Speaker 1: If you love iPhone, you'll love Apple Card. It comes with the privacy and security you expect from Apple. Plus, you earn up to three percent daily cash back on every purchase, which can automatically earn interest when you open a high yield savings account through Apple Card. Apply for Apple Card in the wallet app subject to credit approval. Savings is available to Apple Card owners subject to eligibility. Apple Card and Savings by Goldman Sachs Bank USA, Salt Lake Sidney Branch, Member FDIC, terms and more at applecard dot com.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Jackie Thomas, the host of a brand new Black Effect's original series, black Lit, the podcast for diving deep into the rich world of black literature. Black Lit is for the page turners, for those who listen to audiobooks while running errands or at the end of a busy day. From thought provoking novels to powerful poetry, we'll explore the stories that shape our culture. Listen to Black Lit on the Black Effect Podcast Network iHeartRadio, app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: So Black Effect Podcast Network is sponsored by diet Coke.
Speaker 4: From tips for healthy living to the latest medical breakthroughs, WebMD's Health Discovered podcast keeps you up to date on today's most important health issues through in depth conversations with experts from across the healthcare community. WebMD reveals how today's health news will impact your life tomorrow.
Speaker 5: It's not that people don't know that exercise is healthy, it's just that people don't know why it's healthy, and we're struggling to try to help people help themselves in each other.
Speaker 4: Listen to WebMD Health Discovered on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: I'm doctor Laurie Santos, host of the Happiness Lab podcast.
Speaker 6: As the US.
Speaker 3: Elections approach, it can feel like we're angrier and more divided than ever, But in a new copule season of my podcast, I'll Share with the Science really shows that we're surprisingly more united than most people think.
Speaker 7: We all know something is wrong in our culture and our politics, and that we need to do better and that we can be better.
Speaker 3: Listen on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 8: I'm Joe Gatto, I'm Steve Byrne. We are two cool moms. We certainly are, and guess where we could find us now?
Speaker 9: Oh, I don't know the iHeart podcast network.
Speaker 8: That's right. We're an official iHeart podcast and I'm super excited about it. I am too.
Speaker 9: I thought Two Cool Moms was such a fun podcast, but now it's even more funner and cooler and hardier.
Speaker 8: That's right, it's more eyeheartier. I knew it. Check your heart rate. We're here at iHeart.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you could find us wherever you listen to your podcasts or on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Inside space? Is there a place where the matter ends and it's just empty space? And then path that space? Is there something else that's not space? Can space have an edge? Right? And so that to me is the is this concept of the universe all the matter in all the space, okay, things beyond that space? If there is anything there I would consider not part of our universe.
Speaker 11: Oh I see. We could like there could be through stuff and maybe at some point we run out of stuff, but there's still there could still be space.
Speaker 10: There could still be space.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 10: I'm Daniel and I'm Horehan, and we're here to explain the universe.
Speaker 11: Today. We're going to talk about the biggest question in the.
Speaker 10: Universe, the biggest question you could even possibly.
Speaker 11: Imagine how big is the universe?
Speaker 10: Like really, how big is it?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 10: Does it go on forever? Is it just a little bit bigger than we can see? Does it wrap around on itself? Is it some other crazy thing. That's what we are going to try to tackle today. We went out in the street and we asked people what they thought about this. The biggest of questions.
Speaker 12: Oh man, it's pretty big, Like I'm pretty sure it's like because like we don't really know much about it, so I'm pretty I wanna say, like pretty big, like it's really unmeasurable.
Speaker 10: Tend to the something particles.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Do you want like a.
Speaker 10: Number or whatever you think is appropriate.
Speaker 11: I remember reading some of where that's like it's always growing, so it's like infinite.
Speaker 10: Right, So most people seem to feel like, wow, the universe is pretty big, right. Some people thought it was like infinite, and some people thought just just really big.
Speaker 11: Nobody thought it was small.
Speaker 10: Nobody's like I can see the end of it. It's just about it's only my town.
