Speaker 1: But all right, job.
Speaker 2: All across the USC Compton, Watts Bay to LA come on to California day from Owy the Valley.
Speaker 1: We represent that Keller County.
Speaker 2: So if you're keeping it real on your side of your town, you tune into Gainst the Chronicles coronic goals.
Speaker 1: We gonna tell you how are we goals?
Speaker 3: If I lie my notes will girl like Pinocchio.
Speaker 4: We're gonna tell you the truth and nothing but the choosangs.
Speaker 1: The chronic goals.
Speaker 4: This is not your average shows.
Speaker 2: You're now tuned into the rail mc ain't, Big Change and Big Steals the streets.
Speaker 3: Hello, Welcome to the gangst the Chronicles podcast, the production of iHeartRadio and Black Effect Podcast Network. Make sure you download the iHeart app and subscribe to Against the Chronicles. For my Apple users, hit the Purple Michael on your front screen. Subscribed to Against the Chronicles, leave a start rating the comments. We like to welcome every one to another episode. You know what, fuck all that shit Tonight it's gonna be a little different. I got you, I got you.
Speaker 5: I would like to welcome all of y'all to another episode of The Gangster Rap Chronicles.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 5: Host Glasses Malone and my co host for the day, Norm Steal, co hosts co host. I am hosting Gangster Chronicles today, the Gangster Rap Chronicles, and I would like to talk to you Norm Steal about the top ten gangster rap records.
Speaker 1: Ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, as you can tell, we're not doing the show at our normal place tonight. My man eight had some stuff he had to deal with.
Speaker 1: So COVID, So I don't want to be in the same room with Steve.
Speaker 3: No, don't nobody got COVID. Bro only starting the rumors. Don't start the COVID rub don't start no COVID RUMs.
Speaker 5: I ain't talking to you. So it's a couple of things. We might as well cover this stuff on this podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what broke and I think so aren't even agreed to it to an extent. See his number one gainst the rap album of all time is ice Cube album Death Certificate, which is a great album. But I'm not mad at that man, but doggy style that fair. And he even said this is the only album that he's ever heard played at parties universally. That means white parties, black parties, Mexican parties, everywhere, and that album still exams today thirty years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was listening to Lottie Dotty the other day.
Speaker 3: It's a cold record. Man, Snoop just got you know what I think it is about that album? Man, it was something that you've never heard before. I don't think anybody heard anything like that before. It's almost like when Bone Thugs and Harmony came out with the album, you had never heard nothing like that previous to it.
Speaker 1: That's a lot closer to something I never heard. You know. It was funny. I had this crazy epiphany. I'm gonna share it with you.
Speaker 5: Like, as I started learning about records and hip hop and all this stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean you we talked all the time. During that time. I start figuring out how things, how.
Speaker 5: People and producers put together like ideas, Like I was able.
Speaker 1: To hear like nobody told me, But I was able to hear.
Speaker 5: When I start hearing Thriller, I could finally hear Rick James, I could hear give it to me Baby.
Speaker 1: When I first heard it, nobody told me. They said, oh, look glasses.
Speaker 5: This baseline on Thriller was interpolated from Rick James, Give it to me baby. Nobody had to tell me I could just hear it now. I could hear Billy Jean and hear Hauler notes. I can hear don't stop to you get enough, you know what I mean, and hear that came from Marvin Gaye, Got to give it Up. I could hear beat It and hear you know the song that inspired that, my Sharona m Right, So I could see what they were doing. I think even when I listen to Doggy Style, right, because the chronic to me is when Drake put his foot in the water in that kind of danceable funk right with songs like fuck with dreda g than even Let Me Ride was a little bit more funkier than where Dre had been at that time, you know what I mean. And he still had a really good, healthy amount of breakbeats in there on some of those songs on the chronic, But by the time he got the Doggy Style, he was like submerged in the shit. He was like, y'all, g funk this motherfucker out this my fucker finn to be the funkiest hip hop record on the market. But now when I hear it with my ears, you know, when I hear those songs even all of the doggy style songs and the chronic song you know what here you know what song?
Speaker 3: I hear?
Speaker 1: What's that DJ quick tonight?
Speaker 3: You know what? I believe that, bro. And you have to look at something else that was going on at that time too. You remember, Warren and Snoop had been kind of like in boot camp with Cole one, Eddy Seven, Hutch and all of them guys over Above the Law, and you know, it was two things that kind of just coincided together. Those guys. You know, Snoop lines up over there with Drake, right, you know, and here comes Warren g They have been their understudies kind of. And Drake just got finished working with them brothers on the last n WA album, the Niggas for Life album, Right, So I think, man, he just took what they was doing to another level. And that's not no knocks against Above the Law because Above the Law some funky motherfuckers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think Above the Law had shout out to Hutch. Above the Law had more of a harder funk. It is a danceable funk.
Speaker 3: It was more you know, you gotta remember, I think those guys are related to wasn't they related to Ike Turner Man I related to the other, to Willie Huts, will Dull, you know Willie Huts.
Speaker 5: So they had like a more pure funk. It was more well, I don't want to say if it was pure. I think it just wasn't a danceable funk. And I think that's why I keep saying. Even before Above the Law, DJ Quick in eighty eight with Born and Raised and Tonight the Clear, the Climax sample, Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know what dre Man Quick does.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of work Quick.
Speaker 3: It's done a lot of work for Drake. You know when you listen to some of fifty cent songs, like it can't be done and all that just the way the piano and you know what's crazy. Man. Before I even knew officially that Quick had worked on the fifty cent songs, I could hear just from being in the studio with tone and sugar freaking all of them. It's a certain swing that he got to his drums, man, and it's a certain everything Quick do is live like even when he resamples it, it's like some live ship. He would have a motherfucker come over there and play like a classic piano. Yeah, and he would sample that shit like Quick Doom sample ship hardly from records. Man, everything he does is replayed, and I could hear certain things on there, like even in the club, the way those if you're listening to the club, the way the drum swing, the way to pump, it almost sounded like his clubs don't have no quantize.
Speaker 5: On like everything is Definitely, I definitely believe Dre and Quick definitely are the type to get away from quantizing.
Speaker 3: For sure, because you can't quantize a real drum. Like when you on stage and hear those drummers, Man, they don't have a quantized thing on it. They just up to the exam.
Speaker 5: Somebody taught me something really early and I did it would cancel these nuts where like I put the kicks and the snare, they're not all the same volume and most people can't hear that.
Speaker 1: But if you really go back and listen to cancel these nuts.
Speaker 5: I staggered a lot of them in pay and a lot of them just a little bit, so when they play, they almost play like they could be real. But that's not the point. I don't want to get too far away from what we were saying, right. I think if you go back to nineteen eighty eight, right, which is before above the law, right when Quick first came out, Right, Quick Quick records the red tape the streets and with eighty eight.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, eighty eight, eighty eight, seven eighty eight.
Speaker 5: Right, listen to Tonight and listen to Born and Raised. That style of production.
Speaker 1: Became the way we hear G funk.
Speaker 5: Now, not the title I think Hudgs for sure comp you know, Hudge for sure.
Speaker 1: Coined that title.
Speaker 5: G Funk, But the sound is very much DJ Quick, Tonight and Born and Raised.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, I can see that man, And you know what, going back to Quick a little bit, I think he gets slept on a lot of times, man, A lot that is his fault. You know, Quick say he underestimate you know, people underestimate him. He didn't get the props he deserved. And he's probably right to a certain degree, but a lot of that is his fault.
Speaker 1: Well, Quick is all Rick.
Speaker 5: James Quickly are Rick James like like Prince and Michael Jackson probably owe a huge part of their success in.
Speaker 1: The eighties to Rick James.
Speaker 5: Solely Rick James, even the whole androdgingist feel as I studied and did my homework. Rick James seems like he's the first androdging, this urban figure that was like a big deal in the eighties.
Speaker 3: I mean, and that just sounds so funny calling Ricky and friction because he was the most. He was the nigger is of the most niggas.
Speaker 5: Sure, but but if you look at how he dressed and how he can't you know what's crazy? I agree, But that's like when Cameron was wearing a pink when I was coming up right in my end. You never thought for two seconds Cam was taking no dick.
Speaker 1: You just like they can.
