Speaker 1: I am all in again. Oh that's just you.
Speaker 2: I Smell pop Culture with Eastern Allen and iHeart radio podcast. Hi friends, it's I Smell pop Culture. My name is Easton Allen. You heard Scott saying it earlier, he said my name. That's the coolest part of the show for me. I love hearing Scott Patterson say my name. We are going to be hanging out and talking about pop culture because I smell it.
Speaker 1: I smell pop culture. Do you smell it? You can't hear it, you can't taste it yet. And here's what we do on this show.
Speaker 2: If this is your first time hanging out with us, we Gilmer Girls does all these great pop culture references. They really make the world of Stars Hollow feel like a real place by linking it to our world. They're referencing movies, TV shows, music, celebrities. All these things get referenced in the show. And we're not just going to list them off. Here's what we're going to do. We're going to dive deeper. We are going to talk to the people that make these pop culture references real. We're going to talk to people behind them, and we're going to find out how they became a pop culture icon.
Speaker 1: So this week we're going back to the nineties. People. When you think about nineties sitcoms, what comes to mind? What do you think about?
Speaker 2: In my opinion, if you talk about the nineties and you talk about a sitcom, there is one show that comes to mind. There is one, and that is Full House. Think about full House, that theme.
Speaker 1: Song everywhere you look.
Speaker 2: And then the font, the full House font. That's ninety sitcom font. So many of the themes in Full House are just so iconic of that era, and it's a show that you can continue to revisit over and over. We're going to talk to Andrea Barber. She played Kimmi Gibble on Full House. She was in every season. She was there from the beginning. She's the funny, kind of weird girl that lives next door. She's DJ Tanner's best friend. And we are going to talk to her today. And here's the reason why full House was mentioned in Gilmore Girls, not once, but twice. And I'm going to tell you what those references are. The first one is in season six, episode sixteen. This is when Bridesmaids revisited. And I'm going to be before I read this off to you. I'm going to come out front and say I think this joke sucks. I don't like this at all, and I has not aged well and I think even at the moment it was not cool to do.
Speaker 1: But I hear it is. I'm going to say it.
Speaker 2: Laura is like watching Gigi, and Gigi's watching full House, and laurle I says, oh, full House. You know, I think the Olsen Twins way less now than they did on that show. Huh, not cool to do. I don't like that joke.
Speaker 1: So they were referenced again on season seven, episode five, The Great Stink.
Speaker 2: Logan and Rory are walking down this and Rory says that Bobby called them an adorable couple. Bobby is Logan's a coworker, and Rory did not like that compliment. She said that adorable is what you say about a Full House rerun. You don't say that about a couple. She did not like being called adorable, But full House is adorable. That's what we love about it. And you know who else is adorable? Kimmy Gibbler. We love her as the neighbor. We love everything Kimmy stands for, and we are going to talk to Andrea Barber. She brought Kimmy to life. And now Andrea is here, it is I smell pop culture. Andrew, thank you so much for doing this. It is so nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 3: What an intro. That's fantastic. I'll come on the show anytime with that kind of.
Speaker 2: Intro strap in. It's only going to get better from here. So there are a lot of fictional neighbors out there in sitcom land, and I have to say, Kimmy is my favorite. Wilson on Home Improvement, You're out. Kimmy Gilbler is the best.
Speaker 3: You know, She's definitely more flavorful than Wilson, that's for.
Speaker 2: Sure, absolutely absolutely so. Before we dive into the full house of it all, the if people haven't seen Full House, and if you haven't, what on earth is going on with you?
Speaker 3: Right right?
Speaker 2: Kimmy Gibler is DJ Tanner is a best friend. And your friendship is so fun It's so funny, it's so beautiful. It's just it's something I love to watch. And Gilmore Girls is like, at its core about the relationships between mothers and daughters and other female friendships. Would you the friendship that Kimmy had with DJ would is that something that was inspired by anything in your personal life, Like do you have close female friendships like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if it was inspired by I mean, obviously I was very close with Candice Cameron Bray growing up, just because we spent a lot of time together on the set. I was also close with Jody Sweeten as well. But I don't know if it was inspired. The writers did mine our lives for storylines, so whether it was getting your first pimple or stuffing you're broad to make your boobs look bigger or things like that, you know, they would kind of like mine our personal lives for ideas. Because it was a bunch of men. There was a bunch of male writers who didn't have kids writing for this show. This family show.
