Speaker 1: Welcome to She Pivots. I'm your host to Emily Tish Sussman. One of my goals in starting this podcast is to highlight voices and stories of women who went through something deeply personal, only to come out of it on the other side better than they could have imagined. After launching She Pivots last year, it's clear it's not a small group. This applies to most women, whether it's a big pivot or even just a tiny pivot. What's clear is there's still a lot of unpacking to do around pivoting. So as we're continuing to build this platform and community through new episodes, I wanted to also bring you more stories, unfiltered and honest. So I'll be sitting down with more women, maybe the occasional man, some of whom have mastered their own pivot, some are just starting the pivoting journey. Are some just have something to teach us about the deeply personal moments of life. So stay tuned for more of the candid conversation this season.
Speaker 2: Let's jump right in.
Speaker 1: This conversation today is probably one of the most substantive that I'm going to have on this podcast about what it means to pivot and what it means for your identity when you're doing all of that, because this is the expert in this field as it is evolving right now, the founder and I guess principle of mother untitled Neha Rush Neha.
Speaker 2: Let me just formally welcome.
Speaker 3: You to she Pivots. Thank you.
Speaker 1: So we were just chatting a little bit about how we met, and I'm going to give it to you to recount.
Speaker 3: You had just run that fabulous piece for she knows that my kids killed my career, and not one but like fifty people sent it to me, but to it in particular, said like, you two must meet, and I feel like we made that happen within thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I had the flip side of it.
Speaker 1: As soon as I wrote the article, people were like, but you must have gotten this from Neha, and I was like, tell me more about Neha.
Speaker 2: I'd love to meet her. So how did you start it?
Speaker 3: So when I had my first son in twenty sixteen, he was born New Year's Day and it was at the height of the Girl Boss era. Leanin had been the rallying cry of my business school graduation and yet when I was rocking in that chair with him, I felt the sense of contentment and belonging that I had been looking for. I'm not going to paint that with like rose colored lenses and say like I wasn't leaking milk and like sleep deprived. But I did find something I'd been looking for and lacking in my career to that point. And I, you know, spent a decade in advertising. I'd just gotten my MBA. The expectations were high on my like very linear career track. But I sat at that point that I wanted to downshift, and I started to come face to face with like all the societal stigma that comes with the quote unquote stay at home mother. Right, So I started hearing like, ugh, you took a spot at Stanford, Like you took that spot just to stay at home, and or like what are you going to do all day? All of the perceptions that you assume with choosing to focus your life on caregiving for a chapter. And meanwhile, on the opposite like days when I wasn't still consulting because I initially downshifted, I was meeting all these incredible women who were the women you assume like they were in New York. They'd built huge, wonderful, meaningful careers, and we're saying, you know what, I want to take a thoughtful pause and make room for family life for a moment, or I really trust my career to date, and I'm going to start to freelance or consult just to build in some more flexibility. And none of it matched this caricature that I was being served up of the stay at home mom. And I was looking around and there was a ton of traditional content around the working monther quote unquote, but everything had abandoned the stay at home mother in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 1: But did you did you really feel like there were professional women even in twenty sixteen. I'm not talking like fifteen years ago, but that many years ago that were openly saying I'm looking to take some kind of down shift for personal reasons.
Speaker 3: Yes, because I didn't feel like I heard that.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was because I was in Washington and in politics and you were You didn't exist if you didn't work in mean people that worked in different industries that live in Washington were like, yes, I was. What did my friend referre to himself as he said he was like mister cellophane in Chicago like everyone just like looked right through Hi because he wasn't important in politics. But so I felt like I didn't necessarily hear people acknowledging that you did hear it.
Speaker 3: I did, but you had to stop to listen to hear it because it was layered with a little bit of shame yet a little bit, but it was masked, I mean. And by the way, like one of my favorite anecdotes is I was sitting at a dinner and there was a woman I knew who worked two days a week, and I worked two days a week at that time, I identified with being on a posit or a downshift, and she was like, no, I'm a full time working mother. And it was and I was looking at her and thinking, we work the exact same amount, and we're at home the exact same amount. But there was a sort of veil of and I wouldn't say that she was intentionally masquading, which you know, her version of balance. It was she identified and didn't she identified with working out of the home, and she did not want identify with any sense of slowing down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear it is that she didn't want to lose that like the privilege of that identity, yes, of being a working out of home person person but whether it was mother or not mother, but like a out of home working person, she didn't want to lose the privilege of that identity.
Speaker 3: Yes. And so the short answer is there were incredible numbers of women who were already making room for family life. And what I will tell you also is what I was looking at was, if you go back to twenty sixteen, Pew Research was already saying this generation of women identify with motherhood more. There was a rise of flex work right like the wing work WRK, the flexible work marketplace, it was all on the rise. So I was looking at it saying, like, you're going to see an increasing population of women who have the access to be able to create a career on their own terms, and an increasing number of women who want to make rim for other priorities for a period of time. And so you know, I think a lot of it was the moment in time in twenty sixteen was it was this perfect collision of like me wanting my own space where I could start to string together a collective of women who are reshaping the narrative for my own sake to say, like, wait, there's like an incredible cohort of women that I belonged to, and also feeling like there was a dearth of any representation of anything that was beyond the prototypical.
