Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Welcome back season five. All the smoke. We had a nice little break number five. This is your lucky number back a big season four us thanks to you, I guess mellther Green and I'm not talking about trick anyway. Man, we have none other then our brother to yo. Welcome to the show. What's up bro?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 4: They have you?
Speaker 2: Man? Don't you buy? I got you by h Man Hall of Famer, one of the greatest to ever do it. Play for my favorite team. Uh, that's when I fell in love with your game. Which one favorite Niners? Okay, Niners are I'm a Niner guide. So let's talk to us the top three greatest receivers. I put you up there, I put Randy Moss up there. I put jer your rights up there. Where do you rank yourself amongst that mix?
Speaker 3: I've always asked this question and been consistent with my answer. I would say I'm number two. When you think about, you know, the consistency in which I played the game, how I played the game. I played at every level, you know what I mean, even in the field from the short and medium and then you know, taking the top off and then just other little.
Speaker 2: Attributes of the game.
Speaker 3: When you talk about blocking things of that nature, people think just because you're a receiver, that's all you want to do, you know what I mean. But uh, there's other things. Like I said that when I came out of college. Those are some things Like as far as the receiving part of the game, I hadn't really mastered yet. You talk about bump and run, getting off different coverages, reading different coverages, I hadn't really experienced it at another level. So when I went to San Francisco, obviously, like I said, Jerry's obviously is going to be number one on my list. We have a lot of similarities in our game. We talked about how we approach the game. But going to small schools, I went to ut chat knew that he went to a HBCU school in Mississippi Valley State. But the coaches, like I said, being drafted to the Niners at that time, late nineties, you had the emergence of big receivers, you know, six to eight and boves. You had your Hermit Moors, your Jake Reed's, your JJ Stokes, those type of guys. We kind of set a train around that time for big receivers, and I had not possessed those physical attributes.
Speaker 2: Some kinds of things that you learned, uh from Jerry. Obviously he's your number one receiver, a lot of our number one receiver, but being drafted into a situation with him there, what were some of the early things you learned?
Speaker 3: All the responsibility of being a number one guy, some of those things that I just mentioned, I alluded to, Like I said, it's not just you know, catching the ball, making plays. But I was still, like I said, understanding that position, you're able to get other teammates involved, get them open. Even in the running game, you can you know, you can help in that situation, uh, and those running backs can benefit from the double team coverage and things that you that you possessed. So just to work at the end itself, I think that came with how I grew up. I was raised by my grandmama and my mom. So other than that, like I said, just watching his approach to the game every day, and after like my my my rookie year, into my rookie year and in my second year, my coaches they would always pull me to the side and they're like, yo, they saw the progression that I made from my rookie year to year three. Is when I made the big catch against Green Bay. They're like, man, you may have a you know, a successful career, just keep watching watching that guy.
Speaker 2: Right there already mass speak to his greatness again to be mentioned and amidst of those guys, I mean, really says a lot about who you were as a player, But speak to his greatness as well during his run.
Speaker 3: Obviously a better talent than I was coming out of coming out of college.
Speaker 2: He started right away. You know.
Speaker 3: He played at Marshall, a school that we played in our division, in our conference. When I was at ut chat Nooga, we didn't play against each other, but you played with Chad Pennington. And so you think about the skill set that he possessed. Dudes, he could fly, you know what I mean, catch the ball, you know, anywhere. His catch radius was out of this world. And so again he had that talent that I wish I had coming out of college, but I had to develop into that like after you know, into my year one to year three. So when you think about what he did in Minnesota, like I said, I mean, he was doing some spectacular things. And I think to his credit to it, and he had a lot of great quarterbacks that he played early on that was able to get him the ball. Like for me, that was a maturation process and the progress that I had to do and make to get to the point to the level that he was coming straight out of college. And then I only played three years with Steve Young, who's a Hall of Fame quarterback, So I didn't really get to really play with a stellar like that, a one quarterback throughout the entirety of my career. But I was able to make it work because I was able to work hard.
Speaker 2: What's life flight day to day now? I mean, still in the goodest shape as you've ever been, as fast, as strong as you ever family, still see you on Instagram running sub for five and forties, planning in Big Three? Right, what's life like now for you?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Just just trying to be active. You know, my kids are in college, you in high school. So other than that, outside of you know, being a dad and being trying to be supportive of them, you know, just you know, working on a few business endeavors, like I said, my clothing line, wine candle line, things of that nature. And then like I said, I do speaking engagements, as well talking about you know how you know I talked to like real estate companies, that different companies that, what have you, and talking about that is just educating them on how an athlete's mindset is applicable to what they what they do on an every day basis. Because a lot of these fortune five one hundred companies and people that work at these companies they want they want to be athletes, and they want to know what it takes to be successful as an athlete. So I always talk about, you know, my path to success, which is desired, dedication, discipline. Like I said, even with that today, like I said, that's why I'm able to stay and look the way that I do because of the disciplined part of my career because I figured, Okay, early on, when I mentioned I wasn't as great as Randy coming out of college, I watched Jerry. I watched the things that he did. I assessed myself against my peers and the talent around me and even the league. Once I started playing, I'm like, man, I'm not as good as they are, yet what do I need to do to get on that level? And so again when I reflect back on, like say, you mentioned my Hall of Fame again. When I got inducted we actually first got nominated. You know, I was kind of blown away because I didn't really know what that meant. I didn't know the magnitude of what Hall of Fame was because I didn't play the game for that. But once I sat back, I was like, Man, how did I get here? In my own assessment, I'm like, Okay, desire, I had the desire. I dedicated myself. I did what you know, obviously, the trainers, the coaches and things of that, and that you told me to do. But it's like when you think about some of the greatest athletes that play every sport you play, you two have played with a lot of them. What separates those and you that one last d is what always comes up, and that's discipline. And so I applied that, like I said, with you know, my three pillars of what I call my three pillars of success. Prototype eighty one. Prototype eighty one, Yeah, the definition of prototype. And like I said, I mentioned my physical attributions that that was what a lot of teams when I was being drafted, they kept saying that I fit the prototype, the prototypical type.
Speaker 2: Of body or what have you.
Speaker 3: And then I looked at I looked up the word prototype and the definition is the definition of prototype is the basis on which something is made of form. We're all prototypes in our own right right. And so when I looked at okay Yo, I was born to do this, you know what I mean. I found my way and I made my a way to become. Like I said, I call myself prototype anyone but everybody has a has a is a prototype. And like I said, if you figure it out, you can get to the top.
Speaker 2: When when can we find it? I mean, when it's coming out. Oh, it's already, it's it's already. I know, yeah, this is actually this. I knew that was it. Hey I love me, Hey yeah, I love me me this it is. It is part of that.
Speaker 3: It's part of you know, my journey, you know what I mean. Those it's like I said, growing up, I got picked on t's this and that and the other. And sometimes I had that uh that defense mechanism. Like I said, we all go through certain things. And so growing up, as I started to play, you know, I'm like, Okay, I didn't have all this this love and glory. I didn't have all the adulation, people you know, supporting me. I didn't have you know, people talking about, Okay, you're a top five, this your top five that growing up in high school, I barely played college, barely played until like my sophomore junior year, and I didn't really start to like, yeah, my junior year. So these are some of the things that I started to kind of like realize about myself. And then, like I said, I had no self steam growing up because I was darshkin, because I wasn't good enough because I was skinny. That's part of you know, who we all are. At some point we kind of find ourselves and we you.
Speaker 2: Know, grow grow with that. And so I love me some me.
Speaker 3: That's that's something that that I that I always kind of figured out along the way, Like you gotta love yourself first because you're gonna have a lot of people they love to hate you and then I hate to love you.
Speaker 2: Did you have low self steak because how dark you were?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 2: I had a little self stand Poey was hey that that that too, Like I said, growing up in uh a low, low, low income household.
Speaker 3: You know, like I said, I was raised by my grandmom, and so I bro I stood in lines, the wit lines, you know what I mean, waiting for the cheese and and those things that things.
Speaker 5: Of that nature. Hurricane hit that sort of we can get the Red Cross Hamburgers. Well, hey, so you know, like I said, man, my my success. Like I said, everybody has that path of their journey.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's it's it's it's always a different path for everybody. Yep, exactly. And so again that's why I've always been confident. Once I started to become confident, I became even more confident, especially once I realized what I could do on the football field, because it wasn't always there. I never ever thought I would play beyond the collegiate level. So and I played three years of college basketball as well. So again I never really thought that I have the ability since got got recruited to play there, but I never really thought I had the ability to play beyond.
Speaker 2: You teach at knew them this stephen A situation has kind of been ruined of late. I saw, but you got brought right. I saw there was an initial situation happened back during the Kaepernick thing, and you guys got into it and in the world saw that. I don't know how it kind of recirculated, but it has Steven Asmith one on his podcasts and kind of said his reasoning and his piece behind it. You're here now and we want to give you the floor to say your piece. Before before you say your piece, you know, we got a love for both of y'all. A show. I want to know, Is there any any light at the end of the tunnel. No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, because he's used his platform really kind of to really tarnish a character, you know what I mean, who I am as a person, you know, I mean, so regardless of however he started his monologue and his thing with his his podcast trying to build me up to break me down, we all see through that, you know, I mean, and all the people he's talking about that has reached out to them just now and the other from gms to players and coaches.
Speaker 2: Who gives a who gives a ship?
Speaker 3: To be quite honest, because I've had I've had people, you know that have reached out to me, players as well, you know, and some of the people that he thinks are cool with him, they're not cool with him. So before I go on my dial tribe, Steve May can't be a solitical because I'm here with these guys, but I will address some of those things.
Speaker 2: Flora George bros So. So the initial situation, to backtrack, the initial situation was during the Kaepernick situation where he was trying to come back. Uh, there was an incident where you him and Max were talking and you said Max acts a little blacker than you whatever, and that kind of got the thing going. So what happened? So from there, what happened?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: And on even at the clip, like again you said a resurface, It researched it resurface because I guess he did an interview with Joe Budden and he explained why he didn't like Max or he didn't like working with Max, and so obviously Max end up getting fire blah blah blah blah. So fans took to that interview and they brought up, okay, well this is why Too said what he said. So I kept getting tagged on the video and my phone was like, Yo.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 3: So I saw the comments of what have you and I just I haven't backed down from anything. I just said facts and just left it at that. He took offense to that then he went on his podcast and said that I posted it, which I didn't, and even in my response to that, and I'm like genius, I retweeated it. I didn't actually post it. I didn't go out of my way to go bring every thing up. It was only a response to that interview that he did with Joe Budden about Max that all the fans you know, brought it up. So he took offense you know, to that, And so that's where all all resurfaced.
