Speaker 1: On today's episode of Ticket of the Draft podcast, we've got the top ten running backs. Well it's more like twelve thirteen, fourteen, because this running back class is super deep. We talk who's got the juice that speed those forties, those explosive runs, and who's got the power to run you over and who's got both? And we've got Omar and Hampton and Ash and gent Who's the real number one? Is it closer than people think? It all starts right now. Welcome in the Ticke of the Draft podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with just the guy, Jason and Jason. It's so fun to be back in the seat talking more prospects. Man, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, especially because it's running back and running back like wide receiver like quarterback.
Speaker 3: They're just fun to watch, right.
Speaker 2: These are the these are the guys that have the crazy juke moves. They're bigger and runs. They're big and run super fast. Some of them are smaller and can run people over. It's just you get the contrasts and body types with what you expect and what they can and can't do.
Speaker 3: And it's a deep class.
Speaker 1: I think it is a deep class. It was. It was interesting though, like this is something I didn't talk to you about, but like it's so it's always a good reminder this class is deep and there will be starters in this class, a lot of starters and guys like rotational guys for sure, But I'm always reminded like they are Like running back, college running back is so different than NFL running back right now, so tell me about it. Yeah, So I think one of the things is there's only a couple of running backs that run in like pro style systems. It's all these kind of gun runs, like where there's a lot of space, light boxes. You got to make one guy miss, there's a ton of space. Because one of the things I've I evaluate in my process is like how well the running back does with like a bad look or a muddy look at the line of scrimmage, Like can you be creative and find those tight creases those tight gaps. And there's a couple guys on here that I downgraded actually because I felt like they couldn't do that. But it's just so hard to find clips of the mexicanting that at a high level, you know, And so I think that's something that's so different. So you're like, it feels like, you know, when you watch defensive end, when you watch an offensive linemen, when you watch receivers, you see transferable stuff like all the time. And with running backs. Yeah, it's great when you see someone hit a home run and it's mag exposive run, and obviously that's transferable because they're fast or explosive whatever it is. But it's the it's the nuance of the position, like the thing that separates b John Robinson from just another guy, or the thing that separates Derrick Henry from just another position. And why you know why Derek Henry is a good example actually why Derek Henry struggled early in his career because he had he had a hard time maximizing bad looks. And that's something that I think really takes a good running back and makes them great. And so I like to see an element of that when watching film. M'ch just hard to find because all these spread looks, all these light boxes, they don't get them as much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I actually want to dive into some terms because you threw a couple of them in there. But yeah, when evaluating a running back, one of the other things that I would say that like is hard to do because if you go look at a highlight tape where you just watch running plays, like a cutup of running plays, you're not really going to see how they do with in past block, which is really important past shanda, Right, So one of the things I would suggest if somebody is watching this is go on YouTube and finally cut up of all the passing plays from a game of theirs and see what they do, like are they getting physical or not? So like, those are the type of things, like you said, being in muddy situations, what do you do? And are you going to be in past protection because in the NFL, you're not going to be a starting running back, certainly not a three down back if you're not doing that.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because a lot of these guys project to that third that third down back type role. But then again, like you, then you watch them pastor and you're like, oh, this isn't exactly what I was hoping for here. You're like, you know, they're they're shifty, they're small, they're athletic, or even some of the bigger guys, right who can catch the football out of the backfield. We'll talk about some of them in a minute, but like they need to be able to do like the most important part of being a third down back, which is pass protect and I think that sometimes it doesn't always show up on film, and I got to remind myself to every year we watch this, I'm very very rarely and I'm like, oh, this guy's are really a pass protector because it's again in they're trying to get guys out routes or you're not.
Speaker 3: Asking him to do it.
Speaker 2: That's much, yeah, for sure. And I mean what de Q has said, uh he said it before here. If you're going to be a running back on this team for the Commanders, you're gonna you're gonna get in it. You're gonna mix it up with pass blocking. And that's one of the reasons that they brought in Austin Eckler because that's what he It's one of the things he loves to do. He will get in there and scrap and I wanted to bring that attitude and that energy into that running back room. So coaches look for that. It's not just EQ and the Commanders, I think almost all coaches look for that. You got to be an extra special player to not bring that to a team and see any time on the field. But I want to ask you real quickly about some terms. We do this every time of things that you're going to say. Here, you already said muddy. So a muddy run. What's the money run?
Speaker 1: Yeah, somebody run. It's like, you know, you're running inside zone. There's not a lot of movement, there's maybe a free runner in the hole, Like, can you get back to the line of scrimmage? Can you make this? Like? Can you keep us on schedule? And there's guy in this class who, like I didn't, I don't really like love him as a prospect for a myriad of reasons. But he does that better than anybody I've seen the last couple of years. And that's why he's high on the list, you know what I mean, Because your ability to keep the offense on schedule. Hey, we didn't block the middle linebacker on this run through. But you make a miss, you break a tack, you fall forward, you find like this tight crease, you're able to cram it in there, and a run that should have been tackled for a loss of one is now a gain of three. And if you can do that matter, and if you look at like some of the stuff that happens around the NFL when you say, like, what makes this back special is their ability to keep you on schedule offensively, because I don't want to be in second and ten as an offensive coordinator if I call a first down run. So getting a back that again can elevate your offensive line and put you in the best position to be successful. Like, to me, that's that is I don't want to say the most important thing, but it's definitely like one A, one B with some other traits that I look for in running backs.
Speaker 2: All Right, how do you determine the vision of a running back when evaluating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think the thing is like probably because like we did so much stuff here with outside zone, gap team stuff with a myriad of teams that I that I played with, Right, is you kind of get a feel for where the ball should go, and then you've watched enough football to know that like if this happens, then this should happen, and if that happens, then this happens like ABC and then D option right, And so sometimes when you're watching a back run, like you can kind of feel the way the run is progressing, and they call it riding the wave right, So like first gaps closed, I got to bounce it back when more, second gas closed, got to bounce back when more, Oh this gaps open, put my foot in the ground and hit it hard, get downhill and drive and attack that line of scrimmage. And so that's kind of what I'm looking at. And when I see a back kind of run to darkness, like running to the back of the offensive line and I try to plow forward for four I'm like, you didn't read it out, your vision wasn't.
Speaker 2: Or miss the whole, or it closes too quickly because it weren't decisive enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's a great way to put it.
Speaker 2: Up, because sometimes you get running backs that when they're working on their vision, it is like, like you said, like following a wave, okay, this is closed as close all right, foot in the ground off.
Speaker 3: But then there's also times where they're too patient.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh this is and by the time they that like, oh should I go, it's closed.
Speaker 3: So it's hitting it.
Speaker 2: It's being patient, but also knowing as soon as that opens, you got to make a decision and go right.
Speaker 1: I think that's exactly right. And there's a couple of guys that do that really really well in this class.
