Speaker 1: We're not just talking about physical aging, right, We're not talking about just how your face looks.
Speaker 2: We're talking about how.
Speaker 1: You communicate or indicate that you are not past your prime.
Speaker 2: I'm Susie Benacerum and I'm Jessica Bennett.
Speaker 1: And this is in retrospect, where each week we revisit a cultural moment that shaped.
Speaker 3: Us and that we just can't stop thinking about.
Speaker 1: Usually we zero in on a particular moment from the past, but today we want to talk about what happens when the past catches up with you and your face. So, jess today I want to talk about something that I feel like is coming up a lot these days when you and I talk, just like more often when we're on the phone late at night.
Speaker 4: When you forcibly call me on the phone in a variable.
Speaker 3: Assault of my millennialness.
Speaker 1: Okay, listen, First of all, I know you like talking to me. Stop pretending like you hate it.
Speaker 3: Can it be said in a text mess?
Speaker 2: I know, I know you would always prefer to be.
Speaker 3: Texting in a studio with you all day long.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, stop pretending like you don't love me and you don't want to talk to me all the time. No, I mean, I get it, Jess really does hat phone calls. I insist on them because I'm the older ones. But also it takes forever to type things out. So now I've just like resorted to voice memos with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Actually, that I think is a good compromise.
Speaker 2: That's a good compromise.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're we're we've settled on voice memos for us. But I think that actually gets to this idea of aging. I'm a little bit older than you, so I definitely have some habits that are slightly different. And I think one interesting thing is that, you know, my relationship to aging is changing because of this podcast in some ways, Like we are taking a lot of pictures, we are doing a lot more public appearances, and I think I have started to examine my face for signs of aging in a way that I did not used to do or just like really hadn't thought about.
Speaker 4: Well. Also, because traditionally you've been running things behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been very invisible, and I think that's been very deliberate for me, Like I never wanted to be on camera, and so it's been a bit of.
Speaker 2: A weird experience.
Speaker 1: And I think you and I've talked about this a lot, Like I got botox for the first time recently, congratulation, thank you. I just really yeah, maybe it's first botox. I was really like kind of afraid of it, and it was totally fine. But that experience also made me more self conscious in a way because I don't know about you, but the woman who does my botox, she requires you to take like a picture of your face, like a close up without makeup and send it to her, and then when you do the botox, she takes pictures and then in a month you take more pictures.
Speaker 3: To share to the promress to examine it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're just like looking at your face.
Speaker 1: So I feel like now I'm like slathering more things off my face, Like I'm like fighting this thing that I didn't know I needed to fight, right, So I'm trying to kind of readjust that thinking back to a normal way of experiencing my face, which is it's fine.
Speaker 2: You know, nobody is like care if I have a few wrinkles.
Speaker 1: But a thing that made me think about this also is there's this recent Vogue cover where the supermodels of the nineties, this group of women who were just like hugely famous during our childhood graced the cover and they released a documentary on Apple Plus about their.
Speaker 2: Fame and how they experienced that as a group.
Speaker 1: And the supermodels I'm talking about are, of course, Cindy Crawford, Christy Turlington now known as Christy Burns.
Speaker 2: Naomi Campbell, and Linda Evangelista.
Speaker 3: Do we're all in their fifties now?
Speaker 1: Who are all in their fifties now? Do you have a memory of the supermodel era in the nineties?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, of course I remember Cindy Crawford in like those pepsi ads, and I remember that George Michael music video that they were all in that. I think you have a lot to say about. Yeah, But wasn't the whole thing with this cover that they were in their fifties now, they were reflecting back on their careers, and yet they looked they appeared utterly ageless on that cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's a little bit of a distinction between how they look on this Vogue cover and the documentary that presumably.
Speaker 3: This cover is promoting.
Speaker 1: In the documentary, they are seen much more just like going about their business. But it is interesting that there was a bit of a backlash to the cover because they had been so airbrushed, as is vogues want to do, and so there was the sense of, like, why weren't they embracing.
Speaker 2: Their more natural beauty?
Speaker 1: But I think that's a really high expectation, right, Like I think it expects a lot of women to sort of just like embrace aging when society is so clear that aging is a woman is seen as a negative.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So these women all became really famous when they were teenagers, except for Sidney Crawford, who was twenty I think when she really arrived on the New York modeling scene.
