Speaker 1: Here he is, Miles. Michaelis joining us right now. I don't even know how to introduce you anymore. RBI machine, Miles Michaels. We immediately were like, we need to talk to Miles about this.
Speaker 2: How you doing, man, I'm doing good. I'm really happy to see my man b Rad on the Yeah, oh yeah on the mic here.
Speaker 3: First time man, first time, Glad you're coming into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brad was there. Brad was there day one for me in the big leagues. It's one of my day one dudes.
Speaker 4: How was he? I miss Miles.
Speaker 1: It's Miles for also, happy ten years of service here. So this is a big week for you doing You're standing out this week. So, uh, you're going viral. And I actually mentioned the other day I was like, I remember interviewing Miles at Winter meetings whatever ten to eleven years ago when you were signing your first contract back here and yes, then joining up with Brad.
Speaker 4: So how crazy has the ride been?
Speaker 2: It's been I mean from twenty twelve San Diego, Texas, all the way to Japan and and back again. It's been a it's been a long and winding road, but it's been a fun one.
Speaker 5: It's been a good one.
Speaker 3: Hey, Miles, they're showing a picture of you that belt bunkle. What's the story behind that? Of course you don't want to watch you don't want the stuff. The guys usually gave what was what's up with the belt buccan?
Speaker 6: Again?
Speaker 2: I was so so Trevor Williams like as soon as like the season started, He's like, okay, like what do you want? We have a big conversation. He's like, what do you want? We want? You know, I've got all the fishing poles and stuff, and I think they have like something fishing related that that's kind of on the way for me.
Speaker 5: You know, I like the Western dress up stuff.
Speaker 2: I got a couple of horses down in Jupiter. My wife rides and stuff. But I might give it a shot when I'm when I'm retired. I thought, uh, you know, a belt bunk is good thing because, like to have a real bell buckle, you have to earn it. Like I was talking to one of the other guys at the clubhouse, Clayton Veeter from Texas, and they give you like, you know, you can go buy a belt buckle from a store, but you didn't really earn it, like you gotta you gotta get bucked off that Bronco or whatever. So I figured the only thing I could really do to earn a bell buckle is maybe get get my ten years. So, uh, that was that was kind of my idea. It'll look good, you know, in a case in the office. It'll look good on my belt when we go to Texas and we have our little you know, cowboy dress up.
Speaker 5: You know something I'm gonna cherish for a long time.
Speaker 7: I want to dive into you're at bat you had the other day. I know we were talking a little bit about it, but talk to us about that, what happened. Give us the whole backstory so all the fans can understand, you know, how this developed and what you did it took you. It's been a long time since you're had in that bat, So explain when the last time it.
Speaker 2: Was too Yeah, I think it's been a twenty twenty two. Whenever we pitchers, whenever we stopped hitting. That was my last at Batuh. I remember my last at bat was a good hard line drive to shortstop, like one ten off the bat or something like that, A real missile. But I hadn't hit in a while. And the you know, the coaches coming to me and they're like, hey man, you got to get your cleats on, Like this is not a joke, it's not a drill, like you might have to do something. Because they started the lefty there and then we you know, we had made all our switches, so we're we're getting thin on the bench and uh, you know, put your cleats on.
Speaker 5: You gotta go take in a bat.
Speaker 2: They said, if there's a guy on third base, we're gonna watch you to squeeze bunt or like safety squeeze.
Speaker 5: And I give the position players endless amounts of.
Speaker 2: Trash talking every time they don't get a bunt down because I think I got all my bunts down.
Speaker 5: Maybe not all.
Speaker 2: Good bunts, you know, maybe they throw the guy out at second base, but I get them all down. So when the position players don't get the bunts down, I give him tons of shit. So I knew I had to get this butt down. I was a little nervous. I impressed myself when I took ball one. I took ball one low. I was like, that's right, I'm seeing it. Well, I got this guy and then I bunted the next one. Found I was a little worried. I was like, oh, but then he you know, he put it right in my honey hole for bunting, that middle in pocket right there for bunting.
Speaker 5: Catch it off the label a little bit dead knit. It was a good bunt, Myles.
Speaker 3: You've always been the best athlete on every team. You let everybody know that too. But I just want to go back to getting to ten years, like, have you had a chance to take a second just kind of reflect on everything, like it's been kind of wild journey. I don't think people know you were a strict reliever along with meeting the Padre system and all of a sudden, now you've pitched how many years as a starter. That's just kind of a crazy talk about the journey through all of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got to give a shout out to Scott Richmond if he's out there listening. He was one of the starters in Round Rock when I was in Trip A with the Rangers and I had just thrown like two or three innings in like a Randolay restart, and they come up to me in Round Rock and they're like, hey, rich hurt his back. We need a spot starter. We'll give you like fifty pitches. So I went out there. I want to say I threw like fifty pitches. I went like four or five innings and they're like, hey, like, you know, it was the year everyone was hurting Texas. They didn't have a lot of depth even in TRIPAA, and I was on the roster as a reliever, and they're like, hey, we're gonna let you start if you want to, like, we'll build you up. We'll give you like fifty sixty seventy pitches. And I was like, yeah, absolutely, you know what reliever doesn't want to be a starter. So I jumped at the opportunity. And I haven't really been back in a bullpen since. It was one of those like weird baseball stories where if Scott Richmond doesn't.
Speaker 5: Hurt his back, I don't really know, you know, where my career goes. I don't know if I go to Japan.
Speaker 2: I like to him at It's it's just it's so hard to know the way the way life and the way baseball is what happens.
Speaker 5: But it's it's Uh, it was wild.