Speaker 2: And the last one I want to talk to you about is contact balance because I felt like a lot of guys in this class have good contact balance, so we're gonna mention it a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, contact balance, I think is another one of those traits. It's like sneaky underrated for a back because even as oh, can you make a guy miss, can you hit an explosive run, but contact balance is equally as important. There's a guy number nine on my list actually who I remember watching a game he had against Virginia and he just had terrible contact balance and like an arm tackle, you know, a defensive tackle be falling off, get an arm on him and he'd fall down. You're like, man, that's a fifteen yard run if you can get out of that arm tackle. And so the ability to like keep your balance, survive contact, stay on your feet is to me one of I don't again. Like we talked about muddy runs and they go. They work so well together. Muddy runs and contact balance are so closely tied. And honestly, muddy runs they have contact balance. It's got vision in there, right. All those things factor in, but it's a big part, especially for a bigger back. You better have good contact balance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of the times, like running backs very rarely don't get touched, like Saquon was like a freak this year because of that offensive line he had. He like led the league in most yardage before contact, which is insane that you have that end his athletic ability, right, So when that's one of the reasons he had such an amazing year. But most of the time, you're gonna not make someone juke out of their shoes where a defender is going to fall down on that put some sort of hand or something on you, so they're gonna hit you in some way or another.
Speaker 3: It's just can you knit.
Speaker 2: Negate that contact to be hard enough to knock you over and it's like I can absorb a little bit of that, like take that and keep moving, right, That's what you're looking.
Speaker 1: For one hundred percent. So I think those are actually some really good terms that you picked out there to kind of review because if you have these things, if you have contact, contact balance, open field creation, good vision, and you can survive money runs like you're good, you're good back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we have a lot of good ones. So let's start at number ten for you. It is out of UCF Central Florida.
Speaker 1: Yeah, RJ. Harvey. So he was a guy at the Senior Bowl, and really it's like a tie between him and DJ Giddon. So I guess we'll talk about both those guys right now, just to kind of clear it up.
Speaker 3: Okay, So R J.
Speaker 1: Harvey is a little undersized. He's like five nine two and nine pounds, but he is explosive. He is, he's a home run waiting to happen. You know. They run kind of this spread offenseentate uc They got a little speed option in there. If he gets to the perimeter, man, he is he's lightning in a bottle and he's got the juice. I think he ran a four. He was like the third fastest forty at the combine and it shows up on tape. He's a great accelerator. I love watching him accelerate through the hole. That's something to other. Another thing about backs that's kind of underrated. I don't really care about the top end speed as much, but I want to see you just burst through the hole. And I think he's got a good feel for that. I think he catches the ball pretty good out of the backfield and that's pretty exciting, and so I think he kind of fits in that mole of like and it's funny. After I did my list, I was like, man, I really thought about this from like a commander's perspective, like what would make the commander's offense better? And I do think he would make the offense better because he's an explosive playmaker that has really good feel as a runner. The reason he's ten on my list is because he's a little on the smaller side, and also I don't think he maximizes muddy runs very well. He runs hard, like it's not about a running hard thing. His visions to me a little bit sometimes I kind of like what you're talking about, Like he'll see the cut and he's so explosive and so twitchy, but he's a little late rush and so like at the NFL level, obviously that can get better, but catches the football well. I think it's going to be definitely a contributor in terms of the return game. Really like him, and then so I said to kind of ten a ten B here. DJ Gettings from Kansas State is the other one. And he is a guy that feels like could be a starting back in the NFL. Got really good vision, kind of sneaky speed, reminds me a little bit like Alvin Kamara, kind of this upright running style can make you miss. Like you talk about good contact ballos, good open field creation, pretty good in muddy run situations, good vision. The thing about him that again, I think he catches the ball well, like I really like him as a back. And it's crazy we're talking about two guys that I like a lot at ten here. But the thing about him is like there's times where I'm like, how hard are you running? Are you running? Like I didn't get the energy from him, if that makes sense, which is weird, which is weird to kind of talk about. But yeah, both those guys good football players, and I think, you know, would make the commander significantly better. But R. J. Harvey he's on the list because he's explosive, catches the ball well and brings the juice.
Speaker 3: Man runs hard and Giddings is like right there for you.
Speaker 1: Mean, they're the same. It just depends on schematically, like what you're looking at. If you're looking for more like a bell cow like first and second down guy with some third down upside. I think Giddens is excellent. And think about Gidding's again, like there's certain like and this is probably me just being like a hard oh like traditionalist, like I want to see you finish runs and sometimes like he's stepping out of bounds, he's kind of taking a knee and you're like, why are we doing that? You know what I mean? Everything else on this run was great, let's let's finish with violence and kind of set the tone here. But a good player.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So with RJ.
Speaker 2: Harvey, one of the things I think I noticed to your explosiveness that like I really liked about him and I didn't like it was something that I wasn't looking for. It just kind of popped up and I went, oh, I should look for this more across all positions. But it just popped up with him is that he varies his speed really well while running. So what I mean by that is like he'll explode and hit the hole and he'll start going, and then he'll see that defenders are setting up angles on him, so he'll pull back the throttle just to hear and then go and then back and then go. It was really hard for defenders to ever line them up because he was never unless he was in open field and he was just out running everybody. If there were people coming towards him, he was constantly it was almost like foot tapping on the gas every now and then to give like it put defenders off balance for them and couldn't line up angles. And I was like, that's really smart. That's just smart running. And he did it extremely well. I personally really loved with my Jack guys Giddins.
Speaker 3: I think this guy is a sleeper in the draft class.
Speaker 1: Know if he's a sleeper, I mean yeah, but.
Speaker 3: I think I think, I think he's really good.
Speaker 1: And I think that's why it's weird talking about him, because like obviously R. J. Harvey for the Commanders would be a better fit potentially, you know, in terms of playmaking, pass catching upside potentially, But if you're looking for someone to kind of come in and maybe share the load with b Rob or you know, kind of work out that first and second down back, Giddens would be more of a fit. Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like he's because again, like he's like I said, I just compared Malvin Kamara, like he does some really.
Speaker 3: Really special stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: But I think it's he's a guy that we talk about this every show like that I would need to get an interview with right to get a feel for, like how are you actually wired? Are you competitive? Are you? It's really the competitiveness.
Speaker 2: So let me say this to you. Then, because I really liked him, I did a little more research on him. That tends to be what I do. So, Like, first off, holy moly, this dude can juke. Like when we're talking about like making people miss, like it's hard for defenders to just get their hands on them, and like heard, contact isn't enough for him, It ignores it. You've got to wrap him up or he's going to keep going. But here's what I really liked about about him, other than like that smooth, gliding jukie running style. He started playing high school or started playing football in his senior year of high school, really and he was a walk on for Kansas State. So that's why he wasn't high.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I think that's why he's not high on people's board right now because he's kind of under.