Speaker 2: And even that is interesting to me, like.
Speaker 1: I really have a clear recollection of them, like I can kind of close my eyes and see each of them in their most famous moments. And Cindy Crawford especially, I just loved Cyndy Crawford. And you know, I did not think of them as young. I mean, I think that's what's interesting. They were so larger than life. It seemed like to me, I would have told you they were in their thirties, which is crazy, like no models start in their thirties, right, But I was a teenager, so to me, they seemed like impossibly sophisticated and cool, and so you know, these are women who were children when they were revered, and you know, have to varying degrees embraced getting older. But it's a lot to ask of them to sort of just like show up on Vogue bear face. They're not going to do that, I think, unless they are extraordinary circumstances.
Speaker 2: And one thing that.
Speaker 1: Occurs to me when I look at this cover is that actually the way we think about magazine covers has changed. Right Like, when we were growing up, these were the women who were on fashion magazines, they were extremely young. But sometime in the late nineties, fashion magazines very deliberately moved towards putting celebrities on the cover incentive models. They just found that it sold more magazines. So we do actually see older women on covers now, just much more regularly, Like we're just exposed to more beauty that's not twenty Like the cover right before this one was Angelina Jolie, who is forty eight. So it's not such a big deal to have women in their fifties on the cover of a magazine anymore. Like there was a time when that would have been just like wild.
Speaker 3: But it's like, did they look fifty?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the interesting thing in general, is what we consider looking fifty and what fifty looks like now. I feel like, especially celebrities of fifty is so different. Like if you think about what Jlo looks like, that is not what I in my mind, as a teenager, would have pictured a woman in her forties or fifties looking like. Right, Because there's so much you can do now to fight the aging process.
Speaker 2: There's so much as expected of you.
Speaker 4: Right, I mean, Botox just celebrated it's twentyth anniversary.
Speaker 3: So for twenty years now.
Speaker 4: People have been getting botox, and all of the different procedures have only progressed and become more sophisticated since then. But didn't Linda Evangelista actually have a terrible plastic surgery experience?
Speaker 3: Did she talk about that in the cover story at all?
Speaker 1: So she didn't talk about it herself, I don't think, but they did touch on it because it's become sort of a big story that surrounded her in the last couple of years. You know, she had done this procedure called cool sculpting, and she alleges that as a result of that procedure, she was in her own words, disfigured by it, and where she was trying to remove fat, which is what cool sculpting does. It's like non invasive removal of fat. She'd actually developed hard pockets of fat, which does sound terrible, like I would be really traumatized by that too, And she did settle a lawsuit against the company, so I know what the company admitted or didn't admit to, But it certainly is an example of the fact that there are so many procedures that are going on now that just haven't been around that long, right, So there are consequences to this, Like I think botox might be twenty years old, but it's certainly really in the last ten years that it's become just very common to use fillers and things that freeze your face that just didn't exist in the cultural space in.
Speaker 2: The same way it does now.
Speaker 1: I think partially because of the Kardashians, Like they do so much to themselves and it becomes so normalized, and I think influencers do so much to themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what plastic surgery used to be something that you hid and now it is something that you.
Speaker 1: Talk about, well, in some cases you brag about, right, like I think a certain kind of influencer wants to be like, I'm rich or famous enough to need this. So there's like a kind of different relationship to plastic surgery. And certainly, you know, I think we just are more aware that that is a common tool that everyone uses, or a lot of people use. I shouldn't say everyone, because I think outside of New York and LA maybe.
Speaker 2: It's not quite as common.
Speaker 1: But here, I was really shocked when I started to think about getting botox to find that like every woman I knew had essentially done it already, and I was the last of my friends.
Speaker 4: Okay, but back to this cover for a second. Did they actually talk about the aging process or that's not what it's about.
Speaker 3: It just that became the backlash to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's not really what it's about.
Speaker 1: Actually, So the documentary itself is really about retelling their stories. These four women became incredibly close. They sort of represented a time in modeling that doesn't exist anymore, like this era of the supermodel, and this was a very nineties cultural phenomenon. They became celebrities in their own right.
Speaker 3: They were all in that George Michael music video.
Speaker 1: Right in some ways, I think that video really cemented their fame and is like a sort of a bookend, one of the bookends to the beginning of the height of their famous the song Freedom.
Speaker 2: The song Freedom.
