to get fifteen percent off your first order when you use code x ray at checkout. Z biotics is backed with one hundred percent money back guarantee, so if you're unsatisfied for any reason, they'll refund your money. No questions. Ask the halizer upon us and z biotics makes a great gift. It's unique, thoughtful, and it's under forty dollars. Folks, no reason to go heavy onto that into your pocketbook for this Okay, it's manageable. We'll all be having more drinks this holiday seasons. Order today to get ze Biotics in time. Remember to head to zbiotics dot com slash x ray and use code x ray checkout for fifteen percent off. Thank you to z Biotics for sponsoring this episode. X ray Vision is brought to you by Doomings Bomb Bomb Bomb.
Speaker 3: The world is ending and if you think this is some sort of game, well good because it is. Doomlings is a delightful card game for the end of the world. Somewhere unadoomed and distant planet life has emerged, competing for dominance until the world's inevitable destruction. Score points by playing traits for your DOOMLNK species, making them more adaptable, resilient, and mischievous. Evolve your doom links throughout the ages and catastrophes, which are special rounds that befall the planet, forcing you to adapt your strategy until the end of the world. Doomlings is a card game for two to six players, ages ten plus. It takes about twenty forty five minutes of play. It is perfect for dinner parties, perfect for family game night, or just when you want to take a break from prepping your underground doomsday bunker. Doomlings sets itself apart from other card games of this kind of type because it's like a hybrid game for tabletop enthusiasts and non gamers alike. It's accessible, there's a lot of depth, a lot of replayability, a lot of variants in the gameplay. This is because it's a randomized setup, and also because there are one hundred and sixty seven unique cards in the box, no duplicates, no fillers. It feels kind of like a training card game, like other training card games that you might be experienced with, but you don't need to go through the kind of arduous process of building a deck.
Speaker 1: It can be played fast. Doomlings was fun on Kickstar in forty nine minutes and catapulted into one of the fastest growing games on the planet today. Doomlings has over twenty five hundred five star reviews, and it's received the Dice Tower Seal of Approval. It's also been played in over eighty countries, plus the greatest country of them all, the United States of America. Get twenty percent off your first order when use code x ray at doomlings dot com. That's d oo m l i nngs dot com and use code x ray. That's do m l i nngs dot com.
Speaker 4: Code x ray.
Speaker 1: We're stepping out of the airlock, folks, and into a fantasy world created by George Lucas. From the mind of George Lucas. We're talking about the show Willow, the adaptation of the nineteen eighty eight film Willow, sequel to that movie on Disney Plus. There are now three episodes out. And this is a movie and a show that I think has a very special place in one Rosy Night's heart and might as well. I love this movie. As a kid, I watched this movie a lot.
Speaker 2: It must have been something to do with its availability on VHS or something, because the movie did not take the box office by storm. It had a good opening weekend.
Speaker 1: But it didn't pretty well.
Speaker 2: It didn't have the it didn't have the Star Wars effect, the Indiana Jones effect, you know, which is why it's taken thirty years to thirty four years to get a sequel, you know. So, But there was something about it when we were kids. It was just so prevalent. They probably overprinted the vhs they needed to make back the money and home video. But for me, this was one of my most watched films. I mean, this was definitely one of my entry points into horror and enjoying horror because it's really scary.
Speaker 1: Seem scary. That creature work is is quite scary.
Speaker 2: They have these these creatures called the death Dogs that kind of they're the they're used by the evil Queen bav Morda to hunt down people that she wants to find, including the baby known as a Laura Dannon, who is the main kind of chosen one protagonist of the film, even though she's a baby. Uh. And the death Dogs were just Rottweilers that they put these prosthetics.
Speaker 1: It's like you watch and you're like, wow, they look really those dogs because a dog dogs.
Speaker 2: And then they just would put this huge kind of almost pig like wolf prostec And the opening of the movie is these dogs and they're hunting down a woman who's got the baby, and it is so scary, and I remember just really loving that mixture of this scary horror fantasy with this incredibly cozy woodland world where.
Speaker 1: Will a very cozy world. Yeah, played by So that movie came out in nineteen eighty eight. Yeah, And I think the interesting thing about it is that sci fi was ruled the roost at that time, obviously Star Wars and the various knockoffs from Star Wars, the Star Trek movie series which had gotten back into business, Alien Aliens, Terminator, Terminator too, and it was a very, very fallow time for fantasy at the box office. Now, this is not to say that there weren't many things that were released that absolutely resonated with folks Dark Crystal.
Speaker 2: And even those they were like Dark Crystal that was not a big blockbuster hit, it became a cult hit. Princess Bride also another movie that became a cult hit. Fantasy was there, but it was not It had not had that huge resurgence in the way that sci fi.