Speaker 11: It's only as far as I can see.
Speaker 10: That's right, And astrue, that's really interesting because I bet like if you ask prehistoric man how big is the universe? They would just like say, like, look around you, this is what there is, and they couldn't even really imagine. So let's break it down. There's all the stuff right as particles. There's a matter right, you know, this matter.
Speaker 11: And energy and all that stuff feel and touch and see mm hm.
Speaker 10: There's one other component which I think is a little less usual for people to think about, and that's the space.
Speaker 11: Space. Okay.
Speaker 10: I would think of the universe as all the stuff and all the space that it's in.
Speaker 11: Okaya, like the stuff we can actually move around in.
Speaker 10: Yes, the place we can move around in the space we have.
Speaker 11: At some point that space ends.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the space could end right now. Somebody out there listening, you smart, good looking listener, you might be thinking, what how good space possibly end? He's talking about space like it's a thing, like it's water and the fish could run into the end of it or something. But briefly, we should just remind people that space is not just emptiness. It's not just a backdrop. It's not just the nothing in which stuff happens. It's stuff. It has properties. It can bend and expand and ripple and do all sorts of weird, crazy stuff, and so we know that it's a thing. It's a dynamic physical thing that can do stuff, So we have to consider the possible that it ends. Like that's part of the question how big is the universe? Is how much space is there? And can it end?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 11: It's like we're fish and we're asking how big is the ocean?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, okay, exactly how big is the I wonder do you think fish wonder about how big is the ocean?
Speaker 11: I think fish wonder about not getting eaten by other fish p occupation?
Speaker 10: Right, And fish might also wonder like are there other oceans?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 10: That's the multiverse for fishes.
Speaker 11: But in our universe you're saying space might have a limit to it, like there might be an end to it. Yeah, but so is it like a wall or is it like a What does it mean for it to be at the edge of space?
Speaker 10: Well, there could be an edge to space, and to think about what that means. We have to think about what space is a little bit more like we have to think about whether space can curve or if space is flat? Right, And this kind of stuff is really hard to think about in three dimensions, like what does it mean for space xyz space right xyz being one, two, three dimensions, the curve really hard to think about because it's hard for us to think about that about space curving in some higher dimensions. So usually it's best if we think about it in two dimensions, so we can think about it as curving in that third dimension. So imagine that we are two dimensional scientists. We're like living on a sheet of paper where we can only move in two dimensions like X and y, and then we can ask those two dimensional scientists can ask is our space curved? Is our paper universe curved?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 10: And that changes the answer, Like say you discover that it is curved and it has a positive curvature. Positive curvature would be like on the surface of a sphere or a planet. Right, if it has positive curvature, that has consequences for its shape, because if it's positively curved, it can't go on forever, right, Like the Earth. You're standing on the surface of the Earth and you know the Earth is curved, and that means that Earth can't be infinitely big, right.
Speaker 11: Right, right, So you're saying, at the edge of the universe, maybe the space space is curved, and.
Speaker 10: Well, maybe it's a possibility. You have to consider that maybe space is curved everywhere. If the universe had curved space, and it was positively curved, that would mean that it could be sort of looped on itself very naturally, the same way the surface of a planet is, and you could travel around it through space and not really get to the edge, right, Like where is the edge of the Earth? Well, the Earth, the surface of the Earth, the two dimensional surface doesn't have an edge.
Speaker 11: Like people in Earrctoric times, maybe they saw the Earth around them and it thought, oh man, this is pretty big. It probably goes on forever, but they didn't know that actually the land curved.
Speaker 10: That's right.
Speaker 11: And it turns out that we're actually kind of on this sphere and if you keep going in one direction, you kind of loop back around.
Speaker 10: That's right. Yeah. And it's not like you get to the edge and you get magically trans boarded back to where you started or something. There's no you know, shortcut or magic there on the surface of the Earth. You keep walking, you come back to where you.
Speaker 11: Start, just connected back onto itself exactly.