Speaker 1: Incredible, kind of hysterical.
Speaker 3: I don't know, if you know the premise, the original premise of Full House was supposed to be. It wasn't supposed to be a family show. It was supposed to be house of comics with three comedians, just you know, kind of like a bachelor pad almost so Jeff Franklin quickly pivoted in a different direction when ABC was like, yeah, we need a family show, and he was like, oh, let me change this pitch on the spot, you know, in the in the middle of the pitch meeting. So thus full House was born. But yeah, so the friendship between Kimmy and DJ. I love this friendship because not many Tanners liked Kimmy Gibbler. She was you know, they kinda gave her a hard time. Granted she deserved some of it because she was a bit of a wild card. She never rang the doorbell, she never knocked. She just barged in and said what was on her mind. But DJ was there for her. Like through it all, they remained best friends, and the Tanners were kind of a surrogate family for Kimmy Gibbler. You know, she just wanted to be a member of the Tanner family.
Speaker 1: I mean, who would want to be you know, we all you.
Speaker 3: Know, it felt This is the number one thing I hear from fans. It's like they feel like they were the Tanners were the family that they wish they had had growing up. They felt like it was an extension. They were an extension of the family, and they were. You know, our fans are very loyal, were very lucky. So yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: I mean you started You're in the first episode of Full House. I mean like you were like a recurring character for the first few seasons, right, but then like you you were there from the beginning when you were ten years old when you started that rule.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's from ages ten to eighteen. So my entire awkward adolescence is captured on tape.
Speaker 1: Textbook. Formative years is spent on the set.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, which, yeah, I'm surprised I came out of that unscathed. But no, it's I mean it's fun. You know. Jody Sweeten and I have this rewatch podcast how rud Tannerto's also on iHeartRadio, and so we're watching the show for the first time, and it's so great. It's like watching home movies together and make fun of each other's hairstyles, the bad bangs, the terrible perms, the shoulder pads. There's so many shoulder pads, you know, in the early nineties. It's just it's fantastic. So yeah, it's it's it's a blessing and a curse to have all of your formative years for the world to see. It's fun when you get to look back and you can kind of laugh at yourself and make fun of yourself at the time, I don't know if I was laughing at about it at the time, but now I can look back with fond memories and think, oh, yeah, we were silly. It was a good time.
Speaker 2: It's a you know, I know, people that act as children have there's so many different experiences that come out there. And I'm ten years old, I mean, doing this, I'm curious, what was that like? Because you probably it must have been cool to be on it. You're on a TV set, you're in a studio, you're on TV. I mean, that's got to be insanely cool. But also you're ten, you're eleven, like your friends are going to the park and you know, stuff like that, Like what was that like for you?
Speaker 1: Did you love it? Did you dislike it at times?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: And yes?
Speaker 3: Like that's this is a this is a multifaceted question with multifaceted answers At ten years old. Yeah, I was still enjoying it. You know, I still had a great balance of real home life and then set life. My parents were great about that, making sure I still went to regular school, regular public school. On my hiatus weeks. I still had, you know, my friends at school, I still went to like school dances. Once I got to high school, I went to my prom. You know, I had all that stuff. So I remained as grounded and as normal as possible. But yes, you know, Full House was on the air for eight seasons, which is a long time. So somewhere in the middle of that, I did get really burned out and I was like, I don't want to do this anymore, Like I just want to hang out with my friends after school. It wasn't so much Full House. It was the audition circuit because as a child actor, it's like every afternoon after school getting on the freeway, sitting in traffic, doing these auditions that you probably won't get because it's all a numbers game and you get a lot of rejection. And I was just tired of it. So my parents were great, They said, you know what, you can quit anytime you want. You can't quit on the one oh one freeway in the middle of traffic, but with a well thought out letter to your agent, you'd stop it anytime. So I called up my agent, Judy Savage, and I told her I need a break, and she said, great, why don't you take you know, three four, five, six months, whatever you need and then just call me when you're ready to get back into it. So I thought, great, So that whole hiatus whatever. I was probably fourteen fifteen years old, that whole hiatus period of three or four months when we were off off from taping Full House. I was just a kid and it was great. And after six months I was like, Okay, I'm ready to get back to work. I'm refreshed, I'm recharged. And it was a good It was a good balance. I had a very good balance in my life. So shout out to my parents for that.