Speaker 2: And when I started in Texas, I you know, I had my ups and downs and I didn't really get a chance to really sink my teeth into until I went over to Tokyo, which was one of the main reasons I went there to to get a full chance at starting, because I knew that that's what they wanted me to do. So to get a full chance at like building up innings and like learning how to pitch as the starter again, Uh, was huge. And you know, came back to the States and just been grinding it out ever since.
Speaker 4: Yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 7: But I have to go back to this, this bunt Rbi that you got talk to me about the position players? What what did they say if they said anything to you about this? I mean, there's there's got to be some sort of conversation.
Speaker 5: Uh, the position players for us or the position players.
Speaker 2: On the on the Philly like when I was on the basis, because they were all kind of yeah at me when I was on the basis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go with the Phillies. And then your guys, why not tell them let's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, Well, I you know, I got on first base and I just said, you know, I was talking to the first base coach and I was talking to Bomb about just like not being on base. And then ariahs was laughing at me because I was sweating bullets. It was humid, but my heart was beating like out of my chest because I hadn't gotten that bat in forever. And the guy's throwing like ninety seven, ninety eight or whatever was relievers throw too hard nowadays. And then I was talking to I was talking to Turner on shortstop a little bit, and then I was telling Scott how I didn't love being on third base with the rity up.
Speaker 5: I'm like, this is the.
Speaker 2: Scariest thing I forgot how much I don't like it's your you know, you're getting your secondary And I'm like fifty sixty feet away from Japaro and he's swinging.
Speaker 5: For the moon, and I'm like, but I'm standing right here. You know, maybe he shoot something the other way.
Speaker 2: But the position players were just kind of in disbelief.
Speaker 5: They're like, they're like, wow, like, you know, good luck. They wanted me to swing. Some of the guys wanted me to swing. I had, I had the liberty to swing.
Speaker 2: If I got to two strikes, oh, I was gonna pull back and maybe slash. But because they started to pull the infield in but uh, you know, you know, deep down as a competitor. I just wanted to get that run across. You know, I wanna we're on a skid. I want to win that ball game. But everybody was pumped. I used uh, I used one of J wise bats. I just got like a pair of random batting gloves. And I used uh Pickney's helmet before he even got a chance to use it uh in a game, because he was making his debut. He hadn't even gotten that bat yet, and I had to steal his helmet from him. But I left my magic in there because then he hit a home run. His his first hit was a home run the next day, just like me, my first hit was a home run. So I'm pretty sure that it was, you know, some of my leftover mojo helping him do that.
Speaker 5: Maybe, but probably not, But I like to think that maybe.
Speaker 3: There you go, so you have a you have at least that piece of history of his career from now on. So uh, just knowing the competitor you are. What's been what's been the biggest struggle this year? And kind of is it? Is it just getting tough for getting older or is it just kind of what's been what's been going on so far?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's uh, you know, it'd be you know, it's cliche to say it's a young man's game these days, but I mean I'm looking up at the scoreboard and there's kids in the box that were like still in diapers when I was in high school, and I'm kind of like, oh, man, like, uh, I could technically be your dad, but not.
Speaker 5: So it's just kind of you know, guys are swinging.
Speaker 2: Hard at everything, and you know, it is it is tough for getting older. But I'm just, you know, i gotta be you know, I'm at that point where I need to nibble probably a little bit more.
Speaker 5: And I've never been one to like to be a nibbler.
Speaker 2: I'm stelling the duggout, yelling nibbler at the other guy when he walks somebody, and then I refuse to like walk people. So then I'm just throwing stuff in the zone and getting hit around a little bit every now and then. So you know, there's there's a lot of give and take there, and you know, it's it's it's it's trying to evolve and trying to get better mid season. But everybody, everybody, the coaching staff, the trainers, the the strength coaches here in d c Or are great.
Speaker 5: You know, they're helping me every step of the way. It's been Uh, it's been really fun to be here.
Speaker 2: It's been fun to be on such a young team, you know, with the young coaches, I feel energized a little bit.
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm getting younger every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some miles last one here we got. You know, trade deadline is kind of the hot topic right now. What what what are the Indians getting in Foster Griffin with that trade? Do you like, good move for them? Or you can play GM, you can play media here, you can play whatever you want. But just what you got on him moving over to Cleveland.
Speaker 2: No, I mean they're getting They're getting a great pitcher and a great teammate. He's the decent card player, you know, you know, solid golfer. But but jokes aside. I mean, the guys you know, he's he's polished. You know, he's got seven pitches. He locates, and I think the thing that's great about Foster is he knows exactly what he wants to do before he throws that first pitch. You know, I sit there in the locker and I I kind of you know, watch his his pre star meetings. I listened a little bit. I'm eaves dropping. I'm dropping a little bit.
Speaker 5: Of Eves there.
Speaker 2: You know, he's got his binder and he goes out there and he's calling. I believe he's calling most of the game himself with his little pitch com He just he knows exactly what he wants to do. He knows the guys that he's gonna run that cutter in, and you know, he knows his sequences, and it's fun to kind of pitch along with him. Like after watching him a couple starts, you watch him like, oh, you know, cut her in and he.
Speaker 5: Works a big sweeper.
Speaker 2: Then he'll go like that big fading change up to that little small split and then he'll sneak a heater by a guy and then he can speed him back up with that cutter.
Speaker 5: He just he knows exactly where to throw all his pitches. He knows how they work.