Speaker 5: Wow, this nigga fashion is off the hook. This nigga got enough swagger to me. That's what I got from Rick James versus Prince where Prince came across. I remember being a little kid thinking like, man, it's Prince gay, you know what I mean. I don't know how y'all felt, because that's kind of y'all are coming into y'all teen years closely roughly for y'all, y'all was starting to come close to being in your ten years, and.
Speaker 3: We was definitely in our teen years. Like Rick James for me is like kind of like toward the end of elementary going up to junior high and he kind of shit, man, even surpass that, man, you got to think about it. Dog. I met Prince one night. I didn't meet him. I saw him at the ground. He had a club downtown LA called the Grand Slam.
Speaker 1: That changed it to the three three three yep, And it.
Speaker 3: Was like three different levels on this it was off the hook club Dog because it had like a like a pop kind of like dancefield floor. Then it had a reggae floor, and then they had like a hardcore hip hop floor. Right. And I was going up the stairs to the hip hop floor and I saw Prince coming down the stairs. He was with a bunch of girls. And when I take these women look like angels.
Speaker 1: G.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, just like it was like he was surrounded by angels all for sure. Yeah, it was like he was surrounded by angels. And he's just the most gorgeous woman. And when I tell you that, this nigga had on like a suit like he was counting Dracula or something. Dog And it didn't seem like this nigga touched the stairs almost like he just glided down the stairs ula. Yeah, and he was just like what's up everybody? Like he just passed me and my homeboys and we stood to the side. He was like, damn, that's Prince right there, and this motherfucker like it was floating with a bunch of women around him. Dog, and it was just like he had a big ass glass in his hand.
Speaker 5: And it was always what's crazy to me is for as weird and as assless chaps, he still always seemed like a nigga.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah he is STUDI And I heard Prince had hands.
Speaker 5: I probably got probably fire somebody the way Charlie Murphy talking about because of that.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he had hands because he was way too to not have hands.
Speaker 3: Didn't homeboy admit, didn't Charlie admit that Prince put hands on one night? No?
Speaker 1: No, he beat him in basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I heard Prince saying hens. It is just like Usher is a fighting motherfucker. It's just something like they're all in.
Speaker 5: Georgian and they shout out to them Atlanta, Georgia and them niggas gonna fight your motherfucker. Now, they'll fight you. The motherfucker gonna have some hands t last, probably can fight a little bit.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what were we going back to that man, I gotta talk about this this way off subject and Marca go laugh, you know. Shout out to the homeboy Maca where we recorded at the Coin Academy. They got Friday night fades, right, and they got a boxing coach man that's really good called they called him the Sensey, right. He been training these young brothers out here, and they've been going around the country whooping ass. California just caught their first l Guess where they was at. Somewhere in the midwell, they was in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, let.
Speaker 5: Atlanta niggas can fight. I'm telling you Avanda holy Field from Atlanta.
Speaker 3: The yeah, you know, I can see it in I'm on country ass niggas well, you know, all of main country because I forgot this.
Speaker 1: Atlanta ain't Atlanta. Ain't that country.
Speaker 5: Atlanta country. It got Southern roots. But they's some city niggas, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And I'm getting and I'm getting out of that man calling our brothers pastor you know, in the South country niggas, they don't like that.
Speaker 1: That's Texas niggas.
Speaker 3: Love.
Speaker 1: Shout out to all my texts.
Speaker 5: I love being called country because Texas is really the country Oklahoma, really the country.
Speaker 1: Atlanta is city is Atlanta is like l A.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can see catch in Atlanta, Atlanta groyn E than the motherfucker dog.
Speaker 1: And it got bad.
Speaker 5: It used to be such a man I've been the first time I went to Atlanta and I seen black police officers and I remember I was with Dazz. Dash had picked me up from the airport, right, So I'm riding with Dash to his house. Shout out the DZ and we riding and ship and it's me, him and somebody and I'm looking at the police.
Speaker 1: He like you this, this, this ain't la. You ain't got to worry about them.
Speaker 5: And I just kept on looking at this black police he's next to us, and that nigga looked over the fuck you looking at that nigga.
Speaker 1: And drove off in his police car.
Speaker 5: And I remember thinking to myself, like, I'm home because I'm home, you know what.
Speaker 3: And ge that's one of the reasons why I love Atlanta. But back to Prince though, Dog, I just think, man, you gotta remember Prince and them. Man probably was influenced more than anything else about little Richard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's dope. He from Atlanta too, you.
Speaker 3: Feel what I'm saying. The Georgia too, I would assume dog because if you looked at all the brothers back in the fifties and sixties, they wore makeup, had their hair back in a little you know, boo fine or whatever like that, had to relax and shit in their hair. So I think that a whole little drogness look man, But Rick got it off. Rick almost looked like somebody was making him do that shit though he just had it.
Speaker 5: He still had a masklin. Don't get me wrong. When Prince opened up, you could tell Prince was a nigga.
Speaker 1: But his fear was super soft.
Speaker 5: For Rick, You've been wearing all that shit, still look like a nigga wearing all that shit, like this nigga crazy, Like Prince gave you like maybe he's gay. Till he started talking. Rick was like this nigga just crazy. Michael Jackson seemed like when Michael Jackson did it was like little kid. When Prince did it, it was like its nigga kind of different.
Speaker 1: Rick, did it? You like this nigga crazy?
Speaker 5: Even the way if you think I Rick sang songs and shit like Rick saying that fucking ballad, but that's to me, that's quick, Like.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'll DM quick.
Speaker 5: Just a crazy thought like that I had about hip hop, and I'm like, yo, like tonight, like you was listening to to Uh Like I was just like you was listening to Too Short. Don't fight the feeling. He'd just laugh like he'll just send me laugh at the mosies like you're over there studying and I know I be on it, you know what I'm saying, even talking to Too Short, Like what made did you even go to that danceable funk at that time?
Speaker 3: Too Short? It's just like the epictone of funk though when you just listened to his albums man like I was thinking about that, man like. I think one of my hardest beats, one of my favorite beats of all time is the Dope Thien beat. Just his baselines, Too Short always had really crazy ass baselines, Dog, and I think that's because he comes from an area you gotta remember, Dog. I was listening to him one day, man, and you know what, I got to give his props from the interview he did with Too Short, because it just took you way back, you know how he just got his start and everything. So when Too Short signed to his first record label. They didn't really have hip hop producers back then. He had a band of you know, brothers from over. He had a four piece band, so he kind of had to coach them on what he wanted to wrap over. So he had this live feel that wound up staying with him the majority of his career. And if you look at it, Dog, all the Short albums that are so major units that would either platum or go all featured, all were steeped in live production. Yeah that's true, but they had a real hip hop feel. His drums always, he always had that eight o eight dog with live and just live instrumentation, bro, and it was just really really funky. I would love to see just Short and Banks get down one more time, Dog, I would love to hear that.
Speaker 5: I don't know, why is it one more time I get upset thinking about not getting another juvenile many Fresh album or tumping TI album, or you know, like when your favorite artists got with your favorite producer and then that sound to find who they were, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I missed that.
Speaker 5: And I always say, nobody told these niggas to change. You know, these niggas felt that they needed to grow up, and you know I missed him. He slipped that blues funk. You know, that blues funk is what it was, so cinematic. It's like when you first heard motherfucking you know, growing up in a hood like that Clear Patricks thing. Like how they flipped that, And that's what made Compton's most wanted shit different. Quick shit was all super disco funk. You mean, it was always hella danceable. Like I remember going to parties as a little kid, like in the fifth grade and then playing Quick like that day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, Quick as a genius, man, And seeing that dude in the studio, man work on them boards, man, and how he was just I remember sitting up there watching them. Man. I think we might have been in passive feet man, and I was just watching him play with this one snare dog and it sounded perfect to me, you know, especially at that time because I'm with nowhere where I'm at right now, you know, as far as music and production and stuff. I just sat up there and the cold thing about him he had took the snare from I forget which record it was from, but he took a snare from a record and he was just in there, fine tuning and putting his own thing on it. And he was so meticulous with the glasses to where it was just like, man, this.
Speaker 1: Snare, why'd you fucking with this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But it was It's just like he was a scientist almost. But then you didn't hear what he did to it until you until he put the rest of the stuff around it, and it was just like, man, I see what he meant now. That snare is just like a centerpiece of that whole thing right.
Speaker 5: Now, carving it out, yeah, quick quick as one of the you know what, I never got a chance just to switch gears. Why do you think Gangster Is Paradise didn't get the credit they deserved?