Speaker 1: He's like the tenth back, like he's gonna go.
Speaker 2: To he's going to be higher than I think he's I think he's going to end up being like I think I sent you my list, Like he's going to be up there in this draft class, I think, And I think it's a lot of this, Like he's still raw and he is a grinder and a worker. This just feels like a commander to me. Like I'm not saying we should take him or we need to take him. What I'm talking about is like the the the mentality. It just feels like I just started playing football. I kind of like this, I'm gonna put work in, I'm gonna walk on. I'm like nothing's going to be given to me, and I'm gonna go take.
Speaker 1: It on your list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like I don't know, that's what I really like about him. I like all these bags, by the way, Like there's not one that I'm gonna be upset with.
Speaker 1: I think that's the other thing too. It's just kind of like what's your flavor kind of like with receiver, it's like what's your flavor? What are you looking for? And that's the thing that's really hard to determine for a team like the Washington Commanders because this Giddings could he be a starting caliber back in the NFL. Yeah, I think so. Could R J. Harvey be a kind of a difference making third down darren Sprolls esque type of guy, like just as the archetype of that position. Yeah, it just depends on what your what your vision is for the offense and how they think he's gonna fit. But I think he's a He's a fun player to watch again, Like I want to see him finish runs a little bit more violently, but makes people miss good good vision can maximize money runs. Like he's a really good football player. And the fact we're talking about him for me at ten, for you at five is interesting. And he always like watching the Todd McShay show. He has him at fourteen, so obviously, like.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean. He's kind of all over the place. I mean, I'm just a guy that watches.
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying this to your point though, is the difference between five and fourteen in this class is not that much because it's because it's stylistically what are you looking for? And I think this is like I did a draft show for my other podcast recently and everyone was freaking out about something and we're doing the show off of my evaluations that I do on this show, right, And if you disagree with that, that's part of the draft process, right, Like if we were in a meeting and and you're the running back coach, you say, Man, I love Gettin's as the GM. I'm going to put him up the board a little bit because I know you're excited to work with him. I know you're excited for the skill set, and I also think it fits. So like that's where like the subjectivity of the draft is like at the forefront.
Speaker 2: All right, so let's stay in kind of the Well, it's a little bit outside the DMV area, but I bet they are Virginia Tech fans around. So number nine for you, who is it?
Speaker 1: Basil Tutin from Virginia Tech. And this one was an interesting watch for me because like he's he ran the fastest forty at the combine. He had crazy jump numbers, Like he is an explosive dude. I watched the game against Virginia and I was a little disappointed, and so came out of it and I was like, man, he's trying to bounce every run. He's not got great contact balance, Like what's going on? And I kind of got away from it, and then I went and watched the game he had against Miami, and I watched the game out against Florida State, and I was like, this dude is an absolute maniac. And it was really weird to see just the total difference in thought. Because you watch him against Florida State, he's breaking context. You see the lower half strength. Obviously, the four to two shows up at every time he touches the football. You're like holding your breath like he's like everyone says, Oh, he doesn't like you've heard this before, Like he doesn't play that fast, Like he for sure plays that fast. Right, So he's an explosive. He's got a track background, and so I thought again, like if you're looking to add juice to an offense in the same kind of mold, he's not this player, not this player, but like you think about what Jamior Gibbs did for the Troy Lions, he's got that ability. He's not as big, his acceleration's not as good, but I think when he's at his best, he's got good lower half.
Speaker 3: Tree're talking about that type of role, that type of role right.
Speaker 1: Right, like where it's like you got like a bell cow guy, and here's your change up pitch, and it is a fastball right down the middle, and no one can touch it because he's so damn fast. So I think that's the way I view him as a player. And again, when you watch the Miami game, breaking tackles, finishing, runs square, and his pads up, maximizing muney runs in that game, which is something he didn't do in the Virginia game. So I almost didn't have my list. Go back and watch these two games, I'm like, Okay, he feels like a guy that can make a difference in an NFL offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And he's like built, dense and thick in the lower en yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like on film he looks sick at the combine. When we saw him, didn't look that way, but on film he looks like a little bit like a muscle hamster kind of guy.
Speaker 3: All Right, So number eight for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah for me, is this is maybe maybe my favorite running back in the entire class.
Speaker 3: Okay, So why at number eight.
Speaker 1: Then, Smith Smu I think partially because it's like role. It's like where he goes is gonna be really important. So he's a converted wide receiver from SMU and I love his like slashing style, like you get in the football inside zone, Like there's certain guys you get in the ball and it's like you don't you don't hold your breath, you know. Like even though R. J. Harvey is really fast, I'm not like like with him because of how he hits the hole, how he gets downhill, how he crosses lines, and how he can get make people miss. The next level, I'm like, oh my gosh, I can't wait for this guy to touch the football.
Speaker 2: He looks like a wide receiver running the ball, not in his build, but in like the way like you said, hard cuts.
Speaker 1: Hard cuts, gets downhill, can make people miss, and I just like, this is what you want in an offense that spreads people out. This is a playmaker. This is a playmaker, right And the other thing that I loved about him, absolutely loved about him, was he's a converted wide receiver. So you put him in the slot. You can run a fade, you can run a double move, you can run a post and go. He's got the hands run a choice, and he tracks the football. One I thought, just from an offensive personnel standpoint, a player like this is a total nightmare to game plan for because like we can be an empty personnel shoot even here for the commanders, like we could have Deebo Samuel on the field. He can be on the field that we could be in that could be that could be twenty one personnel pony twenty one personnel for us, or we could be an empty And now you've got to match up with all these really good playmatages, like if he's in a Kyle Shanahan offense, that kind of tree, if he's here with Cliff someone that knows how to use that skill set, that is a devastating weapon because how he tracks the football.
Speaker 2: That's so funny you said that. My last thing I put on here was my God, could you imagine in the field with Jayden, b Rob and Deebo it would be because defense is how do you don't how do you match up with that? There's so many options that can come out of that. Yeah, man, he is Joe a dynamic weapon. He also has speed that looks like you know in Fast and Furious when they push that little knas button. He's a competitive extra juice it there, like man, he goes And.
Speaker 1: It's funny because even though Basil twone ran a faster forty. There's times on film where I feel like Brishard Smith. It just ye, it's like he gets a little competitive, you know, and he's just out running angles. And the reason he's eight on my list is I do feel like he's a little bit situational. Like we talked about all the things he can be. He's he's a little up and down in protection. He Yeah, I think he does it okay with money runs, but he doesn't maximize Muney runs because he's not the biggest guy. You know, he's six foot, he's one hundred and ninety five pounds, you know. But I dude, I I love him. I love I love what he could bring to an offense just because yeah, like watching it, like again, this is he's we're not talking about receivers here, but like he ran like a little like box fade and like mosses the linebacker, And I'm like, running backs can't do that. They're not built to do that. So to get that skill set and offense would be tremendous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like I don't want to say a luxury pick, but like I'm not I don't think anyone's drafting him, going Okay, we're gonna groom this guy into be an every down.
