Speaker 1: My name is Clay Nukeleman. This is a production of the Bear Grease podcast called The Bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast, presented by f h F Gear, American made purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place as we explore. I want to pull the group here about something. Should I tell the world that I'm writing a book if it's a year to a year and a half out from being published.
Speaker 2: Yes, Gosh, I can't think of a good reason why you wouldn't been.
Speaker 3: Whatever your publishers say.
Speaker 1: Okay, publisher Bear, what do you think I would say, go for it? Might as well kind.
Speaker 4: Of gary, yeah, tell them, Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 1: Guess why your very own Clay Knook is deep in the heart of a process for writing a book. What made me think of it was on the screen right there, was like, you know, writing, And I was actually with Giannis Putellis the other day and he he was just like, Clay, you got to tell the world because I've kind of not told the world even though it is public knowledge. Because when you get a book contract with a publisher. What the publisher does is they send out a memo to the writing world, like the underworld that like normal people.
Speaker 5: The CD underbelly of authors, Yeah, exactly, for real, Like so it wouldn't be something that just like I would be attuned to, but it's something that writers and publishers would see.
Speaker 1: And you do it to state claim on some topic. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the book, like, hey, I'm writing a cookbook.
Speaker 1: The book, you know at this time is titled American Bear, and that's known that was known a year ago, and but I haven't talked about it because in my mind it's like, am I going to start telling about the research and what I'm doing? And you, honest we tell us was like Clay, if every single podcast you talked about really what you were learning for the next year, you would not even touch the surface of what's in the book, and you would build people's excitement towards it. And so so here we go. I'm writing a book and I'm I'm very excited about it. And really the book is about the American Black Bear, and it's in it's trajectory in American history, which is an incredible that I've never really I don't think anybody's ever like put all the pieces together, and it's going back all the way to deep indigenous worldviews on bear in the in the first contact with with bears that we have documented, all the way into the market hunting of black bears, which is incredible with guys like Boone and Crockett and Gershtocker and Native Americans who were massively involved in the market hunting of black bears, coming all the way up to the modern times of the black bear thriving. Whatever is happening ecologically on planet Earth today has been beneficial to the American black bear. There are eight species of bears on planet Earth, and every one of them has some level of imperiled status in the black bear. There are more American black bears versus Americana. There are twice as many as all the bear species of planets Earth combined. So if there are you know, twenty five thousand polar bears and two hundred thousand brown bears, and and you know all the other there are eight species, one in South America, multiple in Europe. If if you combine all of them, they're twice as many black bears, and so in a time, and this is why you're going to buy the book Dad is in a time you're gonna buy You're gonna buy Christmas for Bear, Ben and Josh When in a time when all the media about planet Earth is is ecological doom, which I mean is kind of true. I mean, with the expansion of civilization and they're being you know, approaching eight billion people on planet Earth and the needs of all these people, there's there's all this like ecological doom. But something crazy has happened with the America black bear and they're springing up in places they hadn't been in one hundred and fifty years, and every researched population of bears is increasing or stable. And it's a fascinating story about America's bear, which is endemic to North America.
Speaker 2: Well, I just thought it was amazing when you said there's eight species of bears, Like of all the big game animals, of all the cats and everything, I don't know that there's any that have just that limited number of species in that category.
Speaker 1: Okay, again, I hope your honest is right about me talking about this because I could talk about it for forever. We'll quickly get to Ostiola. This episode is about Ostiola, but in the fossil record, there have been hundreds hundreds of bears that have come and gone that were gone that we would have never even encountered. I mean, like the fossil record is full of bears. And if you were looking at time in like a like like geologic time as opposed to time that really humans can comprehend and understand. Bears are like on the decline. Just just there used to be a hundred species. Now there's eight and it and and that that's not fodder for like not managing them and hunting them. It's actually more fodder for like we need, we need, we need to help them as much as we can, and for a black bear that means you know, regulated hunting in places. But anyway, it's just fascinating. So mark your calendars.
Speaker 2: For one and a half years from today.
Speaker 1: I mean, and I'm a year into this, I'm a year into it. But but we're really turning up the dial.
Speaker 6: So yeah, save your pennies and nickels so you can buy.
Speaker 1: Save your pennies and nickels. It's gonna be it's it's gonna be great. I'm gonna I'm gonna read the audiobook. Yeah, yeah, it's gonna be good. Dad. Great to have you been a while since you've been up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's good to be here. I mean I was. I felt like I had been fired.
Speaker 4: It felt so good. Really, I mean, you know, I'm retired, I'm free. You can't really let glove on me.
Speaker 1: A good thing about it, A good thing about the renders if you get fired, you never know. Yeah, it's kind of like, don't show back up. No, man, we just we just invite hey, just.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about me. Just use me. Just call me when you need me.
Speaker 1: We need you, We need you for Osceola. This this is to me one of the most like when I rank in my mind the work done for a Beargrease documentary style podcasts, it's not so much about like which one is my favorite or which one, but but I really kind of have a mechanism for just ranking the quality of them. And it has to do with the guests, It has to do with the story, It has to do with inten things that happen inside the interviews. It has to do with a lot of times just the cultural touch points that the story touches that we kind of go into and and then it then it goes back to really how well, Like if someone listened to these three episodes and knew nothing of Ostiola, Like what would they learn? Would they really learn? Because there's sometimes with historic characters that I feel like we kind of just did like an okay job. Maybe it was entertaining and fun, but man, I felt like this one was like top shelf. And it was because of doctor Patricia Wickman.
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 2: She was good, really good.
Speaker 1: Oh. I talked to her for four hours, you know, and we're going to end up here in probably two total hours of what she said, and I mean just a unbelievable I said it over and over, but it was she she has an unbelievable passion, ability to retain knowledge and just a lie a career, like a forty year span. She wrote this book right here when she was in college in the nineteen seventies. Her thesis, her thesis. Yeah, it's like there was so much. Yeah, her dissertation was on ostiola, and so she wrote this book and it was it's like just stacked. I mean it's like reading a you know, a medical manuscript, you know, just just stacked with information. And uh. And then as if that wasn't good enough. She came back and wrote the revised edition, which she was adamant.
Speaker 2: Quite a bit thicker. Oh, it's like she's added quite a bit.
Speaker 1: It's like a lot thicker. And when I went to see her dad, she was adamant that I read this one and not this one, really because I had read this one. And she was like, oh no, no, no, no, don't you come to Florida without reading.
Speaker 2: Honey.
Speaker 1: Honey almost here saying that, oh yeah, she did, and uh and and it was like two days before I was supposed to go to Florida, So I I don't tell her I read most of it. Well, you did read I.
Speaker 6: Thought it was in the interview. In the interview, you.
Speaker 7: Said I read this today, and I thought, oh man, you almost got yourself in trouble there.
Speaker 1: I was cramming. I was cramming because she she was so sweet, though I appreciated her directness at times, it's going like, no, you don't understand.