Speaker 3: Man, I can't. We can't say that though it was the number one album, it was the number.
Speaker 1: One not not not success.
Speaker 5: Right, But if you really think about it, gangst His Paradise could be the great this gangster rap song ever.
Speaker 3: It may be Dog and I think what it is bro. I think in hip hop in.
Speaker 1: General, that's something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when something succeeds Dog, it's almost looked at us like, especially during that time period, I would say, like, you gotta remember mc henry was one of the most successful rappers ever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but his shit started at the top, not not him, but like, you can't test this. It was gonna start everywhere at once, but cause it was that it. Don't get me wrong, I think that's a great record, but it was gonna start at the top. But a song like Gangster's Paradise, even just from a lyrical like to me, Like I text Ice T and I was like, this is colors but just in ninety five or ninety six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you knew that was LV song, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: LV told me it was his song.
Speaker 5: It was his, and he said he wanted somebody else to rap on it, and they told him he should get Coolier to rap on it, and he ended up coolly ended up putting a couple verses on song.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, And what happened is the record company Coolio's album was about to come out, and they said, this would be a good record for him. We're giving it to him. Can you imagine that, dog? You got a surefire smash. But this is the way stuff usually works. If they were to game with the LV, maybe it wouldn't have been as big as a record.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, sure, And plus I don't know if they want.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you want LV that record to be LV if Coolio got two verses, so it does change the dynamic of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know what, though, Bro and I would say this as a whole dog Coolio was probably one of the more underrated rappers. Coolio was actually a really good rapper. Dog.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but even when you listen to the lyrics of that song, like he described gang banging as articulate, probably the most articulate you ever heard it, Like the whole situation of being a gang member, like Gangster's Paradise defines it better than any record I've actually ever heard. Like it's almost, like I said, it's an evolved version.
Speaker 1: Of Colors, Like Colors is eighty eight.
Speaker 5: I mean, this song is in ninety five, and it takes it up a notch from where Ice Tea started explaining Ice Tea to me gave a Minu was in eighty eight, So it's kind of the first time you heard a gangster's perspective. Like, don't get me wrong, you can you can go back to all that rappers, rap disco company stuff where like bad Time shout out to Jimmy jam and Terry Lewis because they was making West Coast bangers long before the scene was developed. You know in eighty two eighty three songs like bad Times right by who did Bad Times?
Speaker 3: Bad Time?
Speaker 1: Fuck?
Speaker 3: Who did do bad.
Speaker 1: That Captain rapper?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that might have been Captain Ramp. I know, I didn't want to get away from Gangster's periodise because the one thing that's funny about hip hop dog is I think every rapper at one time wanted the sample at Stevie won the record, but didn't know how to Coolio did it to cool them came with.
Speaker 1: It, I swear to this day.
Speaker 5: I mean, I want to sample of a Stevie wonder song so bad, but like his songs the way because he played dog and he played his ship got so many like mild changes, you know what I mean, mild changes where you be like you can't keep up, you can't play, like like think about like shed so many tears. Right, that's from a cool I mean, that's from a Stevie Wonders song.
Speaker 1: Dude, dude, you.
Speaker 5: Know that's harmonica and it's like that's a top tier artist to try to fuck with his records because he just nasty.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was, and so that that goes back to the genius of Gangster's Paradise because from the way they put the record together, I think everybody wanted them, the way those filings was and the way that.
Speaker 1: Horn was in there with them.
Speaker 3: What's the past?
Speaker 5: Nasty LV shout out to elcause, Hey, I know you be listening to this ship, Bigga, that's crazy that that's.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you were Doug and did that, but that's crazy.
Speaker 3: That was slipping who produced that record, Doug, Doug Rashid is a bad motherfucker dog yea to me.
Speaker 5: To me, didn't be the motherfuckers that pull that ship out, you know what I mean? That just somebody who That's like the niggas who did Rest in Peace to a c Night, but like the dudes who did uh Summertime in the LBC. Them dudes just fucking incredible.
Speaker 3: That beat.
Speaker 1: It's just the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I want to speak on that a little bit, man. You know, we lost a hip hop legend, man, and I don't throw that word around Lucy legend, but he was a lection in the city. Yeah, you know, when it comes to the city alone beating all they've done and hip hop dog man Rest in Peace Man. That's real saying. You know that was the homie man Ce Night Man. What's crazy cause I know Big C Night though, so he was Little s Night. Yeah, so he was Little Sea Night. Yep, I know Big C. Night. That's the homy dog Man.
Speaker 5: That motherfucking song is so classic. Like in the West Coast, that shit come on. It's funny because soon as that song come on, every don't get me wrong, everybody from the West Coast party to Summertime in LBC.
Speaker 1: But boy, it's a pride. There's two songs out.
Speaker 5: Of Loan Beach, My Nigga, that the Man, the greatest Long Beach Pride ever. Those two songs right are Summertime in LBC, and I love it.
Speaker 1: Because everybody from the West Coast is gonna jump up when those two songs come on.
Speaker 5: But a long Beach nigga is gonna be eyes closed, hands up, sets waving, going crazy, and you could always see who from Loan Beach.
Speaker 1: We had a really dope conversation about who was more, who was more? It wasn't.
Speaker 5: I think it was impactful because it wasn't who was more influential.
Speaker 1: It was more impactful.
Speaker 5: Lone Beach as a scene on hip hop or Compton, And it was so funny going back and forth, right because it was like, you know, you don't get the coast without n w A right, but then do you get the the infamy without Snoop?
Speaker 3: You know what? Man? If I had to compare to two places, Man, it's almost like comparing queens in Brooklyn when you talk about the East Coast, if you talked about the West Coast, Man Watts would be like.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 5: Right, I'm gonna tell you why to watches Brownsville because Watts is a neighborhood in Los Angeles, you know what I mean? Like like like Brownsville is a neighborhood in Brooklyn. It's just a rough his neighborhood in Brooklyn. Whighbor Huh.
Speaker 3: It's almost you almost want to call it a subdivision of Compton, though almost.
Speaker 5: Well, the Hub and the Dub is a really but Compton is its own city. Compton has a mayor, a court system of jail. Watts is a part of Los Angeles. Like all our addresses read Los Angeles nine double five nine or Los Angeles non triple o two. So you know, it's like Brownsville. I've had this start a million times. If Watts was, it'll be like if Los Angeles would be Brooklyn, Queens would probably be Compton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would probably be Compton. What would Long Beach speak?
Speaker 1: See, Long Beach is probably stat nian.
Speaker 3: You know whatse Long Beach is the nicest ghetto city ever done.
Speaker 5: Well, I get what you're saying. I always used to tease my Long Beach homies. It's the only place in the world where you can be poor as a motherfucker. It's the only city in Los Angeles, Like that's like, that's like a.
Speaker 1: City, like, you know, one of them small cities that.
Speaker 5: You could be poor as a motherfucker living there or rich as a motherfuck. You could be as poor as a motherfuck on the east on the west, because the West is hella poor, nobody talking, you know.
Speaker 3: I can see the Long Beach is my home dog. When I first came to California as a keyd dog, that's where I lived and that's where I've always been. I've never strayed too far away from Long Beach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you're from this side of the one ten. But east west Long Beach, East West Long Beach north. It's kind of north. It got gentrified at this point. But it's crazy because you could be poor as a motherfucker live in Long Beach, but then you got the golf course over there in the rigs right, you got bel my shoulders. Or you can live on the hill, you know, Signal Hill, you know. Or you can live really to me, which is truly the eastiest part of Long Beach, where you by the town center where all of them houses is. Is they not hella expensive, but it's definitely like all the people who go to Milliken, you know what I mean, and them people live like a suburban middle class experience. And I always always said if I was from Long Beach, it'd be a place I'd never leave, because you could be in Long Beach, hell.
Speaker 1: Of poor, right and live over there.
Speaker 5: You know, off of Long Beach Boulevard over there with the Poyo Loco and the McDonald's on them little.
Speaker 1: Backstreets east, poor as a motherfucker, live right there.
Speaker 5: Apartment you know, so many bros I know got apartment for three hundred and fifty dollars, they first apartment in the nineties, three hundred and fifty dollars for a one bedroom, or you could be that poor in Long Beach, or you can go to the bel My Shores where they have their motherfucking houses, or or Seal Beach, because we all consider Seal Beach a part of Long Beach and be up at three million dollars mansion on the beach right there, and then motherfuckers steal it's ten, twelve to fifteen minutes apart from each other.