Speaker 1: That makes me so happy to hear that. That's awesome. You have incredible parents.
Speaker 2: But also everyone listening out there, let this be a reminder of the importance of taking breaks. I mean, my goodness, like that whatever juvenating period for you. And I'm so impressed that you had the foresight at such a young age to like know, like, I have to do this for this time and then I can give back to it if I want to.
Speaker 3: Oh. Thanks, Yeah, it's important, especially in whole hustle culture. Now it gets different. Being a child actor in the ninety it is very different than it is now. I can't imagine being a child actor. Now with just the presence of social media changes the whole game. But back then it was really I feel like child actors in the nineties, it was a hobby for us. It wasn't We weren't, you know, paying the mortgage for our parents with our paychecks. You know, it was really all that money went into a trust fund, and it was just fun for us. And that's why I stuck with it as long as I did. Plus, I was under contract with full House, But besides my contractual obligations, it was really the people. I mean, I wouldn't be I wouldn't be doing a rewatch podcast with Jody if I didn't love it. We would never have come back for Fuller House if we didn't absolutely love it to our core. And so it was a great, great experience. But yeah, no, take those breaks, people, take those breaks if you need them. That is such a good lesson.
Speaker 1: Where did you this film? Full House? Like? Where was that shot?
Speaker 3: In Los Angeles? Two different locations. We started out at Lori mar which I believe is now Sony Studios in Culver City, and then somewhere in the middle of the run of the show, we moved to Warner brother there's Stage twenty four, So right there in Gilmore Girl's land. Yes, walked past that little gazebo you know, every single day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we were there stage twenty four, and we came back for Fuller House to stage twenty four at Warner Brothers. So it was a very full circle moment to be on that same stage, same dressing rooms. It was like coming home again.
Speaker 1: That is awesome.
Speaker 2: Stage twenty four also the Friends stage for the Friend's iconic I mean, my god. So if you're going on that Warner Brothers tour, and if you listening to this podcast, you either have or you have plans to because it's all Gilmore so Gilmore heavy, but there's also a lot of full House history there. That's Stage twenty four. Write that down, everybody.
Speaker 3: It's a magical stage. Yep. Good things happen on that stage.
Speaker 2: So and you were saying, you're talking about Fuller House, and that's another similarity that we have to Gilmore Girls is because Gilmre Girls came back for a revival many years later as wellmazing. Yes was that So that was a fun experience for you. Did you enjoy What was it like stipping back into that role after a decade or whatever.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was so rewarding, like it was great. Jeff Franklin are the creator of both full House and Fuller House, our executive producer. I think he didn't know what to expect. He's like, you know, it's been thirty years. I don't know. He was like, do you guys need acting lessons? Like it had been like twenty years for me. I had stepped away from Hollywood. I hadn't acted in twenty years, So I was kind of like, I don't know. I think I still don't It's like riding a bike, right, I can still do it, And it was. It was effortless. Again, you do something for eight years of your childhood, it's like learning a language as a child. You're like a sponge. You just absorb it and it's with you for the rest of your life. So that's how Kimmy Gibler was for me. She's just inside of me all the time. She just lias dormant now and then, but then she comes out and emerges. But it was great. It really felt like coming to your childhood home, walking through the set for the first time again after thirty years. The couch was there, the oo plaid curtains and couch, and like all the weird nautical decor. Why why it had a nautical decor. I don't know. Maybe it's the San Francisco Bay, I don't know. Besides that, yeah, it was so rewarding to come back as an adult and play the same character that I did for eight years as a child, because I know now as an adult how fleeting that is. Like, nobody gets eight seasons of a show anymore. You're lucky if you get a second season or a third season on any of these platforms. But yeah, and it's about the people. Like the Full House cast, we're family. I know it's so schmaltzy and cheesy, but we really do love each other so much. We are in each other's lives forever. And yeah, it was it was great. I would come back again, all of us, without even hesitation. We would come back and do a fullest House, which I don't know if anybody wants that. I know the diehard Full House fans want that, and we would love to do it, just to have an ex used to hang out and get to do it all over again and sit on that tiny blue couch that does really doesn't fit more than two people, but we somehow crammed a whole family.