Speaker 10: That's the key.
Speaker 11: So that's a space like space that we're in could kind of like, if you keep going in one direction in a spaceship, you'll come back around to the same.
Speaker 10: Spot exactly, and the way you said it was perfect. It's the connection. So we like to talk about space by using this analogy of living in two dimensions and thinking about it being curved in a third dimension. Now, pop that up to three dimensions, right, because we know our space is at least three dimensions.
Speaker 11: Pop it up and popping an asprain because now I'm getting ahead.
Speaker 10: Did we work on getting ad built to support this podcast because we're sending them a lot of customers.
Speaker 11: My god, that could be a great sponsor.
Speaker 10: That's right, So pop that up into your three dimensional space, right, and then you can ask, well, what does it mean for three dimensional space to be curved? Well, it's not that we imagine that it's curved in some other fourth dimension. It's not that it's hanging in four dimensional space and has a curvature in it. It's how the space is connected. We call it intrinsic curvature because it reflects how one part of space is connected to another part of space. So without hanging in four dimensions, you can be connected in a way that space is curved and you loop back on yourself without ever really noticing.
Speaker 11: So when we talk about the size of the universe, we mean that it has maybe some kind of edge, but maybe that edge is not like how we think of an edge as like a stub or a wall. Maybe it's just kind of looped around, and so the size of it is kind of like this blob of space.
Speaker 10: Right, yeah, exactly. And the possible answers for the size of the universe depend on how it's curved. Right. If it's positively curved, then it can only really be like a big sphere, which means it's finite if it would have been negative. If it's not right, if it's flat. If space is like it doesn't curve intrinsically, then it could potentially go on forever. If space is negatively curved, that's like the shape of a saddle, it's a negative curvature, then it could have all sorts of really weird shapes. But it could still be infinite.
Speaker 11: Okay, so the options are infinite or not infinite.
Speaker 10: That pretty much categorized the options for everything. How big is your househoord, Hey, is it infinite or non infinite? I want to see that option actually on Zillo from.
Speaker 11: The Yeah, I would love to have infinite square feet house.
Speaker 10: Would I needed to look forever for your kid's shoes? Right? Where'd you put them? I put them in room number somewhere between here in infinity.
Speaker 11: Yeah. So let's talk about the possibilities of what could be beyond the observable universe. I mean, we talked a little bit about before about maybe it's infinite, maybe it's not infinite. Do we really have no idea whether the actual universe is just a little bit bigger than the observable universe, much bigger than the observerable universe, or it could be infinite. We really have sort of no indication of which possibility it is.
Speaker 10: We have a few clues, they're kind of indirect, and I want to talk about that some more. But first let's take a quick break.
Speaker 13: AI might be the most important new computer technology ever. It's storming every industry and literally billions of dollars are being invested, so buckle up. The problem is that AI needs a lot of speed and processing power, So how do you compete without cost spiraling out of control? It's time to upgrade to the next generation of the cloud oracle Cloud Infrastructure or OCI. OCI is a single platform for your infrastructure, database, application development, and AI needs. OCI has four to eight times the bandwidth of other clouds, offers one consistent price instead of variable regional pricing, and of course nobody does data better than Oracle. So now you can train your AI models at twice the speed and less than half the cost of other clouds. If you want to do more and spend less, like Uber eight by eight and data Briogs Mosaic. Take a free test drive of OCI at Oracle dot com slash strategic. That's Oracle dot com slash strategic Oracle dot com slash Strategic.
Speaker 14: I'm buzs Knight and I'm the host of the Taking a Walk podcast music History on Foot John Oates.
Speaker 15: Great songs endured, and I'm very proud and happy to know that i was part of something that will endure.
Speaker 14: The podcast is an audio diary of insightful conversations with musicians and the inside stories behind their music.
Speaker 16: Russ Kunkle, The basic connection that I had with someone that was great coming out of the.
Speaker 10: Whiskey was David Crosby.