Speaker 4: You know what what made her to me so effective? And it's sort of a lesson in life. And you can't you can't create it. I mean, it's got to be natural. But her little giggle, her little I mean, it just took a pH d full of knowledge and put her kind of in the coffee shop, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh, it was just beautiful really yeah.
Speaker 4: And with that, without the smiles and the giggles, you know, it would have been good, but not great like it ended up, I'd say for sure.
Speaker 7: And her reprimand I appreciated all the reprimands she gave, her smiles, giggles, and she was like.
Speaker 1: Like put your put your coffee cup on the coaster. Yeah, like you know, she was. She was very serious about.
Speaker 2: I liked when she when he mentioned about about the slaves assimilating into she was like no, no, no, no no no no no no no.
Speaker 1: No no no, honey, yeah, yeah, you know, I left some of that stuff in very much on purpose. And I hope it doesn't embarrass her because I was actually doing it because it was so I thought it was so cool and and it really showed who she was, you know. And uh, and then just I didn't know a lot about her, and the more I talked to her, the more I saw just you know, I think I used in the podcast the term she was a real gangster, I mean, meaning she was just like legit, like she lived with the Seminoles. She you know, when I when I brought up that Osceola had been taken to a broad like a play in Charleston while he was in prison.
Speaker 2: Don't divulge too much of that. We've got some good trivia this week.
Speaker 1: Oh well, she was like, you know what he did? And I went to the New York Museum and copied the entire play, went back to Charleston, invited the Seminoles up, and we did a reading in the theater yep for them. The Flora sent carnations. I mean, it was just like it's like, wow, this this woman's been there, you know, and of I'm kind of just going on and on, but I like it when a story. I think that's what makes a good story too, is that the story. This was about Ostiola, but it was kind of fun to get a little window into doctor Wickman. So it was exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that was the first introduction. Bear new comes here. Good to see a bear. Nice shoes, thank you. I mean I don't they don't. I don't really approve of them, like uh well, I mean you follow, they look really up in front, they look really good, really stylish. But as you know, I think a grown man ought to be wearing leather, leather boots of some kind of like eighty percent of his life. I'm sorry, it's not it's not right, but it's not wrong, and my dad would have disagreed with me. Dad always thought I was kind of a dressed like a hillbilly. Some of us are trying to look nice.
Speaker 2: But putting in some effort.
Speaker 1: No, you look great, but I just don't want to, you know, I don't want to make you feel too great.
Speaker 7: It does break the cardinal rule that we've had in our family that no one is allowed to have white things here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, good luck with that, buddy.
Speaker 6: Well on our dirt road. But they look good.
Speaker 3: You're becoming his own man is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, needs a haircut? Yeah, just no. I'm proud of you, bear, Ben Lagron, Good to have you back. Ben's been on here many times, former history teacher, doing all kind of stuff. I'm interested to hear your take on Ostiola. Did you know much about Ostiola?
Speaker 3: Well that it has to do with being a history teacher. When you're a history teacher, you got to know a little bit of a lot of things. And that's why I enjoyed listening to her. Because you always get a deeper appreciation that every story has so many layers of complexity. And I enjoyed listen to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah cool. Also, so what what yeah you got?
Speaker 3: I just want to point out before we get to serious, I am a sneakers man, beer skinny guy's gotta stick together and be you know, Clay always says, you.
Speaker 2: Just got you just got moved all the category heavyweight people.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest. I can't wear big heavy boots all day like I'm so.
Speaker 1: Small, You're not strong enough.
Speaker 3: I'm not strong enough. But here's what Here's what I do have is that I can always run really fast in these shoes. Well, and I am a.
Speaker 1: Fast until I take my boots off, and then I'm like, who It's true because you know it's like where it weighted ankle weights, you know, and then when you take them off you can run like.
Speaker 2: That, right, that's right.
Speaker 3: The conditioning good point.
Speaker 1: Well, no, that's maybe. And grease color I've noticed that. Just pick that too. Yeah, yeah, Josh, good to see you. Thanks, doctor mister Nukem. Great to see you, very good to see you. Today is Misty's anniversary. How many years? Twenty four years twenty four years. Were married in the year of two thousand. How would you say that in a more uh, the year of our two thousand, like two dominate twenty odd or something. You know, No, mistery and I have been. We got married in the kind of the.
Speaker 2: The post prime of your life.
Speaker 1: The prime of our lives, but the latter end of the white tail rut. I remember I told Jeff Cunningham, who was my one of my best friend's dads at the time. I told him that I was getting married on November eighteenth, and he was like, you're going to regret that. He's like, He's like, I'm going to have to come in from deer camp to come to your wedding, Jeff, and he did.
Speaker 7: And you have regretted. No, you've not regretted getting married, but that the timing. We never celebrate our anniversary on the day or anywhere near it. We actually up six months earlier or six months later, depend on how.
Speaker 2: Well, Hey, you know what it goes without and redo it like in Midsummer.
Speaker 1: Josh, you just that just as a slap in the face to what I was just about to say. That very serious, never mind, Gary Newcomb taught me from the time was what two? I mean, like, before I could say dad die, he said, don't ever say the word divorce in this house, did you not?
Speaker 2: I sure did?
Speaker 1: I mean, Jesus, we don't use that word. We don't even say it.
Speaker 2: Josh, Sorry, I said it. I take it all back.
Speaker 1: No, No, I was going to say, we I really do. I mean, it's it's a big deal to be married to somebody committed for decades. It's a big deal. So something we on for sure. Absolutely, Yep, it's great.
Speaker 7: Speaking of did you all get the same ads that I got in the Bear Grease in this in this podcast where Clay said what he was thankful for?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I actually didn't know where it was going because he started off saying, this is basically an ad for better help, and then he said I'm thankful for Misty.
Speaker 6: I was like, shot.
Speaker 3: Or she or she calls me to have therapy.
Speaker 6: I think that's where I was going.
Speaker 2: I'm thankful for a misty, But I have to talk about it a lot. Can we talk?
Speaker 1: Can we talk about the c D underbelly of podcast ads? Yeah? Yeah, they they send you these these ads that you read, but then they say that they'll tell you things to like talk about. Like they'll say, tell someone that, and sometimes the connection is not always there. For me, it's like a cold open like tell about someone in your life, a relationship in your life that you're thankful for. And so it's like, okay, so I talked about mysty and then it's like, if you want someone in your life to help you, you know, call betterhelp dot com.
Speaker 6: Yeah, then you said I'm thankful for myself.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they they that was that was part part of their deal. Like this month was that this idea that you know, like it's okay to.
Speaker 2: Like it's it's like the month of self gratitude, right, gratitude and self care or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not I'm not into that word self care. It's a little a little little self aggrandizing, I don't know, like a little selfie selfie. Yeah, it's it's just kind of like trendy in the age to be like you got to take care of yourself. I mean you do, but we don't have to talk about it.
Speaker 2: But thanks Better Help for advertising.