Speaker 2: And I think that's the reason he's been so successful coming back, because not only is he a new look, you know, he's essentially a rookie again because he's been in Japan for three years and teams are getting their first look at him, but he's all ready to pick He's he's ready to pick them apart because he knows exactly what he wants to do. And I think that's and I think he rubs off on a lot of the other pitchers on the staff because they see that preparation and they see how successful it is. So I think they're the Indies are getting a great They're getting a great pitcher, a great teammate, and maybe he've been like a little bit of a roll model for for some of their younger guys. If if they're paying attention to what he's.
Speaker 1: Doing, that that's an elite scouting report right there. Miles, thanks for joining us. Man, really appreciate the time. We love doing this. Hope you do too, and have fun, dude, and congrats Brad's first show.
Speaker 4: You got him.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is his first show, first show on FT, he does first f T show, So he's got it. He's got the chops.
Speaker 2: And a while, I've got a chance, while I've got Fraser's here. One of my favorite all time baseball plays is the foul ball in the stands the Mets with the foam, with the fake baseball. I see that highlight that's like my my top top five all time baseball play seven the most like Ruth like this is the best, this is the best. I'm watching My god, what a what a savvy bet.
Speaker 5: Just shows.
Speaker 2: The eve the most heads of play in baseball.
Speaker 4: Very fortuitous.
Speaker 1: That's how was we got lucky there, lucky and sneaky smooth, sneaky smooth.
Speaker 4: So thank you, Miles, good catching up man.
Speaker 5: All right, thanks for having me on. I'll talk to you guys.
Speaker 8: Letter Aos fans welcome in a special edition of Birdland Territory Steve, tim Brad and Chris Davis today as it's a big week in Birdland this weekend. Chris, along with Storm Davis and the late Scout Jim Russo, going to be inducted into the Orioles Hall of Fame. The big luncheon will be Friday the oriel Advocates and the ceremony on field ahead of the Orioles Phillies.
Speaker 9: Game Saturday night.
Speaker 8: Oriols dot com they get tickets for either the luncheon or the game or both, and we can't wait to see our friend Chris Davis in town this weekend.
Speaker 9: Chris, you know what a career you had in Birdland.
Speaker 8: Man, you were crush Davis for all those years, and the and the Oil fans couldn't wait to see it hit one out. We know there were struggles at the end, went through so much ups and downs. You know, when you think about this on or now and being back this weekend, what thoughts come to mind a little bit of relief?
Speaker 6: To be honest with you, I was super excited when when Bill called me. I was actually on the on the field on a softball field watching or coaching my uh my two youngest and and we all know Bill Steck is the Oils alumni guy, but we know him as the kind of the Hall of Fame guy too, So when he called.
Speaker 4: Me, I was like, is it my turn? Is it? Buck? Who's it gonna be? So, man, I was super excited.
Speaker 6: You know, obviously there were struggles at the end, But when I really think back to the first you know, five or six years there and the group of guys that we had, and just I think I said it to Oda yesterday, being a part of such a story franchise and being able to bring winning baseball to that franchise made a great deal. And to do it with uh with good dudes with good human beings.
Speaker 4: Man, it just it meant a lot to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chris Man, I think back to you know, coming over to Baltimore. I don't think I ever even told you this, but you were the one that helped really make me feel comfortable, just you know, spending times in the hot tubs and the cold tubs and stuff like that. When when you came over to Baltimore, was there anybody that kind of stood out to you that kind of helped you feel comfortable.
Speaker 5: Coming to a new organization.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I knew Wheedy.
Speaker 6: I played with Weeders in the high school All American Game, so like we we kind of knew each other. And by that time, I mean, I had spent parts of three years in the Big League, so I knew I knew of Mark Cakus.
Speaker 4: We all know Nikki.
Speaker 6: He doesn't talk a ton and he definitely doesn't talk between the lines. But I was familiar with some of the guys. I knew JJ a little bit. But but one of the things I think that helped me so much, Brad was having so many guys from the Rangers organization the next year, so, I mean, getting traded in the middle of the season's kind of it's kind of a weird deal because you get thrown right into the middle of the mix and you kind of have to find your way.
Speaker 4: And for me, I was trying to, you.
Speaker 6: Know, establish myself as an everyday player, so that was kind of at the forefront of my mind. But I think really the biggest thing that helped me was having Oday Tommy and I got traded with tom and two, so we kind of both went through that journey together. But it was just such a good group of guys, you know, this brad like it was. It was a lot of There were a lot of guys on that team that had been kind of cast excuse me, cast off. They had been you know, released, or signed, claimed off waivers or traded, and I think that really helped us kind of form an identity as a team and and helped us win.
Speaker 10: To be honest with you, Chris, you mentioned how special it was to bring winning back to Baltimore. You got traded in twenty eleven and twenty twelve, the team just had fourteen consecutive losing seasons to get back to the playoffs and win that first ever wildcard game against the Rangers. The Alds it was a madhouse against the Yankees. Just how special of a season was twenty twelve for you and the organization?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was huge.
Speaker 6: It was huge for me personally because it was the first time that I had really kind of come into my own. I think I led the team in home runs that year. I hit thirty home runs in the big leagues for the first time, which was a big deal to me. But I think the coolest thing to your point about all the play in game or whatever they call it, the Wildcard game, we had like seven or eight dudes from that Rangers team that went to the World Series the year before, or that was in that organization, and we beat them on their own.
Speaker 4: Field, and I thought that was so cool.