Speaker 1: This is this like very famous George Michael video, which you know he doesn't appear in because he's starting to have a relationship with fame.
Speaker 2: That's complicated.
Speaker 1: For those who don't know, George Michael was gay and not out of the closet. So he talked about how he wanted to start deconstructing.
Speaker 2: His image as a sex symbol.
Speaker 1: But his music really was very sexy, like he literally had a song called I Want Your Sex, so to replace himself, he asks these four models to be in the video and the models are all lip syncing to his song and they're in various states of undress, and this video played all the time.
Speaker 2: It was a huge hit for.
Speaker 1: MTV, and it became such a huge thing that a year later, versauced his fashion show. The finale look was these four women coming out to the song Freedom, and that is in many ways scene as like the moment that put supermodels on the map. So you know, this cover is really about that. But I just naturally assumed. I mean, these are four women in their fifties who made their living off of beauty standards, so I assume there just would be a lot of conversation about it. And Linda Evangelisa does talk about it a little bit, but basically she's the only one in the Vogue piece at least, and she says, you know, I don't mind aging. It's like, you know, a sign that we're growing and I want to grow old and I want to stick around. And that's, you know, obviously, how we all feel. I'm sure it's better to age than not age, right, the alternative isn't great. But I think as women, there's just a lot of evidence that aging is not, you know, something.
Speaker 2: That helps your career or helps how you're seen by the.
Speaker 1: World world, Like you just lose cultural currency in our world.
Speaker 4: Everything you're saying here is really reminding me of a thing that happened last year involving former CNN host Don Lemon, who I believe this contributed in a part to his firing, or at least allegedly so, in which he noted that a woman of a certain age is quote past her prime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he was talking about NICKI Haley, who by the way, is fifty one, like not past her prime by any definition I would use. Apparently it's a definition Don Lemon would use. Will play it so you can hear it for yourself.
Speaker 5: NICKI Haley isn't a ener prime. Sorry, when a woman is considered being a prime in her twenties and thirties and maybe forties, that's not according to merime for what it depends, And it's just like prime. If you look it up, it'll if you if you google when is a woman in a prime, it'll say twenties, thirties, and forties.
Speaker 1: I don't miss forty, So I got nothing I agree with that.
Speaker 5: So I think she has to be careful about saying that politicians aren't in their prime.
Speaker 3: We need to qualify. You're talking about prime for like child boring or are you talking about.
Speaker 1: And this is so awkward because he's talking to Poppy Harlowe who is in her forties. Okay, it is crazy that he's using sort of like the definition of child bearing years for being president. I mean, he was suspended for this and he did apologize for it. But I think this really speaks to.
Speaker 2: How men think about women in a lot of ways.
Speaker 4: Well, by the way, Don Lemon is fifty seven. But yeah, I think what you're getting at is this is not just among men, but there is a belief, there's a societal belief, and it is backed up by research and data and economics and everything else that when women age, they somehow lose their cachet, they lose their currency, they past their prime, they become old hags, and when managed, they are distinguished and wise. And for politics, you literally can't run for office until you're thirty five years old. So actually, Nicki Haley, for what it's worth, is literally in her political prime.
Speaker 3: Whatever you think of her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what's interesting is that what Don Lemon is responding to the reason he says this about Nicki Haley is because she has made a comment about Joe Biden being too old to be president, Like she's essentially saying that she should be the candidate because you know, both Biden and Trump are too old, and you know they're in their eighties, Like right. The idea that you would compare a woman who's fifty one to men in their eighties and be like it's the same, so she shouldn't comment on their age like that is a wild reach on his part.
Speaker 4: Well, what you're getting at, I mean, and what this clip and this exchange and all of it crystallizes is really.
Speaker 3: An age old belief that a.
Speaker 4: Woman can read past her prime and that there's this enduring double standard when it comes to women in age.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Actually, what's so interesting is when I was doing research for this, I was looking up the Supermodel documentary and I came across this documentary from twenty twelve actually that had aired on HBO that was literally about supermodels and aging.
Speaker 2: It's kind of what I thought this was.
Speaker 1: And there's this wild quote in the New York Times piece about it from Sheila and Evans, who at the time was running HBO documentary films, and she's promoting the film, so she obviously thinks these women are interesting and have value. But what she says when she's describing the film is beautiful women getting older women who decay. That's always intriguing. Like decay is so wild in this context to me.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm sure she'd probably use that word for men too, are you, Like, are you think about I guess in a way you are also, I just like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know why that word is so vivid to me, like I would never.