Speaker 1: On that couch.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad that that was the experience you had, because, like as viewers, I mean, the experience, it was so such similar way to describe it, it's like it felt like going back to a safe place and a place that we as viewers again have so many fond memories, and so hearing that like to make it was such a pleasant thing, it makes it even better.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm glad to hear that. Yeah, I know, it's it's it's very special, right, the poll of nostalgia is so strong, and I don't know, especially with nineties the nineties television shows pop culture, there was something very comforting about shows from the eighties and nineties. It was a simpler time. It was before nine to eleven, it was before social media, it was before cell phones, and I think people kind of miss the simplicity of those times. So you're right, it's like comfort food. She shows like full House and Gilmore Girls and then the reboots that it makes you feel good inside, and a lot of people you know in their in their forties now they have, they have kids, they're raising kids, and they're introducing these shows to their kids too and making it a family watching experience all over again. And I love it. I think that's great. I think we should get back to like the T G i F Fright Night, Family on the Couch. You know, this is this is something that's missing from society. Now, let's bring it back Easton, Let's bring back T G I F.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're bringing back t G I F.
Speaker 2: There's so many great Kimmy moments on Full House. The ones that stand out to me practicing bagpipes or the fence.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: The other one I love is when you had a pet ostriche.
Speaker 3: Yes that might have been that was Was that the same that might have been the same episode?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes it was, and.
Speaker 3: Why I don't know how those things are related, bagpipes and ostriches, but it made sense.
Speaker 2: That's a tie of and the beauty of Kimmy Gibbler. Anything can happen. And so that was a puppet ostrich.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, it was the fakest looking like this is where you really gotta suspend belief, Like I'm sure they spent a lot of money on that puppet, but it just looked terrible. But yeah, they wanted Kimmy to have a pet Ostrich and she was kind of driving Jesse nuts during this episode, like between the Ostrich that was poking him and his it laid it have a mullet then, but his you know the hair watch the hair, huh. And then the bagpipes again, of course Kimmy Gibler has bagpipes because of course got to annoy the neighbors with the loudest instrument possible. Yes, so you know, we we had we had a little nod to that episode in Fuller House when we finally saw the Gibbler House for the first time, the one and only time we saw inside the Gibbler House. They were like, let's put some Easter eggs in there. So I'm like, okay, let's have some bagpipes in the corner. They couldn't find an Ostrich, but they had like a portrait of an Ostrich and like all of those old tiny portraits of an hostage up there, there was a Unice cycle in the corner. I mean, it was just It's a great episode for fans that know Full House like the back of their hand. There's so many good little Easter eggs there.
Speaker 2: I love I love that. That was really the first time you see Kimmy's house. I didn't realize that. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: The only time we saw inside the house. We never met Kimmy's parents. Yeah, one of my biggest regrets in life is that we never met Kimmy's parents. If I could cast them myself, that my next question. She said, I would cast Martin Short as mister Gibbler and Jane Lynch as Missus Gibbler all star cast.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh my god, slam dunk, Oh my god, that'd be so good. Andrew Barber is hanging.
Speaker 1: Out with us.
Speaker 2: This is the Eismo pop culture podcast. We have so much more to get into. We have so much This is a full house over here, people, and we have We're diving into it.
Speaker 1: Stick around. We'll be back after this.
Speaker 2: It is the icemo pop culture podcast on I am all In. My name is Easton Allen. I'm here with Andrea Barber, Kimmy Gibbler on full House and we are diving into the iconic moments from full House. There are so many and the reason we're kind of talking to you today is because full House was mentioned several times.
Speaker 3: On Gilmour Girls, amazing.
Speaker 2: Gilmer Girl's famous for pop culture references that they're they're mentioned at least twice Fullhouse is mentioned. I'm honored when you are, like as an adult, when you're like just watching a movie or watching TV and like a character is watching Full House or like talks about it. How does that feel for you?
Speaker 3: It's the coolest feeling ever. It really makes me feel like I've made it in life. We know more than any award or professional recognition. If we're mentioned in some popular shows or like on Jeopardy Yes, or in the New York Times crossword puzzle, Like, I literally get so excited. It's amazing. It's amazing. I just thought, wow, because sometimes you feel like you're in a little bubble, Like I'm just in my little full House bubble. You know, it's just it's just us and our our die hard fans. But no, suddenly we're being referenced on Gilmore Girls and oh we do exist outside the full House universe. It's very flattering. It's great. It makes you. It makes you realize how universally loved full House is. If we're I mean, depending on the reference, I'm not sure what you're talking about Maybe it was a negative reference. I don't know, because the show does get made fun of a lot too. Full House is just famous for being corny and cheesy, and the critics hated it. We made the show for the fans, not for the critics. I'll just say it that way.