Speaker 1: Had, and so it was really kind of a risk. You know, George Lucas cashed in a lot of his chips in order to get this movie made. This was not a movie that twenty Century Fox where anybody really really wanted to make. He swung a lot of deals around the margins, with licensing, with marketing, you know, all the lessons that he had learned in monetizing Star Wars. He brought to Beer Hero in order to get this movie done, and then he was also going through divorce at the time, which he poured a lot of that kind of like feeling into this place. This is a very this is a movie about the female characters in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very forward thinking in that way. Like I was speaking, I've done quite a lot of coverage about Willow for Den of Geek, for their magazine and for the website the new series. And it's kind of funny because the new series had which we'll get to, has a lot of like strong female characters and it's very diverse. But the original movie is, like, the main villain is an evil queen. One of the heroes ends up being her daughter, who's a total badass warrior in a way that you really hadn't seen at this point. She's not a red Sonja esque warrior. I love red Sonya, but she's not wearing a bikini. She's not you know, in service of a man. She is like a hardcore badass. And then you have you know, Willow has a family. He has his wife Kaya, he has his daughter Mims, who plays who plays a role in the new show too. There is a lot of time spent it as well as a Laura Dannon who is the Chosen One, who is a woman again moving away from that Luke Skywalker kind of trope of the male Chosen One. It has a lot of really interesting, unexpected character choices, and I will say, you know, this is a movie George Lucas had wanted to tell for a long time, a story he'd wanted to tell for a long time, and it was when he cast Warwick Davis, who was only eleven when he was cast in Return of the Jedi, I found out recently, which just unbelievable. And then George realized this could be a vehicle for Warwick in kind of this star vehicle. So this is also a movie where your heroic lead is a little person. And also, like now probably one of the most well known little person actors in the world. Warwick Davis just a total legend, but back then he wasn't. And I think that that's something we still don't really see. I can't think of another movie that's a heroic that has a heroic role with a little person or even a you know, a disabled person in a lead role that was a major blockbuster movie, and I just I love this movie so much. It's this great mixture between like coziness and horror and fantasy. And then you have the thing we haven't talked about, which is, you know, this just absolutely ridiculous, out there unforgettable performance by Val Kilma as Mad Martagan, and that becomes the kind of central part. I was watching the movie for this show and I was thinking, Oh my god, like how much Mad Martagan Willow fanfic is there, because they're basically like they pair them as like a husband and wife on this D and D style adventure.
Speaker 1: It's very interesting because you know, a lot of the criticism of this movie was, oh, okay, Mad Martigan is just Han solo, like this kind of rogue character warmed over this charming Mad Martigan's a fucking asshole.
Speaker 2: He sucks. This is a truly complex yeah, Like this is not some easy he is like a rogue ish It's far more realistic than the hand because this is like he sucks.
Speaker 1: He is an anti hero in the true sense of the world word, which is part of why I think the movie is. You know, the positioning of the characters is really courageous. From Lucas because again, like the the the female heroes are really the center of this story. And while Mad Martigan has some great action scenes and his you know, relationship with with Willow uh is part of like the emotional engine of the story. It's a lot of their interactions are like Mad Martigan just like calling Willow a peck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's always and he's always towards him, and he's always trying to like betray him. I think in Nojoy this this feels to me a lot more like the fantasy books that we've read and the kind of fantasy stories that we get now, which is this D and D party where you can have characters who are not trustworthy, there's always one person who's trying to betray you, who wants to get the treasure, who's doing it for their own way. And obviously Mad Martigan's journey across this movie is to realize, oh, there's something bigger at stake here, and it's this baby. Whether or not you believe she's a prophesized empress, she's just a little baby who needs help. And I'm here with my boyfriend Willow, and we're gonna look after her, you know. And then you have this Sorcia played by joe An Warley, who's also in the new series. She just has no time for Mad Martigan's shit. And it's such a joy to see this like enemies to lovers, like annoying. She's like, this guy is so annoying that there's just something there and they both kind of come together over this great battle. And one of the most interesting things about Willow that I love that comes into play heavily in the show is the end of Willow. Willow's journey is he is. He's a Nelwyn, which is what they call the community of people that he lives in, and he wants to be a sorcerer, and his dream is to be a sorcerer, to be an apprentice and to become a high sorcerer of his community. Right, but he really just does like funny magic tricks when he's at home. He doesn't really know how to do magic. And the end of the movie, he does a magic trick and he tricks Bavmorda into thinking he's made a Laura Dan and disappear, and then Bavmorda gets struck by lightning. So Willow doesn't actually do any magic. He's not a great sorcerer. He kind of does it off his own wits, in his own wiles. It's very star Wars. He it's very fun. But then thirty four years later, when you have this show, which is probably set around twenty years afterwards, everyone in the whole Kingdom of teraz Len thinks Willow is this genius magic sorcerer, and the show is kind of getting towards now this idea of like, well, we know what really happened in the movie, so how do you deal with that when you're now positioning him back into this magic and it's by again surrounding. There's a great moment in the trailer that was kind of when I realized the show was really going to