Speaker 2: Now he I got a chance to see what he said, went back in Washington. He says something about a lawsuit at ESPN or something.
Speaker 3: Right, so right, so right, So I guess there was something going on. I guess we were talking about the Kaepernick situation and somehow there was a text exchange between me and him, and he on air he mentioned something about the text, which I didn't give him consent to do.
Speaker 2: I had you. But that's that's one rule.
Speaker 5: Somebody takes you, or any type of conversation takes you, do not share it on social media.
Speaker 2: None of that, bro, you just.
Speaker 3: Exactly so I didn't take the honest I didn't go out of my way to old file a lawsuit. I had an attorney to reach out to me like, Yo, that's not right. It's copyright infringement something along those lines.
Speaker 2: Oh so someone just reached out and attorney came and found you about it, and he said, do you want to pursue? Yeah, this is what happens. Like he can't do that. So it wasn't really human it was. I looked at ESPN.
Speaker 3: ESPN has dogged me over the years, mischaracterized me, having people having misunderstandings about.
Speaker 2: Who I am.
Speaker 3: You know, whether whether you know as far as my characters is concerned. Everybody's talking about I'm arrogant, I'm selfish.
Speaker 2: Of course I've had disagreements with some players, some coaches, but who hasn't Right now, question, I do not to cut you off. I don't because I don't want want you to finish. I do remember he was one of the back so before all this shit hit, you guys were cool then, because I remember he used to stand up for you a lot. That was the one thing he used to do back in the day before the ship hit.
Speaker 3: I think everybody realized stephen A was cool with a lot of things back in the day. But as time has surpassed. A lot of people have a different opinion about who stephen was then and who.
Speaker 2: He is now.
Speaker 3: I'm one of those people. So regardless of that, me and steven A, we ain't buddy buddy, you know what I mean. Whether he talks good or bad about me on his show, whether it's objective or subjective, that's his job.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I didn't know stephen A prior to me. I guess our initial meeting.
Speaker 2: I guarantee he knew about me because of my play before I knew about him. So we're not We're not.
Speaker 3: Buddy buddy at the end of the day. And so again back to my point, they're trying to reached out. He said, this is what this is what we want to do. He went after, Yes, he submitted the file or the claim to ESPN, and that's how how things started. But for me, for him to say in the mood or insinuate that it's a money grab or something like that, that's that's that's that's that's not cool, you know, mean to insinuate, oh, I'm broke this nothing the other because these are these are certain things. Like I said that I it is personal, you know what I mean? It's no it's no secret I had. I was represented by Drew and Jason Rosenhouse. They referred me to UH pro Sports Financial, who was managed, who's a financial.
Speaker 2: Advisor, and Jeff Rubin.
Speaker 3: It's public knowledge, bro, I got taken advantage of. They stole a lot of my money. Anybody knows me. I didn't just go blow my money, you know what I mean. So yet, do I have the means that I had back then? Absolutely not. But for him to go on TV and in sinuate certain these things that I did X Y Z and I'm desperate, that's not cool, Bros. I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not. I'm gonna I'm not gonna let that slide.
Speaker 3: So at the end of the day, and I told him, I called him, I told him, was Yo, keep that same energy. You're gonna call me a sorry ass and I'm pathetic things of that that I'm trifling When if I ever come across and keep that same.
Speaker 2: Energy, it's not a threat. But you're not gonna use.
Speaker 3: That platform to downgrade me as a person in what I've accomplished for your benefit, because you have a platform to do that and then talk about and bring up all these these these top named people or high qualified.
Speaker 2: I guess in here his name to demean me. You mentioning the Donary Vannas of Brian Dawkins, the primes.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, Shannon Sharp, you know, talking about gms and players to me, I don't go after him like that.
Speaker 2: What have I ever done? Then?
Speaker 3: Holding up papers in his podcast like he got something, like he got something on me and he's gonna expose me, expose me for what? I urge him? Do I give him permission to expose me because I've never done anything. You don't have anything on me. You got the world looking at me crazy like you got something on me. So if you do, please let it be known here.
Speaker 2: The one thing I will say about athletes that we don't really have too many skeletons, Like all shit is front, All of our ship is front and center. So I get what you're saying with that. So I mean, is there anything else you kind of want to Like I said, I want to make sure you get that out or anything else off your chest when it comes to that.
Speaker 3: No, I mean again, I just I appreciate the platform because, like I said, he had the opportunity to sit in front of his in front of him, his audience, his millions of subscribers, you know, like you said, he's soliloquy to share his thoughts with all the heroes or whatever the case may be. But for me, I wanted to share that with everybody, to give them some context as to what he's saying is not accurate, it's not totally true. For him to try to build me up and then bash me and and attack my character, that's that's not gonna fly with me. I want the same platform, like I said, to sit down and really share my story and let everybody know, like, yo, he's not who we think he is. And Steven A he's walking around like just because ESPN has pattered in his pockets with some millions, he's walking around like he's up, like he's an athlete, like he got.
Speaker 2: That kind of cachet.
Speaker 3: And then, like I said, mentioning guys that oppositely I think highly of talking about Dion and Shannon and these guys I come across with, you know, on a regular You know what I mean, That's not cool to be name dropping, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Because now I'm around these guys and I'm like, Okay, well, how do they really feel about me? You know what I mean? How do they think about me? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So that's that's that's where I am with it, you know what I mean. So as he said in this podcast, we don't ever have to speak again, never ever. But make no mistake about it. I don't try to be no badass, no nothing, bro. Anybody know me.
Speaker 2: I'm easy going, I'm cool. I've kept my nose clean because I was raised the right way, bro.
Speaker 3: Right, But you're not finna sit up here and try to bash me and attack my character in front of millions and sit on ESPN with your compadres or what have you and act like you bad and you this and that and the other.
Speaker 2: That's not gonna fly with me.
Speaker 3: But like I told him, keep that same energy. And I'm like saying, I'm not condoning nobody, but you're not finna disrespect me, you know what I mean. Because when it comes to the player that ain't got that has nothing to do with that, that has nothing to do with this, And you know what I mean, it's me for me, like I said, it's it's personal. So at this point, like I said, at this point in time, that's that's that's how I am.
Speaker 2: That's where I am with it.
Speaker 5: Anytime as a man, though, anytime as a man you feel disrespected as far as your character or your integrity, you should feel a SA type of work. You know what I'm saying. Any man should and you should respond. And unless you're not a man, you know what I'm saying. And and unless you don't stand on wars or respect, you know what I'm saying. And I'm and for me personally, any anytime something that's talked about in private and it shared public, it's gonna cause a problem, right like we like man said, especially if it's not an understanding before that, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying. So, uh, a lot a lot of things.
Speaker 5: That's that from my premiere in the what Happened, I feel like it could be a conversation between y'all because with the media knowing this and all this stuff being out, it's a lot of stuff that been said.
Speaker 2: That ain't true too. You know what I'm saying, and it's lives of it's been insinuated, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Because everybody's on the outside looking in read So that's why I feel y'all said down. You know what I'm saying, y'all might have to get an in box for a minute, so what or we can just bring some weed too, you know what I'm saying. If y'all got a box one minute, they talk about that's how we do it in the hood. We got disagreements with, scrap it out. You know what I'm saying that we gonna back to the stove by kid together. You know what I'm saying, that that's how we grew up as men. It's gonna be different. I get that, you know what I'm saying. But for me, first, I feel like with all the other shit around it, the being out in social media.
Speaker 2: That's makes it harder for y'all to get to understanding my person.
Speaker 3: But to your point, and like I said, to add some clarity to things like I said, and such things are misleading, as if he and I and I went back and somebody sent me a clip of some of the things that he said, and he's like, oh, he's not a liar, He's not this, he's not that. And again the thing is the insinuation that you know, I'm doing stuff for money. You know, like I told you, I don't have the same amount of money because I got taken. There ain't nobody business t o. But he that's what I'm saying. He made it everybody business.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: He got people looking at me sideways. And then even with the lawsuit thing, I showed you guys, he admittedly in the text from my from our text exchange, He's like, oh, I'm mistaken your your text for a tweet. Yeah, that's what the attorney was referring to. He admitted that I showed you guys that that's in our text conversation. I ain't got no reason to lie about nothing, and I ain't got nothing to hide. So for him to come out initially when he saw the whole facts thing response to that and somebody gonna expose me, expose me for what I urge you to expose me. But at this end of the day, like I said, he feels the way he feels.
Speaker 2: I feel the way I feel. Like I told you, we're not Betty.
Speaker 3: But I don't never have to talk to steven A again in it, in my entire life.
Speaker 2: He can sit on.
Speaker 3: ESPN do what it use all the big words he wants to to impress everybody that doesn't impress me now. Like I said, he's used that platform to tear some black athletes down, and even I'm included that you try to build him up, tear him down with your words, this and that and the other.
Speaker 2: Your monologue.
Speaker 3: Bro, I don't I can see past all of that. But you're not finna just do it to me. A lot of guys are not gonna.
Speaker 5: Say anything now. I feel I feel you. I mean shit, he still me up. I just the way he talked about me with the brall shit. So my boy, I ain't brought it up to him, but he dogged me. But I didn't let it go because I'm live still. But but right, but again those things right, but those things.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I'm still him. Yeah right, what he done right?
Speaker 3: But like I said, you know, I said, I can look at this camera just like he looks into the camera and talk to America. And when I tell you, when I'm serious about that, keep the steam that keep that same energy, my guy, Keep that same energy. And I put that on Alazon Black, my dude, keep that same energy that you did with your podcast. Keep to keep it the same.
Speaker 2: That's all I gotta say. I think before it move one. Jack. I want to come in both of us because we both tried to try to try to go to peaceful right and I just can't believe it and that ship for us to do it, it didn't work. It's c Yeah, it's smoke with spoke bout you guys before this ard and we both changed ourselves, didn't never seeing us coming. Pat's like, hey, but hey, it's good y'all. Handle your business, man. I hope it.