Speaker 16: David I met David and Steven and Graham kind of around the same time, basically through my wife Leah, who is Cass Elliott's sister.
Speaker 14: The message of the podcast is simple, honest conversation with musicians about the music they create. Mike Campbell of The Heartbreakers.
Speaker 6: It's correct. I rarely work things out. I like to go off the cup and try to grab things out of the air while you're playing the song and try to catch a little magic.
Speaker 14: Listen to the Taken a Walk podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Jackie Thomas, the host of a brand new Black Effect original series, black Lit, the podcast for diving deep into the rich world of black literature. I'm Jackie Thomas, and I'm inviting you to join me in a vibrant community of literary enthusiasts dedicated to protecting and celebrating our stories. Black Lit is for the page turners, for those who listen to audio books while commuting or running errands. For those who find themselves seeking solad, wisdom, and refuge between the chapters, from thought provoking novels to powerful poetry, We'll explore the stories that shape our culture. Together. We'll dissect classics and contemporary world while uncovering the stories of the brilliant writers behind them. Black Litt is here to amplify the voices of black writers and to bring their words to life. Listen to Black Lit on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: I'm doctor Laurie Santos, host of the Happiness Lab podcast. Is the US elections approach. It can feel like we're angrier and more divided than ever, But in a new hopeful season of my podcast, I'll Share with the science really shows that we're surprisingly more united than most people think.
Speaker 7: We all know something is wrong in our culture and our politics, and that we need to do better, and that we can do better with the.
Speaker 3: Help of Stanford psychologist Jamiale Zaki.
Speaker 10: It's really tragic.
Speaker 5: If cynicism were appeal, it'd be a poison.
Speaker 3: We'll see that our fellow humans, even though we disagree with, are more generous than we assume.
Speaker 17: My assumption, my feeling, my hunch is that a lot of us are actually looking for a way to disagree and still be in relationship.
Speaker 10: With each other.
Speaker 3: All that on the Happiness Lab Listen on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 18: Hey, I'm Bruce Bosi on my podcast Table for two. We have unforgettable lunch after unforgettable lunch.
Speaker 19: With the best guest you could possibly ask for, people like Matt Boehmer.
Speaker 10: Thank you for that introduction. I'm gonna slip here, slip you a couple of twenties under the table, hold on, Emma Roberts.
Speaker 20: When it came into my email in box, I was like, Okay, I know I'm gonna love this so much that I don't even want to read it because if I can't be it, I'm gonna be bums.
Speaker 18: Colin Jost, you know your wife was the first guest.
Speaker 12: It's Table for two, and it's come full circle as long as they do better than her.
Speaker 18: Table for Two is a bit different from other interview shows. We sit down at a great restaurant for a meal, maybe a glass of rose, and the stories start flowing.
Speaker 10: Our second season.
Speaker 18: Is airing right now, so you can catch up on our conversations that are intimate, surprising, and often hilarious. Listen to Table for two with First Bosi on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 10: One clue comes from the curvature of space. We talked earlier about how the curvature of space affects how the size of the universe could be. And if a space is curved positively or negative or flat, that limits the options, right, So that's something we can measure. We can measure it here. We can look around us and measure how curved is space in our universe? And that might be a bit of a puzzler, right, like, how does that mean? How could space be curved? How could you possibly measure it? And to think about that, it's best to go back to the two dimensional example. You're living on the surface of a planet. For example. If you were a two dimensional scientist living on the surface of a planet or some surface, and you wanted to know is this surface curved? What you could do is make a triangle, because triangles are very sensitive to curvature. For example, you draw a triangle on a sheet of paper, you add up the angles, then you get one hundred and eighty degrees every triangle, every flat surface, no matter what beautiful.
Speaker 11: Results basic geometry.
Speaker 10: That's right. Yeah, Now imagine that triangle sitting on the surface of a tennis ball. You can draw a triangle on the surface of a tennis ball that has three right angles on it, because triangles behave differently on a curved surface.