get me, which is like someone says to Willa, like, how are you going to beat me? And he's like, like I did last time with my friends, And I'm like, yeah, that's the point. Like it's just some ragtag group of like people who are kind of outcast, kind of losers, like the the Party of Bandits who everyone is ignored, the sorcerer no one cares about, the female warrior no one takes seriously, the rogue who's betrayed so many people that they just left them in a skeleton, you know, cage to kind of rot away. Oh, actually, if we come together, we can do something. And I just think that's so much fun. And it's again, it kind of leans into those like you mentioned, you know, Dark Crystal Legend. All those movies were at the time, they didn't necessarily make a huge waves, but now you watch them and you're like, these movies are so long and so complex and so strange, and that's really what fantasy should be. And I think that's why Willow Is always kind of stood the test of time. For me and John Kasdan, who is the showrunner of the New Willow series, and who's you know, His dad is Lawrence Kasdan. His brother's Jake cas Down, So they're like Lucas phil Films Royalty. But he was like us. He was just somebody who watched it so many times as a kid, and he just loved it. And when he was the little kid, you know, he was like, wait, I don't understand why isn't there a sequel because we don't understand the notion of box offices and stuff, you know. And I felt the same way as a kid. I rewatched my VHS so many times, and I sort of couldn't believe that there wasn't another film.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, I think that the lesson that the industry took from Willow, which was a modest It was a modest success, but certainly not what people had associated with the name George Lucas. I think the lesson that the industry took was that fantasy is not well viable, is not where the market is now. Sci Fi is where the market is now. An increasing trend towards comic book material is where the market is now. And it wouldn't be until the appearance of Lord of the Rings to really show that fantasy can still sell tickets at the box office, because you know, it had come all the way back around in terms of sci fi with the matrix, which is basically like Star Wars of the Internet era, Jurassic Park, et cetera. You know, there was just not you never. The eighties was a rich time for fantasy content. Certainly not successful in the eyes of the industry, but the movies were good.
Speaker 2: And they became huge hits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but after Willow, that was kind of it for the next ten years. Okay, let's get into the show Willow Episodes one, two, three is what we're gonna cover. Here's what we'll just do a quick catchup on the first two episodes before we.
Speaker 2: Get to.
Speaker 1: Episode three. Episode one The Gales, written by Jonathan Cast and directed by Stephen Wolfenden. This introduces us to our our new cast of characters in the Willow series. They include Princess Kit, who is the daughter of Queen Sortia, who is in turns herself the daughter of the evil bav Morda from the Willow movie and now ruling Tira Slean. She her best friend is a warrior named Jade. They trained together all the time and clearly there are there are real feelings between those two real.
Speaker 2: And Jade is played by Aaron Kellyman who we're a huge fan of on the show Hit and his Nest from the end of Solo, one of the best but shortest character introductions. Then you know a part in Falcon the Winter Soldier, but again it was kind of a cut short role. This role really gives her a lot of meat and she gets to kind of be the shining night in this medieval inspired kind of story. And they're gonna Kit is the very much like, I'm not like other girls. Princess. Her dad is Mad Martigan, her mother is Sorcia Mad Martigan. Where is he?
Speaker 1: Nobody knows. Nobody knows.
Speaker 2: He went off on a thing and he never came back. So she's very much in that space. But she's gonna have to get married off to a prince called Graydon and played by Tony Revlorie Flash Thompson from Spider Man, and you can get the feeling right.
Speaker 1: He's a nice enough guy, but he's either one of them, and they both recognize that politically it's important to go through this marriage, but neither of them are particularly passionate about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't know each other to each other, and there is a party to celebrate this impending marriage. It kind of all goes awry when Kit's twin brother, Prince Eric, who is named after Eric, who is Mad mart Again's friend who died heroically in the original movie, Rigaler, a sassy hero, he was wonderful and.
Speaker 1: Eric Eric has a lot of the Mad mark. It's like the the roguishness of Mad Martigan without the kind of swordsmanship.
Speaker 2: He's never had to go out on an adventure he is. He's living his life. He's he's promiscuously making his way through the castle staff. He's he's a lover boy. Also, Dempsey Brick, who plays him, looks a lot like young Valkil, So this casting is like really wild, lo and behold if you're just wearing a floaty shirt and like sleeping with lots of girls, apparently in this world, that means you're going to get kidnapped by these nightmare irish creatures the Gales, And that happens. He gets swept up by a giant scary bird, and Kit is like, well, not having that, I'm off to save my brother. And surprisingly, her mother, who was just recently you know, desperate to get her into this arranged marriage, is like, actually that's a great idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go do it.
Speaker 2: Go do it. You go go with Kate, go with Jade, your best bud. Now.
Speaker 1: An interesting wrinkle here is that Eric has been messing around with a particular member of the household staff, a wonderful cook named Dove, and we discover at the end of episode one, when our group encounters Willow Willow Ofughgood of the movie Fame, he touches Dove's arm. Dove was not meant to be with this group. She kind of snuck away because she wants to. You know, she has really fallen for Eric, even though she's unsure of the way he feels about her. She just wants to find him. And Willow, sensing something about Dove, places his hand on her arm, revealing a sign. And guess what, folks, the long lost Empress Laura dan and the true Empress is this kitchen maid done.