Speaker 5: I hope it works itself out. Yeah, man, just keep what's private, you know. Yeah, op social media. Let's talk about your upbreaker, bro, because you know, we know we wanted you to. We want to have you on this show. Definitely talk about that you and your greatness to you, our boy, you know what I'm saying. With something on your mind. This is a platform with people that we rock with, especially to come say what they need to say. So we want to get that off first because we fuck with you like family. No, And that's why I've wanted to do it.
Speaker 3: What you got it because I'm not going to go to another network and have them chop my stuff up and edit it. I want to see me you know, because over the years, like I said ESPN, They bro, they did me wrong. Anything that happened during the course of my career. I did an hour and a half two hour interviews, but theyre on the show like maybe five or ten minutes of the cliffs controlling there.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So that's why everybody thinks that I'm this person. That's why he can go on his podcast and compound some of those things and bring some of those things up as if I'm that person. Bro, I know what he's doing. That's not bro, that's not cool. But he wonders why. You know, people, why I said what I said. I said it tongue in cheek, but there's always a little truth to it. That's why I said the Maxine's black. I said what people are thinking. But now, like I said, I never bagged down from it, you know what I mean. I'm gonna be a man in my word. I did, and stand on it, stand on what I say, but it is what it is at this point. And then, but often you're talking about some of the things that I'm doing now getting ready to do a documentary to say, if we're gonna allude to some of it, I'm not gonna reveal everything, but yeah, some of how I grew up some of the things that are going on, even just you know, some of the things, like I said, me losing millions of dollars you know, through you know, through the recommendation of my agents at the time, Drew and Jason Rosenhouse, you know what I mean, financially, Like I said, yeah, So again, those are things that people don't no. But again for Steve and they to use this platform to insinuate that I'm desperate, and those are the day, those are the that's the word that he used. And when I asked him about it, he goes, I didn't tell I didn't say you were desperate. I'm like, yes, you did. It's in your tweet. You said I was desperate. Then he went in back double down on that with his podcast and say that I was doing this stuff for money. Granted I ain't. It ain't no secret. I don't have as much money as I used to. But I'm alive, I'm blessed, I'm a good I'm a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: I ain't worried about nothing. I'm good.
Speaker 5: I ain't ask him for nothing, So why he worried about what's in my pockets? They talk about your upbringing, though we got similar love brings. You was raised by your mom and grandmother.
Speaker 2: I was too. Yep.
Speaker 5: My mom would work six in the morning, me six and the even to six in the morning. My whole life sotot badly seen her. So I basically stay with my grandmother. Talk about having that, having that, Really there's a blessing to be raised by two strong women.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. You was raised by your mama. But look at me now, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So talk about being raised by your grandmother and your mom in Alabama. Oh man, it's like you know Alexandria, Yeah, Alexander Sandra City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Ari, it's in the city. You know.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I've said it a number of times. Like I said, being raised by two women, probably, like I said, probably may have been the best thing for me because it shaved me to be who I am, you know, unapologetic, you know, in certain certain areas about certain things. My grandmama grew up in that segregation era where you know, she grew up whereas it was racism to the fullest. Growing up, I used to hear her talk to her friends about certain things that she had to do, grew up doing what they couldn't do. I couldn't imagine it and didn't really understand it at that time. But as we as I grew up, and as we know what has happened over the years, you know, especially with the George Flour situation, things being brought to light because now they actually see it.
Speaker 2: Now, I know a lot.
Speaker 3: Of what she used to go through, what she used to talk about, and what we as black people have been talking about a number of times. Even when I went through got drafted by by the Niners, dealing with coach Mary Ucci, there were some things. There was some tension there. I didn't really think about it too much. I felt it, I saw it, but I never said anything. We talked about systemic racism. It was there, but I didn't let it. I didn't let it deter me or distract from what I had to do on the football field, because, like I said, there were some things. After my third year, you had skip Baitis to follow. He was a journalist or beat writer or something in San Francis. You would followed my career. He fell in love with me, then he fell out of love. Then I became somewhat of a feelin he started to do his show. Now I had a target on my back. Now everybody thought I was this way when I actually wasn't a certain way. But again, like I said, the things that I I've accomplished, the way that I've carried myself. You know what it's like to carry your name, you know what I mean. I tried to represent myself and my family, and I feel like I've done that to the fullest because I said, I know right from wrong. You know, as we grow up, if you don't know right from wrong, you'll understand with trial and trivilations and the lessons that you learned. I've never claimed to be perfect. I've made some mistakes along the way, and I've made some poor choices along the way that made That's what makes us who we are, makes us mean. So again, those are some of the things, like I said, that I took from from my grandmama, my mom, Like she said, she had me in like sixteen or seventeen, so she was working a number of jobs as well. She was a seamstress growing up. She made clothes for everybody in the neighborhood or or like just to make ends meet. You know what I mean I didn't have the I didn't I didn't have the name brand things that a lot of the rich white kids were wearing. I saw that, you know. I was ran wearing wranglers, you know what I mean, ahead shoes that were called pie crust because they didn't have no grip, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Those are some of the things.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I grew up and feeling less than because I didn't have the better of everything.
Speaker 2: And so my mom, like said, she she she made she made sure we look good and we were dressed no matter what.
Speaker 3: So that's how even like we were some of the fashion stuff that I try to get into, even some of the things that I was able to accomplish and still doing now, she lived by character through me because it was cut short because she had kids at.
Speaker 2: A young age. She couldn't do those things.
Speaker 3: So we're telling you about fashion, you know, home to court, things that my mom wanted to do.
Speaker 5: All those things they and to think about, we went without, but they replaced it with love. Oh no doubt that got us through. Like I said, our lives are so similar. But my dad stayed around the corner for me and my whole life and I didn't. I didn't actually meet him and have a relationship with I was about twelve thirteen. I went to him to.
Speaker 2: Live with him because my older brother was damn, my older.
Speaker 5: Was selling drugs. I wanted to be in a dog game. So that's why I moved over. Your dad stayed right across the street. Yeah, I had no idea. You know, obviously the neighborhood. You got you know, girls, guy girls, boys in the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: I as a pre teen, you know, I mean teen, left twelve, you know me. You start to see girl that I was. You're like, so I started liking one of my sisters, and it got to the points like okay, it got back to my dad, and so he had that conversation.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, you can't know. You didn't know. That was just no. Yeah, we were just all in the neighborhood saying so popss across street that you didn't I had no idea he had kids, Yeah, he had four kids at the time.
Speaker 3: The old neighborhood, I don't know, neighborhood. Yeah, but they will probably agree now that he was a rolling stone at that time.
Speaker 2: Up be news to me.
Speaker 3: I had no idea about his lifestyle, no note, but again, he had four girls.
Speaker 2: We all used to play muff and all.
Speaker 3: Types of stuff, uh in the neighborhood, hide and seek, things of that nature, and uh yeah. So I started having some feelings, you know, uh with one of the one of the girls, and it was Lisa. So and then got back to my dad because everybody's like, oh, terror lights, lease terror lights Lisa. So it got back to him and he had that conversation with Joe you can't like Lisa, and I'm like, what are.
Speaker 2: You talking about?
Speaker 3: Why Lisa's your sister. So that was kind of like how I.
Speaker 2: Found out who my dad was. So did you have like he spoke to you, but you just like growing up?
Speaker 3: Well yeah, so again, like I said, my dad he, like I said, understanding, Now you know his lifestyle.
Speaker 2: He got around a bit, so he was he was town.
Speaker 3: They played sports left handed, you know, nice at pool, all those things that I found out later on, I said, Like I said, I did a show on my own network with e yallabat ben Zotte where we did the show Fix My Life.
Speaker 2: And that was the first time the first time I ever saw my dad and my mom and by.
Speaker 3: Next to each other for more than two or three minutes. Because as I was growing up, I saw him around the town, you know what I mean, the softball games and this and that, and we had the rec center where everybody congregated to do certain things. I would run into him or what have you. That's when I saw saw him.
Speaker 2: Or what have you.
Speaker 3: If my mom was with me, I didn't even really know what was going he was. I just started with just my friend, you know what I mean, how I and by you know what I mean. But that was pretty much the extent of it. So, you know, like I said, mon story short at the end of the day, Like I said, even after the show, as I've grown, and like I said, he never came to any high school college and maybe to maybe a few pro games at that. But I commended him that he never really reached out to me. It wasn't like he saw that I became professional athlete. He knew I had money, and he tried to He never tried to do any of that. So I commended him on that. But as far as our relationship, it's cordial, you know what I mean. Is it like what I wish I could have had? No But what I didn't have with my father. I've tried to do that with my own kids, even though we've been in separate house. So and I've and I've talked to my kids about that. Even with them, I tried to, you know, make sure I don't use the word mistake and explain to certain things because you never know how a kid may interpret that. So I always say, damn made some poor choices, especially when my son got old enough that he realized, okay, he had other siblings, you know. So those are some of the things, like I said, I've taken from you know, how I grew up the relationship with him, and how I tried to move forward to make it better.
Speaker 2: Man. Yeah, yeah, what did football coming to play?
Speaker 3: I played football in like junior high high school, but I was just on the team stack.
Speaker 2: I wasn't wasn't that, Yeah, I wasn't. I wasn't nothing to be talked about, you know me. Uh.
Speaker 3: While I went to obviously junior high, played JV, played tight end on JV, then obviously moving transitioning from JV to high school high school ball varsity, I still didn't really play a lot. I had two guys that were starting in front of me like my junior senior year.
Speaker 2: They liked that. Yeah, they were better than I was.
Speaker 3: And that's the way I've always been rid us about my skill set, my talent, you know. And I was like said, like I said, I got a story to tell. That's why I'm doing that documentary. And so I wasn't that. I wasn't that guy I witnessed. I saw the talent the guys around me. You know, you've seen those guys, like I said, you talk about the Lebron's that come out straight out of high school, and then you saw the natural talent in some of those guys. I was around those guys and literally I'm like, man, these guys are good, you know what I mean. They were like I would say, if you had to carry there, they would be four or five star athletes. I was never that what people saw in my professional career. They would have thought that I was that in high school. I was that in college. But again it's I always go back to my three pinals of success and how I how I got to be a Hall of Famers. That desire because I had a desire to.