Speaker 3: But you know what a one thing that's always been funny about Long Beach, man, it's when them dudes click up. It's some dangerous though.
Speaker 1: Well that's what to me.
Speaker 5: The most dangerous niggas be the niggas that be that close to wealth but be poor. It's like when you watch Batman movies or like the Joker movie, and you wonder why them niggas crazy. You can't put wealth that close to poor motherfuckers and not think they gonna it's gonna drive them niggas crazy.
Speaker 1: Them niggas is extra crazy because they could.
Speaker 5: Drive ten minutes and be like they and beild my shoes or they in signal hell and you be.
Speaker 3: Like what the fuck.
Speaker 5: And eventually you gotta start to lose your fucking mind, Like got them City where you know, motherfuck on the street. But then Thomas Wayne penhouse is a twenty million dollar penhouse, but you sleeping on the street right at the front door.
Speaker 3: Yeah for real. And you know, I want to go back, man to our original thought. Man, do you what's the tightest song on Doggy Style? To you?
Speaker 1: My favorite or the tightest?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's your favorite?
Speaker 5: Okay, so the the great so the best Obviously, Obviously the greatest song on Doggie Style is Jenn and Juice. Right, The best song on Jenn and Juice is probably.
Speaker 1: Ain't No Fun.
Speaker 5: My favorite song on Jenn and Juice is probably Doggy dog World.
Speaker 3: That's what I was gonna say. Man, It's like three songs to me, and the way they sequence is a motherfucker Doggie dog World. Dog Ain't no fun?
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 5: I take that back because I go back and forth. I mean, so when that record first came out, I was too young, like I was like eleven, right, maybe twelve. So I remember hearing it in the compa swap meet. We was doing a low rider hop off with model cars. They used to do that the compwa. Me and my older brother Moses used to know how to put the hydraulics on the model cars and they would have hopoffs card against car, the model cars and the swap meet, and I won that year. The same month Doggy Staff came out and I remember hearing as matter of fact, Doggyastaff even came out. Who in mine had came came out? You know what's my motherfucking name? And they was playing that ship and I remember just thinking how hypnotizing this song was. And I always remember my green sixty four in problem, my model card Leprekahn, and that was my first time winning it, and my older brother Moses, Moses ass was hopping a card from me because he could catch the switch.
Speaker 1: And that motherfucker was hot.
Speaker 3: You knew it was a song that was if you didn't get that first run a Doggie style, you missed out in the cold last record. It was a song on there man, I think that might have been Natan Hook with all the gerial geez please stand up and all he counted for about the bits then you rolled in with the bro That ship was so hard dog it had like that that what sample was that from? Was that Curtis Mayfield? That might have been Curtis Mayfield and it was hard as a motherfucker. They couldn't get the sample clear dog.
Speaker 5: But the doggy style intro, the g funk intro with Rage is my favorite song right now currently on Dolly's staff, so last year because it's changed probably seven different times now. Don't get me wrong. The greatest song is Jenny Juice. That's never changed. The best song is Ain't No Fun, that's never changed. My favorite song changed last year.
Speaker 1: Was Doggie Dog World. This year, like I keep playing the intro Rage, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know what though, if that one song wouldn't have got if that one song would have got cleared, maybe we didn't get that intro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but shit we Yeah, that's cruel and I need that intro.
Speaker 3: And that's a cold last intro because to me, what makes it so pivotal and Snoop's album, right yeah, A Rage starts step motherfucker off and the way she said it off Dog, it was just perfect. She was on that motherfucker busting dog. And this is a cold thing because this is what I heard and me and eight getting we actually go get Raggs on the show to confirm some of this. I heard that Rage didn't like g funk beats. I believe it, d Virginia, you know, just just imagine, you know how she would have sounded, though, Dog. The thing is, though, Man, I don't think nobody wanted to hear rage on no hear beat on no DJ beats.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I didn't really get a chance to enjoy it.
Speaker 5: But I agree with you, she had a feel her feel with a.
Speaker 1: Funk like that. G funk intro.
Speaker 5: Is for sure one of the greatest intros I ever heard. I mean, and I like that about death Bro. Even when you hear the chronic, the first thing you really, you know, Snoop is talking, Drey not talking.
Speaker 1: Snoop is talking. Yeah, that deathro recipe.
Speaker 3: The funny thing about it, though, Dog, you know, sowing is funny. He said that he didn't like Doggy style more than the chronic because he wanted to hear Drey rapmore I said was sowing. Frey is really the producer, Dog, he's the sound man. You know what I'm saying. He don't want to. I don't really think Drake wanted to rap it. You know what, Drey is actually a great rapper. Dog. You know, I heard Drake wrote easy easy verse. Someone actually put me up on that dog he wrote easy ease verse on wait a minute for some people to leave, or got another trick up my sleeve step with pep to the back of the house, moving all the lights out.
Speaker 1: That sound like a producer rapping it too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that motherfucker was an easy Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Dre is more than dog, more than Dre is more than.
Speaker 5: Capable of writing records, you know what I mean. I just think he knows other people are better at it than he is. And he's such a fucking stickler and true, you know, master of this ship that he like, I'm gonna go to the best, Like first off, think about it, dog, like the dude who wrote keep your Head Ringing California Love right, he knew how to do things with with homie feel me that homie couldn't do for hisself, you know what I mean. Like Dre just is you know, he's truly the Quincy Jones and hip hop dog like of just what's going on, Like he's just not And then it's probably a disservice to call him the Quincy Jones of just hip hop, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean.
Speaker 1: Like Mary J. Blige's biggest song is produced by Doctor Dre.
Speaker 3: You know what, man, that the thing is. Man, I think Trey is like to say, like he's the Quincy Jones. Trey is fucking just in his own right. He is fucking.
Speaker 1: Quincy Jones, well in his own rights.
Speaker 3: Because he can he can. He can produce R and B just as good great as he can produce hip hop. So he's probably one of the greatest producers of all time, dog all around. Because if Dray just decided right out of Flip and say, I ain't doing nothing but R and B, I think we would have some incredible R and B. I think we would see R and B starting to make a comeback because R and B ain't been great in a long time. Though I don't even know if it was. I think you got R and B artists trying to be rappers, and you got you feel what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, Well, I just think. I think. I think music twenty years ago, you know.
Speaker 5: As as late as twenty years ago, was still a collaborative effort. And I don't think music is a collaborative effort now. I think, you know, to get in the studio, you had to have multiple motherfuckers right in there working on a record, you know what I mean, because it was just too much equipment. It was too many things that was needed to make it happen. So you had a meeting of the minds when you're making records, right versus now where you have a kid in his bedroom with a laptop and and maybe a MIDI controller and he's trying to generate the same type of power that James Brown.
Speaker 1: What was the name of James Brown's band?
Speaker 3: What was James Brown's band's name?
Speaker 5: Or or or even like like Barry White, what was the name of the what orchestra was that.
Speaker 3: Called Barry White? And the fucking let me let me look at I'm about to google this ship, not.
Speaker 1: Think about it.
Speaker 5: Right, these big bands, you know, all of the minds coming in right where you have Booty Collins in the band, right, you have Macy O Parker in the band.
Speaker 3: All these niggas are limited orchestra.
Speaker 5: That's a club, unlimited orchestra, right, So you have all these brilliant musician minds in there too.
Speaker 1: Just because Barry is dope, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean.
Speaker 5: The nigga who was playing the violin was dope to me, Like man, Barry I don't know if that's gonna work, Nigga, we probably need to This is how you need to play it. James Brown is telling Bocy something. James the JB's right, but James Brown telling Boogie something, and I can hear Boogie like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Baby, you know, we probably need to play it like this.
Speaker 5: And he put that little twist on and he's like, you know what, You're right, Boosie, and he ain't guess what. Now, it's just one little dude in there with his laptop and maybe a Midigan Jowler trying to emulate the fucking JB's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for real, man, you know, I think we're about to have one. I think Court he trying to jump in on this discussion, man. So it's gonna be interested, man, because the part of the Midwest Corter is from, man, Kansas City is a little different.
Speaker 1: They got good barbecue.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's a little different the rest of the Midwest. Man. I would say it's a lot like Cleveland. It's a little bit. It's a lot like Cleveland in a lot of ways.