Speaker 2: So this is actually terrible news as much as everyone's been waiting for her to survive, because basically, Sorcia mad Martigan, the whole of Terrace Lean has essentially kept Elaura Dannon secret. They hid her away, they pretended that they didn't know who she was, and they raised her in these kitchens as a kitchen girl so that she would not be in any danger and evil would not be able to find her. But now, lo and behold, she's off on an adventure, trying to go to the end of the earth to find her boyfriend. And she's very committed and she's going to do it. And team is rounded out by a really just unbelievably great addition who Queen Sorcia forces on the group, and his name is Borman and he's played by ama Chada Patel and he is so good and he's definitely channeling your biggest Mad Margan energy.
Speaker 1: He is like the he is the Marshall Mad Martigan, Yeah, brought to life here, the exact warrior with the quips, who you know is an adventurer and is definitely not the do everything by the book guy.
Speaker 2: No, and they do something I really think is so great. This definitely is in that space of what Jadmin Sivoid Brown's character in Scream five coined as the requell. This is it's the sequel that's also the reboot that introduces new characters, but you have to have the old characters. And this show does something really lovely, which is it spends a lot of time connecting those threads and Borman is not just oh, we're going to make this guy pretend to be Mad Martigan. No, he channels the spirit of Mad mart again. And as we get into the show, you learn why because he was friends with him, and that's actually how Sorsa gilts him into going on this trip with this group of kids, this kind of ya adventure party, because she's like, don't forget about your old friend, and yeah, In that first episode ends boom a Laura Danon is there. Willow's stoked to see her, but also like the whole now when people all live underground now because of how bad things have got. So it's not looking very hopeful. But Kid's not gonna let her brother be kidnapped. She's she's ready for the fight.
Speaker 1: In episode two, we get some extra wrinkles here. Laura is trying to learn some magic with the help of Willow. Willow is being very cagy about his own magic abilities at this particular time. Yes, and more on that in episode three. And then Laura gets kidnapped by one of the commanders of the tears Lean Guard, Commander Valentine, who it turns out has been possessed yes, we guess by these Gaels who attacked the castle. They touched him or were able in some way to bring him under their him. Almost with this, he kidnaps Laura and goes away. So now we're on a double search. We're looking for Eric, but we also got to get the true Empress Laura dan and back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that leads us to episode three, which the funnest thing about this is this is a show that I feel really deeply understands kind of where fantasy is in twenty twenty two and what people want to see, because episode three essentially is a side quest, which is like everybody's favorite thing to do in any kind of fantasy RPG or like a tabletop game. So I love that they were like side quest episode. It's like a really it's a really fun little trope, and this is why you really start digging in. So we're going to do the real recap for this one.
Speaker 1: So we open on a flashback ten thousand years ago. This is a story that is being recounted by Borman to Princess kit and he is telling the story of Thule, who was the scion of the king of Chimeria, but he was seen as weak by his brother Tiberius, and so Tiberius decided, you know what, I think I should be a king instead, and therefore I'm going to lay siege to the capital of Chimeria. Annabelle, the mother of both of these young men, to protect her son, Thule forges a set of magical armor that locks with a special key called the Luxarkana that will only allow those worthy of the defensive power of this armor to wear it. Thule then goes to ride out alone wearing the armor to face his brother and his brother army of death dealers, but before Borman can tell the rest of the story, Kid is like, I'm fucking bored.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: She's like this boring, yeah, and this is the point of this story.
Speaker 2: She's like, please just get to the pop about my dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you knew my dad. So what is up with that? Where you get and Borman then says, uh, and this is what you were talking about, which is this understanding of where fantasy is in twenty twenty two. Borman then says a line that is a wonderful wink to the audience. Your generation has zero attention span for epic tales.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so much fun that that line. I'm so glad you picked out because that really sums up to me how this is. If there's one thing that this is most influenced by Tonally, I would say it's the Princess Bride, because the thing they didn't really get into so far is the show is very fantastical. It's really beautifully shot. It was all shot on location in Wales, so it's really colorful and doesn't really look like anything else. But it's also just very funny and like intentionally funny and consistently meta and winking and also just like classically silly.
Speaker 1: There's a breeziness to it that is, you know, when you think fantasy, right, you think English accents, you know, this kind of like Shakespearean kind of approach. That is not the case with this. Ellie Bamper, who plays a Laura Dannon, is a British access using an American accent. You know, Like it's very much the opposite of what you would expect, Like there's not the kind of fussiness yea of the normal kind of fantasy.