Speaker 2: Play any sport, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I played baseball, I ran track in those those sports. When I didn't play baseball.
Speaker 2: I ran track.
Speaker 3: When I ran track, I played baseball and I played play basketball as well.
Speaker 2: So those are some of the.
Speaker 3: Things like I said that I did as an athlete, but I was just on the team.
Speaker 2: I wasn't. I wasn't a top guy. Yeah, I wasn't that star athlete. Uh ended up going to UT Chattanooga.
Speaker 3: On the hills of a guy that was being recruited, recruited from my high school, Derek Hall. They see him, they came to see him. You looked at the film. This is when we had the reels. They was in there watching film on him. And at that time, like junior senior, I started I played sparing me. So they saw me, you know, make a few plays here and there. You know, me long strider had heighth the physical attributes, you know, the prototypical type of body, you know for a receiver.
Speaker 2: By your senior year, were you as big as you were? No, okay, six or maybe one hundred and eighty five pounds.
Speaker 3: When I when I left high school and then when I left college, I was maybe probably.
Speaker 2: Like two oh five. So what was a recruiting process like, was that the only team that had interest in you. Yeah, I didn't really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a couple of schools Division two schools that recruited me for basketball.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 3: But then, like I said, some of the offers, like a couple of offers that I had, they weren't really at big schools. So I just went with Like I said, I just followed Derek, you know what I mean. They were recruiting him, and again I didn't it was U T chat Nook. Like I said, I didn't really follow a lot of football and stuff growing up because my grandmother didn't really let me do a whole lot of anything. Didn't let them watch as much much TV or anything. Even like I said, we talked about my dad lived across the street. I was going over there watching TV, you know me know it was proud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so.
Speaker 3: She didn't let us do a whole lot of TV. Watching the things that that we had, The Basic show, the Bill, Coxy Show. I watched Wheel of Fortune. Why is this they make you turn the TV off? Like they ain't still paying kay, like people like they get charged extra cousins.
Speaker 2: All yeah, turn that TV off? Yeah yeah right? In my bill of my day, I used to didn't let us play the Nintendo on the TV because he said, well the color up yeah, bro. So yeah, so that's why. Hey, man, I remember, Hey, that's how that's that's that's how it was.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: So like I said, I would like say, I made myself into who I am, you know what I mean as far as an athlete. But as I got older I was when I got drafted, I was just receptive to the coaches that saw something in me that I really didn't see.
Speaker 2: It myself, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And I just I just kind of just had a step yeah, built like his steps back in the chip Man.
Speaker 2: We're speaking on college right now. Someone who's captivated as ship the country for sure and beyond possibly our brother Prime out there in Colorado.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Someone you're close with from the Jackson State opper, I mean from playing days. But then you know you support the Jackson State movement, You've been out the Colorado and felt the energy out there.
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: In your opinion, what do you feel like he's doing and bringing to the game right now?
Speaker 3: A lot of eyeballs, you know what I mean, are a different way, a different way of doing things. And I think what he did at JSU Jackson State kind of set the blueprint, really forced some guys to kind of go do what he did there.
Speaker 2: He had kind of reached his match, Like what else can he do there? You know what I mean? White Championships? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: What else can he do there? You gotta elevate, you gotta grow. So his next step, Okay, let's go to let me let me take this to one of the pwu's, you know what I mean. And that's what he's done, and I think it can't I mean, what he's wanting to do is open the door for a lot of other brothers out there, black coaches. It can be imitated, but it can't be doing there. It ain't gonna be the same to do with it. Yeah, yeah, that's d being dal It ain't gonna get the same. But he's setting and laying down the blueprint.
Speaker 2: It can be done in your all way. Yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 3: And again I think now, like I said, what he's doing there at Colorado, in a couple of years, if he stays there, Colorado's gonna be Alabama all he needs, like I said, And I've heard some of it, and I've seen some of the interviews. He's probably seven to eight players away, big boys from from being from being downb That's that's, that's all he needs because that's where the game is kind of won and lost. He has the skill positions, and he has those sold up tight. You know, they sewn up.
Speaker 5: So front five on both side right exactly, you know both sides, Yeah, sides of the ball.
Speaker 3: You gotta have, uh, those guys up there to obviously run the ball. You gotta have a somewhat of a balance attack. But you take what they give you and then nobody's stopping you from the air from from a passage that and you pass it till.
Speaker 2: They stop it. But again, that's why the.
Speaker 3: Rushing game has been has hasn't been as what it what he would like, you know, I mean what it needs to be because yeah, because.
Speaker 2: He got to go in between the tackles, get outside of it, and he got some guys to do it.
Speaker 3: But again, it's gonna take time and every game is going to be different, you know. I mean, he he has those kids leaving. Yeah, well, he let me tell you something what he's done. He can go talk to some penguins.
Speaker 2: For about a week and he'll make them think they can fly. I'm trying to tell you.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to tell that's how much he got those guys, those kids, believe me, I don't even.
Speaker 2: Look at it as coaching. Obviously he's coaching, But to me, he's being the leader. Just for what you said he has. It's hard for this. Every every generation is different to be able to how do you get the attention of these young kids and make them believe in, buy in? And to me, that's far about being a leader than actually coaching. I feel like he's being a leader of these young men and like you said, these dudes will do anything for him. Oh yeah, absolutely anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he understands he's been there, Dias fort Myers. He hasn't always had the best of everything either, you know what I mean. He's gone from rags to richies.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: He's going through and whatever scenario these kids think they're going through that they think we as athletes or coaches haven't gone through. We've been through there. If not, we know somebody that has. So he can relate to those guys. And again, like I said, the aproach and how he approached going into that getting rid of a number of a lot of people White America didn't like that. They criticized him for that. But how can you criticize a man for what he's trying to do with his own team? You know what I mean, He's bringing in his players. It's no different than coaches that get fired or and hired. They come in, they bring it, they bring in their coaches.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing.
Speaker 3: But why does white America feel like he's done something different or he's doing something.
Speaker 2: Wrong standing on the ship or sacking it up. What what you just said is what this white guy said. This guy the entire reading that's the show, and it was a white guy. He said, he loves the y'all. But he's like, he's just offended. He's like, why you offend. He's like, to be honest, why you offend? The white said, because we can't do it. That cop, that's not, that's not out that yeah he did.
Speaker 5: I was like, thank you for being honest, Like I loved, but I had to say that that's why we offended, because we can't do it.
Speaker 2: That cop, that's not. That's a personal problem, and you can't you can't.
Speaker 3: Fault us for how we do what we do. Yeah, that part, but again a lot of people think that way that really we talk to him every day base they may not say it, they're in our faces, smile on how to fight and.
Speaker 2: Talk about how to back.
Speaker 3: Those are the type of things that we as black you know, athletes and people we go through.
Speaker 2: The guys deal with. You said, you're out there work on some of the receivers as well. Yeah. Hell, he brought me in.
Speaker 3: Like I said, he got a big receiver, Javon Antonio that he wanted me to kind of help, you know, help him along the way, kind of grooming a little bit.
Speaker 2: And he's rough around the edges. And then like I work with Travis, I worked with we were on and I worked worked with.
Speaker 3: All those guys and a lot of the guys, like I said that, while I was there, they asked me questions. You know what I mean, talk about Travis as a receipt Oh man, let me know what you do on the other side of boss.
Speaker 2: Skills is crazy. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's freakish.
Speaker 2: It's how I can explain it. You know.
Speaker 3: Like I said, there are some things that need to ease. Probably at the next level, he's going to have to find tune. But when you think about what he's doing as high school, like a high school like this nice second in the league, and you see the highlights of what he was doing, Bro, it's it's crazy. It's off the charts to just think like and he has that that mindset of wanting to get better, like I said, And then you know guys that you know, from speaking from a basketball standpoint, you know guys that have freakis athletic ability to go from from college to the pros and they don't enhance their abilities, they don't work to get better, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: There's that they get the money and they're cool with it.
Speaker 3: They sign up for you say, they sign up for your deal. The first three or four years they cool. Contract year come up, they go to their labs.
Speaker 4: N No.
Speaker 3: But some of them they're go get in the lab, get their game right. Oh okay, this is the guy we drafted. Then they get paid again, then they fall off. But again Travis is not. He's not gonna be one of those guys. He's hungry. He wants to he wants to get, you know, maximized the exposure that Deon is providing for him, and he's learning from Don.
Speaker 2: Too as well.
Speaker 3: Dean is just not coaching. He's teaching these kids about violent every every day.
Speaker 2: I can tell you.
Speaker 5: Saying what was smart, Like you see, nobody ain't go talking about it right on this little show. Everybody was wonder how he was doing and what happened?
Speaker 2: How you feel pajamas? All right? Nobody exactly. And that's like I said, even when I was playing dude, like I wish we.
Speaker 3: Had when when I was playing, I wish I had those type of platforms to the spell some of the things that was going on. I was kind of like before my time in the sin like said, Everybody was like, oh, I'm outspoken.
Speaker 2: They thought out spoken was.
Speaker 3: Something wrong, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, bro, like that's me bing. Yeah, that was me being honest, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And like I said, those are some of that they like said, that was just me being honest. So it's like I don't like her said even with stephen A with some of his stuff, like he tried to use all of that to bring his audience in to talk about me and further attack my character, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean?
Speaker 3: But I like what Travis did, Like let me address what it is and I liked his approach to it. He is football, Yeah, you know at the end of the day, Yeah, nobody wants to get hurt.
Speaker 2: But we know that was a legal hit. You know, we knew it was a cheap shot. You know me, Yeah, I wanted. I think there was a huge question mark coming on can he do it on this level? And I think the composure he showed that last was a ninety eight the Senate over time Yeah eight point oh yeah, but I mean he makes every throw runs when he needs to try to sit in the pot right place. Half and he took tough and small buck. I mean that was that that the play with the dude hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he snapped jo, But that showed you the poise, the character of his team. Again to number eight Tomorrow's credit, I didn't know who he was from Colorado State. He was a blessing and a curse for their team because he rick having the first whole game and he but the thing is no discipline, no poise, he calls he caused him the game too. We got you got a face mask and then he got the personal file driving at the game twice with me exactly on another one right he's a dog. I said, I didn't know who Commuter was for c s U, but I do now. But again that just shows you, like I said, you know, that's that's one of the things that that that that one of the mantras for for d N d LS team is like being smart, being tough, you know what I mean? Care question, Yeah for sure, for sure. Yeah, But your point, he's he should have an L and a D on this thing. I know he just got the L, but he's a leader in a dout, you know what I mean. Like I said, I wish I wish I could have played for a coach like like.