Speaker 6: I played right field because Nikki got hit by CC and message riss up. But I remember standing in the stadium in the ballpark in Arlington, which is where you know, I grew up watching Rangers games, and just be feeling so proud to be a part of such a like a story and a franchise that had such a rich history, that has so many Hall of famers, that had so many icons in the game of baseball. I remember standing in ruckfield and be like yes, like this is awesome, and it was just a good group of dudes. Man, can't I can't, you know, overemphasize that, Like, I can't. I can't emphasize that enough. Those guys were just like we were brothers. Brad, You're a part of it, man. Like we did stupid stuff like crab races for fantasy football picks and team dinners, and I mean we all had kids together and our wives were all close.
Speaker 4: It was just a it was just such a special group man.
Speaker 8: Chris Davis coming back to Baltimore this weekend for the Oriol Hall of Fame, The Oriol Advocates lunch and Friday on Field Ceremony Saturday Storm Davis no relation coming back part of the nineteen eighty three World Series champs. He had a big role when the Ools last wanted and Jim Russo, the late scout executive for the Oriols, came from Saint Louis when the team came in fifty four stayed for over thirty years. This guy signed Jim Palmer, Dave Johnson, the second Basement Boom pal many others, and was part of scouting the Dodgers for the sweep in sixty six. A lot of people credit Jim Russo for the advanced reports that helped the Orioles sweep the Dodgers. So, Chris, you mentioned that twenty twelve season twenty thirteen is I think maybe when Crush Davis was really born set single season records for the Orioles to this day that stand up. Fifty three homers, one hundred and thirty eight regbies, ninety six extra basits. I remember the start of the year. I've never seen a player of sixteen RBIs in four games to start the year as you did.
Speaker 9: Can you remember did it seemed like a beach ball to baseball at that time?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It did.
Speaker 6: And I remember getting seen. The game that I remember the most is the opening day game in Baltimore, and opening days always special. The stadium's always packed, and I mean, obviously I had a soft spot for game of yards and the fan base, but I remember seeing a stat I was sitting in the clubhouse before the game started that day and I had more RBIs than like a couple of teams combined, and I'm like, this is a good start to the season. And I think probably the thing that I remember the most, and I still get chills when I think about it. Is hitting the Grand Slam to put us ahead off of Tyler Robertson. And the reason why I remember it the most is I remember going around the bases and just hearing the crowds here and like really feeling the energy of the stadium for the first time. I got a little taste of that the year before in the playoffs when we played the Yankees, Tim and so.
Speaker 4: I knew what it could be.
Speaker 6: But I remember going back at looking at the video and Nate mccloth standing off their base, going back to the bag and had his hands on his head and he was saying.
Speaker 9: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: I thought it was hilarious. But we had a conversation after the game. He was like, do you realize, like how ridiculous this started. I was like, yeah, I'm really trying not to think about it. I'm really trying not to talk about it. I'm just trying to keep going. So it was definitely the hottest I've ever been to start a season, and I'm just glad that I had guys shared with many hit like ninety six or ninety eight doubles that year or fifty something, I don't remember. He had an insane amount of doubles, so he was always on base. Jonesy and I used to joke like many would get on second and Jones he would roll over and get him over and I just.
Speaker 4: Drive him in.
Speaker 6: So it wasn't just me. I mean, obviously was extremely hot, but man, I had a lot of guys. There was a lot of traffic on bases and on the bases, and it was it was just really cool to be a part of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously, I mean on the on field stuff speaks for itself.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable seasons.
Speaker 3: But I I want to give you a chance to kind of talk about the extremely generous gift you and Jill gave to the hospital there, and is there a backstory to it, and like your relationship with the hospitals and everything. I just want to give you a chance to kind of to talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 4: No, I appreciate that. Sorry, I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: There is so b rob Brian Roberts took me to the children's hospital for the first time.
Speaker 4: I can't even remember.
Speaker 6: What year it was, maybe twenty twelve, but I just remember him asking, Hey, do you want to go to the children's children's hospital. It's kind of something that you know is means a lot to me and Diana and I think it'd be cool for your experience, and so I said, yeah, for sure, and and so I went to the hospital, and I mean, if you've ever been in a in a an environment where kids are going through the things that they're going through and you get to be around them, it's it's hard not to be impacted by that, and it's it's really hard not to want to get involved in to try to help those people, especially when you start to talk to some of the parents and you start to understand understand some of the struggles that they're going through and just the time commitment that it takes for them to be there. So with Jill having a nursing background, it was an easy guess for us. And I think really the more we more time we spent there, the more we really wanted to get involved.
Speaker 4: We just didn't know what that looked like.
Speaker 6: And so I basically asked Steven Zen, Who's who's one of the doctors that will actually see this week when we go up there.
Speaker 4: I just asked him. I was like, what y'all's biggest need here? And he talked about the cath lab and asked how much he needed, and that's kind of where it went, you know.
Speaker 6: And and I didn't I didn't know at the time that it was going to be as big of a deal as it was because it wasn't about that. But it's something that that still means a lot to us. I mean, we still talk to him on a pretty regular basis and are still going to be involved, you know, for the rest of our lives.
Speaker 4: I'd love to see one of the other.
Speaker 6: Guys on the team now start to get involved because it is such a unique relationship. And so maybe that's a conversation I'll have with somebody when I go up there.
Speaker 4: It's awesome.
Speaker 10: That's that's awesome stuff, Chris, and and you know, a lot of the guys, especially of that era, really gave back to the city. And Chris, you've mentioned a multiple time. Tis now just how good of a group of guys it was. And you think of twenty twelve through sixteen, especially winning the most games in the American League, but it just seemed like you guys were having so much fun, right like with all the postgame pies and just all the Shenanigans going on, Like it just seemed like such a special blend of extremely talented players but also just really good dudes that I think this city really embraced because of that.
