Speaker 1: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 2: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery players. Everything. Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 1: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 2: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game. That's all for now, Coach, one more question.
Speaker 1: Play the new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace made responsibly. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase plate or claim.
Speaker 3: My graduates from my school being forced back drop bag drop, Mike, drop back, drop drop.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, welcome back EYL Atlanta Headquarters. This is gonna be a special episode for a variety of different reasons. But you know, we travel around a lot. One of my favorite things to do when our travel is to eat. I'm a foodie, even though I'm a pescytarian. I don't eat a lot of food, but I do enjoy fool and I definitely love Southern cuisine. Soulful very important to me. Oh so, when we went to Houston. They told us.
Speaker 5: I'm not even sure how we actually got turned onto it.
Speaker 6: I think we visited the first time we went to Houston, and I think maybe Chris.
Speaker 2: Senegal was like, chrisentege, that's what.
Speaker 6: We got to check out this restaurant and we pulled up to it and the line was three blocks long.
Speaker 2: We're like, we can't wait, no line.
Speaker 6: We're not we're not fans of doing lines, and so this time nothing was to say Chouter.
Speaker 4: Chris, he made the phone for He was like, I'm taking out to the breakfast club. Breakfast Eat breakfast.
Speaker 2: Clus' man, I'm man.
Speaker 4: So Marcus Davis, the owner of the breakfast club, was actually there when we was eating. We had like thirty people with us and they was, you know, scarfing down.
Speaker 2: Their food service was immaculate.
Speaker 5: Yes, the food came out within five minutes.
Speaker 2: It was crazy. Never see anything like that.
Speaker 4: Within that he came, he introduced himself and we had a conversation and we were talking about a lot of things in business, real estate play. And then they would educating me like how he's more than just a restaurant tour He's an investor.
Speaker 5: The businessman does a lot of different things. So I'm like, we should definitely interview him. Yeah, so you know, put the request in, We get the interview and made it happen.
Speaker 6: Got a text message I said, let's do it, I mean, and we talked about a lot about people, you know, investing in their communities, a lot of people talking about buying back the block, and we spoke about that with Chris, and we didn't know that it was also happening in other ways, right, So like the restaurant business that after after night light night life business, it's a different way to own the block. So it's gonna be an interesting story, man, historic one, historic, one for the age.
Speaker 5: Yes, so this is gonna be dope.
Speaker 4: We're gonna talk about the restaurant business, were gonna talk about real estate, We're gonna talk about branding, trademarks all of the year above.
Speaker 5: So first and phone, well, thank you for joinings, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And thank you for having me. Brother. I am excited to be here with y'all. I appreciate the invitation and appreciate the opportunity, you know, or good or good And more importantly, man, I'm I'm as I told look as I told you when I when I saw you, you came to the restaurant, and I shook your hand like I was your uncle shaking you. I was like, hey, man, how you doing. You'll do it. I'm good. Good. He looked at me like, hey, But I was just genuinely excited man, to see y'all, because I was genuinely excited about you know this, this, this movement that that that y'all have been on the forefront of changing the dialogue in the barbershop and and and beyond.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that. Thank you so much. All Right, so let's get into this. So you've built a nice portfolio for yourself in the restaurant. I believe you have four storefront properties. Then you have a restaurant inside the airport inside the airport. Yeah, that I'm sure as a money maker. And then you have real estate places as well. So how what was your starting point into getting into the restaurant business.
Speaker 2: So my starting point for getting to the restaurant business man goes back to when I was a kid. My father, who was a huge inspiration in my life. He was an educated by profession, but he was passionate about two things, and he was damn good at both. Of them. One was music. He was a musician, and the other was food. You know, best cook I ever met. And he was the person that was responsible for showing me how to create spaces where people enjoyed themselves. So when you say, you know, ask me what do I do? I create spaces that facilitate memories and moments of fellowship. And that came from my father, you know, putting food on the stove and inviting folks over, and you know the laughter that occurs in your house from folks enjoyed themselves. And that was my interest into the food business. He had a side aside, catering business. First place I got hired, First place I got fired. Yeah, very important, both of them both important. Yeah yeah yeah, Pop Pop Pops fired me. So he had this catering business, right and uh he he did weddings and banquets and things like that. And so he would bring my brothers and I to go and work the events. And uh, working the event meant working the front side and the backside. The backside was all the prep work. The front side was putting on our bow ties and combo bums and survey. So one day I was slacking just a little bit and he told me. He warned me. He said, hey, you keep slacking, you're not gonna make the trip, which was which was kind of devastating because my cousins and my brothers it was fun, but we also made money paid us. Yeah. I didn't make that trip. He told me. I had to sit this one. I so, yeah, he fired me. I got it, I got it backed up. But go ahead.
Speaker 6: So you said your dad was educated by trade. He was educated by it, and I know you were educated by trade. Oh, so I get this question a lot. Yeah, it's like Troy, I know you were a teacher. I know you were teaching. Obviously you were a history teacher. They asked me all the time, like when did you know it was time to transition? How was that transition? So what was that like for you going from the classroom or were you doing both at the same time.
Speaker 2: So Noah wasn't doing both at the same time. The difference for me was I was in food before I went into education. Gotcha, I worked, you know after my father. I started working in food when I was fifteen, worked in fast food, worked my way up from you know, fries to you know, sandwiches to cash here to night manager to day manager, so on and so forth. Real coming to American Yeah, yeah, the whole, the whole shabank, and work my way all the way to you know, a nice position in the corporate office. With the corporate house. I said, I was a troubleshooter for a particular region. But nonetheless, when I when I left the company, I said, well what am I gonna do now? And I started teaching school. I went to the family business. Mom and dad both thirty year educators. So I went into the family business. But to ask you a question about when did I know it was time to go? I knew it was time to go when that that this ease started to set in right where I was not comfortable where I was, and I knew I was supposed to be somewhere else, and uh, there was a moment. Oh, speaking of real estate, this is how I found the location for the breakfast club. I was dabbling in real estate right when I left corporate. I left for a six figure job, and so when I went into teaching, you know, it wasn't a six figure job. So I had to find a way that I had to find a way to subsidize my income and I had to find a way to fulfeel that entrepreneur me. So I started dabbling in real estate, buying little pieces of property, putting my plan together on how many little townhomes and condos I was gonna build and how big I wanted the portfolio to be by the time I got to this age and when I could retire and so and so forth. Because if I was gonna be in education, you know, I had to have something to do. But I'm going through the newspaper. And as I'm going through the newspaper looking for spots, I found a spot for a restaurant, uh, and it kind of piqued my interests. Drove down and looked at it, talked to the lady, left work on my lunch break, talked to the lady about the spot, told I'd be back tomorrow. I went back to my office, pulled out a legal pad and wrote my resignation. I knew the menu, and I walked in that building and saw that space. So I went I went back to the office, pulled out a yellow no pad, and I wrote my resignation because you know, I saw the spot and I knew that it matched where I wanted to be and what I wanted to do as much. Don't get me wrong. I love the kids, right love. I loved teaching right But but but I knew, you know, deep down inside that that you know, restaurant was what my passion was. And I knew deep down inside that I was. I was an entrepreneur. And I can't cage an entrepreneur.
Speaker 6: So when you said something interesting during that, you said it wasn't where you were comfortable, comfortable in terms of fun end so it's comfortable.
Speaker 2: I'm not in my purpose. I'm not where I'm supposed to be. I know I'm supposed to be somewhere else, and I had to get to it, you know, Like I said, I knew, I knew I loved teaching, and I knew I loved the kids. Uh And as much as I thought about it as a career, the entrepreneur and me knew that I was, I had to be back out there just because you know that ADHD comes sets in and you can't sit still. You gotta you know, you gotta give birth. You're dealing with labor paints. Look, I tell you, after I wrote the Resigonation, that wasn't that wasn't the highlight of the story. It was a two year drought before I actually got to open the restaurant. Uh, and the time I quit my job, so I went a whole lot of you know, showing up at my mama house and my baby. Don't you think you ought to go back and get you man? Look that over those two years, my nickname had become Marcus gonna open a restaurant Davis. That's what the fellas called me behind my back, right, and and it was it was so crazy. I was I was out one day and I went to higher at the fellows. What's up? Man? So we talked and you turn your back and you walk away. And when you turn your back and you walk away and you allowed laughter? Was that me? Right? And so Uh, I just took it grain of salt and kept and kept it moving because I knew where I was gonna do, right. I knew it was taking a long time. You know, I quit my job eighteen months before. Uh, and it ain't looking so great. I've been turned down by bank after bank, investor group after the investor group. But I still believed in the picture that I saw the day I walked into that building.
