Speaker 1: Had me Saint Patrick's day, it's Brook and Jeffrey. Yeah, got a brand new episode for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's drunk?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean I wish that I could say that it was two Irish lassies on the phone.
Speaker 3: For your awkward Tuesday phone call today. But yeah, we really missed the market. Why did we think of that? Yeah, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: We do have an awkward, brand new awkward call coming up in a second. But first your comments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this one said. My fifth grade daughter came home today and said, did you hear the second.
Speaker 5: Date update today?
Speaker 4: She doesn't have a phone, but we do share a Spotify duo, so I asked her how in the world she heard it, and she told me she logged into her Spotify at school and listened to it. I can only assume it's because we listened to the red comments every day and she heard the one about someone listening in class.
Speaker 6: And then.
Speaker 4: Not very happy emoji you know in school?
Speaker 2: Yeah, to listen in school.
Speaker 1: I can't believe there's a school to that hasn't blocked us on Spotify yet.
Speaker 3: Good on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thank you for being here. A brand new episode starts right now.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of sentences that have the power to instantly ruin a friendship. Wow, yeah, I guess like I mean, your wedding was okay, it was my favorite nikes. Or your parents just told me I'm like the child they never had l Oh yeah, Or I think Aj is a way better Backstreet boy than Nick.
Speaker 2: Every Oh my god, how dare you well?
Speaker 5: One of our listeners admits he managed to ruin a long time friendship with one single sentence. He can't believe he said it, but he's willing to do anything to take it back. Oh goodness, even come on our show and risk nationwide humiliation. Can we save his failing friendship? We're gonna find out in a brand new awkward Tuesday phone call. Next, It's awkward. It's Tuesday. It's awkward Tuesday phone call. Have you ever said something while you were under the influence that came back to haunt you later?
Speaker 3: He it was, Hey, how you do it?
Speaker 5: As Brooke would say, what is duh? Yeah? The thing is, most of the time people will forgive you for your stupid, drunken words. But what if they were so bad they actually affected your friendships with people? Oh yeah, that could pose a problem. And it's why one of our listeners, Joey, has reached out for help today, very interested to hear about this. Joey, welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Oh Joey, were you? Were you the drunk one with dumb words?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 6: I didn't think I was too drunk. I thought, at most just a little tipsy. But yeah, definitely an awkward night.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, good to know that. It actually gets worse than what we're about to hear. And I don't know what was said or where you said it or who you said it too. So set the scene for us. We like what happened.
Speaker 6: Well, I was at a friend's birthday party last weekend, you know, at a bar, and there's probably like thirty people there. I knew most of them. It started going way past midnight.
Speaker 3: Okayy's having a good time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we shut the place down.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 6: I saw my good friend Vanessa there. We've never been involved with each other, I should say that up front, okay, And from from what I can remember, it was just a really good kind of heart to heart talk.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Yeah, when does the makeout start?
Speaker 6: No, No, nothing like that, just more of like a shoulder to lean on getting out of a bad breakup and just talking to her about it.
Speaker 5: Or a shoulder to balance on when you're losing it because you're so intoxicated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whose breakup was messy? Yours or hers?
Speaker 6: Hers?
Speaker 3: Hers? Okay, okay, so you I mean that's a good friend.
Speaker 6: Good. Yeah, she's been a good friend to me over the years too, And I remember thanking her for just being so consistent over the past few years. I remember being a nice conversation.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, but clearly you're reaching out to us because it wasn't.
Speaker 3: That nice or it sounds like somebody else remembers it differently.
Speaker 6: Maybe yea, yeah, apparently because I didn't think anything of it. And the next day I get a call from one of my buddies who tells me someone heard me talking to Vanessa and they heard me say that I had fantasized about her.
Speaker 1: WHOA, No, you not like I have a crush on you, Like I fantasize about you.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I started freaking out.
Speaker 3: Is there a way they could have misheard you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like they were the drunk one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I had hoped, because between us, it is true. But I can't believe that I would have said that, Oh.
Speaker 5: It's it's true. Yeah, okay, just going just go into like six or seven details about the fantasy so that we know.