Speaker 1: Yeah that wasn't like the black and white Yes, the working not working.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting over the course of doing the interviews and doing this show is that I anticipated that two points would be common that I would hear as like the intervening life event, like the personal thing that changed your perspective. I anticipated it being one having kids whenever you had them, although I do I definitely don't have exclusively mothers on the show, and the other being the pandemic as being things that really reshaped people's perspective in their lives.
Speaker 3: And what has surprised us as.
Speaker 1: We go through these interviews is more likely it's actually twenty sixteen and the election, the surprise that people felt in the election of Donald Trump and what they thought that meant for their own identities as women working out of home or not, and the country's perception like what was acceptable you happened to have had your son in twenty sixteen, which I also did, Was that a factor in it for you?
Speaker 2: At all, I've just heard that from so many guests.
Speaker 1: Do you think that, I don't know, change your perspective, but added to the perspective that you were as you were thinking about your change and identity.
Speaker 3: That's such an interesting part of it. I think that now you said that, and I've remembered this picture I have of my three best friends from home. So I'm really close to my friends from home, and they had all come. I was the first to have a child, and we have a picture of Bodie I'd brought like American flag balloons. We thought we were electing the first female, right yeah, And that was what we really believed, sitting in life the New York City Echo Chamber, and in that moment, I remember feeling the most feminist I'd ever felt. And you know so much of Mother entitled When we parse around where do the stigmas exist around quote unquote stay at home mother, one of them is around if you choose this, choose to pause, you are an anti feminist, which is obviously like a trope that we want to upend. Whereas I was feeling the most connected to women that I'd ever felt. And I think that to your point twenty sixteen was a feeling of banning to get other, wanting to do our part, believing so much so that my feminism was not dictated by whether I was working out of the home or in the home, but because I was part of this collective, collective voice advocating for what felt right for us and our families at the time. And I do think that collective power in twenty sixteen probably did help shape that that sense of wanting to be a part of it, wanting to explore it and pull the threads apart.
Speaker 1: I mean, you make a good point about what I considered to be feminism right now, I think as compared to what we had been taught as kids. And I think the way that our parents thought about feminism is that I just think generationally, I just think it's the way it had to happen. I don't know that it could have happened another way. Maybe it could have, I don't know. But the way that women went to work out of home was to emulate men, and so they couldn't show up in the workplace as anything other than I am showing up essentially as a man in a workplace.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yes, And you know, if you really go back to the history, because as I've been writing the book, it's been really interesting delving into it more of the origins of like first wave, second wave, third wave feminism. Women went into the workforce really during the World War to just fill the slots, and then it just exposed this, wait a second, we want to like stay in the workforce. Except at the same time there was this incredible push around advertising and the advent of television. We started to see these ads depicting the woman at home wearing heels, pushing a vacuum around. And what emerged was this like huge chasm, this power chasm between the woman in the workplace making money and the woman like teetering around in heels like serving up her like cocktails at the end of the day. And that power chasm never went away. And you know, the media really invented the mommy wars, like just because like media loves a moment where they can like pit two sides against each other, and so the mommy wars were like invented over the course of the eighties, and we created this power chasm that really like obviously had to close over the years because so much changed. Women had access to digital learning, so that they're able to like keep their hand in the game. They were like getting married and having kids much later, so their decrued education and work experience. None of the fictions around that, like ad with the woman pushing the vacuum in heels, actually existed, and yet we sort of inherited it and brought it with us and like perpetuated the idea of what was feminist and what was not right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now I feel like my acceptance, like my version of feminism is just to say, like, do what makes you happy. Like, not everyone's going to have the same model. In fact, nobody can have the same model as anybody else. But I actually don't think that the generation above us has an easy time accepting that because it wasn't the way for them.
Speaker 3: No, And I think that that version feminism had to exist, right, like second wave feminism has to exist to push women, you know, into a place of being respected for their contributions and their value in the workforce and the ability to advocate for equal play like all of that stuff that, by the way, is still we still need all of that. And so I think the generation prior would say, we aren't done. We're not done with that. Why are we like pushing choice feminism now is it going to unwind this? And I think what's interesting about feminism today is I don't think it's just about yes, we want the choice and like we should all do whatever makes us happy and strong and all the things we're advocating for the supports to be able to set us up for success on feminine terms, right, it's recognizing that we can't like we do birth children. Our bodies are actually constructed differently, and so the workforce and or like the way in which we approach work family has to align with the realities of what it means to be a woman, which means taking a closer look at what that is right. And so it's interesting because some of them when I first launched Mother Untitled, I did feel like a lot of women perceived what I was doing as in some ways traditionalist, when by no means, first of all, let me just say, like, I don't actually think choosing to pause or downshift your career at any point is the right thing for children and or the right thing for families. I think it was the right thing for me in that moment, and I think many women either because they can't offset the cost of child care and or because they actually want to be at home for a period of time, that is the right choice for them because it works for their families. But it's not. You know, there's proven successful outcomes for children and families no matter what, whether you're working in the home or out of the home or existing in between. But when I started, I think a big thought was, well, she's encouraging women to pause, And what I would say is no, I'm trying to create a narrative wherein if women choose to pause or downshift, if they they do step out of the traditional workforce for a period of time, they're not only respected and valued for the contribution in the home, but they're not seen as their brain dying. So that when and if they choose to go back, which ninety percent of women do and aim to do, when and if they choose to go back, they have an easier time entering because they're not ritteno off and counted out as like shriveling and like their homes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so funny you put that language saying to it, saying that it was seen as traditionalists because even though I was basically launching like a corollary concept.