Speaker 2: I love that, and as a fan, I mean I love full House. I don't think it's corner cheese. I think it's it's since here. It's fun and it's comforting, like we were talking about earlier.
Speaker 3: It's it's great food.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. The reference one of them. I'm going to say this. I don't think this is a great thing to say.
Speaker 3: It's tell me, please tell me.
Speaker 2: One of the references, as Laura the mother is a they're watching full House, and then she says, I think the Olsen Twins way less now than they did on the show.
Speaker 3: Ah. Yeah, that sucks.
Speaker 1: That is not cool to say.
Speaker 2: But then there was another one, another reference where a character says, oh, they're an adorable couple, and then Alexis Plodel Rory says, adorable is what you say about full House.
Speaker 1: That's not what you say about a couple.
Speaker 3: Oh so very appropriate. Yes, that's true. Full House was adorable. Absolutely, And you know what, we take all the cheesy references like we we know, we know exactly what our brand is. We are not offended with people call us overly sacharin or you know, too sweet or cheesy. That's okay. We embrace it. We embrace the cheese. That's what we do. That's it's it calm from the nineties, that's what It's practically mandatory to be cheesy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I'll go as far to say this, you're not just us thatcom from the nineties. I would argue that full House is the sitcom from the nineties. I mean when you see like a parody of like a sitcom from the nineties, it's just full House, like they're just they'd use the font.
Speaker 3: The intro where you smile at the camera.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that is it. It's it's wild to think about, Like, if you could distill it down to one show, it's gotta be I'm saying it's full House.
Speaker 3: Oh, I agree. I happen to agree with you. No, because it had all the elements. It has the family, it has the ridiculous storylines, it has the laughs, but it has the heart and I think yes, once our producers figured out that that was the magic behind the show was those heart scenes, especially between Uncle Jesse and Michelle. That's what made the show magic, you know, That's what people really responded to, are those heart moments and the relationships between you know, the dads and the girls, or the uncles and the nieces. That's it's all about the relationships, and people respond to that type of chemistry, just like on Gilmore Girls too, you know, they're responding to the chemistry between the mother daughter. People get get invested, you know, their hearts get invested in these characters too, and we care about these characters. We want to know what happened to them, where did they go, what are they doing now? You don't get them shows these days because no networks and streamers, they don't give the show time to develop or breathe. You know. It's like if you don't hit the ground running after the pilot episode, you don't get the numbers, you're canceled. And it's like, but people want to invest their emotions into these characters. You want to get attached to them, and that's why people are so attached to characters and shows from the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so curious, like when you Okay, sorry, I have a couple questions here about when when you started Full House, Like first first started film, how did that work? Did you film like the first ten episodes? Like like what was the schedule? And then it's versus when it started airing? How did that work?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, there was about a three week delay. Okay, very different because you know with streamers and now you shoot the whole season. Yeah, so you don't get any feedback before you've already like, okay, well we've released it into the air. Let's see how people respond. But no, in nineteen eighty seven, when Full House started on ABC, yeah, we would tape about three weeks before we would air that particular episode, so we were probably three or four episodes in by the time it started airing. The first season kind of bombed, Like I told you, the critics hated it. It took until season two to really find our footing and get people to pay attention. And the critics still didn't like us, but at least the bands did. So yeah, I think that's helpful though. It's helpful, and maybe that's a key to our success too, because had we just taped the whole first season before releasing it. We might not have got it. Might have been House of Comics, you know, it might just this raunchy bachelor pad type of story where the kids are just kind of afterthoughts. But it was the audience reaction that made our producers stop and listen and say, hey, you know what, it's really about the kids. I mean, it's about the adults in the kid It's about the family. It's just about the family unit. It's not just the guys being bumbly idiots not knowing how to change a diaper. It's about their love for the family and this loving, these loving relationships. So thank goodness, thank goodness for ABC and for network TV. Back in nineteen eighty seven, we had that type of release schedule so much.
Speaker 1: I'm so surprised. I'm surprised it's that fast of a turnaround.