Speaker 1: Actually, I think it's a great service. I mean I really do.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: My brothers are both therapists or in the therapist adjacent world, and uh, I think it's actually I think I think it's actually a really good service that you could call somebody and have a kind of an unbiased opinion. So use clay at your cheery.
Speaker 7: Yeah they did not that that was unscripted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: I got a funny story. You see this moose antler right here, there's a moose antler behind me. So I hunted the last couple of years with Steve Vanella and Alaska for moose at really the day that we're recording this, so when it comes out, it'll be out. There's the video on the med Eat YouTube channel of the rough cuts called Steve Vanilla rough Cuts of us moose hunting in Alaska two years ago and when the when the plane flew over to come get us, or when he left, the pilot saw a moose paddle and he would later try to describe to us when he came back kind of where it was. He was like, it's like out there, but it was like a quarter mile from the camp, and we went looking for it, couldn't find it. Long story short, when Steve went back to Alaska this year without me, they found the moose handler that was by camp and he sent it to me, which I thought was really cool. Yeah, he shipped it in like a giant box and sent me that moose.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, they had killed a moose and Brody Henderson had killed a moose, and so that antler had a big splotch of blood on it, and they didn't clean it when they sent it. They just put it in a box and sent it. When it came to my house, we took it out of the box and put it on the fireplace. This is a complicated story, Okay, just hang with me. He's worth it.
Speaker 6: I think it's easier than you think. I think we're all trying.
Speaker 1: The moose is on our wood stove. Above the wood stove is the moose that I killed the year before, which is giant hanging on the wall as a euro mount. Many times in our family we've talked about what if that moose fell off the wall, And if you were sitting underneath that moose and it fell like seven feet and came down on you, it would likely kill you. It could kill you, You could hurt you. My daughter River Nukem walks into our house.
Speaker 6: That she walks out of her bedroom which is upstairs.
Speaker 1: She okay, she walks out of her bedroom and looks down into our living.
Speaker 7: Room, and Clay and I are usually sitting in the living room every morning when she wakes up to go to work, we're having coffee. So that's what she was expecting to see, was us sitting there.
Speaker 1: And she sees a moose antler laying underneath the big moose with blood on it. She said that for like a very few real seconds, she was certain that one of those antlers had fallen off and killed someone in their house. Perfect since there was this huge blood. I mean, like, why would there be blood on this big moose antler. We don't have two moose, you know. Anyway, so River had a little traumatic moment and then she was like looked at the moose on the wall and she's like, well, it's still there, and there's that one. Anyway. It was funny.
Speaker 4: That is beautiful. That looks like a piece of canvas. If you could ever yeah yeah, oh yeah, they'd finds.
Speaker 2: Something to put on it. Man, that would really be something. It's something you could paint you something on there.
Speaker 1: Man. I think a moose andler is like one of the most spectacular I mean it's one of the most spectacular antlers. But they're just fascinated. Yeah, it's just so big, you know.
Speaker 2: This little guy. I mean, he's beautiful. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, we got I just got so many stories to tell. I got to tell one just real quick about River. This is kind of a monologue today. I've been in the deer stand a lot. Thank you, Thank you for coming to many people. Thank you for coming. So Bear, we don't have to go into all the details just yet. But Bear had his annual deer camp, right okay, and this this story's gonna quickly get back to River.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had like.
Speaker 1: Twenty people at Bear's deer camp. There were thirty total that like came, Are you serious? Thirty? They were almost always twenty at once. Like people would come and go from all over the country, from all over other countries. Yeah, we had like three countries represented there. Yeah. And and most of these guys are new hunters. Some of them were veteran hunters. Yep. Most shepherd showed up. Yep. I was there for a short time. You'll cook some cook some meat for y'all.
Speaker 7: The young guys come, a lot of the younger Yeah, young men around here like eleven, twelve, thirteen years old come with their parents.
Speaker 6: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: So you're going to be surprised at what part of the story that I'm interested in. Okay, they deer hunt and don't kill any deer, but they kill a bear. Are from Levi Mashburn shoots a bear. It's really we've killing machine this year. He's had a great season. We should have had him on the podcast.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's made a lot of work in I mean, the last couple of years he has.
Speaker 1: He's hunted hard in the last two years. Yeah, and has it had made any killed a bear and and you might think that's what I would be interested in, but it's it's actually not sorry what uh No, Levi knows. I'm really proud of him, very proud of him. He did a just a phenomenal job. River Nukeom went to bring food. Her and her friends took dinner for all the deer hunters. It actually went out in the mountains and when they got there, Levi had killed a bear and they were all gonna go way back and it was a it was a long hike. It was a tough pack up. I mean, it wasn't like a they're in the big mountains man, And they went back there.
Speaker 6: And River wasn't planning to stay, plan to drop.
Speaker 1: Yeah. River just like had just normal clothes on and had crocs. I think she had ugsu Yeah, ugs like slip on ugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Dad, they're going on this like significant hike. It was point six, six miles from the road, but steep, like really steep six miles in point yeah, point zero points the people out west. That doesn't sound impressive, no, but it was a it was a forty five minute hike in there probably, Yeah, just real steep. River takes off her shoes and walks in their barefoot in the wood like a sasquatch. And the worst part about it was it wasn't only steep, but it was thick. I mean there was just brush and thorn. River. Since River didn't wear she's she didn't wear shoes until she was like nine, when we made her.
Speaker 7: Well, when she would go to school, I would walk in and I would just see River shoes in the hallway at school and I would be like, why why doesn't River have shoes on? And teachers would say, we've been telling her to get them on. She just takes them off in every.
Speaker 6: Class and she could never find her shoes at school.
Speaker 1: People people and indigenous people and people across the world that don't wear shoes. Shoes tighten your feet up and make your toes stick together like this like all normal people's feet. But if you don't wear shoes, your toes spread out like you could, you know, like poke the ground in between your toes. River has toes, like really, they've.
Speaker 7: Come together in her older age, you know, when she has jobs.
Speaker 1: And the other day, like in the last year, we were joking about when she was a little girl, she didn't wear shoes, and I said, could you still run across the gravel? I mean if I go out on the gravel? Yeah, and she was she was like oh yeah. She was like, oh yeah, I could. I could do it. And I was like, no, you couldn't show me. She takes her shoes off and just sprints down the driveways, a full sprint. So anyway, congratulations.
Speaker 2: She kind of looks like a Native American too. You ever noticed that she's got that dark tire.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, everybody in Arkansas believes that they're part Native American.
Speaker 6: I don't know if that's a thing everywhere.
Speaker 1: One day We're going to do a Barger's podcast on it, because there's there's actually a legitimate cultural thing about and I don't quite have my fingers on it, but everybody. You can hardly talk to a person down here that doesn't claim to have Native American heritage, and I think most of the time it's not true. I mean there's stories in our family of it. I mean, my whole life grew up here in that juju that my well, my grandmother NANAE Milsap grew up in Oklahoma, which is you know, Indian Territory. Yeah, and that her grandmother was full blood Turkey, do you I mean that's.
Speaker 2: What I grew up here and yeah.