Speaker 3: I think at.
Speaker 1: First I also saw it as traditionalist, and I was like, but wait, I want to talk about the workplace. And I think it was because I had such a hard time seeing myself. I think it's why identified with that story you were saying about the woman who couldn't see herself as not working. I couldn't see myself outside an identity as not a working person. And it had nothing to do with being a mother or not. I didn't necessarily want to be like a working mom.
Speaker 2: I just couldn't.
Speaker 1: It was too hard for me to accept my identity as anything other than a working person, and so no matter how much I was working, it was hard for me to give the same And I think I probably still struggle with this, but to give the same level of acknowledgment of like the work that goes in if someone is not doing any work outside the home and in any way like whether it's a little bit part time or full time.
Speaker 2: But I think I still struggle with that.
Speaker 1: I think it's so ingrained in my identity that the place that I find value is whether the work product that I create in work outside the home is valuable. Yes, it's so ingrained in me that it's very hard to view myself in terms of success, like being successful in any other way.
Speaker 3: I think it's the single biggest stumbling block for women when they choose to part with the linear career your track, even if they're not identifying with taking a full pause to be at home, like, even if they're doing anything apart from the linear career track that they were on. It's this idea of so much self worth is tied to our salary and our titles. And I mean that's the thesis around untitled with mother Untitled is this idea that when you step into this untitled chapter, we part with a lot of the ego and the identity derived from career ascension. And what does that feel like to exist in the vastness of the untitled space? Right? And by the way, the other part of that is the other part of untitled is the dismantling between the antiquated titles of stay at home and working mother right, and so stay at home you can understand why we would champion to start to blow the edges around that because it's so black and white, it comes with so many societal trips. But working muther right when you so closely ident What I'm hearing from you is you so closely hold on to like I am a working mother, that anything that is not that or that is working in other ways, whether you're volunteering or whether you're working in the home, feels antithetical as opposed to just part of an expansive identity. Yeah. Right, And I think that that is the really the opportunity for women right now is to exist in the gray, is to exist in that mast in between and say that way you're you're not confined to worth and success in one format, and your options are open so that you can sort of tap into what you need to make room for in that moment in time without penalty on the other side, Right, I.
Speaker 1: Think it's so they're so complimentary, like what you're doing and what we're doing with she Pivots, I always look I respect your work so much, and I always look at them as being sort of like two sides of the same coin. Like I feel like what we're trying to do with she Pivots is to tell the stories about the personal events that happens to someone that changes their perspective so that they can then find a different thing they create, whether it's a career, whether it's a business like whatever, maybe it's happiness in the same thing, but changing their perspective due to personal reasons and then finding something professional that comes out of it, like changing that narrative around that.
Speaker 3: And I feel like you are really sitting.
Speaker 1: In that place, like in that moment of the change, and specifically for mothers in the child here, and I think that there's a lot of debate around like, you know, should we have should we just talk about parenthood, should you talk about motherhood? Did we just talk about women in general? I get that a lot. We just did our first heap pivots, but you know, really, oh yes, it was our very first.
Speaker 3: Which is a gift, by the way, for men, I think the men need that permission. By the way, there's a rising stat around men choosing to positive careers. But I think men unfortunately are you know, feeling limited sometimes by the expectations of what that role is supposed to include being a male partner in a family, in a two parent households right, And so then when men find themselves at career junctures that we have a lot of discourse around, they don't have the same resources and conversation and I think that is one of the privileges of being a woman is that we talk a lot, especially I I mean, like we like to talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could do the show, maybe make it like a twenty four hour talk, then we could go all day.
Speaker 3: But I do think, like I think about for the male at home parent right now, there are you know, at least women who choose to pause or take a non linear path half your podcast. They have mother untitled that there's an absence of that. So I'm glad that you're doing my heap pivots. I totally agree.