Speaker 2: Then, you know, I would have had a dal a lot. Yeah, as up here and I'll see how you not want your kids exactly to the system. And you see that they broke a streaming record. There's they're sold out games national, I tweeted. I was like, Dion's got us watching Colorado or Colorado State right now in the morning. One, I said, dian I smoking stale. If I was to stop, if I could stop moving out out.
Speaker 3: I'm driving through a high end area of California. I gotta see a lady walking her dog. She got on a prime hoodie. I'm like, what, I took a picture and I shouldered.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yo, this is crazy.
Speaker 3: When you talk about the prime effect, that's the prime effect you got under like uncharacteristicy people wearing wearing your.
Speaker 2: Stuff because of what you're doing.
Speaker 5: That firston I ever heard this basic blatantly say that they hope he don't succeed. So one person, all of the mine of them thinking mad dogs, said it. But again I'm not, yeah, exactly, but again.
Speaker 2: A lot of them, a lot of them feel that way. A lot of Yeah, I don't feel that clack that is, he's cut from that bullshit. Right, you already know what it is. But again, let them feel that way, just won't say it. They ain't gonna they're not gonna say it. Yeah, absolutely, Third round, Again, you said you weren't someone who watched a ton of sports to land in the situation as historical as the forty nine ers, Yeah, to play with the greatest receipver bro time and Steve Young was one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. And when you first got there, what was the situation? Like, how was it? Man? It was tough. It was overwhelming because like I said, I came from a small school.
Speaker 3: We didn't have a lot of plays, you know what I mean. We had like a little binder, you know what I mean, but las for the year, things of that nature and game by game. But when I went to the Niners go into training camp, Bro, we had like a pamphlet, not a path. Look, it was like a book. It was like a book, yeah, Bro, that's yeah, a dictionary. That's that's what it looked like. Man. And so I literally had the process, you know, really just trying to learn the position, learned to be a receiver because I wasn't playing at a small school. You don't play the Power five school. You don't play that tough, stiff competition. I didn't play against a lot of dbs that came up and pressed because my ability it wasn't like right, it wasn't like that to even do that. So these are things that I had to learn early on in training camp, as well as becoming knowledgeable about the playbook.
Speaker 2: And then my coaches.
Speaker 3: I had my first two years, by well my first year I had two well my first eight years with San Francisco, I had two black coaches. Larry Kirksey, who coached the Jerry Rice and the John Taylor's and the Charrars and they sinew and he coach dam and then he ended up coaching me as well in JJ Stokes.
Speaker 2: JJ Stokes was really draft YEP ninety five.
Speaker 3: They drafted him to be what I did, you know with the following following over Jerry and so I just had to learn everything, Bro, I was.
Speaker 2: I was wrong. I was green.
Speaker 3: That's that's the only way, uh, the way to put it, you know what I mean. But I worked to try to figure it out.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I knew that I was I wasn't where I wanted to be, where I needed to be those first three years or so. It clicked probably like that after my third year, yeah, going to my fourth year in the league.
Speaker 2: But when I saw, like Ko, we have one on ones, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You know there's a period you have one on one as you go against the DB's and whatever.
Speaker 2: So obviously I would go against the regular dbs.
Speaker 3: When I saw some of the safetiests wanted to get into some of the action played me one on one. Like Bro, I knew that I wasn't that guy. They thought it was funny because we you don't watch film just like we gonna watch fim. After practice of the one on one, I was getting hemmed up left and right, Tyron Drapick, Drakeford Pop, all those guys, Steve Israel, all these guys, like I said, and then Tim McDonald, Merton Hanks, the Safeties started coming out to check me one on one. I'm like, yo, this is disrespectful. And we got in the film and it.
Speaker 2: Was it was tough for me. It was tough film to watch.
Speaker 3: And I saw like man Coach would watch it got to a point, like a couple of days of it, he would just go right by me because I wasn't doing anything. So for me it was embarrassing because I'm watching Jered run his routes, you know, Mike Harris running his routes. JJ, I mean, smooth transition in and out. I'm just getting hemmed up. It was a struggle. Not every time, but it was a struggle. So that's where I'm like, Okay, let me see how I can get better. Or I started working with the martial arts guy George Chunk every day after practice with the hands. Then I started doing the footwork. Then I started looking at other receivers, I started looking at the slot guy. I started reallying like, man, the guys that are being drafted, free aged that are coming in on our team is a reason why they're here. If they're not playing outside, they're playing inside for a reason. I'm like, yo, I want to be like Jerry, but I want to be more than Jered because I had the physical side. I had something that he really didn't have, and that was size. And I'm like me and if I can incorporate his feet, how he his escapability, how he transitioned in and out of his route, If I can do that, add that to my game, bro, it could be it could be a game changer. But it was to my my One day, my coach pulled me to the side. And this is a sign of a good coach. He saw I was struggling. You know, he wasn't gonna dog and with it. He pulled me to the side. He said, Yo, don't you like basketball? He knew I loved basketball. Out of my eight my years in playing football, I never trained football stuff ever. In one time is when I when I got traded to went to the Eagles, and he wanted.
Speaker 2: Donovan the words to come to Arizona to work out.
Speaker 3: So that's all I did, was who So my coach knew that about me, He knew I played in college. He said, Yo, don't you like basketball? And I said yes, sir, And he said, look, he said, you're struggling. He said, when you're when a defense did the d back of the cornerback is in front of you. He said, all it is is one to one. It's like you're playing basketball and you're trying to get by that defender to.
Speaker 2: Get to the hoop. Sack. Man, it clicks. Boy, if this was a cartoon, it would be a white Bullok. We go off from the top of my first there was just bricks up there.
Speaker 3: Fact fast bro. Once he told me that it clicked for me, I'm like, man, all I need I just need to get them out of the box, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Go one way they go and you go the other ways.
Speaker 3: But then, like I said, you can't hang your hat on that because now you got to elevate your game like that. The good defender, they may stop that. You gotta have a plan. B. They just they stopped playing. B. You gotta go to play and see that's all gotta happen within four seconds, you know what I mean. So I had to eventually progressively get better with that every day. And I started doing that after practice every day, started catching ball more balls every day, because like I was wrong, I was green, you know what I mean. I said I wasn't a top pick. I didn't come in like I alluded to early with Randy straight out of college right into the line.
Speaker 2: He was that guy.
Speaker 3: I wasn't him.
Speaker 2: This was caming makes. We would have gave him about three or four pall.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I know, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: If they would have gave me a book like that when I got drafted over, I would have given it back to him.
Speaker 2: But this is why I'm playing sports. I don't have to read. This is gonna make sense, right, Yeah, I'm playing sports. I don't have to read this year Steve Young? Mm hmmm. What was one of my favorite quarterbacks? Again? He played for my favorite team. What was his What was he like? I mean, he was someone who was crazy journey to get to where he was at to become one of the greatest efforts. What was he like as a person? He was? I mean, he was a good person.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean obviously, like I said, going there playing on the team really kind of full of stars. They had won the championship a couple of years prior to think ninety four was the last championship they had.
Speaker 2: And so me just come from Chatanoo, small school, small town, playing with you know, some of some some.
Speaker 3: Of the the very people that won championships and may Semprus the franchise that it has.
Speaker 2: It was it was. It was like I said, it was a learning thing.
Speaker 3: Because I said, I never had been thrown football with you know, uh from a left hander. So those are things that I had to get adjusted to as well, you know, catching from a right hander because the ball sped is different, hit the hand differently. Really yeah, yeah, So even like I said, early on, like I said, I wasn't really working with the ones a lot, Jerry and all those guys, the guys that was playing, they they were working the rest with Steve. And then once I started kind of you know, work my way to where I would be on the field with him, I could tell, like the balls spun a little different. I had to get used to it coming to me, approaching me a little different. But when thinking about him, I wish I could have had him or really a majority of my career. Out of the eight years of San Francisco, I only had him for three years. So yeah, when I didn't, Yeah, when I really was trying to found myself, he was gone. Socia Garcia, we had bro We had Garcia, Tim Rita, Jim Mooney called Kamarazi, Elvis Gerbat was there. We drafted no consistency, Yeah, we had we drafted Jim drug Miller. Played with a number of quarterbacks, you know, I mean, uh, throughout that throughout my years in San Francisco. But that's why I ranked myself where I do because if I would have had a solid, legitimate quarterback for like the tenure, throughout the tenure of my career, at least eight to ten of those years, proditional tell him what I would have done.
Speaker 2: But I adjusted my game to every quarterback.
Speaker 3: And people don't give me the credit that I do that I need because I was aware that I needed to change my game. And offense has changed, changed our offense based on the quarterback. But for me, I saw the limitations with some of our quarterbacks, like a Jeff Garcia, because he wasn't a stand in the pocket passer. He wasn't the strong arm guy like Steve on backuld throw the ball sixty seven yards down the field. That's why nobody really knew about my speed till I got till I got to feel it. They saw glimpses of what I could do, because the West Coast offense is predicated on precision and timey slants short, underneath, intermediate, then take it to the take a distance. They saw that, but then they really saw me take really do what Randy was doing. They didn't see that till I got to till I got to feel it. And that's where I had to adjust my game really kind of with every quarterback that I played, and then with the West Coast offense, they called something scramble drill. You know what I mean when players break down where you are in relationship to the quarterback.
Speaker 2: You know, I call it NYA.
Speaker 3: Make yourself available, You find what a quarterback is, You get into his visit because if they're under the rest, they're trying to get that ball out out of their hands. And so for me, when I understood what I could do once I got the ball in my hand, I made sure they saw he saw eighty one and when I got my hands on the ball, I did what I did, and like I said, I progressively got Vetter's receiver, you know, throughout my you know, throughout the course of my years in San Francisco. But I wish I could have played. I mean, you think about Jerry. Jerry had no drop off in really countable for quarterbacks. He went from Montana, a Hall of famer, to another Hall of Famer in Steve Young, and just think about the number of yards and the touchdowns and the things that he amassed playing.