Speaker 5: Well, Kansas City to me, leans more west. Cleveland needs more East as far as like influence, you.
Speaker 3: Know, what man. You know what, though I don't know, Cleveland loves some West Coast hip hop dog Cleveland love like like I would definitely say man that, I would definitely say that nw A got a lot of love in Cleveland. The Ghetto boys got a lot of love in Cleveland. Cleveland kind of fucked with some everybody, but it's as close to it or to New York dog. They didn't really fuck with, you know, Cleveland like New York shit though I ain't gonna say it, don't, but they fuck with more. They fuck with more West Coast shit than anything else.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just thinking though. It's like but but back to that point, it's like.
Speaker 5: I think that's what's wrong, and I think that's the complaint, you know what I mean about music. It's like it's like you asking like some kid with his laptop bro is trying to compete with the musical brilliance of the JBS, right, or the Titanic Orchestra. Like so even though Barry might be conducting the orchestra or the Heat because the Nigga had an ill conductor too, Right, So even if Barry had an idea he could come.
Speaker 1: In the studio be like, yeah, you know this how we're gonna do this shit, and then conducted be like, I don't know, Barry, that might not. You know, that might not. We might need to do it this way.
Speaker 5: Who the fuck is telling that little dude in there with his laptop and his mini controller the same thing?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Who is the booty Collins of a modern day producer in the room with James Brown and Macy o'park.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna tell you this though, the thing that made Mustard great, The reason why Mustard don't been dominating more niggas in the rooms is because he had people in the room. And he comes from a party scene. You remember you was telling me about the little niggas that was having the parties out here. That's Jim and he and it all comes same way from Trede. Trey was in the nightclub all the time. Alonzo had him in the night club all the time. He was djaying, So he comes from dj in. I think any great producer has to have roots and being a DJ, especially in hip hop.
Speaker 5: Well even in n w A right, it's yellow, it's yellow. Arabian Prince was there early right making the music with doctor Dre. It still was three Minds and hell. By the time Dre got to the Chronic or two thousand and one, he had a grip of motherfuckers in the room, you know what I mean. So again, the reason, you know your concerns about R and B is it's just not as many people participating because with the process now, it's really just really a nigga with a MIDI controller in the laptop and he pecking away at shit. And that nigga cannot be Macy O Parker with Boosey Collins, with the genius of James Brown and all the other niggas in the.
Speaker 1: JBS that I don't even know. That's probably some shit right now.
Speaker 3: It ain't nobody else. I got to give an introduction at home where Big Court just came in the building, my man, Court Baby, going on, what's going on? What's up with y'all?
Speaker 1: As a monster man?
Speaker 3: We send up. We were talking about a little bit about music, man. You know, we come on the thing. Man. We were about to drop these you know, fifty greatest hip albums of all time, man, and my number one was Doggy Style, and I think eight number one is Doggy Style eight. I mean Sarring, Well, he's not conflicted. He's let it be known as the Chronic is his number one. No, actually, Death Certificate is his number one, and I think Doggy Style may fall number two. But I was telling Glasses, I said, man, you know, Kansas City kind of got Kansas City had got a really heavy Bay Area influence down there. As crazy as that sounds, all just really just the Bay Area, you know. Would would you agree man, that Doggy Style is probably the greatest hip hop album of all time? Not for me? No? M hm, who would you say? Yours is? Man?
Speaker 6: That would be tough, But I would have to say, off the top of my head, Off the top of my head, no skips that I could say that was super impactful for me personally. It would be between It's crazy because Q would have two. Q would have America's Most Wanted and death Certificate is.
Speaker 3: Death Certificate, which I was conflicted about that, but I said, I thought that was a greater album.
Speaker 6: Nah, but I would But again, my my unpopular opinion for the If I had to say, the most complete hip hop album for me personally would be Spice One's America's Most America's Nightmare.
Speaker 4: I can see that from Kansas City nigga America America.
Speaker 6: I can see Kansas City niggas saying, seriously, America's nightmare.
Speaker 5: Why argue with sp Spice one is one of those enigmas, bro for everybody growing up where it's like you knew he was some ship.
Speaker 1: It just depends on where you called him at.
Speaker 6: Like I'm gonna tell you why I think that Spice to me, intricately speaking and skillfully speaking, it's a better rapper than Snoop Dogg. I think Snoop Dogg. Of course he has more personality, more sauce more. Uh, you know, he got that swag, he has that it factor, that star power. But you know, in terms of like just the skill level, I think, you know, Spice Yeah, for me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And then with the with the whole person.
Speaker 3: Up here to night man. Hey, But and I love Spice one, Chico, you my nigga, I love you dog Chico. Spice one is the ship with Spice one and no time zone and no planet in this universe?
Speaker 6: Is he ever fucking with Dog? But I'm gonna be honest with you. Dog Dog was Dog is dope. But I'm gonna be honest with you that that that doggie style didn't resonate with me. Don't get me wrong, it was dope. It's super dope, but it didn't resonate with me like like it did with everyone else. You know, i'ma be honest with you unpopular opinion. Same with Tupac. I love Tupac, my favorite. I remember I was on house arrest and I got I really got up on Tupac when he did uh holler if you hear me right?
Speaker 3: That album?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that album was dope.
Speaker 6: And then Me against the World and of course All Eyes on Me Michael Veley was super dope.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think I just kind of rooted for and and and I guess maybe connected work with the underdogs, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Ironically, I was trying to tell somebody that we just having this conversation about Tupac. Like, if you grew up today, you would think Tupac was the nigga the whole time, right, you didn't think of him. People wouldn't know that he was the underdog when I was younger, like rock Pak was the guy that your mom would let you listen to when you was my age. He see he has a message, you know exactly. This is pre Me against the world, all eyes of me.
Speaker 1: Snap.
Speaker 5: It was like, fuck these niggas. But previous, like Pac was the guy that your parents would let you listen to as far as black hip hop from the streets concerned, right, But he very much was the underdog until Me against the World and then it was kind of like more weird because he was in trouble, but he had the biggest songs in the country. I would say Doggy Staff for sure is the greatest hip hop album, for sure, the greatest gangster rap album more than anything.
Speaker 1: But there are albums I probably Street Gospel for.
Speaker 3: Me, sugar Free, Sugar Free.
Speaker 1: When that came out, I understood it. Do you know what need to say? One understood it?
Speaker 3: Not to cut you off soaring and eight argue me down the Street Gospels does not a gangster rap album. And I'm like, y'all, they ain't talking about no cripping blood shits, y'all. Where else do they do that? They try to tell me Rick Ross wasn't against the rapper. They told me Biggie wasn't a gangster rapper.
Speaker 5: But I think you know it's funny. I had this conversation on multiple levels where people for some reason act like the only gangs in the history of America is crip or blood like nobody else.
Speaker 1: No, not the not the Spades, No, not the Latin Kings.
Speaker 5: Exactly in the world are you got not the Mafia, gays, Alca pump and putting out them drive bys, Not the White Fences who've been in Los Angeles as a exactly fantish gang since the thirties.
Speaker 1: No crips and bloods.
Speaker 5: It's like, I don't know if that's a gift in the curse for LA whereas like you only think of us as gangsters, and I think it'd be like a cripple to people that's from LA because you leave and if you believe that.
Speaker 1: Ship you go, you ask and get killed.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, you want to get your ass kilt.
Speaker 5: Playing because you don't know these niggas is the same exact thing without the title.
Speaker 6: And a lot of that can be attributed to the fact again, you know colors, you know, l A street life and gang culture has been cessationalized. You know, it's been put on the big screen. It's been you know, like like we talked about on my show Glasses no where where have we seen uh you know we we haven't seen a popular movie about you know, gangster disciples or vice lords or nothing like that. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But Crimson Bloods is in st But going back to what we were.
Speaker 6: Saying about just the top album, one thing that I learned about hip hop right and rap is many times oftentimes what I've learned all like you have people say the proverbial jay z nas just depending on where you live and just what your ears calibrated to.
Speaker 4: And what Tupac. What I learned about Tupac or even y'all saying Snoop, is that sometimes it's not about who's the best rapper, but who's the best communicator? You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: See, that was the thing about Tupac. You know, E forty could rap circles around Tupac Tech nine Twister. You know, some of these more intricate rappers can rap circles around Tupac.