Speaker 1: I think that even what I'm seeing, I feel like most people I know who had kids like pandemic on like in the last three years are gay men. Is most of the parents that I know, and of new parents that I know, and of the parents that I see of kids that are sort of school age when parents are starting to kind of like group off and like make plans, I find it hard for I think the gay dads in particular to find their pla because they just sort of don't naturally fall into any of the like very hetero categories of like the way that families tend to group. And so I think we do need to be intentional about this, And I actually try to talk about every time we have these like parenting talks, but like think about the makeup of the parents in your class, like how they naturally have these random encounters and like you know, how they'd get included. But you know, a part of the reason that I decided to only have women on sheep Pivots and even call it sheep Pivots well after I got the seasoned desist order, but then there was an intentional reason after that, and I thought I actually wasn't giving up that much, Like, yes, men need it, but I actually don't think men are evolved enough right now to be able to have a really thoughtful conversation about where they feel included excluded, how they think about their identities. Like I think most male conversations right now would unfortunately be a little bit too stunted. It would be like a real short podcast. So hopefully season ten of she Pivots is maybe it's a full he pivots.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Here's new ideas, because I agree with you the world needs it. The way that I ended up attacking it was by another article that I wrote called sensitive is the New strong thinking about raising our sons and looking at it from that perspective, Like we're always talking about you know, we've had these ideas that we need to especially if a child, but especially a son, is showing sensitivity, then we have to show them how to overcome that sensitivity. But I want my son to see his sensitivity as an attribute. Yes, yes, And then I think we can start to have a generation of men that will be thinking about talking about their feelings, how they see their identities. But like, we're of a generation right now like parenting young kids, like we can build them up from scratch, we have huge opportunity.
Speaker 3: You know, as you're talking, I'm reminded of one of the biggest differentiators of our generation of parents is just the intellectual nature of parenting today. Right, Like we talk a lot about the impact if you do nothing else and you're focused on raising your children right now and bringing love and care to that, you know, you're raising the love generation. And I think that a lot of the women that make up our community are very intentional, very conscious parents. Who really I mean is there is such a wealth of information, maybe too much information around parenting and this is the first generation of parents that have been exposed to that and are taking that in And whether you're focused on nutrition or you're focused on gentle parenting or respectful parenting, that is a level of intellectuality that is that is unparalleled with any other generation. And so it's both impactful and it's a lot more around self healing and self growth. And one of the things we talk a lot about, and this is another way women are, you know, an evolved species, is that when women step in to parenthood today, we're not only committed to how can we raise our children meaningfully, but how can we raise ourselves alongside? Yeah, and that is something really interesting when I think about, you know, the power you talk about the pivot. I talk a lot about the power in the pause and in the transition, and I think it's a lot of that power lies in the personal development that this sort of time and transition in our life is so so primed for.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to talk about that, that that power in that moment, because what's I struggle with a little bit sometimes and I think that.
Speaker 2: You I'm gleaning that you do too.
Speaker 3: Is what's interesting here is.
Speaker 1: That we're building businesses around not being in the business.
Speaker 3: We were in before. M m mm hmmm, mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: And so in some ways it's great because we can design the way we want to work and what we put out into the world, and it feels meaningful, it feels like culture change. But there's also a little bit of a tension around it.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. I mean, I said for a long time. So there is a great irony in building the first platform for women on career pauses and change the narrative around career pauses while being on a career pause. And so the thing that I have had to sit with and the discomfort has been not letting my pace outweigh my purpose. So I launched, I talked about having my son in twenty sixteen. I launched on January tenth or twenty seventeen, and I came out of the gateheard right like it was. There was a lot of quote unquote working mother communities, and I was excited about this little haven of shining the light on women who were making room for family in a new way. So excited about it. Twenty seven to teen to twenty eighteen, there was great sort of organic growth. I had my daughter in twenty eighteen, and where I'd perfected this like perfect two days a week. You know, I was consulting at the time and working on this platform. I had sort of thought I'd nailed it, and then I had my daughter, and it like up ended any sense of rhythm that I'd constructed. And so it was like I was hitting pause on pause, on pas on pause. And then twenty nineteen came and I was like, Okay, this is going to be the year. And then I had shingles, and then twenty twenty came, and then it was twenty twenty one when both my kids were school aged, and there was sort of this incredible divine timing where suddenly the world and culture felt ready to re examine work and family in a way that they hadn't right, and you talked about the pandemic being a potential catalytic moment for a lot of your guests, and so even though I started noodling on this in twenty sixteen and really putting it out of the world in the world, then twenty twenty one, in post pandemic, was really the moment I said, no, this is the time to step in and really drive this conversation. And it happened to align with personal timing too, but there was a lot of planting the seeds in the years prior and then when the timing worked for myself and my family, dialing it up right.
Speaker 1: Did you see specific moments of growth and like, okay, you have a significant following on instagramming that's probably where a lot of this kind of audience evaluation is coming from me. I remember, like you, doctor, Becky's often talked about, and you talked about it on this podcast, how she had went on Instagram like the day before the lockdown or something crazy like that was like her first video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it was.
Speaker 1: It was the perfect timing of everyone saying, oh my god, how do I deal with my kid when I'm locked in with them now? All of a sudden, like did you see specific moments or specific content that took off?