Speaker 2: With those two quarterbacks back to back.
Speaker 3: I didn't have that, but I accumulated a lot of things because I realized when I started, my coaches helped push me to believe and see what I could be. And here I am Hall of Famer today, you know because of that. And I honestly, like I give a lot of credit to those coaches, even from Saint fran from Larry Kersey, George Stewart, went to Philly, David Cully and my other black receiver coach, Ray Sherman, when I was in when I was in Dallas, those guys, like I said, some of the things, Yeah, and every team that I played, those every team that I played on, Bro, I falled out, you know what I mean? And I attributed, like I said, the lack of a father in my household. They were like my dad's you know what I mean. They pulled me and when all the things that were going on, when ESPN was bashing me about things, when you had former players that were going into the booths, you know, commentating, saying and compounding things that they thought, and they heard about me about.
Speaker 2: Who I was the person that's the player.
Speaker 3: My coaches pulled me into We had those private conversations and they told me, Bro, you're not doing nothing wrong just because I was outspoken, because I was honest.
Speaker 2: That's how I was raised. Yeah, but that's how I was raised, Bro, what's wrong with that? Now?
Speaker 3: Those things that was I was heavily criticized for Villa five wards to norm It's being embraced now even with the touchdown celebrations, Bro, all the things everything that everybody really attacked my.
Speaker 2: Karen, We're gonna get to your antics because you definitely have some. Man, Hey, I was creative. I was creative, like I creative. Absolutely, you joined the Eagles, you guys end up hitting the super Bowl in five, You're coming off a broken leg. I remember you come back and play this game and nine catches one hundred and twenty two yards. I mean, what was your mental that day? How you felt after? I felt fired after honestly I said, I scared for you. Ah yeah, rynter roths Loo like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would be remiss not to mention this because my grandmother, like I said, growing up in her household with the church, you know what I mean, she taught me about believing in God, having faith, you know, And that's obviously what I hung my hat on when I had so many naysayers and detractors and doubters that said, and even the doctors that my doctor that performed the surgery, he didn't even medically clear me to play in the game. I had to sign a waiver to play in the Super Bowl. So yeah, exactly if it would have been a liabuilding, he didn't even believe what he had seen within those six and a half we leading up to.
Speaker 2: The Super So break that down, not to cut SHO off. So, so you broke your leg, at what point Sol came back? And so mid December early to mid December, we had two or three games left to go in the season. I called her.
Speaker 3: I caught her route and I was getting ready to go around the defense and Roy grabbed me by my shoulder pulled me down.
Speaker 2: And when I when I went down, I heard a pop, Like I heard a pop. Wis yeah, Roy Williams, he was a yeah.
Speaker 3: He was a safe thing where the Cowboys at the time, I was with the Eagles, And so when I went down, I heard a loud pop. When I laid down, I'm like, Oh, it's like I broke my ankle. That's that's how That's how bad it felt. So Rick, the training came out. He goes, what's wrong.
Speaker 2: What are you feeling?
Speaker 3: I said, Rick, I think I broke my acle And so he started doing some little tests and that the other and so he's like, he's signaled to the tunnel for the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm not going. I'm not.
Speaker 3: That's just that that mentality, that toughness that I had, I'm not I'm not going to go off on the cart. So literally I walked all the way to the side to help me to the guys helped me to the sideline. Then I walked to walked to the tunnel and when I got in that tunnel bo I broke down.
Speaker 2: Man, she hurt. So got a next ray. They really didn't see anything. So the next day I got an MRI.
Speaker 3: The MRI was took for my anchor because that's where all the pain was, and so I'll say the imaging.
Speaker 2: When I got there, the radiologists asked me kind of like, you know, what are you feeling? Where's the pain?
Speaker 3: So that night I had my leg elevated all night, I slept on the couch and at night so I had ice here, ice there, and it was just robbing.
Speaker 2: It was robbing.
Speaker 3: So I got there and I was like, man, I told the trainer and the radular the dude, I said, I said, I was in mad pain. I said this, I said, up up by my knee. I said, it's hurting real bad. So he was like, all right, cool, We're just scanned the whole leg. And that's when they found out that I had fractured my fibula. And in addition to the MRI images, it's like yo, they said yo. And then I had a high severe Cindis moosa spray, so I to all the ligaments over here. And then one day when they went in for surgery they found out that I had snapped my del toy leaguing too. So I had they going in looked at I wonder I would have had another surgery if they didn't see that. So that was part of what the pop that I heard, in addition to the break at the same time, because it all kind of happened simultaneously.
Speaker 2: So I played with two screws at the surgery. I had two screws and.
Speaker 3: The plate really couldn't do anything about the fracture. They said they just had to heal. And so then yeah, and so, like I said, it was six and a half, seven weeks to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: So when I came back.
Speaker 7: From them from from the doctor from Baltimore, I was in a limo and then I had an interview with one of the local radio stations there and they asked me about the surgery, how everything, how I felt, and then asked me, you know, do I did I think I would be ready for the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: And I told him I was honest. I said, yo, I said, if they make it to that super Bowl, I said, I'll be ready. But that was the faith that I had in myself and the things that have leading up to that how I took care of my body because I didn't get a personal trainer until like after my third year. So from year four to like now this is five years later. These are the types of things, like I said, that allow and enable me to recover as fast as I did. And I did other things too from Michael Current. I took something obviously for the tissue, the car list, things of that nature. H and I slept in the hyperbarrier chamber. I was doing those cutting yeads things before people even knew about them. But I had the team of people who I trained with in in in the off season because I lived in Atlanta at the time. Those are the people that, like I said, I Larry had everybody live with me, stay stay at my house. Those six and a half we used to living up to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: So how long were you supposed to be out?
Speaker 3: Probably three four months at least four months six and half season had some weeks yep. And that said the only thing that bothered me because they wanted some extra protecting I didn't. I never take my ankles, probably like the probably after my probably second or third year in the league, because I would practice without tape. But then guys would tape on, so I was like, man, if I'm practicing without on tape, I can play. So I never really taped my ankles. So got ready to play in the game and they wanted some exprotection for that. I tried to go out, so I did my my main lower routine. So when I came to the tunnel, it was cameras everybody.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I started to run. Dude, that tape was killing me.
Speaker 2: I don't really, I.
Speaker 3: Can't remember if I took a labor if I got half weight on the minit I got to go back in.
Speaker 2: Went back in.
Speaker 3: I told Rick, I said, Rick, this is too painful. He said, all right, cool, it's cut it off. And then I went back out to work out, run, do my low routine and then I started feeling pain up here and that was where the break was. So when I went back in, he explained to me, he goes, yo, it's probably not fully healed yet. And he said because of weight distribution, that when you when people don't notice, but when they when you walk, your bones naturally spread a little bit when you walk because of weight distribution. So he said that where you're feeling is because you're running and that weight dis it's stressing, its stressing the break. So what we did was he rolled my stuff down. He basically got some tape and he taped it this type as he could around the break so it wouldn't spread as much.
Speaker 2: And so that helped. And then I took a toward doll thanks some toward all pills just to kind of minimize, you know, some of the pain.
Speaker 3: I took that before, Boy, minimize some of the pain. But I mean, you got all these tattoos and just standing there sit down for hours.
Speaker 2: So mean, no, no, I'm talking about that. I took the toward off shot and how amazing it was. I couldn't my arm. And then I was playing in the playoffs. Oh yeah, hour later. Yeah, he wasn't paying after the game. No, No, I really was. I wasn't, And Bro, I was so focused on what I said.
Speaker 5: Yeah I was.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 2: I said, I'm a god fearing god. Bro, No, you're gonna crash, you go, you gonna eventually come down. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But it was, like I said, I didn't take a lot of things off because I felt good, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I literally I trusted the rehab. We went into an aggressive rehabs.
Speaker 3: Soon as I got back from Baltimore, I thought, I'm like, Okay, they're gonna let me rest up for me a few days week. Bro. The next day we went to rehab and they had the confidence that I could do it because they had seen me work, they had seen me practice, they saw him on an everyday basis. They saw what I brought to the team, you know, I mean that energy. And he was just like, and why my approach to the game every day. So they're like, yo, we're going to attack.
Speaker 2: This like you with us. We said we we with you, I with you, you with GM. I broke myself. I cut my foot off at the area. What was it?
Speaker 5: What was it like playing for the best team everyen put in the NFL history? Cut down kind man?
Speaker 3: It was Uh it was good man again, like I said things and didn't go well and uh in Philly for obvious reasons, and I had an opportunity.
Speaker 2: I'll say that was a free agent. Uh. Jerry felt like I was one of those guys that I said, like I said, you had had a guy in Michael Irvin.
Speaker 3: Uh, we had a colorful personality, what have you? Obviously that was the stigma of the thing about me, uh is that you know, I was that guy. But again and my play, like I said, they couldn't deny that, And so I brought that to uh to the Cowboys, and again I bought out you know, for three years with them.
Speaker 2: So again it was like, you know, I never really.
Speaker 3: Envisioned uh playing for them, like I said, I was when I was in San Francisco. End up, I stood on the Star. Uh that they saw a lot of people, a lot of a lot of the cowboy They didn't like it. Yeah, but then once I saw they saw me on the field and I'm winning games for him. Hey, yeah, exactly the lord he did. Ro tried to take your head off. Are you read when you went to the Star?
Speaker 2: That was George t Yeah, that was George Tea.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. But like I said, man, it was it was an opportunity. Again, like I said, I took full advantage of it. And I think I said with my career, Bros, like you can't deny like I said, when I talk about desired dedication to discipline, Bro, I took it everywhere that I went.
Speaker 2: Bro. I live by that.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, and I didn't really think about it at that time. But the things that made me to a receiver, I brought that same package, even though the package on the house side, the.
Speaker 2: Rapping was different. What was on the inside, yeah that what was on the inside never changed. So I brought that.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean when people talk about complete receiver. That's why I say that I'm two behind Jerry because, like I said, we've me and ran and we talked about it.
Speaker 2: Like he played when he wanted to. You know, he did a certain things. But again, like I said, it's like, okay, who do you want? You know what I mean? I had those disrespectful games. I guess us, was you a ring y'all? Destroyed?
Speaker 3: Is hey?
Speaker 2: Like I said, that's why we That's why we we were mentioned top three for best of the best. But what we did got a relationship with Jerry? No, not really not I'm feeling no.