Speaker 5: So how much did you bought a building for man.
Speaker 2: So that's a whole nother story because the original deal that we had ended up falling through, right because it was something in like a quarter of a million dollars uh in or in order to get that building, but because all the pieces didn't fall into together, ended up being twice as much.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, that eighteen months that's got to be tough, right, you left the position, right. Yeah, So now you're going to banks, but you don't have income to show them that you didn't get. So how are you approaching the banks saying that you know, I need this loan when you don't have the income to show them that you can.
Speaker 2: Pay it back? Because I had a great idea, That's what I'm telling the banks. Now, Look, here's one thing that that that I want to share. Right One, Obviously, the generational wealth in African American community doesn't exist the way it could A should a will in the future after eyl is done with doing what they're doing. But the idea that we didn't have, my father didn't have money to pass down. I found the things that he did passed down, Right, My father instilled three great things to me. One was, uh, save your money you know, be a saveror Two was because he didn't know how to he didn't know how to invest. Two was keep your credit clean. And then the third one was know how to bust your ass. You gotta work hard. And so those three things paid off for me. And so when I went to the bank, I had a seven hundred credit school. Right when I went to the bank, I did have some money stocked up in my savings account. But it still wasn't enough for them. It still wasn't enough for them, but they still rejected me. They still turned me down. And here's the crazy part. They were turning me down because restaurant has such a high failure rate. And I heard that speech over and over and over again. I got tired of hearing. I got so tired of here, and I went to find out. I said, let me find out what is it that makes because I'm sensitive. This is my industry, and why y'all saying my industry has such a high failure rate? And I bought it down to a couple of things. One is lack of capitalization. Right, a lot of restaurants failed because they started out underfunded. Second one is a lot of people go into this business because it's sexy and they don't have the experience to know how to work in this business. My approach to the bank turned different. I started going into the bank and told him I had done my research on you know why they were failing funding and experience, And I said, look, I got eleven years in this business. I've you know, turned p and ls from losing two hundred and fifty thousand dollars for a company to making that store profitable. So I got eleven years in this business, and you got a tank of money back there. We can solve this problem. Just give me some of them so I can open the restaurant. Yeah, he wouldn't. He wouldn't buying it. He wouldn't have it.
Speaker 5: So how did so? Eventually a bank loans your money. How'd you get the money?
Speaker 2: Now? Eventually a family friend. The most common way entrepreneurs African American get funded is that family friend. Law and a family friend who knew that I was on now a twenty four month journey, and I was that we were together, and then and his wife walked in and said that you're still trying to open your restaurant. I said, yes, mama. I was a nickname. I guess my mom still, well, you need to go in there and talk to Papa. I went in there and talked to pop. Paul said, I showed him my plane. Uh, he agreed to meet me at the location. We met at the location, and uh, he wrote me at check, what a bit chack? What did you see? Right?
Speaker 6: So when you saw it two years ago, you said, you walked in, you knew it. It was just the place I had to be. What were the characteristics that you saw that you said this is going to be.
Speaker 2: The place is one of the one of the common questions that I get on Saturday morning, Sunday morning, and the place is bumping, as you said, lying three blocks up the street. I'm often asked, and this is this is a point that that that you know, entrepreneurs have to have to get lines out the door, places bumping, And I get called up to the table and they say, baby, let me ask you a question. Did you ever think that this? Yes, I did. It got so it got so common that I started answering it before. And the reason I started doing that was because I wanted them to understand the power of vision. Right. So when I took that exit, I saw something completely different than the dilapidated building that sat there. It was run down, it was unattractive, it was in a desolate area. But that's not what I saw, right. I saw this nice esthetic. I saw this nice, bright yellow building. I saw on the inside where the dusty tables and cheers were in the torn out ceiling. I saw, you know, nice mahogany wood with colorful walls and paintings on the wall. And I saw people sitting in there, and I heard Miles Davis, I heard John Coltrane playing. So my response to that is, yes, I did think it was gonna happen. I saw you here before you got here, and so I shared with and so you asked about that twenty four months. The reason that vision is so important was because after being turned down by bank after bank, and that investor group after invest room, the only thing I had to hold on to was a picture that I hate in my head, and that's what kept me sane at night, and that's what kept me hopeful in the daytime.
Speaker 6: Hennessy celebrates those who never stop and never settle in there, never end in pursuit of greatness. Maurice Ashley lives this passion through his love of chess. He made history in nineteen ninety nine as the world's first black grand master. An inspiring story of intellect and brilliance. His ability to push the potential of his own mind to new levels of greatness is universally inspiring. Visit www dot Hennessy dot com to learn more about Maurice Ashley in the world of the mind. There are no limits, Hennessy. Never stop, never settle twenty one and over. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 4: So moving along as far as the business is successful, I would So you've been in business for two decades, but you said one of the main reasons why restaurants fails because cash flow and not being properly funded.
Speaker 5: Because it's ups and downs right right right.
Speaker 4: And you know you have to pay your staff no matter why. You have to pay chefs, no matter what. You got to pay the light bill, no matter what. But you might have a bad week, or you may have you know, some downturns, you might have bad weather. How have you been able to get those obstacles and still be profitable for twenty years?
Speaker 2: Man? Look, I tell you one. When I started the business, I made sure that I had money saved up, Right, I said, I want to make sure I have at least six months of rent in the bank, right, and I want to have some payroll stacked up because I didn't want to run in a week to week and I had already, you know, agreed what I was going to personally contribute to the to the business and that and that, and that went well for a while, but I did I did run into I did run into a wall at one point, kind of like the moment we have in right now, right, two thousand and six, Yeah, think about it. Two thousand and six, gas went up, right, the last two years of Bush. I'm not blaming him. I'm just giving you know timeframe. Last two years of Bush, gas went up, and the price of food shot up, skyrocketed. It was the highest food had been since the nineteen eighties. Right, So we had these transportation surcharges, right, We had We had food that calls there was outrageous. And the problem I ran into is that I couldn't move my prices up fast enough. And I'll never forget, man, I'm having I'm having, you know, a moment because this is this is, this is when I think, oh, man, I've been successful for five or six years, and it's about to something's about to happen. And man, I called one of my mentors who had been in business for thirty years Frenchish chicken. They ever, you know that long standing chicken business in the city of Houston, And next time y'all come, we gotta take it to get some go there. You gotta go, Okay, I gotta go. So I called him and I said, hey, I want to talk to you because I don't know how to figure this out. And he came in and it was a five minute conversation. Was less than that. He walked in. He said, first of all, stop always god damned crying. I can't hear what you're saying over there. I'm keeping it real. I'm keeping it real. If you ever had some long nights and days as an entrepreneur, you know, yay for you, but they come, they happen, and so uh, he said, you know, this is what you need to do. And he looked at the menu and he had me make the price to Johnson and I said, mister King, I can't. I can't make the adjustments that quick because I'm gonna run people away. He said, if you don't, they're gonna run away anyway, right, because your door's gonna be closed. So I learned the value blessing. Going back to what you're saying, So I from from that day forward, I never priced a grit or a piece of chicken based on today. I always priced it based on tomorrow. And then I moved from pricing for tomorrow to moving it to next month and next year, and today I tell entrepreneurs, do not be afraid to price for being in business next week, next month, and next year. Don't get caught where you have to catch up. And there's a whole lot to not pricing for today, right, there's a lot to it. It's a lot to pricing for tomorrow. That means not just having payroll, not just having rent, but it also means making sure that you have the right insurance policy for when you have things like hurricanes. We have a little thing called hurricanes down in Houston, right making sure that you have the right attorney on retainer. Because the insurance company ain't gonna want to give you the money that they're supposed to give you. You got to go and fight them. Making sure that you have the right CPA where your books are in order, so that when the disaster relief come, you can just pick up the phone or shoot an email to your CPA and say, hey, they say they need this, send it over to them. Right, So, all of those things come into play. And the other one, which is probably one of the most important, if there's one more important than the other, it's cash reserves. Making sure that you price so that you can save money. And if you price where you can save money when the days come where ain't no business, when the weeks come where you know sales are low, when the months come where there's a pandemic or an ice storm or what have you, you can keep the ship afloat during that time. And so that that's how I've been able to over the last two decades do that is make sure that we price accordingly and make sure we do the right thing with the resources that we are keeping the reserve.