Speaker 3: So I do think it's funny because I remember she and I'm messaging back then and then popping back onto her page and being like what happened? Like weird? Yeah, I'm just like a little person again now, and she she I mean, her timing was fabulous, and I think twenty twenty one had a similar feeling for me, but it was twenty twenty two that I saw them like twenty twenty one, I you know, where I had been, like, I mean, if you're going to talk about it from Instagram numbers, I was like, had sort of just maintained from the time of my second daughter till twenty twenty one. And I think one of the big shifts for me was sharing content as I was like experiencing and living in the pause versus like, I've now studied this and like interviewed two hundred women and I'm going to start speaking about it as an expert. And I really shifted into much more thought leader content around and the reframes that you know are shared widely, and I think that that was the catalytic moment of growth. And I think it was twenty twenty two that I really started to share content around re examining our worth in sort of quantifiable terms, the worth of an at home parent, sharing reframes around how to think about financial interdependence, you know, with our partners. So if you're someone if you are the partner not working at home or sort of not working for pay versus providing unpaid labor in the home, how to think about that as like a financially intertebeddent organization as opposed to like, one of the unfortunate limiting beliefs is like I am now and dependent and that can feel really hard for an ambitious woman, Right, So that reframe really took off reframes around not feeling like you can't ask for help. I think so many of the women I've interviewed will say, like, if I'm not working for pay, I don't deserve help. So really challenging some of those false beliefs and using social media to do that and have a discourse about that, those pieces of content were shared and really helped grow the audience in a huge way. How do you sit with that exposure of vulnerability?
Speaker 2: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: I mean sometimes I have these vulnerability hangovers after probably conversations like this.
Speaker 2: So how do you how do you handle that.
Speaker 3: I'm more boundared than I think I appear, like, I really think that I have sort of key content pillars that I am really happy to have conversations about that I know are going to make a difference for the woman on the receiving end, right, Like, and if I can share about myself and like reflections I'm having about the nature of like let's take the pace, like knowing that I'm going to move more slowly today and that that doesn't mean I'm any less successful. That means I'm being deliberate and that I trust that process, right, Like sharing that is a personal reflection. But I don't share about parenting like. I don't share like I will never claim to be a parenting expert. I love parenting, I really do. I think I've grown tremendously in it. But I think I've made mistakes and I think i'm learning. I'm a consumer of other people's wisdom and I'm trying to do the best I can. But I do not talk about unless it's in the context of parenting is helping me and helps women grow themselves, and that's the ripe opportunity and career pauses, that's the power, that's the unlocked potential. So I really keep it tight as to what are the angles. I'm willing to share and explore. But I don't openly share about what it feels like to stay up at night worried about my child and something that they're going through, Like that's off limits to me and or my marriage and or my parents. You know that to me is irrelevant to community who's collectively exploring what it means to exist in the gray area of holding personal pursuit and personal ambition alongside motherhood and that constant recalibration. Well, Mylilah loves yourlila, so you're obviously doing a great job. And the parenting that's so nice. I hear good reports from there. But like you know, at home is always different. It's a different level of chaos.
Speaker 2: Oh god, the level of chaos.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you say that because I would think of you, you know, if we're trying to think about like a category, like I probably would have put your work in a parent in category, because those are the only categories we have. Like I'm thinking specifically about you know, when we're submitting podcasts, we have to check in boxes what are we are? And we never really know, like for she pivots, like are we in career, business?
Speaker 3: Are we in parenting? Are we in lifestyle?
Speaker 1: Like we're kind of at the center of all of them, but also a little bit none of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think the.
Speaker 1: Idea that you're coming at this only talking about the parent, like only talking about the mother and not talking about the impact on the child is smart, and you are creating a new category.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would actually say inversely, the child's impact and the mother, right, Like, I think the act of parenting is enriching. But I think it's interesting because with the book, you have to assign it categories, right, Like, there's a category, but it's nonfiction self development, right like it's and it's more in the career. You know. One of the big societal tropes, like the big game changer that we're trying to enact is that women on career pauses should still be considered career like it is one chapter of an evolving story of her career and she can't be counted out. And so it's actually like a lot of this work is keeping her confident and clear that this is one part of her story, and then from a larger macro level, shining a light on the gray area around her role at home, the ways in which she's volunteering, the way that she's networking and meeting incredible women that she's you know, at the playground, the way that she's taken an online class or freelancing, and so that side of it is just proactively trying to blurrow the edges. So that she has never counted out of the career conversation.
Speaker 1: Where do you think people generally find you? Like, do you know, like do you really have an idea? Like who you're speaking to? Like women who are thinking about taking a career pause, are they already in it? Are they trying to find their way out?
Speaker 3: So it's fifteen percent or fifteen to nineteen like fluctuates depending on the month, are like in the preparing Then there's a significant majority who are on the pause, and then the remaining is starting to edge their way back into freelance, consulting, small business, a lot of the gray. There's just so much movement between those, right, and then there's like ten percent that are returning to the workforce, like the's traditional workforce.