Speaker 3: I mean he backdoored me after I had signed a UH deal Crazy two thousand and nine, Crazy and.
Speaker 2: Yo Ol six, the whole nine I had.
Speaker 3: But it was my three years after that third year, Jery called me going into the off season standing my contract had four years from the five million dollars deal and Then two months after that, he flew the Slaughter, him and Stephen Jones and my agent. They had some owners meeting or whatever they called. My agent he called me like, yo, he want to meet with us. I'm thinking it's like this is the year right before they played in the new stadium. So right after after the season, he had already asked me, like, what do we need to get over the help? What do we need to do to compete for a championship?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Me looked at him calling me, I'm like, oh, this is good. I'm looking at me as a veteran, you know, a post of what we can do offensively.
Speaker 2: So I told him that.
Speaker 3: Then, like I said, fast forward, a couple of months later, he advites us to Fort Lauderdale.
Speaker 2: We go into some hotel. We went in the back.
Speaker 3: It was started, the restaurant was closed. We were sitting at this table. It was a cloth on the table, and so it was Jerry Steven and then my two agents, and so he started rambling us, talking about you know, the organization, things of that nature.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Then he was mentioning something about me. And then as he was doing it, every time that he mentioned something about the Dallas Cowboys. You know, he would put something about Dallas Cowboys over here when he mentioned something about me, and he would put t o over here, Dallas Cowboys over here. He was mentioning all these things, you know, their approach and this, that and the other what I brought to the team. And then he had a pin writing all this. And then in between all this writing, he did a line and he said, we got to part ways. Bro. I was I looked around, I'm like my agent looking at meaning, I'm looking at him like what's going on? And then Drew I think I recalled Drew saying are you are you serious?
Speaker 2: Like what do you mean?
Speaker 3: But that's that's how that's how I was cut from from from the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: He borderline, I don't know. I don't know what the borderline was. I didn't want it. I was hoping you'll figure out that. I have to say the other one corterline race, I don't.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think everybody can speculate, yeah, yeah, yeah, sad right again.
Speaker 3: You can speculate that, or like you said, you articulate things to make you think certain things. But I think there has been instances where if that was or if you think that he was racist. He could because it came out of his mouth, right, he could have come out and said certain things. You know, there's things that have happened since the George Force thing where again he told you know, some of this player, if you do this, you're not.
Speaker 2: Gonna be on the team. You know, when guys wanted to kind of be in solidarity with the cause and he prevented them from doing that.
Speaker 3: He suppressed them. Yeah, I mean, you know, they didn't have a voice when they wanted to have a voice. So again, could he be Yeah, just because you do some some great things, or you do some stuff for some people that have played you and played for you and warn you some championship, that doesn't make you not a racist.
Speaker 2: I don't. But he hasn't really done anything with them. They earned that much, I get. But there are gonna be some players.
Speaker 3: They're gonna be players that obviously are going to be advocates for him because of what they what they what he's done for them, you know, I mean, yeah, you think about the micro urbans, the image sperienced and guys like that that they're going to stand on his stand on his back because of he's probably helped them out in certain situations.
Speaker 2: He helped them out right, you know what I mean? So so yeah, so yeah, I would, I would. I would probably need more to say he is than he's not. Yeah. Fact, you were in a time where social media, well when when you were at your greatest, didn't really exist.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: If they did, some of your celebrations obviously would have been viral. Go through some of your celebrations and just what was going through your mind when it happened, And won't start with the one that did Jack likes the most. When you had the test down and you just spread it from one side, stood on the star in two thousand against the Cowboys. Oh you know your mind right there? We travel Did you do it twice? Yeah? Did it twice? So we traveled the day before the game to go in.
Speaker 3: You know, you go through walkthroughs, you go through the plays before the day of the game, and you know for forty thirty forty minute workout, you know, just walk through the plays. And then so before we get back on the bus, well you know whatever grouping receivers running backs over.
Speaker 2: Everybody gets in the group, and we just happened to be in the middle of the start. We didn't. I didn't think anything of it. So my coach, like I said, he knew that I'm I'm one of the guys like the offense kind of goes through me, like if I go to, the offense goes So you know, this is a at a time like, Okay, I know I'm that guy, and.
Speaker 3: So I knew I was going to score, you know, at some point. And so you know the we was that Dallas, the Texas Stadium with the hole in the room. Yeah, at that time. And so you know obviously that the I guess the story behind the whole in the Yeah, no, it said it's in Dallas. Yeah, the hold in the rugs because God can look down on America's team. So he basically told me, hey, it.
Speaker 2: Was a round. I said. Everybody said that. The coaches know it, and everybody it's we we gott to be doubt as fucked the Cowboys from RS exactly. It's it's it's in the comferentce too. It's the end the CEA East. Yeah, you know what I mean. So he's like, yo, tomorrow, so look at Jack. I can't like that. So it's like, uh so it's like you know, he's like yo, tea.
Speaker 3: Showing who who you know, who God gonna be looking down on tomorrow, not just America's team, Like, hey, you want the gods child's kids too.
Speaker 2: So that's what I did. That's what it was. No disrespect towards.
Speaker 3: Them, you know, I'm just giving, Yeah, giving how much you know the guy that works me up every day that I brry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's what I did.
Speaker 3: So when you look at the actual clip, I went straight there.
Speaker 2: That's all I did. I did. I wasn't looking at them, no nothing, look greight up. I didn't know like that dude was burrowing down on him. And then he hit me. And then, like you know, people they exaggerate things. He knocked you.
Speaker 3: He closed like, bro, he with it will speed. And then even with that, bro, I've taken hits harder than that during the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so uh so, yeah I did it, you know what I mean? And then uh so after that, you know, my coach didn't say anything. Head coach didn't say anything about it, no nothing. This is why I don't really deal with coach Mary or she because he didn't even have my back even after this game. So I did it the second time that's when Emmy Smith, well Emmer Smith did it after I did it, and then the second time I did it. You know, it was obviously he got in retaliation because they couldn't stop me. So after that, you know, also go back the games that we won and then Mary she suspended me like that. During that week he he came and then they rupt you. He suspended me. The league didn't suspend me nothing. It was so media, so much media and hype. Like you said, it would have gone viral. It wasn't crazy, So the league didn't suspend me. He was so pressured from the outside that he felt like he needed to do so. It's almost like the hit on on on Travis with it with the guy that the the.
Speaker 2: Right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It was so much he talking about Henry Blackbirds like his coaches felt pressure. He would have suspending it. That's what my coach did to me. He didn't have to, but that let me know that he didn't have my back and our relationship it went.
Speaker 2: Down to drain after that popcorn.
Speaker 3: It was improper to I didn't I scored the touchdown and the dude was in the back of the end zone with the popcorn thing. So I just got it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I was hungry Jack, you know, I just said I was served. You know what I was just I was chat man, I was putting Yeah when you when you when I.
Speaker 3: Go to the movies, that's why excuse to eat popcorn, because it's entertainment. I realized at this point in time, like, Bro, I'm putting on a show. I mean, it's not only just me playing, and I'm I'm doing what I need to do for person goal, team goals. But I'm starting to realize now, like bro, people would come to see eighty one, you know. I mean then I started like it was on ESPN and like that and that, like what is he gonna do next? So I started to try to do things to kind of one up myself. So everything is not calculated, right, Like with that, it was just imprompt too, Like I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't propping back there yo, he persisting him back there with the popcorn.
Speaker 2: I'm like, let's get it yo in your sock though. That that was that was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that was that was it. Yeah, it was just impromptu. Bro.
Speaker 2: It's the feeling of going.
Speaker 5: To the game.
Speaker 2: You worry about what I would do because I know I'm a score when I get that.
Speaker 3: Then at that time going against a guy like showing spray like again, Ohio, sate me, you teach chat knew hm you.
Speaker 2: Look at that message like who's gonna get the best?
Speaker 6: Who?
Speaker 3: Like you know, it's it's the players to watch, you know, I mean for the week.
Speaker 2: So I figured he let me let me do what I do, you know, I mean, So that's what I did.
Speaker 3: I scored and then like I said, I signed the thing. Like I said, I just I didn't even think too much about it. It was like during right before the series, I asked the trainer, you know, for for sharpish and he was like he thought I was gonna mark out something.
Speaker 2: Give it back, y'all you're good. He didn't know.
Speaker 3: I just put it in my socking. In the next series, I go out you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cheerleaders.
Speaker 3: It was just spurred them on, you know, I mean head prompt too. I scored a drag dude into their zone.
Speaker 2: Yo, mad. So I'm like, I didn't have nothing plan. So I just saw those cheerleaders and I was like, hey, let me just get in on there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So again that's just that's just me like saying this just timmans you thought about doing but then reconsider nah man, like I did a number thing bro.
Speaker 3: Then, like I said, even with me starting to become so popular with the touchdown celebrations, then the NFL started to intervene, like telling us what we couldn't do and things of that nature like and then Chad on my my homie O Yo Sinko, he was in Cincinnati doing his thing, and then it was just like it became a competition. I didn't really know Chad at that time, so it became a competition like O who was gonna one up each other?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 3: But I just did it for creativity and at the same time, it was motivation for me to get into the end zone because I know if I'm doing what I'm doing and I'm scoring, we got we can win, you know what I mean. So that's that's how that's how, that's how I used my that added motivation. Like I said, we all are required to do something. The better our skill set, the better I you know, to help better personally and then as a player.
Speaker 2: But you know, for me, I just knew that I'm like Okay, if I get my hands on the ball, and.
Speaker 3: The more times I'm more involved and I'm in the end zone, it increases our chance of winning.
Speaker 2: With the NBA crack down on our pregame sh oh man, so bam, let me go and break it down for a lot of people that don't know game. So bam.
Speaker 5: So I just you know, having the incident I shot the strip club, I burnt out when y'all hit you know, by car and all that. So bam, I get suspended seven games soon as I get traded to Golden State.
Speaker 2: Okay, so my.
Speaker 5: Burnout teammate right here once come up with a handshake where I slap everybody, and when I get to him, I put my hands up, but he patted me down.
Speaker 6: But he certain we need this like two or three times, a stern call like hemn no wet even be doing Dallas playoff?