Speaker 4: So when you say, don't price your food for today, prices for tomorrow, prices for next year.
Speaker 2: Food costs.
Speaker 4: We interviewed the entrepreneur that was in the restaurant business early on, and he was talking about food costs. He was the first person who actually explained and broke down food court when he was like the average entrepreneur, they selling fits sandwiches for five dollars and he's asking him why and he's like, I just think it costs.
Speaker 5: It should cost five dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, He's like, that's not really a set science and how to actually price it? Like, so can you explain, like how you evaluate food costs and what do you mean by price it for next year?
Speaker 5: Price it for you know?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, so that rules in restaurant, right. You know, you have a certain percentation that labor should be at. Some people say, oh, we're gonna be at about you know, twenty eight twenty five percent labor. Say we're gonna be at about fourteen fifteen percent food costs or you rent, those expenses should be no more than eight percent there. You know, different people have different theories on those numbers, but they fall within a similar range. Right. The science behind what you're asking about is making sure that you're not just trying to hit that number, but that you actually having enough to Okay, my general council costs X amount of year, right, which is X amount of month, right, So I got to make sure that I got enough to cover that. My insurance policy costs this much. I got to make sure I have enough to cover that. So whereas you might go in and do the price and just to hit that percent, but then you also go in and price so that you can cover those additional costs.
Speaker 6: One of the things he talked about too, is obviously when you build an establishment built by somebody that looks like us, as hiring people that look like us, right, And so I wanted to obviously everything that you just named, you've been through a pen, right, You've been through natural disasters, we've been through food.
Speaker 2: Prices going up. How has staffing been for you? Right?
Speaker 6: Having people to come in and go out that look like us? Because when we came it was like them, everybody's happy to be here. Has that always been the case or is that something that was trialing error and you have to figure it out how to get people that look like us.
Speaker 2: So those those are two separate things, right one one staffing like staffing right now is incredibly tough because the country shifted, right, the world shifted, and for those entrepreneurs who don't know, it's not going to shift back. So get out of that thought about you know, when things get back to where they were. It's not going back to what they were. Throughout the history of the world, when major shifts happen, they don't just go back. They go back ten percent, fifteen percent percent, but they never go back one hundred percent. Right, So we won't get back to what we were doing as a restaurant or as a country. Right from from restaurants to to you know, fortune five hundreds, nobody is going back to get you know, they had a million square feet of office space, right and when the pandemic hit, they realized, I don't need a million square feet of office space. I only need one hundred thousand or five hundred thousand. So they're not going to go back and get that million. Similarly, in every business, that's something that's not going to change. It's going to it's change forever. Right. So, But but in terms of people, you know, it takes time to build a staff, right, and building a staff you said everybody was happy. Building a staff means building a culture, setting a standard, setting expectations, and holding people to those standards and expectations. Right, So I don't I personally don't do you know, I hire managers, but I don't personally hire day to day. My managers do that, but they're charged with making sure that people who apply for this job understanding where they're coming to work and understanding who you're working for. Right when I did, when I did interviews, it was it was cold, but it was but it was it was real. You know, somebody come in and say I want to work here, and you know, we got articles on the wall and I would point to them, I say, look, you see all those articles on the wall. It's like, yeah, we have that already. We're known from the Pacific to the Atlantic. What are you adding to this? Right? What do you bringing to the table? And not only what are you adding to this? How can I trust you with these people who come in and inspect those things. So it's it's it's about setting the stand to making sure people understand, uh, the place that you work. I was saying that at at at the restaurant, it's the TVK way. This is who we are, this is what we're about, this is what we do, and these are the things that we do not do. Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: So you talked about hiring employees in an era where it's the great resignation and even now for jobs like you know, for the rest of our things in the nature, they can't fill them, right, Like those like jobs that's not paying a lot of money, that require not a lot of skill set. They're saying it's extremely hard to fill those jobs right, right, Like even for young people, they're just not working. I'm not really sure why, but they can't fill those jobs. So how have you been able to keep a staff and how have you been able to you know, handle during that time or has it affected you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I mean yes, I don't know anybody that hadn't been affected. How have I been able to handle one? I'm fortunate to have had long term team members, right, I've got folks that have been with me four or five, seventeen, fifteen years, right. So I have a core group and the goal is to just build around that core group. The core group understands who we are, what we're about, They understand the TBKA, and they have the responsibility of making sure that the people that come aboard protect who we are and what we're about. And that's you know, one of the things I share with my team is, you know, I'm quick to tell a team member how this is impacting you. You think that Johnny not doing what he's supposed to do just affects Johnny. Then you're solely mistaken. If you, as a teammate, don't hold your teammate responsible for running the ball, for running the play, shooting the shot, for you know, running the play that we're supposed to run it, then we don't score. And once you communicate that to them, then they start to take ownership. Additionally, you know, my team understands I'm here with y'all right now, I haven't I haven't fried a wing or stirred a grit in quite some time now. And I make sure that they understand that when people show up for three block long lines, that they're coming to see the work that they are producing. It's not the work that I'm producing, right, And so I get them to take ownership and pride in the work that they're doing. That people are coming and waiting and sat in the line that they heard about. They're coming to see what you did, so show up, show out.
Speaker 6: So let's talk about that. So obviously these lines every time we go, Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: They came because they heard y'all. Was kind I put it out there. I was like, why hellas coming? There's a rumor that they're in sound life. It's but I did it always start that way? And what was the marketing behind it? To me?
Speaker 6: Right, souse, you're talking about twenty years in business to have that type of reception.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a landmark. Now when we go to Houston, it's saying we have to go there. You have to go there. And so what was the marketing behind it to get people to come? Well, we know what. It wasn't right. It wasn't Twitter, right, it wasn't Facebook right, it wasn't Instagram right. I liked I like to brag a little bit, right, I like the Jack cast. Hey, that's cute what you doing? I like it? Keep doing it. But I did it before we could reach you know, people across the country with a single stroke of a thumb, right, right, And so man, it was straight up guerrilla marketing, bro, it was straight It was straight up gorilla. My first day opening, I had a habit of getting out in the street my day opening. This is true. So this is what I did. I had flyers because I didn't have I didn't remember. I told you that my family and friend lost some money. Right, it was ten percent of what I had projected this to be I built. I put up you know, a two hundred and fifty thousand dollars project costs, right, and we started with ten percent of that if that right. So there was no money to do the build out. There was no money for this major marketing plan. Uh. The buildout was done by me and my friends, me and my homeboys. Right. I got to pitch in my office, me and my mother building a table together, pitching my office, me and my homeboy painting a wall together. Right, And I'm I'm sure that y'all have had times where you know, people kick in and for the costs, and so that that's how it started. So we didn't have the marketing budget. So I had, you know, I remember my business plan, business plan important. I remember my business plan talking about you know, advertising on the radio, advertising the newspaper, how much I was gonna do that. All of that was a wash. What I I had to do the start this thing was I printed up these flyers and at the corner of Alabama and Travis. I picked this location because when you come off the highway, it's the entry way into downtown. And so when when people will stop at the light, I would go to their car and panhamd them, try to sell them some grits. I'm shoving flyers in in your wonder, in your wonder, in you wonder, and I'm you know, I dart across the street before before the light changed. Then from there I went back in the restaurant and I gathered these. Uh. My nickname was the muffin Man in the in the neighborhood, right in the in the in midtown because I would get these muffins and I would go from business to business, knock on the door and then introduce myself right and drop off some muffins so they can know who we are. Left a little something some for So I mean that that that was. That was honestly the organic. Uh. It was a lot of grit. It was a lot of grind and his the thing. So, yes, we have Instagram to day and we use it. Yes we have Facebook today and we use it. Yes we have Twitter and we use it. But I don't dismiss grit and grind at at at any time because I think you know that sheer hustle uh is a compliment to the social media.