Speaker 3: Back for us.
Speaker 2: Maybe he gets here in his career, but it's like, okay, how can we put pressure on defenses and just putting this guy on the field. And let me tell you another thing. I think he'll be a special team star, immediately return guy. Immediately he'll do yeah.
Speaker 1: Because he is, like I will say, like for a guy who's going to urt a receiver, he runs hard. Yeah, he runs. He reminds me a little bit of Debo in that way, like he's a receiver, but he's like gonna square his pads up, he's gonna try and run you over. And again he's more of a shiftier guy, but he runs with good pad like he's got a bunch of goal line runs on tape where he gets his pad square and like you know, it's able to find the crease and cramming in there. So I really like what I like the thought of him. Again, situation is really important. Usage is really important. And again, like you said it kind of a luxury. I think that's really good. Uh like analysis like kind of a luxury. Like he's not gonna be your starting running back, not right away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right, So let's go down to Tennessee and talk about Dylan Sampson Number Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a lot of people I know really enjoy watching his film, and he's a guy that I didn't love on first cut because what I did this for the running backs. I watched the highlight and then I went and watched the film, Okay, and I felt like the film was a lot better than the highlight because again, when you watch the Tennessee tape, they're in this like spreadout offense. There's light boxes like you've got to make they really don't have to make anybody miss because they're playing in these soft coverage shells, and you're like, how good is this? But then you watch the film and you're like, oh, like, here's a guy running through the A gap, he makes a miss, he finds the hole. That's a five yard run. They should have been a three yard loss. Kind of like that thing I was talking about with Muddy Runs. I felt like there was a lot of really good feel for Muddy runs, and he's got some explosive high home run ability to him. You know, I think he's okay in pass protection right, which is why he's ahead of some of those other guys. And I do feel like he could project to a bigger role in an offense, maybe not like maybe not every down, but definitely like a rotational guy in first down. Like it's interesting, Like I kind of looking back on it, I probably should DJ Giddens higher because I think he could be a starting caliber running back, like be your guy, So he probably should have been higher. But Dylan Smith, I think has that kind of the ability to do something really explosive but also do the hard stuff. Well, I just worry about his body size at the next level, but really like the player, really like very just very solid film I felt like.
Speaker 2: And speaking of his body size, here's the thing that translates that I'm going to bring up a couple of times because unfortunately it pops up in this class. He had four fumbles lost this past season, has a little bit of trouble holding on to the ball.
Speaker 3: I think that's.
Speaker 2: Because of his size, and like you were talking about, he doesn't mind the muddy runs and that you mentioned this before. Maybe it's a mentality thing with him that can get kind of cleaned up where it's like take the yards that are given to you because sometimes fighting for that extra yard is that extra time for that and other defender to come and he yanked that ball out from you. But if he cleans that up, I agree with you and everything.
Speaker 1: Again, you know, we talked about, you know, Basil Tuten's pass pro or r. J. Harvey's pass pro. Dylan Simpson, there's times where he looks totally lost in passpor like lost in passpor And again I was trying to remember which game was maybe Alabama or Georgia game, right, And Georgia does some complicated stuff with their pressures, more complicated stuff than that sm you saw the entire year, right, So to compare them is tough. But there's times where I'm like where your eyes, Like what are you looking at? And you know, like with Rishard Smith, Basil twon, r J. Harvey, like they're going to cut you down. They're not the biggest guys in the world. But I'm talking Dylan Simpson's like not going to the right guy sometimes. So yeah, getting that cleared up, I think is going to be a big deal for him. But really just in terms of the muddy runs, ability to maximize good contact balance, like all those things we talked about. The top good vision. I feel like he showed me the more film I watched in a big game against Georgia an NFL running style.
Speaker 3: Your number six is probably my favorite.
Speaker 1: He's a fun guy to watch.
Speaker 3: He's my favorite.
Speaker 2: He's so like, so let's oh no, let's talk about Cam Skataboo from Arizona State.
Speaker 3: I want to get his name in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the same way that Vishard Smith is like my favorite because of what he can be like when you're just watching the film. Cam Skattaboo is a ton of fun to watch. And he's got great contact balance. He understands how to break tackles, he knows how to maximize money runs. He's got very solid vision, he's got a great feel. He catches the ball well, like really does a great job with that stuff. So why don't you Why is he number six on my list? The thing I'm worried about is he's not a big frame. You know, he waged two nineteen one of the heavier backs, So pretty big guy, right, But he takes so many impossibly hard shots. I'm like, how long can you do that? The NFL level? Like I played it with a guy here named Robert Kelly, and maybe some fans remember him, who ran like an absolute maniac, and I just said, man, I was I remember I went to the Bears right afterwards and said, man, I really enjoyed playing with Rob because he runs so hard. And the scout was like, well, how many years can he do that for? And I was like, I never really thought of that. And Rob was out of the league in two years because of injury related stuff because he just ran so hard. It was the same thing with Ivory from you know, New Orleans. He just when you run like that, when you run with like seeking that contact, taking those shots, and you don't have a Derrick Henry, you know, tyle frame, I just worry like you're going to have him for three years and it's gonna be like, man, that was awesome three years, but he's done so again contact balance, like watching him against Texas, So Texas they've got Collins, they've got all these great defensive linemen. They're in the backfield. He's making guys, he's fine an angles, making guys miss like literally every run, he's fighting for his life. And that's cool to see a guy do that. And I have a lot of respect for him as a player, but I'm just like, I want a guy, if I'm going to take him in the second or third round, to be a part of me building forward. And if you run like that. He hasn't had an issue in college. He's not very injury prone, but it just seems very unlikely with how our people hit and how well people tackle the next level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he definitely lives off the contact like. I don't see him ever eliminating that from his game. It's part of his mentality, it's part of who he is, it's part of what makes him great. He is a smaller guy. Hey, look the fumbles are back again. He has ten since is twenty twenty two season. That's a lot of fumbles. But it makes sense with the way he runs and how it like. But here's the thing, all right, one draft night, Cam Skataboo is going to go higher than anyone expects.
Speaker 3: A team is going to fall in love with this.
Speaker 2: Guy, and he because of how he plays and because of what he can do and all the positives that come with it. And I hear what you're saying about like the longevity of this, But there are other players that I've found that play like him that had pretty solid careers. So when I watched him run, he looks like Austin Eckler to me, same size, same type of frame, same mentality he And here's the thing, man, he has weird loose hips even though he's not juke anybody. Right, there's a nice clip where the uh we were able to get the end zone look like the tight end zone look from the TV broadcast where he's running straight and his feet don't.
Speaker 3: Move, they say on the same line, but his.