Speaker 1: What do you feel like people ask you the most They want advice.
Speaker 3: On how to deal with the stigma. Which is the harder? You know, it's both. It's both the thing I can probably speak volumes about right like, you know, because I had to do that personal work, and it's the thing that I like, I'm most committed to changing to a world. You know, we recently released the results of the AMP Survey American Mothers un Pause it's the first of its kind survey of twelve hundreds at home moms and then a thousand general pop and it was really centered around taking a closer look at this new woman making room for family life and from a general population perspective, we really wanted to understand perceptions. And what's wild is seventy eight percent of women say they feel completely misunderstood for their role at home. You know, that's the disconnect that we want to solve for because it's one part feeling completely undervalued for the contributions of unpaid labor. Because where that holds you back is then your ability to ask for help. And when you ask for help, then you help your mental health, you help your ability to stay connected to the workforce and other community contributions in other ways. But in the other way, like that misunderstanding makes very challenging for women to re enter.
Speaker 1: I want to get to that piece, the child's care, having whatever child care and support looks like in your family in different homes. I do feel like for me, I'm transparent about a lot of things. That's something that still feels too vulnerable for me to talk about, feeling judged in it or not judged in it or whatever the case may be, You've been quite open about it. Did that How did you come to being so open and how does it feel?
Speaker 3: I think I really feel committed to that transparency because I think it helps women ask for the help that they deserve. And I really do believe that it is I mean, I think I came to that conclusion for a few reasons. One because I didn't want to perpetuate this idea that I could create and build a platform like in the fringe Hours of motherhood. Yes, like that illusion, because you have to remember that there is a community. My community is mainly centered are on women that either have part time, very intermittent childcare or none. And so I never want that woman to feel like my day wasn't purposeful because I didn't share life five hundred i Instagram stories and reframs that are going viral like that, that isn't We cannot all share the same metrics of success and the same metrics of productivity in a day, but we certainly can't if we don't understand the other person's support system, right. And also I had to remember for myself in a personal experience, right because I had you know, I had sort of oscillating levels of care. Mostly not because I have the privilege to be able to have childcare if I want it. I really just don't like people in my space, Like I am like a very classic only child, and so when I'm with my kids, I want to be with my kids and I don't want anyone else around. So I always it worked for me to have two days of childcare, sometimes three afternoons of childcare, depended on the on the phase we were in, and I would look around and think, like I could be doing more, I should be doing more from other untitled and I had to remind myself but like, I don't have the support to do that right now, and I will one day one day, and I'm in that day right now. One day my children will be at camp from nine in the morning till four thirty and I will have that time. But it was really important for me to remember and reflect on that myself, and to make sure that other women weren't comparing themselves to me. And how do I feel about it after I share? Sometimes I feel nervous. I feel nervous that someone's going to turn around and be like, and someone did say this, well, you're not truly fully an at home parent because you have you know, X amount of hours of childcare, to which I would say like great, because I'm trying to dismantle the trope of like a black and white nature of an at home parent. You're right, I'm somewhere in between, and I'm so lucky to be able to do that.
Speaker 1: And I think it does open up the conversation. I mean, we get this question a lot talking about people's pivot. Is there is a presumption that pivoting is a totally privileged opportunity. I thought going into the first season of this that that was a big priority for me to dismantle, and so we have had guests on that have used government programs, government assistants.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: We had one guest who was renting out a tent in her living room was an airbnb, you know, to be able to get by.
Speaker 3: She definitely doesn't have a problem with people in her space.
Speaker 2: That was like a whole nother level.
Speaker 1: I was really anybody on She's like, yeah, it didn't go long, and I do still I do still see it as a priority for me to have those stories on and continue to tell those stories. But I actually think that there is such an abundance of because it is the stigma, and it is societal of women who consider themselves professional and white collar and high achieving, who thought they had options, like the options are what make them anxious? Yes, Yes, because you always, like you said, you always felt like you were supposed to be doing more. You always think you're supposed to be doing more. That I when I think about this show as the opportunity for culture change by opening up and telling stories, I think maybe that's a more impactful path for us right now, like us being like you know, cheap hboits and the team.
Speaker 3: And I don't mean to say this.
Speaker 1: And to suggest that what you should be doing, you should be doing what you are doing.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I know what you're saying, and I it resonates because I do think often that is the pushback, right, and I will you know, I've sort of I have deep thoughts on that that I share about. But where I come back to is if you are in the privileged position to be able to do this work and shine a light on people navigating non linear careers and making the best choices for them and their family, and you can do the work of dismantling stereotypes and opening up options. There's a ripple effect there, and so I'll tell you also in the AM survey, three and ten women had to make the choice to pause their careers because of the cost of childcare. So yes, we often speak to and speak about the other seventy percent for whom it was the privilege to choose. But the ripple effect when we change the perception of the pause is felt by everyone. It's felt also by the women who don't get our right to choose. And I would say the same for you, because women come across men and women come across pivots for a whole onslot of reasons. But whatever the profile of the guests you have, you're shining a light on this very big, powerful moment where women are transitioning and it's unlocking huge amounts of opportunity and it's sort of you're infusing trust into that process that can be really hard, and that is felt by everyone. Right, Well, we actually haven't gone through your own personal story.