Speaker 1: And but now they have like as I've gone back to try to like, okay, let's is that really true, It's like nobody can really prove it. I talked to people NonStop that last week. I talked to a guy and he was like, yep, my great great grandmother was this or that, and it's like three in me. We checked can tell me that that doesn't that doesn't work.
Speaker 6: Guess who's not putting their blood in that sample to be compared to.
Speaker 8: Oh you see what I'm saying, and you need this, you need the sample because I mean, just like we see with Osiola and we learned from Sterling hard Joe, it's not exactly like the the.
Speaker 1: The Native American people in this country have a lot of reason to trust the system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, understandably, so I.
Speaker 1: Mean for real. Yeah, you know, No, that's a big topic. I'm not ready to fully discuss it. But interesting. Interesting. So sorry LEVI that your story was second only to River going in Barefoot.
Speaker 3: I wish River was here in that whole tennis shoe boot debate because she would have brought a whole another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt. I think we should probably start with trivia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I agree we're going to have trivia. I didn't.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I wish I would have studied the teachers about to get schooled. Look what we got here.
Speaker 6: Oh, we've got.
Speaker 1: I will play, but I won't count. Sound like I think we'll see if you can stump me.
Speaker 2: Okay, there we go. Dad.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you academically listened to this podcast?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know just about everything.
Speaker 1: You know. I do appreciate that about you. When you listen, I can really tell you listen.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm not too sure how much I retained.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about you? How do you feel like you're going to do? I would say decent because I listened to this in the ox cord of my truck just disappeared, so I had to listen to it, you know, on my phone while driving. So probably all right, gosh, take us up, take us away?
Speaker 2: Ready for this?
Speaker 1: How many questions do we have?
Speaker 2: We have eight in a bone or nine on a bonus? I think? Okay, okay, and keep your score on the bottom of ere of your board.
Speaker 1: So how it give us the rule? How we doing it?
Speaker 2: So everybody, I'm going to give you a question. Oh, we just write it down and you write down the answer, just like meat eater trivia, right if you get If you get a point, mark it down at the bottom of your board. Okay, okay, my old man glasses here so I can see what I'm doing. Okay. Question number one, what is the name of the stockade or osceola? Was originally held? Wow? I thought we'd have a B C or no multiple choice? Scary? Mmm, this is not the act, anybody. Remember, it's not fun.
Speaker 6: It's the question so hard. No one can.
Speaker 2: It was said at.
Speaker 1: Least three times. Yeah, I know you're right, because they they took him. This is not giving anybody hint because I actually I don't remember, but they when they captured him under a flag of truce, they took him to a town near Saint.
Speaker 2: I will tell you it starts with Fort Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was there for a while, and that's where the Indians escaped yep, potentially by gotcha kill it?
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, all right, does anybody have an answer?
Speaker 6: I have an answer?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, let's see your answers. Clay, what do you got Fort Payne? Fort Payne? He has Fort Charles Theater, Charleston Theater Group, Ben Blank Bear, Fort Myers. That's a good guest, Bear, Gary, you got a guess? Clay is the closest. It's actually Fort Peyton, Fort Peyton Books. Okay, So no right answers on that one. Okay. Question number two and and this one was mentioned several times too, and I think everybody should should pick up on this one. What was the name of the post surgeon and local doctor that befriended Osciola and later took his head post mortem? That will be going to take someone's head. It's always going to be post mortem, right.
Speaker 3: I've literally been thinking about the story all morning that I can't recall his name. Oh wait, a Shamus at the beginning, Josh, you're all going to get this.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I didn't want us to have this big discussion and answer all the questions in the discussion. Okay, everybody got to answer, all right, Clay, doctor Frederick, Whedon, Misty, doctor Kiljoy, what do you got nothing? Bear Weeley, that's Wheden. I should have had Gary show up before I said it, because did you remember that?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm really I love you all. Everyone's here because I love you. I'm really disappointed a former.
Speaker 2: Hold on, there's there's a bonus question to this one. What was his wife's name? Oh, that's a bonus, just a bonus question.
Speaker 1: Bonus.
Speaker 2: There's there's no, there's no. He won't be disappointed with you if you know, if you.
Speaker 1: Don't want Yeah, that's a tough one.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see your answers. Misty, Joe, Lene, let me just say Judith. Okay, Judith, question mark Edith not Patricia.
Speaker 3: Her name was Mary classic.
Speaker 1: So there was some there was so much that you just couldn't tell the story. But Mary Whedon was ken to the guy that Osceola assassinated. Oh really, the Wiley Wiley Thompson. Mary Whedon was ken to Wiley Thompson. And there was a conspiracy theory that the reason Whedon cut his head off was retribution to Mary's family. I think it's totally unfounded. Me and doctor Wickman disgusted.
Speaker 2: Okay, next question. According to the story told by the Seminoles, the imprisoned Indians made medicine that turned them into what so they could escape through the prison of walls.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm refusing to answer this question, but.
Speaker 2: It got an answer. Misty answer one.
Speaker 3: Doing a lot of yard work, a lot of hard yards.
Speaker 2: Okay, the correct answer is The.
Speaker 1: Correct answer is not ants? What what they didn't turn into? Answer?
Speaker 6: It was water that came up, You didn't they saw?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the reason that I refuse to answer, because they didn't turn into anything. They didn't turn into they became.
Speaker 6: Described it though. I actually had to listen to it twice.
Speaker 2: Okay, I listened to the podcast twice and I didn't catch it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, if you, if you really listen, they didn't turn into ants. They became as small as ants. Oh that's that makes sense, like honey, the kids, Yeah, okay, got it.
Speaker 6: I wonder if there's some copyright infringement there.
Speaker 2: Maybe Okay, well that one doesn't count apparently, all right.