Speaker 4: But Tupac was a great communicator.
Speaker 6: Just the passion in his voice, his messaging and along with his story, the backdrop and who he was and you know, all of that made for that it factor with him you know what.
Speaker 3: I'm not, of course, but we get a lot of flak on this show, and I don't know where it comes from that we just don't like Tupac, and I think that's because a former co hosts had some things to say about him and the work.
Speaker 1: That's not why.
Speaker 5: What it is is any time you say something that don't have Tupac penis in your mouth, niggas like you don't like Tupac. Yeah, that's just it's funny because there are channels and pages dedicated to Tupac, and I have been questioned obviously. I made a hell of polarizing idea of a song about game banging that that involved Tupac, and people like it'll be people who will be like, he'll tweet me right, and like, the only reason people heard of you is because Yo, you put tupac name in your mouth and Tupac blah blah like discredit and everything I've ever done, and then their name on Twitter will be something like Tupac forever. The only reason people know about you is because you have Tupac's name in your mouth.
Speaker 6: Exactly what some of these some of these artists man have, Like when you talk about Tupac fans. When you talk about bone thugs and Harmony fans, Tech nine fans, Beyonce fans, Nikki Minaj fans, these people are fanatics like you.
Speaker 4: You can't you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: These people try to n be a young boy same thing you say something about NBA young boy man, and folks try to fight you in real life.
Speaker 4: So you know, some of these people are really, you know, passionate about their favorite artists.
Speaker 5: So you know, Minajs for sure got the most Nikki or Rihanna for sure got the most.
Speaker 1: Toxic fan base.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, will harass you and and I remember one day they tried to liberally harass me them on some You're a home. I'm like, bro, that's not an insult to me, Like I'm not right, I'm not. They'll just say, like, you know, I give them credit. They're a little bit more creative than the average hip hop fan, average hip hop fan.
Speaker 1: The first thing, you're broke, it's like, I have way.
Speaker 5: More money than your right, Like, if I'm broke, that means you're like and that's the two poverty. So the difference between me and you and Tupac is like I'm way closer to Tupac than you is to me.
Speaker 6: So, but I think people forget the music is subjective. We're talking about art. We're talking about something that is purely subjective, something that you know, again, I said spice one right. The masters will probably disagree with me, but there's a sector of people that will agree with me.
Speaker 4: You know, I could have said yeah, I could have.
Speaker 6: Said crunchy black, and trust me, it's a sector of people that would be like, oh, man't that country black go that crunchy black go hard?
Speaker 4: Even you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So that country accent? But great me, bro, let me, let me tell me, let me get ahead.
Speaker 3: Then I'm that you had a floor bro. I will say this. I was a major Tupac fan his earlier works, the Brenda has a Bringing up, Brenda had a baby beyond I'm gonna keep going on the album that Bob can't produce for him, when he produced the majority of the had tracks and all of them on there and I love that right there, really made me a Tupac fan. When I heard Brenda had the baby, I thought that was cool. But when I heard strictly from my niggas, I thought that was the ship right there when he hat that and to me, his greatest album is Me Against the World, when I didn't like against the version of Tupaca.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so greatness. The point I was making is I'm glad you're still here.
Speaker 5: Greatness is quantifiable favorite best those are all subjective. Greatness is quantified, quantifiable because it becomes numbers. The term greatness is it don't mean good, but it does mean impactful. So greatness is hella quantifiable. So like I can have this conversation as Snoop Dogg Doggie style, I mean as a Scarface fan, right, I just was having this really big conversation about classic albums, right, and yep, growing up my whole life, all the way to an adult, nobody had ever thought to have four classic albums. Fast forward to this generation. There's people who feel like somebody has six classic albums. So I realized my generation and people were for me.
Speaker 1: Were a little bit more stricter. But the fix is Scarfaces classic album. Right.
Speaker 5: But but but it's the consensus classic album of just anybody who listens to rap.
Speaker 1: But if a real Scarface fan exactly, that would probably be number four, that would even that would even be Yeah, that'd be about five or six for me, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Scarface favorite rapper by far.
Speaker 6: The first Scarface album, the call Me Mister Scarface, the one with them with the shytgun on there, with the work and all that. That's good, Peter rollam and and amended to pray in the second to die that in itself that is first crazy.
Speaker 1: As a die hard. Like we could do a whole Gangster Rap Chronicles episode about Scarface.
Speaker 5: My favorite scar Face. I think the best Scarface album is Untouchable, right, but my.
Speaker 1: Favorite carnally sonically scar Face album is made.
Speaker 4: May was dope made never might be.
Speaker 5: As far as favorite raps, there's no rap song that it never dope. Don't like never First off, who the fuck starts off of rap? Saying I will never violate the to the streets And I will never make a promise that I know.
Speaker 4: I couldn't keep. Yeah, never was dope, big dog status was dope.
Speaker 1: You know, I will never disrespect my mom or her or her mother.
Speaker 4: Need I didn't make that a.
Speaker 1: Gangster rap, That's what I'm saying. Where gangster rap really can be, Like, that's not a rule in gangster world.
Speaker 3: You know what let me want.
Speaker 6: I want to make a quick point to another thing that I think contributes to people's top you know, albums and different things like that. I think it it also becomes very personal because it takes us back to that time as well.
Speaker 4: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So when I say Spice one, it's the music that's a big part of it, but it's also that time of my life, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It was a soundtrack to my life at the time.
Speaker 6: That may be one of my favorite, you know, more memorable sectors of sections of my life. Just like when I say, just like when I say Scarface, like that takes me back that first album that takes or even ate like ate that music to drive by, not music to drive.
Speaker 4: By, but we come strapped Like that takes me back to when I was off the porch and it was adventurous.
Speaker 1: I was out there for me. That's dogfool mm hmmm, that was. But still what's crazy is right? Is I agree?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: But then one thing that I appreciate about what I do is and still gets mad.
Speaker 5: I can separate what I like from what's truly the greatest mm hmm, Like juvenile for sure is by far.
Speaker 1: My favorite cash money artists, and I'd say he's the best total.
Speaker 3: Who would you juveniles against rapper? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I would.
Speaker 3: I don't understand. I don't understand. Man, It's like eight and so on, and I ain't talking behind my brother's back, but they will. That's not a gangster rapper. It's like, nigga, are you crazy?
Speaker 6: Tell you it's probably because you know, they don't understand the lingo. They don't understand like New Orleans. I got a home in New Orleans. I have a New Orleans. I d like I'm a resident of Louisiana. But they don't understand. Just like Memphis or the swag is different. See on the way, coach, we know what it is, right, Uh, nigga, a nigga into life, look like a nigga in a life, especially back in our in our day, right nigga had the uniform. But in New Orleans, them niggas would be dancing. You'll see niggas dancing and hopping and doing all that.
Speaker 4: Killers, bro.
Speaker 6: They dressed different, they talk different, like like even even like even when you're looking.
Speaker 1: Heroin, it killed three niggas and cast That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So when you look at BG right when he came home and how his body language and people.
Speaker 4: Was talking about that, that's how some of them niggas act like.
Speaker 6: It's almost like some pimp shit like they they body language is different, they lingo, they swaged different. So you don't know the man, it's different, bro, it's different, you know what I mean. So just like if you go to Portland, you go to Seattle, you think they're not stepping up there, you know what I mean? Like, yeah, so I think niggas just don't catch the len go man.
Speaker 3: And the thing is they got steppers everywhere. It's like you can go to Montana somewhere and this and I guarantee you it's a nigga out. That is with the bullshit.
Speaker 5: I was in Omaha, niggas was bussing budding them, come down, crazy, kill your right, your motherfucking ass down. That's why people always ask me, glasses, how you go? How you get a look nigga? Everywhere is right where I'm from, I check every nigga like these niggas is crazy and I got to go all the way.
Speaker 1: So if it's a problem and go all the way because you deserve that much respect.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 6: I've been to Omaha. I used to go up there to Liola's back in the day. Made a lot of money out of Leola's record shop up there. Mom and Pop shot one of the biggest ones down there, and man, listen, and I used to you know, you know whatever whatever up there, Man, yeah, them niggas get down up.
Speaker 1: There will kill your motherfucking glass. I was out there they shot some ship up and I was like, you niggas, I'm going home.
Speaker 4: Because I've been to the Natty.
Speaker 3: I've been to you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean is I was in a Natty in two thousand and two or three, maybe even four. But two thousand and two or three.