Speaker 6: So was there a moment that somebody came and that changed it, like was it a local like Houston celebrity tent that came and it was like, now this becomes a place or just it just built over town.
Speaker 2: J Princeburgh, he came, all I got a funny story about about Jay. Right, Uh, I pitched I pitched my business plan to Jay. Yeah. Four it is before. That's a whole nother story, and that's how. That's how. That's that's how Jay became. Jay and I became friends. Right. We built a relationship over time. Uh. And you know he would always tell me, man, I showed Hey, I didn't get in on this. What he saying when you pitched you? Oh? Man, you know what, it's crazy because when I pitched you to him. I mean that's it's a longer story. When somebody introduced me to Jay and we met, we talked, He came to the building and the whole time, my mind has just blown. Right. He was like, yeah, I'm gonna meet you. So he met me. Mem me solo showed up. I gave him walked and walked it through. He liked it. He actually liked it a lot. That was some other things that came that came up during that time that he had to handle, and you know, we decided to call it a day. But Jay was one of those people that when I said I got turned down, that was one of those turndowns. So but but but you asked, what was that moment, right, I can't say, you know, a single moment. I can't tell you. I can't tell you one one big moment, right. And it's going back to that guerrilla tactic, right and not having because my goal from day one was to be known as a national eater. Right in two thousand and one and ninety nine when I wrote The Big Playing, the goal was to be known nationally. Even though there's not a path there's a path forward today for that. Right. Matter of fact, if you out there and you're doing something good, and you're doing something well and you're not known nationally, you're not known across your state or across the region, then something you're not doing right. Because it's so much easier and have so much access to everybody. I mean, social media has just really changed and opened things up to where I don't have to think solely about marketing to the people around the corner, of marketing to the people up the street. But I can deliberately market to people in Atlanta. I can deliberately market to people in Dallas, San Antonio, uh, so on and so forth and so but but back then that didn't happen. But I still had the desire to be naturally known and I had to figure it out. So this was one of the things that I did to figure it out. Uh. They used to be you're familiar with Tom Joiner right, had the hottest radio show on Earth right, And I was like, man, I got to get on a Tom Join and warning show. Get on that. I ain't got Tom drying to show money though, so I can't, you know, I can't just write a check. So they did this thing called a sky Show where they would travel from city to city and it was a big deal. Right, they go to each city, everybody would come and you know, they played on the radio. And I looked on the thing they said he coming to Houston. I was like, I gotta get on a Tom Join in the morning show. What am I going to do? So I went out and I dial in Houston is one O two, right. So I went out and bought one hundred and two Neon yellow shirts with with our logo on now got up at four o'clock in the morning to go out to the the to the coliseum where they were and passed out one hundred and two shirts. Hey, put this on, put the phone, put this on, and if I see you on this side with the shirt on, free grits on me. When we get back to the restaurant. And when we got in the and we got in the auditorium, got in the coliseum, it was, yeah, there's five thousand people in there, but one constant throughout that room with five thousand people, it's these little yellow specs And it caught the attention to one of the dj It's like, what these yellow shirts? One of them got it. It was a dance competitions. One of them was on the stage with the dance competition. One of the DJs mentioned, next thing I know, we're back at the restaurant at the end of the show, and all those people I promised chicken too. They showed up and that that line was out there, and I was like, we got to feed them. But it paid off. Why because one of the guys who was on the on the show ended up walking in the restaurant, sitting down eating eating some chicken and grips next thing. You know, Tuesday morning here on Monday morning here on the air, It's like, man, I had the best chance of the brine. Man, I had the best fried chicken in Houston ever. You see what I'm saying. Yeah, so you know that that was that was That was a moment, but it was it was. Yeah, there's a stroke of luck that's involved in that. But you know, luck ain't worth nothing if you're not prepared for the moment. You know, I could have just waited and said, well, you know when it gets to come to come, I hope it happened. Nah, it's faith, man, you got you. It's fading and busting your ass. You know, you gotta you got, you gotta at the working and you got to be courageous about it. I have a stick on my in my office on my deck behind my desk that says build a courageous company, right, and it just simply means be willing to do the wild thing that will wild folks, Right, those crazy ass ideas that you come up with. Did you think, like, hey, man, I heard Eyl come to town. Let me call get see if they want to come to breakfast, Right, what's gonna hurt. Right, you gotta be courageous and in your effs as an entrepreneur, because if you're not, I can guarantee the result of courageousness won't happen. If you are, then the result can.
Speaker 4: And one of these things where you got to create a spectacle at all times. And talking to grend card Dome and he was telling us like he has a truck, like eighteen wheeler and he was seeing the truck caught on fire and they called him and it was like frantic, like you know, the truck caught on fire, like everybody's panicking, and he was like, tape, it's good content, make a.
Speaker 5: Movie out of it. And it's like just the idea of everything.
Speaker 4: It just has to be done in grand fashion because people remember myths and people remember stories. And then that hundred shirt in somebody's mind. They said, that's a thousand people right in somebody's mind, Like you know what I mean, urban legend, Yeah, exactly. Once you get the urban legend, it's like it's like a snowball event.
Speaker 2: It was I wish I had known that about when my truck burned up.
Speaker 6: But it was it was the free part too, right, the free food. Yeah, And it was crazy because I just seen Waller pull something about having free right and he had the TEDx talk and they said, you know you're new, we can't pay you for it. Let's do it for free, right, And so we did it for free, not knowing that that Ted talk would be the one that sparks his career. And he's made so much money off of doing that free event. And so now you have created a line of service giving off free chicken.
Speaker 2: I was wondering, we didn't see any yellow shirts at the EYL but I was there, though I was there. Hey, but look but that but that's a philosophy man, that that that that's permeated the rest of the business man. I listen, here's a little nugget, right, as an entrepreneur, when you have knee jerk reactions, I'm not telling them be anybody to be undisciplined or irresponsible with them with their money, right, But when you're too afraid to lose something that you hold, hold, hold, I guarantee you're gonna lose something. Right. So let's take a common occurrence that happens in the restaurant. I probably shouldn't say this on TV. Let's take a common occurrence that that happens in the restaurant, right, you know, when when when guests come in and they are trying to get a little something extra. Here's a rule if you if you're in the restaurant and you say I ordered this and I don't see it, I'm not about to We're not about to go back and forth. The most important thing is you wanted grits when you got in the store, and I want to get them to you. We'll worry about whether or not you're getting in that five dollars and eight or seven cent later, but right now you need to eat now. You know, somebody come up and say I want to pay for my grips. But if I would hell that from them, and it's the reupted them, why because I want to hold on with the grips. It's not that serious.
Speaker 4: So you're saying, like, if somebody comes, it's like the muffins, right, those muffins don't don't expound on it.
Speaker 5: I have it so when you first, but it's like it's like the muffins, right.
Speaker 2: You know, I had to graduate from giving away muffins to then I started taking food to the businesses. Right, So I went from from taking muffins from business. Bit. I had a little map of the of Midtown. It's six streets this way, it's eight streets this way. And one week I go up and down these streets. The next week, I go up and down these streets. But they got tired of the muffins, right, The muffins wasn't bringing them in no more now. And then I started taking them grits, right. And you're like, oh man, you giving away food. You got to give him something to get him in the door.
Speaker 6: Simple, simples, simple, simple.
Speaker 5: So when you first started, you had a business.