Speaker 2: Almost like it's almost like, and this is coming from me, is a big like compliment, but it's almost like casual fantasy. Like I feel like it's like when you watch something like Game of Thrones. You got to watch that first season and you have to learn every single family and political group and the way that they're connected and the hundreds of years of history that shape them, which we love. That's literally what we love to talk about. But this is one of those shows where I feel like anyone could just put it on and kind of vaguely recognize the archetypes but not feel like there's too much. And that partially comes from the fact that Willow is one movie that came out thirty four years ago, going you know, touching on one of mine and Jason's favorite topics aka the X Men. There are three Willow novels written by none other than Chris Claremont that expand the law of the story. But even then, you're talking about three books, the third one which is incredibly hard to find that most people haven't read, and one movie, so there is not a lot of law. You can have that breeziness, that kind of fun of expanding the idea of what the show is well, kind of using it as a vessel to sort of nod to the things that we really like and enjoy about fantastic.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate that about it. It's a very very easy and fun watch. Okay. So basically Borman is like, Okay, here's the deal. You, your dad, Morgan, and I were trying to find this armor at one point in time in order to defend Tira's lean from this the evil Crone that we are currently sort of in a mission against, you know, right now, even though our real mission is find Laura Dennon and find Eric Commander Ballantine of Tira's Lean. He has a Laura prisoner. He has been possessed by the Gaels. Jade finds him just as he's getting on his horse with a Laura and he's like, listen, I'm He tries to kind of play it off, you know, he's like, well, I'm working for the Queen. I'm working for Queen Sortia, you know, a Laura's mom, and it was my job to take a Laura back home, and that's what I'm doing. And then Willow shows up and says, well, yeah, that may be the case, but a Laura should only go home if she wants to go home. And she's unconscious over the back of your horse right now, it doesn't look like she's doing anything that she actually wants to do. It should be her decision. So the whole party shows up, you know, Willow's friend Silas is Patriots Silas Prince Grayden, Boorman Kit and they take out their swords and we get a big fight, but Valentine and his men get away with a Laura in this kind of in the confusion. After Willow attempts to do some sort of like magic spell all he does is really kind of cause a lot of smoke to be to be thrown up, and by the time the smoke clears, a Laura and Commander Valentine are gone. Willow then tells them that Valentine's men have been overtaken by evil magic and this is the work of the Gales. All of a sudden, we hear the voice of the Crone speaking through these storm clouds on the horizon, and the Crone, we learn, does not want to kill Laura because Laura can't really be killed, like her energy is instructible. You kill, yeah, now.
Speaker 2: She's not You could have killed a baby, but now you can't really kill.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, you can't do anything else. You might banish her from the from the world for a while, but she'll just be reborn again. What you need to do, and what the Crone wants to do, is as an adult, take her prisoner and therefore remove her light energy from the world, and that's how you could rule this land. This is exactly what bav Morda was trying to do in the original movie. Elsewhere a Laura manages to get free of Commander Balentine, she runs into the woods and while this is happening. Our hero's wagon has broken down. We get a nice nod to the kind of lucasfilm a DNA of this when so the wagon wheel is like falling off the wagon and they're trying to figure out how to fix it, and Borman is like, well, hold on, you're a sorcerer, can't you just like lift it with magic? And Willow is like, no, we can't do that, although there's going to be other reasons why he can't use his magic right now that will tell you in a second. In the forest, while Willow and Borman and Silas are trying to figure out what's up with the wagon wheel, Kit and Jay are having a much needed conversation. They haven't really had a moment a loan since they've started this adventure, and the last kind of real interaction between them was when you know, Kit was being introduced to her future husband, Prince Graydon, and Jade was feeling not great about it, and Kit was also feeling really shitty about it, and they basically had an argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Jade wanted Jade was gonna become the first woman to have been able to train as a knight, but it would have meant leaving Kit, and Kit was feeling very Kit was very spoilt about it and caused the big drama and it was a huge moment. And now they're having a conversation because Ballentine, who is the evil now evillly possessed man who stole really jas and Laura Danet, he's Jade's mental He raised her. Jade was raised as an orphan in the palace and it has been most of her life. Ballentine has been that father figure and has trained out how to fight. So, yeah, he's gonna need to die.
Speaker 1: So Kit is saying to Jade exactly that listen, if we face balance again, you've got to be ready to kill him without hesitation. And Jade is like, I wasn't hesitating. I was focused on trying to save your life. And Kid is like, I'm a good I'm actually a good fighter, which you don't think I can hold my own and I don't need saving. And Jade then tells Kit, and we're in really big reveal that you know, basically saying, well, you're a good fighter. I always I've been helping you be a good fighter. And by the way, your mom ordered me to basically be your friend in order to train you to become a good fighter. And Kit is shaken at this, and you know, Jade tries to soften it by saying, yeah, but then you know, I developed feelings for you since, like it became a real friendship and obviously something more. But Kit doesn't want to hear this. In the world, it's Laura, you know, goes through these kind of dark and shadowy woods to this sunny clearing and she finds this this cabin and two woodswomen living there, Hubert and Anne. A. Laura is panicked, you know, she doesn't know if Valentine and the rest are right on her heels. And she's telling these women like these bad men are coming. They're wicked men. They want to take me prisoner, they may kill you and whatever. And Hubert and Anne are just like, hey, do you want to eat some roasted mushrooms?
Speaker 2: Don't worry about it, like it's fine, that's a good about it.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere, our heroes with the wagon are struggling. They're lost in the storm. They decide, okay, we're going to cover more ground if we split up. Kit specifically orders the teams so that she and Jade will be searching separately back to the Woods, Laura tells the Woods women that you know, it's funny you mentioned Laura danon Ladies because I am a Laura Dannon. I know, it's weird by the way, I just found it out. I'm still processing that myself. It's kind of a honestly, it's kind of like been a huge mind fuck, but yeah, it's true. I am a Laura dan And they're like, oh, let us see the mark. Then show us the mark on the arm if you really learned. She raises her sleeve, shows them the mark, and now all of a sudden, these women are like, holy shit, you're the true Empress.