Speaker 3: Just humans as decaying.
Speaker 1: It's just like evokes like a picture of a mummy in my mind.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think that is so ingrained.
Speaker 1: That's like, I'm sure she wasn't saying this to be insulting, right, Like she goes on to say, you know, they are their own instruments. Would you do when you're a strativarius? That's losing your strings? Right, So she's essentially saying these supermodels have lost their tools when they become older, right, which I mean fair given how people feel about older women, right.
Speaker 4: And I mean, honestly, you probably don't even need me to give these statistics because maybe it's so known at this point that agism exists and that there is a double standard for women. But I've actually done a lot of writing on this subject, and a few years ago, when I was at Newsweek, we actually conducted this major survey looking at hiring managers and agism in the workplace. And this now I think is probably not so surprising, but eighty four percent of managers said that they'd hesitate and that other employers would hesitate in hiring someone who is a visibly older candidate, so like, yeah, this is very real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that feels very real. Is a woman?
Speaker 1: I know that it is going to be harder for me to get jobs the older. I guess that's how I feel about it, certainly.
Speaker 3: And it's not how you feel.
Speaker 4: That's literally a fact, yeah, I mean fair, it is literally a fat yeah.
Speaker 1: So I mean I think ageism exists across the board, but especially for women, And like, what we do is a job that requires some access to cultural currency, right, and women are seen as having less access to that as they get older. Like I run digital newsrooms, I'm not going to be seen as being able to kind of think of the right stories or have a sense of the right cultural moments, which I think is absolute bullshit, but something I'm very aware of the older I get, and I've become more resistant to telling people my age.
Speaker 2: Actually I thought I would become more.
Speaker 1: Willing as I got older, because when I was younger, it was almost like you're too young, you look too young for this job. Like I remember getting a lot of feedback that I was like, are you old enough?
Speaker 2: Like whatever.
Speaker 3: That's actually a really good point.
Speaker 4: So I think what you're describing and being a leader, especially in newsrooms, as you age where you're expected to know like what the kids are doing, you can be penalized. And I think that's probably true for anyone. But as women, you spend like the first ten years of your career trying to convince everyone that you're not too young to be experienced or have wisdom at all, and then there's like this maybe couple year blip when like you're okay, and then suddenly you're too old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like instant, like one night you're one thing, the next night you're the other one.
Speaker 4: And I don't think that that is true or to the same extent for most men.
Speaker 1: I mean definitely not, because most of the newsrooms I've worked in have had older men in charge, and no one asks if Marty Barron knows what the kids are doing, you know what I mean, Like everyone just assumes that he's a man who's earned his position and he knows how to hire people who know what the kids are doing. But there's just more of an expectation of women that you're supposed to be all the things, and if you really want to stay relevant, you better look like you are not that old.
Speaker 4: The other thing that is confusing about all of this is that nobody looked their age anymore.
Speaker 3: Like what even is that?
Speaker 4: So do you remember in twenty twenty when Jlo and Shakira did the halftime show at the Super Bowl. Yeah, and they were in there, like you know, leotards or whatever. Jla was fifty at the time, Shakira was forty three, and they were dancing and they were singing and did this amazing act and people were like, oh my god, they're incredible, like they have more stamina and athleticism than some of the guys on the field, which like, yes, they absolutely did, and like power to them, snaps to that.
Speaker 3: But I remember looking at Jalaen thing is that what fifty looks like?
Speaker 2: I mean, how many people can look like Jlo?
Speaker 3: She looks amazing And so I don't know that too.
Speaker 4: It's like, so, on the one hand, you have a fifty year old who shows no visible signs of aging. I mean maybe if you were to see her face to face she would, but certainly not in any of the public platforms. Yeah, and then you have Pamela Anderson. This is another semi recent example where she was at fashion Week in Paris and she went totally makeup free. Yeah, amazing. She's in her fifties. She looked incredible.
Speaker 3: She looked basically her age, and everyone's saying like, oh my god, this is a rebellion. This is so brave, and you kind of want to be like, is.
Speaker 2: That really brave?
Speaker 3: Like is that what bravery is? And I get it on what I thought. I mean, Malala is brave?