Speaker 3: Is that when you looked up with JT.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, this is after that. This is before that. I was with the Young Guns.
Speaker 5: The Young Guns had a show and we was ride with the Young Guns. This is what I was on some d boys ship and people. Right, So we shout out to Christian because them niggas is the genuine article.
Speaker 1: I just say that now.
Speaker 3: But you know, we go to we go to the Natty.
Speaker 1: They got a show.
Speaker 5: This first time I taste nasty ass Cracker Barrel. I don't know what your niggas in the Midwest doing that place.
Speaker 1: Shut that ship down. That ship is the worst place in the world.
Speaker 5: Between between the Midwest infatuation with Cracker Barrel and the South niggas infatuation with the Wiffle House, I don't know what the fun either one of them. For the niggas in the Midwest beating Cracker Barrel and niggas that nigga, I'm just saying, I'm just.
Speaker 1: It's just too much good food.
Speaker 5: It's entirely too much good food for y'all to be fucking with them places where you're from, Pop, that's a stop I would see if you was out here. You know, it ain't that much great ship out here, but over there it's some ship you go to the gas station and get food is good.
Speaker 3: So here, huh, the Cracker Barrel is almost like Denny's.
Speaker 5: Denny's ain't good to me in Cincinnati, right, And there's a movement going on. It's a rapper's name is Cross, right, So this is before Hyphi is happening. But they have this movement where they're talking about popping pills and dancing mm hmm.
Speaker 1: And they had these do.
Speaker 5: The sound salnd do the sound sound and this is like the whole city is doing it now, murk out now. And they was dancing and they why you popping in Like uh huh, we be dropping it. They be talking about popping peels and dancing. And I was thinking to myself, like, this is the craziest shit in.
Speaker 1: The world to be happening.
Speaker 5: And it was in Cincinnati, and it was never nowhere else. And I remember leaving and it never happened nowhere else but in Cincinnati. It was the greatest thing I ever saw.
Speaker 3: Mm see.
Speaker 1: The last other time I saw that, I was in Dallas when Certified came. I certified huge in Dallas.
Speaker 5: Number one song in Dallas, and I go down there to get some money out of the show. I walked through and they playing this music and it's all these dance songs. This this, these weird songs Thanky leg and Dude the Frankie do It Frankie.
Speaker 1: And Ricky Bobby and I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, and they dancing in a circle, and I remember it was some niggas I was fucking with from oak Cliff, Thatple Street.
Speaker 1: It's a motherfucker. These niggas in the club, fucking it up in the whole club. It's three thousand people court club, dancing.
Speaker 4: In a circle, yep.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, this is crazy.
Speaker 5: Now that shit came back home. I mean, obviously staky. They became the biggest shit.
Speaker 1: I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I saw that ship in Dallas with all the street niggas and everybody else in Dallas, and that shit be the greatest thing about hip hop, where these things happen in these towns, and you'd be like, what the fuck, and then it kind of get watered down when you see it out, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He be like, it's not the same.
Speaker 5: Like when the Dallas niggas was doing it. It used to be a nigga called mister hit that hole and he looked like he ran a band and he called me, mister hit that hole, call me fucking it up. And he be in the club and the club was looking at this nigga, this nigga going.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is amazing.
Speaker 5: And then I seen some nigga doing in La and I was so disappointed, Like, bro let them Dallas niggas have they thing, you know what I mean, Like we can do the dances there, but don't try to be the nigga mister hit that hole.
Speaker 6: You know, you know what I missed, bro, I miss how like nowadays, a lot of the hip hop, you know, it.
Speaker 4: Sounds the same. Right back in the day, you could hear super regional.
Speaker 6: You if you if you heard something, you could kind of pinpoint where they were from, right, But I remember how it was regional. Like if you went to Miami, you knew you had Miami Base. You know, you had Luke and them. You knew the BPM was gonna be three hundred, You knew they was gonna be.
Speaker 4: Chanting and ship like that.
Speaker 1: You know, that's what it felt like.
Speaker 4: You feel me and and and you.
Speaker 6: And you knew you was gonna have Miami Base with Magic Mic and them down there. But then you know, when you go to New Orleans, you knew you was gonna have bust down. You gonna you know, you're gonna have that that that that that why that bounced right, And you knew when you went to New York it was gonna be on some boom back backpacker lyrics ship.
Speaker 1: So I missed that.
Speaker 4: I missed that where it was this melting pot of just of culture.
Speaker 5: You know, hey, listen, it was I went to Jackson City before I went to Kansas City.
Speaker 1: M hm, because right right nowhere but Instagram page right nowhere.
Speaker 4: One thing that you said that was very poignant was discovery.
Speaker 6: That was what was That's what's missing in hip hop, and that's what was so special because think about it in our day when you went and you bought that tape, you bought that CD and you opened it and the way it smelled, you read the credits, you read the shoutouts, you know, and they were from somewhere else, and they were giving you a glimpse into their culture, into their street culture, into their lingo, to their slang, to everything. Like when I listened to Ghetto Boys, I felt like I was in Houston. I felt like I was in Fifth Ward, Like damn, this shit different. You know, I'm up here in Kansas City at the Folk Block that's Fifth Ward. When I listened to you know, with that Ryan C and Dallas when you know what I mean, I'm like, well, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I missed that. That's what hip hop is missing, is that discovery.
Speaker 3: I want to leave your with this man before we get out of your dog and y'all both like bring up some real valid shit, right, because that's what the problem is today with everything. Nobody is pushing the envelope and nothing they doing anymore. Everything is okay. I see he popping with that. Now I'm gonna try it. It looks easy. Nobody is putting the work in anymore. It's like even with podcasting right now, I look out there and I see all my It's like I see all my children. She can attest to this. I see everybody that had one format. Now everybody is interviewing gangsters on their show, some people that shouldn't be, and I don't even think they understand what they really getting themself into because it ain't just that simple. But I'my's interview a nigga that's from the curve, and it ain't It shouldn't be about that. But I see people trying to imitate mimic. Nobody is doing the homework no more and saying, you know what, I'm going to bring a different discussion. That's not in music, that's not in podcasts, it's not in anything. Ain't nobody pushing then envelope. Ain't nobody trying to be great no more because the biggest thing I hate. Man, it's the worst word ever. I'm going to get the bag. That's it.
Speaker 1: And that was been so gentrified. The nigga be going to work tomorrow. You going to get the bag. That's like when people say I'm outside, brother, that is not what they mean. You're literally outside.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 1: Let me say one thing too for you, get up out of here. You know what I love about hip hop? You know what I mean. When you heard Tech nine, when you heard bone thus in Harmony, when you heard Twisted, you heard a style that was similar, you could tell they was off from the Midwest, that they none of them sounded alike.
Speaker 5: Nope, the all did the same double timestyle at R and B style, but you could just it was a Midwest.
Speaker 1: It's like when you heard Us in Oakland, you could.
Speaker 5: Hear the funk right. You can get a mob music versus G funk, and it's funk based, but it was easily little small nuances.
Speaker 1: I love that about hip hop. I remember hearing Bootsy for the first time at Juvenile. I'm like, they from Louisiana, but you could tell they both Louisiana. But it's just different.
Speaker 4: Different, Yeah, and I agree.
Speaker 5: Hip hop was like you know, was my first plane ticket to to Marshie, to the to Brooklyn, you know what I mean to bed style, like to to Sta when I finally went to State, Nyland and I and I hung out because it's a grip of brims in the projects now over there, right, shout out to all my brind hummies in State nightlingd Right, but like you, you just can feel the fucking woo tang in the fucking air, right, you know you can feel the woo tang in the fucking air man it used to be.
Speaker 1: And that's to me like what we try to do even with cancel these nuts, Like we was like, yo.
Speaker 5: Let's make that ship with you like man in man an still got that at until we you know, we we can't let you do. And I told you this when we was on holding court on your pole, and I was like, we can't really give you too much discovery because it's been forty years of it. But what we can do is recover some of that shit you remember, Yeah, I mean, because we very much distill the same la niggas the ones who ain't looked at the South was like I'm Finna ride South Dick or I'm finn to ride Detroit Dick.
Speaker 1: But the niggas, who really is like staunched down niggas, They the same niggas. They still got an opinion about what's happening today.