Speaker 2: This is what they've been waiting for.
Speaker 1: We've been waiting for this. There's legends about this, there's legends about what will happen. And they realize, oh, that means you really are in danger, and if you're the true Empress, that means that we should join you in whatever adventure.
Speaker 2: Whatever You've got us on side.
Speaker 1: We have your back. We let's get out of here before these men show up. Let's get you somewhere safe. Laura says, no, no, no, we can't go somewhere safe and just hold up. I have to rescue my boyfriend Eric from the crone. They're like, okay, fine, we're gonna help you. Before they can do anything, Commander Valentine shows up immediately, and I mean like almost mediately, he kills Hubert.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's such a shame too, because Hubert just goes full badass. Hubert pulls out an axe. Hubert hits Ballentine with it, and everyone's like, oh my god, Hugh, but you're so cool, like I can't believe you did that. And then Ballentine lo and behold, he's basically a zombie because he's been possessed by the evil of the Liches and the Gaels. So then he just kills Huba r I p.
Speaker 1: Huba Hubert Hubert played by the Great hadn't Hannah Wadding yea fame? Uh And and you see her and you're thinking, oh, she's gonna be around for a little while. Nope, not even an episode. R I p r ip to Hubert. Quickly, both women are cut down and goes down in quick quick order right after that, and the commander promises Laura that more will die unless you come with us. You have to come with us or your friends will continue to get cut down. Kit and Borman continue their conversation about mad Martgan. You know, why did Borman return from their adventures in man Martigan didn't? Where is my dad? What happened? Borman kind of insinuates that something there was some kind of fight that was deadly, because he says I got lucky, basically saying, you know, your dad didn't get so lucky. They're looking at this kind of like storm surging all around them, and they start thinking, you know, we're in the middle of this dark energy, this dark storm. Maybe what we need is some light. Maybe what we need is that magical armor that I was telling you about at the top of this episode. Meanwhile, back with the Wagon, Grayden tells Jade, hey, have you noticed, like I noticed that Willow's magic isn't Like he didn't want to he didn't want to lift the wagon, and then when he used a spell when Valentine showed up, it really was not it didn't work. Really, I'm worried that Willow's magic is I'm willing we're that Will's magic is fading? Is that the case? And it turns out it is. We then see Willow have a conversation with his friend silas where he's basically saying, hey, I don't have much magic left. I need to save every drop of energy, magical energy that I have left in order to beat the crone when we face her, in order to save a Laura Dan, and I can't waste all this. Suddenly we have an answer on why. Willow, you know who has been bragging about what a great sorcery is ever since he's arrived in this story. He's been talking about it a lot.
Speaker 2: He asked to that's the game that he has to play, and all the interesting thing is he he is very wary of the future. He has these visions and he is seeing something that he feels like he can't stop, but he wants to, so he's saving his magic. And that is like you said, why he's you know, just lift the car. I know, I can't tell that much magic, just a little bit.
Speaker 1: Like as you said, he has. Will as he's talking to his friend, has a flash of a vision and he realizes that he knows where they need to go. We go to Borman and Kit. They come to a graveyard. This Borman says is probably where the armor is, somewhere in the tunnels of this Necropolis, and they decide to go down in there. Laura, meanwhile being held by Captain Balentine, decides enough is enough. I'm a I've just learned that I am the true Empress. That means that I have magical power, and in fact, I have almost infinite magical power if I can just get in touch with it. Willow is trying to teach me an incantation. Maybe it'll work. She uses a little bit of her magic to get one of Balentine's goon's away from her, and then she starts the incantation that will taught her. That is, we imagine, supposed to call some sort of like magical protectors to fight for her. Nothing happens, but then her friends Grade and Jade, Willow and Silas Actually so.
Speaker 2: Maybe I did by.
Speaker 1: Jade begs Ballentine if he's in there her mentor to let her help him, help him get free, and he's like no. They lower their the their helms and they get in another big fight, another big sword fight. All the while down in the graveyard, kitt and Wormon are getting chased by wear rats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just like they are on the side quest and it is not going well.
Speaker 1: Kit is not going well. There is no hint of this magical armor, and in.
Speaker 2: Fact, they like it eat very shady stuff, like he keeps going off by himself, and Kit's kind of left not really understanding what's going on. And then of course there are the wear rats.
Speaker 1: Yes, back at the fight. Laura is like, Willow, we need your sorcery. You've been talking a big game.
Speaker 2: There's a magic.