Speaker 11: Yeah, imagine that it could be ninety degrees, meaning that it adds up to two hundred and seventy degrees.
Speaker 10: Yeah, exactly. So let's take a break, so everyone can go get a tennis ball and as sharpie and try this at home, and we'll be right back when you have your tennis ball. All right, assuming you're holding a tennis ball and you've annoyed your partner or your spouse or your time by drawing triangles on it, you can see the triangles behave differently on a.
Speaker 11: Curveda It looks kind of bloated.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, it looks distorted. And so if you just make a triangle and add up the angles, you can see whether or not the space you're in is curved or flat.
Speaker 11: Is that kind of a great way to think about the curvature space. It's kind of like a distortion of space.
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, it's a distortion and how the pieces of space are connected to each other, which changes how you move through space changes like how you can get from one spot in space to another spot in space.
Speaker 11: Yeah, like I think I'm going straight, but I'm actually kind of being distorted in one way or the other.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it changes what straight means.
Speaker 11: Okay, So then the curvature might give some clues as to whether, like we wrap around in ourselves or whether we don't. I mean, that's all it can tell us, right, it's whether we're in a sphere or we're not in a sphere.
Speaker 10: Well, there's one other option, which is that we're on a sort of a saddle. Space is negatively curved. Imagine you have a sheet of pain paper that's formed sort of like a bowl, right, the opposite of a sphere, and you're in the middle of that bowl. You can draw a triangle in that and it will have angles of less than one hundred and eighty degrees. You measure the distortion. Yeah, yeah, not quite a bowl, because that's just the inside of a sphere, but something that has a sort of saddle shape. And so you draw triangle, you make a measurement, and that tells you. And so we've done that. We've made those triangles and we've measured them to very high precision in three dimensional space.
Speaker 11: Like physicists have done this in the sheet of the universe.
Speaker 10: Yes, exactly. We've done it in two different ways, at least that I can think of off the top of my head. One is that we looked at giant cosmic triangles in space. You know, we've looked at the cosmic microwave background radiation, this leftover photons from the birth of the universe, and drawn these triangles and measured the angles and they come out to one hundred and eighty degrees. It seems like space is flat. Pace is flat. We're nearly flat. Yeah, and that's a puzzle. It's really interesting that a lot of people wonder, like, why is space flat? We've measured to be flat to within you know, zero point one percent, and for a long time that was a mystery.
Speaker 11: But some people do think that space could be curved, like what would why would Why would that be weird?
Speaker 10: Yeah, And well that leads perfectly into the second way we've measured the curvature of space, which is you might ask what causes space to curve? Right, why would you expect space to be curved or flat or negatively curved? And the answer is that the thing that curved space is matter. Right, You put stuff matter and energy into space and it curves it. That's what general relativity tells us that that gravity is in fact the curvature of space. So we know that space gets curved. Like you put the Sun in the center of the Solar System, it curves space so that the Earth very naturally moves in a circle around it. Right, that's an impact of the curvature of space. Nobody's turning the Earth. Nobody's like driving the Earth around the Sun, right, but constantly turning. It's moving in what it considers to be a straight line, but the space is curved, so it's just moving constantly in an orbit.
Speaker 11: Gravity is not like a force pulling the Earth towards the Sun. But gravity is more like its distorting the space around the Sun so that the Earth just kind of naturally goes around it.
Speaker 10: That's right, That's a great way to think about it. And so matter distorts space and causes curvature of space. And so you can ask is there enough matter and energy in the universe to curve space or to make it negatively curved or positively curved? Right? And if space is totally empty, if there's no matter in it at all, then it's negatively curved. You have to add energy and matter to make space zero have zero curvature, and so we've measured this. We've measured to total energy.
Speaker 11: It naturally wants to be negatively curved, but if you add stuff to it, then it gets straighter.