Speaker 1: I mean we did a little bit at the beginning, but like, can you give us like a little bit more background into the background that got you there? Also the fact that we went to college together but yeah.
Speaker 3: I know, but didn't know each other. Yeah, because and I really think this is why. So I guess the conversation starts with you know, I've been reflecting on why am I more risk tolerant because I to think that a fair amount of taking a pause and feeling so trustworthy of that pause comes with a sense of self trust, right and risk. I'm not going to discount that it and I think it came from when I was in I grew up in a very small town outside Boston. It was predominantly white, and I'm not going to go on like a big racial tangent, but I will tell you I did self sabotage, honestly in my teen years to fit in. I think I wanted to dismantle I was all about dismantling stereotypes even then, and I wanted to dismantle the stereotype of being an Indian girl. So I was like, Ah, the best thing to do is like tank my math grades, you know, or like party really hard, or do whatever. And I woke up one day it was the morning of my graduation, and I said to my parents, I don't know how I had this one moment of wisdom because I hadn't had many, but I came downstairs and said, like, if I go to college right now, I'd already been accepted. But I said, like, if I go now, this like path is just going to continue and I need to take a pause. And I went to India for a year. My parents were like, you do what you do, you you do whatever you need to do to get back on track. And I felt like breaking from the path was what I needed to return to myself. Like that trip started with like three weeks in the Himalayas. And I'm not outdoorsy, like I just like I claim to be many things, I'm not outdoorsy, except there was something about separating from everyone and everything and all the expectations and all the wanting to fit in that you come back to, Okay, what do I really like? What do I not really like? What do I want my life to look like? And that was a gift from breaking from the path. And I think that that gave me the trust to obviously replicate that experience in motherhood, you know, decades later. But in between I came back. I did go to college. I think I came back it to college with like a very renewed sense of ambition, like and I think I really went to college to just go, like I just wanted to get through it, and I got in three years started a career in advertising. I got lucky because I started in the advent of digital media, so like Twitter had just launched, and they basically were like, oh, you're twenty two years old, Like you seem like you know what you're doing, Like you should probably do this, and mom blogs was my beat, like that was what I was so hilariously, that was what I was assigned to work on, and I fell in love with women. I fell in love with digital media. My boss took me over to start digital strategy at a larger agency called Hill Holiday. So I got lucky. I got some like lucky timing, lucky breaks. Had a really nice career there, focused on mom brands, and I knew I wanted again, like a pause. I wasn't ready to part with the perceptions and optics like I wasn't I was still in my late twenties, like I wasn't about to take a career break then, But I did go to business school. That was my juncture, that was my train stop to surround myself with smart people figure out what came next. Came back and you went to like the top business school. I did, I di I did. It was the only one I applied to because I really did. I don't think advertising people usually go to business school, like that isn't a typical path, But I think Stanford is like really really receptive of that sort of unique, non traditional background. So it was the right school for my background and what I wanted to do. And I came back. I thought I'd be in the startup world, and then I had my son, and I think motherhood was sort of this incredible collision of two things. It was similar to business school a train stop to like surround myself with incredible people. And that's something I talk about all the time, is that, like I met some of the most diverse women across industries on the playground, like in baby classes, because otherwise I'd been in the lack halls of ad agencies. I'd met one specific type of person, one specific type of industry prior to that, and so it was a real opener and expander in that way. And the other thing it brought up was that time like back in the Himalayas and then teaching in India, where you know, when you're stripped away from other people's expectations, the ego of like trying to fit, you can really figure out like what really matters?
Speaker 1: Yeah, is there anything we haven't covered? We've covered a lot, We did cover a lot. What's the main point that you want to get across? What do you want people to know about when they hear about mother entitled?
Speaker 3: You know we really are like, yes, we're an oasis for women on career pauses to comment surround themselves with women that help them feel confident and still connected to their creativity and the opportunity and their career pause. But it's also above all things, it's a movement to change and dismantle the tropes around stay at home motherhoods so that women can choose to pause or shift and exist in this like vast gray area between stay at home and working mother so that we can make the right choice for right now and transition back to the workforce when we're ready.
Speaker 1: What is one thing that at the time you saw its like a real negative and now in retrospect you really see it as maybe having put you on their path.