Speaker 4: No doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 6: That's probably one of the things that I hear the most about that group of guys from fans is that.
Speaker 4: They we we were relatable.
Speaker 6: They enjoyed coming to the field because we really they seem they seem we really seemed like we cared about each other because we did. I remember the pie celebration was awesome to me. Steve Pierce run that, by the way, I just want to I'm gonna I'm gonna throw him under the right now. Yeah, Jonesy busted his lip and then they were like, y'all can't have positivemore because we're like, he's a grown man.
Speaker 4: It's just a busted limb. Let us hour a part. But but it was just a good group.
Speaker 6: Of guys, Like I mean, seriously, we we hung out together off the field. After I pitched in Boston, I always wanted to go to a bullpen dinner and Brocky, you know bullpen dinner's about, but I was never invited because I wasn't a part of the bullpen. And I remember after I pitched in Boston, I told Jim Johnson on the flat back home, I said, Hey, I'm going to bullpen dinner now, dude. And so I went to He's like, you're good, You're good, you go to bulk. So we went out to UH.
Speaker 4: We went.
Speaker 6: I went out to a bullpen dinner UH in Anaheim and we had a great time. And I'm like, we should always do we should do this like it's funny because position players don't hang out as much as pitchers do. And so for a while, oday Odaiy and I were obviously really close. We I was like the only position player that would hang out with the pitchers. But we just had a good group of guys that enjoyed being around each other. We wore each other out, we gave each other a hard time, but we really cared about each other. And I think that really gives you a good on field product because you have that chemistry when when things get tough. Man, we had some rough stretches, but I think knowing that we had each other's back and knowing that we cared about each other helped us to get out of those rough stretches.
Speaker 4: Well, Chris, you bring up the.
Speaker 10: Relief appearance that you had in Boston, which is insane two innings like now that's out the window with this new extra innings for man and the only time you see position players, it's the team's getting killed one way or another. Just what was it like getting that, you know, Buck coming up to you just experience, like did you go in with a lot of confidence that you could you know, come through.
Speaker 4: There, like absolutely not.
Speaker 6: I'm pissed in six years and I wasn't that good when I pused in Collars Man, So I always said, you know, coming up for some teams that looked at me, I think out of high school and out of college as a picture.
Speaker 4: But I was our thrower.
Speaker 6: But I'm thankful that I had Skip Johnson as a college coach because he's one of the best pitching coaches in the country. And I was literally like, okay, keep your front side closed, like don't fly out, like trying, and I'm doing it. I think the fact that I'm so naive at times really played into my favor because I was I remember warming up in the bullpen and Bill Castro was our bullpen coach. And he's like, all right, what do you got? And my ball, naturally, I think just from my arm slot has a has a little sink. That's probably why I didn't stay at third base very long. And Bill Castro was like okay, and then I threw a slaughter and he's like, no, that's not gonna work. Well that's you got, And I was like, I threw a split because I can't throw a change up and he's like, and I threw it.
Speaker 4: He's like, okay, go get him, kid, and I'm like, that's it. Like, there's no it was. It was fun. Looking back on it, I realized how crazy it was. I don't think I think having such a bad day at the plate. I was just kind of pissed off, you know.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, well, if you know, if it's I'm either going to be the complete goat or I'm something great is gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Uh. And thankfully Jonesy cut.
Speaker 6: That ball off in the outfield and made an unbelievable play to throw.
Speaker 4: It to JJ, and JJ threw through to weeding.
Speaker 6: We got Marlon Bird out at home or else, I'm we would have never had the designatory truth. It's crazy, man, I will say this, it gave me a greater appreciation for being in the center of the diamond with nobody else around you.
Speaker 4: I'm like, this is a very very lonely place.
Speaker 6: At least when you're in the batter's box you got a couple of people there. But man, you are in the center of the diamond and you're holding the ball, so it's like everybody's watching you.
Speaker 4: But it was fun.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: I give Buck a lot of credit for making that call because that really changed our season.
Speaker 4: I mean, we had we we won that series, we won.
Speaker 6: The next series, and we kind of started rolling and so that was a that was a big game for us to win.
Speaker 4: But man, it was crazy.
Speaker 8: Spend some more time with Chris Davis, who's headed to the Oriol Hall of Fame this weekend along with Storm Davis and Jim Russo, and you can get tickets for Friday's luncheon or Saturday's game in ceremony. Go to oriols dot com. The Oil Advocates.
Speaker 9: Put on a great luncheon every year for the Hall of Famers, and this money will be special Saturday. A lot of your teammates are coming back.
Speaker 4: Chris, you noted a few.
Speaker 9: I think Brad's going to be in town and some of those guys.
Speaker 8: And so let's go back to when you were traded to the Orioles from the Rangers in Trade Deadline twenty eleven. You and Tommy Hunter. You're good buddy for Koji Yuhara. Some people remember that trade worked out for you well for in Birdland. You've told the story before that the two of you had different reactions to that trade.
Speaker 5: Is that correct?
Speaker 6: That is that is we were in two different places, and Tommy had started a World Series game the year before, and I thought was very much in the mix for the Rangers, who ended up going back to the World Series again. Here in twenty ten, I was on the taxi squad, which basically means I was suiting up to sit there and watch the game, but I wasn't available unless somebody got hurt or something like that happened. So I was grateful to be there and to get to experience that environment, but it was really hard to sit there and watch the team that you had been with for the last couple of years that you had had some success with go out and compete in the World Series and not get a chance to be a part of that, so I was ready to get out of there. I think just being a part of that organization. And I'm extremely grateful to the Texas Rangers for drafting me and giving me the opportunity to play.
