Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Let's take a little bit of a detour right now, because two prominent names in sports and business have joined forces to tackle one of the fastest growing health costs. JLP once the former CEO of X. Her name is Linda Yakarino. She has teamed up with NFL legend Tom Brady Cradio to build EMAN. I know right we're sitting right here, but let me just tell you what EMED is. It's a platform dedicated to helping employers managed costs associated with weight loss drugs. Linda serves a CEO. Tom is a co owner and chief wellness officer. And I am just delighted that they're both sitting to my right. Thank you guys for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having us. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a little bit about how this all came together, and I'll start with both of you individually, And Linda, I'll start with you because you took the helm of EMED after spending two years as the CEO of X formerly known as Twitter, and I would just love to hear about you know how that happened. What sort of translates from social media into you know running a telehealth company.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. It's a great question. And when I look back on my career, which will I think logically explain how I landed at EMED. You could probably market by one or two words and it would be transformation led by technology, transformation and innovation. Right, So, throughout my career, whether I was at NBCU for so long, one of the outputs of that was launching Peacock to then go to Twitter and then X and creating the global town Square. It made sense once I decided to leave X, what should I do next? And about six months prior to leaving X, I became a chair of the board of emed's director Consumer Business in England, the number one female focus GLP one business. And why it all came together is because what I learned and was so impacted by the profound nature of the power of these GLP one medications, and I certainly knew that access needed to happen for people. Particularly in the United States, sixty percent of people get their benefits from their employer and only one in five employers cover GLP ones right now. So once I was really thinking and considering what to do tackling transformation and healthcare to give people access to these life changing medications was an easy answer.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about the Tom Brady of it all, because that certainly makes sense. You know, transforming, transforming, and it's now transforming emed. But Tom, how did you get involved with EMAED and who called who?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: I've been involved in health and once for a long time. I think as an athlete, I realized that my body was my asset, so I had to take good care of it, and every day I had to put the right foods in my body. I had to have the right hydration, the right workouts, the right training in order for me to go out there and accomplish my job to the best of my ability. I started a health and wellness business in twenty thirteen based around all the things that I knew and that I desired. I wanted other people to understand about how to keep their bodies and how they can stay active for a long period of time. But I also realized there's a lot of discipline that comes to making those daily decisions that allow you to be healthy, and a lot of times they couldn't take on this kind of Navy seal type training that I did as an athlete because that we can, yeah, and he can. We spend hours in our day and we have great resources to be able to do that. So what I realized with health and wellness in my post retirement was a lot of times you have to meet people where they're at and you have to kickstart people's journey. And partnering with Linda and our friend Michael Fair, who founded the company has become a great friend of mine down in Miami. I think we can really help a lot of people. And like I said, to get people on the right program with the right individuals that's really tailored to them, they can start to begin to see some great health improvements in their life.
Speaker 1: But I'm sure you have to sort of recognize the potential criticism that somebody like you a world athlete. I don't think anyone I ever seen you out of shape, and yet you know you're pitching a GLP one alternative for some folks, And I understand the need, But why listen to Tom Brady? Why not listen to I think you.
Speaker 4: Should listen to your healthcare professionals who you should listen to. That's the most important thing that I think for me, the ability to promote things that I really strongly believe in. And again, it's really about being proactive about your health. And one thing I realized, I was able to achieve great things in my life and my career because I was very proactive. I didn't wait to get injured. I didn't wait to get sick. I tried to stay ahead of those things. I never wanted to be injured. If I was injured, I missed the game. I couldn't do what I love to do. So now that I get to go out there do what I love to do in this next part of my life, which is try to help other people, give them the best information possible so that they can make the right decision for themselves.
Speaker 3: I think it's really important to point out. It's why Tom Brady of it all in the order for you, Yeah, the importance is that you have to qualify to get on the EMED program, take a blood test, you have to qualify through a variety of biomarkers that we check, and we want to make sure that you're one of those people that want to take control of your own health and take advantage of the unbelievable incremental nature of what these GLP one medications do. So tackle chronic diseases in their tracks. So it's not like other companies where you can just fill out a form and get a prescription. No, you stay with.
Speaker 1: Us, so you're working with the employer. This is basically a flat fee model more or less here, Yes, is there any concern going forward as the cost of GLP one prescriptions goes down, oral medications come on as that cost compresses, does that affect your fee model?
Speaker 3: And any One's actually so exciting because we're finally at a point where we have EMED delivers access to so many people that it's been out of reach because of the cost. So we have this health intervention of a lifetime moment. So there's a health solution for so many chronic diseases. And now we have a cost for employers because now it's affordable for them to cover it. And that's exactly where EMED sits at the intersector.
Speaker 1: Are you going to do secondary markets? I mean, can you have a partnership I believe with CBS or.
Speaker 3: Yes, we have a partnership with CBS, a strategic investor like AON. So imagine these gold standard companies coming together like minded got woven together to break the cost curve and impact population health. What a good seat to be sitting in.
Speaker 2: I do want to talk a little bit about how the introduction of JLPE pills has potentially changed anything when you think about how willing employers are to cover some of these medications. It's only been a couple of months, but are you seeing any sort of impact there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're seeing an expansion of the total addressable market. It's really interesting data. But unprecedented adoption of the oral pills from the early data that's coming out. And also important to note one of the biggest adopters or segments or men because they have hesitancy when it comes to injections, but they're much.
Speaker 1: More openly, more.
Speaker 3: Women, braver, stronger, But so the the that's why there's unprecedented demand and why it's we're kind of in a moment here where the opportunity to be able to talk that's what we're doing here at Milk and talking to CEOs, talking to CFOs that now breaking the cost curve is that time is here, we're able to do that.
Speaker 2: I do want to go back to the Tom Brady of it all a little bit more because you mentioned that obviously health and wellness is a huge personal thing of yours. And you mentioned that, you know, you founded your own companies in the past. We talked to a lot of former athletes on the clothes actually about how they sort of approach that's actually true. But how do you evaluate different business opportunities? How do you decide what to put your name too? And I mean, how many things are you saying no to at.
Speaker 4: This point quite a bit? Yeah, I get different opportunities based on you know, what people are really looking for and how they want me to kind of play a role in their business. But I think I want to add a lot of value to what I'm doing. It's not just really even with the e met really being involved with Linda and our friend Michael who's the founder of the company, and some of the decision making how we're going after and how we're attacking this solution is what's very important. So to be involved in difference because I I love learning, I love growing as an athlete. I surrounded myself with incredible mentors over the course of my life that I was able to learn from. I was to take the things that they could teach me and then try to apply that going forward. Now I'm still kind of relatively young in my business career, but I feel like I have a lot of room for growth.
Speaker 1: You're doing well. Are you going to take this money, whatever you make off of EMAT and put that more into the Raiders?
Speaker 4: On the Raiders for sure where it's a lot to be improved, But that's that's it. You know. Football is my I's always been my first love. Truly obsessed with that.
Speaker 1: And you're going to stay tethered to the NFL in some way, yether as ownership or broadcasting or whatever.
Speaker 4: Love football. I love team sports, and I love that it keeps everyone engaged, and I love that there's real outcomes every day. I think the purest thing about sports is that we can see how well we prepared. We can see what the kind of work we put in. Because there's a score button on each end of the stadium, you get to see how you did. There's something really finite about that that we're all compelled to watch and being involved in it for as long as I have. It's kind of, like I said, my first level, I want to be in it for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: Well, Tom, I really appreciate you being here, Linda as well, good luck to both of you. Tom Brady, of course NFL legend, now the co owner of e MET, along with Linda Yakarino, the CEO of e MET as well