Speaker 3: You know, short term, I'll tell you that in twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, it was really hard to look around and see the wing was blowing up. Hey, Mama was growing. You know, there were all these amazing women led companies. Obviously they've all had their challenges, you know, since and I wished I really saw what I was doing as big, and yet I couldn't make it big at that moment, right Like I was in the depths of postmarket and anxiety transitioning to two children, like sitting there being like I don't even know how to split my hours up in the day, let alone like run this thing alongside, And I don't think I would have sold. I wanted to write this book, The Power Pause. I wanted to write it back then. But if I'd tried to sell that book in twenty eighteen, it wouldn't I've sold.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Timing is everything everything. Twenty twenty two, they were ready, twenty twenty three, they were ready. I was ready, And so there's a lot around trusting timing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a important point that we should bring out more. I feel like, even when I'm booking guests for this show that if someone says no, like I don't take it as like a no forever and like, well our timing was off, like I'll come back to you or they come back to me, Like maybe I'm ready to have a different kind of guest on or have a different kind of conversation.
Speaker 3: Well, a different conversation because the conversation evolves, right, Like I think back in twenty eighteen, it would have been so personally rooted in living it. And for me now with sort of the plethora of women we've gotten a chance to interview on the site and profile, it's sort of opened up the angle and all the angles we want to cover and all the phases of the journey and the areas that women need support in a way that we're still unknown to me. And I feel like I'll just keep I think we'll all keep exploring it, like you're season ten. Yeah gonna look a lot different. It's called he pivots, like apparently we just announced it. Yeah, here breaking down. I think our husbands are going to be like the first ones on it, I know, except the first guess. I know.
Speaker 1: It does often surprise people find it. My husband was an army officer and.
Speaker 3: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. Yeah, my husband was an Army officer. He went to West Point, he served two tours in AREC, and now he just, like you know, gets by as one of the regular dads.
Speaker 3: I know, in a community where no one's in the military. I need to understand how you guys met blind date.
Speaker 1: We were set up on a blind date, and I was working in military personnel policy at the time, so it didn't weird me out that he was in the Army. I mean, he was out by then, but he was in DC. Yeah, Yeah, we were in DC. Yeah, there's so much military community in DC anyway that you're like a little more in it. But I mean, even when I told my friends from the Upper West Side of Manhattan that my new boyfriend went to West Point and was served in the Army, They're like.
Speaker 3: Oh, is he Like, is he okay? Does he feel like TBI? And so it kills a lot of people. I was like, no, it's pretty normal. Did he watch Homeline? Did he watch online? No?
Speaker 1: I just I know, I think he just didn't find an interesting. He has a very high tolerance.
Speaker 3: Like Chef's watching Bear right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, he has a very high tolerance for travel I would consider unsafe. He has a very high tolerance for them. Like right before the Iran deal, he went on a vacation in Iran. He said it was the best job he ever took. But he's like he went to Afghanistan for fun, like he was not deployed there.
Speaker 2: It's very high tolerance for that kind of travel.
Speaker 3: Where's he from? New Jersey? Oh, like all the adventurers are. Wow, the land of all the big adventurers. That is so fascinating to me. You know, Dan and I met and then our dating was transatlantic. Our dads connected us because they work together in the nineties. They connected us for work. This is biblical? Is it nearly? And our life was travel like, our dating was entirely travel. I think it expedites relationships. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Wait, so you go.
Speaker 3: Your dad's were set you guys up, but just for work. They set us have just for work. So Dan was in tech and I was a nondvertised I was on the digital side of advertising. They did not I mean, I'm not Jewish, I converted, as you know, and they, yeah know, his parents most definitely did not want us to be together. Oh really that was a thing. Yeah, yeah, no, that was a thing.
Speaker 2: How have you managed that?
Speaker 3: Well, I converted, So I checked that box and then I did a lot of therapy because as you can imagine, I mean, per like what I just said about my upbringing, I had all sorts of belonging stuff. So then I like one from like not belonging in like Waspy town in Boston, Like now I don't belong in this like very Jewish family. So you know, I did a boatload of therapy. And in the end, I think time is everything. Timing is everything, right, Like everyone takes an adjustment period, like there was a learning curve of like wait, this isn't going to disrupt our entire life, like she's actually one of us in like other ways, And I was like, no, oh, my marriage isn't gonna implode if they don't approve of like every single thing I do, Like this isn't like this is this is safe? Yeah? Time time.
Speaker 1: Nah. This has been such a great conversation. We really covered a lot of ground. My favorite kind decorating. On the next podcast, please please, we'll just do a house tour perfect.
Speaker 2: I hear those are big on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Oh really, I'm I'm still learning on video, so you can teach me.
Speaker 2: Well, we can bring house tours to podcasting.
Speaker 3: We're coming up with a lot of things for season ten, season ten, season eleven. It's gonna thank you so much for joining she pivots. Oh thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this candid convo episode of she Pivots. Check back in weekly for more conversations with inspiring women. To learn more about our guests, follow us on Instagram at she pivots the podcast. Leave a rating and comment if you enjoy this episode to help authers learn about it. A special thank you to our partner Marie Claire and the team that made this episode possible.
Speaker 3: Talk to you next week.
Speaker 1: She Pivots is hosted by me Emily Tish Sussman, produced by Emily eda Veloshik, with sound editing and mixing from Nina Pollok, and research and planning for Christine Dickinson and Hannah Cousins.
Speaker 3: I endorse t Pivots.