Speaker 10: That's right. With no energy density in it at all, would have negative curvature, And so you add stuff to it. In fact, if you add I think it's six hydrogen atoms worth of energy per square meter, then space has zero curvature. It's between five and six. And so we've measured the amount of stuff that's in the universe and it all adds up to be just about the right number to make space be not curved, which is seems like a weird coincidence, right, It seems like an important clue, like, why does all the stuff in the universe happen to add up to the number that's just right to make space not be curved?
Speaker 11: Would that Let's take a break, we'll be back in just a short minute.
Speaker 14: I'm Buzzsnight and I'm the host of the Taking a Walk podcast music History on Foot.
Speaker 15: John Ohates great songs endured, and I'm very proud and happy to know that I was part of something that will endure.
Speaker 14: The podcast is an audio diary of insightful conversations with musicians and the inside stories behind their music.
Speaker 16: Russ Kunkle, The basic connection that I had with someone that was great coming out of the Whiskey was David Crosby. David I met David and Steven and Graham kind of around the same time, basically through my wife Leah, who is Cass Elliott's sister.
Speaker 14: The message of the podcast is simple, honest conversation with musicians about the music they create. Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers.
Speaker 6: It is correct. I rarely worked things out. I like to go off the cup and try to grab things out of the air while you're playing the song and try to catch a little magic.
Speaker 14: Listen to the Taking a Walk podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Jackie Thomas, the host of a brand new Black Effect original series, black Lit, the podcast for diving deep into the rich world of black literature. I'm Jackie Thomas, and I'm inviting you to join me and a vibrant community of literary enthusiasts dedicated to protecting and celebrating our stories. Black lit is for the page turners, for those who listen to audio books while commuting or running errands, For those who find themselves seeking solace, wisdom, and refuge. Between the chapters, from thought provoking novels to powerful poetry, we'll explore the stories that shape our culture. Together. We'll dissect classics and contemporary works while uncovering the stories of the brilliant writers behind them. Black Lit is here to amplify the voices of black writers and to bring their words to life. Listen to black Lit on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: I'm doctor Laurie Santos, host of the Happiness Lab podcasts. The US elections approach, you can feel like we're angrier and more divided than ever, but in a new coop pole season of my podcast I'll Share with the Science really shows that we're surprisingly more united than most people think.
Speaker 7: We all know something is wrong in our culture and our politics, and that we need to do better, and that we can do better with the.
Speaker 3: Help of Stanford psychologist Jamil Zaki.
Speaker 5: It's really tragic if cynicism were appeal it'd be a poison.
Speaker 3: We'll see that our fellow humans, even those we disagree with, are more generous than we assume.
Speaker 17: My assumption, my feeling, my hunch is that a lot of us are actually looking for a way to disagree and still be in relationship with each other.
Speaker 3: All that on the Happiness Lab, listen on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 18: Hey, I'm Bruce Bosi on my podcast Table for two. We have unforgettable lunch after unforgettable lunch.
Speaker 19: With the best guest you could possibly ask for, people like Matt Boemer.
Speaker 10: Thank you for that intro. I'm gonna slip you, slip you a couple of twenties under the table, hold on, Emma Roberts.
Speaker 20: When it came into my email inbox, I was like, Okay, I know I'm gonna love this so much that I don't even want to read it because if I can't be in it, I'm gonna be bums.
Speaker 18: And Colin Jost, you know your wife was the first guest that's Table for two.
Speaker 11: And it's come full circle as long as they do better than.
Speaker 18: Her on Table for two is a bit different from other interview shows. We sit down at a great restaurant for a meal, maybe a glass of rose, and the story start flowing. Our second season is airing right now, so you can catch up on our conversations that are intimate, surprising, and often hilarious. Listen to Table for two with Bruce Bozzi and the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherevery you get your podcasts.
Speaker 21: I'm Carrie Champion and this is season four of Naked Sports, where we live at the intersection of sports and culture. Up first, I explore the making of a rivalry, Caitlin Clark versus Angel Wreath.
Speaker 8: I know I'll go down in history.