Speaker 1: Can we can? Can we use this as a springboard to talk about a few things that I don't think will be a question. I actually really I said it. I think I hope it came across that, like I really like these stories of like supernatural activity. What did you think about my commentary about supernatural stuff? You remember, I said basically that a lot of times you hear these stories and you're just like, ah, that's like just completely discounted folklore. And the reason I brought up the biblical prison break is because sometimes I think, I mean, like in the cultural lexicon of a lot of people who would consider themselves Christians, like if you hear this story about someone turning into the size of an ant, you're kind of just like chuckle. But I mean, like in the in our stories, we got some wild stories too, yeah, you know, And so anyway, I'm not saying that I believe that that happened, but basically supernatural being things that would break the laws of physics that we know to be true. And but the way that it is, the way that you know it's it's it's seen as the spirit world would work, is that you're you're belief in it would be the catalyst to like seeing it, you know. And and and basically the idea that the way that you think right now, bear bear shoes those no. No, the way that we think is not the way that most people that ever lived on planet Earth thought. I mean, like we are a product of a long time, like the Enlightenment and all this science and all this stuff, which is true. Like I'm not saying that science isn't true, but I wish I could have kept it on there. But Patricia Wickman was actually at one point she was talking about she was talking about Indian medicine like, which was just like they're essentially their access to the spirit realm, which again I'm not saying I might, I'm not saying anything about that, but she said, as smart as she is, she said, for me to think that I understand all the mechanisms of how this universe operates, right is absurd. And that's kind of what I said, Buck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think there's a lot of wisdom in that statement you just said, and I find it interesting right now, like you could go watch a million documentaries on paranormal activity, UFOs and all this stuff that it's you, your skeptical brain, your Western educated skeptic brain, wants to just like poke holes in the whole thing. But when you think about just like the accumulating mass of eyewitness accounts or some of these documentaries prove you at least walk away, You're like, you know what, I don't really know what happened, So it would be very arrogant of me to say, oh, they're all just crazy and it's all of this massive conspiracy. And so that's that's my feedback on your statement there in the podcast of like, like you pointed out, who are we to say over here this is false? And I know that for sure in this over here that validates my beliefs. It's true. What is easy to me to assess me look at the big picture of human history is that there's obviously some way more complex things going on than we can that we can assess by our own personal experience. Because that's where humans get so messed up as they think, well, I've never seen that. Yeah, it's not true. It's like, Wow, you've been on this planet for this much and you can make an assessment on all of the entire universe. That's pretty bold.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I liked what you said about how like a lot of times the super like if we would have had like you know, people would have had no understanding of like science in the laws of physics, Like whenever they'd like pray for a rainstorm and a rainstorm would come, like there was still science behind that. Like there it was like I forgot exactly how you word it, but like a lot of times like the natural functions of the Earth can be you know, like are the supernatural can play out even in the midst of.
Speaker 6: In the context of the natural laws of physical.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, because and kind of the point of that, well finish your thought there, well yeah, And I mean it's like even like a lot of the like stories in the Bible, like sometimes they'll like uncover things like the one example I could think of was like in Sodom and Gomora, you know, like they uncovered like that city that had like the high sulfur content they think like meteorites, yeah or something, and it was like, if you'd have had no understanding of what a meteorite was, you would have said, yeah, balls of fire are flying from the sky destroying the city. But it's like there was actually like a natural thing behind it. Yeah, yeah, exactly. That's good.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think that I think it's a real discount to humanity to not believe in the supernatural. And I think that that's probably why some of the imbalances that we're seeing on on planet Earth exist, because we actually are we are supernatural beings, and we should have sight for those things, and and we're kind of denying this thing that makes us fundamentally different.
Speaker 1: And I think you can say that and also be like a massive believer and proponent of science. Oh yeah, both of those things can fit into the same the same vat. And what I was saying about that belief in and when I say supernatural, I'm not even talking about like turning yourself into the size of an ant something that dramatic like that's but but you live a self fulfilling prophecy. And so the question is what is reality? So if I walk around and believe that the that there is a spirit realm, that's as real as the natural realm, and through my faith in God, I have access to that at some level, like at some level for my life, which you know, I could give examples of things that have happened to me that that that bias that I have to believe that because for whatever reason makes it actually real to me. And if you don't, like, if if you're cut off to that, then then you have full right to be like, No, supernatural is not real. I mean because it's not to you, right, I mean it's like and you won't see it, and you won't see it. Yeah, You're going to go through your whole life and never see it. I mean that's the that's the triggering power of faith that we see about. Yeah, it is, I mean like the I and that's where the the spirit realm is accessed differently than the natural realm. And anyway, I think that's massively interesting and massively relevant. I mean, it's just like in our our society today, we're enamored with the things we can touch, touch, taste, see, smell, rationally think and man, when I look back and of all the research I've done in bear Grease and interviewing all these people, I'm kind of looking back into history, Like I realize what has been lost inside of modern society with all the knowledge that we have that's wonderful, like that, we've lost part of our humanity. And I'm not talking about uki guki spiritual stuff like I I don't know, I think I'm I think we're pretty normal people. And and actually to be normal is to have an understanding of the you know, some grapple of the of the of the spirit realm, you know.
Speaker 2: And so well, one.
Speaker 4: Let me use the word truism that you see in all societies, all people, they all seek a superior being everybody. I mean, I don't care you go to remote places years ago that they had never even seen anybody. I mean they're doing they're doing something. You know, they're looking at the sun. You know, they're so it's in it's pretty much in eight within.
Speaker 2: Us to seek this out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I believe it or not, it's too consistent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the seminos, I mean they're you know, they're seeking out absolutely a spiritual life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always say, just to wrap that thought, I've always say science anders the house. Spirituality answers the why they don't have to be inseparable and so if you deny one of those, you basically have to say that there is no why, and that's a pretty sad place to live. Yeah, and you only have the how, and that's not really a basis for building your life in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. Now I love when little tangents kind of take you down a road you wouldn't think about. So yeah, good question, Joshy. Except for how they didn't turn into ants.
Speaker 6: Clearly, God, I'm still giving myself one point for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna go hide that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still exactly get a point for ants?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, Yeah, can we get a point?
Speaker 2: He was question question number four, Question question number four. On January first, eighteen thirty eight, the imprisoned. The imprisoned seminoles were moved from Saint Augustine, Florida, to Charleston, South Carolina, to more sanitary conditions under the supervision of Captain Pitt Cairn Morrison. How many seminoles were there? And this was mentioned at least twice, So I'll give you a hint. It's more than fifty and less than four hundred.
Speaker 1: In rhymes with foo hundred and forty eight forty.
Speaker 2: Okay, does everybody have an answer, Hey, Spencer movie, it gives you like two minutes, I give you like fifteen.
Speaker 1: And I'll give you a bonus point if you can name the name of the ship that they were on. Yeah. Now, I don't want our tribute to become just like factual trivia. I would like may wow, Shanna Maria, Yeah, to have like, uh, maybe maybe throwing a few more questions that were more like essays conceptual questions.
Speaker 6: Yea.
Speaker 3: For as a history, you look for the concepts.
Speaker 1: Okay, go ahead. Really a good job, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 6: So my answer based off of Clay's hit two hundred.
Speaker 3: Okay, man, how do you have time to draw the pictures?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did, Honestly, I knew it was two hundred something.
Speaker 2: I did know that, Okay, Okay, Oh good eight and Clay with the correct answer too, hundred and thirty seven. That's half a point.
Speaker 1: That's point because there was actually a little math in there, because she said all two hundred and thirty seven seminoles and then the next one I referenced and I said osceola and the other two hundred and thirty six. So yeah, okay. Great tricks of the podcast in Trade.
Speaker 2: Okay, this one it because it was it was discussed what was the name of the play that the prisoners were taking to see at the dock Street Theater and Charleston.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're setting us up for failure when you say this one.
Speaker 2: Everyone little known fact. Christy and I went on our twenty fifth anniversary last year. We went to Charleston and we almost went to go see a play at the dock Street Theater.
Speaker 1: No way, Yeah, did you really?
Speaker 2: Yep? Wow?
Speaker 1: And y'all have been married a year longer than us two.
Speaker 2: We just celebrated our twenty sixth anniversary. Oh wow, yeah, great.