Speaker 2: Partner, you know what. So my, my, my angel investor came on, right. That was my promise to him. If you if you do it, then you know you can come on and come aboard. And he was adamant that I'm no, I'm retired. I just want to help you get started. And so he helped me get started. And once it was the craziest thing ever. Man, Once we got busy, he pulled me outside. We're on the sidewalk. He said, all right, you up and running. Put something on paper, give me mine, put a little some on top. Call of the day and his goal was just to see me. He didn't have an interest in so.
Speaker 5: He never wanted to be like a invested partner. He just wanted you to get up and running.
Speaker 2: Just wanted his money. That it goes back to that conversation we had on the couch right where he just goes back to the conversation that that that that his wife had with me in the living room, which was you're still trying to do that. Let me let's let's say a poppul can help you. The rest is history, you know, and and and you know, one of the things that that and that's that's why I'm excited about what you're doing, is because y'all creating more ways for people to start investing in businesses. Right, It's one thing to invest in the stock market, but when we moved that into investing in entrepreneurship, when we would man everybody from Malcolm to Marcus Mosaic Garft to Martin King talked about the importance of building businesses in our community. Each of them listed that as a cornerstone to liberation from opressure. And you know, Malcolm Win as far as saying, if you are if you are not building your own factory, creating your product earners. What's up?
Speaker 6: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, But understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 7: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need in industry.
Speaker 2: Then you have no reason to sit in front of the white man and ask him for something else, or demand or tell him what he's not doing when you yourself have not built it in your own community, when you have the capacity. Marcus Mosiah Garver was a great example of it in the early turn of the century right where built everything from Blackstar line to I mean his brother is selling stock and shaking shipping companies, and I mean it's just amazing, outrageous things that he was doing. He had big vision, you know. Malcolm followed it up by talking about the importance of being involved in industry in your community. Martin the night before, if you, if you, if you haven't get a chance to go back and watch the last the last speech of doctor King the night before, he was murdered, not not not a week, not two weeks, not three weeks. Go back and watch the very last speech to doctor King Gay before he stepped on that balcony the next morning. In that speech, he said some of the most courageous things. One, he told black people the power of their money and stopped giving it. He stood on the stage and said, don't spend your money with Coca Cola, don't spend your money with Heartspread, don't spend your money. He listed out companies because those companies weren't doing right by the African American community. Right. But the flip side, the flip side is when he said, not only that, go take your money and put it into Try State Bank, which is the black bank that was in Memphis at the time. Go out and put by your insurance with these insurance companies, these black owned insurance company. Martin was advocating for us building ourselves as a people by opening businesses and by putting our money in our business.
Speaker 5: That's why he got killed.
Speaker 2: That's why he got killed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's more dangerous than trying to integrate schools.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It is, listen. Integration. Integration is a valuable to right. You know, you have this debate about integration and what it did. Right, you have to see integration as a tool. Imagine it's a hammer. A hammer can build a house, a hammer can tear a house down. Integration is a tool that we have to make a choice on how to use. Integration didn't mean I can go to this restaurant, so I'm no longer going to that restaurant. Integration meant I now have the privilege of not being treated inhumanly by turned away at the door. But I'm still going to build a businesses in my community with me. Yeah. Yeah, And that's why, you know, that's why I'm I'm an entrepreneur that happens to be in the food business because I believe entrepreneurship is important for two reasons. One, it is the path to get in the foot of the oppressors, the foot of oppression off of my neck. Two, I believe that people suffer from disease if they're not doing what they're supposed to do with their calls to do with they were meant to do, what they were made to do. And I think entrepreneurship is our ultimate emulation and imitation of the creator. Think about it next, to childbirth. Entrepreneurship is that you are creating the way the Creator did. You're bringing something into existence that did not exist. And the truth be told is it was designed for you to do. And when you don't do it, then you are going against what the universe has you here for. And not only are you going against what the universe has you're here for, you are creating disease in yourself. But in addition creating diseases in yourself, you are depriving someone else of the gift that you were supposed to bring into the earth. And if you think about it from a standpoint of nature, trees don't inhale what they put out. We breathed that in bees don't eat what they pollinate, eat that the universe needs them doing their part. The sign doesn't benefit from vitamin D. We do it, puts it out, we receive it. So whatever gift the Creator is given you, whatever dream the create has given you, whatever he's putting your heart in your head, you have a responsibility to the universe to bring that into fruition. Prowf word prof for word. Living in the dream that makes doctor Martin Luther and.
Speaker 4: The King's the only way So let me ask you this as far as the real estate, because you own a few different locations, So talk about that. How you expand it and do you own do you own all of those properties or some.
Speaker 2: Of those some of them will do some of them with pieceing together. The goal is to make sure that the whole thing is under one umbrother. But like I said, you know, for those who are trying to decide between lease and and and purchasing, you know they're they're there are locations that are good lease locations. Right. You can't turn away a space just because it says, uh, it's it's the least because it may be on the corner of what not in what had and it's a thousand cars going this way every hour and a thousand cars going this way and out, and you might just have to take that right. But the other part of it is, you know, if you if you're in the food business man, you have the opportunity today. The way I look at it is, you know, I have the opportunity to acquire assets. The company acquires assets that the grits can pay for, and that's that's the mouth, right, look for what the grits can pay for we look for what the grits can buy because at the end of the day, when there are no more grits being sold, you know, the dirt's still there, the assets are still there.
Speaker 5: That's like we in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: So we had interview Kenny Burns a while back, and you know, he's nightlife champion. He was talking about ag Alex was a legendary not our dialex, but there's a legendary promoter in Atlanta. And he was saying he was like the only one that really owned the club Compound, like any different things the nation. And then I recently heard that he sold Compound for a crazy amount of money. And but I say that to say it's like, think about how many party promoters and how many people had it, but they got money, but it was quick money, right, he actually.
Speaker 5: Owned the club.
Speaker 4: So now when the party's over, right, because the party always ends, it's still prime real estate location right now. Those real estate developers, it's like, all right, we want this land, Well how much is it worth to you? So now he probably made more money from the cell of that land than he ever made nightlife.
Speaker 2: He can he can make money selling the land. He can also make money leasing the land. I had a guy who had a popular restaurant in my first two years of business. He had a spot that was that was the spot, so old the guy and he was sitting at my restaurant one day and he was sitting at eating and I went over to talk to him and I asked him, said what you're doing now? He said, eating grits and collecting rent. I was like, what happened to the restaurant. He was like, yeah, I'm out of the restaurant, said I did it for thirty years. I'm done. But now at least the locations that I used to run as a restaurant. So with your real estate, you know the story of of Ray Crop. Oh yeah, know so you know when he asked the Harvard the urban legend or not, you know, sitting around at a dinner with the Harvard students and asked them what business is the in and they laughed and said, you're in the burger business. And explained to them, now I'm in the real estate business, you know, and and and and whether it's real estate or not, whatever business you're in, you know, gaining assets right overliability, by the way I did it, by the way, you know, it's crucial.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was talking about the proximity of the properties that the other assets that you required, because I know, we got the breakfast club, but then across the street, you know is that the is it the nightclub?
Speaker 2: So the uh the uh got the restaurant. Then across the street I have an office space. Then on the backside I have I have a bar. And like I said, some of this mix and match, some of this stuff is is you know, it is under least some of the stuff you know, working on the acquisition we got. Our future for acquisition is bigger than our current so right you know, right now what we're working on is bigger than what we currently do. Yees, So that's what I'm looking at it.
Speaker 6: I'm like, all right, well and again we saw Chrisina say let's own the block. But now from a standpoint where you have a couple of different assets on the block, but it speaks to expansion. So this is another thing that entrepreneurs try to figure out is when is the right time to expand? And so for you, as you're building, you know, bringing the money that the grits is taken in, when did you decide all right, let's have expansion and have some more of these locations.