Speaker 12: People an't talking about women's basketballs just because of one single game.
Speaker 1: Every great player needs a foil.
Speaker 12: And hear them wise.
Speaker 8: I just come your toplay basketballer, Ray kendled that and that's what I focused are.
Speaker 21: From college to the pros, Clark and Reeves have changed the way we consume women's sports.
Speaker 8: Angel Reese is a joy to watch. She is unapologetically black. I love her.
Speaker 21: What exactly ignited this fire? Why has it been so good for the game, and can the fanfare surrounding these two supernovas be sustained. This game is only going to get better because the talent is getting better. This new season will cover all things sports and culture. Listen to Naked Sports on the Black Effect Podcast Network, iHeartRadio, app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: The Black Effect Podcast Network is sponsored by diet Coke.
Speaker 10: Space seems to be flat. At least space in our part of the universe seems to be flat. Could be that in other parts of the universe it's nerved, right, But in our part of the universes seems to be flat.
Speaker 11: And we think that sort of a that it maybe extends out to as far as we can see.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it seems to follow the same rules. Okay, and so you're absolutely right. That rules out, you know, the potato universe that we're living on the surface of this huge cosmic potato or bubble universe whatever. It rules out the saddle universe where the universe's negative curvature. Seems like space is flat, which is.
Speaker 11: Flat, and it would go in one direction forever. I'll just keep going.
Speaker 10: Not necessarily, right, we know space is flat. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's infinite. It's a natural idea, right If space is flat, then it doesn't curve on itself, and so it seems like you could be able to go on.
Speaker 11: Forever earlier that you can't just have a wall.
Speaker 10: Can't just have a wall. But but since we don't know what space is, we don't really know how it works, we don't really know how it's connected. It's still possible that it could be flat but connected in a weird way. So where one edge is connected to the other edge, like you go flat, you're moving through flat space, but it just loops on back on itself, like it's connected in that way, like an asteroids game. You know, you go at the edge of the screen, but you appear on the.
Speaker 11: Other side, like you teleport to the other side.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, and not necessarily teleport, Like that could just be the way space is connected.
Speaker 11: So that's weird. That's that wouldn't feel you mean, like an asteroid games or like pac Man where you walk off one side of the screen and suddenly you appear on the other side. Like that is possibility. Physicists are like, hey, that could be true.
Speaker 10: That certainly could be true, Yes, absolutely, But the other possibility is also true, which is maybe it just goes on forever. Right, it could be that the that space goes on forever, and that's also kind of weird because that's infinite space.
Speaker 11: Infinite space.
Speaker 10: Yeah yeah, and it could be that space is flat, but it just ends because we can't see past the observable universe, and so we have intuition and ideas and speculation and we think, oh, this would be more natural, or that would be more natural, or I wish the universe looked that way, but at this point that's all we can do. Yeah. So it's a fascinating concept, infinity, because, as you say, if things go on forever and then you get infinite number of tries at everything, then that means that, given quantum randomness, you really do get every possibility out there. So it means it's somewhere out there, there's a universe where we're recording a podcast and I'm named Jorge and you're named Daniel, and right, you know, another universe where every possible thing you can imagine happens. That's really true, I mean, it's actually happening. If there is an infinite universe with infinite space, it means it could be really far away and we could never get there, and prove it. But if that is reality, then it's really happening right now, which is crazy to think about it.
Speaker 11: Right right, we just will never see it.
Speaker 10: We'll never see it, yeah, or if we wait long enough, maybe we would. But it's also so it's on one hand, like really crazy to imagine infinite universe with infinite stuff in it. On the other hand, it's sort of natural, right, Like what's the simplest explanation is it's simpler to imagine an edge, right, like a limited amount of stuff. I find those ideas to be sort of weird, and they sort of call back to, you know, geocentrism, the idea that we're the center, we're an important place in the universe. It's much more natural for me to think the universe just goes on forever and we're just at one dot in a random spot in it. Wow. Otherwise they have to explain, like why the universe began here, Like imagine the scenario the infinite space but finite stuff scenario. Then you have to ask, why did the Big Bang happen here and not fifty billion light years to the left or to the right.