Speaker 1: How long you been married? Dad?
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 4: It's more than fifty Yeah, because we were married.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody got it from the type.
Speaker 2: Reva Hamilton, Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Okay, those are blanks because I didn't remember Gary nothing.
Speaker 2: It was called the Honeymoon.
Speaker 1: I knew it had something to do with a celestial bean. Yeah, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: This is a This is a a name one of the artists that painted Ossiola's portraits just before his death. There were two of them that he mentioned.
Speaker 1: And there were actually a lot more.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the this happened three days before his death. We need to start.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is the name that do you remember this name?
Speaker 2: Ben?
Speaker 3: I did it rung about with one of the two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because this guy was really famous, guy Boone?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, well.
Speaker 6: Ture sounded like that in the podcast.
Speaker 1: One of them, you guys. No, I did equate this man painting Ostiola to the young portrait painter. Is the name has escaped me, But it wasn't. George Catlin painted Boone.
Speaker 2: Well, Clay just gave one of the answers Kyle Carroll.
Speaker 1: Carrol who made this. Kyle is a modern artist in game War.
Speaker 2: He was our guest on our last frinder.
Speaker 1: Oh that's just right in his end, I can't spells.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, we're on a roll here, folks, Okay, I do have to talk about this.
Speaker 1: I really you kind of get the sense when you these painters. I mean, this was before photography, Like the only way that the American public would know what someone looked like if someone painted him. I mean, how cool would that be? How cool would the pace of life? It was just interesting?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then these guys would also, right, I mean they would sit for hours, days, you know, the Boone. The Boone portrait painter went to Boone's house and I'll never I'll never forget this, Like I almost cried when I read it on the podcast when I you know, on back in those episodes, just because I don't know. It's just like a touching human moment. Daniel Boone, this American archetype of identity frontiersman. He was so unknown when he died. He was aged eighty four and had been and was in Missouri and didn't even know his neighbor. This guy traveled down from one hundred miles via horse, gets within him like a mile of Boone's house, and he stops and asks a man, hey, do you know Daniel Boone? And the guy goes no. And the man's wife overhears the conversation with a stranger and she goes, yeah, that's the old man that lives down by the river, you know, yeah, And he goes, oh, yeah, that old white haired guy. And then he goes down there and finds Boone roasting venison on a ramrod over a fire in his house. Eighty four year old man Daniel Boone, you know, captured by the Shawnees. They called him a big turtle, never had a Shawnee wife, loved one woman his whole life. Yeah, and uh, and then and then Boone dies and and and that's the only actual portrait of Boone that we have. And then Osceola dies just days after they paint his portrait. And these were the first portraits that ever came out about Ostiola because he was running from the law. I mean, he was like Osama bin Laden in a way. I mean, you know, just in the American consciousness, it would have been like essentially like a terrorist, but people wanted to know what he looked like people. I think that's fast.
Speaker 3: I appreciated you saying that because we're in our world of just photos everywhere. Now we got ai can make images. It's like we don't really appreciate how valuable that stuff is. That's why Dolly Madison, you know, ran into the White House to grab George Washington portrait when the British attack and the word of eighteen twelve.
Speaker 1: It's a good history.
Speaker 3: It's like, this is we got to save this thing, and yeah, we don't. And it was hard at trying to get students to appreciate old art because it was like he cares about this old guy. It's like no man. That was very significant.
Speaker 1: And then they would always ride about him. That was the point. This is more of a monologue today. They would rather description and yeah, and I thought his description it was a little you know, he talked to me. It was interesting just the way he described Oscilla's character. He said, you could search the world and never find a man like this.
Speaker 7: I think about those guys who sat in silence for days while they painted there. I remember hearing about the impact that hairstylists have, like that people just kind of talk incessantly, And it has to do with the proximity that someone is to your face and they're touching you and they're like right in your intimate space. And I would assume that that would be somewhat similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, be like me and my barber Drew.
Speaker 2: Shut out. George George Catlan just wanted them.
Speaker 1: I'm coming to see it. Bouddy, look at this springing ship up and bring him bear. Okay, I will not be George was one of these barbera and Benton vil Arkins. You remember the other one, Clay the artist that it was. George Callen was one of them who was the other one he was the guy that painted this one. Ye Curtis, last name Curtis.
Speaker 2: Robert John Curtis. Yeah, yeah, excellent.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you do you When I posted these pictures on my Instagram, Well, it was a guy that listened to the podcast. I think sometimes text cannot be translated sometimes in the spirit it was given. But the guy was like, oh, man, I can't believe that Ostiola looked like that. I was expecting a badge to the Bone Warrior and here this guy is.
Speaker 2: The description says he had an effeminate face.
Speaker 1: They all said that. And anyway, the guy was like disappointed with the paintings, and h and some other bear greazers came in and like kind of ridiculed the guy, like come on, dude, this is And I even got on there and said, yeah, this wasn't a portrait of Ostiola, like the in the swamps. This would be this would be equivalent to like a president wearing a tuxedo being painted, you know, like, it wasn't like a rugged and it's not the image of Osiola we want to see. I got what the guy was saying, like I wanted to see him out in the swamps and his war war outfit, which may not have been much different than that. But but uh, anyway, the guy came later, would come on when we all started kind of challenging him, and he was like, man, he was a good guy. He was just kind of being funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've tried to steer away from doing too many dates, but there's an important date in this podcast. So what was the date Osciola died?
Speaker 1: Hmmm, that's that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Got it, Okay, Misty January sixth, January sixth, we got a January sixth, We got a January sixth.
Speaker 1: Bear January sixth, eighteen thirty eight, January sixth, You guys are influenced by modern American politics. Well, he just.
Speaker 2: Said it's eighteen thirty eight. Gary got the year right, That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Dad.
Speaker 2: Is January the thirtieth at six at six am, six six six, six twenty.
Speaker 1: I think it was six twenty six.
Speaker 3: Well, it was January sixth in the Puckets, that's.
Speaker 1: When they were transported to Charleston.
Speaker 6: That's the only date that I heard in the whole podcast.
Speaker 1: And in that date is now part of American history. In January sixth, the insurgent.
Speaker 3: It'd be like you saying September eleventh, you're gonna remember that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, two more questions. Wow, wow, we're running it down here to whom was the preserved head of Osceola, reportedly given to by Whedon's son in law, doctor Daniel Whitehurst. Gentlemen in New York. Famous famous family. Wow, famous family. Doctor Wickman talked about his family. Last name will work for me. We're going to start with Gary nukeomb this time. Gary, good job, Bear nothing Ben.
Speaker 3: I do remember the Motts now that Yeah, I didn't get it in.
Speaker 2: A ton Rockefeller, Mott, the correct Gary and Clay.
Speaker 1: Here's what this is. This, this is my dream that everybody that listens to on podcast, every every Bear Greezer out there, when they walked through the grocery store and they see Mott apple sauce, that they'll tell their kids that guy probably in their family. Someone knows where I'll seeal his head is because because he had it could be I mean, I I wouldn't that be. I would be I would be really proud if I overheard that conversation in that store, little kid and a buggy and a dad or mom going those guys right, there have Ostiola's head, Am I right?