Speaker 2: Hips just shift and a guy just whiffs right, Like it's that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: That way he can wiggle and run. And then at the end of that play, he.
Speaker 2: Lowers his shoulder and runs a guy over for another two yards, right, Like that's who he is, and some team's going to see that.
Speaker 1: And go whoa, Yeah, I think again, like the stuff he does is special and the other so worry about the longevity. And also I worry about his top end vertical speed. You know, that's something else I worry about too.
Speaker 3: I don't know that it matters for him, to be honest.
Speaker 1: But again, like there's times where he's in the open field and you're like, unhook the trailer man. Let's get running. And so I think maybe I'll say this is my own bias as a talent evaluator. I like to be able to like, this is the bucket you're going in. You're a scat back, You're an explosive piece. You're a first and second down back, right, I like to be able to say that about people. You know, I don't know what he is at the next level. Is he a third down back? Is her first and second down back? You know, like talking about here in Washington. I think he'd be a great fit for some of his zone read stuff because he can maximize muddy looks. But do you want to be living with him doing that all the time or is he part of a first and second down two back rotation, which you're probably fine, But again, like that's where I get like, you got to save him from himself a little bit, and he's not gonna be playing all the time because of that. So, like, what's his actually? Is he a good player? Yeah? Absolutely? Is he fun to watch? Absolutely? Can he catch a football, maximize money runs, good vision, good contact, bounce. Yes, it lacks the top end explosiveness, But I worry about role and that's that's the only concern I have.
Speaker 2: His role over one more thing I'm bringing up not to be just to be Devil's advocate, I guess a little bit, but I want to hear your take on this. Is last year we talked a lot about Jaye and Daniels and the types of hits he took and the types of ways he ran. And you're like, man, we got to clean that up because you cannot do that in the NFL.
Speaker 3: And he cleaned it.
Speaker 2: Up, and like it's competitiveness, and he says, I'm going to put my body on the line in certain situations where.
Speaker 3: It's needed running back. You can't really do that, right, So out of him a little bit, or do you even want to?
Speaker 1: Do you want to? I think that's the thing with him is like I never want to go to Camp Scataboo and be like, don't do that, because that's what makes him special. Like he's like a crash test dummy that like has a million lives and he runs like a maniac. He's got great balance. And again, his ability to take a lost run, break a tackle, make a guy miss, get you back to two is literally incredible, Like it's incredible to watch. It's but like I was watching who they were playing Arizona and he took one of the hardest hits I've ever seen on like a four yard game, and I'm just like, god, man, like, you don't need to be living like that all the time. But that's who he is and that's why you love him. It's just what does that look like? Is that as who else took that hit? The defender?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so here's another day. I understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just like, he's a part of me with like my my jag mentality. This is dumb, just a guy thinking. Is like sometimes I sit back and I go, all right, if he were on a team that I dislike, like the Cowboys, and we were playing them that week, I would be like, I don't like this. And that is something I put into it, is like I would rather I want this guy on my team.
Speaker 3: I do not want to play against him.
Speaker 1: The other thing I want to say to this, and I think that's that's a great point is I might be okay with it because of the lack of explosiveness in the touches. That's the other thing too, is you're gonna like there's times where like that he makes a nice read and he's in space and I want basiltoot and getting that touch, you know what I mean, because that's a touchdown. Yeah here, and with him it's a it's a sick run. It's a ten yard game. But I want you know, Brishard Smith, Basil Tuton and r J Harvey shoot, even DJ Gidden's getting that touch because that's that could be a Toiles house call, you know, because of the explosiveness of their game. So that's where if another team's given him a lot of touches, great, Like he's gonna run hard, he's going to make it tough. You're gonna be in a lot of good down and distance as an offensive quarter and that's really frustrating. But ultimately, like he's not going to kill you the way that some of these other guys. Like what makes Sakuon Barkley special? What makes uh the guy from Detroit special? The running back I can't remember his name right now, but you know what makes yeah gives what makes him special, it's that home run ability.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing.
Speaker 2: If he goes to the Eagles, Like if that was a thing, and he's sus like relief, Like I am, I'm terrified.
Speaker 1: But I think that's the thing. It's like they have they just they just signed aj Dillon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not saying it's going to happen. It's it's that weird.
Speaker 1: I think I'd probably, I think i'd be okay with it, because again, he's he's gonna run hard, but he's not gonna it's gonna be death by a thousand cuts, and teams don't play that way anymore. I mean, Philly maybe does, but like on the whole, like it's the lack of explosiveness is a big thing for me too, and plus the play style, like I just don't know how sustainable it All.
Speaker 3: Right, let's move on the number five for you.
Speaker 2: And it's our first running back from Ohio State, which one is it?
Speaker 1: Logan quin Shawn Jenkins from Ohio State. And I was it was weird. It was weird watching this film. I was happy with this film, but also a little bit disappointed with this film. I think I had this expectation that he was going to be and like so I kind of broke the backs up into tiers. I thought he was going to be in that kind of first tier, fringe first tier the way a couple other guys are. But he play's physical, he's great in past protection, he's good, he's a good blocker, runs hard. He kind of got this like my ability to accelerate through and into contact at a high level. Like all this stuff about finishing runs, the physicality that kind of football players, football player, it's all there for him. And he's a bigger body frame than Skataboo, and he understands kind of like when the fight's over a little bit better than Skataboo, which I appreciate. So I liked the player. The thing that stood out to me is I felt like there were times where like he's trying to make the right cut but gets a little bit foot heavy in the hole, and a gain where he's like going in the right direction could have been a five six yard gain, is a tackle for one or a loss of one because of some footwork stuff at and around the line of scrimmage. So I think I like the football player. I like what he brings. I like his projection a lot too. I think he could be a really good again one to two in the NFL because of the physicality that he plays with, but I think he needs to clean up some stuff in terms of vision at and around the line of scrimmage when runs aren't perfectly blocked. I think would be the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not overly shifty, yes, right of a runner, but man, doesn't he have like a silly acceleration through the hole. I mean when he hits it, it's good, it's fast, and it's faster than you think it would be for a guy his size.
Speaker 1: He's like two twenty one and he's not like top end fast, but again, like he's got this.
Speaker 3: It's that burst.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like he's got that. Man, we talked about acceleration. Now, that's important for a back. He's got that kind of factor to him. And he's not going to be hitting a ton of home runs, but he's going to gash you and hard, and he's big and he's physical, and I just the only reason I'm not a little bit higher on him, and there's the guy that's at four is above him, is I just worry about the vision. Man. Just it was something that came out. I was like, oh, that's just one game. Watch the next game would pop up A couple of times you're like, man, like that seems like something that's pretty consistent for him, right, and everything else is really good. So like I didn't really know what to do with him, so popped him right there in the middle instead of like the projection like what he can be like his kind of attitude and approach hopefully gets that figured out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I mentioned this analogy before, or like how cars run, Like a lot of people get caught up in the horsepower. It's like, oh man, it's got great horse power, but there's another thing that's involved.