Speaker 4: Right, you know, yeah, I guess it is sort of brave to go out without a made up face when you're a person whose appearance has been the entirety of your career and you're a woman.
Speaker 3: But by the same token, Like, is that what we call bravery?
Speaker 4: Now? Like I can think of a few things that are a little bit more. Actually, this is my whole thing about linguistic Like can we not call it brave if it's not?
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, it's actually interesting, right because I just said when you talk about Jaylo j Loo looks amazing, but I also think Pam Anderson looks amazing and one of those women looks her age, right, I think Pam Anderson has just embraced a more natural approach to aging.
Speaker 2: And by the way, for.
Speaker 4: People listening who may not have seen her recently, yeah, she has. She really does go makeup free. She hasn't done any plastic surgery in a long time, but.
Speaker 3: Of course the early years of her career she.
Speaker 4: Admitted openly that she did tones plus yes choice. So and I mean that too in and of itself is like an irony. It's like, so we're now we're hailing the person who in.
Speaker 3: Fact created the unreal standarday.
Speaker 4: Standards as being so brave for now tearing them down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I want to be clear, like I have no judgment actually about plastic surgery, Like I obviously just admitted that I got botox, and if I want to do some nipsyn tucks, I'm not going to feel any kind of way about that. The truth is, we live in a society that's going to judge me based on how I look, and if I have to do things to feel more comfortable or confident, I don't feel any.
Speaker 3: Career or better in my career. I screwed up hard about it, Yeah, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Feel shame about that, and I don't shame anyone else for it. But you know, there's one person who I do sort of feel a little bit conflicted about this on because I love her so much, which is Madonna? You know, to me, Madonna is the icon of the eighties and nineties. Like I just worshiped Madonna when I was a kid, and I felt like she.
Speaker 2: Broke so many boundaries.
Speaker 1: She really showed us that you could be a woman who owned her sexuality, who owned her ambition, who was willing to be entirely herself and didn't feel all this pressure to conform. But you know the way her plastic surgery looks now, and you know, maybe this is unfair because it's just like I don't like what she's chosen to do, Like j Loo looks good to me.
Speaker 2: So I accept the choices she's made.
Speaker 1: But you know, there was this recent fear last year about the Grammys. You know, she's just gotten a lot of filler and her face looks really puffy. She just isn't recognizable physically, Like she doesn't it like herself, yes, and not in a way that's flattering, unfortunately. And you know, she's talked about how hard it was to hear that feedback.
Speaker 2: I mean people really openly talk.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, So.
Speaker 4: That's just so the thing that confused me is like, yeah, if you've seen Madonna in the last few years, like this is what she looks like, So why is everyone suddenly now upset? But people were up in arms. Everyone was criticizing her. It was like in every single tabloid, it was all over the internet. And I don't know, we live in a culture that makes women do this and then you're gonna pounce on her for doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and she's sixty four, right, so she is doing what she feels she needs to do to continue to stay in the spotlight. And I do think like social media makes this so that she must also be looking at her face all the time.
Speaker 2: Right, she has to do Instagram, she has to do.
Speaker 1: All these things that maybe wouldn't have put as much pressure on her.
Speaker 4: But in my fantasy of Madonna, because I also love her and thinks she's incredible, she was doing this as affect you.
Speaker 3: To everyone else, she was like, yeah.
Speaker 4: This is what I look like. You might not like it. This is what women have to do, Like I'm going to put it in your face.
Speaker 2: And she actually has said that, right.
Speaker 1: She responded to this by saying it was ageism and misogyny, and she said I think she said something like I look forward to many more years of subversive behavior, pushing boundaries. But I think this sort of gets back to what you were saying about Pam. What feels like more subversive behavior in this world is actually allowing yourself to age, right, ye, And so that is a little bit of the conflict.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'm not at all surprised that Madonna feels pressure.
Speaker 1: To look young, right, but I wish that she felt about it the same way she felt about a lot of other things in her career, which is, fuck the standards everyone else is setting. I'm going to be the person I choose to be. And you know, she's saying that this is that, and so I want to take her at her word. But it is interesting that it brings up something for me, right, Like, I feel a certain way about the choices she's making.
Speaker 2: Clearly other people and so many other people do.
Speaker 4: And I mean, yeah, it's easy to say we wish that she could age naturally and still be doing what she does. But would the culture let her, would music executives let her, would the Grammys let her?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Well.