Speaker 4: In the big leagues.
Speaker 6: But I think the fact that the farm system was so loaded and that there were so many guys there was kind of a log jam at first base, and so I was ready to get out of there. I was willing to do anything, play the outfield, play third base base. Signed Beltrade the off season of twenty ten going into twenty eleven season, so there wasn't really a place for me.
Speaker 4: So I was fired up when I got traded. We were in Toronto, I'll never forget.
Speaker 6: I was sitting to my hotel room and Scott Boris called me and was like, you got traded, and I was like, where.
Speaker 4: Am I going? And before we knew it.
Speaker 6: Was BALTI before I knew it was Baltimore, it was either San Diego or Baltimore, and San Diego had shown interest in spring training for potentially I think it was heat Bell was their closer. The Rangers were trying to get it back in Bullpiece, and so I really thought it was gonna be San Diego.
Speaker 4: And he said, you're going to Baltimore and I was like Baltimore And he's like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they traded you. They traded for you and Tommy for Coach u Are And I was like, man, Coachy is an all star, like he's there, and I'm like, okay, who's in Baltimore? Buck Kirby, I'm like, okay, I know Weedy And I'm like, sweet, I'm gonna get a chance to play, Like I'm gonna get a chance to play every day.
Speaker 4: And so I was super fired up. I think Tommy.
Speaker 6: Was was discouraged because I think he was kind of blindsided by it. But but yeah, I mean it worked out really well for both of us because Tommy was coming. God, I think he had gotten injured and they put him in the bullpen, but he didn't really have a specific role, and he was huge for us out of the bullpen in Baltimore, as you guys know.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I was fired up. Man. I just wanted to play baseball.
Speaker 6: And I didn't know a ton about the Orils organization other than Cal and Brady and you know the nostalgia of Camden Yards.
Speaker 4: But but I was.
Speaker 6: I was just so fired up when I got up there, and I'm thankful that we won. Uh if y'all remember to kind of close out the twenty eleven season and then and then start up continue to win for the next few years.
Speaker 4: So I was just I was just super excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chris, was there anything like when you came over to Baltimore? Was it just was it just the fact of getting a shot to play every day? Or was it a certain coach or was it just like what was the what helped you become the player you?
Speaker 4: You obviously were in Texas.
Speaker 3: It just didn't happen there, But like what caused that to kind of just kind of you know, happened when you got to Baltimore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was a number of things.
Speaker 6: I think getting away from home, Like I grew up in East Texas, I grew up a Rangers fan. There, there was a lot of pressure that I put on myself. But I also had a ton of family and friends that were always there and I'm thankful for them. But it just, as you know, it adds another dynamic and it has another element to kind of an already stress the situation, and you just you have to get baseball your your whole life when you're in it to be able to compete at that level. So I think really getting out of a place where everybody knew me as a certain player and getting a chance to restart with a new fan base and a new new team was just refreshing for me. The other thing was Buck Show. Walter Buckets is gonna I'm gonna give Buck a lot of credit. I sat down with Buck and was very honest and I said, look, this is this is where I'm at. I'm out options, so you can't send me down, you know, but I want the chance to play every day. And he told me, he straight up said you're gonna get the chance, but it's not an open ended ticket. He's like, you're gonna have to prove that you can play here and he goes, and I think you can. And having Kirby there too was big deal because Kirby knew me. We had history. He was the field.
Speaker 4: Coordinator, the Roman field coordinator for the Rangers.
Speaker 6: When I was there, So having some familiar faces and knowing that I was going to get an opportunity to play was really big, and thankfully I was able to capitalize on the opportunity, and I think also being able to play different positions and being willing to do that helped me out a bunch because I kind of moved around a lot in twenty twelve. But it was, yeah, I mean, just to change the scenery. Man, it's huge, It really is.
Speaker 10: Chris, what was it like just being a part of lineups that just absolutely mashed? I mean, you guys led the majors and home runs for multiple years. It was what Nelson, you Trumbo leading the majors and home runs? Like there really was no soft spot in that mineup.
Speaker 4: No, there wasn't. It was awesome.
Speaker 6: I've got a good buddy who pitched for the Indians for a long time, Cody Allen, and he made his debut against us in Cleveland and he was like, dude, it's like y'all were rolling out guys that were six three, six' five six. Six he was, like your second basement was six' Four and i'm like talking about scope, and yeah yeah we had some Big boos and, he's like y'all looked like a bunch of, professional.
Speaker 4: Wrestlers, and yeah. We did it, was, Fun man like we we had such a unique Lineup because we had Guys like jonesy who could steal, A base nate who could steal. A base nick he could run every now and then if you. Wanted to we had guys that would get. On base nick was so big.
Speaker 6: For our lineup at the top of, the lineup and he was big for me because he was another left. Handed BAT so i would kind of that's kind OF HOW i, i gauged, you KNOW how i was going to attack a picture based off of how they Would. Attack nick and so it was huge for me to have a left hander at the top of. The lineup but then you had Guys, Like, Manny jonesy weedy hit. Behind me like there was protection all throughout. The lineup and to, your point there were. No breaks anybody in that lineup at any time could take. You deep AND so i think it put a lot of pressure on opposing pitching staffs because there was there was no you didn't get a, batter off and so it.
Speaker 4: Was funny we we. Always joked bu would.
Speaker 6: Always say, you know we don't have to live and die by the three run, home Run and, i'm like it kind of works.
Speaker 4: For Us so i'm Not gonna i'm not gonna stop them at.