Speaker 6: Uh no, oh, I think I'll pass on that one.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, you're no song.
Speaker 1: You gotta say, like, I don't know if this is true for Alexis, but for me, like if a guy said he fantasizes about me, it's like icky, it feels like it's crossed a boundary.
Speaker 3: Especially into him.
Speaker 4: It just makes it a little like borderline creepy.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, that's why I couldn't believe that I actually said that. So I texted her and I asked her if I actually said that.
Speaker 3: Oh, you just straight out asked her.
Speaker 5: I just asked her, you, wow, we didn't know if it was true.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, I figured if I couldn't remember, she would yeah. And what was her response, Well, she did remember, and she said yes that I did.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, hopefully you didn't go into detail, right.
Speaker 6: I didn't get that far. I just immediately started apologizing and she told me to just stop.
Speaker 5: Okay, so this it's not something that you actually wanted her to know. It just accidentally slipped out, and that was embarrassing.
Speaker 6: I feel terrible. Okay, one stupid comment. The friendship's ruined, and the.
Speaker 1: Time he couldn't be worse. Like, she just went through this terrible, messy breakup. The last thing she wants to do is deal with another guy. You know, like you were supposed to be her friend in that moment, and that was the opposite of what you were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I s I feel like I'm piling on and I didn't mean to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're a bad guy and you're keeping all your friends out. What's wrong with you?
Speaker 3: I get it. I get where he feels bad about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is your goal here? Just to salvage your friendship?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's one hundred percent. I'm not trying to have anything romantic. I just need help getting us back to the place we were before.
Speaker 2: That's actually good news, because you're never gonna get back to her romantic spot with her, But we could totally get a friendship back.
Speaker 5: Totally. It sounds super easy. Be like, I'm not attracted to you at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, why do we even need to give advice when Jeff's here with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that would be great.
Speaker 2: Just say psych and we'll hang up and it'll be all over with easy.
Speaker 6: I hope that's not your actual advice, because I really do I'm trying to joke.
Speaker 5: Geez, you're so picky about the advice that you want to get on this come begging but okay, okay, I'll think, So what are you trying to tell her?
Speaker 6: I just want to tell her I'm sorry and it was a stupid thing to say, and I was not in my right state of mind, and I want us to stay friends.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I guess that's why you need some backup support. We'll all be like, it's totally true. He has zero interest in you romantically. He just wants to be friends.
Speaker 2: What if Jeff and I outcreep her so much it makes you look good.
Speaker 6: That's an idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's not much of a challenge for me. And I did it in one sentence, like a couple of sentences ago. So it's really up to you, though. We'll come back. We'll give you a little bit of advice. Get a female perspective that would help brook, Yeah, the female in the room, if she could contribute, and then we will come back and let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call. Oh boy to your friend to be like, I am sorry for saying that I fantasized about you.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so weird.
Speaker 5: Just one time, though, it was only once, and never again. We're gonna do it with your awkward Tuesday phone call right after this.
Speaker 6: It's awkward.
Speaker 5: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 2: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 5: This is a great example of why word choice matters. Oh yeah, there's a difference between telling your friend years ago I had a crush on you versus years ago I had a fantasy about you. Those feel very different.
Speaker 2: It's funny because you could have a crush for a year and that's okay, But yeah, one fantasy for thirty seconds is like you.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it just hits way bicky and unfortunately for our listener, Joey, he said that second one drunkenly to his friend Vanessa, and I.
Speaker 3: Don't think he added the years ago that would make it better. Actually, yeah, better.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm assuming it wasn't that.
Speaker 6: Night, Joey, Right, No, not that night.
Speaker 5: No, oh, okay, maybe a week before. Thing is he doesn't even remember saying it to her, but it has been confirmed by multiple sources, including her. Yep, since someone else at that party overheard it and then word got around, so no surprise. Ever since, things between Joey and Vanessa have been very uncomfortable to say the least, and Joe needs our advice here on how to apologize and walk back what he said to reassure her It was just a dumb, drunken slip up and all he wants is to be your friend. So, ye Brook, what do you think Joe should do here?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: I think right now, Joe, we need to concentrate on what you didn't do.