Speaker 1: I mean Pam and Erson's a great example, right, like, she is doing that and it's it's working for her.
Speaker 3: She's actually she's not in a show.
Speaker 4: She's like a tending fashion a make of her own accord without a stylist, just as like a private citizen.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's really hard to know what you can and can't get away with.
Speaker 4: We should also mention too, by the way, Yeah, so botox has been around for years. Like in general, all of these procedures have increased, but they've increased more for men than they have for women. I'm not saying that more men are doing them than women now, but I believe the data would show that increase has been higher for men because it's now becoming normalized for men to do it too.
Speaker 1: Oh one hundred percent. I mean, I think it's so interesting. I actually remember the first time I realized men in the spotlight got blostic surgery. I was working with a very well known woman in the public eye. Mean, I just won't out her for this, and we were watching just randomly an Oprah show. It was on in the background in the newsroom, and she looked up and it was Tom Cruise being interviewed by Oprah. Not the famous Tom Cruise, like a previous Tom Cruise apear not the jumping on the couch, and she said to me, Wow, his work is so good.
Speaker 2: I wonder who he's using. And I was like, what do you mean?
Speaker 1: Like I did not realize that Tom Cruise in his forties was getting work done.
Speaker 2: You know. To me, that was like a real revelation.
Speaker 1: And you know, as I was in the TV business longer, I realized a lot of male anchors were getting plastic surgery. But I think it used to be something that men in the public I did and hid. But now we're pretty aware of the fact that, like everyone kind of knows right that Joe Biden is getting facelifts and using botox.
Speaker 2: Like we just expected it now. I don't know how you could not know it.
Speaker 1: I mean, the man is eighty with the skin of a fifty year old man.
Speaker 2: I mean, have you looked at a picture of him? What a picture of Joe Biden right now?
Speaker 4: Skin looks anyway? Yeah, I of course would not be surprised.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think Joe Biden has to write because if he looked as.
Speaker 4: If the major criticism against him in this moment of City's tool.
Speaker 1: Right, and then like you look at someone like Nancy Pelosi, Nancy Pelosi has obviously also had a lot of work done to maintain the appearance of youth to some degree, right, Like, she doesn't look like she's thirty, but she certainly looks younger than her years, because you know, I think just being in the public eye forces you to look a certain way, and we have a different expectation of what ages are supposed to look like now because the needle has moved so much, we don't actually know what eighty is really.
Speaker 3: Supposed to look like a thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, this is all really complex. Even Gloria Steinem has admitted to having some work done.
Speaker 3: So how are you supposed to think about it?
Speaker 4: Like, it would be great if everyone age naturally and we could all just like look like our actual normal cells.
Speaker 3: But we're too far past that.
Speaker 4: At this point, when I was reading up on this subject a little bit and trying to remind myself what I had written in the past, I was rereading this essay that Deborah Sparr, who used to be the president of Barnard where you went to college.
Speaker 2: I'm familiar with them.
Speaker 4: For the Airtimes, and she was talking about the kind of feminist conundrum of getting work done and how she and her peers had done everything right, like they had worked their way up in their careers. They'd found partners who were going to change the diapers and support them. They put off their fertility so that they could establish their careers in time, and then they hit a certain point and suddenly they're like all getting work done, but then lying about.
Speaker 3: It or like trying to hide it. And I think that's an enduring thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, that was written I think in twenty sixteen, and I think people are talking more openly about it now. But I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know what the solution is. I know that for me, my job, which is in many ways my.
Speaker 4: Livelihood, is very intimately connected with the ability to understand what's happening in the culture. And oftentimes the people that are creating the most interesting culture are young people, and so you.
Speaker 3: Have to know about that. So is you know, getting a bunch of work done to look younger going to do that for me?
Speaker 4: Like? No, But we're living in this interesting period I think now where the Internet.
Speaker 3: Has allowed people of every.
Speaker 4: Age to consume the same things. So on some level, it's like we're listening to Olivia Rodrigu and like in the shower while doing so. And the teenagers that I document in my reporting or my students in the class I teach are all wearing the clothes that I literally wore when I was like getting my first period at age thirteen at Washington Middle School in Seattle. And so there's like this weird flat of culture that's occurring, and it's.