Speaker 6: Home runs but it was just such a good team and and defensively we were. REALLY good i STILL have i think it's up here behind me the uh we hold the single season fielding percentage record for. A team but it WAS just, i mean, You guys many's still.
Speaker 4: Doing IT. Uh jj there were bow gloves all over.
Speaker 6: The field it was just a unique group, of guys man AND and i think one of the things that really made it.
Speaker 4: Special is there were.
Speaker 6: No superstars like you could Argue that jonesy was a superstar because he was under contract and, he was, you know The Perennial, all star but he didn't act like a superstar like we were just we were. Baseball PLAYERS and i think that that made it a lot easier for everybody to go out and do their job because nobody cared who got the credit as long as we won.
Speaker 4: Baseball games.
Speaker 9: It was a special Time.
Speaker 8: In birdland and your, Guys group Brad and cress and and the guys you've set you noted today will never be forgotten in this town because you took them from losers to Winners to.
Speaker 9: October baseball you guys drinks around us.
Speaker 8: For the rest of your Days in bergland for what you guys. Did, now chris you noted in twenty three when you came Back for Adam jones, jersey retirement you aren't sure how the reception was, gonna go and it went great because the fans more remembered the good times than.
Speaker 9: The ending how do you sort all that out now when your mind.
Speaker 8: What happened at, The end and is it just an anecdote you just flush it away or is it part of a?
Speaker 9: Bigger, resume yeah.
Speaker 6: IT'S definitely i definitely don't flush it away because it really helps me appreciate the. Earlier YEARS and i think it also kind of helps me stay grounded because.
Speaker 4: The struggle was it was, so PROLONGED and i think people ask me all the time. WHAT happened i continue to try to PLAY when i.
Speaker 6: Shouldn't HAVE and i, always thought, you know your best tool, is availability and so THERE were i was.
Speaker 4: In a lot.
Speaker 6: Of pain certain things had kind of started, popping Up and, i'm, LIKE man i can't do THAT like i, used TO and i didn't, know why and brock you, Know THIS like i was always, A WORKER like i, Always thought i'll just work my way out. Of it i'll just work, Out harder i'll just, Hit more I'll just i'll just. Keep going and that's not a good good recipe for success. For anybody there are times when you need to take a break and you need to address, certain things especially if physically your body's. Breaking down and there's no shame. In that but, for me it was. REALLY hard i FELT like i owed it to the fans to at least be, out there EVEN though i wasn't capable of DOING what i really wanted TO and i wasn't. Sure why but for me, like that that makes the journey that much sweeter because it really helps me appreciate those years that we were when it was tough to go in there, every day when we were and we weren't trying, to win, YOU know i think IT was i didn't know really how to go. ABOUT it a lot OF times i really leaned into my role as as kind of the veteran guy in the clubhouse and tried to teach, the guys the, younger guys this is the way that we, do things this is why.
Speaker 4: We do things.
Speaker 6: This way but it was hard to go from from such a, you know several years of success so much success to just failure day in and, day out and and for me to experience.
Speaker 4: That and kind of go through that with, the fans the fans being a.
Speaker 6: Huge deal, to ME and i know every, player feels, you know a certain way about, fan bases BUT but, I mean i Was in bultimore for, a DECADE so i know a lot. OF fans i know a lot of, Fans Personally like i've got a couple of them that that texts Me that I'm that i'm, you know. Friends with so it was hard for me to go through THAT because i FELT like i was really letting. Everybody down BUT when i came Back for, JONESY'S thing.
Speaker 4: I didn't i didn't know what. To EXPECT so, i mean. They didn't they Did what. Birdland.
Speaker 6: Does man they stood up for their guys and they welcomed. Me back and one of the THINGS that i want to be sure, TO mention i was standing on the ondeck circle before we walked out on the field To, honor adam and one of the season ticket HOLDERS who I know i've seen in spring training leaned down, and, Said, hey CRUSH and i turned around and, he, said, hey man don't ever forget how much we loved you and how much.
Speaker 4: We rooted for you.
Speaker 6: Those years he's Like that you'll always Be crushed davis to us and saying for him to say that to me in, THAT moment i, was like it's hard not to, get emotional, you know because you.
Speaker 4: Think about all the times when you got booed.
Speaker 6: Or whatever but it really it meant a lot, to me and it meant it really showed me how much.
Speaker 4: They care so it was it was a special moment. For, sure yeah.
Speaker 3: IT'S awesome i just Kind of i'm sure you've had time to reflect, on everything and with the weekend, coming up what would you say you're most proud of your Time. In baltimore is there one? Particular thing is there a multitude? Of things is there anything you can kind of put. INTO words i know it's probably tough when you're trying to yah with something, to.
Speaker 4: SAY but i thought, about THAT and i really appreciate you. Asking that. It's hard it's hard because there are so.
Speaker 6: Many, things honestly the THING that i keep coming back to is the people man like, you guys, My Teammates like i'm so THANKFUL that i had such a good group of people to share. It WITH and i think about the people at the stadium that took care of our wives while we were out. There playing, at me you were a part, of, it dude you were a big part. Of it we all had like we were kind of all on the same spot in. Our life we're, all young we were, all married we were started having, kids together like we were trying to establish ourselves as big leaguers and just figure. It OUT and i think that's really what what to me stands out. The MOST that i loved being a part of the City. OF baltimore i had no CLUE what i was getting INTO when i. WAS traded i had Not like i've Been to baltimore maybe a handful of times as an opposing player and didn't venture out like went to the stadium and went back to. The hotel so getting to do things like the charity home run derby that we did For The, children's Hospital Doing, casey Cares Doing christian, youth athletics getting outside of the CITY and, i mean, excuse me outside of the stadium and getting into. The city that's REALLY what i remember. The MOST and i think that's kind of what stuck. With me the baseball is, the baseball.