Speaker 6: What didn't I do?
Speaker 3: Okay, what you.
Speaker 1: Didn't do is you didn't inappropriately make a move. You didn't pressure her to go out with you.
Speaker 3: You didn't try to.
Speaker 1: Kiss her like you respect her as a friend, you respect your boundaries, and you just made a really dumb, embarrassing statement.
Speaker 6: You're well said, You're right, I don't think I did any of those things.
Speaker 1: I would love it if you would have said I didn't.
Speaker 7: Yeh did?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You said you were tipsy. Yeah, but it's a good I doubt. Yeah, it is a good idea to be like, well, I could have kissed you, but I didn't do that. Who does good advice?
Speaker 6: Bro?
Speaker 5: Jose, what do you think.
Speaker 2: Well, we all had a group cringe when you just said the word fantasize, and I think you should try to use the word fantasize in other areas of your life.
Speaker 3: Will you try to normalize it?
Speaker 6: You like, for.
Speaker 2: Example, you say, hey, do you have any lunch plans? Because I've been fantasizing about this salad.
Speaker 3: It's just a verb you use all the time.
Speaker 2: I hate that.
Speaker 5: I love this advice, Joey, What do you think?
Speaker 6: If I'm being honest, I kind of feel like the more I use that word, the more it's just going to make her think about me saying it fantasizing.
Speaker 5: About that advice for like two songs, I might never use the word fantasize again. Okay, maybe that's a promise you can give to Vanessa if we're able to get her on the phone here. So I'm going to dial her number. You have that advice in your back pocket, But hopefully she picks up and we'll let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call. You feel ready?
Speaker 6: I think so?
Speaker 5: All right, Oh boy, We're here to back you up if you need us. But I'm dialing the number right now.
Speaker 6: Here we go, Hello, Hey, Vanessa, it's Joey. Oh, okay, what are you doing. I'm calling you because I don't want things to be awkward between us. I mean it is, though, and I don't even know if we should be talking right now. Listen, We've been friends a long time and it was a dumb thing to say. But it was just one dumb saying. It was just words. I didn't try to kiss you, I didn't do anything inappropriately. I didn't make a move or anything like that. It was just a dumb thing to say. And just by the way, I didn't do any of those things, right, Okay, No, no, thank god you didn't. Okay, Well, you don't have to go overboard about it. I mean that would have definitely crossed an even bigger line. Well are you hearing what I'm saying? I really feel bad about it. I mean I'm losing sleep over here. It's not good. Okay. Look, just really did not know what to say in that moment, and it really caught me off guard, especially because I just got out of a relationship. It just wasn't really something I was prepared to hear. I don't want to picture you picturing me that way, and you don't put yourself in my shoes here. I mean, I'm I'm trying to That's why I'm I'm trying to get things back to how they were and saying I'm sorry about saying such a dumb thing. I know, but not only did I just get out of relationship, but I mean, come on, we're also related.
Speaker 5: Why related?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's my stepsister.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, Im, that doesn't make it.
Speaker 3: It makes it okay.
Speaker 5: It's okay to fantasize about.
Speaker 1: Your steps and it really depends on when the parents got married.
Speaker 5: Oh, justify that, Vanessa.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Are you there?
Speaker 6: What is happening right now? I am so confused.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my co hosts are justifying why it's okay to fantasize about your step siblings. But what we're doing is called an awkward Tuesday phone call. Oh my god, it's really awkward.
Speaker 3: You know, you did not tell us that you were his stepsister.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: I didn't think that it was important to mention to you guys. You know, it's not like we lived together. She didn't become part of the family, so I was already out of the house.
Speaker 5: It would have been a good piece of information for us to have going into this call, No wonder she's weirded out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, that's a very important piece.
Speaker 1: But it also makes sense. Well, your parents are attracted to each other.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 5: You was the one standing up. You're from Idaho, so I really justified it a little.
Speaker 1: He was an adult when his dad or mom married the other person.
Speaker 5: I don't know, but.
Speaker 6: It's probably the most uncomfortable phone call I have ever had.
Speaker 1: My advice to him was almost like, why don't you pursue it?
Speaker 3: So now I'm wow.