Speaker 2: Honestly, Like I just assumed everything was made like, oh, you make the whole season and then and then if there's like an audience reaction to someone like it's going to take like at least a season to correct that. But like you could, Yeah, I mean you're getting feedback and you're still making that first season that's pretty that's awesome.
Speaker 3: It's unheard of now, so yeah, I'm not surprised you're surprised because yeah, they don't do it like that anymore. But there were definite advantages to that, and God bless our editor for being able to that. Turnaround time was very quick.
Speaker 2: And this guy's working with like tape and you know, like the stuff like like you don't have computers like you do.
Speaker 1: Now that's incredible.
Speaker 3: Oh, totally.
Speaker 2: Something else we love about Kimmy Gibbler the wardrobe. I mean it's the wardrobe is incredible. Every outfit she's in is something that I want to wear.
Speaker 3: Now amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm curious what was the like, what was the process like for developing her like clothing style? Did you have any input on that? What did you think when they showed you some of those outfits?
Speaker 3: Oh? I hated it. Yeah, this was the dark spot in my childhood. Oh no, well no, no, I'm exaggerating. I did, but I did hate the wardrobe. Like you know, Candace and Jodie were wearing these cute outfits and I was I was like, it looks like I'm wearing underwear on the outside of my pants, Like this looks ridiculous. And you know, Jody and I just interviewed one of our uh, one of our former executive producers from the show, Dennis Rinstler, and he told me their process for picking out Kimmy Gibbler's outfits. They would do these rack checks, you know, before we would tape anything, and so the wardrobe department would give them several options of what Kimmy could wear this week, and Dennis Rinstler said, whatever was the worst looking outfit, whatever was the most horrifying, that's the one they would pick. And I'm like, oh no, but he apologized. He's like, I felt bad because you were a teenage girl and you probably didn't want to wear those, and I'm like, no, I didn't. And I probably could have spoken up and said, hey, guys, you know, I'm not really comfortable with this, but I was a very shy teenager, not like Kimmy Gibbler at all, and so I just was like, I want to be a team player. I'm not gonna make waves. I'm just gonna wear this and grin and bear it. And most of the time the outfits were fine. There was only a couple occasions where I'm like I'm not comfortable in this, but I did wish that I could just wear the cute outfits because at the end of the season, the wardrobe people were like, you can take home anything you want, and Candice and Jodie would be taking home like armloads of clothes and I was like, yeah, I'm good, I'm good. I'm just going to go home. Thanks, that's okay. I appreciated it. In Fuller House. I feel like this was the Kimmy Gibbler's redemption because then she had quirky clothing, but it was cool. It was like almost like a Carrie Bradshaw type of it was a little eccentric, but it was fashionable. And that's I loved the Fuller House Kimmy Gibbler wardrobe. That was Chef's kiss. Loved it ten ten, no notes, loved it.
Speaker 1: It was some great outfits in Fuller House.
Speaker 2: And the other thing I wanted to bring up about Kimmy that I really really admire is that she's Kimmy is weird, like she is a weird kid, but she's so confident and she just embraces who she is. And that's something when I watch those scenes back, I'm just like what a great role model, especially for kids watching this show, to be like, you can be weird, you can be bizarre and out there and people are going to love you. If you just have to love yourself and be confident in who you are, there's nothing wrong with you. And I just think I think embracing weirdness is one of the greatest things we can do as humans. And all our favorite every great artist is a weird person, and that includes Kimmy Gibler, and I just admire that so much, and I think that's such an incredible role to play on TV for kids to see. So I wanted to thank you for bringing that to life because it's amazing.
Speaker 3: That means so much. Thank you for saying that. It took me a really long time to even recognize that. It took me until well, probably until the almost the Fuller House days, So it took me until I was in my late thirties, and fans would come up to me and say that thank you for teaching me that it's okay to be weird. So suddenly, like all the kids that felt like outcasts in high school, they would come out if the would work and be like, thank you for teaching me that it's okay to be different and it's okay to you know, march to the beat of your own drum. And I'm like, yeah, you know what, Kimmy, I never would have said this as a teenager. Kimmy Gibbler is a role model, but she really is. She teaches you about self love and confidence and just embracing all of your quirks and yeah, it's just about being confident. I thought, yeah, you know what, we could all use a little bit of Kimmy Gibbler inside of us. And she's even taught me some things about just embrace yourself, embrace the things that make you different, because that is your superpower. And so it's a great lesson, such a feel good lesson. I love it. I love this character so much.