Speaker 3: It's the torque.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Torque means how quickly do you get from basically zero to sixty?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: How fast is that?
Speaker 2: The immediate right off the line, Because you can do a drag race at a quarter mile and a guy can beat you off the line and like get way out ahead of you, but he doesn't have the horsepower that top speed will catch up and win the race. He doesn't have that horsepower, right, but he's to beat you off the line like he's got some torque. All right, let's move to Caleb Johnson from Iowa. This is your number four? Can I say something about him real quick?
Speaker 1: For that?
Speaker 3: I want you to go off of.
Speaker 2: He runs zone so well, and that's what they asked him to do all the time. So how do you take a zone scheme to running back have him so high because maybe you're not running zone all the time with him. What did you see with him that says, Okay, you're doing a lot of zone in college, but you can fit our scheme even if it's not so.
Speaker 1: I think it was just trusting that his vision was so good. Okay, it's like he just and again it's a little bit different, but like man, like his feel was so good, like you know, like, hey, this run is not blocked well, but I'm gonna I always kind of find the right hole. I find that because I didn't honestly like the athletes a little bit mid. For me, it's like he's run like a high four to five at the combine, didn't jump very well. It doesn't pop off on film in terms of like being super explosive or twitch you're being able to make people miss. But but he just he just does it right. You know. It's like it's like a bunch of singles right like where I'm hitting the right hole all the time. And I just was like this is this the floor of this is so high, right, Yeah, Like if you put him as your starting back or like rotational guy in the NFL, like you're not getting maybe the home run out of the park shots, but like keep it on schedule. It's going to keep you on schedule. And again, he does have enough ability at the second level to make people miss. He scores a lot of long touchdowns too. For whatever reason. I'm not sure if he just didn't test well, it'd be interesting to look at the GPS stated for him, But I think I think his vision was so good, like you know, like if we're talking like matting rating, it felt like it was just like, oh, like we were watching I was watching the Nebraska game and the defensive tackle that we scattered for Nebraska was killing their offensive guard. But he just was consistent, held his line, was making these nice cuts, gashing him for forty here, gash him for twenty here, and I just was like, this is this is what you This is what NFL running is. And maybe that's why I felt so good about it. Like I was watching an NFL running back run NFL runs and I was like, the transfer is like one to one, and I think that's why I felt so comfortable about it.
Speaker 2: All Right, let's go to the next Ohio state running back and talking about home run hitters and talking about drag racing, like this guy is the first fast and furious movie, that little VW bug that just like took off or it's just a little Jetta, not the bug, the little Jetta. But like he doesn't I don't know. To me, he doesn't look like there's nothing that looks special about him. Yeah, he looks just like your average running back. But he's got that gear.
Speaker 1: He's got the gear. And I think the thing is like watching him in twenty twenty three, you're kind of like a visions a little bit whatever, how hard is he running? And then you watch him in twenty twenty four and you're like, man like his ability to get to the right spot in the run, to make someone miss, to finish a run downhill, like when you compare him to quin Shawn Jenkins, like I like Dunkins a lot, but like there was just a polish and explosiveness and like a hold your breath factor to his game. And just when they needed something like here's a screen versus Texas, here's a big space here's a big run versus Oregon where I find the right hole and break out. And he didn't run a fast He didn't he ran a fast forty. He was like a four to two, a four to four to two, so not crazy fast, but no one catches him, Like, no one catches him, and you're just like, what's going on here? Like for example versus Texas, like the corner there at number seven, who ran a four to three, Like he runs away from him, and so you're just kind of like, whatever it is. Like everyone says, oh, like he's the Gibbs of this year's class, And I think Gibbs, like I loved his college film. I think he was a little bit different than this in terms of explosiveness, acceleration and the and the numbers at the combine hash that out. But he's got a little bit of that to him. And I think he does the other stuff well, like finishing runs, getting downhill, and he catches the football well out of the backfield, and he feels like a guy that's going to be a playmaker for your fence, yeah right away. And again probably more of a rotational guy. So if you're looking for like a starter, maybe Caleb Johnson's more like your cup of tea, you know, because he's a bigger guy can take those shots. Maybe even Quichahn Jenkins is more that guy. But to me, I just thought the explosive playmaking ability of Henderson was just a tick above, you know. And like you know, we talked about Brishard Smiths and Basiltuton and r J. Howvey, they're very in the same mold. But I felt like the level of competition, the consistency that he played with and the other stuff, the tough runs, the muddy runs, getting to the right spot in the read was just was just so consistent with Travon Henderson. Like I don't have a lot of bad things to say about his film other than that he's a little bit small in In twenty twenty three, he didn't do those things, but I kind of looked at that, look at that as a benefit, Like he improved in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got better.
Speaker 2: And with the Jamier Gibbs comparison, because I wrote that down, I'm not I don't.
Speaker 3: Think I'm saying he's going to be him.
Speaker 2: It's the role, right, that's what you want. You want a sonic and knuckles, and he's your sonic if you're building that, right, So if you are, you have your knuckles, this guy is going to be your sonic.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He may not be as good as Jamior Gibbs, he may not be as exposed good m Gibbs as special. Yeah, you saw him in person in that Detroit game where the Commanders beat them to beat Detroit and.
Speaker 1: We saw we saw him with the combine man Ran, I think it was our four to nine. He's like, he's got the same yeah, like it's a different speed, right, but.
Speaker 3: He's not that. But the role is I.
Speaker 1: Think the role could be very similar. And I think when you're looking at the running back position, he to me embodies the evolution of the position of this dynamic playmaking element back there. And I think that's one of the reasons why if you look at my running back list, it's got a lot more value at the in that type of slot, because I think those guys change games. You need that, you need the knuckles, right, but the sonic is the one that's gonna it's going to change the way defense is approached.
Speaker 3: Stresses M. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, all right, Number two.
Speaker 1: Dude, these two guys are really good football players.
Speaker 3: How close are all right?
Speaker 2: So your number one is clearly going to be gent Yeah, it's every buddies number one.
Speaker 3: There's a reason.
Speaker 2: But it may be closer than people think with these two. So how close would you say you have them? Were you like debating at all?
Speaker 1: Or are you like I not really, I mean maybe a little bit. They're really close, Like it's just closer than people think. Yeah, and I think like because like, oh, Marion Hampton, I think it's more of a testament to Marion Hampton than it is a knock against Ashton. All right, great, because like Ashton Genty is dude like man like everything you want.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, we'll talk about him in the soccer. So let's do a Maria and.