Speaker 1: Is the fucking magic, let's go. He is like making an excuse that you know, the sense we get is man that Willow's gas tank must be on empty. But then he uses this well anyway, and it is quite impressive. Valentine's men are like torn apart by this. Valentine himself is like bathed in this very destructive energy and he falls to the ground. We see, you know, in the wake of this, that Silas has been wounded in the fighting, and then he dies heartbreakingly in Willow's arms. And Valentine now mortally wounded, like he's done. But he's back to himself now and he talks to Jade. He's telling her, listen, you have to protect a Laura. Now that she's back, she has to be protected. Here's what's up with the Crone. The Crone is terrified of a Laura. You have to take a Laura to the immorial city, and that if you do that and protect her, you can defeat the Crone. And that's it, and then tyras Lean will be safe forever. And now that I've told you everything that I know, I need you to kill me because I'm not going to make it. And Jade, with Tyrs in our eyes, finishes him off. There's a storm there in this place called the Pitiless Path, which is now flooding because they're in the middle of this like terrible rainstorm. They see a set of steps going up the hill and Borman's like, I don't know where we're going, but I see a set of steps that gets us out of this floodplain, So I'm going up there. And they end up like on this mesa on the top of this mountain with this very very very very scary city in the in the distance, and they're all like, where the fuck are we? We have no idea where this is. But Willow knows because he was there in Willow the movie.
Speaker 2: He was knockmar don don the place of a Laura.
Speaker 1: Donnan, You're absolutely right. This is like a it's almost like a y E take on fantasy. It's super super fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really fun. It's like I love the I think that the thing that makes it stand out to me. I love anything YA really like. I read a lot of YA books. I love stories where they tell them through the lens of young characters. I think it's a really interesting way to reinvigorate a franchise or to tell a new story. I loved you know, the Force Awakens. I love the Lost Jedi. But what I think is really cool here is that fun mixture between the new characters. But still this is a Willow show, so you have Willow there, and the way that they kind of tie them together in this this D and D esque against idea, it just feels really like different and very fun, and it's it's really I think that you were spot on when I when I spoke to John Casden about making the show, he was sort of making jokes about how nobody really knows about Willow. You know, it's not a high kind of profile property. And I think that in the way that you mentioned that probably gave them a lot of free reign under the Disney banner. And you know, In my interview with him for den If Geek, he said, like, this wouldn't have happened without Disney. Plus they needed ip, they needed content, so he got to take this swing and make something that does feel really different, and it kind of it's a great holiday show, but it does make me laugh because I'm just like, you just drop this casually on November thirtieth, and it's just so different to anything else that Disney, Plass or any other streamers really doing. It's it's very fun and I'm really excited to kind of continue the journey with these characters, especially Jade and Kick, because we're really getting to see this friendship growing into something more between them, and you're getting the fun of like a Laura and Grayden, and you get to see all these different little relationships that are building. And something I think is really special is, you know, it doesn't seem like val Kilma is going to be able to be in this season. He's had a lot of health issues.
Speaker 1: Must they do something else?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, at cast exactly or have you know? But what I think is really interesting is they are very keen to keep the instead of just being like mad Margan died. Yeah, most of the legacy characters here are deeply connected to Mad Martigan. Jade has a Mad Martagan esquing us about her because Jade is a knight who wants to fight and wants to be there and will do anything, and Jade kind of has this mysterious past just like Mad Martigan. Then you have Boorman, who's obviously your standard Mad Margan. Then you have Kit, who is also connected to Mad Martigan and who much of her journey is really driven by wanting to find out what happened to her dad. So it's really interesting that even though the character might not be appearing in the show, you still there's no easy writing that out. They've just decided to embrace that character and kind of the legacy of Vow's performance and build it in in different ways, which I think is really inventive and very comic.
Speaker 1: Bookie, I have a theory that the Crone is a man, and it's Mad Martigan who he's trying to get his kids back. He just wants to spend time, That's why he wants That's why he kidnapped Eric. He would love to kidnap a Laura Dan and because he's start in.
Speaker 2: The Memorial City so he can't. Wow, that's terrifying, and I love it. That would be so good. That would be so good. Yeah. And I think that's another fun thing is that we didn't even really touch on is that we haven't seen the Crone yet, but the character designs so far for the scary monsters are like legitimately scary. One of them looks like.
Speaker 1: A how raised really terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you have you know, the flying monsters, the gales. It's very cool to see that high fantasy done in a way where you get both the darkness and the scariness of the monsters. But something that kind of blew me away when I was watching this is I really love the visual landscape the career of the world. It's very colorful, it's very saturated, and the colors are bright, and the world feels very textured. But they're not trying to make it look any different than the original Willow, which was like very woodsy and very nature based. And I just, yeah, it's really fun and I hope a lot of people I know in our discord there's definitely a few people who've checked out their original movie because they really liked the first couple of episodes, and I hope.
Speaker 1: An interesting movie too. I gotta say, like, when you watch the original Willow, I don't know how many people will, but the thing that struck me rewatching it recently was man Ron Howard wants you to see that they are not on a set like no, the scope of all the shots. There's very few close ups in that movie. It's all these like long shots where you see the background and you see the characters riding on a horseback across the hills, and you see the walls of the castle in the background of like the shot, and you see the characters head to toe in the in the frame. A really interesting visual style from Ron Howard, like really leaning into like the epic scale of it.