Speaker 1: Oh well, we love her too.
Speaker 2: The Full House we're talking about how Full House is like the nineties sitcom that includes the theme song.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a theme song. It's so good.
Speaker 2: I'm just you can be completely honest here, how sick of it are you at this point?
Speaker 1: You're not?
Speaker 3: Not? No, It's like you'd think I would be. Yeah, No, it's just it's catchy, it's iconic. I mean, I don't listen to it every day. I think that helps too. Yeah, but even the cast, when we're hanging out and somebody says something cheesy, we'll break out of a da da da da da. You know, we just be kind of poke fun at it because it's so silly. It's like, oh yeah, let's end every lunch with a hug and a sappy songs. It's funny. So no, I don't. I'm not sick of it, not yet. But if I had to listen to it every day, I might give you a different answer.
Speaker 2: Andrea Barber's with us. This is I Smell Pop Culture on the iml in podcast.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. These are some great commercials coming up.
Speaker 2: Everybody, It's I Smell Pop Culture.
Speaker 1: My name is Easton Allen.
Speaker 2: In case you're just joining us, you know, I like when people just download a podcast and then hop in thirty minutes in. That's something that is probably is a very fun thing to do, just like you're tuning in on the radio. And if you're doing that right now. Andrew Barber's with us.
Speaker 3: You play on Full House well a fan?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna get into your podcast here in a second. But I I have some very selfish questions to ask about Full House.
Speaker 3: Great, yeah, hit me with them.
Speaker 2: I am just a massive Beach Boys fan, like like massive, and I rewatched they were on like two or three episodes of Full House and I rewatched it recently and I watch Actually, there's there's one where the Tanner family joins them on stage.
Speaker 1: I think there. I can't remember where they were.
Speaker 3: I think we're playing a USC they were Colisseum. Yes, there was a USC game going on and so we were saved. Why not let's have a beach Boy concert and throw the Tanners up there. Well, it's just a random Friday night, you know, casu right.
Speaker 1: As you do.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I watched it hoping. I was like, wait, was Kimmy there?
Speaker 3: Jimmy was not.
Speaker 2: There, just the Tanner family and made me so sad. But uh, like were you when they did those Beach Boys episodes? Were you around it all?
Speaker 1: Like? Like how did that? What were those like shoot days?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I was in. I remember being on the in the living room set with them, So I'm sure I was in at least one of the episodes with them. And it's always exciting, you know, there's a little like hush hush, you know, whisper of excitement on the set when they when they come around, and they were like, they're John Samuis's friend, Like they're really close.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's a beach boy now you know, Yeah he is.
Speaker 3: He tours with them and he plays the drums like they're they've been close for decades. But it was still all very exciting for the rest of us, you know, to have them on the show, and it was it's great. They're they're good team players, and they're good sports and they don't mind laughing at themselves. It's so funny to have musicians on the show. Yeah, because like they get really like they're so like they're so talented and they're so outgoing, except when it comes to scripts and memorizing lines, like suddenly they like clam up. It's like, no, you can do this. It's like it's performing, just like you're on stage at a concert. You're performing. You just have words to say instead of lyrics to sing. So yeah, they always would get a little bit nervous about that, but that's okay. It's not a live show. Yes, the beauty of taping multicam is that you you get to mess up, and you can do it all over again. So once they realized that, you know, the pressure was off a little bit. But it was always exciting having them around. It was a big boost for all of us on the stage, and for sure all of the fans too. They loved it. It's iconic, it really is.
Speaker 2: So I read that you have done over twenty six half marathons.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, right, that sounds about right. I've lost count such a runner I was. I was past tense, I was a runner. I haven't run in several years, but yeah, in my there was a solid ten year stretch there where I yeah, I did probably close to thirty half marathons. For full marathons, Wow, in a handful of ten k's and five k's, it was. I loved it. Yeah, what was wrong with me? My knees? That's what's wrong with me? Now? Yeah, that was fun. That was a great time.
Speaker 1: What really quick?
Speaker 2: What advice do you have if someone wants to get into running marathon? Marathons are I mean it's twenty six miles, that's a that's a that's a big I've only done half marathons.