Speaker 2: So, man, the right time to expect So those are two different things, right, The right time for expansion in your restaurant really depends on where you are in your maturity in the restaurant, right, where you are in your system, your systems, your systems, and that is that is so crucial, whether you whether you're expanding or whether or not. It is incredible. I mean, it's incredibly important that you have systems in place that the machine is running the way it's supposed to run, right, I mean when you turn the call on, right that that thing everything fires and does what it's supposed to do, and that's the way. That's the way the business is supposed to be. Of course, these are people, you know, it's humans, so hands involved, so you're going to have your hiccups, ups and downs. But the goal is to have a standard and a set of systems that in place that allows you to function in what I call my recipe for success, uh quality, product, quality, service all the time. Right, So when folks are talking about, uh, you know, what how do you what advice you have or what how do you you know, guide people towards success or how did you become successful quality product I I do not compromise on the quality of product that I offer, I guess, and this is not just about food. This is in any business that you're in. Right, if you're offering a good or a service to the marketplace, you should do your best to make sure that it is of great quality. Going back to the price and think, what made me feel comfortable about making those moves that we discussed was the fact that I know that I'm not going to buy a product that's inferior just because it's cheaper. Right, I know that I'm not going to skimp on something. You know, you bring a new product to me, you got to convince me that it is the same or better before you talk to me about the price, Because if you come in just talking about the price, that's not important to me. It is important after I know that it is a quality product. It is important after I know that my guests are not going that we're not going to miss a beat. Right, Then you got quality service. You got the folks who deliver that product making sure that they are as pleasant and as positive and as you know, as what you said, everybody was happy, happy to be there, happy to be there as you possibly can. And the last thing in that is making sure that you do those two things every time you unlock that door, because if you do the two things once or twice, it's not sufficient. You got to make sure that you are consistent. And if your goal is consistency, it's a good chance you're gonna meet Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, if I'm an entrepreneur about to start in the restaurant business, I'm glad you brought up systems because I want to talk about that.
Speaker 2: What are some systems that I need to have in place to be successful? Oh? Man, systems that you're in place. You need standard operating procedures, right, you need everything from scripts to recipes. And when I say scripts, what is the role of what are the positions and what is the role of each person in that position? Right, I mean down to the the repeat verbage, down to it's not a being unauthentic. You know, there's some things that that people who've been with for a while, they have their own way of adding their flavor to it. But the meat got to be there, the core got to be there, right, So you know, making sure that you have your positions, making sure that you have the details of what each position entails, what role they're playing. Then in the back, same thing for the kitchen. But that's where uh the recipe comes into place. Making sure that you have recipes and that they're that they're followed, right, and that's so crucial. Let me tell you how big I am on consistency. I told you my dad fired me, right, and I told you I got him back. So my old man, best chef I ever met, right, my man was this I big. This is what I think of my consistency and why I think is important in business. Uh, my pops who was who was a great cook. He was making uh, some dishes for us for us to start serving. We were making these green beans, and one day he changed them up. I was like, Pops, those are delicious, but they're not the same flavor profile that the guests had last week. You know, we you know, we can run some specials, but if this is our standard every day dish, then it has to taste this way every day. Right. Then we got we got into it one day because we're coffee shop, right, we serve all of the the latte is, the mocha's, the caramel and machiato's all that this stuff. So my pops was making this drink one day and this lady came in. She said, I want Carara macato, but white raspberry mocha, but I want him to make it and me being big on because that's how that's how I cut my teeth in corporate, making sure that we followed the rules, making sure that we followed the steps. So that's what I was trying to bring to my community because I knew in my research that was something we lacked. Me going from restaurant to restaurant to restaurant in you know, the late nineties, looking at our restaurants and trying to find out, how can we bring something new, something better, something different to our community. Because let's just tell the truth about it, right, restaurants had a bad rap in the African American community, and I wanted to I wanted to put a din in that, right. I wanted to be I wanted to be on the front of changing that, at least in my city and beyond. So everything that I did for corporate, that was a one I wanted to do it for my people and so consistently was part of it. So I told the lady, I said uh, Now, anybody can make it. We cooked I had a saying we cooked by process, not by person. Right. That means that anybody can make this dish as long as we have the training, We have the the procedures in place. So she gets her drink and she goes over to the table and she said down. And I walk over there with my chest out and I said, how it takes. She says it's good, and I said, but what it's good? But he makes it better. So I went I said, Pop, so are you changing the recipe? And he got a little you know, a little high way. I mean, he was like, I know what I'm doing. I was like, yeah, buddy, we follow recipes and everybody that's gonna be here has to follow recipes. And if they not go follow recipes and everybody can't be here. He said, you fire me. I said, everybody that's gonna be here, go follow the recipe. And if they're not following the recipes, they can't be here. Now here's here, now here's here's Here's where you learn. Because there's one thing to be stirring on your rules, but there's also another thing. Like in King Richard, he said, I wrote the plan, but he was willing to look whether the plan could be better, could be enhanced. So I took what he was making and sample that I compared to what we were already making. What he was making one so guess what that was the new recipe. But everybody had to follow that couldn't go back. So over right, quality product, quality service and doing that all the time is incredibly important.
Speaker 4: So how do you keep the culture in the workplace where people are enthusiastic to work and they're happy.
Speaker 5: And that's a big part of like, you know, I think a successful business it's like to have, Like you go to Apple store and it's like, you know, it's a cult.
Speaker 4: They created a great culture. How have you been able to keep that culture going?
Speaker 2: So if you work for Apple, you like I work for Apple, right, you know you work for them, you know you work for a great place. That's the same thing we try to create. I want people to know and understand they're working at a great place. I want people to know and understand. That's why it's hard. That's why it's so credibly important that you protect the brand right, because you don't want it taint it. You want people to understand it I like when people say you work at the breakfast club, right, because that and they like it when when people say that right. So that's that's one way let them know that the place that they are part of has value too. You continuously remind them, as I mentioned before, continuously remind them that they are adding value. You know, as I mentioned I'm start of grid in a minute. They do, and so I continue to remind them that it's their work that the people are lining up three blocks to see, right. I continue to remind them that, you know, I think it's important that your team understands how this works. When you get your paycheck on Fridays, it's not coming out of your pocket, right, it's coming out of what you've produced that goes to the bank that then filters into So I communicate to my team that, hey, guys, these people are walking through these doors. They help us pay our rent, they help us pay our mortgage, they help us put food on our table. And when you communicate in that language, I think it resonates differently. So One, make them understand that they're part of something good. Two, make them understand that they are adding value to this good thing. Three help them understand that Ah, this is how we actually live. And I think those things add to that that culture that you described. And you got to be deliberate about it. You know, you have to be intentional about it. You can't. I caution anybody that wants to start the business. And I know it's kind of a popular thing, but I cautioned anybody wants to start their business, I want to hurry up and be out of that. Yeah. I only spend a little time in my business. You know, if you have not made it and molded it the way it needs to be, then it could be you said that generously, could be a recipe for for a disaster. So in terms of no, no, none.
Speaker 6: In terms of the name out the obviously in the eighties movie the Breakfast Club, you know about that, I got the Breakfast Club obviously, Hall of Fame radio show. And there's a bunch of cities that have a breakfast club. So what was that trademarking process like for.
Speaker 5: You, Well, there's not a bunch of cities that Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Well Atlanta, no, no, no, no, no, no, they don't have the no something Similarizy, Now you missed that.
Speaker 5: He missed that conversation.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, Uh. The breakfast club trademark belongs to thirty seven eleven Travis Marcus Davis and nobody else in the country, period point black. Gotcha.
Speaker 6: And if anyone else tries to use it, that's what And but it's important to break it because it's for food, like the breakfast club, the radio show, that's for entertainment, right, and that's what So in in intellectual.
Speaker 2: Properties, you do have the you do have the ability to use it in a particular class, right, And that's the other thing you gotta show use But you do have the ability to use things in a in a in a particular class, and that can make a difference. But all these other little plays on I changed it a little bit of it. That's that's McDonald's, McDowell's, that's that's that's not the real world. We'll break that down. Could you have mentioned that right coming to America was a great intellectual properties uh lesson, right, because it gave people the idea that if you change it just a little bit, then you're not infringing the rule in in in uh, trademark is opportunity for confusion, right, the is there an opportunity for this to be confused with that, and if it isn't, the one that holds the market and the one that started is the one that is entitled to it, right, So the golden arches worth the golden arts. Yeah that that that didn't work. That that didn't work. That man, that that that you know, intellectual property is is a big deal because it is someone's It's just that it's someone's property, and there is a property of their intellect. It is property of their thought process.