Speaker 11: In that infinite space? Why is that clump matter here? Where we are.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So my personal preference, based on no science at all, is the infinite space, infinite stuff universe because it sort of puts to rest some of those questions who raises others?
Speaker 11: Right? It doesn't raise weird questions or inconsistencies.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it just asks you to imagine a creation of an infinite stuff in a moment. I mean, that's not too much that Yeah. Currently, I don't know of anybody who has such clever ideas for ways to determine whether the universe is infinite or finite by just looking at stuff around us. So the only way we could do it is direct by looking at the universe, which of course we can't. So currently it feels impossible, but you know, we always have to leave a little bit of an open door there for some future physicists more clever than us comes up with a clever way to probe whether the universe is finite or infinite just by looking at clues around us.
Speaker 11: You might say that there's plenty of room to grow.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 10: Certainly is there? Certainly is cool.
Speaker 11: Well, I hope you guys enjoyed that discussion. Yeah, and maybe when you look out at night into the stars, do you think about the idea that maybe the universe is infinite or maybe we're seeing all that there is.
Speaker 10: And regardless, it's a beautiful, gorgeous universe out there. And if you're into views, the best view out there is the night sky in the top of a mountain where you can see billions of light years across amazing vistas. So, however big the universe is, go out and enjoy it. Do you have a question you wish we would cover, Send it to us. We'd love to hear from you. You can find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at Daniel and Jorge one Word, or email us to feedback at Danielandjorge dot com. When you pop a piece of cheese in mouth, you're probably not thinking about the environmental impact. But the people in the dairy industry are. That's why they're working hard every day to find new ways to reduce waste, conserve natural resources, and drive down greenhouse gas emissions. How is us dairy tackling greenhouse gases? Many farms use anaerobic digestors to turn the methane from manure into renewable energy that can power farms, towns, and electric cars. Visit usdairy dot COM's last sustainability to learn more.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Jacklie Thomas, the host of a brand new Black Effects original series, black Lit, the podcast for diving deep into the rich world of black literature. Black Lit is for the page turners, for those who listen to audiobooks while running errands or at the end of a busy day. From thought provoking novels to powerful poetry, we'll explore the stories that shape our culture. Listen to Black Lit on the Black Effect Podcast Network, iHeartRadio, app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: The Black Effect Podcast Network is sponsored by diet Coke. I'm doctor Laurie Santon, host of the Happiness Lab podcast. As the US elections approach, it can feel like we're angrier and more divided than ever. But in a new hopeful season of my podcast, I'll Share with the Science really shows that we're surprisingly more united than most people think.
Speaker 7: We all know something is wrong in our culture and our politics, and that we need to do better and that we can be better.
Speaker 4: Listen on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts from tips for healthy living to the latest medical breakthroughs. WebMD's Health Discovered podcast keeps you up to date on today's most important health issues. Through in depth conversations with experts from across the healthcare community. WebMD reveals how today's health news will impact your life tomorrow.
Speaker 5: It's not that people don't know that exercise is healthy. It's just that people don't know why it's healthy, and we're struggling to try to help people help themselves in each other.
Speaker 4: Listen to WebMD Health Discovered on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you can your podcasts.
Speaker 8: I'm Joe Gatto, I'm Steve Byrne. We are two cool moms. We certainly are. And guess where we could find us now?
Speaker 9: Oh, I don't know the iHeart podcast network.
Speaker 8: That's right. We're an official iHeart podcast and I'm super excited about it. I am too.
Speaker 9: I thought Two Cool Moms was such a fun podcast, but now it's even more funner and cooler and heardier.
Speaker 8: That's right, it's more iheartier. I knew it. Check your heart rate. We're here at iHeart.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you could find us wherever you listen to your podcasts, or on the iHeartRadio app.