Speaker 1: Inputs Maryon Hampton, Like, so a Maryon Hampton is big. He's bigger than I thought he was. He measured at the combine, bigger than I thought he was. He's got enough juice to hit a home run. He ran a four to four to eighth the combine that shows up on film. He's two twenty one, by the way, catches the football well and he's got maybe the best contact balance in the class, like maybe the best contact ballots in the class. So that combination of like you're talking about Scataboo maybe or gent like, but he just got this.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of guys that have it.
Speaker 1: Strong lower half. He can break tackles, and he's explosive for a guy that side. So to see it back that big that can carry the workload the way he does, like he's a starting caliber running back in the NFL, and he has pass game upside and he's got explosive ability. Like it reminded me of like Eddie George kind of you know, that big guy that's got that next gear that can run you over then hit the gas. I do think I get a little bit on the fence about his vision sometimes because he is big. He just kind of crams it in there sometimes and like moves the pile and then they'll score it out the other side. But he's missing the cut. So that's something that I'm a little bit concerned about. But I thought the other stuff was so was so good, you know what I mean, Like the contact balance, the home run ability, the way he caught the football, like so he's able to make people miss like's it was really good film. It was really good running back film, and like then when I went through it, it was like definitively like, Okay, these two are up here. And then there's a little bit of a step to kind of the next group, which would be like Trevon Henderson, Caleb Johnson, quinch On Jenkins, and then Scataboy and then there was like another step down just in terms of like quality of prospect.
Speaker 2: Hampton is a big guy who runs like a little guy but isn't afraid to run like a big guy.
Speaker 1: Dude. I think that's a great one. I think you captured the what he is, the dichotomy of what he is so well there because he can do little guy stuff and he does it well, but he.
Speaker 3: Also is big by the sacrifice of that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, And so usually you get a guy like sometimes you get big guys you run small, and he can do small guy stuff, but he runs with such power, like he's like his lower half. I'd be interesting to see him like what he squats and stuff. He's got like such good balance and his ability to absorb contact is just different.
Speaker 2: And when you said like he'll hit a hole and like he's somehow like pout out the other side, like you spoke to that, I was like, I don't know how he gets so skinny and those holes. I don't see it. I can't quite see it. It's just he hits it. You're like, okay, there's a three are what it's ten yards? Just kind of like, I don't know how he does and.
Speaker 1: I think it's just he's he seems really really strong, like a really really strong football player, and it just felt like a little bit like a man playing with amongst boys at Carolina. So when he was at North Carolina, so I really like the prospect. I like him a lot more so people were like, would you take a running back of twenty nine? And I kind of was like, no, I'm not a first round running back guy, and I'm not a first round running back guy, but I think I would take either one of the one of the top two at that spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's going. I think he's going to be a true third down back. Third down back, I mean I mean three down Yeah, that's what I think, because he could.
Speaker 3: Catch the ball, he can run hard, and he can be ex.
Speaker 1: I forget what game it was, but I saw him. He caught a screen and you're like, he's great vision to set the screen up. Great catch on the screen, kind of a weird throw, cut the ball awkwardly and then breaks a tackle, makes a guy miss, and then has enough juice to just finish the run. It was like a sixty yard reception for a touchdown. You know, he had sixty catches this over sixty catches this last year in college. Like, yeah, dude, he's uh, he's like someone said, Joe Mixon. I think he's a little he plays. He plays bigger than Joe Mixon to me. And so like that's where the Eddie George Komp feels a little bit more real to me.
Speaker 2: I like that comp a lot, all right, Boise State, Ashton Gent He's pretty much to consensus number one.
Speaker 3: You kind of see why, right, Like there's not too.
Speaker 1: Much the level of competition. Maybe it would be the only thing.
Speaker 3: He's a little smaller.
Speaker 2: Yeah five and a half yeah, five nine, like a little bit smaller.
Speaker 1: But what do you wait too? Ten two eleven to eleven Yeah, so good size for a guy that height. But so maybe the number one statistic that I look at with running backs when I'm evaluating them is miss tackles forced. And he has the highest misstackles force rate in the history of PFF keeping that metric, it's crazy and it's almost a full half point, which is a significant fifty percent higher than are full twenty five percent higher than John Robinson who had the highest rate prior to that. So when you watch the film, like again, Penn State, everyone gives them, gives them crap about the Penn State game.
Speaker 3: I don't understand why, dude, you've.
Speaker 1: Made everybody miss He took like he took one yard losses and tournament of five yard games consistently.
Speaker 2: So Penn State one of the best defenses this past year. All right, Abdul Carter's on that team. He was, he was a little banged up, but he was out there playing. They have they have several draftable players on defense on that team. Who on Boise? Are they keenan one? Do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean aston gents, and that's it. Yeah, that's nobody's sole goal.
Speaker 2: So you have draftable NFL defensive players on the other line in a great college defense that are saying, you're the only guy we're trying to stop. And while Boise lost the game, he still got his he still carried the ball, He still make guys missed. There weren't those big explosive things that you see in like the level of competition. That's probably why his stats were so gaudy as some other schools, like.
Speaker 1: Well could get like when you're playing like a corn or whatever the hell school is playing, like he makes the two guys miss and then and then then he's sitting home run. Yeah for some here, but like it was to me in some ways, the Penn State game was like more impressive in the same way like the Texas game for Camp Scataboo was incredibly impressive. Like there's no big runs in that game, but we're we're doing the running back stuff right at a really high level.
Speaker 2: You're giving your team a chance to win, right, and you know what. They also played Oregon. Yeah, he did really well against Oregon. Oregon's they're not a Penn State defense, but they're good a defensive players.
Speaker 1: Think about when we did defensive line rankings, they have defensive tackles that we both like, right, they got an edge and Birch, who's one of the biggest strongest guys in the NFL. Like, they have a linebacker who'll be probably top fifteen in the draft. This year, So like what do you want from him? Right? Right?
Speaker 3: Like he catches the.
Speaker 1: Ball, he doesn't, I guess people say I didn't catch the ball a ton like when they throw it to him and cut the ball fine, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's fine, Yeah, he's fine catching the ball. I think I think he's better than catching the ball than people think. I think he hasn't ice hands. The thing about him is like it's the contact balance. I think it's elite, right, like better than some of these guys. You know, you ever watch Jurassic World. You have kids, you know that, remember when they get in like that gyro spear where they're rolling out of the dinosaurs just hitting them And it doesn't matter how hard this dinosaurs hitting them, it just stays. That's him, Like he's a small little dude. People are hitting them. He's just well, I don't care. It's just still going like that. It's a cop for one thing with him, Like he's kind of like a minime Le'Veon bell le'vy on bell is better. But like I feel like he runs kind of like that patient and then quick bursts.
Speaker 3: I mean it's perfect, like the style.
Speaker 1: And he ran. And I think the other thing too about him is Le'Veon Bell was good, but like, I've never seen anybody force misstackles the way this guy forced. Mister. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And it's the stuff.