Speaker 5: Yes, very important to know that because if not, you can get yourself as.
Speaker 2: You can get yourself well, one you can get yourself in the deep water for trying to negular system, but two you can miss out on an opportunity if you don't protect yourself right. So you know, protecting yourself on the front side is important.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a great name. It's one of these things when I don't know if the movie was the first thing that ever said breakfast club, but the radio obviously that helped out a lot too, because it's like you've been around before the radio show.
Speaker 2: Yeah we were.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming that the radio show has actually helped you in a way.
Speaker 2: I think we helped them. Yeah, Yeah, that's so.
Speaker 4: But the more people are saying the name is playing recognition. Yeah, it's like the breakfast club. Breakfast club. That makes sense because now this is actually a restaurant, right that serves breakfast, right exactly.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about the menu.
Speaker 4: We talked about a restaurant owner before and he said his philosophy is short menus, seven items, no more, and he had reason behind that.
Speaker 5: What's your thought process on menus?
Speaker 4: Like how do you say, Okay, this is enough items, this is too many items, this is Yeah.
Speaker 2: I may not have the seven rule, but I don't believe in in big complex menus. I believe in keeping me use simple. I believe in keeping menus where they can they can overlap. I think that's important. Well, menus overlapping, like if you have in restaurant, but hey, y'all get y'all get in restaurant one on one right here, y'all need to come side up from a class. Look, if you don't have if you don't have things that overlap, then you know you're doing yourself a disservice. Right, So if you have one product that can be used in three different things, then it's more advantageous for you. Right. So that's like so on the hand, example, on the hand, we use it for the breakfast special. On the hand we use it for a sandwich. On the hand, we use it for anoma. So we're not buying ham just for one plate. Right. So that that's that's one thing too. The more the bigger your menus and the more complex it is, then the bigger, uh and more complex your kitchen is going to be. Right. And this's just this is just my my, my belief, my rule. Right, if you want to be successful, you have to find areas where you minimize the confusion, that you minimize the chaos. Uh. And so the simpler you make the menu, then I can tell you this a chain right now that you know doing a couple of hundred million dollars and they ain't got before items and all of them are chicken strips. You can think of the rest the morning chicken ships. It's all Look at what does kness? What is king? Sir kings? Or you don't have a king? Okay, yeah, yeah, all right, but that's that's what.
Speaker 6: But does that tempt you because I'm thinking obviously the breakfast club, most people are gonna frequent it in the hours of usually breakfast right and on the weekends.
Speaker 2: But do you, I mean maybe you did or didn't.
Speaker 6: Did you say to yourself, maybe I should expand the menu to have more people come in in the evening Like we saw like people only went to I Hot for breakfast until they started serving burgers and I was like, oh, I can go there midday or for dinner. Is that something that you had to confront like, maybe I should expand the man just a bit to have what customers coming.
Speaker 2: Even for Well, for me, I'm not necessarily believe in expanding the menu just to get more people in, right, because one more people doesn't always it made me more revenue, doesn't always mean more profit. Right, More people doesn't always mean more people can be more problems too, right, true, And it's not to say that we won't ever. But the idea of why this was a breakfast launch concept was because I wanted to keep it in two day parts. I wanted a tight ship run from seven in the morning to two in the afternoon and call it a day. Not call it a day because the work is never done right. Call of the day, like we ain't got nothing else to do, call it the day. In terms of operations in terms of service. Doesn't mean that we'll never open the night. You know, who knows, who knows the future, But it won't be simply because you know, we can get a few more dollars, right. I think my personal opinion has to be more to it than that.
Speaker 5: How many days you open.
Speaker 2: We open seven days a week, seven days a week, Monday through Monday through Friday seven to two, Saturday and Sunday eight. That's at the breakfast club. You know, my Caribbean restaurant is open seven days a week lunch and dinner culture. My downtown restaurant is open five days a week. And you know the bar, yeah does bar things.
Speaker 4: So for the breakfast so specifically, you know, most people would think that during the week it's not a good time because who's going to brunch on Wednesday?
Speaker 2: Thursday? You said two different things, you said going to brunch. I opened the breakfast Club for breakfast. You get it. So a week in two thousand and one we open breakfast. Brunch wasn't the sexy day part that it is now. You didn't have all these places, you know, booming on Sundays. You didn't get that. It wasn't happening right. Matter of fact, for the big boys, breakfast was an afterthought, right you have you have you know, a big company, They served breakfast just as a way to make a few extra pennies because we already got to be there during the prep time anyway, and we can make a few extra extra dollars. And then in the one of the reasons. So I'm sorry I failed to give my definition of entrepreneurship, which is filling the void in the marketplace that the marketplace is calling for consciously are subconsciously that's that's the definition of entrepreneurship, looking at what the marketplace has, what it needs, what's missing. How do you feel that void? And in two thousand and one, or in ninety nine when I wrote this business plane, you can count breakfast restaurants in the in midtown, in my city and across the country. You can kind of them. On one hand, right, you didn't have a lot of places other than your big boys, like your eye hops and your dentist. You didn't have a lot of places that just featured breakfast, not soul breakfast, featured breakfast. So you know, in ninety nine, the you know, the breakfast market was wide open, and I saw that was an opportunity to fuel the void. And you know, if you look to that, man, Look, I know this may sound a little strange in twenty twenty two, but you'd be hard pressed to find a fish and a grip and a winging a waffle on one menu across the country in two thousand and one. Right, you'd be hard pressed, let alone to find it on a breakfast menu. And so here in twenty three. That's why when you said brunch today, those dishes have become very popular and the brunch thing has become wildly popular. Now I'm gonna take a little credit because, uh, you know, I like to think we had something to do with that, you know, Uh you know, I mean, truth is true. Right, If it wasn't happening before you start doing it, and then you start doing it and then it's happening, then I think, you know, But no, I've seen I've seen a number of people. I'm an entrepreneur, man, and I get inspired when people are inspired, right, And I've I've had people come to me and tell me, man, you inspired me. Told my brother here doing well, and you inspire me to open my bills, open my restaurant and uh, you know it's it's you know, it's it's it's a reality. But you know that I'm I'm and as much as I am crazy about that, I'm more inspired when I when I discovered that as an entrepreneur in the restaurant business, I've inspired people who weren't in the restaurant business. So when the first time I had, you know, an attorney come up to me and say, man, I won't you inspire me to my practice or Dennis or doctor, I'm like, how did how did that happen? I say, of Grich, you have a terminal degree. How does that? And I came to realize this concept of uh, see touch field right, it is necessary for a lot of folks to see it in order that they believe it. To touch it and they believe it. You know. We I know people like to you know, like to dump on Thomas and said he was a dollar, right, But Thomas said it was a dollar. He said, I'm gonna believe it if I touch it. And the truth be told, the majority of people have Thomas faith. They need to be able to touch it before they believe. And so I'm grateful to be have been in the space for the last two decades that people can touch entrepreneurship and be inspired to go out and do what they've been called to do.
Speaker 5: So, what's what's next to you?
Speaker 4: What's what's your next vision on the on the five year horizon horizon.