Speaker 6: You know what's weird, bro, It's almost like because of technology has been a gift and a curse. But technology did the same thing to music as it did with the game.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Because everybody started communicating and started traveling, it all became the same. The numbers became the same everywhere, just like the sound became the same everybody.
Speaker 1: You know what's fun. That's a great point. Even further, culture cannot stay isolated as long.
Speaker 5: Remember you had to at least buy that ten dollars CD because you either you're gonna pay a three hundred dollars plane ticket or a ten dollars CD. Now it's about logging on Instagram and listening. And next thing you know, you hear a whole world talking about twelve referring to police is twelve. You hear a whole world referring to motherfuckers's ops.
Speaker 1: Like it'll be you know, I mean, I heard motherfuckers on ESPN, like, oh yeah, all the said for the forty nine er fans of smoking on that Green Bay pack And I'm like.
Speaker 5: Yep, coach, you go from from the dirt to mainstream.
Speaker 4: But just like just like cripwalking though, just like cripwalker, but it took a long time.
Speaker 3: You think about that, Think.
Speaker 5: But we had crip walking for twenty years. I've been watching niggas kip walks as long as I've been alive. It didn't really hit everybody till the late nineties.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: But think about it, like, niggas don't have like, niggas don't have no culture, you know what I mean. Niggas don't have no culture. That that if it's your culture, you're gonna get that motherfucker. Once it hit the nigga, you got six days.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's a gift in the curse, bro because I think because the information, like you said, just it takes away all the discovery because back in the day, you know, things weren't so instant, you know what I mean. It wasn't this instant gratification. There was lead time for magazines. We waited because think about it, shit would happen. But shit, we waiting on the source. We waiting on double xcel a murder dog. Hell, it might be too much before we really get to school, you know what I'm saying. So when everything is so instant, it tends you tend to not appreciate it and savor it as much money.
Speaker 1: This is a really interesting conversation. So if you listen to the Gangster Rap Chronicles, if.
Speaker 5: You listen to this podcast and you're an artist or you're somebody in the creation business, this is a really important conversation to have about culture, you know what I mean, Where it's like Yore, we're saying culture is being gentrified at the speed of light. So maybe it's about introducing something that is not because I don't think you can really really fuck the game up, you know, if it's just totally culture, you know what I mean, Because culture is just not it's not as unique as long so you may have to look for EDGs, maybe get into the etymology of all this.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna tell you what. I'm gonna tell you what got lost? You asked me this on my show on Holding Court podcast. You asked me in real time, I dropped the ball, I went blank. I didn't think about it till after the fact. But you asked me, you said, what is hip hop? Now I know the answer to that, but in the context of what we were debating, I lost it.
Speaker 4: But so think about it.
Speaker 6: Hip hop was what it was, graffiti, it was breakdancing, DJ and aliens. It was elements, right, So those elements at one point, they did evolve during the nineties and toward the early two thousands they started to just totally leave, you know, So now there really isn't any culture. It's about catching a vibe, making some money, and that's what it is like there.
Speaker 1: That means, so are we mad? So are we still? When NA said hip hop is dead, that he's not lying.
Speaker 6: When you if you take it back to inception of it, if you take it back like you did etomology, if you trace it back to the etymology of it, and judging from that space, it's dead.
Speaker 4: It been dead because it's or or.
Speaker 1: Or or because it's definitely been gentrified and what not.
Speaker 5: You but where me and all in New York, it definitely has been most of all our ghetto has been gentrified.
Speaker 4: In Lost Angeles, absolutely, absolutely so.
Speaker 1: Even though those were the centerpieces of hip hop as for our street urban culture being expressed. We've been gentified. But that's also why.
Speaker 5: It's in Saint Louis right now, because guess what, Saint Louis is still a ghetto.
Speaker 1: It's in Memphis because if you go to Memphis, Memphis, it's still a ghetto. So that's why they're producing the successful hip hop artists.
Speaker 5: Still in Los Angeles is struggling and New York is struggling because because the poverty is like, there's no more poverty. You could be broke, but you can't be poor because it's shit too expensive to live here.
Speaker 6: But see that, And I'm glad you made that point because it's another point I wanted to make. But I think that you got to think about it. So, like you said, you said that hip hop comes from street urban culture. It comes from these you know, densely populated communities that are you know, crime, written, poverty and all of that. But see, it's not cool to be poor no more. Everybody starts off rich. Everybody starts off with a.
Speaker 4: Gang of money.
Speaker 6: And you know, I got it from the Mud, but I got it from the Mud because I was getting millions out of you know what I mean about he had a football Schottlar. I turned out three million at college.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So, so when when we talk about the culture and the essence of it, it has it has really been sold out for quick money, even when you think about the skill level. I think that I like a lot of the new music, but I think that kind of like what PIMC said before he passed away, he was complaining then fifteen years ago he was like, man, y'all not giving no game, no commentary, no social commentary, Like where is the balance? Like it's cool, give me some gangster shit. I like some gangster shit, you know, give me some ripe ye shit. But at the same time, you know, give me a little bit more, you know, give me, give me some real life perspective, give me some game that could be helpful. Like e forty, I say this all the time. You know, he too short taught me how to deal with women in terms of having utter confidence. And you know n Wa taught me how to deal with men in terms of the aggressive part of it. You know, he forty taught me how to stay out of prison. Once you start, once you start getting some money, you move a certain way. You start you know, like when he said, don't buy a seventy five thousand dollars car before you buy house.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Like he was telling you how to move ice tea the same way.
Speaker 6: But I think that now it's really crash out music. Everybody's depressed. You know, you got cause niggas is on so much, so many drugs. You got niggas on uppers, downers. You know, they get getting high. They sad, they mad, they hyper. They did say that, and I think that, you know, the culture is just completely gone now. I was talking with somebody about this a couple of days ago about why the South has had it. It actually derived from you and I our conversation in terms of the West Coast where they get the ball back. I'm gonna tell you where I think the South got it and why they keep it. It's as simple as the pocket. It's what you said, culture, but it's also the pocket. It's something infectious about down South, the music, the pockets that they wrap in the production, just the way they ride. The beat, which translates to the club, translates to the strip club, it translates to riding in the car, It translates whereas with traditional West Coast it's a groove, right, it's a groove, but a lot of it. It really can't translate to the strip club.
Speaker 4: It really came.
Speaker 5: You know what's funny to even add to that point. The strip club wasn't the main club in Los Angeles, I mean across the country.
Speaker 4: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 5: What happened was the death of the party, death of the regular, the death of the Tunnel, the death of.
Speaker 1: The Century Club.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, but is still here.
Speaker 1: But Tutsi's in Miami is still here in all its glory like a basketball gym full of strippers, a two story, three story building with strippers, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And that.
Speaker 5: But the South also, to their credit, and again I never felt any competition with region, right because it's that's just crazy, right, You either don't. But a great point is they're still poverty in the South. People like I don't think Atlanta got the ball no more. I don't think Atlanta's had the ball for the last thirty six months. And I think you'll have some stuff that's lingering over. Yeah, but most of the ship is coming from Memphis. Memphis, because Memphis is one big fucking ghetto was still abandoned houses. Yeah, yeah, you've been out here court, you would have been to count the wise nigga were the only thing left ghetto in country watch because none of the fucking houses our ghetto, none of the lines niggas lines.
Speaker 4: Had you fucked up?
Speaker 6: Bro, You'll be in l A and be like, oh, look at the palm trees and look at the gars and your ass being some bullshit. So I think the South sixties, the sixties is beautiful.
Speaker 4: People don't know.
Speaker 3: Conversation. We had an hour and twenty right now, man.
Speaker 1: And nigga yo, yo, your listener deserves insightful.
Speaker 3: Then, and we would give it to them at another time. But yeah, we will see you guys next week. We will continue this discussion next week. Letting note we out.
Speaker 1: Of here out here.
Speaker 3: Well, that concludes another episode of the Gainst the Chronicles podcast. Be sure to download the iHeart app and subscribe to the Gangst the Chronicles podcast For Apple users. Find a purple mica on the front of your screen. Subscribe to the show, leave a comment and rating. Executive producers for The Gangster Chronicles podcasts of Norman Steel, Aaron M. C A. Tyler, Our visual media director is Brian Wyatt, and the audio editors tell It Hayes. The Gangster Chronicles is a production of iHeartMedia Network and the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app Apple Podcasts wherever you're listening to your podcasts