Speaker 2: Wow, but for more time. But it's good. He liking the worries to speak me anyway. Yeah, guy's had a bad name already. This got on the team, right.
Speaker 3: But if you think about it, the opposite of like, you know, you're not really doing anything wrong.
Speaker 2: Having fun. Yeah you was laughing at you mad the light of a bad situation. You know what I mean. Okay, you you came out of it, you know what I mean, because it.
Speaker 3: Could have been a part you didn't. You know what I mean. It's almost a point you wouldn't even be there to be doing that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: All right, quick hit this first thing to come to mind. Let us know, top five receivers in the NFL today, oh tonight, it would be a top five receiver. People played overt. I don't know, they got nice today.
Speaker 3: I would say, you gotta say, Jefferson, Uh, what's the guy in Cincinnati Bingles chased? Uh, Davante Adams Uh oh yeah, definitely Tyreek Hill and uh and I say, I'm gonna put my guy DK Metcalf in there. I'm yeah, yeah, that's yet yeah yeah, yeh prototype you know.
Speaker 4: What I mean.
Speaker 2: Which they were to get in the Jets Garrets Wilston. I mean it's early, you know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you look at the look at the play that he made the other night. If you think about they caught it, they could have easily lost that game. Yeah, we're gonna praise Zach Wilson for winning. And then obviously to walk off with is a kick return to pumper turn. But but again that was a difficult catch. He had to go across his body to make that happen. If you think about that's not an accurate throw. He made the quarterback look good in that.
Speaker 2: Situation, you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So to do that then gain control by control catch it, and they needed that, you know, based on the on the heels of what it transpired, Like said, with Aaron going down, you know and four plays in that that city needed that at that time. So again, like I said, Garrett, well he's on his way. But again you can't, like I say, you can't like great recognition. But it's like a lot of guys, even with Obj that's my guy, a lot of people like, yeah, he's progressively, like he was trending, yeah, to be one of those guys, but then injury's played it a little bit. So again, Mike Gavin, I mean, but again it's one of those he's quiet, one of those quiet guys.
Speaker 2: He's massing the numbers. Even Chris God went over there. He's good as well, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: But you think the guys are like really making noise you know what I mean, that's really standing out, that's trending.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the top ten. Who's that.
Speaker 3: There's Bryant I don't know, and the top ten I don't know if he's in the top top of.
Speaker 2: I have to see another top of. I have to see bro. There's a lot of receivers. But I didn't I mean, I mean, not this Brian. I said, this is Brian. I'm thinking, see lamb. Excuse me, oh city Lamb. He's on his way.
Speaker 3: He's trending. He's had the true JAC three is there?
Speaker 2: See hey?
Speaker 3: But again, my thing with those guys like to be a number one, you got to be a game change. You got to be a playmaker, not just a playmaker. You got to be a game changer. If you're not that for your team in that game changing situation these years that they've been on the cusp of making the playoffs, not making the playoffs, he has to be that guy when their running game wasn't where it was. You got to be that guy to change the game that they go to like yo, I can make a play, I can turn something into nothing. Granted he has the skill set and ability to do what he's doing. But do you see him as a game changer?
Speaker 2: Right? Type of player play? You get what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like I said, it's one thing to you know, talk about being a number one, but what is being number one receiver?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 3: Like you got to be that Like, yeah, you gotta be that dog, you know what I mean, like coach dialing up plays I want. I didn't know this until I started to become who I became with, you know, underneath behind Jerry, like they had a game plan, our regular game plan. They had game plans where they had Jerry plays where they know, like in certain situations down or we go un to him and this play.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: They started doing that for me. Bro when they got rid of him, for me to feel his shoes, Bro, I knew I was hour at that point. I knew You're right, Yep.
Speaker 2: It wasn't to say it. I'm him. I don't even want to say I'm here, But I was that guy, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Because like I said, I fill some shoes everybody for the number of years that he played there, and they again they drafted JJ to do what I eventually end up doing. But I learned a lot, not only from JJ and Jerry, But I learned a lot from everybody that came every receiver that came in there, because it was something special about him. That's what made me wanted, like, man, how can I get you know, look, this little will go to my game, get you know, get away the capability I had, I had the physical part. I had to add some of the finess part to the game. Then I just it just started just building every year. Then I started doing with the smaller guys. You making guys miss catching out on them. That's what made me me. You think all teams need to be playing on grass, I mean, they're they all have is their advantages and disadvantages. Of course, like I said, you know, for running backs or like say, receivers. We feel like sometimes playing on turf makes you faster, you know what I mean. But I understand the safety part of it as well. You know, turf doesn't give like grass, you know what I mean. So there are some injuries that probably not probably that would have been prevented had they been played on grass as opposed to the turf. So you know, like I said, it's.
Speaker 2: Up for players.
Speaker 3: Like I said, we can say what we want, voice opinion, what we need, but it's ultimately up to the league to do what they need to do to make Yeah, if you want to talk about player safety, just you know, all all across the board.
Speaker 2: Sound track Peel like three songs. Oh man, that's crazy. He sounds. Oh man, y'all throw we went on here, boy, songs are artists. You don't want artists, man, I like, uh, I like two chains like some of this stuff. Uh uh uh Tupac.
Speaker 4: And uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah Tupap. I mean I get throw Biggie in there too. Man. If you look at it, are you wrong? Yeah, you can't do wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any of those right there. If I can find the soundtrack in some of those songs.
Speaker 8: You know, with some of those artists to go with me, you know what I mean, if you could lake up with one QB with the big through your career, yeah, Joe Montanna, Like I said, just you look at.
Speaker 3: The production that Jerry Rice had with Joe. Look at his production that he had with Steve. It's it's crazy. I mean he didn't have a off off really in quarterback. One was right in and one was left handed. It was nice, you know what I mean, both of them lights, both of them Hall of famers.
Speaker 2: I seen what Randy did with T Brady, I would love to see. That's what I'm saying, Bro, exactly.
Speaker 3: Like again, I understand I had to tailor my game obviously to Jeff Garcia's game, our offense tailor to Jeff Garcia's game, because he wasn't those typical pro typical quarterbacks that.
Speaker 2: We were mentioning there weren't.
Speaker 3: He wasn't a stand in the pocket presence, big arm can make every throw from from either side of the field.
Speaker 2: But again, we made it work, you know what I mean. You know what I mean. I had to make it work, you know I mean.
Speaker 3: Because those are, like I said, all the quarterbacks, like I said that, you know, I know they probably wouldn't have the career.
Speaker 2: I know I wouldn't have the career that I had, you know what I mean. And I masked the numbers that I did without a quarterback. But equally they got to say too that they.
Speaker 3: You know, if they didn't have me, they weren't able to do you know the things.
Speaker 2: That they did. Is right. I've done a guess that are alive you plus five, I'm gonna go. I go.
Speaker 4: Uh Martin Luther King Uh Obama, I go Jordan's uh I go, I go Oprah and uh.
Speaker 3: I guess about like Warren Buffett, Warren Buffett, you know somebody you know that's that's monster. Yeah, but yeah, who would you like to see on all the smoke?
Speaker 2: But before you answer that question, you have to help us get your answer. Well, I ain't missed, I ain't, mister, right back right back to older smoke. Definitely a gimmick to it.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, wow, who would I like to hand on older schmokes?
Speaker 2: You can remember. You gotta help us so, but you know a lot of folks, Oh man, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: But the first person that came to my mind was MJ. But to get him in here in this seat, you know, I mean, you gotta got Kobe in here, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's it I did. I didn't text MJ.
Speaker 5: And any other text he can get to remind him that I text him to them on the show would be beneficial.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, no, I got a direct line. Yeah yeah, yeah, you know, just tell them to check them my message. Okay, man, I tell I gotta I got it. I got it the roll now, Well, T Man, we appreciate you best of luck with everything right. This was over long, overdue.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I appreciate it, man, Yeah, man, I didn't know if it was just gonna be about this, but I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's good man. I mean it came around.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't really know how I wanted to go about it, but I know I wanted to respond and I needed a platform where, like I said, nobody's not gonna judge me down and go cut up nothing, you know, I mean, so people can hear my voice.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. We just hope you know how it from me.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that's y'all. Boy though, I mean, that's that's y'all you want to that's but y'all got more. I didn't hung with you. Me and them ain't never hung out. Yeah, but I mean you asked me hung out.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. But I mean I just say, from a standpoint, and I'm the first one of this, I haven't been in my life come from disrespect, So I get what you're saying. But I just think at this point, but it's for me, bro, It's just like the damage has been done.
Speaker 3: Bro, Like, like people are now, like I said, from going forward, like I said, you're talking about gems, nothing to call you players coaches?
Speaker 2: Like what what does that mean? Like what do you imply? Like what is that supposed to me?
Speaker 3: But he's, like I said, millions of people are hearing him say this, like there are businesses, they're come there, they're hearing him say this right.
Speaker 2: He's yeah, he's messing, like going out his weight right to do it right. And then I want to add this to please. But the fact that he says, I don't have no money.
Speaker 3: I don't I'm broke, this and that and the other that that further makes me want to kick his ass because if I kick his ass, you ain't got nothing get. You're giving a song. Since I ain't got nothing, you ain't got nothing to get. So all the slick words that you know, I feel that he was you know how he would to come about it If that's the casion you want to senuate to America what you think you know about me? Like again, what you said about me? What you thought you said? You're gonna expose me for bro it's public knowledge.
Speaker 5: How about this man, y'all reach out to me and Matt let us give us the bag and we'll give them in the ring.
Speaker 2: Make sure they get a bag, and then they'll be over after that.
Speaker 3: And and I'm telling you right now, I'm signing up.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna. I'm signing. I'm signing. I'm signing up, Bro, I'm I'm signing. Ain't right here. We're promoting this fike right now. Already know I'm telling steven A not to sign up, Bro, already, I already know to yourself. But he's gonna try to take the high room and oh no, I'm using it unless we all see them go viral for his boxing. But I don't want to see. I know. I'm going around talking and like you, what you're saying this is going to keep that same energy, right, But you told it.
Speaker 3: You look into the camera talking about you this and you ain't scared of nobody. Bro, I'm not scared of nobody either. Promote, I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: And he took his glasses off. Hey man, that's around ko one of the greatest to ever do it. You catch us on show Time Basketball, YouTube and the Ihearted platform Black Effects. See y'all next week.