Speaker 2: Definitely I think a lot about even the opening I was watching it, so you have this really scary moment where you have the kitchen maid definitely nice echo there of what happens with Doff, but the kitchen maid who saves the bay be a Laura Dan and when she's just about to be killed so the prophecy can happen, and there's this huge chase through the woods and the death dogs are following her and it's really scary, and they kind of but before they get to her. The opening sequence with the tup where the title comes, it's just her chillin' on the side of a bank with the baby, and it just comes up next to it and just says Willow, and it's like, it feels like you're reading one of those incredible pages in any fantasy novel, whether it's something like star Dust or it's something like Game of Thrones, it feels like the page where you're reading it, and it's the description of the trickling water and the leaves and the wind blowing through the branches. Like Willow really gets into that epic space that fantasy can give you. And I think that that's a fun thing about doing a TV show of it, is like you can have time to do your side quest. The movie does have that, like there's some funny stuff where they go to they go to a brothel to try and find somebody to take the baby, and that becomes its own of comedic side quest. But here you get to do a whole side quest episode and you have the fantasy side quest, you have the personal side quest. So it's really nice this to me. I reviewed it for IGN. I gave a very very glowing review no surprises, because I thought it was great. But one of the things I pointed out is this, to me feels like if you're going to have a platform like Disney Plus, this is what you should be doing, like taking weird underseen movies and giving them space to kind of expand the law and expand the world and introduce new characters and and kind of reimagine the these kind of tropes and fictional spaces. So yeah, I think it's I think it's really fun. I'm very cozy, especially if you like fantasy already and you want to see a kind of adventure party story or a story where you can have recognizable tropes and plotlines and little ideas. It's very cozy and comforting in that way, even though it's you know, predominantly new characters.
Speaker 1: I have one more wrinkle to my mad martgre is the Crown theory, and it's that he put the curius on, he put the magical set of armor on. But like as Borman was telling us, the lucks are kind of the key that unlocks the suit of armor. It it can tell if you're worthy of what much like force hammer, right, he can tell if you're worthy of wearing it. So what happens if you're not worthy of wearing it and you put it on? You get trapped in it? I am is trapped in it.
Speaker 2: I love that that would be so great. I'd love to see where that could go. And kind of I feel like this episode especially leans into this idea of Kit is looking for Eric, but now she's realizing, wait a minute, I'm out of the castle for the first time, I can be looking for my dad. And I think this idea of where is Matt Martigan and what happened to him that's probably going to play a key part going into the next five episodes.
Speaker 1: And by the way, it helps us get around you know, Val Kilmer not being able to be in the film. Is this a suit of armor? Folks? Yeah, that's him.
Speaker 2: And if you want, you can the voiceover. And I believe now it's Vow's son who does all of his voiceover work for him. Yeah. I believe that that was something that had come out of a documentary recently, So I think that that's already established that he could if we wanted to have some voiceovers for Kit rather than necessarily a visual and Val did a very supportive He did a very supportive Instagram post recently about the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He you know, he met his eventually wife, Joanne wally Kilmer on Willow, So I'm sure it's a movie that is very special to him and they had you know, his son is his son with Joel Wally Kilmer. So I'm sure that that is This is a project. I'm sure that is special to him and we can't wait to continue following it over the course of the season. Big thank you to Rosie Knight for joining us on X ray Vision. Rosie, what do you have to plug? You mentioned all your writings on Willow lar Places. What else are you doing?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: Can you reveal anything of your secret project yet?
Speaker 2: Not yet, but soon, hopefully soon, because I did. I did just finish the first draft of said secret project, so fingers crossed it will be soon.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Yes, if you want to know more about Willow, feel free. I wrote a bunch of different pieces. There's going to be a great Willow story in the new Den of Geek magazine. You can get that from your local comic book shop. I will be writing a really exciting cover story for Den of Geek in the new year. Too, which hasn't been announced yet, and same as always ign Polygon. We just put out the best Comics of twenty twenty two at Polygon. I submitted really something about a film that I really loved called Slashback for a nerdost piece that will be out soon about the best underseen movies and TV of the year. So yeah, lots of fun stuff and always here and Rosie marks on Instagram and letterbox.
Speaker 1: Catch the next episode of x ray Vision on December sixteenth for.
Speaker 3: The movie event of the decade.
Speaker 1: Avatar Way of Water. That's right, folks, it's here.
Speaker 2: It's watery.
Speaker 1: Subscribe to the show on YouTube, follow on at XRB pod on Twitter, and check out the discord to meet and hang out with tons of amazing fans and listeners. Plus Rosie and I will be there. Five star reviews we gotta have them. We love them, meet them, we love to get them. Here's one from Anisha twenty one helps fill the gaps. I love this podcast so much. Thank you, so much, Anisha, Thank you. I love a lot of fandoms, but can't get into reading comics and high fantasy. They're just not for me. Listening to this podcast helps me fill in the gaps of my knowledge, form theories and DRU connections where I haven't seen them previously. Can't recommend it more.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Salt Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy rhard Are editing and sound design by Vasilli's Photopoulos. Dilon Villanueva and Matt De Group provide video production support. Alex Rella for handle social media. Thank you, Brian Vasquez for theme music. Folks will see you next time. Goodbye.