Speaker 1: You're talking about, like it's it's like sometimes they run you over. But he also has this ability to like just change the angle. You were talking about it with J Harvey. R. J Harvey just changed the angle on just a little bit where the guy misses and then I'm keeping my balance, like and then I'm able to accelerate his ability to It's he's a special prospect, man, And I think you see that. I didn't really get it until I watched him, but you see why people have him as like a top five prospect in the entire class, and it's because of his ability to elevate offensive lineman again to make people miss it a way that nobody prior to this has been able to do. So I think both these guys are really good. On Myra Hampton and National Gent. I mean, shoot, I think all these guys are good. I think they're all going to play, going to make an impact on NFL roster. But yeah, I mean the ability to consistently make people miss was so unique to him, you know, I loved Jon Robinson film. I loved it, and I thought this film was better.
Speaker 3: Like he's just as smooth.
Speaker 1: It looks just as smooth like that. That's that's a good way, the smoothness. But just I can make you miss by juking you. I can make you miss by changing my angle. I can make you miss through acceleration. I can make you miss through running you over like it was it was. There's not a lot of bad things to say. And I even if if you're one of criticisms of the Penn Stake, like, I don't really care because I actually liked that film a lot, you know what I mean, Like I fumbled once. Maybe that's why you're upset about it, but it was a good film to me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So here's here's why I think about this draft class overall, and that uh, there's this standing now that is kind of out there where it's running back so.
Speaker 3: You can just get later, so you just don't draft them high.
Speaker 2: And then you have these blue chippers come along like a Bijon like Jamior Gibbs, right like, and they go higher than people anticipate. Maybe not Bijean, but like Gibbs did when he went to the lines. It was like a surprise.
Speaker 1: I was really high on him. I love Gibbs, and I was like, no second round place.
Speaker 3: You could get one there. But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: When you're drafting a running back or it seems like, if you're going to draft a running back, if your team is set to have the star running back, just take them, even if it's in the first round. And Saquon, I think, is a great example of this. The Giants drafted them really high. Saquon's talent was never in doubt, but they were ready for him to be on that Giants team. He goes to the Eagles and look what happens because they're ready to have that star running back. So if Genty, Hampton, like these guys go to a team that is ready, they are going to be stars right away. And I don't think that there is that mitigating risk you talk about.
Speaker 3: I think it's gone at that point.
Speaker 2: If you're not set with your offensive line, if you're not set with your offense, if you don't feel comfortable and you take Ashton Genty, he's not going to do anything for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think the thing about Ashton Genty, which makes him maybe unique in this situation compared to Saquan specifically, is Ashton Genty is like he does his vision, his ability to find cuts, his ability to maximize money runs is good. It's like a plus, and sae Quon's was never there. Right, So maybe you could bring a guy like this in kind of like Rhys Jones Drew did when he went to Jackson Jacksonville, right, and make your offensive line better because they're so good at the running back stuff.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying he's not going to elevate, but what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying it's like it that's it's just a different kind of prospect, but it's your analysis one hundred percent sound. I'm just saying like he's even more unique than that because of this other stuff that he does so well. So I could see a team and like we'll shoot well, we think like Las Vegas for example, like our offensive line is not great, but he's so good at what he does that we might not be getting peak Ashton Genty the way that Philly got the peak Peace Stateman Barkley, but he's going to make us better this year because of his talent.
Speaker 2: Well, let me say to that that's perfectly fine. Like a team can do that, but have a plan for.
Speaker 1: Him, right, that's the thing plan for all these guys really, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But like if you're going to take gent now and it's like blue Chipper, we want him on our team. He's going to elevate us, then you need to say, also, I'm committed to making this line better immediately, whether it's next year or the year after, Like I'm going to focus on that to maximize what we have here, because you'll run into a situation that we see I think quite often, and is why the conversation is, we'll just take a later round running back because later around running backs can perform very well with good offensive line. But a special running back with a good offensive line, that's where the magic acts.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I think we're just talking about it, like DJ Gidden's a good football player. Is he going to make your team better?
Speaker 3: If you have a good offensive line and you draft him, he's going to be great.
Speaker 1: He's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: But if you have a bad offensive line you draft him, he's going to struggle. But they all will. Right, It's like again, gent Hampton. They may elevate it a little bit and have good seasons.
Speaker 1: But that's why they're in a different tier than the exactly right. Yeah, and that was fun.
Speaker 3: Run running backs was great.
Speaker 1: Running backs is fun, and it was fun because they're good, like they're good players, you know what I mean. And again it's kind of like what flavor ice cream you're looking for? You looking for the big guy, looking for the small guy. And we'll say there's not a bunch of really great power runners this year, but in terms of guys that can elevate your offense and make plays, it's an exciting class.
Speaker 2: And for our Commanders fans, there are a lot of running backs here, a lot of them that if they come here with what Cliff has going, I think that's Jaden and what you already have in that room with b Robin Eckler and McNicol, right, Like with those guys in there, adding a young piece that compliments with what they're trying to do or adds another stress to the defenses we're playing, I think I think there are a lot of guys here that could be big impacts in Washington.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I mean, shoot, like even a guy like Jordan James from Oregan, you know his ability to like he's like he's not going to test grade. He's not gonna run anybody over, but like he's just a good back. Yeah, And like that's a guy that you can get in the third, fourth, fifth round and just be like, oh, Okay, this guy's going to be a starting rotational piece for me as a fifth round pick. Or like cal Mullings from Michigan, Like he's a guy that played linebacker at Michigan, converted late in his career, big heavy dude that gets downhill and is still learning how to run because he played linebacker. But yep, those are good football players, man. Absolutely, we're excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is great running back classes.
Speaker 2: I think this is going to be a really good class at the end of at the end of it all, like when we look back in three years, I think we're going to say there were I'm not saying there is a bunch of superstars in it, but there are going to be a lot of solid players in Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like when Fred and Santana talk about their draft class and they're like, this guy in the fifth.
Speaker 3: Risk, Yeah, that was a crazy draft two thousand and.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know when yeah when I think, but anyway, but that's going to do it. For today's show on running back and please make sure you like it subscribing. You know, if there's a running back we missed, throw it in the comment. Maybe that's what we're doing now.
Speaker 3: Are running backs we miss? For sure, there's a lot of good ones.
Speaker 1: But like one of the things I was thinking about because of this other show I did, if there's a guy you want us to talk about, leave it in the comments.
Speaker 3: Put it in there because we're getting to a point.
Speaker 1: Now where we're done ranking positions and we'll kind of go through maybe a fan, a fan selected position guy or group of guys and we can talk about.
Speaker 2: All these Yeah, give us give us your fans. We collected ten of them. We'll talk about the fan the fan top ten.
Speaker 3: I don't know that was bad, well whatever.
Speaker 1: Whatever, but that's going to do it for today's show. Please make sure you like the subscribe where we get your podcasts, and that's it.