Speaker 2: That would be great.
Speaker 6: I don't know if that's something you should say to your little kid.
Speaker 2: What they should use that in their advertising campaign mon Apple sauce keepers of the head of Osio.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think the Seminoles would be happy with that. I don't think that go over well.
Speaker 2: Okay, last question, this is a This is an easy one. Folks mentioned on two separate podcasts who wrote the hit song seminole when Blue Blue.
Speaker 1: Surely we're all going to get this.
Speaker 2: Don't show everybody yet, but not everybody's answered. Okay, Misty, your friends is growing John Anderson, John Anderson.
Speaker 1: The answer is John Anderson, John Anderson.
Speaker 2: So who had the most?
Speaker 3: I had to to one point five for me, I feel like.
Speaker 6: A Rockefeller should have probably come a little further.
Speaker 2: We've got a tie here. I had two and a half, two and a half Gary half a point that done the patriarch of the Wukham family Winter. Let's give Gary Neukom a hand. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 7: Play you should take it personal that we don't remember the details. It's not really the I wouldn't remember details unless, like I wrote, something down. That's the only way I remember.
Speaker 1: Well, you need to start taking Yeah, no, no, it was tough. Okay, we're wrong, We're gonna we're gonna close down with uh just uh not closed down. But I want to go around. What was the most impacting part of this? That what surprised you the most? Did you? Would you have known that anything about Ostiola Lostola, Arkansas?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a yeah, No, I've thought about this quite a bit, so my answer will be very astute. The fact that just two thousand of them, the whole American government, the power of the whole military, couldn't whoop these folks. Yeah, I mean they're still here. In her last comment, that didn't impact what I was thinking. My thinking was really there was there was five thousand, ended up being about two thousand, wasn't there in Florida?
Speaker 1: And that number even dwindled down to five hundred.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they just couldn't they couldn't get them out of swamps.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 4: It kind of reminds me of some wars America has been in. You know, it's hard to beat a guy when he's in his own turf. Yeah, So anyway, that that's kind of pretty wild to me, it is.
Speaker 1: It really that's a good that's a good comment. Good comment. Bear what stood out to you? I think cutting off the head in the name of science was pretty grimy, like the putting it in a jar, putting it out, you know, in his little store there. I don't know. That part just didn't really make a ton of sense to me. Well, I'm glad you brought that up, because I want to talk about it. Was he a villain or was he a man of science? Because did you not hear the contexts that I built around I thought that thing by Theta Purdue, the modern paper that was like, hey, this was the time period when all of a sudden, for the first time in history, the world was interested in the material culture of ancient civilizations. And what you didn't see I just read a paragraph out of that thing was that there was a big movement going on with the Indian Removal Act of eighteen thirty that everybody thought that Native Americans were going to be completely wiped out from the earth, like gone, like never, and and so they were trying to like some people were thinking, man, we got to preserve this, you know, we got to somehow hold on to this. As part of history because that was when the bunch of stuff in Egypt and all these things started popping up, and we never had interest in that stuff before. So, Okay, here's what I think. I think that maybe, like to an extent, it was kind of justifiable in the name of science to cut off his head. But I think a lot of times, like in the same way that like, you know, some like snake guys might be a little bit goofy, like they're really good with snakes, but they're kind of like, you know, parts of you know, some can be a little bit just say what you're thinking. I don't know what you're thinking. I think someone could be a little bit crazy. I think this guy might have been a really good scientist chopped off the head, did some good science, but was also just a little bit crazy. I agree. Putting it out on display in a grocery store or whatever it was, Yeah, yeah, yeah, an apothecary.
Speaker 7: I think that's that was I'm going to jump off of bear. I'm going to kind of cut in line because this is the part that.
Speaker 6: I did. I disagreed with the context around it. I think that it just speaks to their total.
Speaker 7: Disconcern with the native Americans to just and it.
Speaker 6: It made me so sad.
Speaker 7: I mean that that's the just how they how little they thought of them, that they're burial rituals and there, that they would just you give that to him. I mean, if you had respect for Osciola, you give that to his people. You let them, you let them follow their rituals and mourning green appropriately.
Speaker 1: And now I'm not believe me. I'm on Ostiola in the Seminoles side one hundred percent. That's why I told the story. But they were prisoners of war. It yeah, I mean, what did they do? What did they do when they killed Osama bin Laden dumped his body in the ocean? Did they not?
Speaker 2: I have I don't know. Did they think they did? Because they didn't.
Speaker 1: They didn't want they didn't want it to be honored in that culture. If they buried him somewhere, it would become.
Speaker 7: It's not you've kind of set it up where we can't disagree with you or else. Really completely unpatriotic.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm on your side. I'm on your side.
Speaker 7: I think I just they had enough respect for this man to want his head so I mean, and to be intrigued with it.
Speaker 2: I just who who did had enough respect for him that he wanted his head. I have a different I have a different opinion, but I don't I don't know that it's I don't know that you can can classify as hero or villain. I think he was an opportunist, Yeah, I think, I mean by the things that he took off of off of his body, you know, he kept those gorgets, he kept the other things, and then he kept his head because he was an opportunist. It was it was I mean, and maybe this makes him a villains what he was he was. He was an opportunist and he saw it was a it was a novelty to him.
Speaker 7: Sure, I think opportunist is a really nice way of saying a greedy Yeah, a greedy jerk. And I think that's what he was. I think that's what he was. And to the point of yeah, it's just file Yeah.
Speaker 1: I couldn't you could tell. When I was talking to doctor wig Went, I was shocked that she didn't just immediately go, he's a villain. And I appreciated her trying to show me the other side of the story that maybe he wasn't, because it just kind of that's the thing about history is that you can just label somebody just like bam, just like villain, and you know, maybe he wasn't because I mean that was two hundred years ago. Two hundred years ago. Just it doesn't make it right. But society was way different. And I think it's hard to get around the fact that these were at this time as prisoners, powerless people without any rights, and he knew he could take advantage of it and get away with it. Like what if it had been a US president, would he have been able to cut off the head and keep it and nobody cared?
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 1: I mean during that time, the Native Americans were absolutely marginalized. I mean, this is like fifty years before the Civil.
Speaker 2: Rightsola was famous by them. He was keeping the head of someone famous. It wasn't an Indian, it was a famous leader. Yeah, Native American leader. So I think he was I think he was looking for I mean, it was an okwar. I mean I can just picture this guy, you know that at some point being like, hey, you want to see the head off the.
Speaker 6: Old I mean you put it in his grocery store.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that's that's just what they did. What I mean that I think I think during that time and now I think it's also of note that during that time was was with with well, especially when the Civil War came. It's like medical science really went through like the roof because they were they had bodies to study and dissect and do a bunch of weird stuff that we don't want to talk about. But that's actually we ride on the shoulders of that knowledge today, you know. I mean it's like it's like we don't know. Nobody I know wants to be a mortician. I'm sure there's some morticians out there listening to Bear.