Speaker 2: Man, I going back to seeing and touching and I'm a I'm I believe that this, this entrepreneurship is important. But I believe that in this food game, as African Americans, the window of opportunity is so wide. Right if you look at how much participation we have in the food business compared to how much we have in terms of ownership, it pales. So we're actually leaving the bag on the table in this era of going to get the bag. And so my goal is in the next few years is one to continue to inspire entrepreneurs to go into business to open their restaurants. My goal is to to mentor and consult restaurant tours. All it's gonna be my first, my first client. I want to see us successful in the space. I believe that the food industry is an untapped market for African Americans. We're talking about everything from restaurants and I'm not just just talking about restaurant. We're talking about the butcher, the baker, and the hot sauce maker. We're talking about everything from inside the restaurant with plates and forks, to purveyors to the people who sell and grow the products. We're talking about retail. I mean, think about it, brother, we don't have if you're talking about restaurant, we don't have national change, African American owned, right name name, name one concept that stretches across the country. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, we just interviewed Pinky from Fludy Vegan.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm so happy for her. Man, I'm so I'm so excited for her because us it means the train is moving right. But we're in twenty twenty two and we don't have one national brand. Go in the grocery store, name me a national brand, Black owned. I can show you where people have you know, been culture vultures. I can show you where people have profited off of our name and our likeness, from Uncle Ben to Angel Mama. But we're not selling food off shelves, but we buying a lot of it. So my goal in the next five years is to get into those spaces and operate and encourage others to get in those spaces and operate. We need a hospitality company that stretches across a region, stretches across the country. And whether I'm the person to do it or whether it is the next person do it, I carenot. We just need those dollars circulating in our community.
Speaker 5: I agree. I agree got happened. So you're actually gonna be teaching people.
Speaker 2: Man, I am. You know. I've come to a conclusion that the words that I share and the work that I do is so important. We'll go back to how this started. One. The barrier to entry and restaurant is so low, right. It's not like, you know, you go be a lawyer tomorrow. You can't go be a doctor tomorrow, but you can go if you want it, you can go open a restaurant tomorrow. Right. And because of how sexy is how glamorous it, there's a lot of people want to do it. And I think that there's a space for well, I know there's a space. I get emails every day, I get inboxed all the time, so I believe there's a space for folks to come and learn how to successfully run a restaurant. So it's going to start off with mentoring and then it's going to move into something a little bit more because I think consulting is incredibly important and as African Americans, we have to begin to believe in professional services and going out and getting the professional services that we need in order to be successful. We can't be afraid of that.
Speaker 4: Very important mentorship extremely important, and we fail because we have a lack of knowledge a lot of times and that knowledge, like you said, there's ain't no school for this, even like if you're trying to start a podcast, right, like, there's no school for that. So you either make a lot of mistakes and luckily you can make it through, or you find some people that have already done it and they can help you. The same thing with the rest of our industry. Same thing with trucking, any type of industry you could think of. So it's extremely important for people to seek out those people that have already had success and already went through those mistakes because they can help.
Speaker 5: You avoid them.
Speaker 2: Man, there's a blessing in learning from somebody else's success and somebody else's failure, right, I mean that, and I don't even call it failure. You know, the the mistakes that they may have made or you know, the drop ball or what have you. But I look, there's some folks that came before me that I give homish right that I and other people don't see it that way. But if I didn't learn from them, Mista say, then I don't get to be where I am today. Your growth, I said, your growth, oh, without a doubt, man, without no question, asked.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you, brother, thank you for coming.
Speaker 2: Man, I appreciate you. Got it. When we go back to Houston, you gotta you gotta come on back, come on back, and uh bring the crew and you know, well you know we'll we'll, we'll speaking of the crew. So one more day. So a couple of things I was asked, I want to make sure we get these out. One was about about about food time, right about hey man, how do you get the food out? Expeditiously, expeditiously shut Look, look, look, systems. Systems are incredibly important. And I have a I have a restaurant that we acquired just based on me being able to see that, Hey, this is a great concept. They just need some systems in place. And I give you an example. Right, so you order a dish the a shrimp dish, right, And what they were doing was they were peeling the shrimp when you order. They were declicing the vegetables when you order, they were making the sauce when you order. So you food to forty five minutes, right, So I'll go what's to go? And okay, what do we take the steps? Right? We pre peeled, we pre season, we pre slice, and this is all fresh. We're just doing these steps ahead of time. And then you get to a point where we have to know we have an idea of what you're going to serve that day. I know if the line is three blocks long, about how much chicken we're gonna sell every hour? So we keep frying. Right now, here's the kicker to that, going back to that not being willing to lose in order to win. If going back to quality, if I fried a chicken and they don't order it and it goes over my whole time, I got to have the courage to pull it. A lot of times entrepreneurs, particularly in the restaurant business, they want to sell it to you anyway because they don't want to lose that five dollars, not understanding that you've already lost that five dollars because you put in for your product in front of your guests. So systems system system. The last one is you know the presence of the You know, I'm in my store a lot, not because I have to be, but because I want to be. I like going to work. It was to saying, if you love what you do, it's not really work. I love going to work. I love creating places to where people fellowship and I love being there with them. But there's also something that I that I found as a business term that makes this relevant, makes this important. If you go I went to buy a piece of property, right and this first piece of probably have a ball, and the bank asked me it was in a complex, it was a conduct. The bank asked me, what is the owner eccupency rate in this complex? Not an understand and I didn't understand why they were asking. So I asked, what does this mean and why you're asking? Said, well, the bank says that the property value is a little bit higher if the owner's present. And that's the philosopher at keeping my business. I go to work because it adds value to the guests, it adds value to my team, it adds value to my community.
Speaker 4: There you have it, ladies and gentlemen, a whole lot of game. Thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 4: And I said, we can come to Houston. We gotta We're definitely gonna go patronage the restaurant, but we gotta do something. You gotta you know, doing events, and.
Speaker 2: You can come to Houston. Wenna, get you an astron this man, start. You don't want to talk about that. You don't have me break out the trash fans, Baby, I will bang these trash cans and we will knock some home runs. We're not gonna forget seventeen. Hey man, y'all got to get over that. Brother, we can. Y'all got to get over that this year. But hey, this is what two things. One the trash cans don't explain how we beat y'all with y'all part. That's one that's true. Yeah. Two didn't didn't a little little just come out about y'all cheating in the same year leisure. That was a leg that. There's just proven his alleged difference.
Speaker 4: Most of the most championships with the cheating, but the most championships in sports history, man.
Speaker 2: Look, look, baseball is a game of cheating.
Speaker 6: It's about it cheats. Well, we're cheating into the first place right now.
Speaker 2: So hey that boy looking nasty. Yeah, he's second in home runs to judge. So Ron's bombers, they wouldn't bombing with that. Put that no hit on them the other day though. All right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, shout to everybody on eyl University, all our earners, everybody that's important to merch, all our patrons on Patreon.
Speaker 2: Love is love. You know, we can't do this without you.
Speaker 6: It was built for you. Uh So keeps important. Keep telling a friend, to tell a friend. That's how we build community.
Speaker 2: And shout out to everybody in Houston.
Speaker 4: Sharlot to my girl Jazz, shout out to Slim Thugger, shout out to don Key Toby Ian Dunlap of course, of course. And you know every time we go to h time, it's always love out there. We did a show out there. It was packed twenty six hundred people. So man, because the show was fire.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Man. I was, I mean, I was in there just I was like, I was, I was man, I was, I was happy, I was excited. Slim has a special place in the Breakfast Lub's history.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Oh god, yes, good dude.
Speaker 2: Man, in our first year or two of business, when we're not popular, we're not hot, we're not famous. Guess who comes two three times a week. Slim and the crew, and so much so that we would look for Hey, Slim, Slim, we need to come on here. We got we got red but slim. See note buying the boars. They brought bond in right off the bun and you know the rest was the rest was history. Yeah, Slim, Slim, Slim Slim. You guys have to get a dish ning that to him. Yeah, we gotta figure that out.
Speaker 4: Of course, Chris Senegal too, and Mike Brown. See a lot of solid guys out there in Houston, man, real love. Every time we get we get a chance to go to Houston. So shout out to Houston man. Love is love to you guys. Next week peace.
Speaker 3: My graduates from my school being forced back drop b drop, Mike drop drop drop.
Speaker 7: Hennessey celebrates those you just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday? How can you find amazing candidates fast?
Speaker 2: Easy?
Speaker 7: Just use indeed stop struggling to get your job post seen on other job sites with indeed sponsored jobs. Your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need