Speaker 3: Like who's young, who's old? How do we tell?
Speaker 4: Like, I don't look my age, neither does anyone else. Young people are doing makeup tutorials on TikTok that make them look so old.
Speaker 3: Like well, also there's skills, people are dying.
Speaker 1: There are gray now as like a fashion trend, right, which I mean, I guess that's not now, that's been around for a couple of years. But this gets to something I think that's interesting, which is, we're not just talking about physical aging, right, We're not talking about just how your face looks.
Speaker 2: We're talking about how.
Speaker 1: You communicate or indicate that you are not past your prime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yes, that is, and how do you communicate that.
Speaker 1: Well, you have this interesting piece in the Times about what it feels like to no longer be the group that everyone is courting, right, Yeah, And I think that that's also interesting, right that there is this thing that happens as you get older, which is that you start to feel like you're not as relevant to the conversation because the conversation is no longer directed towards you.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, So, I mean I I entered my career at a time when everyone was desperate to figure out millennials. Yeah, so it was like every headline was asking about millennials. People were always coming to me at my various jobs where I was like an intern or whatever, being like, so, what are like the kids doing? And there was a full year after I moved to New York after college where I was working in a bar and I was taking market research surveys online where the only requirement was that I had to be a millennial, and I would just answer questions about like whatever random thing because they just valued my opinion as.
Speaker 3: A millennial so much.
Speaker 4: And so you start to feel like the center of the generational universe and you get.
Speaker 2: Used to that.
Speaker 4: So I think I did get used to that a little bit, Like I was, Yeah, I was the cool one. I was the one that was telling people what was happening on the Internet. I started my career at a time when people didn't care about the web, but they simultaneously knew that they needed to understand it. And how are they going to understand it? They were going to ask me.
Speaker 2: I love that you referred to it as a web. I mean, I think you started a time when we called it the web. Right, we don't call it that.
Speaker 1: Anymore, but you know, truly, I think it's like you've been replaced by gen Z, which is now the sort of age group that advertisers are starting and everyone wants to understand. And so I think this is just a natural progression, like it is time to pass on the baton in some ways. But also there is one thing I came across in the research that I've actually been trying to really absorb for myself, which is that you know, I told you I found that older Supermodel movie from twenty twelve, and in it, Carol Alt, who was also a very famous model in.
Speaker 2: Her time, said something that I think.
Speaker 1: Is true and that it's easy to forget, which, as she said, aging isn't necessarily bad, and this was her quote, there comes a point at which you are a precious commodity because there is nobody else like you, and I think that's an important thing that we should all really try and take to heart. There's value in aging, and we forget that lot in this particular society. But it's real and I'm not looking to be twenty again for.
Speaker 3: Sure, Susie.
Speaker 4: I want to quickly tease our next episode, which actually pairs nicely with this idea of aging.
Speaker 2: Ooh, is it about botox?
Speaker 3: It's not about botox.
Speaker 4: It's about American Pie, which can you believe is twenty.
Speaker 3: Five years old this year?
Speaker 4: Oh no, And it's also about how that movie popularized the mill bil Bil Hell.
Speaker 2: This is in retrospect. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Is there a pop culture moment you can't stop thinking about and want us to explore in a future episode. Email us at inretropod at gmail dot com or find us on Instagram at in retropod.
Speaker 6: If you love this podcast, please rate and review us on Apple or Spotify or wherever you listen. If you hate it, you can post nasty comments on our Instagram, which we may or may not.
Speaker 1: You can also find this on Instagram at Jessica Bennett and at Susie b NYC. Also check out Jessica's books Feminist Fight Club and This Is Eighteen.
Speaker 6: In Retrospect is a production of iHeart Podcasts and the Media. Lauren Hanson is our supervising producer. Derek Clements is our engineer and sound designer. Emily Meronoff is our producer. Sharan Atia is our researcher and associate producer.
Speaker 1: Our executive producer from the media is Cindy Levy. Our executive producers from iHeart are Anna Stem.
Speaker 2: And Katrina Norbel.
Speaker 1: Our artwork is from Pentagram. Our mixing engineer is Amanda Rose Smith. Additional editing help from Mary Do. We are your hosts Susie Bannaccarum and Jessica Bennett.
Speaker 3: We are also executive producers.
Speaker 6: For even more, check out inretropod dot com.
Speaker 3: See you next week.