Speaker 2: I mean I was really going back and forth on apology or.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, she still has that stance.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, Joey, Hey, I'm with Brooke. It's not that weird to just think it. It's weird to act on him maybe, but not to just think it.
Speaker 5: It's weird to talk about it too.
Speaker 1: No. No, I never had step siblings. But if I got a stepbrother as an adult, I mean, yeah.
Speaker 5: Look out. Okay, we need to get back to the problem at hand. The whole reason that we made this call, Vanessa is because Joey feels terrible about what he said. He does not believe that, right, joe Yes.
Speaker 6: I believed it once, but not anymore.
Speaker 5: Okay, he's not interested in you romantically in any way at this point in time, and he really shouldn't be.
Speaker 4: When he said that, I was kind of impressed a man said that on the phone.
Speaker 3: But now he said, it's a very.
Speaker 5: Low bar that we're trying to clear. Joey, talk to her, please, And.
Speaker 6: This is a huge thing to leave out. I just I didn't think it was an important detail. I thought the main thing was just trying to tell you that I'm sorry and I never should have said it and I will never say it again. Can you forgive me? I mean, yeah, Joey, like I, I forgive you, but you know, I'm not going to completely cut you out of my life or anything. I just I think I just need like a minute, a long minute to really process this whole situation.
Speaker 2: Brother is a different level of it. Yeah, So I totally get it's a process.
Speaker 1: I mean, if it was in my family, people would be making fun of you, Joey for like the next ten years.
Speaker 3: Of your life, maybe your whole life for those that gave me an on running joke in our family.
Speaker 6: For sure, that's true, you know, maybe something we'll laugh about in the future. Just treat this as a dumb saying that we said once.
Speaker 7: And well me, yes, find me that I said once, and then we could go get lunch together because I have been fantasizing about a salad.
Speaker 6: Oh it's funny, how you think it's kind of like still a joke. I don't know. Eventually, I'll probably be able to laugh about it in the long future. Maybe all right, yes, all right, well at least see you Christmas. I mean, yeah, I'm not going to miss Christmas. You can't wait to see you now, Okay.
Speaker 5: It sounds like you're gonna need to give her some space, Joey, and just let her process it and get over it on her own time.
Speaker 1: And I'd recommend no alcoholic beverages for you at any family functions in the future.
Speaker 6: Christmas. Yeah, that's probably a good idea.
Speaker 5: Great, okay, all right. I feel like this is a successful awkward Tuesday phone call that we've done, bringing.
Speaker 3: Family real together.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Oh my god, my sister's calling me right now. Should I answer? What do you think she wants to talk about?
Speaker 6: Why don't you fantasize about it?
Speaker 1: Reok and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 5: This is gonna be kind of crazy to say, but I think we may have actually helped.
Speaker 3: I think we did. Oh my god, they need they needed to talk.
Speaker 5: I know Enjoey was just going to keep digging himself a deeper and deeper hole if we didn't intervene.
Speaker 1: And honestly, if he would have told us it was his stepsister, would our producer have even picked his email as someone.
Speaker 3: To help you?
Speaker 5: I mean, our producer does love chaos.
Speaker 2: I do love no better help at the end of the day, was still like, I just need time and I'll hit you up late.
Speaker 5: Yes. That and also Brooke normalizing fantasies about family members. So thank you for that. Brook.
Speaker 3: They were adult when they got introduced to each other.
Speaker 5: I mean, come on, I have a few websites that you're gonna love. By the way, Brooke, that's how you think.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I never had step siblings, so but you wish you did. But you've watched clueless those Yeah, at the end, and it's the cutest ending.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect point.
Speaker 5: Weird at all?
Speaker 2: You need to hop on the step board.
Speaker 5: That's wrong with me. I'm just glad that we're all good now and they're just gonna take their time and let the relationship men naturally. But it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes you need us to jump in and intervene. And if that's where your life's at, email the show. We can help you with whatever awkward situation you're dealing with. Make sure to hit that follow subscribe button if you're listening to the podcast, like us, rate us, and comment something about your step sibling.
Speaker 3: Weird ass.
Speaker 5: Yeah,