Speaker 2: Greys, thank you for what you do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's like somebody's got to do that, and it and and somebody had to understand the anatomy of the human body. And it's not a justification for taking the head of a of of of Ostiola, but it just kind of puts it into context. I think it was nefarious, I absolutely do.
Speaker 3: I think I think here's there's many things I want to say. This is actually my takeaway was this story. If you're gonna villainize villainize something, it shouldn't be the person. It should be the culture and the mentality that he grew up in which, like you're saying, absolutely viewed Native Americans other ethnicities as lesser human and there's plenty of documentation for that, and there was even like a scientific theory behind that. But I like that you're bringing in the context because it was kind of a golden age for science, and we really don't appreciate how much has happened in the past couple hundred years with that. Even simple things about people being organ donors, well, you know, in the Middle Ages, that would not be allowed, Like the Europe was so far behind medically because of this dogma around corpses and organ and stuff like that. And and so to bring back like that science discussion from earlier, scientists have had to had to pioneer and suffer a lot in the name of getting to find out things that we now benefit from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: That's something just to consider, is like, yeah, they had some jacked up stuff that mentalities, but these guys viewed themselves as like the cutting edge pioneers. And when there's a lot of progress, there's some messed up stuff that happens in the process. But I do think and this is I'm not a specialist in there in this area. I think if you would have had one hundred guys in a room just like him, in the same profession, I think there probably would have been equal number of guys that wouldn't have been opportunistic, and thought, well, let's maybe think about this just for a moment, because it was it is pretty pretty extreme in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a good that's a good way to say. You know. What was interesting to me I was surprised to hear doctor Wickman say that she believed the head was still around. And then when she began to describe to me her search for Osiola's head and and and basically opened up the door of like, oh, if you understand medical the medical systems, and the museum systems and the archives that some of these places have, you understand how you could lose a head in a jar, and how it would be very probable that that head is somewhere right now and maybe it's unlabeled, or maybe it's you know, all the different scenarios. And I was fast. I had no idea that she had searched for Osciola's head as extensively as she had, and uh, she's fully convinced that it's somewhere and uh and and uh and and Jake Tiger as I understood it, and I just took a clip of what he said to what he said was actually longer, but I mean he actually believes it's in California at that Bohemian club.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I mean that's what his somebody in his family had told him, you know that it's there.
Speaker 2: But I think it's one of those things that could have easily gotten lost in the archives.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it could be sitting on a shelf in a museum somewhere and people just just wouldn't know it.
Speaker 6: Yet or accidentally gotten thrown away.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think that's just as probable.
Speaker 1: Or I thought it was pretty a valid point that what if you're Duke University and you know you have it, and you know that if you come out with it in twenty twenty four that you are going to be just lambastard by the world. How did you get this? Why have you not told this until now? And it's like this will never be known that we had this, you know some you know something like that.
Speaker 2: It's doctor Whedon all over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if you have the whereabouts of this this artifact called.
Speaker 2: The seminoles of Florida yep, and.
Speaker 3: The music to Unsolved Mystery.
Speaker 6: In my entire.
Speaker 1: Well, uh yeah, So Josh, what was your favorite part?
Speaker 2: I thought it was fascinating just the story of of how they treated those Indians in Charleston. I mean, taking them to a play. I mean, that's crazy. It's it's weird to me. It's always a fascinating to me, the dichotomy of how people treat some of these prisoners and that that they're respected and and while at the same time there they're criminals. I was I recently talked with a I was talking with a with a judge and uh, he was talking about he used the term and I can't remember the exact term, but basically.
Speaker 1: Were you were you in court?
Speaker 2: I'm not allowed to say, but he talked about people who who were good people who committed crimes, and then you had people who were clearly just bad people who committed crimes, and how the jury would often treat these criminals had they done you know what, I mean, maybe done the same thing, but been lenient with one and hard on the other. And I think about, you know, this guy who really I mean, he really just wanted to protect his land and his people. It wasn't like he was a terrorist and going and committing acts in New York City, but he was wanting to and and people could could sympathize with that. And so I think that that produced this this you know definitely, you know, being in a prison in in in Florida, lice and measles and all this stuff, and then being moved to better conditions than Charleston, and then you know, being taken to place in town, and it's just it's interesting to me to see that dichotomy of how how he was treated and then and then you know, just dying from an infection. You know, who's to say, Who's to say had he lived, what would have happened to him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, who knows. I think guys like that have would have a hard time living after defeat.
Speaker 2: Yep, he probably would have slipped into oblivion somewhere like Daniel Boone, you know what I mean. Daniel Boom was famous at one time.
Speaker 1: But but I think a guy like Ostiola, and this is why we're still talking about him, is he was so he so didn't have a plan B right that I think if they had took him to Florida, or they had took n taken him to Oklahoma. I mean, I don't just something would have happened like what I mean, he just would have died there because.
Speaker 2: He Oh yeah, it would have taken the life out of him.
Speaker 1: Well I'm saying he would have.
Speaker 2: Or you think there would have been an uprising?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I just think that just was like where he was at. But Misty, what was your favorite part? Well?
Speaker 6: I thought, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: You thought we already talked.
Speaker 6: I did. I wasn't planning to say anything else that sometimes I have to prepare. That's fine, I thought that I did.
Speaker 7: I will just say I did think that what Patricia did with the play was pretty incredible that she went and wrote it all down and and then had them come and read it.
Speaker 6: I was just like, this woman's very hard.
Speaker 1: I wish, I wish, I wish we could have Patricia. It would be awful.
Speaker 2: Chain I actually got to talk to her on the phone a little bit, and she is everything that you hear on the on the podcast.
Speaker 6: She would have definitely want.
Speaker 3: School trivia.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, this has been great. This this has been really great. And the good news is is that there's a whole nother like full throttle Ossiole episode that and already already foreshadowed. There's no shadow a full sunned the what it's going to talk about because in nineteen sixty seven they exhumed Ossiola's head. Brave body, maybe maybe maybe his head was there.
Speaker 6: Say no more, Say no more.
Speaker 2: We don't want to full sun everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean you got a podcast. No no, no, I'm just building anticipation for it. I couldn't include it, like it was just too much to put in this episode. But like there's a whole nother story thing that happened that. The plot just keeps getting thicker in like nineteen sixty seven, since you know, since you were alive, they went and dug up his grave a year after.
Speaker 2: I got out of high school.
Speaker 1: Is that right? I'll be done.
Speaker 2: Were you there?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: No, okay, I missed.
Speaker 1: Hey in closing, Uh I killed this buck the other day and I would have brought that. I've had a it's been a while since I've had a decent year bo hunting. U killed that buck and then I killed another one.
Speaker 2: But let me let me guess. One thirty eight.
Speaker 1: Five eighths close. YEP, pumped about that, good buck.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, Yeah, that's great buck.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks guys,