Speaker 1: Personally, I'm too afraid of the twenty six.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a totally different ballgame. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like, how do you When I've done the half marathons, I have finished, and I always think to myself, if I was doing the full, i'd be halfway through.
Speaker 1: This is nuts.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've given everything at this point totally. So much of it is mental. What do you like? Is there something you like a mantrae you repeat to yourself for like what's going on in your head when you are halfway through or a third of way through and you're starting to feel like, oh God, like I have to do this much more like what goes on mentally for you during that?
Speaker 3: Yeah. The best advice I have is advice that I heard or read from other runners, professional runners, or otherwise, is just to run the mile that you're in. So when you're on mile one, don't be thinking about mile thirteen. You really and that's a great lesson for life to just focus on what's at hand. Don't be worrying about what's to come two hours from now or next week or whatever. Just focus on the mile that you're in. So I would I would do that. Mile one always feels great, Mile two not so much. But you just ride those waves and I'm like, okay, I'm at mile six now. Now it's starting to hurt. But that's what's supposed to happen. So that's what always happens. I'm just gonna push through or maybe take a walk break or you know, have some those little running those gels that's energy gels that you take. You know, it's you just you learn to listen to your body. But just don't get ahead of yourself. You gotta just run the mile that you're in. It's the best I that's the best I advice I have. And also just you get used to pain, like that's what running is. It's just being comfortable with pain or just being comfortable getting with getting uncomfortable. You develop a lot of tolerance for pain when you are a runner. So again, excellent model for life. You just stick with it. Eventually the pain will end and you'll be stronger at the end of it because of it. So yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: I've never heard that run the mile that your and that's that's really great advice, like you said, for life and for get out there on the streets. You have your own podcasts are Rude Tanner Ritas where you recapp in Full House, you're hosting it with Jodie Sweeten, who played Stephanie Tanner.
Speaker 1: Has that been a fun experience for you?
Speaker 3: Oh, my gosh, we're having a blast. I mean just Jody and I hanging out. We always have fun. We always make it funny, and the show is very much just like two girlfriends chatting over coffee. That's literally what we do every week. We get our coffee and then we chat and they're like, oh, yeah, we have to recap an episode as well, but we're very real. It's just us. We're unhinged a lot of the time. There's lots of non sequitursins that we go off on. But it's been great. We've developed this huge appreciation for Full House that we never really had because we didn't watch the show growing up. We were working, we were taping on Friday nights, so we weren't and this is again before the age of streaming, so you either have to record the episode on your VCR back in the day or you missed it. You miss it, it's all done. Maybe catch it in a rerun months from now. But that was it, so we were always too busy being on the show. To actually watch the show. So Jody and I are having a blast again. We make fun of each other in our hairstyles and our wardrobe. But this show still holds up. Like after we watched the pilot episode, I was like, this might be the best pilot in the history of sitcoms because it still holds up. There's so much heart. You know exactly who these characters are from the very first scene. They're very well defined. You know, Uncle Jesse is the honk, Joey's the funny guy with all the voices, Danny Tanner is the clean freak. They're just very well defined. There's funny moments, there's heartfelt moments. I think I even cried at one point. It's got it all. Appreciate the show like a fan does. It's great. It's also I think funny for our fans that are listening to Howard Tanner Rito's because they know what's They know the show way better than we do, so they know what's coming up. So Jody and I will be like, oh, I wonder, why don't they just do this or why don't they do that, And the fans like, just wait, it's coming.
Speaker 1: They know it.
Speaker 3: They're so they're so excited about it. So it's been great to get to watch it through new eyes basically, which sounds weird because we were on the show, But there's a lot that we don't remember or we need, you know, reminding of, So this has been a great way to just jog those memories, relive the good times, cringe at the bad times and the bad fashion, and overall just develop a great appreciation for what we put together all those years ago.
Speaker 1: That is awesome. That makes me so happy again. That's how Rude Tanner Ritos is an iHeartRadio podcast. You can get it wherever you listen to podcasts. Andrea, thank you so much for doing this. This has been so much fun. You're the coolest person in the world.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, thank you so much. You're You're awesome. I am just thrilled. This was such a fun conversation. I loved it. I love talking about the nineties. I love talking about nineties TV. This is one of my favorite topics. So anytime you want to chat nineties, you give me a call.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Thank you again, have a great day.
Speaker 3: Thanks boss.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, and don't figure follow us on Instagram at IM I'm All In Podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.