Speaker 4: YOU know, i mean hitting home runs, is great but being able to kind of rub shoulders with people that you might not rub shoulders with if you didn't do what, you did and be a part of something outside of the game and feel like you're really a part of, the city to me is kind of what lasted the most to. This day that's still my. FAVORITE house i wish we haven't sold, that house but, BUT yeah i think that's probably the THING that i remember the most is just, the, people man the relationships that. You make, You, KNOW.
Speaker 10: Chris i did want to go back to, the END and i, just think, you know you at the top of. The game you're one of the most feared hitters of, all time and you get, the CONTRACT and i think fans and sometimes people falling the mistake of viewing players almost, as robots, like, oh well, you know he's getting a. Big contract was it was. A matter but you're an ultimate competitor to make. The majors you're an ultimate competitor to reach the heights that you did in. Your career what was it like from a mental standpoint going through at, The end it.
Speaker 6: WAS tough i remember, hearing THAT and i got off social media years AGO because i just didn't want to hear.
Speaker 4: THE noise i had enough to focus on without having to deal with.
Speaker 6: All THAT and i remember, hearing, that well, Who cares he's, still Rich and, i'm like that's, you guys think that's what drives us like you if you're if you are a rookie in the, big leagues you're making over half a. Million dollars like the money IS is i call it. Monopoly money it's billionaires. Paying millionaires it's it's that's not what. It's about and and so to, Your, point tim when you're so competitive and you're not able, to compete and you were able to compete at a very high level for, several years it is. SO frustrating, I Mean i i've told this story to a handful, of PEOPLE but i remember one of the nights we WERE in DC and i took my hat OFF and i was.
Speaker 4: Stressed out it was it was towards the end of the twenty. NINETEEN season i was.
Speaker 6: Stressed out jill and the girls were, back HOME so I was i Was in baltimore, by MYSELF and i took my hat off on the DUGOUT and i looked down and my hair was in, my hat like my hair was.
Speaker 4: Going on like that's how.
Speaker 6: Stressed out and aside from THINKING that i was going bald in the middle of a big, League game, i'm like WHAT do?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 6: You KNOW and i just, felt LOST man I and i didn't know what, to do AND and i should have. REACHED out i really should have reached out to some people. Around ME but i don't KNOW if i, was EMBARRASSED if i was. TOO proud i JUST thought i could figure it out.
Speaker 4: On, my own AND AND i i wasn't ever. Able to.
Speaker 6: What's really frustrating is going into the twenty, TWENTY season i FELT like i had had found had kind of found, it again Me and Manny and Scope and selway's joke like in the, batting cage like if you, find it leave it in there for the. Next guy AND so i remember texting Or TELLING scope i. FOUND it i, found it, you know and, he's, like oh leave it, for me leave it. For ME but i was going into spring TRAINING and I was i was, crushed again, YOU know.
Speaker 4: I was i was hammering.
Speaker 6: THE ball i felt so good at the, PLATE physically i Had gotten i'd kind of put a little bit of weight, Back on i'd gotten. Stronger again And then i'm getting ready to Go To fort myers in the world shuts down And so i'm. Like no and then we started back up Again in august and it just wasn't.
Speaker 4: The same by, that time my knee had been.
Speaker 6: Bothering me it was just so FRUSTRATING because i really wanted that one last chance to PROVE that i was worth the money that they spent.
Speaker 4: On me and so that's.
Speaker 6: It's hard but at the end of, the, day man there's no blueprint, for this. You know THAT'S why i think it's so incredible Guys like kershaw that that can.
Speaker 4: Go out on their. Own terms it's, so, Hard man it is just. So.
Speaker 9: Hard man what Great, stuff chris, You Know and I've told.
Speaker 8: Brad this one of the great things is the media guy of that ERA is i knew there are good guys In that it's uniforms winning Games.
Speaker 9: For birdland and if it was a, TOUGH time i KNEW and.
Speaker 8: I walked, in there you guys would be at your locker to answer whatever. We had you never, ducked, it, good bad. Or indifferent and we saw that in this, show, today man you are very honest with you. Your thoughts we can't wait To see birdland honor you again Along With storm davis and along with The Late jim russo And Lets your mind the. Fans again tickets are available orioles dot com slash tickets Both for friday's Lunch and saturday's game and ceremony.
Speaker 9: On field tommy going to be introducing you is he's so as funny as?
Speaker 4: He was, OH yeah i. CANNOT well i talked to him YESTERDAY and i, was, like hey are? You Ready and i'm not going to tell you how, he responded.
Speaker 6: Because it's just we, Meet him BUT but, I went, I mean, I said i told. HIM yesterday, i said whether you like it, Or, not bud we're in this. Thing TOGETHER and i told him that from, day one like we got. Traded Together and TOMMY and i talked more than than probably of my, other teammates. More CONSISTENTLY but i cannot wait to hear what he has to say at.
Speaker 4: The launch he was, never dull that is for.
Speaker 9: Darn sure got trade worked out great for you two.
Speaker 8: And many And, all, Birdland buddy because twenty twelve through, twenty sixteen, three playoffs most wins in, The league buck And. The boys it, Was. Special chris thanks for sharing that look safe Travels to birdland and we will.
Speaker 9: See you this weekend At the Hall of.
Speaker 4: Fame ceremony. That's good thanks guys for having me on